Speaker 1: Kiota.
Speaker 2: I'm Chelsea Daniels and this is the Front Page, a daily podcast presented by the New Zealand Herald. Inflation has risen even further. The latest stats and Z figures show inflation reached three percent in the year to September. Economists had it tipped to hit the top end of the Reserve Bank's target band of between one and three percent, but some say the period of circa three percent.
Speaker 3: Could be short lived.
Speaker 2: At the same time, labor has broken its silence on what it thinks will help the economy today on the front page, ends ed Herald Business Editor at Large Liam dan Is with us to break down what all of this means for you and your wallet. So, Liam, the consumers price index increased three percent in the twelve months to September. What has contributed to this increase?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so well, a few really basic things actually that will make have made it feel like it's a lot worse than three percent. So power prices is the real headline. Eleven point three percent I think for the annual rate. That was the highest annual increase we've had in New Zealand since nineteen eighty nine, so thirty six years. So that people really felt that. I mean, bear in mind that we've been through this. This is stuff that we've already had the headlines of people complaining about the power prices and we're just now counting the costs. But we had rates up eight point eight percent across the board roughly, and they tend to get counted once a year in the September quarter, so that's when we see them contribute.
Speaker 1: They're actually were up.
Speaker 3: Twelve something twelve percent the year earlier, but that's still a lot. It's still a high increase. And food prices, I think we're up four point six percent for the year, so that's still ahead of the three percent. People obviously have been feeling that with dairy prices, butter beef, some of those things that are getting good export dollars for New Zealand but are making it painful for shoppers and for consumers in the short term. So when you look at those three things, they're sort of unavoidable basics for a lot of people, especially the power and the food, and so yeah, that is a problem, but also it's sort of seen by the Reserve Bank is sort of a shorter term thing. So I think that three percent number has landed where it was largely expected to be and shouldn't cause too much problem for the Reserve Bank for those looking to hopefully see another interest rate cut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I saw economists were kind of across the board saying it was going to reach that top end of the higher bracket that the Reserve wants to kind of keep it into. Are you surprised that it's not over three percent, to be honest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it could have been. I mean.
Speaker 3: The other thing is, you know, those power prices. We had a high wholesale price, there was weather conditions, but we also had a thing that comes through. They do a sort of a regulated price increase based on power distribution costs and that comes through every five years. So that's another one often there. So there's a reasonable you know, there's a bit of an increase in tradable inflation, what they call tradable inflation, which is those things that we don't have much control over in the economy, food and power and stuff, but non tradable which is in the core of the economy, services, wages, what we're paying each other, that is coming down. I mean, that's always a little bit higher anyway, but it is coming down quite sharply because the economy has been in such bad shape. So I think economists could see that the things that push prices down, recessionary forces that push prices down are sort of happening. So I would say they're fairly confident that this will be the peak of this cycle of inflation.
Speaker 2: In terms of how much aren't inflation is imported versus domestically generated. What we would you say.
Speaker 3: To that, Well, that that is that split non tradable and tradeable. So non tradable inflation tends to run a bit higher, but that is coming off tradeable inflation, the important inflation. We've had a pretty good year last year on that, and that's come back with the food prices and things, and so I think, but that some of that tradeable inflation. I know we've got to be careful because we tried to look through it after COVID and it all exploded with inflation keeping on going and going. But generally the Reserve Bank does look through that a bit more because those are those international prices that are volatile. Petrols and obvious one, but food, cobodity prices and some of those other imports and things. They go up and down a lot, and it would include power prices, and that is some means that the Reserve Bank can ignore those to some extent and it focuses on something called core inflation, which is a measure of inflation where the extremes cut off and looking at what it's how it's tracking over the long term or medium to long term, and they'll be more comfortable with.
Speaker 2: That, right, so the Reserve Bank doesn't seem too spooked over there. Should we see another OCR cut next month?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we should.
Speaker 3: I think we probably will, whether that's it, and you know, if the economy, you know, continues to sort of struggle to get going and the recovery hasn't hasn't taken off, we might Some economists see some risk of another cut maybe in February, or that the Reserve Bank might do fifty basis points in November, but.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think there are some signs that it's things are starting to turn. A lot of the bad news is in the rear vision mirror. It's just the way we collect data, so we're seeing it at the tail end. You know, unemployment will rise probably in the next lot of stats, and it will be ugly as well, so you know it's a line call. But the Reserve Bank's primary job now single mandate, is to look at inflation. So I think probably one more cut and done, and they should probably signal to New Zealanders that they feel they're done, because that will encourage New Zealanders to lock in their interest rates and actually take some of the savings and we can all move forward a bit.
Speaker 4: Well, inflation is at three percent, it's within the band of the Reserve Bank. Under labor it was at seven point three percent, So we have broad inflation down and just under eighty months or eighty months two years, and that's making a big difference if you care about working people and who are doing it really tough. You actually met an economy well, and you make sure you get spending under controls, so you get inflation under controls, so you get interest rates down. That's exactly the path that we've been putting in place. So yeah, they wreck the economy.
Speaker 1: Let's be clear.
Speaker 4: They just spent more, tax more, borrowed more, and they'll continue to do more of that going forward. But that is what caused the pain and suffering that New Zealanders are experiencing up and down this country.
Speaker 2: When everyday New Zealand is here that inflation is at the top of the target range, what does that actually mean for them day to day.
Speaker 3: Well, it's all about those basics, the food and power, rents, I mean, rents was actually quite promising. Rents had dropped to two point six percent annual increase and if you look at it what's happening month or month, it's really almost flat to zero. There are parts of the country where rents will be coming down, so that's moving with the property market and with mortgage rates coming down and house prices being subdued. But yeah, I think the trouble is for New Zealanders who spend most of their income to live, they feel inflation a lot more acutely.
Speaker 1: So if you're if you've.
Speaker 3: Got a lot of money and you've got a lot of discretion around you know, most of your spending and your core living expenses are only thirty forty fifty percent of your total income, then it doesn't matter if it goes up three percent or five percent. You've still got all this discretion at the top end. But if you're spending all your money on living, and particularly if those basics have gone up by more than three percent, you know, you feel it completely. You feel all the inflation, and so it hurts poorer people harder. And look, I think New Zealanders more or less didn't really get over the inflation shop post COVID. We moved pretty quickly into a period of higher dairy prices and meat prices and things. And so you know, when you hear New Zealander is talking about it, a lot of people still feel like we've just had this one long cost of living crisis.
Speaker 2: Do you think the Reserve Bank's current approach strikes the right balance between controlling inflation but then also supporting growth.
Speaker 1: I think so.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's an argument that they've been a bit slow to get interest rates down. The difficulty is they do have a single mandate. They've got a single target. The government changed that they used to have a target that have a mandate that said you should weigh up unemployment and inflation and consider those things. I mean, all central banks will consider the big picture. But then if your number one job is inflation, you can't take the risk that it goes above three percent and becomes embedded and gets hard.
Speaker 1: You know, it's hard to.
Speaker 3: Get down and I think central banks around the world are a little bit feeling a little bit shell shopped after the inflation that we had post COVID when it got up to seven nine percent and all that stuff, and it got away on us, and they do not want to have to go through that kind of cycle again where we're having to sort of do things to get on top of inflation. So they just had to be a bit cautious, unfortunately, and they couldn't just sort of slash and burn. But it's looking I think, despite this number, in some ways, it's looking a bit safer for them.
Speaker 2: You're always so optimistic, though you always try and stay optimistic. I mean, realistically, is twenty twenty six going to be better or are we still riding the wave up into the end of twenty twenty six twenty and then entering twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 3: Well it gets a bit painful, actually, because I try to be optimistic, but it's just taking so long.
Speaker 1: Even this ra all's going to preak.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know you'll see my columns will swing between pessimism and optimism. But I think it is the conditions are all in place. Interest rates are low enough now to start stimulating the economy. There is all that export money coming in from the dairy industry, the meat industry, Kiwi fruit, even tourism is starting to pick up a bit. It's sort of almost back at pre COVID levels, which was a you know, a pretty good earner for the country. So those things really ought to shift the economy. There's a big deficit in confidence, you know, people are businesses are ware of investing, people are shell shocked.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, the lagging statistics are things like the jobs, labor market liquidations. You know, you're going to still see negative headlines, You're going to see more liquidations of businesses.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, you're going.
Speaker 3: To see more layoffs and rising unemployment, and that will sort of keep a dampner on things probably into twenty twenty six, just because we won't get statistics you know, through for the well if unemployment peaks early next year, we won't see those statistics till the middle of next year. And I think that's really what's you know, the cost of living is one stress, and then the other one is people not being secure in their jobs, and so people need to be secure in their jobs to start spending because the money coming back through lower mortgage rates, is going into savings and paying down mortgage while people are worry that their earnings might not be around where they want them. So it's a slow thing to get the momentum rolling and get the confidence back.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I think it will happen.
Speaker 5: As a parent with two young kids, I worry a lot about what kind of future they are going to inherit from us. Unemployment's going up, inflation is going back up again. More and more New Zealanders are simply giving up and leaving the country while our economy shrinks, businesses close, and opportunities seem to be disappearing. We need to turn that around. We need to create a future that young New Zealanders will want to be part of. A reason for our young New Zealanders to come home after their OI, a reason for them to stay in New Zealand because they know they can get good, well paid jobs that will create the sort of opportunities that they deserve.
Speaker 2: All right, So the Labor Party has announced to this New Zealand Future Fund, which it is calling its plan to back New Zealand's potential and create secure, well paid jobs across the country. It'll do that by investing in New Zealand infrastructure and businesses, lift productivity and reinvest by seeding capital from a number of Crown assets, independent governance of that and protecting core assets from privatization.
Speaker 3: Not a small task, No, yeah, I mean it's a it's a big concept. It's a concept that's not new in a way. I mean, it's like, it's interesting. This is their first bit of economic policy that they put out and it's how I described This is going to be administered by the New Zealand Superfund, which has got you know, billions of billions of dollars and invests wisely and sensibly around the world and in New Zealand, but doesn't want to go crazy in New Zealand because it has to have a balanced portfolio and keep making money. But I think that Labour's pitching this these are my words, is a kind of a side hustle for the Superfund, so that the Superfund would have a sort of like a if you think of a big money manager, a big fund having a boutique fund off to the side that is very specifically for New Zealand businesses that's smart innovation, probably tech, but it doesn't specify that exactly. It could be for infrastructure and so much more of a New Zealand and kind of focus, and you sort of spin that off to the side. You have it managed by the superfund. You know, they look at countries like Singapore do it and they've been very successful and have you know, billions of dollars worth of assets. So it's possible that what you could you the goal is that you actually make money because you're investing in these companies and taking a stake as well as providing capital and support for them to get going and boost the New Zealand economy. The critics will say, and there'll be a hard criticism from say the act Party and because they see that as government's picking winners and they look at the failures over time of governments doing that and sometimes governments get it wrong. Why is the government trying to pick one company over another and decide which one. Well, mon't be the politicians, it'll be a board of investors as part of a state fund. But yeah, that's sort of ideologically opposed to that. It would sit quite well with the way New Zealand first looks at the world in terms of a state controlled investment is sort of a mixed model. It's capitalism, but it's you know, with a state involvement in capitalism.
Speaker 1: Well, I was going to.
Speaker 2: Say, the vibe really does give New Zealand first, not the party, but putting New Zealand first, right, Winston would quite like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think that'll work.
Speaker 3: I mean, in fact, even National could probably cope with this kind of policy if it didn't have to have act as a side partner. Because you hear Christopher Luxen talk about countries like Singapore and Ireland. You know, all these countries that have accelerated their growth with investment and innovation, and Singapore is a classic example of one where they really they save money and they put money back into their own economy and their own tech companies and startups. And you know, dare I say, it's kind of a you know, it's not the communist Chinese, but it's a very modern China does it very intensely as well. Modern modern Chinese economy is very focused on picking winners special zones where they build industry up and they put government money into it. And it's it's a kind of a sort of mixed model capitalism with the state involved. I mean, yeah, this isn't a sort of a revolutionize the whole economy. It's a very specific fund. I guess you know, it's it's something that could work, and you leverage off the superfund which has got this infrastructure for investment. So you keep it very market focused and keep the disciplines there to make sure that you're you're not just throwing money at things, you're actually investing things in things that will deliver a return. It's it's a high risk, higher risk area of investment once you get in the closer you get to seed funding. You know, it's like venture capital, and you're you're you're investing in companies at a very early stage, so there's a higher rate of failure. But when one takes off and really does well, like literally takes off like a rocket lab or going to say, it can go on to be worth billions. So so you know that the private investors that do that tend to have a large portfolio. You need to sort of maybe invest fifty things and if one or two of them take off, you'll actually make your money back because you've structured things in a very clever way. And that's what this would need to do. It would need to be very focused on sort of market disciplines and have a really good investment.
Speaker 1: Team.
Speaker 3: And it's a good idea. I mean, I think that's something that.
Speaker 2: Well, it's something that we've looked to Australia. Australia uses the super Fun in much more diverse ways than we do, right, And it's something that economists have been in toying with for years.
Speaker 3: I mean, Labors mentioned the Ossie version and how they do it, and they've talked also about pushing the New Zealand super Fun to do a bit more infrastructure and some of those things. And it does do a decent chunk, but its primary job is to earn money for our retirement savings, so it has to say a bit more balanced and this is probably a way to sort of silo out.
Speaker 1: This more sort of New Zealand focused.
Speaker 3: Innovative end steps. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, So I mean promising. I mean I could, as I say, it's something that could be a bipartisan thing. Act would hate it, so I can't imagine national getting on board with it. But I could imagine somewhere down the line if a Labor government introduced this, it wouldn't be removed.
Speaker 1: Put it that way.
Speaker 2: Well, Hopkins has said that Luxe and I quote has no plan for our economy and that he is relying on house prices, the Reserve Bank and foreign investors to turn everything around. What do you make of that statement.
Speaker 1: Well, that's sort of a plan.
Speaker 3: The foreign you know, the foreign investment thing is part of the plan that they are trying to so I think, you know, to be fair to luxel and that there is he would argue that there's very much a plan. They want to get the New Zealand economy into good shape by dealing with some of the first issues, making it a safe, stable place to invest and then get out and a tract foreign investment. So they believe that foreign investment can really do a lot of the job that I guess they was talking about with this, and there is a way to do it.
Speaker 1: That's the way Ireland's done it.
Speaker 3: So you probably could just about go, well, there's a Singapore model and there's an Irish model. This government hasn't got the money to quite do a full Irish model because it involves cutting taxes for foreign investors, but it's definitely trying to make it New Zealand more attractive for foreign investment. They you know, I think it's a bit unfair to say they're just relying on house prices because you listen to Chris Bishop, he's sticking to his guns that the flat to falling house prices are a good thing. So look, the reality is house prices come back. It probably helps the economy and helps the government. But I don't think they're pushing that too hard. I mean, they've been prepared to wear a fairly big downturn, so you know, look, is there enough of a plan? Well, that's highly debatable, but I think some of that was rhetoric from Chris Hipkins.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us, Liam Jeers. That's it for this episode of The Front Page. You can read more about today's stories and extensive news coverage at enzidherld dot co dot nz. The Front Page is produced by Jane Ye and Richard Martin, who is also our editor. I'm Chelsea Daniels. Subscribe to the Front Page on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts, and tune in tomorrow for another look behind the headlines.