Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from News Talk sed be.
Speaker 2: And welcome back to the Weekend Collective. This is the health up we want your cause I know one hundred and eighty ten and eighty text nine nine two. By the way, if you've missed any of our previous hours, don't forget to go and look where you get your podcasts. iHeartRadio and look for the Weekend Collective. But yes, as I say, right now taking your calls, and we've got a new guest in the studio. His name is Greg McPherson. He's a pharmacist and a biotechnologist and author as well, and we're having a chat about healthy aging and what science can do as opposed to just maybe eating a good diet and not drinking too much booze. There's a very crude way for me to summarize the issue on that one. But how would you want to live longer? And how do you want to live longer? Do you just want to live longer because of the number is? The goal for you is just to make sure that you live the highest quality life you can until your time's up. Anyway, Greg, good afternoon. How are young not tell let me just hit that button there, right, Tim?
Speaker 3: Yeah, great to be here, thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So look this is tell us a bit about yourself. So you're a pharmacist, and so you would have started your career with a pharmacy degree in working at local high street, et cetera. And you've made I guess a bit of a change from that.
Speaker 3: Haven't Jim, Yeah, definitely. I think it was about fifteen years ago sort of moved from dispensing pills to biotech, which is really just starting to understand the cellular causes of aging and dial into that.
Speaker 2: So what was the impetus for that though? Did you just sort of mather you read something, or curiosity and dabbling here and there and finding out what the science was and going hey this is interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all of the above.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: I'm a bit of a nerd, so I love technology, and certainly I was introduced to a company that focused on mitochondrial health, which are the tiny batteries in our cells that run down as we age, and then expanded beyond that into like how do we slow aging? What do our cells do that as we age? And is there a way that we can pull a lever or push a button which actually slows it down.
Speaker 2: Do you think this is I mean, this is a ridiculous question, really, But we're not talking about immortality, are we We're just talking about inevitably, whatever those battery cells are, they're still going to age, aren't they. We're just talking about we're talking about basically living better for.
Speaker 3: Longer, exactly that with the technology we've got now, really it's around how do we age better and live healthier for longer. Maybe sometime in the future that'll change and we will be able to live considerably longer. But right now, scientists are literally unpacking how we age, why we age, and in the labs they are getting incredible results.
Speaker 2: There's a part of that. I think science is amazing. I think science is the way to solve a lot of our problems. But there's also something about it that kind of freaks me out. Frankensteiny sort of we're messing around with your internal cells to make you live longer, And yeah, do you have that sort of thing yourself where you're like, oh, this is scary stuff or is it exciting? What do you sit on this?
Speaker 3: I think it's exciting, and the best way to describe it, I think is if you spoke to someone one hundred years ago and you said to them, they would like to give you an extra twenty years of healthy life, those people would have embraced it, and they would and we just take it as normal now that we can live to seventy eighty.
Speaker 2: Well, we haven't got that technology. Now we are living longer. Why are we living longer? Because it's the joke. It's like, oh forties, the forties, the new thirty, fifties and new forty. I use that line all the time because it suits me, but it feels true. I look at people from two or three generations ago who might have been in their fifties, and they looked like old people, whereas now fifties sort of genuinely sort of middle age.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, a couple of generations ago, you'd be packed off to the rest time at fifty five or sixty. And the whole reason we've got that pension at sixty five is that most people fell off the planet well before then. So you know, we just I think we're thinking differently. We're aging better in terms of just being more youthful on how we think and look. We get better at some of the food we eat, we're getting better at understanding what it takes to be healthier for longer, but.
Speaker 2: Just I can't quite marry that up with the massive difference we have got though, because are we really eating that much healthier than fifty years ago?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well probably not. Actually, when you think about what a lot of people are reading today, life expectancy is the average, right, So really, when we say that we're all living a lot longer, a lot of it is to do with childhood mortality. So reck in the early days, the average was dragged down because I think it was something like one of three children didn't make it past the age of five. So this is we've got better at childhood mortality. But you know, back in the you know, fifty hundred, two hundred years ago, there were still people living until sixties and seventies and eighties. They were just very lucky.
