Speaker 1: Football Fever with news Talks, Envy's Voice of Football, Jason Pine and Bonny Jensen. Hello there, and welcome into a new week and a new episode of the Football Fever podcast, where we cover off all things to do with New Zealand football, the A League, men and women, and anything else that catches our fancy. I'm Jason Pone. Bonny Jensen's here too. Hello, Bonny, Hey, Piiney, how are you good? Thank you? Yeah, A mixed weekend. As far as the New Zealand based A League teams are concerned, we'll cover them all off. I do want to start though, with Saturday afternoon at Go Media, another absolutely thrilling day out before we get into the football. You watched most of this from the Fairest Wheel.
Speaker 2: I mean, Pieer, how could I not really? I just when I heard Auckland NEFC we're getting this for us where I think I may have mentioned it last week on the podcast, I was like, how insane can they be? They've just you know, they've had a beach, they've had a slide, they've had flyovers and you know, fireworks and now a fairis Wheel a circus they were calling it. They had other Carnival Games, and you know, I thought, why not try and watch the whole game from the Fairis Wheel and do a wee story on it. So I did that. That'll be coming out in the Herald Monday afternoon.
Speaker 1: Good stuff. But yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was just great. And Nick Becker came and joined me the Auckland f c CEO Dan Hall.
Speaker 1: And yeah, it was brilliant wins. Dan Hall back.
Speaker 2: Dan Hall, I feel is back this weekend. He might be in the game day squad. I'm not sure. Steve Corker said, there's there's no this was this was before the game and the weekend. Steve Corker said, there was no real reason to rush Dan Hall into it. You know, they Tommy Smith's been doing great in there, and you know they want to obviously preserve them for the playoffs. But in saying that, when you look at some of the goals they conceived over the weekend, maybe he will he will reconsider that.
Speaker 1: It's an interesting conundrum for Steve Corricker. I mean, shone great faith in his team, hasn't he. I was looking on the weekend. Louis Vustrata for the second week in a row, didn't start the game. You know, Steve Coriker didn't change the winning team and look at maywell be that when he considers his team for the next game against the Newcastle Jets this coming weekend that he tinkers a little bit. But you don't change a winning team. He hasn't changed a winning team. But yeah, when Dan Hall comes back, he's going to present a fairly compelling proposition, isn't he. Because you think of those first six games that he was involved in, six games, six wins, broke his ankle at training. I feel like he's got a if he's fit, and he won't be fit straight away, he's got to present a fairly compelling case to come back into the team, doesn't he? Oh?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? And I spoke with him over the weekend. You know how he was putting his hand up for the Soccaro's the Australian national team before he got injured. He's such a key player and someone you know, I think he was Auckland f C's best player before he got injured. Obviously those were very early days back when he was playing. But yeah, he's certainly got to put his hand up. I think what I like know how Steve Carreker hasn't started for Strata the last two weeks, even though he's been available. Is he's obviously thinking about fatigue and fitness and preserving some of these players, which will be key when they look towards the playoffs. So that's something he'll surely consider as well.
Speaker 1: For you, Yeah, talks a bit about the depth of the side as well. You know that you can leave a guy like Louisvis Strata out, although as I say, they may look at what they do this week after the four to four draw. I don't think I've ever commentated a four all draw before. You know, if you score four goals and you don't come away with all three points, you probably think to yourself, well, what's happened as far as the two teams are concerned. Steve Coricker definitely saw it as two points dropped and Carl Viett, I think, was happy to get away with a point. What were your overall what your overall thoughts before we zoom in on a couple of things. What were your overall thoughts?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well I thought Auckland DEFC shouldn't feel necessarily ashamed of a draw with Adelaide. You know, Adelaide turned up for the occasion. I thought they played better than what they have done in the past few weeks. Certainly a show. Piney. You mentioned the eight goals. That's fifteen goals at go media in the last two weeks, obviously thinking about the six to one when they had over the Wellington Phoenix. But no, I don't feel they I don't feel like Auckland f C should be necessarily upset. They still have a eight point lead at the top of the A League table. But I do think they should be slightly concerned about the four goals they conceded. I think two of them are very sloppy defending and the other two were very sloppy lazy tackles that obviously conceded the penalties. You know, that's five goals I've conceded in the last two games, which is very unlike Auckland f C. So I think that slightly is a red flag. But at the same time, I think a draw is absolutely fine to come away with.
Speaker 1: I think you've nailed it in terms of their defense. They'll certainly be working hard on that this week. Let's talk about We'll come to the penalties in a moment, but yeah, you're right. The two goals they conceded. The first a near post header by Archie Goodwin that's gone off the post, and then Jordan nel says the quickest to react, he puts it home. Look, there's a lot of men in around the penalty area and I think maybe Adeli I've got a bit of the bounce of the ball there. I know Hiroki Sakai will look back at his defending at the near post and probably examine that. But the goal at the end, it's not good defending at all from Auckland f C. When you're four to three up with you know, deep into at a time you should win that game. They did not defend well enough at the end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, and it shows, you know, they've been so good in those pressure moments Auckland f C. I mean they showed it again at the weekend, scoring in the ninety second minute. I'm sure everyone probably you as well, party commentating in the box. We thought Hiroki had won it then and there, and it was so unlike Auckland f C to concede that like go you know, usually it is just them the ones finishing it off. So something they'll certainly learn from They've learned from a lot of mistakes I've had throughout the season, and you know, maybe it's a blessing in disguise. It comes now as they you know, eye up these these playoffs and hopefully go on to win it. That's something they'll you know, learn from.
Speaker 1: You did, right, That's what I did think. When Sarki scored, I thought, what a narrative, you know, the captain in the time when his team needed it the most, standing up to score what we all thought was going to be the winning goal and a seven goal thriller. I mean, what a moment. And the noise, Bonnie when he scored. The noise, because it's you know, there's there's the header which is initially saved, and then the follow up for the goal, there's that amazing crowd noise of a ah and then yeah, you know it's it is. It's Premier League noise. It's just incredible, Oh it is.
Speaker 2: And I jumped up and smack my head or just about smack mayhead on the ceiling of the carriage of the Fairis wheel and then I quickly read the side behind me and remember that you meant to be sitting down. It was it was just incredible. And watching it from that ferris wheel and just seeing the whole stand erupt it was. It was absolutely unreal. And Pioneer listened back to the highlights this morning, shout out to you. I thought that that call you did was absolutely incredible. Got goosebumps all over again. But as you said in the in the call, Hiroki, you know, it would have been a great narrative for him to win it there. But that's why it was so so surprising that they then went on to concede.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Marvaren's for Adelaide United, scoring in the eighth added minute to make it for all. And yeah, as I say, Steve Coricker I think was the more disappointed of the coaches. If your carl Vet, you come back from two nil down, three to one down and four three down late on and escape with a point, you're happy turn that over. And Steve Coricker, having led by those margins and not taking all three points, would be upset. And he thought both penalties were soft. Now I was during the commentary. I thought the first penalty, when Louis vu Strata has collected the leg of Ethan Alligance in the penalty area, I said I thought it was a penalty. Nothing I've seen since has changed my mind. Steve Currik had tried to change my mind after the game and the press conference, and then afterwards as we were walking out, he was absolutely adamant that that was not a penalty, as he was the second one, when Stephan Marc has gone into the area weaving his way through, Yes he's looking for contact, but he's an experienced player, Stephan Marc, and in that moment he knew that if he took the ball with him into the penalty area, into a crowded area, there was likely to get there was likely to be a touch somewhere, and so it proved to be. So I don't know that Auckland FC can have genuine complaints about the two penalties. I don't think they were absolute, obvious, clear errors, either of them.
Speaker 2: I agree Piney, I think they were absolutely penalties. Yes they were soft, and you know another referee, another on a different day, may have called something else. But you put the same situation up the other end of the picture, and I think Steve Coric is throwing his hands up calling for a penalty all day. So yeah, I think you know it could have gone either way more so think than penalties, and I actually just think they were very lazy defending from from Rastrata and Tommy Smith.
Speaker 1: I think also there's the inconsistency across the competition because you think back to the game between Wellington Phoenix and Brisbane. When a Shiga is you know, it is basically had a chunk taken out of his leg in the penalty area, much much more physical contact than either of the two on the weekend, and that wasn't given as a penalty. A couple of other Phoenix examples and recent weeks haven't been, so I think it feels like there's a sliding scale of what is a penalty and what isn't and it's very much in the hands of the referee, and I know it has to be, really because it's not as though it's not like a has the ball gone over the line or not. Penalty decisions are are objective in the eyes of the referee. I think one thing Steve Koric has said, which I think I do agree with, was that Daniel Elder was in very close proximity to the Forstrata tackle. He was about five yards away looking directly at it, and decided there was nothing to see here. It was only when the var called him over. So I don't know does the var have to call him over in that situation or does he say, okay, well you've had a good look at it and you don't think it's a pen.
Speaker 2: I don't know, yeah, exactly, it's it is. It is really tough to call. And I just wonder if maybe you know that the luck had run out a little bit, not quoting Chiefy there, but the luck had run out a little bit for Auckland f C. Because obviously the week before, wasn't it, or maybe a couple of weeks ago when Nando should have got a red card and he didn't. You know, I think Steve Corac has to look at the bigger picture here and go you know, it's obviously could have gone either way. It's a subjective decision. But in this case it didn't go their way. And I don't think it's all doom and glue. They got a point, yea.
Speaker 1: These things tend to even themselves out across the course of a season, don't they. Other parts of the game Auckland f C up to nil early gives youmo Mi's first goal. My goodness, what a cracker, just a carbon com my god, indeed, oh my my, what can the man not do? Very similar goal to the one he scored earlier on this season against Melbourne City. But he's just an excitement machine, isn't he. Giz you ma, I hadn't didn't score at all in the six to one win. I'm sure that was playing on his mind, because when you score six and you're the main striker and you don't get any you think that's ow right, I'm going to put that right. And he did inside fifteen minutes, got a couple Logan Rogerson, another goal for him, a couple of penalties to say, Zach Cloff converting them both, and then Sarkai and friends at the end. A terrific game if you're a neutral, and I saw a lot of stuff coming in on social media from across the TASMANA people saying game of the season, incredible contest, what a spectacle, all of that stuff. If you've got skin in the game, you're a bit disappointed if you're Auckland FC. But as a spectacle, if you landed in, you know, from out of space and watch that game and thought, okay, this is the A League. You'd be back next week to watch.
Speaker 2: It, absolutely, And you know, I think it was close to seventeen thousand fans there. As I mentioned before, fifteen goals that go be there in the last two weeks. My sister they were her first to Auckland nef CE games and what to to go to. I told her, you know that they're not all like this, but they are pretty exciting just on those goals. I think what's so impressive for Auckland nef C and promising I guess heading into the playoffs is the variety of goal scorers that we've seen throughout the season. Yes, my stood up on the weekend. Obviously, Hiroki and Logan got one too, but you know last week it was Nadar and then we've seen Nando's score a few, so it's you know, Brimmer as well another one. It's really promising that they have got goal scorers right across the.
Speaker 1: Park and a near good point across the last couple of weeks. Yeah, they've all been in the goals, haven't they. So now gives you my Mai, Nadal Modino and Logan Rogers and all have seven goals, so I'm sure they're having a little internal competition themselves. Not saying that they wouldn't pass it to the other one of the others if they're in a better position, but you know, that's the kind of competition you want internally, is a lot of guys trying to score goals. Tommy Smith I quick mention on him his five hundred and fiftieth professional game. That is an incredible achievement by Tommy Smith. The guy's been around for a couple of decades in the professional game. Auckland FC Bonnie are eight points clear now with eight games to go. Can they be caught?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think they can. I actually think Pioney, this weekend's game coming up in Newcastle is going to be so taling. Newcastle are, you know, far lower down the table. They're currently a ninth but they haven't lost in the last five games. They beat Adelaide United just a couple of weeks ago, So yeah, I think this if they win it this weekend, it's they can put both hands on the play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think that was maybe the bit of the disappointment for Steve Kurriker. He would have liked to have been ten points clear with eight games to go, at which point I think you can say nobody's pulling back a double digit points deficits. I agree with you. I don't think anybody's catching them eight points clear. It seems to me as though there's a real battle though for that second spot. Western United thirty two, Adelaide thirty two, Western Sydney Wanderers thirty one, Melbourne City thirty one, Melbourne Victory thirty Sydney FC twenty nine. So what's that Six teams within three points of each other and they'll all take points of each other, which I think also plays into Aukland FC's hands because nobody I don't think is going to put a run together and it would need Auckland f C to fall over, which I don't think they're going to do exactly.
Speaker 2: And you look at Adelaide and Melbourne City, they're probably in the best place out of all those teams you mentioned. They have a game in hand, but so to Auckland f C as well. Just to add to that so very exciting last couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: I think Adelaide United are a very good team. I really enjoyed watching them and comparing them to Wellington Phoenix a week ago. You know, the Phoenix went behind, and yes they pulled one back early in the second half, but it never really felt like Wellington finished win to win that game. Even when Adelaide were two aled down and three to one down, they didn't stop. And that is the mark of a side that is very good come finals time. You know, that could be a Grand final, Awkley FC Adelaide could be the Grand Final.
Speaker 2: It's setting up for quite a good rivalry now because they've played twice and had two thrilling matches and both ending in draws. So if they do meet in the final party it's yeah, certainly going to be you know, more than just a trophy. They're going to get ultimate bragging arts for the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I love the rivalry that's built already. You're right. So the aggregate score across the two games is six all and there's been incredible drama in both games, late goals controversy, coaches fully invested, big crowds. I mean Adelaide's home crowd is as good as Auckland's. You know, they get good, good crowds in South Australia at Cooper Stadium, a similar kind of venue, rectangular, the crowd are right on top of the players. Yeah. I love the fact that there might be this rivalry building.
Speaker 2: I bet what's going to happen is they're going to meet in the semis Dare I say it? And it's going to be like a really tight home in a way of fear. Yes, And it's there's going to be great traveling contingents from both sides. And it's oh, I'm already I can already feel it now. It's making me nervous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, we'll see, We'll see what happens down the track. Next. Our point of business, as you say, for Auckland FC, Newcastle away. Newcastle in a good run of form five unbeaten as you say, have won their last three. So it won't be easy going to McDonald Jones Stadium on Sunday night at seven o'clock New Zealand time. But that is Auckland FC's next game as they look to continue there what now looks to be an inevitable march towards the Premier's plate. This is football fever. So that was Saturday. If we rewind to Friday night, the Wellington Phoenix welcomed Melbourne City to Sky Stadium a one nil win for Melbourne City, third straight loss for the Phoenix, fifth game without a win, just two goals in those five games. A Marco Tillio goal early in the second half settled this one. I was contrasting and comparing the two games. I had the opportunity to commentate both of them, and really it was just compared to what we saw play out on Saturday. It was just by comparison, nowhere near it on Friday night.
Speaker 2: I feel bad, I've said this the last few weeks, but it is really hard to critique the Phoenix at the moment because the team is so young and it's not a great watch. It's not a great watch of football. You know. It's that they had five shots on goal, none of them on target, and you know, it's quite sad for the team really considering what they did last year. But I think what the most disappointing thing for me was is Chief he touched on it at the start of the season. Is that the last of drive and motivation that you're seeing from these players on the field. I watched kind of you know the character of these players last week against Auckland f C. A lot of heads down, you know, angry, yelling at each other and taking it out and you see that in all teams. You know, no doubt Auckland f C would have done that as well at the weekend, but it seems to be pretty rife in the Wellington Phoenix again when they conceded the two goals at the weekend. Obviously one of them was caught offside, but a lot of swearing at each other and your heads down and placing the blame elsewhere rather than taking onus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a really good observation and it's always a lot easier, as we all know, it's a lot easier to be buoyant and you know, to be positive when things are going your way. I mean Aukland FC and Wellington Phoenix are having very different seasons, aren't they. But you know, I kind of hope that there would be more from Wellington Phoenix. And to be fair, they were better than the previous week. I mean it's a low I know, when you lose six to one, they were better first half nil all Alex Rufer I think was instrumental and you know, coming back into the starting side for the first time since last December, he kind of really solidified things there in central midfield. Plo Retre was in there as well, having missed the derby. Sam Sutton coming back that you know, that's the best choice at left back, and I like the fact that Nathan Wrker got a start as well. But really they didn't They didn't really start really going for it until after they one kneel down. Luke brook Smith came on, Michael Rojas came on, Giraldis was good at times, but I don't know. I watched the Phoenix side and I compare it to last year. Last year, you always expected that regardless of the that situation, they will find a way to score a goal. I don't feel the same way this season at all.
