Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talk sat B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeart Radio. Take another.
Speaker 2: It's a very trick. It is out.
Speaker 3: The test is over.
Speaker 4: Goodness smokes a beauty.
Speaker 2: It is out and hear you guys.
Speaker 3: This delivery has.
Speaker 2: In users before.
Speaker 5: On the Front Foot with Brian Waddell and Jeremy Cody, powered by News Talks Heat B at iHeart Radio.
Speaker 4: Hello, We're on the front foot again and this week the new boys upstay the retiring veterans Jimmy Gibbon an emotional farewell at the home of cricket.
Speaker 3: Our White Guns remain windless with one to play in England.
Speaker 4: What have they achieved and who wins the title of the best West Indian Quick over the last fifty years? You know favorites like you'd have some favorites Jerry of the West Indian Quick that you have really loving memories and printed on your brain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got that black book wards. It's full of names and most of them's I would have to say. We Westerns. Yeah, there were a lot of them. They sort of they lived under the stand. They used to throw them bits of raw meat during the week and they'd come out on Saturdays, you know it, and the swathes of them. It was the first It was the first five or six onto the ground that were in the team.
Speaker 4: Yeah, have you got that scene mark still imprinted on your body when that but one had you in in Jamaica.
Speaker 2: I don't, I don't know. It went through the it went through the armed guard actually, so it might be on a mark on that, but I mean, I've got very strong skin words. But but yeah, it was. Yeah, it was. You got to You've got to really when you play for New Zealand. But yeah, that there were a few of them. Don't worry. I'm sure I'll think of one by the time we get there on the show.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, we're going to get Andrew Mason back. He doesn't want to talk about the first Test match, but I asked him about face starling and we'll get him back shortly. But what he did tell us last week was the West Indian batting was a little suspect. I think that was being quite generous, wasn't it that it was a little suspect they were They were just dreadful. Weren't they playing a Test metch against England?
Speaker 2: Yes, it was. It wasn't good viewing. I've had two thoughts about that because there, you know, they've also started to promote the whole thinking about should the West and He's be playing Test cricket? I mean that's really the underlying one thought I had. But the first thought is, you know, just let's be a bit careful about this. There have been thrashings in Test cricket before, haven't there. And you've only got to go back and see probably the best day's viewing of cricket maybe in the whole year, was created by the West Indies, wasn't it when they played against Australia at the absolutely when in Smith was commentating, and you know that was a fantastic effort to come back after a thrashing. They were thrashed in the first Test at Adelaide and then they came back and won by what it was single figures, wasn't it in that second Test at Brisbane? And in twenty seventeen I remember in England actually when England played the first Test and beat them just as comfortably as they did in this matter. England got about five hundred and plenty and Westernies one sixty and one thirty and then they went up to Leeds in two thousand and seventeen to play the second Test England. I think West Indies battered first, maybe did they? No West Indies bad at last? Yeah, exactly. Western He's got about, you know, four to twenty in the first innings with a lead, needed three hundred and twenty to win and passed at five down. It was old Brathwaite who's still there. He got a ninety in the second innings and one hundred in the first and Hope got one hundreds of each innings, so they won by five wickets. Hell of a good effort. So I know that this is a different side. I realized that there are so many of these guys who are really just entering their careers, so it may be a little bit different. But you know, let's just wait and see see what happens, because I mean, otherwise you start to get some of the you know, the mood that's been coming out of England. It seems to me is more we can't rate these players, we can't even judge them because they're so early in their careers, and therefore it's Test cricket is suddenly falling apart, and I'm not that keen to go down that line, to be really honest with you. I mean, they didn't prepare that very well for the tour, did they. It's hard nowadays with the schedule that there is, but I would have thought other countries can just help a bit, maybe give them a bit longer preparation to go over so especially a team like that West Indies side. It's very hard as a batsman to go to England, you know, for the first time and player moving ball. We could see over that T twenty. It's hard enough playing at home, isn't it for them? The way the ball was bouncing, you know, So you know, and maybe they could play instead of they had one game, a three day game. Maybe they could play a team, yeah exactly. Maybe they could play a couple of games. Maybe they could maybe could someone provide some assistance if it was requested, you know, a couple of coaches could come in and help their coaches, or coming and help some of their players. I don't know, but surely something could be done to try and assist teams that are struggling at the moment.
Speaker 4: Well, they need to get the opportunity to play cricket and prepare for it.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's the.
Speaker 4: Same story as far as I'm concerned about our White Fans team. You know, are they doing the right things in terms of preparing for playing in England. They're finding the same issues the inability to deal with playing England in England. And I think that that's probably what some of these new young West Indian players because there's a bit of talent there. We've seen them bad. Athenas is not a bad player, and they've got a few of them. But when you come up against England and England it's it's very difficult. I mean, is Atkinson and you've seen these guys Atkinson and Smith who were the stars the young fellows. Is Atkinson that good or is it just at the West and he's batting was woeful?
Speaker 2: Well, I think mainly the second wards Atkinson doesn't really tear other you know, first class teams apart. He bowls you know, sort of high eighties. So there is pace there and that and Key and McCullum has said, haven't they They want to have some pace on the onto the surface of the pitch and he showed a bit of that, got a bit of luck early had a good toss, didn't that was a good toss to win? Oh yeah, And and the game wasn't competitive. But I mean we've also got to remember at the same time, don't forget we've seen one side of games the other way around, haven't we. Right through the seventies and the eighties, the Westerndies cruised around the world cleaning everybody up. You know, they had top batsmen, They had a battery of clicks and it didn't matter what sort of pitch she prepared against them. So did we say then that cricket was over? You know, that Test cricket was finished, and we're going to cut half of them out. Suddenly half the team's out, you know, take it easy for a moment. I think what we did. And of course was complained about the number of bounts as they bowled and how hard it was to score.
Speaker 4: Yes, and their overrates which were about thirteen twelve an hour, And yeah, you know, they've got to be they've got to be given a bit of a chance, these players. The one issue, of course, is that the interest is not there in test cricket because of.
Speaker 3: The white ball game.
Speaker 4: And that was something that Andrew Mason spoke about last week, and they've got to be able.
Speaker 3: To play some of these games.
Speaker 4: They don't have the players going playing county cricket like the sides of the eighties and nineties, Greenwage, Haynes, etc.
Speaker 2: Etc.
Speaker 4: Richard, you know all those players were playing in the county game, so they had some experience. Jamie Smith, you spoke about him, We can see why they chose him. Not necessarily a better keeper than folks, but with the bat, he's going to be the kind of man they want, isn't he.
Speaker 2: Yeah? I thought he kept quite well. Lords is quite a tricky place to keep wicked. Actually, it's one of those grounds like like christ Church used to be as well. Wally would tell us about that. He used to just get him very just to look over at me at second slip and his eyes would just open up because the ball would actually not only just swerve nerves quite often you see it swinging after it pictures and passing the stumps, which it does at Lord's, but it also can go up and down, which is even worse. But I thought Smith for quite a tall man. He's over six feet. You know, he moved quite well. He seemed to take most of it, all right. He took a low catch and I thought, you know, he's looking okay with the gloves for the time that he's had to do it really and then of course he's a proper batsman and he batted a bit with the tail and so yeah, I thought he had a good match. In fact, as you say, the two guys you've mentioned had good matches, didn't they for them? The other person I would mention, just very briefly, is there Stokes playing as an all round her again makes a hell of a difference. He's been bowling a lot for Durham long spells. It seems that his knee opera is okay. He looks quite lean, he doesn't look to be over you know, sort of Muscley and that sort of thing as well. And it's a very different England side with Stokes as a full all rounder i think.
Speaker 4: And the ability to bowl just those extra overs. He looked as he was going to overdo it at one stage there, but they won the game quite comfortably by an innings. Anderson, well he's out. It's been replaced by thirty four year old Mark Wood. He's going to share the new ball with Atkinson. And thirty five year old Wokes. Now they wanted to fifty five thirty five?
Speaker 3: Did I say fifty five?
Speaker 2: Well that's really pushing it, isn't it.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I wonder when he's leaving.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, well I'll put that down as a thirty five and a fox pass. But they wanted they wanted a new group of younger players to bring in Wood. Seems a little bit strange. Will he be in Australia for the Ashes? Wokes might be there, but Wokes is really only an England bowler, isn't he. We talked about that last week too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't think Wokes will be in the Australian touring party. He is pretty much England centric unless you go to I mean he could come and play against New Zealand, couldn't he where you have similar conditions. But other than that, it doesn't seem to work for Chris Wokes good back too, lower down. He strengthens that as well. So they like him, but I don't think it's a long term things when you know, we need consider to go to Australia. I don't know. They played, you know, just steadily, didn't they. Anderson's been a terrific, terrific bowler as an exceptional bowler. And England do that pomp and ceremony, that cheerio very well. They love doing that all the crowd.
Speaker 3: Lord.
Speaker 2: You know his longevity and his fitness levels and skill sets in you know, whether it's swinging the ball or seeming the ball or wobbling the ball nowadays, or reversing the ball because he had to learn to do that and he only after what one hundred and eighty eights was going for two point seven runs and over, So that tells you how accurate he has been right throughout, how he's reinvented himself, you know, all that stuff. Consistency of pace, you know, when everything's put together, he's got to be up there, doesn't he And you know he'll settle into his career. Now. Do you like the way that he's going to be throwing a next Test as a coach or as a someone to lean on? Yeah? Mentalor yeah?
Speaker 4: Well it was it was an emotional moment. He's been around the cricket scene for a long time. We didn't get a chance to see much of Shobashir in the Test match.
Speaker 2: It was he wasn't born.
Speaker 3: When he wasn't born when Jimmy Anderson made his Test.
Speaker 2: Aboot, I didn't know. That's right. You go and field at fine leg go and field down at fine legs.
Speaker 3: Son, Yeah, breakfast, you're throwing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that was It was interesting.
Speaker 4: It's interesting because the the Anderson retirement is great for the statisticians and I don't mind a few statistics every now and again. That when you think he bowled forty thousand balls in Test cricket, forty thousand and yeah, dumbody did a calculation that it was the equivalent of bowling about four hundred and nine three kilometers judging by his run up. Didn't include any of the times he ran in and didn't deliver because the batsman wasn't ready there, and it was it was a basic map of the England Test match grounds, walking the distance between Lords and Durham Wedness. That's yeah, yeah, that's that's how they love their statistics. In terms of the the fact that he played with one hundred and nine other players during his Test career, do you remember some of them?
Speaker 3: I don't remember the likes of Simon Kerrigan.
Speaker 2: Simon Kerrigan. Was he a spinner? I don't know.
Speaker 4: Ashmah, Chazzad and just Bowler.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they all played Test matches along with Jimmy Anderson.
Speaker 4: There's one I do know, but I didn't realize he'd played a match because he played club cricket here in Wellington, Scott Forthwick who played a one Test match for England.
Speaker 3: They got threshed in Australia.
Speaker 4: It was an Ashes Test match and I cannot, for the life of me remember him playing it. I actually had to look it up to see why he played. So there's one hundred and nine of them played while Jimmy Anderson was available to play for England from his debut. Amazing really when you think about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is. No, he's certainly been an important figure right throughout well When did he start two thousand and three or something like that, wasn't it. Yeah, I saw a little interview was a NASA Hussain who went in and had a chat with him. In the changing room. It was almost absolute silence in the changing room. No one was showering, no one was throwing things around, no one was swearing, and it was it was. It was. It was quite eerie actually, because you don't often you don't often get a really quiet changing room unless you've been thrashed.
Speaker 3: That was respect, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: It was really yeah? It was so so yeah, so he's and it was it was interesting how that kind of and the performance of Atkinson sort of went, you know, twelve wickets went under the radar really in the out the back. So but that was that was okay. I don't mind that at all. He'll he's probably done quite a lot to get himself, you know, a few Test matches now if he can stay fit. But I do think, well, I do hope that the West Indies, you know, prepare a wee bit better. You can't test cricket was it's just not as easy as T twenty. So you've got to prepare properly. You've got to give it your attention. You've got to give the test match what it deserves, you know, and I know schedules tough and naturally, but if you don't look after those things, you know, you get those sorts of games where suddenly everyone says, oh, tests, tests are dying, and those sorts of things. But I don't think I don't think it is. I hope that they can just withhold on all that kind of discussion that they did have after that we're now going because they had a didn't They have a big meeting there for one day prior to the match where they all discussed and they got all the notables in the discuss what are we going to do with Test cricket And what they came up was in the end was that they were going to only have sixteens playing Test cricket in the next three years. And I really hope that that doesn't happen. The interesting thing, of course, if you took it now, England would not be in the top six. If you took them from the West that the Test Championship. They are bottom of the tape at the moment, so it would be very interesting there they are in England discussing the same we're only going to have six. Well, I don't think they'd like it if they suddenly had a look at where they were positioned themselves and in fact the West Indies would be in the top six.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So sadly, that of course is the business of the money people over the cricket people, isn't it. And the money people want to make those sorts of decisions.
Speaker 3: Cricket people have.
Speaker 4: A vastly different view of the game. And you know we've seen that there was a survey done that Test cricket is still the most important part of the player's mind, but that T twenty is perhaps overcoming one day cricket. I want to get Andrew Mason back because while Anderson was preparing for his final Test match, people in the Caribbean, the fans there were defending their pace bowlers of the past fifty years and the content that Anderson was a better ball on any of those who graced the West Indian Arena. Somebody gave a point of view with Brian Lara who called him the best fast bawler whoever played the game, the greatest fast baller of the game. I just wonder whether Brian Larrad had a few too many bounces bowled at him in the nets and some of them had perhaps connected with his helmet. I mean, it's hard to argue with the stats of Anderson's contribution to the game and stad on the resilience ability he had over the last last twenty one years. I've got Andrew Mason on the phone again. He rejoins us this week. Where does he stand on the issue of anyone who can surpass Anderson.
Speaker 6: Milchael Marshall, the great Malcolm Marshall. Yeah, it was easy, but we're not hesitation, you know. I would have seen Malcolm Marshall play local cricket in Barbados. In fact, he actually used to. He was a batsman, you know, and for a local team called Banks were worked and you know we're coming ball some medium pace and bat and he developed into a fantastic bowler for the West City's, very very heady, good control. In fact, so Clive Lloyd told me only recently that whenever they had a meeting, whenever Malcolm Marshall spoke, you can hear a pin drop because of his vast knowledge of the game. And the thing about Malcolm Marshall was that he was able to bowl on on on on any surface. He was quick as you know the one on bandick in England when he came out and and got and bowling the note. Basically, So when you look at Malcolm Marshall, very sharp, a good monkser and and you can almost see him thinking of batsman. So I would say that Malcolm Marshall would be the one that I would pick as my favorite. What I would say as well, is that I remember in nineteen ninety name but he was obviously on the decline. I was at Sabina Parker and a gentleman said, Marshall, the game will leave you. But what he really meant was that Marshall leave the game. But that's the baby speak in the Caribbean. And we then went to Border now Borders, you know as the batsman's paradise, and in nineteen ninety one Malcolm Marshall picked up five wickets Australia were defeated in an excellent spell of fast balling. I mean Border looked like perf. He boes so quickly because he was under pressure, and it really really showed me then that Malcolm Marshall, the great, great fast baller that he will always be, you know, really showed his true colors. There. There's also another guy, Malcolm Marsha number one. He doesn't get the credit that he deserves. In fact, some people questioned whether he's great. Courtney Andrew Watch and the reason why I say a Watch would have to feature. Watch started out as a support Border and as his career developed, ended up being a straight bowler.
Speaker 2: Watch was the.
Speaker 6: One that did the donkey work. I mean, on any pitch, watch will be there for you. I've seen Courtney watch balling for the best. Cindy's on some dead pitches across the world, particularly at border, and his energy and his commitment is really really worthy of commendation. But to answer your question, Malcolm Denzil Marshall is my pick.
