Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks at B. Follow this and our Wide Ranger podcasts now on iHeartRadio. Straight down the middle.
Speaker 2: Of truck this guy.
Speaker 1: Try get inside the game from every end goal. It's Rugby Direct with Elliot Smith and Liam Napier powered by News Talks B.
Speaker 3: Welcome into Rugby Direct powered by Habit Health Physio book today and stay in the game back for another week, two episodes a week now, of course of Rugby Direct. My name is Elliott Smith and someone that maybe needs to go to Habit Health. Maybe not the physio necessarily, although he has broken his wrist, but he's under the weather. This week is Liam Napier, so joining me once again. Welcome in, Nick Buley Bills, thanks for your time on that Rugby Direct.
Speaker 2: Happy to be first cab off the rank here. It's been a pretty bad run, hasn't it for Liam? What are we round six? But all the best to our favorite Cane train fan. Fan. Are we calling a fan? Well?
Speaker 3: I think we are.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think he's fully on the bandwag and forget any sort of impartiality. He's right in the fan. And look, you know, this week we'll try and not make it as Crusader's focus, but I think it would have been more Hurricanes focused if Liam was indeed here, Let's rip into the weekend. That was round six in the books for Super Rugby Bules and the Blues beating the war Tars thirty five twenty to round out the round on Saturday night. This was a really good performance I thought from the Blues game that was slipping away from them. You felt maybe just after halftime when the Waratars had extended their lead out to twenty points to eight, but what I really liked from the Blues was there was no real panic at that point. They basically stuck to their script. They continued their game plan trusted it would work, and I know that's a bit of a cliche, but they just stuck to the process and believed that they were going to write the ship and as soon as they got one back through Cody Vais, it felt like they had fully swung the momentum and they weren't even chasing the game at that point. I thought, you know, the schooline doesn't tell the full story there, but I thought it was a pretty assured performance from the Blues, especially the last half hour of that contest.
Speaker 2: I totally agree. Yeah, what is that in the end twenty seven unanswered points? I think four tries thrown in there. They really just kicked into gear as you say, after that VI try. I thought aj Lamb was particularly strong and they got some real spark off the bench through Tofa Funaki at half back. I thought Boden Barrett pulled the strings as he always does, and as you say, it was an assured performance, no panic and commanding. Pretty concerning for the Warratar's side. They came out with a hiss and a row. What's that? Three or maybe four losses in a row now, But there is some really encouraging signs there for the Blues. They'll be a little bit miffed as to their starts, and I know they're a little bit scrappy from a starting perspective against Mawana as well, so they want to sure that up. But signs of encouragement there for ern Cotta's side, and then you look ahead at their drawer. They take on the drawer back at Eden Park, a team that we all know don't travel well. And then part of this Easter weekend by round, which we're going to get into shortly then the Hurricanes down in Wellington that will be a real litmus test. But no, I thought a place where it can be tricky, Sydney. The Warrataza is the one place that they really tend to lift and get up for. In a game that was slipping away, they really turned it on in that last half hour.
