Speaker 1: Football Fever with News Talks MB's voice of Football Jason Paine and Bonnie Jensen. Hi there and welcome into Football Fever.
Speaker 2: It's a chance for us to kick around the major issues of the footballing weekend in an Australasian sense, a league men's and women's action to discuss send a bit more besides I'm Jason Pine Bonnie Jensen is here.
Speaker 3: Hello, Bonnie Yoda piney how are you good?
Speaker 1: Divided focus last night?
Speaker 2: Wasn't there at seven o'clock last night New Zealand time we had to decide which was on the big screen and which was on the second screen. With both Auckland FC's men and Wellington Phoenix's women playing at the same time.
Speaker 1: We can talk a bit about.
Speaker 2: How to avoid scheduling clashes like this, perhaps a little bit later on, But can we start with Auckland FC. Nothing against the Wellington Phoenix woman. But let's start with Auckland f C, who in the ninety fifth minute found another late goal and another when they go back to the top of the table. They're actually just the real deal, aren't they? The Black Knights.
Speaker 3: Oh, they just get the job done.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure how I'm not sure where it comes from, but they're on another level, this team. And you know, they went through that lull kind of a few weeks ago when we were questioning, you know, how good really are they? But as you say, party, I think they are the real deal.
Speaker 2: Well, three games and nine days that's tough anyway, plus a bit of travel in there too, quite a bit of travel they had to. They played Melbourne City, then they got on a plane and played Adelaide midweek and then went from Adelaide to Sydney for the game last night against the Wanderers. Three games and nine days. That off the back of a five game street where that only won one of those five. They've gone win, draw, win, seven points from a possible nine. Couple of clean sheets in there. They're pretty bloody good, aren't they.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they are.
Speaker 4: And you know those teams that you mentioned, two of those were the two other top teams in the league, Melbourne City and Adelaide. So to come away with what is it, eight eight points, so seven human points from from that week is pretty incredible. And I think you know, probably that we lull they had where they had a couple of defeats was just what they needed. And I think Steve Coriker has nailed keeping the squad competitive and rotating the team and making each player kind of earn their spot. Yeah, it's come down to the perfect recipe for the success that they continue having.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's done some tinkering, hasn't he. I think he's what he's done, is what it seems to me. Anyways, he settled on seven or eight players who are pretty much going to start every week, you know, all things being equal with regards to injuries and things like that, and then he tinkers with the rest and he's still I think, trying to find the right combination up front. We've talked about how he's gone to the front two center forwards with Max Mutter and Gazumo Mine. I think Gazumomie is one of those guys who will start every week. It's just what he done around him. But Max Marte has now started the last three games, those three and nine days. Whether he goes back to just my up top and changes it again, I guess remains to be seen. Liam Gillian's an interesting one, isn't he. He came off the bench in the game against Melbourne City, didn't feature last time off the bench. Sorry against Adelaide didn't get used and last night wasn't in the squad at all, so I'm not sure what's going on there.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I spoke with Steve Croker last week or just before last night's game, and he used the term he wanted Liam to freshen up. I don't know whether that kind of you know, Curriker's using that as he's not playing to the standard he is and hents he needs to be dropped, or maybe he just genuinely needs some time away from the purch. He's had a huge responsibility, he's not on the score sheet, you know, and he's again probably not playing how he started the season.
Speaker 3: So a little bit fishy there.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I am really gutted for Liam because I think, you know, as a young player who's started exceptionally well earned as all whites call up because of it, and yes he hasn't scored, but to be dropped out completely out of the squad for two games in a row after that start, I think is a bit harsh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's some real competition for those attacking places at the moment. For the last three games, it's been Randall, Rogerson, Marta and my who are the sort of the front four if you like. That's been consistent for these last three games and nine days. You know, you throw Liam Gillian into that mix, Nadal, but I know who I'm going to get to in a moment. Marley Francois is now also there. Riley Bidoir has come off the bench in the last two games. So yeah, like I say, Steve Carriker, I know he hasn't settled on his best, on his best eleven or who comes off, but it seems to be working because Nate, I know again for the second time in four days, came off the bench scored a goal last night. It was in the ninety fifth minute. All four of his goals have come off the bench. I just think that's his role. He's an impact sub, isn't he.
Speaker 4: He definitely is, Buddy, And we spoke about this last week as well. Maybe we've commentator cursed it a little bit, but we kind of said we weren't, you know, one hundred percent sure on Nadal Modino, like in his ability.
