Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Sport podcast with Jason Vine from News Talks b South.
Speaker 2: It takes it off the back Ardie Satha pops it.
Speaker 3: Up on the right.
Speaker 4: Well, Jordan rightly quorder it's another for will and that might be enough. It might be enough for the All Blacks to win at Allie Park. Yes, certainly was All Blacks thirty three South Africa sixteen or Black's assistant coach Jason Ryan is with us on Weekend Sport. Jace, where does that sit among your most satisfying days with the All Blacks?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, that's up there.
Speaker 2: Look, any any one you love it, but any test one in South Africa, especially Alista Park you love it even more. And we were under a massive amount of pressure at set piece and how we made the adjustments we needed to and came back with a ship on a qre and a whole lot of effort and belief in our game I think was pretty special.
Speaker 4: Can you give us an insight into the adjustments that you made that made the difference.
Speaker 2: Well, I think at scrum time, you know there was one there that we missed a hit a little bit. They're getting the hit on us and potentially went a little bit early on us. We also, you know, we got rewarded just after halftime for them stepping left. You know, the whole thing around world rugby is you got a scrum square. So we got one there that we probably deserved. And probably in hindsight, Ethan grew hurt his neck, the group hurt his knee pretty bad early on in the start of the Test match, and we probably should have looked to hook him a little bit earlier because that he was sort of firing on one leg. So you sort of put those couple of things together, probably as the reflection of the justice we made and what we talked about at halftime around showing really good pictures.
Speaker 4: And then in the second half early South Africa still putting you under huge pressure, you hold your hold and then you get a scrum penalty of your own under your own horns. How big a moment was that, you know.
Speaker 2: That's what it was a big moment, and that was reward to the adjustments we made. And as I say, it was for them stepping left, which is you know that that that did swing the momentum. And then then we got into a mall and we got a more penalty, and then it was like, okay, we've got to put a momentum here, and and we we sort of kept the we keep the pressure on them a little bit, and you know, got some reward for it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, a lot, massive, massive if from the.
Speaker 2: Boys coming on and uh and and I think we were showed that we're pretty flat at the moment too, So I think that's pretty positive.
Speaker 4: Is effective scrummaging more about technique or physical strength?
Speaker 2: Oh that's a great question. Look what the spring Boks like. They are a brick pack, and we may get it right.
Speaker 3: They are very very.
Speaker 2: Hard to stop with their mass and how big they are. Right, technically, we could have been a little bit better tonight, But as I said, I'm proud that the boys made the adjustments. Scrums and a test match as similar to twelve rounds of boxing. We're not gonna win every round, and tonight we didn't win every round, but we probably won a couple of rounds that that mattered, I guess, and we got rewarded for it. And say, the adjustice we made it our time, So I'm pretty proud of the boys there.
Speaker 3: We've still got work to do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I guess to use a boxing analogy. You got the points victory well and truly, Jase, how much of a tactic is inducing fatigue in your opposition?
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you hold the ball and balld phases, you know, and you and we trust our skill set, like we threw a whole lot of offloads that probably weren't even on that did stick because the boys have been optimistic about how they want play, which is what rends us driven right from the start. And when you do that, the fatigue does kicking. And we I believe we found another couple of years in that last twenty, you know, and put the pressure on them, and we should be pretty satisfied with that part of the game, and how the leaders have been doing a lot of good work with Gilbert and Ochre and just adapting to the pressure and just enjoying that and understanding that it's so tough over here, you know, one v two in the world and at Alice Park, like you just got to enjoy this and we will.
Speaker 3: But there's work to do tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Fabian Holland hercule in eighty minutes charge down Try. I had to stay on because of course, Josh Lord departed earlier than you would have hoped. Not bad for a bloke who hasn't played much rugby recently.
Speaker 2: Fabian Holland, Yeah, he's done a lot of work and conditioning and you know it was a big arm. He went to the world tonight. He had to dig a pretty big hole and keep digging it. So pretty pretty satisfied Harry got through his work.
Speaker 3: So we'll have to look.
Speaker 2: After him this week. I mean, we're not you know, we don't need to get any futterer or stronger on this till We've got to keep the boys fresh now and I think that'll be a big part of the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 4: The last time you played South Africa, Jace, you joined me the day after you took my call. You answered some pretty tough questions. Thirteen of the twenty three who played that night played again today. Was that forty three ten talked about at all or do you think it privately drove any individuals?
Speaker 3: It wasn't.
Speaker 2: It definitely wasn't talked about, but I guess you know, some of those things are always in there.
Speaker 3: And then there's a couple of set piece moments and we sit on.
Speaker 2: The start of this call, Jay Slide, I was like, oh shit, here we go again type thing.
Speaker 3: But we, as I said, we made the adjustments.
Speaker 2: We started a little bit more resilience under pressure, a little bit more composed and already made some really good decisions at key times.
Speaker 4: Does that end of the game, Yeah, does Alice Park ever get old? Looks amazing.
Speaker 5: Oh she's standing out here in the middle now and yeah, you've just got to enjoy and I'm going to so but we're got work to do with by no means satisfied, and but we will enjoy this.
Speaker 4: We just well, you deserve to a lot of very happy key weis early this morning watching that Jas, Thanks for taking the call, mate, all the best as you move forward, no worries.
Speaker 2: Let just say I really appreciate the support that we've had from home this week as this test match is built, and the support that we've had with the All Black supporters and the Zemers that are in the crowd today.
Speaker 3: Is not often you hear them that the all Black chant and his Yon chant in Ellis Park so pretty special.
Speaker 4: So thanks good man, good man, Jase, enjoy your evening. Jason Ryan there out of Johannesburg with the All Blacks have beaten South Africa thirty three points to sixteen.
Speaker 1: For more from Weekend Sport with Jason Fine, listen live to news Talks at b weekends from midday, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio