Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Sport podcast with Jason Vine from News Talks EDB. The only place for the big names, the big issues, the big controversies and the big conversations. It's all on Weekend Sports with Jason Vine and the Volkswagen Amarok v SX on Youth Talks MB your home of sport.
Speaker 2: HI thatck you're to good afternoon, Welcoming. This is the Sunday edition of Weekend Sport on News Talks NB for July twenty sixth. Happy fifty second birthday to forty two test form All Blacks prop Case Mews. What a man, Happy fifty seventh to former South African cricket star John T. Rhoades. I'm Jason Pine Show producer Annie McDonald. We're talking sport until three. As I understand it, it's a pretty grim old day in parts of the country, particularly Auckland, where this afternoon, over thirty thousand and perhaps touching forty thousand people are due at Eden Park to watch Auckland FC against Tottenham. But the sounds of it you're gonna have to rug up. I mean, wait, it won't I know, it won't dampen your enthusiasm. Would be nice if it was a nicer day, but it's a winter sport, isn't it. We'll cover that off a bit later on. Two more medals in the pool at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow this morning, eric A Fairweather and the women's two hundred free. That's two medals for her now after her silver and the four hundred free yesterday. Hazel our Hand in the women's fifty meter butterfly also picking up a bronze, and the Kiwi team, as you heard in our sports news there with Clay in the mixed one hundred freestyle relay, just stepped out on a third bronze. They were fourth, missing a medal by less than five hundredths of a second. We'll keep eyes on Commonwealth Game's action, of course, across the duration of the event in Glasgow. I'll give you some information a bit later on as to who you can look out for tonight, overnight and tomorrow morning with more medals on offer. First up today, though, Dave Rennie is going to tomorrow announce his forty four man squad to tour South Africa next month. Which players are in the running to be added to the thirty four man Nations championship squad and what does success look like on this tour. Gonna chew this over with rugby journo Ben Smith and former Springbok Kevin Putt shortly and then get your thoughts on the players you might be added, But I'm also very keen to hear from you on what would be a successful tour for you, because I've heard varying reports on this. Going to open the lines on that this out and across the afternoon. Also today Bulldogs eighteen Warriors six. That wasn't much fun last night in Sydney was it drops the Warriors out of the top two. Going to cover that off, get your thoughts on that. The Blues are super rugby opicky champions again, congratulations to them. As I mentioned, Auckland FC up against Tottenham and Eden Park this afternoon. We'll get you inside the Auckland FC camp. And one of New Zealand Motorsports brightest young prospects is back with us. You might remember us chatting to Liam Skeets at the back end of last year. He's had a very interesting eight months to be in for a chat today too. Hey Live Sport Chatham Cup quarterfinals this afternoon. The Chatham Cup is our domestic football knockout competition, of course, but like the FA Cup Fencibles b Auckland City last night three too. There are three remaining quarter finals this afternoon, Cashmere Tech against Miramar Rangers and christ Church from twelve thirty Hibiscus Coast against Napier City Rovers from one and Nelson Suburbs hosting Auckland United one thirties. So we'll keep eyes on those for you. Please join the show whenever you like. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is our phone number. Free call ninet two ninety two for your text messages. Normal charges apply. Emails into Jason at Newstalk SB dot co dot nz just gone ten pasts of mid day.
Speaker 1: The biggest names in sport are here. Weekend Sport with Jason Vine, News Talks.
Speaker 2: Mb Dave Renniewell announces forty four man squad for the greatest rivalry tour of South Africa starting in a couple of weeks Tomorrow afternoon at around three ish to look at whom my be added from the nation's championship squad of thirty four with assembled a panel. We've assembled a dynamic duo first all rugby writer with rugby pass Ben Smith, good afternoon.
Speaker 3: To you, Ben, good afternoon, and.
Speaker 2: Former spring box halfback and then elite rugby coach and vary astute rugby observer. Still Kevin Putt, how are you Putty? Yeah, good pony. All right. Let's assume guys, all thirty four from the nation's championship squad will be named it to South Africa, so we need to add ten more players. So let's approach this in some sort of logical fashion by working through position by position props. We have Ethan de Groot, George Bauersaving, Emir Tyrell Lomax, Fletcher Yule and Pasolio Tossi to Mighty Williams still not available, Ben, Who are you adding to the front row stocks or to the propping stocks for South Africa.
Speaker 3: I think we'll see probably a six' four, split so looking at six forwards fall back on the on the front. ROAD i think the group that we've got quite. Strong i'm not sure the status Of offer AND i think with, MYIA i think it could be a case of just who's healthy in the propping?
Speaker 2: Stocks, Yeah, Offer Toma, FASSI i don't know his LATEST i think he was in Contention, kevin for you as a guy Like Ollie norris who played a few tests off the bench last, year is he the most likely guy to come.
Speaker 4: In, yeah that's that that's got my name on it at the. Moment BUT i must be honest that these guys will be tested more in the midweek, game so you know you're looking at people that can come, in especially if people can play both. SIDES i, mean we've got to build our depths in. It that's the one thing that when we get To, africa you're just going to see that they've got such a depth of player in their front. ROW i, mean when they can play the world's best hooker off the bench every, week they're doing.
Speaker 2: Well, indeed See alilawacki's one Name i've heard thrown Around ben would he Be would he be in contention that the Young hurricanes.
Speaker 3: Prop, yeah he's come through the indied twenties of the last few years and then sort of broken into The cans rotation who had a very strong set piece this. SEASON i think you could see that type of young. Player As kevin, mentioned with the midweek, games there's really the additional plays is all about the midweekend and sort of preserving your starting, side trying to avoid those.
Speaker 5: Injuries so if they want.
Speaker 3: To take a young guy for, experience Then sali would be one of the top of the.
Speaker 2: List i'd, Think, okay it's got to hookers as one More Cody, Taylor Summersauny talkiah over, there they'll probably add one. More who have you got written down as the as the fourth, hooker keV, oh.
Speaker 4: It's got to Be bell as far As i'm, concerned key. Position you, know if you're going to develop, anything go with the guy who's playing the best in the country at the, MOMENT i, think AND i Think George bell will step in.
Speaker 2: There any argument from, You Ben.
Speaker 3: NO i think that's probably on the. Money he's been in there and the razor makes.
Speaker 5: SENSE i think like the.
Speaker 3: Third hooker was really a troublesome area for us last year with a stuff or, out but now that we have him, back that's probably why they haven't Seen george in. There but, yeah it makes.
Speaker 2: Sense kevin just before we move, IN i don't think he's going to be in this, squad but he could be one for the, future and he's getting a bit of chat. Around Is Eli oderan from The blues And. TASMAN i mean he won't be a ball FOR i wouldn't think on this. Tour but does he like an all black and waiting for?
Speaker 4: You, well there's a few guys that are doing, that And i've got to be. CAREFUL i nearly say it with tongue in cheek about, it because the reason there's so many potential bolters is because we don't have the depth that we've historically. Had so, yeah, this you, know his chance will come in the foreseeable. Future but THANKFULLY i Think hooker stops at the. Moment the four that we've mentioned are fairly, good but, yeah he's definitely got possibilities for the.
Speaker 2: FUTURE i Guess Brady mcallis is the other one who might be in the conversation with a couple of tests last, year But George bell seems most. LIKELY i want to group locks and loose forwards and, together so that's going to make it a little bit more. Challenging we've got Too PAUL. V Patrick tweop a lot To Josh, Lord Sam, Dowry Peter, Larkey Simon, Parker Ardie Savier, wallace A, Tit Luke, jacobson Aton, Segna fabi And holland will be. Added he got forty minutes the other day For. Otago the REASON i wanted to grip them, Together ben is because too Paul va you will probably see a lot of time on the blind side. Flank first of, all do you like him?
Speaker 3: THERE i think this is the third time that we've Seen. Tupo if you go back to That France World, cup that was the first time we saw the, blindside and Then raiser tried it again last year Against. France this one that we've just seen is probably the best performance we've seen From tupo in that six. JERSEY i am not yet sold on. It Think twupo is a world class. Lock that tour in twenty twenty. FOUR i think that was really where he made his leap up at that next. Level playing the spring box and stead for here is one of our, best if not our best. Forward SO i just, THINK i.
Speaker 5: Mean it gives you a lot of.
Speaker 3: Versatility i've been able to add an extra loose ford on the.
Speaker 5: Bench it's showing.
Speaker 3: SIGNS i still think his best position Is.
Speaker 2: Locke all, right, Well, waite and so what do you, Think? Kevin do you like him on the blind side or do you prefer him in the second row as.
Speaker 4: WELL i love the fact that he can play blindside and then move, in so you've got that versatility of some one not just from a bench but from the actual field that can do. It BUT i think that we're missing the biggest answer here Is holland coming back. In he'll go straight into the. Testing you know that that's going to be.
Speaker 5: A big boost to.
Speaker 4: US i was very concerned Playing. Ireland it didn't need to be a, concern of, course from how the game sort of panned.
Speaker 6: Out BUT i think that that is.
Speaker 4: Fantastic that's just put up the stocks in our locking group and it means that we can now start having that interesting conversation about you, know what do you do about a seven as compared to provine the boys on the side of the.
Speaker 2: Scrum all, right, well let's go into the loose, forwards because this IS i think probably one of the more competitive parts of this whole. Equation there's really strong male That, Maita pacifica And southland loose Forward samisi to Poor tela will be on the, plane big big Body. Ben would you like to see him?
Speaker 3: INCLUDED i think it would be the aspect that the ball carrying number eight with a lot of power if you look at as Super agencias and his top of top of the list when it comes to number of, carriers AND i think meet us through contact is very. High is that dominant ball carrier.
Speaker 7: And he does a lot of.
Speaker 5: Damage it's just like in a team.
Speaker 3: That doesn't have all the pieces around him and against the Abrasive South african hacks like it. Suits it's it's the kind of player you, need SO i can understand the. Thinking AND i think you'd see he would be in that midweek. Liner so, YEAH i don't see Any it would be great to see that kind of power off the back of The All blacks. Scrum and it's an interesting it's an interesting.
Speaker 2: One you mentioned seven, party have you got have you got? Deepless?
Speaker 4: Going look like this this is one of you, know we all have our, opinions but this is One whi's really going to be give clarity on where the re any era is sort of. Going because when they Selected, JACOBSON i wasn't the greatest fan none of. It they've gone, for you, know a bigger.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 4: Not necessarily positionally specific shiver as it. Worked in many ways it, worked so MAYBE i shut.
Speaker 9: Up Take TENNY A lowe on the.
Speaker 4: PLANE i would love to see apart from THE i only see one legitimate open side in that, team and you can say, Segna But i'm not convinced That Ardie, severe even though you know we're one of the best number eights in the, world is also the best. Seventh but As ben pointed, out we're looking at the midweek team for these guys going. ALONG i think it would be a nice sort of balance if you had someone Like carriffe in, there or go For casey from Down otago play seven eight massively. Athletic you know there are a few youngsters if they're going to try and blood.
Speaker 2: Someone what's your view on The Lucy's, Ben.
Speaker 3: YEAH i was the same camp With, jacobson AND i delved into it a bit around how they play and where they want the loose. SEASON i turned it That jacobson is a jack of all trades and master of, none but that that's kind of the point within the system That renie's. Got so you, SEE i, mean if you remember in the end of The French, Test jacobson's on the right sideline then providing an offload back inside and he.
Speaker 10: Went And Eden.
Speaker 5: Park you Saw tupo out in the flank a.
Speaker 3: Lot so he wants the flankers to be playing all all thirds of the park and been able to be on the edge and break. Tackles and when you look At, carriffe he's a great on ball. Specialist he's going to get your turnovers and defensively be that. Workhorse but they probably Think jacobson has that wider skill set that fits all the things that they need in that, system and then when you see it come together Against ireland and the patterns that they're, running you can kind of nod your head and, say oh you can, yep you can see that it's.
Speaker 11: WORKING i think.
Speaker 3: That's the shame Of griffy in the right system and what you what you can get out of him is special that talent over the. Ball you'll get the turnovers And i'd like to see him on that tour because even if you're looking at a bench, option where as you said two that, six you can carry two those swards at the, bench caff can get you the turnover at the end of the game that you need to snuff out the last position or something like, that and that's probably one area that we're not, getting like our ability to turnover ball is defined By Ardie severe probably at the.
Speaker 2: Moment all, right hold, there, guys we'll we'll get to the backs in a. Moment rugby writer with rugby Pass Ben smith and former spring box half Back Kevin putt with us as we look At Dave rennie's forty four man squad For South africa to be named, tomorrow twelve twenty. One back in a month.
Speaker 1: The biggest themes in Sports talk To Piney Weekend sport With Jason fyne and The volkswagen AMAROK f six on sale now from eighty nine nine ninety news.
Speaker 2: Talks there'd Be Weekend sport twelve twenty four talking all blacks and the selection of the touring squad For South africa forty four. Names writer with rugby Pass Ben smith and former spring box half Back Kevin putt with us On Weekend. Sport let's go to the backs seems appropriate to start with you for the. Nines keV one to be added probably to Cam Rouyguard cortez lat And Kyle. Preston Noah hotham is he the fourth. Guy, oh it's a no.
Speaker 4: Brainer, also we don't need to start pushing for you know who's going to take the main spot up. TOP i Mean royguard's playing some of the best. Rugby he'd be right up there with the best in the world at the. Moment so we are looking at those midweek games AND i Think hopeam probably deserves the pad on the back he. Was i'm not SAYING i actually Enjoy, preston BUT i think he'd be the next cab off the.