Speaker 2: No, they can't and I just don't think they have the personality or the experience to do that this season, which is such a shame because you know, I'm looking at the lineup and the players you name Piney, and there are actually some really experienced, talented players in that lineup, but just for some reason this season it's not gelling. And whether we put that down to management or the players' attitudes, I'm not sure, but yeah, it is a real shame for the fans. It looked like I don't know how many if you know how many people were there, Piney. They looked like a nice turnout, you know, turned up to the stadium on Friday night.
Speaker 1: It was around sort of six thousands, I think. But they made a lot of noise. I raally like that. You know, you can't, you know, we talk a lot about the port and the noise they make and they do. But the hardcore Yellow Fever and we should have mentioned this last week and didn't, but they sung for the whole game last week in the derby as they watched their team dismantled six' to. One they were the same there On friday. Night there was a lot of, noise a lot of energy and that's what following a football team. Is so, yeah, no we do have to give it to the you, know to The phoenix. Fans Corbyn piper had had a head a brilliantly saved By Patrick beach but as it happened the flag was up, anyway doesn't take away from the. Save the save was. Outstanding wouldn't accounted Sir Wellington phoenix eleventh of in the league nineteen, points eleven points outside the top, six eight games to, go playoffs are basically. Gone it would take a huge turnaround in their. Fortunes they basically have to win their remaining eight games to get anywhere near the top. SIX i think what The phoenix will be now a disruptors for the rest because we talked about those other teams, before jockeying for positions in the top, two top, four top, six and The phoenix have to play a lot of. Them they Play Western, United SYDNEY, fc The Western Sydney, Wanderers Melbourne, Victory Adelaide, united so you, know they'll be. DISRUPTORS i think is probably the best thing that they can be. Now and they do have to finish. Strongly they're still professional. Players they still have to go out there and try and win every, week even if the top six is going to be out of reach for, them.
Speaker 2: AND i think they should do it for. Themselves you, know they've had a rough season as we've, mentioned riddled with, injuries and you, know a very young, team so just do it for. Themselves and you can already start to See chief he is looking forward to the. Future you, know he's giving more minutes to these younger. PLAYERS i mean he's had two imports on the on the bench on the, weekend so you know HE'S i think that's what they've got to start doing as looking towards next season and just trying to pick up their confidence a little bit and end the season, on you, know as much of a high as they possibly.
Speaker 1: Can, yeah A, SHIGAR i think is carrying a. Knock so that was why he didn't start the. Game he's been pretty much never present Starting. Nagasawa now we haven't seen for a couple of. Weeks he's been on the bench the last couple of weeks and not. Used and then josh Olaway emi is also on the. Bench so you look at you look at the team sheet and three of the five imports are on the. Bench that speaks to recruitment of overseas players that hasn't worked.
Speaker 2: Out the thing That i've got a question about is like The phoenix would have made quite a bit of money from the sale of the likes have been old right And Alex. Paulson so do we just put it down to they've you, know not spent the money correctly and in terms of bringing in these imports this, season because you look at the imports For AUCKLAND, fc and you, know you could Argue auckland is perhaps more of a. Destination it's especially because of their ties WITH Afc. Bournemouth but, yeah you just wonder if they haven't got it right this.
Speaker 1: Season Well phoenix definitely haven't got it, right but they have in previous, years you, know and this is really this is an outlier as far As Wellington phoenix's imports are. Concerned for most of the of the last few, seasons they have got the imports bang. On you look at a guy Like boja Dar, Kroiev you look At Oscars nevada and the things that he did when he was. There you, know those are just two examples of players who have Elevated Wellington phoenix and have, really you, know lifted them to greater. Heights they've just got it wrong this. Season nugasawa and A shiga and Olaway yemi just haven't added what they would have. Hoped and it's not uncommon in THE A, league you, know For AUCKLAND fc to get all five, right which they, have really is probably more the exception than it is the. Rule but, yeah but DON'T i don't know how much they're Paying nagasawa Or Olaway emmy or A. Shiga but you, know so whether they haven't quite reinvested all of the money they, COULD i don't. Know it might be also That AUCKLAND fc got players Like modino The, strata you, Know Guy. GOSS i, MEAN i Think Hiroki saka would have cost them a, Bit but the, OTHERS i hadn't heard of any of, Them, BONNIE i don't think anybody. Had but now you, know so you get these players who are perhaps in a bit of a holding pattern in their. Career Now Louis ustrata is probably now worth two or three times what they paid for.
Speaker 2: Him, yeah, exactly all. Right it is interesting again you'll probably know more than, Me, Piney but will they be breaking some of these contracts next? Season like Ollaway amy what he, was his contract got. Extended surely they're not keeping him.
Speaker 1: AROUND i can't see how they. CAN i think they've got to find a way to extricate themselves from. That that seemed a very curious, decision as you, say just very early. On and, yeah he was serviceable enough in the first couple of. GAMES a one will, drawer then a clean cheek and of two n'll, win you, know and then they you're, right they, said okay to at the. Derby here we're extending then the Derby and, LOOK i think Josh aula william is a good, keeper but if he's not, playing you can't have him taking up an import. Spot, no not at.
Speaker 2: ALL i mean it did happen last season With Alex. Paulson although Was Jack. Duncan was He? Australian, no he is an.
Speaker 1: Important no no, No Jack Duncan's. Australian so, yeah so he wasn't taking up an imported. Spot, no, No BUT i just you and not just. Goalkie but LIKE i, say when you've reached the, game where really now or you know these are must win. Games when you go into a must win game and three of your five import players start that game on the, bench they're not injured, NECESSARILY i, KNOW i, SAID a she is carrying a, Knock but if he's good enough to be in the matchday, squad then he's not that. Injured so when three imports are not injured and not in the starting, eleven then you do you do have to look at it and say we haven't got it.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, Surely AND i think that's What chief he will be doing now and maybe we can see that with. That the squad he's been naming over the last couple of weeks is he knows that they're probably going to swap some of them out next season and why not give as much experience as they can now to the likes Of Corbyn, Piper Nathan, Walker. Lukebrooksmith so maybe Actually chief's out smarting us all with the lineup's good putting.
Speaker 1: Out could well be. Goodwill but, Ye i'd like to see a lot more Of luke Brook. Smith are still very, raw but adds. Energy chief is set after the game that the plan at some stages to Have Geraldez, rojas A shiga And barbarussis all start. Together that'll depend on injuries and things like that and playing, minutes But i'd love to see. IT i, mean that feels exciting to me if if that is what they can manage to do with a bit Of Luke brooksmith And Nathan walker perhaps coming off the. Bench so here we'll see what. Happens Western united are the next assignment For Wellington. Phoenix they play them away On saturday, night that is eight O'clock New zealand. Time the football fever With Jason hin And Bonnie jess and finally to The Wellington phoenix women who Welcomed Adelaide united To Pottydowa park. Yesterday we've talked ad nauseum WHAT i have about how important marches for The Wellington phoenix. Women unfortunately they couldn't Start march with a. Win adelaide are a good, side but a three to one WIN i want to go straight to, This. Bonnie is this a top six Side Wellington. PHOENIX i don't think so.
Speaker 2: ANYMORE i think that was such an important game to get a point, from particularly being a home. Match they do so well at. Home and, YEAH i THINK i don't know, Though, piney because they're actually not far. Off it's still on the ladder And adelaide are actually a really good team and are probably going to go on and win. It so maybe they.
Speaker 1: ARE i don't, know what do you? Think, WELL i hope they, Are BUT i JUST i draw this parallel with last season where this is almost a carbon copy of what happened last season when when The Wellington phoenix had around about the same time had an identical number of. Points, really in, fact it happened slightly earlier last season around sort Of round ten or. Eleven they just got stuck in the mud and couldn't pick up any. Points and now we're at the. Point we're at the point now where if The Wellington phoenix don't win this coming, weekend they'll have fewer points after eighteen games than they did last. Season and they didn't make it last. Season So i'm not willing to write them out of the equation just. Yet this only four points outside the top six with six games to, go but they have to Beat Western sydney On. SUNDAY i feel like that's not.
