Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Francesca Budkin and I'm Louise Aria and this is season four of our New Zealand Ye Old podcast The Little Things.
Speaker 2: Good to have you with us. In this podcast, we talk to experts and find out all the little things you need to know to improve all areas of your life.
Speaker 1: And today we're talking about something that's hitting the headlines. Well it has been for a while now, and that's the Quest for longevity. It's it tight, it's not boring, it's not as hard as you think.
Speaker 2: I mean, we've all read the stories, haven't we know about the wealthy tech bros and the extreme links they're going to an order to live longer people. Have you know a lot of people talked about the TV show Secrets of the Blue Zones. We're always reading articles telling us, you know, to eat this and not that, and to exercise for this long or that long.
Speaker 1: It just goes on and all it does a bit, and I mean sometimes I just wish I was born in a blue zone so I could just come out naturally. But unlike tech Billinia Brian Johnson's very complex and expensive quest, here on the Little Things, we love, research based advice that's simple to follow and is not going to up end your life or empty your wallet.
Speaker 2: So I was very excited when I discovered a University of Sydney research paper published in BMC Medicine stating that small changes can have a big impact on health and reduce the risk of premature death. But better still, these researchers understand that any changes we make must be sustainable, they must be easy to maintain. So they have looked at the minimal we need to do and I promise you this is all durable for all of us.
Speaker 1: So to check longevity, we have a two part podcast for you today. Later on we catch up with journalists Joanna Wayne to talk us through her year long attempt to reduce your biological age. But right now, one of the co authors of that groundbreaking study of Francesca mentioned is doctor Nicholas Comeal. Nick is a trained dietician postdoctoral research fellow in the Physical Activity, Lifestyle and Population Health Department at the University of Sydney and he.
Speaker 3: Is with us now. Welcome, Nick, thanks so much for joining us.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, it's a pleasure. Thanks for the invitation, Nicholas.
Speaker 2: Longevity has been hurting the headlines and social media algorithms increasingly over the last few years. Why do you think people are talking about it so much? Aside from the fact that we all want to live over it's.
Speaker 5: Really become an increasingly important thing to look at, especially as life expectancy has extended so long, I mean globally. But it also raises other questions, you know, how do we live not just a longer life, but a healthier life and embedded with inside that lifespan. And this also comes with I think an increasing wave of just the information that we can get from both wearable technology but also the advancements in science. We're starting to be able to really translate some of that biological information into bite size information that the lay person could understand, and so that's really sort of proliferated a wave of interest I think in this field.
Speaker 1: So the health and wellness space can feel quite overwhelming, and I have heard people report of, you know, fatigue from just all the health and wellness information there is out there. Is it getting harder for you know, even space researchers to combat the noise saved to us by social media and so forth.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, I mean you see this as a dietitians probably the biggest area where I see this. You know, physical activity for example, you would oftentimes get that moving more is healthy, But for a diet in particular.
Speaker 4: Every day, every week there's a.
Speaker 5: New fad diet and new thing that comes up, and that makes a lot of noise, makes my job as a dietitian incredibly challenging. So moving back to the basics, I think that and perhaps we'll discuss it here in a moment. This study was quite important because it really distilled it down to a little bit simpler terms and the sense of fruits vegetables for diet for example, and minutes per day of activity. So I think the noise is challenging, and that's part of our job as researchers is to try to consolidate it, to hop on the air with amazing people such as yourself, to try to disseminate these research findings into usable information and clear the air, so to speak.
Speaker 2: So let's start with the aims of the study. There were two aims. Took us through them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, So this study was interesting.
Speaker 5: So what we did was we were hoping to find the minimum change that you would need for longevity based off of three different lifestyle behaviors. So this is sleep, physical activity, and diet. So we call this span and it sort of embeds itself into the health span and lifespan.
Speaker 4: If we were to use that acronym.
Speaker 5: The other aim of this study was to find the optimal change, So what would be an invest case scenario that would look like And we found some pretty interesting stuff. So the aim was to find the minimum and the optimal, and we were able to find that the minimum for clinically meaningful reductions and risk of moretality. So this is about ten percent lower risk of mortality just required fifteen extra minutes of sleep, two minutes extra per day of moderate to vigorous physical activity, and just something like an extra half serving of vegetables per day. So this is quite unique in the sense of other literature out there. Most studies will focus on broad sweeps of behaviors, but this focused on what is the most the minimum, what is the most the bare minimum that we could do for some chunk of reduction.
