Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from News Talks B.
Speaker 2: Yes, welcome back. This is the Weekend Collective. I'm Tim Beveridge. If you've missed our Politics Central. Some fascinating couple of discussions, uh there with James Smith on the roding thing and Auckland Council's policy vote against the government's changing of the speedmen and all that. But and also Lockwood, Sir Lockwood Smith about the UK election result. But some surprising comments from Lockwood not maybe not surprising for him, but I was a touch surprised about his take on F P P and m MP. You can go check that out when you wear podcast. Go to the Weekend Collective on iHeartRadio is probably the best spot right now, though it is time for the Health Hub and joining me is well. He's a regular for those who are tuned to me regularly, and good on you for doing that. And his name is Greg Paine. Greg, howre you going?
Speaker 3: Good afternoon? I'm very well. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Now you are one of those insufferable folk who looks like it's still summer because your feet are still tanned, and because you've come in in jandles, because you're cruisy, laid back sort of guy. But you if I was to just beam into the studio now and somebody is to tell me, by the way, Tim, you're beaming into summer and your next guest is Greg, I wouldn't be surprised because look at you.
Speaker 3: The problem is that I spend so much time on the water, and I never ever like to wear boots booty has but I'm on the water. Son's constantly exposed to the environmental.
Speaker 2: Is it cold out there? When you're sort of kite are you kite surfing or what are you doing?
Speaker 3: Wingfoil wing?
Speaker 2: Okay, what's that?
Speaker 3: So it's like almost like a surfboard that's foiling. So we're above the water and we're holding onto a kite directly, okay, versus a kite which is on twenty.
Speaker 2: If you let go, would it fly away? Or are you tethered? It's attached to me, It has to probably has to be tethered.
Speaker 3: I have lost it. I have lost it once. Actually really yeah, I've had my line snap and blew away pretty much got to ring a toto from Comar on my beach so and someone managed to pick it up, So I was very thankful for that.
Speaker 2: How did you get it? But how did they know it was yours? Did you have?
Speaker 3: I had? I had a I called up coast Guard just to advise them that I'd lost my kite, and the woman professed her undying love to me straight away, because obviously that someone had found the kite and they were thinking, oh lord, someone's in trouble. We better send coast guard out to look for this guy. And I called it the exact right time, and she said, oh, I love you so much right now, So that made my dad.
Speaker 2: Actually, by the way, good on you for calling the coastguard, because that's exactly who should call and as opposed to people going on the cot blew away or never mind, forget it and.
Speaker 3: You don't want to send those guys out unnecessarily.
Speaker 2: Good on you anyway. Hey, by the way, you must be getting very excited for the I am really looking forward to the Olympics.
Speaker 3: I'm genuinely unsure as to whether I can watch really, so I'm so because your connection with the canoeists in particular. Yeah, I mean to watch all those girls. And it's also because I know just how much work goes on behind the scenes that people don't appreciate and just how hard it is this process of getting ready for the Olympics, and the emotion, the psychology.
Speaker 2: Make it even worse. Put some money on us.
Speaker 3: I'm not a betting person. I mean I would still put my money down on Lisa for sure, because I know just how incredibly talented she is. But yeah, I'm very thankful I'm not a betting person.
Speaker 2: Isn't it amazing that the tension on this is about which New Zealander is going to win? Sort of thing when I've got to make I almost want to go, you know, sort of unjinks the whole thing, because it's not a case of will will you know Lisa Carington when now she's got her a right of all, who's going to be on the water Amy Jimmy Fisher who's beaten her recently, So it's going to be fantastic. But bad track athletes as well, though the high jobs.
Speaker 3: I mean, Zoey Hobbs, our sprint is absolutely remarkable. I mean, we've got and our cyclists are our world world class road cyclists, and our track guys and girls obviously as well. But we've got some incredible going to the Oh yes, but I agree with you. I think the track stuff will be super exciting.
Speaker 2: Well, there's something about the Olympics in the track, and I know we've got to get onto our topics. But it's nice to band for about the stuff. But I do you know, essentially the Olympics the one for track and field, that is the pinnacle, whereas we have soccer World Cups, we have all sorts of tournaments, but track and field. And you know, I still miss it, you saying, of course, because he was such a showman that.
Speaker 3: And just the timing he would have when he's sprinting full gas and still have the ability to turn the left and smile for the cameras.
Speaker 2: As his cross sacrifice I wanted as world record.
Speaker 3: Probably did to be fair.
Speaker 2: Currently he slowed down on one of his world records. It's like he started celebrating about five meters out. It's like that's point two point zero two of a second problem.
Speaker 3: And also what we know about sprinting is sprinting is not about who's the fastest. It's about who decelerates the slowest. But I strongly suspect that even at top speed he was or was still faster than anybody else anyway, so he was very very fast and he didn't slow down, so that made him.
Speaker 2: Just amazing as he is was. Anyway, look, let's get on to the topic at hand now, even it's the we're going to talk about heavy lifting resistance training. By the way, if anyone, Greg is a biomechanist, and if you've got any questions about movement and maybe it's a problem you've got with a persistant injury, where you can share something to gregor he might be able to give you some guidance. Possibly he's not a physiotherapist, so he won't ask.
Speaker 3: You movement specific, movement specific.
Speaker 2: Okay, and I haven't met this for a while, but Greg actually also helped me with a persistent little injury I kept on having and he basically just filmed me running. He needed a pretty fast camera for that obviously, and analyzed my gait, my stance, my thread what's called cadence and no problem since so I can't complain anyway the lift osteoporosis. Though in particular, what we what have we learned about heavy lifting with ossis.
Speaker 3: The non farm I can't say this word pharmacological.
Speaker 2: Now you did that sounded pretty good.
Speaker 3: Correct, So word did I struggle with. I mean, there's obviously very good medication out there that helps osteopenia and OSTEOPOROTICCT suffer. So osteopenia, for those who don't know, is like the precursor to osteoporosis. It's a sliding scale. I mean, I can, I can discuss what is osteoporosis from a T scale perspective if you kneed me too, but from a what so sorry from it?
Speaker 2: You just said it from a T scale spect and you know what that is.
Speaker 3: In order to be diagnosed as osteoporotic or having osteopenia, you need to have what's called a dexa scan, and the scan will look at your bone density. Now, a normal healthy bone is when you have a T score of greater than minus one. So if you if you're minus one is the is the baseline. So anything from minus one to minus two point four T scale osteopenia two point five or less is osteoporosis. So historically there has been good understanding that resistance training is a helpful tool to maintain strength. But because with osteoporosis, bone becomes more porous, therefore it becomes more brittle and so there has been a lot of fear or uncertainty around the effect of heavy lifting, and heavy lifting is regarded as when you lift weight that is greater than eighty to eighty five percent of your one repetition maximum, so one irm there's the heaviest load you can lift.
Speaker 2: Because intuitively people think, with my bones a brittle and I'm going to start lifting heavy weights, they're going to snap, yeah, and you feel vulnerable. So there's a psychological barrier too, isn't.
Speaker 3: That in This study complete? And it's a very well peer reviewed study.
Speaker 2: So it's what's it called.
Speaker 3: It's basically look up the Lift More study, so it's l A F T m R. It was done in twenty eighteen out of a Griffin University in Australia and lift More. I've got it here written dancause I can never remember the exact order. Is short for Lifting Intervention for Training Muscle and Osteoporosis Rehabilitation.
Speaker 2: Do you think they really tried to make that sound like lift more in other words, lift more weight? Because it does seem like an interesting coincident.
Speaker 3: It's the most perfectly named study I can think.
Speaker 2: Of, except they're missing their e but that's because it probably helps make it look like a more of a brand. They had an e it would just look like I.
Speaker 3: Actually went to look and see if you can buy a lift more dot com, but it's already been sold, so that's been okay. But what this study did but which was really interesting, is it had fifty women. They were all postmenopausal, so there were five years postmenopausal. Average age was sixty five plus and minus five years. The average T score was minus two point one, so that they were.
Speaker 2: Quite but they were heading towards Austria process. That's the average T score so to two point ONEUS.
Speaker 3: Minus two point one. And there were fifty women in each group. So there was the control group, which is the normal that I'll use it inverted commons normal group, and that is where they had these particular women doing home based exercises two times a week for thirty minutes and it was basically like Pilarti stuff like lunges, squats, just healthy stuff, very lightweights. The maximum amount of weight they could lift was three kgs and their repetition count was between ten and fifteen repetitions, so it was quite high. Conversely, the experimental group. Both groups had fifty women. They had these women lifts five repetitions, were five sets of five repetitions with two reps in reserve. So what that means is they were lifting really really heavy for them.
Speaker 2: And it meant they could they possibly could do two more if they tried to fail.