Speaker 2: Negotiable oh, yes so they've they've Played melbourne, victory have they or they've still got them coming up just BECAUSE i thought that was the next. Game so, yes you're, Right, PINEY i think this weekend is a non. Negotiable there are only four points off that that playoff that playoff spot at the, moment so three points this weekend is a. Must AND i think they still do have a good side with some key. Players you, Know Carolyn vilau on the, weekend the goalkeeper for The Wellington, phoenix she's so. Good obviously she saved that, penalty but in other moments in the, Match she's so key for, them and it's nice to See Emma maine get the start as well at the other. End SO i think they've got the personnel to do. It it's just whether they can gel and make things.
Speaker 1: Happen, YEAH i, mean looking at the, Game adelaide with a better, TEAM i don't think there's any question even you, know through the, Stats adelaide had thirty one shots to The phoenix's, Eight so that alone tells the story of the opportunities that were. Created you're right About carolina. Vlau that penalty save is a brilliant penalty. Save so The adelaide player who took, it and her name escapes me at the, moment has drilled it off To vlao's left and she's got this strong hand to it and she's made a number of other. SAVES i, mean she obviously has let three, in BUT i think you, know and it's only you know a short history of the club has but she is by far the best goalkeeper That Wellington phoenix have had in the women's.
Speaker 2: Program she is an import you don't want to lose forxt, season just speaking on, Imports but, YEAH i, Agree. PINEY i thought she was unreal and she has been unreal beyond this game last. Night so, yeah definitely don't want to lose her key moments like that that can help these teams go. Fast so, yeah back to that top six. THING i think they can do, it but you, Know i'd like to See Alyssa. Wynham she's she's so talented and she's so good on the, ball but just you, know executing some of these opportunity or you, know all these opportunities that she. Has converting you, know these these goals and these opportunities will be so key for. Her AND i think that the minute she starts doing, that she gets caught up into the.
Speaker 1: Ferns, YEAH i, agree and and the goals have dried up and she is a she can turn that tap back on if she starts, to you, know to really get. Creative For, MIDFIELD i think back To january when they Beat perth two, nil they beat The wanderers three. Nil they had that two, one lost To adelaide and then Beat newcastle three. Too they were scoring goals for. Fun they've they've really dried, up just three in the last five. Games so you know that that tells the tale of a team that is start is struggling to to you, know to create chances and when they, do to finish those. Chances but they are still there or. Thereabouts No Grace jarlie yesterday and for the next two, weeks AS i understand, it so that will put a dent in their chances at the attacking. End BUT i think you're. RIGHT i think a lot of, it and without wanting to put too much pressure on, her will revolve around whether a list will win, them can rediscover the creativity that she showed, it you, know for large parts of the first half of the.
Speaker 2: Season and we spoke about it last Week piney how he wanted to See Emma main get more more minutes or it might have been the week, before AND i, hopefully you, Know Grace jarlie being out will Allow emma to get. THOSE i think she also is quite a creative player and could hopefully do something get it moving up the top for them to get out of this dry. SPELL i did really Like Olivia. Ferguson ferguson's goal, though, yeah that was, great.
Speaker 1: Now, NICE i, mean she's onto a bit of an underhit pass looked? Up could have you, know she had a few options because she's still quite a way. Out look up sort of keep her off the. LINE i, thought, WELL i can chip her from. Here so, yeah that's a confidence booster For Olivia, ferguson who's now scored in consecutive. Games she found it a little bit hard to get, going, mister a couple of high profile, opportunities but, yeah goals in consecutive. Games strikers love, that so hopefully she can she can continue to do. So so are we calling it a must win game Against Western. SYDNEY i think we.
Speaker 2: Are oh, yeah oh, YEAH i think.
Speaker 1: So all, right well that is what we shall call, it, then a must win game against The Western Sydney Wanderers Pottydour park On sunday at four. O'clock so hopefully in a week from now and we're chatting again on The Football fever, podcast we'll be talking about a win And Wellington phoenix's women's side moving a bit closer to participation in the top. Six that is us For Football Fever. Bonnie another jam packed weekend with three more games to. Analyze this coming weekend we'll have an all white squad coming out at some stage for THE Ofc World cup. Qualifiers kiwis overseas that we haven't got to. Today so, yeah they just keep on, coming thick and. Fast the football storylines.
Speaker 2: Can't, Wait, Piney, yeah bring it. On it's going to be a big next couple of months and before you know it will be a league.
Speaker 1: Playoffs, indeed see you next. Week this is football even