Speaker 4: But yeah, hopefully that answers your question.
Speaker 2: Did you focus on the minimum because you have no faith in us to be apeful.
Speaker 3: To kind of kite with any coupe with anything more.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, it's it's a good point. So I wouldn't necessarily lean towards that. I think the main point in this is all previous literature has focused on meeting the guidelines or a perfect diet. You know, if I'm to do this fad diet, or if I'm to do this, and you know, in the most general sense, we as as consumers, we as the public, we generally get the idea moving more is healthy, that eating fruits and vegetables is healthy. The next step really for public health guidance is breaking it down into what I need to do today, what is the first step in the cascade of making behavior change. That's what's really interesting about this. Now it might seem like common sense, but being able to statistically and from an epidemiological perspective break that down into a chunk of where I put my right foot before the left foot, that takes a little bit of design.
Speaker 4: So that was kind of the interest there.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't lean towards the faith in the end user, but yeah, it's it goes hand in hand with behavior change.
Speaker 4: So that was really a novel aspect of this study.
Speaker 3: It was it was a large cohort that you studied.
Speaker 1: I involved, and participant based research and recruitment can be really tricky at times.
Speaker 3: How did you get that many people to be involved?
Speaker 5: Well, luckily I was a little bit of background on this for the listeners here. This was a sample of sixty thousand adults approximately, and these were UK based participants, so these were not Sydney based or Australia based or New Zealand based. And this is a part of what's known as the UK Biobank. So this is a very large scale, one of the largest biomedical studies globally that has trapped.
Speaker 4: People over time.
Speaker 5: So in this study, those sixty thousand participants were tracked over eight years. Now, luckily I was not involved in collecting that data. That would take an enormous amount of effort, and this is a part of that data resource. It enables any researcher globally through application to access that data to explore some of these more more granular associations. So yeah, it wasn't me involved in that, but I think that this is really the next.
Speaker 4: Step of research.
Speaker 2: That was the first comment loom made. They hit sixty.
Speaker 1: Those sort of data banks, you know, are amazing for research, aren't they. You know, you do have to go through your ethical loopholes to get to that to them, but such a great resource.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, and this, you know, it's on longevity.
Speaker 5: The UK Biobank has other aspects collected, you know, I think genetics as well as embedded in this and other metabolic parameters.
Speaker 4: So it's such a rich resource.
Speaker 5: This was really the tippity iceberg on what we're hoping to achieve with the span studies.
Speaker 4: The sleep is coal, activity and day.
Speaker 2: In the past, we've done plenty of studies on sleep and nutrition and physical exercise, but we haven't necessarily looked at them all together, which is kind of weird because they are intertwined, aren't they.
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So this is probably the most important feature of this study. You know, on one element I mentioned that it's the next step, right that we can take breaking it into a chunk, a digestible chunk of where we can what we can do today to make for a longer and healthier future tomorrow. But going back to the biological and physiological underpinnings of this study is an important thing to discuss. So sleep, physical activity, and nutrition are incredibly intertwined and We chose those behaviors because across the twenty four hour period, they basically bump into each other at every point. And I like to give the example of sleep. You know, we've all had that Friday night, or that Saturday, or maybe a long working week where we can't get enough sleep, and the next day we're obviously a little bit fatigued. We're not going to be taken the flight of stairs. We're going to systematically reduce the amount of movement we do. And we're also, at least I know on my end, reaching for that extra bag of Chippy's or that extra bag of biscuits. Because we are fatigued, we are reducing our overall energy and so that drives the sort of the appetite hormones and our bodies to reach out for more energy consumption. So there is a bidirectional relationship between many of the behaviors involved here, and so that's what's unique about this. We chose these behaviors because they're intertwined. They're not silos really, they're more all interconnected as a web and ecological web that we have to consider.
