Speaker 1: Inside, therefore getting you closer to the game you love. With Adean Wilson, Anna Stanley and Jenny Woods sowed by News Talk.
Speaker 2: Zeb talk about Blink and You'll miss it. We are approaching the final round of this year's A and Z Premiership. The magazine stars Anna and Adean thereof chasing down every last copy. I think Anna was last seen in Balley a dean scene chasing around the streets of Wellington. But I am here along with super sub again evonn Willering, and we're going to pick apart what has been a very interesting well penultiple round of the A and Z Premiership. Really and I think we should not. Oh and I'll tell what. Will also be talking to Mystic's assistant coach, Rob Wright to see how the season is going for him. We'll talk a little bit of National League Grand Final, and we might just pay a small tribute to a fabulous English player who has announced her retirement. So without further ado, let's get going.
Speaker 3: Inside Bedball on iHeart.
Speaker 2: Radio, season number five for Rob Wright as assistant coach with the Mystics. You must love it, otherwise you wouldn't keep coming back. How do you find it? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I do. I do love it and I can't believe it's this is the fair season i've been here. But yeah, it's a great environment, it's a great place to coach. I've just really it was like the best decision I've ever made. So yeah, real thrilled to be here and hoping to be here more.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Now, Rather, it's been interesting.
Speaker 1: I mean we've obviously is in the past, all good ones, all good ones, but I find it interesting what you bring to the Mystics. I initially thought you were going to be their defensive coach, but I believe you're doing both ends now, Is that correct for a start off?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I am doing. I am doing both ends. Like we we coach both ends during training and we coach both ends across the season, just so just so it doesn't get too stale, like I think, even though we're coaching slightly differently but with the same theme. So I just think it keeps everyone fresh and.
Speaker 3: That's what you want absolutely.
Speaker 1: And the other thing adding to that, like, initially coming from Australia, it was basically one on one defense, but I have noticed that, you know, it is a little bit more about I wouldn't say total space marking, but certainly looking for a ball and flight. And I hear you often saying ball and flight, And it was interesting in the last game played right at the end to your saying get off the body. You know, we want no penalties right now, and I do believe we are getting too many penalties in the game. How do you see the defensive structures without obviously going to secrets.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't have any secrets, but you know I have spent a lot of time into you and work and spending time with you learning, and to me, we do player as you notice, a hybrid type of defense, because I think there's room for how the one on one and some of that more space marking type styles to actually combine, and there's room and room for both of them. But I do agree I think that there's two. There is too many penalties. We really look at penalties every week as a real to see how we're going. And we feel like, in particular the last couple of weeks we've been way too high. So we want to get off the body. We want it to be clean. We want clean lines because one when I reckon your stuff on a body like and I'm talking to the converted here, like you just can't contest stuff. You can't run through stuff, you can't you can't get up in the air, you can't, you can't hedge as well, et cetera, et cetera. So to me, it's that we want we need to tidy keep tiding up the game.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, are you saying that you you think the game is getting rougher?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I do. Yeah, I think the uh and ann. Don't get me wrong. I love a tough contest like and and that doesn't mean that there's not going to be some real big challenges a lot that we need that in the game. But there's some niggle and stuff that and some just some stuff that I don't think accentuates or really highlights how good our game is. They're really good athletes, they're they're quick there, they can get in the air, they're good across the ground, and to me, we want to showcase that. And to may, I think where the umpires are having to get too involved.
Speaker 2: And so how would you start cleaning the game up?
