Speaker 1: Locking inside, therefore getting you closer to the game you love. With Nadeen Wilson, Anna Stanley and Jenny Woods sow it By News Talks, a'd.
Speaker 2: Be gutta and welcome to Inside Nipple, our full crew on board today to review round one, preview Round two, and chat with Stars coach Timmy Patter Bailey Jin.
Speaker 3: You had the weekend of resting your new eyes.
Speaker 4: My new eyes, I can see everything.
Speaker 2: Well, what did you see from the couch? What was your key observation from round one?
Speaker 4: I think my key observation was fitness. All the players except sadly for the Stars three were fit and the one that exemplified it Karen Berger in the warm up going backwards and fords but and not breaking a She was doing the interview with Leslie Murdoch not even hesitating. I thought that was super impressive.
Speaker 2: And you were back on the mic covering the my six Stars game, not the start new coach Timmy Putter, baby was after decimated with injuries, three going down in the match. Yeah, that was just heart renting to watch. So disappointed for Bubby. But I think if any player, former player that is now a coach can can rally this side together.
Speaker 4: It's here and Leana.
Speaker 2: She knows what injuries can do and how it can really garner a team together. So let's hope the injuries aren't so bad. We're going to check to her later on. But also for the Mystics, I was very impressed with Danelle Wallam.
Speaker 3: You know, she's replaced Grace and Wiki.
Speaker 2: I think she will be doing a fair job at the back there with Toyava. So it was a great start for the Mystics. Yeah, disappointed with the Stars, but let's hope they can pull together for a round two. Yeah, tough start for the new coaching duror of Leanna and Timmy Putter. Yet, despite the busy week ahead, Bubby has kindly agreed to speak with us and talk us through the coaching trials and tribulations.
Speaker 1: The Inside Netball Podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome Bubby. So great that you could join us. Not the easiest of starts, though. It must have put it on the heart string seeing three of your players go down with injury.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 6: If I knew that was going to happen, maybe I wouldn't have taken the wrong Yeah, it was really disheartening actually, Like first, obviously Grea and then Katie and then Charlie at the end, so very disheartening, but as always the girls kind of just soldiered on and did the best that they could where her players pay out of position and looked down the bench one part and there was only Leana and Mitchell how and the coaches. So yeah, no, it was definitely an introduction to head coaching.
Speaker 2: In the Yangs and I guess people will will be wanting to know Bobby what the injury update or status is of those players and perhaps replacement player moving forward to round two.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so Katie has got a little tear in her planter Fasha, so she's probably well, I'm not sure when terms to the front time frame, but not that long because it heals itself. Apparently we're just waiting for confirmation around Grea, hoping it's positive. But as we saw when she foul, it didn't look that good. And you got Annie Uspisher, you you'll know that kind of stuff. I don't want to say it just in case it thinks if it's not, and then we're lucky with Charlie so she'll be all good for the weekend. She rolled her ankle and rolling her ankle I think her calf cramped from.
Speaker 5: The role and try to save it.
Speaker 6: Apparently that's what the physio said, so she she'll be good to go on Sunday.
Speaker 5: So just wanting for Grea and then in the meantime, we're Ma's Kayla Cullen to join us.
Speaker 2: Yes, she's stolen her from my Swish team. I would have we would have.
Speaker 3: Won last night with her. So you're in my bad books, Bobby.
Speaker 6: Well, if and when and hoping we'll win on Sunday, Danny, would that be enough?
Speaker 3: Maybe?
Speaker 2: Did only if you lead her come back for Tuesday normal fitness on Tuesday nights please.
Speaker 3: Bobby? Sometimes?
Speaker 4: Oh sorry, you continue. Sometimes adversity, you know, can bring a team closer together. How have the players got together and sorted it out?
Speaker 5: Oh? Yeah, really good.
Speaker 6: I don't I watched the game back and I saw just you know, off play there they were just like grabbing each other's hands and squeezing them and it definitely does bring them a lot tighter, and you're coming in and like getting them to My was really good at leading that space.