Speaker 2: Yeah. In fact, I think that was one of the reasons people had larger families, because back in the Victorian times, you know, not everyone necessarily made to their teens, did they.
Speaker 3: Well, In fact, I think some children weren't actually named until they got to the age of five because it was much not much chance they were going to get beyond that limy, that's pretty grid is quite grim.
Speaker 2: That is really grim. Do you want to live? What's your goal?
Speaker 5: Look?
Speaker 3: I just want to be healthy for as long as possible, and if we can add twenty years to like have the adulthood, then I'd be incredibly happy.
Speaker 2: So what about the quality? I mean, is it the quality? How does that balance? Because obviously, because of actually this is the problem. You see, because of science, we can also prolong our lives even though it's pretty bloom and miserable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well this is the problem.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: We've solved a lot of the things that stop us getting old, but we've now, I guess, hit a level where we've got these chronic diseases. So no one wants to sort of slip into a rest home and enjoy the we've experienced the joys of incontinence for twenty years longer. Right, That's not what we want. It's about how do we want to square the curve? So it means incredibly healthy until we're about to shuffle off, if you will, And it's expend the amount of time that you are healthy. So the average health span is actually only sixty three, So that's the average time that you can expect to be healthy health span. Yeah, that sounds pretty young, doesn't it. For it's super young. It's quite confronting when you.
Speaker 2: How much is it's just genetics? It looks bad luck.
Speaker 3: You know, look the older you get, you more, you see, it's it's luck that gets you to old age.
Speaker 2: Okay, so what are you doing yourself? Obviously we haven't perfected the science on this stuff yet, but what do you do to make sure you're living as long as you can as healthy as possible?
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely. So there's like a foundational five, right, which is about diet. We know that the Mediterranean diet is incredibly well associated with longevity. Exercise, so you know, getting thirty minutes a day of exercise is fantastic for our longevity. Sleep. When I was a student, it was like, I'll sleep and I'm dead. And it turns out if you don't you don't sleep, you will get dead. It's it's a really important aspect of your general health. Managing stress. And it's not the stress that's the issue, it's how you manage it. So you can have an incredibly stressful job, but if you have ways to do it meditate or whatever, or unwind you're in good shape, and then forging deep social relationships with your partner, with your family, with your pets, with clubs, whatever it is. And those those five things are actually correlated with adding up five to ten years of healthy life.
Speaker 2: So okay, let's look at something as simple as sleep. So if you're not getting enough sleep, what is the physical manifestation of that that shortens your life?
Speaker 3: You know, it's a weird thing and it took me a long time to get my head around it. But when you lose sleep, you're actually putting yourselves under a lot of stress. And it's and so you know, there are basically that's what it is. There are little chemical messages that move around your body that are unhelpful when you have less sleep.
Speaker 2: And does that sort of have an effect on as it I am? Is it hard sort of stuff or is it cancer sort of stuff? Or is it the whole span? Because I mean there's a lot of reasons why people, yeah, shuffle off this mortal coil.
Speaker 3: Absolutely no. Look, it's just really about if you're not sleeping well, proactively finding ways to do it, because yes, it does put your risk of heart issues of dementia, has many many impacts, and it's quite remarkable that your brain, how much it actually affects if we sell on your body, So lack of sleep, poor management of stress actually does imprint itself.
Speaker 2: And do you I mean you mentioned that the diet, exercise, sleep stress, I mean everything seems to tie back to the magic WED stress just about because having healthy relationships would help you deal with stress, Having good nded sleep would help you deal with stress. It's like stress is sort of at the apex of it. Is that the would that be the chief villain?
Speaker 3: It's a really good question, and I guess you're right. Absolutely, it's all down to putting yourselves under stress. And if you're not eating properly exercising, then yes, that's exactly what you're doing.
Speaker 2: We'd love to have your cause on this actually, are you? I guess the question is do you think about how long you're going to live? Or do you simply if you want to be healthy? Do you just think about how do you keep yourself healthy? So whatever your time is. Because I've never really thought about living longer, I don't think I have. It's an interesting question, have you, greg, have you thought about extending that number personally or have you just simply thought about it from the point of view of whatever time I have, I want to be healthy and be able to do as much as I can do for as long as possible. It's not about if say, let's say ninety is your number, does that bother you or is it just making sure that seventy to ninety is really pretty good rather than dreadful.
Speaker 3: It's seventy ninety years good. But it's also being around to see your kids grow up, maybe settle down, you know, and so that all those milestones that some people miss out on because they don't make it. That's that's a driver for me. I lost my father passed away in his early fifties, and that's that's had an impact as well. I don't you know, I think that was a huge gap in my life and I don't and I'd like to not have my children experience that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, we might tell you right now and just we'll come back and explore a bit more further about what the science is doing. But if you'd like to have a chat with Greg about, you know, if you've got some questions about what it means for you or whether you need to make some changes in your own life or the philosophical question is it's like the Queen song, do you want who wants to live forever? Well? How long do you want to live? But what is it for you? Is it about extending the number or simply just making sure that whatever that number is as healthy as it can possibly be, which I think for me is probably the question. Although if somebody said all your numbers eighty two term, I'd be like, oh, wouldn't mind her. But more than that, so I don't even thought about it. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty text nine two, So it's eighteen past four news talks'd b and did you know that one in six New Zealanders experienced hearing loss? And choosing the right hearing solution for your individual needs is important. Your local Triton Hearing team will work with you to find the best hearing solution for your listening needs, lifestyle and budget. So if you or someone close to you as considering hearing aids, the twenty twenty four Consumers Guide to Hearing Aids is out now and available exclusively from Triten Hearing. It's the only truly independent guide in New Zealand. So you know you're getting the best advice. Find out about the latest hearing aids from top brands. There's information on everything from features and styles to a price guide to help you choose the right hearing device for your lifestyle and budget. To order your free twenty twenty four Consumers Guide to Hearing Aids, simply visit Tritonhearing dot co dot nz or you can call on eight hundred forty five forty five forty two. That's eight hundred forty five forty five forty two, Yes, and welcome back to the show. My guest is Greg McPherson, a new guest on the show. He's a pharma assistant by a technologist and looking at the science around making basically living longer. Eight hundred and eight ten eight. If you've got any questions for Greg, we're going to have a chat about the science in just a moment, but let's take a few calls.
Speaker 4: Sue, Hello, Hello, Tim, good afternoon, and to you Greg, I just I don't want to hijack your program, but I was fascinated to hear you list the five factors that lead to healthy longevity. A better agent than that sort of thing longer life anyway, I worked in currentary care for almost twenty years, I.
Speaker 2: Suppose was that was that primary coronary care.
Speaker 4: Did you say? It was currently intensive care, but mostly currentary care and I worked for oh god, it must have been twenty years. Anyway. When I started there in the sort of mid to late eighties. Anybody that came and that was lucky enough to survive a heart attack on the street or out on the farm or whatever, like a lot of them just dropped years. But those that came in with a you know size for heart attack and had a rhythmias and things like that, I mean, we could not treat that heart attack. They died. They died or we gave them drugs or defibrilated them if they went into curdiair careers and we sort of could treat the complications, we could not treat that heart damage. So a lot of people went, you know, went home with damaged hearts, and of course that reduced their life expectancy. Now a lot of farmers just sort of a dropped at sixty or had you know, big heart attacks at sixty because of their diet and that sort of thing. But in my twenty years there, I saw the most astonishing changes to people's survival with heart conditions and particularly you know, heart attacks and that sort of thing, and how quickly we treat them and how we prevent that heart damage and metical technology. It's just amazing what.
Speaker 3: You're so right, Sue. And what I'm seeing now with some of where we're heading is that they're not too distant future, we'll actually be able to take a couple of cells out of our body and actually convert that into like grow a heart with it. So the technology is getting so advanced now. So yeah, it's remarkable.
Speaker 2: Are you just so basically are you just sort of saying that with the technology we have these days, we're giving people much better outcomes because how quickly we can intervene and make.
Speaker 4: Lots of factors. I think the tribe intervention decently. I mean we can. But we saw a lot of drug trials that you've throng polytics. That was the real beginning of being able to treat the heart attack and prevent the damage from happening if we had to get them to them quite quickly and they use the clock dissolving drugs.