Speaker 1: You're really speaking to me today because I caught a flight this morning. I had to get up at four forty five for and all I have been wanting to do is eat fetty food, you know, like I don't know because I'm fatigued.
Speaker 3: I had a few drinks celebrating a graduation.
Speaker 1: But you know it's so true. We just kind of just put bed on top of bed. Yeah, how did you measure each of these aspects of the study.
Speaker 4: That's a great point.
Speaker 5: So I'm an integrated behavioral scientist at the Mackenzie Wearable sub and we specialize in wearable technology, so you can imagine this as both research grade wearables as well as as well as consumer grade wearables. So you know, you can imagine this as an example like a fitbit or requirement things like this. Now, the UK Biobank had a subsample of individuals and they collected wearable data on them, and so that's what we use. That's really the gold standard for capturing physical activity and sleep measures. And in this case, we collected diet through a food frequency questionnaire, so that's reflective of their long term dietary behavior measurements. So we employed, you know, our ground truth and validated machine learning approaches to break apart that wearable data into these very high resolution changes, and that's how we were able to get the bare minimum. You know, we were able to break it down into those chunks.
Speaker 2: The results are really interesting because as you see, to us before fifteen minutes more sleep a day just out of two minutes I think of exercise, moderate to vigorous exercise and you know, sort of half a cup of you know, an extra half a cup of green vegie or Vegi's or something. That is not a lot to ask for, is it. I mean, you hear that and you go, I can do that. I can do that. It's pretty awesome. So what I want to know is, though, what does that actually mean? Does that just give us a better chance of living longer than the average age or and I think in New Zealand for women it's eighty four minutes just over eighty or does it give us a bit of chance of just getting to the average age.
Speaker 5: So in this study specifically, we did not calculate the life expectancy, So that's sort of a separate a separate area of epidemiology and public health. In this study, we were looking at the risk of premature and death. So it's a slight nuance to your question to answer, the first part would be what does it mean right? Breaking that question that arm of the question down, and that bare minimum was related to a ten percent lower risk of premature death. So while it doesn't mean that we can give you a precise age that you would live to per se, you can imagine that as you make the subsequent changes you'll have up to In this case, we had sixty four percent lower risk of mortality. If you were to make more substantial changes in your lifestyle, that would be the most optimal lifestyle change. So that's quite a large amount and really really exciting work that I'm working on once we finish the call here and hope to preprint and put online soon, is a translation of those risks into life expectancy, so how many raw years you would gain and as well healthy years that you would gain. So there's some exciting new work that will come out that hopefully will take that to the next step, not just a percentage of risk that we can get, but how many years. And that's I think really the pinnacle of translation of research.
Speaker 2: Do you think that will really hit people? That'll make it sink in a lot more with people When you go, you know you'll get this many more years.
Speaker 5: That's always the balancing act, you know, we in research is taking the findings and trying to make them, you know, disseminatable to where we can we can give it to the public, but also trying to put it in realistic terms, you know. So I think it will be helpful because ten percent lower risk is one thing, but years is really I mean, everybody understands that, right, So I think that it will help.
Speaker 4: I think that will be really really interesting.
Speaker 5: The other nice part about this this study, and I won't go into it in too much detail because it's it's not published yet, but is looking at the healthy year's game. So in this study, we're looking at lower risk of mortality, but we're not really breaking down the quality years of your life, you know, and that's I think probably one of the more important features to look at how many years we have of healthy living as opposed to just.
Speaker 3: Pre death exactly.
Speaker 1: And that's right, And so it's taking down those risks of a certain disease, carriivascular disease, cancers and that kind of thing, right, absolutely.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So generally speaking, you'll see this as a a few different diseases you hit, you hit it right on the head there, cardiovascular disease cancer tayetoo, diabetes off that time.
Speaker 4: Another big one you.
Speaker 5: Would see would be, for example, cognitive disorders demnsha Alzheimer's, because you may be void of of cardiovascular or type two diabetic complications, but you can't see cognitive decline.
Speaker 4: And that's definitely on the rise right now.
Speaker 2: In Australia, Nick, you mentioned we've been talking about how intertwined these three things out physical movement and sleep and nutrition. So I'm presuming if you just did one of these things, if you just sleeped for fifteen more minutes a day, because it sounded quite nice, that's not going to have impact.
Speaker 3: You've got to do all three.
Speaker 5: Not necessarily. It's a really really good point to make. So in this study we actually looked at them juxtapose. We looked at the individual behaviors one at a time, and then we held them comparatively to what you would need to do the amount you would need to do of the combined behaviors. So with sleep, for example, you absolutely could make some changes and obtain a benefit, could obtain lower risk, but it was nowhere near the maximum benefit that you could have changed. The sum of the individual parts was equal to more than the whole, so there was a cynergistic relationship there. And the other thing is is that for sleep, for example, we have fifteen minutes, but on its own, you start to see that it would require substantially more sleep than you would And that goes back to what is behaviorally sustainable for these individuals who might be trying to make change. If I ask you to sleep an extra hour every day, you'd tell me, you know, I can't, I have to work, you know, I just might not be feasible, but just an extra little bit there, and then changing maybe you know what you prepare for breakfast or lunch or dinner to have just that extra little bit. Now we're starting to make long term sustainable changes. And that's the icing on the cake here, is really trying to make things not just feasible, but to where they're practical to maintain in the long term.
Speaker 1: Just on that sleep, is that as part of your evening, your overnight sleep, or it can it be a nap at some other point of the day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a good point. So we didn't we didn't look at naps or other breaks inside of that. But I think that the literature now supports that the nap still can be a healthy part of rest, right. I mean, that's not the focus of this study, but it's an important that's an interesting point to make, you know, as you know, if you can get the total hours as opposed to one continuous bout of sleep. And I think that that's going to be answered soon because sleep is is kind of an under explored area in longevity, in terms of wearable technology, it hasn't yet really been fully explored to the extent of physical activity. And I think we're seeing a new way. Our team has been publishing some stuff on this as well as sleep regularity, how consistent you are with sleep, and as well, you know, we sleep catch up. So for example, a year to go sleep on the weekend, you catch up all of the sleep you're missing for the week with that had the same benefit. And this is a new wave of sleep studies that are coming out really pointing towards comparison with physical activity, where you might do some weekend warrior type behaviors. And yeah, I think I can't answer that specifically which would be better at apples to oranges, because we didn't address that in the study, But I think it will be answered soon. I think that's the next next week.
Speaker 1: If we are already getting a recommended amount of sleep, we're exercising regularly, and we've got pretty good nutrition, well, how do we make an impact on our house in that case?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So in this study we did explore if you were to shift the reference points. So for example, in this study, we were looking at those who were occupying sort of the bottom end of these behaviors and saying, what's the minimum from that? Which you miss some public health relevance there because not everybody in the distribution of society is going to be at the bottom end, sleeping a small amount or occupying the worst possible dietary behaviors. And you still could achieve benefits if you were to make change, but it wasn't to the same degree. And that's because, as you said, you're already occupying a more optimal profile. And I think that's when you start to get into really trying to refine what those behaviors look like. So for example, with physical activity, I mean it starts to become blurry because you can embed this in other things, for example, sedentary behavior. If you're breaking up your day of sitting down and injecting the same duration of physical activity across the day to try to interrupt those long bouts of sitting. That can have some benefit as well as the regularity aspect that I was mentioning, going to sleep at a consistent time that we have shown previously, again not the purpose of today discussion, but that's shown to have an enormous impact on our risk of dementia as well as our risk of cardiovascular disease. And that's really exciting because that's starting to show that the biological notion of this circadian rhythm, you know, as we start to feed into it, we're consistently going to sleep at the same time, we're consistently training or eating at the same time. Now we're starting to allow for the body system to operate on a more regular rhythm, literally a regular rhythm, and that can add to our or amplify the lifestyle benefits that we're already getting same amount.
Speaker 2: It's interesting you use that we're consistent because as two women who are around the age of perimenopause minipause, consistency has suddenly become hugely important and actually a lot of large parts of our lives can I just ask a question. Thing we were talking about, of course, the minimum amount that you had to do, but what was the optimum amount that you discovered.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's a great point.
