Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Sport podcast with Jason Vine from Newstalk zb Well.
Speaker 2: If anybody understands the cauldron and the physical nature of rugby tests in South Africa, it is former All Blacks captain Sam Kain.
Speaker 3: Aaron Smith nice over the heat pass from Barrett for Will Jordan. Right hand side of the park is the skipper Sam Kaine, right hand side the All Black smill At first try and look how much it means to them.
Speaker 2: But Sam Kaine also knows better than most the physical toll elite rugby can take. And now the former All Blacks captain and one hundred and five match All Blacks loose forward is lending his support to a New Zealand developed initiative aimed at improving the way concussion is managed at every level of the game. He has become an ambassador for hit Kit, a rapid response concussion kit created by concussion specialist and founder of the Headache Clinic Helen Tafoui to help players, coaches and families navigate the crucial first seventy two hours after a suspected head knock at any level of the game. Sam came's with us Good Afternoon Sam, Thanks for your time, mate. What was it about hit kit and helen Tofui's work that made you want to get involved?
Speaker 4: Hey, Pini, thanks having me on. You summarized it all pretty well there in the intro, But the reason I wanted to get involved, and it was really just because I saw the work. I saw what she had created and literally just flipped a message and said, well done. I'm imagine he's going to have a really positive impact on the community game and good on you for creating it. And she messaged back saying thank you. Would you like to be involved in helping get it out there? And I just thought, yeah, that's it's a great opportunity. You know, I'm happy to do my partner help try and promote it and get it out there and hopefully you get to a stage where sort of every rugby team in New zeal And, right from junior footy all the way up, has one on the sideline in case something happens.
Speaker 2: Throughout your rugby career. How much did your understanding of concussion change from when you first started playing to when you well, I mean you're still playing, but how much has it changed across your career?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's changed a lot for sure, and yeah, it will change a lot in the next ten years too. I think even from when I started out, there was still protocols in place, but just our level of understanding of it has increased massively, and I think there's been real positive steps in the professional game. And we are lucky because we've got medical experts on hand to help us and navigate the recovery process and make sure we're fairly well looked after. But he had the community game. We often rely on volunteers and parents to do their best, and this kit just allows them like peace of mind with some real to your guidelines around what to do. And that's all you want for those seventy two hours, is to know that you've done everything you can to help set someone up for a full recovery.
Speaker 2: It's a physical sport, it's a contact sport. That's the attraction for a lot of people who get involved in it. How difficult is it as a player to admit that you've taken a knock to their head when your instinct is just to stay on well, I think it's.
Speaker 4: Two different knocks. If someone's taken a bad one, sometimes they're not actually aware that they're not quite right, and that's where you do rely on teammates, you know, people on the sideline to pick those sort of things up. And then there's other knocks where you're not sure or you always you say you do know you're not quite right, but you know part of you may want to try and carry on. And it's it's almost been embedded into the rugby culture over years. You know, like if you're a little bit injured, you can will play on then stay on from back in the days when you know a player would never go off and give someone on the bench an opportunity. But when it comes to a head knock, the bravest and the most greatest thing you can do is put your hand up and say no, I'm not quite right and take yourself off. Because we know from studies it's like taking a knock is one thing, but it's to take two blows in one game can can be a lot worse. So look, there's been twice, I think in my career where I've taken a knock, tried to play on for a couple of minutes and realized I'm not quite right and put my hand up and taken myself off the field. Yes.
Speaker 2: Do you think attitudes among players have changed, have genuinely changed or is there still a bit of a tendency to as you say, of you know, I'm okay, I've taken ahead, I'll play on. Do you think there's still a tendency to downplay concussion symptoms in some areas or has there been major improvement.
Speaker 4: There's definitely been major improvement. Like it's really hard to speak on behalf of everyone, but I know a lot personally my attitudes towards it, certainly in the probably second half of my career, having seen teammates have had to retire from it. And then, yeah, I suppose it's sort of a low key advocate, like if I see someone take a knock, I'll be one of the first to check in and make sure they are a ride or alert someone from the sideline. So I think it has changed. It's it's always difficult because some players are at different stages of their careers. They might be playing for an opportunity, they've just got an opportunity, or playing for a contracts, all these sort of things, and that's where things can be harder for some people. But the more education that we've got out there, the more awareness and we create around it, then hopefully will continue to trend in the right direction.
Speaker 2: I know every parent listening and you're probably the same. You know, you want the best for your kids and you don't want to put them into into potentially perilous situations, but you want them to get involved in sport, and rugby is a massive part of our sporting culture. Parents I know can sometimes struggle with the decision of whether their child should even play rugby or return to the sport after they've taken a knock. What is your message to rugby mums and dads.
Speaker 4: Well, it's such an amazing sport. Well, sport in general is great.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 4: The camaraderie that you get from rugby and all the life lessons you learn, like there's you could go mountain biking, you know, all these different supports and there's always an element of risk and you know that and that's part of it what makes it fun also as well. But I think when it comes to the concussion where people shouldn't be scared off by it because a large number of cases suffering a concussion. As long as that's treated well, it's like any other injury, your body will make a can make a full recovery. And that's the important of the hip Kat, is that the first seventy two hours is really important. There's clear guidelines and if someone does stuff for a concussion and you look after them well, then there's no reason why they won't make a full recovery. So although it's neven nice seeing a concussion or someone affected by a blow like that, it's it can As long as it's treated, then there's a good chance to everyone makes a full recovery. I'd hate for it to be the reason it scares people off because the the risks that are involved are far outweighed by the benefits and the growth that someone is likely to get they fall in love with the game, that's the main thing. As a peri and I just want my kids to be able to fall in love with something a sport, an activity or hobby and just really really go after it. And if their kids steps Rugby for their kids, then yes there's risks involved, absolutely, but there's so much, so many benefits as.
Speaker 2: Well well said, Mate, well said, and hit Kid I think is going to have a huge, hugely positive effect. As you say, on the first seventy two hours after ahead, not mate, while I've got your Speaking of physical challenges, South Africa, the All Black's over there at the moment. You played them sixteen times I think in test matches. Were they genuinely the most physically challenging for you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, probably consistently the most physically challenging. I mean, like we had veried the early in my career. We had some really good wins over them, you know, like that, So they're not I think at the start of the games, like what the All Blacks are trying to play getting back to sort of our would call our rugby DNA, a little bit of faster tempo and trying to bring a bit of fatigue back into the game. The South Africans are like anyone to say, say, get a bit of fatigue and the physicality drops off as well. So a key, a key for us, I think, and hopefully the officials allow a free flying game one of obviously I guess the storms wasn't like that, so it didn't. It doesn't really allow the fatigue to creep in quite the same. But yeah, that physical budget at even you know, just yea perkhum and again aren't they And it's in those close quarters. You know, collectively, size does matter, so it's a good challenge. Though, like I used to love playing cert Africans, there's always this.
Speaker 2: Talk about playing at altitude as well. You know, all we've got to play at altitude. That's going to be it has to be a lot harder, Is that true?
Speaker 4: It is a lot harder. Absolutely. It's the first time you play there, I reckon that really catches you off guard because you've never experienced anything like it. You feel unfit, yeah, throats burning, and you're just wondering if you're going to be able to get through. But it's like any thing hard, once you've done it once before, been pushed through, you know what you're capable of. So I've experienced a few times both that almost quite enjoyed playing there because you knew it was going to get hard, but you knew you could push through. And it's not. Well, the South Africans are immune to outsitude either. There's only a small group of them that actually live at altitude. You know, a lot of them don't even live in South Africa these days, play there rugby in Japan or around the world. So I don't personally, I don't see it as a big, big advantage to them playing at outstude and if anything, it may allow a little bit more fatigued to creep onto the game. And that's sort of the last ten minut of each half. And you know, as all boats, we try and back ourselves and execute in those moments when keep going. So, yeah, it's hard, but as what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you were part of a lot of memorable All Blacks wins in South Africa here at World Cups, is there one performance, one All Blacks performance that sort of stands out as the blueprint for how to beat them particularly over there, perhaps.
Speaker 4: Oh, we had a lot of year. You're right, we had some really good wins and a lot of them involved. Some of them were at Alice Park, which is at altitude. We'll probably the most of the ones that stick outer at altitude actually, And same thing, you'd finished the game, or we'd have photos and the theme room of previous teams and we'd acknowledge teams that had gone before they'd finish the game, and just pure exhaustion, like guys, hands on knees, crouched over and just reminds you of how deep you have to push yourself to win there. But to your question around the blueprint, it's as if we're it's if we're able to move the ball. As you said, that bigger a little bit, bigger body. So if we can keep them, keep them moving, keep the ball in play, minds the downtime, and I think that that plays into our hands a little bit, a little bit of variation with how we play our kicking game. If the defense is coming up hard in the midfield, We've had a bit of success with some kicks in behind. So yeah, the blueprint I think, but it's relies a wee on the officials as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, you're right there, you're right there. How's everything going in Japan? You enjoying it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, it's been good. It's soft season at the moment back in New Zealand, but you head back in about three weeks to start pre season and at three and a half months of free season in the heat. But yeah, one more year on my contract over there, and we'll see we might be certainly getting closer to the end.
Speaker 2: All right, We'll keep tabs on that. I've kept you from your family for long enough. Sam, congratulations on your involvement in hit Kit. I know it's going to have a hugely positive impact on a lot of families around the country. Thanks for joining us, made always good to chat.
Speaker 4: Thanks finally, thanks for thanks for giving me on to chat about it. As you say, I think it can really do some awesome stuff and hopefully in sort of five years time, it's one of those things that's sort of up there beside the first aid kits for most families. So yeah, thanks.
Speaker 2: Mate, No, thank you, mate. Sam King joining us on News TALKSB and Weekend Sport. Hit Kit is a rapid response concussion kit developed by concussion expert Helen Tofui, designed to support the critical first seventy two hours after a head injury at any level. In the kit, there is a step by step recovery guide for days one to three, a concussion red flag checklist, an instant ice pack, a rapid absorption supplement, and a mini wound care first aid pack. All of that is in hit Kit. It's only forty bucks. I mean that's pretty good value, right, pretty good value. Hit Kit dot en z is where you find out more hit Kit dot en z. Great to have Sam Kane as an advocate. Incredible, isn't it? You just saw Helen to Foy's post about it, thought I'll just flicker a note and say congratulations, and all of a sudden, he's an ambassador and an advocate. Not a bad guy to have on doing doing that. Tam Kaine is also they're giving us the blueprint for beating the spring box. Just run them around, run those big buggers around, get them tired, induce fatigue. That's how we do it. And thankfully Daver, any strategy is based on that. Optimism has been the catch cry, hasn't it for dav Andy's All Blacks? Quick rock ball, moving it through the hands, getting it wide, finding space as Sam mentioned there, and he can perhaps do this now that he's not on the All Blacks. It does rely a little bit on the officials, and yesterday in the tu Ropena there wasn't exactly an officiating team that wanted the game to flow necessarily in that game. I think that's fair to say. Hopefully it'll be better in the Test matches, but I feel after hearing Sam Kane talk one hundred test All Black former captain talk about how you do it, and he won a lot of Test matches over there, sort I crunched the numbers on Sam Kine ahead of that interview. He played against South Africa sixteen times, won ten of them, and seven of those games he played against them were in South Africa and he won four, So he was more often a winner in South Africa than he was on the losing side. Lot more optimistic. How optimistic do you feel about this upcoming test series? Yesterday we spoke about about yesterday's game. We can touch on that but tonight at around ten o'clock. The side to face the Sharks in Durban Wednesday morning is named by Dave Rennie, so we'll have I think it will almost completely changed side. We'll find out and I think we can all pretty much name it the shadow side for these test matches. That's what he's going to put out against the Sharks in Durban on Wednesday.
Speaker 1: For more from Weekend Sport with Jason Fine, listen live to News Talk said B weekends from midday or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio