Speaker 1: Inside, therefore getting you closer to the game you love with Adean Wilson, Anna Stanley and Jenny wood so By News Talks ab.
Speaker 2: Got Da Koto and welcome to our very first episode of Inside Netball for twenty twenty five. It is fabulous to be back and we're certainly looking forward to the season ahead, and it's great to be recording in our new studio here also at mzmy. And of course it is the Inside Needy team minus Gen. Today we do have a former Silver Fans captain Adean Wilson and can I just say current Premier netball player over.
Speaker 1: On the shore with us day down? What have I done?
Speaker 2: It's literally taking me all week to recover. I got surprised. I did not know we had to play grading on a concretecord. To be fair, it has been decades since I've played outside. I take my hat off. There was wind, there was battling the elements, and it wasn't just one game but two, and one of them was like, wasn't it early in the morning on Saturday? And I'm good with early. Early's totally fine. It was weir and so yes, you know, we're very fortunate we've got a team full of former Ferns and all of us turned up and looked at a wet outdoor court and almost turned around and got back in our cars. But we did it. We won and I cannot believe it. We're in prem ones. What have we done?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: You didn't just win, you walloped the team.
Speaker 2: So very impressive and we will keep you up to date here on the Inside Netble Chats this year. As to Adan's progress, well, of course, the season kicks in to get in just a few more weeks. The ain Z Premiership sun Corps super Netbulk got under way last weekend. Our very own Grace and Neweki made her Premiership debut for the Swifts. Jenny and Adan were fortunate enough to catch up with Grace with a quick interview after that Round one performance, and we will bring you that chat in today's episode. We'll talk about what's been happening in the netball world over the last few months, plus the rule changes taking on the a Zed Premiership this year. The Inside Needy team will give you a yay or a nay for the four rule changes that will take place. But firstly, she really is our golden girl. The Swifts came away with the first round one over the Fever in the sun Court by whopping eighteen goals.
Speaker 1: Here's our amazing.
Speaker 2: Grace inside Nile Grace and Wiki welcome to Inside Nipple and Wow, what a debut only a few days ago. Talk us through the nerves or were no extra nerves than what you're used to having stepping out on court.
Speaker 4: There were definitely nerves. They kind of came quite late. I think I didn't really take stock of the fact that I was making my debut up until maybe like a few days up from the game. I've putten a whole preseason being like I'm so ready to play, and I kind of forgot that playing it's going to be for the first time, which means making a debut and kind of how I guess, the the spectacle it that is, and how amazing that kind of first moment. That's first moments always are. So it was a bit of a late, I guess realization. And then it kind of all hit me when we got to pro a movement to the captain's run. I was looking around and I was like talking to Helen about how shit. It's funny because you know, you've kind of like performed on quote unquote bigger stages in the past, so it feels like, uh, in ways like different to be like having this huge moment of making an SCN debut, having played in World Cups and.
Speaker 3: Calm Games and whatnot.
Speaker 4: But it was definitely like a huge, huge honor and a lots of excitement around it, and I think getting there was the time. I always find my favorite part of a netball game is that moment when you have to go. You go out to the back and you've done the woman, you've done the team talk. It just just sat starting seven in a huddle, you know, looking everyone eye to eye and like really getting ged up for the game. And in that moment, it really all hit me that I'm standing here with these six of the people who I've just met a couple of months ago, when I've just done this huge pre season with them, and I'm wearing this red dresser in Perth, and it was like whoa, Like, why am I not in Auckland and we're are all my sixteen mates.
Speaker 3: So it was a huge kind of like holy, holy moly, this is real right now.
Speaker 4: Well, but it was really profound a lot of big sense of pride to be there and experience that and gratitude for I guess the people that have helped me get there and the journey I've been on from the day that I basically find to coming and taking court there for it was really special moment.
Speaker 5: So how did the intensity compare would say a test game, I'd say it was.
Speaker 4: Right up there, And yeah, it wasn't that first kind of like ten minute thing on the court where I was like, oh, yes, this is exactly where I wanted to be here. I was yet definitely had to adjust to the umpiring very quickly, the intensity of the crowd, the style of the sense that was being put on me like it was, it was a lot, and so it felt in waves quite si mon towards test match and just yeah, I guess the pressure in that moment too, I guess the expectations from people about how I should play and what the game should look like, and the expectations on the group as well. So there was definitely elements of that that resembled what it's like to play tests.
Speaker 2: And what's it been like building rapport with someone, you know, Helen Halsber used to be, you know, enemies on the court. You know, all of a sudden, you guys are playing to give out. What's that been, Like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been so great.
Speaker 4: It's been so funny as well, actually because I've had to talk about it a lot with Helen and like, yeah, I've always said that I've only ever seen her in that international netball space where she is like kind of a enigma. But she's got her ponytail slipped back, she's got the game face on. You don't mess with her. She's like the queen of English Network. So that whole I guess character is all that I've known about her forgetting to see her as a person, you know, see her in the morning with her coffee, her hair's on, Missy, there's no offense, humor, and just building that rapport as individuals before players.
Speaker 3: It's been really really enjoyable. She's a great person.
Speaker 4: I have a lot of time for her and a lot of respect for her and her journey and also her leadership. So I've really loved being guided by her in the attacking unit and being able to I guess thrown off each other and have our combo naturally come together.
Speaker 5: It was a big win for the Swifts. I mean, I think you shot fifty one goals. I mean, did you go out there with a target and that was what you were going to shoot.
Speaker 4: I've never gone into a game with the shooting target. It's not really where my focus life. I'm more so just wanting to be available for every ball. And if we're getting position, then I know it's my job to when people turned down the court, they can see me and know that I'm there for them. And so if the balls that were getting turned over, the balls were getting on us I'm bringing down in our CPA were successful and so my job was to be available. And I guess that's just how the game goes, and you know, one thing leads to another and you're putting up fifty goals. But yeah, that's just I guess. It was great to be able to get that much volume through and my first tests and as a testament to the work of my feeders and our descenders getting those turnovers and really enabling our unit to play with such success. So really enjoy that and I'm very excited to keep going with it. Which is the numbers out.
Speaker 1: Two point shot now as well.
Speaker 2: You know it's been introduced here in New Zealand, but obviously it's been in the sun court for a while. You know, does that change your strategy? I mean, you still put up fifty one shot, so talk us through that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm Initially in pre season I was like, I don't like this, and you know, it's not my strength and it's changes the game. It brings teams to a down back in but I can appreciate the appeal for the spectators and also the opportunity it gives to keep gained close and competitive. So I'm learning to love it and embrace it. Also embrace the opportunity to shoot them, I think, to give myself license to turn and shoot those sup of shots.
Speaker 3: I know I need to do the work at training in the.
Speaker 4: Weeks to put that volume up, but it's a next funding prospect to add to my game. And I know that we have amazing shooters in this group who that sebread and butter, and so I always want to be able to get born hand and get them in a position to take those shots in the right time. But also if post came to shove, I'm excited to get to a point in the season where in those final moments I can turn and shoot as well.
Speaker 5: Well, you looked as though you you got to you got a held ball actually in one at one point Grace when you were you sort of did a bit of a twirl and you were obviously looking for Helen and she wasn't there, and you know, Fever did a good job on her. But were you going to shoot a two pointer?
Speaker 3: Then well that's the thing.
Speaker 4: So I know that exact one because we had quite a few laughs about it, and I yeah, I think it was an element of getting the cob without and just understanding what how much pressure I guess you start to feel in those moments and it's a lot of that decision making under pressure that I'm learning on the job. But yeah, I had ball in hand and I thought, oh yeah, I'll get I was under the post.
Speaker 3: I wanted to get Helen in turbing position and she was covered. In my head, I only have eyes to Helen.
Speaker 4: But the learning there for me is that I had my feet of on either side of me who I could ideally reset to. And a lot of the time where our game plan is to play more than one point game and if we land in the two.
Speaker 3: Zone, naturally we'll go to post.
Speaker 4: We're not going to force it and we know that we don't need to rely on the two points to stay in the game, will stay competitive.
Speaker 3: So I keep reminding myself that it just has to feel natural.
Speaker 4: But I do also want to give myself opportunity to shoot those But again, like I'm not going to force it. If I land within my range, which is typically under the post, I alternating shoot. If I happen to be in a setup where I can go to the post from range, I also want to be able to do that.
Speaker 2: You look to be just glowing. It sounds like you're having a phenomenal time over there. You're loving it. I mean, your davy couldn't have gone any better, I imagine, But there must still be that little connection still to home, you know, are you still speaking with the Silver Fin coaches? Where are you at with that or if you just put that all to one side at the moment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, definitely enjoying my time here, definitely. I'm really grateful for the opportunity, and I think I think I'm in the best place that I have been so far at the moment, and it hasn't come easy. So I think I think what people can see and what's been shared as a lot of the highs and the positives and the enjoyment of being here in Sydney.
Speaker 3: But there have been some really hard days and some challenging moments.
Speaker 4: That I've had to come overcome, and I'm sure there'll be more down the track, but I guess that's the beauty of, you know, getting out of your comfort zone and challenging yourself.
Speaker 3: So you're really enjoying my time here and decision.
Speaker 4: And yeah, I would. It's not lost on me that gets the implications of it. And I think right now my focus is solely on the season. I've made my bed as such, and so I'm choosing to enjoy the sleep and just really have fund the season, learn lots, soak it all in and I guess obviously the future and the the whatever the international season looks like this year does fit wear my mind a bit, but it's a lot of it's out of my control, I think consons in the sense that it's still part of the leadership group with friends. There's lots of planning and discussions that happened throughout the year that I'm very grateful to still be included in. And that's still a team in the space that a lot of my heart is with so to still be able to contribute to that space off the court is really important to me, So I'm grateful to still be involved in that and whether my contributions can become more physical later in the year. I'm still hopeful, hopeful, maybe I don't know if it's a pipe dream, but that I'll be able to suit up for the season. But really my focus is on having success here in Sydney and being able to hopefully make more of an informed decision about my future when the time comes.
Speaker 5: So are you saying grace that there might be a little bit of a chance that we might see you in the black dress later in the year.
Speaker 2: We've all got our fingers and toes crossed by the way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm very much a believer of like you, kind of like what you put out there and what you manifest, I guess is what will come to fruition. So I'm still holding out hope in my end. I've had no concrete colm or anything to give me more hope than I had two months ago, but the hope remains and it's an exciting prospect with I guess the space room right now and how the form that I'm finding at the moment and also what the girls will be able to do when they a died this year, So it's a team that I always want to be a part of. And so yeah, just helping fingers crossed like the rest of you guys, and just seeing what happens.
Speaker 1: How much are you loving Sydney and the weather I beat? Yeah, it's quite nice. Been slightly warmer than what we've got here now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been so great. It's been lovely.
Speaker 4: It's almost been quite similar to Awkland like in terms of it being quite humid and kind of different all four seasons in one day, but across the boarder where there has been lovely hair and we had a great summer and still get some really beautiful days. That we landed from Perth on Useterday and the sun was shining, so we all just had to go to the beach after from there before we had the day off, and it's just stuff like that. To be fair, you can do it Awklin if you wanted to. But there's such good spots all of Sydney, so I really enjoyed getting out and about and being a bit a bit of tourist.
Speaker 5: So this is your first time living away from home, isn't it I think? So you know, what are the living arrangements?
Speaker 4: Yeah, for my first time living on of Auckland, I was actually lived. I was slanting in Auckland for the past three years. But yeah, first time being I guess having a full ocean of separation between my friends and family. So at the moment living with Shannie, one of the other girls in the team. She's from Melbourne, so we're both new to the state, so it's a nice to kind of lean on each other and that sense of homesickness and kind of being out.
Speaker 3: Of routine and way.
Speaker 4: So we live together and not too far from training, like a ten minute drive, so it's just nice because obviously Sydney is so big and the road's is so crazy, so to have a bit of familiarity and get a labor land has been quite good. And yeah, just really enjoying the dynamic, getting to know her better and getting to enjoy all the girls in the team, and I guess building those relationships and finning time enjoying an amazing city to live in. So it's been really great and I feel very lucky that of all the places to end up, I got to be in Sydney.
Speaker 5: Who drives?
Speaker 3: I do? I do? I drive?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've had to learn the hard way for the tunnels and all the rest. But I think it's done some great character building. Like I said, they want to come here and grow as a person, and I think I'm growing in my driving fields as well, so I can't complain about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have you got You've got the Aussie lingo? I remember they used to talk about texters.
Speaker 1: Do you know what a texture is?
Speaker 3: I don't know what a texture is, but it's.
Speaker 1: Like a vivid I'm like, why are they cool?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So what's the what's the lingo that you had to come up with? Or god?
Speaker 2: Anything like they call bibs badgers or patches non they.
Speaker 3: Like the whole or they don't know.
Speaker 4: They don't have dairies here, Like if I'm going to the dairy, they're like, what's going to Even things like saying I don't know, like back in your tieling you'd be like, oh, honest to God, like honest and they'd be like, what do you mean? Or even like men that's so mean? They're like what that wasn't mean? I'm like, no, that that's good. So things like that, and then a couple of the things they say is like everything's mad and everything is like a weg out, like it's crazy a weg out. A wegout means that it's kind of like buzzy. So I'm learning a few things and I do think they able to bring it back to New Villain.
Speaker 3: Put the girls onto some OUSI lingo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, look, we really appreciate your time. We can tell that you're having a fabulous time over there. We really appreciate you coming on and it sounds like you're having huge days, very busy days, full days, So thank you so much. But before we let you go, we're also starting in our pod this new thing called Fast five. So we've got five questions. It's a bit of fun, so you don't have to think too hard about them.
Speaker 1: And Ginna, you're going to kick us off.
Speaker 2: You're our very first person doing our fast fight, so we'll see how it goes.
Speaker 3: Okay, you want like a short answer like, okay.
Speaker 5: So what's your go to post game snack or meal?
Speaker 3: Sorry, I'm thinking go to post game meal? All parts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you could compete in any other sport, what would it be and why.
Speaker 3: Basketball?
Speaker 4: Because that the NBA looks back a pretty cool environment and it's growing rapidly and love to be part of it.
Speaker 5: Who in your team is most likely to a get you into trouble.
Speaker 4: In trouble probably Alie Smith out of trouble, Mattie Turner.
Speaker 2: If you could take three athletes in the world, karrent or present and have them for dinner, this is a tricky one. Who springs to mind your three athletes?
Speaker 4: Let's huge. I would have Simone Vials. I would want to chat with Yannis Anti Compo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and hm hmm. Third one the Williams. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And what would you be eating at that meal?
Speaker 3: We would do probably like Italian have like starters, like.
Speaker 4: Some oysters, some seafood to each and I'm just talking about my favorite food, like some seafood to start, and then like a good like authentic carbonara or like taccio pepper, some good complimentary wine and then some like terma food to finish.
Speaker 5: That was a very well full I did not expect that to be quite so sophisticated.
Speaker 3: I out yet.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, oh Grace, thank you so much. It's been a joy to speak to you and look for all the best for this weekend.
Speaker 3: Thanks, thanks so much. I appreciate having the chat.
Speaker 1: Take care you look after yourself.
Speaker 2: We're watching with a lot of pleasure this side of the Tasman scene.
Speaker 1: How are you going? It's very cool?
Speaker 3: Oh, thanks so much guy, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Take care The Inside Netball podcast Inside Netball powered by News Talk s B.
Speaker 1: Well, what a remarkable young lady Grace is.
Speaker 2: And she'd be pretty good if you did in my kitchen rolls, because boy, that cuisine that she was just talking about very impressive, Ceviche. I don't think I even knew what Ceviche was. A twenty though, she's just gonna say Italian full stop. But no, she launched into it and that's why I think she's loving Sydney. All those options over there are very cool. But wasn't it fascinating listening to her how insightful she was, intelligent, smart, The fact that she, you know, having spent her most of her netble, all of her netble in New Zealand with a mystic, she realized that she needed to be challenged more and that came at a price, and that price was wearing the silver Ferns dress. I love the fact that she's manifesting it a dean and she still thinks it's going to happen because you know, they say think about it, or it might just happen. You know, I personally think I would love for Neble New Zealand to change that rule slightly because she is she is an exception to the rule. Look, we get it, we don't want open Slava. We don't want all New Zealand players going to Australia and playing and so it would just decimate the age. So we get there has to be some rules around it. But it seems to be sticking very hard and fast, this one hundred cap rule. And again, yeah that worked when it was Laura and Maria went to Katrina it already so it just conveniently that one hundred test cap worked then.
Speaker 1: But do they need to relook at it?
Speaker 2: You know, you look at what they doing Rugby and sign a you know who we just had Damie McKenzie and Judy Barrett. You know, you can negotiate a long term deal to commit to New Zealand, but you give them a sabbatical for a year, or you give them that option. And yes, you're only gonna do that for your top talent. But do you just make it a little bit more subjective to just have that hard one hundred test cats. I just don't know, Let's be honest. When she played how many months ago in concert, that's how long it's been netble as well, it's been forever since we're seeing any netball.
Speaker 1: She was the difference. She is phenomenal. It is scary to.
Speaker 2: Think she will not be there, potentially in the black dress in the next time they meet. For Tiny Jamison, Well, it's scary that it might not only be Grace, But I read somewhere in an article the other day saying that Ameliam Warmsley might not even be in the black dress this year for the fans because of her workload this year with New Zealand under twenty ones as well as am Z Premiership. So we could not have Grace Newiki and then probably think the next best shoot to write is Wormsley, So we may be without gosh two of our best Goull shooters. But yeah, let's hope that she has a great season with the Swift. She's obviously started really well. In that win against the Fever, eighteen goals, didn't get a two point shot and looking forward to seeing if she fits any more of those up and yeah, I think we're all gunning for her to be back in that black dress at some point. But of course, the ain Zed Premiership it goes on without her. SUNCRP got underway last weekend. Three more weeks to go until the ain Z starts a Dean and there's a few changes this year. Four new rule changes now, and to be fair, something needed to be done. We've gone from three rounds to two rounds this year, so we needed something to give it a bit of razzle dazzle. So let's go through the rule changes. Let's start with the biggest one, which is probably the most talking point around the changes.
Speaker 1: The two point shot.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's been in the sun Court League for a while now, the last five minutes of every quarter. We are introducing that in the ain Zed but the two point line is slightly different. The SSN they have it at three meters. For the a Z Premiership, we're going to have it at three point five, which is the same distance as fast. Fine, are you saying a yay or a nay to that rule? I I can't believe it, but I'm saying a yay, because once upon a time, I don't keep the two point shot with fast traditionalists.
Speaker 1: It's such a diition. I didn't like it.
Speaker 2: But then you know, when I would watch the odd game of some corp when you'd have a blowout, you know, blow out.
Speaker 1: A netble if you're ten or fifteen, turn the TV off.
Speaker 2: I get bored, whereas throwing a two point shot that disappears in seconds when you've got that option. So it's taken me a world be convinced, but I've reached that point that I want to say yay. But I do like the fact it's not for the whole game. I like that it's five minutes. I know you were like me, you weren't sure. Are you convinced? I wasn't sure as well, because I'm a bit like you. I'm a traditionalist. I love the seven A side game, but I just feel the A and Z Premiership has become a bit stale and we need some excitement and we need some fresh approach, and so this I think will be ideal.
Speaker 1: I think perhaps it would have been.
Speaker 2: It would have been nice for the coaches had they known these rule changes prior to selecting their players. Absolutely then they could have selected them based on, you know, getting some long range shooters in there, because to be fair, there are some shooters in our league that probably won't be very good at putting those two point shots up.
Speaker 1: Some will be very good.
Speaker 2: So that's been thrown at the coaches a little bit, but I'm definitely a yay. It adds excitement, it brings in the fans, So that's a definite es from.
Speaker 1: Both of us.
Speaker 2: Well, what's interesting though is that it's different to some uncle and to the UK League. So they have gone forward at three meters versus three point five and speaking to neat New Zealand, that is off the back off. Speaking to the players, it was the players that fed back no, we want it to be consistent with fast five, which makes sense. It makes me scratch my head and go, well, why did Osie do it different? Because they like to be different they I mean, we're not shooters, but three meters to three point point five of a meter probably a little bit easier for the SECN girls to get those two point shots, and half a meter is probably a little bit you know as a shooter. Okay, next one coach box Okay, So now both teams will have both coaches will have essentially a coach box and it's three by one where they are allowed to stand in and coach from the side. So it's very much like basketball. So in front of the signage, yes they could. They can jump over the old signage that sits there and they can do whatever they do from from the coaching box.
Speaker 1: Yay or a nay. Love. I love this.
Speaker 2: Such a basket and I know Jenny, if she was here, would be going eah.
Speaker 1: She hates the idea of this. I love it.
Speaker 2: Look in netball, you want characters, and by having a coach, Let's be honest, Donna Wilkins, she is going to be so comfortable in this coach's box.
Speaker 1: I want to see the coaches on.
Speaker 2: The sideline walking up and down, shouting out their instructions, Like, I think this is fabulous. I think these are the things we want to see a netbull. I know some people were going to go, oh, that's a bit like basketball.
Speaker 1: Well, hello, basketball.
Speaker 2: Is a global game, is super successful and there's a reason for it. So if we take some of those clever things they've had in basketball, what's wrong with that? I mean, no, lean, can you imagine what Knowles is going to be like in the coach's box. Well, they were all standing up the last kind of year. That the bench has changed a lot. In the silver Ferns they are standing up a lot more, and Knowles has sort of walked up and down pay stuff and down the towel.
Speaker 1: Throwing your towels around on the sideline.
Speaker 2: I'm more that I just don't see that it's going to change the game. I think if you're if you're a coach sitting on the bench as opposed to the coaching box, you can still get your message across to the players. You can cropper sitting on it still. I get what you mean. It's it's just adding another layer of excitement and something different. Yes, I agree, but I don't think it's going to end add any advantage to the teams, if you kind of get what I mean.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's a yay in an a from me. Okay, Okay.
Speaker 2: Team timeouts So now they're suggesting that, well they're imposing that we can have two ninety second timeouts per team, so you can have one a half. Okay, So that's four timeouts in total, which ends up being six minutes six minutes of extra stoppages per match.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're an a Yet again, I'm a yay.
Speaker 2: I love this because again, what people when you speak to fans, one of the things that they love hearing is coaches coaching, and they love it when there's a microphone in there and you're hearing what the coaches are having to say, you're hearing what players are having to say.
Speaker 1: This is four more opportunities to hear that. They may not use it.
Speaker 2: Again, yes, people may argue it's a bit like basketball you don't always use your timeouts. Again, it's adding a bit of strategy as well. When do you use it? Do you use it? Back in the day, we used to i'm a context fallen out. We'll just take two minutes because the other team's on a roll. So again, I think it brings in a bit of strategy. It brings in the fans by adding another opportunity to hear what the coaches and players are going to say. So again, love the innovation. Didn't we used to say before we were injured, you know, and Chessy Kearney would run on, We'd say banana just beforehand, so she knew that we're faking out. I mean the game has come a long way. I'm a yes as well, I'm a yak surprised. Ye, yes, well, yeah, I was a little bit on the fence, but I thought no. I think it's a good way for the players to learn, as you say, how to strategize. But more importantly, how do I identify when a role has been put on you or when things aren't going so well? And I think now we rely too much on other people trying to make that decision for us. So this puts the onus on the players. They can call the time out and go, oh god, you know, they've just scored four goals in a row. Something's going wrong here, let's call the timeout.
Speaker 1: Does it have to be a captain? It has to be.
Speaker 2: It needs to be requested by an on court player to the captain after a goal has been scored, So you can't just call it at any time after a game's been scored, which makes sense.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that's a ya and a ya.
Speaker 2: And the last one is the umpire mit during matches. Okay, do you know how many times broadcasts to the crowd and umpire blows their whistle in a game? They don't blow their whistle after a goal has.
Speaker 1: Been scored anymore. Do they know that changed about a year ago two years ago.
Speaker 2: Is the whole crowd is going to hear what the umpire is saying for the whole game, and okay, great, it'll add to the fan experience. The people, the spectators in the crowd will have an understanding of what's going on.
Speaker 1: But my lord, I don't.
Speaker 2: Think that's going to last because that whistle goes a lot a lot of times, I guess, depending on the umpire.
Speaker 1: So I'm just not a fan.
Speaker 2: I think if you're they're watching a game, hope you know enough about it to understand what's going on. I get that it does perhaps bring the crowd in a bit so they can understand. So I see that part. But I think if I had to say yeah or inn a, I'd be in a on that one.
Speaker 1: I am so on the fence on this one.
Speaker 2: Speaking to Jen and Etwi Zealand, they did trial this a couple of years ago, I think maybe in Liverpool. It was definitely overseas and they said it was brilliant and fans loved it and they loved the fact that instead of scratching their heads and being like what was that call for? They absolutely hear it over the loud speaker. But my worry is the same as yours. All I've got in.
Speaker 1: My brain is this screeching whistle.
Speaker 2: That's just getting blown all the time, and is that going to overpower things? And then I was also worried. You know, what I think they've done well in the last few years is they've had music playing and different things that.
Speaker 1: Again have added to the atmosphere at the game.
Speaker 2: You know, will that still go And supposedly yes, they'll still have all that music, but you're going to have this umpire's you know voice, you know, going around the stadium.
Speaker 1: It sort of makes you think, do you remember in the old.
Speaker 2: Days and you'd go to cricket or something and old people have the little a little wireless on listening to the radio commentary as they watched the game.
Speaker 1: That's what.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like that, right, except it's going to be loud and out there. So yeah, I'm on the fence, I think, because I haven't experienced it, so I'm almost I'm not sure if I'm just going to hear a shrill whistle or if it's going to be just like what we haven't at yet because when we're commentating, we hear the rev consistently, and when you think about that, I don't think about the whistle, do you.
Speaker 1: When we're commentating, think of.
Speaker 2: How many times they'll go, they'll call it, or they'll go advantage, goal, attack, advantage. We're going to be hearing a lot of advantages, contact offsite like it's just it is quite constant. But I think it'll be interesting after that first round. There's going to be a lot going on because as you say, there's still going to be music pumping during halftimes. Will they pump the music out during the timeouts as well? You know those ninety second timeouts, that's a chance to get it run up and get the kiss cam go and you get it. That is my worst night here, by the way, Oh my gosh, getting caught on kiscamp. So I guess when you look at all these rule changes, which team do you think are going to benefit from it the most? You look at that two point shot when I think of all the teams and the shooters, merely and Echinasio for me, stands out is probably one of the best long range shooters. I think she'll certainly pick up some two point shots. Tana Salmon, I mean Fast five, that was she was brilliant. I think a lot of people didn't know too much about Mattina before Fast five, and then she was sinking those two point shots. And she's playing Mainland Tactics this year. She switched from the Pulse, so you know, does that hey? And again Donna Wilkins, she loves a long shot. She's a basketball. Speaking of those coaches, we've got three of our former players that we played with, Adeane Leanna debrayin, Bubby Timmy pat of George Clark. George Clark always forget which one she is, Donna and Wendy with the steer, so we're Lean and Liota lean and Liota true And actually, if you keep going Gable we played with her at some point as well to Jonga Selby Rackett.
Speaker 1: She's also assistant for the Tactics.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, isn't it bizarre and cool that there's this real swing around to sing everyone coaching? Yeah, and I think those coaches, the ones that we've just named, will really, you know, take on that coach's box and they'll get in there, as you say, and I think they'll embrace it. Donna will get that hand going and the towels will be swinging, which is great. So I think needed to be done. You know, I think that Ainzi was perhaps getting a little bit stale over the last few years, so this will add.
Speaker 1: Some excitement to it, no doubt.
Speaker 2: And funny you say that because it was a great article. Just the other day Lisa Alexander and Shannie Norder actually spoke about welcoming New Zealand teams back because they also felt like the Sun Corp is getting star So I think that's good everyone's starting to have these conversations.
Speaker 1: They're looking at rule changes.
Speaker 2: But it's also good that that it's the Australians talking about New Zealand coming and joining back as part of the Trans Tasmin League as well.
Speaker 1: So who knows?
Speaker 2: Lots A lot is unknown about twenty twenty sixth and that was an interesting article because Lisa Alexander thought that, you know, grab one team from the South, one team from the North, and those two are the teams that would go over and play in that Sun court, which got me thinking, you know what team from the South would you just pick the best of the steal and the tactics, and then would you have a team from up north the best of all the others, Like, how would that even roll if you did a South team and a North team because the South team would be an advantage straight away because there's only two teams down there. Look, it'd be a hard one too, wouldn't it, because you know, yes, you get paid to play netball, but you're getting even more people that are going to have to move from their home bases if you've only got two teams.
Speaker 1: So I mean a lot of.
Speaker 2: Things you'd have to look into, and you'd have to make sure those players were getting paid well enough for them to make that commitment because you'd be flying to Australia. Well you know, like the Breaker is like the Warriors, You'll be spending a lot of time and some people may not even want to be available for that. Well let's be honest, they probably would because I'd love to be.
Speaker 3: Part of it.
Speaker 2: So yet, a lot of things and actually a great amount of opportunity. And you're hearing a lot from Liz Allis. You know, she's the new chair chair Award and she seems she is not scared to take a punt. She's brave and so I think a lot could change over the next couple of years. Well that aren't they bringing out their ten year vision Australian Netball, So I'll be interested to see. I think one of the one thing that's in there is they're old bringing netball into the Olympic sport in twenty year two, So I think she's pushing that.
Speaker 1: But I guess just lastly, if we look.
Speaker 2: At what's been happening in the NETWORW world over the last couple of months, the sol fans, they haven't played since October since we won that Constellation Cup with Grace.
Speaker 1: The Nation's Cup.
Speaker 2: Went ahead England Malawi again to South Africa. Great that Uganda got third. England beat South Africa in the final, so that was that was the Nation's Cup in January. The top three nations didn't go. But what we did is we went and played in a tournament with the Swifts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I just find it so weird.
Speaker 2: I cannot think of in recent years when there has been such a huge break of televised netball. It was October last year, and yes A and Z is starting later than usual, but we normally see something in January so it's been quite strange and no one's.
Speaker 1: Really given us a real reason.
Speaker 2: Why why haven't we you know, why why didn't the Silver Ferns go? Why didn't Australia go or Jamaica or Jamaica? And then and I was also surprised how little information even came out of that New South Wales trip for the Ferns. You really didn't hear a lot or even on socials. So yeah, a bit of a head scratcher for me. Why we've been such a long time without netball? Yeah, I guess the only benefit of that was that Noles could take over her squad, so she took the extras Catherine Hall from the Mystics, Toyava Tuy and Salmon, so those four extra players got caught time. They played four games in four days, so they replicated that World Cup tournament kind of days, so that would have been of benefit. And of course was the first hit out with Grace not in the black dress, which.
Speaker 1: Would have been which would have been weird.
Speaker 2: For her so well, but obviously they're keeping those that connection piece with briany Ekel who had a call who was the assistant coach of the Ferns, so I think they would have got a lot out of it. But we're not going to be seeing the ferns for a very long time later on in the year. And I guess who knows will Grace be there because she's sang you know, as we heard earlier on in this episode, she's manifesting it. Who knows if we just all keep hoping that New Zealand may just change the rule.
Speaker 1: But that's it from us today.
Speaker 2: Next week we will be getting into the nuts and bolts of the A and Z teams for twenty.
Speaker 1: Where the playered movement has been who to.
Speaker 2: Look out for, and Jenny and I will give you our picks for who we think will take out the title in twenty twenty five. But until then, remember you can download inside Netbil on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts until next week.
Speaker 1: Cakatiano