Speaker 5: So optimum in this case was quite quite substantial in the sense of sleep. Sleep was somewhere around seven to eight hours per day. I'll give these as approximations here. And for physical activity, we were looking at more of the forty to one hundred minutes per day. So this is quite a substantial amount of moderate to vigorous physical activity. So I mean moderate to vigorous. You could imagine this as a brisk walking for an hour along those lines would get you up to that. And then for diet, it was quite a few changes. So for example, entirely cutting out sugar sweetened beverages, We're reducing the processed or refined meats from the diet, several servings per day of fruits and vegetables, and this is kind of sort of like meeting the food the food my plate. You know, you're fitting all of the food groups that you would need to match the dietary guidelines depending on which country you're in, obviously, but as a generalization that would be the main objective, and for that again, we're getting up to a sixty four percent lower risk of mortality. So it does require some shifts, but yeah, it's it's still doable, you know. I think these are all things that we could make in our day to day lives. They just take a little bit more planning when looking at the maximum.
Speaker 1: They do take planning because I used to do my exercise first thing in the morning when I woke up, but I've recently joined a JIM and I go with a friend from work and we leave our desks, we walk down there, we do our workout, we walk back and I can't believe for a difference it's made to my day, you know, because I'm breaking up there sitting. Yeah, and it also means I have to plan my breakfast, down, my lunch, you know, I have to do all of that. So it does take a bit of planning. But then you get into the pattern of it again, you become consistent.
Speaker 5: That's the important part is creating the habit. Once the habit's created, it sort of falls like a domino, and that's.
Speaker 4: What we're hoping to achieve here. Create the first domino.
Speaker 2: You know, which is really interesting when it comes to us thinking about longevity or just looking after ourselves to live a healthier life, we tend to hear all these stories at the moment we go kind of straight to biohacking, don't we. I mean, do biological tests or genome sequencing, all these full body scans that you're hearing people you know, getting done these days, do they have a role to play in longevity or I mean they're really out of reach for the average person, aren't they.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean there's sort of a hierarchy here of what's important in public health and what is achievable. And I think at the bottom of that hierarchy, I mean wearables aside, everything aside, I mean, is basically just trying to make the things that we do in our every day to day life optimized. We have to eat food, we have to sleep, I mean, movement is essential. We need to move our bodies. So you sort of need to achieve that first level of the hierarchy before you can even start to thay about doing a human genome sequence. I mean, I guess you don't have to, but the main thing is that that would be the first logical step, so that way you can incrementally sort of refine what you're doing. And the other thing is these things cost money, right, I mean we can not just in high income countries, but we look at this from a global standpoint. There's a lot of countries where we don't have those tools or resources to be able to do so. While biohacking is important and I think it does have another silver lining in terms of advancing the field of longevity. This wave of consumers doing this can add some nice data and richness to what's available there and help point towards the next generation when things become more affordable. But I mean, I'm more of a generalist. I like to think of how I can impact the highest number of people, how we can help change the highest number of lifestyles and behavior change, And with that it's better oftentimes to start with what's changeable in the general public and how we can start to make those shifts. So, yeah, it's sort of yin and yang. There's a place for it, but enough for everybody.
Speaker 1: We were going to raise Brian Johnson type things that he's doing to try and live for I don't know what is it one hundred and forty, one hundred and six or whatever it is twenty I think, and he's a bit of a piney I get that, and he acts as if he's doing it for the benefit of all mankind. But you've really answered that it's yes, there may be some things that come out of his personal experiment that will benefit humankind later.
Speaker 3: I don't know how many out of all the.
Speaker 1: Many many things he's doing, because there's no control, so at least you're just counting the rest of the population. But what you're saying is more that these things can sort of have a trickle down effect for population health that if you start, as you say, at the top of the pyramid.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, yeah, so there's definitely pros and cons to these sorts of things, and yeah, it's incredible to sort of commit that much time. I'm in that much resource to advancing the field. But again going also to other things such as the sustainability of these behaviors. You know, if I was to go to the general public and tell them they need to follow this, you know, twelve hour regime every day, it's not feasible, you know, and you almost end up with better behavior change and you end up with more successful protocols whenever they are a little bit more realistic. Now, maybe that's the minimum change, maybe it's a little bit more generalized. But offering these really really structured regimes, you end up moving people away from in some cases not all cases, you end up moving them away from organic living into this sort of structured confine of you need to do this at every minute of the day, and it moves away from free living and into almost a synthetic environment.
Speaker 4: And that's not.
Speaker 5: Always healthy for everybody. It can cause some mental concerns. It can cause some eruptions in your quality of life. So longevity and quality of life, that can be a balance to strike there. Yeah, and mental health and psychology. It's not my expertise, but you can imagine how this could be. I mean, how this could disrupt your normal day to day living or normal life events that you would have going on, going to a graduation, going you know, things like this. As you mentioned, it can get in the way of those and that's not what we want to preach.
Speaker 4: We want to try to.
Speaker 5: Embed and to weave these into a healthy lifestyle where you can still do everything you'd like to do, just in a healthier way.
Speaker 2: Nicholas, thank you so much for your time. For talking us through this, and I think we're going to have to be back in touch with you again in the future. It sounds like this is just there's just a lot of ongoing information to still to come our way.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, so thank you again for the time. We've got that next study coming up on health span versus lifespan. Would be super keen to discuss with you guys that on the podcast. Otherwise, if there's any questions from the listeners or for you guys, feel free to reach out to me. At the University of Sydney, Nicholas come out.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Little Things And that was doctor Nicholas Comel talking about his groundbreaking study on how small changes those little things can have a big impact on our health. When we come back, the Kewi journo and her year long Queace to reduce her biological age back soon. So, as you know, here on The Little Things, Lou and I like to test out a lot of the advice we're given, but for this EP we didn't have to because our colleague here at The New Zealand Herald, senior feature writer Joanna Wayne, has already done this. So Joe spent a year on a mission to lower her biological age in pursuit of longevity, and joins us now to talk through the process and the results. Welcome, Arenda, thank you so much for sharing your story with us. I presume that you got tested before you started everything.
Speaker 6: Yeah, i'd been I'd written a couple of storyries on the international race to cure aging. So I was really interested in the science of whether you could increase your health span. You know, that's when you're alive, but you don't have any chronic diseases, Like it's something like life expectancy average around the world is eighty but health span where you're healthy and active is like sixty three, you know, not even gold cut. So I was interested in what you could do to keep yourself healthy for longer. And I heard about this DNA test where you could send off this little pin prick blood sample and have your cellular age analyzed, so how your body is deteriorating versus you know, the number of candles on your birthday cake.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I did.
Speaker 6: I had discussed what I would do with one of the people I'd interviewed from my articles, who's own New Zealand's or biotech guy who's developed their supplements, so that were that was part of it. And I was, you know, late fifties turning fifty nine. I thought, okay, can I make myself younger before I hit the big six to So that was the idea. It was a kind of a challenge. So how did you go about this challenge? What did you do? So I'm not an extreme kind of person, and I wanted it to be pretty relatable to the average person. So it wasn't about spending money or you know, come fasting for weeks, So a little less alcohol, a little more exercise, trying to reduce stress. I did go on these anti aging supplements which were supplied by SRW, so that was who also organized the test. And I went to a hypnotherapist to try and reduce stress and also help stop me grinding my teeth, which I do so ferociously.
Speaker 3: I smashed my fillings.
Speaker 6: That's definitely a sign of stress, right, breathing exercises, and I've got this great osteopath who going to him as good for the body is as well as the soul. So just little little things.
Speaker 2: It's interesting you say that they were little things. Did you do that purely because you knew that they would be sustainable and easy to stick to.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I knew for both myself that I just wasn't that kind of intense person who was going to go to the gym seven days a week. But also, you know, for the for the point of doing the story and the challenge, I did want it to be something that just the average person could look at and say, yeah, yeah I could. I could give that a go, And I figured doing anything was worthwhile. I mean, I was reasonably healthy, reasonably good diet, reasonably good weight. You know, it was mainly for me, it wasn't It was about hitting that age where you think, Okay, how many good years have I got left to be active and out and adventures and doing things, and you want to make you want to make that last for as long as possible. So that was a motivation for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that health span thing is really key, isn't it. Sixty three is a little bit of a surprise to me. It probably shouldn't be, bit it is. So you did this for twelve months.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So I had the initial test and I've got to say my results were pretty good. I was quite shaffed. The results are across a whole range of different tests or analysis of your bloods, and one of them had me down at forty three, so rocking it, baby. And then there's also one that's the pace of aging, which is actually based off the Dunedin study, which you know, has followed nearly a thousand people since the early seventies, I think, and that one looks it's a snapshot in time of how fast you're aging. So according to my results in a year, I'm only aging eight and a half months, So that was my best result by far, and at the time, although the technology changes so quickly, at the time, that was considered the core result. So then I did it again at six months to see how I was going along the way. And it is quite nerve wracking waiting for your results, you know, and they were pretty good. They were much the same. I think my pace of aging was the same. I had one element that had really improved, but then the twelve month one came along and got I took the ten just after I'd done the Apstau Ocean cycle ride for my sixtieth birthday, so maybe my reserves were depleted, or maybe it was an off day beneaway, my results were not great after twelve months, like they were not great. My pace of aging was still quite good, but it had gone up. My other ages were all late fifties. They'd brought in a new test that looks at the health of your organs the risk factor for issues, and it suggested I'd needed to be careful of my kidneys and there was some inflammatory signals that were up which may be related to stress.
Speaker 2: So it was a bit of a downer that last result. So was it worth it? Was the year worth it?
Speaker 6: I mean that last result may be thinking, oh my god, have I got some underlying condition I don't know about. I think in the future, where the cost of it and accessibility comes down, maybe all of us would do this every six months at the doctrum and then you'd see a pattern rather than a bump up and down. One of my big risk factors was drinking, like I'd put down three to five drinks a week, and that put me in a really quite high risk category for lots of things. I think that's probably I'm still a sporadic exerciser. I try with stress, like I think it's a really stressful dark time in the world, and I try and realize when I feel it quartersol rising. I can almost feel my blood pressure rising. So I try and stay on top of that. But I drink definitely drink less. I think that's the one big thing that I've taken out of it is just knocking having a few days off.
Speaker 2: Just my doctor said to me at one point, she said, actually, you know, no alcohol is best franchisca. And if you look around the world, you know, Canada and other places, they're saying two standard drinks a week, and they're being really strict about it. And I just remember sort of thinking, I don't think I'd ever get to that point. And I think I've had two drinks a week now only for about a month and a half. And I regret to say it probably is a reason for that. You know, it's really interesting, isn't it. I suppose what I'm wondering is, even though in your stats came back and were a little bit depressing, the data was a bit depressing. After that year of doing all those little changes of just exercising a bit more and eating while and cutting back on the alcohol and things, did you in general feel better, like where there are the benefits aside from the data, did you feel better.
Speaker 6: So I have to be really honest. So I didn't feel any different at all through the whole year. I really didn't feel any different. I think a mind shift though, because one of the big things that surprised me in writing about it was that the current thinking is that your genetics are twenty percent, which isn't that high, and lifestyle is eighty percent. So that's the environment you live in. Some of that you might not be able to control, like pollution in the air or whether you can walk or bike to work, but also how you behave in that you know where they had, whether your drink, smoke, exercise. So I think it I felt, I don't know, a terrible we'd empowered to be a little bit more in control and that you can influence it, just to do the best you can. So I think that was what I took out of it most was I want to, you know, keep engaging in life and having adventures and just to keep doing it and know that I can influence at least some of it. Rather, you know, I can lower the odds of things going wrong for me health wise.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 1: Give yourself the best chance with those chronic conditions that can sneak up on us as we age. I'm relieved in a way to hear that you didn't notice it in a huge way, because if you then told me and Francisca today everything change and I just felt amazing, we'd be like, oh no, that's another job we better get on with. So you know, those little changes are probably good for your day to day. Yeah, I think it's like, and you have good days and bad days, and the world hasn't got any easier to live in over.
Speaker 6: The past few years. So probably being a little bit more aware of my response to the world I live in. I suppose you talking about alcohol. It's coming up to winter and we have an open fire, and open fire and a glass of wine, red wine. It's just goes together. But it is just kind of treating myself a bit more gently. I'm the youngest in my family, so I've seen my older siblings deal with various issues as they get older, and yeah, just increasing your chances nobody. There's a looney guy, Brian Johnson, who's really worth reading about if you have a chance, who's gone into this.
Speaker 3: He's very wealthy.
Speaker 6: He's spent millions making his body a personal science. Experiment to try and increase his health span, and he has lowered his cellular age by a few years. But oh my god, the cost of it.
Speaker 3: There's just no joy.
Speaker 6: In life, you know, in the food he eats, he's monitored twenty for seven even his erections during the night measure his manliness or something. I don't know. You've just got to enjoy living, if I think, if you get to extreme on this kind of thing, then you miss out on the whole point of having health speed in any way, you know, if you're not out enjoying it.
Speaker 1: I've done a bit of research on Brian and my issue with him is it is in making out as if he's doing it for the betterment of all mankind. But it'll never be affordable for all mankind to do what he's doing. And if he comes across some golden nugget, that'd be great.
Speaker 3: It's more about his ego. Yeah, it's not living right, and he's not for the most of us. He wants to do it. You will power that.
Speaker 6: You see the ones who are spending so much on anti aging, it's all the really super rich people. It's the Jeff be Sauces and multimillion Dollar Labs working on it. It's ego, it's not about the betterment of humanity.
Speaker 3: That's what the little thing's for. It's free. Listen to it on wherever you get your podcasts, and we'll give you little bits of advice every week.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for joining us and taking us through your year of health pleasure.
Speaker 2: Thank you to both doctor Komel and Joanna Wayne all their time today. That was pretty interesting, wasn't it, Because you know, as we said at the top of the hour, we're all talking about longevity. We're watching the TV show as we're reading the articles about these kind of fruit loopy billionaires who are trying to live to one hundred and twenty in things, and really.
Speaker 3: It's kind of simple.
Speaker 2: It is get a little bit more sleep, do a little bit more exercise, and eat a little bit better. Just throw just half a cup I think it's even a quarter of a cup? Is on you need of green leafy veggies? Yeah, unto your day and that's not hard. Reduce the risk any one of us death. Yeah, And again it's about the house in years, isn't it. It's it's about the peep in your step, and I think that'll be really interesting to hear more about what Nick discovers, because of course we were talking about reducing the risk of premature death. But actually, at the moment, I think the health span in New Zealand is sixty three. So that is the age that we get to before we start being That's defined as the year spent generally active and free from disease, So that's six three years old. I like that to be a little older.
Speaker 1: That was an interesting discovery. I didn't know that, and that shocked me a little bit. But then I suppose, I guess I don't know what the perimeters are. Does that mean start to need medication, statins and blood pressure men's and stuff like that. I don't quite know what they mean by sixty three, you know, but anything you can.
Speaker 2: Do, I mean most of us do by that stage.
Speaker 1: Saving all of that off for as long as possible. I certainly want to be fit and fit as a fiddle at sixty three.
Speaker 3: Gosh.
Speaker 2: So I found Nick really interesting, and I found those minimal levels of change just so exciting because we have the third highest adult obesity rate in the OECD. And if we can take this information and you can use it, and you can educate people and things look fingers crossed. It could be a really simple way of having a huge impact. But then I found it really interesting listening to Joanna and everything she went through to kind of come out with quite mixed results at the end of the year.
Speaker 1: Well, we interviewed her in person, and she looks fantastic. She looks young. I as I said, I think sometimes these things, just knowing you're being measured can affect your outcome. So I wonder how much that played into it as well. But I kind of feel relieved about that.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna I'm not going to do that for a year.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to launch out there on and and spend all that money on all the different fads and things go. It's just getting back to what we're always talking about.
Speaker 6: Louise.
Speaker 3: What's that?
Speaker 2: How's the food?
Speaker 3: Move consistently and sleep consistently?
Speaker 2: Ever that's working for us? Okay, thanks for joining us on our new Zealand Heal podcast series, Little Things. We hope you share the podcast with the women in your life so we can all live a little longer.
Speaker 1: You can follow this podcast on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts, and for more on this and other topics, He to zied Herald dot co dot zed
Speaker 2: And we'll catch you next time on the little things.