Speaker 1: Oh you know, and welcome back to the Mad Monday Podcast. There's always brought to you by four and twenty pis the perfect at home snack for watching the rugby League. My name is Minia Stewart. I'm joining the studio this fine Monday afternoon by Die Henwood. Good morning, Die, Good afternoon. I've I did a rewatcher the game. I thought I wasn't going to, but I did. I did my Monday morning catch up on the bits and bobs I've missed and then sort of start just put that game on and got transfixed and it wasn't better. That it wasn't better the second time. I was just going to say this, I did the exact same thing this morning. I was at the game and about twenty minutes into it, whenever they scored their second try the Eels, I was like, I can't do this and I turned my back on the On the game, I was treated to some corporate hospitality, so I hit the buffet pretty hard.
Speaker 2: I have to say it was we were commentating looking directly at I suppose the oldest school fans just under the coach's box. Yeah, and that's the first time in a while I've seen a straight up walk out from that section. Yeah, it was just tough viewing because we I was getting nervous when we had about ten to fifteen minutes on their line and just couldn't score. Yeah, then they scored three times the next three times they got the ball, Yes, yeah they did.
Speaker 1: And it was for me it was the way they scored those tries as well. There was just it just looked like they just ghosted straight through gaps out on our each defense. And when you're at the game, I was saying this, I think on the Agenda podcast this morning. When you're at the game, you know, the crowd rules for our tries, but there's no reaction when they score, and so it's just dead silent and you're all sort of sitting there with your own thoughts, like, damn, what happened.
Speaker 2: There that Jake Tungold try. I think the first one that was a beautiful play, oh yeah, but then the next two were just straight through one on one missus. This is where we really miss Rock o'berry, who is the best one on one tackler in the comp. Yeah. Oh, for sure.
Speaker 1: We talk about like the best defenders in the comp. He's been one of them. And you know, I know, we go on about the injuries, but it is real. We are the most injured squad in the competition. But even then, it's like it's just the way they were coming through. If you didn't watch the game and you only saw the score line at the end, you could be tricked into thinking that it was a much closer game than it was. We laid on I think about sixteen points in the last ten minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like it was looking very grim. Then they got sinburn and then we just ran the numbers on that side. Yeah, And it's weird. We we played with so much urgency towards the end. I know, but it seems so casual in.
Speaker 1: The first seventy four minutes.
Speaker 2: Seventy four minutes, and when I watched other games, our kicking game just doesn't seem on point.
Speaker 1: Often for no one, you know what I mean. Yeah, a little bit shapeless, like you're not packing out a guy and just been not right, we're gonna bomb Dws's corner, or you know, we're dribbling it into the golf of this or that. You're right, it's like we're just kicking because you have to kick on the last and I think we've had that for the entire season, haven't we. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was running some numbers again to try and get a mathematical prediction of if we can make the eight, and we sort of technically could. But what's hurting us is all those teams that were around us last year have suddenly got a lot better dogs, manly even Dragons, Titans, Dragons beating Melbourne and shout out to Melbourne making the eight fourteen times and fourteen years, that's ridiculous, and the Warriors making the eight nine times in thirty years.
Speaker 1: Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's not a fun stant No, it's not you watching how because you know I was doing all the math as well before this game came in.
Speaker 1: You know, we got the buyer in the last round, so it's like to add that to our telling. Now, then if we win this one, you could conceivably convince yourself where in the top eight it gets dire. Now, we can still make it if we if we rattled off four, But after watching that game, like you said the replay, it felt even worse. That is not a team that's about to rattle off four games in a row to go into the finals.
Speaker 2: Is it no, and we've got heavyweight games Dolphins, Bulldogs, Sharks and Seagulls. Is it segs?
Speaker 1: I think it might be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah it is. And they're all form teams. I mean that Bulldogs team. They're having a year we had. Yes, yeah, you're right. And it's interesting because I look at the Bulldogs. We're very similar right where we came in to take over from us the same time Cam Serraldo took over there. He had a shocker last year, but it's because they completely rejuvenated their squad.
Speaker 1: Well, we got them all mont.
Speaker 2: And so they sacked a lot of players and they've now got an exact squad they want. We bought thinking this year was the year we're going to win the premiership big time. We've got Ryan Hoffman. I was listening to the Wars Up TV guy. He made a good point. Sorry not Ryan Hoffman, Kirk Capewell. He made a good point. He said, Kirk cap Well is a real Ryan Hoffman type purchase. He's not doing anything wrong, but he's not going to break the game open.
Speaker 1: And I just think it was like the Kirk kpe bar thing was like anytime you got an opportunity to sign Kirk Cape, well to your rugby league franchise. You do it. Also, on top of that, there was the Penrith sort of Wavy Cape situation. But I just you're right. I don't know. I don't know if it was what we needed, although I don't really know how the salary cap works in.
Speaker 2: The NFL, whether we miss Justin Morgan, yeah, coaching like, yeah, just I can't nothing. There's nothing I can put my finger on. It's going to be said, see Jazz go. Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: I don't think he and I were going to become fast friends anytime soon, unfortunately.
Speaker 2: But it was like he had just got the errors out of his game, he had just got a lot of the penalties out of his game. Then he's been let go. We're obviously banking on a lot of these young guys, but they need game time. I think I think you're right.
Speaker 1: Seraldo's got the club that he wants over at the Bulldogs. I think we need to give Wibe time to get the kinds of player because there is a kind of player he wants, and I think we need to give him time to get them. And God knock on wood, we can keep them on the park. We're going to talk very shortly about how.
Speaker 2: Have yeah, have we signed anyone for next year? Aside from James Fish.
Speaker 1: We have signed James Fisher, Harris none that I've no big names or no big names, but I do think I reckon there's another couple of couple of shots to be fired. But just on the weekend, I just I can't get past the fact that they're sicking from the table. And I know that on paper the Eels are actually better than how this season has gone, but they're missing some big players as well. You know, Mike Sivo, Mitch Moses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they didn't have this starting half. Why am I forgetting the props name Junior Polo?
Speaker 1: So like, there's all these guys out for them, but still just to lose to the second last place team on the latter as a real heartbreaker for me, and I don't think that it builds the kind of confidence that we need to win four games in a row. And if I had to put it, like put that lost down to one thing, probably the spot.
Speaker 2: I obviously want to reach for injuries straight away, but I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, I just feel like when we when we let a couple of tries in, it opens the flood gates a little bit. I don't know what it is or who's fault it is, you know, I just wonder, like they get behind the sticks, Are they having a yarn? Are they pointing fingers?
Speaker 2: What worries me is the stat that we have won four out of nine at Mount Smart this year. Yeah, one was a drawing it yeah, it's well yeah one of the so one was a draw. But so, yeah we've won.
Speaker 1: I suppose you could call that fifty to fifty, but you.
Speaker 2: Know that that should be our fortress. Yeah. I also I worried about this at the beginning of the season. We don't maybe look quite as fit as some of the other teams, so maybe we need one hell of an off season. There's the elephant in the room of are we going to resign Sewan Johnson?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he's yeah. Asked about that ad nauseum.
Speaker 2: He was what's going to happen to to Harris.
Speaker 1: Out for the rest of the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I I really don't know with Sewan Johnson. One, if I had to guess, I would say yes he re signs because he has been offered contracts from other clubs and I don't think that no matter where you're out in your career, you ever turned down guaranteed money when it's in six figures, you know, even if you get to tape yourself together.
Speaker 3: Oh, because then the tigers throw I think the roosters as well. The roosters, yeah, both of them. So you know, I don't think it doesn't matter how much money you got someone offers you three, four or five six hundred thousand dollars a year. I think you just take it and figure it out.
