Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from News Talks ab.
Speaker 2: Ant Together News Talk c e B Weekend Collective. Six minutes past five, I'm Jess with you through until six o'clock and it's my pleasure for the first time on the Parents Squad to welcome midwife Grace Strange. Hi, Grace, Hello, how are you very well? Thank you and thanks for making time for us. Now, you're a midwife and founder of Anti Natal Co. Can you tell us just a bit about yourself and your background as being a midwife.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I've been a midwife for thirteen years in Auckland, mostly a hospital based midwife, so we worked across the whole spectrum of birth and post natal and anti natal and then I've been running inten intenatal classes for about seven years.
Speaker 2: Wow. Wow, I want to get into the antenatal class chat at some point this hour. Absolutely, And just before we get into the chat itself, are you noticing still a shortage of midwives? What's the landscape like?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yep, definitely massive shortage of midwives. There's work everywhere all over the country, so yeah, we need more. If anyone wants to study.
Speaker 2: We definitely do Yep, people are still having babies, absolutely, they always will now. A great statistics from Auckland Hospital show there's been a dramatic increase in women requesting sea sections in recent years, but a drop in women actually getting elective sea sections. Unfortunately. The numbers also show that the amount of emergency sea sections has increased. Could this be related and why are so many people asking for sea sections?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So the sea section.
Speaker 3: So Orkland Hospital puts out a their statistics every year for the last twenty years, and so this year is the first year that they've shown that their sea section rate is higher than their spontaneous vaginal birth rate. So is a concerning stat for lots of people. Reasons why this Maybe there's that Orkan Hospital, first and foremost is a tertiary hospital, which means that they deal with the most sick people, women and babies, so therefore higher chances of having a sea section. But also my personal opinion is that we're older. I'm thirty five and I had just had my first baby last year, and we're all we're all, you know, we're not in our early twenties having babies anymore. So I think I personally think that this has a huge impact on not saying that you know women older women can't have lovely vaginal births, but you know the rate of emergency sea sections is very high, and so yeah, it could be a reason why is because we're just we're old, we're geriatric. I'm geriatric thirty five and I'm a geriatric pregnancy.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: I had my son when I was thirty and they mentioned geriatric to me and I was going, what on earth? But just before we carry on eight hundred eighty ten eighty, if you've got any questions for midwife Grace Strange around not only the C section aspect of things, but I want to know what are some of the things you were never told before you became a grandparent or a parent and would have changed the way you did things. What advice do you wish that you'd been told, or what advice would you give to your grandchildren or children having kids?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 2: Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty, or if you've got any questions relating to parenting for Grace, we'd love to hear from you all. Nineteen nine two, Now, Grace, what are the statistics around do you have figures around how many women are actually having them.
Speaker 3: I do, so I'm only going off the Ugland hospital ones because they have the best and have done a best job at giving them. So in this report, they've released the twenty twenty three stats which they released in August last year, so they're the c section rate was at forty four point six percent of all births. So there was five seven hundred births at a hospital last year, forty four point six percent of them were c sections and only forty two point nine of them were spontaneous vaginal births. Wow, okay, and so big, you know, big, big, big change, big times being at more than more than previous times. So with the with that statistic, twenty nine point four percent of them were emergency and fifteen point two percent of them were an elective. Now, if you were a first time mum, then your chances of having a C section were at forty eight point nine percent. So the first time I'm giving birth last year in twenty twenty three, sorry, you had almost a fifty percent chance of having a c section. And this definitely was reflected in my internet of classes.
Speaker 4: So I met it.
Speaker 3: With the girls after they've had their babies for their first coffee group and I would say definitely at least fifty percent of them are having C sections.
Speaker 2: And why do you think that people are actually asking for them more? Is it becoming I don't want to say an easier option, but people perceiving it to be the easier way because the recovery time seems to be much longer.
Speaker 3: The recovery time can be much longer you are having, you know, quite a full on abdominal surgery. However, if you had a really awful rugged vaginal birth, you could have lifelong recovery effects from that. So I think people are requesting them because they like.
Speaker 4: To be in control. It could be a reason.
