Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from News Talks by.
Speaker 2: Day and welcome back to the show. This is the Weekend Collector on Tim Beverage. If we missed her, I had a fantastic chat with Dr w Weaver on her well, she's a nutritional nutritional biochemist. We ended up focusing a little bit about just not just burnt out but iron and you know, how.
Speaker 3: To eat for.
Speaker 2: A healthy diet, and a bunch of broad ranging conversation around that. But you can go and check it out on the new Stalksby website or on iHeartRadio just look for the Weekend Collective. And for politics, we were joined by Erica Stanford to talk about the new parent boostvill on the immigration side, where we're going to allow parents to come in for longer if they're sponsored by their kids, and they're changing a bit there. But also we had a chat with with Jordan Williams from the Taxpayers Union about polling and what questions you want to see answer in and polling.
Speaker 3: It was quite interesting.
Speaker 2: I would recommend it just to get an explanation of the dreaded margin of error which gets lip service in the polls and people go what's that margin?
Speaker 3: Evvera all about?
Speaker 2: Well, Jordan was pretty good on having a chat about that, But right now this is smart money and we are going to have a bit of a chat about Kiwi Saver.
Speaker 3: The question for you is.
Speaker 2: Actually how much time you have spent thinking about your key we saver profile, the company you're with. Did you just go with the default one of your bank like I did? Confession time? Anyway? But have you ever thought about changing your profile or have you ever thought about changing your company? And how often have you thought about it? And how many of you have actually haven't done it?
Speaker 3: In the EI? You know what, I think I should probably change my profile.
Speaker 2: I know that there are people who have done it, because especially when it was around the time people were looking at maybe getting into the first house, and it's a constant thing now for first time buyers because they think, well, hang on a minute, I want to use that money. So I'm going to go to conservative because I'm happy with where it's at and I don't want to risk it any longer. So those people probably have actively done it, But I want to know how often have you thought about it and have you done it? And how did you make the decision because I do a money out. I'm no financial expert, and I'll be honest with you in terms of choosing your company. I have met a few people who've got their own funds, but I haven't gone to them yet because I don't know. I'm going to have to dig into that. That's a confession anyway, to join me. We have a new guest on the show. He is the founder of Cora Wealth and his name is Rupert Carlyon and he's with us for smart Money.
Speaker 3: Get a Rupert.
Speaker 4: Good evening? Are you good?
Speaker 3: Good evening? I think it is evening.
Speaker 5: I guess winter, so it's darkouse it does make it look wintery.
Speaker 2: That's the first hot take of the day. Good evening at ten past five.
Speaker 5: Well, I've got young kids, so for me, this is firmly evening time.
Speaker 2: So you're missing okay, so you're missing dinner time right now and hopefully.
Speaker 5: Are missing all the fun stuff of the day. Oh yeah, but the dinner and all of the absolute mayhem.
Speaker 2: So this is perfect, excellent, Well, welcome, good to No wonder you're not coming to us from the home office. It's like I've really got to go in for this one. Honey, hey, just before we get into it, how tell us about Coral Wealth and how long you've been involved with that company and what you do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so we're can we save a provider? We're about five years old. We currently manage about three hundred million dollars on behalf of about seven thousand members. I started the business about five years ago and partnership with a guy called Warren Coollier. Warren was previously COEO at Fish Funds. He was a made investor at Generate c IO Chief Investment Investment Officer, so he built a lot of that stuff. And what we believed very firmly was everything that you said in the introduction. We wanted to create an easy way for people to make better KEI. We saber decisions because we saw far too many people had no idea where to put their KEYI sab far too many people sitting in the default funds.
Speaker 4: And to our aunt's at all of this was.
Speaker 5: We were the first in market with a pretty comprehensive digital advice tool to make allow people to make smart decisions.
Speaker 3: Okay, so and you've got a key we save a fund.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you got a key.
Speaker 3: As you say, you've managed However, a hundred million.
Speaker 2: You mentioned, does that make it where does it make it in the scale in the scheme of things, because what is the total KEII saver.
Speaker 3: Global and not global? But you know in your part what's the pot?
Speaker 2: The pot's the one I'm going to write down.
Speaker 4: The pot.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure that's a technical terminology, but it's a nice way to think about it. So the key Saber pot's about a hundred twenty to one hundred and twenty five billion dollars. Wow, it's a lot of that. About sixty percent of that is actually still with the banks, which is really interesting, right.
Speaker 2: Because unsurprising, I'll be honest, because I was honest there that I just I mean, I'm self employed, so I've got a bunch of problems to deal with on that.
Speaker 3: But to me, I was just.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, okay, yeah, the okay A and Z Yeah, sure that's I'll go with that. And it's amazing because there is a large number of key we Saber providers. I don't know if people actually realize how many there are.
Speaker 5: A lot as as I've said a few times, it's exactly the same as craft beer.
Speaker 4: Do you go on to the.
Speaker 5: Stude market, and you got your thirty five craft beer providers on the supermarket and on the shelf, and key We Saber is no different.
Speaker 4: You got thirty five and.
Speaker 5: For everyday people, it's really hard to tell the difference because for most people, and I'm sure this is why you haven't switched and changed, we look, we feel, we smell the same because we are eighty five percent the same.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess that's because there's also some serious regulation around key We Saber because it's not the wild West. It needs to be something that that New Zealanders can count on with a degree of knowing that you know your money is not being looked after by some shyster. And so the amount of compliance and everything does level the playing field?
Speaker 3: Does that make it?
Speaker 2: Also because of the rules, I mean, it's the it's the it's the benefit of that key We Saber scheme is that it is perceived to be an absolute safe place, risk profile separate of course.
Speaker 5: Well even within that right, So there is a couple of things.
Speaker 4: So you're one hundred.
Speaker 5: Percent right that from a from a regular Troy perspective, it's it's as safe as you can get, right, So it's very different to the two thousand and eight finance companies, which were most of them were just shyster's kind of investing money.
Speaker 2: Oh, I still remember the ad. So here's I take to mention the companies. But all these ridiculous they made it sound so safe. Put your money with us.
Speaker 5: We'll put it this way. You know, when you've got all black or a news presenter pitching you, that's the time to run.
Speaker 3: People.
Speaker 2: If you ever see me fronting an ad for some fund, run a mile. I'll be doing well out of us, and you'll be telling them it's safe as houses.
Speaker 4: But look, so it is.
Speaker 5: It's a very strict regulatory regime, which is rightly so because fundamentally it is the largest investment that most people ever have. People are kind of setting their retirement all on this. So we keep our fund separately.
Speaker 6: We do.
Speaker 5: We are pretty we are mandated to hold a safe set of safest set of investments.
Speaker 2: Well that's actually a question because when I looked to changing my fund to a more aggressive one, because I just went and balanced because I don't know one, it just felt, you know again, it seemed inoffensive, and then I thought, hang on a minute, I'm optimistic coming and being in a workplace for a while. Yet so I shifted to growth and aggressive or something. But understanding risk and key we save it is one thing to go and make your own decisions about which of the s and P five hundred you want to buy versus going aggressive in your KIWI saver. Can you give us a context for how risky is it ever? In the most risky fund and ki saver?
Speaker 5: It's I'm just trying to think how to answer that, right, because the truth is the word fund is really important. And so because when you invest via a fund, you get diversification, and what that means in layman speakers, fundamentally you're going to get different markets, different sectors, and you're going to invest in tens or hundreds or thousands of different companies. And so that's why immediately by investing in a fund typically you have actually materially reduced your risk profile versus if you just go and try and invest in Facebook or Microsoft on your own.
Speaker 2: So that sort of answers that puts it in context already, isn't it? So it does every fund does every fund guardless of whether it's low risk, conservative or aggressive. I don't know what what are the names they give about those aggressive funds, you know, hang on, oh exactly, but even they are diversified, and so is the thing with those funds is that the risk is more that a market itself across its diversification might have some.
Speaker 3: Highs and lows.
Speaker 2: We've seen with I mean, we've seen with the Donald Trump presidency the highs and lows of the SMP. I mean, there might be a fund that is SMP and actually, you know what, if you need if you need your money in six months, it might be that might not be the bet as opposed to in five years time.
Speaker 5: You know, well, yeah, because so there's three to kind of as we think about diversification, you divers four different levels. Right at the start, you start off an asset class, and that's a fency way saying do you want lots of stocks and lots of equities in your portfolio or at a simplastic income And so the benefits when we buy income that means we're buying bond that's pretty sable, steady, doesn't really go up and down and just gives you a fixed return. Whereas as we've seen over the last kind of five years, the equity market, it just massively over and above. Right, it's been dropped more than twenty percent about ten times over the last five years, so it's had some big, big falls.
Speaker 4: But it typically recovers.
Speaker 5: So what we say, So that's where we start off with, right, So you go, hey, if you're in it for the long haul, then you can have lots of equities and that's going to deliver.
Speaker 4: A greater return over the long run.
Speaker 5: But if you need to get it out in six months time, when you've just Donald Trump's made his next announcement, You've got some problems.
Speaker 2: When he's decided to really doesn't like elon the EV and well, I mean, yeah, anyway, hey, sorry kerry On.
Speaker 5: And then you move into kind of regions, so some funds might be region specific, other funds might be kind of global, and then you've got company and sector specific. And so diversification is the name of how you make your money, by making sure that you're never overexposed to a single thing or a single kind of piece at all, because lots of things are going to go up, yeah, lots of things are going to go down. And fundamentally, if you knew exactly what was going to go up and win, well, you wouldn't even have my job, you'd be at a hedge fund management.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing is, we were talking before you before we started the show about the theory behind the key we saver funds just actually investment in general, and there's there's a whole space where you can go really deep into the weeds on that stuff. How I mean, how clever can people be with working out investments that are going to give a good return? I mean, how advanced does that theory? And what can you tell us about that?
Speaker 5: Look, there is so much theory, but what we are brilliant at in the finance world is demonstrating to everyone by talking really fast with very complicated words, that we are we believe ourselves to be the.
Speaker 4: Smartest people on the own.
Speaker 5: The truth is thoughtments can be extremely simple if you've got the right asset allocation and by that I mean the right diversification. There are lots of simple products out there that can deliver really great returns. And so we kind of spend like you'll get people and I'm sure you've had lots of come on this program tell you that they're the greatest stockpacker, or that they do this, they do this evidence has shown that kind of ninety five percent of returns are delivered by simple good asset allocation, by kind of creating the right strategy, and you just stick with that. The person that spends all the time trying to pick the right stock, trying to pick the right trend slows far more often.
Speaker 3: It's like the bet.
Speaker 2: It's almost like a betting mentality, isn't It's like masts will go down. It's just a different version of betting on the horses, you know it.
Speaker 5: And within that, Look, there are always going to be bets, and there are always going to be people that go, look, I want to do something a little bit different. So the most biggest one at the moment is bitcoin for example, Right.
Speaker 3: I actually get when I was doing.
Speaker 4: Because you had a we do have a bitcoin fund.
Speaker 2: You had a bitcoin fund, and I did see that you were cautioning investors. It's like, okay, our bitcoin fund has returned very well in the past, but you actually, I think I saw you'd said, just call your jets with your future expectations.
Speaker 3: We've done well, can we.
Speaker 4: Just we'll get that one across the FML if you've seen that?
Speaker 3: So what's that?
Speaker 5: At my job as kind of a wow. To be fair as an investor and with investors is to kind of make sure people understand that, hey, that there's a lot of risk in everything that we do. So if I'm out there saying, hey, you should invest in bitcoin because for the last five years it's to deliver an annualized return on sixty percent and that's going to continue, that's not fair because fundamentally, past performance never equals future performance, and so I need to give balance. So that's why I'm always saying, hey, it's an interesting asset. It's done really, really well, but we have no idea what's going to happen in the future.
Speaker 2: Because I will always get texts on the show saying I'll just stick your money in bitcoin and stuff, and you know, I've got no comment to make on it, but it just freaks me out generally.
Speaker 5: Well, but I'll give you the sophisticated view on that one. Right where you go it is risky, and let's be clear, we're not one hundred percent sure on where it's going to go. But if you put five percent of your portfolio and bitcoin, that's actually got the potential to do something really interesting for your portfolio. But it's not about taking it all resk right, So coming back to where I started diversification. The person that sits rings you up and says put everything in bitcoin, that is truly gambling. Whereas by putting little bits and lots of different places, that's what's allowing you to expose yourself to some potential for big ones.
Speaker 2: Okay, Look, we'd love your calls on this. When it comes to your key we Saver fund and I know we've done. Look we getting to know each other because it's the first time on the show with Robert carlai On, the founder of Curel Wealth. And when it comes to your fund, are you sort of just settling for the status quocus? You know, I got into it when the government announced it there was this fund, my bank was operating. I'm shoved it and balanced because that sounds kind of not the right sort of balance of zen for me.
Speaker 3: But have you thought about changing?
Speaker 2: But what's stopping you? Give us a call eight hundred eighty t and eighty. But also if you have actually managed to change your profile or the company you have got your key we sable with, what motivated you to do it and what was the homework that you did that.
Speaker 3: Motivated you to go right.
Speaker 2: This is the decision I'm making eight hundred eighty and eighty. It is twenty two past five news talks at b Are you worried about funding a comfortable retirement? Well you're not alone. The cost of living crisis is hitting up for a lot of people, so it's no surprise people are looking to make for ways to make the most of their savings and get a little bit more income to supplement their New Zealand super One interesting solution is to invest in an income fund like the Harbor Income Fund. It works by holding a mix of interest paying securities and shares that have been designed to generate a steady and sustainable income no matter the market. The Harbor Income Fund is actively managed and currently it pays the distribution of four point five percent per annum after fees and taxes paid out in monthly installments. To find out more about Harbor's Income Fund, just head to their website or speak with your financial advisor. This is not intended as personalized advice. The Product Disclosure Statement for Harbor Investment Funds issued by Harbor Asset Management is available at Harborasset dot co dot nz.
Speaker 1: Your Weekend Your Way, The Weekend Collective with Tim Beverage News Dog Zebby.
Speaker 2: So we're talking about kiwisaver, and actually, I think my guest Rupert Carlyin, he's the founder of Career Wealth, first time on the show. By the way, taking your calls put it best when we're chatting on the break, it's really about how to take ConTroll of your kiisaver and how many of your passengers because.
Speaker 3: What do we reckon?
Speaker 2: How many people do you think are just passengers? Rupert, And you're just looking at all the number of people with banks and go, well sixty percent at least.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well yeah, but tilt.
Speaker 5: I love to bash the banks because they do a pretty shitty job on a lot of stuff, but a lot of the banks act. Some of them are better than others. In keysaver, that's not necessarily the end of the world being with your bank. Here, we've got digital advice tools, right, So over the last five years we've had kind of about forty thousand people through those tools, and what we find is that less than forty percent of people are in this and the type of fund that we would recommend.
Speaker 2: So what are these digital advice tools and how do people check them out.
Speaker 5: So if you visit our website dubdub dot cod ol wealth ko U R A W E A L T H dot co door NZ, you'll see kind of there's a digital advice tool you can take through. We'll do a quick assessment of your risk profile, what your objectives are for qisaver, some of the things that might interest you, on where and how you want to build your KISAB, and then we'll make a recommendation for you.
Speaker 4: But I think the interesting.
Speaker 5: Part about that tool for us is when we say two things that the type of fund that we would recommend is very different to the one that they're already in, which means that which is normal because not many keywis of E had financial advice. Not many people have ever actually really thought hard about their QUI saving despite the fact that it's going to be the largest investment they ever have.
Speaker 3: How does it play out?
Speaker 2: Because you know, we have often will be making and I will when I get a guest on and about we're not giving specific financial advice. How does that play into the tools that are available when they're saying what funder should I be in? Because you were sort of in the area of giving is it?
Speaker 4: It is advice.
Speaker 3: It is advice.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's advice based. Oh good, I just want to no no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 5: That's the beauty about digital advice, right So yeah, that's that's why what we can do with our tools, because we're brave enough to call it digital advice, is a lot more than what the generic tools on sorted or other things are going to do right by. And I find it hard because there will be a lot of generic tools that go, well, you might want this, or you might want this. But with the fact of the number of questions that we ask about you, that's how we can make it specific and personal.
Speaker 2: For I might ask a question of my own time once we have the next break. Because the funny thing was when I went to change my I've had discussions with a few people about it, and I thought, well, if I'm going to work for this long and I switched to a it's more aggressive fund and the bank said, this is not the recommended profile for you. Would you like to proceed anyway? And I thought, oh god, it makes me tense.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, what the hell? But I was there anyone.
Speaker 2: It was just interesting that it's I had to resist that advice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But I think the other thing that I find interesting and frustrating about key we save it, and particularly some of the advice, particularly from the banks, is it's a lot more conservative than the international norms. Ok, there's a lot of key we save it for people here in New Zealand that will be given the advice or think, well, you're going to turn sixty five, so therefore you need to make sure you're ready to withdraw at sixty five, Whereas the truth is you're going to hopefully live till I mean, current life expectancy for women is about eighty seven eighty eight minutes about eighty five.
Speaker 4: It's only going to grow. You need your key, we.
Speaker 5: Save it last that whole way through. So therefore you need to keep invested the whole way through. It needs to be earning a return the whole way through. So our view is that actually, people that are able to withstand the volatility, you can keep it aggressive for a lot longer than probably some of the traditional thinking.
Speaker 2: We're going to dig into that because I was having a chat with someone on a different show about that about why are people not more aggressive for longer? And I think the consensus was probably we could consider that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's two parts to it, right, because when we consider what the right tolerance for risks or and by risk, basically we're saying should you be aggressive or conservative or somewhere in the middle.
Speaker 4: There are two things.
Speaker 5: Right, You've got time horizon, and then you've also got the ability to kind of how you're going to react when things go pear shaped, as we've kind of seen the l last couple of minutes.
Speaker 3: Just don't look.
Speaker 5: What all of the research shows is that actually, as you get older, you're with your ability to stand stress reducers, and so it's harder and harder to not lock. And as this money is becoming more and more important, So even though you might still have the time frame left because you want to keep it there till you're nineteen ninety five, the ability to deal with the stress of when it drops reduces. So it's kind of matching those two things on its way through.
Speaker 3: Right, Let's take some calls.
Speaker 2: Quite fascinated with the idea about how we perceive risk as well, But let's get into the calls.
Speaker 3: Colin, Hello, Colin.
Speaker 7: High Hi, I just wanting to know if you're already on a different key we saver. How you would change to crow Wealth.
Speaker 5: It's very simple. You'd visit our website and you can sign up online. It to a two minute process. All you need is your driver's license and your ID number. I would be kind of fair to say most qysa A providers it's a very simple process on their website. Now it's not hard and all the paperwork is done in the background by us and the IOD.
Speaker 3: Have you been thinking of changing column?
Speaker 7: No that I'm talking about my grandchildren, who I think they're just simply and I've been default one. So we'll talk to them.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, yeah, ig st help cheers Colin Pleasure. Actually, to be honest, I mean, the best thing is if you've got kids, if you're putting money into a fund, well that's the first smart choice you've made anyway, and you have a think about what fun they're and at some stage I guess, but the first decision is get them started.
Speaker 5: You've got to get them started. So for example, my kids, my kids, I've got three very young kids. They get twenty dollars each month that goes into their qvsaver and so identical.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there's quite a few parents are like I can handle twenty bucks.
Speaker 5: I can handle twenty bucks sixty bucks a week between the three of them and lot. By the time they get to kind of hopefully they buy a house in their late twenties early thirties, it's going to be a big balance. That's going to be a big chunk of their kisaver. And when you're saving. What we do know is that small regular country Utians Ada, And that's by far and away the easiest way to try and help people when you're kind of the grandparents. Now, the grandmother, much to my elder sons, discussed she'll just give a couple hundred bucks contribution to the key.
Speaker 4: We say a contribution, right, rather.
Speaker 2: Actually the power of compounding interest for pre twenty year olds over the course of your life forty to fifty years, that's a lot of money.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that's going to be the most valuable prison you can give you, your children and your grandchildren.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take some more calls. Sarah, Hello, Sarah, Hello, Hi use from here? Yeah, Hi, you're on here. What would you what would you like to ask or comment on?
Speaker 8: Oh no, it's just well when I write it from good in two thousand and eight, and ke we say we just started. So I was just introduced it by my bank. I joined it with my bank. I stayed there up until last year, and then I looked at the differences and I realized it wasn't really performing. So I did my Can I switch to Milford? My sixteen year old she just turned sixteen a few months ago, and I've just put her straight onto it as well, because compounding interested exactly as you say.
Speaker 2: Can I ask you when you say you did your homework, did you just look at the I mean for most lay people, they just look at the past performance and go with they've done well so far. Fingers crossed?
Speaker 3: What did you? What did you do?
Speaker 8: Yeah, essentially I did. I just I just went on a few different sites and exactly that I looked at I was with ASB, and I looked at my bank's performance and compared it. And I mean, I'm fifty now, so I started at thirty three, and I just looked at the where I would have been if I'd gone with a different, different provider.
Speaker 9: When did you switch moderate Growth?
Speaker 2: When did you switch about a year and a half ago?
Speaker 3: Are you happy with the decision?
Speaker 8: I am Obviously the markets have gone a little bit crazy, which is I mean, it's across the board, so it's really hard to sort of look back and say, well, how would that have benified? To stay with ASB. But yeah, generally I am. I think that I definitely have semial growth.
Speaker 4: I think it's look the short term.
Speaker 5: Look, they're competitive, but Melford's a great shot, and I think you'd be hard pressed to kind of to be disappointed with that decision. That The key though, is you've made your decision, You've chosen the right fund. Hopefully you've got some advice out of the Milford guys on the way through to make sure that you're in that right fund, and now you just leave it there. The kind of the grass is off and greener on the other side until you get there. But don't fear just because we've got volatile markets, just because things are going a bit funny things. That's not the fault of Melford. That's just what's happening in the world right now.
Speaker 2: Okay, good good on you, Sarah, Thank you for your call. How small a community or bigger community?
Speaker 3: Is it? The key?
Speaker 2: We serve a fund managers, So do you all know each other?
Speaker 5: Oh, yeah, most people know. If we haven't met, we know of each other and we'll recognize each other. We all go to the similar industry events as you've probably number.
Speaker 3: I've done one recently.
Speaker 2: But actually I was just wondering is there a sense of collegiality or is it collegiality but backed up with like competitiveness in terms of information shooing in conversations around markets and trends and you know.
Speaker 5: So, like I was at a conference on Friday. There were five Qisaber providers at that conference. We're all talking. We're all kind of talking about what we're doing. Look, some are better than others at sharing, some are. There are definitely a couple in the industry that our outlies. But we're extremely lucky. We've got a good industry that's growing. There's a lot there for everyone, and so we're very good at kind of making sure we work together because fundamentally, for us, it's the product that's the most important thing. We have to make sure Qwi's love and believe in and trust Kiwi Saber, that's what's going to be best for all us.
Speaker 2: Just before we go to the next caller, I've noticed that just from the point of view of doing a money show when we do different hours, that the energy around this particular hour has picked up. And do you notice that have you noticed that yourself in terms of the QIS industry, that there's more energy and people thinking about focusing on that aspect of their lives and looking ahead and a bit more just focused on a bit more than.
Speaker 3: We used to be.
Speaker 5: Oh, definitely the balance as a book, right, so the average balance is now kind of in that thirty five to forty thousand dollars. So for most people, keyy Saber is there. For most people also, they've they've kind of got to recognizing that key Saber is going to be an important part of their retirement of where they go in the future. And so it's changed a lot from where it was even five to ten years ago. We've seen the number of client people in default funds has materially reduced and it's definitely become a big thing. And I think it's really interesting. Right over the last three years, the government twice has tried to mess with keysaber when they got rid of or they cut the government contributions in half. Last week, it was really interesting how many people got very vocal against that and the big criticism. I don't think the national government would have expected as much criticism as got Two years before that, Grant Robertson tried to put tax GST on keyy Saber fees, and that we've.
Speaker 4: Got that was just that very loud.
Speaker 5: But it shows how much kiwis love it, and it shows that people have brought into this and we are moving away from our love.
Speaker 2: Of property right quite possibly at the moment especially all right, oh eight one hundred and eighty ten eighty, let's talk to Rob Hello, Hey.
Speaker 10: Hello Tim and and Rupert Rupert. The question I've got is that with regard to guarantees around savings, I believe that New Zealand has passed something through Parliament and it's now sitting with Reserve Bank. And although it's not very much, it's one hundred thousand compared to a two fifty. My question is does that also apply to Kiwi shaver or only shaving in a saving account.
Speaker 5: No, that's only going to be bank deposits held with a registered bank within yeah, with a registered bank, so QWI saver it's not guaranteed at all. So it's very very different that the one wrinkle, which I think people suspect is coming. Is it one hundred thousand dollars per account, which means that so lock if you've got a whole lot of money sitting in different if you've got more than one hundred thousand dollars, you've got four large Australian banks, I'd just be splitting it up and putting one hundred grand each to make sure you get your guarantee across each of them.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, good stuff, Rob, Thanks for your call.
Speaker 3: We'll be back in just a month.
Speaker 2: We've got some more calls lined it up, and if you'd like to join us eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. My guest is Robert Carlyon. He's founder of Cora Wealth. Ko, you are a easier to google.
Speaker 3: Them and find them. We'll be back in just a moment. News Talks.
Speaker 4: He'd be don't your own America?
Speaker 2: Won't you need it? American?
Speaker 4: Enough?
Speaker 7: Said time?
Speaker 9: Crazy?
Speaker 2: Are you going to do this?
Speaker 11: Just meet me at right News Talks.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is a smart money. My new guest, Robert, Robert Rupert. Sorry, Robert, I apologize. Rupert car Lyon, found of Coral Wealth, is with us and taking your calls, and if we've got time, I'm going to dig into how long. We'll just get Rupert's take on how long you should maybe consider being more aggressive for longer or when should you be start safe making your profile more safe for our attitude towards that will have dig into that a little bit unless you call me about it beforehand and jump in Richard, Hello.
Speaker 12: Good afternoon, briefer.
Speaker 7: Hi.
Speaker 12: When Kiwi Saver was started, I was in my late forties, I think, and I was a bit financially vulnerable. That I had a good job, so I went straight onto eight percent and after a bit of a dallying round with one fund, I moved into a growth active growth under focus growth with it was I haven't looked back, and I'm now into my retirement age. But I've kept working. And I've also said on aggressive fund because I do have some savings and you know, at least I took a bit of a hit. But I think you mentioned before that you thought New Zealanders. I don't know whether you meant in a policy sense or just New Zealand and the people are less aggressive. But you know, when I do stop working, I'll start taking money out. But I'll only take a fraction of out because I've got a pretty substantial some in there. Now it's nearly half a million. Now, I was pretty phenomenal. But what I've found really disturbing and want when I'm coming to my question is when I talk to some of my younger colleagues at work. Now, I don't know what the schools are doing to educate people about KI we Save It, but I don't think employers are doing near enough. And I suppose I've got to be careful, but I don't think there's just enough encouragement for people because a lot of them we're on the minimum amount of contribution. I said, well, what sort of family? And I said, I don't know, just when they put me on them, And do you you know, like I might be getting at a store as view, So I'm interested in your view.
Speaker 5: You're not, unfortunately, you are very much talking about the norm. So I'll give you one stat that's really scary, right, So fifty percent of employers in New Zealand offer what's called a total remuneration policy, yeah, which means that actually there is no incentive for those people to actually contribute to Q we Save. And so how total remuneration policy works is I say to you, I'm going to pay you fifty thousand dollars if you tick the box saying you want KEII Saber. That means that actually I'm one and a half. I'm going to pay you forty eight and a half thousand dollars and I'm going to put one and a half thousand dollars into KEII Saber. So actually, the problem we have in New Zealand is that employers haven't yet really got fully behind QII SAB. Employers also don't want to really get involved in these financial conversations because they kind of don't want to be responsible for recommending or being.
Speaker 4: Part of it right.
Speaker 5: And it's also hard when you're employer to have these conversations because many business owners in New Zealand they didn't.
Speaker 4: Grow up with KII Saber.
Speaker 5: They're a business owner, so they're not used to this kind of stuff. But it's a really, really big issue that employers aren't doing it. We tell we've got a program where we do reach out to and we work with a whole lot of businesses because fundamentally, my view is it's one of the biggest benefits that you can give your staff, make them financially literate, make them financially confident, and it costs you absolutely nothing.
Speaker 12: Yeah, thanks for raises the industry. Does the industry have a strategy to work with schools and with some employers to.
Speaker 5: Well, look, most providers will do stuff, but Eric Stanford has actually just launched the program with financial literacy and schools. But there's a lot of work that needs to be done here.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Actually, it's funny at different personality types with my daughters. Like there's one of my daughters who will make money because she's she's going to be more of a risk taker, I think. But the other one she squirrels it away. I mean, I don't think I could find it either. But there are certain personality types that are just instantly focused on saving and squirreling.
Speaker 5: It's a funny one. Some are some aren't right personally, I've never been a great saver. No, that's why kip save is great for me because it comes out of my paycheck. I never see it. It just happened my nine year old. Look, he's very good at it. My seven year old. It'll go the dairy the next day. Who knows how it drives but it just happens for some people.
Speaker 2: Actually, Richard's called coming earlier. You know, you could almost do have an interesting talkback conversation on this as to whether and this is a very hot take and I haven't thought about it much, so you know, forgive me whether there almost needs to be legislation that when negotiating a paypacket you're a negotia a remuneration that an employer cannot build in the key, we save a part of it, and that it's automatically aded on top.
Speaker 4: That was the legislation.
Speaker 5: Oh really, so back in two thousand and six when it got first born in with Cullen and Clark and that Labor government, that was the legislation. So therefore, if you're an employee, you negotiating package and that's always and even if you tell them you're not going to grab it, are you going to go call I'll take my fifty grand yep, yep, yep, don't worry, I won't take it the next day.
Speaker 4: Sorry, I want my keep.
Speaker 5: We savor now, so you know it makes the money. What happened then, So then in two thousand and nine the National government actually introduced the ability changed it so that you could go to total remuneration. With the changes that were announced with the budget, the industry, I think we kind of we knew we weren't going to get a huge amount. We knew that government contribution was going to get cut. That was the one thing that we were all hoping for, that total remuneration policies would go. Because if we really want to make it, if we want a turbo charge keyp we saber and we want to really force people to save, that's how you do.
Speaker 2: In fact, isn't that like Australia is more like fact we're same as Australia.
Speaker 4: We are now or it was Australia. It's all compulsory.
Speaker 5: Well sorry, it's not compulsory, not part of.
Speaker 2: Our package sort of thing's well, it's all added on top.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, right.
Speaker 2: In fact, I'll tell you what. We'll just take another break. We'll be back to John and just to take our eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. It's eleven minutes to six news talks. They'd be yes, Well, time flies when you're having fun. We're with Rupert Carly and founder of Currel Wealth. We have time for one very quick call. Hint, hint, to John.
Speaker 9: Hello, Yeah, my key saver is with the man next door to you. Oh, well done, and and yeah, I mean I can't emphasize if people have a little bit of risk tolerance and you don't steer at your keysaver, definitely enjoin it because it's got a bit of a bitcoin story to it. And just give you a rough idea. From September through to the last financial year, my big my keyv saver in total was up about forty Oh.
Speaker 4: Well, oh they've done a great job.
Speaker 3: Well done. Past performance.
Speaker 5: Well no, he's only got a little bit on bitcoin, so that'll be a common I'm guessing you've got our US equity fund on our bitcoin fun which have been two of the best QY saver funs.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Correct, have you ever existed?
Speaker 3: Good on your John?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You how long have you got to go? In KYI saver?
Speaker 9: I am super aggressive. I'm an ex poker player and I played online for you know, for some pretty decent money. But to give you an idea, I put fifty percent of my salary into my kiwisaver and my employer matches ten percent of that. So and then yeah, and then on top of that, I do because I've got two small companies. I do add quite a bit to my user, but then I've got a hatch.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just question, do you do the same hatch allocation to what you've done with Codder, you know, kind of more aggressive.
Speaker 9: I've gone for tearslim Ry Coast Reddy is a huge part of it, but I've also gone for Google, Microsoft, Amazon.
Speaker 3: Thanks John.
Speaker 2: Hey, We've got to leave it there because unfortunately we are coming towards the end of it. Actually, I guess the thing is a very quick question. But if you've got extramated to stick and key we Saver, would you stick it in key we Saver or why wouldn't you stick it into a fund where maybe.
Speaker 3: You can access it. I guess it's just whether you trust yourself.
Speaker 4: Look, it depends on you as a person.
Speaker 5: I firmly believe in the structures of kind of how we invest. So for me personally, what I do is I've got a keyy Saver, my wife's got a key Saber, but we do have other money sitting outside. But actually we've run exactly the same strategy outside of qv Saber as how I invest my kevsab because that's what I think works.
Speaker 4: And that just money.
Speaker 2: But the tool you mentioned about that that people go and check and see what where they should be and everything.
Speaker 3: How do they access that?
Speaker 5: So look, if they visit the codal wealth website dub dot cold or wealth kou r A W E A L T H dot cod NZ, if they click the get started, go through the guided choice And what that's going to do is take you through quite an extensive digital advice process which will give you a recommendation of what type of fund you should be in and you whether you use that with us or someone else, but it should give you confidence that you can make the right q we saber decision for yourself.
Speaker 3: Excellent.
Speaker 2: Any final thoughts before we before we we got about a minute to go, any final sort of observations.
Speaker 5: Or advice to people, broadly speaking, the best thing I'd say is is take charge. Look, this is going to be the largest investment that you are likely to ever have, so there for give it some time, give it some attention, do a bit of work, and make sure you're not just sitting somewhere because it was the easy option. There are lots of places to go, but first and foremost, figure out the right type of fun for you and then make sure you get yourself with the right provider, because as one of the callers that already pointed out, she would have missed out on a lot by taking a long time to make that decision.
Speaker 3: Good stuff. Great to meet you, Rupert. Thanks very much for coming in.
Speaker 2: You been good and go and check out Coralwealth dot co dot nz and we'll be back next week. We've got John Cameron for our health having Amanda Morele joins us with Smart Money, and we'll have a new guest for the one Roof radio show. Martin Cooper, who's managing director of Hardcourts, will be with us as well as.
Speaker 3: Simon Wilson's back with us for the panel.
Speaker 2: That'll be fun. Look forward to that one. Thanks my producer, Tire Roberts. Look forward to your company. Sunday at six is next. Enjoy your Sunday evening.
Speaker 3: We'll catch you soon.
Speaker 6: It's a little good news Hot Any need Isn't it something made me bad in the middle? Hot I Any Need?
Speaker 7: It is a little
Speaker 1: For more from the Weekend Collective, Listen live to news Talks it'd be weekends from three pm, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.