Speaker 5: In terms of you know, we've just got one thing to concentrate when we're on there.
Speaker 6: We're playing for our players off the court. Obviously once a game had finished, there are a lot of tears. I think a lot of emotion going around.
Speaker 5: And then it's the ability to.
Speaker 6: Deal with it and move on because we've got a season to go, and yeah, we use that as probably fire.
Speaker 5: And you know, enticement to do better again for them, for our.
Speaker 2: Players aside from those injuries, which has been a really tough start for you. How have you enjoyed we've been back home and having this new head coach role.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think initially Diana, I was like, what am I doing when you're getting off the plane? It was raining coming from the Gold Post and obviously not having contact with our players.
Speaker 5: Until one of the new year. But now it's yeah, it's awesome.
Speaker 6: Love being in amongst the team environment, as you guys know, love that team environment, but also having family. All the grand kids are here and spending time with them all together, and obviously Dina as well because and Aaron's back at the same time, so having that family kind of connection there as well as been.
Speaker 2: Some Oh yes, we've been watching Aaron. He's doing very well with the Warriors. You spent a few years with the Gold Coast Titans, Bubby. When you look back, how much influences that had now on your coaching here in New Zealand would have been your biggest takeaways with your time in Australia.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think probably that was the best decision for me to move over there.
Speaker 6: I think I kind of went over there at the time before I left, Sorry, when I was here. I finally I think it was just going through the motion, so you know, I was Keay coach for the comments, and then doing some assistant stuff with the Stars and then just really really starting that high performance coaching space. Going over to Gold Coast. There was you know, there's no expectation. I think I was allowed to just do what I do and create a pathway in the Gold Coast for girls and boys going through it, but also.
Speaker 5: Get the opportunity to coach. And I think having that wide variety of opportunity and creating an environment from scratch was an awesome experience.
Speaker 6: Obviously learned a lot. I think the biggest takeouts from there. It's definitely made me understand that I can coach and I am Timmy Para.
Speaker 5: Because people used to me as Timmy Park who coached.
Speaker 6: And was a former former athlete, tim myfi the former athlete who coached, And now I can whole hardly say that I am Tim Emperor, the coach who was a former athlete.
Speaker 5: So it's giving me as the confidence and belief that you know, I'm.
Speaker 6: Not the same as other coaches, but I do believe in what I do. And making sure you're having the right people is a massive thing that I've learned.
Speaker 4: How far do your aspirations go? I mean, are we going to see you Timmy para silver Firm coach one day? Well?
Speaker 6: Gun, you know, as a player, you always want to be a Silver Pard and I think and it probably past two or three years, you kind of think of what's next, and you're obviously A and Z or you know, in the top level head coaching, you've got to do your time.
Speaker 5: It's like when we used to say as a player, you got to do your time.
Speaker 6: On the bench to actually appreciate the time in the game. So I that's what I'm doing. You know, obviously, if an opportunity comes up, I'll put my hand up, and I think that's an experience you've got to go through as well in terms of that. And if it's no at the other end. Then you just keep going. You know, you're very fortunate to be in a position to create an environment for girls to you're not only be the best on court, but also off the court. So I'm really enjoying it. I'm really enjoying it.
Speaker 2: What about the new rules, how are you enjoying those? And tactically what's the best way to use those timeouts? When should you be taking those two point shots? You know, what's your take on the on the tactics of these new rules?
Speaker 5: Yeah, the timeouts.
Speaker 6: Timeouts are interesting because they're really good to have, and we played those last year in the Gold Coast Queens and competition, and they're really good if you're you kind of have had a run on you for five or you know, you just need a timeout to get everyone to settle and then to regroup and go out.
Speaker 5: I haven't actually now those.
Speaker 6: You're trying all different scenarios for this grip, but I don't think i've now them. I think we used the two time mounts in the last game because we needed to emotionally reset and come together as a group because of what was happening. The two point shot I just depends, like I think, for our shooters. We just say to like, we do have a structure in terms of when you're going to go and when you're going to actually take the one point shot, but other than that, it's just about feel and if they're feeling like they're hot, then you go for it.
Speaker 5: And I think you saw in the last five minutes of.
Speaker 6: The last quarter we were just like, just have a go because we were down by about fifteen by that stage, and we probably wouldn't do that if we were a lot closer, we would you know, aim for the ones and try and get the ball back and go again. So yeah, so probably different circumstances, schools for different strategies. Just as long as we've got those strategies.
Speaker 2: Well, you were hot in the first quarter. I don't think that was missing.
Speaker 5: It's like, yeah, let's yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, you didn't use the coaches box though, did you. I didn't see out there strutting your stuff.
Speaker 6: I did, actually, but it was that it must have been when it was down the other court because the defenders needed some instructions about driving the ball down.
Speaker 5: I was going to get up there and go, okay, come here.
Speaker 2: You talk about now you feel like you've got that confidence to be timmy part of the coach. What do you think your strengths are, because I guess moving forward the adversity that you've started with with all these injuries, how much of a strength do you think it is the fact that you know you've been a former player, Leanne has been a former player to actually get these players through this difficult time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that's it.
Speaker 6: Any I think being a former playing and being an environment where you're.
Speaker 5: Just with the players.
Speaker 6: You know, when you're a player, you have all these conversations and you kind of understand where they're coming from and the behaviors that they're showing coming out of an experience like that. I think that's the big thing. And I think too, I like to be someone that has an open door policy and that they can come to me and just start turn away and listen, listen to what they're actually talking about and understand them. Yeah, and I'd like to have a bit of fun as well, you know, when they're.
Speaker 3: I must have met though, and all the time outs.
Speaker 2: I thought what you were saying to your girls was very clear, very concise. You had great clarity. I thought you were awesome Bubby to listen to.
Speaker 3: It, Sandy, Yeah, you're doing.
Speaker 6: A great Oh, thank you, I think, And that's I think that's the joy of having some amazing coaches and not so amazing coaches. I think both both of them, like they're amazing and not so Amini has actually offered me something in my coaching space.
Speaker 5: And I know, as a player, when you kind of get waffle or keep going, it doesn't really mean much.
Speaker 4: Who who was one of the better coaches that you've had.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've had a couple, I think, and just in terms of where I was in my career or my pathway as a player, I think initially before twenty ones of Jen London and then Avon and then obviously going into Debt Buller, who's just thinks outside this.
Speaker 5: We're sometimes out the gate, which is worsome.
Speaker 6: And then obviously in the Boon space I had the opportunity with obviously Ruth White.
Speaker 5: And also Lynn Gunsoon. She was like that was at the end of my career.
Speaker 6: But just little things like the release point of the ball, kind of going over the Jamaicans, you.
Speaker 5: Know, and stuff that.
Speaker 6: Well, when you're I don't know how it was, but towards the end you think you thought you kind.
Speaker 5: Of knew everything, but you died and then she brings that parlor. So yeah, so I was very lucky, very lucky.
Speaker 2: We won't hold you up too long. We'll get to our fast five in a second. But one last question. We had our predictions last week about who were the teens we thought perhaps would make the top three at the end of the season.
Speaker 4: Who's you know?
Speaker 3: Yea, so glad to hear you listen though, well done you.
Speaker 2: But if you were going to choose a team, who's looking most dangerous after watching that first round, just we won't make your name all three, But which team and why scares you the most?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I think after watching the teams in the round, I think pols are like standouts.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think with the amount of changing that they had to have had all players out preseason, they kind of look like it's like just ran smoothly right throughout. And the connections they have on defense and the belief they have in each other, I think they're probably a stand up for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we will want to redo our picks now. Yes, we both had pulses. We didn't you didn't.
Speaker 1: Insideball powered by News Talks that'd be inside Nipbull's Fast.
Speaker 3: Five kick things off.
Speaker 2: And if you could compete in any other sport, and this can be back in the day or now, what would it be and why?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I think I would have loved to rug the semonsd just that the creativity I mean, obviously I would have liked fitness, like because you know what I don't like fitness The creativity that they have in that game.
Speaker 5: And they also get to trouble to some really cool places as well.