Speaker 3: You know, we've had we're older, having babies older, so you know, we've had these lovely careers that we've been in charge of, and so you know, it's quite handy to know the date and the time that your baby's going to be falling. Also rask Also again we're having babies older. Lots and lots and lots of people, including myself, you know, needed reproductive assistance or IVF to get pregnant. Sure, and so a elective sitey section again is a controlled environment where you can can mostly control the outcome. There's a lot less you know, up in the are of how it's going to go. Sure, so yeah, I think, yeah, I mean I personally, I know, I'm a midwife and I have been to many births, but for me, I had an elective site section, which is a very un Midwifi thing to say and do.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say that because midwives prefer naturlutely.
Speaker 3: Yes, Okay, I'm like, I'm a I'm an enigma. I'm not the I'm not your traditional midwife. But again, old, I'm older. I had a real bit reproductive, you know, assistance to get pregnant, and from all the thousands and thousands of births that I've been to, that personally felt like the.
Speaker 4: Best choice for me.
Speaker 3: Sure, and I had I was able, you know, I was d after by an obstrician, and so I was able to choose that. Certainly, not everybody gets to choose that. If you don't have a paid for obstetrician then and you don't have a you know, you're likely to you're less likely, sorry to get an elective sea section.
Speaker 2: And i'd imagine too grace if someone's walking and saying I want it born on the fourteenth of February because that's Valentine's Day or whatever. You know, if you don't have a really justified reason and resources are quite short, the chances are you're probably not going to get what you're asking for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, definitely, And you also don't get control. So as much as I on the date, sorry, as much as I wanted a sea section, you don't get to choose the fourteenth of February.
Speaker 4: That's the hospital's job.
Speaker 2: To fair enough, to fair enough to oh wait, one hundred and eighty ten eighty. We'd love to have your calls on this. Whether you've had an experience with a C section yourself, what was it? Straightforward? Do you wish that you'd had one or wish you hadn't? You can text through to nine two nine two as well. Grace is here to answer all parenting all range of parenting questions for you this hour. And then another question, what are some of the things you were never told before you became a parent or a grandparent and would it have changed the way you did things? Grace. I guess as a midwife yourself, you would be hearing all sorts of secondary advice or people on you know, both sides, especially for a first time parent getting advice contradicting itself all over the show.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, welcome to parenthood, even in the hospital, and people say that to me, I did a lot of work in the post natal, in the immediate post natal space, so the first three to five days after people have given birth, and that the biggest bed banker that we would get. As it feels there's a lot of conflicting advice and would you potentially could see you know, up to five different midwives or nurses looking after you in a twenty four hour period, and they're all going to have slightly different ways of doing stuff, which is very, very challenging. And I do have a lot of empathy for people who go through that, and in saying that, the advice that I would give you on day one with your baby is different to what I would give you one day five. So that does add to you know, that feels like conflicting, but you know, actually it goes with them.
Speaker 2: True, true, because no one's the same either, are they. Each baby's going to have a different set of challenges and each parent's going to have a different set of challenges. Do you find that well, given that we are, we seem to be having babies later. As you say, do you think that control aspect, people are kind of googling a lot more and trying to have a set plane in their mind before they actually have child about a specific way they're going to raise them or deal with them.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and I think social media has a massive part to play in.
Speaker 2: That, right.
Speaker 3: And I think, you know, even as a midwife and all that I knew, I mean, we only work for the first in the first six weeks after having a baby, that in all that I knew and all that I was prepared, I still found it very overwhelming. And I think partly that was to do with the social media that I was consuming. Because everyone has a different piece of advice, and everyone has a completely different piece of advice, and all those people are so called experts, and if you don't do it their way, then you're wrong and you're gonna hurt your baby or you know, oh, you know. It's just it's so intense, and as a mum, you want to do the best thing for your child, and they're all claiming that this is the best thing, and so you know, on top of your already sleep deprived, right, you have to figure out what you're.
Speaker 6: Going to do.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, and all the emotions flowing through you. Actually, Grace, we've got to text through here you might be able to answer it, says Hi, I had an emergency C section, so no judgment, But do you think New Zealand women are fully informed of the risks of a sea section for baby in terms of long term effects on baby's health. I find it's sad that C section is the rate so much higher. I feel it's a magic experience in so primal it should be a thing we have control of. So do you think women are fully informed when it happens, even if it's an emergency one.