Speaker 3: They did indeed, and they did it without Golden Popolti who went off at halftime as well. They had to reshuffle their pack a little bit as a result. Tory in Barns comes on. Look he's having a storming start to the Super Rugby season. It was in the wider training group now is a Blues regularly came off the bench and had a full forty minutes performance. You know, he threw everything out. I think he had about eleven twelve runs in the end good the last try. But players like him are just slotting into roles really nicely for the Blues. They play little system sort of style of rugby union. I think that the strength of Barnes is that he has slotted in, found a real niche and he looks like a really promising player. You've seen a bit of him down you know in christ Church with Canterbury and the NBC hasn't had too many chances there, but he looks like a real comer for the Blues over the next few seasons. And last week they just resigned him for a couple more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was just going to say they made the core early and rightly so to promote him through to a full squad contract for twenty seven and twenty eight. Look, I must admit smothe, you know, watching him sparingly for Canterburen, you'd get the odd game, the odd start at six or eight, but primarily off the bench. I thought, look, you know, you look at the cattle that the Crusaders have in the loose forward department. You look at them going out and getting an Oli Mathis, which is a totally different type of loose forward. But you could kind of understand what the Crusaders were thinking in terms of that. They would have been to keep Tory and Barnes, but they were happy to sort of, you know, spin their luck, if you like, in the draft system late last year with these wider training group contracts. But the Blues have found a gym that whatever he's done over the preseason, he looks like he's bulked up, but he is fully yeah, buying into the way the Blues are playing. He's got that ability to range out in the wider channels and equally as effective in tight so no one to follow. The Torian buds has been one of the stories of the season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, here's indeed Dan. Look, I just want to give a shout out to to aj Lambon and look, maybe he comes into it a bit later on when we give out our three two ones, but he's going overseas after the season. But to me, it feels like he's played all blacks fifteen rugby, never really had a look in at the top level, but that try he's scored just the power that he's able to use, but also that the speed that he's got. He's so powerful, and I just don't know that he even got a proper looking at test level. And I believe we may be letting a bit of a gym go in aj Lamb at the end of the season. You know, he's versatile, he's played wing, he can play both positions in midfield. You know, strong bench option as well, given the play places that he can cover in a back line. But I think he beat six to seven defenders on the weekend and a few of those would have been in that one tribe, but just a really outstanding player that maybe just didn't get the look and he deserved it at the top table.
Speaker 2: I agree, and look, I think his best position as center. And unfortunately for aj Lamb, you know, he had Rico Juanna ahead of him for several seasons. He's now really getting a chance to show how impactful he can be, particularly in terms of that physicalness, the ball carrying. Yeah, and there's a litany of players in there around that sort of twenty six twenty seven year old age bracket who are heading overseas at the end of the season who you feel like New Zealand Rugby didn't quite tap into sort of or get the full potential out of, and a J Lamb would have to be near the top of that list.
Speaker 1: They would.
Speaker 3: Indeed, Let's move for the backwards through fr Saturday night and the Crusaders fifty Mauana Pacific at twenty one if Miwana, if games of rugby were forty minutes, Mowana would be pretty dangerous. But as it happens, there are eighty minutes and the Crusaders just too good after halftime too clinical. They weren't great for patches of that first forty minutes Bules, but I thought they were asshured after the break. And you know, this is a Crusaders team down on a few players, obviously with injuries. Cody Taylor wasn't there on the weekend. They had to go down to their fourth choice ten. But a good performance, perhaps not great from the Crusaders, but when you can turn that on the second forty you know you're not doing too bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, we'll move on quickly here because apparently the Rugby Direct listeners don't want to hear the Crusaders commentator and a proud Cantabrian talk about the Crusaders. But look, I totally agree. I thought it was pretty clunky first half and without some of those regulars, it wasn't that flash. And look, the Crusaders are trying to force things. I think that the games against Mowana you kind of lean into that, perhaps a little bit too much and try too hard. But then we saw when the like said Lester Fining, a nook who came off the bench, ow impactful he could be. And another shout out to I know I'm probably a flaw investor when it comes to Shay Fee Harckey, but I thought he was superb stepped up as a goalkicker, scored a couple of tries, showed how good he is in the air with that cross field kick from Cooper Grant. His stocks arising as far as I'm concerned. So look the Crusaders. They go into the by first time they've won back to back, so they'll be happy, but knowing that bigger tests are to come.
Speaker 3: I completely agree about fee hockey and I've banged the strum for a couple of years. But the way that Tess rugby is being played at the moment, your skill set is so important around the aerial game. He may not have the odd and out pace of others, you know, he may not have the ability to beat defenders, but what he does have is that aerial skill, and he's pretty good at the other two facets of play as well. I think he's a pretty good defensive reader. He can fall off the odd tackle, but most wing is susceptible to doing that. But I just think you've got to be a little bit pragmatic around what the strengths are and then you throw on his goal kicking massive boot on him. Handy in that facet, I think he's well worthy of a look for for Dave Rnnie and co. This year.
Speaker 2: I totally agree. No, you're preaching to the converted already here, Elliott. I think he's the full package. I know they've got big tickets on him here down in Crusaders countries. Obviously from came through the Auckland rugby system, but another that's just resigned and put pens of paper. I think another two years on his deal, so I think that we're still going to see the best at Schaeffe Hockey, certainly in a Crusaders jersey, and time will to out to see if he'll get a black one as well.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. Let's move back to the Friday Games and the Brumbies beating the Chiefs thirty three twenty four. If you switched the TV off at twenty four to seven and thought that's a chance for an early night here, the Chiefs are going to kick on with this one. Will you missed a quite manut a half hour of rugby as the Brumby stormed back and won that contest in remarkable fashion. James Slipper breaking the record slips out for slipper, I think was the catch cry last week, Well like they're going to have a pretty poor night until about the sixty minute mark when they roared back into life. Lonigan with a try Charlie Cale who has been so good this year, and Meredith gets another that all of a sudden they're in front, and just a remarkable turnative events. And then right at the end the Chiefs with a chance to win it and Corey tool goes and Burgles try down the other end and make sure they don't even get a bonus point out of it. What did you make of that contest?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I uppeoseally from a Chief's perspective, first being twenty four to seven in front with an hour to go, even on the road at a tricky place to go like Canberra, that those are the sort of ones that you've got to put away. And I don't quite know what it was, whether it was they thought that they had the game done and they just switched off for you know, ever so slightly. You can't afford to switch off in this competition, particularly against a team like the Brumbi. So we know, as we cast our minds back to was it round two when the Brumbies put fifty on the Crusaders. They do finish very well, and I just thought some of the leaders there and the Chiefs, there were a couple of moments there, of course, after those trials were scored, with you just I'm sure these conversations are happening. You know, let's get back to basics, let's get back to what we have done well in that first hour. But it just they couldn't turn the tap off once the Brumbies got going. The disappointing factor for mine, as you sort of alluded to there, Elliott, the Chiefs had the opportunity to steal the game or win it back twice. Damien McKenzie missing a seventy seventh minute penalty from what about thirty five meters outright in front, that's disappointing. But not only that's you know, where was the cool heads And that seventy ninth minute mark, you know they're a meter away from breaching the Brumbies defense. It got a bit how to scouter. All of a sudden, Simon Parker's got his head over the ball. Where's Xavier row marshaling the troops? And he sort of fumbled and bumbled it and Corey Till sort of, you know, just seizes on the opportunity from the Parker pass off the grass to run what ninety eight meters intercepted and deny the Chiefs bonus point as well. I think, yeah, John O Gibbs that that flight to Perth. I heard them with Jason Pine on Weekend in Sport yesterday on news Talks, he'd be it'll be a long flight to Perth. They'll be not necessarily soul searching, but one that got away. And I know we're going to talk about the playoff picture as things stand a little bit later in the podcast, but these are the sort of results or going away from something like that empty handed when you're up by seventeen, it really isn't excusable.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and I think home advantage in the playoffs is so crucial. We saw that last year. You know, the Chiefs had home advantage and the Blues were able to sweep through and win that game, but they didn't have home advantage for the next two weeks as a result, and that probably threw away their chance of winning the Super Rugby title. They had to go to christ Jurch. So the high you are on the ladder the better it is at the end of the season. I think that's where the Brumbies have sort of folded in the last couple of years. That've been very, very good, but they've dropped the odd game away from home in the regular season that maybe they should have won, and that has moved them down the ladder a little bit. Games like this, when they've sawn back and managed to win, we'll get them in the right positions towards at the end of the season. I'm not sure about that game management at the end from the Chiefs. I thought it was Look, you could probably argue that a drop goal, if you miss it, it's a low percentage play, you're better off a retaining position. But they were so close to the line that surely you should be able to put Damien McKenzie into the pocket on the twenty two in front enough protection there to either give yourself the option of the drop goal or drawing the defenders so that you can create something else. I just thought it was a really poor passage of leadership and game management from the Chiefs to close out that game. Drop goal would have won it. They went for the five point truck. Can understand it. They'll bang on the line a little bit, but three is as good as five. In that situation, I would have gone for the drop goal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we just don't see it, do we. In this part of the world. There's just a real lack of confidence and going for it. It's, for whatever reason, just considered a low percentage play, perhaps because it's just it's never really tried. But I think you look at the English Premiership or Top fourteen and six nations, they're popping drop goals most weekends. So yeah, that's a very good point.