Speaker 4: I won't get too much argument from anybody then, because I totally agree with whatever you say. The interesting thing about what you mentioned though, in terms of Walsh and Marshall, Walsh, Ambrose, Holding roberts Ganna all tore men more into the pitch than perhaps Malcolm Marshall, who you swing and pace. He didn't have quite the height that those ballers said, did he.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's interesting because he was a relatively small man, like like Shama Joseph. I mean he generated all the paces. Oh, it is true that he started. But when you look at the chants of Westin, Michael Holland was tall and slim, Sandel Robertson was tall, broad shoulder. Look at Joe Garner, the big bird, you know he wasn't as quick. He was Lethal holling Croft, big strong guy. Wayne Daniel who only paid a couple of Test matches. I mean, can you imagine when Daniel know he would perhaps pare one hundred test matches. So we had some very big, strong men bailling for the best season. The problem though, that we have brand is that we do not have fast ballers in the Caribbean that we had before, and that is the major worry. In fact, only recently cricket Wessons were trying to get some of the former greats to go wrong the Caribbean to try to find fast ballers because it is where we were successful. And in my view, ontil we get fast ballers again ninety miles an hour, we're going to struggle.
Speaker 4: Yes, and I'm sure a lot of people are quite happy about that, having to avoid the place bollers of ninety miles.
Speaker 3: An hour plus.
Speaker 4: I know many of the New Zealanders would be happy to find that there's not quite the pace there that you know. And we didn't even mention the likes of Sylvest Clark.
Speaker 6: Oh Davis, oh, very very sharp. These gays were extremely sharp, very very sharp.
Speaker 4: Now lovely to hear your viewpoint, I must say we do agree, and I will be interested to see whether I can get any challenges for that viewpoint. But Malcolm Marshall certainly one of the greats in the game and one of the great West Indian quick well a few names there, Jerry Malcolm Marshall was his choice. I got to say that was my choice as well. And we mentioned earlier your favorite bowler is there must be a lot of wester Indians and the group of the ones you really like the most.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, the first thing I would say for my memories now is that they were all slightly different ones. While they were all right right arm bowlers, there was a lot of difference between holding who took the ball away, and the pace between them wasn't excessive. I mean they were all sort of ninety two and I'm talking about miles an hour now ninety sort of to ninety three, ninety four, that kind of range holding with the new ball took it away. Andy Roberts was there in nineteen eighty when we played in New Zealand here in that acrimonious series, but he wasn't in eighty five when we played them, so he was coming kind of more to the end of his career. A very strong heavy ball bowling faster than you thought it was. The ball was on you, tended to move it just slightly away off the scene and then dangerous bouncers Croft of course, member people remember down at Lancaster Park when he ran into Fred Goodall. But the angle that he bowled from was very wide. It was about mid off, so that you always were worried about your off stump. Is it going to come in and hit your off stump. Obviously you had people like Marshal then and your Garner. Of course, Garner a very different bowler because of the optics, and he would bowl he never looked as if he was straining, but because of the length of his arms and his body, he could bowl the ball closer up to you as a right hander and a left hander, and it was on you much faster, so it bounced a bit more as well. So and he had a great yorker. So and then there was Marshall you have mentioned, who used to swing it in and he would just run through the crease. He would sort of poke his backside out so that he had his arm there was a place for his arm to go straight under where he didn't have to go across his body. He just went straight underneath his body. In other words, but yeah, I would have thought Marsia was the most accurate of all those bowlers. Garner was very good as well, and he swung it in slightly and he had a screaming bouncer as well. So but I mean, I am constantly surprised you sent me just the figures I think of Hadley. I am constantly surprised, and I shouldn't be. Just how good Richard was, you know, he's he's bold. What I think around about twenty two thousand balls. I can't remember the figures you said. You said Anderson was forty thousand. Marshall was a bit less, wasn't he. He got three hundred and seventy six wickets I think from my memory, and Paddles was four thirty one, So seventeen thousand deliveries twenty two thousand kind of getting close ish, weren't they. So that just shows how devastating Marshall was. And that's why you know, his stripe rate was happening every forty six balls, so he's getting a wicket every forty six balls, and Hadley paddles as fifty balls, so it's pretty close. And Anderson is fifty six, so he's taking another over on top of Richard to get a wicket. And where Richard stands out, of course, is the percentage of team wickets that he took. Now, you could argue that's because the rest of the bowlers weren't quite as dangerous as Richard was. But thirty four percent of the team wickets when Richard played, that's what he took. Marshall twenty six percent. Now that's a hell of a good figure when you think about the other names and the I've just mentioned to you all bursting to bowl and he's still able to get twenty six percent.