Speaker 2: You would have been good on the tackle, tough on the tackle too, Bubby, Who in your Stars team is most likely to A get you into trouble and then b get you out of trouble? So who would get you into trouble? In the Stars side?
Speaker 5: Who would get me into trouble? Probably?
Speaker 3: You would get everyone in trouble. You can't forgive anyone because it's you. And therefore, who would get you get you out of trouble? Bubbs?
Speaker 5: Who would get me out of trouble? Oh gosh, who.
Speaker 3: Would get Probably?
Speaker 5: Yes she would, though.
Speaker 3: She has a bit sneaky.
Speaker 4: Okay, So who which three athletes would you invite to dinner? Dead or alive? Any sport?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: Watch three athletes. Oh, I think I remember what I said in this.
Speaker 6: I would have loved to like sit down with Lisa Carrington and have a conversation with her.
Speaker 5: Who else would that be? Tiny Jemison?
Speaker 6: Actually, I would have loved to have a conversation with her, just with regards to.
Speaker 5: What was and how it will happen. Obviously there's been meta about what it was.
Speaker 6: Like, but really like understanding like her trips over where if she went and stuff, so Tiny Jemison. And then a coach I'd love to have a conversation with is Wayne Bennett. You know, he's been around for so long and just have done some amazing things. But the way he gets boys up to.
Speaker 5: The game is just amazing.
Speaker 6: And even the troublesome ones he probably would have been the good for me, aren't they?
Speaker 5: What would be?
Speaker 3: What would be your last supper meal?
Speaker 2: And please no disrespect to Patina Simon, please don't let it be Taco Bell again, Each to their own bad there was one last meal you're having on earth?
Speaker 3: What would it be? What's he go to?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I would I would have my mum's snitchell yum yum yum.
Speaker 2: And last one best piece of advice anyone has given you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think the best piece of advice was Sandra Edge was my kind of idol coming through and I got the opportunity to play with her at club and I said to Jen London, who was my coach, I said, oh my god, I just want to be with her, be like her.
Speaker 5: Sorry, I'll be with you.
Speaker 4: Like her.
Speaker 5: That's not a new phase of my life.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I just want to be like her. And she goes, she set me down, and she goes, why don't you be like someone who wants to be like you? So why don't you be the person someone else wants to be? And I got, yeah, that makes sense. I'll just steal all loose trade and try to do them myself, and then we'll have other people being a role model for other people. So I think that's probably the biggest advice I've got. And I was pretty young and you gave that to me as well.
Speaker 3: You're getting deep in your old age.
Speaker 4: Very wide.
Speaker 6: The girls welcomed us and when we first came and we had the coaches, they.
Speaker 5: Sung a song. I was crying.
Speaker 6: Said, oh yeah, no, crying's good because when we cried with the silver ferns we want.
Speaker 2: Love it, love it and love it that you've made the time to join us and chat on Inside Netball. All the best for Sunday's match against the Technics. Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Thanks so.
Speaker 5: It's a pleasure to seeing your guys and spending time with you guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah awesome, See you later. Bye.
Speaker 1: Insideball powered by News Talks that Be.
Speaker 2: How mature as Timmy Putter Bailey, Oh man, she has come back.
Speaker 4: I don't know what they did to her over there, but a different person and I mean my little heart was singing when she was implying that she'd put a hand up for the silver Fern's job.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just love the fact that she's at a stage of her life now where she says that she is Timmy Parter Bailey the coach, not the player and pressed.
Speaker 3: Evolving and you know, good on here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was awesome, awesome to hear. Look, before we get into round two and the match that the Stars are going to be playing against the Tactics, let's cast our minds back over the weekend and have a look at those results. The first game, it was the Pulse versus the Magic on Saturday Parmestan North, the Pulse against all of our predictions, came away with the win fifty seven forty four.
Speaker 3: But to be fair, jin we were led down the garden.
Speaker 2: Path and we were under the impression that the Pulse would not have their full strength squad.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, But then I think, well, how much should we read into it? But here's a thing. You can't put out a usually stated May the first ahead of a game on May the tenth and think that it would bear any resemblance to what's going out. But the Pulse were I can't think of an area where they were you know, no good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were superb because they had Meddi, Gordon and Whitney sooner is running that engine room in the middle and where you had all predicted that they weren't going to be playing. So yes, I think we all picked the Magic to win that one.
Speaker 3: Magic for me just a little disjointed.
Speaker 2: I think if you look at the stats, the Magic and the Steal Out of the two teams put up the most two point shots, Magic had the one of the lowest stats with the two point shots. So I think strategy wise, round two for the Magic it will be to get more one point shots in because I think they got it in the goal circle, so I think they will get better.
Speaker 4: Well, I think Savior too. He just got played out of the game by Kelly Jackson. You know, she was taken off and given a bit of a talking to and then came back. So look, let's hope things improve for the Magic.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I really enjoyed was Ahmadrangi Mulliseller coming on and she would play those last five.
Speaker 3: Minutes in each game, and I love the hype that she brought.
Speaker 2: You know, again, I keep comparing things Surpass well, normally if you get a long shot, you know you kind of signal I got a three. She was right in there amongst it with her two, and I love I love that character. It really added to the game for me. And how fitting was it though that the first person to shoot the super shot in this competition Emilia and Econasio Jet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, bit of a nightmare in other ways, but oh, I mean she's who was The commentator was just you know, lauding all over her. But the style of the shot, the height and the down and the it's beautiful. But I just wonder what else The Magic would have been working on this week, because I think they've got a lot to work on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she was the most accurate echinasio seventy one point four percent. You look at a lot of those two point shots. Most of them were missed. But that's where the magic will keep getting better because they've got Ecnasi on their team. Let's talk about the suspension you Annie, how unlucky is this player being she must have the most suspensions of any player in this league who's along with Alia Dunn's I thought were.
Speaker 3: Actually quite ready rough. They were rough. G you screen your face up. Tell me why?
Speaker 4: Well you know, okay, y, I don't you know, couldn't really tell. But the Done one, I replayed it and replayed it and replayed it. There was light between Done and the tactics defender. So you know, I just think perhaps the umpires just have to pull back a little bit.
Speaker 2: I think so they have to confer as well, because they talked about that, and I saw one of the stories they did about actually speaking more to each other and actually appealing to the other umpire. Should that almost be compulsory on a suspension, that you have to appeal to the other umpire and confer on a suspension? Was the angle we got with was the televised angle right called it was the other side, and so it potentially would have looked worse. So when you did replay it, Berger got the intercept. She had two hands on the ball and done looked like she kind of moved her upper body to get away from from Burger, but she didn't move her feet, and so that's where she would have got pulled because you have to give the play a landing room.
Speaker 3: Right, a stretch, it's still a stretch.
Speaker 4: Should not have been suspense, No, I mean talking to Leslie Murdoch afterwards, she was mystified and there was a lot of questions being going to be answered. I think, and I think they should earn. If they're going to ear they should earn on the on the side of caution, not blow anything.
Speaker 2: Well, let's jump ahead to that match. It was the Tactics versus the Stair. It was on Sunday. It was the last match of around fifty seven fifty to the Tactics. It was the inaugural Hutton Family Trophy. I thought that was awesome, a memory of the late Kelly Hutton who passed away in twenty twenty three from ovarian cancer. So that was exceptionally special. Kate Heaven and another one though she was ruled out injury late. And then we saw the return of Leanda Liota and she got caught time gen.
Speaker 3: Yes, well I think of that.
Speaker 4: I just I'm sorry, and I mean I love Leanna Liota, but she's a coach now. And you know, it was interesting just listening to what Timmy Potter was just saying, you're a coach, You're not a player. You're playing. Days are done. You can't tell me that they haven't got players that they could have put on. You would have. I mean, they wouldn't necessarily have been as good, But I just I don't particularly like this place where old players come on. And I say, old ex players come on. Forty yeah, forty playing wing attack five kids. She did pretty good when she came on, but I think Kate was a very late scratching. But still you could find a player as opposed to a coach. I was actually quite impressed with the Steel. I did not think they would get within seven of the tactics.
Speaker 3: There's only one going into the last quarter.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, I was glued.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think, yeah, with obviously POI and done and they're both from the Tactics. They've had the relationship from the Tactics last year. I think that was really a good, good connection. And then of course I thought Stife picked up some good ball down the defense end, which I think could be a good could be a good season for her, you know, just bring out some experience at the back and leadership for her. And Karis Stife actually made our goalkeep Team of the Week that we're now introducing. To make sure you check out News Talk zb Socials on Facebook and Instagram. Join the debate. See who we've put up for our team of the week. There's we hint.
Speaker 3: Karis Stife was our goalkeep.
Speaker 2: There was no Stars in that team, unfortunately, but there was players representing from all the other matches. Then if we skip back again, Mystic Stars, Annie, you were on this one. It was the Mystics that came away with the win seventy one to fifty five, completely hampered by those injuries. But Meila Rulu Buchanan, she was back. She was on manage minutes, but she was looking good.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was getting a bit nervous when they did turn to the bench when they had no one else because she's on return to play protocols as well, but she'll be a strength in that mid court. I was really impressed with Charlie bow. She put up some good ball, I think thirty nine from forty one or something. Her steps were very good, big tall shooter at the back, and I've never been a massive fan of Mya Wilson at goal attack, but you know what she actually did all right, Maybe I'm like swinging to that she could actually play there the odd time. I mean, she did have some time on the bench to have a little rest and then she came back on. I just think perhaps defensively they still haven't quite nailed it. But obviously with Kate going down and then Grea, that was just yeah's heart ranging.
Speaker 4: For heartbreaking here. I well, Adean and I went down to that game, and yes we were fans in the crowd, and when we arrived, we were a bit late and the stars were up, you know, and I thought, oh no, this is not what I expected. But sitting where I was sitting at the end of the court, I was able to the sheer magic of Petter Oh. I mean, because you're watching it as a commentator, but you're only going where the camera's going you know, you're following, not just going.
Speaker 3: All off the ball stuff.
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness me and she is a magician, and I just thought, wow, wow.
Speaker 3: And it was a bit squeaky today if you leave the jacket. Last week it was doors and the toilet.
Speaker 4: This week, I'll take it off.
Speaker 2: The big test for the mystics was going to be, you know, that whole connection with Wallom and toy Ava, and it was very seamless. It looked like they've been playing together for a long time. I mean, at one time, I think the comment the cameras were on Peter and Tea was saying something and it was just like Peter looked pretty grumpy, and it was just like, oh, you would not want to get on the wrong side of Peter Toyava. She shot fifty two from fifty seven, the prolific shooter in that round. We also saw a whole lot of two point shots, but only in the first quarter and then it went quiet.
Speaker 3: So you know, we actually we actually had a caller or a listener, not a caller. That would be good if we could take a life all a bit of a talk back, but we had a listener. Katiev, thank you. Very much.
Speaker 2: She actually brought a conungrum to our attention. In the English Super League, there was a controversy around the two point shot. It was the Leads Rhinos versus the Panthers. The Rhinos super shot should have been two points. It was only counted as one and this is what we may see in our competition at some point and meant they went into extra time and ended up losing in extra time. Rhinos are now calling for a VAR system, So a replay system, Jen, what do you think of that. I know we've had a lot of innovations already. It could slow things down even further.
Speaker 4: Exactly, and that's why that's the only reason I'm not keen on this VAR. And in fact, the shooter was Joyce and Vuller, who you know from Malawi, used to be we had a season down here with the pulse. I don't know about that, but honestly, and we've seen a similar thing in Australia when something was miscounted. I just think, you know, the scorers have got to be better. But it's all very well saying that we all make mistakes, but I just I just don't think VAR will cut the mustard here.
Speaker 3: I'm all for it. I'm all for it.
Speaker 2: If it means the calls are going to be corrected and are the right ones, why not you would just simply go move to the bench, the bench, go No, that was a two point, as long as it's quick, as long as it's a quick position.
Speaker 4: But look what happens in basketball. You're stopping all the time, and you're going across and the refs are chatting and waiting for the footage to be you know, play this is NBA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it to be that. It would have to be a yeah with a name, a limit, there might be only so many challenges. But I think I'm not even sure for this example. If you need a v again, you're using that basketball example, you know, as a manager there and you take a running sheet of the score, because in basketball, you're looking to see if it's been signaled as a three or a two, and if there's a discrepancy, you have to either tell the coach straight away who can approach the bench, or you have to wait for a break and play. So maybe that's what managers have to do now they have and some of them.
Speaker 4: Already do good enough to do.
Speaker 2: But that's just part of your job right, and that's pretty important, having the school right. So you need to be watching if they've signaled too and if it isn't match what you've got on your school sheet, what's on the board, you need a challenge it and you need to do it straight away.
Speaker 3: And maybe that's when you call that technical timeout.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure, but I think that's a way of solving that without having to go to that bet.
Speaker 4: That's what happened in Australia, I think, and I think it was the I can't remember which team it was, but they were, you know, saying they didn't stop, and they didn't stop.
Speaker 3: They've got to.
Speaker 2: Correct it then in there. I think it's got to be then and there if it goes too far. It's the only other thing about the new rules, if we're just sticking on those. We saw the technical timeouts. I felt ninety seconds was too long. Lot of the players seemed to be back in position after sixty, so, I mean, no one knew until you try these things out that My initial impression was perhaps sixty. I did like the fact that they could take the technical time out, so Annie, yeah, yeah, And for some of them, the coaches actually weren't saying much. It was just a time I think the tactics called one and it was just half half of it. They were just breathing and just actually having a moment just to regroup. Other times we saw the coaches getting in there. And actually, you know, when I took just chatting to Bubby before, I was really impressed with a lot of the coaches.
Speaker 3: During those times out timeouts.
Speaker 2: You know, Donner I thought, got in there and you know, she gets her eyes going and she gets really fiery Donnor. So she's going to be the fiery coach that's going to you know, be great for TV. Bubby I thought was very clear and concise and had that real clarity with what.
Speaker 4: She was saying.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, Anna Andrews tasol a very good as well. So I think the coaches used it well and it didn't have to be all about them, you know, saying things. It was giving the players a chance just to actually breathe can get back out.
Speaker 4: Do you have to use it?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: No, no, no.
Speaker 3: Definitely not.
Speaker 2: All right, let's jump ahead. Now let's look at round two matches. First up Saturday Myssedtics v.
Speaker 3: Pulse. It's in Auckland. For me, it's a game of the round.
Speaker 2: These two teams were both very successful in round one. When you look at the stats, it's pretty even. They've played a lot of matches and it's pretty even who's had the win loss record. Jen, what do you reckon? Who's your early pick for this one?
Speaker 4: And why I'm looking at the wrong round? Mystix Pulse?
Speaker 3: Yeahs six Pulse.
Speaker 4: Well, I I'm annoyed with the Pulse, but.
Speaker 3: We know that here we're thinking they've got a full squad this week, quite right.
Speaker 4: I think it'll be a great game. Actually, I mean my mind just goes back to that final last year, which I thought was just superb.
Speaker 3: One goal in it, one goal.
Speaker 4: So no, I'm going to stick with the Pulse there at home. I think we know really what I think. I think it'll just be It'll be a tremendous game.
Speaker 2: I think it's the Mystics at home, isn't it? Trust Mystics at home? Yeah, so you're going to go pulse Mystics. Are you going to get mistics? Yes, Okay, I'm going to go Pulse. I think they were just too sharp throughout the court in their first round. I thought the Mystics defensively, they could struggle a little bit against the pulse pulse attack and the mid court is just going to be too strong in the pulse and pulse. They've got Paris Mason. How good was she? She may also be in our Pack of the Week Team of the Weeks check it out. She will play on her fiftieth A and Z Premiership match in round her she takes a court against the Mystics, and don't forget we've also got Kelly Jackson lining up against Wollum, so you know she is very good at that high bare or Jenny's.
Speaker 4: Going, no, I agree with you, because we're.
Speaker 3: Convincing you that maybe it's themestic.
Speaker 4: No, well, I just think the mixer, the mixing the Mystics of a unit I think are a different kettle of fish to the Magic. But you see, I'm contradicting myself because it's okay, we're all over the place. But I just I will be looking forward very much to that Wallumn Jackson clash because I'm just trying to think of they know they haven't played against each other on an international level, have they?
Speaker 2: Maybe, well, she's actually only played sex test kits and she while I'm for Australia so she hasn't played much or to be one for Pulse your pulse mystics, what are you?
Speaker 3: I'm Pulse, I was.
Speaker 2: I was advocating for the Pulses and I had to think, Okay, we haven't had too many.
Speaker 3: Brain fades this week. Actually, I've also got a little shout out.
Speaker 2: I've got to go to Alex b who kindly reminded me when I was having my brains week it was Australian Diamond Nat Evelyna.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, Mat, that's.
Speaker 2: So obviously remember at the very Yes, it's good to know people were listening. Okay, Stars tactics for me, Oh, I'm again that face. I was thinking tactics. You know, Stars, they're going to be without the potentially though we've just heard going to have Kayla Cullen, which is brilliant, but I think the Taxes will be too strong. Cut and Burger Jane Watson, they are a class act.
Speaker 3: I think the Tactics will take this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so do I And I thought it was interesting how in the final quarter of that match against the Steel, Burger and Watson just came into their you know, they really got their groove on also Miela Royally Buchanan's one hundredth game for the Tactics, so there's a little bright bright light.
Speaker 2: Yeah then, and even though these injuries might galvanize this Stars side, I think it's just going to be probably too tough for them. And yeah, Tactics too strong, So I'm going to go Tactics as well. And the last game to round out Round two, it's on a Monday night. It's Magic and Steel, it's Hamilton, Annie, you're going to be there.
Speaker 3: Neither have had a win yet. Who's going to get your first win?
Speaker 2: And I think I'm still going to go Magic for this one because they're at home. Both of those sides put up the most two point shots, so it could be a two point fiester. I think it'll be a good tussle in that goal circle with the echinaccio and the height of steife. But I think, yeah, Magic will be too strong.
Speaker 4: Yes, I pondered over this. I'll tell you what. One Steel player that really impressed me was that Serena down a Cummercummer, Yes, because we last I saw her. You know, she was plucked from nowhere and got moved south and all the rest of it, and she was handy. But I thought she was really good the other day in that match against.
Speaker 3: The tax Excer.
Speaker 4: So but having said that, I will still stay with the Magic. I think I think they're too good. I don't think Savior too We will have another game like that. I just think when you look at I think, you know, two points shot Echinasio has it, and you know that will get them out of trouble all the teams.
Speaker 2: I think after round one they've got to strategize more with these two points shot. You know, they've got to pick and choose when do they go for them when they're ahead or when they're not.
Speaker 3: Do you do you just secure it with that?
Speaker 2: When you're ahead of the game, do you just get the ones in and maybe put the pressure on the other team to miss the twos? Then you get the rebounds and unless you're feeling it, like Barbi said, you know, sometimes the shooters are feeling hot and then you want them to go for it. But I agree to me in that Magic game last round, when they were down by lot, they keep going for one. You're like, you're down by twelve, shoot the two because you've got nothing to lose. To catch up that many in the last quarter. It's doable, but it's tough. But look, I think they're going to be a brilliant round. I'm really looking forward to that Mystic's Pulse match in particular. But that's about all the time we've got today, Bubby. She keep wanting to chat about ten minutes and we didn't want to stop it. It was brilliant. But look, please make sure you tell your needy friends that you can download Inside Netball on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts. Maybe even can go one step further, share the Inside Nitty podcast link and one of the many nitble check groups that are floating around that Facebook ether. Either way, get that debate fired up. We love to hear a good needty debate. Until next episode, Marty wa