Speaker 1: Kyota.
Speaker 2: I'm Chelsea Daniels and this is the Front Page, a daily podcast presented by The New Zealand Terror It's been more than two years since Cyclone Gabrielle and the Auckland Anniversary weekend floods.
Speaker 1: The storm en route to hit the North Island could be one of the biggest in twenty years. Be prepared to leave if you need to and have enough supplies to sustain yourself for up to three days.
Speaker 3: Well definitely in this time we have warning. There was no warning last time.
Speaker 1: Auckland and Thams Coramandel have extended the estates of emergency for another week.
Speaker 4: One shopper described the supermarket as crazy busy, with queues going right through the store.
Speaker 1: States of emergency have been now been declared for Northland to Auckland, Corimandel, tait Affati and Awporter.
Speaker 3: Key the messages please take care and follow the advice of emergency services.
Speaker 1: Nineteen people died. A three week long inquest has begun in Hastings District Court examining how prepared we were for the cyclone, how warnings were issued and the emergency response. Today on the Front Page, Open Justice reporter Rick Stevens joins us from court to take us through what we know so far and what we hope to learn.
Speaker 2: From these tragic events.
Speaker 1: So Rick, the first phase of the inquest was held in Auckland. Tell me about that.
Speaker 5: So the first phase in Auckland was held in August and it looked at the deaths of four people in the Auckland floods and then two others, two firefighters at Murrowai during Psycha, and Gabrielle that hearing look to the emergency responses and what led to a state of emergency being declared in Auckland along with the circumstances of the death of the people there. The Rawle inquiry has now moved to Hastings where it's looking at the fate of people who died as a result of cycling. Gabrielle on the East coast.
Speaker 1: Tell me a little bit more about the victims and what we know about them.
Speaker 5: So in hawks Bay there were initially seven men who died, four women and a little girl. She was sadly Ivy Collins, whose family home in Esdale was flooded. The oldest was Helen Street eighty six, who died in Napier. She was dependent on supplied oxygen and the coroner will be looking into kind of what happened there. Well. One significant development is that we've had an extra name added to the list, and that is that of Joseph Ahuiari, mister who really went missing in his car on the night of the cyclone and it's been a big kind of local mystery about what happened to him. There have been a number of searches for him since, both on land and at sea, and what happened to him has been perplexing. The police said they initially didn't think that his apparent death was linked to the cyclone, but now that they haven't furred it to the coroner and she has decided to include it in this inquiry.
Speaker 1: So that takes the number of deaths that the coroner is looking at in total to nineteen.
Speaker 5: That's correct, Yes, so those that are covering both Auckland, Hawks Bay and some others.
Speaker 1: I understand that three apparent self inflicted deaths post cyclone will also be included in the inquiry. What's the reasoning behind that?
Speaker 5: So there were three deaths occurred in the months after the cyclone that these have been included as being apparently self inflicted. I can't really tell you too much about that at the moment. There's still non publication orders around those people, and we'll get to learn more about them in time.
Speaker 4: I'm sure when cyclone Gabrielle came through, people were cut off for a long periods of time. The networks are quite resilient, but they're not resilient enough, and Gabrielle exposed that. Up until Gabrielle, we thought that if you had a handful of cables going into an area like I think it's Hawk's Bay that was both worst affected towns like Wairoa in Hawks Bay, they had a handful of lines going into those places, but the lines went across bridges and the bridges were wiped out, and a couple of lines, and it turns out that having two or three lines in isn't enough. You need more. So we're building resilience into the network and we've been doing a lot of work on that since Gabrielle and Gabriell's It was quite a wake up call for that.
Speaker 1: What is the judge looking at when it comes to cyclone Gabrielle in particular, I mean, what are some of the preliminary issues raised.
Speaker 5: So the current is looking at the circumstances of individual desk but also things like the flooding list of places like Salapu and take Karaka, and how agencies could have responded to the event, what could have been done better, whether in fact, you know, planning should allow for houses to be built in flood per areas that sort of issue.
Speaker 1: And are the issues facing each of those areas quite similar or are there specifics to each area that they'll be really honing in on.
Speaker 5: I think there will be specifics to each other, each area, although you know, although it was a district wide event, you know, there were things about each area that would be perhaps peculiar.
Speaker 1: The response of emergency services will of course be under the microscope over the next few weeks, given some people who actually called Triple one during the cyclone were told that there was no help available. What do we know about that thus far?
Speaker 5: We haven't heard too much about that at the moment. But yeah, so the coroner obviously will want to know what happened there. I mean, they were told it wasn't but I think just because the scale of what is happening, you know, the emergency services were stretched really really to the limit, So the corn will be looking at what warnings were issued by the authority beforehand, where the message is about what to do, were timely inaccurate, whether the emergency services were sufficiently prepared. There are also questions about rivers breaking their banks, the mitigations measures that might have been put in place, whether these were adequate, could the councils have done.
Speaker 1: Generally, What is the point of a coronial.
Speaker 5: Inquiry, Well, like any inquest, I think it seeks to establish a circumstances around a death, but also, you know, are there lessons that can be learned from that, what's happened, how can things be better handled, and you know what needs to be avoided in the future. In terms of this sort of event where it's a large scale event, very complicated, with a lot of agency is involved in the coordination between them, things happening in real time very quickly, you know what can be learned from that. I mean, there may be a whole heap of issues that come out of that that may help planning for future events. But that's kind of what the coroner is all about.
Speaker 1: And it's been a couple of years since the events. Have you been speaking to any locals. How are they feeling this coming up again? I suppose.
Speaker 5: I haven't had a lot of you know, I mean, I've mentioned to people that it's back on. They're interesting, interesting and of course, but I think they see as part of the process that has to be gone through.
Speaker 1: Who are we likely to hear from over the next few weeks, So.
Speaker 5: The next two weeks, well, this week anyway that the mister witnesses mainly sort of fire and emergencies, civil defense people, from the local councilors, the police. We'll probably hear more from the families next month. The circumstances around Joseph Whoy's disappearance will be considered next year.
Speaker 3: More Anna, It now seems for most of us that we are past the worst of the current weather event. The review that I announced and to what went wrong in the first twenty four to fort eight hours is underway. Bulkiners began the big Auckham clean up the very next morning after the flood. You've made me proud and humbled to be your mayor. You've risen to the challenge to look after your neighbors and your local communities, to leander helping hand and support our council staff on the ground, our emergency services and our volunteers have also been magnificent, in some cases putting themselves at risk. Today, our council focus moves from the emergency response to provide greater support to the big Auckhanm cleanup. The big organ cleanup is being led by communities, community organizations, local boards, local councils, the private sector and supported by Buckland Council and central government. So let's show in New Zealand and the world the strength of all the communities across our region.
Speaker 1: And when it comes to these kind of things, I mean, the witness lists can be enormous. What's it like sitting there and hearing the discussions because sometimes it can be quite monotonous. But it's all a part of the process, isn't it.
Speaker 5: I think yes, it isn't quite quite other process we've got. We've got fifteen councils in what is not it? So fifteen lawyers in a calling that's not not huge. So there's a lot to go through. There are different organizations and people who represented who will want, you know, to question witnesses and things like that. It's it is a long process. But then things that happen in the judicial system quite often are And.
Speaker 1: Tell me again, in terms of emergency services, who who will be representing each one of them? I suppose not the exact names, but I'm thinking foreign emergency will be there, no doubt.
Speaker 5: Yes. In fact, we've got, you know, a national commander from fire emergency here who happened to be the district commander at the time. And so you know, it can be people quite high level and.
Speaker 1: Has there been much interest in and around the courthouse.
Speaker 5: Not a great deal at the moment. It may be different when people know that it's on, but it's mainly sort of professional people who are who are there today and or people associated with the organizations that will be called, and mainly their lawyers. At the moment, as I say, that's probably around thirty odd people in the courtroom, half of them half of them are our lawyers.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us, Rick, You're welcome. That's it for this episode of The Front Page. You can read more about today's stories and extensive news coverage at enzdherld dot co dot nz. The Front Page is produced by Jane Ye and Richard Martin, who is also our editor. I'm Chelsea Daniels, subscribe to the front page on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts, and tune in tomorrow for another look behind the headline.
Speaker 5: It's