Speaker 4: The name is mentioned in thereby that I spoke with Andrew Mason. Did you ever face Sylvester Clark?
Speaker 2: Yes, he was.
Speaker 3: He was very very nicety, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Slingy Bold the day I played against him at Surrey. It was it was he bowled in his sandshoes and and he was very lively. Again, I mean, I think it was kind of talking to some of the players and honestly he was. You talk to some of the players in England who play against Surrey and they would that would be the first game they would look at and that was one they were going to miss when they were a batsman. They were not keen on facing Sylvester. They've got they've got a new stand over there at Surrey at the moment, and he is regarded so highly, Sylvester Clark. There's a bar right on top of that new stand and it's the Sylvester Clark Bar, and it has his own special rum rum. That's a potent drink that he used to drink, and that's the special that's always on special there because it's Sylvester's drink. It's quite a nice little touch actually. But yeah, obviously, you know those three bowlers we've mainly been talking about, Hadley, Anderson and Marshall have have dominated medium fast fast bowling. I mean Hadley and Anderson more of a similar pace, aren't they? Marshall much quicker? Of course, Hadley and Marshall using a cooker butter ball very different than Anderson using a duke's ball and where he got a lot more swing.
Speaker 3: So long they did the same, didn't they?
Speaker 4: Anderson and Hadley their main delivery, of course, was the was the one that went away, the outswinger. Marshall was able to do that, but he also had a pretty potent you know, h headball didn't.
Speaker 2: He Oh yeah, he could, but he bowlder a different lengths and those other two, the other two you were kind of prepared to go forward to. Hadley didn't use the bounce of that much sparingly, and the same with Anderson as he got a little older as well, could still use it. But Marshall would use it as certainly as a much more prominent weapon. And he he would just run in that you I mean, and just keep going and keep going. And he was the difference between New Zealand and West Indies. And that eighty five tour over in the West Indies, I think he got something like twenty eight wickets and it was more than anybody else because he could bowl for such a long time too well.
Speaker 4: Marshall, he was a sort of bowler that you know, if you asked him to bowl fifteen overs on a spell, he would do it.
Speaker 3: Not the most ideal.
Speaker 4: Thing to do, but he seemed to have that stamina and that desire to go over the top of any batsman that he came up to. Plaguegainst. I can't remember whether he played you at hut Wreck when we beat the West Indies.
Speaker 2: Was he playing, Yes, yes he did, and that was the difference actually between him in nineteen eighty and eighty five. He was sort of just still developing and couldn't get into that Test side in that series. But when he played us at the hut Wreck, I can remember pulling and hooking him there, but certainly wouldn't have considered it in the West Indies in eighty five, even on the flat tracks, you know, and we had a couple of the flat tracks there, you know, down in Guyana in Georgetown there, so at the Border Ground and also the first Test match he did play in that match too. I think that was a krinidad, wasn't it. Yeah, that's right. But they bowled different lengths and yeah, all but all three of them very precise bowlers. I think that's what underlines that all those figures, they knew what they were doing. They could have had control of what they did. I mean, Handley thirty six y five wicket bags. That's more than the other two have got. That's just fantastic. So, you know, we were so lucky to have Richard.