Speaker 3: Look, I think that midwaves and obstitutions do the best that they can in that scenario, and they certainly tell you a lot of the risks and they make you sign consent forms to say that you understand what you're going to do. But I think given the scenario of an emergency C section, there's not you know, hours and hours to chat about the pros and cons of the whole thing. So you I feel like this is where antenatal education is really important, where people you know, can come to a great glass and they get to understand what's involved in an actual surgery, what are the risks to the mum, what are the risks to the baby? And I also think exactly the same thing should be true for a vaginal birth, because as much as we think vaginal births are awesome and lots of the time they are, there are certainly risks to you and your baby and a vaginal birth as well. And we don't make parents signed consents for a vaginal birth.
Speaker 4: Make science.
Speaker 3: So I think in general, across the board, there could be a lot more you know, education around both sides and the risks and benefits.
Speaker 2: Of both sides. Yes, yeah, thank you, So you can text it if you don't want to go on your nine two nine two. Grace would love to hear from you today, or you can call a weight hundred eighty ten eighty. We're discussing c sections at the moment, if you've got any questions about those, or maybe an experience that you went through that you want to share with us on eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. And also some of the things you had never told before you became a grandparent or parent, the advice you've received would have changed the way you did things if you were told this piece of advice. Now, oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty we we're heading to the phones now and we have Mark with us. High Mark.
Speaker 6: Good, I guy, I tell you very well.
Speaker 5: Thanks.
Speaker 2: So you've got a question for Grace.
Speaker 6: Well, actually I had well we had twins, and so we were sort of advised to being a high risk pregnancy, the best way was to go through and have a sea section. But I just feel like back then we probably didn't get enough on advice to you know, the pros and pros and cons, and the biggest one being that obviously the mother's milk didn't come through because she hadn't gone into labor, so we were like five days after the kid to be born before her milk actually came through. So that was a long period of stress. I feel for mum and she agrees with that, and also for the kids because they're just not getting the nutrient and everything that they needed at the time, and being in the public hospital, it wasn't really you know, it was really was only one nurse who said you should go down the road and buy some milk to make up really to feed your feed your baby. So it was a very stressful periods and you just wonder does that have any effect on the kids, you know, going forward and that in that short little window of life.
Speaker 2: So I'll let Grace answer this with twins, Twins is obviously a very unique situation as well. Yes, yeah, yes.
Speaker 3: So the reason why twins often are advised to be delivered by a sea section is it depends on the leading twins. So the twin that's coming out first, whether they're head down or bottom down. So if they are head down, then there is the potential that you could have a vaginal birth for the first baby. If the second baby is also hit down, then that baby should also come out vaginally head down. If that second baby is bottom down, then the doctors could hopefully manually turn that baby so that it is head down to deliver it. There are lots of risks to delivering babies who are bottomed down or who are breached. Not impossible, but a lot more risks. So in the scenario where there's a baby who is head down first and then the second baby is bottom down, there is the risk that you could deliver the first baby by vaginally and then if they can't turn the second baby, then you have to god have a sea section for that baby, So you don't want to have vaginal birth and a sea section because a lot for your Yeah, so I'm not sure and what your scenario was, but for whatever reason, they decided that that the safest way for your babies to be born was.
Speaker 6: That was very early on and we and we did actually have a date. We didn't get to choo to date as you but we had a date when you well, we had to be in this area because we're you know, rural close to the hospital two weeks prior to that date just in case. Yeah. But also I think maybe potentially, you know a lot of people think that the older that we get, but potentially maybe that's why we're having twins as well. There seems to be more set to twins in the small little area we were where we were in twenty ten, there were eleven sets to twins. Wow, And it's just like and it was not was not ivy. There was one couple that did IVS and but we were what you would call, you know, mid dirties. Yeah, so whords, Yeah, it was that's definitely our sort of parents lifetime. When they were doing the same sort of scenario, it's just not that's frequent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, definitely, what do we get there seems to be the more common twins now, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: And what Mark was saying there Grace about the being having a C section in the milk not coming through. Do you do you think, as Mark said that going down and getting the formula, that when I had my son, I was in Jews, so I didn't have milk either and I felt, unfortunately, was made to feel shame for having to go and get formula.
Speaker 6: Is that still the same, did you have that Mark massively?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I personally think it.
Speaker 6: Was so unfortunate. It was really unfortunate, and I feel that it brought stress on my partner. And at the end of the day, mum's happy. Kids are going to be happy. It's simple, simple way for life that they're feeding off mum. Then you know it's a game changer. And I tell you what, within the twenty four hours of bringing in some formula, the kids were way more settled and so was Mum. And it doesn't mean that it's going to be that way forever. And it's good to get mum back on breast is best, is what you're always told, but at the end of the day, if they're not feeding, they're starving to death. That's like traumatic, absolutely everyone.