Speaker 3: But let's stop correct to failure. And they did dexter scans before and after and so as I say, these women were all osteoporotic. And what they found.
Speaker 2: Was and what was that?
Speaker 3: How many groups were there too. There was the experimental group in the control group. It was an eight month study. It was two thirty minute sessions per week. The experimental group was supervised, so there were groups of eight with a sports therapist or a physio over watching making sure their technique was good. At the end of the eight months, only two women pulled out or one was extracted out she didn't disclaim some medication. One woman pulled out for travel reasons. Other than that, ninety two percent of the woman who started completed it. And their bone density so the average age was sixty five. There were postmenopausal these women. Their neck of femur, which is the top of your thigh bone, your neck of fema and your lumber spine, your bone and your lower bones on your lower back, their bone density increased, which has never been identified before. So the control group who were doing the light weights and the lunges and the stretches, their bone density continued to decrease.
Speaker 2: So their bone density increased what marginally or increased to a level where would have kept and what do we know?
Speaker 3: Well, so this study only lasted for eight months. So what they found is that you need to do these sort of intervention plans for a good period of time, a minimum of four months to start seeing any change. But they kept it going for eight months.
Speaker 2: So I guess it stopped it getting worse and so in fact, it improved it absolutely.
Speaker 3: And what they also found which was really interesting, is because so the experimental group, the lift more group, they were doing deadlifts, back squats, they were doing an overhead shoulder press, so they were standing with weights and pushing the weights vertically up. And they were also doing what's called like a drop chin up. So there must be like a pliometric chin up where your bounce seeing and doing the chin up so your feet are hitting hitting.
Speaker 2: Funny enough, those are pretty much the four exercises. My guy gave me yeah, and just to failure. I don't think it's I was last yea product. He just said, do some heavy lifting it gratefully.
Speaker 3: You listen to the likes of doctor Peter Attire and these guys who are big into the wellness sort of global community, and the one thing they talk about is resistance training, lift heavy weights and don't be afraid to do it. Because the one thing that was most interesting in the study is that of all the women in the lift more group, no injuries were sustained. There were no fractures, there were no cracks to the bones. One woman strained her back very slightly doing a deadlift. That meant that she couldn't do the next session, but she could continue on for the rest of the eight months.
Speaker 2: I think that's the trick, isn't it is to get into that stuff without blowing a food food.
Speaker 3: Well. The real key to this is that they've shown that it's safe, but you need to be supervised, so if you don't have a history of and they've also shown sorry just to interrupt myself, is they've also shown that the benefits of this sort of work can be started at any age. At all, Like, if you're well into your eighties already and you've got osteoporosis, you can go to the gym with the right amount of supervision, that which is key, and you can start to make positive changes by doing this. Because what they've also founder is like in New Zealand there's something like plus or minus four thousand osteoproduct fractures of the hip every year. So that's because of falls.
Speaker 2: So that's not that's not actually just a quick question and this might well you might may m I not not. But when people need a hip replacement, is that because of an osteoporitic or is that just because the hip dronts were worn acts we're living longer and.
Speaker 3: All osteoarthritis traditionally really yeah, so it's so.
Speaker 2: You have joint where naturally I thought everyone just about had to have a hip replacement.
Speaker 3: If you know we're of a similar age, if you scanned our hips, we've probably got you know, changes or degradation within our hurt because it's age related changes. And what MRI studies have also shown is that you could have one hundred people of the same age, men or woman, same age doesn't matter. Witch group, and you can study, sorry, you can scan their hips and some or knees, doesn't matter which joint we're talking about, and some will have high levels of degradation and some will have low levels. And there's no correlation between pain and discomfort and dysfunction between what the scan shows and what you feel. So someone could have like very low levels of osteoarthritic changes in their knee and have quite a lot of discomfort, whereas someone could also have very high levels of arthritic change in the knee joint and have minimal discomfort and can go running and riding and leading a normal healthy happens. Well, yeah, that does get progressively worse. And there are you know, there are studies around osteoarthritis which shows not the same as the lift Moore, So osteoarthritis and osteoporosis clearly are two different things, and the ostiothritic heavy lifting protocols shown it doesn't make any difference relative to joint comfort now in comparison to lighter weights. But what it does do is it builds more strength around the joint, which is a positive thing as well.
Speaker 2: So either way, heavy lifting is a thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it has been a gravitational shift in the last few years towards and everybody has the capacity to do it in some way, shape or form, and that fear around heavy lifting needs to be removed.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'd like to take your course. If you've got any calls around this something, I know we're giving you good information. You might think, what have I got to ask? But and it comes to just getting into the weightlifting as well. I'm sure Greek can offer a little bit of insight into into that if you decided. And I think the thing is for many people who once they get older, and I guess as you slow down, if you've become less active. I mean, hell, I don't want to generalize too much because I tell you what, there's a lot of older people who have probably put younger people to shame. Were stuck on their devices all the time while you're busy clowning, climbing should I say climbing up So something.
Speaker 3: I did a presentation last week to a group of to my partner Kirsty's Mums group in Melford, Corra Hairy Club and it was about one hundred woman average age probably mid to late seventies, and this one lady came up to me.
Speaker 2: Hope you're right on that, because if they are younger, you're in trouble.
Speaker 3: Susie's over in Vancouver. I can't hear this numb But this one particular woman came up to meet the end of it and she said, you know what, and she was seventy five. She told me her own she said, I've been lifting weights since i was seventeen. I've just had a scan done. I've got the bone health of a twenty year old.
Speaker 2: Wow. She was just showing up and her.
Speaker 3: Posture was And one thing that was really interesting with this, you know, going back to the number of fractures that we see arth osteoproduct fractures, is with this particular study that the average height of the woman doing in the lift more group increased, so they actually managed to stop that sort of thought called cophotic flection, that that flection forward by lifting heavier weights. And what we know from a mechanics perspective, if you're more upright, your center of mass is more over in a vertical plane, less likely to fall.
Speaker 2: Okay, right, We're going to take some calls. Eight hundred and eighty, ten eighty. You can text on nine two nine two and we'll be back in just a moment. And if you wanted to know about getting into weightlifting and some suggestions on how to. I don't mean weightlifting like your precious Mackenzie at the Olympics. Of course that's a retro name, isn't it all precious? But we're talking about getting in lifting heavyweights, something that marked to you sound a little foreign, especially if you're getting a bit older, but it could be the answer to improving your bone health. It's twenty four past four News Talk set B and did you know that one in six New Zealanders experienced hearing loss? And choosing the right heiring solution for your individual needs is important. Your local Triton Hearing team will work with you to find the best hearing solution for your listening needs, lifestyle and budget. So if you or someone close to you are considering hearing aids, the twenty twenty four Consumers Guide to Hearing Aids is out now and available exclusively from Triton Hearing. It's the only truly independent guard in New Zealand, so you know you're getting the best advice. You'll find out about the latest hearing aids from top brands. There's information on everything from features and styles to a price guard to help you choose the right hearing device for your lifestyle and budget. To order your three twenty twenty four Consumers Guide to Hearing Aids, simply visit Tritonhearing dot co dot nz or call on eight hundred forty five forty five forty two. That's eight hundred forty five forty five forty two.
Speaker 1: When it comes to the collective, it's all about you. The Weekend Collective with Tim Beveridge News talks at be.
Speaker 2: Yes and taking your cause. We're talking about weight training, weight training, heavy weightlifting, resistance to resistance to thank you, Greg. What sounds a bit with Greg pain? That's the millfluous tones.
Speaker 3: You hear that.
Speaker 2: That's Greek right now? Right Net? Hello?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Hi Thisten. About twenty five years ago, I used to go to the gym and I'd pulled down one hundred cages, so I kind of had some experience of it. But look, six weeks ago I picked up long COVID between two weeks and a recliner before I went to hospital because the vice says I don't. I had three weeks in a hospital bed and then another two to three weeks floating around and a recliner at home. So consequently my muscles have turned to flipping mush and I know that, and I'll try and walk up to steps and I'm trying to get oxygen back into the lungs. I'm about eighty percent now, but throwing rumor toy an ankle and an ankle fusion and a total on the other leg and all sorts.
Speaker 2: Of wars mate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, at the angle over the last ten years. But there's no joke that long COVID an three.
Speaker 3: So what this is. This is really interesting stuff because what we know. And my brother is a physiotherapist in Melbourne and they run an osteoporotic class. I'm extrapolating between what you've just said to me and what I'm about to say, and they've shown that it doesn't matter how old you are, it doesn't matter what you've done in the past. You can start literally by lifting a broomstick at the absolute lightest amount of weight possible, just by starting to start really really light, and just build your confidence and build your structural resilience in that sort of movement pattern. And I always say, look, if there was one exercise I would prescribe my entire client base and one exercise only. It would be a deadlift. And that's it. Because you can start incredibly light. It doesn't it's not a complex movement. I mean, there are things that we see you do and don't do. But you can absolutely start from any sort of weight and you want to just start to build that stimulus over time where you feel more and more comfortable lifting heavier weights. And yes, you going.
Speaker 4: I remember trying as telling me years ago, if it hurts, it's working.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not such a big fan of that. I mean, if you're dealing with, say an Achilles tendinopathy, then yes, I would agree with that. But no, I mean, there are things that we want to see you do from a structural perspective when you're doing so you're deadlift or your back squad. But as I as, I'm just trying to say, don't feel like that because of your age, or because of your history, or because of your injury history, you can't do it, because you absolutely you can. You can regress to the point that you can manage the situation and the load.
Speaker 4: Start with a couple of cogs on the old balls.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I build.
Speaker 2: Do you need what I mean, should you get some side don't say supervision, but you know I mean it doesn't hurt to have. Well, it's probably quite advisable, isn't it to get some sort of input from somebody who can keep an eye on your first few session or two.
Speaker 3: Ideally, if you don't have a history of going to the gym and having confidence in how to lift weight, then yes, and particularly this study did show if you have osteoporosis or osteopenia, then you absolutely must get supervision. But if you've spent on the gym in the past, a deadlift is not as I say, it's not that complex. So just start to build over time and you will notice a difference.
Speaker 2: Good on you, a good luck nack y Okay, well he's got a sense of hum about it. At least, good on you. Hey, just quickly, here's one after my own heart. How does snow skiing help increase bone density?
Speaker 3: Not really no, So the reason being is because in order to improve bone density, that's why in this lift more study they had the plometric chin ups because you need to have contact, you need to have weight bearing contact with the ground. And yes, you are upright, but you're sliding. So they've shown studies have shown that things like riding a bike in swimming do not help bone density, whereas walking and running do. So if you're doing nothing or skiing, definitely ski, but you're going to get more by walking and doing some light jobs.
Speaker 2: And the scenery is nice too.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Actually, I've got one other quick one just before you go to our text callers who are lining up as well. Hi, guys, I'm eighty years old to practice yoga for fifty years. My practice includes a series of handstands. Is this equivalent to doing weights? Cheers K.
Speaker 3: That's a really good question. I mean you are certainly putting your body weight in a vertical plane above your shoulder joints, so I mean, yes, there is going to be stimulation. So the reason why the study was so beneficial was because it showed that bones like to be bent and twisted and tortured, not excessive.
Speaker 2: No, No, I know.
Speaker 3: That's why we keep that rep count within that certain zone. So doing something like that, like a handstand, is certainly going to be beneficial in some.
Speaker 2: Sounds like Kay's asking, is that enough? And I'm going to guess and say No, your probably be picking up some dumb bells.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this should be more okay, more stimulus.
Speaker 2: Yep. So okay, while you can feel smug about doing your yoga and handstands, K and good on you.
Speaker 3: Absolutely I can't do a hand that's.
Speaker 2: Something else on there with the right supervision of course. Right, let's carry on, Sally. Hello, Hello, Hi Sally.
Speaker 5: When you say lifting weights, is that up to your shoulders or above your head?
Speaker 3: So the only within this particular study, the only over the shoulder exercise was so they did it in standing. It's called an overhead shoulder press. So it's like you've got standing upright, looking at a mirror, for example, and you'd have a bar of an appropriate amount of weight for you, and you're literally just pushing the bar vertically up towards the ceiling. So I mean, if you have a shoulder issue that would stop you from doing that, then you could leave that out. As I was sort of saying to Tim just before, just even doing your deadlifts or your back squats is going to be hugely beneficial. But yes, that was the only exercise where it was over the head.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Actually there, Well, another thing I have got us to process. I'm very quite elderly and of recent if I've been down, when I stand up, it feels like a base for moving out of my spine and clicking back. It's not terribly painful, but it's very concerning.
Speaker 3: I would certainly get a good physio to have a look at that, just to make sure there's no sort of instability within the spine. I would get that checked out if I was your selling.
Speaker 2: Up, Okay, get that. Thank you for your call, Sally, And I think it's worth saying that, please don't take this advice, isn't it if you haven't exercised before, and you just don't go bursting into your gym and blow off and blow valve, get some good advice and supervision to ease yourself into it with me if yeah.
Speaker 3: So within the study, what they did is within the first month they started at body weight, So the first month of the eight months, they were not streatting to heavy thing. That was spending that time trying to figure out technique and what was the appropriate amount of load for them, So they weren't just ripping into it straight away, and they were very very cautious.
Speaker 2: That doesn't mean shoulder pressing your own body weight. It means doing a squat without any weight, correccept your own body correct. I don't know what they'd do with the old above the head thing, and what would that be? Something quite light anyway?
Speaker 3: Literally, just yeah, it doesn't need to be heavy.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's just check the time here. So many, so many questions on the text machine as well. But osteoporosis, what particularly well, ALA's Angela, You've got a question around what particular exercises?
Speaker 6: Oh, hi Angela here, Hi, Hey, I'm fifty four and I've been diagnosed with that osteopinia and I've recently had an infusion to help with own strengthening. I think you answered my question. I do a lot of cycling, but it seems like that's not a great solution for improving things. So I do have aches and pains with our writers, so lifting anything above my head's quite painful. But I'm thinking a standard of standing these school day is does that help.
Speaker 3: With respect to standing desks? The best piece of advice I can give anyone is try and vary it up as much as you possibly can. So try not to stand all day or sit all day if you have the option. Within that setup to change it. Recommendations are typically around changing every forty five minutes or so, which I realize could be logistically challenging, but that tends to be what they suggest as far as changing things up is concerned.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, so when I'm not standing, I'm on a swist, sitting on a Swiss ball. So yeah, so can you explain to me what a deadlift is?
Speaker 3: So deadlift, there's two different types of deadlift. There's a traditional deadlift and the crazy Eastern European version, which is called a Romanian deadlift. So it's when there's a weight on the ground or you're holding onto a bar for example, and it's basically like a hip hinge. The best way to describe it is like the Romanian deadlift is, in my opinion, the better of the two, and it's almost like you're bowing to the king, so it's a it's a hip hinge forward. You're just holding onto the weight with your arms, so gravity determines where the weights go and you're just literally hinging forward. So what it is doing is it's strengthening what we call your posterior chain, which is your hamstrings, your butt muscles, and your lower back muscles, okay.
Speaker 6: Very simple movement okay, And so you don't necessarily need to be lifting things above your head to get the improvement that okay.
Speaker 3: So there was that one exercise in the study, which was the overhead press. If you have shoulder issues, I would leave that out and just stick with your back squats and your deadlifts and some some plyimetric stuff which is why they did the chin up. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Perfect, Okay, thanks.
Speaker 2: We've got some spear lines. Now we'll be talking to Joe in just a moment. But got lots of text but if you want to give us a call, you want to jump the queue on a question for Greg around getting into the heavy weightlifting and as I say, heavyweightlifting, actually lots of questions. Actually one that relates to sort of vanity, how women sort of are worried about suddenly becoming or big and muscular and you might be surprised actually that that's possibly teaser alert? Is it a myth?
Speaker 4: I wait?
Speaker 2: One twenty one minutes to five news Talk said be Garmon man Favor and welcome back to the health up on the week in Collective on Tim Beverage, My guest is by a mechanist Greg Pain. He's by a mechanist to the stars, as I like to say. He might resist that description, but just just cap with that if you want to check out his work though BioSport dot co dot nz and he's got some articles that you can also read. I think there's some interesting guides on certain subjects.
Speaker 3: And I actually read a blog post on this lift more stuff, so there's more depth into it.
Speaker 2: Just quickly before we go to the cause the hesitancy. Some women may have who think that if they pick up a heavy weight too many times, it's going to turn them into Arnold's Swartzenegger.
Speaker 3: Correct, incorrect, incorrect. So what we know is that the rep counts, which is a number of times you perform the movement, determines how much strength or muscle mass or whether it's a strength endurance type of movement. So with the osteoproduct stuff, they're doing five repetitions only. That is not getting into the muscle hypertrophy zone. That is only in the strength zone. So you're building muscular strength near and muscular strength, but you're not putting on muscle mass, so you're not going to suddenly get big quads or big bulky shoulders.
Speaker 2: So, and it's generally determined by body type anyway.
Speaker 3: And there is a correlation between overall physical and musculosky little health and the amount of lean muscle mass that you have. Yeah, so lean, So it's worth putting on that mess. Get into it right, let's carry on, Joe.
Speaker 2: Hello, Yeah, hi guys.
Speaker 7: Some Genetically, I well, I've always been sort of relatively smarty as a young person and heavy, like anything like to do with heavy weight. It's like you're mentioning my aunt's become heavy, and like that's just i'd say, my genetic part. And so I've also got scoliosis, which doesn't really particularly help with walking, which is sort of.
Speaker 2: Is that Your question though, is how do you how do you deal with scoliosis with heavy lifting?
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, not so much the scoliosis, more as an as I say, genetically.
Speaker 3: Now, it's very half for me to comment on the everyone's an individual and so we can't use broad brush strokes for everyone. And this study was it did take some people out of the study because of their genetic predisposition. But I mean what we do know also, I mean I treat athletes that have got scoliotic issues, which is a side shift in your spine for those that don't understand. And there are still loads that you can do in order to try and slow down the scoliosis and still build strength.
Speaker 2: Yeap, okay, thanks for your cool Joe. Hang on a second, a quick text actually, then we'll keep rolling with the cause. What an awesome topic. I'm a runner, fifty seven, post menopausal and was diagnosed with osteoporosis about two years ago. Oh, it's just this. I saw Greg over a year ago as I tried to navigate my love for training, running and negoli injuries. Since being diagnosed with it's helping direction. I'm running super well, regular weight training. Did a ten km race today, ninth female overall and sixty out of four hund and fifty runners, and that's from quiti Ah. There you go, there's a there's an endorsement.
Speaker 8: There you go.
Speaker 3: I'm not even paying cuety for that. She was love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember to let you know you're awesome. So there you go.
Speaker 3: Thanks, I'll take that.
Speaker 2: Tell me take that.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good on here, Wayne, Hello, good afternoon, hall Wayne.
Speaker 8: Hello.
Speaker 4: Just stopped in my car.
Speaker 8: And about five minutes ago and heard the conversations going on, I thought, oh, wouldn't I just giving you a call and having a bit of a chat.
Speaker 2: Wayne, because we're going to cram in a few calls.
Speaker 8: But yeah, not a problem real quick. So yeah, late fifties, got diagnosed with OSIO process about four years ago. Used to do a lot of running and also boot camp exercises, and one of the exercises I used to do was dead loves. The ostia is pro suspecials that I saw. When he knew what I was doing, he goes, oh, so, what's the dead lift? And I explained it to it. I'll showed him what it was. He goes, oh, no, no, no, you coun't see that.
Speaker 3: This is a fairly new development all this sort of stuff and my.
Speaker 8: Interests and just wanted to follow off a little bit more on that.
Speaker 3: So this, this particular study has been pair reviewed and there has been a meta analysis that follows it which confirms the fact that this is a very effective tool.
Speaker 2: So yep, yeah, Hey, by the way, I'm just looking at a YouTube video. It's by buff Dudes, but it's quite serious on the Romanian dead lift. And once you get it going.
Speaker 3: You do you put it all the way to the ground, do you dearly. Yeah, So you're trying to keep a fairly stiff knee. You're trying to make the movement primarily about the hip joint as you So there's a.
Speaker 2: Bit of quiet in there, but it's mainly core and back and hamstring, hamstrings and button, which is.
Speaker 3: What what we know, the muscles that keep you upright versus falling forward.
Speaker 2: It's fair to say the guy who's doing this does have a reasonall degree muscle mass.
Speaker 3: Probably not a fair representation of the average.
Speaker 2: It's quite a serious channel. It's just got a cool name. Buff dudes. It was the first thing that came up with. Could have been worse, right, John, Hello, Yeah, Hey John, John.
Speaker 4: I'll wait twenty minutes.
Speaker 3: Sorry, John, We're busy, We're very busy. Oh yeah, how can I How can I help you? John?
Speaker 4: I've got riders from the knees.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: The best thing you can do with us riders around the knees is no, that's that's not where I would go. I would get you sitting on a bike, get get a go to the gym, or hire a little spin bike and sit on the bike and turn the pedals over and keep keep the joint lubricated and the muscle strong around the knee. That's absolutely the best.
Speaker 4: Thing a bike on the road.
Speaker 3: No, no, you just put the bike in your living room or in your garage or something like that and just turn the pedals over. Yeah, that's very effective.
Speaker 2: Good luck with that. John. By the way, you've been waiting eight minutes, so I think that for the award for exaggeration this afternoon goes to John. Round of applause. Thank you, John. Um, yes, some slightly. It retakes me a little bit that sort of stuff, but anyway, let's go and hello.
Speaker 7: Hello.
Speaker 9: I haven't been a whole lot of your program. I've only just called up with it recently, but I was wondering if we could help me. I had a couple of compression fractures to my lowest spine back in September. I ended up in hospital for nine days, mostly for pain relief, but found out at that time that I'm allergic to norfit morphine and I was very sick for a while. I've lost a couple of stone and weight and height. My question is I'm under a sec so I possibly can go and see a physio but I was wondering what the things I've got in my house at moment. I've got one of those pedal machine things, and I've also got a couple of well, I've got a you know, a little barbell thing that I could raise in my hand. But I was just wondering if you could suggest it, because you see, I have been so inactive for so many months, and I haven't been able to any exercises even if I had them, because it was too painful to move, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the thing is is that you can with these sorts of movements, they can be regressed to the point where they should be pain free. I mean, I appreciate what's happened with respect to your lower back, but I mean, even if you just get literally a couple of cans of baked beans and just start by hit pinging that way and just building confidence in the movement. And you know, as we've just discussed discussed with the buff dudes, there's plenty of education online. I would not recommend lifting anything heavy without supervision.
Speaker 2: Don't punish yourselves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we just start at really, really really basic levels, and you will notice if you do it with regularity, you will start to see positive changes.
Speaker 2: I think the thing is when people hear heavy weights that sort of there is this human tendency. We have to just want to get into it. But you have to be patient, absolutely, and please get some supervision or advice from if you've got concerns about your health, physio or whoever. Absolutely, yeah, well not whoever, actually from people who know what they're talking about. Hey, look, we'll take you back. We'll come back with we'll try and squeeze, Allison. And then we've got lots of texts as well, and it's nine minutes to five news talks by I'm a dumble shadow whist. There's a party down t B. This is the Weekend Collective of Health. We're going to try and squeeze another call, maybe if you text them. Some final remarks from Greek pain Bye mechanist around lifting heavyweights primarily as as a way of reversing your osteoporitic descent. I don't know, I've just made that up myself. Don't even if it came out the right way, but you know what I mean, dealing with the osteoporesis Allison.
Speaker 4: Hello, Hi, Hi, my call Hi Greg.
Speaker 6: And that's a question do you like if I go for a decent walk, was like a five kilo pack weight on?
Speaker 3: Would that give me the same benefit?
Speaker 6: Is going and pushing leg weights in the gym?
Speaker 3: Not the same benefit, but it will give you definite benefits because you are making contact with the ground. It's the fact that you are having you got the contact between your foot and the ground is helping to stimulate bone growth. The reason why the study was so effective was because it was so heavy. That meant that it was torsioning the bones, which meant that there was bone growth. The only thing I would be conscious of is if you're wearing a five kg pack, just make sure you can still stand nice and upright and you're not having to lean forward to try and maintain a nice upright posture. But absolutely keep on trucking with it.
Speaker 2: We're actually getting someone to film you while you're doing that, Allison, to be honest, because it's interesting to see your own posture.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't mean for the whole run.
Speaker 8: Or walk just no, no, no, it's just to walk.
Speaker 6: But I'll get my husband to do it next time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good stuff, Okay, thanks Allison. Look what remarks I think we needed to sort of just try and tie a little bow around this in about fifty seconds. But if people want to read that information about the lift more study, they can go to BioSport dot go to it enz. But how do we tie a little bow around this? Because I don't want people going in and going I'm going to become the champion of the world and blowing a fou foo.
Speaker 3: So one of the big things that they did state that this was supervised and there was a lot of time one to two months of these particular women building into it, so no one was going to the gym and ripping into it heavy. And they also realized that it takes time.
Speaker 2: So if you can get some advice from someone who's a trainer that a lot of the retirement villages that people who are physiotherapists attach them or whatever I mean, get some advice and get lifting. Good on you, hey, thanks great, great to have you in mate.
Speaker 3: That was solid gold highlight of the weekend for me. Thank you, Tim, I love it.
Speaker 1: And for me so do I.
Speaker 2: It's great. We look forward to next time. BioSport dot co dot nz back shortly. It is beautiful.
Speaker 7: It oh
Speaker 1: For more from the Weekend Collective listen live to news Talk said Be weekends from three pm, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio