Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talk sed B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Take another's it is out, The test is over.
Speaker 3: Goodness smoke wows.
Speaker 4: A beauty It is out.
Speaker 3: Here you guys. Just Delivery has in users to Bowl.
Speaker 1: On the Front Foot with Brian Waddell and Jeremy Cody, powered by News Talks hed B at iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: Wow a dazzling display of top order batting and a controlled efficient bowling effort demolished South Africa at the World T twenty. As we celebrate another finals, Bird on the Front Foot with Masterstroke by Razine helping you master your decorating projects. Does the current T twenty competition though lack integrity? Will try and answer that question by a British journalist and the White Ferns Dispatch Zimbabwe. But is it about the results or about the overall development of the women's game?
Speaker 4: But it's World T twenty.
Speaker 2: This unlike me, Jerry to be celebrating and get excited over a tea tweitty game and we've won it.
Speaker 3: The first time You've actually enjoyed.
Speaker 5: You look as if you're enjoying. It's great, But lo wdds. Yeah, I think there's an element. I mean, given the performances of the two sides leading up to it, and given the hiding South Africa dished out to us in the group phase, and that New Zealand had come from those slow turning conditions in Sri Lanka back to India, and that one of our main bowl has virtually stepped off the flight from New Zealand.
Speaker 3: It was an unexpected win.
Speaker 5: I think that's fair to say it, but that's not a complaint in capitals. So we got a good start. I think we won the toss and we bowled first. I think that was very important in the context of the game. Mconkie, I never know whether it's mconkie or maconchie. You guys will have to decide, right, so McConkie second.
Speaker 3: Over.
Speaker 5: What it meant was I think that and that South Africa had to then make an unfamiliar choice. They a faced the weight of expectation because of their batting and so on, and they're unaccustomed to their top order going so quickly. And what it meant was because it wasn't the customary innings they had established over the tournament, they suddenly had to work out whether to you know, to get a total. They either just batted on the way that they did, or they had to get to the tenth over. I reckon eleventh over by not losing virtually any further work.
Speaker 3: It's maybe one max and then attack. That meant you.
Speaker 5: Would've had Mark Gramore Brevis who was at the crease. Then after the mc McConkey had got his two wickets, then you had still Miller, Stubbs, Jansen and.
Speaker 3: Bosh to go for those last half of the game. But they didn't. They chose the first option.
Speaker 5: They didn't delay the attack, and therefore they started to lose further wickets.
Speaker 3: And I don't know how you guys.
Speaker 5: Saw that general overall pattern, because by the time ten eleven overs came round, they were five down.
Speaker 4: Peter Holland is back with us, and I'm sure there's one thing that I sort of gleaned out of all of this was, apart from the fact they won and won comprehensively, your favorite man, the captain had an outstanding game really in terms of changing his bowlers and doing all he had to do, plus winning a toss, which is no me achievement competition.
Speaker 6: Did that first of all, I just want to express my enormous for ustration at this victory, because I've put a quite a lot of work and effort into just working through what my expectations were, which was too on this on the podcast today to explain why New Zealand had failed and lost, what the good things we could take out of it and so on. Well, I've had to rip all that up, haven't I. I mean, that's gone down the toilet.
Speaker 4: No, you can keep it for next week.
Speaker 5: Is that why you were late onto the podcast?
Speaker 3: You've blocked the laboratory.
Speaker 6: I'm confidently predicted, you know, we're going to lose. We five nil down and everything else. They flogged us the other day, they flogged in the and I just predicted they are the best best twenty twenty team in the world. Well yeah, well, well bugging me, excuse me? Apologies? Well, I apologize for all of that. And it's been the complete revelation and what a performance.
Speaker 2: Yes, indeed, and to a certain extent, you know, we probably can revive the fact that South Africa are chokers again at the top level.
Speaker 4: Or is that a bit unfair?
Speaker 6: I always refrained from the word chokers because you know, if you constantly get into semifinals and finals but you lose. Yeah, it's a bit like Greg Norman. He was called a choker, but gee was he won a lot? And that doesn't necessarily mean that I, you know, not that I was ever choker. It was never any good. But so I know, I just think that on a day, and I think the conditions are better for New Zealand.
Speaker 5: Look, we've had a hell of a lot of semifinals. Are we chokers? So? And we haven't got too many, you know, too many cups, I got to say, so, I don't think it is. I got a couple of questions, though you've you've given Mitchell Santina the big you know, Rev put McConkie have bowled another over well at some point, at some point in it, please, I mean Miller is a left hander, Robarda was a left hander.
Speaker 3: India will have more.
Speaker 5: And then my next question that you guys can answer for me is should niche.
Speaker 3: And bowl in the power play? And then a wider question should he bowl?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 2: Didn't we answer that last week that he shouldn't have been in the power play? Whether he should have bowled, I'm not sure. I think he picked up a wicket, didn't he? But you know, yeah, the McConkie one is interesting because I mean he's their choice, isn't he In terms of selection. He's there as a replacement for a player who was probably considered in the first eleven braceball and you know, to get to open the bowling. It's a hard thing to decide, moose whether or not the bowlers won the game or the batseman won the game.
Speaker 6: Oh that conundrum. Yeah, this guy mconkie, he's he's been delivering over a long time, hasn't hears and been a good player for a long time. It goes back to this stuff around you know, the Aussies and and and you know they come into the game after a lot of experience, and we've seen this with Bracewell, now Maconkey and others. It's it says a lot for it. So one not overawed, but two can deliver both bad and ball. Again, I've got to take my hat off to the selectors, which I ordinarily wouldn't do, but I think that the selections of interesting. I do have a question mark about Nichem and wondered whether I was I was interested in one that he was playing because I thought we had a pretty good settled side from the previous one, but that was picked in different conditions. Doerry, I have a question for you that perhaps the listeners could we mind enjoy it? There's conversations about black soil now I think I know what that means. Is that can you is that just because it's it bakes harder and doesn't break up or what is it? Because it seems to me that we played better in those sort of conditions on these in these sort of conditions where we played the one day as against India.
Speaker 5: Groundsman Cane, I think it just oh look, I just think that it's it's slower, isn't it, and it might just bounce a little bit less.
Speaker 3: I'm not too sure. I didn't.
Speaker 5: I didn't play in India, so I can't really answer that they're going to they've got both when they when they do manage to go to the final. Amanabad has is the place for the final, has got both red and black in the different parts of their square or their block, if you like. So we don't know exactly which one it's going to be, but certainly Finellen after the match spoke about it being a black soil pitch and he enjoyed that, and he had played on it once before and so he had some idea about that seemed to suit him. Actually, didn't it McConkey. Both was shorter balls, weren't they. Those two wickets he got on that second over both slightly shorter and I think slightly quicker, and they bounced a little bit more because the pop got a sort of quite high up on the bat, didn't he towards the splice and that's why he got no power into.
Speaker 3: It and was caught mid on.
Speaker 5: And then Rickleton first ball got a short one outside his off stump and that bounced as well, and he sliced it just a little bit as well to Alan at backward point. So that I just thought that was quite smart bowling actually, And that.
Speaker 3: Might be that experience you spoke about.
Speaker 5: But they were important, important wickets, I think, very important in terms of the game.
Speaker 2: Oh well, to get those players out, you know, they can be a real danger. And then later to get Brievius out. He's been one of the leading scorers well in terms of strike great rather than runs scored. But you know, you look look at that, I mean Alan Allen's innings often he gets to fifty or sixty and is inclined to get out. Isn't he you know, trying to increase the tempo. But I mean his innings thirty three balls. I mean, as as Mitchell Senter said after the game.
Speaker 4: It's not bad, is it.
Speaker 6: Mitchell sat Is He is known for the for understatement. But on that point, I think we did touch on it in an earlier podcast. Alan is maturing and seems to be coming into understanding his game better. He showed some patience when there were in other conditions. But I also note that in recently come out of the Big Bash, he yeah, he got hundreds there and big scores. So he's working his game out and needs to go on and is doing it. But that was some innings. I mean, my lord, I mean, I mean, I've had messages from the Netherlands which says of something about the interest in the in the tournament as well, I might add, and that that in itself and it says here admitting black in the Finava soil. Again, yeah, but it says something about it because people are watching this and as I say, I'm getting, you know, getting messages quite a few out of the Netherlands. That says something about this twenty twenty which frankly I thought would be a bit of a wallfest, which is hardly what it's been.
Speaker 3: Well, I would say Fanell and remember the name.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm going to have to review my lack of trust in people. No surname, And I also wonder what New Zealand's net run raisers at the moment.
Speaker 3: But anyway, Look, it was a special innings, wasn't it.
Speaker 5: Very clean, hitting, great power and I think good options as well. Look, I thought anything up outside off it just goes.
Speaker 3: I mean he hits straight.
Speaker 5: In fact, he and Cipher both hit straight very well and powerfully, so it forces the bowlers you've either got a bowl very wide of off stump but not a wide, or you've got to pull your length back. And I thought they handled the short stuff also quite well, apart from Cipher's one where there was a missed catch fairly early on, wasn't there But you know, I just feel that he played very very well. Also Maharaj. He got back to Maharaj and played him virtually from the back foot and he got leg side of it and he tucked it or flicked it on the on side for two or four. If he ragged it down a little bit, it went to cow corner. If he pitched it up and he saw the lynx and it was full enough, he.
Speaker 3: Just bashed him straight over the bowler's head.
Speaker 5: So he had all that, all those components very very much under control. I thought, Yeah, there was a bit of luck in the first three overs, I think for both the bats and just a tad you know, fortune sat on their shoulders a bit. There were some outside middles that were close to fieldsmen or went over and went to boundary. But once they got going, it was very hard to bowl to them, I think, you know. And so what did they get to one hundred and seventeen for one so quickly?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And we tend to forget that. Seifert played an important role. In fact, he started it all often. He took a major amount of the strike and started the thing early. Allen had to wait. He went or a good five balls without getting many runs, which was quite unbelievable. But interesting about the spin they opted for just one spin bowl of Maharaj. New Zealand went spin option, pretty much, didn't they with McConkie. Okay, only the.
Speaker 4: One over, but senter Revendra nine off two.
Speaker 2: You know that that's nine overs of spin and eight overs of seam and three overs of what Niche balls.
Speaker 5: I think Revendra is actually becoming quite a smart left armor when someone's attacking him.
Speaker 3: I think what he's doing is and I think.
Speaker 5: We saw just little incidences that we also saw in Sri Lanka. And of course it was turning a lot more over there. But any batsman that goes too early before he's released the ball, he can pull it a little bit wider and he drags the length just a little shorter as well. Okay, it may not have got wickets in terms of stumping here because it didn't turn so much, but you know he was able.
Speaker 3: They had to then adjust the stroke.
Speaker 5: But he's very aware and he you're almost bowling like a batsman. If you're coming at me, I will do this, and I think he notices that, and that's been quite a change in his bowling. I think because people are after him, there were catches dropped off him, weren't there. I mean, that's that's something also to mention guys. Revenger dropping a catch off Markram and the off the Ferguson over which I thought was quite a comfortable catch. He misjudged it at midwicket and then the catch off Ravendra himself sort of a running outfield catch which needed judgment and he got there easily, in fact didn't get a hand to it.
Speaker 3: It hit him on the chest.
Speaker 5: And I just wonder whether New Zealand are doing the catching under lights, because I noticed I don't know whether you guys did. When ferguson Court was at the pop first wicket he said to Sody as Sody brought something on and left, those lights were in my eyes.
Speaker 3: It wasn't as easy as it looked.
Speaker 5: And I just wonder whether New Zealand hadn't done the catching that you need to do.
Speaker 3: And I hope that they do that before the next game.
Speaker 2: Yes, well that's going to be in ama Aband and of course there's plenty of lights there and there'll be a full house. At the moment, we don't know who they're going to be playing, but it's going to be an interesting test.
Speaker 6: Most I was simply saying that I think what we're seeing is is a lot of our players evolving and developing with experience, and we're talking to Revenge of becoming a very useful left arm, the left arm spinner. As Jerry was just discussing the way I fell out and played Maharage. That's the sort of stuff that I mean. Jerry spent five minutes saying what I said in about one but that's what we're talking about.
Speaker 3: I like to make my comments clear.
Speaker 6: Yes, exactly quite right. That's that to me is a maturing, maturing player who's getting to understand their games. And I've seen that's going across the broad We're also getting contributions across from from pretty much the entire team, and that's got to be comfortable of great encouragement to us supporters of the Zealand cricket team going going into the next game looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, I think they've achieved more than many of us might have expected.
Speaker 4: I expected the top four.
Speaker 2: I got to say, like you, I had to screw up my script most because I was expecting South Africa, who were many people's favorites and who had played with the sort of efficiency and consistency that you expect from a strong side. I expected them to win. I didn't expect and I won't be expecting the New Zealand cricket board to find the players for failing if they don't win the final, the way Pakistan has done for their players for an underwhelming T twenty World Cup campaign. The players have been fined equivalent of US eighteen thousand it's about thirty thousand New Zealand for missing out on the semi finals of the event.
Speaker 6: I mean, I.
Speaker 2: Just find that incomprehensible that any cricket board could do that to their players.
Speaker 4: But I guess that's Pakistan.
Speaker 5: Isn't it fine by the board or the government who knows they're both. The second thing I guess I would say about that hasn't been backdated to other sides that have lost. The third thing I might think about was what about that guy Fahan who's got three hundred and eighty three runs in an average of about eighty You're going to find him?
Speaker 3: Are they going to find Hessen as well? The coach?
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's disappointment when teams don't do as well as you would like, but finding them says we're going to attach your money value to that disappointment, and obviously the PCB is short of cash.
Speaker 6: I have great sympathy for the Pakistani players, not only getting walloped by their own people. They're getting expressly excluded from other competitions. I mean that's you know, it's not their fault. I think that. Yeah, Okay, they didn't get him, but there were quite a few other teams that didn't get in the semi finals either. I just have a great for them getting that wap from every direction.
Speaker 4: Well, there's a heck of an element of good luck, isn't there.
Speaker 3: And yeah, and they had the rain, Yeah.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 2: And and even though they scored well, they're up against a run rate pressure in the last game against Sri Lanka, which brings us to an interesting point raised by Tim Wigmore, the man who wrote the history of Test cricket, wrote an article in The Telegraph talking about this World t twenty saying it has no integrity and India is to blame. Cricket is the only sport to precede knockout stages as they look to try and promote their own performance. Do you imagine that these tournaments are lacking in integrity? As he says that tournaments are built on integrity, competitiveness, consistency in fairness, and yet you know there are so many rules that make it a lot more difficult for sides to play. When you think back to how they decided the Super eight competition.
Speaker 6: Well, I think I think the idea and the word integrity is probably best considered to be aspiration as opposed to an obligation. And I think anyone who's been around and has observed cricket and possibly other sports should be well aware the fact that perhaps things are not as we might like, but they what's the word, seem to be some teams seem to get better luck when the cards are drawn, so to speak, or whatever. And that's just the way it's been and I don't think that's going to change anytime soon, would be my observation. Cynical perhaps, but that's the way it is.
Speaker 3: And yeah, no, that's not cynical. It's just a fact.
Speaker 5: Now. I think we've got to acknowledge it that India have been favored once again. You know, India have distinct advantages. They've had them in the past. You'd look at the guy on a situation and Lasty twenty World Cup. They knew where they were going to play their semi they weren't weren't going to do that otherwise, so they could therefore select players and their squad to suit the conditions there. And then don't forget the Champion's trophy where they went down to Dubai and they stayed there the entire time while everybody else traveled for hours. They could practice at the same ground continually, a nice gentle product bar ride back to the hotel each day. They knew the venue will they knew the lights, they knew the jew factor, they knew the angles, they knew the ends.
Speaker 3: For bowlers, they were all set up in their changing room.
Speaker 5: I mean, for heaven's sake, they always play the last game, you know, in the group stages, just in case, so that they know exactly how many overs they have to get the runs in, or how many wickets they have to take, or those sorts of things.
Speaker 3: And that's been.
Speaker 5: Five out of the last, so the guy points out in his little article, five of the last six World Cups they play the last group game. Yes, you don't mind it being once, that's fair enough, but five out of six is a bit more than what you would expect. I don't like the preceding guys either. I don't like that at all. Frankly, to have all the top teams from the group stage straight into that group. That meant that, you know, the West Indies defeat of England, for example, England have got through West Indies, haven't. The West Indies defeated England and smashed them really by thirty odd runs and about half their wickets left, and yet they're out of it.
Speaker 3: You know someone was going to miss out.
Speaker 5: I mean, you get to a point where the two top sides are playing each other in the final eventually, don't you. But if you put them all in the same group, two of them drop out very early or earlier, and spreading them between the two group getting.
Speaker 2: To the super eight stage, teams are not getting rewarded for what they've achieved in the round robin. You know, if you win your competition, it should be not a given, but it should be an easier path to the final and not have to come up against sides that you've beaten previously. And I just find it, you know, very very difficult to accept that that's a world tournament. I mean, I suppose we can all sit back and say, well, it's only T twenty, it's not the it's not the World Test Championship, where nothing dodgy was done there in any of the games, was there twenty nineteen.
Speaker 4: I'll get over that, Brian, for goodness sake.
Speaker 3: Yes, get over it.
Speaker 6: Brian, No, no, no, no, I'm sorry. You can't get over that.
Speaker 2: And we never Gee, you and I two weeks in a have agreed on something.
Speaker 6: We're going to stop this.
Speaker 3: I'm feeling quite quite alone here at the moment. I don't agree with either of you.
Speaker 5: It's right, but it's not the way you play tournaments, is it.
Speaker 3: And that's the point that is making that he's you win your group. There's an advantage two of the top sides.
Speaker 5: When there are four groups in the group phase, two of them going to one one lot, two of them go to the other, not all four together.
Speaker 3: What it is about is cash.
Speaker 5: They want those broadcasters want basically money from Biggish games because they're all the leading sides. But it knocks out two of them a bit early because only two can go through to the semi final phase.
Speaker 6: Yeah, unfortunately, Jury, I mean, you're right, it is all about cash, and if it is all about cash, you can be misassured that it isn't probably arranged in the in the logical and fair manner that we might all like so, but as we I think we all know we've acknowledged that's not going to change anytime soon. Sadly, No, but that's that's it, and we can yeah, I've got well checked. Yeah, nothing else.
Speaker 2: No, it changes of course the situation. One set of the competition has played in round robin and then while you get it round robin for the Super Eights, you do get at least a one off chance. And New Zealand has proven that, haven't they That they would have probably been regarded as fourth team. Yet they're unto the final. So you know, but Tim week more, we might get him on again. He's interesting man to talk to and he's he's certainly got some very very harsh comments about the running of the game. He's taken a bit of stick. Of course, everybody's got an and said, oh, you're just whining because England doesn't control the game anymore, et cetera, et cetera. But you know that shouldn't be the background for anybody's opinion on anything. The fact that the game is now run by the Indian Cricket Board, and that's what it says ICC is the Indian Credit Council, isn't it will get.
Speaker 6: The point is though, Brian, if you read it dispassionately, there's nothing there that you can say that I disagree with. And he's the point of whether it will change it, it doesn't matter, but it's we're having the conversation about it, and that's that's no bad thing. So yeah, I would say absolutely do it, and I'm not going to criticize. I'm going to but I can't fault them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but if I was a West Indies player, I'd be hacked off. Actually absolutely.
Speaker 5: Our team played well in the group phase. We should have had either Pakistan, Tri Lanka or England on his inn two of them. I should have been playing against those teams and not India and South Africa. Yes, they've they've been forced prematurely as far as I can see, to leave the tournament.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 2: And they played a good brand of cricket as well too, with hit Meyer leading away with the bat and some of their bottles. Yeah job, Yeah, Well, we'll waiting to see the outcome of that. Next week we'll review the final for the World T twenty and we might be celebrating again with a bottle of champagne for the black Caps.
Speaker 1: Brian Waddell Jeremy Coney on the front foot.
Speaker 2: Have the White Ferns been well served by the tour by Zimbabwe to New Zealand. Well, it's hard to make a judgment considering the disparity in rankings, but they've achieved results that have been required and without the top order batting get too many opportunities.
Speaker 4: Only three people have batted. One thing was a success though.
Speaker 2: Coach Ben Sawer points to the use of Izy Gaze as an opener in place of Susie Bates.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Look, it's something we've spoken about a lot into this and I think you saw that during Super Smash that it is a shift that we're going to make. We've had that discussion with Susie as well. So easy will go to the top of the order and hopefully she's there for the World Cup. There's a lot of water to go under the bridge for that, but that's a role that she's going to potentially play for us, and I think you can see that she's got the intent that you know, we feel that, especially in England, the schools are going to be really high and we need someone to go out there and do that for us. SUSI will play a role for us in the middle order and we feel that that strengthens that up as well. So yeah, I think we've got the best of both worlds. Bit of experience, I guess later on in the innings, but with easy gaze, just that real power and intent that she brings, I think something that we're going to need in the UK.
Speaker 4: And how to Sawyer rate the captaincy of merely ker in her first official out thing.
Speaker 7: This series is probably about giving people a few opportunities and I think she did that really really well. She managed the Bowl as well. Yeah, the challenge will be for her when we come up against those I guess higher ranked teams that when the pressure comes on, But I'm sure she'll do with it. She's she's an amazing thinker of the game and her on field tactics I think are spot on. So yeah, it's not a concern for me at all how she's going to go with the captaincy on the field.
Speaker 2: It's pretty hard to make the judgment Jerry, in terms of, as I said, the disparity and rankings, but the end result is that it's doing something I suppose to widen the international game. Although should it be done this way or should there be another level of women's cricketers to play against.
Speaker 5: Look, I think it's good that there isn't at the moment, though, is there. I mean, I don't know whether the New Zealand could have played a sort of a mixed selection against them.
Speaker 3: Perhaps, don't know.
Speaker 5: But it's a good run out, you know for the for the New Zealanders, they might build some confidence from it. They've won convincingly in the three games, and it may it could be larger in the ODIs because the game is longer.
Speaker 3: We'll wait and see.
Speaker 5: Of course, those those three matches to be played in Otago, I guess and Dunedin. So look, I think gays will probably feel a bit happier about it.
Speaker 3: I still think there are things.
Speaker 5: She closes her face and doesn't get the shoulder into the drive, so if you don't do that, you can't hit on the off side. She basically restricts the areas she can score in and to the leg side and backward a point, and that's sometimes with a reverse sweep. So I think there are things that she can improve. But if that's where they want her to bat, to try and take advantage of a power play.
Speaker 3: That's fair enough. We got the Tea twenty World Cup coming up in England, haven't we for the women, so let's see how it goes.
Speaker 5: Amelia Kerr was a was you know, a class apart to be honest from the other players. And I thought Zimbabwe looked busy in the field. They died, they tried hard. I like the look of their legs spinner as well. Look and Suma, I think her name is Tsuma. I thought she was the only one who challenged to meally occur a little bit. New Zealand have got illing. She needs to me just a little more pace to bring swing into play. At the moment, it's just a wee bit slow, I think, especially against the better players. Wickets for all the New Zealanders, let's just let's just wait and see.
Speaker 3: It's a pretty there.
Speaker 5: I mean, players like Maddie Green and you know, they just didn't even get a back, did they.
Speaker 8: So that's a bit of a shame. I guess I think that it's had to take a lot from it. The opportunity to bring some new players in is probably good, give them experience, but I don't think we can.
Speaker 6: Take a lot out of it at all. And it would be nice to have other opposition, but I guess we're obligated to to take these sides on a rotation basis. And frankly it's important for Zimbabwe too to have exposure to these.
Speaker 5: I think I just think Zimbabwe got to just soak up everything they.
Speaker 3: Can exactly, don't they know.
Speaker 5: That's got to get as much as they can get from the pitchers, from their bowling, try to get access to cur if you're if you're a leg spinner or a batsman, sit down with them after the game, absorb ideas how do they practice swinging the ball, how do they get spinning it in accuracy? Just everything they can get out of the New Zealand is to make use of this opportunity to become better players.
Speaker 3: The coaches as well.
Speaker 5: The whole thing is a developmental tour as far as they concerned, and I hope New Zealand it looks as though they're awake to it and aware of it and trying to help those players and that's how the tour can become a value.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the interesting thing too is that there are two new players selected and both performed adequately. YEA night in the medium pace picked up a couple of wickets. She's got a bit to learn, but this is where she's going to learn it quite clearly, because they don't get the opportunities to learn to play cricket anywhere else. And Nancy Patel I thought was an interesting off spinner.
Speaker 4: I favored.
Speaker 2: I must admit my Wellington player as a choice, Zara Jentley, who's had a very good season. But Patel looked very useful as an off spinner. Five wickets at an average of seven, and she took her opportunities and that's encouraging. So I guess it just widens the depth to some extent, because there's not a lot of depth in the New Zealand game to play in the national cricket most, is there.
Speaker 6: No, I think you're right. That was the point. I was trying to amaze that we've had an opportunity to bring new players. And although I think it's a bit mean of New Zealand cricket to stick the paws and babweans down under needing down there, we're probably going to be arctic conditions and that's a bit tough on them, isn't it. But then again, you've got to work around all the conditions and then that's the way it is. Yep.
Speaker 5: Well we regularly did it to the West Indies and they seem to lose the heaters as well and the power and that that went off dramatically in their changing room.
Speaker 4: Very hard to play with three sweaters on too, isn't it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeahs And hard to bet with nine rubbers on the bet as well.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Lloyd, yeah, hold exactly. That's a whole different story altogether. Well, next week we'll celebrate hopefully. Yeah, you can organize lunch at the Bolcott streets.
Speaker 4: Oh no, you're not there anymore of them, they say you.
Speaker 6: You no, no, but outstanding invitation Brian for you and Jerry any point, So there's no issue there, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you'd be panel now when you panel or punts be.
Speaker 6: Right, I'm in Montelbert.
Speaker 3: There you go. Goodness goes further away than I thought.
Speaker 2: Well, we might have a function all on our own jury just to celebrate. But I'll get a bottle of champagne and to celebrate even if you guys don't want to take part.
Speaker 6: We've got one. And isn't it exciting for New Zealand cricket? I mean, I mean, are there heavy observations around that we and I don't know how they've just fundled suddenly just found us out that New Zealand's actually done quite well over many many years now in these sort of competitions.
Speaker 2: And underdogs, no one rates us, all right, Yes, thanks for your time, guys. We'll talk again next week when we can have a look at the performance in the final.
Speaker 3: Cheers with five Boys. Take care take all the word fulgies of summing.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talks at b listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio