Speaker 1: There are more ways to wealth with cheers, eas save with a great rate, ensure your car with no worries. We'll join a key we save scheme with real choice. It's your wealth, your way, do more with cheers ease.
Speaker 2: Didn't grow up around wealth. I always feel a little bit okama around it all, because you know, I'm like, oh, can scare me at times in some rooms that I get into sometimes and I go, well, what did you just say?
Speaker 3: We're talking about money? And she was like why a lot of uvids we went through and I was like, thirteen grand one year, that's crazy.
Speaker 4: The idea of investing it isn't about exclusivity, you know, it's about fun and wealth. It's about it's about building wealth for the everyday people.
Speaker 5: Cura Koto, I'm Garth Bray with cheers, eyes more than money, exploring the wealth choices that change us. What's the difference between wealth and riches? Well, three people with a unique perspective on that, Jordan Brook and much a Mark from The Morning Shift, a top rated independent podcast where they're carving out their own financial future. We sent Karl from the Chezeas team along for that cord it all. But first, some important information you should always consider.
Speaker 6: The experience is shared in this episode and not advice or a recommendation or opinion by guests to invest or act in the manner they have. An appearance on the series is not an endorsement by Chas of the views of the presenters or guests. They're not financial experts and their views of their own.
Speaker 7: Carl alson talking what card eating Army, Kitty Cordo or contain their copper.
Speaker 3: Killed it.
Speaker 7: I'm Karl from Chazas and it's a huge honor and privilege to be hanging with in studio with the host so one of the most highest rated podcasts in the chart number one in our hearts, the Morning Shift, and just wanted to introduce brother Brook, Jordan and Mary.
Speaker 3: Thank you great to be here.
Speaker 7: Thanks for having us in your fuddy as well and opening up your doors to us.
Speaker 3: How's it been? How's it been all right? First of all, this is such an exciting conversation. The work we're going to get to do this year. I'm sure we'll get to all of that, but we're just talking the blinking it's over the breaks over. But I do I do think, I don't know if I felt refreshed. The boys can talk for themselves, but I did feel like, you know what, who keeps if I'm not refreshed, Because when you wake up wanting to do something that's awesome and you're lucky enough to do it, just keep rocking on. So that's where I'm at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm I'm I'm on the other side of the moment where I feel locked in for the first time and I can I can hear people to whatever one of those guys, but in my heart of hearts, I feel locked in for the first time in a very long time, which is dope. So outside of work everythings, it's got to take those boxes and I go to bed early, drink heaps of water. What's so far? I'm doing well, eating well, and I'm sure we'll translate into to work. But I'm excited for what I hope and I assume will be a pretty pretty big year for us. So yeah, thanks for us.
Speaker 5: That's me Mark.
Speaker 2: Mark on the other hand, he's been traveling.
Speaker 4: He's yeah, three three weeks and a half weeks in Japan. Has has I'm different now? He brought a Louisit to be Louisait Tom beck as Louis, But no, I'm I am excited for what you know, twenty twenty five brings. And I think for me, after forty three years on this earth, you kind of go through the the I don't know the year and year out, So wow, what am I going to achieve this year?
Speaker 7: What am I not?
Speaker 4: I'm actually just excited to learn this year, Excited to learn new things, see how things are done differently. And I said to the boys on one of the podcasts, something as simple as like the Japanese chewing gum where it comes with the little extra set of post its that you can stick with you and come into it comes within the container, right, just little we tweaks, little we things that I can and hear it through this year and certain them into my life and how I go as things that I'm looking forward to this year.
Speaker 7: But feeling good, awesome, awesome, that's really cool to here, Like, yeah, like the energy that you guys bring to the table, like definitely translates into our environment. And yeah, we've kicked off.
Speaker 3: Quite busy as well.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, Seeing the purpose of today was to catch up about more than money. As the copropper and just wanted to talk to you all about money and wealth and what it means to each of you, exploring choices that change us. When you hear the word wealth, I mean, I think that still hits a bit different for many people because it means different things to everyone. What does it mean to you and how do you bring that to life?
Speaker 2: Didn't grow up around wealth, didn't grow up around conversations where money was a top of conversation around the table, And so as you get older and you learn a bit, and I always feel a little bit around it all because you know, I'm like, am I allowed to say what I'm doing? Or I'll be honest pretty broke this week, or you know, I always just feel one day I feel like this, the next day I feel like that about money, and I don't think I'm outside normal with a lot of people. Feeling like that can scare me at times in some rooms that I get into sometimes and I go, well, what did you just say?
Speaker 3: Yeahs John, you know, like, so it was good with money, It was very very good with money.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm welcoming so much to so many different people, but I just didn't grow up around it. So I'm loving learning more about it. But I wish I learned more about it. When I was younger.
Speaker 3: I had a dad that was very frugal, and I had a mum that was extremely generous. You know, I grew up in ministry, like I'm a pastors kid, and like a lot of our opportunities for wealth was to impact you know, someone that just needed at that time. You know, that was a sense of wealth or being able to see that. And then there's the other part of me that I didn't learn how to value money. I guess that when I got it, I wanted to spend it, you know, I wanted to be out there. I wanted to buy the things. And fast forward to now, it's probably finally I'm going Wealth to me is I want to be able to be in a great relationship and a home where his love, where bills can be paid, where there's money for rainy day. We have the flexibility to travel and do what we can, but there's food on the table, and also there's I guess there's something for emergencies, is something for laid down the track. But I've never been one of those people that I want it all, Like I honestly feel like if you gave me ten million, tomorrow, I'd probably find a way to get rid of it all by the time, I like, can I have that back? But my TiO Mark, what do you reckon?
Speaker 4: Thank you Jordan, I may in fact be your exact opposite, like I do want it all. Like I'm like, you know, like why not yea, why not me? I mean, I shouldn't be in the position I am from where I came from, and I feel like, why not keep pushing and have it all now? Car of the interesting thing for me was the first time I ever heard the word wealth. And I've loved the NFL for so many years, right like I've been a fan. I was watching the NFL way back in high school. I say, way back in high school, that's how old I am. But I remember somebody saying to me, and I can't remember who it was now, but they said, the difference between being rich and having wealth is perfectly displayed in the NFL. The franchise player he's rich. He's the guy that's that's driving the cool cars, that's wearing all the cool clothes and the chains and what have you. The owner of the team that's wealth. That's somebody who has the ability to who's you know, he's not going out of business anytime soon, whereas because he's invested in stuff he's got, you know, his investment is in this team and this player isn't it. And he's using his money to then get fans to come to the game and buy food and all this kind of stuff goes back into his his back pocket, which is that's an owner. That's the well, that's where wealth is now, whether or not you'd and I know that there's a whole ugly side to the ownership model in the NFL because it can look you know, it looks horrendous at times, considering some of these players play through injuries and blah blah blah blah. But that's the difference. That was the first time I saw the difference between someone who was wealthy and someone who was rich. And wealth doesn't go away. So how do I then create wealth? How do I give myself the best opportunity to be an owner rather than having to go to work every day and and and you know work work for somebody else's back pocket. Yeah, I want to be I do want to be in that wealth conversation.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I love that quarteror I mean, like I share a similar bringing born and reason put you to four man given them re all fathers. Now, how's that shifted conversations in and amongst your own immediate fund and then kind of expanding that out to the water to the water fund?
Speaker 3: Or how is that kind of played up for you?
Speaker 4: You know what, I don't what I am. And even it even was displayed slightly just before we got to that question, right, it was the idea that were brought up and potted or you know, we're not great with money. It's almost known as a badge of honor within our people. And I feel like you know what I mean, like, oh man, you had it worse than he. I had it worse than you. You know, I'm starting from a lowest position than any of us. We do use how hard our upbringing was as a badge of honor and almost an excuse as to why not, why we can't or why we shouldn't be or we aren't at these heights. And that's just an observation for me. Now, my kids don't get that they are super privileged, Like they're in a beautiful home, they have their parents with them, they have people who are open to talking about money, Like how do you embrace like not starting from the absolute lower level is something that I've always thought about because it's been for my journey with money and savings and investment. It's been self taught, it's been self learned. I'm so passionate about making sure that they respect how hard it is to get money before you just get splash it out.
Speaker 2: I always feel like I get nervous with these type of questions. I feel like I got to say the right thing, and honestly, I think with the answer to this, my son's only three. I don't know, I'm still learning. I want him to have everything that I didn't have, but then I had everything, you know, Like, I want him to understand both sides. But this kid has a slide in his bedroom, Builton, Like he's got a like this is like a playground slide in his bedroom that he wakes up and must be nice. But you know, I think, so he has these things, but then at the same time as he gets old, I just want him to understand the value of money, learn about money. But one thing that I do know I will do is I'll put them in sport. I don't know if that's necessarily the recipe, but I know a lot of people who grew up with heaps of money. They didn't play sport, and I just look at them like, fure you guys, douchebag some of you guys. But the ones that did play sport, I don't know what it is about them, But I was saying, it's a blanket rule. But I can talk to them better. I can have easier conversations with them now that they're older and kind of when we're grown up as well. So yeah, my honest answer, and I don't I don't know, and I'm learning on the fly. He guess to the super Michael and no shoes on that I keep him humble working.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think for me, like my life has really changed over the last two and a half years, like since being with my partner. I remember the first time we're talking about money and she was like, how much you buy a lot of uvids? Like we went through and I was like thirteen grand one year, Like it was just that's crazy, it's great, it was ridiculous, Like I was shocking, bro. I was just I was terrible. So now I'll often send her most of the paycheck because until I can get better and learn She's the best steward of money in our relationship. As it as it comes to my kids, I feel like growing up, I just want them to know that they can create any world that yeah, that they choose to. My dad was big on life is all about choices, and I was just the most boring one liner, like just like I was like, yes, I know, bro, I know life. And and now as I am an adult and I find myself, we've got another one on the way. So Congress about thank you. I want them to know, you know, when it comes to money, you can you can generate any world you want to be in. You have access to the most information and it really comes down down to the decisions you make. Yeah, you know. And I think that's for me, like for my kids also not to not to over not to disrespect money, but not to over respect it. Like people that have money and people that have a lot. There's more than just there's more to people. There's more to your life. But I want them to have healthy relationships with it. I want them to understand I actually want to take that emotion out of money in their lives and I want them to see the numbers and I want them to know what compounding interest is and I want them to. I want them to be able to see the long game. I think that's like a huge problem with And I don't like blanketing like our people because what does that even mean? But I do know for a lot of our people it's we're so short sighted. And that's for varying different amount of reasons that are that are solid and that are important. But for me, I want to I want to take the emotion out of money. For me, I don't want them to feel like I'm on my last dollar or I have to have this while I have it now, I'm like, no, automate it, have your systems, build it over time, and just listen to mom.
Speaker 5: She's going to take us to the promised Man.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's nice, hey, shifting it up a bit proud Day one Shifter and Brookie reference scary going out on your own and creating.
Speaker 3: The morning Shift.
Speaker 7: There would have been a big financial decision as well, not only for you individually, but you as a collective.
Speaker 3: We coined the term like when we made our first river for the Warriors actually, and I was like, this is this is spiritual, you know what I mean? And as I've reflected on that, like, whatever your belief system is as you're listening to this, my personal belief is that I really think God's been a part of our path when you look at our story, like leaving where we came from, getting to where we are now. Don't get me wrong, absolute shift Nation, the boys, all of us, our team here. We still have to put in the work. But I just when I always get that question, like do you did you ever think it was going to be what it is?
Speaker 6: For me?
Speaker 3: Honest, I did kind of feel I did kind of think we could get here, and you know, there's some momay back there. The real story is like there's there's heaps of pain from where we came from. But the other side to that is that it had to happen. It had to happen like that what we're doing now, and it feels like all roads have led to this, and to be able to do it as brothers, as friends, like real friends, you know, like we really in each other's lives like that, it is just a huge blessing.
Speaker 4: I remember a moment in my lounge when we were sitting in there and we were at Jordan's pool, like just took the oxygen out of the room by saying, look, if we take this journey with an open heart and a good heart, you know, and we do this with good intention, we can't go wrong. And I would hope nobody's had that same conversation and failed.
Speaker 3: And I just want to say that we are an entertaining platform. But like, if you're listening to this, we don't say it enough. But we've had to bite down on our mouthguard this whole journey and swing and swing at it constantly and work our asses off and be frustrated and be hurt. And we definitely do a good job. But just like let's boosh. But I'm just a firm believer of like if our heart's in the right place and we have good intentions, like who cares, who cares what doesn't go through and what doesn't, Like let's until we get that we literally have no money, like we can tend the Microsoft. I just always believe something good's gonna come. And so you know, when this relationship came across the table, it was actually something that I actually thought back, this is what we were trying to do in our old industry. We were always trying to have aspirational messaging. We were always trying to think about how can we actually help people, how can we have you know, these types of conversations that can actually propel people forward if they choose that's what they want, if they want to lock in. So this is the Cheersas and Morning Shift what we got going on here. It's a real proud moment for us a Mark and Brook and I think there's a real collective feeling at the moment of like, you know, what I've done the short term thing. I want to see something better for myself in the next five to ten years. I want to build, I want to lock and I want to give my environment right, and then this is a money conversation, but all those other decisions a play out become life decisions.
Speaker 4: So it's always it's always felt a little bit exclusive, the idea of investing, in the idea of wealth. It's always felt like an exclusive club that belongs to those who went to Harvard and it was and learned markets. So for and I mean, we've had the opportunity to explore some of the things that Cheesy's offered, right, And it isn't about exclusivity. It's about you know, it's about fun and wealth. It's about it's about building wealth for the everyday people.
Speaker 3: Love it, love it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, just pulling on that, like Cheesy's access to create financial empowerment for everyone. And we want to be at the heart of wealth. And so really excited for what twenty twenty five brings and the relationship and the partnership going forward. And if you do want to hear more about that far, no, just so subscribe to the Morning Shift, keep an air out, and keep an eye out for the podcasts that are coming out. I really respect your time and making that available for us to break bread in this conversation.
Speaker 2: So it mean for us too, because I hope we don't know up much about money as well. So as we're going on this jutniey, hopefully we learn together. We're learning together.
Speaker 3: So all I want is for hopefully hundreds, put us a thousand people there sign up or whatever. I just want them to say. Man, I remember in jan I'm in December now. I don't even recognize myself. I don't even recognize the habits that I used.
Speaker 2: To have and where I can get to.
Speaker 3: I can see a better future for my father. I have a plan. We're moving forward. Like I'm excited about that.
Speaker 6: More than Money is a series about the wealth choices that change us as shares Is grows. We want to be able to provide a space for shared experience that can benefit everyone who wants to grow their wealth, whatever path it takes. Now, you can do more to build wealth on Chase's right alongside your investment portfolio. Log in to check out our new ultra flexible ways to save, including a tax friendly pie option. Explore a Kiwiserver scheme with real choice and control, or check out our discounted car insurance to protect your assets on wheels. It's your wealth, your way on Chasis. Charessa's Investment Management Limited is the issuer of the Chaza's Kiwiserver Scheme. View the lodged product disclosure statement at dub dub dub dot chezys dot nz slash kiservice slash documents