Speaker 2: And I think what hurts is like You've got Dallen who is daily and winner, winner of the year. You've got Sean who what's the daisy? To be honest, you know he got pipped at the post. They both dipped in form. Well, our attacking structure is different. I'd have to say Wade is maybe dipped in form, but he takes so much traffic in the middle. It's an interesting one and it's a very rude awakening for Webee because he sort of started had the golden start.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think because I was talking to my dad about it yesterday and I was like, if I had to put my finger on one thing, there was the difference between last year and this year. It is as simple as we essentially lost the Dali M Player of the Year. Shawn Johnson should have won it last year. It was like a clerical era that he didn't. And then he's just been injured all year. So it's through no fold of his own. But he has been playing with injury or been out with injury for this entire year. And I think if you take the best player in the competition off a team, I don't think it's that ridiculous to think that'd fall out of the top four down to fourteenth.
Speaker 2: You know, you have a look at the Broncos and Adam Reynolds exactly because last year I think everyone thought that where he's just Willy went with Will, where he was Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory. You know that he was just this mythical guy. But now it's like always at the Grindstone.
Speaker 1: No, now he's Willy Wonker in that tunnel where it just goes full acid trip oh hard, and they're certainly not showing.
Speaker 2: Any times that they are slowing.
Speaker 1: That's him right now. He's just in the middle of it. Everyone's injured. This fucking trippy kalitoscope effects.
Speaker 2: You got glasses glope, but you got on Timmy TV or whatever his name is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: All of the different players that we've lost through injuries are the different children that died in the Wonka factory for various different reasons.
Speaker 2: Also, man, if I went on a chocolate factory tour and there were that many deaths, you'd have to contact someone after the first. After the first, you just have to maybe reach out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean maybe I could be convince if the first person died and I was just like, hey, I think you kid just drowned the chocolate river back there, and someone's like, nah, yeah, there right, we'll keep going after the second definitely.
Speaker 2: And a whole lot of tiny Donald Trump's just carried them off to another room.
Speaker 1: Do you guys seen it?
Speaker 2: No, no talk of so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Warrior season has been Willie Walker in the chocolate factory. We've only got like Charlie. He's the only one left. Yeah, Charlie from the chocolate factory and his granddad.
Speaker 2: And I mean it's I feel for the club because we were heading our strides. We're selling out every home game. The game of league is popping off in New Zealand. But this is when we need to end strong. Yes, I'd love I we probably could mathematically make the ape, but I don't think so. But I want us to end strong, go into Vegas, get a win over there, and reassert ourselves. Yeah, for sure, And I think we can do that.
Speaker 1: And I think we neither of us wanted to come in here today and have leave this podcast studio.
Speaker 2: On a negative note. So let's take a break. When we come back.
Speaker 1: We don't outline exactly how we can do that, how we can turn it around, not just for the end of the season, but how next year. If we're going to make next year our year, how do we do it.
Speaker 2: Also, just before we do go to this break, I really feel for Maila Graham Tulfaw. Well, like you're a young guy, you have a breakout game. Oh yeah, Then I don't put it down to his fault, you know how sometimes you just have one of those games of something where you can't do any every ball you drop. I have it in cricket. Sometimes I'm a great catfielder, right, but then sometimes I just cannot catch a ball. And he just had one of those ones where he was slightly out of position, he dropped the ball gets stood up in a tackle and then you just keep losing your confidence because now you're guessing yourself. Yeah, and it's that's the thing with these younger guys. They need, you know, you've got to have a good swag of games under you, yeah, before you just feel safe and first grade ali Le Tower's doing great, excellent. I really like how we've used tame to a picky through the year, giving him time, but not like going the teams on your shoulders, although it did he won the magic round. No, you're right.
Speaker 1: And then the opposite side of that is how many wingers have we seen come through the penwith panthers thing and then just get signed by another team straight away and then.
Speaker 2: They just bring another one up.
Speaker 1: It's like, well, yeah, of course, because you can't. You don't fail when you're on the end of the.
Speaker 2: That's where I think Robbo wants to take the club, which is why. And look we've got SGB oh the owner bringing in or these yeah teams you know. Yeah, so I think we've got the stocks and yeah, let's talk about how we can come out of the blocks and win the prem next year.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick breathing when we come back, We're gonna We're going to fill you with hope for twenty twenty five. All right, welcome back into the Mad Monday Podcasts. If you're king to join the ACC team from Massive Rugby League weekend in March of twenty twenty five in Las Vegas, you can do that. Just takes Vegas to three two three six to book your spot. You're heading over to Vegas, aren't you.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm over there with the ha ha hurly the man. I'm going to be looking after a planeload of people.
Speaker 1: It's a long flight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never done a thirteen hour stand up. G're going to playing before.
Speaker 1: But have you got thirteen hours? You reckon? It's hours.
Speaker 2: It's the type thirty. Now. I don't think they want to see much of me at the event we do when we land, but yeah, we're taking a crew over. I reckon. It's going to be phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: The hardest thing is though, four games in one day is a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's eight hours of rugby league. It's a good God's honest shift at the rugby League Factory. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think as talking to some people in the know, and I think our games the second game perfect, which is perfect. So yeah, sort of cruise in and get a feel for the stadium. Check the warm up game.
Speaker 1: Catch the second half of what we'll call a curtain raiser.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then I'd obviously want to watch the Panthers game. I think there's a Super League game. Yeah, miss that Warrington Wolves, you know that it switched Telly Workers or whatever. And then you've got the jill ARUs playing the English women's team and then the Panthers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's accountable. Also, like, how do you approach it if you go to burg on night one? Is that your night one?
Speaker 2: Hey? Where I'm where I'm intrigued is we're going the reverse to how I think a Vegas trip should be focused around an event. I think if you've got a specific event in Vegas, you have to almost walk off the plane to that event. I agree. Yes, we're landing, having three days, then the game, then fly out the next day. I'll be a husk. A husk because I almost think, right, you've got a bit of excitement on the plane, you sort of need to land go and drop your bags, get into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so too. Throw the bag at the back wall of the hotel room. Yeah, straight into it, go out party all day.
Speaker 2: That's obviously going to go into the night. Ye, go back to your hotel reevaluate the decision you made for about ten hours, then get back into it in a more gentlemanly like fashion.
Speaker 1: Yes, I agree with you. I've heard the ACC trips not going that way either. So they're going Las Vegas, sorry La for a NBA game, then to Vegas, so again Husk City by the time they get there.
Speaker 2: I agree with you, you should it just go straight in there. There is going to be some steamed hands at that game.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. But what a way to start your season. And what they call Round zero now over there in Las Vegas. I reckon this after watching the first round in Las Vegas. It's not so much about growing the game in Las Vegas. It's more about growing the game here in Australasia because we love it and it's a great place for us to go.
Speaker 2: But I think it's just forty thousand Aussies and kiwis in a different stadium, And I mean what I think this is gonna as we segue into how we're going to be awesome next year. I think this is actually going to be a great bonding experience for the team, because I think they're on the ground. One of the one of the sort of I suppose requirements was that they stay in Vegas the whole time. So I think their boots on the ground in Vegas for ten days maybe, so it'll be a great bonding experience. Yeah, hopefully we've got some new signings, you know, by then, and welcome to the club fellas. Yeah, and yeah, we'll see what young guys they take over. And yeah, no, I think it's going to be good for the club, and it's going to be a great way to start. And I'm so stoked we're playing the Raiders rather than the Panthers, oh one.
Speaker 1: D because it'll be so NRL of them to be like, hey, we're going to send you guys over to Las Vegas, but we're going to fuck you up at the Panthers.
Speaker 2: Play the Panthers or the Storm. Yeah that's right. I really thought that's what they're going to do, because the Raiders is just a team for us. We don't have a whodo against them all for them. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I saw a comment on a Reddit through this morning when I was scrolling around when after that loss, and someone said they should send the Warriors to New zealand get them out of Australia next year.
Speaker 2: My favorite Reddit comment I said putting our through was imagine being a single name motherfucker trying to get into the war we have. It's outrageous how many even the new guys love Mawhila Graham tel for Yeah, it is. It is outrageous.
Speaker 1: But no, I've said for the longest time the best rugby league players come from broken homes and that's why we've got such a great squad guard at the moment, but I think yeah next year. So as we said before, the only signing that we've got confirmed so far is Fisher Harris, and I think that is the best signing that we possibly could have made in the rugby league.
Speaker 2: We're talking a lot of levels, on many, many.
Speaker 1: Many different levels. First of all, three time Grand Chabot, so you know we're talking about a guy who knows how to win competitions of rugby league. He is a Kiwi and he's as key as they come, like he's and also.
Speaker 2: He personifies mana. Yeah, like he carries so much mana. You don't much with Fisher Harris no word is he's a real club man as well, like he demands high training. He'll pully not like pay out on the younger guys, but be such a good example. Yeah, and I think when you've got people like him rts tahou Cape.
Speaker 1: Well, who would you say has been our best player this year for the Warriors, Mitch Barnie, Mitch Barnier. And he is a man of great mana as well, even though he's an Australian come over here to in New Zealand. He's resigned. He is the captain that ta who Harris is out? But even when to who was in there, you could tell he was the one that everyone looked to.
Speaker 2: So now you he's a talker. Where to who's nodded to? Who's lead from the front?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know lead by example, has a great way with talking to the reef, which I think is why he was the captain.
Speaker 2: I was at a arcade right with my kids and this woman next to me goes this Steven Adams man. I was looking Harris and then it was the first time I went should they actually do they give off similar vibes? And too's at all? Dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a big basket. But yeah, no, you're right, that was the exact same note. The only note that I made, and how can we make next year? Our year is high runner. This team needs to have an identity, and I think we had that last year and I don't quite think we've had that this year. And I think it's about bringing in those guys like James Fisher Harris and what he can do for because, like you say, we've got this awesome crop of young fellas coming through, and so we just need to make sure that we have a team with a solid identity because then even if we lose or you know, we finished next season in fourteenth place, if we can put our hand up so look, we had a team that had a clear identity that didn't go our way, then we can feel good about the team. And I think that that's maybe what we're feeling right now. Coming off the high of last year. We come into this year lost our identity a little bit and we're like, fuck, at least if we had to fired some shots, you know.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know, Like the identity thing I think is so crucial because where we succeeded so much in twenty twenty three was grind. Yeah, we just every man played for their other man. We tackled our asses off our goal line defense was insane. Now I notice, I think we need to HARKing back to another thing old Wars up TV said a good analysis. Dude, he just made a good point around. We do probably need some sort of attacking coaching flair put in because last year we had which I think was justin Morgan, we had this big sweeping plays, so many dummy runners, shortball, long ball. Now I noticed we just have a sweeping back line. We don't have such an intricate flow in the offense, and a lot of that is probably because we were fresh last year and teams to video on us. So I think we we need a lot of reinvigoration. But why I'm excited about next year is it's not like, right, let's burn the club down and start again there. We just need That's what I was saying before this Eels game. I was hoping the Eels game would be the game where we clicked and we just got into form. Yeah. So if we if Sean stays on, I just hope he goes works on his body, does what he needs to be to be at one hundred percent and can somehow add a couple of tricks to his game or just dust a couple off. He has got them.
Speaker 1: You know. Even when he went to Cronulla, he was the leading triasis player in the competition. When he was over there in last year, he still had them. He was throwing no look, well not no look passes. He was throwing passes to where he couldn't even see charms, and he was throwing pinpoint passes to him as they were sweeping around that they had that right side clicking, and for whatever reason, they haven't this year, but we know that they can.
Speaker 2: No, it's right there. We're slightly relying on the short ball in the acordo a lot, so I think just a couple of tweets, yeah, and just a little bit of tweakage and we're going to be good to fly. We've got Tine Turpigi, who I think is almost at full first grade level, Real Ali, Leia Tower's coming right, a lot of green shoots around Lecajalasimo Dimitrix of a cooler even Tom Ali.
Speaker 1: We forget how young he is because he's been a you know, rotation player this year.
Speaker 2: Next year I think we'll probably see a bit maybe of Pasacala or Settu too coming in around the wing.
Speaker 1: I like the guys that we've re signed and Wade Egan you talk about obviously Minett, Yeah I believe. Oh no, I've lost it, but yeah, just some of the guys that we're that we're keeping on. You plug all of those dudes in and the key with Mitch baronets and this is no Luke.
Speaker 2: Metcalf look at you exactly because we were he's been gone all. He's cool when I saw him with his glasses on when we interviewed him. Yeah, he's got a Clark kent Via a little bit, yeah, a little bit, great talker too. Yeah, he's just like a buff Excel spreadsheet that scores strikes. It's exactly. He's a scouting report on look. He had a cracking game in the New South Wales Cup to Marty Martin did. Yeah, God, just as you think he can't get hotter like a herd out fisherman hunter dude as well.
Speaker 1: I know I've been saying the longest time he is whoever in New Zealand man thinks he is. When your confidence is at its highest, we all think that we're look metcaff You're like, you know what, if I wanted to, I could just go out drag ah a pope, take three a peg out of the bush, and then go play half back for the Warriors on the weekend.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: That's what he does.
Speaker 2: And that thing of not It's not like he's posing in front of a ford if I'm fifty with aar fifteen like some American punisher. He's just on like a eu stallion, Yeah, with an old school rifle and like a peg over the saddle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's tremendous so home around as well. I just feel like we're definitely starting to build a character of high mono players that I think once we can put that together next year and have a bit of pride in the in the country. You know, we're a one club country, and I think that once we put more of that money in the g.
Speaker 2: GY, I reckon, if we can get the manna between ninety and one, yeah, then we drizzle a bit of moldy order, a bit of spirit and a bit of life force on that. Unstoppable.
Speaker 1: I think we are unstoppable. So look, that's that's how I think. I think if we were to tie a bow on that it's the monna next year. It's about the mana, restoring the mona to the club, to the jersey. And also it's there at the ground by the way. Sorry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and look, I mean look what a little bit of mona and beliefs done for the Titans.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, why was Dan Carter and Tim Morrison in the changing rooms yesterday?
Speaker 1: Could you come to Mount Smart? No, it's like Tim, come on, come on, Tim, what do we doing? Could have done with it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Putting the money back in the jersey. I think he's a bold man looking at Tino for cook me some eggs. He's given him the full side eye.
Speaker 1: You were that even if you get that frying.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean we're there. I don't think we actually need to sign a huge amount of players. We just need to get all of our players back onto that twenty twenty three. I think this is we might just have to go. Let's forget about four, move into the preseason, you know.
Speaker 1: And it wasn't a bad year by Warriors standards. If we hadn't had the year that we had last year, this Warriors year, but good one, I would say we're twelve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've got a mathematical chance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mathematical chance. All right, let's draw a line under it. We'll take one more break. Hopefully that failed you at the bit of confidence with twenty twenty five. When we come back, we are going to go through the Stonker of the Round. All right, Welcome back to the Mad Monday Podcast. The four and twenty four pack prize pack is still going each Monday each month the Mad Monday Team. They're giving away four tickets to Warriors and four and twenty five ouches to enter. Just text the monthly keyword to three two three six. Listen the podcast steps to find out the new keyword each month. This month, because it is August, the keyword is game, So text game two three two three six to be in to win. But now it is time to talk about the best game of the weekend.
Speaker 2: It is the.
Speaker 1: Stonker of the Round and this weekend, die the Stonker had to be the Dogs verse the Raiders twenty two points to eighteen. I feel like the Dogs have found something in the last couple of weeks. I feel like they have clicked the way we've been waiting for the Warriors to click. They are playing. I described it this morning as they are playing like the Fijian drawer of the NRL. They will attack you from fucking anywhere. They will spin it wide on the first in their own twenty. They will just have a crack at anything. They're very exciting to watch out a car back on the weekend. They're going from strength to strength the dogs, aren't they.
Speaker 2: If you'd told me the Dogs will be involved in a Stonker of the Round last year, no way. They are back to back Stonker of the Round. I think Stephen Crichton is the best center in the competition. His try where he fended then sort of bumped off Jordan Rappana and then got over the line. He makes really hard plays seem very easy.
Speaker 1: He gave them both the business Chris and rap on it in the same play.
Speaker 2: Rappin is a bit of a punisher.
Speaker 1: I don't know what you've had a see.
Speaker 2: I sort of love him and hate him at the same time as he's hardcore grubby.
Speaker 1: He looks like I think we talked about it on the podcast last year. He looks like Waluigi, you know, the evil Luigi.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, if Waluigi sort of mixed up with one of those more eastra Island stagues.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he's got a bit of that going on. But this game, like I said that, they've they've found something in the Bulldogs.
Speaker 2: And when I was talking about the Warriors kicking game, then you see the opposite Matt Burton when you're kicking off your own thirty and he just lobs it down to their ten meter. Yeah he's kicking. And also he can kick the ball so high all the chasers have time to get down there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you can contest from anywhere. The other thing that they were talking about in the commentary was he kicks it higher than the lights. So the lights at the ground they were playing it last night. When he kicked it, it went above them. So for one mad moment you lose track of the ball. It's just a shit. I've seen one in the flesh and it is terrifying. It's just pure chaos.
Speaker 2: And it also has that weird wobble to it.
Speaker 1: It can shift about ten meters on its way down to you trying to catch it, and they know that. So as soon as that goes up, like every player on the field is like fucking here we go.
Speaker 2: And I where I've got a lot of re speak for the Dogs beginning of the season. They built themselves on defense. Now they're just playing entertaining football, and they forced you to play the way that they play.
Speaker 1: When they were the stonker of the round last week against the Broncos, the Broncos were having to do chip and chases out of their own end because they just to try and compete with them, and so they drag you into a ship fight. I think what they've figured out they seem to me like a PlayStation team. They traded all of the players in that they needed. You know, they got the Fox, they got Burton, they got Kriton, they went and got Kickout, they brought Red Mary. They brought all these dudes in over the last two years. And it was always going to be a little bit. But you could see Carez come out of nowhere. Now they got Bronze and Sherry back from four years of rampant steroid abuse. And they allegedly and but.
Speaker 2: You're not alleged that he actually was.
Speaker 1: Reported reportedly alleged. But you could see on paper all of the players, you know, they had.
Speaker 2: Well it's hard out PlayStation where they recruited all the people. Then they used all their stats points on.
Speaker 1: The average ones like Carrez bring him up, yes, yeah, and then they maxed out certain things, like they took the Fox and they're like, we'll max out his speed rating, Matt Burton, We're just going to max out his whole running and spiral punt and then like that's it, and then we're going to max out Reed Marney's pissing people off ability.
Speaker 2: And also how they everyone was mocking them as they bought like ten utility players. Yeah, but it's worked out perfectly. And ship the Liamy kick ou put a shot on, Yeah, could can plain footy, yeah, but he does exactly what you need and enforce her to do. He scares the Beejesus out of playmakers, yeah, exactly, and not illegally, just hits them hard on.
Speaker 1: Offense and on defense on both sides of the ball. And he had a really quiet year last year, but he is still really only kicked out And there is no substitute for just having a dude that big with magie noodles for here. Yeah, it's just terrifying. It's frightening.
Speaker 2: A sheepskin vibe as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like an old sheepskin, yeah, graggedy sheepskin, yeah, like a yeah.
Speaker 2: But I mean even it was the first time in a press conference I've seen Ricky Stewart actually just be that was a pretty cool game, yeah, because the vibe was so hostile.
Speaker 1: So yes, at the ground, it was a massive crowd. What is going on out there at Belmore?
Speaker 2: They so they have a traditionally very passionate They've always had a heavy Lebanese fan base. You've had your hairs and male masaries, those sort of players, Anthony Mundane. Yeah, passionate fans. Yeah, you know, and outside of any country that people are from, all those dogs fans are so passionate. And it felt like I got heavy European football sort of vibes with that crowd. And then they're shaking a van after the after the scenes afterwards, I thought, so they started doing the rounds of social media. The pants Man's putting them in our group chat. I was looking at the videos and I was like, I thought that they were I thought that they were videos from back when Willie Mason and them were winning cops. No, no, no, this was from the weekend.
Speaker 1: It's going on. They're trying to flip a van over. They just going ape.
Speaker 2: Apparently I expected Seal Team six to come in. At one point it had a real downtown Gander sort of vibe about it, that anything could happen at any time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. It was out of control and it was just like our game in round twenty two, Round twenty three.
Speaker 2: I was like, this is out of out of control?
Speaker 1: How are you going on there?
Speaker 2: I would never say this before. I think the Dogs could be you know how you pick a team you like in the finals, The Dogs could be that team for me.
Speaker 1: They are for me last week. I've seen enough. They're my team. I'm following them.
Speaker 2: They just play a really enjoyable brand of football.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they have a crack. And you know, we're talking about what we want the Warriors to look like. This has always been it for me. Just a team that has a crack, win or lose heart out, Yeah, and then play loose football, have a.
Speaker 2: White hot crack.
Speaker 1: You got Bronson Sherry, chip and chasing and Durrell Skelton coming out of absolutely nowhere.
Speaker 2: That's technically how you think the Broncos would play. Yeah, but they sort of have been in a similar state to us. Yeah, they've just picked the bunch the Bulldogs.
Speaker 1: They've just picked the bunch of like footy players and this year they finally got to the point where there just like we trust you to go for it.
Speaker 2: And if anyone wants to knock Gus Gould, I was a bit of a knocker.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He they said, he rebuild the club. He did a phenomenal job. Knows a bit about rugby league football, he does. He can he can analyze that kid, yeah he can.
Speaker 1: I reckon.
Speaker 2: He's got a big future in the game, that guy. Yeah, you know, I reckon. Even if he wasn't at the Dogs. I reckon another club would hire I reckon. They might, I reckon, they might remember he was it the Warriors for two months well just before lockdown. Yeah, and then he got the gig at the Dog Yeah, well could have done with them.
Speaker 1: So that's our stoker of the round. Just before we go, before knock this one on the head, I've got a random NRL.
Speaker 2: Stat to throw at you if I could.
Speaker 1: Congratulations to Isaiah Yongie on his winning debut, more importantly, becoming a first ever NRL player with the initials I I. There's never been a player in the NRL with those and he becomes the first new initials of the year and as noted by NRL odd Stats on Instagram, it's an alliterative name. So I I he making it the twenty first letter to be completed in the NRL. Wow, the only letter is yet to be done. Unsurprisingly, Q, Yeah, U, X, Y and Z. He is the sixth illiterative name to debut this year, joining Samuel stone Street, Trent Toylou, Liam LeBlanc, Luke Lowell, Lily and Harry Hayes this year.
Speaker 2: So Street stone Street, it's a real honest name. Good God's honest rugby league name. So I just wanted to share that one with you. That is a phenomenal stat isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we need a QQ to get in there. I can't see it happening anytime soon, all right? That it does for this week on the Mad Monday podcast will be back again on Thursday. Myself and Chris Key, who have not commentated a one together, We are commentating the Dolphins game this week in Sunday Sunday four pm.
Speaker 2: We broke the curse. We break the curse. We'll see you then. And Australia without rugby league is not Australia, right, Astralia right,