Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from news Talk, SAIDB, debating all the issues and more. It's the panel on the Weekend Collective on news Talk, said B.
Speaker 2: Yes, in a very good afternoon to you. Hello, lovely to have your company. I'm Tim Beverage. This is the Weekend Collective for Saturday, the fifteenth of February. I did it again February. There's those two hours and always include the first hour as well. Anyway, I hope you had a good Valentine's Day yesterday. By the way, you can text your feedback anytime on nine two nine two or email Tim b at Newstalk SITB dot co dot nz. Coming up on today's show in just a moment, I introducing, as always, my esteemed panelists. After four o'clock. Looking a little bit further ahead to the one roof radio show, we have Helen Sullivan joining us. She's the CEO of real estate at Velocity Global. I mean to talk about the types of sale in a market that's a bit flat because you law you know, we've had auctioneers on the show saying, look, you've just got to pay the most money for it. But in a flatter market, is is there a way you can drive a bargain with your auction or your buying and selling tactics. This will be on the one rufradio show. One of my guests is actually thinking, gosh, I should be on that hour. Get me back for that. There's a slight clue as to who it might be. Anyway, and after five four the Parents Squad Dave Atkinson, he is the CEO of the Parenting Place, talking about the ways to build your child's resilience and when it comes to rules for parents, is explaining the rules to your kids? Is explaining losing? Because it is one of those wonderful memes people who explaining is losing. I never really knew what that meant. But anyway, and just before sex will talk with Elliott Smith to preview the Blues and the Chiefs. Welcome to the Weekend Collective. It's eight minutes past three, and time that is the time always means it's time to produce my steam panelists in no particular order, because sometimes I've done an age before beauty thing, but that line's getting a bit tired and so I don't know what I'll just keep moving. He is, well, he was actually champing at the bit there when I said what we'd be talking about for property, because that's sort of his gig. He's a real estate agent for Barfoot and Thompson. But he's also an entrepreneur, former restaurateur, and his name is Luke Dala. Look here you go.
Speaker 3: I'm great Tim as my son's twenty third birthday today, so I wish him a big birthday.
Speaker 2: Wish Max happy birthday. By the way, just quickly before we introduce my next guest, did you do do you do Valentine's Day?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I'm normally against it, but when you get up in the morning and your wife has left you a nice little gift with a lovely card Valentine's Day, I sort of thought. I said, look, yours is coming anyway, it's coming, so I had to succumb anyway. And also joining me, she is a media and screen guru Stalwarts perhaps, and also president of SPARTA, which is the she tell me what it is again, Produces Guild, Screen Producers Guild, and it is Irene Gardener. Hi, Ren, how are you hello there?
Speaker 4: I'm very well, thank you.
Speaker 2: Nice to see you. We were discussing before whether it's too late to stay happy New Year, and it is really because it is mid.
Speaker 4: February, I think it is. But the point was that I hadn't seen you yet.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right, and it's yeah, nice to see you anyway. Guys. Hey, by the way, just quickly, I mean, just get to get a preview for the one roof. You know, do you have are you sort of do you have opinions on tactics and bidding for properties?
Speaker 3: And still one hundred percent depending on the client and if they really want to win it, I take over the billing for them, really gives them confidence.
Speaker 2: Aren't you working for the seller?
Speaker 3: Well I am, because I'm trying to get as much as possible. This is a buyer, so you know, of course I'm trying to get the most most money for this for the vendor.
Speaker 2: That's going to be an interesting chat for But anyway, guess what, you can't talk about it now that you've had your chance, You've had your brief screenshot of your opinion. So let's get into it. Anyway. The first top cab off the rank is as I've just dropped my papers. Oh yeah, gosh, this one. So the bill introducing introduced by New Zealand first, which wants to have a referendum on fluoride, so they want to Winston Peters wants to put important public health measures like this, they want to He's playing the overreaching Wellington based bureaucrats card and says that people who oppose the bill are those that oppose democracy, and that these decisions around fluoride are a decision for each community in the form of their councils. I'll hold my opinion fire on that just for a second, but I'll start with you, Ireen.
Speaker 4: What do you reckon I'm not a great fan of referendums. They're actually I think the word is referender. But hey, let's not get all Grammary. The reason being that if they're about a specialist topic like health, medical science, and in fact even the Treaty of Waitangi, which you do need to have specialist historic knowledge and legal knowledge to do, I don't really think it's right that everybody votes on something where they just won't have the knowledge in the same way as you know, I mean, it's a silly example, but you know, you wouldn't expect people to vote on how to do brain surgery.