Speaker 3: And to start the round, what a performance from the Hurricanes. Fifty points to seven to beat the Highlanders behinds drew first blood through jkb Rotami Tavuki Nepkins and that was their night done. From a scoring perspective, the Hurricanes just very very good, very assured. I know what my co host be saying. The cane train is beginning to really hit its straps at this point of the season. First Darby, that was the question mark over them, while they took that first box. Just a clinical, dominant performance from a team that looks like and knows the way it wants to play this season. We've seen Hurricanes teams in the past perhaps be a little too flashy. Well, to me, I thought on Friday night, they especially in the first forty they played a little bit like a rugby league team. And what I mean by that is that they knew where they wanted to be in a couple of phases time. They just plotted their way around the park. And you think about the Great Storm teams where Cameron Smith was direct can play out of hooker and Dammi half and he'd know where they wanted to be in two sets time, and then Cooper Kronk would trust that, and it felt like the Hurricanes zero say, we're just playing that start of play on the front foot rugby moving up the field knowing where they were going to be, and the holand has had no answer to try and stop it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a very good point. And the one thing I was going to add, which was sort of similar to that around that league pattern is there's no fixation on the first five having to be at first receiver or Jordi Barrett having to be at the second man to touch the ball because he's wearing the twelve jersey. You know Barrett will jump in there at ten and then it'll be love out the back, or it can be Billy Procter or Callum Hark can sweep or you know even cam Royguard can step in there in the first five position. They're also skillful there with their ball distribution that it doesn't really matter. But as you say, it almost felt like a glorified training run there at some stages there for the Hurricanes. The way that they were able to sweep the ball from one side of the field to the other while making ground and I suppose to knock on the canes as you say, Eliot, and the past has been too flashy. But the way that they're pack fronted as well, and they're so physical with their ball carrying. I mean, just look at the way that Devin Flanders just bulldoze his way to the line to finish off that special team try early in the second half. Guy's like Peter Larkey, I thought that the scrum was dominant again as well as is still without Tyrrel Lomax. That there's a lot to like about this Hurricanes team and the way they performing. They've got depths, as you say, it was that first New Zealand Derby. There'll be tough at Derby's to come just having a quick lockdown their list and I know they've got the Reds next, but then it's Blues and Chiefs. So again I want to reserve a little bit of judgment for the Canes, but you can only play what's in front of you. The way that they're going about their work, they racked up one thy and twenty one carry meters. It was just totally and utterly dominant. I thought Cameroy guard was superb. I thought Reuben Love was superb. Yeah, there's a lot to like, but not if you're a Highland Is fan.
Speaker 3: No, let's stick into it to Ruben Love at ten. There's been cries for him to get more game time at ten. He got a little bit last year, but that was in the back end of the season after he come back from injury for the Hurricanes. Didn't really get a looking at test level last year. But I thought, you know, again, they weren't up to much the Highlanders and he could only play what was in front of them. But I just thought that's a performance that there's a lot to like about from Ruben Love. Perhaps needs to work on the game management a little bit, but again, those tougher tests will come in those games that you mentioned in the weeks that will follow, But that has to be the nineteen option for the Hurricanes the rest of the season. I know they've been short of a couple of players and you know Harkens slotted in at ten, but if you know, I think they've just got to keep rolling that out because it's a very very dangerous combo and with an at all Blacks level, you know, accommodations are important at super level as you're flow into the test side too.
Speaker 2: Oh, I certainly are then the more reps that that little triumphant with Roy Gyard, Love and Barrett can get at super Abia level. That's only going to put their cases forward for Dave, Rennie and Cove towards the back end of the season. As you said, I think that was the perfect game for Ruben Love in terms of its openness, its expansiveness. The real tests for him will be on those cooler nights when the winds rarely picking up in Wellington and he has to game manage a little bit more in perhaps with a Ford pack that isn't going as going forward as often. So look, I'm very encouraged. I've been one who's been waiting to see Ruben Love play a lot more at ten through circumstance to a degree, we're going to see a bit more of it now, but it was a very exciting watch to just see how good he could be, particularly with ball in hand.
Speaker 3: Absolutely one of the Highlanders, i mean, fired one shot right at the start, didn't really fire another one for the entire eighty minutes. They look like a team down on confidence. They're certainly down on a few numbers. They've got a few issues at Locke, Recha and Passeitor at team not sure he's the answer, but they just don't seem like a team that has any confidence about them at this point of the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the point about Passi Tai, I think last time I stepped into this podcast, we were talking about cam Miller not being the answer either in terms of his creativity at ten. So you feel for JB, Joseph and Cobe because you just look at the cattle that they have and this has been an ongoing issue with the Highlanders in terms of their recruitment, and you can pare that up against the Crusaders of Hurricanes, the Chiefs and the Blues and it's just it's not the same. So what they did so well in twenty fifteen way back when is they got the absolute best out of the players.
Speaker 1: That they had.
Speaker 2: But I just feel for them because I don't really know what the answer is. That they might scrap away and try and sneak into the six, but I can't see it at this point in time. And yeah, as I said a lot a wee while ago, now, just the losses of Farby and Holland, and I know he hasn't played a super baki game of the loss adl and pledge you too. It's verging on terminal now. And now that we're at round six.
Speaker 3: And let's take quick break, come back with the final four after this time, Now for the final four on Rugby Direct, friend of the podcast Steve Lenthal had a message and suggested that one of the final four topics be what was the better fifty point win on the weekend Hurricanes or Crusaders. Maybe we'll just leave that one and Lim can answer that when he gets back to the podcast at some point. But the actual final four, Jason Holland announced on Saturday, Alien actually broke this story appointed as the Blues coach from twenty twenty seven. Of course, former Hurricanes head coach. They went to the All Blacks as a strike play coach and assistant backs coach. Didn't work out. He wasn't going to be part of the setup even before Scott Robertson got sacked, went back to the Hurricanes as an assistant in the season, and now he lands the top job at the Blues. He surprised by this, Bills.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not surprised. It seemed pretty obvious to me that when Jason hyle And left the All Blacks coaching mix late last year he was pretty keen to get back into a head coaching gig, and in fact, sort of throughout the Scott Robertson tenure, with Jason Holland and and Leo McDonald coming in having been head coaches at Super Aby level, that was always perhaps the concern or the query as to how these guys would go slotting back in as assistants. So I always thought it was going to be a temporary measure for Jason Holland once he landed back at the Hurricanes. I suppose that you could say a little bit surprised that he's landed in another New Zealand Super franchise and rather than hitting overseas. But as he pointed out to Jason Pine on News Talks here Be yesterday, it was an opportunity too good to turn down for me. It'll be interesting. I was supposed Smithy to see how much he wants to bring in his style versus the Vern cot away. And I know you'll have some thoughts on this as well as the Blues play by player commentator. But as we know about the Blues, you know, particularly in year one when they won the title under Vern, it was no free, abrasive sort of buying aga into that Kluemont style and being very direct. Jason Holland, as you outline being that skills specialist for the All Blacks coach or strike play specialist, you know, I suspect he'll be looking at a bit more of an expansive style of play. And I suppose secondary to that too, coming in in a World Cup year when it's tricky for Super Ugby coaches, they'll know they'll be told from the top down. Look, this is how you have to manage Bowden, Barrett, this is how you have to manage your other All Black scattle, Patrick Tupelo two and the likes what with the Jason Hollands in a bit of a holding pattern in year one in twenty twenty seven and then can rarely go full steam ahead from twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 3: Well, I think he won't want to throw the baby out with the bath water. The Blue has done some good things in the last couple of years. One that's needed in the title. Last year they sort of caught fire a bit too late in the season and maybe could have even gone a bit further After that, went over the Chiefs and the knockouts and went close to beating the Crusaders in christ Church in the semi final round. So he won't want to throw away too much. But I think he's also going to have to adapt next year because he's coming into a team that will be missing Dalton Papaletti who's going overseas, a Joe Lamb who's going overseas. I'm trying to think there's any o other ones from the Blues that'll be departing, but there's certainly a couple of players there that he's going to have to replace. He's obviously got touring in Barns into a bigger role next year, as we've touched on earlier in the podcast, Boden Barrett maybe gets one more year out of him next year, but probably won't resign beyond twenty twenty seven. You wouldn't have thought New Zealand Rugby, So nixt year is going to be, as you say, very very interesting, and it may be that he's sort of plodding towards twenty twenty eight in terms of recruitment and where the certain players are going to be in certain positions. By that engineer Peyton Spencer. We saw a glimpse of him on the weekend. He will no doubt play a bigger role over the next couple of years Arico Simpson and there are others coming through the under twenty setup. So yeah, twenty twenty seven Loombs is a sad, a bit of a holding pattern. Yet I'm sure the Blues won't see it as that and won't go in with that mentality. But given the changes that have been made to their personnel and as you say that they're looming thing of the World Cup, it's going to be interesting to see how he manages that. So we wait and see top number two in the final four. Do we have our top six already in Super Rugby Hurricane, not in this order necessarily, but in the top six currently Hurricanes, Blues, Brumb's, Reds, Crusaders, Chiefs on the outside looking in the Wartars three points behind the Chiefs, then the Highlanders, the Drewer, Force and Moana Pacifica. Can you see anyone from outside that top six after six rounds Bulls moving their way into that top six?
Speaker 2: Oh this is a bit grim to say after that context, isn't it. But yes is my answer, which is a bit of a shame. And look, there will be some jeopardy on the order, which is exciting for the fan. But as you outline there Waratars, Highlanders, Drewer, Force and Mowana, I think you've put a line through the Drewer, the Force and Moana the Wartars too. Is if they can just sort this shit out a little bit. I mean, I know that they're without Joseph Suli. They started with two wins, what they had three losses and a bye since they do have the Highlanders and the Force twice the back end of their season. But then you look at the quality of the top six and who of them is falling out? I was impressed by the Reds as well. We didn't get to the Reds drawer, but that's a really tough place to go and win. So they're four from five, they've had a buy I think the Brumbies will be there as well, and those four New Zealand anyways, so do you disagree.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't disagree. It's this here. I can really only see the war Retahs coming through out of that lot. And the question mark I would have is funny enough with the Crusaders, they've got the drawer after the buye on Good Friday, then they're away to the Reds in the Force. Now they should probably win both of those, but the Reds are tricky and Brisbane and the Force hasn't always been a happy hunting ground for the Crusaders. But again, by good enough to win both of those games and to come home launch the new stadium against the Waratas. Should win that. But then they finished and I know they've got to buy in the middle of it, but they've got four Derby's in a row to finish. And look, I'm not saying they won't there and look there was some promising signs on Saturday night, but I just I think that that schedules really difficult to end the season Hurricanes away, Blues at home. Then they have the buy, then they've got the Chiefs at home and the Hurricanes at home. Now they've front loaded the games and so they can have a run at the new stadium and then it'll be fantastic. But that's a lot of you know, last four games, you know, depending on how much they need out of it. I just think there's a question mark there.
Speaker 2: No, I totally agree. And look that they've known obviously, they've had this draw out for some time around the back end of their drawer and how tricky it is and how they've played a part in that because they wanted the big fixtures to be in one in Zied Stadium to Kaha. So it's a very good point. And look, they have been clunky these first six weeks, so I suspect there will be there. But yeah, no, you make a very very compelling case that they might be the ones to fall out.
Speaker 3: Easter Weekend next week. In you raised the point to me this morning. It's only three games on Easter Weekend, the Crusaders against the drawer and the last dance at a Polo Project stadium. On Good Friday. We're all looking forward to that Chicks warret seven oh five on Saturday, and then the Reds Force only three games. It surprises me a little bit. Last year I think they had a full slate and a couple of times last year I think I had a four game weekend, so there were more teams with the buy, but didn't quite realize there's only three games. Do you reckon it's crowded down to crowd figures or just a I guess a good opportunity to give teams a buy. At the midway ish point of the season.
Speaker 2: I was listening to a little radio show called The Mike Costing Breakfast this morning. You might have heard of it, Yeah, and Andrew several and the commentary box mentioned three games, and I just I just couldn't believe it. I I'd to go check and look, there is situation or last year where they'll have four game rounds or this is obviously you know, it's awkward having eleven teams, so I get that, but just to have just to have the three and look, I know in the past and particularly here in christ Church, I think where they can I know they've got one on Good Friday, that last game at Apollo against the drib But where they can, they do request to not play Easter weekend, a lot of people clear out from christ Church and go to Kai Tidy or Hanmer or Akrol wherever. So But then I look at it on the other side of the Code Battle if you like, or the Battle for Eyeballs, and look, it's a seventeen team competition in the NRL, but there's a full slate of eight fixtures, the first ones on Thursday, the last ones on Monday, so that there feels like an audience there that is willing to engage, certainly at least at a broadcast standpoint. So I do find three a little curious, to say the least, and perhaps something that needs a little bit more examination.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does seem a little bit odd, but I'm with you. I know the Blues struggle to get crowds. I think at an Easter game a couple of years ago maybe, and it didn't work out well. And there's all sorts of licensing rules around booze and various things around those days as well, and how much booze or any booze you can sell, and that obviously hits the vendors as well, So there's little things like that that play into it. But does seem very very quiet for a weekend where a lot of the shops aren't open. You've sort of got a little bit of a captive market. At least, as you say, from a broadcast perspective, options are limited in terms of entertainment. You think you might make it the most of that, but I'm sure there are compelling reasons behind closed doors as to why that is not the case. Topic four in the Final four Blackfood squad for Pacific four has been named. Plenty of new faces that Whitney Hansen is named in her first squad. I think she's got eight potential debutantes in all, but I guess, as always, it's about the omissions and the players that aren't the air and that the names that stand out are pretty big ones as well that have been regular faces for the And I don't know the full story behind some of them, but Ilitana Ohio was part of that World Cup squad last year. She's not there. Just the two half backs that Winnie Hansen has gone with, Taraturner, who was very impressive last year for the Blues, gets her opportunity. So look, start of World Cup cycle bules a bit of a changing of the guard, but there are some familiar faces the as well among those players that are missing.
Speaker 2: Yes, certainly familiar. It's not baby out with the bathwater, is it, from the transition from the Alan Bunting era to the Whitney Hanson era. But of course there was always going to be some gaps to fill, and this primarily with the Pack four series being in April and the World seven series still being ongoing or entering the what is it called the World Championship phase or whatever they've coined it this year, So no no Braxton, Sirens and McGee, no Stacy Waka, no reci pory Laye, no Georgia Miller, so there was always going to be gaps in of course the retirement of Portia Woodman Wickliffe as well. So an opportunity, as you say, for some of the impressed at OPEKI level or even FBC level to stake a little bit of acclaim while others are absent for various reasons. And the one bit actually that caught my attention Smithie and I may have missed this, but obviously on the all black side there's been all this debate or discussion with a new coaching regime. Where does that leave Scott Barrett in his future as all Blacks captain, same co captaincy model, at least for the pack four from the World Cups. I saw that listed this morning with Kennedy to Kwafer and Rueje Demant, and look, maybe that's because there isn't as many other compelling leadership options elsewhere, but obviously Whitney Hansen has full faith in those two to lead from the front.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there's a little bit of a leadership Voard. I think in this squad. And look, these these two captains have done it for it for a number of seasons now in head Demant's a World Player of the Year at a certain pointer on the back of that World Cup win in twenty twenty. So it doesn't feel like there's a lot of emerging leaders in the squads. My Kabaklani Ruz strikes me as a future Black Fans captain. She did it for a Test a couple of years ago when there are a few injuries and players rested, et cetera. But doesn't necessarily strike me as you know, there are a lot of options to choose from, So I think the status quo keeping there makes a lot of sense compared to the Black Funds sevens team. And Darre say that most of the players in the park and natural leaders in their own way. You can make them the captain and they'd lead. There. Just a whole lot of leaders out in the park. You know, Georgia Miller feels like she's been run forever. She's still what twenty two maybe twenty three, she's vice captain of that team. They are stacked with all leaders across the park. That doesn't seem to have translated to the fifteens necessarily. So I think that's a job for Whitney Hansen and the coaching staff to do, is to bring through the next generation of leaders, because I don't think there are too many other compelling options at this point in time for the Black Funds, especially as the head to the World Cup. You know, you'd think demand will be there for the next tournament in twenty nine, but is suily a given to KWAFU the same thing. So if there is to be a change, you know, who are the options that Whitney Hansen can go to. So that's a pretty fascinating question over the next few years as she takes a full helm of this team. Let's take a look at the MVP voting for the weekend that was. This was a tough round to dish out some MVP votes in the end. Look, I went for Roy Guard for three. I thought he was just so good. Look, I could have gone probably Rubend Love, maybe ifinny ung An all four for three, But I just decided that he was so good, you know that that quick thinking tap for the try, you know, so good across the park. I thought he was really really good over the course of the day. A j Lamb gets my two points. We touched on him earlier. I thought he was outstanding. Flincher New York gets one for me as well. If he didn't see Saturday nights game. Not just the try he scored, didn't score, but he set up basically that was remarkable. You know, it made a break from fifty meters hour. It was taken just before the line gets up plays half back in the subsequent phase. One of the subsequent phases after that could have gone himself. Off loads to George Bell for the try. He was everywhere on the park and got pinged for one pen Rid couldn't quite forget that out went back in one penalties for the rest of the game from scrum top. Just a really good performance from Fletcher and Yule. What are your three two ones bills?
Speaker 2: Well, funnily enough after you say that, Simili, in terms of being a hard round, we've gone on a very similar theme here, and I am very pleased you brought up Fletch and Yule because he's one of the unsung heroes down here in Crusaders country and much loved and adored. So I gave him my one primarily based on that run alone. That was one of the great sights seeing a big man an open pasture like that. And similarly my tours are say aj Lamb I think was super and a real difference maker for the Blues, as we outlined earlier in the podcast, and I was tossing up, I had to go with a hurricane. Could it be Roy Guard, could it be Love, could it be Finang and off for I thought, you know, the latter was really just on the end of the chain through all the hard work, a little bit in field. So look, I've gone with Ruben Love. I thought he was tremendous the way he was used, in particular his crossfield kicked to set up one of those tries. I thought it was a very commanding performance and plenty of X Factor moments as well. So yeah, three for Reuben Love and yeah, let's see where that leaves him in the in the standings once once you do all the tallying up, So that's.
Speaker 3: Right, I'll throw them to the pot. See where that happens. Of course, this is the Rebel Super Rugby MVP voting comp where there are five teams ineligible for voting points in terms of the Australians and the Druids. So you know, you take out a few players and it becomes a very very different voting tally Bulls. Thank you so much for joining us on Rugby Direct. As always, no doubt you'll be back, maybe very soon, we'll see, but thanks as always for your your time on Rugby Direct.
Speaker 2: Always a pleasure. Look forward to Thursday. I keep my phone.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, please do do not turn your phone off. That is Rugby Direct powered by Habit Health book today and stay in the game. You can get in touch with us as well. I want your mailbag questions for Thursday Rugby Direct at USTALKZB, dot co dot MZI thanks to Mark Kellie. We'll see you next time.
Speaker 1: For more from NEWSTALKSEDB, listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio