Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Sport podcast with Jason Fine from us Talks EDB.
Speaker 2: The only place for the big.
Speaker 1: Names, the big issues, the big controversies and the big conversations.
Speaker 2: It's all on Weekend Sports with Jason.
Speaker 1: Pine and the Uniq seven Dynamic Black Runout Edition on Youth Talks EDB, your home of sport.
Speaker 3: Hello there, Cure, good afternoon, a very good afternoon. Welcome in to Weekend Sport on News Talks EDB, August twenty third. I'm Jason Pine. The show is produced by Any McDonald. We're here till three. How good was that?
Speaker 2: All hard from.
Speaker 4: The yor Blacks? Are you an any down? Now that this team is back head world? Right be? They climb back to the top of the world.
Speaker 5: They climbed to one mill up in the greatest rivalry series and pride a massive s through the hearts of the spring Box spiritualone All Blacks Winners thirty three sixteen.
Speaker 3: One of the all time great All Blacks performances, particularly away from home, particularly in the second half. Five tries to one the All Blacks biggest ever win at Alice Park and a statement to start this highly anticipated series. All Blacks assistant coach Jason Ryan standing by the chat to us match commentator Elliott Smith after one. Plenty of post match reaction from inside the camp as well, but as always on the show, it is your feedback, your reaction that were after lines open immediately and all afternoon meantime. What's this I see? It's the NRL Ladder? What the warrior is at the top. After blitzing the rabbit Os forty five, twenty six and Sydney last night, head coach Andrew Webster on the show after two to break it down the sprint towards the finish line for top two spots is on. It's on and will cover off the Dutch grown pre Liam Lawson qualifying eighth for tomorrow morning's race in his return to the Red Bull team. Please join the show, especially if you haven't done it before. Want better day to become a first time caller. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighties at number send you text messages to nine two ninety two and emails to Jason at newstalksv dot Co dot NZ nine Past midday Here.
Speaker 1: One Matters in Sports Weekend Sports with Jason Vine and the Audi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout edition available at your local Audi dealership.
Speaker 6: News Talks env Savia takes it off the back Ardie Savia.
Speaker 4: Pops it up on the right world on it rightly, Horner. It's another for will and that might be enough. It might be enough for the All Blacks to win an hour's hot.
Speaker 3: Yes, certainly was All Blacks thirty three South Africa sixteen or Black's assistant coach Jason Ryan is with us on Weekend Sport Jace. Where does that sit among your most satisfying days with the All Blacks?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's up there.
Speaker 9: Look, any any one you love it, but any test one in South Africa, especially Alice Park you love it even more. And we were under a massive amount of pressure at set piece and how we made the adjustments we needed to and came back with a ship tone of care and a whole lot of effort and belief in our game I think was pretty special.
Speaker 3: Can you give us an insight into the adjustments that you made that made the difference?
Speaker 9: Well, I think at scrum time, you know, there was one there that we missed a hit a little bit. They're getting a hit on us and potentially went a little bit early on us. We also, you know, we got rewarded just after halftime for them stepping left. You know, the whole thing around world rugby is you've got a scrum square. So we got one there that we probably deserved, and probably in hindsight, Easling grew hurt his neck, the group hurt his knee pretty bad early on in the start of the Test match, and we probably should have looked to hook him a little bit earlier because that he was sort of firing on one leg. So you sort of put those couple of things together, probably as the reflection of the adjustice we made and what we talked about at halftime around showing really good pictures.
Speaker 3: And then in the second half early South Africa is still putting you under huge pressure. You hold, you hold, and then you get a scrum penalty of your own under your own horns. How big a moment was that, you know.
Speaker 9: That's what it was a big moment, and that was reward to the adjustments we made. And as I say, it was for them stepping left, which is you know that that that did swing the momentum. And then then we got into a mall and we got a more penalty and then it was like, okay, we've got to put a momentum here, and and we we sort of kept the we kept the pressure on them a little.
Speaker 8: Bit and you know, got some reward for it.
Speaker 9: But yeah, a lot, massive, massive if it from the boys coming on. And I think we were showed that we're pretty flitt at the moment too, So I think that's pretty positive.
Speaker 3: Is effective scrummaging more about technique or physical strength?
Speaker 8: Oh that's a great question.
Speaker 9: Look the spring box like they are a Brett packed and when they get it right, they are very very hard to stop with their mass and how big they are. Right, technically, we could have been a little bit better tonight, but as I said, I'm proud that the boys made the adjustments scrums and it's matched as similar to twelve rounds of boxing. We're not going to win every round and tonight we didn't win every round, but we probably won a couple of rounds that that mattered, I guess, and we got rewarded for it. And to say the adjustice we made it our time. So pretty proud of the boys there. We've still got work to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I guess to use the boxing analogy you've got the points victory well and truly, Jase, how much of a tactic is inducing fatigue in your opposition?
Speaker 9: Yeah, when you hold the ball and bald phases, you know, and you and we trust our skill set, like we we threw a whole lot of osloads that probably weren't even on that did stick because the boys have been optimistic about how they want to play, which is what rends U driven right from the start.
Speaker 8: And when you do that, the fatigue does kicking.
Speaker 9: And and we I believe we found another couple of years in that last twintery, you know, and put the pressure on them, and we should be pretty satisfied with that part of the game, and how the leaders have been doing a lot of good work with Gilbert and ocre and just adapting to the pressure and just enjoying that and understanding that it's so tough over here, you know, one v two in the world and at Alice Park, like you just got to enjoy this and we will.
Speaker 8: But there's work to do tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Fabian Holland hercule in eighty minutes charge down Try. I had to stay on because of course, Josh Lord departed earlier than you would have hoped. Not bad for a bloke who hasn't played much rugby recently.
Speaker 9: Fabian Holland, Yeah, he's done a lot of work and conditioning and you know it was a big arm. He went to the well tonight. He had to dig a pretty big hole and keep digging it. So pretty satisfied Harry got through his work. So we'll have to look after him this week. I mean we're not you know, we don't need to get any.
Speaker 10: Sutter or stronger.
Speaker 9: And still we've got to keep the boys fresh now and I think that'll be a big part of the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: The last time you played South Africa, Jace, you joined me the day after you took my call. You answered some pretty tough questions. Thirteen of the twenty three who played that night played again today. Was that forty three ten talked about at all or do you think it privately drove any individuals?
Speaker 11: It wasn't.
Speaker 9: It definitely wasn't talked about, but I guess you know, some of those things are always in. And then there's a couple of set piece moments and said we sit on the start of this call Ja slight. I was like, oh ship, here we go again type thing. But we, as I said, we made the adjustments. We showed a little bit more resilience under pressure, a little bit more composed and already made some really good decisions at key times.
Speaker 3: Does that at the end of the game, Does Alice Park ever get old? Looks amazing?
Speaker 9: Oh she's standing out here in the little now and yeah, you just got to enjoy got and I'm going to so. But we're not work to do with by no means satisflight and and but we will enjoy this.
Speaker 3: We well, you deserve to a lot of very happy keys early this morning watching that Jas. Thanks for taking the call mate, all the best as you move forward.
Speaker 8: No worries.
Speaker 9: I just say, I really appreciate that the support that we're I've had from home this week as this test match is built, and the support that we've had with the All Black supporters and the Yoners that are in the crowd today is not often you hear them that the All Black chanted his chant in Ellis Park, so.
Speaker 8: Pretty special.
Speaker 3: So thanks good man, good man, Jason, enjoy your evening, Jason, Ryan there out of Johannesburg, where the All Blacks have beaten South Africa thirty three points to sixteen. All right lines open on the All Blacks are starting to come and now jump on eight hundred and eighty ten eighty without doubt, one of the great All Blacks performances in recent times, the best I reckon since the last Rugby World Cup and probably the best since our went over Ireland in the twenty twenty three quarter final. Well worth the early alarm, resilience and grit and equal measure, a triumph of soaking up pressure, taking some hits and refusing to buck or let alone break. That fifteen minutes after halftime may well be one of the most significant periods of All Blacks rugby in this entire World Cup cycle, absorbing pressurewithstanding wave after wave of attack, and emerging unscathed. South Africa average five and a half points every time they entered the opposition twenty two in the last couple of years. Today it was point nine points. That is an absolute triumph of taking punches and staying in the fight. Couple of players, Fabian Holland immense Remember he didn't play any rugby at all between the twenty third of November and the twenty fourth of July, eight months out of the game with that shoulder injury eighty herculean minutes from him. Today on the Highvelt, Jordy Barrett fast becoming the All Black's most important player. Two massive pieces of defense to Deny, Malcolm Marx and Jasper Visa. He made fifteen tackles all up, that's more than anybody else on the field, and affected five turnovers again a game high. Jordy Barrett is now the rock upon which the All Blacks backline is built and the impact the All Blacks guy from their front row reserves also worth mentioning. George Bauer Fletcher Newell really influential off the bench today. When David Kirk announced a coaching change at the start of the year, he talked about trajectory. At that time it was a downward trajectory. Since Dave Rennie took over, it has been trending upwards and today it's spiked skywards. He has transformed this team since taking over and has them back on track for the World Cup next year. Seven wins from seven with obvious, intentional, noticeable crucial improvements in that time. Dave Rennie, by the way, has now coached internationally against South Africa five times and won four of them. Rugby Australia's decision to get rid of him in favor of Eddie Jones may well go down as one of the great fumbles in rugby history. Just a word on the ref Matthew Carley. Were quick to criticize the efforts up but he was excellent, remained calm and composed in that cauldron. Overalled the TMO twice. You love to see it. More of that. More of that please referees who trust their instincts. The respect that South African crowds show the Haker tells you an awful lot about them. Rasci Erasmus even took to social media ahead of the game and asked the nation's fans to stay silent during the harker, and they did while English and Australian fans try and drown it out with swing, low seat chariot and walsing Matilda. The silence around that magnificent arena during the Harker shows you why this rivalry is the greatest one. There is massive mutual respect between these two teams and their two sets of fans who love their rugby but can absolutely appreciate the greatness of the other. And the history that has led us to this point. Just before we go to the lines, I said yesterday we're about to find out how far apart the All Blacks and the spring Box are on that evident The answer is not very far apart at all. And yes there are work ons for the All Blacks. Fourteen penalties can say that that's too many. They still had a few problems under the high ball, and South Africa will come back with a vengeance in Cape Town. But for today, for right now, enjoy it because that display has most certainly pumped a fair degree of positivity into even the most pessimistic of All Blacks fans and given this team enormous belief that on any given day they can beat the spring Box.
Speaker 2: Weekends for it.
Speaker 3: Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty Brent, good afternoon.
Speaker 12: Good afternoon, mate. Yeah, everything you said perfect. I'm kind of shocked because I had any money on the other team, which I don't normally do, which was really annoying, but that's life. I put the Shield challenge the other day. It's pretty quick to see one day of rantly Shield Challenge and talk talk talk, and all of a sudden we have a great and everything's changed. He's talking about the shield. Yeah. I was really impressed with Sultine the referee, mate, is is what you said is bang on? That guy had everything sorted. I actually thought there was a chance there that Africa could have got back in the game. Is that Ardie Selvie when they went upstairs.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 12: And for that I thought, on my back, pocket's going to get falled again. We're right, And then it changed was just I didn't care, It's just life. But yeah, I was really impressed. It's a lot of guys that I talked to. You said, Oh those cheese followers are no good. I tell you every one of those cheers guys stood up to pire you mate, And so I feel very good about that side of it. Obviously my pocket but sad, but this life. Yeah, I thought the captain Savia man, he was a massive and Jacobson like he's in nil bleats but for a reason and yeah and yeah pops, but worry there. But I think, yeah, we we I see that we would one. I'll be real happy now. If we lose the rest of them, I'll still be happy. But this is a chance for them to go on and have a series wonder if they've got a you know, I mean, they just need one more test out of the next three, and I think they've got a pretty good chance of doing it, and if they do, it's a huge result and a big shot for me.
Speaker 3: Good on your bread, well, apart from the fact you didn't win any money, good to hear you that you are pleased about the outcome of the game and the performance from the All Blacks. I mean, you're reeled off a couple of names there, and it's one of those where you start to name players who stood out and then you end up going through the whole team because they were all very, very good for the most part. A lot of a lot of guys had really big games. Just on the Artista Vit call. He was asked about that afterwards when they went upstairs to check whether it was shoulder to head contact, and he admitted afterwards he said he said, I was worried because whenever it goes upstairs, you are worried. But then Dave Rennie jumped in and said it's obvious that it's shoulder to shoulder because the head went forward towards Ardie. If it had been shouldered ahead, the head would have whipped backwards away from Ardie. It is simple physics, simple physics. And did you hear that, Tmo? He was doing all I don't know it was. He was doing all he could to get Artie Zavia yellow carded. It felt to me, but good on Matthew Carley. I mean, he probably needed the police escort to get out of the place. But he made the right decision. That was not shouldered a head contact. It was shouldered to shoulder and as he hit his shoulder, his head goes forward towards Ardie and that's when it makes contact with the shoulder, of makes contact with Artie's shoulder because it was shouldered to shoulder. Absolutely bang on the right decision. Richard, Hi, mate, how are we doing? I'm doing well, Richard, I'm doing well. What's good you mate?
Speaker 13: Look what stood out to me was in contrast to when we had Old Razor there for the last three tests. Now we know what our game plan is, Robinson, we had no idea, but these guys got at Drillden and even under some real try and sucstances today they So that was really good. I was quite impressed with that, and it's a relief to see, where as David Kirk would say, on the right trajectory. Now, so I thought we were quite lucky in the game that they were missfiring badly in the first half, because I couldn't have honestly said they looked under pressure. They were just off their game, I think South Africa. But in the second half we said well, okay, if you're going to play badly, we'll put you to the sword, and we did so.
Speaker 3: I think they were the better side in the first half, so they forget I think they were the best. They certainly outstrommed us. We gave away some scrum penalties. That ten minutes before halftime, I think they were kind of coming for us and getting out of that was a thirteen twelve halftime deficit was actually a bit of a victory in itself. And then the ten minutes after the breakers I said before a pivotal So look, they were better than us, but we stayed in the field. Where As Jason Ryan said, you don't have to win every round.
Speaker 14: No, that's right.
Speaker 13: We were hanging in there by a fingernails and luckily they were strong enough to keep us in there. But I still think South Africa lost that by not converting anything in the first half, and they won't be as bad, I don't think next week, but I'm pretty sure the coaches will have that sewing up and buttoned up with a better performance. The only criticism I have with the All Blacks was that high ball was the strategy.
Speaker 15: Not to jump for it.
Speaker 13: What we were shocking, shocking on our own.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I just no, yeah, any criticism.
Speaker 3: No, well, I hear you, mate, And it's a work on, as they say, it's a work on. But yeah, and look, Cameroy guard kicked a lot from the base, didn't He clearly at tactic that didn't happen in the early test of the year France and Italy in particular. He didn't kick from the base often in those games. But today obviously they decided that. You know, if they're on their own twenty two, they'd clear they're very good in the air, aren't they? That they are very good in the air? VALLIMPSA is diffusing bombs like a like like a bomb diffuser. One of the guys gets paid to do that. He is incredible under the high ball. So that's a work on. It is a work on, And the thing about the series is that now these coaching teams have context. They'll now go to Cape Town. They'll review everything that happened in the eighty minutes today, and they'll set their stall out accordingly, number twelve to twenty six. Peter, hold there with you after this, speed Li there, if you want to jump aboard. Give us your thoughts on the All Blacks one hundred and eighty ten eighty.
Speaker 1: You call it how you see us on eight hundred and eighty ten eighty Weekend Sports with Jason Vine and the Audi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout Edition available at your local Audi dealership.
Speaker 2: News Talks head be.
Speaker 6: Roy got Assays's options from the floor, flins.
Speaker 5: It our right hand side and had to be Will Jordan gets the All Blacks on the board.
Speaker 4: He's fifty second a test.
Speaker 3: Level, unbelievably prolific. Will Jordan twelve thirty. I get a Jason Springbox have their bomb squad. Ama, Newell and Bauer are our mana squad. How good there's scrum turned the game? Good on your Devin and Jason. Don't forget Ruben Love's goalkicking. Fantastic again, says Tony. Yeah, it was very very good again wasn't he miss that? I think Will Jordan's tried the one we just heard there that was wide out. I think he missed that one but got the rest. It's a good point, Tony, Peter.
Speaker 7: High, Hey, how are you doing there?
Speaker 3: Very good? Thank you, Peter.
Speaker 7: Mike Adamson was tmos got as dude X inter national sevens player.
Speaker 17: I thought he would have had a better feel for the game, but hey, there you go.
Speaker 7: But what I think saw this morning was the rugby version of the the le ropodope.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I've seen that phrase use Peter by a couple of journalists and a couple of commentators. I mean, yeah, yeah, what do we do loull them into a false sense of security? Or they made them think they had us? I don't know.
Speaker 7: The books had us under pressure and every facet of the game in the first half except one, and that was a scoreboard. They weren't converting possession and position into points. And I think he had defensively Tanta Rumong and needs a big claud it because he obviously had the defensive structures working really really well. And then because they were putting the pressure on us, they're putting the pressure on themselves. And I think Hollyden's charged out earlier in the second half was just the catalyst.
Speaker 17: Really.
Speaker 7: It was just like, you know, hey, you know we've answered all your questions. Here are our questions. What's your response? And I just didn't have one.
Speaker 3: No, No, they didn't. And I saw it also mentioned and I'll ask Elliot Smith about this when I chated them after one. It feels as though, Peter, that if you match the spring Box physically, if you don't take a backward step, if you take some hits from them but give a couple back, they don't really have a heck of a lot else. That is probably understating things a little bit, because we know Tony Brown's a magnificent attack coach, but today it felt like that's all they had, the physicality and the robustness, and once we soaked that up, it was kind of our game in the second half.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they were trying to truly bully us off the pitch, and then you know that chargegown was the equivalent of giving the bully of blood nose and E didn't.
Speaker 18: Know what's after that.
Speaker 3: Love the analogies you're coming up with today, Peter, So how are you feeling about the series now. I mean, the fact of the matter is now that we'll go to Baltimore with the series alive, regardless of what happens in our favor. I mean, we might have won it by then, who knows. But how are you feeling about the series compared to this time yesterday?
Speaker 19: Much much better?
Speaker 7: I mean I must have going into the game, I had the same sort of feeling that we had in the that I had in the quarterfinal against Ireland in the last up, and by half time that feeling you hadn't gone away. But it's just it shows that we've we've got the careful, we've got the game plan, we've got the coaches. Well, you know, we've got the recipe. It's in the oven at the moment. How it turns out a.
Speaker 3: Pay of these analogies of yours, well, wonderful stuff, mate, What a way with words you have go back any time, And I love when you love it with somebody sort of users, you know, talking about kitchen terms, their recipes and such like. Good to hear from me, mate, O eighte hundred and eighty ten eighty is our number? How good was Fabian Holland and his try Jason incredible. Yeah, I mean he is. He is herculean, that guy Fabian Holland. Again, do you forget he hasn't played for eight months up until when did he have us came back that ramfully shield challenge or defense that Otago had against mid Canibury. He played forty minutes. That was it hadn't played since the end of year tour last year. Comes back from a shoulder injury, probably aerobically short of a gallop. But when Josh Lord went off, he knew he had to stay on. There was no real other option unless you moved someone like Simon Parker into the second row man. What a shift by Fabian Holland.
Speaker 20: Stuart Hi, oh hi Jason.
Speaker 8: Look.
Speaker 20: My first thing I'd say is I wouldn't want to be I have to do the role of a referee or touch judge or TMO in these situations. But what just occurred to me.
Speaker 15: Because I was just.
Speaker 20: Going to compliment the ref Matt Carling, and what happened was I listened to it live on your channel on the radio and last last night and earlier this morning. Sorry, and the ref was fantastic, Jay, And he you know, I don't I don't want to do a beat up on a difficult role these people have, but to sort of have the kind of calmness in that cauldron. And you know, he was respectful, but he I thought he rightly did check the tmo's decision. And the thing was, Jason, it was quite amazing on the radio because this could seem to hear what Matt Carling was saying, and he just showed composure, if I may say, even a bit of humor to try to relax the guys. But on both sides he said more than once he said, you know, come on, guys, that's on the occasion. I just think it was a slight shift. And uh, you know, because I like everyone and any any team that you support around the world, you know, we've got to protect how the heads and safe. But I'm always scared of a yellow or red card. And anyway, I don't want to ramble too much, but just to say, boy, I hope this more kind of.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 20: I think someone said that the rest customers instinct, but thank you for letting me express that.
Speaker 3: No good on you, Stuart. I totally agree. I've been nodding along as you've been chatting, and I too listened to the radio commentary, I sync it up with the television this morning, and and you would have heard Elliott and Gregor make that point. Matthew Carly had a very good game. He was exactly as you said, calm, composed, just took a moment to Breathe can you imagine how much of a quadron it must be in there? And with you know, ninety eight percent of that crowd supporting South Africa. And when he sees on the screen what appears to be a shouldered ahead, the ability just to take a breath, look at it, examine the facts and come up with the right decision. And that was just one example. I thought he had a terrific game and and added to the spectacle as well. Thanks you. I appreciate your call being good.
Speaker 21: Afternoon after Pony with is the will that is away?
Speaker 3: A will? Jordan?
Speaker 21: What do you record?
Speaker 22: Yeah?
Speaker 21: And it's and and it's funny because in joinery terms, a mule post is your most it's your main structural element to a seat of steers. And here we have Fletcher Newle just holding it up, just holding the whole thing up. These guys, you know, I like I like old mates and term the manor squad because yeah, yeah, I think Ready's turned around. And his answer was, we'll we'll, we'll give I'll give you a bomb squad. Just awesome.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 21: I was raised to be humble and and think, but no, let's let's just celebrate. And yeah, it's awesome to see. But I think the old spring Box were a bit like now, we've had a few games before they before they did to get things, you know, settled over there. And I think the spring Box, yeah, that might have just been like like you know, a dog that hasn't had a walk for a week while and then you take them for that walk and they've just got a bit too at the panicky, a bit too, a bit boisterous, and yeah going forward to you know, let's not be fools. We've got another three three more to go. But what's it now, the sixty sixty Ford forty three? Yeah, so keating to court. What are we can for sport in this country? The the Wahine. What a proud day man, Well, yeah.
Speaker 3: A proud day. And Dave ben Well said, mate Well said, yeah, it's it's a good day to be a fan of New Zealand sports teams, that's for sure. Good on your ben. Thanks indeed, trust the South Africans play in the spirit of true sportsmanship. That's the way we roll. Yeah, it wasn't a dirty game, was it at all. There was nothing in there that there was a bit of a push and shove under the post at one stage. But you can tell the respect that these two teams hold each other in and it's well being just said. You know, we meant to be humble. Yes, you can be humble, but celebrate victory. That's allowed. You're allowed to celebrate wins like this. Anthony, Hi, great mate, how very good mate.
Speaker 15: I made.
Speaker 23: Look I called you last week and last Saturday, and the one thing that you and I sort of agreed on is that the all Blacks can just have parity. It was the one thing we agree and much of you remember, but we said, I told you they have parity. I think they are in with a chance. And it's exactly what happened yesterday in National. Previous callers said that the fact that when they get sort of like resistance a little bit, that's all they have, you know, And so it was it was quite good to see that the or Blacks just man up and of course with a with a mana squad coming up. That was that was really good. You know, it's just that force meeting force, and I think he might have got a little bit of a shock. I guess they didn't expect.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I thought. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I remember our chat last week.
Speaker 22: I do.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, certainly is coming back to me. But you talk about parity, I thought South Africa boss the first half at half time, yeah, yeah, but but parity across eighty minutes and and waiting and absorbing and taking at the odd punch or two, and then when you've soaked it up bouncing back the other way. Absolutely, yeah, mate.
Speaker 23: So this is exactly what I was. And I told all my all my other rugby mates, even in the Republic. I told him, Look, if the Orbits get parody over there, over the whole game, it's going to be game on and you better be watching because those backs of the or Blacks are lethal me. And it's exactly what happened.
Speaker 3: The thing is, we all know, Anthony, we know, we all know that this ain't over. That's why. Yeah, And I know you know too, mate. You're probably too humble to say it, but you're I mean, having had that run out this morning. Uh and with a week to prepare for Cape Town. I mean it's going to be an entirely different kettle of fish next week.
Speaker 23: True, it's going to be a sort of a semi All Black home game, I would think with all the support the All Blacks have, but I think they will not reach on their laurels. I think they will definitely be upward because now they they know what they are up again. And I don't think the spring Boks can change within a week. I think the spring Boks are the spring Box, you know, this is how they play. I think the All Black's got a couple that I think they've got a little bit more in the katy that they can take out.
Speaker 3: Good on you, Anthony, Hey, good to chat, make callback anytime. Hopefully we can chat again during the series. Like I say, there's a series. That's a great thing about it. I mentioned this yesterday, not just one game. And now we have to look at something else, you know, during the Rugby Championship and now we play Argentina or Australia whatever it is. We go again next week and the week after and the week after that. We're twenty five percent of the way through and as Jason Ryan said, you don't have to win every round, and that applies to the series as well. You don't have to win every round. South Africa can still win the series three to one, and that is one possible outcome. I hope that doesn't happen, and I don't think it will. But this is a series that is the first round of a four match series, which makes it all the more intriguing for me. Eighteen away from one, Mark Dallas, hold there with you after that, after this spielin if you want to jump a ball, we'll talk rugby for a bit longer. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty.
Speaker 2: The scoreboard only tells half the story. Finally tells the rest.
Speaker 1: Weekend Sport with Jason Vine and the outi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout Edition Test Drive Today News talks env.
Speaker 6: Roy Garball left inside Barrett the skip past the two point five file on the left wing.
Speaker 4: Ben, Josh, Bobby, Josh Dorvey.
Speaker 3: Just for me to try a good try more be set up by two por Vai Piney. Everyone will talk about the front row swapping out and changing the game, but Ethan de Groot, quite possibly sacrificing his tour to play on and not force those coming on to have to play seventy at altitude will be the unspoken standout. Yeah, that's a very good point. Ethan de Group was not well at all going into the game. He spent most of the day before the game in bed, fronted up, as Dave Rennie puts it, barred up, and then had that nasty collision with Josh Lord. That was separate to all of that, of course, but the fact that he went on and stayed on, as this tech said, until that happened, meant that, you know, he could have come off of ten minutes. He was clearly not right. He was having trouble with his knee that was getting scrapped up, unless that was just a cover for the fact that he was really, really unwell. Regardless of all of that. Yeah, every minute he played was a minute one of those front row forwards off the bench didn't have to play at altitude. It's a very good point. Mark. Hi, Hey, yeah, I remember.
Speaker 17: It's a long time ago. It sort of snuck into the grand stand at Run Over two and anyway, it was getting towards the end of the game and the grand stand stood up and started clapping. I was going I was looking at the field wondering why, you know, someone coming off, But it was Dave Rennie coming down and walking through the crowd. And I don't think I've ever seen that anywhere before, you know, just the sort of admiration and the thanks for the coach and the way he takes everyone with him along the journey. And I think for the All Blacks, thank goodness that the decision was made, probably by David Cooks to make that change, you know, get rid of Razor and putting Dave Rennie. And I mean I didn't, I don't. I think it surprised everyone in the country when he did when he did that. But you know, given the start to this this series, it's it's the right.
Speaker 24: Call, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think there's any any doubt. I mean he's played seven matches or overseens seven matches and I've won them all. And as I say, across those seven matches, there's been been obvious improvement, you know, noticeable, important, significant improvement and development of the game plan. I think I've said it so often and probably to you Mark. You know, he's so clear when you hear him in media conferences. You listen to him and you say, I can understand that he doesn't. There's no word salad, there's no ambival sorry, ambiguity. And if that's what we see, then surely that clarity is also present inside the camp. He probably just says to these guys, Okay, here's what I need you to do, and they say, okay, we'll do that and it works.
Speaker 17: Oh yeah, And I think it's it's a little bit like that the worries. You know, everyone's playing better across the board, and I think, you know, for the most part, our stars stood up last night, you know, the Will Jordans and Jordie's, you know, Cam Royga just gets better and better. And you know, those three players have probably some of the best players that I've witnessed playing for the All Blacks, and they really are superstars and they do make a difference on the field. And I think the skill set right across the border is what South Africa or lacking. And I know they've sort of gone to this power game, and let's face it, they won the power game last night. But in my opinion, we won the skill game. Our little things we do and our skill set we're just better than theirs. And I think, you know, we can work on our scrum and perhaps our lineout wasn't so good in the second half. We can work on those things, but to change and get that skill set up to the level the All Blacks are playing at the moment. I think it's got a big challenge for Lassie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree, Mark, I agree, there's some thinking to do. But if we know Russi, we know that he will respond. He's a magnificent generation or rugby coach and armed now with eighty minutes of data from this test, you know that he's going to come out or his team is invigorate, it refreshed and with a different game plan. Next week they will be absolutely desperate not to lose in Cape Town and go to nil down. Wait for the reaction because it is coming. Ashiyahy Jason.
Speaker 18: I can't decide that the South Africans, whether their problem is a lack of match fitness or that they're playing so much Northern Hemisphere rugby nowadays since they left Super Rugby what five years ago, that when they come up against Southern Hemisphere sides now they're not Yeah, they're just not adjusting to the difference defensively. And the reason I say that is not just last night's performance, but against Argentina. For one of one spilled passed towards the end of that game, Argentina could have beaten them as well.
Speaker 3: Yep, they could have. They could well have. And you're right, and it's quite telling, isn't it. Ash that the games they played in July England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Hemisphere sides all comfortable wins, forty points on all of them, and all of a sudden, as you say, they come up against a team you know from the South that don't come you know, in terms of the style. They don't play Argentinian teams very often, and it's a different challenge. And look it's eighty minutes. And I look back to last year and I think, well, they seem to adapt okay after losing an Auckland when they got to Wellington. So I don't think we should took it to care. But it's a good point you make. It's a different style. You know, we say that we've perhaps lost something from not playing South African teams in Super rugby and look, maybe the you know, the flip side of that of that is that they're less familiar with us now as well.
Speaker 18: Yeah yeah, but as I say, it is only one test in and I'm still not sure which way it is. If it's just a lack of match fitness, and you know they'll get better obviously as the series goes on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, it's good to hear from you, mate, Thanks indeed.
Speaker 17: Tell us hi, Yeah, two points funy to use the boxing.
Speaker 25: And now after half time, after six rounds we were we were way behind on points. We should have been ten or fifteen points down, but that is used as a boxing analogy. It's the last few rounds that count, isn't it nine to twelve? And yet that when yeah, that's when we won the game. And I remember, finally there might be a long ago, but when I saw that the Hurricanes thrash the Chiefs in the separate final, I thought, if the All Backs can play like that, we can actually take out the box. And I think they showed that by choosing a lot of Hurricanes the next day in the All Backs blah blah and playing they played like the Hurricanes played that night, and I thought, yes, yes, you know.
Speaker 3: I thought yes as well, yes, great game.
Speaker 17: We'll never forget that game.
Speaker 3: I don't think we're supposed to either. You're supposed to hold onto games like that, Dallas and I will for a long time. Good to hear from you as always, mate. Seven and a half to one, News Talks.
Speaker 1: HEB when there's a line call, it's your call. Weekend Sport with Jason Fine News Talks.
Speaker 3: HEB coming at four to one. We'll open the lines again after one o'clock. Elliot Smith going to join us as well, our match commentator and rugby editor with his observations. A number of people have pointed out on text, including Paddy, they definitely miss see CALLISSI he'll add massively next week. Yeah, I don't know. It might have been one of those where if the game this morning had been a Rugby World Cup final, see Calisi might have played. They obviously decided not to play him, but now with three games to go, he is set to have a big influence. Luke said, I sat cuddled up with my three year old watching this morning. It was her first New Zealand verse South Africa test. I love the way we hung on in the first fifty odd minutes had shades of Wellington appairing, but the bench were awesome and Fabian flicked a switch when Josh Lord went off. There was a lot to like about it. Interesting to hear Jason Ryan say two that when South Africa started to get on top of them, he started to think, oh, here we go again, but making adjustments in real time. That is one major difference between the Shear's team and last year's News is Next the.
Speaker 1: Only place to discuss the biggest sports issues on on head off the field.
Speaker 4: You gotta saw en.
Speaker 1: It's all on Weekend Sport with Jason Fine and the udi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout edition on Youth Talks MB, your.
Speaker 2: Home of sport.
Speaker 3: Welcome back into the show. This is Weekend Sport on News TALKSB one O seven in an hour from now, joined by Andrew Webster. We haven't forgotten the Warriors? How can we forget the team at the top of the letter might only be for a few hours, but the fact remains there. They are want to talk Warriors. After two, Elliott Smith out of Johannesburg shortly more calls on the rugby. A couple of texts I didn't get to before, one which I'd like to read out. Finey geez what a game, says Gonna, especially the last twenty. To me, the All Blacks played well and played as a team. They've got a clear plan, trust in one another, and not panicking under pressure when the blow torch was applied, and it was certainly applied. I feel the Bock coach had a touch of arrogance by not introducing the bomb squad all at once instead of in dribs and drabs. He won't make that mistake twice simply in my eyes, he's gonna Renny out coach him my MVP. Though the referee stayed calm under pressure kept the game plowing, especially when challenged by the TMO. The weather is less than average outside, but it's a great day, good one. You're gonna hope you're staying warm and dry, Mateko Piney. I don't think anyone's mentioned our superb captain, says Trish. He earned the respect of the referee, didn't he. Did you notice the ref pat him on the back at the conclusion of the game when they shook hands. I haven't seen that before, Howling Gale here. It's good that everybody's adding their weather forecasts into their texts. Another true fantastic game. Jason, I happened to notice when the game finished. Our boys were so gracious, no high fives, pumps, just a huge proud moment among themselves, standing tall and proud. I'm sure they were all shattered. Job well done for daver Any. Thank you, Trish and BARRYE says Jason. I love that super Rugby can stand tall and say it's still producing class players, highly talented, tough players, not some second class competition like many South African and Northern Hemisphere people seem to think that it is without South Africa. And at very very good point, Barrie, thanks for all your texts. Nine two ninety two lines are open on eight hundred eighty ten eighty Shopping.
Speaker 4: For the box, get shot by the old blacks.
Speaker 5: Creak, gather through the line, fabbing harve time all blacks, hat back and hit the lean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's certainly what's the turning point in the second half, the charge down try for Fabian Holland, who was absolutely immense in this game. That was the voice, of course of our match commentator and rugby editor Elliot Smith, who joins us now from Johannesburg. You've caught a lot of all blacks rugby. Elliott, You've watched a lot of All Blacks rugby. Where does that sit among the All Blacks performances that you have witnessed live?
Speaker 4: I think it has to rate right up to there.
Speaker 6: I was here two years ago and the All Blacks led by ten points heading into the closing stages against the Spring Box Pliny, and they completely blew it. But this was a different game entirely from that. They went up by ten, they consolidated it, they scored a closing try to win it. But you know that doesn't really reflect the eighty minutes that preceded it. You know, the All Blacks were down for the count at one point. It was the heavyweight boxing bout and the All Blacks were severely down on points. But they got off the canvas and found a way for around the fifty five minute mark when they got a crucial penalty. I'm looking at patch of grass right now where they got the penalty, scrumb penalty just in front of their own sticks, went downfield and turned the game around from that point, and not only did they get the win, they managed to put the string Box on the back foot again. At scrum time one with two men to or two minute heads of fifteen thirteen late in the game. So as far as All Blacks wins go over the last few years, I think it has to be right up there, a statement win of sorts. I think Pinney too, to open up the series against the old foe, and look, they returned to number one in the world. That's probably going to go a little bit back and forth. That won't matter to the All Blacks. What will matter is the kind statement they made tonight at Alice Park when they're under the kiwash, found a way and claimed the victory over South Africa.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that said. Finding a way is the thing. We had Jason Ryan on the show earlier and he talked about the adjustments they made. They were under immense pressure. How important I know you've mentioned it there, but how important was that period early in the second half the All Blacks soaked up all that pressure and then got that scrum penalty under their own posts.
Speaker 6: Oh I thought it was immense. Yeah, this was, as I said before, without wanting to over use the boxing analogy, they were coppying jabs left, right and center and basically just waiting for the haymaker land from South Africa to send them down to the canvas permanently, and had they, the South Africans won a scrum penalty on that scrum with the All Blacks one the penalty in the end, it probably would have been yellow card for the All Blacks in South Africa probably would have scored from there. But the All Blacks finally get one, you know, from the South Africans, and they use it as a platform to get out of trouble and then get their way down the park and eventually score some points out of it. So I think you have to applaud the All Blacks for just staying in the fight. And you know, even when it looked like they were down and out, they managed to do so. So it showed an immense amount of hearts and I think that's what All Blacks fans, you know, obviously they'll take the result, but I think All Blacks fans can take a lot from this game going one, they found a way as we discussed before, but two, the immense heart from this team to not buckle under the pressure and get themselves in a position to win this Test match. I think it will go down as one of the All Blacks, you know, greatest wins of the last ten or so years, especially post the twenty fifteen Rugby World Cup. I know they've had some big ones along the way and some some tough losses too, But to drive you know, a statement and drive a stake through the heart of you know, the home of South African rugby, it doesn't get much better than that.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'd put this rune up there in terms of all Black victories. Have the all Blacks uncovered the blueprint now to beat the spring box if you do match them physically, if you show resilience, if you take the odd punch. They don't have a heck of a lot else. Well that's right.
Speaker 6: I mean, they scored one try today and that was the powerful Estahzen who was quality for them right throughout the park, and so is Jasper Visa. But those were the two best attacking options, their number eight and their replacement hybrid flanker slash midfielder.
Speaker 4: And they didn't show a lot else.
Speaker 6: Sasha Feinnberg and Gon Mizoula was a wonderful rugby player, but he looked limited, I thought out there today. Grant Williams, the half back, tried to spark a few things, but couldn't just keep going. Didn't see a lot out of their midfield and choosing I'll be apart from kicking goals was pretty quiet as well. So I think your Blacks have found a way. Just what they can do next week I think will be interesting. And how the spring Box approach it. Do they put Pollard in its end? Does that change the way they play? But on the basis of what were seeing tonight party, the All Blacks certainly have a blueprint that they can be proud of.
Speaker 3: On a day like this that it's hard to single out any individuals that was well and truly a team performance. All twenty three played their part, But were there All Blacks players out there in particular who caught your right today?
Speaker 6: Well, I think Fabigan Hollands had an immense game. And look, he probably didn't get as many steals in the line out and the line out was a bit ropey that the strum was incredibly ropey, But you know that big moment where he was able to charge down the kick he tried all night, finally got one the timing right on that and not only charged it down but stayed waiting for the bounce knew that had the presence of mind to know where the ball was going to be and scored a try from it. So I think that's he stood out. I thought, Will Jordan as ever, doesn't really have a bad game, does he a couple of tries to boot and I think once again, Jordy Barrett is just doing immense work to direct the back line. And I don't mean to take away from what Ruben Love is doing, and he's playing exceptionally well, but Jordy Barrett is playing some outstanding rugby just to take some pressure off what Ruben Love is doing in the infancy of him playing ten at test level. I think Geordie stood up again tonight, So those would be three that that stood out for me. But you know, apart from Ethan degrew To, we've heard was a bit under the weather, wasn't really well, left the Captain's run, you know, early yesterday, and was basically in bed for most of the night last night with illness. So look he got buckled by Wilco lower. But but apart from that, it's hard to think of an All Black that you know, didn't enhance their credentials tonight.
Speaker 3: And being there, I mean I'm very interested in the in the the way the mood changed among the South African fans. I'm sure they were. They were buoyant and confident and and and eating their chest on the way to the ground and probably in the first half as well. Did you sense the air coming out of that South African crowd on the second half?
Speaker 6: Oh, you could feel it. You could absolutely feel it. Pine It was like a balloon being popped and it was just slowly withering to a death at the end. And look that the fans began to leave, you know, five or so minutes and maybe a bit more before full time.
Speaker 3: That had enough.
Speaker 6: And I think they're really disappointed because as were touched on, you know, the spring Box had their noses in front for a long part of that game and then disintegrated over the last half hour as the All Blacks took control. And I thought it was pretty special as well, you know, both seems to the lap of honor. But there was a patch of All Blacks fans from All Blacks Tours or you know, one of the equivalents that were here, made a lot of noise through the game, and the All blacksman over to you know, appreciate what they brought to the occasion today. So I thought that was a nice touch. And you know, the All Blacks fans that have traveled here, you know halfway across the world, we'll be leaving with smiles on their face, and you know they'll take those smiles. They'll be beaming all the way through to Cape Town when they land there. Ladder in the week.
Speaker 3: Money we'll spend for sure for those those hardy supporters. Great call, Elliott, thanks indeed for joining us, mate, just before you go, I guess and between Tests one and two there's the game against the Lions. How will the approach be from the All Blacks to that one?
Speaker 6: Well, don't for any said at the media conference that some players will have to back up and that's the nature of the numbers that they've got on the deck. But we know that Ethan de Group won't be there on Tuesday, we know josh Alall won't be there on Tuesday, and both highly unlikely to play a role next Saturday as well. Dave Rinie said they'd have to wait and see how the hia's went down sideline and all those checks sort of things. So I wouldn't suspect they'll be back, but they're going to have to piece together a team pretty quickly. As it stands, it's going to be named about four o'clock tomorrow afternoon local time. It's two am New Zealand. So they'll get back to the hotel tonight, they'll contemplate what they do and then some players that have put in big shifts tonight will have to come out and do it all again again at Alice Park against the Lines on Tuesday night, our time.
Speaker 3: Fantastic, great work, Elliott, Thanks for joining us on Weekend Sport this afternoon. Jef Funny, Thank you mate. That's Elliott Smith. Of course you'll know the voice our match commentator, rugby editor. Another superb call by him. Your call now one to eighteen. We'll keep talking rugby for a bit James mcconey before two, going to pivot away to the Warriors after two, when Andrew Webster joins us. But if you couldn't get through before one and you'd like to have yoursel on the All Blacks, please do so. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty All opinions are welcome on this show. Jazz on email, Jason. Fantastic gamer Rugby. The All Blacks showed a resilience I haven't seen since the early days of Steve Henson's glory days as coach. We also saw clear evidence of the team adapting and changing the game plan and saying that I do think we caught a clunky box team blowing out some early season cobwebs. Jazz goes on to say credit to Matthew Carley for trying to he let the game flow. His communication was clear. He seemed to make calls evenly between the two teams, even with the TMO and touches trying the best to intervene with incorrect calls. Love seeing a ref over all the TOMO, but use him when it was required. Bring on the rest of the series. It is going to be a cracker. Thanks Jazz, great email, great points well made, just on the replacement players that have come in. If you hadn't caught up with this offer, took the Fussy and Jamie Hannah hopping on a plane today they are over in South Africa as injury cover for Ethan de Groot and Josh Lord. You would have seen those two players exit late in the first half after a head clash between the two of them, so Offer took on the fussy and Jamie Hannah, a very experienced prop forward and a rather inexperienced Lockford jumping on a plane to go over and join the party in South Africa today. They should be there Monday morning. I doubt they'll be available for Tuesday, but good to have them there as injury cover.
Speaker 24: Hello Mark Jay Piney. Well, no one died, but someone nearly got cut in half of a few people nearly did. In the first one hundred and twenty seconds, there was the most ferocious opening to a rugby dismatch I've seen in a very very long time. I was apprehensive for life and limb and limbs especially that they withstood that. The oldest slaught was just unbelievable. And look, I think the men stood up. They stood up in the face of it. Was just the physicality of that fifty That opening fifty five was something the likes of which will be written about and spoken about for probably a really long time and reference rightfully so. But they came through. And the two names that stand out for me outside of our eighty, outside of our eleven guys we cycled through through through the back was Jordy Barrett was tot was towering, but Quinti Pier made some sublime little moments when he needed to do his job, and he did his job absolutely on point in that fifty twenty kick. Basically they secured the game to get us down the air and wind out the clock was to me, he was just oh yeh gem after all that pressure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I felt the same yeah as the balls bouncing towards the line. I was going, come on, you can think that Quintu Pie You don't really you don't really think of him as a You don't think of his kicking game. When you think of Quintu Paie, you think of that robust defense, you know, his ability to bend and break a line. You don't normally think about his kicking game. I think because the camera went on him afterwards that I think he almost surprised himself a little bit as well.
Speaker 26: Well.
Speaker 24: He found the space and took it to the right hand side of his body to keep it away, but the oncoming you know, I had the ability to spread his body wide to shut down the angle that he had, and he got it through that sort of small pocket that he was going to get, got it low and it did everything it needed to do, but across the paddic look, the defensive screen that the All Blacks ran when the spring box came into our heart was risky as all. The fact that we did not let our smaller men anywherey of the middle. You see McKenzie out on one wing and there's Love on the other, and they were they were told, I should imagine you are not to be within twenty yards of any forward because they just would have been run over. They just absolutely physically would have been you know, they would have been a whekplink in the chain. It was risky to keep them out the back as wide as we did because we didn't really run a fullback, but we did it. We pulled it off and one Neil, let's go.
Speaker 3: Let's go make let's go mate. Indeed, obviously I tend to take notes as I watching a game just so I remember stuff, and I've got written down here. Well, the first line I've got here is Hakka silence. And then once the game started early All Blacks eras South Africa very physical, That's how it felt in the first two or three minutes of the game. And then they got a penalty and went three in nol Up. They came out firing, they did, and I'm not sure that the All Blacks were caught on the hop necessarily, but it was just so brutal the way South Africa started the game. But to give the All Blacks immense credit, they adjusted quickly and then Will Jordan scored the try and they went ahead. There's Richie over there, asks for Roscoe. Yep, Richie Molong is there and will no doubt play on Tuesday. Be interesting to see how Richie goes back in the black jersey. Not going to make the Test side next week. I think apart from injury and force changes, there won't be any changes to the Test side for next week. Why would you change that team? But yes, Richie is there and he'll be in a black jersey on Wednesday morning when the All Blacks take on the Lions. They're still in Johannesburg. Nate, Hello mate, Hey Nate here, How are you very good? Thanks?
Speaker 4: Nate?
Speaker 3: Did you enjoy that?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 16: Absolutely love that. My son and I we go up and watched it at three am prior to the to the match. We've got a bit of a of a sports family chat and so oh oh oh they felt that the the Springboks starting sifting was better than your backs. I said, well, that may be, I said, but I feel that we've got the better bench. And that was absolutely the case, audn't it.
Speaker 3: You bang on, You know, you've you've absolutely nailed where the you know, where the strength of the All Blacks was this morning. You look at what Bower and Null in particular Nate did off the bench and the impact that they had.
Speaker 16: You know, as soon as they came on, the issues that we're having with the scrums had just disappeared.
Speaker 3: Yeah, actually, yeah, yeah, no, it's a good point, Nate. It's a good point. I think I don't think Ethan de Greet was right.
Speaker 7: You know that he was.
Speaker 3: He was unwell and I think he'd done his knee. He wasn't right, and I mean lone backs. It was interesting because he's normally a very good scrummager and but I think it was mainly the pressure going on Ethan to Groot's site. Not that I'm a scrum doctor, of course, but you're right when nule And and Bauer turned up and a suffer more things really solidified in that front row.
Speaker 16: Oh absolutely. And one thing that Holland's first try. What a way to score your first try, right.
Speaker 3: The charge down he must have. It must feel so good when you come through and you charge it down and then you see because it can go anywhere, can't it? And then you see it bounce up and you think, man, I can get that and dotting down. There was a turning point. There was the turning point. Did what was the score when he when he got that got that charge down? That was when the All Blacks went ahead nineteen sixteen. It was the turning point of the game. Glad you enjoyed it. Nate, go back anytime, mate. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty our number a shaiyay.
Speaker 14: Bunny, very quick things, the size, intimidation and in chensely of the box it saved. But I do think the way we buy it seem because if you look at the physical bulk of guys in the midfield and across.
Speaker 27: The across the park, you know, ox.
Speaker 14: Inside, massive men. And we played a quick game as beast as we could, tired them and the guy who really stood out for me, Jordy Barrett, his tack playing through the center of midfield. Time and again it was some against some Lonster and he took him down even the time. It was ridiculously good defense of display.
Speaker 3: And as they say, sorry, he was good any he was good anyway. Jordy was a good player before he went to Ireland for that, for that sabbatical with Leinster. I think he has come back just to I mean, he's just a brilliant player now, Jordy Barrett on both sides of the ball, but defensively, as you say, I mean he made more tackles in that game than anybody else. Fifteen tackles he made, and some of them were very important ones. He stopped that tray on the line from Malcolm Marx. He held up Visa a couple of times. He is such an important cog in the All Blacks machine now, Jordi's.
Speaker 14: That helped stop the bogs on and then put us on that foot that might have been.
Speaker 3: Yep, bang on Ash. Your phone is just starting to fail, youre mate, but we got your points. Thanks for calling in one twenty seven oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. He still got a few more minutes heaps of text to get through. I can get to some of those, but if you want to make a final point or two about the All Blacks from here. As I say they go to Johannesburg, they're already in Johannesburg. They don't have to go anywhere. I pretend they even stay in the same hotel. So they play the Lions Wednesday morning, New Zealand time, and then it's to Cape Town next Sunday for the third Test, and then back up to Johannesburg, but to Soccer City that's the stadium at Soweto that was built for the Football World Cup in twenty ten. That's the third Test, and then across to Baltimore. One of the great things about the series is exactly that that it's a serien. The narrative of this series is going to be built over four matches, not just one great game this morning and brilliant discussion about it. But it forms part of what will become an ongoing narrative. Can you imagine Cape Town next Sunday? Can you possibly conceive how desperate South Africa are going to be biggest test match for Rassi Erasmus in a long long time, a long long time. One twenty eight back in a second weekend sport.
Speaker 1: From grassroots to the grand Stand Weekend Sport with Jason Vine and the audi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout edition from one thirty ninety or eight hundred eighty News Talks.
Speaker 4: And B four meters short, all backs one and quick for right. God, lo't take it, sad over try, We'll take it. Since first Test Ryan five years.
Speaker 3: First Test try in five years. Luke Jacobson, he's made that number seven jersey his own, hasn't he. I've said a few times on the show if we'd all sort of had a poll during Super Rugby as to what the all black side might look like, and if I'd said, here, okay, you tell me who was going to play in the number seven jersey in all three matches in July in the Nation's Championship and will start in Johannesburg against South Africa in the First Test as well, I would say that very few of you would have said Luke Jacobson. But you have to give it to Dave Rennie and to Luke Jacobson. He has been terrific, really really good, hasn't he? A very different number seven from some of the players who have worn that jersey in recent times, but absolutely understands clearly Dave Rennie's requirements and has repaid the faith fletchernel off the bench and a big part of the way that the All Blacks problems solved in terms of getting their scrum right. Pleach and you all spoke to the to the KEYWI media after the game and he was asked about how the scrum turned things around, particularly after halftime.
Speaker 28: Yeah, like you said, I think it was a night of solutions. Really proud on how we were able to problem solve out there. We know our scrum wasn't at its best one hundred percent of that game, but yeah, really proud of the boys that came on. They were problem solved in some really high pressure moments. And Yeah, to really rely on our scrum in that last fifteen minutes was really refelling.
Speaker 29: The period in the mid fifteen minutes mark when they took all those scrums and won all those pedal reason keep there yet, I mean, what did that take to survive that unscanned that.
Speaker 28: I think it took a lot of a trust that we've built over the last well this year so far on the few games we've had, probably showed the connection of the group to come out of those high pressure moments, and yeah, a lot of buying from the pack that we've been working on over the last couple of weeks. Obviously we know the challenge scrum time that the spring Box bring and like I said, we didn't get it right one hundred percent of the time, but really happy with how the buy in has been. It's about to execute in those high prision moments.
Speaker 8: Where did technical adjustments or was it all just dictate stuff?
Speaker 28: That is definitely technical adjustments, but yeah, it was a bit of dig deep stuff. Yeah, I think we're spoken a lot around our set piece and where we want to get it to.
Speaker 8: It was awesome to test it against the world's best tonight, but.
Speaker 28: We know that we've got to be a lot better and what's going to come next week is going to be.
Speaker 8: Even even more so.
Speaker 30: Yeah, clature, that's gorun fifty five minutes when the when the penalty is going to be remembered in history is the turning point and that gain did you did you feel that at the time when you won the penalty, did you sense up was going to be the moment to change the momentum?
Speaker 8: I think at the moment where it's quite hard.
Speaker 28: To know what's a big moment or what's not. But it gave us a lot of energy. We were pretty under it out there at that stage. Leagues were gone. But we're really proud that moments like that was able to give us energy to take into other areas of our game.
Speaker 8: The back's got a lot of energy from it.
Speaker 22: Gave them.
Speaker 28: Trust in our set piece to be able to call those scrums in the last moments of the game. So but like I said, this sundy bigger coming next week to spring Bok Pack and we're really proud of it. But we know we've got to be a lot better because I wasn't up.
Speaker 3: To standard for better that game is Fletcher Nell, speaking to the New Zealand media after the game. I've just got three texts here which all basically say the same thing from three different people. Jason take note. Changing took p or Viti to lock at the same time as the new front row stabilized them great wind, says David Scrumb. Also improved when moved to locks. There's this one. Don't forget about the change at lock and blindside flankap in respect of the scrum improvement, says Michael Basically at the same time as the prop change. It's an interesting point. They clearly like Tupaul vi Ey in that six jersey, and when Josh Lord had to go off today that was obviously earlier than they would have made the change. But the tactic or the strategy or whatever you want to call it, is probably two Paul Viti starts at six and then in the second half, as circumstances dictate, he moves into the second row with one of the locks going off, and certainly that's the strategy because there's no lock cover on the bench. What that does do is it means that one or two of Viy and the two locks have to play eighty minutes. And when Laud went off, Fabian Holland knew it to play eighty minutes, and I'm sure that he relished it. It looked like he did, didn't it. A few more texts to get through here. As we come towards the end of our all black chat for today, Jason my player of the match, no bias, says Tony was Jordi Barrett Ain's fan. Tony Aiden says, I'm proud of that performance and Wellington we were lost and gave up against the mass and the might of South Africa this morning. We absorbed and adapted, showed resilience and intelligence and outlasted them. I'm excited to test too, as it's easier for the All Blacks to add accuracy to our emerging game plan then force South Africa to add fitness to their bulk. Thanks Aidan Piney sensational. What a day to be a key we, says Jes Up the Wise, the Abs and the Black Ferns Man. The ab soaked up some pressure today and took their chances when they came. Fabian Holland my man of the match, Thanks Jesse. Jason. Even chat GPT got the score massively wrong, says Tony. I have faith in humanity again, and all respect to Rennie and the squad over in South Africa. How good were a Sapfua Moor and George Bauer. No need to overanalyze this when apart from mentioning Rennie's superpower in dismantling South African sides from super rugby to their national team. Let's sign them along to to the next World Cup after this one, Thanks Tony. Vicky, says Jason. Just watching Bill Blacks replay now, so I'm not listening. Sorry, but I wanted to give a mess of shout out to the referee. How refreshing that he backed his own decisions, wasn't swayed by the var never a high tackle from Artie. Well done that common sense prevailed. Couldn't agree more. Vicky couldn't agree more. Damien McKenzie spoke to the New Zealand media afterwards as well.
Speaker 6: Damien, I center call a couple of years ago he came here and blew a ten point leads. What does it mean to to come away with a victory at Alis Park?
Speaker 22: Yeah, it's very rewarding. You know, we've been planning for this tour for a long time. In this first test, obviously it Verehria leading the way world's best at the moment, so to come away with a great one is extremely satisfying. So we're extremely proud of that effort. We know it's just to start for us, so we need to take out of it. But right now we have to enjoy the windows.
Speaker 16: What did it take?
Speaker 6: It felt like maybe you're out for the counter, but you just kept withstanding those punchers.
Speaker 22: Yeah, wee a lot of punches in that first half and to go down losing by one point after the first half.
Speaker 3: It was pretty good.
Speaker 22: To be fair, they threw a lot at us, and now we knew the challenge that they they posed against us, and they threw everything at us. And to be able to, yeah, be one point down at the half was pretty good for us. And then when you when we get our opportunities and we got a few of those in the second half which been able to an hour a couple a couple of those were great and to put ourselves with a decent lead there was satisfying.
Speaker 6: Made a great breakdown field. Did you begin to think you were finding gaps as a team around the park?
Speaker 22: Yeah, have an outstanding kicking game, and they put us under a bit appreciator tonight and then a couple of times we were able to defuse that. We sort of were able to create a couple opportunities and sneak through a few holes and he was able to It was nice to be able to just ride that momentum and try and stay on top. And especially against the FAW, you give them any snaff for an inch, they'll take it. So yeah, very pleasing. How we came out in that second half and round play a bit more rugby.
Speaker 29: Darmian, it's not your area of expertise, but what did you How proud were you of I guess of the guys in the scrum and to think of the pressure they are under and the constant pressure and then they found a way out right, I mean, how amazing to watch that from deeper.
Speaker 22: Yeah, it's great to watch. I don't know too much of the technical stuff about the scrums, but obviously to ACA, I've got an outstanding set piece and for our boys and our bench to come on and really locked down the scrum and and our line out time was Oh, it's always pleasing as a as a back to be able to see that and have tsair penalty advantage or a free play at it.
Speaker 2: And obviously South.
Speaker 22: Africa pride themselves on this set piece. To be able to match them tonight and get some reward deal was extremely pleasing from a backsported you anyway, how big.
Speaker 8: To draw first blood in this series.
Speaker 22: And you play from in front as it were, Oh, it's it's extremely satisfying. But we obviously now it's it's three more tests, so we've got to keep our feet firmly on the ground. Obviously, test rugby is not easy and to win over here ours parks as as no mean feat. So first of all we have to obviously enjoy that, but we have to move on pretty quickly. We've got another game on Tuesday against the Lines and then the Test down in Cape Town, and so we've got two got a team to just sit back and I'll throw everything at us next week. So yeah, we'll enjoy tonight, but obviously really important we've got to move on pretty quickly and I'll.
Speaker 2: Get around the boys playing on Tuesday and in the next test.
Speaker 30: I'm don't want to get too bogged down and the technicalities, but the high ball battle, they started to retrieve almost everything that we're putting up for a period there.
Speaker 3: What do you think was happening at that point.
Speaker 22: Yeah, they've got a great kicking game and we probably didn't diffuse as many as we would have liked. I guess now with a lot of the time ball getting bettered around, it's about jumping on the scraps as quickly as possible. We probably well, times we're okay, and then times we probably need to improve a little bit in the following up in the series, but it's obviously a real strength of these They got guys who are great in the air, and.
Speaker 2: We'll have a look at it and try and improve on it throughout the next week.
Speaker 3: There you go. Damien mckein's with his thoughts with the New Zealand media after the game. Don't forget, Patty says, don't forget the Magpies. Boney Love on the show. On the slow drive back to Hawks Bay post Beervanner beer Vanna. Yes, a lot of a lot of beer enthusiasts shall we call them? And Wellington across the weekend for Beavanner at Henry Stadium. Drive safe, Patty, I presume you're not actually driving them, mate, if you're texting, so good to hear from you. And I won't forget the Magpies. I thought, Yeah, what are they fall from?
Speaker 7: Four?
Speaker 3: Four bonus point ones and the n PC. I've been been reminded, been reminded by a few people. Piney hardly mentioned we scored five tries at Ellis Park. They got one. That is actually has been overlooked a little bit, hasn't it. The fact that it's our highest ever score at Ellis Park and five tries to one. Yeah, there's a lot to like, a lot to like. Thank you for all of your calls and correspondence on the All Blacks Test two Cape Town Sunday morning. Of course the game against the Lions Wednesday morning. We'll take a break, come back and James mcconey will join us in a regular Sunday slot.
Speaker 1: The Biggest Names in Sports talk to Peney Weekend Sports with Jason Vine and the audi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout Edition includes thirty thousand dollars of premium month grades, youth talks and me.
Speaker 3: Well, that blug just said, the biggest names in sport talk to me, and here's one here, James mcconey, Hello mate, welcome home.
Speaker 27: Oh thanks poney, You're great to be home. Dave Dobbin didn't get out and sing to me, but it's pretty nice being about being back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, welcome back, welcome back. I would have come and greeted you with great emotion had I known the arrival time of your flight. But it's good to have you on the radio. Anyway. What did you think about the All Blacks this morning?
Speaker 21: Mate?
Speaker 3: You would have enjoyed that.
Speaker 22: Ah.
Speaker 10: What a game, what a game?
Speaker 11: What a game? What a many good game?
Speaker 27: Maddy madey good?
Speaker 25: Wow?
Speaker 27: Yeah, that's son Pepper there. I actually think it was outstanding, and for many reasons, including the fact that test have always been about key moments and standing up and winning those moments, and that's exactly what the All Blacks did. Because the spring box, they'll feel like they blew it.
Speaker 3: I totally agree. I think they had more than enough dominance in the first forty minutes, probably the first fifty minutes. They you know, we've been using the boxing analogy all afternoon, but you know, they were ahead on points. They were throwing punches left, right and center. All Blacks absorbed them and then and then sort of eased away. So yeah, I think sat never will probably look at it as an opportunity miss for sure, totally, And I.
Speaker 27: Mean Rassi didn't see many variations. They had bombs and more bombs and big bodies running straight into the teeth of the All Blacks defense, which, apart from Jasper Visa getting through a couple of times, I thought the All Blacks handled really well. I couldn't see Tony Brown's influence as he listening to Tony you know, where was that sort of the innovation? I guess I saw Chess and Colby put in a crazy sidestep in the first half where the first offended didn't get a hand on him. But I can't remember him getting the ball for the rest of the game, So I mean that's on them. But let's talk about I'm sure, as I've heard on your show, the plaudits the flowers to the front row bench of the All Blacks. How good were they?
Speaker 3: Yep, so good? George Bauer, Fletcher yule Esop more. Yeah, terrific game changing And a lot of people pointed out as well that it also had the necessitated the change with Toulv coming back into the second row. I know they like him at six, but he's a tremendous lock forward as well, isn't he Toulve?
Speaker 13: He is?
Speaker 27: I mean, look, I do like that the Bauer al Mua Newle combo. You know, the irresistible force against the immovable objects, both of all similar heights and with they just stood up big time. And you know, the turnaround in the front of the front row of the scrum was significant. But how about our other sort of engine room, the Jordi Barrett, Quinty Pyre and midfield in particular Jordy Barrett five ts in the game. And also the hand of Jordy, or as I call it, the hand of Jorde slaping the ball away from Malcolm Marx. That was pivotal too.
Speaker 3: It was it was a lot of really key moments that Jordy Barrett seems to find himself in the middle of. So yeah, a lot of plaudits for for a lot of a lot of players. Hey did you go to the the Auckland one A first fifteen final yesterday?
Speaker 27: Yes? I did, Pony. I went and saw west Slap play Rose Mindy. What a game that was absolute Yeah, yah, ding dong of a battle twenty six all at halftime, finished up forty five forty three. But I mean, I don't think it was there was loose defense. It was just incredible attack and just strong world kind of like belief rarely, so you know, they played with the enterprise. It was really cool. West Slape got up in the end. Jeff Wilson's son, Harper Wilson, He's got himself a title. But there was there's a real star player in there called Matt Fleming who plays at center for Westlake. Remember the name, as I often say on the show, Piney, Matt Fleming he's been chased by the NRL by New Zealand Seven's by whoever plays contact sport. And then there's a few players from Rosmoney as well, so I think we'll probably see in the pro ranks. But a really good atmosphere at North Harbor Stadium.
Speaker 3: Loved it, good stuff. Is he any relation to Steven Fleming?
Speaker 27: Well, he's dashing, but in a different way. You Yeah, he can run. I don't know if he is. Actually, I'm not sure I've gone through the whole Fleming lineage. But it's a good question, Piney, and I'm sorry I haven't got an answer for you.
Speaker 4: It was a tear.
Speaker 3: It was a tear. I will throw you under the bus question.
Speaker 4: How would how would you know?
Speaker 3: How would you know if a guy with a pretty common surname is related to another guy with the same surname exactly?
Speaker 27: Yeah, that's fine, I'll wear it. But yeah, it was. It was really good. I think there's some pretty cool Schoolboy finals happening at the moment, So you know, if you like your grassroots rugby, I think it's fantastic. I look at the pace and the skill in the game. It's just it's the game's in pretty good health when you look at these first fifteens play.
Speaker 3: And to tell you what the women's gamers too, because I watched that O'Reilly Cup game yesterday between our Black Ferns in Australia and Australia. Had been making all sorts of noises during the week that this was going to be the game. They turned up and fronted up and turned the tables.
Speaker 15: No chance.
Speaker 3: Were we just monstered them, didn't we?
Speaker 27: Yeah, we did, and we did it with several teenagers playing, including Anti Satici Wallaceti's younger sister coming off the bench and scoring a try. She's a lock loose forward, so look out for her. There were obviously Braxton, Sorens and McGee. She's come from sevens and now she's still only nineteen, kicking goals for the team, scoring tries. But the one thing I did want to focus on was he demand. I think we're seeing one of the great leaders in New Zealand sport. They're one of the great captains. And when you go back to the traditions of Fara Parma and the farmer Farmer Sili and even like Buckshelf of Richard mccauw, you throw in these great captains. She's got all the elements there. And I think Wayne Smith once told me that when he went up on at halftime to tell the team that they've been doing everything wrong, it was too late. Apparently he got there and Luhy was reading the Riot Act and said exactly what he wanted to say. So he turned around and went back to the off the field. He just be taken care of.
Speaker 3: It's all under control already. Yeah, she seems to have a real aura about her, a real calmness just to tranquility about her, both on the field and when your hair are doing media situations. She's a pretty impressive human, she really is.
Speaker 27: Yeah. I did watch the wires last night against South. There was another impressive win against the pretty star studded South team. You never missing Latreal Mitchell, but hey, a rookie halves pairing or a new halves pairing of Hanson and Channell House to Vita and the Chanel number six going up to now Chanel number seven. Things look to be in pretty good order, except a bit sad. As you reported Dylan may Tenney's lesliek with a broken collarbone.
Speaker 3: Now, yeah, well, let's hope that it's not season ending. Hey, James, great to have your home. Look if you if you could, if you could brush up on New Zealand, great New Zealand sporting families for the next time we chat. That'd be great.
Speaker 27: Oh yeah, and more more salt and pepper. Maybe you should have started with push it in honor of our reserve front road.
Speaker 4: Damn it.
Speaker 27: That was another opportunity mess pioneer.
Speaker 3: It was just sitting there for you, James, sitting there for you. I know you'll, I know you'll take the learnings from this chat. Good to see you, mate, seven to two, New Stalks NB.
Speaker 2: The biggest names and sport are here. Weekend Sport with Jason Vine News Talks NB four.
Speaker 3: To two a part of Jim in the North Shore comp not the one A Kelston won that last week. Yes, you're right, it was the North Harbor one a competition West Lake rosmony that James and I were talking about. Thanks for the correction. After two, Andrew Webster is on the show. The Warriors as we sit here right now are top of the NRL table. That could change in a couple of hours when the Roosters play the Tigers, but for right now, with two games to go. The Warriors are top, that top two spot, so crucial, so important is there? Can they reach out and take it?
Speaker 1: The only place for the big names, the big issues, the big controversies and the big conversations.
Speaker 2: It's all on Weekend Sports with Jason.
Speaker 1: Vine and the RDQ seven Dynamic Black Runout edition on Youth Talks v Your Homeless.
Speaker 3: Sport the two O seven. Thanks for all your calls and correspondence on the All Blacks. We look forward to doing it all again next Sunday. Let's hope it says emphatic our performance in Cape Town. Anyway, we'll leave that to one side for now because we have to move on the top of the table. Warriors two games to go, sitting top at the moment. The Roosters can go past them in a few hours if they beat the Tigers, and let's face it, they probably will, given the tigers recent form and the Rooster's recent form. But that top two spot is sitting there, just sitting there, waiting to be grabbed. Andrew Webster is along shortly. We're also going to talk some Grand Prix. Liam Lawson is back in the Red Bull car for the Dutch Grand Prix. He has qualified eighth for tomorrow morning's race. This, of course is his first drive in that car since he was unceremoniously demoted to the Racing Ball after just two races last year back in the Red Bull. How did he look in qualifying? Alex Powell out of the New Zealand herold going to talk to us about that. We'll take some calls on the Warriors too, incidentally, and I'll give you the equation around how they can finish second and also what it might mean in terms of home games over the next month or so, because there's a scenario under which the Warriors will play four times at home in the next five weekends. Anyway we can get to that. Our lines are open on eight hundred and eighty ten eighty nine two ninety two for your text messages. But before we get to anything else, as we always do about this time on weekends, sport, it's time to catch you up. There's been a lot of sport happening. You might have missed some of it, so in case you missed it, and women's rugby, the Lorrie O'Reilly Cup is staying firmly here in New Zealand takes it out gives it away for sets on DAP THEVD. Another of the newcomers, another of these teenage talents, and Black the Black Fern's absolutely destroying Australia sixty six nineteen yesterday at Go Media and the NPC, the muckle crushing Southland and Nelson. Yeah, a little show and.
Speaker 31: Going a nice sport over the top waiting them up now there chants so cort runners coming on the inside.
Speaker 5: I won't need any of them, Tom, I for love there sharing the love.
Speaker 4: At the end of the game and one more player.
Speaker 3: To winsertain forty six points to seventeen the final score. Meantime, the bridge now belongs to North Harbor.
Speaker 31: Tete the advantages nor for North Harbor Hell added to the decks now Barra checks and across Leo time can't stop down stats.
Speaker 26: Oh come on, that is just ridiculously good.
Speaker 3: Rather try Harbor twenty seven, Aufland nineteen and Bay of plenty held off the neck east.
Speaker 21: Straight through the Federal guys ne cor broughtend.
Speaker 26: Great awareness.
Speaker 4: And it is they did in the first half with the Man of the Bend.
Speaker 3: The Steamer is struck twenty eight twenty four. The final score there to the NRL. The mainly Sea Eagles tipped up. The Knights walk back towards center field. All the kawak's on.
Speaker 4: The word of God give you a massive hole.
Speaker 31: The Newcastle Knight's defense breaks turn again.
Speaker 4: Garry has a Saturday afternoon strolled.
Speaker 3: To the line at forty four twenty four the final score and the Bulldogs dismantled the dragon out of the right bick Albanies and then a little outside.
Speaker 5: It's I got about the tax presser stopper, stopper.
Speaker 4: It's a turn at tracing that is just electable touchs.
Speaker 3: Forty four to fourteen the final score there to the Premier League's opening weekends, a win for newly promoted Ipswich.
Speaker 32: Too much goldmanth action in this second period. Next switch looking to change that. Now here's Clark, Jack Clark looking for the Anny day.
Speaker 4: You want the warning for it. Switch the Jets is four.
Speaker 3: O'clock two unt Ipswich over Sunderland and Hull against all expectations, tipping up Manchester United. We've got good presence in these situations.
Speaker 4: Whole All that's DAGs.
Speaker 2: Time.
Speaker 4: That's just noted to be humbled by the humber An extraordinary style.
Speaker 3: For the newly promoted site toil the whole city of the final score. But it wasn't quite the biggest upset of the weekend. That belongs to Buller in the Heartland Championship, who overcame their twenty six dollars underdog tag to beat North Otago twenty two to twenty one.
Speaker 2: Four gets dropped.
Speaker 3: I'm moving that far aside.
Speaker 4: Here's that oh halfway last night and that's the game. That's the game.
Speaker 8: It's all over.
Speaker 32: Over well, congratulations Francis mining Buller from.
Speaker 2: Brilliant victories to battling selections.
Speaker 1: All fair game on Weekend Sport with Jason Vine and the outi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout edition available Whilstock's Last New Stalks v.
Speaker 3: Twelve minutes past two. I think it's first time we've featured Buller on in case you mist at. Well done to the Bullet team for there when yesterday over North Otago twelve minutes past two, the Warriors have moved to the top of the NRL Ladder with a forty five twenty six win over the Rabbit O's in Sydney.
Speaker 4: Ten seconds on.
Speaker 31: The club Harris Devina ride in front of the post.
Speaker 8: They're gonna get fid plot this.
Speaker 2: Hat titser.
Speaker 4: You might have been him in little MESSI.
Speaker 2: Sit your part, I wondered, whatt you a tax stick?
Speaker 4: It's Webster, Webster Towns hats and.
Speaker 2: Hats and kicks.
Speaker 4: The field goal clod Hatch incredible. What is the top of the table? What a kick two?
Speaker 22: Luke Hanson actually gave a footy without itself.
Speaker 31: Warriors win by nineteen was the first time the letter what a finish to the Knight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a field goal on the full time hearder from Luke Hanson has taken the Warriors past Penrith on points differential with two games to play. The forty five points they scored also their highest score of the season, as they ran in seven tries at a core stadium. Warriors coach Andrew Webster is with us. Congratulations on the win and what it's done to your table position. Andrew, the match was probably divided into three parts. After forty seven minutes you were thirty two to eight in front and it scored five tries. So how happy were you at that point?
Speaker 22: Uh?
Speaker 21: Yeah, how have you done?
Speaker 15: Look we're playing that opponent that throw caution to the win and they're very good at it. They execute a lot of those big chefs and big players, and I think we all we all knew we needed to be on our toes, and sure enough they threw plenty at us, and next thing they bring it back to a six point margin. So the most pleasing bit was we kicked away again, which I think everyone can get a bit nervous in that situation, but I was really happy how we handled us.
Speaker 3: In terms of the thirty two points that you did score, though, how happy were you with the fluidity of your attack and the different ways you found to cross the line?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 15: Yeah, I wouldn't say it was completely though, but I just thought he would come up with the players at the right time to make suck to shore, ball to Eddie and then Eddie flicks it to Chanell. Just you know, stuff like that was really cool. But yeah, I think Chanelle's doing a great job. Moved to seven and he's controlling the theme, and I think everyone's really clear on our roles, but I think at our skill level in finishing the job, Like we put up a kick, it wasn't a great kick, but Chanell finds a way to chase it. The ball back and then passed the jakie for a try. So it wasn't all just beautiful skill and nice execution, although there was some there, there was lots lots of like about how we were still competed and turned something bad into something good.
Speaker 3: Do you worry we'll be at thirty two eight ahead and then it's back to thirty two twenty six? Do you worry at that point or are you always confident that the right voices will say the right things at the right times down on the field.
Speaker 15: No, I'm completely confident in ourship, but I've got complete faith. But I'm a human, like I'm worried, I'm going wow, you know, but like if you feel asking who could I send out there and them deliver a message and get them back in back focus, I'm completely confident that we've got the right guys who in our leadship style and structure. So yeah, completely confident in that bit, but I'm certainly human sense where I'm thinking not cheeps. We're in a fight.
Speaker 3: The decision by Luke Hanson to drop that goal at the end, it takes your top of the ladder on points differential. Is that a message you seen down or.
Speaker 15: Not no, no, no, no, I didn't take other field goal. They say, our boys wanted to practice a field goal because Sanel was going to take it and no pressure. And I asked look In to ask again, did you know that kicking that would send us there? And he said I didn't have a quit. So I think everyone can get all the carried away in the romance of what happened. But I was happy if we tried to score. We nearly scored, like to play before when fish when little line break a Minnesota before and then he would have passed it. I passed the cap well, and we nely scored there. But yeah, the field goal was just a boy's trying to practice getting better at I see in those moments, well.
Speaker 3: A brand new Hal's conboy. You've mentioned them both, Luke Hanson, Chanelle Harris Tavita. How did you evaluate their performance and how important might it be if one or both of them has to playing those positions over the next month or so.
Speaker 15: That's hugely important. Yeah, twisting turns everywhere in this game, so we're going to be prepared for every scenario and every players a chance to playing. So I thought they were good at his opportunity and I was wrapped for our most points of the year with a new fresh combination.
Speaker 20: I thought it was all.
Speaker 3: I can ask about Wade Egan later on a couple of tries. That's fourteen assists for the season now twenty one tackles just such a calm head. How important is Wade Egan to you?
Speaker 15: Huge? Absolutely huge calm It's clear. I think everyone talks about it halves, but I think he certainly helps him give them time, he puts them in good situations. Yeah, I think he's a big part of the glue. So here are half dropped into our program. Oh sorry, not program, but dropped into our team that week. Wait, it's certainly making it easy for you.
Speaker 3: So he's very important and as well as an excellent all round game tame to Alpiki perfect off the tee, he kicked eight from eight. Will that vector into your selection thinking when chance is available again.
Speaker 15: Man, we'll take every in consideration. I mean, it can't hurt kicking eight from eight, can it? So I thought he was awesome my moment. We've had that all year so well, good date from eight made the scoreboard look even better. And yeah, no, certainly if you will take everything consideration. So when when we have that headache.
Speaker 3: We saw Delan what Tennis Lesnie go off after scoring has try just after half time. Do you have any update on his shoulder?
Speaker 15: Yeah, man, he's boken's collar bone. So he's getting surgery tomorrow.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah.
Speaker 15: So it's a shame that people probably don't realize that. And did it pretty did it in the first half, kept running the football right and then just went in and going back to the wing and in pain. That half time he took his jersey off to try and get a treated, and then I saw him try and put it back on. It wasn't a nice nice look. Now we turned out it was fractured, and we tried to get him off and then he he is about to come off, and then he turned and chased for that that pass and he got the pass and he scored the try and he put it on his left hand and he's right. He'd never scored a try of his left end ever. He said to me, Yeah, pretty brave, well, extremely brave, and I just thought it was inspiration or what he did last night.
Speaker 3: Absolutely incredibly courageous. There's some great footage of I'm almost coming off and then turning around and scoring that try so shove us broken collarbone? So that season ending, is it?
Speaker 26: No?
Speaker 15: No, no, no, no, it's not right'll be right, We'll work it out.
Speaker 3: Okay. It's good to know as we speak right now your top that could change in a few hours, of course, and I know it only matters if your top at the end of the season, but how well do you feel that sets you up for a run at the top two or even at the minor premiership.
Speaker 15: Honestly, think game to win every game to be my premiers or the top two. And we can win every game and still want to be top two because penerist on four and against yours a game, so can't get carried away with us, Alton. Honestly, we play at home. I'd love to have a home sending. But if we have to travel, we're good at it. What do you travel in anyone? So whatever they give us on whatever happens, where we'll be ready.
Speaker 3: There is a scenario though, and this is very real, under which you might now have four home games in a row. You've got the last two in the regular season. If you finished top two, your host a game you win that you host a preliminary final. The next time you travel might be for the Grand Final. Does this sort of thing go around in your brain or is it just in my brain?
Speaker 15: It goes in my wife's brain having home. I don't know if I think a singer avaving no, look, yeah, if that happened, i'd be awesome. But yeah, it certainly goes through people's brain. Such a sure all.
Speaker 3: Right, Just to finish you extended this week to twenty thirty two. I had rich Igar on the radio yesterday. He suggested that that should mean you should buy drinks until then. How straightforward a decision was it to re sign?
Speaker 15: Yeah, I went to buy Richard drink last night. You don't even drink, So I don't know what I can do there. No, No, I'm just I'm just really keen. Keen. Stay in New Zealand and say the worries. I love the place, I love the people. I like what Robo and Cameron are doing with the place, and you know, like I say it all the time, but we're only a reflection of the players, you know, And I just appreciate it. Spend more time with them than I probably do my family. So it's such a cool place. To go to work every day and that's why I want to go.
Speaker 3: So well home for a while. Now we'll be thanks for taking the time. Congrats on the win mates, save travels and all the best as you prepare for Newcastle next week.
Speaker 15: Thank you, thanks so much, No, thank you.
Speaker 3: Andrew Andrew Webster, their head coach, to the Warrior's lines, open the talk. The Warriors eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. It's two twenty two. Just before we go to the line, says have look at this table and ahead to the final fortnight of the regular season. So the Warriors are currently top thirty eight points twenty two games. The Panthers also have thirty eight points from twenty two games, but the Warriors have a better points differential by a solitary point. Now the Roosters also have thirty eight points and they have a game in hand, so they can go back to the top of the table if they beat the Tigers at home this afternoon, which they almost certainly will so then it'll be Roosters forty, Warriors thirty eight, Panthers thirty eight, and they'll all have two games left. So if the Warriors and the Panthers both win theyre remaining two games, they'll stay level on points. So in order to finish above the Panthers, the Warriors have to win their last two games by a combined same or better margin across the two games than the Panthers. In other words, assuming both teams win their last two games, we add together the Warriors winning margins, and we add together the Panthers winning margins, and if those numbers are the same, or if the Warrior's number is higher, then the Warriors finished second. So let's look at the remaining matches. The Warriors have the sixth placed Knights and the tenth placed Eagle Sea Eagles, both at home. The Panthers play the ninth placed Bulldogs and the sixteenth placed Titans, also both at home, so very similar run ins. The Roosters actually have quite a tough run in after the Tigers. Today they play the fourth placed Dolphins at home and the seventh placed rabbit Os away. But the Roosters are red hot. They've won their last eight games. They have the inside running to win the minor premiership. So think of the fortnight ahead as a straight sprint for second between the Warriors and the Panthers. And if the Warriors do finish second. As I just said to Andrew Webster, there's a very real chance that they will play four straight home games over the next five weekends, the final two regular season games. Of course, then if they're in the top two, they would host a qualifying final in week one, and if they win that, they'd have a week off and then host a preliminary final in week three. Win that and they play in the Grand Final on Sunday, October fourth. That is why a top two finish in the regular season is so advantageous, because you are effectively two home games away from the Grand Final. Oh eight hundred five, Alec, I know you've been amped up and ready and waiting to talk the Warriors.
Speaker 16: Mate.
Speaker 3: How are you feeling with two games to go?
Speaker 11: Piney? How's it going?
Speaker 6: Brother?
Speaker 11: What a great week in the sport that we've had. Oh Jesus, just so good to talk to listen to web talk. But yeah, I mean, I'm I'm confident Piney. If the boys can take care of business, it's everything's there for the taking. Obviously, you know we we won by nineteen, which is what we had to do. But yeah, I think I think that that if we can take care of business. That's pretty much all we can do. And then I'm hoping that the Dolphins can get up over those Roosters next weekend. And I mean even even I think I heard you say the Panthers play the Bulldogs as well. So I don't know if you watched the Bulldogs game, but they were on last night. I mean, I know they were only playing the Dragons, but you know, there's a few teams that are still fighting for their top eight spot, so they've got lots to play for, just like us. But yeah, if we can take care of business, it just puts us in that great, great stead to either finish first or second. Pointy.
Speaker 3: Indeed, yeah, you're right about the Bulldogs. Actually, yeah, and yes, the Panthers do play the Bulldogs next and you're right that.
Speaker 18: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The good thing about that, as you say, is that the Bulldogs still believe they can make the eight, so that won't be I mean, it is it is in Penrith, but yeah, it's no fore gone conclusion. I mean, the teams like the Tigers, for example, this afternoon, I mean, the Roosters should have no problem with them. But yeah, the likes of the Bulldogs, even you know, the Knights, who the Warriors play next week. I mean, we shouldn't downplay there. They're a party, you know, on their day.
Speaker 11: They're a good team too, you know, I mean even even yesterday, because I watched a bit of that night's game and you know, mainly mainly pipped them yesterday and and that was it at Newcastle. I'm pretty sure it was two pointy. So there was a bit of a shock because I thought the Knots would have taken that one. But obviously and then and then I think we play manly in that last round. So these are no easy games for the for the worst to win. But how hell we've been playing all season and then obviously with all our injuries that we've had, it's just that next man up mentality which the boys have, and I've got full confidence that we can take both of these games. And I mean there's a too early to say to book your tickets to the Grand Final.
Speaker 3: Absolutely not, It's absolutely not too early. In fact, I saw I heard them sound the commentary last night, because you can buy Grand Final tickets already, and I think you must have to put in when you buy them, you must have to put in which club you support and so get The club with the most Grand Final tickets purchased so far is the Warriors. Warriors fans exactly good, all right mate, You keep the faith, You keep the faith, You keep the faith, mate, Always good chatting to you, mate. I love the enthusiasm you bring to the radio. Stay with us on this mate. It's a sprint to the finish line for second. Warriors have the Knights in the Sea, Eagles, Panthers have the Bulldogs and the Titans, and then we'll know, we'll know where they are. I mean top four is basically sow and up now, so that will mean at least a finals game at home. It could be in It could be in week two or three or one, depending on where they finish. I'm not going to give you all the different combinations. I gave you the combination around finishing second. If the Warriors finished third or fourth, then they will go away in week one of the finals against either the first or second place side. If they were to win, that they would host in week three. If they were to lose that they would host in week two. So Warriors fans will have a guaranteed finals game at home now unless the Warriors completely drop their bundle and fall out of the top four, which I just can't see happening. Thanks Alec. Good to chat to you mate, Greg. Hi, there are you going good? Thank you?
Speaker 4: Greg?
Speaker 10: Isn't It's funny years and years we've sat down and worked out the permutations of whether we can get into the top eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I know, I know what you say, Greg. Yeah, We're still a mathematical chance. That's been our sentence for.
Speaker 10: So long exactly, and we're still a mathematical chance.
Speaker 27: I'm getting there.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I guess the difference, as you say, Greg, the difference is that, Yeah, in past seasons has been can we sneak into the eight? Now it's can we finish in the top two? Can we win the thing? For goodness sake?
Speaker 10: Of course we can. Basically any of the eight can win it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I feel like I feel like if the Warriors make the Grand Final, they will I feel like that occasion will be something that suits them brilliantly. I feel like if they can make the Grand Final, they will almost be favorites to win it, regardless of who they're playing. There's a bit of water to fly under the bridge, but man, there is some momentum in the side, There are some depth in the side, there are some key players coming back, And ask Andrew Webster about to Mighty Martin, but I believe he's back next week. Jackson Ford won't be too far away. Even Luke metcalf Mark might make an appearance at the end. Dellan, what's zalisni x broken collar bone is obviously a blow, but he sounded confident that he'll play some part at the back end of the season. So I don't know. It just feels as though the stars are aligning and their time is now.
Speaker 23: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I think that's a very, very big call from you.
Speaker 3: It couldn't be the first time.
Speaker 10: You know, you watch the last couple of games and there's been ebbs and flows. Now ad literally everybody will say, well, in the past, those ebbs would have continued. Currently we seem to be able to pick ourselves up and get back on the horse. Like last night's game, I was like, oh Jesus, and I really felt like that as you said that it was actually a game of four quarters, Like we lost the first quarter, we won the second quarter, We've lost the third quarter, and we won the fourth quarter. In my mind and just taking the score out of the equation, just the way that the play went, you know, sitting on the edges of your seat all the time. One thing I'd like to mention is that and it's for the guys who don't get a lot of airtime, I suppose, and that's guys like Cathy. You know, the recruitment team that the worri is got.
Speaker 14: Is working so.
Speaker 10: Hard to get these flayers to come. Now, in the past we've had you know, great deal of dipically in getting players to come to the Warriors. Now they're lighting up at our door. But you know you need to negotiate, and you know, also to negotiate to get Andrew Webster for another four years. You know, it's all the back room stuff that these I suppose a lot of the fans don't actually realize. So I think they need a big slap on the back. But yeah, I just think that you know, we've got this, as you've said in the past, the next man mentality. But it's only through having the recruitment that we've got the right people in the right places to step up.
Speaker 3: Yep, bang on, great, bang on. And Andrew McFadden needs a big pat on the back is just say for doing that. The man they call Kappy, the recruitment head of recruitment at the Clibs bang on, mate, got to move, Greg, but keep the faith. I know you will. I know you'll keep me honest as well, and tell me when I'm making big calls too big. Thanks for yours twenty seven to three, Newstalks NB.
Speaker 1: A Big Calls, Big Moments We Can Sport with Jason Vine and the audi Q.
Speaker 2: Seven Dynamic Black Runout edition from One News Talks NB.
Speaker 3: Twenty four to three. Going to wrap Baliam Lawson at the Dutch Grand Prix in terms of qualifying shortly, but UFC Light Heavyweight World Champion Carlos Olberg and new Zella Music Icon six P sixty are taking eight Kiwi fans to Baltimore next month for the Ultimate US Roady. Two winners will take three mates with them. They'll watch the All Blacks play the spring Box from a private suite. They'll get backstage and VIP access to six sixties Baltimore show and take part in a private training experience with Carlos Olberg himself. Flights, accommodation, spending money all included. It's part of the greatest, the greatest shout it's a Manuka Fuel competition, Carlos old Burger's with us. How good is this gonna be? What a prize, Carlos bro What a prize?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 31: Men?
Speaker 33: I think what this essentially is bo A is the ultimate Huey experience both. So yeah, man, I think, well, because I know I know the Manuka Fuel team and you know the guy.
Speaker 10: The guy's quite up there.
Speaker 33: They're awesome guys, and what they're wanting to do is just take a slice of altered or over to the USA and give them that experience.
Speaker 7: Both.
Speaker 33: So I think, yeah, you think you said it pretty simply. Everyone's just going and go to like go to New World or pack and save, grab yourself for Minuka Fuel drink and you're in the draw. So I think thirtieth of August is when it closes both. So yeah, man, I guess I guess you just get to hang.
Speaker 27: Out with us.
Speaker 3: It's an outstanding prize. And the thing about it I really like is that you've got your winners, but they get to bring three of their mates as well. It's it's it's quite key with isn't it.
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: You know, just win something for yourself, you get to make three of your mates along for the ride exactly.
Speaker 33: I mean I've already gone and done mine too, So I think you get to win.
Speaker 27: You get the chance to win twice.
Speaker 33: Maybe, so if you go and buy one from from Pack and Save and you go one go get one from New World, and you get two chances. So I think, yeah, I think that's that's a pretty cool price to give a friend, if you know, if I get the win, so that'll be cool.
Speaker 3: How did your friendship with six sixty development? How much fun is it going to be doing something like this together?
Speaker 2: Pretty big man.
Speaker 33: I mean I've known the six sixty boys for quite a while. They actually had like a boxing gym just out in Kingsland, and and I was turning out of there for a few years and got to build a relationship with those boys therefore for a bit. And yeah, build a relationship with them. So going on on this trip with them will be pretty cool.
Speaker 3: And what about the private training experience with you? What are our right when it's going to get to experience? So when they were they going to get the full Carloss experience.
Speaker 18: I'll make it light, bro, I'll make it pretty light.
Speaker 33: So it's pretty Yeah, I'll make it like you know, well on there, we were on, we're on, we're on holiday modes, so nice and easy, but.
Speaker 2: We'll spice it up a little bit.
Speaker 3: I know you're a big sports fan yourself. How much you're looking forward to watching the All Blacks take on the spring Box in Baltimore.
Speaker 27: Yeah, pretty big, man.
Speaker 33: I mean it's it's what their last test match there, So I think it's going to be a pretty big thing for us kiwis anyway, just to go and go overseas.
Speaker 4: And experience that moment.
Speaker 18: And I think there's going to be some.
Speaker 33: Pretty big stars there as well. So I think that's a that's one thing to look up to look up for.
Speaker 3: You've spent your career competing at the highest level. Do you see a similar mentality in the in the in the way that our elite rugby players get themselves ready for massive matches like this?
Speaker 13: Yeah, man, I mean definitely.
Speaker 33: I think if you, if you, if you put the work in and and you know, all these these guys have the experience as well as the workload, uh and the and the trust and the process, and I think they'll they'll be able to get the job done. But I mean they've been doing it for such a long time that they know what to do, they know what to expect.
Speaker 13: Now.
Speaker 3: Our UFC listeners wouldn't forgive me if I didn't ask you how the recovery from the knee injury is going. How is it going?
Speaker 12: It sucks, bloke, it sucks.
Speaker 33: I'm on the sidelines. I'm just at the gym now, so just watching the guys.
Speaker 27: Training and doing their thing.
Speaker 33: It's just I'm getting itchy feet. So I can't wait to get myself back in there, which will be a couple of months yet to Liken jump on those mats. So just learning by watching at the moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so are we are we on track for a return sometime early twenty seven?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 2: Is that the plan for sure?
Speaker 26: Bro?
Speaker 33: That's the one.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 33: I think all we need to do now is as make sure our body is all intact and we do everything. Well, we're ahead of schedule now, but make sure that we were physically and mentally strong so when we get in there, when we get on the mats, well, good to go.
Speaker 3: And you become one of the faces of New Zealand sport internationally. Yeah, how much responsibility. Do you feel to represent Aldodor when you when you enter the octagon?
Speaker 33: Yeah, man, I mean I've always, I've always whenever I gone there, I always put you know, at or and my country on my shoulders.
Speaker 27: And go in there with a lot of plates.
Speaker 33: So I think just with with with with us Kiwi's alone, just going in there to be able to represent.
Speaker 10: And and and sell our countries, so so so our Nissan.
Speaker 8: You know it's it's all possible, so always man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good on your colors. Hey, well thanks for joining us. Mate, all the best when you do get your winners, you and six sixty over to Baltimore to to well take part in this wonderful price So Manuka fuel, if you buy it from New World or Pack and Safe, you'll be in the drawer for this great US roadie featuring Carlos Olberg and six sixty nineteen away from three we'll take them. Comeback talk some formula one because Liam Lawson has qualified eighth for tomorrow morning's Dutch Grand Prix. He is of course back in the red car. So how did he look overnight? Alex Powell out of the New Zealand Herold going to tell.
Speaker 1: Us Sport doesn't stop at the full time Whistle Weekend Sports with Jason Vine and the out e Q seven Dynamic Black Runout Edition includes thirty thousand dollars of premium upgrades Call eight hundred and eighty ten eighty News Dogs sa'd be.
Speaker 3: Two forty five. Liam Lawson has qualified eighth for tomorrow morning's Dutch Grand Prix. He'll start on the grid beside Red Bull teammate Max for Stappin. Lawson had earlier finished eleventh in the sprint race won by the Mercedes of George Russell. New Zealand Herald motorsport writer and expert Alex powellers with us. Of course he's back in the Red Ball now, Alex having of course spent the rest of the season and the Racing Ball qualifying eight the longside Max for stapp and how impressive was his qualifying performance.
Speaker 19: Afternoon, Bonnie, Yeah, look, I sort of can't have enough superlatives for what lem Lawson was able to do in the early hours of this morning. And the great sadness is that the All blacks Worth is going to overshadow a lot of it. And if you remember last year when Liam Lawson was confirmed in that Red Bull car next to maxa stap and he was given a target to be within three tenths of the step in per lap the qualifying if he had this morning, he was about just over one tenth behind Max. So when you look at that, having had no time to prepare in this car, he had one hour on the Friday night into a sprint qualifying into a sprint race, and he's just coming and he has shown there is very little between the two, which when you think about the quality of Max the stap and you've got to remember you look at Isaac Hadjar as his teammate, who's at his average gap to his teammate this year is about two tenths two point three tenths maybe, So look, I mean it's just a huge tick for Liam Lawson and where we know he is. But now I think the rest of the world, in Red Bull in particular, are able to see it.
Speaker 3: He's been very careful afterwards, I see not to frame this up as any kind of vindication or ravene or anything like that. Those are probably media phrases rather than his. Do you think he has genuinely put that whole episode behind him.
Speaker 26: Yeah?
Speaker 19: Absolutely, I mean the important thing here is that Liam has been very forthright about the way he feels about the whole Red Bull situation. He says that he feels like it almost didn't count that he's never really driven Red Bull because he had two races and was unceremoniously axed and moved back down to Racing Balls. But the way he's rebuilt and earned this chance, Let's not forget like Red Bull had plenty of options to put in that car next to Mexa Step, and they went with Lemowson because they knew he was the one who could give them what they want or had the best chance of what they want when or not help get this chance again in the future. It's probably way too soon to say, But in terms of revenge or proving people wrong, I think it's not about that he's proved himself right, and that's what I think him and the people closest to Lamb will really be happy with.
Speaker 3: Time in the car has to be a factor he does not. He's having a terrific season at Racing Balls. Ninth in the championship, so only the big for McLaren Mercedes Ferrari Red Ball ahead of them. Do you think this year has fundamentally changed Liam as a Formula One driver for the Beta.
Speaker 19: I mean yeah, I mean, of course it has. You know, like the knock he would have taken to his confidence last year, I think we all saw, like you look at what happened in twenty twenty five, that's kind of the aberration in his career. He was competitive in Formula two and Formula three without really challenging for a title. But you look at how he raced in Germany and the DTM series and he came within one race of winning that. The same with super Formula in Japan. So he knows that he is a driver who can fight at the front of the field, and it's just been about earning the chance to get into a seat where he could show that. And that's kind of come this week. I mean, Red Bull are a top team, but they probably do have the fourth best car of the year, and I mean what we'll see I mean over seventy two laps later tonight into the early hours of tourrom On and will probably show just where he stands now.
Speaker 3: I remember there's a lot of talk last year about how unless you were a genius like Max for stap and you couldn't drive the Red Bull car. It was well, you could drive it, but not very well. You know what I mean. Is the twenty twenty six Red Ball more driveable than the twenty twenty five version.
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 19: Absolutely, I mean the twenty twenty five car was just a peg basically. You look at what Max of Staffan was able to do and that just shows how good he is. But the regulation change and the way they've been able to just strip everything back and redesign this car, and you look at the way Isaac hadjust performed in it, and it really does show that it is an easier car to drive. Hadjars in a second season of Formula One, and he did very well in the racing balls last year. But the gap he has managed to close to the step and you look at the quality drivers that had struggled next to the.
Speaker 15: Full time of a champion.
Speaker 19: You've not just got Laws and you've got Pierre Gasley, You've got Alex Albon, You've got Sergio Perris, the guys who have all shown elsewhere on the grid that they are really good drivers. But back dear question, and yeah, the quality of this Red Bull car is clearly it is an easier car to drive. It is still much more difficult than the Racing bulls lamb Lawson is used to because that, I mean, by all accounts of a very nice car to drive. But where he goes with this one, I think he'll be grateful that he's not in that twenty twenty five Red Bull.
Speaker 3: I see he's also spoken about tailoring the car much more closely to what he actually wants. Is that another big difference between the Liam of last year and this that he's more confident now telling the engineer is exactly what he needs.
Speaker 11: No, I wouldn't say that.
Speaker 19: I think what we've heard about Lem Lawson right through his time in Red Bull is that he is very able to give precise driver feedback. You look at why he's given him and sorry, why he's been given the opportunities he has. It's because of things like that, because he's very good at helping teams develop their cars. You look at the fact that he has no commercial backing, or effectively no commercial backing. He doesn't come from money, he doesn't come from a huge population base that Red Bull can sell ten million caps and ten million cans of drink to every week. So he's got to have something in its corner that they do really value him for in that technical feedback. Just part of that along worth. Now we're seeing, especially next to otherland lad the sort of guidance he can give junior members of that team.
Speaker 3: So eighth on the grid, this circuit is reportedly quite difficult to overtake on. So what a good result is eight?
Speaker 2: The good result eight will be phenomenal.
Speaker 19: Like I said earlier, this is probably the fourth best cart, So seventh and eighth are really where they should be, and that's where they are on the grid. It's actually going to be a really interesting sort of dynamic. We've seen over the last what sixteen months back as time at racing balls that Lam Lawson has turned into a very good defensive driver. One season in front of you, it's very hard to overtake him, but you look at how he came up through the grades and through all the junior series, and he is actually really aggressive. He's very good at getting on the brakes late to beat you into a corner and then accelerate out of it quickly. Whether or not we'll get to see that tonight, just because of the pace troubles that Red Bull are having compared to the McLaren for the Mercedes and the ferraris is to be seen. But if he gets the opportunity to try and get some overtaking done, especially over a race distance, I think we'll hopefully see something special. But I think at Hold eights that would also be a world class result given the circumstances that he's found himself in this weekend.
Speaker 3: What time has lights out and away we go.
Speaker 19: It's an early one, it's one am, so if anyone, yeah, so if anyone wants to take the night off, I'll have something up on the Herald first thing in the morning. But otherwise tune in because there could be a good one for our key.
Speaker 16: We in there well.
Speaker 3: Regardless of whether they watch or not, they'll definitely be reading on the here of what you write about at Alex, your analysis is always good reading. Thanks for joining us on here as well, mate, Alex Powell. Read him at enzid herol dot co dot NZ. Eight Away from three News Talks B.
Speaker 1: The big Names and the big calls on your home of sport Weekend Sport with Jason Vine News Talks.
Speaker 3: MB coming at four and a half to three. That'll just about do us on Weekend Sport for today, I was thinking to myself and that bit abreak. Imagine if you didn't like sport, Imagine if you weren't able to appreciate what the Black Thing instead yesterday, what the Warriors did last night, what the All Blacks did in the early hours of this morning, and what Liam Lawson might do in the early hours of tomorrow morning. What bulleted in sport. Don't forget that one. I won't forget that now. I won't forget it now. But imagine if you didn't love sport. I guess you wouldn't be listening, would you? Thank you for listening. Thanks to Anny McDonald for producing Tim Beverage After three with the Weekend Collective. We're back tomorrow night on Sports Talk taking us out well fun times in Johannesburg. So why not any grants and give me a hope, Joanna see tomorrow.
Speaker 26: Nor if you're blamed, Joe, if you hear that song, don't drum cant'll see that David. We went morning.
Speaker 1: For more from Weekends Sport with Jason Fine. Listen live to news Talks it Be Weekends from midday, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.