Speaker 4: To me, I think it just comes back to, well, on one, the coaches, it's a priority for the coaches have to go radio. How do we how do we minimize our penalties? Like, because in reality, teams with higher penalties lose more than they win. There's always going to be exceptions to the rule. But to me, like you just go from our success point of view. Do you know if we lower our penalties, we're gonna we keep ourselves in play, we can build pressure, we can we can look for stuff, and you're no good to anyone if you're standing out of play. So I think it's sort of a no brainer. But you know, everyone's different because every coach is going to play a different style, and some coaches might want to play real tight on the body and the look. That's their prerogative, et cetera, et cetera. Even though I do like my one on one, even though we play a hybrid, our one on one is not on the body. It's meant to be off the body because we want to stay in play and be able to contest and run stuff and not not bring the umpire into it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's interesting, Like I guess, well, you also know it's close to Silver Fern squad selection as well, and I know that you know the players must have that in their minds as well, and one thing I found interesting last week's game against the steel Haul for your goalkeeper versus stythe their goalkeeper. And obviously you know, both these players really well. And when we did sort of stats, not that I'm into stats, but having said that, like Hall was penalized seventeen times and Stith was, oh no, Stith twenty one times. And yeah, and I and I say, both these players are better than that. They are better than standing beside their opposition, you know. And I look at that and I go, yeah, we just it just needs to be tweaked and tidy up. And that's why I respect it to you for coming out and saying get off the body, and you say it all the time.
Speaker 3: I hear it all the time.
Speaker 4: And I'm with you one hundred percent on that. Like we think from a penalty count, that's way too high in my opinion from a keeper, because you're right, like if you end up just standing out like when when she's a big menace, and both of them are menaces, like they don't want to be standing out, like you're you're giving away some too much free ball or free shots, and that's what we want to try and limit.
Speaker 2: Is there a team that you that your team considers a dirty team rougher than the others.
Speaker 4: Oh no, no, I don't. I just think there's probably just the nature there's some teams because of the nature of how they defend, they're obviously going to be much more low penalty count than some others. But in reality, I just think across all teams, including ours, sometimes we just got to go, We've just got to tidy that up. We've got to be a little bit more disciplined. Sometimes it's just a discipline thing. We've got to go. You know, you don't need to go for that. You pull pull out of that one because you're just gonna you're not gonna win it. You're gonna you're gonna get ourselves out of play, and then the pressure comes off. So to me, it's just about going from a coaching point of view, how do we tidy up, how do we keep building that discipline, stay and play and win the ball clean.
Speaker 2: Now we see you on the sideline of the Jamaican team, and we've seen that for the last couple of you know, big tournaments. Are you still doing work with them?
Speaker 4: Well, that's a good question. It's sort of been. It's a year by year thing. So at the moment, I haven't had any contact with Jamaica this season around what's what moving forward will look like? So who knows it currently at the moment, I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 2: May be a country, wouldn't they that you know this thing where the World Cup is going to every two years, Well they have the money for that. I mean they you know, they let us down badly a few years back, not not being able to get organized. What was your take on that?
Speaker 4: I was. I was furious because I thought nep On New Zealand were, let's be honest, we're funding a lot of that, and I felt like we did the wrong thing. We I think they're expecting obviously that our very best team that wasn't was never gonna happen, but I don't think we were maybe upfront and up around what was that? And so I think we let down ourselves because then I feel like Netborne New Zealand's going to be very gunshy to get us back because of that, and they probably lost a lot of money over that. And I think they're very diplomatic around how they spoke after that, but I think it was an absolute shambles from our point of view from Jamaica's porn of view.
Speaker 1: Just with regards to the World Champs and Genny alluded to it going every two years.
Speaker 3: How do you feel about that?
Speaker 4: Because I think it's a good idea, because my gut feel is I'm wondering whether World Netbune is thinking does that mean that comm Games, the Comwealth Games is under threat and maybe it's not going to exist anymore, and so we're looking to make sure that there's something in that other to that other period. So and if it goes to every two years and say COMM Games vanishes, it will probably be a better sequencing of the four year cycle because clearly at the moment we've got Conwealth Games one year and then World Champs the very next year. But I also worry about it. Do World Netball not think we're going to get in the Olympics, and so they're trying to also put in a thing to go, oh, well, we're not. We haven't got any Olympics, but we're going to go to Worlds every two years. So I don't know. I think it's a good idea because I don't think there's enough competition in terms of teams being able to get exposed enough. I think if you can only get exposed once every four years, I think we're seeing the top say eight teams getting further and further away from maybe the rest of the team. So I'm not quite sure what the answer to that is, but at the moment, I think it's a good idea. Money is going to clearly been should open. Yeah, a number of countries.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's where I look at it, and I'm going, is it just going to be an elitist competition and where teams that can afford to participate will participate?
Speaker 3: Because already there.
Speaker 1: Are some countries and Tonga is an example of that where they're saying, you know, we're having trouble getting a team together every four years, how are we.
Speaker 3: Going to do it every two years? Yeah?
Speaker 4: And that's a really good it's a really good point, and that we wouldn't want that to occur because otherwise and I think it defeats the purpose ye completely. But do you alwish I knew an answer to that?
Speaker 2: Do you think that we should be in the Olympics?
Speaker 4: I do. I think I think we really need to keep exposing our game to a wider and wider audience. And I think it that might just be a nice leverage to audiences that currently don't see it. And my my thing, my gut feel though, is if it is in the Olympics, I am imagine it might be more the fast five game because of numbers, they might want to keep it down, but I'd prefer it to be the seven A side game. I even though fast, you know, fast fives, fast five, but I do love the seven a side game, and I think that would showcase our athletes in the very best light. And the thing about it, it's such a such a great game. My only thing about netball sometimes I don't think television does it justice. I always think that the speed of the athleticism sometimes doesn't come through on the television. When you're there live, all of a sudden, you go, wow, I look at these it's flying about it. It's amazing.
Speaker 2: I don't know how often I've been when I've been commentating that various things around the world, and people were working on it say I had no idea it was so fast, And I think that's the wake up call. You know. I agree with you. But one thing I do want to ask you is would you like to see more men coaching. I mean, I think you're the only bloke coaching on this in the elite you know area. Would you like to see more men in the game.
Speaker 4: I've always been I've always been gun shy around the men versus women thing, only because I always think you you, if you're good enough, you should get opportunity. But we shouldn't just just because I'm a blow it doesn't mean I should get a gig. I think I have to prove that I'm good enough and show that I'm good enough because and if you and if you do that, well, I don't care if you're a man woman, whatever the opportunity, if it arises, you should have So Yep, I think you should earn. I think everything should be earned.
Speaker 3: Oh, I am so with you on that one.
Speaker 2: Now you were head coach, I think a few years ago at the Magpies. Would you ever go back to being a head coach or those days done?
Speaker 4: Oh no, I just if the if the right opportunity came. Yeah. Absolutely. But currently at the moment, like the organization, I'm in the environment, I'm in the players i'm working with, and it allows me currently to do the international stuff because I really did want to get into international netball, and I felt because I do spend well so far, I've often been spending say three or four months in Jamaica a year, and I felt like, if you're a head coach, I wouldn't be able to do that justice and do both roles. So that's why I hadn't put my hand up for any of the head coach role. Because I did. I want to maintain that. Whether that continues, we'll see.
Speaker 2: Well now I've got to get back on track. Big game. No, but well no, because I steered you off track. Big game this Sunday against the Tactics. You're after the three peete. Can you do it? Can you get the home final? Oh?
Speaker 4: Look, if we play really well, yes we can. But I'm sure Tactics would say exactly the same thing. And from our point of view, we we haven't been as consistent as we're like often we you know, we'd get out to a lead and then we'll let teams back in rather than going right, we've got a nice lead and put your foot down and keep extending it, so we keep letting people back in. So that inconsistency is the bit that we need to tidy up because if we're inconsistent against tactics, they'll beat us inconsistent.
Speaker 2: That's what you know to me, that this whole year's competition has been inconsistent. The scores have been up and down and all over the place. What would be your take on that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree with that, and I'm wondering whether certainly it was a compressed season. Certainly pre season has been shorter than normal, but it also appears to have been a significant rise in injuries, and I think that's affected teams being able to get all their players either training or playing together, and that time together clearly is going to help around that consistency piece. That's a bit that I'm really interested what what's causing that, because I feel like across this season there's been a number of times a number of teams have been out, had a number of their main line out, And I was thinking, well, that's interesting, what's what's what's that? What's that about?
Speaker 2: Well, look at the Pulse, look at the Stars. You know they've had a terrible season. Yes, well not the Pulse, but certainly you.
Speaker 3: Know you've got to.
Speaker 2: You know, Timmy Potter Bailey and her first season as a head coach, nightmare.
Speaker 4: Oh so unlucky, like they've just had these injuries that and sometimes you just you need a bit of luck. I always think you need a bit of luck during the season and sometimes those injuries can just they can affect your big time.
Speaker 2: At the end of all our little interviews, we do a thing called the fast Fire.
Speaker 3: Inside Netball's Fast five.
Speaker 2: What would be your go to postgame snack?
Speaker 4: A coke? Well, certainly would be a certainly'd be a coke on the time. I know it's a drink, but that would still be my snack.
Speaker 2: Now, if you could compete in any other sport other than netball, what would it be?
Speaker 4: And why I was rubbish and everything? But what I would love to have been. I would love to have been like an international cricket umpire. Oh I would love to have done that. But you know, I went down a different path like netball took me, which was fantastic. So but that's what I'll do. I'd be hopeless of it if I was playing anything.
Speaker 2: If now number three, who in your team is most likely to get you into trouble and then most likely to get you out of trouble?
Speaker 3: Oh besides yourself?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I get myself in trouble. What it almost might be the same person. Oh no, no, I'm going to separate it. So Katie Tiao would be the most likely to get me into trouble. She's real cheeky, like she's every session or every training session, she hides my bag and can never find it. She's hiding stuff. And the person will probably get me out of trouble is Petter. She's real clever, so she'll find a way for me to get out of trouble. So she's always on speed dial.
Speaker 2: Okay, one, two to go. If you could take any three athletes in the world, current or present, dead or alive with you to dinner, who would you invite?
Speaker 4: Oh? I would go. Lebron James is just I think from his longevity in the sport, like obviously just you know, amazing, certainly up there with Michael Jordan as one of the very best players in the world, and what he's done off court as well, his work away from basketball is real, real cool. So I would go with that. It's not necessarily an athlete, but I start from Game of Thrones. She's the one that killed the king.
Speaker 2: I've never watched game.
Speaker 4: Tell me, yeah, she's yeah, she's cool.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you've got one more.
Speaker 4: Well, I have to go with your co host.
Speaker 3: Don't go there.
Speaker 4: I have to like one like the world's best sense of humor, like obviously knows the game inside out, but it's like you can have a conversation and you learn so much, but you'll also have laughed just self silly in it, So it would be just an amazing experience. So there's my three.
Speaker 1: You're on my Christmas card list.
Speaker 2: Okay, last one, best piece of advice anyone has ever given you.
Speaker 4: This one's an easy one, So I was the best piece of advice I was given is to be myself, so not try and and that was from a coaching point of view, because when I first started coaching, you see what other people are doing and you try and mimic them, or you think this is what you should do rather than you know, be authentic, like if you'll quiet, be quiet, if you're a bit crazy, be crazy, etcetera, etcetera. And so I passed it on to everyone. I think it's the best thing you can do because one I always think players see through or fraud or if you're if you're trying to fake it they'll see through it. You might do it, you might get away with it once, but it's hard work trying to not belf So that's the best piece of ice. And I got that, you know, more than twenty five years ago. But it's stuck with me forever and.
Speaker 2: It's true to it as well, and it's lasted the test of time. Well, Rob, thank you so much for your time. Best of luck on Sunday. And look, I'm sure it'll be a great game.
Speaker 4: I think it'll be a cracker talking all things netball, Inside Netball, the Inside Netball Podcast.
Speaker 2: Now round nine pretty much the finalists are set, you've got the mystics are there, the tactics are there, but it's still a bit of a question mark as to who is there with them. First game of the round was the Pulse Stars. Now the Pulse are very much in it, aren't they.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And this was one round that we probably could have predicted who was going to win the game, and that's that's how it worked out. And yeah, but it's everything is still about the last round because it's not top position. That's still up for grabs, and that's tactics, mystics. That'll be an interesting one, and certainly the Pulse absolutely in it, and in their next game they will have to win it. And if they don't, still is going to be smiling because then they're in with a chance.
Speaker 3: But yeah, the Pulse.
Speaker 1: Stars game the Stars. You know, I know it's been a difficult season for them. They were only two points behind at halftime, and they are only six points behind it three quarter time, so they were still in it. And then what happened. Pulse finally came to the equation must have woken up. They won the last quarter twenty two to seven. And you know, I looked at it at the stats in that game as well. I mean, Pulse won that sixty five forty four. The Scars were penalized seventy times. And the reason I bring that up is because Rob Bright spoke about that as well, and that is far too many penalties against them. And once again Warmsley very very dominant forty six out of forty nine. But the Pulse didn't have what i'd call the consistency.
Speaker 3: And boy have we been talking about that all the time.
Speaker 1: They didn't have that, and I looked at them, going is this is a championship team, and at the moment.
Speaker 3: No they're not, but they're noms.
Speaker 2: No, well, let's rite Yvonne. But then they're missing some of these starters, like what they sooner out with I think a concussion for Amu Yuani missed another game with illness, Tiana Maturo illness, So you know, what can you expect? But I thought it was a rough game, and I also thought that in that was it halfway through the second quarter when there was an ugly bit of play in the Pulse defensive circle, flurry of arms and legs and what have you. In Paris, Mason just went to the you know, went to the bottom of the court and sort of got sat on. I mean, last I heard, she's fine, she's still having a few tests. But is the game getting too rough?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And I know the incident and yeah, you're right, Pulse that was totally shuffle on their part and they still came through absolutely, and don't take that away from them. But yeah, but there are times, and you know, Rob alluded to it, sometimes it's also the player's responsibilities, but somewhere along the line it is also the umpire's responsibility. Yes, they penalize and I spoke about it. The Stars seventy penalties that could have been lowered if the umpire had said, for instance, okay, that's enough, let's just tidy up the game. And I think that action by an umpire makes a big difference. It's a bit like a player being sent off for a couple of minutes. When they come back on, they're a slightly different person. And that's why sometimes I'm going, you know, and it's not a particular individual, it's the game is getting rough, then you know, stamp on. It's you know, don't just make the calls and keep making the calls and the same calls. I actually would say, look, stop baying. This is the way it's got to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you say that, and I agree with you, But you know, you look across the Tasman to the SSN and man, I mean, I don't think they've had a player sent off. I don't think they've had a suspension or anything. It is full of yeah and well, I know, I think a few people sort of make a comment, but.
Speaker 1: I was going to say they do though they they've been commenting on the fact that the game is getting very physical. Appreciate defensively, it's a slightly different style it's very much and one on one defense, unlike like we have a bit more what I call space marking or off for body marking. But yeah, I just find that there is stuff going that stuff's going down here, that it's the same stuff, and players aren't making the changes accordingly. And I'm going you've been penalized for that two or three times change a whole approach to the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Now, next game was the game of the round. I think Mystic Steel so much writing on it. The mystics, Yes, they are in the finals already, but they were you know, if you've talked about fighting for a home final, but the steal, you know, I felt it was all therefore on the I think at the beginning of that final quarter they could see it. But fil Devoui and those super shots, she did them absolutely.
Speaker 1: And it's really interesting because the Steel coach, when you threw like she say, we've got this, we can do this, and the belief in the team is unbelievable. And I believe with about two minutes to go or maybe three, still had the game for the taking. They missed a two pointer at that stage and so the ball went down the other end and just like you said, Vuiye nailed two two pointers and that is how the game ended up, and that enabled Mystics to come out on top.
Speaker 3: So yeah, really interesting.
Speaker 1: And I enjoyed the game, and again probably more sobecause I like to see that defensive matchup between Hall and Steith, and I think both of them are in contention. In fact, I expect to see their names in the SilverFin squad, not the team in the squad, so that's always going to be interesting. The thing that I did question in that game, Georgia Heffman went off at some stage. Now I don't know if she was injured, sick, or whatever happened.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I can tell you because i'd gotten and coaching decision.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah see, and I found that interesting. And yes, Grace Numana came on.
Speaker 1: Yes she's played for them in the past, but not this season, appreciating that to me also was unavailable. And yeah, yeah, I still was surprised that that Georgia Hefferlin wasn't shooting bad. And that's why I'm going, Oh, I don't know if this is an injury or whatever, but to bring someone that hasn't been in the team, she might have been a training partner probably has, but and I've indicated that before. You know, training is totally different than actually on court action. With that, and in that game, yep, the super Shop made the difference.
Speaker 3: And Vouy nailed three out of four.
Speaker 2: Incredible, isn't it. She fascinates me, Phil Devouis. She's just so, she carries herself very evenly and there's no hysterics, no nothing. She just you know, gets about her business. Now brings us to Monday Night Tactics versus Magic again, the Tactics sort of safely through into the top three. Magic they were desperate, really and they didn't make it. Was it sixty eight fifty seven? But you know there was an element there that Emilia Anikinasio shot the two pointers now and she did. They were successful, six from six from eight, and I love the fact that she and her opposing defender, you know, embraced after she shot the last one because I think, well, I don't know, I guess their mates and everyone was very happy for the other. But why didn't she do that? All season?
Speaker 1: Haven't we been talking about that? And I've certainly been talking about that. Yeah, absolutely, it was a situation. You look at that and you're going to see it shows that you can do the two pointers. Yeah, six out of eight you got in that one. And yeah, I remember the hard that was really quite cool. And I'm going, oh, I wonder if you know that.
Speaker 3: Was the opposition. But even if it wasn't, I thought it was and good spirits it was. Put it back.
Speaker 2: I thought it was.
Speaker 1: The second quarter in that game set the tone twenty to twelve to the Tech Dicks in that quarter, you know, and then oh that was interesting. A magic came back and they won the third quarter twenty to fourteen. Donna Wilkins was questioned about that, and the first thing she said, yeah, yeah, but that was thanks to the two point shots, and I'm going, yeah, in a way, yes, but they are part of our game.
Speaker 3: It's as simple as that.
Speaker 1: At the end of the game, Donna Wilkins said, oh, look, we just want to win the game. Like for the next game against the Mystics, we just want to win the game. And the reason of that is because they're at home and it's a situation on Actually, no, it's the Mystics, isn't it home ground is the next game? Yeah, but they have been winning all their games at home, and so that's what it's all about. And I'm going, yeah, but you don't want to just win. Don't give me this. You actually have to win by six or more because if Mystics do lose but they are within five, they will then be on the same points and I think gold differential will allow Mystics to take the top.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is now, this is where it gets particularly interested that let's jump ahead now to that next round. Yeah, Magic versus Pulse, So well, the Magic, you know, I don't think that they can make any headway, but I don't think they can go any higher actually, but they can certainly pull the Pulse down by beating them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and teams have spoken about that. At the bottom, you know, you can still disrupt and yeah, you have a look at it. We just alluded to it, Ecanasio. If she starts shooting two pointers, they could really be in there. And they have at times been in there but just not have been successful. Look, both the Magic and in the Stars. I'm sure we'll talk about them. They want to finish at least the season on a bit of a high. Having said that, I'm sure the coaches will then turn around and say, well, if you can do it for the last game, how can We haven't been consistent throughout the season, so they're in trouble no matter what happens. But you know that's a situation. Obviously Pulse has to win it still will certainly look at that game because if Pole does win, it still has no chance even if they win to make.
Speaker 2: It that's right. And then of course you've got the big game on Sunday, Mystics Tactics, who do you think will win that?
Speaker 1: Exactly as Rob said, Actually, like Mystics have been inconsistent. If they are totally on their game, they must be favorites. But then you can look at the Tactics and on the whole they've probably been the more consistent out of the two teams. I just would like to see a really close game, only it's almost going to be a final. In fact, it could very much end up being a final anyway.
Speaker 2: And if you're the Tactics, who do you put at goal?
Speaker 4: Shoot?
Speaker 3: And you can say that, isn't it interesting?
Speaker 1: Ali Bird played the last game In total, I thought that Salmon would come on and readiness for the next game didn't happen. But I think Ali Bird is easy to feed, and it's a different combination yet she's slightly taller. But also I don't know they do don't forget she's been with them for a long time, so I guess that's why one reason why she is easy to feed. I think they'll start with Bird, but I can also see Salmon coming on at some stage in the equation. And hey, it may come down to the two point shot at the end of every five and I'd like to see it utilized, not just in the last quarter to sort of get up in a bit of a competitive score, but actually throughout the game.
Speaker 2: Interesting though, isn't it, because you think Ellie Bird but as you say, played with them for Yolks, but playing some of the best netball of her life, but along with Selby Rickett, Eric Anna Petterson, Jane Watson not available for the Ferns.
Speaker 1: I was just going to say that, yeah, and that may make a difference to Ali Bird, the fact that she's just playing for this game. That's a reason maybe Salmon will come on. She may come on a goal attack. But having said that, boys Selby Ricketts is playing well and I actually would have given her Player of the Game last week, and I know Jane Watson got it, but I would have given it to her mainly because her attacking players there. When she needs the shoot, she does shoot. And I just think that she's having a really good season. Yes, I agree, I agree very much. Now moving right along, because last week the final of the National Netball League was played and well, for a change, Central Manawah didn't win, Mainland did. Yeah, and also they had some A and Z players in their team. Malasala was there, right And I looked at that and going, oh, is that the reason maybe she hasn't been played more in the A and Z competition because isn't there a certain amount before?
Speaker 3: I think it's only going up, maybe not going down.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but yeah, I found that interesting and I'm going, oh, Mainland actually hasn't got the most experience in their team, but certainly they played well as a collective unit, and boy, I think that's the first time they actually they won that championship.
Speaker 3: And good on them.
Speaker 1: I mean, obviously that's great for their future and great for the A and Z team. So yeah, even like obviously you know, the the the tactics, they're playing really well at home.
Speaker 2: So you know, and the thing I went through my mind was, boy, I know so many of these players, and I think that's because this National League is doing its job. It's feeding the A n Z because we've had so many injuries as we all we've all talked about, but you know, there's been an absolute parade of National League players coming through the Stars, coming through some of the steel and it's.
Speaker 3: But I'd like to see it changed at the moment.
Speaker 1: And it may only be in the Auckland region, but and I'm not saying there's an age restriction on it, but they do tend to favor the younger players. And I've been the club competition and I'm going WHOA some of these players Actually, you know, it would be interesting to see if they could take the step up. And I like to just see that it's the next tier down the n and L, that it's the players selected for that the next best players in the region. And I don't believe that's necessarily happening because you're twenty three, twenty four year old, so are playing club netball basically well not in aligible, but I'm not looked at for the NNL competition, and I think there shouldn't be an age restriction on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, well you that and that may well be right. Now, look, one more thing we have to touch on before we go. Joe Harton and lover her or hater. I know when if she was playing for England against New Zealand, I used to I hate a strong word, but you know I wasn't her biggest fan. But she is a great woman. I remember when she was here playing for the Magic and then she followed Julie Fitzgerald across to Australia. She's made a home in Sydney, she's had a baby, she's you know, she's just she's made a whole new life for herself out here. And I understand she's going into coaching. I understand she's you know, she's announced her retirement from playing netball. Did you have much to do with it?
Speaker 3: A little bit?
Speaker 1: You know, And it was going to be a question of when was she going to retire? You know, and you could see that it was happening and she was starting to get more into coaching. But you know, never say never. Hey remember Casey koepoor. Oh that's right. She's playing at the moment, so you know, and she's still valuable in their team, and yeah, obviously in slightly lesser role. You know, shooters don't have to move us much. But yeah, I mean, she's had a wonderful, wonderful career, and what I love about it is that she's still staying involved in the sport.
Speaker 3: Just in a different capacity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she's the sort of player she'll always talk to you wherever you are and I always value that. But anyway, we have reached the end of this program, so I don't know where those two magazine readers are, but I'm sure that well, I hope that they'll be back next week. In the meantime, martiwa