Speaker 2: RANK keV just On Carl. Preston were you surprised he didn't get some minutes in these three test? Matches it Was royguard, obviously But Cortez lata wore twenty one and all three test. Matches were you Surprised Kyle preston didn't get a?
Speaker 9: Crack, well, NO i don't say.
Speaker 4: That you, know these these, games they were the start Of rennie's sort OF i don't think it's his. Time it's blooding players and having little bits of. Games they've got mid week games coming. Up expect to See preston. NOW i, mean there's the fantastic opportunity where you can wear the black jersey under a little less pressure than The test match for your Starting.
Speaker 2: But let's go to. Tens Rubin, Love, Boten, Barrett damien McKenzie who of course played all Three tests at fullback and In july been no need for another. One richie mooreng we know won't be included, initially no need to add another ten and if we, did who would it? Be Josh.
Speaker 3: JACOB i am in the camp that long will be on this tour one way or another throughout, It SO i think that's the guy that will come. In, LIKE i know it's not signed off or anything like, that BUT i just still haven't feel in once he PLAYS, nbc he's, eligible like they'll find a way and the need is probably not as. GREAT i think we've got a model in place already Where bowden can't even get on the, Field so, YEAH i don't think the needs. THERE i just want to say on the, HALFBACKS i think Camroy guard is the trump card we have for this series because the last two years he's not played at the. Box he's missed the last four of. Them we're only won one from. Four he's not been healthy that only he's had twenty minutes against the box at the end of that horrible loss At. Twickenham so and since then he's become one of the world's best players and they haven't really seen them. Yet So i'm a big believer that this series has tailor made for camera regards to, Stampers mark par do you.
Speaker 2: Be there'll be music to your ear as a half bag being the main, character and they are always the main.
Speaker 9: Character it's just the perception of, you dodgy.
Speaker 3: Devils the one thing In.
Speaker 4: Africa please don't think That Russi erasmus is going to let anything go, missing you, know with his preparation and that he may not have played against the box, before but by, gosh they'll be over analyzing exactly the same as desire to have a go close.
Speaker 2: By all, right let's finish with the rest of the back line and once Again i've grouped the midfielders and back. Three we've Got Jordi, Barrett, Quinte Pie Billy, Anton Lennart, Brown Caleb clark For Finny young And, Awful Leonroy, Carter Josh morby And Will Jordan No lester Fighting. Anku he's still not available AS i, understand it's still in the moon. Boot i'd Imagine Rico yowanni will go having been called in his cover and he can cover center and. Wing who else are you Adding ben in the sort of midfield back three.
Speaker 3: Stocks i'm a Big rico. GUY i don't think a lot of people. Are BUT i think he's actually our top. CENTER i, Mean quincypi has been amazing, there SO i Mean i'm.
Speaker 5: Taking rico as a.
Speaker 3: CENTER i don't think he's a. WINGER i think that transition was made and it was a bit unfair last year having him on the wing is hung out to.
Speaker 10: Dry a bit.
Speaker 3: THERE i think what his absence has shown in parts is the defensive part of what he. Brings AND i think With Billy proctor being probably the form scenes to, rugby a super, rugby he's not starting sentence The alba's probably because of some of the defensive lapses THAT i Think rica doesn't get enough credit.
Speaker 2: For All, Right so you've Got rico going who? Else and in terms of outside, backs are you taking taking another outside?
Speaker 7: Back the status like we Know less is?
Speaker 5: Out is?
Speaker 8: He?
Speaker 2: YEAH i, Understand, YEAH i Understand he's going to be okay to. Travel so whether it's a matter if he doesn't play the first. Couple you know who's the next? Thing is It Im? Money? Nadaway is he the next Guy?
Speaker 3: Money he's had sort of like a curse all that career so. Far hasn't it like he just gets in learning as an Injury blaze obviously one of our most talented. Players if he's, Healthy i'd love to see him on this.
Speaker 2: Talk all, right what about for, You? keV who are you adding in the sort of midfield outside backs.
Speaker 4: Area, oh, LOOK i Think ben's got one hundred percent, correct the most important. Person and there is the the problem that we've actually got on The All blacks at the. Moment the worst concern we have is. Thirteen we've got some. GUYS i, mean again did exception well Against, ireland but the two games prior to that we were actually ripped in that. CHANNEL i Think rikawani is the correct person into, it not because of anything else except that he is the best center In New zealand when he plays it for The All, blacks which is a little bit. Sad there's the development area that we.
Speaker 7: Can really look at going.
Speaker 9: Forward and on the outside.
Speaker 4: Backs, look we do things Like hyde mackenzie and under the high ball in that and you would have Seen Reuben love back there taking most of the, kicks so we need another winger that's a fullback as, well just to fit in with the game plan that it seems Like i'd go for a bit of an outsider With hutchinson coming.
Speaker 2: In Isaac, hutchinson he certainly turned some heads for The chiefs as well when he was given the opportunity to so some selection. Decisions just BEFORE i let you both, go can we just look at the tour in terms of a successful, Tour, Ben i'll start with you on this. One in. TWO i mean we can look at it, metrics you, know The test. Series what is a successful tour and what else has to happen in the next couple of months for The All blacks and for the coaching staff to judge it a success outside of the series.
Speaker 3: Score, WELL i think, success this is The All blacks are talking. About success is defined by winning and they'll, be no doubt looking to win the. SERIES i think not many will be thinking that that's on the, cards BUT i, BELIEVE.
Speaker 10: I believe it's.
Speaker 3: POSSIBLE i think that the series is suited to The All blacks with the first and second test thing In Joe berg at, ALTITUDE i, think BUT i. Sortainly you, know since the Tournament millennium we've had a very good record there and i'd be targeting those. TWO i, mean we need to win the first one to win the, series but where every chance of coming away.
Speaker 5: With two to one until they all, right what about for?
Speaker 12: You?
Speaker 2: Paddy are? You are you Like i've written down here to to good? Result AM i understating? It DO i need to be a bit more? Optimistic because As ben, said this is the All.
Speaker 4: Blacks, Well ben's right that it will be judged on, success you, know the actual winning at the end of. It but IF i interpret What russy is talking about over In africa as, well they're going to be balancing up their. Squads they're not just going to be selecting their best team for four games in a. Row so really this IS i, mean what we need out of it will be. Unmeasurable it will be what's our depth In New zealand going, like because we've had queries about. It that'll be a, big big test going. Forward BUT i still agree with you it has to be a drawn series for us to say, wow.
Speaker 2: Hey we're right there with.
Speaker 4: Them anything under that.
Speaker 2: Is a, failure fascinating two months ahead squad named tomorrow and then these massive, matches both the midwek ones and the test, matches finishing with the one In. Baltimore Ben, Smith Kevin, part thank you so much for joining us this afternoon with your analysis and enjoy what happens over the next couple of. Months be. Funny thanks. Guys that's a writer with rugby Pass bensmith and former spring box Halfback Kevin part twelve thirty. Three all, right your thoughts now you've heard from those, Two what about? You, oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty ten names to be added to The nation's championship. SQUAD i think we can fairly safely assume that everybody in the thirty four man squad for The Nation's championship will be in this forty four man squad For South, africa so ten names to be. Added fabi And holland will be one of. Them he got through forty minutes For otago and The shield challenged the other. Day that ticked that box for. Him having played no super rugby at all with that shoulder injury that he suffered in pre, season he's clearly okay and in the eyes Of kevin part as you heard, there we'll go straight back into the starting fifteen over In South, africa so that's a real. Boost so he'll be. There Rico juani well almost be there, too and interesting to hear the two of them say there they think he is the number one center as. Well Rico, yowani having not been included in the initial thirty four man, squad only called in his cover didn't plan any test rugby in The nation's. Championship but we'll be in this. Squad but who else anyone in particular that you would definitely want to? See added oh eight hundred and eighty ten. Eighty the other question THAT i would like your thoughts on is this the last QUESTION i Asked ben And, kevin what would a successful tour for The All blacks look? Like and let's focus on The test series and answering. This we've got The storm Of sharks and balls to, start then the First test and The, lions Second, Test Third test and Fourth test In. Baltimore let's focus on The test. SERIES a series win feels like a really raally big, ask especially over. THERE i Know baltimore is neutral territory for The Fourth. Test but even if The All blacks were to win, there in order to win the, series they would still need to win two of the first Three tests in the cauldrons Of Alice, Park Cape town and Then Soccer. City as it's, known that is going to be, very very very tough to win two of those. Three South africa have won five of the last six AGAINST. Us our salt victory in that time was At Eden park Last september when The All blacks defended The. Fortress that, game of, course was immediately followed by The marling And. Wellington we actually haven't Played South africa In South africa very much at all in recent. Years twice in twenty twenty, four two narrow, losses twice in twenty twenty, two a pretty limpold twenty six ten, defeat followed by a thirty five twenty three win At Alice park that effectively Saved Igan foster's. Job before, that you have to go back to twenty eighteen for the last time we Played test rugby over. There so there's no real significant body of recent work to compare it against Playing South africa In South. Africa much as this is The All blacks and we should demand and do demand very very high. STANDARDS i think Given Dave rennie's recent arrival As All blacks coach And South africa's phenomenal form in the last couple of, years a squared series for me would be a very good. Result if we can win to with the FOUR i think you'd be pretty. Happy As kevin said, there if it's less than, that then it would be considered a. Failure some, People i'm sure will think that two to two is perhaps not what we're. After but adding all of the factors in where we are in The Rugby World cup, cycle where we are And Dave andy's coaching, cycle and how Good South africa have been in recent, times if we're talking after The Baltimore test on the twelfth Of september and we've squared the, series Then i'd be pretty. Happy oh eight hundred and eighty ten Eighty Hello, john how you doing very? Good thank?
Speaker 13: You john made of full disclosure and know so much about about rug about. RUGBY i just wanted to throw five cents in About Richie. MUNGER i think he'll he'll. GO i think Then dave when he will Do Wayne smith and put him in the management team as a.
Speaker 2: Refuse he'll be part of the he'll be part of the wider traveling. Group you, Reckon, John i'd.
Speaker 13: Work For Wayne smith And cannary back in the day With kilbert And. Oka so long As Richie muanger takes massa well and not peanut, oil Which gilbert And oka went out and got back in the.
Speaker 2: DAY i THINK i want to heard that. Story, look you know the stance on. It you've heard This, john the stance on it's pretty. Clear he. Can't he can't play for The All blacks till he PLAYS. Npc so he's going to play N pc For. Canterbury. Look the other part of it is also is somebody's going to get. Injured right in a forty four man, squad somebody is going to get. Injured AND i kind of wonder if, if like, say a front rower goes down like An Ethan dagruz or A Tyrell. Lomax i'm just picking names out, here would they replace that front rower with the first? Five they? Might they.
Speaker 13: Might you never, Know you never know your luck in the big. City the other things for. Miners that the interesting thing for melb you, KNOW i, MEAN i think they.
Speaker 14: The boys really.
Speaker 13: They reached the PEEK i guess out of a small game begins, Silence BUT i think. SO i think you can treat, differently especially over. There so either, way Whether richie's a mass or, not it'll be it'll be a good it'll be a good good watching.
Speaker 2: Good, Man. JOHN i appreciate your call, mate and your expertise and your experience around the missous side of. Things peanut. Oil, yea you wouldn't want any of that, rubbedon do? You would you good to hear from you mate our eight hundred and eighty ten Eighty. YEAH i think we're all across The Richie muwonga situation in terms of What New Zealand rugby have. Said in, Fact Steve LANCASTER ceo basically announced that on this show a couple of months, ago said we will not be Selecting Richie mwonga until he has PLAYED. Mpc, therefore with the squad being named tomorrow in THE npc not starting until next, weekend he will not be. Named so in the forty four names, Tomorrow richie And wogan will not be. There unless there is a MASSIVE u, turn a, huge HUGE u, turn he will not be. Named but if there was to be an injury on this. Tour once he's played IN, pc he is able to be called In AND i was perhaps a little bit, facetious AND i Think Dave roonnie even made this point when he was asked about, it where that injury replacements have to be like for like because history will tell you that there's no way in the world all forty four of these players will go through a tour Of South africa like this without an injury or injuries. Plural but if an injury replacement is, needed is an incumbent On dave Ver rennie to bring in a like for LIKE i think for his game plan it would be front row is probably the wrong example because if you lose a front rower you need to bring in another front. Rower but, if for, example he was to lose an outside, back let's just, say would he be on the phone To Richie wonga at that? Point THAT i think is the big question. Here will Play All blacks rugby again? Soon if it's not on this, tour THEN i think you'll be absolutely a very very high consideration for The test matches Against australia In october In auckland and In, sydney and then the end of year, tour the back end of The Nation's Championship, Scotland wales And, england and then any finals match that might. Follow so he's going to be there AND i think we need to. Panic but it'll be so interesting to see what happens at the first when the first injury happens In South. Africa if it's not to a first, five then the replacement who's called in will be very very interesting to. Observe, Hello, ellen how are you?
Speaker 5: Piney?
Speaker 2: Great Thanks, ellen good to hear from, you matee.
Speaker 15: Yep hey look to be fair for, me if The All blacks took one match out of the spring box In South, Africa i'd be ecstatic Because i'm just conscious this is a whole new a whole new team Under. Dave he's only had three matches with, them and that team's been Under razzi for. Forever so you, know, One i'd take, it and if they got the second one In, Baltimore i'd be.
Speaker 2: Ecstatic, yeah, all AND i think that's a scenario which may well. Happen so if we if after the Third test In johannesburg we're two to one down heading To baltimore for the Fourth. TEST i don't Think i'd be unhappy with that because the two to two series result would still be. Alive the other part of, this of, course, mate is is how they play over. There that's going to be a big part of how happy we are.
Speaker 9: Too, yep.
Speaker 6: Yep and that's.
Speaker 15: IT i mean the, pundits you'll have the die hards who they'll only accept the. Win but it's like if they just keep improving on where they've, got because let's be, HONEST i did not expect them to do what they did to The irish last. Week you, know that was just bloody. Fantastic i'm glad to say.
Speaker 5: That.
Speaker 2: Absolutely that's that's low, End, allen that's low. End don't go any, higher. Mate we can we can.
Speaker 15: Football so we'll stay out of.
Speaker 2: There it'll be a different. Story good, One, allen thanks for, calling and make carback any. TIME i agree With. Alan if we play well and yet are two one down after the second or after the Third test In South, africa then and go To baltimore with with a two to two series results still on the, Table i'd be. HAPPY i know that is that's probably a little bit Un All black supporter rush of me but in the overall context of all of, THIS i think where we are and where they are two two's not. Bad seventeen to. One, mark hold there with you after this. Spearline if you want to talk all blacks eight hundred and eighty eighty back in a mile One Weekend Sport.
Speaker 1: Year On matters In Sports Weekend sports With Jason vine and The Volkswagen Amarok Vsex Uncompromised Capability Premium Comfort news TALKS.
Speaker 2: V thirteen to. One rex's Pony oricon loves playing better than W. Warner, look it's going to be head to head between those. TWO i fully believe. It And Reuben love's got, incumbency hasn't? He so he's got the. Chance he's got the jersey possessions nine tenths of. It as they, say those two will go ahead to. Head i've got no doubt about.
Speaker 16: It, mark GET i, Mate, okay, Poney i'm coming off a long run, here mate On, mark go on. Me we are not bringing any world participation cup mentality to this cast scattered ahead of Us New. Zealand we are going up Against africa In. Africa we got to bring the mentality that we've always bought and bought.
Speaker 10: For fourhands and fifty six and ninety six and twenty twenty.
Speaker 15: Six it's about the, props all.
Speaker 16: Right it is about the front.
Speaker 9: Row it is about the beasts that hold this thing.
Speaker 16: Together africa has always pulled a trick when it comes to something in the front. Row they'll do it, again be. Guaranteed we have to be, Prepared we have to be. Ready we have to be prepared for the seventh ninth prop named to take the field in the Third. Test and don't speak to.
Speaker 7: Me the Word.
Speaker 16: BALTIMORE i don't want to hear About. Baltimore some thing in the middlest end of, season piss up party. Garbage this is About. Africa there are three. Tests we're gonna take two of, them then we're gonna celebrate at the. Final look two or nothing know of this one h. Two we've got three tests. Here we've got to take him up front the first. One make him remember why we're were in a bloody black. Jersey, right no, retreat no. SURRENDER i Love.
Speaker 2: Mark i'm gonna call You Mark andnoka motivational, speaker long. RUN i feel myself being a b told off a bit in, there and rightly So mark, Rightly, so, YES i need to lift my STANDARDSN'T. I this is the All blacks we're talking. About great to hear from, you, mate call back often during the tour SO i can hear more of this wonderful stuff from you Another.
Speaker 6: MARK i, Mate, yeah then they how to follow that one quite high and. ENERGY i would have put Aj lamb in my. SQUAD i also would have Put David, harvedi but he's obviously. GONE i think we need rich to See Richie mulwana In. Africa we need to see what the future of The World cup holds and to see whether he's still GOT i mean it seems that an age SINCE i, MEAN i know he's been playing overseas and obviously doing pretty, well but you know you've got to basically see whether he's up to that same level.
Speaker 2: Again to, me, Yeah i'm curious to find out everything you hear about him playing In. Japan mark suggests that he, is And Dave rennie's obviously had a close up view of him from coaching up there against, him so he'll know better than anybody what sort of Shape richie more onners in having said that playing in you, know with all due respect to That japanese, league which has got a lot. Stronger it ain't test.
Speaker 6: Rugby, yeah and for. Success for, me it's just how we play and if we give ourselves a chance to win the, games THEN i think that's that that would be.
Speaker 7: Taken as a.
Speaker 6: Positive if if they completely flog us and sort of and we in our players in every, aspect then we're going to be looking in some deep trouble. THERE i don't think that's going to be the. Case and to me it's it's also a chance to develop the, squad to develop the. Style and another Thing i'll be looking at is how we how what innovations we sort of come up, with and how we deal With russy's bomb. Squad you, KNOW i don't think we did deal with that very. Well and the opportunity That russi has as he showed Them, wellington is he hears a chance to play a completely different squad week to. Week you, know they don't redrop any quality which probably we can't field at the. Moment we probably could put together a pretty good back, climb but, YEAH i mean you've also got to Remember africa has like sixty million people and they have the same passion for rugby as, us so they've got a hell of a lot more depth coming through all the, time you. Know SO i think we've got to remember that even though we've sort of Dominated South africa in the, past we've also got to look at what they sort of have to offer as well and be realistic about what we can. Do but at the end of the, day we can only put Fifteenth they can only put fifteen players on the field like us at one.
Speaker 2: Time, indeed, yeah no good. Points WHAT i made is always mark and, look they are the benchmark at the. MOMENT i don't think there's any argument about. That they can put a couple of different teams out and it doesn't. Matter what doesn't seem to, matter certainly not against teams like they've been playing, recently you, know in The Nation's. Championship it doesn't seem to matter which fifteen or which twenty Three Rassi erasmus. Names they are a formidable, opponent which is WHY i think this is a right time for us to be going. There you, know we'll find, OUT i, mean one way or the, Other we're going to find out where we are in relation to, them aren't.
Speaker 6: We, oh it's absolutely quite, exciting you, know as a sports saying for it to come up and sort of, YEAH i don't know what time the. GAMES i think it's about one or three in the, morning BUT i think they'll stay up and watch them BECAUSE i mean to, me this is probably you, know just about as exciting as The Rugby World cup, really BECAUSE i mean it's probably a bigger challenge in some ways to go over there and play them on their own.
Speaker 2: Too, Agree, Agree, mark good on your, Mate, well, yeah you stock up on the coffee made. It they are three am kickoffs The South African games, Anyway baltimore's a nine am so that's a bit more. Civilized but, yeah the Three test matches In South africa or kickoff at three O'clock New zealand. Time Either away from One News.
Speaker 1: Talks when there's a line, call it's your. Call Weekend sport With Jason. Fine News TALKS vy five to.
Speaker 2: One we're up against The news at. One BUT i want to keep this conversation going after one o'clock because a number of people in trying to get through haven't been able to AND I i am very keen to read your pulse on this and we'll do it over the next couple of weeks as, well and once the team gets To South. Africa but what is a good result over, There. Pinety they'd be bonkers if they left to Plas codifi behind for this test, series Says. CHRIS i think you'll probably Go Chris scott. Says two huge problems we. Have we need to compete in the scrums and at the. Breakdown we need turnovers at crucial. TIMES a special at seven dup plus e cofee as a man and Also Tava tava nawa in the, backs Says. Scott, yeah AS i said, before there's massive mail around around a couple of, players and there seems to be a bit of doubt about where du plus ecalif he fits into. THIS i just think you know he is a specialist. Seven and there's been a lot of chat about versatility in the loose forwards Under Dave. Rennie in fact all of them really can play more than one. Position but As ben And kevin, said you're adding, people you know in large part for the midweek games as. WELL i just you can't tell me the duplusk isn't among the top seven or eight loose forwards In New, zealand SO i think he'll be there takes from. Us let's, see come, On, piney you're you're the All black, standards you're All black standards of. Lowered we expect to win every. GAME i hope we. Do Mus more after one.
Speaker 1: The only place to discuss the biggest sports issues on head off the, field better store or. Not it's all On Weekend sports With Jason vine and The volkswagen AMAROK F sx On News TALKS.
Speaker 5: Mb you're home Of sport one.
Speaker 2: Seven this Is Weekend sport On News. Talks thereb, On Jason, Pine andy McDonald producing the. Show we're here tall. Three you're going to continue talking All blacks because we've got quite a bit of uptake on that last hour and a number of callers couldn't get on the, Air so keen to explore this just a couple of weeks out and before the squad's named, tomorrow just around your, expectations your, hopes your, dreams your. Aspirations, ideally of, course we want to win every test we. Play it feels, unlikely doesn't it that we're going to go To South africa and win three tests over there and then the one In. Baltimore look if we did that would BE i, mean absolutely remarkable. Stuff let's just say that you know you had the opportunity now to take a serious. Result IF i offered you to, too right, now would you take? It, oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty our number nine two ninety two for your. Text mahindra has sent an email just wondering if you guys had given thought to the. Box forty three nil went Over wales. RECENTLY i mentioned months ago the ecosystem That rassi has built to plumb depth and breadth of. Talent so here we are four debutants two under twenty forty three nil against A tier one international. Team The Junior box have won back to Back World under twenty. Titles the interchangeability of players is. Amazing their scrummaging makes other teams look like they're trying to reverse. Parks As mahendra As i noted Earlier South africa's population sixty five, Million he says a core toughness born and forged and, slums, apartheid, poverty state, violence et. CETERA a toughness way way beyond muscles toned in a gym and buffed up Posters mahandra. Finishes What rassi has built and established over the last few years is astonishing and he has no other rugby codes to fragment his. Talent mahendra good, email thanks. Mate jason At newstalk saidb dot co dot nz is the email. Address lots of text to get, to but let's get back to the. Phones Cane, hi, mate.
Speaker 10: Hie here Poiney, NO i want to win. IT i will not take the two order or we're going to go With you're going to win, it, Mate that's what we're going to do because that's what we were. About you, know.
Speaker 2: That's you're, right that's what we're about. With you, know The All blacks go out to win every Single test. Match and, look the optimist in, me And i'm a bit of an eternal, optimist, says, yes we can go over there and win the. Series but the cold hard facts of it all are that we're not favorite to do.
Speaker 10: That, Yes and do you remember what happened twenty four years ago in two thousand and. Two In august two thousand and, two A South africa kin then. Attacked he Attacked Finy Difity Irishman David hugh mceugh remember, THAT i.
Speaker 5: DO i remember it.
Speaker 2: WELL i remember it. WELL i think his name was something Van zeal or something like.
Speaker 10: That Peter vanie, Mate, yeah And. Richie richie came to his, rescue the ref's. Rescue but my point, is imagine the pressure the ref's going to be under, made you, know just especially if we bounced out to a one or drawn we come to the third test and it come down to a vital decision and a third test that reskin. Games he's going to have sixty thousand. Screaming peter Van ziel's watching.
Speaker 7: Him.
Speaker 10: BOY i, HOPE i hope we don't get A french. Reef that's All i'm hoping. For if we get A french Ref oh, man.
Speaker 2: Jeez i've actually been. ASKED a couple Of texas have asked who the referees are for the. SERIES i don't know that they've been appointed. Yet and he's going to get onto. IT i haven't asked him, yet but presumably he. Will he normally has his e S prac capit things like.
Speaker 3: This we'll.
Speaker 2: See we can find who the referees are for these these, tests if they have in fact been. Named, yeah, look it must be hardey going To Alice, park going To Cape, town going To Soccer city and having you, know just such a huge home crowd baying for. You you hope that they'll be strong enough to remain, impartial And i'm sure they, will, yes.
Speaker 10: Hope so, mate do you Remember i'm thinking, now why didn't they do this for the twenty fifteen Or blecks that had an eighty five percent winning? RECORD i, mean why do they wait till with the All blecks has sort of round about the seventy seven when he. Record but STILL i still think we can go with it and beat them three, one, mate without a.
Speaker 2: Doubt all, right good on, you, Mate, LOOK i hope you're. RIGHT i would love to see. IT i think we're all All blacks fans. HERE i know we have a good segment Of South african listeners as. Well in in, fact just on, That i'd love to hear from a couple of. You if you are A South african living here In New, zealand how are you feeling about all of? This you would have. Enjoyed i'm sure what happened last year In. Wellington i've been trying to strike that from my. Memory in a few months since So South african, fans are you as confident as as your you, know the majority of the country men seem to be Everything i've seen From South african fans And i've had a bit of a look online and that sort of, thing as they fully believe and probably rightly, so that they're going to win this series and win it. Comfortably is that how you're feeling about? It, oh eight hundred and eighty ten, eighty we'd love to hear from, You. Peggy, Hi, yeah how are you?
Speaker 10: Doing very?
Speaker 2: Good thank, You Peter.
Speaker 14: Old South africans are not. Sure it's, confidence let's put it that, Way And i'd say that they.
Speaker 3: Did they.
Speaker 14: Did they have a little bit to be confident. About there's quite an aura about the, team and much the same way as there is an aura about The orblecks in twenty. Fifteen but you've got to wonder are they letting the aura feed the team or are they building the team to feed the.
Speaker 16: Aura that's a.
Speaker 2: Very good, Question. HEATHER i think the, yeah the aura. Builds, well my gut reaction is an aura builds around the. Team so once you start winning matches in the fashion that they, are this aura creates, itself just like The All blacks teams that you've referenced and the ones you know immediately after twenty fifteen that were really good sides, too that won all of those matches in a. ROW i think you get to a point where your play a team like that and, think, man how are we going to beat these?
Speaker 14: Guys, yeah but then there's also the problem with if you've got an aura building around a team and a core of, players there's always a temptation as a coach to just hold on to those players maybe slightly past THE us by. Day AND i think that might have happened with The orbacks in twenty. Nineteen we didn't refresh quickly enough or or early. Enough And i'm just, wondering when you look at a lot of the very familiar names in the Spring box, squad if they might be guilty of possibly going down that.
Speaker 2: PATH i hope so from An All BLACK i, hope, So, peter don't we?
Speaker 17: All don't we?
Speaker 14: ALL i, mean you, know, yeah they've got a couple of you, know absolutely champion. Locks they've got a couple of young turns coming. Up i've seen some of the stats on these, guys are you, know six foot eight and one hundred and forty five kgs a PCs And i'm, thinking my, goodness no wonder their props are on steroids and they lift those. Guys but you, know it's it's, yeah it's going to be interesting to see how that that pathway progresses and the other. Factors of, course you don't have to play your rugby In South africa to represent the spring box.
Speaker 2: Anymore, no that that has been brought to a lot of people's. Attention, Peter you're, right AND i guess the obvious follow on from that is should we could we do we need to follow? Suit, look you, Know i'm not sure that's a discussion for, today but you're. RIGHT i mean it doesn't seem to have affected their national team of. Anything it's enhanced.
Speaker 14: It, yeah well that's the other situation everybody's talking. About the, REPS i mean gets so Many, well in, fact you, know most of The South africans now playing The arabia in the north of the, hemisphere and to be fair to, say they do ref the game a little bit different north of the equator than they do down. Here so it depends what hemisphere the rest come. From could be a factor in how the game goes and who gets an advantage from.
Speaker 2: There just before you, Go, peter HAVE i offered you to to? Today would you take it a too aall series?
Speaker 15: Draw?
Speaker 14: No, no my blood's too black for.
Speaker 15: That.
Speaker 14: NO i want to beat them every possible CHANCE i. Can so it's going to be anders in to see how it. GOES i, Reckon rennie's gonna basically treat this whole tour as a practice run for The World. Cup treat the week games as the pool matches against, minnows and then try to keep the powder dry develop the team for the big games at the.
Speaker 2: End great, Observation, peter great. OBSERVATION i think you might be onto something there because the way the tour is. Structured you're exactly. Right that's what it looks like we've. Got we've got the storm of sharks and balls first before the First, test then The. Lions so, yeah if you treat that sort of first four match blocks as pol, matches then there's The lions, game and then three more big test. Matches that does correlate nicely into A World cup, rehearsal doesn't? It three, tough tough test matches at the back. End of a tournament to win The World. Cup what better prep could there? Be god on your hope to speak to you often during this, tour, Mate, oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is our? Number why would you? Take Richie muonga says this text when you have up and come first fives Like Cam miller And Josh. JACOB i think the reason is because it is going to Be august of twenty twenty, six Not august of twenty twenty. FOUR i think if you're looking to develop, players you do that at the start of A World cup, cycle not when there's fifteen months to go until That World. Cup AND i Know Dave rennie's hands are tied because he's only just taken the team, over BUT i think everything that we do now inside The All blacks has to be through the filter of The Rugby World cup next. Year, yes this is a massive tour and of, itself and you want to try and win all of these test matches as, Well but in terms of developing players and blooding. Players, look there's obviously been a couple That Dave rennie has, introduced and think more than a couple over the first three test matches of this. Year BUT i don't think there's anybody anybody on this. Tour i'll put it this. Way the forty four players who get named, TOMORROW i think The World cup squad next year will be drawn from those forty, four with a couple of injury. Exceptions And Richie, MWONGA i don't think anybody's going to bolt into the team In Super rugby next. Year AS i say, this AND i mentioned a couple of. Injuries Caleb tungetaw might be one who. Does if he can recover from his latest injury and have a really Good Super rugby season next, year he. Might BUT i think the forty four that are named tomorrow will will be the base from which The World cup squad has picked because we only have fifteen, months only a limited, time And Dave reenie has to make the most of all of that. Time, whereas And i'm not telling you anything you don't already, know when a coach takes over at the start of A World cup, cycle he's got four years to get things in, order and it can use the first couple of those years to try things, out to blood some new, players to look at different. Combinations Dave rennie doesn't have that. Luxury great call From. Peter treat this like A World cup dress. Rehearsal treat this tool like, that because it's going to be as tough as.
Speaker 9: That, Hey, brent, hey maybe here you.
Speaker 2: Go very, Good, brent thank.
Speaker 18: You.
Speaker 19: YEAH i think three one to, them AND i was still. Happy i'm just worry about our, boards where like the guy's going on about how they got huge men and all that in our. POPS i don't, know you, Know i'll get. It i'm worried about those early. Games they might try and need him to smash us up a little. Bit Maybe i'm, wrong but we might have too much taste and too much power for those other. Teams BUT i didn't see them smashing us. Up and then that's when we get to The test's going to be four hard test against. Them it's going to be so bloody. AWKWARD i, mean So i'm looking another. Angle i'm just thinking that our top players like this to put them a wake up called one and like, yes knocked. Over LIKE i said the other, day you're going to get some injories and there'll be the three start well going for us from the. Minute i'm guessing that's what's going to happen and three, One i'd be happy with. That and thing coming up next Year World, Cup, yes that's, enough that's WHAT i.
Speaker 2: Think i'd only be happy with three one brand if we can look at it in the hindsight at the back end of next year and we've won The World, cup you, know three to. ONE i think against any any opposition a three to one series, loss even if it Is South, Africa look it could be three. One that's one possible. Outcome, OBVIOUSLY i think if we were to lose three to, one would say that's really disappointing because we expect The All blacks to be very competitive in Every test that they. Play they may well be and still lose lose three to. One just on your point about the early, GAMES i Heard davenny say that not only is he's got he's got his forty, four but he's got us matched a twenty three for the first four games of this Tour, Stormers, Sharks balls and the First. Test so clearly he's on top of what he wants in terms of getting minutes into these, guys but also making sure that they're not too beaten up by the time The test matches. Arrive So i'd be very very interesting to see what he does in terms of.
Speaker 7: Selection, oh that's that's.
Speaker 19: GOOD i, HOPE i hope that's to. Plans But i'll just worry about. THAT i just want to talk about The. Blues the woman's what a. Game that was Phenomenal and any time of team to go down the stadium and when, there it's pretty. Impressive.
Speaker 2: OH i thought it was a terrific game as, Well. BRENT i don't have ANY i don't support either of the two. TEAMS i just watched AS i watched it as a neutral super rugby. Opick he's got this habit of producing Magnificent grand finals and yesterday was another. One and, yeah for The blues to go down there right at the end when it's twenty, one all twenty, one all right at the, end and they get a, penalty they get a, penalty they get they get a penalty you know in a very kickable person which would have given them the. Win AND i CAN'T i can't remember who it. Was took a quick tap and you, know what are you? Doing why are you doing? That why would you just take the take the three points and win the game that? Way but as it turned out it was, Okay so, yeah a very exciting. Game and well under The, blues that's three in a. Row that's that's some dynasty their.
Speaker 6: Building so that's the first.
Speaker 19: Game that any team was actually lost down there to a touring team or team because The crusaders have.
Speaker 7: Lost The.
Speaker 19: Gills have finally lost THE us down, there and they down there very very very easily and smashed.
Speaker 2: Us got on your. Bent, yeah, no, first you're, right first time my home team's lost their good crowd, too really good crowd there. Yesterday congratulations to The blues betting butter two in the in the final. Yesterday you LIKE i say, that but at the, end if that's gone the other, WAY i don't know who it was who took the quick, Tap but like time's, up times, up it's the score scores a, Level blues are given a, penalty like to, say in a really kickable, position it's only got just off to the right of the. Posts and INSTEAD i don't know who it was who made the decision the split second spur of the moment decision to take a, tap but they, did and initially they were held up until the ball got spun wide To caitlin call of and she scored the winning. Try but, MAN i thought to myself, afterwards what if it hadn't turned out that? Way what if what If matatu had held out and then gone down and won. It what would the repercussions around that decision have? Been, Anyway thankfully we didn't have to worry too much about that. One twenty three were going to just get through a few texts before we move. On piece's. Party who's the? Possibility they named forty three tomorrow and then after two or three games they Pulled Richie, moonger AND i guess they could never say. Never we're told they're going to name forty five tomorrow and we've been told also That richie's not in that, Squad so, YEAH i think it'll be it'll be an injury. Situation shane, says, finally unfortunate to be going To South africa for the three. Tests, ma'am what a trip that'll, Be. Shane i'm hoping for a two to one. Result if, not THEN i don't want The All blacks to die. Wondering we need to make Sure South africa has something to worry about next. Year Thanks, shane have a great. Trip what a. Trip that'll be three massive test matches over. There this one Says Jason ford deal To South, africa but The All blacks make The Nation's cup final Against South, africa where The All blacks will. Win the only little floor in that plan is That South africa and The All blacks can't play one another in The Nation's championship final because they're both in the same. Pool so it's the top of our pall against the top of the other. Pool so we can't play each other unfortunately in The Nation's cup. Final what in the world makes you think riche more and will defeat the? BOX a team of champions is not. Good we need a champion team and the current team that Beat island has one such. Team, look, YEAH i don't THINK i said That Richie moonger is going to be the magic bullet. HERE i Think Ruben love is playing tremendous rugby at number. Ten but what do they, say iron sharpened z. Iion that seems to be one of the catchphrases at the moment that you want the best players competing for positions down the. Years that's what one of the things that's made The All black so. Strong competition for places excellence in all. POSITIONS i Think Ruben love would, say bring it. On i've got the jersey at the. Moment you want to get, it come and get. It put some pressure on. Me one twenty. Five thanks for your, calls your, correspondence. Etc on the. Rugby just before we, Move i'm going to talk The warriors after. Two we're going to do it after, one BUT i just wanted to carry on the rugby. Conversation So warriors after? Two is this The warrior is? Year last night put a bit of a dent in. That at the very, least, though you could be seeing out the rest of THE nrl season and a brand new one New Zealand warriors. Jersey we've got one to give away in order to be and to win. It go To instagram and look for News TALK Zedb sport On. Instagram not News TALKS, Edb News TALKS Edb Sport News TALKS vb is a very Good instagram page as, well but we need you on the News TALKS Heb Sport instagram. Page follow the page and then like and comment on the pinned post there with The warriors jersey on, it and you're into one up the wise go To News. Talks heb sport On instagram and you'll find the latest sport content direct to your feed there as. Well one twenty six let's take a, break come back and talk some. Football AUCKLAND fc Against tottenham this. Afternoon AUCKLAND fc have Signed Aaron, kelver who's a long TIME a league. Player he played ten years in THE A league and has spent the last few years playing In. Asia he got back just in time to be included in the squad to take On tottenham this. Afternoon Aaron, kelver brand New AUCKLAND fc, player is with us when we come.
Speaker 5: Back no hydration breaks.
Speaker 1: Here Weekend sport With Jason vine and Of Volkswagen AMAROK v Sex power And comfort combined on sale Now News.
Speaker 2: Talks envy one. Nine this, Afternoon AUCKLAND fc take On Tottenham hotspur At Eden. Park i'm Told i'm not In auckland at the. Moment i'm In, wellington where actually the sun is starting to make an. APPEARANCE i don't mean to, boast but apparently it's appalling In. Auckland the weather is quite. Something can you just text confirmation of that if you're in The auckland area in, particular if you're heading off to this. Game nine two nine two is our. Number just give us the give the rest of us just the benefit of your of your weather. Articulation be great if you, could you, know be as creative as you like as to what the weather is like In auckland at the, moment because by the sounds of, IT i ain't too. Flash hopefully it'll clear by three When auckland F c take On tottenham At Eden. Park big crowd in coming, anyway it won't keep the hardy football fans. Away a little bit of rain and cold, weather but let us know what it's. Like on nine two ninety, two ahead of this, Game AUCKLAND fc signed experienced Defender Aaron. Kelver he's previously spent a decade playing in THE A, league seven seasons At SYDNEY, fc time With Western united And Perth glory as. Well, then he had four years In South, korea playing nearly seventy matches across THE K league top flight and second tier, competitions including winning THE K league two championship with GUNS. Ufc in twenty twenty, two he Joins auckland F c From Victorian National Premier league Side Hume. City they play in The Victorian State. League he's arrived just in time to Face tottenham this. AFTERNOON i caught up With Aaron kelver On friday and asked him if the link With AUCKLAND fc came through current director of football at the, Club terry, mcflynn Who Aaron kelver played two seasons with AT sydneyfc earlier in his. Career.
Speaker 5: Yeah funny, enough it was a long time.
Speaker 18: AGO i played with him, now but, Yeah i've Known terry for years and we stayed in. Touch so, yeah when he kind of reached out well about a week, ago, now it's definitely a no. Brainer so Now i'm stoked to be here and it's so, far so.
Speaker 2: Good, yeah personal connections are one, thing But i'm sure he would have had to sell the club to. You what sort of things did he say and what was it About AUCKLAND fc that was appealing to?
Speaker 18: You, yeah he just, well the club kind of sells itself and the success they've had right from the. Start so, yeah he just, said, look you want to come, over it would be a good chance for you to get, back get back, professional and, YEAH i jumped at the. OPPORTUNITY i still feel Like i've got plenty to, Offer so here we.
Speaker 2: Are, yeah, well you won a league premierships in a championship With SYDNEY fc during your time. There how driven are you to well have to get back in THE A league obviously and to repeat that success and the success That aukland LEFT c have already. Had how keen are you to get on board with this?
Speaker 5: Team? Yeah, ABSOLUTELY i couldn't be more, keen to be.
Speaker 18: HONEST i had kind of a couple of months there in the wilderness AFTER i came back From korea WHERE i just went and played some games down in THE, mpl which was probably really. GOOD i hadn't had a consistent run of games like that over in career in my last, year so, yeah it's good to be fully, fit playing and.
Speaker 5: Everything So i'd definitely love to win something here. Again it'd be.
Speaker 2: Great it's been a while since we saw in THE A. League we remember, you AS i, say during your time With SYDNEY fc And Western United Perth. Glory how do you reflect on your time up In?
Speaker 5: Asia, yeah it was.
Speaker 18: Unreal it's definitely a challenge in its own, right but it was great to go and test myself at pretty high levels of. Football, Yeah LIKE i, said it doesn't always pan out the way you, want BUT i had an overall pretty successful time. There so it's probably the last year of my. Contract so, YEAH i was unreal experience and YEAH i learned a. Lot but it's good to be.
Speaker 2: Home you're still only, thirty but you've accumulated a lot of. EXPERIENCE i remember your debut For SYDNEY. FC i think before you even turn, seventeen one of the youngest players ever to play for the Sky. Blues so with all of that experience you've, gathered how does that sort of come out on the way you? Play how do you bring that experience to beer when you play your?
Speaker 5: FOOTBALL i think just a leadership on the.
Speaker 18: PITCH i Think i'm pretty calm and composed compared to maybe WHEN i was a younger. Kid, yeah you just learn along the way and HOPEFULLY i can guide some of these younger defenders that we have around. Me so, yeah nothing too, extravagant but, YEAH i think that just happens as you accumulate years as a.
Speaker 2: PRO i think have the first few days With auckland Been has it been an easy place to settle?
Speaker 5: Into, yeah very.
Speaker 18: Easy have my first training session this, morning so gave me a day to settle off the plane and, everything which is. Good so another training session in front of, that straight into the game On sunday Against.
Speaker 2: Tottingham you know, That SO i want to talk about that in a. Seek but in terms of others around the, club as you, mentioned you Know, terry but what about the plane. Group is there anybody you've you've you've come across before or are familiar.
Speaker 18: With i'm familiar With Ollie, Big Ollie sail just kind of throughout the years if we've known each, other never played with each, other but.
Speaker 5: Hung out a few times outside of. Football but, yeah that's that's about.
Speaker 18: IT i think a lot of the boys are younger And i've been away for quite some time, now so, Yeah i'm sure they're all really nice, guys so it'd be good good to get in with, them.
Speaker 2: You, know spending time With Oli sale off the, field that would never be a. CHORE i would. Imagine that's a good life to show you Around. Norkland i'm not sure you want to take up take up better, off but, yeah good to.
Speaker 5: Know you're a bit, older a bit older, now so it might just be a but more.
Speaker 2: Sensible i'm not sure About, allie BUT i guess you'll find. Out Hume city in the in The VICTORIAN mpl this, year they're, Going they're going great Up sickond on the. LADDER i was it hard to sort of, say, Hey I'm i'm.
Speaker 20: Leaving, yeah it was like we've had a had a really good year there with a really good group of lards and a great. COACH i always told him at the start WHEN i, signed like it was kind of the end goal to get to get back to WHERE i wanted to.
Speaker 5: Be but you, know you take you take every moment as it. Comes SO i. WAS i was. Happy they're playing with a good group of lards and we played some nice.
Speaker 18: Football So i'm thankful they all understood and they don't hold. RESENT i hope for me leaving, now but, Yeah i'll follow them right to the end of this season and hopefully they can pick up a trophy which would be great for the.
Speaker 2: Club and you alluded to it. BEFORE i, mean not many players get to make their debut for any team against A Premier league. Side how are you feeling about Facing tottenham in front of forty odd thousand people On.
Speaker 18: Sunday, yeah it'll be, unreal be a, great great, Experience. TURE i need to step step up the pace a little bit compared to What i've been, playing but, yeah it's any footballers dream to play these kind of, Games so, Yeah i'm.
Speaker 5: Mistaked do you.
Speaker 2: Feel like it's a good, chance and not that you need one, necessarily but does it feel like a good chance for you to make a good first impression with, them with your team mates and also with the clubs?
Speaker 5: Fans yeah for.
Speaker 18: SURE i mean you always want to put your best foot, forward so, Yeah i'll be hoping to do that and, yeah it'll be.
Speaker 2: Good and what would make this first season With AUCKLAND fc a successful one for you? Personally if we're talking in nine or ten months from, now what would have had to happen for you to, say yeah that was a that was a good.
Speaker 18: Season oh, personally just as much game time AS i can get and try and get back to well replicate the FORM i kind of had in THE. Mpl see IF i can step it up into THE A league now. Again and yeah for the, team just another trophy would be.
Speaker 2: Amazing you only miss you only Miss steve criker by a couple of. Months how would have been linking back up with him? AGAIN i know.
Speaker 5: It must must have lost my number In january WHEN i was trying to come.
Speaker 2: Home, well better late than, Never as they, Say, aaron great to have you. HERE i Know auckland F c fans are looking forward to seeing your line up for the team as they look to chase another. Championship thanks for the chair made and all the best Against.
Speaker 5: Tottenham no No, jonas thanks for having, Me, Bonnie, no thank you for joining.
Speaker 2: Us, Aaron Aaron. Kelver he'll be out there On Eden park in the next couple of hours For auckland F c Against. Tottenham brand new signing for the UPCOMING A league. SEASON i put out the call About auckland weather and wonderful. Response wonderful. Response i'm going to read a. Couple there are some TEXT i can't read out JUST i, mean just for the. LOOK i do admire the creativity of your, language BUT i won't be reading some of these. Out some of them are. Great THE johna From hamilton Raining cats And. Dogs, mate got our poncho's, ready no. Stopping the fans absolutely pouring down piney bucketing down up here In. Auckland no signs of letting. UP i can confirm the weather is, terrible Says. Ben steady, rain no, wind hosing it. Down heading to the. Game the weathers AND i can't read that absolutely raining cats and dogs In auckland and. Freezing weather's, atrocious, miserable wet and very very. Cold i'll be lucky to have a dry. Field PINEY i live says in three streets from Den park is, raining, gloomy windy and eleven degrees. Miserable, okay it's raining tears For. Auckland f c Is, peter who's clearly A tottenham. Fan nine degrees lovers pretty heavy, Rain arctic, weather rain, galore poncho's. Required thank you for all your. TEXTS i also got a couple from on my actual phone From Kerry, shaw who is the producer Of francesca's show on A. Sunday she is a Massive auckland F cea fan as her. Family she, said steady, RAIN i think it's brightening, though very, optimistic very, optimistic and another good friend of, mine Will Michael john From sky has very happily and helpfully sent me a video of the rain just to give me a sort of video proof that it is indeed rather In clement In. Auckland thank you for all of your can you think for all of your help on the meteorological. Front twenty to. Two we'll take a break then get To. Glasgow james mcconey big part of Our sunday Season glasgow covering The Commonwealth. Games he's going to chat to us after, this INCLUDING i want to play for him a prediction that he made In january of this year that has come very very spectacularly to fruition over the past week or. So james mcconey on the show after, This big, Calls Big.
Speaker 1: Moments we can sport With Jason ye and To Volkswagen amarak V sex from eighty nine nine ninety for a limited.
Speaker 2: Time News Talks Envy News talk said be coming up seventeen to. Two just before we get To james. McCay has always happens when we talk weather listeners from other parts of the. COUNTRY i feel compelled to let us know how nice it is where they, are and that's. HAPPENED jp beautiful In christchurch after good, frost Says Georgie Beautifully sonny And dunedin Says, marie also From Duneedan kadiama says the weather here in dned and blue sky partly, cloudy, crisp south west, breeze definitely two jackets and polyprop, weather but it's. Dry thank you everybody good to get the weather from around different parts of the. Country let's get you To. Glasgow james mcconey big part of our sundays up In scotland covering The Commonwealth games For. Sky enjoying yourself up, there? Mate do you Like?
Speaker 21: GLASGOW i Love, glasgow underrated, city everything about, it even though The Glasgow KISS i haven't seen one yet and haven't had.
Speaker 11: One but really it's like the games have started and it's been.
Speaker 21: Awesome and to be, honest is the Chance piney THAT i might just catch up With elijah just tomorrow, Morning so what's the space On sky and crowd go as. Well i'm hoping to catch up with. Him he's just clearing up his things in Mother will because he's off To.
Speaker 2: Swansea, yeah this is brilliant news and obviously off the back of a Magnificent World cup AND i know you had had the chance to chat to him over in THE usa And canada talk about putting yourself on the world. Stage To, swansea he goes Where Marco starminitch is the two best looking members of The All watch going to be at the same.
Speaker 21: Club, yeah they are the absolute dream, boats those two or Those staminants as. Well he's kind OF gq ready in my. Opinion but, yeah look it is a. CHAMPIONSHIP i was hoping you'd go to a bigger, club but this is a. Beauty the power of The World cup Is i've spent a lot of Money swansea there get, him AND i think this is one of those, things Like i've said a couple of weeks, ago if you've got a kid who's five, six five foot seven and sessy five kg's dripping, wet, fretnot he could be an international sports star who gets paid millions of.
Speaker 2: Dollars, well he'scored a goal on his debu For swansea in a friendly, match and he the way he moved away from a defender who was much bigger than he is and and found a nice shot to the bottom. Corner that Is. Eli just, now you're, Right, James you know you don't have to be the size Of Earling harland to be a you, know to be a good football, Player, no.
Speaker 21: Exactly and, look if you're thinking about, goats And i've got To i've got a sort Of Mount rushmore and Extended Mount rushmore in four and about three or four of, them Including Lionel, Messi, Diego maradonna And ronaldo are not big. Men Although I'm i'm a big fan Of Zennidin zadan And Johann krouf as.
Speaker 11: Well if that sort of rounds out some of the.
Speaker 2: Greats so you, know it's a game for all shapes and, sizes that's for. Sure now did you catch up with the news That Jurgen klopp is going to take charge Of? Germany?
Speaker 11: YES i, Did and, look this is the whole.
Speaker 21: Thing Ugen klopp is probably the most in demand football. Manager BUT i love that he's actually going to coach the national. Team it'll be a well paid, job but not by his. Standards he will make such a massive difference. THERE i, mean you're A liverpool, fan you know what he can. DO i Think Jurgen klopp is probably one of those guys who's just got. That you, know he's, magnetic he's GOT x factor and he will he'll be special for them And demain Shaft as called that. Name it's quite an interesting name for a.
Speaker 11: Team but they they, expect you, know, excellence and he will deliver.
Speaker 2: That absolutely all, right other matters Around Lebron, james who is now forty one years, old has signed with the FOURTH nba, team The philadelphia Seventy. Sixes he says this will be his LAST nba. Contract four time, champion twenty two Time All, star highest point scorer in the history of THE. Nba what do you predict For lebron at the seventy.
Speaker 21: SIXES i think this is a really savvy move from a player who is that old that he's really it's the twilight.
Speaker 11: Year he's probably only got. One he did say he was going to, retire but then this opportunity came.
Speaker 21: Up he's gone to the perfect landing. SPOT i think this semi sixts can win the whole. THING i think they will win it With.
Speaker 11: Lebron this is one of my.
Speaker 21: Predictions FINAL i think With Jalen brown going from The Boston celtics to, there he's, outstanding proper. Superstar now you've got Tyres, maxi who's playing at THE mvp levels at point, GUARD. Vj edgecombe as one of the best young stars in THE. Nba and then rounding up that starting, five if you, like Is JOE, lmb the genuine big man who can dominate.
Speaker 11: Games but they'll put him on ice until the playoffs AND i think they will be, very very hard to.
Speaker 21: Beat so maybe another, WELL i think another title For lebron to finish his.
Speaker 2: Career and high excitement and the background there In, GLASGOW i can hear, That jameson AND i wonder about your levels of excitement ahead of the, week you know where we'll see a lot Of kiwis in. Action anyone in particular you're keen to keep an eye on at The Calm games over the next seven days or.
Speaker 21: So, Yeah, Look I'm i'm big on athletics at the, moment AND i think there's a couple of athletes who could get on the. Podium one in particular is a young hammer thrower Called Anthony barms with AN m and he's he's got six hundred thousand followers on TikTok because he threw a speaker with a song From wicked on, it And Ariana grande put him on social media and suddenly he isn't on The Tim pain, levels let's be, honest but that's pretty good From. ANTHONY i want to See Jordy beamish against The kenyans and the steeple. Chase that'll be. Epic he's going to run pretty. EARLY i think that finals early in the. Week and of course you've Got Tom walsh with his young. Apprentice So Nick palmer went to live in crosshats With. Tom tom's kind of like you, know it's pretty much Like quo Gon jin And Obi Wan. Kenobi IF i can go back to episode one On Star wars IF i, may and Now Nick palmer is Threatening Tom walsh there AND i think they'll both podium and it'll be amazing thing For New.
Speaker 11: Zealand So Tom walsh And Nick parmer in the.
Speaker 2: Shop, well let's tape the forces with them absolutely just before you. Go at the start of the, year we. Chatted we chatted Every sunday AND i asked you for some twenty twenty six. PREDICTIONS i just want to play this back for. You what about an absolute ruffy for twenty twenty.
Speaker 11: Six, yes My ruffie is upwise to win The Grand.
Speaker 22: Final, no, no it's not the Ruffy piney the rugby Is Ryan fox to win a? Major Ryan fox to win a, Major AND i actually do think he's got.
Speaker 10: The skills to do. It he's got the confidence of two big tournament when's.
Speaker 6: Last, year including The Canadian, Open so, hey look look out For Bran.
Speaker 2: Fox so seven months ago you picked It Ryan fox to win a major and he did.
Speaker 21: It, yeah a stock fok is right ice today and for me possibly once a. Year so, YEAH i got, one right, Poney there we, Go Ryan. FOX i thought he was showing good, signs but what is done now has just become an absolute. Legend he's put that bakery In northcote on the map And i'm definitely going to go there for one of those, steak cheese and bacon jampis or whatever they call.
Speaker 11: It and and so he's changed that business.
Speaker 21: Forever but he's also changed his own life and also those around him support for, him in particular his Coach Marcus, wheelhouse who's any remember is a fine goal for. Himself but now that he's coached a major winner Like ryan and done it kind of from, nowhere just that those guys will be so in.
Speaker 11: Demand AND i Know marcus already. Is he's a very busy man as a golf golf, coach But, RYAN i.
Speaker 21: Couldn't be happy for one of the one of the true gentlemen Of New zealand, sport and just a pleasure to deal with.
Speaker 2: You would you would attest absolutely, right absolutely. Right, well it is with a sense of some trepidation THAT i send you back into The glasgow. NIGHT i don't know what you're going to find, there BUT i hope we get the chance to chet again next.
Speaker 21: Week, Yes Rage rage against The dying of The. LIGHTS i know that's still And thomas's A welsh, part But i'm going back In. Piney i've just seen six sixty play by the, way and how good were they here At New Zealand.
Speaker 11: House just incredible seeing.
Speaker 21: Them this is the proper band that can sell Out Western springs and just playing two small gigs.
Speaker 11: Here the genuine sports Fans Fantastic live highly recommend. Them so, yes thank you very. Much good afternoon to you and good.
Speaker 2: Evening good nights, yep good, afternoon good, evening and good night to you as. Well, james stay safe there In. Glasgow james, McCarney big part of Our sunday. Afternoons eight away from. Two news talkshib the big names and the big calls on your home Of Sport Weekend sport With Jason Fine News talks heb five to two just On Glasgow day, three tonight and, overnight so keeps an action back in the. Pool one met a freestyle women's Heats. Tonight Chelsea edwards And Zoey peterson are both in. Action the finals tomorrow morning about ten to seven if they make. It one hundred met a butterfly women's Heats hazel our hand at ten fifty three. Tonight the semis are tomorrow morning if she makes, it and then tomorrow morning at just after eight o'clock the fifteen hundred meter freestyle women's. Final Eric, affair Whether Eve thomas And Caitlin deans are all in that basketball three x. Three Our New zealand men play The Cayman islands at ten Thirty scotland tomorrow morning at. Four we've got three boxes in. Action Greer hall in the women's bantam weight that's fifty four kilogram division her round of sixteen bout at quarter to, Eleven Connor campbell and the men's well to weight sixty five kilo division his round of sixteen at quarter to one tomorrow, morning And Alex Nukuoka men's bantam weight fifty five kilogram division his round of sixteen at six forty five in the. Morning, Gymnastics Daniel stoddart involved in the individual men all around four from eleven tonight And courtney McGregor and the individual women all around final from five tomorrow. Morning on the Bowling, greens our women's pair against veg eleven forty Five shen and macelroy and the men's singles Against South africa six tomorrow. Morning and our power mixed pairs have section play Against South africa seven to twenty five in the morning and our silver ferns an action Against. Jamaica that'll be a good game eight o'clock tomorrow. Morning that's the lineup Of kiwe's involved on day three In glasgow approaching two o'clock after Two The, warriors The. WARRIORS i want to talk about The. WARRIORS i always want to talk about The, warriors, win lose or. Draw last night was a loss to The bulldogs and it wasn't, great was. IT i text a few friends during this, GAME i, said this isn't, great isn't? It they, Agreed Michael burgess after two and your calls on The warriors against The.
Speaker 1: Bulldogs the only place for the big, names the big, issues the big controversies and the big. Conversations it's all On Weekend. Sports Jason vine and The Volksfugen amarak V sx On Youth TALKS mb Your home Of thought two o.
Speaker 2: Seven this Is Weekend. Sport I'm Jason pine and a McDonald running. Things we're here till. Three Tim beverage after that with The Weekend. Collective Liam skeet s U. Lars you remember. Him he's one of our top young motorsport. Prospects we had him in studio back end of last year and he was about to head off to THE us to compete In indie Next well that didn't really work, out but he's pivoted into a different class of motor racing and has had really good recent. Success So William skeat's going to join us this hour just to tell us more about. THAT i was really impressed with him WHEN i Met liam last year and was delighted to find out how things had worked out for, him but came to find out more from him and what might be. Next So Liam skeets this, Hour Michael burgess on The warriors, shortly and maybe a bit On auckland De Steve tottenham as. Well he covers league and football for The. Herald Is michael when we talk about The, Warriors i'm keen to get your views as. WELL i don't, KNOW i JUST i don't. Know just not a good start last, night not at the races to start. WITH i Think Andrew webster said aufterwards were but like headless chickens or headless. CHUCKS i think he said in the first quarter of the game never really came. Right only six points and that was right at the. End THAT'S i, mean for a team like The warriors to only score six. POINTS i know The bulldogs are reasonably good, defensively but even, so, anyway we can cover all that Off ken to hear your thoughts on, It Michael burgess as, well and we'll keep you up to date with anything else that drops into our. Consciousness our NUMBERS z eight hundred and eighty ten eighty nine two nine to two for your text messages emails Into jason At, newstalk saidb dot co Dot. Nz but as we ticked past eight to past two let's get you across some of the stuff that may not have reached your consciousness yet. Yet in case you missed, it some of the sporting action from the last twenty four. Hours starting on The tour De, france another Alp duez, finish, won this time by the Mountains CHAMPION.
Speaker 23: A day in The, mountains The queen stage of The tour De. France back up here to Out. To as it's a doubleheader And richard Carter pass is featured in both of, them he sits up and he gets ready to Celebrate polkadot power in Up to as Carter pass wins his second, Stage.
Speaker 2: You're richie Calor pass locking up the poker Dot. Jersey the last age of The surer is, tonight which is the ceremonial ride Into, paris isn't It finishing on The Champsilsee Tada pagata will be in yellow seven minutes a HEARE i THINK i, SAW i think he's got. It sign up to THE. NRL whi taught The warriors, shortly but The raiders have demolish The. Tigers sanders over The top judged.
Speaker 23: You in the mid the go Fifty canada whipping.
Speaker 2: The tigers to shreds both sides of the, field work from end.
Speaker 17: To end of the.
Speaker 2: Field it's been quite the day out for The. Greenness fifty six points to ten the final. Score and The cowboys have made The broncos title defense a little bit more. Difficult, chowter it's different.
Speaker 24: Least down the sideline turns to, wall runs over, rees wisside pasta. Tad that's The cowboys have that, bragtfest the fair three water the caaraferns quiff and went the. Finish oh this stadium has great.
Speaker 25: Satellite.
Speaker 2: Yeah so The broncos are now eight points outside the top eight with only six games to go and to The Commonwealth games and the pool Are bronze day For kiwi. Swimmers, Firstly Erica fairweather in the two hundred and three on Sky.
Speaker 12: Sports the plasters to be very close and tease also joke Wellis fairweather that the Old callahan wins the?
Speaker 2: Goals?
Speaker 21: Wow later the last Three Myrio callahan wins the.
Speaker 12: Goals the Silver's Gonzelani tallister had semate From australia and the bronze has.
Speaker 11: Gone So fairweather Of New.
Speaker 2: Zealand and then it was the turn Of Hazel our in the fifty meter Butterfly.
Speaker 12: Perkins From australia and The yellow had The green hated.
Speaker 5: For Its, galahao who's going to get the touch of.
Speaker 12: His perkins Were World championship silver medals in the experience and, really so that's twenty five thirty, seven twenty five five is silver and twenty five to seven. Froze so That's perkins Over galahad over our hands and all three swimmers there faster than the gold medalist Morning.
Speaker 2: Birmingham, yeah well done To hazel Our hand And erica Fair. Weather and after yet another week of off court, drama the Silver ferns got to play some knitball and it went well for them. Too On, sky The.
Speaker 17: Buzzer goes on our first match to the first session year The Coming Our games In glasow twenty twenty.
Speaker 25: Six it was a win For New, zealand.
Speaker 2: But the war is loud for The Scottish. Thistles but.
Speaker 25: The journey has.
Speaker 23: Started Day nolan through his side winning seventy four thirty.
Speaker 1: One call it how you See it ON oh eight hundred and eighty ten Eight Weekend sports With Jason vahne and The volksfigen AMAROK F sx uncompromised capability on sale from eighty nine to nine.
Speaker 2: Nineteen news talks that'd be coming. Up twelve minutes past. Two The warriors have suffered a setback in their quest for a top two finish in THE. Nrl that a, Do that'll. Do the have done it, again.
Speaker 21: The blue and white Of i'm making a finals run full time at A Corps chanterbury eighteen The warriors.
Speaker 10: Six.
Speaker 2: Yeah tough outing For Andrew webster's. Side they struggled to break down their hosts and paid the price for a lack of possession and missed. Opportunities that defeat sees them slipped to third on the. Ladder plenty to reflect on as the finals edge ever close Up covering the game for The New Zealand herald was rugby league Journalist Michael, burgess who joins us now Burg was this simply a case of The bulldogs being the better side last night or did The warriors have themselves to blame in some key? Moments okay more.
Speaker 9: The Former piney The bulldogs are. Excellent you know they've been struggling the. Season where are they? Think they're in eleventh? Place but they looked more like the team that made the top four last. Season they looked they looked really good and they're big Guns Stephen, Crichton Matt, burton kickou or the Former penrith. Boys they really stood. Up you, know they were. Great they got their offloading game. Going The warriors weren't completely. Themselves plenty of, effort but they're a little bit. Inaccurate and then you, know on a night like, that when things aren't going, away a couple of rest calls don't go your way as. Well but, no The bulldogs were really good AND i think that was the fear of a lot of people coming into this.
Speaker 2: Match can we write this officer off night for The warriors or did The bulldogs actually expose a couple of genuine? Concerns, YEAH i mean that's a great.
Speaker 9: QUESTION i THINK i think you concern would be the fact that The warriors weren't great last week, either you know against The dragons they were a bit sloppy that it was much closer than one, thought and so we, thought oh that was an off. Night so so what has this? BECOME i, mean the one thing about playing The bulldogs is they play exactly the same style as The, warriors and last night they just did it. Better so they are a hard team to. Play The warriors struggle against, Them let's be. Honest i've lost now the last four matches Against Cannary banks now and going back To may twenty twenty, Three so you, know other teams present different, threats and The bulldogs do make The warriors particularly. Uncomfortable but there are a few little questions in my. Head The harbs didn't go well for the second week in a. Row the centers are. Struggling everyone knows that's kind of a weak point at the. MOMENT i guess in The, fords you, know for one of the first time the, season we're outpointed by their opposite.
Speaker 2: Pack Luke metcalfe was there last, night not used on the. Interchange is it time to break this glass and Introduce Luke metcalfe back into the side birge or?
Speaker 26: No, YEAH i don't.
Speaker 9: Know it's a big. CALL i don't Think Andrew webster will do. IT i think he'll look at the fact they're going to play The titans next week on The Gold coast where they get a lot OF keii. Support that's where they'll bounce Back hill back To marty And, chanelle who have done well in the eight nine games.
Speaker 10: Together but.
Speaker 9: The thing, is it's coming to the Point piney where he's got.
Speaker 5: To make a.
Speaker 9: CALL i would have, thought you, know either locks in on these two for the rest of the, season or as you, say he Brings metcuff. Back what have we got now six games to? Go it Brings metcuff back as an option for.
Speaker 5: The rest of the.
Speaker 9: Year it's one of the most difficult. DECISIONS i think that he has.
Speaker 2: To make that, aside he usually finds the right response after, defeats doesn't And Andrew. Webster but when he sits down and then gets ready for the, week what do you think the biggest areas will be demanding improvement as they look towards The, titans and then of course beyond that a massive game Against.
Speaker 9: PENRITH i, mean as you, said it wasn't they weren't. Terrible you, know let's keep it and picked they went terrible and The bulldogs were really. Good BUT i think he would just be disappointed with the two things, really the defensive intensity and the failure to shut down the second. Phase like everyone, knows The bulldogs have a lot of threat with offloadings and The warriors just couldn't shut that. Down and then the second thing is the chances they did, have especially in the first half in the red, zone they just didn't. Take you, know in a night like that was always going to be, close you've got to Take you've got to take your, chances make the right, decisions throw the right. Pass so and that made it really hard because you, know The fords worked their socks off all, night but The warriors were always always behind a lot of scoreboard pressure and that.
Speaker 2: Paid do The bulldogs look like a side who could push for the?
Speaker 9: Eight, yeah yeah they. Could on last night's, performance they. Could they don't have much march of. Error they've just about got to win every, MATCH i, think or maybe they could afford to drop. One but, YEAH i just think the Fact i've been, there they've got the, pedigree they've got a hard working, pack and they've got the three guns THAT i mentioned. Before they could make the, eighth but they could veriasily miss. OUT i, mean it's such a tight competition as, always and they've probably left their run too.
Speaker 2: Late all, Right, well both sides now prepare for next. Weekend just While i've got you you switch into football mode this afternoon Because AUCKLAND fc Played Tottenham hotspur At Eden park this. Afternoon massive crowd expected at this. One just how significant is this burge to have one of the biggest clubs in the. World, really let's face it playing here In New.
Speaker 9: Zealand it's absolutely, massive, Mate it's just. HUGE i remember WHEN i mean for a, start it's only the second time in this century we've had A Premier league team. Here of course we Had Newcastle united and West ham brought up By Wellington phoenix in twenty. Fourteen that was a great, occasion played the matches In wellington And auckland as you'd. Remember but this is. Bigger you, Know spurs are in the top. Ten forget about all their problems in the last two. Seasons they're in the top ten clubs in the world in terms of, revenue in terms of global fan, base and we got a glimpse of that. YESTERDAY i was fascinating to go to the team hotel and do some interviews with the, coach With Andy. Robinson but you, know just things like they told us they're traveling with about ninety five. Staff ninety five staff coming all the way To australia And New, zealand including you, know they bring their own. Security but you know that's JUST i, MEAN i was having a chat Dow andrew several afterwards and he said to, me you, know he thought The All blacks were a big, machine but it made The All blacks look quite.
Speaker 11: Small you.
Speaker 9: Know it's just it's just it's just another level and they don't normally come this. Far so it's a it's a brilliant situation to be happening and it should be a great occasion to, fight despite the fact that the weather forecast here In auckland is not.
Speaker 2: Great all, Right, well LOOK i hope that doesn't play it's. PART i think there'll still be a mess of crowd and obviously a high degree of interest in having a club Like tottenham. Here but what About auckland F. C what will they look to get out of? THIS i don't think this will be their first game since they won The Grand, final won't? It so that's going. Back but what will they look to get out of this? Afternoon it's a hard, one isn't. IT I mean it's early in the preseason for. Them they've, got you, know for the world's longest, preseason as they always talk. About BUT i think they look to get a lot out of.
Speaker 9: IT i, mean for a, start they've got so many young players in the squad and so many players looking to make an early. Impact imagine this when you're, seventeen eighteen nineteen and you get a chance to get on the field Against, Spurs so that that's, something and then there's a whole lot of other you, know they're more established. Players this is an amazing opportunity to show what they can. DO i, mean they've got nothing to, lose they can give it a real, go and just it's also something that you know would PUT i don't, know it just makes them look some people realize The auclifts is back and they're here to make a.
Speaker 2: Mark, indeed indeed they've lost a few, players gained a. Couple still waiting for a confirmation of head. Coach but you wrote during the week you know in fairly certain terms as to as to who that's going to, be so that that, appointment do you understand will be confirmed in the next couple of, DAYS i think.
Speaker 9: SO i think it will be The Portuguese Pedro, morita who has got quite a GOOD. Cv he's been in football a long. TIME i think it's a it's quite an interesting and also exciting. Appointment and, yeah i'd expect it to be confirmed in the coming. Week so, yeah they don't have a coach going to the, match which is a little bit, unusual but to be, fair they've only had about a month Since Steve criker left and So i'd rather they take their time in finding the right guy instead of. Rushing so, yeah it'll be it'll be great to see when he is. Confirmed and NOW i guess things really get going from. There But i'm pretty sure he'd be watching wherever he is in the.
Speaker 27: World.
Speaker 2: Absolutely while you talked About tottenham security, before but you've just returned from The World cup and if anyone's got big, security it's The World. Cup your diplomacy skills would have been fined with The tottenham security though now they would have, said on you, go, on you, go.
Speaker 9: That's, Right we've we've got a bit of practice over, there. Mate but, yeah just it was just it's just next. Level but it's what you expect, from you, know The Premier. LEAGUE i, mean it's just it. Is forget what anyone says it is the biggest sporting competition in the world by. Far Andy robinson made a good point to. ME i said to, him you, know you must get recognized every. Where he, SAYS i do you know he goes on holiday but just places Around, europe but goes on holiday anywhere in the world and he'll be he'll be stopped in the. Streets so, yeah it's another level and it's just magic That aucklanders And keyways from around the country get to see them in the.
Speaker 2: Flesh, yeah truly global reach and a global. Superpower Tottenham otspur Against AUCKLAND fc this, Afternoon, berts thanks for joining us to talk a couple of topics this. Afternoon always enjoy having a catch.
Speaker 9: Up great to catch, Up, finny good on your.
Speaker 2: Mate That's Michael. Burgess i'll read him at enz heerl dot co dot nz covers rugby. League he covers. Football on his way To Eden park to Watch tottenham Against AUCKLAND. Fc as Is chrissy nearly At Eden, park just pulling off At Saint luke's and it's hosing.
Speaker 5: Down.
Speaker 2: YEAH i don't think the weather's that great In. Auckland i'm not. There it's okay here In, wellington but there's no football here In, wellington that's In. AUCKLAND i don't think it'll, matter you. KNOW i Mean tottenham are From, london you, know in the depths Of november And december In, london it ain't that. FLASH i think they'll be. OKAY i think from WHAT i, understand and this is probably you, know pretty common For. Auckland it's not that, windy which is. Good if it's. Raining it's, raining you, know put a jacket on if you're going to, watch and the players won't. Care all skid across the. Surface big crowd coming At Eden. Park if you're, going if you're nearly, there give c L o eight hundred and eighty. Ten be keen to hear what you're hoping for From AUCKLAND fc this, afternoon or if you're A tottenham, fan From tottenham and on The warriors, too keen on your thoughts on that as. WELL i watched that game last. NIGHT i don't. KNOW i sat down and, thought, okay we should win this, Year we'll win this. Game didn't win the game eighteen points to. Six it was the sixth that was the worrying. Thing LIKE i, SAID i was texting a couple of friends last night who were, watching and the fact that The warriors just weren't able to create a heck of a lot on attack was probably the most surprising part for. Me you, know when did they score Their when did they score their their? Try it was near the, end wasn't. It sort of in the seventieth minute from, memory seventy fourth, minute seventy four scoreless minutes for The, warriors this team that seems to have found ways of scoring lots of tries this? Season what were you? Seeing had a look at the stats and they can only tell you so. Much but one line break all, night one line break all. Night, yes The bulldogs are good, defensively they, are but one line break completion. Rate The warrior is completing thirty or forty two sets for seventy one, percent The bulldogs thirty six or forty. One so that's clearly a big tick for The. Bulldogs but if you watched, it be keen the hair from you and where are we With Luke metcalf BECAUSE i saw him there last. Night he was part of the part of the interchange or the, reserves but didn't get on you're going to use four obviously off the, interchange and he wasn't one of. Them so where are we With Luke? METCALF i, know And birch made this. POINT i Think Andrew webster would probably prefer not to use. Him that that just seems to be his mindset Around Luke, metcalf that he's got his halves and he's happy with, them and he's going to stick with. Them he's going to stick With Tomurdy martin And Chanella Harris, Tavita they're going to be his. Halves BUT i look At Luke metcalf AND i, think you know, what even though he's, leaving we know he's. Going even though he's, GOING.
Speaker 11: I don't.
Speaker 2: Know i'd just like to see him. Used if there was an, injury he'd be, used surely if there. Was If Tomrty martin went down with an, Injury Luke metcalf would, play wouldn't? He so is there a, big big difference in making a tactical strategic decision Around Luke metcalf To Marty martin's been playing, well very solid since taking over From Tanner boyd When Tanner boyd went down At Magic. Round But Luke metcalf Is luke. METCALF i just think he's got a part to. Play titans, Away panthers at, Home broncos, Away Rabbit o's, Away knights at, Home Sea eagles at. Home those are the six remaining games for The. Warriors hundred and eighty ten eighty two twenty, Five, Lyle i'm with you right after this speed line if you want to jump aboard and talk From Rugby, LEAGUE oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty.
Speaker 1: Sport doesn't stop at the full time Whistle Weekend sports With Jason vine and The volkswagen AMARONK v six on sale now from eighty nine nine ninety call oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty News.
Speaker 5: Dogs they'd be.
Speaker 2: Two twenty nine Talking warriors could A, lyle what was your, Assessment?
Speaker 26: Mike they moved the last few games that looked very fatigued. Enough it's a mental thing or a physical, team but they just bobs were playing at one hundred miles an hour last. Night The warriors were playing at probably. Eighty they couldn't close down the off lads and everything. ELSE i think the more concerning fact is that last week they were incredibly lucky Into Saint. George they had the benefit of a FEW duv, schools and of course a lot of people, said oh, well you know the shoes on the other for a change in fear of The warriors said it had a number of bump calls over the, years no. Doubt but the problem is it's the way they played last week and. Yesterday look at if you told A warriors fan at this stage of the competition they'll be running, food which they are before the season, started they'd be quite. Wrapped but to put it in A american, RUNNERS i think they've had a hortill. Mate they just look. Jaded perhaps he is over, training but they need something to. Refresh if Footmen James Fisher harris come back and look of the, wrecker they'd bounce back. Up but if you can't beat sides might Say george easily and at least compete With. Canterbury you're not going to win the. Championship look this year they're losing a number of, players good players at the end of the. Year so as much as he's probably very closely i'd love to. See well it's The New zealand fans and the hunting side to say he's going to. Happen they just we've got to put teams like That. St george and cannab away at the. Song here it's a marathon to win the slightly, competition but you've got to peek at the right. Time they've come out of the, blocks possibly a little too, fast and NOW i could start and the grind them.
Speaker 6: Down Hopefully i'll prove me.
Speaker 26: Roll we've got them here next week on the goal got so they won't look to Support.
Speaker 7: Logan will be.
Speaker 26: Empty but, YEAH i was concerned The sletch before it even. Played our Nice Canterbury's.
Speaker 6: Well i've only con seen one foll and two.
Speaker 26: Games they're on. Rice but they need to put The titans too bad and do it very. CONVINCINGLY i think.
Speaker 2: Good thoughts and good points well made as, always like, yeah look The Gold, coast always a big crowd there supporting The, warriors and you're, right, yeah they're just starting to, stumble ever so. Slightly not great against The, dragons as you, say losing The. Bulldogs titan's got to win the game and no other. Option got to win that game before The panthers at home the following. Week good to check to, You, larle stay, Well Hello, Nigel.
Speaker 8: Hello There, jason that game last night was set In New zealand or over In.
Speaker 2: Nuse, no it was In, sydney over In.
Speaker 8: Australia, okay what did we lose?
Speaker 2: By we lost by eighteen points to?
Speaker 8: Six, okay, yep? Right CAN i have talked to you about the rowball?
Speaker 26: Game?
Speaker 8: NOW i know you're your hearts or soccer and you've got a passion for soccer, mostly haven't.
Speaker 2: You, WELL i like all, Sports, nigel but YES i do enjoy. Football did you want to talk About AUCKLAND Fc? Tottenham?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 8: No what did they the Soccer World cup Final argentina Versus. Spain now how many minutes into the game did it take to get? That just that one? Goal it was after it was extra? Timehn't?
Speaker 2: Yeah one hundred and sixth, Minute nigel was the Winning so just after halftime an extra?
Speaker 8: Time so a normal like, YEAH i, know a normal game of rugby like all black professional rugby's eighty minutes and that forty minutes each way and that, yeah sokare a wee bit longer or the same amount of.
Speaker 2: Minutes, yeah it's a bit longer ninety minutes for a regular, Game. Nigel and then if there's, no if they can't separate. Them in a knockout game like The World, cup they go into two periods of fifteen minutes each, way so one hundred and twenty minutes all up is, available and then they would have gone to. Penalties didn't get there With spain getting their winning, goal AND i think most people agreed that it was the right call or, sorry the right. Outcome good to Chet. To you might want to keep on talking, warriores but please go back anytime if you want to talk some more, Football, Kevin you'll be, happy. Mate doggie, Supporter.
Speaker 27: Yep, Absolutely, jason AS i, Said i'm a doggy Support i've been for a long. Time so there's a very scrappy. Game BUT i don't Know whyries just gave away too, many.
Speaker 5: Too many easy.
Speaker 27: Shots that's for. ME i see rugby leaders like kind of like a boxing. Matters you better shut the right shots than.
Speaker 22: You know WHAT i?
Speaker 2: Mean, YEAH i don't. Know Andrew webs have talked afterwards about the physicality and how it wasn't quite where he wanted it to. Be he said they had a good. Week i'll play a bit of audio from him in a moment he said they had a good, week and there was no reason why they wouldn't have muscled up the same way they normally. Do The bulldogs certainly muscled, up and yeah it was what was? IT i think they got their first couple of tries and all of a, sudden you, know bang bang the the The bulldogs are ahead by by twelve mil or something. Similar oh, yeah it was just a mysterious performance for.
Speaker 27: Me, yeah that's it's just they just they just didn't execute the right the basics of rugby. Leagues, so AS i, said The dogs, One i'm, happy so.
Speaker 2: Excellent. Kevin good to meet you last week as, well, mate when you popped into The. Kingslander uh and, yeah all the best of Your, doggies. DON'T i, mean they may well find themselves in the. Eight just having a look at where we are at the. Moment they're up to. Ninth their recent forms pretty, good three wins and they are lost in the last four. MATCHES i think they might include the buy as. Well so last five matches there are only two points out of the. Eight who, knows maybe The dogies will be. There Andrew webster after the, game he was asked for a summary and it was put to him that defense was pretty, good but the attack wasn't REALLY.
Speaker 28: I think the attack flows off your, defense like we were just run around like headless.
Speaker 5: Trucks The dogs were way more physical than.
Speaker 9: Us in that first.
Speaker 28: Period they were offloading the ball as, well and then off the back of, it we're chasing, around just not bearing, ourselves sucking a lot of energy out of, ourselves losing the possession battle. Early and they were really good and we weren't out our best and we're hanging in. There we'll, scrambling, trying and then we're trying to throw some shots at the end of the. Game but we didn't set the game up and they. Did uh did that a really good?
Speaker 2: Time That's Andrew. Webster, Hello, Khalid, hello.
Speaker 16: AND i just cut it.
Speaker 29: Here, HELLO i was, Hello can you hear?
Speaker 3: ME i?
Speaker 2: Can.
Speaker 29: Yeah, WELL i was very unlucky Because i'm first of, ALL i want to talk About, warriors follow The, warriors and THEN.
Speaker 14: I Love Wris i'm a.
Speaker 29: Referee and then the way they played yesterday THAT i don't. Know they come all the way to the try line that two, meters then they make big. Errors he didn't put it there or do some silly airs for professional player like, that it was very. Devastating it was.
Speaker 2: Hard it was hard to understand. You you wanted to talk about the football as.
Speaker 29: Well, yeah Because i'm a referee REFE i don't know the league and, stuff AND i think the final and that referee he didn't do his job after when they, started he didn't shout on his starting each. Other he could still he could have still give a red Car you don't say it because in the law of the, game the players will will get disciplinary even after the game, finished and the game will until they're going into their.
Speaker 2: Shades but, Yeah carlie TO i do have to move, Mate but, YEAH i take your, point AND i you, KNOW i know there's been a lot of discussion after The World cup final about the refereeing and about the antics of The argentinian players following the, game driven mainly from frustration, Obviously but thank you for calling and just on The. Warriors, YEAH i don't, know got to move on and chat To Liam, Skeets BUT i don't. KNOW i just feel as Though Luke metcalfe has a part to, play some part to play at the back end of the. Season be so interesting to see what that is twenty three away from three back in a Second Weekend.
Speaker 30: Sport from brilliant victories to battling, Selections it's all fair game On Weekend sport With Jason vine and The Volkswagen AMAROK V Sex Uncompromised, Ability Premium, Comfort News TALKS env two.
Speaker 2: Forty great to welcome back into the show one Of New Zealand motorsport's brightest young. Prospects you may Remember Liam skeets joining us in studio back end of last. Year he's had recent success In, asia so we thought it was time to get him back into update. This, liam welcome back to the. Show we spoke to, you AS i, say in Early november and you were heading to THE us to compete In indie. Next so tell us what the last months have consisted of for.
Speaker 7: You, yeah thank You. Piney the last eight months have been, crazy to be.
Speaker 17: Honest, Yeah november last year was THE us was the, Focus IndyCar was was the, focus and now it's completely. Changed so, yeah started this year that the opportunity came up to be racing In Lamborghini, asia so with a roof over my head, now so that's been the biggest kind of difference this year And i'm absolutely loving it so.
Speaker 2: Far so tell us about the series you're, racing and actually take us back to how the conversation started and how we ended up.
Speaker 7: Here, yeah SO i mean The IndyCar.
Speaker 17: PASSWAY i would have loved to have continued to go, down but just the realities of motorsport means that it's it's incredibly expensive to go down that.
Speaker 7: Route so, unfortunately, YEAH i had. TO i had to, pivot a bit of a strategic.
Speaker 17: Pivot and AND i was looking all over the globe at all the different race series to see what what might be best fit for. Me and then one, day, yeah just just through reaching out To kiwi's here getting getting your advice a key a really successful motor racing driver and, Himself chris Vander, drift took to him and he presented me this opportunity of Here lamborghini In ASIA Gt Cars endurance. Racing so, yeah completely different to The indie next, scene and, yeah it. Was it was a great, opportunity a lot cheaper than THE, us so that was the most attractive. Point but, yeah and then just just signed signed a contract only weeks before the first round and that was held In april In, malaysia and, yes since, Then i've had four. Rounds but, yeah AS i, said It's i'm super happy about this kind of strategic PIVOT i like to call. It and you're just loving my time In asia and Then lamborghini.
Speaker 2: Outstanding it's funny how things work out, sometimes isn't. It you, know you think you're going down one path and then another path presents. Itself so so tell us about racing These lamborghini's what you, Know just give us the whole rundown on what it is that you're.
Speaker 17: Doing, yeah so there's there's so many new dynamics pining That i'm experiencing and having to adapt. To the adapt is the key word for this year because there's been, yeah so many new. Firsts But, lamborghini it's It's i've got the biggest. Thing and first of all Is i've got a partner with, me a driving, partner so it's not just me now competing in the. Races we do a pet stop middle of the race and change. Over so, yeah that dynamic of having a teammate's new And i'm really loving. It has as they've just. Starts he's From poland and we get along really. Well i'm with An italian TEAM. Vsr they're Called Vincenzo Suspirior. Racing he's a Former Formula one driver in The shumaca.
Speaker 7: Days and, yeah they've been.
Speaker 17: Awesome they're they're leading team For, lamborghini so surrounded by a great group of, people and, yeah we've had four.
Speaker 7: Rounds it's all Across.
Speaker 17: Asia we started In, malaysia then we went To, china then To japan and more Recently South. Korea So i'm you, know on, track it's it's awesome driving of vting you, Know lamborghini with six hundred plus, horsepower but but off tre having That asia experience of of you, know being able to see all these new countries and meet all these new, people and it's, Yeah i'm absolutely loving.
Speaker 7: It So i'm feeling very.
Speaker 2: Lucky how long are the Racers.
Speaker 7: They're they're about an hour.
Speaker 2: Long got Ya, Okay so you're in you're in the seat for what typically half of? That is that how it typically?
Speaker 7: Works yes out, yep. Yep twenty five to thirty five.
Speaker 2: Minutes all, right and it's obviously going. Well you had your strongest weekend of the season up In South. Korea is it just have you just got the hang of it quite quickly or what made everything click so well for you in the latest.
Speaker 17: Round, yeah, well the first round Of, malaysia actually we managed to, win which was a bit of a surprise really because, yeah it was my first race weekend AND gt Cars i've, had you, know little to no. Experience but, yeah we managed to piece to get a weekend and get our first.
Speaker 7: Win under our.
Speaker 17: Belt but then Through china And, japan you, know a couple of rounds went by them and we didn't really get close to winning and we were still on the, podium which was gay getting seconds and, thirds but, yeah that's not good. Enough so we've been working very hard and then, yeah on the weekend In South korea we managed to get another, win now second under our belt for the season and closing in the championship. Lead so, yeah it hasn't been and easy process ailing at. ALL i mean it's, yeah a lot of hard work has gone and you know over the last eight months to get up to speed in this car and learn as much as possible be a. Sponge so, yeah but but all thank you to my team for you, know helping with that.
Speaker 2: Process what sort of speed to your traveling at top speed top.
Speaker 17: Speed we came At fuji In japan and it was close to three HUNDRED i, think not quite about two niney.
Speaker 7: Ish so, yeah it's.
Speaker 2: Moving it feels far, Absolutely so you've closed it on the. Leaders second in the championship, NOW i, think so how many rounds are they?
Speaker 26: Left two to?
Speaker 17: Go we've Got shanghai at The Formula One circuit in Early september and then The World finals At. Monza it'saly at the end Of. October so that's, yeah that's that one's been circled on the calendar all. Along that's where you, know all The lamborghini drivers competition From asia and From North america and From europe meet At monza for the big. Showdown so that's the one, we you, Know gustav AND i are really working towards and really want to.
Speaker 7: Win it won't be, EASY i mean that decide to.
Speaker 17: Grip there will be about fifty Plus lamborghini is all on track together Around. Monza but, yeah we're feeling, confident you, know with our progress we've made here In asia that.
Speaker 7: Will be able to get To europe and we'll be we'll.
Speaker 2: Be in the fight amazing and on top of, that in the last little, while you've been selected for The Lamborghini Young Driver. Program tell us about that and how significant that.
Speaker 17: Is, yeah that was very exciting news THAT i received the week Of South korea actually the race and yet to be one of fifteen drivers Globally lamborghini drivers to be. Selected, yeah it was a, huge huge on the privilege and how it works now has now been part of the. Ecosystem i'm working With lamborghini, directly the assisting me with you, know all off track on track specs like media and sponsorship and communication and physical and mental. Fitness In, september after My shanghai, race So i've got to go To italy for a three day training camp and, yeah that that. Opportunity it's just the first step, really but now That i'm part of The prow brand that the goal is to perform At shanghai my next race and especially The World finals and and you, know become a factory, supported professional paid drive for Lamb. Guini so, yeah Now i've created that opportunity for. Myself so it's just about you, know keep working hard and.
Speaker 2: Execute absolutely, Outstanding liam G what a what an eight months you've had made and so you, say you, know first step along the journey to where where where might this? Lead have you started to think about what the you, know the next say three to five years might look like for.
Speaker 17: You, Yeah asia is somewhere for the, short medium TERM i really want to build my. Career it's it's, yeah a great market for motor racing in the motor racing. WORLD i think it's it's really emerging up and, coming AND i don't think many young drivers are kind of looking there as the platform for the last for the long.
Speaker 7: Term lamon the twenty Four lamon is main.
Speaker 17: GOAL i want to be the next Next kiwi to be to be flying The kiwi flag at that race and following you know the likes Of Brendan hartley And El bamba and, yeah other Great kiwi names that have that have taken.
Speaker 7: Part in that.
Speaker 17: Event so, yeah that's, yeah five in five years time if, this you, know the goal is to be on that grid even less than and it would be awesome to be dealt With Landy guiney as a as a driver for their, manufacturer with their support behind.
Speaker 2: Me you mentioned a couple of names there and you Know we've got such a proud history of producing world class racing drivers and all sorts of different, cars haven't we do you do you draw inspiration from from Other kiwis who have gone?
Speaker 5: Before of course.
Speaker 17: ABSOLUTELY i Mean Scott dixon WHEN i was in THE us last couple of. Years he's someone THAT i really looked up, to and, yeah he was hugely supportive and an. Inspiration and you Know Foxy foxy on the weekend winning on the global. Stage it's not just motor racing, drivers it's ALL keii sports people that you can draw inspiration, from and you.
Speaker 7: Know come from you, know a little Old New zealand in the in the corner.
Speaker 17: Of the global the, globe and, yeah be able to have huge success in the world. Stage so, Yeah i'm spoiled for the amount of icons that there is to look towards and learn, from and, yeah pull inspiration from to to keep working hard and.
Speaker 2: Even just chatting to you, mate like you've mentioned some of the race tracks you've been on and will go To monza and you know who knows what lies down the. Track do you still have pinch me moments or you're starting to get used to?
Speaker 7: It, NO i still have pinchy.
Speaker 17: Moments, YEAH i feel just yea super appreciative every day to have these.
Speaker 7: Experiences.
Speaker 17: YEAH i mean eight months ago WHEN i was talking with you The indie next, thing you know that that came to an end and, Honestly, PINEYER i had.
Speaker 7: NOTHING i had nothing on the cards and just.
Speaker 17: Just due to you, know the cost of motor racing and it was really skipped to UF i would even have my bum in a race seat for this. Year so, yeah to be Racing lam mcghinny's all Around, asia to be still you, know winning trophies and Sprang, Champagne i'm immensely. Grateful and that's all thank you to my to My kiwi partners here here In New. Zealand he's about eighteen of, them a mixture of people and organizations and, YEAH i would not be WHERE i am of course without. Them so it's it's, huge, huge huge thanks to.
Speaker 2: Them, yeah well you're right to point them, out BUT i think it's also massive testament to your, resilience your, tenacity your, determination your ability to pivot into something different when well what they what do they? Say when one door, closes another is likely to, Open and you've walked right on through it Into Lamborghini. Lamb it's great to get the chance to Tat thanks for updating. Us we'll keep eyes on you and hopefully we can catch up in person at some stage later in the.
Speaker 7: Year of, Course thank you very much finding for the. Opportunity looks forward to speaking.
Speaker 2: More, yeah me, too. Mate thanks, Indeed Liam skeets there one of our top young motor racing. Drivers what a time for. Him nine to Three News, talks he'd.
Speaker 1: Be analyzing the pleas and getting the Insight Weekend sport With Jason Vine News talks he'd be.
Speaker 2: Coming up five to Three linda on Text. Bindy what an awesome young. Guy absolutely a great ambassador For New. ZEALAND i wish him all the best for his. Future, Yeah Liam, skeets it's a name to. Remember that is us On Weekend sport for. Today thank you so much for tuning in for taking part in the Show Big Monday night show tomorrow. Night The All blacks will be named at three o'clock tomorrow. Afternoon well of all the reaction to, that hopefully one of the new players perhaps who's been broad in or one of the, coaches and lots of your feedback as. Well massive thanks To annie McDonnell for. Producing as, always thanks, mate enjoy you a couple of nice relaxing. Hours song to take us Out Today Will totten are about to kick off Against AUCKLAND. Fc and back in nineteen eighty, One tottenham made the F A Cup final and among their squad that year were a couple Of Argentinians Ricky via who actually turned out to be pretty handy in THAT Fa cup. Final he scored a couple of goals in the replay Against Man city And Ozzie dilly's and. So to commemorate their trip to the F A Cup final At, Wembley tottenham's, squad along With chairs And dave released the Song Ossie's Dream spurs are on their way To. Wembley here it is to take us Out see tomorrow Night.
Speaker 25: Martin. Again now it's a web. Play, okay everybody, well be wedess, burst everybody well witness. Burs come this starts to, web please. Play come on You, Spurs come on You. Spurs start a web please.
Speaker 1: Suh for more From Weekend sport With Jason, fine listen live to news. Talks it be weekends from midday or follow the podcast On, iHeartRadio