Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from News Talks.
Speaker 2: I'd be.
Speaker 3: Dumb shot wish.
Speaker 4: Jack do.
Speaker 2: There's a party downtown ett everybody had party.
Speaker 3: Everybody and welcome back to the Weekend Collective. By the way, as I mentioned, I'd like to mention every hour if you've missed any of the hours and you want to catch up with a couple of really interesting chats with the first with Alan Clark, former Prime Minister, about Luxon's visits to China, which did sort of stimulate a few of you to make some comments and calls, which is great. And also Warwick bag who is the dean of the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences about the new announcement by Simeon Brown about what's the press release said something about patients first, which is as he admit, as I put to him, it is sort of putting patients first is sort of medicine one oh one. But it was more about the systems and everything. So you can go and check that out and the talk back as well by looking for the Weekend Collective on iHeartRadio and News Talks hed B. But the sound of that other person breathing in the background. There is my Sorry, I'll stop breathing. I thought that was your explanation of air about the about the politics side of things. Anyway, he's just back. He's just back, well, a couple of weeks ago from the accompanying the cricket our cricket team in Sri Lanka.
Speaker 5: What Bangladesh?
Speaker 3: Bangladesh? Sorry? What am I saying?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 3: Okay, completely wrong? Sorry in Bangladesh? Where do I get Sri Lanka from? I don't know? Anyway, And he was to show me the videos of just the rigmarole and get into the ground with this. Here's our bus, here's the decoy bus. Here's another decoy bus, and here's the army, and here's the ambulance. And here's some armed people and small police.
Speaker 5: And the fire engine to wash the blood off the road at the end of it.
Speaker 3: Is that what it's for? Anyway? John Cameron, Hello, how are you? It's good to be back. Did you have a good trip?
Speaker 5: Fascinating always fascinating Southern Asian countries. It's brilliant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did you actually how do you eat when you go on? What what do you how do you choose your what do you eat? Do you like to eat local or do you like.
Speaker 5: To absolutely yep, yeah, curry cutty cuddy, just non stream for breakfast, curry for lunch, curry for tea.
Speaker 3: It's like being on a cruise. And what about the team, how do they go?
Speaker 5: Yeah they have to Basically we're locked down, so we can't leave the hotel. And so know what the hotel gives you? Yeah, they've got some western foods. You never so you.
Speaker 3: Can't go for a walkout on the street. Are you a good boy? Or do you sneak out? You just don't.
Speaker 5: Because three and a half weeks lockdown into a hotel.
Speaker 3: Wow, it doesn't quite sound like the international travel experience that people might imagine it to be. So hotel cricket ground, hotel cricket ground, you got it, that's it. That's okay.
Speaker 5: Swimming pool we're okay.
Speaker 3: What about so that's that what you do for exercise and a gym? And of course Bangladesh no booze.
Speaker 5: It's dry, absolutely dry.
Speaker 3: And well that ties in whether I want to talk about it for a health AUP. We want your cause. By the way, our one hundred eighty ten eighty text nine two nine two. There was a story that got my attention because the headline was something that would instantly irritate people, because you know, it's one thing to be told alcohol is a cart and a journ in it. If you the more you drink of it, the worse your health outcomes are, et cetera, et cetera. But this particular article was directed at women and it was aimed at reducing your risk of breast cancer if you are predisposed to it. I guess I think the risk went up from eleven out of one hundred to fourteen or something if you drank alcohol. And the recommendation was that no more than six glasses of wine per year, And I thought, no one's going to be I mean, who's going to pay attention to that? But I'd love to know your You have your cause on this as well, though. Have you ever given up alcohol? And how did you do it? And was it in response to you simply worrying about I mean, alcohol is one thing, but just drinking alcohol and health outcomes is it something that you pay attention to or not? I mean, John, as a doctor, you might have a tipple between even song.
Speaker 5: If you were going to market a drug today and alcohol was that dragon hadn't been marketed before, you wouldn't be able to bring it onto the market. There are so many risks and harmful events that happened from alcohol, both physiologically, sociologically, psychologically, all of the bits around our body and everything else. It's not a good substance. So when we're talking about alcohol, we don't have a safe level. There is no such thing as a safe level of alcohol intake. There is a low risk or lower risk level which you can look at, which is probably somewhere around about twelve to fourteen standard units of alcohol in an average week over all. Well, that's not the breast cancer.
Speaker 3: It's Interestingly, when I had a chat with Warreck Bagger from the Faculty of Medicine in Auckland, he had heard my introduction that we're going to talking about this and he took an opportunity, took the opportunity to say that, okay, this policy, aside that the government's announced prevention we need and he hit that two or three times. We need to focus on prevention. But if you could stop, if you could prevent the problems that alcohol causes in New Zealand, human can I use a technical extent you've known humongous.
Speaker 5: Our emergency apartments would be sitting around twiddling their thumbs on a Saturday night. Just the amount of the damage. And you know, domestic violence, true alcoholism and stuff prevably have problem drinking, the way it disinhibits people and the actions that happened from that distmdibition. Yes, it's fascinating because it's such an easy substance to obtain. You can make it in your garage, there's no problem with that. It's a natural product from the rotting of sugars, So that's what happened to it. And people go do lely google juice.
Speaker 3: So and yet a nice chardonnay of an evening can feel like quite a civilized sort of you know that. The argument, of course, it's like reducing a bit of stress and sitting back with your loved wine and having a glass of wine over a meal. Ah, what a nice way to end the day.
Speaker 5: Is that going to cause you any damage or harm? Probably not?
Speaker 3: What about the study six lasses of wine year, And it's easy to just it's easy to look at it and go, oh, just another bloody study. It's ridiculous, But it's not. The study they've just invented stuff out of thin air.
Speaker 5: So alcohol per se does not cause breast cancer. People who have a higher alcohol intake are more likely to develop breast cancer. Yes, so it is not the one thing that causes it. It's an amplifier of base risk.
Speaker 3: So if you are at risk of cancer of this particular case breast answer, you are slightly more at risk if you drink alcohol.
Speaker 5: Unfortunately, the highest risk for breast cancer is being female and having breasts. Yeah, you've got about a one and twelve lifetime risk. One on twelve women during their life will develop breast cancer. Yeah, so things that will accelerate that away. It's a small percentage acceleration on a rather common thing. So you see more events there.
Speaker 3: So what do people do with a story like that, or a study like that, or a recommendation because that came from the United Nations Health sort of I can't remember what the name of the body is, but it hadn't wasn't something that came from sort of to a taper.
Speaker 5: So you put the information out there and saying if that is a big fear of what you're concerned about about your life, your health, put that into your framework of what you will accept your risk of so coming to the show today. Guess what. I sat in my car and I drove across town and did you know that three hundred and sixty people a year die from doing that exact same thing. So you always got to weigh up your risk benefit risk outcome where does it sit within your paradigm of worry or concern.
Speaker 3: That's actually quite a good way to put it, because life is full of risk, and if you were to suddenly think, well, there's an increased chance of a negative a negative result from any particular activity, wouldn't get out of bed in the morning, although staying in bed all days probably a risk.
Speaker 5: So we always weigh up risk benefit risk how it fits into our lives. And when I'm talking to a client, I say how much does this affect you? What is your worry about this particular thing, and then you can framework a way that you're the person you're talking to can understand how where it sits within their life. Yep. So yes, if you wanted to completely remove your risk of breast cancer as a female, minimizing alcohol's a good idea. Picking your parents well, again, so there's no strong family history of breast cancer, making sure you don't have any of these weird other syndromes that can do it.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I think it's you know that. This is why I think it's useful to have these conversations to soften when if you're just reading the news and you see a headline on that you know, recommendation NA more than six last one a, you think, oh my goodness, stress, stress, stress, And yet it's it's it's worth hearing from someone who's in terms of about the actually understanding risk because the headline will just make you think, oh my goodness, it's catastrophic and.
Speaker 5: It probably turns people off doing anything about it. So what you turn around to say, we know that having a moderate alcohol intake where an elkolon tape will increase your breast cancer. It's roughly around about this frame. See how fits for you? Yeah, been saying six six drinks a year, it's not going to help people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, be keen to hear from you. I mean, are these sorts of things, I mean, how do you approach risk when it comes to negative health outcomes for alcohol? And have you ever changed your drinking habits simply because you thought? You know what I mean? And plenty of people I know have I know people have stopped drinking because they thought, you know, I just realized I was drinking too much, and you know what, I don't miss it. So I'm fine. What motivated you to make a change in it? Was it the fact that the impact on others? I guess eight hundred eighty and eighty. By the way, of course, we have John in the studio to take your calls on anything that's particularly bothering you, and so if you want to get in quickly, then it's always good to pick up the phone right now, because otherwise we get to the end of the show and it's like, well, we've got three calls holding what We're not going to get you to you in time? How genetic you say, pick is one of your one of your life? How much various diseases and let's just focus on various forms of cancer. How much of it is genetic and how much is environmental or do we have a sort of I mean, depends on the cancer.
Speaker 5: Of course, cancer is not one disease. It's a squillian press cancer. It's breast cancer. Pre Minopausal breast cancers are very strong genetic link, very strong familial link. Postmenopausal breast cancer less so so breast cancers and young females. This is a disastrous disease I hated because it normally presents late despite screening and is very difficult to manage.
Speaker 3: Okay, I love to take your calls that they've got a few texts to get cracking with for a start, and this is completely unrelated, but let's get let's get into it. I was put on statins after heart attack. Blood tests show cholesterol down to one point too. Would it be okay to reduce statin dosage?
Speaker 5: It depends if you want to live or die. Up to you. Ok let's talk about what you want, the hard answer, the short answer, you got the short answer.
Speaker 3: Ah, I'm guessing that that coming off them as the if you want to die and staying on them as the you're on them for long term.
Speaker 5: So what we're dealing with here a secondary prevention someone who's had an event and survived it. We know that as low the lower that we can drive your low density life of protein fraction of your cholesterol picture, the less likely you are to have a subsequent event stroke, heart attack. And it's you know, when we started talking about getting your LDLs below two that it's gone to one point eight. Now it's one point six, now it's one point four. Really, the only way you're going to do that is by using these well, what are the commonest ways of doing it is by using a medicine called a stat And there are some newer hum fangle things which are coming out which are going to be even more lipid lowering than the statins. But currently the best thing you can do is use medicines for secondary prevention if you've survived an event, so yeah, my advice would be to stay on the stat.
Speaker 3: Can I just ask one quick question on alcohol and addiction and why people who are alcoholics you just cannot touch it? What is the physical craving or the reaction that happens that means people just you can't touch alcohol because otherwise one sip and your back off it again. You know you've fallen off the wagon. Why Why is it basically abstinence or nothing for people who are alcoholic.
Speaker 5: Because controlled drinking is really hard to do because alcohol dis inhibits. So as soon as yeah, sort of alcohol plays havoc, the only organ alcohol doesn't play heivoc with is your kidneys. Alcoholic style with beautiful kidneys, absolutely pristine. Really, yeah, the rest of your bodies?
Speaker 3: Why why why the kidneys?
Speaker 5: Liver gets stuffed, pancreas gets stuffed, heart gets stuffed, brain gets stuffy. Stuff. He just struck on making weak brilliant. Wow, So one drink is always too much and never enough. Okay, that's the thing.
Speaker 3: Okay, I've had a few people ask me for that article, and I'll look. I'll try and find the link to that one so you can all read it, because headlines are one thing. Reading It is actually quite useful. And after I read it, I thought, oh gosh, it's not as catastrophic as I thought, because I was about to say with my wife, put that glass one down, I'll drink it for you and give it to me. Somebody's got to do it.
Speaker 5: I'll take one for the fun out.
Speaker 3: All right, let's take some calls, shall we? Twenty past twenty past four? Fell? Hello, good, we've got good things.
Speaker 2: And get to your guests there as well. Yes, John, Yes, and John? And how are you who going?
Speaker 3: Well? Good? Right, let's get into it. What's your question?
Speaker 2: Okay? Oh well, it's not so much a question. I just sort of wanted to bring up and give my experience about alcohol because I I'm a heavy drinker and I'm trying to I'm trying to ease it back, and I am easing it back. I did give it up for a month and a half at one stage because I ended up losing my job through through the drinker, and before that happened, I was trying to prove that I was an alcoholic, that I could go without a certain amount of time for a drink. I hope that it's kind of relevant because you just said I'm about bringing up to say what made you danger behavior?
Speaker 5: You have?
Speaker 3: You have?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 3: Have you stopped drinking? Where are you at.
Speaker 2: Not stop drinking? And I haven't managed the stop drinking and I don't know if whatever will because I'm caught. And that you could say it's denial too, because it sounds like classical denial of being an alcoholic, because it's the sort of thing, is that thing an alcoholic would say. But I still believe that I am not an alcoholic. I know I've had a drinking problem in the past and up until now, and I've had suffered over the last a number of years with depression, and there was a time when I was suicidal when I thought, well, one of the ways I'm going to do this is I'm going to drink myself to death because I like the drink as well. That's the other thing. But I've changed that sort of I've got help and getting help luck enough to be getting help to decide through a psychologist. So I've changed that way of thinking. So that's I don't want to do that anymore because I've always and I've always believed too in my in my mind, I've always known that there is never at the bottom of a bottle, you know. The answer has got to be to come right is to be with yourself and find.
Speaker 3: So it's like you're trying to talk yourself back towards abstinence. Phil Johnny, I'll just bring john in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but it's very hard. It's making that step. One of the things, as you're saying, I've got a problem with alcohol, When you've got a problem with alcohol, it's that the next step is the first step is understanding that, but not just understanding it, but taking the next step, which is to say I need to remove alcohol from my life. That's a bigger step. Otherwise you're giving yourself permission to continue with the behavior that's hurting you and it gets really tough.
Speaker 3: It does sound like fels on that sort of zone where he's accepted he's got a problem. He's trying to he's pretending. He tells me he knows when he tells himself that he doesn't. But he knows.
Speaker 5: He doesn't want to do anything.
Speaker 3: So don't want to do anything about it. But anyway, good luck with that, fel We've got to keep moving with the cause. But well, first we'll be back after the break. It is twenty three and a half past four, is feeling down?
Speaker 7: Make you's welcome back to News Talks as we can collective the health up with John Cameron as my guest, Doctor John Cameron not to be mistaken with doctor John the New Orleans jazz artist.
Speaker 3: But I don't know, maybe you can play the piano, John anyway, talking about any questions you've got. But we did start the start the conversation around drinking issues and alcohol and you know your decisions around if you've ever changed your alcohol consumption habits, right Helga, Hello.
Speaker 8: Oh hello, how are you good?
Speaker 3: Thanks?
Speaker 8: I'm not ringing about myself because I don't drink. I've got a granddaughter. And whilst I wanted to ask you what's nati dudes, because she ended up two months ago completely getting it pancreas removed.
Speaker 5: Okay, of course of alcohol, would that be? It could well be so, yep, the alcohol is the direct tos into the pancreas. Oh really, there are other causes. There are other potential causes for pancreatitis or information of the pancreas and the teenager. It would be unusual. There's more like to be one of the other causes and people in middle years. Yes, it's one of the one of the major causes of pancreatitis.
Speaker 8: Oh wow, that's serious. She is rust and put on more theme.
Speaker 5: How's she doing that?
Speaker 8: I'll never drink again? But she said, I'm never drinking again.
Speaker 5: Sometimes it takes that, doesn't It Just a wake up call, which is makes you start thinking about the behaviors that you're doing and the cost to you and to your future. And so hey, look if she's had that wake up call, taking it on board and taking care of that problem, sweet as that's great.
Speaker 8: Oh, thank you very much.
Speaker 5: I should be very proud of her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Tom, Hello, good.
Speaker 9: Happening, sir. You said any question ahead.
Speaker 3: Finish health related but you know well, yes.
Speaker 9: Yes, the hipocratic. My son's lar krying to get his last exam form being anesthetist. I don't think he put I don't think he put a sticky on me. I've asked him for a reference and he totally refuses because he says he'd get sacked.
Speaker 5: That's a very hard job to do in the caesiology.
Speaker 9: Uh reference, a simple reference, nothing technical.
Speaker 5: Sorry, I'm just missing what you're after. Mate?
Speaker 9: Oh is my phone going for music?
Speaker 6: Shure?
Speaker 9: I tried to say, a simple reference, nothing technical.
Speaker 3: So what what?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 3: What would you like a reference to that?
Speaker 9: I'm not stupid.
Speaker 3: On what subject?
Speaker 9: The subject is shooting all my family shooters. My son shot the one I'm I'm shot his first person when he was eight.
Speaker 3: Okay, by the time, I think this is sort of unrelated, so I might we might just move on to Ray.
Speaker 10: Hello, gooday doctor Cameron?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Hi?
Speaker 10: Ray? You're saying how important statins are and that you've got to get the LDL down as low as possible right.
Speaker 5: For secondary prevention.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, What do you say to the doctors on videos that I've seen who are adamant that that calestola is not the enemy, that we shouldn't be taking statins, and that inflammation is the problem, not cholesterol.
Speaker 5: I agree that inflammation is a problem. But when you see there's a direct correlation between your LDL levels and the risk of future CURRENTY events, that data is pretty strong and pretty solid. And you talk to any cardiologist in the town, I'm sure they will say the same thing. So you'll always find people who are finding other theories and things. Look to the evidence behind it. And when I'm talking to people, whether on the radio or in my surgery, I try and bring the best knowledge that I can that's got the best evidence behind it. The evidence that I can see for the use of bringing your LDL levels down is incredibly strong.
Speaker 10: Yeah, well that's what my doctors telling me to do as well. But I've just seen so many videos from I presume reputable doctors on YouTube.
Speaker 5: There are no reputable doctors on YouTube. Sorry, move on, don't trust YouTube.
Speaker 10: Mate, But not even if it's a reputable doctor on YouTube, Wow.
Speaker 5: I find reputable. Sorry, it's it's anyone can go on YouTube and an MD after the name or NBC HB after the name and spout where the evidences is where it really matters, Mate. I would trust my cardiologist rather than my.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there are there are people who who've yeah, who are doctors, who've got some peculiar views on things and not necessarily end up always being doctors. But while they're on YouTube, you know, they can put it up. Just be cynical about the stuff that you see on YouTube or regardless of what someone's qualifications are. Right, That's that's where we're up to. So twenty eight minutes to five, Jeff, Hello.
Speaker 9: There go mate.
Speaker 6: I'd just like to say people who drink and drive are totally disgusting. I've been involved with two incidents, and once when I was a security officer in Tara and a guy and I was on a corner of eleventh and Cameron Roade and a guy went right straight through a stop sign, red light, went down to the next one, hit a car, rolled the car over, the baby went out the window and was decapitated, et cetera. Now, when the police turned up, they breath tested him and he was he was well, so far over the limit it wasn't funny. I've been to the RSA club and and she says to me, oh, his wife said to me, I should have driven, mate, and I said, yeah, well you should have done lady, because I said, you've just killed those people's baby.
Speaker 5: Yea, it's horrible and all horrible jocking.
Speaker 6: I was absolutely so. People who drink and drive mote, I've got absolutely no time for and the next incident that ever happened to me or was supposed to meet over.
Speaker 3: Actually, Jeff, I think we've we've made the point drinking and driving is bad. But I don't want to I don't want this show at three at four thirty in the afternoon to be filled with the stories of woe and sort of explicit details on what happens. We're trying to address the health, so if anyone wants to share anything it's too gruesome, we might not continue with those calls.
Speaker 5: Let's bring enough. I think I think people are changing their habits of alcohol and driving. Yeah, I think it's finally getting through. It hasn't got through completely, but we're are very much more careful with how we manage drinking and driving these days. Overall, there are still instances, but overall, I think we're doing all a lot better.
Speaker 3: Yeah. In fact, you know, people worry everyone worries about the future generations and younger people, but I'm not sure that. I mean, there always things to worry about for every generation, but I'm not sure that alcohol's nest. I mean, binge drinking is one thing, of course, but I'm not sure that today's youth are going to be particularly at more RISKU or anything. In fact, I've seen a few things which are indicating maybe they're not drinking as much as their earlier generations.
Speaker 5: I think our behavior is our society is changing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's just an expression, Eric view, an expression of hope. And somebody's basically saying and yet just having a crack at me saying constantly looking up Google. Well, I'm reasonably good at picking my sources for Google, and I avoid anything, by the way, where the website has the name truth in the title. That's always as a bit of a red flag for me. Twenty five minutes to five, Peter Halloe.
Speaker 11: Oh it's big. I've got a friend that's been in hospital for a couple of years under mental health and she went in at seventy kilos and now she's one hundred and thirty and she might be coming out in six months time. Now, she's getting read really depressed about her weight. And I can't understand how you go into hospital and eat the hospital food and you almost double your weight in two years.
Speaker 5: I don't know enough about this to comment. Some of the medicines that we use in psychiatric medicines have a really nasty habit of putting on weight gain, and they do it quite excessively. So whether it's the actual food, whether it's the way it's working, whether it's secondary to the medications that have been used for your friend, there's a lot of factors in there. And also, once again, you've got to pick what's the most important thing to get somebody well. And if the first thing is controlling their disorted thought process, then sometimes you have to put up with some weight gain if the medicines have caused that. So I wouldn't be too down on either your friend or the hospital situation in that matter.
Speaker 11: Yeah, she's doing really well, and I go in and talk to the people, and we've got to go into the gym, and we've got and I'm glad to take her out for a supervised walk for a couple of hours. But she's starting to think now she's going to come out soon and she's doubled her weight and that's done. I mean they can see it, the psychologists and all that people can see it. And I'm you know, I think, you know, you might be right. It's the medication, but surely there's something here that's not. It just doesn't seem fair to me when you go in and yeah.
Speaker 5: Hell, look well done for you for staking in that contact with that individual. I think that is really really amazing to do, because sometimes when people have a psychological unwollness and remove from society, we remove society from them. And so yeah, big ups for this.
Speaker 3: Must be one of the hardest things to deal with if you have a long term illness. It's a sense of isolation you must feel. Must be really tough. Thanks Peter. Twenty three minutes to five News talks a b eight hundred and eighty ten eighty back and a tack. This news talks the ten beverage bunch of cars lined up for John Cameron, who's my guest today for the health up. So let's carry on.
Speaker 12: Hell on, Hello, Yeah, hi, Hi, Kim and doctor John. Now we've got a told them of alcohol in my family and when when I look at the back family tree. There's a rather repetitious array of but there's still as wine brewer, brewers, wine merchants and to Republicans, So I think that might be a bit of a red flag. So I have given I've given it up, but I'm not absolutely totally. I mean, there's a wine tasting or something like that, but I certainly wouldn't I certainly wouldn't buy buy it and take it home with me. I used to sort of get into some binge drinking in my twenties, and my father was quite a violent whiskey drinker, and my brother was just out in mountain. More So, I think I'm being very.
Speaker 5: White here, very well for recognizing it. And there is quite often a very strong familial process. And if you add that in with the liquor industry, oh you're sitting on a powder keg. Well done, well done, good stuff.
Speaker 3: Quick question here. This person says it's a bottle of whiskey a week too much. My husband says he and he has a couple of SIPs a day, but it seems to wear a bottle a week. Many thanks from Sue.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it does depend on size the bottle. I think we're talking about fifty that a week is excessive.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, it is amazing. It goes when you're having good conversation for a few days, when you're staying with friends. I've got a friends asking for really sorry, Oh my gosh, let's carry on.
Speaker 1: Yes allo, yes, hello, good afternoon.
Speaker 9: Hello.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I'm interested in what the doctor says about fetal alcohol syndrome.
Speaker 5: Horrible thing.
Speaker 1: I've been reading about it, and if you I had a grand from who went crazy at school, primary school, and they said that he needed to see the doctor. Well the doctor didn't make any difference apparently, but they found out what feetal alcohols and rhyme did to unborn babies. Now what does the doctor say about it.
Speaker 5: It's a horrible thing. And that's the problem we have is we have no idea what a safe alcohol intake is during pregnancy. And that's why we strongly counsel people if they're planning pregnancy to remove alcohol from their lives.
Speaker 3: That that's the thing that sometimes people have an unplanned pregnancy and they were drinking for the first.
Speaker 5: We just have to just have to run with that. So we try and strongly advise people to be alcohol free drink pregnancy to reduce that risk. The risk is small, but it is that it's measurable and the outcome can be very difficult.
Speaker 3: Okay, right, let's say text more calls Susan, Hello.
Speaker 2: Oh hi, how are you good?
Speaker 3: Thanks good?
Speaker 4: It's good for doctor John about thyroids. And I'm being I'm pretty short the thyroid for a couple of eas now I've.
Speaker 3: Been sorry, sorry, your line's just dropping out there, Susan, say that again. You've been on.
Speaker 7: Loan silent.
Speaker 3: Replacements.
Speaker 4: Yep, yep, okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, and get the blood tet couple of months super which it's now treated my thyroid.
Speaker 3: And I was wondering, Sublin.
Speaker 4: Have another blood taste and yeah, I'm to have another blood taste.
Speaker 11: In a few weeks.
Speaker 4: So I just wonder what does it what?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Okay, So low thyroid hypo thyroidism is really common. It's there's various reasons why it can happen, and it's one of the easiest intochronal ones into chronology ones to fix. We simply give you a replacement. There's two hormones which we can measure, one as a stimulating hormone and the other one is the actual thyroid hormone itself. Now low clinical stuff. You've probably got to rise in your TSH and a low normal T four probably and we're we're actually getting with figures rather than symptoms, so you're not patently clinically low thyroid, but the biochemistry's trying to change. And yeah, it's a very simple thing just to top that up a little bit. Once we get the dose right, we only only measure it once a year and you should be fine from there.
Speaker 3: Okay, hey, thanks for your call. Thanks for your call, Susan. Just quickly, as a GP, I just wondered because you've been doing it for a few years years, but actually when you first come out, when you first started practicing, when you first started practicing as a GP, yeah, how comfortable did you feel doing what you did versus another period a few years later when you're like, I'm on top of this now. Yeah, I mean the journey of Joarney of confidence.
Speaker 5: I talk about a U shaped curve because when you come out of medical school GP, doctor training, hospital training, GP training, you've got a lot of information, but not a lot of knowledge, right, and it can be a bit scary. And then over the years you get into the bottom of the you where you're normally firing really well, and then you get to be like me. As the age is increasing, the knowledge is falling away and you start to become more dangerous. So it's no good. So it's no when to step away before you become too dangerous. So yeah, it's great. And my practice, we've got some really young doctors coming through and they'll come and tap tap on my door and say, I've got this, I've got this. What do you think we should be doing? And I just ask them how they're going to work it through? And it's lovely, and I.
Speaker 3: Say, we're saying in the break, I feel for practitioners who are on their own, because you were saying how you you know, you have a lot of conversations within your practice, which I would imagine in a field of medicine would be essential just to keep that dialogue and another person to go we'll have your thought of this, or oh I hadn't thanks for that, or just sharing the burden of the stress of dealing with people's people's ls.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and we don't always get it right, we don't always know all the answers, but as long as we make sure we have a good safety line in there and make sure we keep the patients and ourselves safe. Then we can normally work things through.
Speaker 3: Right, We're going to come back with more calls. I've got a bunch of text. We'll try and pick the eyes out of some of those before we wrap it up. It is thirteen minutes to five. There are some spear lines there, so we've just got one caller holding. So if you've got something you want to talk to John about, you jump on the blow quickly. Well we shall be able to get to your back in a tack News talks z'd be with Tim Beverage talking taking your course for John Cameron. Sarah.
Speaker 13: Hello, Ah, Hi Tim and John, thank you. I just I got up alcohol about six and a half years ago after reading message is going without a lot of lot of dan box and just haven't looked back so that she was talking to me. But I just want to have about the organs. How long does it take for it to the toxins to actually leave the body?
Speaker 5: Pretty quick?
Speaker 3: We'll give that one to John. Actually I'm the host.
Speaker 5: He's for your Jeezace toxic anyway, don't worry, he's really toxic. Oh look, the actual toxins go away really quick, but it's the damage which they have done. So from a Hart point of view, we think we've got to think called cardio myopathy, where the actual muscle fibers get damaged by alcohol. The pancrash, you get inflammation in the pancras and you get scar tissue. For me on there, the liver, if you're really pushing it out, you're going to end up with cirrhosis where the structural processes within the liver, the scaffolding that the liver cell sit on, gets damaged, and therefore the liver doesn't work so well. So those are the sort of things if you're pushing alcohol, they don't tend to come back well, but the actual acute toxic effect of the alcohol within a couple of days, you're well on the way to getting rid of those.
Speaker 13: Okay, I just wanted to know about the organs. I got told that the other day that it takes about six years.
Speaker 9: I knew.
Speaker 13: I knew instantly, you know, within six months to a year, I felt much better about it. It's cool, yeah, no, and then yeah, he really involved with AA at the moment. So it's just well done for those out there. That are looking for something, just give it a go, you know. Just we're not too much of a mad bunch.
Speaker 9: We laugh a lot.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, we're a good supportive cruise.
Speaker 5: So the most important thing is recognizing you may have the problem and putting your hand up. If you try and do it on your own, you were going to fall flat on your face and fail, absolutely guaranteed.
Speaker 3: Thanks Sarah, good stuff. I always think with I mean, I've spoken with a few people like that, and it's andy. You can easily think too far ahead about what if I go dowck on what'salon this and this and this and this. It's like, you know what, just pick up the phone or head out the door and just put one foot in front of the other and walk on the door. And from what I've heard, it's fine, it's great. It's just those just take the simple steps. Don't imagine the whole journey.
Speaker 5: But the other thing is recognizing the problem isn't with other people around me. The problem is within me, and I have to give up that ownership of it to other people to help me get the sink sort of right.
Speaker 3: Bearyl, good good.
Speaker 14: Afternoon, Hello Tim and John, Hello dtr John and doctor John, I want to put to bed and old what maybe an old wife's tale. But I've heard other people tell me just as well because their mother's told them. When I grew up, if we had a boil or anything that was sort of an infectious in the system, my mother, like many mothers, would say, you know, boil up some parsley and that cleans out the blood. Now we know that party is good for iron, but is it true or not true that? And I don't wish it to be an unfair question to you, but from what you know, does party actually clean the blood out and help you to get either having a boil or a skin on sexture?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 5: Not to my knowledge, Okay, I can't. I can't remember any scientific papers on it, so I don't know about it. But it doesn't seem to make sense. Boils are normally caused by an infective agent, normally staphlococcasaureus and passed down forty You.
Speaker 3: Won't kill that, Okay, that's a no. Not to my knowledge is such a nice way of going I would have I was just wain if you go no, But thank you Beryl's here's a few texts. Can your liver with cirrhosis ever recover.
Speaker 5: Once the structure is damaged. No, but the liver can still function. Stop hitting it with alcohol and you may be able to make it last as long as you want it to.
Speaker 3: Okay, what's best to help me sleep? A small glass of wine with my meal or a quarter of a zopper Clone thanks?
Speaker 5: Neither good sleep.
Speaker 3: I've never I mean, I have a colleague of was to a friend of mine who's saying he took a zopper Clone and I was think, gosh, what are you taking zopperclone for. I've never taken a sleeping tabin in my life, even if I'm in a bad nights sleep, because I just have the suspicion that it's a slippery slope of reliance.
Speaker 5: It can be. Yeah, so try and avoid those sleeping ones. If you're doing it, you do it for a short period of time to re establish a seat sleep pattern and stop.
Speaker 3: Actually, somebody's asked a question I'll paraphrase it about having to get up in the middle of the night to go to the peak to get to pee, and sometimes sleeping like a baby when nothing's changed. You're in fluid in take hasn't changed. Why are some nights you're up and then the night's just when you're out to the count.
Speaker 5: It's because God's a horrible woman. She gives me in this prostate gland. And it happens to all men that they start to have prosthetic enlargement and better outflowbstruction and sometimes it'll just flick off during the night.
Speaker 3: Here's just a story of change here, Hi, Tim and John. I recently gave up alcohol because one gin and night was a trigger for ongoing reflux. By giving up drink, I was able to give up the emet presole brilliant that I had to take to manage the reflux. I feel so much better because of the change. Bingo good news story.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, And some people don't realize it's the alcohol that's causing all those problems guest writers common from alcohol.
Speaker 3: Actually, we probably just we've only got about a minute to go. But I guess the thing is, what would be Is there any way of quickly say what are the questions you should ask yourself if you if there is a potential problem with alcohol. I guess if you're asking yourself the question, you probably have a problem, do you.
Speaker 5: One of the things I'd suggested is to ask other people around you do you think do you see me having a problem with my drinking? Because they will give you an object of view if they say you're something that's worrying me. Man, Yes, you've got a problem. You need to address it.
Speaker 3: And if one of those if you're intimidating personality, you need to give them permission to be completely honest. Absolutely, yeah. I won't hold this against you. Please be honest. Yeah, good stuff. Hey, when's the next trip?
Speaker 10: Trip?
Speaker 5: Nick Cricket? Trip is January next year?
Speaker 3: You're going on holiday somewhere.
Speaker 5: Then maybe and Zimbabwe?
Speaker 3: Are you a sunny sort of holiday guy? Do you like to go to that skiing instead?
Speaker 5: I like to sit in the sun.
Speaker 3: He's just stunning himself on a rock somewhere. What a side? No no for that project. Joe stuff, John, I thanks so much. Great Tavy in the studio as always, that's doctor John Cameron. We'll be back with Amanda Morale is next talking about is it a personality type when you're good with money or can you actually do something about it? I e one hundred and eighty ten eighty back shortly for more from the Weekend Collective. Listen live to News talk sed be weekends from three pm, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.