Speaker 1: Kielda. I'm Chelsea Daniels and this is the Front Page, a daily podcast presented by the New Zealand Herald. The biggest sporting event of the year kicks off this month. The twenty twenty four Paris Olympics are only a few weeks away, and nearly two hundred Kiwi athletes will be heading to the City of Love for their shot at Olympic glory. We'll talk about those athletes later with Newstalk zedb's Jason Pine, but first on the Front Page, we're joined from Paris by New York Times International correspondent Katherine Porter to discuss how the city is preparing for the event in the midst of an election, security concerns, and a costly river cleanup. Catherine, can you tell me what the vibe is like in Paris at the moment, excited about the Olympics coming.
Speaker 2: I think there's some excitement.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: You can really see the changes that have happened in the city, particularly over the last couple months. The city is hosting Olympics right around the city and many of the main squares, like the Placis of the Concord or under the Eiffel Tower, have these temporary stands that have gone up for spectators for each venue that's being made, and so you could literally see the venues being built before our eyes. That are the temporary venues. Flags have gone up now in the last couple of weeks around the town. The rings just were affixed to the Eiffel Tower. But you know, the president is called a snap election and that has kind of distracted everyone that they're talking more about politics at this moment than they are about the Olympics.
Speaker 1: Do you think that snap election in France is likely to impact on the event itself?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think it will in terms of the actual running of the event. No, because everything has been in place for years now. They've been planning this for years. You know, all of the permanent stadiums are done of, the plan is set. So I don't think for the actual smooth running of the Olympics it will change, but it might change in terms of the atmosphere. You know, there's lots of talk about what Jordan Berdella, who's from the far right party here if he is in fact named prime minister, and he's very I mean his main platform is anti immigration. He's very suspicious and is very much anti Islam in France, and so what that will look like to host an international event that is all about peace building and bringing people together when you have a new government that is run by a far right prime minister. That that's a question that many people are asking.
Speaker 1: I know what Olympics passed, and you mentioned this before. The host cities have been just transformed by the events. But there's a strong focus now, I feel on keeping costs slow. Does a film like much as changed?
Speaker 2: No? I mean part of the winning bid for the Paris Olympics was that it would be a sober financially, a sober Olympics. They wouldn't spend a lot and that by that mostly was that they would use equipment already there and wouldn't build these giant white elephants, these huge new facilities that would lay empty a lot of the time and suck up a lot of money. And they have been successful in that they've only built two major permanent buildings. One is an aquatic center and the other is being used by the Toronto basketball team now. One is squarely in the suburbs, the northern suburbs of Paris that are known for much higher rates of poverty, high rates of immigration. You know, almost all of the riots that have started around policing of minorities have started in that area, and that's where the money's gone. Now. There was this idea that the Olympics would help bring more justice, equitable justice, and more access to swimming pools, more access to the subways even and a new subway station just opened this week. The other thing that the city and the country spent some money on was cleaning the sin and the idea was that it would be for the Olympics. There will be two events, both a long ten kilometers swim and part of the triathlon in the Sen River, which runs right through the heart of the city. But the idea was it would be clean enough that the following summer there would be swimming areas for Parisians to enjoy, and that idea of a legacy of the games. And I think people you know are still wondering whether it will happen, but generally have bought into that that these games, you know, will benefit the country. And there is not the kind of griping you here in Paris about overspending that we heard in many previous Olympics.
Speaker 1: Well, the Sin has been a point of contention in the preparations, isn't it I heard? Was it over a billion euros spent so far to clean it up?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Over a billion, A really complicated plan. Paris has an old sewage system. It's a combined sewage system, which means that the water from homes and buildings combines with rain runoff, and when there's a really big storm, there's threats that the sewage system would flood. And one of the things they've done was create storage tanks where you could hold that runoff water from storms until the storm cleared and then slowly introduced it into the sewage system so it could be treated. That's a pretty expensive and big thing to do. It's a large infrastructure project and they have so far, you know, completed it. The question people have is will the weather cooperate?
Speaker 4: The water we are said to be used for open water swimming events during the Games, but officials announced that recent testing showed levels of E. Cold and other bacteria in the Seine. Officials remain confident the river will be up to standards ahead of the Games, but that confidence may be waning just a bit. President Emmanuel McCrone in Paris mayor and Andalgo have promised to jump into the water before athletes dive in, but they have postponed those plans until mid July.
Speaker 1: Security is obviously a big concern ahead of the Games. The city's police chief has spoken of concerns about everyone from Islamic terrorism to radical environmentalists. What safety measures are being taken in Paris.
Speaker 2: Well, the big focus for now and for the last number of months is the opening ceremony. And the reason that's a focus is Paris decided to host the first opening ceremonies for Olympics that's not held within the confines of a stadium. It is going to be held in the open on the seen and will float athletes down boats and a raid of seven kilometers down the Seine through the middle literally the heart of the city, passed things like you know, the Notre Dame and the Louver and all these famous ancient buildings that people know all that around the world. And to secure seven kilometers of the scent on each side, so you're talking about securing fourteen kilometers when you're going to have hundreds of thousands of spectators. That has been the big question and the big concern for many because you know, Paris is a city that also has known terrorist attacks and big ones dating back to twenty fifteen, and much smaller ones that are more one offs and low wolves. Since I followed the plans to secure that opening ceremony and they're really, really robust. In fact, they likely would be a police officer every square meter, so more police that you'll ever see there than anywhere else in the city. They will be special ups up on the top of every building. There will be drone police. They're going to clear the river a week beforehand. Within the Olympic perimeter. I live just a few blocks from the SEIN and right across from a square that will be where athletes will come and show their metals. It's kind of like a fan zone, they're calling. And so this whole area on both sides of the SEIN will be in a red zone. And if you want to come in the day and leading up to the Olympics, you will need a QR code that shows that you have been checked, and you've had to fill out quite a number of forms, which we've just done to prove that we live here and be able to pass through. It's a huge security plan that has been talked about a lot, and I think once that's through and if it's fine and it goes well, people will heave a sigh of success. We've already seen an increase of army members on a patrol with their giant machine guns walking through the square. That's been the case for a number of months. Paris has been back and high alert of terrorism since the attacks in Russia. So I think for many Parisians too, since twenty fifteen, they've grown quite used to the threat of terror and used to the site of police officers or army members with guns around them, and it will feel a bit more like a police state, I believe, in the days before the games, and we'll see what happens that day of the opening ceremony. Most analysts experts think it will be absolutely fine because of the number of officers and specialty forces that will be there and army. But then afterwards, the Olympics is set throughout the city. If you want to go and see beach volleyballs under basically in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower. If you're going to be into breakdancing, that's in the square where you know, right by the Tuiliri Gardens where Marie Antoinette and Louis the sixteenth had their head chopped off during the revolution. But right in the middle of the city. These things will be right throughout the city. We'll see, I mean. It will also be very interesting because if the government changes, we'll have a new Minister of Interior. The Minister of Interior has been the one who's been talking about the Games, talking about the security plan, the face of it. If we have a new security head of security, you know, we'll see how that changes things. But this plan has been in place for more than a year.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us, Catherine will A few kiw tryathletes will be at risk from a dirty river. New Zealand will be well represented across all fields, from athletics to cannoeing, artistic swimming to sport climbing. To discuss the athletes you'll need to keep an eye on, we're joined now by a news talk zedb's Jason Pine. Jason, who are the local Olympians you're keeping an eye on this year?
Speaker 5: Well, I guess you look back at the last Olympic Games and you think, okay, Well, the medalists at the last Olympics have to be in with a chance at the current Olympics. So you look at the likes of our sevens teams. For example, the women won gold in Tokyo and have been a dominant force in sevens over the last several years really, so they have to be a really good chance for gold in Paris. The men similarly won silver four years ago or three as it turned out, and will be gunning for one better in Paris. Then you look at our greatest ever Olympian in terms of medals, collector, Dame Lisa Carrington already has six, including three golds in Tokyo. She'll be there again, but up against another key who's beaten her a couple of times recently in the K one five hundred. That's Amy Fisher. So we could be looking at a gold silver Quinella here in the K one five hundred, in the canoeing. And then you look across the sports where I guess we've been dominant historically, and they tend to be ones that involve a bit of water. We are surrounded by it, of course, so the rowers I mentioned, our canoers, the sailors will obviously have something to say. Then into the pool as well, Lewis Clairbird and Erica Fairwa. They lead our charge in the swimming pool, and I really like the look of triathlete Hayden Wilde. He won a bronze in Tokyo and has been named actually to compete in Paris. He's been at the top of his triathlon game for a while now. So there's a few to look out for others as well, and we always get surprises, that's the great thing about Olympic Games.
Speaker 1: Well, this year we've got sport climbing, surfing, skateboarding all back this year, and of course breakdancing will be making its deboot.
Speaker 6: A dance floor, a DJ to provide the music, and two dancers to bassor out in front of a panel of judges. Those are the basics of breaking in Paris. There'll be a men's tournament with sixteen bee boys and a women's with sixteen b girls. After each battle, a winner has chosen and the loser eliminated. It's like boxing or any other combat sports. We're first affairs. We have to ask a question and the other person answered, what are your.
Speaker 1: Thoughts on that sport getting included.
Speaker 5: I think those who who first put the Olympic movement together would have scratched their heads at what these things even are, let alone the fact that they're going to be included in an Olympic Games. Look, I think the International Olympic Committee knows that it has to retain its currency and its contemporary nature. And you can't just rely on the same old sports Olympics after Olympics to generate new fans, new audiences, new broadcast deals, new sponsors to the Olympic movement. You have to move with the times. And while you know some of these sports might not seem like traditional Olympic sports, they're certainly not you know, breakdancing as they say in sport, climbing, a couple of new sailing classes quite foiling. You know, there are a lot of new and interesting and contemporary sports these days at the Olympics. Look, I'm all for it. I must say. If there are more eyes on the Olympics, and if there are more pathways to representation of your country at Olympic Games, then I'm absolutely all for it. I think what tends to happen during Olympic Games as we become experts on sports that ordinarily we have no idea about. It only takes a couple of three hours of watching one of these sports and already you become an expert as to what the competitors should be doing. So you're looking forward to seeing some of the newer sports as well.
Speaker 1: That's me. When I watch a dressage at the Olympics, I become suddenly an expert in the sport. We've also seen some controversy emerge this year around it, particularly the selection process for some Olympic sports. I'm thinking at windsurfing and there's accusations that it's harming our prospects. Can you tell us a bit more about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So this specific example was kite foyler Lucas Walton Kem. Now he has been named to go to Paris, but only after he appealed his initial non selection to the Sports Tribunal. Let's take it back. Yachting New Zealand only nominate athletes they believe are capable of winning a medal. Now, the New Zealand Olympic Committee criteria has long been a top sixteen finish, but for Yachting New Zealand they say no, no, we are going to nominate athletes only who we believe are capable of winning a medal. But alongside that they have an emerging talent clause and this is for sailors who they believe are good prospects of winning medals at future Olympic Games. So they say, well, let's get them to this Olympics, give them some experience and hope that they win a medal for US at the next Olympics. And under this criteria, sailors need to show that they are a top sixteen prospect and Lucas Walton Kean was one of these. He was seeking selection under the emerging talent clause. He was twelfth in the European Championships last year. It was initially denied by Yachting New Zealand despite those results, but the tribunal upheld the appeal and they ordered yacht in New Zealand to revisit the selection process because they said, you've overlooked a couple of facts here, You've made a couple of errors in your determination and so it's been overturned. So Lucas Walton kem will now go to the Olympic Games. And that's great for him, fantastic news. But it's not the greatest build up, is it, you know, to we go to an Olympic Games. You have to really to the nth degree have your preparation all mapped out for you, and the fact that he didn't actually even know that he was absolutely going until a short time ago can't have helped him too much. So sometimes I think the criteria is a little bit inconsistent, not just across sports but also within sports, and I think that's what's happened here.
Speaker 1: Well, Hobbes not being selected for the twenty twenty Olympics. That just seems baffling in hindsight, doesn't it baffling?
Speaker 5: Indeed, Yeah, that's one word for it. The other sprinter who wasn't selected was Eddiosi n Katia, who had run a New Zealand record and had also gone under a predetermined qualifying mark, and he wasn't sent either. The difference with Eddie Oci and Katia is that he's now lost to sprinting all together. He's gone to the United States, where he's taken up a football scholarship that's American football gridiron as we often call it over here, so he's not involved in sprinting at all anymore. Thankfully, Zoey Hobbs wasn't put off by her non selection last time. She went to the Commonwealth Games of course in Birmingham and performed very very well there in reaching the final and now has made enough progress for her to earn selection for her first Olympic Games. So again it's the great balancing act. Do you send athletes because they have ticked every box and they are a genuine medal chance, or do you also just widen that criteria and say, look, on a given day, that athlete or that team or whoever it might be could do something pretty special. Because let's not forget not all of our great Olympic moments. You know, people ending up on the top of the podium, a lot of them are, but there are a lot of other great Olympic moments as well well.
Speaker 3: The top sixteen is basically shorthand for a set of criteria. That's that's behind it, because top sixteen really is a potential to make top eight. So that's what we're looking for. We're looking for people who will progress through competition to ensure that athletes are prepared and competitive and be able to represent New Zealand with pride on the world stage.
Speaker 1: Is the New Zealand Olympic Committee putting too much weight on getting gold or getting onto the podium when so many small countries around the world have never even won medals.
Speaker 5: I suppose it's a very good question. I quite like the top sixteen criteria. It means that you're not just sending somebody along because at the end of the day, a lot of this is our money. It's taxed by a money through high performance sport in New Zealand and through sport in New Zealand, so we are actually paying for this. So I don't think we want to see athletes going off and being there on a junket. I'm not saying that any of them would, but part of me thinks, if you can make someone an Olympian, a genuine Olympian, and it's not circumventing any process, and they've shown enough talent and enough commitment to the core, why wouldn't you make somebody an Olympian. It's a huge moment in anybody's life to represent their country at all, let alone at an Olympic Games. So if you can give someone that opportunity and reward them for what is often years and years and years of grind of blood, sweat and tears of commitment and sole focus on a particular discipline. Then I don't know why you wouldn't do that?
Speaker 1: And how many medals do you think New Zealand will walk away with? And what's your bed?
Speaker 5: At this stage, I knew this question was coming on. I knew it's always the one that gets asked. And then you start thinking, okay, what would a good number be? You know, Tokyo was a really really good Olympic Games, even though it was played out in COVID times. We had a really good Olympic Games. Six gold, six silver, and seven bronze medals. So what's that, you know, nineteen twenty medals. I think that would be a spectacular return in Paris, I think anywhere, and double figures would be good. I mentioned some of the possibilities before, and some of them you feel almost certain that the sevens teams, for example, will win a medal of some color. You think Dame Lisa Carrington is surely going to be there or thereabouts, and then you look across the others and you say, on any given day, a number of these athletes could find themselves on the podium. Tom Walsh in the shop, but he's already been an Olympic medallist Hamish Kerr in the high jump is one of the best going around the world at the moment. Our cyclists Elise Andrews got a silver in Tokyo. Aaron Gate got four gold medals at the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham, so he's got to be a chance. So yeah, if I had to make a prediction, I'd always try and be optimistic. I think twelve medals and if three or four of those could be gold, I think that'd be a really cool return.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us, Jason. That said, for this episode of The Front Page, you can read more about today's stories and extensive news coverage at enzat herold dot co dot z. The Front Page is produced by Ethan Sells with sound engineer Patty Fox. I'm Chelsea Daniels. Subscribe to The Front Page on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts, and tune in tomorrow for another look behind the headlines.