Speaker 1: Welcome into the Mad Monday Podcast, brought to you as always by four and twenty Pile. It's the perfect at home snack for watching rugby League Minia and die with you for your Monday die Just on the four and twenty pie the Traveler pie. I know you love it. I love it too. Have you ever seen someone eat it with a knife and fork before? Now?
Speaker 2: I look, I have seen someone need a pie with a knife and fork. The only pie I'll give you to eat with a knife and fork is if you're actually in a pub having a proper pub.
Speaker 1: Pie and you get a slice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or it comes in a sort of big rammikan with a lid on it, so you have to pot pie. But if you're getting a pie that you'd either get at the footy a servo or it's an on the go pie. And the Traveler is one literally made to hold in your hand in one head. Don't tell me someone we know has been eating a pie a knife and for.
Speaker 1: Casey on Saturday night was tucking into one with a knife and fork. He said it was a little too hot for him and so he had to roll the knife and fork. He was appropriately torn to shreds on the text machine for his efforts as well.
Speaker 2: Look, I mean Keysy someone who loves the banter.
Speaker 1: We all know that. But oh it was just he loves the burgers too. Down there, down there at the mount.
Speaker 2: I thought I thought, I thought he was just a key we guy. He's into cars. Yeah, he's into the Red Fox Steven. He better not be caught dead in the Red Fox Steven eating him four and twenty with a fork and a knife and fork. He was cutting out, giving it a.
Speaker 1: Bit, yeah, and there was a there's a video of him trying to do it on the thing, but because it was ear fried to within an inch of its life, he couldn't cut through because it was quite crusty. But again it's designed to hold together in your hand. So he's trying to cut it in the and he goes to pick it up, it just drops off the end of his fork. The videos on Instagram.
Speaker 2: So the answer, keasy is if your pie's too hot.
Speaker 1: This is what we use.
Speaker 2: When I was at primary school, once a week you could order a pie, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, write your name on the envelope.
Speaker 2: It always came so hot, so you'd take the top off, put the sauce inside, put the lid back on and the source cooled it. Yeah, that's that's there's a lot of option. You don't have to go straight for the knife and for if it's too hot your hand, you can put bread on either side. That's where the pie sandwich came from. You can blow on it, of course, like the famous ad, you know that's say for communities together.
Speaker 1: Say for communities together. That pie has been in the pie warmers since eight o'clock this morning. It's thermonuclet. You must always blow on the pie. You could just wait.
Speaker 2: I reckon that that police officer did more for the reputation of the police in New Zealand than any police officer in the street.
Speaker 1: Is one hundred per I couldn't think of maybe the good aftable constinent officer. Although he was just there when it happened. He did next year. He didn't have a great line, No, he was just there. Yeah, I think he would. But yeah, there's no threat. We're dancing.
Speaker 2: We're dancing around the sadness here in the n Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: The sadness is thirty eight to twenty four. The Warriors lose again. That is sixteen straight against the storm fifteen years. That we haven't beaten them. I think it was yeah, two thousand and nine. Last time we beat the Storm, they are top of the table. And before we get too deep into the chat, I would say before this game, if you told me the score was going to be thirty eight twenty four, I would have said, that probably sounds about right, don't you think. But it's probably the way that it happened that was alertle bit disappointing. Yeah, like thirty eight.
Speaker 2: So if I just saw the score thirty eight twenty four, I'd think Storm got out to a lead and then we hunted them down, but we didn't have enough time to get it back. So this morning I did like, I've done my watch, I've done my watch, and I just watched.
Speaker 1: The game through stats.
Speaker 2: The stats don't tell the don't tell a thirty eight twenty four store. No, we had fifty four percent of the possession, Yeah, an eighty two percent completion rate to their seventy six percent. We had more completed sets, we had more total sets, We had three hundred more run.
Speaker 1: Meters three hundred. We had eleven to six off loads. So the only stat they beat us in it was this was try points. Yeah, and I have to say.
Speaker 2: As a Warriors fan who has a heavy amount of PTSD, I was so stressed out when we got out to that early lead. You know that twenty we had twenty beautiful minutes of play. Granted we probably should have scored another try in that in that time where you know, after twelve minutes, the Storm hadn't touched them, had a full set. After twenty minutes we had been they hadn't been into our half, and then they just do what the bloody Storm do.
Speaker 1: Couple of opportunistsic trys. I thought that, like you said, the start was excellent. Adam Pombi scoring that try, the chance back door flick outrageous.
Speaker 2: So that seals the deal right on chance. Before you know the game, Chance had in the hearts. Everyone was saying, is he a ballplayer? He doesn't really, you know, he's another silky hands ballplayer. He showed he as a great passer in that that back door flip pass was on the money, It was under pressure, it was amazing, it was sick. I mean, I'd give him a pass because he's a key.
Speaker 1: We Jerom Hughes owned that game. He destroyed us, and I was saying that my Keysy to success before the aim was Jerome Hughes and Elikator. We need to shut both of them down. They play so well together. You're right. Jerome Hughes killed us his combination with Ali Kata, who just took out in Pompy's lollies for that try where they kicked Pompy went up, caught it and then kut went main catch bro give us that book and then scored a try. He is a player who.
Speaker 2: Would still be munting around the middle unless you've gone to Melbourne. Yeah, Craig Bellamy has honed him and is getting you know, he manages to get all of the.
Speaker 1: Juice out of the berry. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like if you look at that, someone like Nick Minie, right, Nick Manna. He he was pretty average, but he's like did sit sweet as he was a sweet Airs replacement for Pappenhausen and until far long or yeah, oh god, I want to punch the mon awave out of his face. Oh you know when the thing not because I dislike him, Yeah, because he's just one of those players that's on the team we're playing and he is so good.
Speaker 1: It's like when Reee Walsh plays against us. Yeah, when he was playing for us, we're like, yeah, mean suck that. But then when he's playing against you. I took so much like shudden freuder from him doing the big Swan dive and then injuring.
Speaker 2: Himself massively winding himself and cracking a rib sucker.
Speaker 1: But he is electric. He car'd us the bits a little bit there. I think the biggest thing that the elphant in the room for this game was the two yellow cards. The first one was quick tap and go from Jerome Hughes. He ran straight into Marcelo Montour to try and milk a penalty. Marcelo obliged, grabbed him, threw him over the sideline. The rifts like the fuck, you can't do that.
Speaker 2: So I wouldn't be surprised that Marcello should have thrown him over the sideline and just walked to the dressing Yeah, because that play is one of the few guaranteed end up binnings, Like there's no question no. And Girard Sutton right, he has a bad history with the Warriors in terms of calls.
Speaker 1: At one point in the tackle other penalty count was six to one against us.
Speaker 2: But then having said that, he gave us every call in that first twenty minutes. The call I found weird was when they went back to plays.
Speaker 1: Tommarti Martin's head.
Speaker 2: High and Wade was going, what about my head high? And he goes, you didn't get head high tech on? While am I bleeding from the face.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That that one absolutely killed me when it happened, because I think, didn't we score so we were going to have the ball? Yeah, because we that's right. It was a double knock on and we're like, right, it's our ball. But then they're like, hang.
Speaker 2: On, yeah, we scored, but it was a double knock on Melbourne knock on first.
Speaker 1: And then they went back to plays like, that's not what you were checking. That isn't what we were talking about. Such a rugby union movement. It was a massive rugby union move And just before that game, I was talking to mcconey, who commentated the rugby union game before us, and he's like, League does a good job of this kind of stuff. You know, they don't go back that far. They just go back to the last place. Sure enough, we're gonna absolutely slick. But again that's not why we lost.
Speaker 2: I do think I just just still on that to Marty Martin thing I thought the way League meant to deal with it is they play the knock on, but they go we checked that there was foul play.
Speaker 1: To Marty Martin's on report.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so then it gets dealt with after the game because they missed the penalty in the run and play.
Speaker 1: Yes, but no, they decided we're actually going to bring that one back and Wade got smoked. Yeah, well again, like you said, he said to the reef, how can I have blood coming out of my lip if I didn't get hid in the head. I don't know. It's just such a squirrely one. And I know it's like a sore topic because anytime it goes against your team, you're like, what the rules?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'm not one to blame the refs, because look, the refs didn't lose us that game.
Speaker 1: No, we our age defense lost us that game. I felt well, particularly when we lost the edges of our edges from those two Yellow Caps. When we had no edges, we had no edges, We were just a middle because there was one. There was one. Try to I forget his name, their winger, Grant Atkinson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just where that sounds like a referee, Grant where Montoya just stumbled to get on the out to turn around.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he just got done on the outside. Ye where we compressed a bit too much, just got the numbers a little bit wrong on that one. Yeah, that's a bit disappointing. But also we had a lot of injuries in this game. Yeah, we did. Rocc o'berry. I don't, I don't. I don't know exactly what happened to him, but it looked like he heard his hand again. It was some sort of issuing. It was on the same So it.
Speaker 2: Is down his shoulder on the NRL injuries, Yeah, right, which is what he had before, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: Well, he broke his hand and so he was out for a little bit and then yeah, he was down in the goal getting attended to, which is no good because if you notice towards the end of the game, I think was Shanelle Harris Devita was kicking and Pompy came off with an ankle injury as well.
Speaker 2: And respect to Pompey, he was kicking epic, Yeah he was. These conversions were great. What was your take on Chanell getting like nine minutes.
Speaker 1: I'm not entirely sure what his role is at the moment and the Warriors like, yeah, he's in there to spell Wade Egan. But I just think it's been a little bit all over the shop at the moment, and so I don't know, there's been a few players that we've been carrying on our bench that didn't get too many minutes. Kirk cape Wire probably only good about the same amount. Yeah, it just felt like we didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean it's more more intelligent people and myself, but I'm just looking at it now. Rocoberry's shoulder and Adam Pompey is to they're both TBC.
Speaker 1: Yeah, looked like some sort of ankle lower leg injury. It was very late on in the piece.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I felt like he came off with the two or three minutes to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it sort of sailed under the radar and then Yeah, I don't know, it's just so upside.
Speaker 2: Two of us are check back next week. Ed Cossi played awesome in New South Wales Cup and he did well when he for the he's played one or two.
Speaker 1: Games, he yes, he and he does do well. He did score a try against the Roosters. Unfortunately, when they put that like fifty point drubbing on us in the first half. It was all down his side, so there is a little bit of a little bit of concern there. But yeah, you're right. I think Cossy comes in for Dallan, who's going to get one or two two weeks for his head high on a man that did not have the ball, and then that was a brain fart. It was so Cossio, we have to come in for him. Artis back into the center, and then I think Ali La Tower, who I think has been.
Speaker 2: He is injury my friend, Oh yeah, he is round eighteen ankle. Oh man, So maybe there'd be that Moilo Graham tofa yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh man. Or do we put too Picky back in at full back and then Charms in the centers.
Speaker 2: This is going to be also a thing that I thought I'd never be saying.
Speaker 1: The slowest. I just felt that Tahu and es Day were a bit slower.
Speaker 2: I mean, granted they're coming back, but God Heaven didn't walk for it. Lock change plays so fast, changes the complexion of teammate yeah and not, and like to who to who est didn't do anything wrong? But to who's that more controlling lumbering ball playing sort of Isao type, whereas Walker just blitzes it.
Speaker 1: He does. I kind of seetaur who becoming more of a prop same.
Speaker 2: I'd love to see him in the prop rotation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just because of exactly what you just said then, and and if we can get him into that prop rotation, that may, you know, bring his minutes down a little bit, because he'll play every minute of a game. If you're asking how good's Jackson Ford and prop why we were trying to figure this out last week, why have they swapped Mitch Barnett and Jackson Ford around? I think because.
Speaker 2: Mitch Barnette and Neil Cord I think are really steady with the ball. Nil Cord is what so j and Ford runs mean lines, but you know he drops about two out of five on that short ball.
Speaker 1: It's got a good knock on them.
Speaker 2: And I think, I mean, Mitch Barnette's shining, as he showed with that try.
Speaker 1: He can play anywhere.
Speaker 2: But it's I think from a coach's point of view, it's really enjoyable having interchangeable back row and props because then you don't get caught in the sort of having to play the same people. However, I haven't seen much of tom Ahler, there'll be dementrics if a cooler coming back into the Pictureion And that's with Bunty out as well, and Bunty's playing New South Wales Cup.
Speaker 1: We've got our resources are there.
Speaker 2: But what I think we're gonna struggle with is there's this log jam, right and teams are really starting to step up, like manly, you know, the Cowboys got that big win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I don't trust the Cowboys but yet.
Speaker 2: No, But I mean just in terms of like I think it's going to be a big fight for us to get to the bottom of the eight. Yes, right, Yeah, I'm with you because you know, it's not like it's not like we're just going against a couple of teams.
Speaker 1: No, the Bulldogs are and it's sixth. The Broncos I think might even be eight. Yeah, I think the Broncos are on the slide. Eh. Yeah. So it's like these are the guys that we're trying to compete with to get in there, Dolphins, Sharks, storm, Panthers all right up at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So Bronco's fallen out of the eighth, they're at nine. The roosters of fifth Bulldog sixth Raiders seventh, Manly eighth, who however, Manly the Manly's on seventeen points. They're in eight, and we're on fifteen points and we're twelve.
Speaker 1: Oh right, okay, so we could easily be yeah, back in there, but.
Speaker 2: We basically stay where we are next week if we beat the Titans, because all the teams above us have buyers, so they're all guaranteed.
Speaker 1: Massive bye week, which in another years would have benefited us because of the origin thing, but we'll talk about it later on in the podcast. It's probably not going to benefit us this time. Just quickly in the older med Monday Mondays group on Facebook, go and look it up. Logan Mudge got on there straight after the game and said, tough watch tonight after a magnificent start, some dumb stuff from our wingers when we were right in it. Also, I love him, but I think Sj's days are nearly done. Offered very little fifteen to go. I hope I eat my words. Do you think he will eat his words?
Speaker 2: You know I'm putting Sj's ESJ just feels a beat slower, but you know he's had leg injury coming back from a peck injury. Also we seem to have changed our style a little of play a bit while he's been out, so he's slotting back into it. I mean, I hate to say it, you know, I mean, I mean, obviously he's coming to the end of his career, but I think he's sort of the same age as DCE, right, And you look at how DCE just worked the manly around the park this week and it basically brought them to a win when they had no bench. Yeah, Jerome Hughes just kicked them around the park. I mean it's awesome to MARTI still had a good game. I mean, there's there's definitely there's still a place for Sean on the side, and I think I just hope that he can find his straps for the rest of the year.
Speaker 1: I think I know what it is, and I sort of talked about it last week, and I don't think it's a positional swap, but it's a role change where to Mighty Martin becomes our first receiver and dictates a bit more of the play and freeze Sean Johnson up to play a little bit more of the sixth role, if you know what I mean. Yeah, a bit more floating and yeah, a bit more instinctive, just eyes up. It seems.
Speaker 2: It seems that, I think because also he's a victim of hiving, been a successful player for so long that people know how he steps, they know his go tos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think he obviously one part of why our right side attacks not as powerful this year is because teams know about it. They've locked and keyed in on it, and by default, teams lock in on Sean Johnson because he is Sean Johnson. So if you've got some Mighty Martin out there and one of his passing options is Sean Johnson, I feel like that puts another level of doubt. It's another decision for a defender to make. And I think that you pair that with you know, Marta, who looked excellent, he's out on an edge. You pair that with Mitch Barnett out on another edge. Arts comes back and now all of a sudden, you look up, You're looking at RTS, Mitch Barnett, Shawn Johnson, and you're like, shit, I don't know what they're gonna do here. Yeah, all running down one side, all running down one side. So I think that I think that we put a bit more into Tomighty Martin. We found out over the last few weeks he's up to it. But I still think there's a little bit of difference, particularly from him being like, look, that's Seawn Johnson. He can do whatever he wants. And also from the team's perspective, we're paying Seawan Johnson all this money. Here you go, you're in charge of everything. I think it'll do us a lot to just take a bit off his plate. Just say, look, mate, we're gonna give you a bit more license to rome and tonight's going to take you know, take charge a little bit more. Yeah, I'll be into that.
Speaker 2: I feel our kicking options need something, something, because we don't have that kicker like Matt Burton. What did you watch the South's game, Bonny Chilnes, No, not live, Jack Whiton.
Speaker 1: Yeah, has he did?
Speaker 2: He kicked at seventy five on the.
Speaker 1: Sixth fifth tackle. It did could get dead?
Speaker 2: No, No, he kicked it from his twenty five down.
Speaker 1: To their five meter line. Jesus Chriss.
Speaker 2: So like they like just massive punts, Yeah, we don't. And that changed again, Like that changed it from you guys struggling to get out of your own end all of a sudden that guy runs off ten meters and he's caught on his fifteen meter line.
Speaker 1: You know you're right with having said that. I think Sean Johnson, at least up until his injury, was leading the league in kicked meters. But you're right, it's not so much that it's just the we don't have attacking kicks. We haven't had a forty twenty in about a decade.
Speaker 2: And also those you know, those bombs that are just wobbling, towering messes.
Speaker 1: Yes, someone put one up on the weekend that wasn't Sean Johnson, and it's scared the piss out of old so far long almost dropped it. I'm forgetting who it was.
Speaker 2: Oh it wasn't Chance put up a bomb.
Speaker 1: It was Chance and he lined up like he was going for a torpedo box. Yeah, I was like, go on Chance. I just kind of wonder if the Warriors at the moment, our identity last year, well before that, even our identity at the Warriors has always been schoolyard, bullshit, razzle, dazzle. We might blow off the park, you might blow us off the park, but we're going to try shit. Where we turned around was I think even before Web came in and it was like right through Nathan Brown was like no.
Speaker 2: And it was especially actually when Nathan Brown left and Todd Peyton came and the second half of that season.
Speaker 1: And it was like, we're going to complete at ninety nine percent. We're not going to try any dumb shit, and if you beat us, you beat us. We only beat us by two or four points, but we're not going to give you the game. And I think that's taken a little bit of the natural footy away from some of the players. And I think that's why I think, like you said, Chance has got so much more than he's been showing, and I think maybe we just need to loosen the reins a little bit and look, fellas, we've got some ballplayers, let them play ball. We still need to stick with the you know, the high completion rates, that the defense, solid defense, But I just feel like we've got a bit more razzle dazzle in us. We need to unleash it. All.
Speaker 2: Teams aren't going through the middle of us. Our defense in the middle is really good, it's just the edges, like we get caught sucking in, jamming in. Don't want to get caught sucking in oh, never get caught sucking in. But you know, we seem to our wingers seem to be turned in a lot of the time, so when the ball goes around the outside of them, they have to turn out and then chase.
Speaker 1: And they are not going to chase.
Speaker 2: And we were chatting a bit about this before when Nick Meeney got that runaway try. Well, we everything has a trade off. Our backs run hard out like in the first three tackles when we get the ball, but they're not nimble sort of Jason sab carn Perira type.
Speaker 1: We don't speedst it. No, we don't have any out and out speeds. So I think we talked about this on the podcast a couple of weeks ago. If I asked you who how fastest player was and you couldn't say Luke Metcalfe, I don't know who it is. I think it's Dylan once he gets going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sometimes I'm eternally going, oh, would it be Jazz maybe or Dylan?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean over ten meters, it's definitely Dylan. And also we.
Speaker 2: I think no one's that sprint like from zero to one hundred really fast like Dylan once he gets like the flap up. Well, he's away, but for him to get to the velocity to have the flap up, it takes a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Marcello is.
Speaker 2: More's hard work orse gran run.
Speaker 1: Well, he's an origin winger as well as my Cello is. He's a he's a you know, hard nose straight up the garts kick returned sort of winger.
Speaker 2: And Rockerberry had a good break. Actually, yeah, but he's not out and outspeed stead.
Speaker 1: No, you can tell he's a rugby union player, or was at least. But look, I think thirty eight is probably a little higher than I would like it to be. A couple of brain farts, I think if you take those away, they scored two tries of the year, so in my mind, I can shave twelve points off this and that makes it twenty six twenty four wins.
Speaker 2: So do we have both There was a few minutes when both of them were off at the same time, Yes, there was. Yeah, so we were playing eleven. We had a soccer team eleven verse thirteen of the storm, Yeah, plus the reef plus the reef. At one point but no, I mean Andrew web still looked really bummed out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he didn't have press conference. Mitch Monty was scathing in his postmatch conference as well. They like, what do you think is that a couple of individual performances really let us down in that second half? He just stopped short of been like Dallan Macello fucked us?
Speaker 2: Well, they did, they did, They did because you can't lose two players, especially not on your edge, because you can't hide that.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, isn't. Yeah, So anyway, we move on, We will talk about we'll probably give a bigger preview of the game when we get closer to it. But we've got the Tits this weekend Saturday, five pm. The Titans have not been going very well, but I think that from memory and I should have checked this. They beat us last time. Yes, they beat us at home, so that's but we're going to be going over there. I believe Seabar Stadium.
Speaker 2: The Tits head are pretty bad outing. Yes, without their star David ffeeda.
Speaker 1: Yep like scratching. Hopefully still out this week. Not the hard.
Speaker 2: The hard thing's going to be seeing how we line up. I think, yeah, how that back line lines up. I mean, I'm confident that there's enough young talent.
Speaker 1: Yes, but well, but what we really need from this? What is it a round sixteen this weekend? There are twenty five twenty seven rounds. What we need from here on out is we need and the best teams will have this a bit of consistency and continuity through throughout. That's why we did so well last year. We've had so much chopping and changing it's hard to get that continuity going.
Speaker 2: So we need to win. We need to win. What do we have eight games left?
Speaker 1: No, I'm on that. It's well, we've got two buyers left. One of our buyers is around twenty seven, which is handy.
Speaker 2: So our upcoming games are Titans, Broncos, Dogs, Raiders, Tigers, Eels, Dolphins, Manly Dog Sharks.
Speaker 1: I'm hearing some dog shit teams in there. That fills me with confidence. We need we I think the cutoff's going.
Speaker 2: To be around thirty two points and we're on fifteen at the moment. We get four more points from buyers to nineteen, then we'll need to find thirteen fourteen. We need to find seven wins.
Speaker 1: I don't mind it one.
Speaker 2: Two, three, four, seven ninety So basically seven we need to win seven out of our next ten games if we.
Speaker 1: Played the Tigers yet, I don't think we have.
Speaker 2: We play the Tigers in there, So I reckon we beat the Titans. I reckon we beat the Broncos at home. Yep, we play the Dogs away. That's a tough game. Fifty to fifty Raiders away.
Speaker 1: I reckon we beat the Raiders. Okay, we beat the Raiders.
Speaker 2: We beat the Tigers, the Eels at home.
Speaker 1: I reckon we can beats.
Speaker 2: Then we have the Dolphins away, no Manly away, no Dogs at home our home. Yeah, I'm probably still gonna say no, and Sharks away. So we need to given us five. So we need two more out of that. So we're going to need Yeah, but there are two. There are two games in there. I could see us jagging.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Bulldogs once.
Speaker 2: I just had to see us see the Bulldogs feel to me like those games that we could either get touched up or we could put a score on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it's gonna be.
Speaker 2: And bear in mind, this is to just get us into the eight.
Speaker 1: But we fired once we get in there.
Speaker 2: Oh hell yeah, we're book your tickets. Yeah, it's going to be literally all right, we're going to actually, yeah, I got my accommodation. When the tickets come out of either I'll blind you. Charlie and I when we went to the Grand Phone last year were actually we got there and we went.
Speaker 1: It's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: The Warriors aren't here because this is a stressfully experience. Yeah, you know, it was just like fully enjoy the day. There was no worry.
Speaker 1: Rather than just like shitting yourself. James mcconey on the Super Rugby commentary of the Chiefs was so nervous here to go make a cup te mid commentary walked off, Oh I know, I'm a Canes fan and that was depression. All right, we'll move on, move on, We're gonna take a quick break. But just before we do, the four and twenty four pack prize pack is back for this month. Each month Mad Monday Team of giving away four tickets to the next home game and four and twenty pive vouchers. Do not eat those with a knife and fork. We enter. Just text the monthly keyword to three two three six. This month the keyword is yum. Oh well why you am? Yeah, you got it And if you can spell that like die, texts yum to three two three six to be in to win quick break, will be back with the stockt all right, now it is time for the stoker of the realm. This game was built by I think it was dan Ganaine that was commentating it as will it be Jaws or flipper dolphins for his Sharks tonight, jewels or flipper?
Speaker 2: I mean dan Gan Aine's got a great turn of phrase, but that's not really the Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also was flipper of dolphin.
Speaker 2: Yeah okay, but also sharks still have flippers, don't they.
Speaker 1: Well, this is the thing. Both teams were doing the fins up thing on their head when they were scoring, both the Sharks and the Dolphins.
Speaker 2: That there was because I think it was five years ago the Sharks almost went with fins up as their slogan, their slogan catchphrase. Then they were really pissed off when the Dolphins went with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so a bit of a feeling there, But in the end was a good game. Yeah. The Dolphins as they want to do. They nibbled around and ate the liver out of the sharks. That is how dolphins quite often kill sharks. Thirty points to twenty eight. But it just it was the ending of this game, genuinely, was anyone's game right up until the final hurdle, wasn't it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What was what? He went in and felt like with a minute to go or two minutes ago?
Speaker 1: I know, And then they left the clock running to where it was expired by the time Nico Hines took his kick, he missed it and in the end thirty points. Pawn Neck goes a bit out of form? Did he because I saw this meme doing the rounds this morning. Did he kick himself out of Origin with that kick? I think?
Speaker 2: I think it was a bit of a full gone conclusion. Before that, he didn't really offer a lot in Origin.
Speaker 1: I mean, you can't.
Speaker 2: You can't really judge his Origin stats because he you know, he played that weird ten minutes at center last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He Ever since he went into that Origin camp, he seemed a bit out of sorts. He was out and out the best half back in the comp until a week before Origin, and.
Speaker 1: Sudden he's come off the boil. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And even in that Dolphins game, he didn't seem to be fully leading them around the park. She was. The Dolphins played hard out in that opening twenty minutes. I thought this is going to be a blowout to the Dolphins. Yeah yeah, because what that scored four times in twenty five minutes.
Speaker 1: The Dolphins look incredible and only their second year. You know, usually when a new team comes in, you look at them and go, oh yeah, well, it takes ages to get a team up and running. Well, not for these guys.
Speaker 2: I'll be intrigued to see what happens when Christian Wolf takes over next year.
Speaker 1: Yes, although I don't know, I feel like there's enough momentum that the players have been given opportunities, none more so than Hammer, who had a Try of the year kind of candle when he caught the ball five meters out from his own line and just it was like John Coowin against Italy. It was like Jared Haynes in two thousand and nine. Can't find any footage of that online anymore, but he just carved everyone up out of nowhere and scored a try down.
Speaker 2: I felt like I was watching a heavily sun tan Christian Callen yea there for a second, you know that sort of Jen King run, bouncing around out of your own twenty two No one quite knows where they're going.
Speaker 1: Then boom, he's off into the backfield. He has Wheels. Oh, he's incredible. I think there's some ridiculous stat around how many tries he's scored. Basically, if he walks onto a rugby league field, he scores at least one try the hem and it doesn't matter whether that's an origin could be for anyone, he's going to score a try. He has been absolutely outstanding the way that we do the DELI him. He's not going to win it, but I think he's probably been arguably the best player in the league this year.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, he and that that's try of the year is so far.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The the Sharks, I mean they're falling off, have had a rough few weeks.
Speaker 1: They are still hovering around the top four Sharks. Fact, I think they're still in there. I think they've had a red still.
Speaker 2: And the Dolphins are oh yeah, So Penrith Cranala are on twenty two points and the Dolphins are.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that they have had a topsy turvy one. But I think that it's because of the expectations on them that people think that they're not going to well, whereas when you actually watch them, they are going well. They came off the boil for a little bit Trendle's back. Now moly Tullo is starting to look good. So if it tallic I has been coming off the beach out.
Speaker 2: They've got the buy this week because they mechanical with mckennison, Heinz not making orange and they have their full strength side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it would be a bit of an advantage.
Speaker 2: I just think even Will Tallo does look like he's back and formert.
Speaker 1: Yes he is, because for the longest time he was like one of those super coach guns where he was putting up these massive scores. Then Trendle went out and all of a sudden, the ball's not coming down his side. He starts coming off the boil a little bit. Now he looks excellent again. And I just think that the like I said, they've been up and down, when it comes to the end of the season, I still think they're going to be there or thereabouts, and it will only take two or three good performances from Nico Hines for everyone to say he's back to being one hundred top of the supercoach by Yeah, how's this for a step. This is the first Dolphins win in Sydney ever, the Dolphins ever won, and I think that's by virtue of the fact that ninety percent of the games are at home.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean, I've been on a rant about this before. Queensland teams seem to have an awful amount of games in Queensland.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pisses me off that they play all the games at sun Corp. That's not their home. They've got Redford.
Speaker 2: I heard one of the on Triple M one of the Queensland pundits was saying he feels sorry for the Broncos and they may have taken a loss because they're a bit travel weary because they had to go to Sydney this week to play the.
Speaker 1: Play the Bunnies.
Speaker 2: When it's like, bro, you've just played like thirteen out of fourteen games at home. No second court, don't talk about that to us. I was literally looking at flights to Sydney just last night. It's a four hour flight to Sydney. And that's not the dick around time on either side of a flight either. No, for some reason it's three hours back and four hours over trade wind.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know. I think that's what they want you to believe, but I reckon if you look at.
Speaker 2: It, they just fling a bit faster or as the spinning that way, It's.
Speaker 1: Not spinning at all. Open your eyes, mate, it's flat.
Speaker 2: I was like a saucer. Yeah, that's right, And were the teacups.
Speaker 1: And they just go a little bit faster on the way back so that you think that it's actually around. This is how they keep us down.
Speaker 2: Oh man, Like I feel that we've got a whole podcast about this. I wonder what the Venn diagram of flat earth is in Rugby League podcast.
Speaker 1: Listen. It would look like the Japanese flag. It's just one. It would look like the one in Zied logo. Because every time someone just got into hit about it about a couple of weeks ago, and he was just like, look, I don't know, just do your own research. All I'm saying, I love to do your own research. Guys like, no, I'm not a research guy. There are people that do the research. Yeah, you know, I'm the talk dumb shit about sports guys.
Speaker 2: Multiple people have done the research.
Speaker 1: Also, your tube is not research. Anyway, we digress. That was an absolute stonker that game. I thought that there were great games across the weekend as well. It was a good weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have to say I'd like while we were talking about the sending off for the Warriors players, I've.
Speaker 1: My heart is with j w H.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did you see his send off for his tackle on Sean Lane.
Speaker 1: No, that game was a blow up very early doors and I stopped watching it. He yeah, I thought he was rough.
Speaker 2: He was definitely sending you know, they're sending him off before the tackle happened.
Speaker 1: Basically, who did it? Yeah, yeah, you're out mate, out of here.
Speaker 2: But no, my team's are roosters had when and the Bunnies look like they're back and forth.
Speaker 1: Bunnies are back. I saw this boat turning around a couple of weeks ago. I brought every Bunny I could afford into my super coach team. I just think they are a good team. We've forgotten about it because they had a shitt to start the season. The second coach, the whole thing. I think. I think they're going to be very good for this because.
Speaker 2: They do have like a top four roster once they get their side.
Speaker 1: But absolutely, Clauna Toungy has been excellent.
Speaker 2: Colaonma Tungy the last couple of weeks has been on fire. Latrelle is back to actually doing effort plays where he's doing hard RUMs.
Speaker 1: He's pissed off and he needs that, but he's.
Speaker 2: Not You know how Cody and Latrell can do pissed off but they end up just doing brain farts and getting sent off. Yeah, he's pissed off but focused. And to be honest, Cody Walker's got to be putting his hand up for Origin.
Speaker 1: He is so good close to the line. Well, they've just announced their team. We'll go through it in a minute, but he has missed out, which is a little bit disappointing for poor Cody. So you're right though they he should be in contention, particularly with the harves crisis that they've got going on.
Speaker 2: So it wouldn't surprise me. It feels like, looking at the outside kind of pretty much. I reckon Paramatta Even then, ty So Tigers and Gold Coast, the other sort of nine to fifteen could all go on a run and make the eight.
Speaker 1: Tigers Titans eels. Yeah. Yeah, there's a bit of parody in the league this year. It's quite good. Oh, this is why you've got to love your rugby league.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is that any team can beat any team on their day. Look what the Tigers beat the Panthers.
Speaker 1: Remember, yeah, yeah, it was a couple of years ago. I actually won a lot of money off that one. It was just like Battle of the Big Big Cats. I can see it going one way. Look, we talked about the state of origon just before they have announced the Blues team. The new South Wales team is out. We've also received a little bit of mail on the Queensland team. Now this is take it with the grain of salt. Probably by the time you listen to this podcast, you might actually know who is in that Maroon's team. But we're gonna we're gonna take it as gospel and so we're gonna we're gonna dive. It's from a very rebutable source, the notorious Pantsman Joel Harrison. So we're going to take a quick break. We'll come back and whip through those teams.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: We've just had a quick break for Dye to make a few phone calls. He's talked to some of the people he's connected with over there in the Queensland set up and he's got the team list for the Morons. I think we'll go. Do you want to go Blues first? Yeah? Blues first, babe? All right, let's go Blues first. So the squad list for game two reads thusly, Dylan Edwards back in at the number one.
Speaker 2: Jersey, So Teddy falls out.
Speaker 1: Teddy falls out, and I think that's Madge saying, look, I was right in picking Dylan Edwards. He's still the best player. He was just injured.
Speaker 2: Imagine if he gets a quid injury in training again and Teddy comes back and Brian Tore retains his number two jerseys, no controversy there. He's an absolute weapon. Stephen Crichton man and a match for the Blues losing. So Stephen Crochton has been one of the best players this season. He is absolutely incredible.
Speaker 1: This is big.
Speaker 2: Latrell Mitchell has been called in it sent it had to happen, It had to had to happen. The talk was, it's like how I think. I mean, I'll use a black Caps, which is a poor example. At the moment when you pick a side, you pick who don't you want bowling at you. I don't want like Lockie Ferguson bowling at me, you know, I do not want Latrell in big games running at me. And Latrell's the one who Latrell's the one who mate will actually win a game single handedly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he will. I think their coach whose name escapes me now because the second manage McGuire, no, no, no, the Rabbits Ben Hornby being Hornby. Yeah, career interim head coach.
Speaker 2: He's up for delim interim coach of the year every year.
Speaker 1: He was saying, Look, I don't know who they're going to pick. All I know is I would hate to have Latrell lining up opposite me. And I was like, that's exactly.
Speaker 2: Don't ever think so Latrell's going to be up against Vale Holmes. It's a juicy match out. Oh and that's the last thing that bel Holmes wants to see. Zach Lomax retains his jursey. I mean, he's having a year. He's having an absolute bumper year. Is someone whom I never really liked as a player. I'm coming around to.
Speaker 1: Him same here and I'm like, what is going on with the Dragons that he wants out? Hunt wants out? Hunt's just resigned. Lomax is playing the season of his life as Lomax.
Speaker 2: Gonna do you think he'll agitate to backflip and stay at the Dragons.
Speaker 1: The Dragons are doing a hell.
Speaker 2: Of a lot better than Power are at the moment they are. I just just a sideline this with I was thinking of Power Isia Papalei. You go into Penrith. He's going to be a weapon at Penrith.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he will be. And again he's the same Alkato theory if he wouldn't have done that if he stayed with us. But we digress. Jerome Lewite and at number six Mitchell Moses is in now.
Speaker 2: So interesting here Jerome Leway and Moses in the halves and it goes out. I would have been tempted to put Jerome Lewie at the halfback.
Speaker 1: Spot and put Cody Walker in yes one, because.
Speaker 2: Cody and Latrelle have that like telepathic yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, play together vulcan mind meld. Yeah.
Speaker 2: However, Moses has an epic kicking game and that's what the Blues.
Speaker 1: Lack, yes in game one. And I just feel like, if I'm a new South Welshman, I don't want Jerome Lewi as my halfback in state of origin, you know what I mean? I don't know. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but that doesn't fill me with comforce.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's a great half's parent.
Speaker 1: It is. Jake Travoyevitch will wear the captain's armband again.
Speaker 2: Reese Robson, John Bereenthal, Reee Robinson looks a lot like John Breenthal who played the Punisher.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I know the guy you're talking about. I don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's and Reese Robson. He made like forty five tackles or something in that first Origin.
Speaker 1: He's been excellent. Pain hears will be on the other side of the scrum. Liam Martin, Angus Crichton, Cameron Murray's. Yeah, he's been out with injury for quite a while. He's just straight back into the team there, Isaiah, you will come off the bench, so will Homali Alakuwatu, Spencer Lenu and at eighteenth man this week, meaning he will not play for the Warriors this weekend. Mitchell Barnett, No, great for him, disappointed for us. Great for him.
Speaker 2: It sort of means you might have a freshen up week if he doesn't play.
Speaker 1: He played amazing for us.
Speaker 2: As if you haven't heard the news, he's re signed for two more years at the Warriors. He's loved his time over here. He doesn't think he's done all he wants to do at the Warriors match. Yes, win us a comp he is, he's I mean, he deserves its spot now. I hope he actually gets some game time. Looking at this side though, that's a weapon of a forward pack and a bench.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Ken mckinness isn't even in there. He's nineteenth man.
Speaker 2: I'm glad to see Connor Watson in there. I think he's had a really good year for the Roosters.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh sorry, it's skipped over him. I thought Connor Watson was great. How about this that he missed all of last year with an injury. He started this year in New South Wales Cup and now he's playing State of Origin in game two. He has been excellent. If you haven't been watching the Roosters, he's been coming off the bench for them and he has been incredible.
Speaker 2: He plays with so much energy. I think if they can string it together. Granted it's very hard to tell exactly where the Blues.
Speaker 1: Are at as that game was lost with this sending off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so now it's going to be a cracker of a game. So here is the Queensland team for State of Origin Game two. Reese Walsh has been cleared of concussion. He'll be starting at fullback. Xavier Coats on the wing with Murray Tar Lungey, Valentine Holmes and the Hammer Hammersodabi Fido in the centers, Tom Dead and Daily, Cherry Evans and Halves. Reuben Cotter at prop with Lindsay Collins, Ben Hunt playing nine, Jaden Sewer, Jeremiah nan I, Pat Carrigan. The bench is Harry Grant, Mofotwaca for Less, kou Fusi and Kirk cape Wise.
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 2: Kurt cap wells in it's seventeen.
Speaker 1: Well, he's been out for about six weeks, it seems for the Warriors. He comes back in plays about seven minutes on the weekend and now he's straight into Origin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not saying not saying he was ever bad at the Warriors, but it's not like he blew the doors off. No.
Speaker 1: But I think this is what the Maroons do so well, is that they pick Origin players and they feel like they are building a Maroons team. Does the Blues to me feel like they're picking an all star team every year?
Speaker 2: Seek Cate Well at seventeen, what the Smack's of is like Maroons get out to a bit of a lead and then they bring on players like Cape Warre who will just tackle everything. He'll just shut the middle down. The Extended Squad eighteen is Origin Gags, Dane Gago nineteen is the Helium Balloon, Halem Luky Haleem Luky Well and Trent Loro Lero Well. I would that's a surprise.
Speaker 1: Helen Luky is a surprise. He was excellent to start the season, had some sort of horrific injury and then came back just a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 2: Again, but he had a pretty middling game against US.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but again, I just I just feel like they are building. They play like they are the Australian team, and they're building for the future, and they're bringing dudes through. And if you had the jersey last year, that means a lot. We want to bring you back in because of that. And I think that DCE at the Helm, you know, brings a lot of money to that.
Speaker 2: TCE is dripping mana like he seems to just get better and better and better. But he's thirty three, thirty four. He looks like he's comfortably got a couple of years left in it.
Speaker 1: That Yeah, it is epic.
Speaker 2: I mean the Blues they're playing in Melbourne must win game or we go to a dead rubber. So Madge is just throwing everything at the wall to win this.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't think he has I don't think he has. No. I still can't see why Spencer lien You deserves a spot over Mitch Barnette. That's insane to me. Yeah, I mean Spencer en You.
Speaker 2: I think he definitely changed the vibe in that game won when he came on. You know how, He's got the big flaring eyes. He freaks the shit out of people. Well, Mitch Burnette, these people of suiting. Yeah, I feel Mitch Barnett is more of an origin place.
Speaker 1: So do I. That's exactly what I was gonna say. Yes, I think he is too. Like he's just sturdy drop on a dairy farm in New South Wales. What are we talking about?
Speaker 2: He just get the adder between the fingers, yeah, you know, and just get.
Speaker 1: Out base to tip, base to tip exactly.
Speaker 2: Just fully unpasteurized, unpasteurized.
Speaker 1: Try scoring do your own research on unpasturized milk as well. I'm just saying this is the kind of God.
Speaker 2: Literally, only eight out of ten people die from it, Like, so what's wrong with it?
Speaker 1: Drink it?
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: When they passed it, they take out all the nutrients that make your bones grow strong. So they it's what they don't want you to know. That's what Big Dairy doesn't want you to know.
Speaker 2: I feel the Internet has just caused more controversy than actually ironing facts out.
Speaker 1: But I do think that he is a new South Welsh. You know, Madge was talking about all the stuff that they're going to go up in the Blue Mountains and take it back, get it away from the city, get it away from lattes and Bondai. If that's what you're gonna do, then Mitch Barnett is the man you need in your team. Yeah. But having said that, I don't think the Blues are going to win this. I think this could even best.
Speaker 2: No, you're never going to lose money betting on Queensland consistently, No you're not.
Speaker 1: And so that's how I think that one's going to play out. That is next Wednesday at the god awful time of ten o'clock. But we'll be commentating one.
Speaker 2: Which also ends up to really actually be quarter past ten, but ten past ten, quarter past ten by the time.
Speaker 1: Easily it is a week ruin of Origin because buddy and you just bugged for the rest of the week. I'd had a long.
Speaker 2: Day before the Origin call last time, and.
Speaker 1: Then I got home and you're all.
Speaker 2: You're still a bit fizzing, yes, just from calling a game.
Speaker 1: Get home.
Speaker 2: It's like twenty past twelve, and it's like it's Thursday tomorrow and I have stuff at like eight point thirty to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then you just you're in bed at one o'clock watching Origin berths on YouTube, Like I'm not getting to sleep right off the night. So yeah, so yeah, we'll be commentating that. We'll be commentating the Warriors Saturday five o'clock against the Tests. We'll be back on Thursday for another episode of the Mad Monday podcast. Thank you very much, Die very much.
Speaker 2: Enjoy Enjoy your week Australia with
Speaker 1: Australia with It.