Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks b follow this and our wide range of podcast now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Straight down the middle.
Speaker 3: Of dry.
Speaker 4: Try.
Speaker 3: Welcome in to Rugby Direct.
Speaker 5: John r Hen Health Technique, all your aches and pains from the sports and another alien Disappearances, Joseph Lee or Joey Marno the man that can do it All across Rugby and Rugby League Podcast. Nick Bailey, Great, have you in for Liam Napier this week? Welcome on and again, Oh what.
Speaker 4: An introduction Smith here, Thanks for that. I'm sure I'm not sure if that NS and me listeners across the podcast stable are enjoying me jumping between codes week to week from the Big League Podcast back to Rugby Direct, but I'm happy to be here and speaking of habit, health, aches and pains from sport and work, probably leisure as well. For Liam Napier, I hope he's doing okay after Nral's Magic.
Speaker 5: Ground from him for a good twenty four plus hours. So hopefully we'll report back for Judy at some point this week and be on deck for the podcast next week.
Speaker 3: I'm sure he had a great week.
Speaker 5: It looked like a great weekend over there, and I suppose, you know, if you're Super Rugby, you're trying to figure out the lessons of how you apply that to Super Round, which is obviously taking a break this year. I just don't know that you can replicate that across Super Rugby. I think they're trying to find something that's just not going to quite work.
Speaker 2: It'll be interesting to see.
Speaker 4: I heard some comments from Super Rugby chair Kevin malloy on Weekend Sport with Jason Pine just yes, they certainly is in the thinking, whether that be down my way Smith at christ Church to help open Tokaha next year. I feel like there's a lot that makes a fair amount of sense for mine or fig where they absolutely adore their rugby. Of course there's some logistical challenges here, but the NRL is certainly onto a winner there with major round.
Speaker 3: Has to be said, they certainly are.
Speaker 5: Well, let's get into the round that was in Super Rugby Pacific and the most recent game that rounded out the round, but a Sunday afternoon footy which is always a treat under the roof in Dunedam probably the best game of the round, to be honest with you, Mina Pacific at beating the Highland is thirty four twenty nine. Look, I think you look at this Muana side and they are continuing to upset the apple cart. Now, whether it's good enough to make the playoffs, we'll get onto that in a week while on the podcast. But what they're doing is showing up every week, which is what we've asked for them in recent years. And they've going down to the need in which they haven't done, you know, particularly well in previous years, and kept at it and got the win. And I thought they were the better team yesterday afternoon and deserving of that win. You've got to give a lot of credit to Artie sa Via wonderful try, you know, the double grubber, Regather scoring in the corner, but everything else that he did across the game. He has been so influential on this team this year and kept talking about it, but it's hard to understate just how valuable his presence has been to the side. What did you make of that game.
Speaker 2: Nick, eh? The South Island Slayers.
Speaker 4: Aren't they Minor Pacifica or was it last month beating the Crusaders down my way and now down a bit further down Stie High One and getting the job done over Jamie Joseph's side.
Speaker 2: Look, I thought they were deserved.
Speaker 4: Victors, and you summed it up brilliantly around the impact that Ardie sav has and I know on this podcast when Leans usually in this seat, you guys are waxing lyrical about his influence both on and off the field.
Speaker 2: But the way his body at work on both sides of the ball.
Speaker 4: He is in another stratosphere at the moment, and it was almost as if I know a lot of the headlines in the highlight moment with the Chip and Chase. You know, it's obviously he wanted that that Chip and Chase Trice somewhere on his resume after the one that got scrubbed out the week before. But that's just I guess a footnote really on his full performance, like, well, what have we got here? Eighty one meters for nineteen carries, three defenders, beat in three clean breaks are just an all round inspiration and the way he's able to then exert more out of the rest of the team just can't be understated. And I think that loose forward trio as a three with Miracle Fire, Lungey and Tupo Thayoloa, who could have easily been in a Highlands juty this season given he was playing for the Seat Up and Stags and NPC last year. They're right up there in terms of a loose forward trail in Super Rugby Pacific full stop. So look, we'll get to the Highlanders in a sec. But Moana give them a ton of credit. I love the way they go about their player. I love seeing some of their outside backs like Kyra and Thomoyflau and open space. They're just their box office appointment viewing. And they're very much now in the playoff picture. They've got a terribly difficult run home with the last three games, which we'll get to, but the fact that they're just there in the top six at the minute, in that sixth position, it's a success story for the season for sure.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 5: And they lose yesterday, they're probably out of the playoff mix, aren't they, because it's just too much work to do over the closing rounds of the competition. And you know, Jack Taylor scores with seven eight minutes to go, converted by robins and you go, yeah, this is maybe not going to be their day. But then Milani Matavel who came off for the bench and had a real impact. I thought with that charge down. Now I've gone back and watched it a couple of times, I think Robinson that time to pull out probably should have seen Mazavel in his eye line of vision and maybe pulled out of it and not kicked it or just taken the tackle. He's probably going to rue that. But great vision from the replacement half back from one just to see that opportunity coming through, got the balance and then the dive in the corner was pretty special as well, and they closed it up from there. And just that they have a sense that of a never say die attitude and it hasn't always turned into victories the seats in Mauana Pacifica, but you look back at some of the performances they probably should have been in the hound as earlier on in the comp when they were twenty one points down at halftime, they came back and stormed back against the Hurricanes. From memory, the Chiefs they are forty three seven down and maybe should have ended that game with, you know, actually a losing bonus point. They didn't get it on that occasion, but they've been the masters of the second spell, but they also just don't know when they're beaten. That's a really strong quality to have for Mowana given in recent seasons the cops and pastings and the heads have gone down completely agree.
Speaker 4: And on the other side of the the equation the Highlander is they're sort of finding ways to lose at the moment, or finding ways where they're not icing the big moments like the Tane Robinson clearance Kirk which ends up a charge down trying the corner to the replacement half back, and you've got to feel a little bit for Jamie Joseph sid They're already up against it in terms of attracting players down south to the southernmost franchise in the country. They're investing a lot in youth and trying to surround some young players with some veterans, but it just isn't quite working for them at the moment, and now they're very much a danger with their run home Hurricanes Crusaders' chiefs after the bye this week of being wooden Spooners, which when you reflect back a couple of months ago, there was all this conversation and chatter run oh the Highlanders have they turned a corner.
Speaker 2: How good's Tamathya.
Speaker 4: Tabatavanaha going at second five eighth's that's sort of forgotten about now and some real conversations to be had about the Highlanders and where they track moving forward into twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, And they seem to be falling off a cliff a little bit. I don't know what that is necessarily down to it, but they're not playing as a team. They look really clunky. You know that the bright spot in recent weeks has been the return of Jackie running away to Vockie Nepkins for them, but they just look really clunky whatever they do, whether it's a line out, set piece and just across the park, they're not playing in rhythm with each other. And they're missing, you know, a partner for Fabian hond at Locke. They seem to specialize in not picking back up locks on the bench. I'm just not sure if some of the strategy around that obviously had injuries, but they don't look like a cohesive unit at the moment, and things just seem to be unraveling a little bit for the Highlanders, and it's that.
Speaker 2: First five eighth position ultimately too. Elliott isn't it.
Speaker 4: I know they've put a fair bit of faith and the young fella the names just escaping the top of the head, Cam Miller obviously, Tane Robinson. They've kind of gone back and forth there. They've got a lot of depth all of a sudden at halfback. Have really been impressed by the emerge. It's a hasty as well as fuck a tava. They've got young Dylan Pledger over the New Zealand under twenties at the moment, but ultimately in this competition to be successful or be competitive, you really need a game driver in that ten jersey and they yet to find one at the minute.
Speaker 5: They are, but the Hurricanes back to Saturday night, seem to have found one thirty five seventeen over the Chiefs and it's not all down to Ruben Love, but boy here is making an impact in that ten jersey. And conversely for the Chiefs, I think Jacob has been playing well, but they're really missing McKenzie as that second playmaker option in that back line, whether he's playing fifteen or ten. We've just seen in the last week or two even against the Force, but especially against the Hurricanes, boy them as Damien McKenzie and the Hurricanes took full advantage. That was clearly the Hurricanes' best effort of the season. And you know we talked about leaving maybe before being on this podcast, and then what he would say, the cane train is just beginning to gather a little bit of steam.
Speaker 4: Nick Oh, is it what all of a sudden the Hurricanes are looking like that team that you don't want to face first round and the playoffs, And I know the Rugby Direct drums were beating for Ruben Love to be instored at first five eighth for quite some time.
Speaker 2: Clark laidlaw.
Speaker 4: In fact, I think the last time I came on the podcast as well, we were chatting about it too, and that was not dismissing anything that Riley Hohap is capable of.
Speaker 2: It was just looking for a bit more butt X factor.
Speaker 4: They needed to chance they're um given their ladder position, and what a master stroke it's proven to be so far. Not only that from Ruben Love and the goalkicking was really slick to but I think the emergence or the faith being put in Callum Harken at fullback speaking of those dual playmakers, has then just taken the Hurricanes attack to another level. Yes, I've also got camroy guard sniping in and around the ruck. I really like their midfield combination as well with Riley Higgins and Billy Proctor. But that ten to fifteen axis, you know, we saw the hark in fifty twenty two which was a real momentum swinger as well, just kept the foot on for the Canes.
Speaker 2: They've found something there.
Speaker 4: I know they've got Brett Cameron coming back from a set is knee injury, playing a bit of club rugby.
Speaker 2: But all of a sudden they've.
Speaker 4: Gone from some real issues around their game drivers to landing on a really slick ten to fifteen combination with their incumbent ten returning from injury come the business end of the season. But heck of a knight for the Canes could have easily gone the other way. You know, they lose their X factor player on the flanks and Kenny in the hollow to what appears to be a serious knee injury. They had a couple of moments there, you know, Billy Proctor intercept that Daniel Rohner gets his second try the night seventeen nine at half time.
Speaker 2: It's just the credits I know we're speaking a.
Speaker 4: Lot about the attack, but to hold a Chiefs team like that, irrespective of being without Damien McKenzie, but to hold them scoreless in the second half, I think that's what will impress Clark Laidlaw the most. You know, that's a that's a real sign of encouragement there for the Hurricanes as they build towards the playoffs, and they are, if.
Speaker 2: Not the hot team at the moment, certainly right up there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I thought what was smart in that first spell is they didn't get too worried. Obviously they can see that just on half time again to set, but they keep the school board tacking over and we don't often see that in super rugby that you know, they were happy to set all for keeping the school board going up in threes. Reuben Love knocking over that early penalty goal, then they considered the first of the road to tries and then they just you know, tapped over another penalty goal a couple in quick succession, and had that nine to seven lead before that Jacob penalty and then the converted try on halftime. But what they did was just kept that pressure going on the Chiefs and we haven't often seen that in Super rugby this season. There's just a little bit of school board pressure and you know, taking your shots at goal. It's very very rare we see that and I really actually liked it from the Hurricanes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was very discipline, wasn't it.
Speaker 4: And as you say, just applying that school board pressure and not letting it get beyond arms reached that all of a sudden you're chancing your arm and you're chasing the game.
Speaker 2: And I thought just.
Speaker 4: Their ability to keep the ball alive as well, like they're so often they'd bend the defensive line of the Chiefs, but then it was just a late offload when a player was going down in the contact to just keep putting applying that pressure. Yeah, that back line is just full of some serious talent. And how about Baal and Sullivan A he's probably thinking I might come on for half an hour in the midfield or something like that, gets his boarding passer up very early in the piece after that Naholo injury, and look, I know he's just on the end of the chain for a couple of them. I've thought the second trol is a really strong finish, but for him to get over for all four tries.
Speaker 2: He'd be pretty happy with that too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Look, I think he's a quality player ballin Suarvan and he obviously he's been the midfield Billy Proclet comes back, he loses that spot, but he's such a versatile player that I think he can really add to this Hurricane siding. You mentioned the top when we was talking about this game. We'll get to the Plaff makes a wee bit later in the pod. But you just do not want to play this Hurricanes team at the moment. They're going to buy They're going to freshen up over the next week or so. They've got a couple of tricky games to come before the season closes out, but they just you know, the Highlanders obviously to welcome to the Capitol, they've got to go visit the Reds in Brisbane, which should be an interesting game in the context of the clubs. And they close out against Milana. But with the momentum they're beginning to get in this competition when we get to playoffs, you don't want to be playing this Hurricanes team.
Speaker 2: Certainly don't.
Speaker 4: And you look at maybe where we project them to finish at the moment. I actually personally have them winning those three games. Certainly the Highlanders game the Reds one will be tricky, as will Mowana. It'll be interesting to see by that point final round the regular season if Moana is run is done, or if they've managed to win another one of these New Zealand Derby's on the road home. But look there at this point in time could be facing a Chiefs or a Crusaders round one of the competition. You think all the work those two teams are put in to get up there at the top, and you look down and all g whiz arguably playing the form team and the competition at the moment, which you know they're always capable on paper, aren't they. Ali At the Hurricanes, you know those players. It was just about finding that right blend, that right mix, having that confidence, and we need to give credit to it. We're talking a lot about the backs and Roy Guard and love and hearken that there loose Ford trio very impactful. I thought Tyrel Lomax was really strong again as well. So look, there's a lot of encouraging signs if you're a Hurricane.
Speaker 5: Supporter, I certainly and a bit more encouraging for the Blues forty nineteen over the Force on Friday night at Eden Park. Look, I don't think this was a vintage Blues performance by any stretch of the imagination, but they got what they needed out of it. They needed the bonus point. They got that and just got some confidence back in the in the mix after what had been a tricky few weeks, especially that poor performance against the Reds at sun Corpse Stadium the week prior, largely case of job done for the Blues. They almost threw away that bonus point at the end when Angus had the old topoken to touch and missed wild swing and the Force get the ball back and get a penery thought on, is this going to cost the Blues a bonus point? And look, in the context of that season, that could have been huge, And speaking to Simon Cron, the Force coach after the game, he's like, that would I did see it on wanting to deny the Blues the bonus point because in the race for playoff spots, every point, every competition point, is so big. But it just wasn't to be in the end. Yeah, not vintage Blues by any stretch of the imagination, but a game that could have gone Ryan again.
Speaker 3: They were leading.
Speaker 5: At halftime fourteen twelve seven. I think it was scored just after the break the Force they struggled to shut them down, but it was really the last twenty twenty five minutes where they just took charge and put the game beyond reach for the Western Force.
Speaker 4: That Angus Tart of our moment was when you look at when you look at the ladder, there is nothing separating the Blues in the Force, so that could have easily been a swing the other way if the Force had gone on to deny the Blues a bonus point there. So yeah, a huge sigh of relief for Angus Tarl. Just before we get into the Blues. I just want to mention Harry Potter. Over the last couple of weeks he is I used to just think maybe it was because of his name that his name would just be constantly brought up in commentaries, and you know, obviously it's a pretty unique name given the book and movie series. But like every time he touches the ball, something happens and around him, and they need to give him more opportunities. So just a quick shout out to Harry Potter.
Speaker 5: Completely agree he's been outstanding and he makes something happen. So he does to pop up everywhere on the park and that tray screens achieves the previous week from the restart. Incredible to show that pace. So I think he has to be in the Australian mix for the line series. The form that he's in, they could do a lot worse than selecting him on one of those wings.
Speaker 2: Spiders on at the moment. He's a serious talent.
Speaker 4: But yeah, on the Blues, it was quite interesting smoothly looking at the deepest statistics in this game, and it was almost as if the Blues maybe took a look at what the Crusaders did last week against the Highlanders in terms of backing themselves without the ball, backing their defense, backing their kicking game, and said we might try that too. You know, the Force had was it sixty one percent of possession, sixty percent of territory. Blues ended up making one hundred and ninety ten tackles to the Forces ninety three. So as you say it wasn't vintage from the Blues, they did what was required.
Speaker 2: They turned the screws late.
Speaker 4: They went back to what has been successful for them over the last eighteen or so months in terms of that direct style of play in and around the ruck and just I guess sort of constantly applying that pressure until the defense wilts and they got the bonus point ultimately, so that they've given themselves a chance. Look, they've got an interesting run home with a trip now to face the Drawer over there in Fiji, who of course beat the Reds and the Weekend Read's a pretty handy team at the minute as well. So the draw very much have an opportunity to continue their spoiling run given they're.
Speaker 2: Out of the playoff picture.
Speaker 4: But yeah, if you're a Blues fan, I don't think you can be crowing that we're back or anything like that, but a step in the right direction. It's just whether now they can build on that momentum. Because for me, anyway, I thought when they only would just be in by James O'Connor penalty down my way against the Crusaders a few weeks ago, I thought, well, there was a lot to like actually about that Blues performance. They should have actually beaten the Crusaders down here in christ which yet they go over to Brisbane the next week and the wheels fell off, so for Vern Cotter, it's now about stability, looking at the reviews, seeing what worked well and trying to apply that and build some pressure as they go through.
Speaker 2: With Drewer mowana Ge.
Speaker 4: That's going to be a cracking game in a couple of weeks, then a bye and then the Wireta's at.
Speaker 5: Home absolutely, and look, we mentioned to see where they get Caleb Clark maybe back this week for the trip to Fiji. They obviously one have Mark Dalaire for a couple more weeks yet, but if they can get Caleb Clarke back in that changes the back line a little bit. They can move Aj Lamb probably back to midfield, which I think is a stronger mix in him. In twelve he came off the bench shot on the weekend. Vancotta reluctant to give too many details. They made a switch at training on Thursday, so whether it was a off field matter, I'm not entirely sure. He came off the bench when he was originally listed to starter on the left wing. If you gets some consistency going build some momentum. Again, we talk about the Hurricanes and they've got more momentum in the Blues habit at this point, but not aside you'd want to face in week one, especially if you've got that one or two home seating in the playoffs. You wouldn't want to welcome the Blues to town.
Speaker 2: No, you wouldn't.
Speaker 4: They've got enough playoff experience within that mix to after last year. So yeah, they're a dangerous prospect. I'm still far from convinced, and certainly I'm sure there's even some up your way, Ali who would agree that they're not in the position obviously that they would have thought they would have been in after the success they had last year. But they're in with a chance, as are many teams. But yeah, they'd have to be one, maybe just one pig below the Hurricanes I want want to face, and they're opening run in the playoffs, all.
Speaker 5: Right, They's tack ad break here on rug Bitterrick come back with the second half of the podcast after this with our friends at Habit Health.
Speaker 1: This is Rugby Direct, a podcast for real rugby fans.
Speaker 5: Every try to drive, had sixty second, every tackle to tackle get up again?
Speaker 1: Well I take him before At time It's Ruggy Direct Talk.
Speaker 5: You're back with Rugby Direct powered by Habit Health. Time now for our Final four for Rugby Top Berks, myself and Nick debate them. Topic number one, Nick must if you saw this last week, but changes to the World seven Series from next season now. There's been some financial issues plaguing the series since they went to this new format a couple of years ago. Trimmed it down, but what it hasn't done is trim the costs, which was largely sort of why they did. It's become a more streamlined sort of model. I think they had up to twelve thirteen World Series tournaments at one stage. Obviously New Zealand used to be on the calendar. They've gone back to seven teams sorry seven series, so six plus a World Championship, which is ongoing at the moment in Los Angeles. They've decided that's not enough and they're going to go to the top eight teams in the world play the top tier, and teams eight downwards going to a second tier that feeds potentially into the top tier in a World Championship. Bit convoluted, but ultimately one of the other changes is two day events, and we're going to see more of the top teams play each other because there's only going to be eight teams at every of the top tier World Series events. There's all sorts of flow charts and diagrams if you want to dive a little bit more deeply into this. But what do you make of these changes?
Speaker 4: N'tick still no valelves for Sevens in their marketing, so a bit concerned that that wasn't top of the list in terms of changes, but no, look at it does very much feel like last chance saloon for the Sevens. I know they're obviously part of the Olympic program and have been since Rio in twenty sixteen, but yeah, it was interesting, but perhaps massaging of this announcement because ultimately you still have your six tournaments so this year for examples, do buy Cape Town, Perth, Vancouver, Hong Kong, Singapoint and at the moment as we record this podcast, the Los Angeles Final. So it's very much that X plus one for the top tier, and then there's going to be another six tournaments for tiers two and three.
Speaker 2: I guess my biggest question is who.
Speaker 4: Outside of you know, the real hardcore fans of those teams ranked nine to sixteen is tuning into those tournaments both at venue and on the broadcast, and maybe it's just me and the fact that my interest has dimmed a little bit following on from I guess the halcyon days of Wellington and to Hamilton are now no longer a presence here. And look, I don't want to take anything away from the Black Fans seven success as well. They're probably the main reason that i'd tune in and see how they're going because some of the rugby seven's rugby they play is top tier, you know, arguably better than watching some of the men's games. So it's an interesting conundrum. I wonder I'll send it back to you, Elliott, but if they weren't in the Olympics cycle, they're coming up Olympic cycle twenty twenty eight, would they just run a line through sevens and go It's been a great run, but something has to give and we're not a bottomless pit of money.
Speaker 5: Well, I think that's a very very good question, and yeah, I think they might, honestly, and World Rugby has tried to make sevens work, tried to make this World Series work for a number of years, and you're right, they're not a bottomless pit of cash. The Olympics was supposedly going to be the start of something for sevens and it was all sorts of talk about how players are going to cross codes and go and play the chase of Olympic medal.
Speaker 2: Look.
Speaker 5: I can remember being on the Sports Tesk and Sean Johnson was asked about it, would he want to make an Olympic middle That's never happened. None of those players have crossed over and it's still been seen there as rather niche when we had Antone de Pont make it, but that was for a home World sorry home Olympics and Paris in twenty twenty four, and that was huge and it was great.
Speaker 3: But it's not going.
Speaker 5: To see more all blacks crossover and play sevens at LA twenty eight. So the World Series, they just do not quite know what to do with it. And as long as there's in the sevens and I think the World Series survives, But I think the Olympic spot is the question. You know, there's flag football potentially coming in or for the next Olympics and all sorts of challenges for it that I just don't know they can necessarily guarantee that sevens will be at the Olympics. I think wild rugby obviously love to keep it there, but they just can't quite figure it out. And maybe if it wasn't at the Olympics, you'd be reduced to maybe just keeping say a Hong Kong event or a Dubai and maybe two or three events a year, and that wouldn't be great for the blackfan sevens program, which has been so so good in recent times. But I just get the feeling that world rugby don't know what to do with it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, completely agree, and I as you made me think around whether franchising sevens is the way to go. But like what we're having with Tea twenty cricket at the moment, you know, you get all these bilateral international series that don't really shift the needle, But then you've got an Indian Premier League or a competitions over in the UK. Could a franchise again, who's funding that?
Speaker 2: I don't know?
Speaker 4: But could that sort of create some interest? And then you're one and only international sevens is the Olympics and if it still exists the Commonwealth Games. I'm not so sure, but I think some big decisions that have been made, it feels like a real fork in the road moment for sevens.
Speaker 5: It certainly does topic two. The Black Ferns announced their squad for the Pack four, which she gets underway well this weekend from a New Zealand perspective, at least when they play Australia at in Newcastle on Saturday afternoon. No Renee Homes, no Ruby Towey, no Chelsea Bremner, all filling the axe from Allen Bunting. What do you make of these selections? Look, I looked at it and thought, I don't know if Ruby Tooey is in the top mix of outside backs in New Zealand at the moment. Didn't think she had a great or picky campaign. Renee Holmes, I don't think I had a great or peacky campaign. But she's been there, done that for the Black Ferns and offers the goalkicking as well, so I was a little bit more surprised to see her there. But I genuinely didn't know if Bunting would be brave enough to cut Toey, but he has been and now it's a long way back for her to get a spot at the World Cut. What have you made of these selections?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is a long way back because you look at it, well, I guess it's far aparmer Carp, isn't it. That's the only way you can really shift the needle. And then how much can you gain from their compared to how many inroads can be made by the current Black Ferns mix in the in the pack four before the World Cup. But I feel they had to pick Braxton, Sirence and McGhee, so you had to make room a concession there for at least one player. And then the fact that Porsche Woodman Wickliffe was listed as an outside back as opposed to a midfielder.
Speaker 2: Again, you had to make room.
Speaker 4: For Porscha Woodman Wickcliffe in your mix if you plan on playing her on the wing. And as you say, based on the ope key form alone, I feel like that was the right call to bring Sirence and McGhee and Woodman and Wickcliffe in and Tilley and Holmes out. It will be interesting to see the point you made the elliot around Renee Holmes at fullback. I just looked at again looking through that list, and that's probably where I wonder, outside of Sorrence and McGee, who are they thinking as back up fullback? So of any of them, I feel like Renee Holmes has the greater chance of maybe getting back in over Toy, which is a pretty big cool given Ruby Toy standing in the women's game.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm intrigued. I if Braxton's sign and McGee is injured, where that Mex goes for fullback is really interesting. I wonder whether Callie brazy It might be asked to play fullback. Potentially she's a traveling reserved to Newcastle. Intrigued to see where they go to with that.
Speaker 4: I think I heard Alan Barling story say Rissy pory Lane, who's obviously away with the Sevens, is sort of a hybrid nine fifteen option in his mind. So that's where this versatility of these sevens players come. Obviously we're waiting to see how Georgia Miller slots back and listed there is a loose forward, but yeah, still some decisions to be made or I'm fascinated by how it all unfolds over the coming weeks.
Speaker 5: Yes, indeed, so am I and topic at number three, let's after round twelve give us your super Rugby top six and finishing order. Nick, I want to hear how you're thinking with just a few rounds to go.
Speaker 4: Well, look if Jack Mesley or Kevin Malowy is listening to this edition of the Rugby Direct podcast. Just have a look on the NRL dot com website. They've got this thing called a ladder predictor that would be great to do.
Speaker 2: Rather than my notes here where I was manually.
Speaker 4: Trying to figure out how many points each team is going to win in the next three or four weeks. But I've done my best look, I think, and probably maybe call me bys whatever being based down here in Christs, but I think the Crusaders are going to finish top. It's level at the moment with the Chiefs, but they do have the.
Speaker 2: Benefit of a game in hand.
Speaker 4: I do see them dropping one of those four, whether that's the Chiefs this weekend, whether that's the Waretas has been an unhappy hunting ground in Sydney, or even the Brumbies. It isn't the easiest run home, but I back them to finish top and then I've got the Chiefs second. They either lose this weekend or even if they do win, as I say, toss of a coin, maybe points differential. It does come down to between the Crusader and the Chiefs. But I'm backing them to beat Mowana and the Highlanders. The Brumbies of course have beat them tars at the weekend. I'm backing them to to win at least two of the three and again wouldn't shock me if they beat the Crusaders and Cameras. I've got them third. The big mover of the last fortnight is the cane train. Hopefullyam Napier's enjoying this on the flight back home. But look, I've got them beating the Highlanders, I've got them beat even beating the Reds in Brisbane, and I've got them beating Maana. So they're fourth for mine. The Reds dropped to fifth. They've got enough points in the bag though to hold on. I think they'll win one of their last four and in sixth position at the moment.
Speaker 2: Hold on to your hats the Blues.
Speaker 3: I'm one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tough scene.
Speaker 4: Apologies for all our faithful fans, listeners and supporters of Majana. I think they'll do enough even if they drop a game from here, so the Blues run home. They got the drawer that crucial game against Moana and the Waratas, who can't win anywhere outside of New South Wales.
Speaker 2: So that's my sex. Unfortunately for Milana.
Speaker 4: I just feel, you know, when we reflect back to earlier in the podcast and we were talking about some of those games against the Highlanders for example, the Hurricanes, or even that Chiefs won and Poker Co they shouldn't have won.
Speaker 2: They should have won.
Speaker 4: Perhaps they did so much poor work in that first forty to make it an insurmountable task. But it's just that that run home Blues at home, Chiefs away, Hurricanes away. For me, they're just going to fall short, but it's gonna be a fantastic finish and that's what we want in this competition. There's going to be a lot of interest in these next three weeks because nothing is guarantee.
Speaker 2: That's just one man's prediction about you.
Speaker 3: We've got.
Speaker 5: I've got the same top six as you, just in a slightly different order. I've gone Chiefs to round out top. I think the Crusaders will drop points, whether it's this week, Similar to you, I think they've got at least one game or a loss coming up in that last four games. It's a tricky ish run home for them, whether it comes this week or against the Brumbies or Wartas away. So I got the Chiefs top the Crusaders, second the Brumbies and third Hurricanes. Fourth Blues I've got making it in fifth and the Reds to come home in sixth at the end.
Speaker 3: So no Mowana.
Speaker 5: But boy, if they can beat the Blues at home in a couple of weeks time, the seventeenth, I believe it is at North Harbor Stadium, which has turned into a little bit of a fortress for them, then that shakes up the whole race in itself, so there is more water to go under the bridge. But as it stands, I think the Blues will make it and Mawana with that Chiefs, Hurricanes Blues run in just a little bit too much ground to make up unfortunately.
Speaker 4: And look, don't rule out the drawer beating the Blues this week. I'm just going to say that here, and I'm either going to look like a genius or an idiot in seven days time. But they're on their day and better in Laotoka, but still equally pretty handy and suver. That's no gimmy for the Blues, so just watch out for that one this week.
Speaker 5: Nd he was a cracking win. They got over the Reds as well. Last minute try to get the job done over the weekend, which has them in fifteenth in the latter and so that is remarkable to be bottom and have fifteen points on the board. Final topic in the Final four, Jordy Barrett stint at Leinster won't win the Champigins cut but hasn't been worth it. So Len's obviously losing to Northampton, which is I've seen some people call it one of the biggest shocks in European Champions Cup history. I think Leinster were twenty point favorites according to some of the stats and the bookies. They dropped that game and a little bit of a chatter that maybe ended and the conditioning program meant that Jordy Barrett couldn't start. He came off the bench played the last half hour from a couple of commentators suggested that maybe he was still mad at the match despite any coming on for half an hour, But would you classify the stint has been worth it for Jordy Barrett.
Speaker 4: Like I listened to Jordy again Weekend Sport with Jason Pine a few weeks ago and look, I'll take his comments at face value. He feels like he wanted to go over there test himself in a new environment, grow his game.
Speaker 2: And come back a better player.
Speaker 4: And as of a few weeks ago, his comments were, Yep, I've ticked those boxes. And by all accounts of those who follow the game closer in the Northern Hemisphere, he's been a sensation. Has been quite interesting though, hasn't it Smithy around? There's been a little bit of commentary and maybe misguided commentary around. You know, he's been playing week in, week out and he's going to be a bit naked or spent by the time he gets back for a potential All Blacks series against France in July. But if you look a bit closer, he had the best part of eight weeks off during the Six Nations, so it will be interesting. I guess the proof will ultimately be when he comes back and what is a real stacked midfield picture to see what type of form Jordi Barrett is. But look, I'm all for these experiences if it helps keeping our top tier talent in New Zealand long term, and look, I personally wouldn't mind. Where were actually chatting to a couple of Crusaders senior Crusaders players at a media session a couple of weeks ago. I won't name names, but they were saying I'd love to see it go the other way, where they get a you know, a Sam Prendergas for example, comes down and plays for the Highlanders for a season, you know, Like I think that would spark even greater interest and transfer movement and rugby, and it doesn't necessarily have to just be a one way strict well.
Speaker 5: One of the most successful has been Publo Meteta, who came in twenty twenty two and did that season with the Crusaders because he wanted experience, you know, the New Zealand style of rugby, and I thought it was great for the comp there. Yes, they're only coming for one season and it's the short term attachment, but I think ultimately creates interest in the comp interest in everything. Henry Pollock's been a real staff for an English rugby on the rise. If you want to come and improve his game and go to the Hurricanes or go to the Crusade wherever it might be, that's going to create interest. So but I think ultimately we might see more of it in world rugby, which can only be a good thing. Let's get into our being. Liam had a good week. He picked four of five, got the Reds drew a game wrong, but else where he was correct with the Blues, Canes, Brumbies and Mowana. I picked the Chiefs and the Highlanders to get victories and they did not. So he's closed the gap to five points, thirty nine and a half to thirty four and a half. So pressure's on you here this week, Nick, to see how whether you can keep some of the He's on me.
Speaker 4: Only only the four games, so yeah, I got much much runway here, but I'll do my best.
Speaker 2: Lamb.
Speaker 5: Well, you picked earlier a couple of moments ago drew a Blues You suggested look out for a drawer up. See any willing to lock that in?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I lock it in, you know, So I'll stay true to my word. I think.
Speaker 4: The nature of the Blues season being a little bit up and down. I just get I'm still unconvinced, and I haven't really been convinced in them all year. And I don't think the force, you know, despite their their improvement, are a real line in the sand. You know, when if you beat them by X amount of points, all of a sudden, you're a good team.
Speaker 5: So toss d I'm going the Blues to get it done in a close one live on Godsport and my Heart Radio. Warritars and Reds stat against state made against mate Sydney the venue for this one. The war retar is very disappointing on the weekend against the Brumbies. But do they bounce back against their old rivals.
Speaker 4: This is a tough one for mine, given both teams were a little bit disappointing and the Reds sets a long road trip home from Suva back to Brisbane, back to Brisbane and then down to Sydney, and just given the home record of the Waratars, I think that may give them the edge if I had.
Speaker 2: To make a pick, which I do, That's why I'm here.
Speaker 5: So yeah, Tars, I'm going to visit as the Reds to win that one. Looking forward to this one. Crusaders cheap seven o five on Saturday night at Apollo Project stating a hum in christ Church. Or check the forecast, it's going to be three degrees Saturday nights.
Speaker 3: Nick, what do you reckon?
Speaker 4: Well, look, just firstly as a recommendation, because you are calling this one, Elliott while you're down here and I'm hopefully going to be sunning myself on the Sunshine coast.
Speaker 2: M yeah, pack up all your layers electric.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was about to say for our listeners radio sport listeners. Back in the day Corey Flynn used to pack an electric blanket on occasion might be required. Just the nature of that window as it just gets through in the corner of the standard there up into our commentary position.
Speaker 2: But you'll love it.
Speaker 3: How excited if next year it's going to be unreal?
Speaker 2: Absolutely unreal? Cannot wait?
Speaker 4: But yeah on this one fascinating contest, isn't it, and probably will determine who finishes top spots. We haven't really got to it, but you know, Takim a confirmation season ending knee knee injury and subsequent surgery coming up to repair his acl Like I thought Rivers Rayhanna was steady enough against the Highlanders.
Speaker 2: But the Highland aren't the chiefs.
Speaker 4: And I'm really intrigued come Wednesday afternoon when we see all the teams. Do they stick with Ray Harner as a starter and O'Connor as a closer or do they look to reverse that? But I will keep my faith in the Crusaders at home.
Speaker 3: Just I think the Chiefs.
Speaker 5: Look, the Crusaders got beaten by them, what almost fifty points earlier in the comp They've improved obviously since then. But I think the Chiefs with Damie McKenzie back, Wallace a teed might start this week after a couple of weeks off the bench.
Speaker 3: I think the Chiefs in a close one. I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 4: Gee, this is a real swing week all of a sudden, isn't it is? In competition?
Speaker 5: It could be dangerous for my lead and the Force and the Brumbies to round out a shortened week of Super rugby this one in Perth on Saturday night. Now the Force now on the outside looking in of the playoffs. But if they win that, look it's all go again. So what do you reckon to The Force went at home?
Speaker 4: Well, just based on the final four before, I've got the Brumbies winning out.
Speaker 2: So that includes this one.
Speaker 4: I thought after the loss they had against Hurricans, they were very impressive against the Tars and I expect that momentum to extend this week through in this game in Perth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm with you. I'm going to give you the same one. That one. I think the Brumby's to win that one.
Speaker 5: In Perth Rugby Deric Metal voting time, Artie Savier out on top on thirteen vote and Barrett on twelve. Will Jordan in third on nine points. Nick, your three two ones if you'd be so kind.
Speaker 4: Yeah, three two ones for mine, and look, rugby direct medal leader is going to push a bit clear via me because I've got three points for Artie Savia. We wax lyrical at the top, but he was sensational again and the miner's position and.
Speaker 2: Sixth on the ladder at the moment. A large part of that.
Speaker 4: Is through his influence. So three points for Artie Savia. I got two for Ruben Love, who looks very much at home as a ten and I'm I think it's going to do his all blacks credentials or selection potential all the world of good his versatility, but he is riding a waiver of confidence at the moment, goal kicking very slick, Love that crossfield kick and just the confidence of him at ten. So he gets my two with a big win over the Chiefs and that was the big statement win for me of the week. So my one I start tossing up between a number of hurricanes players, but I've ended up landing on Callum Harkin just because I think it's a real story of perseverance. Didn't get a super rugby contract at the beginning of the year. I thought he was actually very impressive in NPC. Has fought his way back in through circumstance and injury, and again he looks very slick at fifteen and a real point of difference from his kicking game and running game. And yeah he gets my one point might be the first point for him or the Rugby Direct medal, but he's on the board.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought he was excellent.
Speaker 5: Again. It was great hearing the clip from him this week that last week rather than Collie Adam Cooper when he spoke to him after all those wins in Wellington last week and he said he probably still would have been out on the building site because that's his trade and his old boss wasn't favorable to calling it a day too early, so if it wasn't rugby, he was doing here. But he's probably on the building site, still out in the wins, so he's quite grateful to be chucking the ball around.
Speaker 3: I thought that was great.
Speaker 5: Our threes and twos are exactly the same, Artie Savia, What more can you say? I think he's the best player in the world at the moment, probably alongside Antilino point obviously injured, but just the whole array of skills we saw from him in that Moana game. He was exceptional. So he is going to extend out with two three pointers this week. Rubin Love gets my two as well, and I'm giving one to Boden. Barrett pulled the strings in that game against the Force for the Blues and we'll keep them really alive in the playoff mix and did what they needed to do, So Boden gets my one.
Speaker 3: Well update you next week, I can tell you.
Speaker 5: Artie Savia is right out in front of this rugby director MVP medal vote. That about does us for rank be direct for a week? Nick, thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your time as always, and you enjoy a well deserved break across the ditch.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much, Elliott, and enjoy the comforts of Apollo Orange Theory projects, Ami, whatever it's called these days, You're in for a treat.
Speaker 2: Saturday Night Night shall be a cracking game. Can't wait to churn it.
Speaker 3: Looking forward to that on gold Sport on iHeartRadio. Just a quick programming note.
Speaker 5: We'll be back next Wednesday. Slightly delay podcast next week, but we look forward.
Speaker 3: To joining you again. Then.
Speaker 5: Thanks to Last and Bars English and I thanks it as always to Habit Health, tackling all your aches and pains from sports and work.
Speaker 1: For more from news Talks at b Listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcast on iHeartRadio