Speaker 3: I think I said he's not fit enough.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure, but yes, I think they've nailed that spot with him off the bench, and you know he clearly loves it and is owning his role.
Speaker 3: You know, he probably prefers to start, but if you're coming off the bench and scoring every time, I would much prefer doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well he's certainly making a name for himself in that role. Auckland FC continue to be the masters of late goals. That's nine goals this season now after the eighty third minute and one, two, three, four, five beyond the ninetieth minute. This is and they often talk about their mantra, you know, never give up, never back down, we keep going. All those sorts of things. They're kind of almost corporate cliches, aren't they, But actually they are walking the walk of that talk.
Speaker 4: They are, I understand as well. They're following you know, a lot of the training regime and data and insights and stats from AFC Bournemouth obviously the sister club or owned by the Black Knight Football Club Bill Foley as well.
Speaker 3: Which I think really helps.
Speaker 4: You know, if they're trying to keep to a Premier League standard here playing in the A League, they're just going to outlast and outrun these teams. And Steve Corker said it in the press conference last night. He's trying to keep this team really fit so they can out outlast as I say, on the contrary to that, though, I'm sure you've got the stats. They're pioneers, the amount of shots they had on goal, and they weren't clinical enough. I think they need to start making their jobs easier. And again it comes down to that forward rotation that Steve Krok is obviously trying to figure out.
Speaker 1: Twenty two shots on twenty two shots one goal.
Speaker 4: Crazy yeah, crazy, and they had majority of the position right or yep, a little bit more, yeah, and they just they need to make their lives easier. It's great they can get the job done in big moments. Those late goals they're going to come in handy, and that mindset and that attitude's going to come in handy when they get to the playoffs. But they need to start, yeah, kind of getting on the board earlier.
Speaker 2: It was a pretty evid game in terms of possession. Auckland had the better opportunities. I think, really good chance for Logan Rogerson. I'm not sure what happened there when he put it into the side netting from only a couple of yards out. I thought he must have seen a flag up because it was like he wasn't even really trying to put it in the net.
Speaker 4: It doesn't seem like Logan Rogerson, who's been actually quite quite clinical from that back post. He scored a couple from there. So yeah, lapse in concentration, that happens. But again, it can't happen if they are wanting to you go all the way, as they've kind of discussed, they need to start finding find in the back of the net. So obvious, so cliche. And that's what Steve Corriker said again when I chatted to him last week. He said he wants these forwards, these abundance of fords, he's got so many options, players missing out on squads. He wants them to stand up and put their hand up and go, yeah, I deserve to start. So I'm sure that's what they're all trying to do.
Speaker 2: Indeed, at the back, another clean sheet, eight clean sheets now the season and fourteen games. We know they kept at what five in a row at the start of the season, but water tight at the back again. So their top now thirty points after fourteen games, two points ahead of Adelaide, who do have a game in hand, So if Adelaide win that game in hand, then they would go.
Speaker 1: Back to the top.
Speaker 2: But if we look back to last season, the Mariners after fourteen games, who finished top of the regular season last season, after fourteen games they had twenty two points, already have eight more points at the same stage than the side who finished top last season. It's it's remarkable, really, and not team you asked me this morning, because any team ever won the A League at the first time of asking, and the only one who has is Sydney FC in the very first season of the A League when everybody was in their first season. And ironically enough, Steve Coriic has scored the winner in the Grand Final. Are we going to have a full circle moment here in May?
Speaker 4: I actually really hope that's the case with Steve cara I really like the like the guys. Obviously a brilliant coach. But as we've seen some clips on social media the last two, the last two matches, his passion, you know, in that Adelaide game when he turned around and you know, fasts up to the to the Adelaide supporters, and he's even again last night. He's so passionate and I love it and you can see the fight. He's really, you know, really wanting to go all the way and make history.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you get the feeling he was getting it from the Adelaide fans during that game, don't you. And it was in the one hundredth minute. It's just a mental game of football. That Logan Rogerson, who hardly ever scores with his head, you know, his attributes are his pace and things like that. But yeah, the header at the near post, and yeah, all of a sudden they get the point, they go on, they get another late goal last night, so.
Speaker 1: Top of the table. Auckland left c.
Speaker 2: They'll come home and next host MacArthur on Saturday night or Saturday afternoon five o'clock, whatever you want to call that afternoon evening five o'clock anyway at go Media Stadium. MacArthur having good season. They're third at the moment, so they won't be an easy beat. They've already come to New Zealand once and beaten the Phoenix earlier this season, so it'll be another good test for Steve Corriker's side when they take on MacArthur five o'clock on Saturday.
Speaker 1: Football Fever with Jason Vine and Bonnie Jensen.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the other seven o'clock game last night, the Wellington Phoenix Woman against the Central Coast Mariners. So do you think they can find a way of not having shit a clashes when two New Zealand teams are playing.
Speaker 4: I mean it's so hard, you know, like they obviously want to prioritize Auckland f C.
Speaker 3: Dare I say it? You know?
Speaker 4: And and the kind of the women's the woman's competition is always the understudy. It shouldn't be, but it is. And yeah, I'm just I'm gutted that it was so hard to watch the two games last night, especially when you've got to come and review it on a Monday on the podcast. But yeah, gutted about the scheduling clashes. And I hope next season when there's you know, the Auckland f C women's team as well, that's obviously going to make it harder. But I mean probably the Australian fans and teams put up with it all the time, so yeah, maybe I shouldn't complain.
Speaker 2: No, Yeah, it's interesting, isn't it. You know when they do the scheduling, do they do they look at Okay, the Auckland f C Men and the Wellington Phoenix Women. There's a schedule class here, so we should we should change it, clearly they don't, and I you know, obviously if it's two teams from the same club, I don't think I've ever seen stand to be corrected here. And actually something is telling me that this might have happened that both Phoenix teams, the men and the women have played at the same time. I don't think that's happened. Almost almost certain they would keep them apart, as they will when the Auckland FC women join. I'd say they'll keep those two teams apart in terms of scheduling. But I guess when you go, you know, Auckland FC men and Wellington Phoenix Women, it's only a clash for people like us, probably.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that's a big part of the audience as well, the New Zealand based fans. And because there are only three teams right now for next year, it's or next season, it's not going to be like the amount of Ossie teams. Like maybe they should consider that New Zealand market. I'm not sure, but it is a tricky one.
Speaker 2: Yep is indeed all right, So the Wellington Phoenix women going down one nill to the Mariners last night. I don't know, Bonnie, this felt like points dropped to me.
Speaker 4: I see, I feel different, Piney. I think that they should feel gutted that they didn't get the win, especially because of the next two tough games that they're going to have, and this was probablyably the easier one out of them. But you know, it's so hard, and to kind of quote Paul Temple who spoke after the match, you know, it's so hard to play away and get points, and the league is so tight in that that woman's competition that you know it's actually a big ass to go away and get points.
Speaker 3: They didn't last night.
Speaker 4: A draw would have been nice, But I don't think they necessarily have to feel too down about it, especially given the goal they conceded it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oi, what a goal from a sixteen year old Tianna Fuller was born in July of two thousand and eight. Man, that makes me feel old and she's scoring a specky like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's actually crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, really really good goal And those kind of moments for young players, they get picked up pretty quickly, So yeah, tough to concede that one, and Paul Temple said it hurts. It hurts a bit more when you can see one like that because you have to kind of congratulate the player.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Think the Phoenix woman, they still look good and I still think they're a top six side. I think this season's different to any other year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hope you're right.
Speaker 2: And I've banged on about this last couple of podcasts that you know that this is the time last season where the Wheels came off just a bit and they failed to make the top six. Yeah, look, I agree, they do still look like a top six side. Well, they're sixth now on goal difference, he out of Western United. They've got nineteen points, so have Western United. But the Phoenix have a much better goal difference. But then you look up the table and the Mariners are only one point ahead with that win last night they jumped over the Phoenix, and Brisbane, who the Phoenix play next, are only two points ahead. So look this time next week, if the Phoenix can go to Brisbane get a win, you know we're talking about a top four side potentially. So yeah, I agree with you. The raw materials are definitely there. A couple of chances. I think Grace Jarlay and Olivia Ferguson probably had the better of the chances. Yeah, look, I'm certainly not saying it's panic stations. I just thought they probably would have thought they deserved something from last night, even a point.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, definitely, and they would have targeted that game knowing the next too that they've got coming up. I think now what's key for this team is getting some points from the next two games, obviously really really difficult, as with Brisbane Raw. I'm surprised that they are only a couple points ahead of the Knicks on the table because they have been such a solid, high scoring team this season. And then I think it's Melbourne Victory next, which is again going to be another tough asks. So I think getting points from those two games is going to be crucial.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess they'll look back to the times they've played those teams already. They beat Brisbane two to one in Polydoer and a Lilongo with two goals that day, and then they got that drawer away at Melbourne Victory with a very late header from Maniah Elliott. So you know it's a reverse in terms of homes and aways are there, away at Brisbane and home to Melbourn victory, but I don't reckon they'll be intimidated or not up to the challenge. And then it's a way to Perth and then a couple of games against Adelaide United at home and Western Sydney at home. In fact, March they have four of their five games at home. So as long as they can just stay in touch, I feel like they can really come home with a wheat sale in those home games at the end.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that would be perfect for them. And they've had such a good run I believe. I want to say it's like six games at home unbeaten or something crazy like that. So yeah, as you say, Piney, as long as they can stay tight. I think someone who's been stand out for me is Carolyn Balau and goal. I think he's made such a difference a season and kept the team in it, you know, more often than not. And yeah, hopefully it's those players like that that step up. I'm still not sure Paul Temple knows who is kind of front three are similar I guess to Auckland FC.
Speaker 3: But they've got options, yeah they do.
Speaker 2: And he's stuck very much with a sixteen squad A strong squad, hasn't he It's the same sixteen pretty much all the time. Although I see livingham got on last night. She's been outside of that squad. But yeah, you're so right. It's he's you know, he's got Manaiah Ralliott and Emma Main and Tanaka, Olivia Ferguson plays most weeks, alisall win him most of the time, and a Leilongo of course.
Speaker 1: But yeah, he can.
Speaker 2: He can sprinkle in players here and there to try and you know, to try and keep it keep things fresh. Amelia Abbott, we still haven't seen her. I asked Paul Temple about that last week in the media session. He said, yeah, no, she's just she's getting back up to fitness, he said, you have to remember she has she's hardly played, and you know, everybody else in this team is now thirteen games into a season, so to get her up to you know, up to speed. I think she might have also picked up a slide injury. So I mean she might be a player who comes into the team with great effect later in the season.
Speaker 4: Oh, unreal, that'd be perfect. Yeah, I'm not sure why that Tanaka was left out of the squad last night could be a niggle, but she's someone that's jumped in and out most weeks of the starting eleven. I kind of rate her, and I think these Japanese players bring something else to the teams. So interesting to see what Paul Temple kind of how he shapes up for these next two really tough games.
Speaker 2: Totally agree on Valour too, by the way, I think that's an absolute upgrade on last season, not necessarily on Brianna Redwards, but certainly for me on Riley Foster. I think Carolina Vlau has looked really, really good, made some good saves last night, good with her feet. Yeah, she's been a terrific acquisition. Just one final thing before we move on from the Phoenix women. We saw Alyssa Winhim bring up her fifty games last weekend and Zoe mcmeekon is now on forty nine games for Wellington Phoenix. So it's interesting though, because you know, when Mackenzie Bowry and Alyssa Winning brought up their fifty games, they were both captain for the day. But it's a bit different with mcmeekon because she doesn't necessarily always start, So I don't know what Paul Temple is going to do on Sunday night when I'm sure Zoe will be in the squad, But will she start and captain the team because it's her fiftieth I get the feeling if that's the if it's the right thing to do for her to start, then yes, But it might be she comes off the bench for the last ten minutes in a fiftieth game. It's still your fiftieth game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and shack of the arm man.
Speaker 4: Then I don't think Paul Temple will start her for the sake of starting, or I certainly wouldn't want to, you know, Or I would want the best team to be on the field, especially with the two games I've got coming up. And if that's not Zoe McMeekin, who knows. It could be She's had a few starts this season. But yeah, I feel like maybe it's a bring on, give her the armband for the rest of the game type six.
Speaker 2: So Wellington Phoenix sixth on nineteen points, next away at fourth place Brisbane Sunday night, then back home to Melbourne victory on the eighth of February. That's the next home game at Pottydoor Park.
Speaker 1: The fee with finy and.
Speaker 2: Body, and so to the Wellington Phoenix men who for the first time in nine years played the game in christ Church. It seems so strange when I saw that stat that it was nine years. But then, of course you remember that the Wellington Phoenix took a lot of games away from Wellington but to Auckland over the last nine years, and there's no point taking an away game to Aalkland. Now that's well and truly off the table. So back to christ Church nil mill against the Central Coast Mariners. That's three games unbeaten now and just one goal conceded in those three games, so they're starting to track back in the right direction. The big talking point I thinking of this game was the two penalty shouts, one in each half that Wellington Phoenix had examined by the VR on both occasions and basically rejected by the VR on both occasions.
Speaker 1: What did you think of these two?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have just been watching them back again this morning, and I'm kind of feeling different to other people, And the fact that I think that first one in the first half, just after that I think it was a thirty second minute. I think that was more so of a penalty shout because the way we were looking on on goal the second half one also could have equally been a penalty. But yeah, the angles weren't right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, okay, let's go through them one by But the first one is Brian Keltak and Kazuki Nagasawa. The ball sort of bounces rather awkwardly and Keltech has to turn around and see where Nagasawa is. He's gone towards I guess it's tracking across goal and falls across an outstretched leg of Brian Keltak, and so clearly the VAI has decided that it wasn't a leg that was put out to foul. It was just there and Nagasawa fell over it. There's been a suggestion of Nagasawa had gone down because he tried to keep his feet to get the shot away. There's been a suggestion that if he'd gone down it might have been a penalty. I don't know if that's true or not. The second one it's Diesel Herrington who goes through the back of Nagasawa again, and it's really hard to tell from the angles we've seen whether Herrington gets the ball. Even if he does that doesn't necessarily rule that the penalty. Because he does, it seems to me take Nagasawa's legs out from under him. I thought that one was a penalty.
Speaker 4: The second one, yeah, yeah, it's it is really really tricky because you can see how they haven't been able to call it because of the angles. But I think, yeah, both of them are enough enough of a foul to call a penalty. I you know, if I had the whistle in my hand, I would have called it. So I'm yeah, I'd feel a bit ripped off were the fans down in chrish Church.
Speaker 2: Another way of looking at it is this, if tim and Danascus gives a penalty for one or both, is that decision overturned by VR And I think the answer is no. I think if he gives a penalty for one or both of those, var doesn't overturn. It's not a howler. It's not an absolute error. It's one of those where you need little bit of you know, objectivity perhaps to have a look at it and say, okay, has he made an absolute howler there? And if it given either of those penalties, I think the answers no. So so they I think they fallen between that absolutely a penalty. Absolutely not a penalty. It's in that wonderful gray area that fans love to debate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: I actually think I saw over the weekend Ian Wright, the legend from Arsenal, calling out the referees in charge over in the Premier League, saying that you know, things aren't being called and then they need top people for the job. You do kind of feel for the referees in this this instance, but I think you know that these the Phoenix weren't reaching, you know, they weren't exaggerating their falls. They were genuinely locking on goal and probably both had goal scoring opportunities. So that's why I see both as penalties.
Speaker 2: All right, not given though, and anila all score line, very even game. Phoenix had fifty three percent possession to the marin Is forty seven, ten shots to nine, pretty close. Rarely other than the penalty shouts, just trying to remember the best opportunities for either side. Nathan Walker, who I thought had a really good game, actually had a shot in the first half that went into the keeper's chest. There was a shot on the turn by a Shiga that was palmed away in the second for the Mariners. I don't really recall LB kelly Healed being troubled at all, so yeah, they didn't really set the world on fire in an attacking sense, so maybe nil nil was a fair result. The Phoenix another clean sheet. They've got the third best defense in the competition or joint third best. Only seventeen goals conceded. But it's still a bit of an issue at the other end, isn't it In scoring goals. They got a couple against MacArthur on Monday night, but in the last five games, three of those they haven't scored and so they just got to find a way, don't they of being a bit more creative and taking chances at the attacking end.
Speaker 4: Hearing that stat about their back line and the third lease or the third most clean sheets, it's pretty impressive, and I feel a bit bad given kind of how harshly I've critiqued to this, this young and inexperienced back line, But that is a good stat. Up the other end, You're right, Piney, not not clinical enough, they're applying, they're relying too much on the counter attack, and right now there's no link between cost of barbarosters who we know can finish between him, and in the midfield they desperately need Alex Ruffer back obviously gutted Marco Rojas is now ruled out for the season, and they need someone like Tim Payne who can probably bomb on up the side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hopefully Alex Royer and Tim Payne are closer to returning.
Speaker 1: Still in a real clarity on that.
Speaker 2: The transfer window, as we know, is open, and Gianclo Ataliano said after the game that he thinks that by the time the next game rolls around they may have a new signing, so we keep an eye out for that. The next game is on White Tonguey Days, the sixth of February, so it's a nice little break actually for Wellington Phoenix to hopefully get some of those players fit again, to freshen up a little bit. They're ninth on eighteen points, but only four points off the top six, so again, I feel like they just have to kind of stay hanging in there, and that's what they've been doing. In the last three games. They've stopped the right of those five losses in six games. They've picked up points in their last three, a couple of nilol drawers and that two to one went away at MacArthur, so I feel like they've just got to hang in and hang in now. I want to ask you about the choice of strip. Why did the Phoenix I know, actually know why, But why would the Phoenix choose this game to wear a dark strip? They have to wear the dark strip a certain number of times because of sponsorship obligations. The dark strip has a different sponsor than the gold strip. But why would you choose this game and allow the visit team to wear yellow on your home patch.
Speaker 4: That is an interesting call and I didn't realize that. I wonder if this is really rogue.
Speaker 2: No, don't don't try, and don't try and come up with answer because there wasn't one.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's your rogue take?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm like, maybe because there weren't many, like, because that's not they're not playing in Wellington that like, the fans might not all have Phoenix shirts.
Speaker 2: But that's and they all did, though Bonnie, didn't they They all the whole crowds and yellow pretty much. I've heard more than one instance of people turning up to their first game and thinking the Phoenix were the team in yellow.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Actually, that's that's a lie from me because my dad was down there and he was very, very excited for the game. He lives in christ Church and he went to Rebel Sport that morning to go and buy a Phoenix shirt. All sold out. He had to get just a random kind of Phoenix branded T shirt. Yeah, so I don't know what they've picked that game. Maybe they just weren't really playing at home. I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: No, and I've seen it.
Speaker 2: I've seen a similar thing, Like, you know, because they're playing away from Wellington, they are New Zealand's team and they're wearing dark.
Speaker 1: You know, they were in black.
Speaker 2: But no explanation that I've heard has been satisfactory to me.
Speaker 1: I'm afraid.
Speaker 4: But that doesn't matter, Like, do you think that that's why they got to draw? It doesn't really bother me, No.
Speaker 1: It doesn't.
Speaker 2: I don't think it affects the result. No, But as a but from a club point of view, when you're going to a home away from home where all of these fans are going to turn up in yellow to cheer you on. Look, if you get to wear the dark strip, wear it against the team whose home strip isn't yellow like Adelaide.
Speaker 1: So when they tune up, they're wearing red.
Speaker 2: But to have another team come to your home and wear your home colors, what are you doing.
Speaker 4: Especially against a team that were like Cinny Rivals last season at the top of the table. Yeah, as you say, the yellow team. Yeah, okay, I don't like it. I change my mind. I don't like it.
Speaker 1: Well, the other one I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't mean to sort of bully you into change with my raised voice. Look, you know, I get the commercial realities. But the other thing is, if it's a commercial reality that you've got different sponsors, just just print a dark and a yellow with both sponsors on the front. So you know, you say the sponsors get equal equal exposure. In fact, you wouldn't even Oh, you wouldn't need a dark strip because when you play away against the Mariners. But for example, we're a yellow strip with the with the sponsor on the front that is normally on the dark strip. Anyway, we're getting into a bit of a rabbit hole here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's just very passionate and I love it.
Speaker 2: Well, I am because I saw it first thing in the morning. We get sent through the strips for part of the sky broadcast. They send us through the strips and I looked at it and I thought, you have to be joking. You have to be kidding me. And like I say, there were there were people who went to their first football game to watch the Phoenix thinking the team they were watching out in front of them and yellow was the Phoenix.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And as I explained, when the Phoenix play Auckland FC, I always have to trick my brain to be neutral because I'm so used to supporting the yellow team.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I feel for the fans.
Speaker 2: I think we've taken up too much time talking about this, but mainly because I've chosen that. So it's my fault. Ninth on eighteen points, as I say, four points off the top six. Next played Brisbane at home on White Tungi Day. Just to mention for Matt Sheridan as well, who returned to the team in his hometown or the town he played a lot of his football at junior level growing up, and I thought he had a good game and good to see Luke Super come on near the end as well, another Cantabrian in the action there. All right, Well that's us for football fever for today. I think unless you can think of anything else that you want to debate or bring up now.
Speaker 4: I'm just ready to bring on the second half of the season and I hope you know we see all three teams qualify for these playoffs.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, so we're halfway there now pretty much just a final recap on the next matches to look out for. Auckland FC at home against MacArthur Saturday afternoon, Go Media Brisbane. Raw is the destination for the Wellington Phoenix Women Sunday night rather Sunday night eight o'clock. And the next time the Linctin Phoenix Men are reaction is White Tonguey Day, Thursday, the sixth of February. It is a home game at Sky Stadium. Well check you check in with you around about the same time next week for the next episode of Football Fever.
Speaker 1: This is Football Fever.