Speaker 3: That's right, So, like I just you're going to say that, you know, probably what five fifty years ago, it was the undertaking called if someone had a heart attack and now and then it became you know, we got CPR, and there's just been so many advances now so you know, they're not too distant future. It could be, you know, a heart attack and you you're okay for ten to fifteen minutes and they'll be able to bring you back.
Speaker 2: So can I just ask a quick question, after all that time spent in currentary care and seeing the people go through what they've been through, did you make have you? Did you make any choices about your own health having seen the cautionary tails of people who needed emergency medical attention.
Speaker 4: I wish I could say yes, but it's taken me until I sort of retired to think about it, to think about it. And I was a nurse. With my generation, I probably partied too much. A lot of us smoke, and a lot of a lot of us gave up. I didn't give up till later in life, and it really has been an awakening for me to retire and start to think about these things. And I think that that's probably a lot of health professionals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I see every generation perhaps doing things differently and better all the time. And this is what's so exciting, really is that the youngsters are going to that around now, are already starting to think about healthy aging.
Speaker 2: I think that actually Sue's answer to that, which is, you know, nice and honest and sort of frank. As part of the problem is we don't think about trying to look at live healthily till we've maybe that horse has bolted and we look back and we go, oh, what can I do now? It's like, well, you know, it would have been great if you hadn't done all those party drugs and alcohol and saturated fats for the first forty or fifty years of your life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. And I remember talking to a young lady coming out of a conference about last year and she was going, my goodness, everybody told me to party up in my twenties and thirties because that was your last chance to do it. But really, actually you really need to be thinking and having an algevity mindset right from your twenties.
Speaker 2: I actually, I think there's a bit of luck. There's actually there's a lot of luck and novels and that there's genetics, and to be honest, my lucky side of things is I've never been good with alcohol, so it a took me one or two bs and I was on my you know, that was it. I was a weeping mess. So I never got really and I sort of consider myself lucky because, yeah, because of a low tolerance and I never really dug it. Whereas unfortunately for some people, they have a sip of alcohol and it's like, oh my goodness, what's this magic Elexa, I'm going to get stuck into it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like I enjoy a glass of red wine, but unfortunately there is no safe limits with alcohol. They've discovered.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so eant. Does that mean you've stopped drinking red wine?
Speaker 3: No, because I enjoy it and you've got to you know, extend your life, but enjoy the time you have as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's funny enough. That's a bit of a theme I raise in our money are it's all about you know, saving for a time and things like that. It's like, you don't want to save to so well that you're looking back with a lot of money on a life that you haven't lived. So it's it's a philosophical things exactly that Look, well, let's take another call Bevan.
Speaker 6: I had a couple of questions. The first one I was just wondering around stress does it Does it permanently damage yourselves and your body in any way? Like for example, you know, I work in quite a high stress environment, and you know, and and you get pretty stressed out and then you sort of go to the part and stuff. But I was just wondering, here, does the stress actually permanently, you know, scar yourselves? And the second thing was that is resilience probably more an issue. People think they're stressed, but they're just not resilient.
Speaker 3: That's a great question, good Questian Van. So the answer is does stress affect yourselves? And the answer is absolutely yes. I'll give you two examples. We have these little things called telomeres and the caps on the end of your DNA. And if you if you had a twin brother and he managed to stress, but you both had the same job, You're telem would be shorter than his, and that essentially means that you have it, like I guess a worse prognosis if you both have a heart attack on the same day, but the one of you which had the shorter tellmes is actually going to fear worse, and in terms of resilience, it's actually not the stress and it's how you manage it. So really it's important if you're in a high stree's job, focus on what you can do. Is it mindfulness, is at gardening? Is it? Whatever it is? But just do something to de stress.
Speaker 2: And I think the question is can you recover from having had a stressful his job? So that's what's behind.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, definitely, So the answer is yes you can. So any time to start editing stress. You know, the best time is today, that will probably the second best time is today, that the first best time was perhaps ten years ago. Sort of thing.
Speaker 2: So some people thrive on stress. I mean you hear the often quite a sort of thing like some stress is good, yes, but when we all need a level of stress, and there will be people who just who are resilient, who thrive on a stressful environment. While that it might for instance, I was thinking, here's a simple one. Being a chef in some sort of really high pressure environment would probably be an incredibly stressful job. There must be people who, you know, while it is stressful, they thrive on it because that's what keeps them, gets them out of bed every morning? Is that sort of stress? Okay? So lot if you're if you're thriving on it, does that make sense?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 3: Possibly not, Possibly it's slowly damaging you and it's perhaps in a dream like a drug, like a drug that you've got. So no, I mean a little bit of stress is really good. Actually you can actually see pretty positive gains. A good example of that is going to the gym and putting stress on your muscles and your head back and your muscles kind of breaks down and rebuilds a bit stronger. And that those examples can happen across the board with whatever you're doing. But chronic stress not so good.
Speaker 2: Okay, there was a question I had coming out of that which was brilliant and I completely forgot it. So let's get to get into the science of things now. So what where are we at with some its and genuine making a genuine difference by I don't know it would it be taking a pill? What would it be?
Speaker 3: Yes, experts think we're about three to five years away from a prescription pill that'll actually slow aging. And every week just about there's a different lab that's reporting some sort of slowing aging effect on animals. So recently there's there's a drag called wrapper micin, which is a drug that normally is given for transparant recipients and it helps your body not reject that organ, but if you take it once a week instead of every day, it actually triggers your body to think that it's actually fasting, and fasting is one way to extend your lifespan and health span. And they mixed rap of micin where a chemotherapy like a cancer drug essentially, and they got thirty five percent life extension and those those animals, so slowly but surely they are unpacking the drivers of aging in our cells and learning how to apply the handbrakes. So this is happening just about every week, if not every day, and slowly but surely we will get to a point where we can find a therapeutic that we can take that's actually going to slow things down. And there are six drugs right now that are the leading contenders. And what's really interesting is a third of them help us manage blood glucose better, so actually getting glucose or minimizing glucose in our blood. So it's a really big clue that we're actually consuming a little bit too much sugar or maybe a lot of sugar, and that just puts our cells under pressure. Because we've got to think about how we were two hundred years ago, ten thousand years ago. We used to move a lot to chase food, we didn't have much sugar, and our body and our cells actually evolved to operate efficiently under that scenario. So we stroll into this beautiful time that we're alive right now, and we're not moving as much and we're eating too much, and these are actually really significant negative factors on our health.
Speaker 2: Actually, we had this conversation last week with a health coach, Kent John's was and it was about you know, when you think you've let everything go and it's too late because you're massively overweight, and just the idea of getting exercises just almost too much. And he made the point that if people stop eating, you know, reduce your processed food and cut out sugar and don't even he said, without even exercising, just check out the changes it would make. What are you like with the sugar?
Speaker 3: I sugar minimize, right, and I like to have a fast couple of times a year where I just really yeah, So there's a really interesting gentleman called Vaulter Longo, but he's based in between Italy and in the States, and he's worked out a protocol where you can just essentially have a very low calorie diet for about a week and do that maybe two three times a year, and the health benefits are a phenomenal in terms of reducing inflammation and helping How.
Speaker 2: Do you keep functioning if you're fasting? That's I like food, and I must say, the idea of fasting just oh god, I can't you know. But what was your experience with that?
Speaker 5: Well, I.
Speaker 3: Like, I find it easy. I just just basically I have a cup of coffee when I feel hungry, or a cup of tea, have a glass of water. So and that's pretty much what I do over how long? I do it for five days?
Speaker 2: Bloody hell?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Now, so what if do you exercise?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exercise, and but you take it easy towards the end of the week. Right, So the purpose is not to really stress your body too much more than the lack of food. But you have this incredible ability when your body is in kind of hungry mode, if you will, then what it's doing is it's actually doing housekeeping because it's getting energy from some of the fat that's in your body. But it's also identifying cells that are a little slow, I guess, not working quite as well as they could, and it takes them out of circulation, if you will, and recorcycles the contents of those cells.
Speaker 2: When you save coffee, do you mean it like a latte? Yeah, black coffee, Oh, black coffee, not even the milk. No, Oh gosh, that sounds sounds dangerous.
Speaker 3: Well that's yeah. Look it's I mean, obviously you've got to have a chat with your doctor about it and all those sorts of things, and you've got to go into it reading about it so that it's not you know, because fasting for some people, like a diabetic, it's not a great idea. So you know you're thinking about these things.
Speaker 2: Don't do it just because you've listened to the radio.
Speaker 3: Absolutely not to have a chat with your doctor to have a talk about it. One of the interesting things is this thing called metabolic flexibility. This is where your body runs on sugar and it runs on fat, and it's a little bit more's a little harder to run on fat, So you get this kind of you feel super hungry, initially because your body's go and give me sugar. That's what I want. That's the easiest way to get energy after a wee while, like you might skip breakfast or you might push breakfast out a few hours and you just have a slow program to get yourself used to it. And then it's like running, right. It never used to be a runner and then and I used to just be able to run lamp post a lamp post, and that was that was like hard, right, But eventually your body clicks into it. I can do this and keep going. And so this is not unlike just perhaps having a little of it late breakfast, maybe missing breakfast and going to lunch. This is teaching your body that it can be flexible and start to actually go for the fact if you will.
Speaker 2: Because one of the on the fasting side, it's I think it's the one thing I've I'm trying to work it distilled from some of the health advice, is that that twelve hour period where aim to have your evening meal twelve hours you know, wait that it's twelve hours before we have breakfast sort of thing. And even that is that called is that what intimidate fasting.
Speaker 3: Is it's exactly, and it's just the same sort of thing as talking about what we were doing ten thousand years ago when food at times wasn't abundant, and so we have these pathways which keep us alive until we get to the next meal, if you will. And so that's really what it's doing. And you know, if you do the research, there are significant minutes for intermittent fasting and then occasionally doing a week long fast is really helpful. But again under doctor supervision, have a chat so that you can really talk about what your goals you're trying to achieve, and also making sure you've got proper nutrition when you're doing it.
Speaker 2: It's interesting. I mean, just on my own for my own thing, I do a couple of overnight radio shows and I always make myself have breakfast before I finish it, like four am, five am, and just while the Olympics have been on, I haven't. There have been a couple of times I thought, actually I don't think I'll do it, and I actually haven't missed it, which means I've gone for like fourteen fifteen hours without eating. And because I like, you know, when I eat, like enjoy food. Actually it's not the worst thing in the world. Yeah, and that is a form of fasting. I guess if it's fifteen sixteen hours, yeah, good on me. Then there we go. Just asking for a friend, I em twenty one minutes to five news talks. He'd be back with some more calls and text in just a moment. Yes, welcome back. We have to go with the odd cliche song choice when you're talking about living forever, forever young of course. And my guest is Greg McPherson, a pharma system biotechnology biotechnologist, that's the one. And he's written a book, Greg, what's it called Ageless?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Well, that's easy to remember. Ageless by Greg McPherson. And where do people get hold of it?
Speaker 3: Through Upstart Press? I think they google? That should be on Amazon as well.
Speaker 2: Is it one of those books that just talks about the science and how exciting it is it's an interesting read from that point of view. Or does it give you sort of specific prescriptions or ideas for living longer?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it's really born of a conversations I've had with people where they go, you know, there's no way that we can live longer. So I've actually done a short history of longevity, and then I go into what we've gotten now available to us that we can use to slow aging, and that's foundational five. But there's also so interesting supplements that you can take, and then talk a little bit about the future because I think that's where the exciting stuff has happened.
Speaker 2: I guess the question is at what point do you trust the future? And like somebody can come out with, okay, here's an example. When we were denied pseudoep for dream, the pharmacists were all selling finallet prene and it's crap, it's the plasce ebo is better. You better to take a sugar pill and pretend it's really powerful than finallet prene. So when does the science around aging? When do you think you would trust that this particular treatment or pill or whatever it is is actually genuinely going to make a difference rather than the placebo effective Like I feel great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Look, there's there's all sorts of first movers, I guess out there who are taking supplements which you know in mice models and animal models are extending their life. So and we're not we're different, but we're also mammals and so we share some of the same biology, and so it's logical that these may help us, but really we've got to wait for the clinical trials to come and that's really where we'll be able to say, take this and it'll give you five years, ten years, whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's all about being able to have a clinical trial, double blind test and having cogent is that the right provable results where you can say, well, this works because we've compared it against this group and hear the results.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right now. I think one of the up and coming molecules is I think called any men and this is a we have this molecule in our body called NAD and it's the most abundant molecular in our body after water. So it's quite important in terms of what it does in our cells. And it declines from our forties sorry, quite precipitously. And so when researchers discovered that, they went into the lab and said, what happens if we top it up? And what they found was that these generally mouse models, but a lot of humans are taking this molecule right now, is that these mice became healthier. They exhibited heart disease a little later, brain disease, little bit later. So these are this is the threads that they're picking it too, And.
Speaker 2: I guess they're trying to find out what the side effects may be as well, because unintended consequences is a big thing.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, absolutely, so there is you know, there are theoretical risks of some of these things, but what we're finding is that that manifests fairly quickly in the lab. So yeah, we know it's relatively safe.
Speaker 2: Yea. By the way, did you cut out dairy just because you don't like dairy when you were fasting or because you were just genuinely fasting and just genuinely fasting, Okay, you didn't resort to energy drinks or red ball or.
Speaker 3: Anything nothing like that. No, just running on coffee and cups of tea.
Speaker 2: Okay, what do you make of those energy drinks? And when they take the sugar out of them.
Speaker 3: Look, even if you take sugar out of these things, the body still thinks it's sweet and it fires up all the things that associated with sugar, and it's just bad for you.
Speaker 2: Okay, good stuff. Thanks Richard.
Speaker 7: Hello, how you doing. I'm sorry, just listening on the radio. Yeah, I'm listening to your conversation very good.
Speaker 3: Thanks Richard.
Speaker 7: Where I was going to comment on this generation we're in now, in this last fifty years, we've all developed these We've got obesity worldwide. And you know what was happening going back one hundred to hundred years, every great religion, Christianity, Buddhism, they all had fasting as part of their foundation and on a behigh and we fast once a year for nineteen days only sunrise the sunset. But the health benefits, apart from the spiritual side, it's just phenomenal. And look at the Muslims. Is about one point nine billion Muslims in the world. They all fast for thirty days. And I mean it's just that it's a spiritual fast, but the physical benefits can be phenomenal. I think you're letting go of a lot of heavy metals and things that are a lot that build up in your body that might take on.
Speaker 2: Good on you, Richard, one place where religion maybe got it right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's some ancient wisdom amongst all of that. Absolutely, and a little fast does not hurt anybody.
Speaker 2: Okay, right, and thanks for you cool mate. Can't get a.
Speaker 7: Hi.
Speaker 4: I was watching this.
Speaker 5: Episode on the TV. They had Chris Hems with the shock episode, and in that one he went to the Norwegian Arctic and was swimming in the ice cold.
Speaker 7: Weather.
Speaker 5: I suppose a lot of women got to see him take his shirt off. Yeah, but besides that, I mean, does it actually work?
Speaker 2: Does swimming on the swimming on the Arctic sort of thing, ice bards and that sort of thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, these guys, and then he also did saunas, so the woman where they had thinking of time to see him with his ship off and we got that cold.
Speaker 2: Water saunas and ice bards. I think we can take Chris Hems without Yeah, he's probably genetically is one of the more advantaged ones.
Speaker 3: Possibly quite quite possibly. So sauna bathing is absolutely unequivocally shown to reduce your rates of mortality, so very very good for you. The jury is still out on ice ice bars. Yeah, except for athletes who do it for a different reason, don't they. Yeah, that's right, but it certainly there are some risks associated with it in terms of heart attack because of the stress of actually getting into the cold border. So I'd sawn a bay ahead of ice. But there's still so many benefits in terms of reducing information with ice bats, so it's I think it's worthwhile.
Speaker 2: Okay, We're going to come back with some more calls and I've put if you quite a few texts in here. We'll see what we can squeeze them, because time is not on our side right now. It's eleven minutes to five News talks 'd b. That's welcome back to the Wealth, to the Wealth Club, the Health Hub. What am I saying, Tim Beverage. My guest is Greg McPherson, who is the author. He's a by the way, the author of a book called Ageless, but he is also a pharmacist and buy technologists and an interest and where science is taking us when it comes to keeping ourselves younger and healthier for longer. Let's take another call Lindsey.
Speaker 8: Hello, and then guys, I just had to ring up and let you know what I do.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 8: I walk a lot. I don't have breakfast, and I even exercise at nighttime when I'm watching TV. I have a mini bike which is set up so it's an arm movement. I don't like tagging tablets. I've got box for tablets here now that are make me feel bad. I think cool, I've got to go for a walk, but I might do half an hour and I know I've got to go back home because it's really affecting.
Speaker 7: Yea, So I am.
Speaker 8: Four months off eighty six.
Speaker 2: And are you pretty good about things?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 8: I feel very good. I like to listening to some of your progress wishally the health one, and it makes me feel as well, I'm better than a lot of people.
Speaker 9: Oh okay, Well, nothing like a little bit of sharden freuder like you're it's fantastic and you sound young so and a lot of actually aging well is about attacking it positively.
Speaker 3: And it sounds like your way across that so, and you're exercising, congratulations.
Speaker 2: How much of mindset? Just the fact if you think you're younger, you feel like you're young compared to your contemporaries and stuff, and you've just got this idea that you're the young guy in the room or the young girl. Does mindset make a difference to you?
Speaker 3: Huge? Absolutely No, it's quite bizarre it still. I mean, there is a mind body connection and if you age positively, you your body will respond to that.
Speaker 2: Actually, you know, really it's a tragedy really, but you look at politicians and if you want to see the effect of stress on people when they get into government. I'm not sure it's opposition so much, but when you see politicians getting into government, it's usually people who are carrying the brunt of responsibilities, and it is I think most people notice how people age in the context of a job like that, because it's stress, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, sleep, probably Obama and you looked at him. He was a young man when he entered, and he was a gray haired man when he left. So it certainly does put immense pressure.
Speaker 2: On what's a good night's sleep. Somebody has asked, is it about the length or is it about the quality?
Speaker 3: That's a great question. I think it's seven or eight hours. If you can actually be asleep for that long, then you're getting good quality and duration.
Speaker 2: Because it's funny, I probably don't sleep quite and near it quite long enough and regular enough obviously with my hours. But there have been sleeps when I've gone to bed and literally had six hours, but I've woken up after a really fantastic sleep, and I'm like, hell, I think I can get up now. As opposed to poor quality, we're sort of lingering for a bit longer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, No, think the body seems to be able to deliver that quality to you when you need it. So sometimes, yeah, sure it's a four hour sleep can sometimes be okay, but on average seven to eight hours is perfect.
Speaker 2: How do you get your kids to actually take their health seriously? Somebody's messaged, We've got our kids with a twenty and a thirteen year old to think about living better. I can't get my youngest to think about eating better and exercising more. My twenty year old doesn't exercise. It all started vaping. How do you influence your kids in that respect?
Speaker 3: Yeahs so difficult. It's possibly you've got to start when they're super young and you're starting to explain to them, like better food choices, getting involved in exercise with them so that it's just normal and that's what they do. So starting early with kids is super important. And if you missed that window, then some gentle healthy messages as they get older.
Speaker 2: Gentle ones. You can never nag someone who eat well. That's the worst thing in the world. Hey, thanks so much for your time, as time flies. Agreed. So your book is called Ageless, it's sort of all good booksellers. I'm assuming absolutely, it's great but first and age less, go and check it out. And also if people want to check out your online presence, it's SRW dot co. Simple is that SROSRW dot co. I'm sure if you just google Greg as well and we'll probably lead you in that direction. Thanks so much mate, Thank you Tim. Right, we'll be back. Smart Money is next. This is news Talk ZEDB. It's three and a half months to five.
Speaker 1: For more from the Weekend collective, listen live to News Talk ZEDB weekends from three pm or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.