Speaker 4: Yes, when you look at the figures, it just proves, as you say, how good a player Richard Hadley was. But we knew that at the time, and of course he was a key to the successful years that we had in Test cricket, and he's up there with Marshall and of course Jimmy Anderson is there. Everybody has their own favorite fast bowler, slow bowler, batsman. There's some interesting discussion points about those various bowlers.
Speaker 1: Brian Waddell, Jeremy Cooney on the front foot.
Speaker 4: Finally, this week, Jerry, it's not been another very good week for our women cricketers. The coaches of the White Ferns, they're facing a fairly demanding task, aren't they. They've lost the fourth game and heavy defeats. The third game was at Canterbury. The fourth game was at the Oval. They had a chance in the game at Canterbury, but five dropped catchers and some sloppy fielding allowed Freer Camp and Alice CAPSI who have the freedom they wanted to chase down a title. Reacting to the third game, Sophie divine.
Speaker 7: Underneath it all. I'm really proud of this group. I just spoke at the aftermatch interview that at the start of the day we asked the group for a fight, a bit of ticker, and I thought today we showed that we were a lot more competitive, and to think that we didn't do so well with the bat, but to fight into script to one and then to take it to the last over, it's been a hell of a lot more competitive than the last couple of games. So as a group, you can't ask for much more than that. So really proud of that. But we know that we've got some areas where we need to you know, tidy up, but again there's plenty of positives to take out of it and we've still got two opportunities to go out there and get the victory. Yeah, it's an interesting point your raise, because we actually think our fielding has been outstanding this whole trip. I think we've we've shown great energy throughout the field. We've seen people moving off the ball, and today just wasn't our day, and that happens. I don't think it's a lack of skill or anything like that. I think today just had a case of the drop seas a little bit, I think. So, yeah, look, I don't think it's anything that we need.
Speaker 3: To dwell on.
Speaker 7: We know how hard we've worked on our fielding and you know, we know what our standards are.
Speaker 4: And then that heavy loss at the Oval. Maddie Green was the top batter for New Zealand.
Speaker 8: Her views, Yeah, obviously really disappointing today. You know that we know that England are a world class side and we've seen that throughout the series and we have to be playing well to compete with them and to give them a run for their money. And we went on today and they punished us. I think from a batting point of view, obviously it's having your your key players and your senior players stand up and put runs on the board. And I thought Sophie was excellent the way she pays her earnings and that that last match and today obviously we weren't able to get someone from our sort of top six to put a big score together, and you know, he runs on the board against Paulity England side is really important. But I thought the way that sort of as he thought when she came in, it was a really tricky situation for a very young player to be in, and you know, really proud of the way that she's sort of stood up and tried to keep fighting throughout their innings. So look, that's a positive to take away from this. And I thought eating cars and Bob well against some world class players as well, So what obviously really disappointing performance, but there are it's really pleasing to see some of our younger players, you know, and in front of a big crowd like that, sort of stepping up and you know, making their mark a little bit. Yeah, we thought we were right in that contest, and obviously the way that Freyer came in and she really took the game on and that last Lovers and took the game away from us, and that was tough. But she, you know, she talked to us pregame around just trying to really show some great and stand up and I thought you should really leap from the front of that game. And after the game she's sort of said to us, obviously we're all gutters, but she was sort of proud of the way that we fought in that match and competed and you know, real shame we can't back that up today.
Speaker 3: So it's the same old story. Jerry.
Speaker 4: Sadly, this side has a lot of work to do and I think they're going to have to reflect very much on the preparation that they've had, the selections that they have made, and we won't know until I guess they come to the Women's T twenty World Cup whether this has been a successful tour, but on results it hasn't, has.
Speaker 2: It, No, it hasn't. It'll be disappointing for all the players and the coaching staff and so on. They'll have set off with some high hopes. I guess I've you know, so what have they achieved? Well, I guess they've discovered a bit more about what they're not quite so good at rather than the other way around. So they'll come home feeling a bit uncomfortable. I think that they've been exposed. But you know the good part is that they should be very clear about what needs to be done and whether they're keen to improve and to change. So they're obviously they need a lot of work about playing spin and bowling, don't they. The England bowlers have dominated, so it's Sophie Ecleston, Charlie Dean and Sarah Glenn and they have taken you know, eighteen of the twenty five wickets to fall in the T twenties. We thought that the T twenties will be easier for New Zealand, didn't we.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they seem to have a bit more expertise and experience in that form of the game. But you know, they just haven't been able to fit into the conditions that they've faced in England. And yeah, I mean there is a lot of work to do. And I'm sure that you know the fact that Craig McMillan is over there. I don't know what impact he's had yet, but if they've taken him, then I think they've got to keep him to help those players. It's going to take more than money. There's got to be a lot of changes, doesn't there in terms of how we develop young cricketers in New Zealand, young women cricketers, and what they are doing to prepare. I don't think the preparation for this series has been good enough for those players. They needed more cricket, that's my view on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well they need that. They can't just carry on going and doing the same things from you know, various franchises around the world and then coming back to New Zealand and hoping everything will be okay. But the bowling too wads hasn't obviously threatened England, has it. I mean, even in the fourty twenties they've had that they claimed six wickets in the second T twenty, but that was a nine overslog so we can't count that. And in the other games they've claimed three wickets, four wickets and three wickets, so they're not getting through to those you know, lower order players enough either. That's because they're not scoring enough runs. So you know, they're just not a very strong side at the moment. But I think they're stronger than they're showing. And I'm sure they're individuals you know, will be disappointed when they look at their figures. They'll be extremely disappointed. I mean, if you looked at England, it wasn't just Eccleston and Thattsiver Brunt and here the night you've got suddenly because and relying on those very experienced players. But you get Bouchet, you get Beaumont, you get dead Dean and Glenn. I've mentioned Lauren Belle, You've got a five wickets Amy Jones. You know, suddenly other people around you start to play as well and play a large parts and games. And New Zealand haven't quite got those either, have they. You know, the Maddie Greens, the brook Calla Days and the Jess Curves, the leader who those people who have played a lot of cricket. Really, if Baits and Divine don't score runs, we've got to develop some of those other players who can come through, and they're not quite doing it. So yes, a lot of work to be done, a lot of work for the coaching staff. Good test for them.
Speaker 4: Yes, indeed, we're going a chance to discuss the tour with one more game to play next week, and I've got a test for you. I want you to do some thinking during the week too. Have you got time to do some thinking?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay, Weds, I'd always liked a challenge.
Speaker 4: Well, you'll have to think, because I don't think you'll be applying for the job. The Blackheads need a new bowling coach or do they do they need a new balling coach? And if they do, who is it? Do they need someone with the team or should the bowling coaches the spread around the country try to develop new talent? Is that a fair question?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think it is. It's certainly a pretty basic question. But you're right they've advertised, which seems to suggest that they want one, or at least like they'd like sort of you know, people who are shown interest. I wonder where they've gone to WADS. I know that, I know that Moose. Last week. Peter Holland, who we had on a couple of weeks ago, he's he got an email asking him that he wanted to be the bowling coach or if he knew someone someone who who might be interested. I hope they've looked WADS, you know, rather than just you know, a quick call when we need a coach that got to know a few people you know, Well.
Speaker 4: Well, we'll give it some thought and come up with some ideas that next week. Shane Bond of course would be the best, but he's got other work to do, and probably more lucrative work. So we'll have a thing about that and talk about it next week. And of course if you want to give a view on it, you can get in touch with us on the front foot twenty at gmail dot com and we're happy.
Speaker 3: To take your viewpoints.
Speaker 4: Jerry, I don't want to have any anonymous emails from you.
Speaker 3: You can go and do that thinking the thinking that I've asked.
Speaker 2: I will go into a pencils mood immediately and come out of the other side, hopefully and with a few names for you and with some suggestions.
Speaker 4: Yes, well, I hope that it's a pretty site, because normally it doesn't when you come out the other side.
Speaker 2: But no, you're right, quite right, we will say goodbye.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry of.
Speaker 2: Course they got off all right once. Look after yourself, boy, wrap up mon all the world.
Speaker 1: The fuldes of Summing. Do for more from News Talks at b Listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio.