Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks.
Speaker 2: It be follow This and our Wide Ranger podcast now on iHeartRadio. Liam Lawson has had a crack at the Saudi Arabi and Grand Prix. We're continuing with the if one theme for time being. He's finished twelfth for the racing balls.
Speaker 1: Oscar Piastre crosses the line now to win the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix and lead the drivers' championship. Max Verstappen is beaten into second place and got that five second penalty. Charlaflair holds off Lando Narris to claim Ferrari's first podium.
Speaker 2: Of the season. Oscar Piastre took the check and flag, gaining crucial Constructors Championship points for McLaren, while Max for Stepan came in second for Red Bull. Motorsport expert and former McLaren race member Bob McMurray joins me now and Bob, hello, how are you going?
Speaker 3: Good morning to him? Yeah, very well, thank you after watching a Grand Prix for what seems all night, but it was good you would beat.
Speaker 2: I mean, do your allegiances still sit firmly with McLaren haven't been a member.
Speaker 3: I've got to say, yeah, if I was going to support any team, it would be McLaren and I still have a lot of friends there and I still go to our association of McLaren Old Boys. So yeah, underlying it all, you can't get real thirty odd years in McLaren.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, they still look like they do have the faster car or they read ball with nex with Stepan's pretty close, isn't he.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you listen to Orlando Norris after the race and he said, you know, it's not not true. We don't have the fastest car at all anymore. It's just on the day and all sorts of things like that. But you've got to say that everybody is quite close. But in race trim it does seem to be that McLaren has the edge slightly on the the Red Bull of Max with Stefan up to now, but Max was incredibly fast in the in the race overnight that to Selby. So yeah, it's still a competition and it's a good competition. A good thing about that race is that it's the first race this year that the pole position winer didn't win the race. I mean, that was getting a bit tedious, but yeah, it was a race we had anyway, good one.
Speaker 2: Let's get on to Lawson's performance. Liam Lawson, what did you make of his performance?
Speaker 3: Not much, to be honest. He was overtaken by his teammates at the beginning of the race, despite the fact he was on medium tires, his teammate was on hard and he never betted his teammate all the way through, depending on the even depending on the different tactics with changing tires and all that sort of things. So he got a ten second penalty, which I thought was a little bit bizarre. When he overtook Jack Doing and went off the road slightly, he got a ten second penalty, whereas Max was to happened he went straight over the corner and retained his place at the front of the pack, only got a five second penalty. So I don't know how those guys work it out early every time, but I think it was a better display from Liam than he has had so far on a very tough track. But the overriding thing is you still got to beat your teammate, and I believe Liam will start to do that. Yeah, but that's the you know, that is the crucial thing in any team. Beat a teammate.
Speaker 2: I guess, well, that is the thing that you believe he can do it, so the improvement is what he'd be looking for. Would qualifying ahead of Isaac Hadgow have sort of helped his mental state and confidence?
Speaker 3: I'm sure, yeah, I mean it was, it was by this limits of margins, but yeah, he did qualify ahead of him, So that that means that there are an equal footing in the team, and Liam's experience should see him improve as he comes to tracks he's driven on before, as has Hadji in Formula two with his whole different world in Formula one, and you've got to give a lot of credit to Isaac Hadjar coming in after, you know, straight into his first season and being competitive straight up. So you know, Liam has got a battle on his hands with a very very good driver and he's been spotted as a good driver all the way through Formula two. So yeah, it's going to be tough.
Speaker 2: What's the speed of the car that Lawson's driving compared to the rest of the field.
Speaker 3: Well, by the speed, you mean.
Speaker 2: The performance the potential.
Speaker 3: I mean, well, the potential is getting better and better now. They obviously feed from the major team Red Bull and they have a lot of parts that they're allowed to have from Red Bull on that car. So it is getting better and better, but it is clearly a midfield team at the moment. It is clearly a team that is going to be fighting with the likes of Aston Martin, but they should do better than them because of one of the drivers in Aston Martin and useless with Williams with half that sort of thing. That's where they've got to step out. They've got to step above that got stuff.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks some much for your time, Bob, really appreciate it. That's more of a most sport expert Inform Claire and race member Bob McMurray for.
Speaker 3: More from News Talk sed B. Listen live on air or online, and
Speaker 2: Keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio