Speaker 1: Kiota. I'm Chelsea Daniels and this is the Front Page, a daily podcast presented by the New Zealand Herald. On July twenty sixth, nineteen eighty four, David Longe was sworn in as the thirty second Prime Minister of New Zealand. His ascension into the country's top job came after Robert Muldoon's infamous snap election ended his nine years in power. Best remembered for enshrining New Zealand's nuclear free status, longee also oversaw controversial economic policies that ultimately divided his caucus and saw his time on the Ninth Flow only last five years. With this Ruby Jubilee, prompting reflections on Longy's leadership and the legacy of the Fourth Labor Government today on the front Page, where Joe By, one of the few journalists who was there at the time and is still working today, Newstalk's had be senior political correspondent Barry Soaper. Barry, let's start with an ending. A large part of the myth of Muldoon is how it all ended with the snap election. I understand you actually got a concession out of him before the polling booths had actually even opened.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: Was fascinating because that particular election campaign was for Muldoon, one of being off a space most of the time. And when it came to the final address in Auckland, I said to Muldoon as he was making his way in, can I have an interview with you? And he said yep. I got up to his room an hour after he had finished speaking, was shown in and here was this little man slumped in a chair with a bottle of red wine lying on its side, looking disheveled. And I Ginia reflected with a microphone in front of him and said, mister Muldourn, do you think you've won the election? And Muldourn shook his head from side to side, and I said to him prime and as the this is radio, you've got to talk. Do you think you've won the election? He said, And I couldn't believe my ears. This is on the Thursday night before the poll, so he had conceded defeat essentially on that night. The rest of the media had discarded his address because it was like many of the others he had given during the campaign, and went to the pub. And by the time I got to the pub very late, I told them that I had a scoop and that Muldoern had conceded defeat David Longi, and they couldn't believe it. Muldourn called a news conference at eight o'clock the next morning, I think it was so he soved up pretty quickly. He was on the airwaves with the interview that I had with him and denied all knowledge of it, said that he was taken out of context, and of course he wasn't. The question was quite simple. Have you won the election?
Speaker 1: He said, nap, after nine years in power where he had never won the popular vote. Was the country just sick of Muldoon by then?
Speaker 3: Oh? I think absolutely they were tired of Muldourn. And I don't think the country appreciated economically just how bad it was. I mean, we lived what I would say in an ice box. Everything was frozen. Wages were frozen, prices were frozen, interest rates were frozen. You know, something had to give. You'll remember that, Rob Muldourn. He stayed on an office for several days after the election, essentially refusing to vacate the Prime Minister's cheer, while embassies around the world were being asked how much cash reserves did they have. And meanwhile you had David Longi who wanted to call in the IMF and other world bodies who essentially put New Zealand and receivership. He decided against that on advice, fortunately, and we survived, but survived through very difficult times in the new government.
Speaker 4: That doesn't give you much time to run up to an election, prom Minister.
Speaker 5: Doesn't give my apparish much time to run up to an election, does it. There is no way mister Longey could have had enough members in the House to govern the country. This is really what I thought about, that he's a buffoon.
Speaker 1: July nineteen eighty four saw the country vote for change in the form of David Longie. What are some of your earliest memories of him?
Speaker 3: Well, I remember very early on when David Longy got into Parliament. He used to wear this big brown suit. He had relatively long, lank black here and he wore these very heavy rimmed glasses. And I remember going to a party that long he was at and he was at that stage backbencher in Parliament, and he looked rather forlorn and lonely sitting in the background, and I went over and had a chat to him and realized that this man was extraordinarily clever, had a great way with words, and little did I know that not too long later he would be the Prime Minister of Museum.
Speaker 1: Given there was this snap election, was Labor actually prepared to take power.
Speaker 3: I don't think they really had appreciated just how serious the finances of the country were in eighty four. After the snap election, the country really was and completely dire strait and something had to be done. So Roger Douglas came in, because you remember Rob Muldern sat in the Prime Minister's office refusing to devalue the dollar, and that was the big argument at the time that the dollar needed to be devalued, it was too high, and eventually that was the valued. But of course that opened up all sorts of problems. For example, mortgage interest rates had gone from the cap put on them by Rob Muldoon of nine for the first mortgage and eleven percent for the second as high as twenty two percent. So people really that might have been struggling in nineteen eighty four, they were in dire strait. After the Roger Douglas David Longey government.
Speaker 1: Came into power, what was it like after those Muldoon years Barry, which are generally noted in the history books as being a bit grim politically and socially. Did Longie inherit a mess to clean up.
Speaker 3: Of a bigger mess than I think we've ever seen, well, certainly than I've ever seen in this country. There were all sorts of things going on as well, because our foreign policy Labor Party had gone into that election, the snap election, on the anti nuclear stance, and George Schultz, the Secretary of State for Ronald Reagan, had happened to be in town in the following week and he met with David Longe, and I think it was made known to him quite clearly that New Zealand was going to be anti nuclears. So the American visits of their warships into our ports were banned, along with a number of other things, and even propulsion was banned, even though David Longe was a bit softer on that, and the suggestion news that when he had that chat with George Schultz, he said, give me six months and we can sort through the idea that propelled ships would not be allowed in port. But then that furned up with the likes of Margaret Wilson, who later became Speaker but was the president of the party at the time. They weren't prepared to live with that. So essentially it was not just a financial issue that the new Labor government had to clean up. It was also the international foreign policy issue that David Longie had to go on the I'm pulled off.
Speaker 1: Well, when people think of Longie, they do think of that nuclear Free New Zealand part hey in particular that Oxford University debate. Would you agree that's probably the core part of his legacy.
Speaker 3: Well, I think one thing that will be remembered. Certainly David Longiy will be remembered for that. His performance was amazing. But it was not surprising to some of us that knew that David Longi had such a quick wit. I mean, here was debating Jerry Poulwall and won the debate not surprisingly. But when one of the young Oxford University students got up to challenge Longie.
Speaker 6: What I should like to know, sir, is why you don't pull out of the Answers alliance for whether you are snuggling up to the bomb or living in the peaceful shadow of the bomb. New Zealand benefits, sir. And that's the question with which we would like an answer, sir, and I'm going to give it to you.
Speaker 4: If you hold your breath for a moment, make it smell the uranium moment as you leave you.
Speaker 3: If it was a moment. I think eached in New Zealand's history that David Longe was not just a good orator, but a superb one. And I do remember one incident of how Quickie was. So I remember a reporter yelling out to David longee in his way into a caucus meeting Prime minister. Prime minister a word, and Longe looked at him and said, wombat and walked into the caucus.
Speaker 1: The other key bit of legislation would be the economic reforms that came to be known as Roger nomics. Can you briefly explain what that actually was and why it was so controversial?
Speaker 3: Well, it was controversial because, like I said earlier, you know, we saw interest rates shooting through the roof, We saw New Zealand having to borrow the way that never borrowed before, and the country was generally in a pretty poor state in terms of the fact that we had been living in an ice box and the ice had to thaw. So those early years of the Longe government were really tough, although people didn't know what they had in store for them. They got back in in eighty seven and that's when everything started. That's when they started the asset sales program that was basically deshore up what were the books that had failed, and they sold off a number of state assets. And in that eighty seven period, of course, we had the falling out very publicly with David Longe and Roger Douglas, ending in David Longe's resignation and the succession of first of all Jeffrey Palmer and then Mike Moore as the Prime Minister.
Speaker 1: The Herald this week resurfaced an interview from our colleague Audrey Young. She did it with Longie in two thousand and four, just before his death. Asked about taking heat from the left and the right of the political spectrum, Longi responded with, this is the difficulty about talking about it without sounding big headed. But you cannot speak of New Zealand now without my involvement in what it has become. My judgment of that is that it is change for the better, and my instinct tells me that if it hadn't been for our administration, there would have been calamity after calamity. What's your response to that, Well, I think there.
Speaker 3: Were two aspects to that comment, but certainly you can't talk about New Zealand without thinking about David Longie and that comes down and it's still enduring. Of course, is the anti nuclear stance. But the other thing I think is probably more important was the foundations that Roger Douglas made for the economy in New Zealand. Now those foundation stones have never been shifted by success of government, and that's more than forty years on and I think that's the most important lasting legacy, although the anti nuclear thing probably engages more New Zealanders.
Speaker 1: Finally, Barry, do you think David Longie was a good prime minister.
Speaker 3: I think the combination of David Longee and Roger Tuglas tackled what was a very difficult situation and it was essential that the issues of the day were tackled in the way they were. As a good prime minister, I think David long was not a great leader of his cabinet because there were faction and throughout his leadership, ending with of course him standing down. And even then Longe had a good turn of phrase. I remember him sitting on the stage with Jeffrey Palmer and Jeffrey was singing David Longy's praises and Longe looks at Jeffrey and said, Jeffrey changed my mind. And of course that had everybody rolling with laughter. So he had a great sense of humor. But as a Prime minister and as a leader of his own people in cabinet, I don't think he was certainly anywhere near the best that I've seen my time there.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us, Barry, to further discuss David Longie and the Fourth Labor Government's legacy. We're joined now by Victoria University of Wellington politics professor Lara Grieves and started by putting that Longy quote to her as well. I should note Lara's pet roosters make a few appearances.
Speaker 2: I mean, twenty years have obviously gone by since that quote, and if we were to reassess that and kind of look at the way that different prime ministers and finance ministers since then have positioned themselves, they've kind of copied his lead. So thinking about Ruth Richardson and Bolger and all of them who came after him, they've kind of said the same sort of thing about their legacies and that they also said that they were facing a financial crisis, and Longie definitely faced a financial and constitutional crisis. I think it's kind of a way that politicians position their legacy because we never can really know what would have happened if say Muldoon hadn't called the snap election, would have happened to say Bill English was Prime Minister during COVID. We can't know those sorts of things. So I think in hindsight you can say, well, actually I saved us. But you know, I think a lot of people will be more critical, especially in the twenty years that have passed.
Speaker 1: We spoke to Newstalks at Bees Barry So but he didn't think David Longi was a great leader of his party or his cabinet due to some factions. Would you agree with that.
Speaker 2: He's a really interesting figure, right because he was clearly charismatic. He clearly had that presidential type quality. Most key we seem to have a story about, like seeing him bumping into him and being good one on one. Most people have seen his quips, seen like his fluidity and debates and in media interviews. So he's a liked, beloved figure. But when it comes to politics, it's not just the razzle dazzle, the baby cacussing. There's also a component of being in government, being the prime minister, as in the primary minister, who has to run cabinet, who has to keep a cabinet and a party together. And I think there are real criticisms of his leadership. From the left, we see criticisms that he did let Roger Douglas kind of go down his own ideological pathway and perhaps Longie didn't have those people management skills. And from the right, you know, his potentially criticizes not having that substantive policy direction himself. I mean, I guess that's a left wing criticism too, But there's definitely ways that you can critique him and critique his record.
Speaker 1: What do you think David Longee's legacy is. Is it just the nuclear, free energy and rogenomics?
Speaker 2: Well, I think that when we teach New Zealand politics, we often pull up Michael Joseph Savage and the creation of the welfare state. The second thing we bring up is the fourth labor government, and rogenomics, the neo liberalism and David Longee and we always play the uranium on your brief that clip. We always play that, that's what we do, that's what we fundamentally teach. There go, there's the first year class. But the other thing that I think is often overlooked as well as Longi's role in MMP, which was more incidental than anything mistaking and then promising a referendum, but part of that government. I mean, one of the things that we can see today and their legacy is that we do have the immunp system. And I've been studying electoral reform around the world and looking at different countries and it's really hard to get across the line. So that's been I think a bit of an incidental legacy of that government. One of the things I have to say is someone who's written a bit on policy history as well, is they did get some sort of landmark policy work underway, like the Royal Commission on Social Policy, which is this giant break of a thing, but to me, it represents one of the most well researched, most considered, most consulted on policy reports ever in our history. So there are pieces of work like that that that government did as well that are potentially overlooked but actually hold up well to history when you read them.
Speaker 4: Now, he had skills that were incredible. Really. I remember taking a report to him one day, four pages and he gets a report and you go, oh, that looks all right, I wrote, and I thought you have read that. You can't have, so I thought, I'll ask you a question, but well, you know, I put it nicely.
Speaker 1: Damn well, you're a bit of night you know. Do you think we'll ever see that kind of chalk and cheese type relationship between a prime minister and a finance minister every gain?
Speaker 2: Perhaps not so much because of MNP, and because like what used to happen as Labor and National had to be these broad churches, so they had to bring in varied people on the left and very people on the right to some extent, whereas now we have minor parties. So if someone does have a different economic view, you know, there's many options on the right. If someone has a different economic view on the left, there's many options. They can go to the Greens, they can perhaps go to Spartimadi, depending on who they are. You know that there's other options there for them. So it's I think I'm likely to see that again, partially because of our electoral system now that you have these parties are less broad tense. We also see as well in New Zealand politics, our political parties tend to have become a bit more I guess whipped, or a bit more kind of in behind the leader in a way, and you have a lot less kind of independence and a lot less sort of backbenches and people within cabinet because of you know, changes around MP speaking out against their leader. So I would say that we're probably not going to get that kind of politics again unless there is some kind of other substantive change there.
Speaker 1: Do you think David Longie's enduring popularity is warranted?
Speaker 2: I think so. I think that, you know, so much of our politics now is about what Raymond Miller is called the presidentialization of New Zealand politics. We have that cultive leadership culture, personality type idea, and in this case, David long is one of the big ones who was a real character. He had that good kind of ability that I think is important in New Zealand politics. You got to take the pest out of yourself a bit, you know, you had that in space. You had that charisma, being able to connect to people one on one, and you think that that kind of character, whether you like the substantive policies that they put in place or didn't, I think that celebrity part of politics. He really does have that down and that long term likability, that long term liked political figure.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us, Lara. That said, for this episode of the Front Page, you can read more about today's stories and extensive news coverage at enzidherld dot co dot nz. The Front Page is produced by Ethan Sills and sound engineer Patti Fox. I'm Chelsea Daniels. Subscribe to the Front Page on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts, and tune in on Monday for another look behind the headlines.