Speaker 2: No, but actually the yeah, and I think there is I think that Winston runs with the hairs enhuants with the hounds a bit on whether it's going to be the overall government having to say or your local community doesn't it.
Speaker 3: Luke Well, I'm all for the overall government looking after Florida and that sort of public health sector. And the reason is that just stops the red tape for all the small sort of city boroughs and so forth, councils and Floria.
Speaker 2: It's great for you to lenting tooths, okay exactly.
Speaker 3: And for our young young kids and our poor poverty kids, they need a backbone. And that's it in Florid and water.
Speaker 2: I mean, because there is the argument about I don't believe there's an argument about the science, but there will always be people who will want to have a crack at the science. But you look at christ it doesn't have fluoridation and it has the worst rates of child tooth decay in the country.
Speaker 4: I think the science is pretty pretty on the side of the Florid.
Speaker 2: I think we're the argument where people get confused is there's such a thing as too much of anything. And there are places in the world, such as in America, where the natural fluoride supply is so high, they reduce it. They don't eliminate it though. But here's the thing where I think Winston's been bit cute and well since he came into government, I've become much more of a fan because I probably had a fair amount of loathing for him in the way he politics. This is to me, this is campaigning Winston, who I don't like very much. But it is a strange argument to say let's throw the power back to your local communities, when in fact he is in central government and he would want the laws that he would pass to govern everyone. It's like saying let's throw it back to let's throw it back to each town as to how much tax you want to pay and when you get your super.
Speaker 4: Or if you're talking public health, you know, whether you're allowed to speed or wear a seatbelt. I mean, there's always things that some people don't like but that are for our good that it is up to the central government to mandate.
Speaker 2: I must have meatize. I'm always a bit nervous about these topics, only because you know, the fluoride thing is a bit of a you know.
Speaker 4: And look, if you really feel weird about it and don't want it. Just don't use the town water, you know, buy some water.
Speaker 2: I grew up in when where we didn't have fluoride in the water, and you have no teeth. No, my mum gave me a fluoride tablet to every morning. It was one of those most It's literally like eating a tiny piece of chalk. It was a tiny little pill and I never never thought a single thing about it until years and years later, I was like, you know, I knew what I was taking along with my with the fizzy, colorful malt. What was it? Plur of it vitamin? I love the plur of it.
Speaker 3: I've had our olkle water for quite a long time. I've only got one filling, so it works. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean look, and the other thing is as well, you shouldn't just rely on fluoridation. In fact, one of the.
Speaker 4: Things teeth you can do your teeth mess.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: No, actually, there was one interesting bit of information I thought it's worth passing on. That I was when I was reading about the christ Church kids and they're decay. But one of the experts in to dental health said that one of the biggest problems for us, not just adults, but kids as well, is that we don't have regular meals and leave it there. We are more grazing regularly, and we're constantly introducing bacteria to our teeth. Whereas it used to be, Hey, kids, when you have when you have your lunch at school, eat an apple to finish with and rinse your mouth out. Whereas if you're constantly grazing, and that apparently is a problem, and that was news to me. Grazing is not good for your teeth.
Speaker 3: I like that. I don't like to graze either. I got my two meals a day and that's my lot too. Yeah, what fasting? Are you fast fasting?
Speaker 2: I've always I keep on always having a slip of the tongue when I'm talking about intermittent fasting because I forget the yes sometimes and I'm wondering if intimate fasting leads to intimate farting. But anyway, so does that mean that you're having you're having an early dinner and breakfast or what? I don't need after seven? Yeah, and I don't eat before twelve. Wow, Okay, but.
Speaker 3: I have lots of water in between. Yeah, that's my lot.
Speaker 2: Excellent.
Speaker 3: Has it really worked?
Speaker 2: How long you've been learning for about four months. Oh wow, that's really actually you you do. I was thinking actually when you walked in and I thought you were looking pretty good there luk, So there you go. Anyway, let's move on to the other one. Now, this old chestnut, the potential for superannuation to me means tested, is one part of the conversation, but basically Finance Minister Nichola willis Is mentioned on news talks EB yesterday that the scheme for superannuation needs to be sustainable and a debate about age eligibility will need be needed eventually as well. People are saying raising the age makes sense. There are other people who are talking about me testing. It just seems to me to be one of those conversations. Irene that it's not going away. I do talk back all the time, and the number of times we've talked about this would be have to be two or three times a year. It pops up eventually, aren't we going to be making a change? Do you think?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a really tricky one because I kind of I can sort of see it from all angles and yeah, I mean it has to be sustainable and it's getting to the point where at some point, it may not be I think would I would probably lean less towards putting the age up and maybe more towards at least an element of means testing.
Speaker 2: That's an interesting one.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, to be fair, I'm relatively close to this, and so I'm voting against myself potentially here. But yeah, I sort of I think the danger of raising the ages. See, for someone like myself, who's you know, done desk type jobs, it would be no big deal to keep working. But you know, for a builder or a plumber who's wrecked their body, you can't really expect them to work past.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is the usually the argument that comes up, and I think I think that that's a question about what would be the hardest sell. And I would have thought, just based on the talkback experience I've had with this, that that argument about of course different occupations and all that. I mean, that applies to people probably before the age of sixty five. But the one that I've had the most pushback on is I don't care what they say means testing. I've paid my Bliman taxes, I've contributed to society, and if you've got a means test me again for this and when there are other ways you're going to have to pay for things like aged care facilities and stuff like that, that's going to take your money anyway.
Speaker 3: What do you think, Luke, I'm all about raising the age and definitely not means testing. And I think everyone's like, do pay the taxes, so we should get to a point where we're going to get something back. But my point is if you care, if you are rich or you know, or you can afford to give it back or say no or opt out to it to say look I don't need it, put it back into this, or gi it to a charity, or give it to another organization that may need it. But means testing to me is look, if paid my taxes, I've done with sixty five years work.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think we also forget the retirement age. It has gone up over the course of history because we're all living longer. You just look at and you look at people. I think there was a time, maybe when I was growing up, when somebody who was in their sixties or seventy that was like, oh, they're getting old. But I see people who it's like, I mean's line I use all the time. But sixties the new fifty fifties, the new forty forties, the new thirty you know. And I don't know if you saw the story last night about Christ's College and they had an old boy there who was one hundred and three, and it sounds like a joke when I said he didn't look at day over eighty. But he didn't look he looked amazing. Yeah, so that's the thing. We are living longer. So isn't it a natural consequence? We can't fight against that age growing up? Irene, I'll throw that back at you.
Speaker 4: Well, that is true, and so yeah, it's tricky. I mean, just pick up on Luke's point about you know, maybe you don't means test it, but you do it and more of it. You know, if you don't need it, do something, give it back or don't take it, or do something with it. It's funny because you know, I think about that and you know whether or not I'll need it, and whether.
Speaker 2: You'll need, whether you're need whether you need super on.
Speaker 4: I would want to give it to people of my choice rather than the governments, which is kind of weird.
Speaker 2: Well, no, no, I think that that's where you and Luked are on the same page because I know people who will never need super but if it's there, they're like, well, actually, if that's my entitlement, i'll take it. But you know what, I'll make a decision as to what I do with it. If I want to give it to hospice, I'll give it to hospice. Because there comes a point where you're old enough, you've done your time as a taxpayer as a contributor, where I think you should be able to say I'm going to give this money mighty, or to my grandkids help them buy their first house, or it's right in the first home and a depods on the first home.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, so good good luck having that conversation. I say, just quickly before we go to the break, I did want to touch on that. So that's a pretty heavy topic. But I find it a little bit depressing what's going on, at least when it comes to resolving the war in Ukraine that Trump has picked up the phone to putin so far as Zelensky has been put out of the loop, and it looks like there's going to be this policy of appeasement. Have you followed this much, Iran?
Speaker 4: Yes, it's sort of a bit of a sinking heart. Really, I just really feel for Zelenski.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does feel like they basically, I mean, maybe it is realistic that you can't exactly put the borders back to where they were. But Vladimir Putin is an evil bastard. Pardon my friend. He's not a very nice man.
Speaker 4: He's just doesn't seem right, you know. And yet so I suppose sometimes you have to be pragmatic.
Speaker 3: But I don't know, but saving lives, I mean, you can get on with it. At some point. It's going to be a war for a long time. That's why I see it, is that what's the better evil? You know?
Speaker 2: Well, I guess you know that Europe will certainly be feeling the pressure to be up in its defense spending stuff, because they've said, they've they've been talk about that it shouldn't be like a Minsk three. I think there were after previous agreements where they simply paused at hostilities and Putin just took it as an excuse to regroup and then attack again a few years later. And that's what I think we'd all be worried about, isn't that exactly?
Speaker 3: As long as Ukraine gets NATO, I'd be happy.
Speaker 2: Well, that's not going to happen. It doesn't sounds like it doesn't. It's not going to happen anyway. And I avoided talking about ARIFK when we're talking about fluoride. So we'll just leave that one and we'll come back in just a moment. This is the panel on news Talk z B. My guests are Luke Dello and Irene Gardner. It's coming out to twenty two past three. Yes, welcome back to news Talk said B. Yes that that that. I've requested a little bit of led Zeppelin this morning. I don't know why, but I just I always discover music very late, and I'm just getting into led Zeppelin again because it was the sort of music soundtrack when I was growing up. My brothers used to to pump it out, and it's also familiar, but I haven't normally had it as my normal playlist. But there's also my producer's infants favorite favorite stuff led Zeppelin, so she's raising him. Well anyway, welcome back to the panel. I my name's Tim beveradge At. Luke Dallo and Irene Gardner are my guests, and let's move on to Well, we're sticking with a political theme, but something that's slightly quirkier. No Mackers, no McDonald's for Queenstown. So the commissioners have declined to grant consent from McDonald's restaurant to open in won Aca. So it was going to be a four hundred and fifty five square meter restaurant with a drive through at the one Aca Luggett Highway below Mount Iron, and of the residents were up in arms about it. They were concerned about the visual and esthetic impact on the town, litter and all that sort of thing. So McDonald's for the time being is gon burger no pun intended, Actually no pun intended. Its just popped out like that, Luke, what do you reckon?
Speaker 3: What did you get over yourself? Absolutely get over yourself. Just imagine the uproar of a carngo or a six story building was built on that properly you want, I could just go beside itself. But no, McDonald's is more of a restaurant, you know. It provides job, supports community, and it's good to the community. It's environmentally responsible as well.
Speaker 2: It's just the customers are not environmentally responsible because I mean, we all have that image of the McDonald's wrapper blow across the street, mind, just only because it's so clearly labeled. You notice it.
Speaker 3: What's marketing, isn't it. It's marketing spent all that. But hey, there's a McDonald's and whistler, get over yourself.
Speaker 2: There's a McDonald's in Paris.
Speaker 3: Correct, So but should there be Well.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing I'll throw you. I think, Well, now, let's get your opinion and see where it goes before I shoot it down. But you I'm not sure what.
Speaker 5: Iren is going to say, But I'm ah, I'm sort of I think the problem is that the site they picked is probably the wrong site for it.
Speaker 4: And you have to kind of go you know, that area. It is a tourist area. It has a certain look and character. So I can kind of understand why. Because the site they picked is in a particularly impactful place, I can understand it. So I've got a little bit more sympathy than my friend Luke here. Yeah, however, I kind of think you could have a McDonald's there, but just in a different place, a little bit better controlled.
Speaker 2: Maybe, you know, well, I mean, you can also design buildings. It's like the one in Paris. You hardly know it's there. There's a tiny little Cyncers have rules in Paris about with signage, so there's no big building. Yeah, there's no massive sort of I mean, it's not just one mcnonald's in Paris. I'm sure there's more, but I saw one but almost didn't notice it. It's interesting they have Macaron's in the Paris McDonald's as well. In fact, they've got quite a few Paris well. Of course that's where the French fries come from, thank you very much. I look, here's here's the here's the thing. I think that it's too easy to go on McDonald's as if McDonald's is the villain and people go, oh, well, big Max, you know, they're not healthy and all that sort of stuff, when in fact McDonald's can easily say, as any restaurant can say, you can have the burger, or in fact, you actually can have a salad, you can have all sorts of healthy options if you want. But no one does that and that's the consumer's choice. But to me, you know, so one, okay, here we go. What have they got? Four vape stores? Good on them? And what the headlines were over the summer is that hundreds of teenagers like to congregate and punch each other's lights out, to the extent that three were not done conscious. I think, so that's all right, But heaven forbid we have McDonald's because we're not like those sluts in Queenstown who have every commercial business. It's I'm with you, get over yourselves.
Speaker 3: It's pathetic, absolutely, And I'll tell you one thing about McDonald's, you know, I've been in hospitality for twenty odd years, is that if I see a McDonald's employee in one of the cvs, I grab them. They have the best training and they really are a good company.
Speaker 2: Actually was Chris Luxon who had a job at his first job. His LinkedIn profile has all his jobs he's ever had, including being a bell hop or what's the one, a porter at the Crown Plas or something good at that And I think it wasn't McDonald's initially. But you know what I mean, is it too easy because any bigger I know what you mean.
Speaker 4: It's quite snobby because they do have other fast food outlets.