Speaker 3: It's so so tough, and certainly not everyone who has a C section. Their milk is not necessarily delayed. So that's not everybody's it's not everybody's experience, and there are lots of reasons why it might be delayed and why you might need formula. And I personally think that the intense pro breastfeeding environment that we have, particularly in the hospitals, is awful. They make you, you know that they don't give we don't give formula to babies unless it's deemed medically necessary. And even in that scenario where it's you know, life saving, we make parents sign consent forms like they're signing away they're giving them like you know.
Speaker 4: Drugs or something exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just think the whole environment is it's already so stressful and then adding that whole thing on top of the air and making you feel bad about it, and you know, it's.
Speaker 2: Just all it's just another stress. It's just another stress. Hey, Mark, thank you for sharing your experience. The other kids doing well now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, teenagers fifteen year olds. We're doing well and at the end of the day, you know, you can't stand up kids in the lineup and go you had breast milk, you know. Yeah, so no, there might be little things that lead on to it. But hey, we don't know everything, No, we don't. Mark.
Speaker 2: Hey, thank you very much for sharing your story. Thank you for being such a wonderful support for your wife at that time.
Speaker 4: To applaud you.
Speaker 2: Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty. If you've got an experience or a question for Grace, please do give us a call or you can text through nine two nine two. We'll just take a short break the Parenting Squad here on the Weekend Collective. It's twenty six minutes past five, News Talk S'DB twenty nine minutes past five. I'm Jess with you through until six o'clock and the Parents Squad hour on the Weekend Collective. We're chatting with midwife Grace Strange. She's a midwife and founder of Anti Natal Co. And we're taking your calls. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty. You can text through nine two nine two if you have any questions around the C section aspect, but also childbirth and the birthing process. I want to chat about anti natal classes very soon as well, but we do have Tessa on the line now, Hi Tessa.
Speaker 5: Hello, Hi guys.
Speaker 7: Hi, Hey, I wanted to share. So if there was something that I wish I got told, sure, I've got a ten months dog, So I would say the concept of the fourth trimester. Have you talked about that yet today? No?
Speaker 3: No, go for it.
Speaker 2: What was your what was your experience?
Speaker 7: So my parents are similar to a huge amount of woman, which is all these problems come up, you know when you have a baby that sleep and feeding, and I really think can be resolved with some background knowledge about the idea of the fourth trimester, which is that humans are a kind of mammal where we're born prematurely. All babies are born prematurely, even full term ones. So when they come out of the womb, they're still have a high need on parents, and we put so much pressure on ourselves because of societal norms to have this independent newborn and newborns are not are meant to be codependent on the parents and still as if they're in the womb for the fourth trimester. The first few months out of the the mum's body. Yeah, what's that understanding? You can be a lot more patient and a lot more kind of a lot more given to the experience a bit more because I feel like over the years we've developed this expectation for new mums that you put the baby in the curb and they sleep on a schedule. In any time these things don't work out, it it all feels like our fault. It's not your fault. That's not how they're designed.
Speaker 2: That's very interesting. Yeah, that's an interesting way to look at it, Tessa. And this is coming off. If you wish advice, you will wish you were given before you gave birth. And so Tessa's talking about that fourth trimestic grace. Will that be fair the pressure we put on ourselves after we've given birth.
Speaker 4: Absolutely? Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think that we certainly need a lot more education around the fourth trimester and what you know, early parenting looks like I think lots of pregnant women, you know, do a lot of research around you know, labor and birth and all that kind of stuff, and really that's probably like maximum twenty four hours of your life.
Speaker 4: Whereas as because.
Speaker 3: You said, you then just get given this baby and then you have to figure out what to do with it and what's normal and what's not normal. And I do think that we do get fed a lot around exactly what you said, how they just you just feed them and then you throw them in the cut and they sleep for two hours or three hours, and then you know, you go get your nails done.
Speaker 4: Whatever.
Speaker 2: It's just back to normal life. Ye, back to normal life.
Speaker 4: It's totally not.
Speaker 3: Everything changes in everything, and you changes, your hormones change, as you said, your sleep changes, and you have to feed this baby and look after this baby around the clock. And the amount of tiny little decisions that you have to make twenty four seven is exhausting.
Speaker 4: About am everything else?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So Tessa, what was your experience like did you discover this after having your first child?
Speaker 7: Yeah? I was floored by just by how hard it was. I had a baby that wanted to be in contact when you hours a day. She ended up having allergies and so she was getting sick from my mail because all this kind of stuff. But my two takeaways from it was one, she's not broken. There's nothing wrong with her. It's how we're trying to parent them that doesn't fit. And everything got so much easier. I had the privilege of being able to work around her. You know, I was able to I didn't have to rush back to work. So when I gave in to her niece, you know, how do when she needed to be held better, when she needed to be feed, the stress went away really. But then the second takeaway was that that is easier to do when you have support. The more support you have, the more people that are looking after the mom, the better the mom can look after the baby on the baby's terms and not ridiculous, you know, societal constructs. If you want to see how babies are evolved to be raised, we have to go back or what was con system for thousands of years and not just the things that have changed on whim for the last couple of hundred because you know, the last few hundred years are not human history. That's just a very small time.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I think that our Western culture particularly is very you know, you know, very routine on babies and have a lot of expectations on babies and how they should behave, whereas if you look at Eastern Eastern cultures or you know, anywhere else, they are so protective, you know, over this first, you know the Asian cultures of the first forty days, and you know, being in confinement where everyone just comes around that mum and that baby and the mom doesn't even get out of bed for that. You know, you're doing true confinement for forty days, and so her whole role is on, you know, nourishing and recovering herself from birth and then giving that baby everything that it needs in its transition into you know, the world. So I totally agree with.
Speaker 4: You, Tess.
Speaker 7: They focus on codependence, not interdependence, where we need each other and babies so much so that the word independence shouldn't even be put out there for the first three years. You know, they need us for everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they sure do. Hey, Tessa, thank you very much for sharing that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: It's very sorry to cut you off the Tessa. It's it's I found it in my experience, and I want to bring in the anti natal classes here, Grace, if that's all good? So you run them, do you at the moment?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 4: Antenna classes in Auckland.
Speaker 2: Ye, how do you feel about So? I don't know what yours include, but when I went to anti natal classes, it was it was all about pre birth and the birth birthing process and what might happen and drugs and you know what your partner can do, but not so much about immediately after. Yes, so I very much went through a shock factor where I was induced and had had my son and then I was just literally left alone overnight, you know, in the room, and I had no milk, and then I had to sign the waiver for the formula and I was you know, scolded and told that I was I need to you know, express and do better and all this stuff. But should there be more of a focus now about that first well, that fourth trimester that Tessa was talking about.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and I do think there has in general been a really positive change in lots of intenna classes.
Speaker 4: To not just focus on late right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, So I particularly we started our seven years ago, and there was none of that when we started. And that was a huge reason why I started classes. Was firstly because I hated antenna classes pushing agendas on women and making them feel bad for wanting an EPI dril or needing an EPI dril, or like needing a C section, and that they had failed. And then the second reason I sated them was exactly that that there was very limited education on what happened after you had baby, which is, as I said before, a massive part of your life.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So yeah, yeah, did that answer a question.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm just in shocked because I'm so relieved. I mean that I'm talking eleven years ago I had my son and there was nothing then. And it was even at the point where I stayed in hospital four hours and then were sent home because there was no after birth unit facility or anything like that. And as a first time parent, right, you don't know any better. You go, Okay, I've been handed this human being to keep alive, and I'll just head home. And you end up in this pressure cooker of expecting yourself to know everything. And I think that's quite scary, isn't it So overwhelming?
Speaker 4: So overwhelming.
Speaker 3: So in our internal classes at Antenatal Coat, we do a lot of the birth stuff absolutely in terms of covering everything that could happen, and I do it in a way that I'm educating you and then your choice decide how you would like to do that or how it goes. And then in the post natal phase it's you know, your your recovery. So Mum's recovery from birth, what that's going to look like. When can she return to exercise, What her post natal mental health may look like. What are some ways in which you can help support her, even the dads or the support people. What's their mental health like, because certainly mental health perinatal mental health can happen to both partners. How to prepare your relationship for having a baby?
Speaker 4: Huge one. Yeah, everything, it.
Speaker 1: Is a big one.
Speaker 2: Absolutely yeah. On the other side of the break, I want to have a chat with you around introducing a new baby to other children, siblings and pets. Will do that very soon. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty. If you've got a question for Grace, she is a midwife and founder of the Anti Natal co and here to take your calls for the next or twenty minutes or so, oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty, or you can text through nine two nine two. Also, what was the piece of advice you wish you were given? We heard from Tessa there about the fourth trimester? Is something you wish that you knew before you became a parent, and some advice you could pass on to people listening as I say, oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. We're now twenty one minutes away from six on news Talk S'B and I'm Jess with you through until six. We've got Romance standing by with in my day. But it's a pleasure for the first time on the weekend Collective to have midwife Grace Strange. She is a midwife and founder of Anti Natal co. And we're taking your calls. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to dial. Hi Poe, Hi, Hi, Hi, and.
Speaker 5: Thank you for the program. Greg. Hey, I just wanted to share I guess from as a dad and you know, she and my experience of being in a childbirth. You know, I first, he just wanted to say that. Now I've got to give it up to the mounds out there because I have six kids. Wow, I have six kids and they were all the live via.
Speaker 6: The via the V.
Speaker 2: Naturally naturally po Yes, but I'll.
Speaker 5: Probably say that it didn't My experience wasn't that it was natural. It was quite it was quite chaotic, as I said. And so you know, my oldest daughter is seventeen. But and then maybe I've got a younger child at the moment, who's who's almost one so I've you know, I've my experience with my seventeen has been quite different than what my experience was my almost one year olders. So I think I think it's improved so much in terms of depression that we had experienced when seventeen years ago, me and my wife wanted did our research. We did go to nat or classes and things like that. But seventeen years ago, we did feel that we were given, you know, there was a bit of pressure on us to do certain things and not to have a natural work, so we had to go to the hospital. We wanted to have a home birth, but we were sort of told to go to hospital. So we ended up just just doing that and and then just throughout that that whole experience, you know, we did. I did feel like we're you know, there was no pressure to to do either the EPI dural, you know, there was the gas at the time that that was sort of asked for us. We were even asked, you know, to do things like the vitamin K after the birth. I have to give it up to my wife, who you know who if you know, I supported her sort of goal through that to have a natural birth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good on your Poe and seventeen to one. As you say, you've seen quite quite a change in the in the health system. How how do you manage six kids though across that age range.
Speaker 5: Well, well, the good thing is is that I had been close together, so was seventeen, one is fifteen and fourteen, and then I've had been quite quite late now, so one is four tuning four and two and then one doning one soon. So so I get a bit of the older ones helping out a younger one. But like what your previous caller said, for us, it's it's it's a village thing. It's a it's a e thing. We you know, our whole family comes together and it's part of it as part of our family, you know. And we were on a lot on that, and so we were glad that when my wife was giving birth, we just you know, we had both our parents and and and brothers and sisters come and look after her.
Speaker 6: She could just rest.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I am yeah, And I understand that, you know, we don't announce in our system. You know, that's not something that a lot of us have access to, which is very sad, it sure is.
Speaker 2: And Poe, I want to applaud you for the support that you gave your your wife and being there in the booths because grace.
Speaker 1: Are we finding that the.
Speaker 2: Experience for dads is becoming a bit less scary, or that there being a bit more forthright with it and being involved.
Speaker 3: Look, I think I think dads want to be involved. I think, and I think part of internetal education is helping them to be involved too, so, you know, letting them know what's going to happen. They like to be a little bit of control and a little bit of understanding about what's going on with their Patterner often it's way harder for the person watching. I don't know how you thought about it, that you watching your partner going through it then to say necessarily your partner going through it. Obviously she's been through a lot and amazing her experience.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we were very lucky to go from those NEANEDO classes because it gave us that ability to, uh, to formulate our to formulate our plan you know, going into that and so we needed that because there's you know, so so many things happened during their birth process. So that really worked for us and helped to you know, to calm the emotions during quite a chaotic time, but our first experience. Obviously for the first child, it's just so much, you know, so much goes on, you know, for for the mums, you know, emotionally, physically, Like I think, I do agree when you mentioned earlier on there is this there is this idea that we have that that it is easy and then find out that it's harder.
Speaker 7: I think.
Speaker 5: Because and I put it down to you know, this is the things we see on TV and stuff that you know, the one minute and when I had this idea, our sweet airs. So if it's ten minutes, it should be fine, you know, she was even for two and a half hours. Easier to talk about it now, but once it's India and watching it go through, that was very high. It was very hard for me.
Speaker 7: Dad.
Speaker 2: Absolutely well, Poe, thank you for calling and sharing your experience. I really appreciate it, so does Grace and and our listeners.
Speaker 5: Great, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Awesome, Thank you, Poe. It's jeez, it's nice, Grace to hear a couple of dads calling in. Is that yeah, engaging in this Before we take a break, I've just got a text for you here, Grace. This is a question for you. I start Midwiffery on Monday down in Otago and was wondering if Grace had any advice for me.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, yay, good work, Thank you so much, we need you any advice.
Speaker 4: Gosh, it's really for.
Speaker 3: I didn't do it to anilated in England and in my day, sixty to seventy percent of the of the degree was practical, so a huge amount in the hospital. So you're basically doing full time UNI and working essentially full time for free as a student.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 4: So just look, it's tough. It's pretty full on.
Speaker 3: At have lots of friends around that you can talk about all the things that you see, especially in those first few years because it's you know, you see a lot of things that you weren't quite expecting. But as you get older, you get to see the reflip the red flags and can can I kind of anticipate it's going happened?
Speaker 4: But yet no, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: We really, I really encourage you just to keep going.
Speaker 4: Stuck out at because it's brilliant. We need one the film midways out there.
Speaker 2: As you say, there's a shortage, so it sounds like no two days are the same.
Speaker 4: At least Grayea keeps you on your does.
Speaker 2: Oh wonderful. All right, we've got time for a couple more calls. I wait, hundred eighty teen age, We're going to take a quick break though, ten minutes away from six here on the weekend Collective news talks. He'd be and we're chatting with midwife Gray Strange taking your calls. I wait, hundred and eighty ten eighty, Hi there, Steve, Hi, how are you good? Thanks? What's your comment?
Speaker 8: I was just wanting to talk to Grace. I had my kids, and my kids in our twenty twenty six and twenty four, but we had our first one. I wonder what's your thoughts on parents deciding about where their children should be born or not born. I guess the reason I'm asking that my first child, we had no difficulties with the pregnancy, and my son was born in seven weeks early breach. He was seven pound six so and really unwell, and Heed, we had them home. I think we probably would have lost them. And I guess at the time I didn't feel like I had or we had the knowledge or to make the decern about where we had our children at that time. Had things changed in terms of the way people go about making that decernin now.
Speaker 4: I would like to think.
Speaker 3: So, I think that so every every woman has a birth plan chat with their LMC so their midway for the archestraction at thirty six weeks, which obviously you didn't make too if you heard your baby sim weeks certainly. Yeah, So at this at this birth plan chat which everybody has, that there is a discussion around where you'd like to deliver, who you'd like to be in your room, where you're gonna have vitamin K, whole bunch of things, where your pain lap options might be, et cetera, et cetera, and you get to choose. So you guys are the most powerful people in the room always in terms of what you decide to do. Nobody can force you to have their baby your baby at the hospital. Nobody can force you to have your baby at home. And so during that chat and during your time with your ALMENC, so you could have that chat with them, you know, at thirty weeks or when you book with them if you want to, you know, ten twelve weeks, and about where they like to deliver, where they recommend that you should deliver it, if you had any risk factors as to whether if you deliver it at home, you know that would be you know, you'd have some risk factors for that, or you know best to deliver in the hospital. So yeah, I mean the whole ALMC model that we have in New Zealand is so wonderful in which women and their partners and families work together in partnership with their LMC. So everything, every single decision should be made together for the best of you guys and the best outcome for your baby.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I guess.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's the most important thing at the end of the day, isn't it. If you've got if you've enough time to be educated around like saying what the risk collectors are, all those sort of things, then at and I actually make sure that the children are born into the world.
Speaker 4: Well exactly.
Speaker 2: Hey, thank you, Steve. I do have to stop there. We've got to get to the news. Thank you, Steve. Thank you to everyone that's called Grace. Thanks for your time. You've done awesome.
Speaker 4: Oh thanks, thank you for having me, love to being here.
Speaker 2: Pleasure. That's it for the week in collective. A big thanks to my producer Tyra to all of our guests today. Roman is standing by within my day have a wonderful evening, New Zealand. Some one We're back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's all. For more from the Weekend Collective, listen live to news talks it'd be weekends from three pm, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio