Speaker 1: You're listening to the Resident Builder podcast with Peter Wolfcamp from News talks'b.
Speaker 2: SO for the first time of my life on Wednesday iPhone talk Back. I'll tell you a bit more about that later on rachel A, very good morning, Thanks for waiting. How are you?
Speaker 3: I think that's okay. Look, I've got a problem here. I've got an old house, about nineteen thirties forties I think, And I got an electrician around him to check the wiring because I was just wanted it all checked. A friend of mine has a wiring house anyway. He really frightened me. Oh co electrician, He really said, he found I've got what he said, the wiring. Someone was old. He said, found conduit cables presence on the lighting between floors, advised customer. And what does that mean? He said, I would get the lighting fixed. I'd have to remove the whole top floor and the carpet and everything out of the top floor to have the cables fixed. I mean, I really really was frightened. He said, how are you going to live here? I said, well until I die. He said, well, I wouldn't advise that. He said, I'd give you maybe one or two years. I mean so frightening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and look that he probably the electrician. I mean, look, by all accounts, get another electrician to come along. And this is the worst part of human nature is that, you know, what we hope hasn't happened, is that an electrician has come along and decided that they will put the fear of God into you basically about the state of your electrical wiring and get you to do work that's not necessary. Now, I think that's quite unlikely, so I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. They are professionals, right, There is genuine concern around that type of old electrical cabling.
Speaker 4: So if i'd you at cable, yeah, So typically.
Speaker 2: What they'll be describing is for the vintage of your house, there will be metal conduit that runs through the building. It'll run through the mid floor because your house is too story, it'll run down the wall, and then inside that the original electrical cabling. Now I'm a carpenter, I'm not an electrician, but I've worked on a number of old houses and I've spent a lot of time with my electrician looking at these sorts of things. So you'll have metal conduit inside that will be. It's often a cloth coated electrical cable right now, that phrase and deteriorates over time. We're talking if it's nineteen thirties, we're getting close to one hundred years old, right, And the concern is that as that phrase, it may cause a short and it will have a spark, and that spark could then cause a fire. And this is not uncommon and it's a genuine concern. So if what the electrician has found is that your live electrical cables us or your lights for example, are still turning on and turning off because they run through this old cable, there is a genuine concern there, and certainly when they encounter it as professionals, they have to advise that it should be removed. For example, if you buy a new house, or if you buy a house today and it's an older if it's anything pre nineteen forties, your insurer will ask you is there any old existing electrical cabling right or has the cabling been upgraded? Then we're onto the practical side of removing it. And in fact, one of the electricians that I work with number of years ago, I did exactly that for them. It was a renovation to a two storied house, probably nineteen thirties. And I came along and the floors had been the carpet had been removed, or the floors were just stripped flooring, and he gave me an idea of where he needed to go, and I very carefully cut and removed the flooring so that he could get access to the mid floor. Because you've got two choices, right, One is to pull the ceiling down, which is a lot of work. The other is to make changes to the flooring, which is still quite a bit of work, but it's easier to repair. So I went through and I removed boards carefully. He then could strip out the old cable, or you don't even need to strip it out. You just need to deaden it, right, you need to deactivate it. Then he ran new electrical cable through, connected up all of the circuits again, and then I repaired all of the floorboards. But it's it is a time consuming, and time is money, and that's where it gets expensive to do that.
Speaker 3: Huge He said, yeah, that's right, he said, he wouldn't. I've got really beautiful sculpted ceilings. He said, you wouldn't.
Speaker 2: You don't want to pull those down. So he's right there.
Speaker 3: He said, I have to the whole top floor, everything I've got on the top floor, rip up the carpet, get a carpenter. And I mean, this is a company I've used for years. I don't doubt you know that their veracity. But it's just absolutely terrifying it. I have no idea. I don't know what shall I do, well, what will I do? Reduce to get the conduit cables you know, removed or what I mean, I don't know what to do.
Speaker 2: You don't necessarily need to remove them. But the concern is if you've got electric, you know, electricity flowing through these old cables inside the conduit. The conduit obviously it's metal right now. What happens there is if you get electrical contact with the metal, the metal will become live, right, and you have potential for electrocution. In some cases, you certainly have potential for fires to start from freyed cabling. And that's the concern. And unfortunately, there's no other way to look at it than to go Actually, experience teaches us this is a genuine concern. There is some risk involved in leaving it. It's not inevitable that either an electrical fault will occur or a fire will start. But it is a genuine risk. It is the reason that we go through and replace old cabling like that.
Speaker 3: So is that what I've got to do? Replace the old cabling?
Speaker 2: I think that Let's say, you know, if you've used the electrician for years, they're not there to you know, make work where there isn't work if you want to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. I don't think that. He checked the rest of the he said he checked wearing in the house, including switchboard sockets, and like, yeah, found conduit cables. Is that the problem? The conduit cables? But I mean, I just can't consider doing that. I know, I had the whole top floor removed, and you know, I don't There must be something, surely something else I could do.
Speaker 2: Sometimes there just isn't. That that's the really hard thing, right, So if I mean there might be some creative ways to solve the problem.
Speaker 3: I thought i'd did what i'd do. I interrupt, You get another opinion. Also, I'm not going to live in fear, and I'm not going to do it once I can't afford it to do the whole house, and I'm just not going to do it. You know, I just feel as if I just don't want to do anything. It came. This became completely out of the blue. I had no idea, So I think I'll get it setind opinion. Do you say that's a good idea?
Speaker 2: Yes, But I suspect given you know, if you said to me, I got an electrician in who I don't know, and I've never met them before, and I don't know anything about their background, and they've told me there's a part of me that would be suspicious. But what you're telling me is this is electrician that you've built up a working relationship with over a number of.
Speaker 3: Years the company.
Speaker 2: You have no reason to distrust them, right.
Speaker 3: Don't distrust them.
Speaker 2: So in that sense, I think, yes, get another opinion, and look what might be possible. I guess I'd like to think of myself as pragmatic. So if I was in your situation, well, let's be blunt. If you were my mum, right, you know what I mean, I'd say, Okay, I get it. So what can we do to reduce the risk. And what we might end up doing is disconnecting those circuits and you have a light in the middle of the room. Maybe we'll just run some conduit, some trunking across the ceiling and give you a light that's safe, and then someone else will fix the big problem. And the fact that it hasn't been fixed is also not that surprising because it often that type of task goes into the too hard basket, or we do it when we're doing an extensive renovation in the house. You know, we might be adding on or we might be pulling up flaws or whatever, and you do it then just doing it and not doing anything else as part of a renovation. I'm not surprised that it's been left in the two hard basket.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: See, I don't use that light. He found crackling in the light switch in the bedroom. But I don't use that light anyway. So that would minimize a risk, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: It would, But I mean, you know, it would be unwise of me to advise you just to well, just don't use the light, because you know, it probably is indicative that other things are happening inside the house that you may not be as aware of. So the other thing to do is, if you want to, you can get so. Electricians obviously are registered. There are also registered electrical inspectors who will be perhaps a little more independent and if you want and typically it's another layer of qualification. So if you want it to have someone inspect the property, look for a registered electrical inspector and ask them to come out and have a look at it.
Speaker 3: How do I get registered electrical inspector?
Speaker 2: Just do a Google search for electrical inspectors in your area and names will come up. Whereabouts in the country are you, Rachel.
Speaker 3: I'm an Auckland okay.
Speaker 2: Um, look offut I'm more than happy to recommend someone. So if you would like me to give you a number, I'm more than happy to do that. Just stay on the line and I'll get Isiah to take your number. I unfortunately, Rachel, I think it is going to be a big job and someone's going to have to do it, whether that's you're the next owner, but someone's going to have to fix it. It is six fifty one. We will talk to Daryl in just a moment.
Speaker 6: Ut U.
Speaker 2: F you and news talk zaid be oh eight one hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call now. For some reason, I haven't ah text messages. I knew that there was something missing in my life this morning. I had something covering that. Pete. I'm an electrician too. The metal conduit is usually well earthed, so if a short should it should blow the fuse. In the past, I've drawn new conduit wire through the existing old conduits to get rid of the cloth insulated cables. You can upgrade the spitchboard and install RCDs in circuit breakers to detect the short. So maybe there is a way. Someone has come through and said suggesting a electrical inspector was a good idea. Hopefully that is the case. M Oh, that's a good one too. Someone else is suggesting can you pull wires through by attaching to the old ones? Yeah, but often they snag And I mean if you've ever pulled out old metal conduit from houses of that vintage, the inside diameter is probably about I don't know, twelve to fourteen millimeters, and if you look at a bit of well, if you have to draw through two point five tps, it's pretty hard and as soon as you hit a corner you're a bit snooker, to be fair. So thank you very much for those people who tax through their suggestions that it is a genuine challenge there Morning Peak We've got a nineteen sixties bathroom with a nineteen sixty house, small bathroom. Want to remove the dividing wall and then reclad can this be and then tile the walls and the floor. Once you start tiling and those sorts of things and pulling out an internal petition, I think typically that triggers a requirement for a building consent, and it'll always be one of those things where someone looks at it later on goes, oh, it used to be two rooms, now there's one. Did they get a building consent for that? And if you say that you didn't, then it can make getting a sale and purchased through a lot more difficult. We're back straight after New Sport and Weather Top of the Hour at.
Speaker 7: Seven us.
Speaker 8: Ut US.
Speaker 2: Alrightio, good morning, welcome back to the show. Just prior to the news, we were talking with Rachel about situation that she has uncovered, let's say, in her nineteen thirty two storied house, which is that the cabling that runs through the mid floor, so probably mainly for lighting circuits, is in the old it's basically the original wiring, right, so it'll be probably metal conduit or will be metal conduit with most likely a cloth coated or covered electrical wire, So you've got the copper wire and the inside and then like a cloth around the outside. That's how they made electrical cable in the nineteen thirties, and so there is significant concern around what happens when that shorts out and those sorts of things. So a number of very helpful I take it electricians of texts through and thank you for your text talking about this. In one of the suggestions, it's a big job to get access to all of that mid floor. Do you take the ceiling down, what's a beautiful decorative ceiling? Do you lift the floors? Their lovely tongue grew floors. How do you do that? In rear and stated and so on. So it's going to be a big job. And this is kind of unexpected and a little bit daunting for Rachel who's the owner of the property. And then some other people have taxed through and said, oh what about drawing through new cable through the existing conduit? And I was looking at it, going okay, well, if you go, you know, and you look at a piece of electrical cabling, now it'll often be the two or three copper wires or more each of them sheath and then in a coating around the outside. That's that white coating that goes around the outside, that's TPS. That's really hard to get through. But apparently you can get individual wires and try and drag them through the existing conduit. So there will be ways of doing it, but it is going to end up being I think a fairly significant undertaking and probably reasonably expensive, and if you're not expecting that, then that's a challenge to get your head around that. So yeah, there are options to pull through new PBC conduit wires. So it's like the individual strands within TPS. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call. Bear with me for just a second. So just to round off that story, I was telling you about sitting at home doing some invoices, doing some admin on Wednesday just for the midday news, listening to carriers I do most days, and there was lots of discussion. So out of a new government announcement talking about potentially upping the level of fines that could be imposed on LBPS for poor workmanship, right, you know, maybe for an individual up to fifty thousand dollars for a company up to one hundred and fifty thousand dollars, And so there was lots of discussion about lbps and how what it's like to get licensed, and who gets licensed and who controls it, and are there sufficient standards in place that we can feel confident that an LBP is going to be competent. If you are an lb are you competent? Can you? Can you as a consumer be confident? Anyway, there was a gentleman caller who was talking about having done their time back in the day, eight thousand hours, lots of experience, didn't think much. He said, look, I remember when the LBP thing came out. It's about ten fifteen years ago. There were guys who were bus drivers are going along and deciding that they wanted to be an LBP. You know, you just sign up and you become an LBP. I was listening to that thing.
Speaker 9: Yeah, not really.
Speaker 2: And then he went on to say, and that guy Pete wolf Camp on the radio on Sunday. He said he went and did a two week course at I don't know, UNI Tech or something like that and calls himself a builder. And I sat there and I listened to it, and I thought did I hear that correctly? And then I thought, am I a thin skinned person? Do I need to respond to that? And then I thought, yes, I do, I will respond to that. So I rang and Helen Carey's producer to be fear burst out laughing when she heard me phone through, and then she went, do you want to talk to carry? And I went, yeah, I think it might be a good idea. So just to be clear in case anyone had any doubts or this this particular gentleman still listening, I first started building a nine eighty seven. I did my formal qualification so New Zealand Trade Certificate and carpentry through UNI Turk sometime around nineteen ninety nineteen ninety one. So by that time I had done and could prove four thousand hours of experience. So did four thousand hours, did night school effectively for a year, sat the exam past the exam, and that's how I got my New Zealand Trade certificate way back then. Then, over the years I've done a little bit more training, including New Zealand Green Building Council and but some pieces and have worked in the industry, not continuously over that time, but for a significant amount of time, and then I thought, Okay, so what's it like Because I was became a license building practitioner in twenty twelve, and so I thought, I wonder what it's like today, And so I went through and effectively applied again or went to the online portal to register to become an LBP. And you do need to prove learning. You do need to prove that you actually have a trade qualification in New Zealand to allow you to become an LBP. And I know a heap of guys who had tremendous amount of experience, you know, twenty thirty years on the tools, very good builders who had never had any formal qualification, and they really struggled to go through the LBP scheme back then. And I suspect that it's the same now. So anyway, just wrapping that up, yeah, I thought, ah no, I'm not gonna sit there and listen to that and have no response. So that was an exciting Wednesday. Oh wait, it's been an exciting week for a whole number of reasons. Anyway, we're into it. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. Welcome along to the show. We're going to talk to Mike Olds shortly actually about LBP classes because again I think it's maybe a little bit more complex than most people understand in terms of LBPS, because we tend to talk about LBP builders quite a lot. But in fact there are seven licensing classes, including external plastering, and that's where Mike from Razine Construction Systems is an expert in that particular area. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number, Daryl, thanks for waiting. Good morning to you.
Speaker 10: Good morning, Peter. We're doing some renovations on our house and bring up some stray aboard and double glazing in the house. But it's what that comes along the change in color of the roof. We have a viral roof, and I'm just wondering if you've had any experience or have an opinion on liquid membrane coatings on on iron or tintile roofs.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Interesting, very interesting that you raise that. Yeah, it really is all about the preparation right so in because like if you is your roof at the moment.
Speaker 10: Leaking, it's it's got a couple of small legs, which you know obviously part of you know, any liquid membrane coating they would repair. The roof is also nailed, it's of the age its nails and the toiles are not screwed, so they would screw it as well. So yeah, just yeah, I just don't know anything about it. It's sort of quite new to me.
Speaker 11: And yeah, I've.
Speaker 2: Seen it, and I guess I've never had the opportunity to use it. I was involved in a serious discussions recently with some roofing contractors about exactly that system, and in the next week or so, I'm actually going out to have a look at a job that's been done with one of those types of systems, so i'll be a bit more informed then. Unfortunately, this was a job that's actually failed, right, But typically failure with coating systems tends to come down to preparation. So I think we've got to be realistic and go if someone rocks up at your place, looks at your roof and goes, oh, we can you know, spray a magic liquid over the top of that and it'll be tickety boo, then that's not going to work if they haven't done the preparation right. So, and I'm curiou about your comment about they will fix the leaks that are there, so they're not reliant on the coating to then repair the leak. So they're not just going to spray a membrane over the top and that's going to fix it. They're actually going to mechanically, you know, whether an under flashing or a repair to the leaks. And then I mean, I agree with them. If you're going to take out the nails and redo that with screws, you're going to have better fixing, which would be a good thing. And then yeah, I mean, you know, I have to say, I do quite I understand the appeal, and I quite I quite like the theory behind it, but it's it is always always going to be about the preparation. How thoroughly have they cleaned it, what's the let's say, the ch primer that they might use those sorts of things, that's going to be really important.
Speaker 10: A certainly they're advertising sort of in the case they do all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and then it becomes you know, I suppose look, keeping it aloe you would it with any contractor you keep an eye on it, or you have someone else come and inspect the work to determine whether or not it's done as per the instructions and the warranty documents and those sorts of things. So yeah, look, it's worth investigating, but it's also worth making sure that people.
Speaker 12: Do it right.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, okay, all.
Speaker 2: Right, all the best here, all right, you take care. Say there, who can get the fifty thousand dollar fine? Was it the LVP? Yeah, well that's what's being proposed. So the other thing that I think it's worth mentioning is that at the moment, government, through the various ministers and so on, are talking a lot about changes, and what seems to have happened is that people are now, like, for example, with the sixty square meter building that might be able to be done without necessarily requiring a building, can sen etctera, et cetera. People are some people, not everyone, but some people are going it's already there, right, it's already law. Let's get started. It's not the case.
Speaker 12: Right.
Speaker 2: A lot of these things are up for discussion in the same way that potentially extending the fines for poor and incompetent or you know, work without due care and diligence would be increased, maybe up to fifty thousand dollars for an individual one hundred and fifty thousand dollars for companies. The hard thing is, and if you read any of the determinations, either through the open Justice page on the Herald website and that sort of thing, finds will be issued. But do people ever actually get paid or do people pay their fines? That's a really hard thing. Oh, eight one hundred and eighty ten eighty. We will keep talking all things building in construction. But given that lbps have been in the news so much in the last week, including myself, I thought it would be a good chance to catch up with Mike Olds, who's a regular contributed to the show. Micers from Razine Construction Systems who are specialists obviously in exterior cladding. It's one of their specialties. Mike, A very good morning.
Speaker 13: To you, Mining Teak.
Speaker 6: Hey.
Speaker 2: Lbp's have been in the news quite a bit, and I think sometimes when we in terms of the general public, when we talk about LBPS, we do tend to focus just on building, but in fact there's seven specific license classes, including external plastering.
Speaker 13: Yeah. Correct, And I was listening to the show last week, and obviously WESPO spoke about earlier. Was the whole focus seemed to be around the builders a major part obviously in the buil environment. However, there are as you stated, seven licensed classes total, and they all have varying degrees of skills replied obviously prick and block playing, your rousing, your design even down of the foundations. You know, in another critical areas, particularly around the envelope and the structure, the generally the dominant licensed classes. So when we're talking about issues and things like that that we're getting raised last week in terms of competencies of and it was real focus on the builders, and I was like, well, there's all these other professional LBP trades that connect and work with builders to complete these projects, you know, so there's there's multiple points or multiple touch points to get something right. And we looked at it many many years ago, and there was In plastering, for example, we have two strands and one is the traditional sil of plastering strand and then there is the proprietary plaster strand. So the proprietary plaster strand is the latest, I suppose, with the new technologies and systems over the last twenty five thirty years, where the contractors literally supply and install the substrates and the flashing suites and then do their their liquid applied plastering the to the projects. Whereas back in the day the builder was heavily involved with, for example, stucco, they would supply the substrate and do all the flashing work and things like that, and then equally, even with the solid back in the day solid rendering, you would have a contractor to do the plastering and then it was up to the painter that he was coming through to finish the plastering work, to do the ceiling and things like that openings and penetrations, whereas nowadays we tried to isolate it and make it to a point where one contractor is competent and responsible to do the supply and install of the flashing, the substrate, the coating systems, etc. So you only had one touch point, so to speak, in terms of responsibility and warranties and things like that from a singular supplier such as ourselves. So it really clearly defines where the level of where the responsibilities lay, and that happens with a number of other trades as well. So you'll have a roofer, for example, it will use a specific roofing product and they will align with a particular supplier who they know and trust that will provide the detailing, the technical support to ensure that the end result when they get their trade right, will perform, you know.
Speaker 2: So, and I think that's where, particularly with the resink construction system systems, is that you are getting like all of the contractors are LBPS, aren't they?
Speaker 4: Correct?
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, we don't. We don't sell out the door if you want to. If you want something that's a restricted restricted applied product or restrict restricted under the Building Act, yes, and it requires LBP installation, that's what you're going to get, you know. So everyone everyone listed on our website registered LBP contractors who then have have staff and employees are competent on site to do certain aspects of that particular trade and installation and they oversee that and sign that sign that off.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I think to the other key point we're talking about here is that connection between different trades that that you know, inevitably when we see failure, often it stems from that disconnect between different trades working in together to ensure that the envelope is complete.
Speaker 13: Right.
Speaker 2: If we're talking weather tightness, right, you know, if the chippy's not talking to the roof, and the roof is not talking to the cladding guy or that sort of thing, then you tend to get this disconnect and sometimes failure results from that. So I guess the beauty of particularly your system is from the wrap out to finished product, it's all us, right, We're all linked.
Speaker 13: Together, flashing, ground windows, everything, and on top of that, and we introduced this a number year ago, and it's a full quite assurance program whereby we review the projects that our product is supplied and installed to, and in particular two story projects, whereby we review the roof connections so to ensure that the diverter flashings from the aprons are installed correctly and divert through the cladding line, not diverting straight and behind the clouding.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 13: So there's lot and around joordinery installs and lots of things that we just do checks and balances on that are really just risk details. You generally don't have an issue in the middle of a wall without an open you know, or even if there is these days, you don't. But what I'm saying is that when we look at these trade coordination issues, they've always been critically important and with the reduced level of project management. So if the homeowner or the contracting company hasn't engaged a project manager to manage those trade relationships, and you generally find it the biggest cities speak more of an issue because if you're in the smaller regions, you generally know all the trainees, so you all know each other and you know what jobs are coming up and you can have a chimney about this or that or you know, because people are very reluctant generally to come back, particularly in a bigger city, because they say that's how I've done it, and that's always the way it will be, and they're very lucky to come back and tidy something up if it hasn't been done correctly. So we're just to checks and balances at a very early stage in the process so that it can be adjusted as required to ensure that there's not going to be an issue down the track. And I suppose the testament to that in terms of the callbacks is very very low in terms of product project installations, and it's directly important for surely for the clients when they make your decision for their their largest investment.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, absolutely, mate, I know you've got a flight to catch, so really appreciate the insight into that part of what's a really critical part of our building envelope.
Speaker 13: Yeah, thank you very You might take in.
Speaker 2: All this, Bob. That's my calls from Razine Construction Systems. If you want to know more, Razine Construction dot co dot nz. There's great information on the website about how the systems all go together and also some inspiration as well. If you want to see something that is amazing, check it out Razine Construction dot co dot z. We were talking. So just just to clarify as well. So within the LBP license scheme at the moment as it is, there are license classes for brick and block laying, there is license classes for carpentry, there's license for design, there's license for external plastering, there's license for foundations, there's license for roofing, for site, and then there's another one called all which is an interesting one. But essentially there are involved in the construction and design. There are seven license classes and then within that there are some specific details as well in terms of design one, two, and three. So depending on the size and scope of the building site one, two and three, there's only one carpentry license. And I think this is if I was going to suggest to the who administer this that we could look at doing would be to increase the number of carpentry licenses that in particular, if we're talking about remote inspections, which has been discussed a lot over the last couple of months, you know, there is some concern around how much do you see on a remote inspection, right and how do you know that the person who's guiding you around is not deliberately showing you or not showing you things that as an inspector you might pick up if you go on to site. So I wonder whether within the carpentry license they can start to expand that out and have carpentry one, two, and three reflect and the number would reflect either your competency, your experience, and that sort of thing, and that not every LBP has the right to have remote inspections, that you have to prove your experience and competency to have remote inspections. I think they're a great idea. I've done them in the past or had been involved in the process. But I can also understand why some people are looking at the industry going actually, this might not be the best thing for the sector if we end up all doing remote inspections. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call. It is seven twenty seven SA. I'm just thinking too when we were talking with Mike from Razine Construction Systems, which is part of the Razine Group obviously Razine or also if you got it this morning, you either stayed up and watched the America's Cup so Team New Zealand against Aenios. The first two races were held this morning and it's turning up for Emirates Team New Zealand, which is awesome. And if you wonder how those boats go as fast as they go, well just a small part of it is probably the coatings which are actually razine coatings on the underside of the boat or the exterior of the boat. So remarkable technology and development involved, as you can imagine, in making a pain that or a coating system that will resist and withstand the enormous pressures the speed the boat is going, et cetera, et cetera. So there's some fantastic technology New Zealand technology you know, involved in the America's Cup boats, certainly with Emirates team New Zealand and as it happens. To celebrate this, I am doing a little giveaway on my via my Facebook page. So if you have a look on my Facebook page, there's a couple of questions about the America's Cup boats and about Razine their involvement with it in terms of the coatings. And the prize is a Lego model of Emirates Team New Zealand's boat. So I've got three of those to give away. You just have to jump on the old Razine the resident, build a Facebook page and you'll find the information there. Go into the drawer. You have to answer three questions, but it's worth it. I've actually seen the Lego kit. It is amazing to be fair. So if you want to go on the drawer for that, check out my Facebook page. Resion't Builder. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call. Andrew a very good morning.
Speaker 14: Good morning. Yeah can you hear me?
Speaker 2: I can?
Speaker 14: Yes. Just a minor question. I had a roof leak. I found the tile, the offending tile. Now the roof was under warranty. It's I am allowed to say the name of the company or not.
Speaker 2: Ah, probably not necessary, but i'll see. If they were great, yes, if they weren't, maybe not. So tell me what happened next.
Speaker 14: Well, I ranged them up, and I said, I've got a leak because it came. It came through the ceiling. Yes, and I got I actually got a plumber out because I thought it was a pipe or something. So they cut the big hole.
Speaker 15: Oh yes, and.
Speaker 14: We were well, actually I actually rang rang them up. We could see we'd actually put the hose on the top. We could see it was coming through. It was the porous tile. It was coming through the tile quite quite steadily. So so what I rang up?
Speaker 2: What type of roof is your roof?
Speaker 4: The tile?
Speaker 2: So concrete tile, concrete tile.
Speaker 14: Yeah, So so I rang the company up. I won't mention the name. They They sent one of their guys round and they took they took the offending tile away, and the tower they bought was a slightly different color color. They took one which you couldn't see around the back and put that there. It was highly visible. And then they did a swap. But they didn't offer to pay for the work to Yeah, good back. Yeah, now I thought they should do you think they should have paid for that as well, or just they just guarantee the title, they don't pay for the damage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there is go.
Speaker 14: Through the insurance company because it was hundred thousands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you can. Given that they didn't cut a hole in the ceiling to find the leak, they would probably argue you didn't need to cut a hole in the ceiling to find the leak, right, we would if you had a contradicted us first, we would have found it. That would be their argument. And I think there's something more about damages and pieces. But at the same time, you know, I suppose for their reputation, if they had to said to you, look, you know, give us your bank account and we'll put five hundred bucks in or something like that, you would probably feel a lot better about it as well. I have to say it is extremely unusual for a an individual tile to leak like Seriously, I've to be fear I've never actually heard of it before.
Speaker 14: Well I saw it with my very own eyes and I could see it slipping through, you know. And and what what I've done since, because I actually bought the house of a friend of mine and he showed some concerns he's a friend to what he did, because it's like a roof on another roof. And what he did that the top past of the roof has got a gutter to What he did he where the where the pipe goes down that the rain would run in a straight line over the bottom part of the roof to the next guttering. What he did he put he put a hose pipe on where the drain is was so instead of the water running physically over the world, it went through the pipe to the lower part of the guttering.
Speaker 2: It's not you're not painting a particularly pretty picture.
Speaker 14: I have to say no, But I'm just saying what the facts are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, I get it. I just it all sounds a bit hokey. I'm intrigued about the warranty. So when was the roof installed.
Speaker 14: It was two thousand and so it's a bird new house and it happened about five years ago. Okay, So, but they gave a fifty year warranty on the certificate.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay, that's awesome. Hey, look, I'm pleased that sorted. I think you've got very little chance of getting any money out of them for damages. It'll just be one of those things'll it'll take more time and energy than it's worth by the sound of it. But I can also understand your frustration. Appreciate the call.
Speaker 1: Andrew.
Speaker 2: Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call. We'll take short break. We'll talk to Jack in just a moment.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 2: Fantastic text from Nick regarding remote inspections. You start now and you create a register. Every time an LBP has an inspection, you receive a rating depending on how much or what you might fail on say a five star system. A one star rated LBP still has to have on side inspections, whereas a five star LBP will be able to do remote inspections with a random on side inspection every fifth or so. Build to keep your rankings. They did it with truck cofos COFs a few years ago, where everyone you've got a ranking depending on how often you failed or road side inspections. Cheers from Nick Genius, Nick Genius, I think it's a great idea, staggeringly good idea. Thank you very much.
Speaker 16: Nick.
Speaker 2: I like that idea. I'll tell you the other thing just quickly, on the LBP thing that I'm a little I'm surprised that they haven't focused on a little bit more. Is typically the way it works is on your first inspection with council, council will want to know who the LBP is, right, and so you have to present your license to them, and then you're registered. Let's say is the building LBP for that job, And there may well be multiple, but one person gets registered at the beginning, and in some cases, you know the wording of it is you either did or supervised the work. So it is quite possible that a carpentry LBP may well be supervising more than one job, which is okay, But I think there's a practical limit to the number of jobs that you can supervise. So my sense is that there should be a limit to the number of building consents active of building consents that are registered against your name and look with AI and all the rest of it these days, that shouldn't be hard to figure out. So if you end up as an LBP supervising allegedly let's say more than ten live consents, I don't believe you can do that properly, right, that would be my sense. So that should be something that they could look at as well, because you can't tell you I've heard of stories where you know, one lbp will be working in a street doing twenty houses where you can't supervise twenty jobs. You just can't. So maybe that's another thing that they should look at in terms of checks and balances. Oh eight, one hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call Jack A very good morning to you.
Speaker 17: Hey Jack morning.
Speaker 18: Yeah, I'm worrying about a faded color steel roof.
Speaker 19: Yep.
Speaker 18: It was when I bought the house about seven years at the house is about twenty years old.
Speaker 14: Was color steel.
Speaker 18: Starting to fade?
Speaker 13: Yep?
Speaker 18: And now it's sort of gone to a light flight all over. Yes, I have seen them in ash Burton the same, right, I wrong about it. They said it needed to be acid cleaned and then an undercoat in the top coat, but the local painters wouldn't do it, right, Do you know anything about the Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: There have been cases in the last twenty odd years where the coating the actual coating. Now it's really important too that we distinguish between different brands because color steel has become a generic term that we use for any color coated iron, right, and it might be in any number of different profiles. Corrugated st nine hundred whatever. Right, So the coil is coated and then it's into different profiles for roofing. There has been over the years examples where that coating system has effectively failed in the sense that it hasn't held its color for as long as it should, and in some cases the manufacturer has come back and said, okay, well we'll address that, we'll pay for a recoating. I think your situation is slightly different, where given its age and the fact that it has lost some of its color, it becomes probably more of a maintenance issue than a warranty issue, in which case, like listening to our Razine painting experts Jay and Bryce when they're on the show, there's a specific primer that you use onto pre coated metal roofing, and then a roof paint that will adhere to that afterwards.
Speaker 13: Right.
Speaker 2: And it might just mean that if some of your local painters in your town don't do it, you might have to get someone from slow the outside of the village to come and do that. But a thorough washed down the right primer and a top coat will at least give you a color that doesn't look as patchy as yours does right now.
Speaker 18: Thanks for that trouble at all.
Speaker 2: Easy nice, take care of Jack. All the best thaid bye Bay. Oh wait, it's really important, you know, because it's one of those things. It's like when you say we're jibbing the wall, Well, that's you would only be jibbing the wall if you were using jib plasterboard. But there are different types of plasterboard. And in the same way, people often talk about, oh, it's a color steel roof, but color steel is one specific brand. It is possibly arguably one of the more popular brands out there in terms of a manufacturer of color coated steel that is then use for roofing. But it's not the only one, so I've got to be really careful about that. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call. I think we'll take a break. We'll be back in a.
Speaker 12: Mowat us.
Speaker 2: Today. I'm joined by Scott Matthews, chief executive of Easy Build Homes, a company knowen for delivering high quality, modular homes that are perfect for key we living. Two key materials in these affordable homes are jayframe and tryboard, both playing a significant role in their construction very good morning to you, Scott.
Speaker 10: Good morning.
Speaker 2: Now let's start with the jaframe. Tell us why you chose it over other options.
Speaker 17: Yep, we're using jaframe for a number of reasons. We found it to be incredibly structurally sound. We really love the fact that it's dimensionally accurate, and our teams out on site and our team in the factory also love the fact that it's factory dry.
Speaker 2: Now, builders can be we can be a little bit hesitant to try materials. What would you say to encourage them to give jframe a go?
Speaker 17: Yep, great question. We've actually found that once we've introduced jframe to our teams across the country, when we've had an incident where it was unavailable during COVID et cetera, our teams have actually gone slightly madden, gone on the phone complaining about us not using it. So my advice would be to sort of give it a try, and I don't think the guys would look back. It's a very very robust product.
Speaker 2: Another important component of the Easy Build houses is the use of triboard, so it's quite versatile for you. What specific implications are you using it for in the Easy Build homes yep.
Speaker 17: So we're using it for two things pieces. So number one, we use it to aligne pre prepared modular external wall panels so it forms the inside of those panels. And then in addition we use the fifteen mil tryboard on the ceilings which gives a lovely, lovely fish when the house is completed.
Speaker 2: Now, key advantages for triboard in these easy build homes.
Speaker 17: I think there's a couple essentially that's very very robust, So it allows us to have a modular approach and a ship the wall les completed around the country as we do. The other thing as well is we do quite a number of homes that are tenanters. We've done some social housing with the beach houses. We're finding that a number of clients are actually asking to remove the jip from the internal walls actually replace it. We do con triboard because they like the robust nature of the product and the look and finch.
Speaker 2: In terms of you know, the environment and cost are really important things. What's the impact there of using triboard.
Speaker 11: Yeap from.
Speaker 17: It was very very neutral to our business, which of course is a positive when you're trying to create affordable housing. Sure, and we you know, enjoy the fact that you can have an environmental policy and it's all f C Grater timber as well, which is really good from an environmental and a green aspect, because that's quite important to our clients as well.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Now, in terms of the benefits for triboard maintenance longevity, the robustness is key, isn't it.
Speaker 17: Yeah, it is it is. You know, there are sometimes concerns from clients in terms of well it is so robust, what do we do if something happens right? And I think the product is so robust that there is very little that can happen to it. So we've had very very positive feedback and we've also used it in social housing as well, where the clients have just wanted to ensure that they have sort of reduced maintenance costs. So it's better application, fantastic.
Speaker 2: If people want to find out more, check it out online. So have a look for easy build Homes. You'll find it at easybuild dot code z. To learn a bit more about jay frame and tryboard, then go to JNL dot co dot nz. Scott thanks for your.
Speaker 13: Time, Thanks, goodbye, take care.
Speaker 2: Another fantastic text that's just come through as well, Morning Pete. I've been carrying out remote inspections now for four years and I can say it works well in most circumstances. And it's only done after we have built up a good rapport with the builder and his previous on site inspections. We don't do it for everyone yet. There needs to be some checks and balances put in place first regards from Craig who is involved in compliance with a building consent authority. So TBA and I have to say that a number of us in the industry kind of freaked out when the proposal was that they should become the norm, Like essentially remote inspections will become how inspections are done rather than how they could be done. Maybe that'll change. Oh, eight d eighty the number to call.
Speaker 20: Hello John, Yes, hey John, I'll clear. Look, my granddaughter's got a thirties bungalow with that it's got bay windows, and it's got wooden what do you call it, wooden tiles small screw wooden tiles above you know, which are absolutely rotten. And I was suggesting the cheapest way and to hear and the easiest way would be to maybe get rid of the tires or even put on top of them just a sheet of galvanized flat iron. But I'm just wondering how you get on with the flashing because it's rough cars, you know, where it goes up into the.
Speaker 2: Oh, no, that does get really tricky trying to cut in a new flashing into that area.
Speaker 20: Are they normally cutting, are they at an angle or something else?
Speaker 2: Well, it's it's sort of the only way that you can do it where you're trying to get like an apron flashing in. So you'd cut a line with a diamond blade, you know, with on an angle grinder, make a slot into the plaster work, have your flashing come up with a little fold on it that fits into the air, and then a silicon sealant. But it's to be fair, it's not an ideal situation. Ideally, you know, you'd have your flashing extending up underneath the cladding and the cladding coming down over the top by fifty millimeters. But if it's it's a little bit like if you look at flashing sometimes on brick chimneys, and you know, the original ones are often set into the mortar. New ones will often describe a line cut it into the brick and silicon seal it. But you've really got to pay careful attention to how you detail that. And sorry very quickly. So it's a cedar shingle roof.
Speaker 20: I don't know what the timbers I am actually seen it, but it is timber yees small, they're about probably five inches square.
Speaker 2: Okay, craky just now, I've got to go for the news. But I think be really careful about adding another roof over an existing one because these are shues there around condensation.
Speaker 16: H utah.
Speaker 2: Uta, your new succeed by pet Wolf came Ris and I build it with you the morning right through tall nine o'clock. Rud climb past will join us at eight thirty if so. If you have any gardening or entopological questions, wonderful World of Bugs. Rud will be with us at around eight thirty this morning. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call right now if you've got a building construction related question. We'll take your calls right now. Nick, thanks for waiting in A very good morning to you our good morning.
Speaker 5: Thanks for having me, Pete, no trouble. We have a twelve year old house that we moved into after building it, and the last three months or so we've noticed when we flush either of the two toilets, there's a knocking sound at the end of the flush, yep, And I just wondered if it was something that we could have a crack at a thing, or whether it might need a plumber.
Speaker 2: In the knocking sound, it doesn't come from the system or from the toilet suitet itself. It's from the wall nearby.
Speaker 5: Yet sounds like that. You can sort of here it slightly reverberate, yes, since you're in another part of the house too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a couple of things there. One apparently is a thing called water hammer, which is where you have I guess, as water is draining out of the system, more water comes along and that clashes, and that can be fixed with sometimes a pressure reduction valve and that sort of thing. What might be more difficult to fix is if you look at how plumbers will pipe out a house now before pre line. Let's say, you know, because obviously the pipes run down through the knogs and across studs and so on, so plumbers will typically once they finish the pipe out before the lining happens, they'll put a bead of sealant around the all of those penetrations through the timberwork, because obviously as pressure varies, those pipes will move, they'll flex, and to stop them knocking against the timber, they'll do a bead of sealant. Now, if they haven't done a bead of sealant there and the pipe is actually just knocking against the timber, and that's what you hear, that's not an easy fix because the only way to fix it is to get to that specific location, open it up, and fit some sealant there. Right, Okay, So really it does come down to what is the source of the noise and what the issue is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, do you think it's strange that it's only just started to happen having been in the house, you know, as to say you said coming up twelve years that you know, it's not something we've noticed prior to all to a few months ago, So.
Speaker 2: It would be worth getting a plumber, you know, ideally kind of an older experienced one to come in. I mean twelve years. It's not brand new, but it's also not that old. So yes, it's a little bit surprising that it starts to happen. Certainly it was common practice in terms of putting a sealant or bead of silicon to act essentially as a shock absorber around the pipe through the timber would have been commonplace twelve years ago, so I would have expected that they would have done it. The other thing, excuse me just a second, hang on, Oh, I knew it was coming. Sorry about that. The other thing that I think is happening if you're in an older, more established suburb, as the mains pressure pipes the council lines are being upgraded, I think our water pressure to our houses is actually going up right, So it may or may not be a contributing cause. But I think in some cases, and certainly twelve years ago, it's quite possible that the water pressure in the street was less and it was less common back then to put a tempering valve or a pressure reducing valve at the inlet to the house right. So if you don't have that, then all of the pipework inside your house is subject to the pressure that's coming from the road. And typically pipework is designed to operate within a certain limit, and that limit is probably less than what council are able to achieve with their mains water supply. So you know, if you think about having to push water through pipes for tens of kilometers, you want vastly more pressure there than you do inside your house. So again I would actually get professional advice from an experienced plumber to come in. You may find that a pressure reduction valve or a tempering valve at the mains or just where the mains enter the house might solve it. Otherwise they'll give you some advice, but it sounds like a job for a professional.
Speaker 5: Great, thanks.
Speaker 2: All the best, take care. Certainly, the pressure reducing valves are much more common now than ever before, and certainly for years I can remember. You know, we'd just run my house. For example, there's a maine, there's a toby up by the front boundary and it just runs straight into the house and gets distributed through the house. So probably adding a tempering valve to that line. It also gives you, it's quite handy to It gives you an isolation valve where your main supply potentially comes into the house. In some cases we've done them where main supply will come up and then you know, either through the slab or up underneath the house and into the wall, and before it goes and gets distributed throughout the house, just a little sort of like a box with a clip off lid, and you put the tempering valve there. If suddenly you discover a leak, then you just have to get there rather than you know. In some cases shivers if you're in a just thinking about a subdivision a couple of years ago. You know, if you had a leak and you're at the back house and you have to run all the way down the driveway, find which one is your toby, which one is your water main, turn that off and get back again. Put of an issue. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call quick text on the pipe banging, draw a twenty mil hole in the top plate. Fire and some expanding poone a little will lock the pipe in place. That's from Pete. If that is the problem, then that's not a bad solution. Be careful with expanding foam, though it expands a lot more than you might think. In some cases. It's the law of unintended consequences. I go, oh, we heap the funny stories about that too. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call John.
Speaker 20: Good morning, Yeah, morning, Peter Again, I kind of about that flashing thing.
Speaker 9: And oh yeah yeah, but.
Speaker 20: I got a sad in Taranaki, South Taranaki and he needs to put a soakol and so is blocked. Yes, and you can get a guy. I can do a nine hundred milimeter bore, you know, down.
Speaker 13: Into the water table.
Speaker 20: You can postal bar. But I'm just wondering what stops at cave, what stops the sides caving and do you need anything to stop the sides caving in? Or can you just bore a whole and put a grate on the top.
Speaker 2: I would have thought that just boring a hole and putting grate on it, it's not going to work, or if it does work, it'll work for about a week. I So typically with when we describe soakholes or soakage drainage, it's essentially it's you dig, mainly dig, drilling a nine hundred diameter one year it'll work as well. So what you do is you dig in let's say cubic meter out right. Ideally you should line that with geotextile cloth that will stop sediment from filtering in and blocking up the soakage pit, which is the main problem with old ones, and then inside that soakage pit you would put drainage material, so some chunky scoria, and then you would direct the storm water into that and it will just disperse. It'll have a certain volume that'll take catchment, and then it will disperse out and filter into the ground. But if, for example, like old ones that I've dug up, where someone's dug a hole let's say a meter by a meter by a meter so cubic meter, they've put some scoria in it, and they've poked the down pipe into it, well, after you know, five, ten, fifteen, twenty years, it will have just filled up with sediment, in which case it's no longer working. The other type of one, and the one that I've been involved with, is what we call an only hunger type one where we'll actually do drilling one hundred milimeters hole and sleeve that with one hundred mili pipe. Then we'll test the capacity of that so tip in let's say a thousand liters of water, and if it disperses within a certain period of time, then you know you've got sufficient drainage for the size of the house. Once that pipe is in the ground, then we'll excavate around it, put in an actual manhole riser, so those concrete rings, and put a lid on it. And then where the pipe comes up at the bottom, do a half ciphon on it so that it will block if there's excess sediment in the bottom of the chamber and that sort of thing. But you know, it's both of those are a little bit more involved than just digging a hole and letting the pipe go. And certainly if you dug a hole didn't support the sides, it will eventually just collapse.
Speaker 20: And the cloth you put in, how do you attach that to the side?
Speaker 10: Is it just like a.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: So if you look at roadworks and roads often being built now, they'll use like it's a bittom cloth or a heavy geotextile cloth, and you can get sort of more domestic versions of it. But effectively, what it does is that it allows water to pass through, but it will help prevent sediment from being drawn along with that water and filling up the volume of your catch pit, of your soakage pit. So again, if you I mean, you could hand dig it right for that size if you wanted to, but you'd want to lay that down on the bottom, just have it coming up and over the top, start filling it with scoria, and maybe when you get sort of one hundred mil from your top level, fold that cloth over again so that you're completely encapsulating all of the scoria, and then you can dress it off with top soil and leave it as a lawn done one of those years ago as well.
Speaker 20: All right, thankfully, okay, but big scoria.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd go for like fifty mili scoria. So you want something where And the other thing that I do is when I've got my space open, right, and I'll put a bit of scorier in, But then I'll get some drainage coil, you know, like the black snake or something like that that's got the slots in it, and I'll just get maybe a five or six meter length of that and wind it into that into that soakage pit, right, and then fill the story around it. And what I find then is that when you get heavy rain in you get a sudden discharge of storm water into the pit. It gives it somewhere to go, because otherwise, you imagine your pipe comes into the air and it's going to hit the scoria and that's going to prevent it from flowing out as quickly. But if you've got five or six meters of drainage coil in there, then it's got somewhere to go. That's that's what I've done. Okay, thanks very much for all the best. I actually quite like doing them, to be fair. That's probably why I'm as excited as I am talking about them. But look, in the right situation, they're a great solution. You know, the ground in some cases will accept it that amount of water and it'll just filter down into the groundwater. Now I'm a plumber. I'm not a plumber. Rather, I'm a carpenter talking about plumbing things. So a couple of people have texted and pressure limiting valves are not tempering valves. So limiting valve is not a producer. Sorry, A limiting valve is not a pressure reducing valve. A PrV is for low pressure hot water cylinders radio. Okay, So for our earlier caller, Nick, with the hammer, sound the water hammer, potentially get a plumber to look at it. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call if you've got a question. We'll take your calls right through at eight thirty this morning. Then we're into the garden with red climb passed from eight thirty this morning, us you and these talks, it'd be and oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty just a couple of minutes and then we're into the garden with a redcline past someone that's taxed through Taranaki. Clay not a problem, doesn't need any fancy support from Earl. If it's clay, it's trained particularly well, that was it, that'd be the issue there. I think, oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty the number.
Speaker 21: Hell, ok, look I'm looking at insulating a garriage door. Yes, yeah, what what sort of product you recommend?
Speaker 6: You?
Speaker 15: Going to the door.
Speaker 13: Post?
Speaker 15: Synthetic?
Speaker 2: I think in this instance the polystyrene is going to be your best bet. And I think there are actually sort of garage door insulation kits that you can buy. So you know, you just I presume you've got a standards of metal door sectional door sectional or tilted door, all right, so you're just going to add polystyrene insulation to the inside of that. You can bond it onto the back of the metal quite easily. That's going to be your best solution.
Speaker 10: Because of a weight or I think it's.
Speaker 2: More the fact that it will hold together. Right, So I'm trying to think of another product, an insulating product that would adhere and give you a sense of a semi rigid surface on the inside layer.
Speaker 13: Right.
Speaker 2: You know, if you were to use a lofting type material, it's going to be really hard to fix it unless you were going to do that and put another lining on the inside. But then it gets all too complicated. I think simple as good, So I would just go for polystyrene. And I'm pretty sure there are sort of retro fit kits for garage doors available right right.
Speaker 15: The insulation there, he's healed with the material. I've had a struggling a few people about it, and I just wasn't quite sure with the for the probably sorry all the insulations, because a bit of weight goes into those doors, isn't it.
Speaker 2: And again the advantage is polystyrene. And I think if you look at like the great thing is today a number of door companies are doing in seld panel doors and they are all pretty much p ir doors. So it's a form of foam or polystyrene that goes in there as the lining or as the inner and then they'll they'll sheath both sides so the panels themselves are insulated. But yeah, I mean, if you've got a perfectly serviceable garage door, and I presume this is an internal access garage.
Speaker 15: Yeah, it gets very hot in there. That's why it's the place of the sun in the morning. So right in the summer, the tastes like a boiler. Okay, all right in the summer, so we want to keep the heat out of the garage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's all right, Well look at it'll help there, and maybe you want to look at some ventilation or something like that as well.
Speaker 15: But yeah, yeah, is simple. But yeah, basically the door, Yeah, exactly in front of the door, but I.
Speaker 2: Go for the polystyrene king in that instance. Great solution and a very good morning to you.
Speaker 19: Thank you for having my call.
Speaker 9: Pleasure.
Speaker 19: I've had a roof. I had a roof repair done by a company and they hadn't done it properly. They damaged the roof, so they replaced part of the part of the damage, and then that was not a good job. So they've actually totally replaced the roof and I've had it checked over. Since they've been out to correct a few things, I've still got it hasn't been signed off yet, and they've pretty pretty much said that all the flats services have been sealed between the flesh and joins and Code of Practice does not have to well, I stated, kind of ooze out from the jaw and you know when they feel it. So I looked on the Code of Practice and it's got this you know your land lap, which is fourteen point point one, which is you know, the flat that the actual seal has to come to the edge and then wiped off, you know. But I've noticed that there's seals that has you know, there's gaps.
Speaker 2: Sorry, is this a seal on a on a metal junction. We're not talking about a torch on membrane.
Speaker 19: It's on a metal route. It's a kind of you know, yeah, it's a capping here. And and so when I look at the Code of Practice, it says you need two beads of seal, which they may side, but it might not. It's it's evident that it doesn't really come to the edge. So the water can you know, get into.
Speaker 2: These Yeah, if it doesn't come to the edge, then water can tuck in underneath that joint if the ceilant doesn't. I suppose, you know, you apply two beads a ceilant, one near the lap and then one further back to give you sort of two barriers, and ideally the one closest to the exposed edge. When you fix the two flashings down, you want to see some of that sealant be expelled to the outside and so you should see evidence that it's been wiped off. Yeah, okay, well look if that's in the Code of Practice, then that's ideally what they should be doing, and good on you for doing the research. Is the company that's doing the repair a member of the Roofing Association of New Zealand they are okay, well that's good, but.
Speaker 19: I believe in communicating directly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I agree.
Speaker 19: One of their managers is actually on the board. So I'm actually contesting that the job it's not meeting the criteria.
Speaker 2: And I think the great thing with you know, the argument that you're putting forward is you're also providing evidence. So you've gone to the code or to the best practice guide. This is best practice. Why is it that you don't do beast practice? Now? So I think you're on solid ground in terms of saying to them, actually, the work's not up to stand it. Can you come back and please address it?
Speaker 19: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean no one likes to have these sorts of conversations, and ideally everyone's work should be up to standard. But if it's not, and you can prove that it's not, then stand your ground.
Speaker 19: Yes, okay, and I mean sixteen things like that. You've got to break it open. Don't you do it again?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Pop the rivets out, yep, pop the rivets out and then redo the sealant. Oh you could just apply a beader selant to that edge. Potentially that will do the same thing. Yeah. But I either way, if if the work's not up to scratch, and you know that it's not, and you've provided evidence that it's not, then they should come back and fix it. It's as simple as that. Yes, good on you.
Speaker 19: What if I don't think that they can, you know, people who are you?
Speaker 2: Still have to this then becomes I think it's under the Consumer Guarantees Act those sorts of things that they actually you can't go and get another contractor without giving the original contractor the opportunity to come and do the remediation.
Speaker 19: Yes, yes, all.
Speaker 2: Right, So you need to stick with them until such point as they decide that they don't want to be involved anymore, and then you I would still recommend that you inform them in writing that you intend to get another contractor to do the work given their reluctance to engage, and that you are going to send them the bill for it. You can't just go and get another contractor to fix something and send the bill through to the other contractor if you haven't given them the opportunity to come back and fix it.
Speaker 22: Yes, I think.
Speaker 2: It's their reputation. Yeah, that's great. Good on you and all the best. Take care, Yeah, I know, I know. No, good on you for standing your ground. All the best. Actually, just talking about legal things on the program. Over the last couple of years, we've often talked about the Fencing Act and are some of the guest complexity and some of the hoops that you have to jump through. The great thing is I have pinned down a lawyer who's going to come and talk on the program in a couple of weeks time. So Ben Thompson is a lawyer specializing in property law and things like the property Act and the Fencing Act. So he's going to be available in a couple of weeks time to talk about that. Really looking forward to having him join us. Like I say, in a couple of weeks time. Right here, we're going to take a short break. Then we're into the garden. The red climb past is on the way us.
Speaker 14: H realized.
Speaker 5: Mm hm.
Speaker 6: Hm hm.
Speaker 23: Y god, well, A very good morning.
Speaker 2: That rid climb passed. How are you, sir?
Speaker 9: A very good morning to you, Peter. Are you all okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, hanging on there, hanging yeah, I'm.
Speaker 9: Sure you are sure? Share that was that was it. I listened to a little story about you know, people saying things about you. I don't even know. I thought that, you know, this is this is media, just suck it and just yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Kind of wondered about that, and then I thought, stuff.
Speaker 9: No, it is. It is because you're you're absolutely right you. I think it needs to be said.
Speaker 2: People out every now and then. Yeah, my friend has texted me and asked about passion Fruit, and I haven't text them back yet to say, might not be the person to talk to about this, but his passion Fruit has kind of what he said passion fruit plant doing exceptionally well flowered now has started withering and dying. Oh what's going on?
Speaker 9: Oh gosh, that could be all sorts of things. It could be. Could be lack of fertilizer, could be wrong, too much water. It could be not enough water, you know, it could be. It depends on your soil.
Speaker 2: I suppose, right. But if it was going well one year and then suddenly let's turned up its toes.
Speaker 9: And it's only two years, you think that it's alive. Because spascial fruits are not very long lived.
Speaker 2: Ah okay, maybe that's maybe it's reached the end of its life.
Speaker 9: Maybe it is, but four.
Speaker 2: Years, okay, that gives them something to go on.
Speaker 9: Yeah, now that might be. It might be an idea to look at that and put a new plant in.
Speaker 2: Right there, you go, Simon, that's your job for today, right Tony, A very good morning to you.
Speaker 11: I have an old apple tree, the Cox's orange, and I want to know about the efficacy of these pheromone traps and when they put them out, if they are, it is good, and we you pot them.
Speaker 9: Okay. The traps themselves are not there to control the actual coddling moth The traps are there to give you an idea that they are around, and you have to check them from this time onwards, almost every other day or so, to see if you've got some of those moths stuck on the sticky tape in the trap. By the way, the trap you hang in your tree somewhere. You can have one tree, one tree, one trap, no problem, So that's easy. You can put them wherever you like. They will guard you. That particular smell go on.
Speaker 11: Two but two opinions. One it's under the tree, others as far away up the tree, because otherwise them just the carriages who go to the tree.
Speaker 9: No, it doesn't matter whether they go to the tree or not. It's and you're not going to control them with just a trap. The trap is there to give you the exact timing when they start flying, and when they start flying, they will, you know, males find females no matter where the trap is, it makes no difference at all. Males find females, and then the females will lay their eggs on the very small little apples that have developed after flowering. So as you can see from now on, the little apples coddlings as they call them, the coddlings are developing, and those females lay their eggs on it. You've got ten days if you like, between the first moths flying in to the moment that those eggs actually hatch into caterpillars. And once they hatch into caterpillars, they go into the fruit and there's nothing you can do about it. So this is your timing.
Speaker 11: Yeah, okay, Also very quickly, I've got the trees in the middle of a lawn. How do I feed it?
Speaker 9: You've got a what in the middle of the lawn.
Speaker 11: The tree is in the middle of a lawn. How do I feed the tree?
Speaker 9: Oh, basically by putting some fertilizer around the root zone of the tree. So you're put a handful of you know, you know roughly what the root zone is like. It goes as far as the edges of the tree if you go down in in a vertical line.
Speaker 11: So mean lawn, I mean I can't got the lawn.
Speaker 9: Now, you don't have to dig up the lawn. You put the fertilizer on the lawn. It will then water itself in or drift drift itself into the root zone of the tree, and then it gets its fertilizer.
Speaker 11: That's okay, that's what I thought.
Speaker 9: And a good one is liquid fertilizer.
Speaker 11: Yes, that has the last year. Try spray it on the foliage. That's actually something goes from budings and it's a hose on thing and it's supposed to cease. I think it is. Yeah, And liquids large letting be good.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, well it is good, and especially if it's got a higher amount of potash, which is the kay of NPK. You can see this, Yeah, you got it. And and remember this one thing. I think it's a myth that folia fertilizer is important, because folia fertilizer is the stuff you spray on the leaves and then it goes into the leaves. But I don't know if you ever have been breathing through other holes than your nose. I think in this case the fertilizer needs to go to the roots. The roots take up the fertility, not the leaves go by much pressure.
Speaker 2: Tony, you have a great day, and faye A very good morning to you.
Speaker 24: Morney. How are you?
Speaker 9: We're good.
Speaker 24: In the other moment, she heavy as like a rust coming up on my leaves on trees of your lemon trees lemon and orange yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 9: Okay, And that rust is that orange stuff on the top.
Speaker 24: Of the leaves, it is, yeah, yes, it is individual orange you delive green yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah yeah. The orange is still yeah, the orange is still working. Now. If you've got a rust on a lead on the leaves, generally the best way to spray it is with copper and sulfur, such as a copper sulfur mix like Nature's Way Fungus spray.
Speaker 24: Oh yes.
Speaker 9: And the reason I'm saying that one is because you have a tree that you're going to be eating the fruit from, you know, so instead for instance, of using microlo butt O'Neil and some other fungus sides, I think it might be an idea to use a a funger site that is actually organic like copper and sulfur, and it doesn't hurt you or you know, it's not not bad for you to have that on the on the leaves and.
Speaker 24: If and I do have it three tomorrow pliant So that would be good for ah us two.
Speaker 9: Would it for for aphorts? Yeah, yeah, I would use it, but I wouldn't use a funger sight on aphis for APIs I would use something like the pyrethrums, which is another one of those organic materials that the ephets do not like.
Speaker 24: Okay, I can get that from bun or somewhere, do I.
Speaker 9: They all have it?
Speaker 24: Okay, are wonderful. It's I have one more thing, my lemon, my orange tree. I find it. It's very.
Speaker 4: It's all up.
Speaker 24: It's not spreading out. What would be causing that?
Speaker 9: Your lemon tree is not what do you mean it's not spreading out?
Speaker 24: My orange tree. I have it in the big pot and it's all coming up that just a couple of branches are more coming out that the other ones are all. How do I ship pull in close pulling out a wee bit.
Speaker 9: Well, they have to do that through growth. So I am not underd percent sure what's happening there. Sometimes when you prune your tree, you'll find that the buds below where you've pruned it will go outwards, and that would be good, But you know what, to be quite honest, fay, I think lemon trees and citrus trees are probably best planted in soil rather than in containers.
Speaker 24: Yeah, my lemon tree, I've had it in my big pots. I think it must have been a minitial one, but I get heat the heat on it, and it's been moved for thirteen Now, well, that's good.
Speaker 9: That's that is good, going to be quite honest, Yes that's good. But generally speaking, there comes a time that the pot is becoming too small for the rootshone, isn't it?
Speaker 24: And my meat, I mean to say to my meat is a bit dying of it lusty thing. So would that be ideal for that too?
Speaker 9: Yeah, you could use that, I suppose.
Speaker 5: Why not on the copper or on the.
Speaker 9: Yeah us the coppers always had.
Speaker 2: A thank you faie. What do you reckon the chances of me? There's still being some pancake better left over by the time I get home.
Speaker 25: Not very little now they would have hoovered them up by now, Yeah, exactly by the time I get home. Anyway, we live in the high I will take short break, will be back in just a moment.
Speaker 6: Wake up.
Speaker 17: There's millions of dollars with ulf.
Speaker 26: Sunday stage and join up to half size and range.
Speaker 2: That's minutes, sleep.
Speaker 7: Dreams again, Join dury Wolves.
Speaker 26: A great week nights for sports talk thanks to t J.
Speaker 2: Ganda Homes, GJ Gander Homes and great supporters.
Speaker 27: Of school and home for New Zealand than any of the build keep up with the highs and lows of the day's top sports stories.
Speaker 6: The work.
Speaker 28: Thanks home building.
Speaker 13: Only on Who's.
Speaker 1: Talk, said.
Speaker 6: The school girl? And were the store to switch.
Speaker 27: In the weather barbue measures on where walklings are owned. Were a store a world class barbecue store unlike anything previous in New Zealand, exclusively showcases the complete Webber barbecue range.
Speaker 6: It's literally all here.
Speaker 27: See someone who zild's top barbue shift in store pulling up barbe No one's capable of music features with great sailors to be had, spokes Weber Store.
Speaker 6: Eighty six lives.
Speaker 26: Family, It's a word Greenview bang Nag twenty years, the comfortable home of the beautiful gardens in all the extracy, the including of they're on side, Hello the house, Green family, and see you and your family to come and see the village, the atmosphere, the gun, the family.
Speaker 8: See green kinner.
Speaker 2: What's your precious time worth?
Speaker 26: If you want to drive three loads of washing on it could take at least three hours from.
Speaker 6: Start to finish.
Speaker 27: No thanks, and look with laundromats, this supermass commercial watches, dries, what have three loads of.
Speaker 12: Design electricity air money?
Speaker 6: Because of their website.
Speaker 27: To find your error's location, look with laundromats open seven days, coveting hours anyway.
Speaker 8: Seeds these amaze.
Speaker 6: Freely A man dropt.
Speaker 19: Gentlemen.
Speaker 16: Good news.
Speaker 27: Apparently there are single women out there than there are single men, just the way nature played.
Speaker 6: It on this one.
Speaker 23: What do you do?
Speaker 26: Get your very own competito matchmaker.
Speaker 18: And they'd love to find you.
Speaker 2: Rud climb pass with us this morning. End Jill, A very good morning to you.
Speaker 29: Oh good morning. Yes, Rude, I've got a real big problem. We bought an old home, an old house that's been rented out for ten years. We've got garden beds around the perimeter of the house and on the around the fence, and I'm having a problem with weeds and grass growing in those beds that hadn't been dug for ten years. Foolishly, I guess when we first moved in. I spent a whole week weed out and sifting soil on the front fence bed, and then I put compost in it and top soil and planted, and within a week the weeds were growing higher than the plants. So what I've tried to do now is lay down, lay down a cardboard and weed mat, and then put pebbles on top and just put my plants in pots. But I've got some existing shrubs in there that I don't want to I want to know if there's a weed killer, either vinegar or something in a store that I can spray on the pebble garden in between each shrub without killing the shrubs. Sorry, I'm not very explaining, but.
Speaker 9: I get what you're saying.
Speaker 19: So this is it.
Speaker 9: So that you've got a heck of a lot of weeds, you try to do also some thing with cardboard and pebbles on top of the weed mountain. And you're, for instance, not keen on using stuff like roundup.
Speaker 17: No no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 18: No.
Speaker 29: Well I don't I don't mind, but I don't want to kill a nice big hydranger bush and one or two shrubs that are within the existing beds. I've covered them with pebbles. And what's happening now is I'm having to lay down. I've got a rider. I'm an old woman. I'm in the late seventies. I'm having to lay down on the ground and lean over and pull out the weeds and blades of grass and stuff that are coming through the stone through the pebbles. So what what you know, I gave up on the front bed. I got full packets of wildflower seeds, and I thought, I'll beat you buggers. I'm going to sprinkle wildflowers all over you. And that's what I did. So I've now got a wildflower bed at the front of the house.
Speaker 28: I can't do it all the way around, Okay, So there are ways of actually spraying the weeds with let's say, like woody weed killer or whatever round up he typestock.
Speaker 29: It's a lot of it is grass egg.
Speaker 9: Oh that's even better because that is reasonably easy to control with that sort of stuff like roundup. But I'm just saying there is a way of actually putting pieces of cardboard to protect your your your your various plants that you want to keep.
Speaker 29: You know, I already put down cardboard, sick cardboard from cardboard boxes, and then you know, on top of the weed mat and then pebbles, but it's still coming.
Speaker 9: Through, Okay, okay, So the idea is to actually get your weat killer whatever you use, from a nozzle that you can actually aim in the right place. But what I'm saying about the cardboard is, have you thought about also having cardboard in a vertical manner so that if there is a bit of drift of wheat killer, that it doesn't go over your hydrangeers, that it doesn't even get there, You know what I mean?
Speaker 29: Yeah, why don't you get to the roots through the soil underneath?
Speaker 9: Not if you take it easy and just do the grass from the top, you don't have to overdo it. Honestly, you don't. And this is why, this is why I mentioned things like woody wat killer and round up and all these other things. A lot of people don't like them, and I can imagine that's the case. But if you know, if you put a sticker on those which means a sticker is a fact that it sticks to the grass leaves themselves, you don't need that much to before it goes down.
Speaker 29: Into I don't mind you, I don't mind using round up, But yeah, I just can't keep lying down on the ground with us rights in the hips and trying to do it.
Speaker 9: I have the same problem. Don't worry, I know exactly what I mean. I've got to try to do the same thing.
Speaker 2: Good luck with that, Jill. I suppose over time hopefully you get on top of it. But yeah, you can. You can just picture a you know, teen years of sort of lack of attention.
Speaker 9: It is a mess, absolute and sometimes you would use you need napalmy.
Speaker 2: Hey, now you'd be excited about this through it unexpectedly affordable. Still Shop biggest ever stale is on now for Still tall. So if the plan this weekend is to do a bit of Lord knowing, some headstrimming, some tree pruning, or even water blasting, and you've got it in your sites to get some new gear. There's never been a better time to buy still gardening tools than now. And getting your property and garden in shape for spring, you need to know you're always going to get the right advice and the right equipment for your particular need. So still Shop eight times award winner of the Consumers People's Choice Retailer for gardening equipment. You know you're in safe hands. The widest range of battery electric or petrol powered gardening tools in New Zealand, the big spring sale All still tools are on stale. Pop into your local store. Fifteen across Auckland or online twenty four to seven with a one hour click and collect and home delivery. The brigs spring sale on at still Shop Love your Land, righty oh, and now let's see what's going on, Trish with your lemon tree.
Speaker 22: Yeah, hi, morning, rude. I've got a lemon tree and a lime tree, both planted at the same time, about twelve years ago. The lime tree is massive. I'm just abundant with fruit. Lemonry is not even a matter high. It's not healthy. And we get about four lemons there.
Speaker 9: Okay. What's the lemon tree's name, what's its variety? Maya mayor mayor lemon? Well, sometimes that happens. I we at the moment on the porthills have a bit of a problem with lemon trees. It's not the right place for them. You need to dig a whole big hole with new new soil if you like it, is that sort of stuff sometimes and if you but if you're lime, which is I assume not too far away from the lemon tree, no, if that does well, then you might have got a lemon tree that is not that not that healthy, not that good, not that well. If you like grown in the nursery, and you might need another one that is quite often helps, that quite often helps.
Speaker 22: Reckon.
Speaker 9: No, don't rip it out. No, don't rip it out, because you always need to emmons if you maya for instance, for for for the fact that they sometimes work one year not the other year, and you need pollinators. So sometimes it pays to keep it there and put the next one next door to it and see how it goes.
Speaker 2: Okay, awesome, good luck to you. Take care and Ross a mystery. Hey, Ross, Yeah, Hi.
Speaker 13: Hey, go for it.
Speaker 2: We've got a big grief. We've got one minute.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Hi. I've got this creeping sort of weed. It's it's about three or four millimeters. It's flat, and it's green, and it's I think it goes better or worse, which every way you call it in the shade. But it's just invasive and it's just growing all over the place, starts off and cracks and it just spreads. What is it and how do you get rid of it?
Speaker 9: I can't see that from this distance, Ross, will be quite honest, this is almost a pre scales.
Speaker 4: It's like fish scales. It's just a flat weed that goes on the surface of the soil. It never goes more than about two milimeters high. It's just like a fish scale green.
Speaker 9: So it's on the ground itself. It's not wondering willy look, No, I don't know. I'd have to look at it. I have to look at it to see what I is identified. Get now, get it identified. Put it on I Naturalist on your phone, I net you list. It's an app for free and you'll learn very quickly how to use it, and it identifies what the weed is and then we can get somewhere.
Speaker 2: I might test that out today because I think I've got the same thing creeping out across the broken concrete path at my place.
Speaker 9: Okay, right, I'll try many different things.
Speaker 2: Go who knows. It's always a pleasure. Look after yourself, take care, and we'll talk to you again next Sunday. All right, right, I'm going to go and see whether there's any pancake at a left in the bottom of the bowl. I think my chance is a slim, but it's worth while. Joseph making pancakes this morning, right, So have a good week. Actually, I'll be back tonight. I'm here at six to do Sunday at six here at zib This evening as well, so looking forward to that. Otherwise, have a good week and if you tuned in again next Sunday, we'll be here. Take care.
Speaker 1: For more from the Resident Builder with Peter Wolfcamp. Listen live to news talks'd be on Sunday mornings from six, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio