Speaker 1: Life in the Export of Beer Adden's Studio and brought to you by Export Ultra the beer for here. This is the Agenda Podcast for Tuesday, the twentieth of August.
Speaker 2: The Agenda Podcast, the home of Sporting Nonsense and clap Trap, brought to you by Export Ultra.
Speaker 3: Morning Jeremy, Welcome into the podcast.
Speaker 4: Kell you to turn the well. Who's got their conditioning up in this bloody place? It's freezing out there today.
Speaker 3: Too cold.
Speaker 4: It's freezing.
Speaker 1: Have you or have you been outside this studio? This studio is up and down. It's either sweltering hot or it's Arctic blizzard cold.
Speaker 4: It's been a pausal.
Speaker 3: It has been a pausal.
Speaker 4: Doesn't know whether it's hot, doesn't know whether it's cold. Doesn't know whether it's trying to make babies or whether it's trying to shut it down when it's drying up, whether it's.
Speaker 1: It's going up, it's going through the change it really is this studio.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of a lot of snow down south.
Speaker 1: I'm getting a lot of photo has been sent through and my mum's texting me, going Jesus cold down here. Tell you what she doesn't want to hear. Me complaining about the weather in Auckland.
Speaker 4: Does that make you long for the for the horrific weather of the South Island or not.
Speaker 1: That not at all. I hate snow controversial opinion, largely because I can't ski, but also because snow to North Islanders, like, if you've lived in Auckland your whole life, snow is this magical, mystical, whimsical sort of thing. But in reality, it's sludge. It's everything's fucking wet. There's mud everywhere.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: It's actually not as magical a time of year as you think it would be, and it just makes life so much worse. So yeah, me, personally, I can't guess snow.
Speaker 4: Okay, So when you see snow, you see dead lambs.
Speaker 1: Yes, I see dead lambs. I see calves born too early.
Speaker 4: You see pain in the agricultural sector.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: You know, is it gonna is it gonna dry out in time for you to put some feed down? Are they gonna be eating off?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: And there everything's going moldy. It's just it's sludge. That's the part that people don't realize about it. It's not often that you get the powdery snow it's the sleety, sludgy shit. That's just it's crashing your car. It's your flatmate taking your car down to the deer and sliding out around the corner and then lying about it.
Speaker 4: Specific story. Clearly something happened to us along those lines. Why don't saut to South Islanders driving snow tires? Have you heard of snow tires? I went to Japan and I was driving in the snow. Yeah, And I was driving in a car, just a normal car, four wheel drive, but it's a car, and it was a Sabaru Forester, and I had these things called snow ties, which means you don't have to wear chains. Oh, you don't put chains on.
Speaker 1: Nah.
Speaker 4: These things grip in the snow. It's quite out of it. They look like kind of normal ties, but they're they're softer, right, and so when they when they get cold, they're still soft, so they grip, whereas you know, opposed to normal tires, when they get cold, they go hard and they slide.
Speaker 1: It's like plastic. Yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 4: I didn't get sideways once and I was driving in deep snow all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, No, I'm sure that there would be parts of the country.
Speaker 1: That have them, and in certain times of the year, but no, I haven't seen them so good. The snow tight, yeah, removed. And there's nothing more humiliating than trying to put a set of chains on.
Speaker 4: The worst thing is that my partner, Tolsi, is really good at putting on chains. So when we go skiing, she puts on the chains and it's I say, I sit in the side of the.
Speaker 3: Car, keeping your hands warm, and.
Speaker 4: She's out there on a mat getting dirty. And I tell you what, man, I get some flsy locks, particularly from women.
Speaker 1: You're like, oh, it's the fucking seven chap guys.
Speaker 4: Ideas like, she's good at it, she enjoys it.
Speaker 3: What are you supposed to do?
Speaker 4: I know some people are got it putting on chains.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my missus has been backing a trailer than I am. I'm mad enough to admit it. I'm not too proud to say she's really good at backing a trailer. Grew up on a farm. You know what am I supposed to do? We've got the greatest New Zealander debate going on at the moment, Jerry, and I thought I'd get you in today because this one I know you'll be able to weigh in on yesterday it was fred dag Billy T.
Speaker 3: Belly T won the.
Speaker 1: Landslide really, and I think partially due to the fact that a lot of fred Dagg's work was done over in Australia. Also, fred Dagg just one of the characters you know, played by Why am I.
Speaker 4: Forgetting his name by John Clark?
Speaker 3: John Clark?
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, so it wasn't John Clark. It was fred Dak Yeah, yeah, fair enough. I mean fred Dagg was good for sure, but watch character played by belly T.
Speaker 1: I mean, belly T played a whole lot of characters and I think that's probably what what one. I also think that belly T's remembered more fondly than fred Daggers we're saying yesterday Heath was talking about, you know there's the comedians when the towel of the other best comedian of that year. So you know that one was won by landslide. Today's one is going to be very tough. It's going to cause a lot. You know, it's going to tear families apart, this this one, and I know you're already torn about it. Today's matchup for the Greatest New Zealander of all time as Richard Hadley versus Dan Vittori.
Speaker 4: Oh man, this is well, and you're asking me this question.
Speaker 1: I'm asking you as as Richard Hadley's biggest fan. Yes, and also a personal friend of Dan vatory.
Speaker 4: This is really hard for me. I am definitely Richard Hadley's number one fan. I've now realized it. I used to think that everybody loved Richard Hadley. I just grew up thinking that he was like the greatest human that ever lived, and therefore everybody loved him. And I was one of the multitude of people who just worshiped everything he did, including the way he skipped at the beginning of his run up and the way that he wore wristbands as well. And it's mistache, but it turns out I was actually the number one fan. I loved him more than he I paid more attention to everything about Richard Hadley than anyone else.
Speaker 1: Was it a slow realization when you're talking to people at cocktail parties and realizing their eyes are glazing over and you're talking about bowling averages.
Speaker 4: It was a slightly slowly realization. But everybody came to me one day when Stephen Fleming organized a lunch to celebrate the twenty fifteen Cricket World Cup. Then that and Stephen Fleming organized very kindly. What a lovely man Stephen Filming is. He organized me to sit beside so Richard Hadley because he had heard that I idolized them, probably through damnatory. And not only did he sit beside Richard Hadley, he sat on the other side of me was wok a Unice. I was in a handly Unice sandwich and I love wo Unice. What a great bowler he was. I thought he was mean and nasty because he always looked terrifying he was bowling. He is the gentlest, nicest man, really humble, just a very nice human.
Speaker 1: Until you put the cherry in his hand and then he's at your throat vicious.
Speaker 4: I mean a green seemer with waka Unice steaming and our old ball, new ball whatever.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: That guy was terrifying, and he's up in your ribs and he steamed in from miles and he really steamed in and then he sort of did that thing we jumped and stopped, which is terrifying as a batsman because he's a pause like your way. You do if I did it different, And then there's this pause that's like, oh god, the shooting fire. Yeah, he's vicious and he will got a bolt of devastating bounts of plus a devastating Yorker. That's a terrible combination.
Speaker 1: Is there a chance that you were set next to Richard Hadley because no one else at that lunch wanted to sit next to Richard Hadley?
Speaker 4: Which turns out Richard Hadley loves the red wine. Really I found that out. Okay, you know it's not such a fan. But Richard Hadley nicked a couple of rids and really loosened up and it's quite quite a good time.
Speaker 1: Richard Headley, did you did you have any burning questions that you'd carried since a child that you wanted to ask?
Speaker 4: Of course I did. Of course I had a list. I seriously had a list that was like five pages long. But I realized I couldn't do that, and I, you know, I'm not stupid, So I was like, Okay, I've got one. I'm gonna have to ask him one question, peppering him with questions. Even though that that's what I'd like to with questions, He's not going to do this. So I thought, I've got one, and I was like, what can that one be? And I was like, I know. So it was around the change of run up when he went from the long run to the short run. And in that time and about nineteen eighty one nineteen eighty two, he changed from the short to long and he used to alternate actually, and he was criticized quite heavily in New Zealand cricket for going back to the short run up because he was our number one strike bowler, even though he felt that he was a bitter bowler coming off the short run. But anyway, when he did that, he changed the beginning of his run up where he used to skip you bringing his back leg, his right leg around behind the left leg and sort of almost in front of it. Was it was a very strange kind of side on and over.
Speaker 3: The left the top of the run up at the top of the run up.
Speaker 4: It was a really weird move. And he stopped doing that to this little hop, this little skip at the beginning of his run. There was a little with a little with a little brush of the hand on the on the legs. It almost liked to sort of put the put the ball in the hand and go from the transfer the ball from the left of the right hand. And I always wondered. I was like that was was that a conscious decision? Because it was quite a dramatic change. It's quite a you know, to stop doing one and start doing the other as a bowler. And he and I said to him, I noticed in nineteen eighty two that you changed from from around the back skip to a little hop. And I said, why did you do that? And was it? Was it gradual or was it one day? And he said, nobody's ever asked me that, christ I did that happened? And I said and he and I said, well, I'm interested. And he said it was because I used to play league cricket in county and county cricket and you were only allowed to come in off fifteen paces faces really met. Yeah, And so I had the short run up and I used that just to skip to get me going because I couldn't bring the leg around and get the timing right right. And he said, then I just introduced it to Test cricket and one day cricket was like, oh, there we go. So it was it was a conscious.
Speaker 1: Decision, right, So it was like Last Night Stands or like Twilight Cricket.
Speaker 3: We were only allowed to come off three paces.
Speaker 4: Yeah, try and keep the games fast, I spose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be annoying in county cricket to have some just village bird, who's coming off the boundary bowling one ten?
Speaker 3: Do we need it?
Speaker 4: And in those days there were some big run ups yeah, like oh yeah, there was some I mean Michael holding he he was running in from about fifty meters. Yeah, I mean that's a long way.
Speaker 3: That's over the rope in some boundaries.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's in the park. He's coming from up in the caterings and making his way down. So I think they were trying to sort of shorten, shorten things down, shut in the game. So that was I was so proud that he said to me, No, does he ever asked me that question before?
Speaker 1: Did that impact his bowling at all? Did it take a couple of clicks off?
Speaker 3: Did it?
Speaker 4: I think he lost a couple of cliques, definitely, but he gained a little bit of control. Yeah, And I think all of a sudden, it was a golden period from nineteen eighty two through to nineteen ninety he took so many works.
Speaker 1: Long as spells, I suppose as well, because he's not running as far.
Speaker 4: Yep, that's exactly what he said, longest spells. And he didn't lose a lot of pace. He certainly didn't lose any of his bounce. I think that was the thing with Richard Hadley. People don't understand he he was. He came with a very high arm action, amazing wrist action, and just extracted a lot of bounce. And you saw it when you when you watched him live and I watched him live a bit as a kid, and the boy would always hit the gloves hard and it was always on the app on the way through to insment. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, So that's your h that's your love affair with Richard Hadley. And actually, funnily enough, when I teached you last night about coming on this morning, the last text I had sent to you was I couldn't remember the mantra that he had at the top of his run up, and it just texted you what was what was Hadley's rhythm Swing Lily Swing Lily? Was it the name of his book as well, Rhythm and Swing. Yeah, he didn't put lily in the in the title.
Speaker 4: Oddly, The greatest moment I had with Richard Hadley came recently. Came about three months ago when I went down to his house. He was selling his house. I went down for seven sharp to do a story and I wandered around his house and he showed me around his house, and then at the end of it, we sat down in front of his big screen TV, which is giant, must be about like eighty inches huge on these two lazy boys in his house in christ Jurg and we started watching Richard Hardley clips. So I watched Richard Handley playing in nineteen eighty one against Australia at the SCG. We took five wickets and I watched that with Richard Hardley. That was the That's one of the greatest moments in my life. I would say, top top three.
Speaker 1: How quickly was he able to pull that highlightrail up?
Speaker 4: I was on his my sky, along with a whole lot of other highlights of his.
Speaker 1: How many other people have been subjected to this? Hey, I know it was a trick for you, you.
Speaker 4: Know it was. It was just amazing. I was like, if I could be in this moment for the rest of my life, I'd be happy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just imagining his wife just been like again, she.
Speaker 4: Was somewhere else. She was in another part of the house. Oh god, he's watching himself on TV. But the interesting thing he was critiquing his own performance, and he's like, it's rubbish, a lot of rubbish. That is. He goes, oh, good delivery coming up here. Watched this one just just angles and then just nips away. And he was right, like, there's a couple of absolute screamers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that would have been a beautiful moment.
Speaker 4: Oh man.
Speaker 1: Gelane recently retold the story about you being given the keys to the roller at high school and rolling out the pitch to within an inch of its life overnight before school exchanges.
Speaker 4: It was a double whemy for me that not only did I get off class, particularly particularly geography with mister Lloyd, who didn't even know that I wasn't even on the class, which I got my best market actually, but that was an opportunity to get our class. Plus I loved just being on the roll. I loved operating a bit of technology. Track is always fun to drive, cars are fund to drive, etc. And And yeah, you get to right get to the piece and quiet of just sitting out and just rolling this. But what I didn't realize is you can overroll a pitch. Oh really, I didn't know anything about pictures. I just wanted this really hard. I thought that the problem with New Zealand pictures were they weren't hard enough. Yeah, and it turns out you can just roll the living but Jesus out of it. So this pitch would have it was like a rolled piece of mud, hardly any grass on it, and you'd stand it. You couldn't get a key into it, and you think, oh, this is going to be and with the new ball it would and if you bowled first, it came through and then all of a sudden it just died in the second inex because they had no grass on it. And that's when Victoria would come into his own.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Right, So did that become a bit of a like a play for your team? All right, Jerry's going to get out there, roll this thing into the core of the earth, and then Victoria is going to come out and turn it square?
Speaker 4: Well, was is it wrong that I produced a pitch that I then took six wickets on?
Speaker 3: You did?
Speaker 4: And yeah, and I wondered about that? Is that is that legitimate.
Speaker 1: Was there like a bump right at your leap that no one else knew about it?
Speaker 4: Actually, the actually was, But it was not something that I that I crafted, But I did know that you knew it was there. I did, But I don't know if I'm bowld from that end of the other end, But there were there was a little ridge in it. But but yeah, looking back on it now, I think, is that actually a little bit dodgy?
Speaker 1: No, it wasn't trying to be dodgy. That's just home filed advantage. I think, yeah, that's that's always been part of the Glane benefited from it, did he? Yeah, Glane benefited from it. Would he come steaming in off the long run?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Gane Gulane knew the right areas to bowlin on that pitch. Took a lot of wickets on that pitch.
Speaker 1: So for you, you're gonna have to go Richard Hadley, aren't you.
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: I mean, look, I love Dan Vatory and I love what Dan Vatory did. Mensely proud of Davatory as a person. You know, it's that thing when you know someone as a kid, and I remember him as a fifteen year old, when you know someone as a fifteen year old, you know them for the rest of your life because you know their essence. And he's he's exactly the same. He is still a fifteen year.
Speaker 1: Old, the man who filled the nation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's he's he's smart, he's funny, he's cheeky, he's a lot of fun and so I have a huge amount of love for him. But I know that he wouldn't He doesn't want to be a part of this. Yeah, Like I know, if I know him, I know that he would like me to vote him off. Yeah, right, because he don't want to be a part of it. He doesn't want to be doesn't want he wanted to notice him. I mean, if he got to play cricket, no one could have watched. Yeah, he would have been much happier.
Speaker 1: But he's also grown that sort of David Leedhiman post career long beard that that guys get when they're like, I'm sick of being in the public eye. I want to go full Gandalf and just not have anyone recognize me.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, he used to take his glasses off back in the day because he was you know, he wore glasses cricket and he'd go out without glasses.
Speaker 3: I don't think i'd recognize him.
Speaker 4: People didn't. People didn't used to recognize him. Yeah, but you know, now he's in a situation. I mean, I don't know how he goes in India. Now he walk around India. Everyone knows who he is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tall white guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's quite full on in that situation. He can't go to a place like India and be anonymous.
Speaker 1: It was funny you mentioned that some one of the comments on social media said dan Vttori. They're voting for Dan VATORI purely on the basis of him loading a couple of other players and his manner of the series lancer and ripping donuts on the field in India.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, was it India or Bangladesh? It was one of the two. Yeah, I feel like it may have been Bangladesh. That was the days where you could do anything on tour, because I didn't. I think the game was televised, but it may not have been televised into New Zealand. Yeah, taped Bangladish was like you might as well have played on the moon. And he got in that car and he really racked. There's no rules and nobody in Bangladish would even tell you off, and.
Speaker 1: I've heard he was. I think it was Scott Styrus and Stephen Fleming. I think we're in the car with him and they were just given him apes.
Speaker 4: It was handbrakes on the field and.
Speaker 1: It was to be honest, it was a pretty average car that he'd run, so it wasn't like a Lamborghini or anything totally. So yeah, I think so that you can go and cast your votes on that on social media, on Facebook, on Instagram. How do you like, I know what way you're voting. How do you think the public's going to say it?
Speaker 4: That'll be interesting. Well, a lot of people won't know who Richard Hendley is now. Yeah, I imagine I never saw him. Your generation didn't grow up watching him, and they didn't realize just how much better him and Martin Crowe were than everybody else in our team. I think that's everybody else. Yeah, Him and Martin Crowe were world class players and the rest of the team we're good players, but they just weren't world class. Yeah, and he genuinely got out world class batsman, Richard Handley, he was his quality.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So yeah, I really don't know which way this one's going to go. There's been a lot of landslides over the last week or so, but I think this one's going to come right down to it. So yeah, you can you at home, can go and have your say on Facebook and see. We're going to take a quick break when we come back on a stick with cricket for a bit, as I want to know what the whole central contract situation is and means. It doesn't make any sense to me, so we'll be right back after this quick at break. The news came out probably yesterday or over the weekend, Jerry, that Finnellen and Devin Conway are turning down central contracts from New Zealand Cricket. What does that actually mean? How does a contract thing work?
Speaker 4: How does a contract work?
Speaker 3: Well, it's never been offered one.
Speaker 4: It's an agreement between two parties where they write a whole lot of things on a piece of paper and decide on stuff because they don't trust each other. It's basically what it's light marriage, right, So I think that's the central contract. New Zealand Cricket offer you a certain amount of money and part of that is a central contract. You play a certain amount of games and you are, you're essentially playing for New Zealand and you do whatever New Zealand want you to do. But obviously that means that you only have certain windows that they decide where you can go overseas and play and teach twenty leagues.
Speaker 1: Basically, I think it's almost just the IPL.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is, and eventually you might have something new contract might says that you might be able to have another one somewhere along the line. I don't know. Every contract will be slightly different, but the Central not signing up to Central contract means you don't get the I think it's generally last time I locked, and that was a while ago. It's like two hundred and fifty three hundred thousand dollars that you might get, and that everyone gets contracted to different amounts, but generally it's like, you know, two hundred thousand dollars whatever from New Zealand Cricket. That's like a retainer where they kind of own you. Yeah, and guys now obviously who are having lucrative contracts overseas in the OPL, they're like, well, I don't want to be bound by a New Zealian Cricket Central contract. That's right, because then I'm not going to be able to go and earn money somewhere else and I've only got this limited amount of time that i can earn money as a cricketer.
Speaker 1: So if the central contract's like a marriage, then what these guys are doing now is almost like a side piece, like yeah, when it suits me, I'll text you middle of the night, are you up yep? And then it's on yeah, and it'll be hot and passionate.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's everyone's dream, isn't it. But it's everyone's dream to not have a central contract, yeah, you know, but still be wanted.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: At the same time, well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you gotta have a thing about how New Zealand Cricket feels in this situation.
Speaker 3: You know, do they feel used.
Speaker 4: Well, you gotta say New Zealand Cricket spraying it around because they've they've got they're married to a lot of people, so they've got the choice of a lot of people. You know, as a player, you've only got the one. Yeah, they've got New Zealand Cricket. It's a little bit the New Zealand Cricket are asking a lot of players and the central contract system came from a time when cricket was different. I mean when there was no ipl there was no massive T twenty leagues all around the world.
Speaker 1: So what does it mean for these That doesn't mean that Fanellen and Conway won't get packed, right.
Speaker 4: It doesn't. It just means that they're free to do whatever they want. And then if they come back and say, hey, look you can pick me, I'm available for the series, the New Zealand Cricket can pack them. Whether they do or not is an interesting thing, and there's obviously politics that comes into play there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because of the entire team start doing stuff like that, which it looks like they're going to right, well, that causes problems for Usland cricket.
Speaker 4: Well, hold on, how do we build a team? How do we build a squad when we don't know if these guys are going to be around in a year's time or two years time? Because he's only cricket success has always been based around clarity, and clarity is not the right word, like loyalty, heal, like selection, basically just making the same.
Speaker 3: I can't think of that, that's right, No, I know what you mean.
Speaker 1: It takes players so long to break into the team because they stick with the same players, the selections are the same continuity of selection.
Speaker 4: That's probably a better way to do yet, and so that's always and in building a team, because there's such a big jump between domestic cricket and international cricket that that for guys to you can't sort of be coming between domestic and international just every now and then. It's like, once you're an international cricket then you can kind of focus on such a massive step up and the questions are you good enough to take the step up? Because you can, you can, you can work really really hard on your game and I'm a good domestic player. Can you take the step up to international cricket though, because that's going to require a whole lot more, Which was also the theory around a lot of players that you talk to have played for New Zealand, really good players. They're all like they don't necessarily the guys who end up playing for New Zealand, and not always the guys who have worked really really hard to get there. There are often guys who have got there because they're really talented, and then people know that they've got what it takes if they now have to work hard well, now that they've got there on their talent. Now they work hard, they're going to do really, really well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's quite an interesting philosophy.
Speaker 4: It's different for the sports.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've always found cricket to be the one where, like God, that looks like the hardest yaker, Like you might toil away in the domestic leagues till you're thirty and then get like two caps and that's your career. There's just no certainty. It's so hard to break into that top team and so much luck. I mean, you could be going great guns and you could be doing everything you possibly can. You're training well, you're hitting the.
Speaker 4: Ball beautifully at practice, whatever, and you go out as an opening batsman. Your team, your your captain, loses the toss. It's a green seemer and you get put into bat overhead conditions and not favoring you. They might be overcast or something, the balls moving around. You come up against a bowler who might be an ornary bowler, but then just on their day they put.
Speaker 1: The ball on the right spot in the former lot and neck.
Speaker 4: Someone takes a great catch. I mean, you haven't done a lot wrong, and all of a sudden you got out for first ball duck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was just your first time seeing Bomra. Yeah, what he's supposed to know? Does luck involved? So cricket's a weird game like that.
Speaker 3: I think that too.
Speaker 1: When we talk about, oh, he's not a great player of spin over in the subcontinent, it's like, how do you know? We haven't been there for two years. He wasn't in that team, so it's been four years since you've seen that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can say that a blanket about all New Zealand cricketers. Yeah, all New Zealand crickets are not great players of spin and the subcontinent are. No international players really are that great? Are playing spin on the sub A couple of Australians who can do it, but generally not many.
Speaker 1: Because unless a heavily stoned Jeremy Wells has been on the roller or.
Speaker 3: Not, you're just not going to see that much turn mate.
Speaker 4: I mean when you when you see some of those tests in India and it's turning square on day one, Yeah, I mean, what do you meant to do and you don't get those conditions in New Zealand. You can't practice in those sorts of conditions.
Speaker 1: You can't create them. Now, and just quickly to finish off on cricket. I talked to Heath about it yesterday. The Black des Caps tour of OZ confirmed four tests and twenty six twenty seven.
Speaker 3: Why they announced them so far out?
Speaker 4: When is twenty six twenty seven? So it's not that like next century or when it's.
Speaker 3: Not last summer. It's not next summer.
Speaker 4: It's not even the summer after that, is it? So this is twenty four to twenty five coming up now, then we've got twenty five twenty six, then we've got twenty six twenty seven, so that on three summers away.
Speaker 1: Three years away. Oh man, we may not have any of the same players.
Speaker 4: I can't even I can't even think two summers are here. That's crazy. But I guess what that does do as it does signal for New Zealand cricket fans that they can say to their partners, I'm going away for the Boxing Day Test and three years time and everyone, every partner will sign that off now because it doesn't exist.
Speaker 1: You can't see that far.
Speaker 4: And then later on when it comes to the thing, remember that thing that I said three years ago, three.
Speaker 1: Years ago about this, so don't act surprise now I reckon it's.
Speaker 4: The only reason they're announcing it. But that'll be huge. I went to the last one where we got smashed. Yeah, really hard place to play cricket Australia, really hard place to turn one, especially on Boxing Day at the MCG. But but I'm a massive crowd. But that'll be it'll be huge. I'll be there, Yeah, I'll be there. I've locked at him with the partner.
Speaker 3: Oh you've already said that.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. As soon as they hit the announcement, I texted Tozzy immediately.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're going to dig that text out in three years total screenshot at it. Yeah, but they come around quickly. So has the This is a segue, by the way, if it does your planet home. So has the America's Cup. The preliminary regatta starts on Thursday. Yeah, if you can believe that. Then next week they have the Louison Cup and that decides who races us for the America's Cup. That's right, which starts in like October. Why is saying why do we have such a hard on for the America's Cup in New Zealand.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a historical thing, isn't it. But dates back to Michael Fay and the Plastic Fantastic The nineteen eighty six nineteen eighty seven challenge is that the mantle still down at the it's the big boat.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Then we went through all that nonsense with the Big Boat and all those crazy challenges in the late eighties. I think the Big Boat was nineteen eighty eight, right when Michael Faye, Michael Faye, very wealthy man, decided that he would go to New York and challenge the New York Yacht Club and found some legal loophole which said that the yacht club had to accept the challenge from a syndicate.
Speaker 3: That's so sailing.
Speaker 4: We put together this giant boat. New York Club put together a catamaran absolutely with Dennis Connor. Yeah, and just completely destroyed us. And then we kind of claimed that they were cheating, but we went to the court in the first place. Anyway.
Speaker 3: That's compet it's so sailing.
Speaker 1: There's always a law suits involved, there's like court, there's like trademarks and patterns.
Speaker 3: That's the latest headline.
Speaker 1: One of the teams is going another team about the fiber that they've made their mesh out of that covers one of the holes and it's like you've got a honeycomb pattern there. Now, we agreed that it was only going to be you know, Octagones, but you've gone honeycomb.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think it's it's I mean, it's the oldest prize in the world, is it. Yeah, it's the oldest cup in the world, the America's Cup, and it means a lot. It's hard to win. It took I mean I think England had it and then America took it, and then England never got it back, so it was really hard to win. And when Australia too won it in nineteen eighty two, that was massive. They had a wing Keel Alan Bond put together that challenge and that was amazing that they took it out of America because nobody thought that would ever happen. I mean, it wasn't called the America's Cup. It was only called that because they couldn't get it out of America, right, And then all of a sudden, all these rich guys around the world went, oh, hold on, this is quite fun. This is something to spend my money on, and this is a massive challenge for people who love challenges. And so now it's still the same way. You've got billionaires going against each other, and.
Speaker 1: Then our team is called Emirates. Yeah, there's like the Prada, Gucci Vesaci a lingy boat as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, totally. And is Oracle still going?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's having a look at the team names.
Speaker 4: Okay, so do we get to go I don't know how it is this time around, but do we get to go on the Louis Do we go on the Louis Vuitton even though we're in part of the Defender series? Do we also get to sail in the Louis Vuitton because they used to?
Speaker 1: I did say that all teams are sailed in the louisdon the preliminary regatta, but I don't know whether that included us or not.
Speaker 4: Okay, if you sort of want to do that, when't you so you can you can actually practice?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, I've always said, if you know how, whoever's hosting it, and technically we are despite it being over in Spain, they get to decide what the boat's going to. Yeah, they do, and then everyone else has to sort of fall.
Speaker 3: In line with that.
Speaker 1: Well, why don't we stack the deck entirely in our favor and go Wakahama and we're cool. We have the full like you know, not the Wakahama club.
Speaker 4: That's good.
Speaker 3: Cool, Yeah, why not because I dare say Switzerland wouldn't be able to keep up with us.
Speaker 4: No, useless, No, that's that's not about cool, I think. But part of it. Now you've got it. There's a delicate balancing act because of sale GP now too. Yeah, so there's a delicate balancing inc between making sure that you win it and making it so other syndicates want to still be involved in it because this is like this little dangling carrots.
Speaker 1: Right, you have to leave the door open just a little bit because it's so because it's such a rich guy sport, and it's very rich guy to stack the deck entirely in your favors and no one.
Speaker 3: Else even has a sniff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: But it's like playing a game with like one of your little cousins. If you want to play, you know, backyard cricket and your nephew is the only one who could bowl to you.
Speaker 3: You can't just cart.
Speaker 1: Him around the neighborhood, no, because he's going to stop bowling to Well, that's.
Speaker 4: It's totally yeah, So this will be an interesting one because I don't know, I don't know anything in the lead up to it. I don't know how we've been going. I mean, ultimately, it generally just comes down to who's got the fastest boat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I guess that's why that's the everyone necessar sailed the same boat, because otherwise to just be who's the richest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but even then, like the fastest boat, but they're still slightly different. Yeah, there'll be some little tiny little thing.
Speaker 1: That's how we that's how you know how many years ago it was when we were up by eleven races or something and then they came.
Speaker 4: Back and how amazing was that sped? All? That was amazing? Cock. So what happens if we because you seem to know a lot about America's company, what happens if we defend us? Like do we bring it back to New Zealand or do we take it on the road again?
Speaker 1: Well, I think if we win this, Russell Kurtz and just Cinder our durn' gonna have this ever mma fight about whether it comes back to New Zealand or not.
Speaker 3: It seemed to be what was happening last time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like we'll only do it if the government gives us X amount of funding And then government's like, why would we give you any funding for this? Yeah, then fuck you will take it somewhere else.
Speaker 4: I think I want to. I like it when it's in New Zealand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, think it should be if we're defending it, it should be our right. Yeah, to just feel like, look we're doing it. But you know, like I said before, such a rich guy sport. There's lawyers involved.
Speaker 4: Well, there's rich guys sport unless it's New Zealand. Yeah, right, we're like the least rich. Well yeah, but still the government. We're the only country there's the government that funds the syndicon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's what makes me make it feel makes it feel like a rich guy's sport because it's like, what are the sports lobbying the government about?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a big man of tourism and yeah it's the rich people bring their boats over here and all that sort of crap.
Speaker 1: I don't think it will have I think if we I think the president's been set now, it's going to be hosted in you know, some somewhere else Mediterranean city.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well there's.
Speaker 4: Miles away New Zealand is in the New Zealand's so far away from moving it is we forget because we live here. Yeah, but we're a long way away from most of them.
Speaker 3: Were not even on most maps.
Speaker 4: No, and we're miles away from Australia, and Australia is miles away from the rest of the world.
Speaker 1: Having said all of that, they are there's a sport raced on yachts, so like they have a way of getting here. I would understand that, although they used to have to, you know that, So the.
Speaker 4: Boat used to have to get across the Atlantic and then it was the same boat that would then have to go on the match racing. It was like, no wonder, you'd never win.
Speaker 1: That living on it bloody Atlantic and living on it for six months.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was shitting off the bow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that's what I mean, Like, i'd understand if you know that, if one didn't want to come down, how do you drive your car across?
Speaker 3: The sailors have gotten I love your logic.
Speaker 1: We're going to take one more quick breakice before we do the snack changing sports scholarship. We're binge watching. A sport is a sport if you want to win that you can text Chip two three two three six, follow the link and you could be in to win the Ultimate acc Price pack. Quick Break will come back with yours please.
Speaker 2: Yours please, brought you by Leader.
Speaker 4: Top.
Speaker 1: This is your chance at home to get involved in the podcast. Pass on your feedback first caller, heir, yours please. You're gonna fellows, No, just you.
Speaker 2: Guys should get behind it. At the seventy seventh minute and the seventy seventh second.
Speaker 4: The cloud of the crowd standing ovation to the end of the game.
Speaker 1: For Shawnee J.
Speaker 2: It's logical thing to happen.
Speaker 4: It makes sense.
Speaker 1: Don't argue with me about it. Make happen seven seven, seven, seventh, seventh.
Speaker 4: I like seventy seventh minute, in the seventy seventh second, there's not seventy seven seconds in a minute, So did that work? That would go back into the seventy eighth minute, seventeen seconds into that.
Speaker 1: You're asking them the Warriors faithful to do a lot of mats at the ground, and that far into the game they're going to be a few diesels in by that stage.
Speaker 4: I think the beginning of the game they wouldn't be able to do that.
Speaker 3: Man now maybe the seventh minute.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Did you see the renaming Mount Smart Stadium Shawn Johnson Stadium for whatever that means.
Speaker 4: I don't know how I feel about that. I always find that's a bit weird. I think great player shawne. J obviously played for the club forever, Yeah, massively, you know, a great a great servant for the game, good guy and done a huge amount. But I just always think renaming grounds, you're not one week, You're not renaming the ground. No, it's not true. You're just you're just saying that the name of the person when you say the grounds. I find that weird, so do I.
Speaker 1: It's the biggest lip service. You don't get to decide what the ground is called. It's called Mount Smart you know it? Well, I mean I know something else, isn't it. It's called Go Go Hard Stadium or whatever?
Speaker 4: Go media as well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know, Oh media is that called?
Speaker 4: What was it? Ericson Q and stadium? I don't know ericson Stadium anyway. It's been called lots of things. Yeah, a shudder, it's been called a shit. It's a bit of a shudder.
Speaker 3: Hard to get to. I'll give you that it's very hard to get to. I would say that the once you're there it's great.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you're in the half of industrial Penrose.
Speaker 4: There's a a I don't know, it's just faces a particular way, which means that there's a sol westerly which just whips through there. Yeah again, so Westy whips read and pat too. Where's not whep through?
Speaker 3: Well, that's right, I did.
Speaker 1: I have talked to players for the Warriors who are from Australia who have said the reason that the Warriors can't sign Australian players is because when you come here from Ozzie, you stay near the airport and then you drive from the airport through industrial South Auckland Mount Smart Stadium and then back again. You're like, fuck, that's it.
Speaker 4: Past the tippet worry. It's it's not a it's not a glamorous drive, No, it's not. And it's a hard place to get ubers for some reason. I don't know why.
Speaker 1: It's a nightmare.
Speaker 4: Yeah, at least you can, at least with Mount Smart, you can put on a hiver's vest and just stand outside one of those small businesses and pretend that it's yours. And charge people to park in there. At least you can do that.
Speaker 3: Sometimes they ask for your keys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's the home of the entrepreneurial spirit. I like that part of it.
Speaker 1: Can we just hold onto your keys because because sometimes we have to move cars?
Speaker 3: Absolutely not. There's no fucking way I'm giving you my keys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but good on Shawney j Yeah. And I saw him last night on the news on one News, and he was he's very emotional about I know, he's a guy that's actually very deep down and he's a bit of a soft and he's an emotional dude, and I could I could see it last night. This means a lot to him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, I agree with you. I'm looking forward to watching that final home game as well.
Speaker 3: I think I'll be on the.
Speaker 1: Mett Jerry Show on Friday. Julane usually puts a punt on your shows.
Speaker 4: There are he does?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just the tip yep. I'm thinking Seawan Johnson to score.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, he played well last week, I thought, and he scored. Yeah, he scored.
Speaker 1: But like every player on the field is going to be like, let's get Sean Johnson to try.
Speaker 4: Yeah, why have people not been when Shawn Johnson scored that try, was like, it made me realize, why have people not been running off Eden Vanoa Blake all season?
Speaker 1: If I played for the Warriors, that is all I'd be doing. Let's be hanging out the back of Edin Vanoa Blake.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean the guy has not once gone backwards, it will been driven backwards in a tackle the entire year.
Speaker 3: He's never been tackled onto his back.
Speaker 4: No, he just he's got beautiful feet. Man. He's going to be a huge loss.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, he is going to be a massive loss. Like you don't really although we are replacing him with James Fisher Harris.
Speaker 3: You know that swings in roundabouts.
Speaker 4: That's true. But James Fisher Harrison coming to a different time in his career, isn't.
Speaker 1: He maybe about the same age as like Okay, yeah, that'd be up there with sort of two of the top three four props in the game. So I was saying when the when they were first announced that Adan Vanoa Blake's leaving, I was like, there should be a trade window and the only player I'd trade him for would be James Fisher Harris. And months later got my Wish so okay.
Speaker 4: But you say that James Fisher Harris better defense, bitter, slightly better defensively, not quite as good with the.
Speaker 1: Ball, not like this year and last year Ad and Fanoa black Smith's scoring tries, which for a props kind of rear.
Speaker 3: I would say it's.
Speaker 1: An if at level thing, or like a kre thing like Edit Vanoa Blake. It just doesn't seem the body language seems like he just doesn't really care, like he's always been so much better than everyone else. He'll sort of wander around the field and when he's got the ball, he'll smash you, and on defense he will put a head on you. But like other than that, he's sort of strolling around. I feel like James Fisher Harris is gonna install a bit of monner into the team, which I think is the direction the club needs to go. I'd also be pissed off of us Jess Deevanger. This is his last game at at Mount Smart Stadium as well. Yeah, and then they're not even renaming a stand for him, No, they don't. Even Fritz's Wieners can't get rebranded to essenas.
Speaker 4: I saw him last night on the news when he had here when he first started playing.
Speaker 1: Yeah freaky Yeah. It was like we were looking at photos of Lee Heart when he had here the other day. Anyway, let's knock listening on the head. Thank you very much for joining me this morning, Jerry, thank you, min I, and I'll see you on Friday for the old just the tip, beautiful beauty.
Speaker 3: Cheers man.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the ACC's Agender podcast, brought to you by Export Ultra. For more episodes, like and follow on iHeartRadio for of you get your podcasts