Speaker 2: Well, if you've got a fish and chip shop, way up the amount of saturated fact and a couple of pieces of fish and some chips pizza. Pizza. There you go.
Speaker 4: Now you maybe want pizze?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Oh, anyway, look, I know it's easy to beat up and want it. Can I do get their point of difference why they feel that that's how they identify because they have always been the sort of more even if it's shardenay drinking hippies, but they do have that sort of more hippish sort of life. We're the real mountain people. We've got a much more expansive view. Look at that terrible commercial place Queenstown. Oh, we don't go to Queenstown. That's a terrible place. And there is this attitudinal difference. I can understand where they're coming from, but you know, you get over yourself. Thanks for finishing my I realized that the word sluttie was quite a strong word, wasn't it. But I'm not using it in the province of commercial sort of and I apologize for that, by the way, just in case that rattle people's rattle people's jewelry a little bit too much. Now, this one, this is probably right up your up your sort of playing field here, Irene. With the government proposing to level the media playing field with five proposals, and it's basically helping local media compete, I guess with what's coming in from overseas and the international social media. So there's this Ministry of Culture and Heritage consultation document to modernize New Zealand's media legislation regulations. And this is the bit that I think I started to tune out straight away. Paul Goldsmith said, there continues to be a hunger and thirst in an appetite for local stories and local material and local news. And when I look at it the news, I see nothing but local stuff. In the world stuff is pushed to the back. But what do you make of this proposal? If you could flesh it out for us, maybe.
Speaker 4: It's a good document. Actually, my screen industry colleagues are really happy with it. It shows a really good understanding of the challenges that we've been facing and the proposals, and they are any proposals at the stage are good and sensible. I mean, most of the challenges that both journalism and local production are facing at the moment are because of international big tech. In local productions case, it's the streamers coming here paying no tax, contributing nothing, using our broadband, taking our viewers, and it's really hurt. We just can't earn the advertising revenue that we used to which supported.
Speaker 2: Do you think any of these? Is there one that stands out will make a difference.
Speaker 4: I'm just going to say there is one that is about that, and it is about regulating the streamers so that they contribute to local production. And we're in my Sparta president hat. We have been lobbying about that for probably about three years, so we were absolutely thrilled to see it included. And now it's just a case of working it out so that it works, doesn't have unintended consequences, and happens as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Speaker 2: I see there's a proposal there too. It does look practical. From ensuring smart TVs have New Zealand apps pre installed and displayed prominently. I go through the apps sometimes the app menu, look on my TV and go what other apps are there? Now, there's a bunch of things I don't recognize, and I don't think that's going to make That's not going to make a particular amount of difference.
Speaker 3: Is that No, it's not going to make any difference at all. But I'm all for local news and local productions of our culture. And so forth. More money should go into our locals, our arts and both the vocal arts. Like for you Tim a little bit of money.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure that I took the right boxes for that. We actually had it on that. Actually, the thing about funding the arts and film it is an awkward one because I don't think New Zealand is big enough for people, regardless of what sort of arts form you're in, to be able to take too much of your own risks. So I'm a bit conflicted with public money going into the arts because usually it ends up on the desk of CREWD of New Zealand and you've got someone doing, you know, getting thousands of dollars to do a performance where they're I don't know, singing whale songs to the accompany bit of a ukulele. Oh no, I'm making that up. But it sounds believable.
Speaker 4: That sounds quite nice, quite lovely. Could I just say at this point that screen is completely different because we actually are a four billion dollar industry for New Zealand, and yes a lot of that is international is working here, but you don't get that but without the domestic bit. So I just don't want screen lumped in there no. But to your arts comment, I think it's great that we fund the arts, but I think you have a fair point in what you're saying about. You know, is it a bit unfairly targeted so that someone like yourself historically.
Speaker 2: I'm not worried about. Now I've moved on.
Speaker 4: Here's a box of tissues categories, you know, And is that right?
Speaker 2: Well, that's why I support funding of the major bodies like the ballet and the and thea in the Court Theater and things like that in the opera and the something else music New Zealand.
Speaker 4: We wouldn't exist without our creative New Zealand and.
Speaker 2: So that's why I think. But I think you do it at that level and then the rest sorts itself out because those organizations are still generally trying to reach an audience, with the odd exception possibly from time to time. Anyway, let's move on, shall we to to? In fact, let's see what We'll move on to a break and come back in just a moment and see which of you two have fallen for the fraud, in my opinion, which is taking finerletprene to try and cure your cold, which is apparently completely useless and Johnson and Johnson being sued, and we'll see what you think about that. After the break. It's twenty four minutes to four and welcome back to the Week in Collective. This is the panel. My guests, Irene Gardner and Luke Dallo. Now, guys, this class action has been launched against Johnson and Johnson's because when they took pseudo effigerine off the counters, the pharmaceutical companies all put this product called fennilephrine in cold and flu medicine. It had the same branding, whether it branding, whether it be I don't know what the names were, quadrill or whatever, but anyway, they were marketed as a nasal decongestant. And I read this quite a while ago that they've actually ineffective, and I'd heard that from the GP Donkeys years ago. But they plugged the stuff and you're simply taking it the best. You'd say it was a placebo because apparently the when you take the drugs orally, they just don't work. So Bengo wasn't any surprise, but the fact that someone's sewing them, I thought, good on you. You have you your cold and flu meds and sort of taker Irene.
Speaker 4: I occasionally, I'm quite a hardy soul, and I don't actually get sick with colds churbably often famous.
Speaker 2: Last words, it's next work, next time, what happened to Irene and sick last time?
Speaker 4: But I didn't know this, and I was amazed when I read the list of products and that people have been because and I look, because I do. I do get cough syrup, because I do. When I do get a cold, I tend to get a very very bad cough. And so I looked at the cough syrups, thinking, oh my goodness, I'll have been being duped, because I was thinking maybe my cofser it was benad Or, but no, my COFs A it was Robotuss. And I checked the bathroom cupboard.
Speaker 2: Well that's that's all right, there'll probably be plenty of GPS going out. She's wasting her time with the with the cough stuff. I don't know, I don't I think it's whatever for help though, when.
Speaker 4: You're in the middle of the night you can't sleep because you're going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but a honey and lemon as well, whiskey and honey.
Speaker 3: Guy over the whiskin honey whiskin honey, nice and hot, you know, get it going gets nice and soothing down there. But throw the book at Johnson and Johnson are an eighty billion dollar company, turnover. Throw the book at them and had Can I actually get a refund on this because I've actually bought. I'm in the Consumer's Guarantees Act, you know, you can I actually get back because it didn't work?
Speaker 2: I actually don't know. To be honest, life's too short to worry about whether I bought that stuff. I think we had one packet, and I might have said to my wife that I shouldn't have mentioned the article said this, by the way, this stuff's useless even don't even bother with it. My biggest beak was that they took pseudo evergery off the shelves, which is vaguely effective or whatever, but because people were you know, ram rating and stealing it to make pea and all that sort of thing. But it seems that we don't hear so many stories about people because they're getting they're successful at importing it illegally, aren't They.
Speaker 4: Didn't act bring it back?
Speaker 2: I think, so, yeah, yeah, yeah, I was all for the old pseudo effort RNK. Anyway, look they do. Say, there's the law firm JG. A. Sadler's urging millions of New Zealanders who have purchased affected products to register their claim. I mean, how do you do that? Would they say, please provide your receipts or something.
Speaker 3: Or I don't know of it.
Speaker 2: Anyway, look good on them for taking action, making it a bit uncomfortable for the pharmaceutical companies on that score for sure. Hey, by the way, just on something a little bit more fun, did you guys follow the Dame Edna the Barry Humphreys auction because Mike Mike Costing a breakfast hoster, I shouldn't have to describe him as their breakfast host because, you know, I think people he actually had a few instructions to put a few bids on. I think quite a number of items things that maybe have gone would have maybe have gone for one thousand euro or five hundred or fifteen hundred. And I just caught it in passing, but I think he was talking about something that was supposed to be fifteen hundred euro went for ten thousand, and da As glasses one particular pair auction for thirty seven thousand, eight hundred euros you've really got one of the is that being brought because someone loves them or they think it's going to be worth more? What do you think, Luke?
Speaker 3: I just think someone's brought them because someone loves them. And what was my going to do with the glasses? Was going to wear them? Put?
Speaker 2: I don't think he was. I don't think he was in for the glasses. I think there was a there was a there was a cat. No, there was a cartoon. Because I think I heard Kate worrying about you know, it's all very nice, but she's quite glad he didn't win because she would have had that picture staring at her. I'm not sure it was you know, like a meter by a meter or something, but what.
Speaker 3: A great auction. I mean I was following it throughout the morning, and there was some stuff that, like I was, reserves were just like fIF like you say, fifteen hundred bucks and just went wimbar and always that money gone to the estate or to a charity or to.
Speaker 2: Actually I should know the answer for that, but it's not immediately apparent right now, but I think anyways, the sale, look how much the sale raised four four million, sorry, six hundred and twenty seven thousand pounds. Should I say pounds, I said europe pounds. Even more characters like Dame Edna. I mean, it is an amazing character when you think of he wasn't the only character of created. My favorite was Sir Les Patterson because he was just so outrageous. I remember he was a fictitious character. I read it was the dribbling and the salivating and revolting. I just remember the famous appearance on Parkinson where he has an appendage which were as part of his costume, which was ludely suggestive of someone being quite happy. And obviously you'd hear the audience and absolute fits as Les Patterson would have just whatever it was, and the camera would pan write and so there was no chance of something that they'd have to apologize for.
Speaker 3: Marge was my favorite.
Speaker 2: Oh who was famously born New Zealand. Wasn't he the New Zealand Bridesmaids or New Zealand bridesmaid?
Speaker 3: That's right? She was just a little whip doll, wouldn't she.
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think I saw an interview with her. How many years? Yes? Was she a while with him?
Speaker 4: For brilliant? I'm guessing the glasses that went for the huge amount, Probably the really iconic ones with the big wing tips.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I can.
Speaker 4: Kind of see why they would go for so much.
Speaker 2: I wonder how many people initially thought that day Maiden it was a real person, or did everyone know it was a joke.
Speaker 3: No, I thought it was a real person.
Speaker 2: You would have been five years old, correct, and probably you're a fair mark.
Speaker 4: I was a little bit older. And no, I never thought Dave Medna was a woman.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not sure, you know what. I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure I wasn't on the joke. But an amazing creation anyway.
Speaker 4: It always does make me laugh when people can get bent out of shape about the drag queens and you know, writing and reading in the library, and you kind of think, didn't you all grow up watching David Well.
Speaker 2: Actually, I think actually British humor has always been ahead of its time in terms of certain stereotypes which some people may have been uncomfortable with, but England seem to embrace them. You know that the the overly camp characters who were just nobody had it. This is before people were as open about acknowledging different sexualities. But British humour sort of built whole genres of humor based on camp, comedy and Loo and are you being served? I still remember mister Humphreys. Humphreys, I'm free anyway.
Speaker 3: Little Britain. That was another one. I'm the only gay in the town, in the village.
Speaker 2: In the village, I never watched Little Britain.
Speaker 3: Actually watch it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna have to go watch some some old Barry Humphrey stuff. At some stage, I think, look, we're going to say quick break, we'll come back. This is the panel on news Talk said be Weekend Collective. My guests are Luke Dalo and Iren Garner on tim Beverage. Will be back in just a tick their teen minutes to four. Yes, welcome back to the Weekend Collective. My panelists to Luke Dallo and Irene Gardner. Now this isn't a quirky little story, guys. So a guy who has got a ticket under his windscreen wiper of his not that it's relevant, his tired highluks and obviously he was trying to keep a large ute out of people's way. So he parked two wheels on the boom outside his house, something he'd done for four years with no trouble and got a fine. He got a four forty dollar fine for it. It does seem does seem a little peculiar, even though I don't know is the reason. I would have thought, if you're parking with a couple of wheels on the boom, simply you're doing your bit to try and be less absor deructive to the traffic on the road. I'll throw this to you iren first, because yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Think if it's the bit of burm that's by your house and you're parked considerately, I would have no issue with that. And I think it is a bit strange that he got this fine. But then it's hard to know with these things, because there is some talk that they'd sort of tried to talk to him about it, and I don't know, maybe he wasn't one hundred percent cooperative, so there might be like a cup besides.
Speaker 3: To this one.
Speaker 2: It's not like getting in the way of council mowing services, aren't you, because we're going to mow our own burms, which I still feel slightly strange about considering this some beautiful berms, and there are others that have been turned into vegetable.
Speaker 4: I mean, you can sort of see why they have the rule, because you wouldn't want just randomly everybody parking on the boom, would you. But she feels like one of those rules where this should be just a little bit of latitude.
Speaker 2: It is a funny one, isn't. Because you can all imagine there are big times where you go, there's plenty of room on the street, just park on the street. And then you'd be someone who decides to park three cars on the berm, and I'd imagine going, well, hang on, it's not really a parking spot, you know what I mean. We can all imagine unreasonable, Babe, you can't. We look, but I'm you look like you're champing at the bit for this one.
Speaker 3: I just think, hey, look, I look after my boom. That is my boom. Yeah, I'll park on it a lot, as long as it's clear from pedestrians, as long as it's safe. I'll pack my truck on the boom all the time.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right, somebody, If you park in someone's driveway but you leave the footpath free, they can still ticket you for that.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 2: They've been clamping down and there was a story about this a week or two ago. I think wasn't it heap to me?
Speaker 3: Actually?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 3: So? I was packed in my own driveway and they gave me a ticket wrong, and it's like going into my house.
Speaker 2: Well, you weren't obstructing the footpath, No, I think.
Speaker 4: If you pass, if you pack yourself in and you don't fit the footpath, that seems crazy to me. But I know technically they can tick at you.
Speaker 3: But just looking for money, aren't they.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, how insufferable did you scoot?
Speaker 4: No use the way Way Express also known as my legs?
Speaker 1: Well done?
Speaker 3: Oh that's right.
Speaker 2: You just down the hell, aren't you. Yeah, I would be impressed if you'd come from re mirror or something. Why not lovely? Well it was a little bit, hey, just on the bureaucracy. I did love this story. It's not like it's a contentious story or anything. But for years there were officials in the Czech Republic had been pushing a damn project to protect a river south of Prague. So they wanted to damn it so they could protect some critically endangered species, and they kept it, kept on getting dragged out. It was ham strung by land negotiations, and then they left it so long that actually a group of beavers made a damn for them and actually built the dam themselves, and they weren't even in on the process. And I just love the fact. One I love beavers, and it's it's just the idea of I mean, they I wonder if we should introduce them here to build a few dams. But it's a great story, isn't.
Speaker 3: It, Luke. I think it's perfect example of just getting stuff getting stuff done. You know, the beavers know what they're doing, take lessons from the Beaver's Auckland City and the government, and they're just taking action on and adapt into the environment. And do you just imagine, like you said before their tim what if we introduced beavers here and the.
Speaker 2: Accidentally fell. But actually, one, I think beavers are amazing animals. It blows me away that without you know, what they can construct in their environment. And if you go inside a beaver's damn, as I've watched on wildlife documentaries, that's the scale of some of these things, and just that nature did it. But they are so cute. You are you a found of beaver? Lovely?
Speaker 4: But I don't think we can certainly just import a whole lot of beavers to New Zealand.
Speaker 2: But maybe we should. We could import them where there's too many pine trees sort of in the wrong place, the wilding pines. Just release some beavers.
Speaker 3: What they get the fluorid from?
Speaker 4: Oh goodness, do you think do you think we could train up the possums to do something useful?
Speaker 2: We should just train possums to find someone who's hunting and stand in front of them and go shoot me, and that would be the best thing.
Speaker 3: Put blocks for trucks.
Speaker 2: Anyway, But it's a great story. In fact, it makes me want to go and track down some wildlife documentaries and just watch the process of beaver's building a dam because it is quite phenomenal. Anyway. So anyway, Hey, by the way, how's the property market going for you, Luke.
Speaker 3: No, it's great, it's going really good. Actually, it's really lifted up this year, definitely from last more inquiry. Yeah, we're onto it now. So the property market is definitely coming back.
Speaker 2: So I guess for you, you just want to see properties being exchanged. You're not so much worried about whether it's going to grow or not, because I'm a little bit pessimistic about it.
Speaker 3: But exactly all you want is turnover, and we're not getting the higher prices or back of the twenty twenties, But we just want turnover and confidence in the market that they can put the house in the market and sell it.
Speaker 2: That's what we want and what's keeping you out our mischief at the moment irene with the screen production and all that sort of thing.
Speaker 4: We just talked about it, really because that's been our big lobbying point, has been regulating the streamers. But can I talk about something completely different?
Speaker 2: Yes, just quickly, we've got one minute before say goodbye.
Speaker 4: I played Zepp song before, and I'm not a big lead Zep fan, but I absolutely love that intro to that song. But have you seen on YouTube the little thing that someone's made of the dancing kittens with little Viking helmets on dancing.
Speaker 2: No, I've missed that one.
Speaker 4: You must look it out on YouTube. It is the funniest thing, the little Viking.
Speaker 2: I just remembered that I was listening to something. I can't mean what. It was a whole lot of love or something, and there's an instrumental, but there was you might remember the young ones and oh I haven't got time. Oh my godness, I thought wait a minute to go, but I have to save that for next time. I wonder if radio sho Helena Sullivan is next. News talk z EDB.
Speaker 1: For more from the weekend collective, listen live to news talk z EDB weekends from three pm, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio