Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from news Talk, said b. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Take it on the Patrick, It is out, The test is over, Smooth Beauty, it is out.
Speaker 3: And here he goes.
Speaker 4: This delivery has a new music, The.
Speaker 5: Gold on the Front Foot with Brian Waddell and Jeremy Cody, powered by News Talk, said B at iHeart Radio.
Speaker 6: Hello. A week off for the black Cats, just in time for Tim Suley's ragin as Black Cats skipper to come to an abrupt end. Little change to the team hitting for India, the White Ferns get back to winning form and a financial boost for IPL contracted players. They'll be looking forward to that. Channa's must be tough in the Indian Premier League. And Orderson's joining us this morning and he said he'd only a peer if we incorporated the no reverse sweep policy. Well, no reverse weeps here orders, so we're true. We world look.
Speaker 4: On police to hear it. Brian, It's it's really quite I guess reassuring.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because there's there's probably too many reverse sweeps out there these days. But maybe I'm being too conservative. Maybe I need to change my way of thinking. But yeah, I'll just I'll just go I'll just go for a clasic clasic cat shot instead.
Speaker 6: We're traditionalists at heart, really, aren't we. It's a lucrative form of runs, quite clearly, but it's also costly. Tom Blundell three times in the lan contests, and you know it's a matter of judgment when you're played, I guess, isn't.
Speaker 7: It It is indeed, Yeah, yeah, I mean these guys are practicing it all the time, so whereas I haven't really practiced at all, I have to say maybe I should.
Speaker 6: Well, we've been searching high lay for Jeremy Coney. He's on his way. He'll be with us in just a moment. But after two embarrassing losses, after two embarrassing losses in Sri Lanka, Tim Sowley fell on his sword, a decision that came as little surprise.
Speaker 8: Yeah, obviously a tough one, but like I've done for the last last seventeen years, is the best interest of the team, a team that I keep deeply about, so yeah, moving forward, it's it's the best decision for the team.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Well, we did discussions, was Gary, like we do at every series, and it was by decision to to move aside and it's now Tim's time to I guess, keep moving this team forward and got sixteen menses to look forward to and the anamos side about that as far as I'm concerned, And yeah, I love Test cricket. It's a game I care deeply about and I love playing so so yeah, it'll be nice to be part of those sixtiesh metches moving forward orders.
Speaker 6: He had to do it. Really, the team was not making any progress and the quality of the cricket was not the greatest. From listening to Zealand side, because there's some very good cricketers in that team.
Speaker 4: Look, I think they'll be disappointed with that tour of Sri Lanka. Brian.
Speaker 7: I think that if you're looking in the context of the World Test Championship, those were matches at least one of them that would have needed to have been one to at least have pushed New Zealand up into that top bracket if you like, with of course India and Australia out in front of the other nationril Anka, I think moving into that third spot. So it's an opportunity miss. I mean, two tests in Gaul I mean, really, they probably could have used the toss there at one stage would have been quite handy, but they've had to play to the conditions and have not done so to their utmost ability, I suppose.
Speaker 4: And I think Tim he's made the right call.
Speaker 7: Mean, whether he could be selected as one of the first names on the sheet in that series is debatable with Matt Henry there as well.
Speaker 4: And given the summer that Matt Henry had, I think, what with.
Speaker 7: Twenty three wickets at sixteen point nine five, I oh, that doesn't necessarily translate to subcontinental cans with you've got a bowler of orack standard as well who's really starting to come into his pomp. It put pressure onto him, but he's he's done, you know, the noble thing really and then at least from hearing him talk about it, et cetera, and why he's made the call, and now really he just comes down to Tom Latham and Gary stud as to whether he is selected in the team on the sub continent from here on in with the three Tests against India and of course onwards for the three Tests against England at home.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's a it's a bit of a changing of the guard.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 6: Tom Latham's got the job, but who else could could have been that? There's there's not too many options there really at the moment, is there?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 7: I think Tom Latham's logical choice. You've got at less you go back to the former captain and the former came Williamson, which I don't think they're probably going to be going to do. Williamson looks like he's comfortable at the moment and looking to focus on his batting, et cetera.
Speaker 3: As he moves on.
Speaker 7: What is he thirty four? Now came Williamson. Latham has a few years back. I mean, what is he?
Speaker 6: He is?
Speaker 7: What thirty two? So he's got a few years in charge. And the seam I do hope that, you know, not too conservative, and the Latham Stead combination, I hope that they I guess, yeah, look further afield with you know, perhaps asking you know, bringing Williamson even into that senior group as you know, for his advice is the most successful. He'syaland Test captain and just I guess, trying to take it to the next level, trying to keep them in the Test Championship with these matches against India and England, which are fairly formidable task at the moment.
Speaker 6: Yeah, news flash, Orders, Jeremy Coney stood on his stumps trying to play a reverse sweep, but he's been allowed to return. Very good to have you with us, mate. We've just been talking about the choice of captain and Orders saw that there was no real option available, and I guess you probably agreed to some extent there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, high lads, simer bit late.
Speaker 9: I think a captain, first of all, must be able to hold his place in the team by dint of his performance.
Speaker 3: He's in all ways.
Speaker 9: And that's why it was a little bit odd when the coach and selector kind of said, well, he's captain, but he won't be playing all the matches. It kind of didn't sound quite right to me. Look, I didn't get the feeling he left the captaincy because of his captaincy decision making.
Speaker 3: Did you guys.
Speaker 9: Feel the same way. It wasn't anything to do with the way he was captaining the.
Speaker 7: Side, No, not at all. I thought it was more about the position of the team, Like say, Jimmy, you.
Speaker 9: Know, he might have got some ends wrong for bowlers and fielders needed adjustment and so on.
Speaker 3: But every captain's captain's guilty of that.
Speaker 9: And you know that's a case of discussing with bowlers, isn't it, either at the time or off the field. And even Tom Lathon himself said he'd have done much the same in Sri Lanka as Saudi did. So you know we're unlikely to see big changes, but you know it was Saudi's performance is a bowler on the side that has brought his place into question. When he was in his prime, he was bowling between.
Speaker 3: One hundred and thirty and one hundred.
Speaker 9: And thirty five, he swung the ball, he got wickets, whether it was LB or bold or court keeper caught slip, and he got them because he was tall and he was accurate, and the batsman couldn't get the bat out of the wage because at one hundred and thirty five it's quick enough to prevent the batsman sensing the danger and getting and pulling the bat and withdrawing it. But now while the swing is still there, while the bull's knew, it's more from the arm now because he is slower, he's one hundred and twenty six to one hundred and twenty eight, occasionally one hundred and thirty I noticed at Trilankam, but not often. So batsmen see the danger in the flight a little bit earlier and they've got time to withdraw that bat and so the keeper in the slip don't become involved as much. And then as a seemer, if he nips it back into the batsman, the batsman now you know he gets something on it. You know, he gets an inside edge or something like that and onto the pad. And so his lbw's have become less regular as well. I mean, SOUDI like any good bowlder. He's developed using the crease and confusing batsman that way, and he's tried the reverse swing. He's not quite the pace or the slingy action to really get that going.
Speaker 3: But the main issue is the lack of pace.
Speaker 9: Olders, I don't know what you think about that, but losing a weaverit of accuracy because of it. Once you lose your pace, you've got to be even more accurate and you lose a wee bit of bounce. So he's having trouble getting wickets and that's the issue. So and please everybody don't compare him to Anderson. I've heard people say that by Jimmy Bold until he was fifty five. You know, Anderson played no T twenties, no ODIs. He was paid enough to play tests only for England, so he had plenty of rest. He also had at his disposal of phalanx of support from exercise advisors to build speed and endurance and physiologists and dietitians, physiotherapists. I don't know whatever they are nowadays lie on the couch, Tim, But I mean, look, he had access to all the top people at Lufborough where the ECB have their coaching people. He could have practiced anywhere he wanted. This is James Anderson, so full resources and a voracious work ethic. Now Saudi had a bit of that, but we don't have the resources. We can't do that. I think that's a false kind of way of looking at Tim Southy's position.
Speaker 3: As he gets older.
Speaker 6: One of those resources we've got is Matt Henry. He's got to play. He should have been playing in Sri Lankash, wasn't he.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 7: You could certainly argue that in hindsight, and I think that I would reflect on the fact that, just to put it in context, mean I think Southi is one of our greats but his time as Jeremy is summed up. There really is coming towards the end with the test career, and I think that Henry still has that zip about him if you like him, and we saw it over summer, as I say, with those twenty three records at sixteen point nine to five and also coming through the ranks, you know will I Rourke as well, who looked really I thought venomous at times in Sri Lanka. Ben c is coming into the reckoning two of his part of that. The party again as well, going to India, so that they do have resources in that regard. But yeah, I think that that will probably be the case from here on in Yeah, the comparison with Jimmy Anderson, yet there is no comparisons that with the.
Speaker 4: Resources that are available.
Speaker 7: But I think that I've always admired as to nacity and just because he did he never was express pace, but he just had a bit of guile about him and a bit of venom and a real hunger to get those wickets over time, and that's why you know he's going to be seeking to Sir Richard in the end.
Speaker 9: And worked so well with Bolt coming in from the other becoming the other side, you know, coming back in. Yeah, so that worked really nicely for both of them. To be fair, I know he's been an outstanding bowler. I mean three eighty two wickets is a fantastic performance from him. No one's questioning that in all these discussions, I don't think, and I think that's probably why he had to make the decision himself, had not the coach selector, I think, to be honest, and he's mad. He's made the call himself and he's right, he's right. Yeah, Well, there aren't many other center as captain decided and some one day games, hasn't he But.
Speaker 3: He's a bit like Soudy.
Speaker 9: He's not quite so certain of his position on the side either. So Mitchell, I look, will the IPL lure him away?
Speaker 3: Who knows.
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 9: But he hasn't kept him too much, I don't think so. There aren't many other choices. It's an interesting one.
Speaker 3: Really.
Speaker 9: They all seem pretty much the same. I don't like to say it that way, but you don't feel that we're going to see anything different with Tom Lason later as captain. And I think it's a function of the majority of the group of players have been together, so long together, so many games they've played, and they think the same way about the game nowadays. Very different group when I was there, all sorts of problems, but you know, but different ways of looking at the game as well. And while it meant, you know, you had disagreement and discord at times, it was very good for receiving different ideas. At any point you could talk to somebody quietly and they'd give you an idea of how they saw the game and what should happen next. I'm not sure Layson will get that too much.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Interesting, Well, it's going to be a very little room for change for India because there's nobody playing any cricket at the moment. But I think one of the changes they're going to have to make is they're going to have to get their spin bowling options sorted out, aren't they, Because quite clearly on a turning track we weren't able to turn the ball to the extent that the Sri Lankan bowlers were the only one who was capable really was Phillips and probably should have had Bracewell then there as support. How did you see that orders?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think you can make that argument and interesting to see how they apply that in India, whether they think that Santna will bring more their giveness experience in India with the ipl that sets over time, and whether he knows conditions well. I'm in slightly differcultse with the offspin to the He's a left arm orthodox, but I think given his experience on the sub continent and the wickets that he's taken over many years now, ajs Pttel will need to be part of that.
Speaker 4: Mix still too.
Speaker 7: But I'm in favor of continuing down the line of the three spinners for sure, if they can just to at least give them the best chance of taking those workers. If you can combine that, for argument's sake, with Iraq and Henry perhaps with the pace element and then just throw it to the spinners after that.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I mean Phillips.
Speaker 7: I Like, again, I've spoken about Saudi's tenacity and hunger. I'm loving that about Phillips as he develops more. I mean, he first came into the New Zealand team as a wicket keeper batter, but he's really developed that spin element to his game and just apparently just continues to bowl whenever he's given the opportunity, whether it's a hotel hallway or you know, I've seen him do you lunch breaks in New Zealand as well. Just never wants to have the ball out of his hand when he's in in the field.
Speaker 4: So it's it's going to be one to watch for sure.
Speaker 3: I think the.
Speaker 9: Three three seemas are still an option in India if you look at the pictures that have been there against say Bangladesh.
Speaker 3: I mean India.
Speaker 9: Themselves played three, didn't they three seemas? So it is an option that they could go with that and that they could have a slightly different balance. So it's just a question of who those three will be. They'll have to look at that pretty closely. Yeah, so that is an option for them, I think there. But spin spin is a bit of an issue, isn't it. But as I've said before, when they come back to New Zealand, they go missing. They just head to the bush and we can't find them, and so we we we play four seemas and that is not good. And so we suddenly expect them to turn up and come and win us a Test against India. You know, it's it's not going to be easy.
Speaker 4: So or in the infire.
Speaker 7: I was going to say the infamous case of Asias Pattel, get ten wickets and earnings and then don't play on your recern home.
Speaker 9: That's right, so Wads, I don't think there's a short answer to that question. It's quite a long term one, and we have to approach spin bowling slightly differently. You mentioned Bracewell. I think he's the one who will turn the ball the most. He's more of a style I think of Ajas Patel in other words, getting the ball up above the batsman's eyes and getting it to drop. He does that more than the Santana mode of sort of just being as slightly flatter as he was on the Second Test, particularly against Sri Lanka. So we need to think about that pretty closely though, because obviously their key performers in Asia and we need to stick with them a bit longer when they come back to New Zealand. I think that's a long term view, isn't it. But nevertheless, we can't just keep hoping like mad because we're going to be going through these six games, seven games in Asia in a couple of you know, a couple of iterations of this World Test Championship, so we got to prepare for those sorts of things.
Speaker 6: All. I'm interested in your take on the fact that they came home from Sri Lanka to have a bit of a rest. I know that, you know, priv at home is always important, but they don't take time off to come home. If I've got ipl contracts, they have to stay there for the full period of time. But it seems strange to me the cost of going there again. You know, you're talking two hundred and fifty thousand dollars to fly there and back again, which is the cost that New Zuland Cricket have to bear when they could have stayed for a week or so in the air and use that time to play pickup games or to you know, to settle into the Indian style. They're playing their first match at Bangalore. Be a nice place to go for a week to prepare for an Indian series, wouldn't it.
Speaker 7: Well, it's a good point you make, especially about you know, if you want to stay in contention in this World Test Championship, of course is you know, to be.
Speaker 4: A one Test series in India.
Speaker 7: So it's anomalous task already, but just to get a warm up match in or something of that nature ahead of the three tests series. But I wonder if they've done the numbers or maybe it just came down to a cost situation with accommodation et cetera as well, or whether they I mean they're massive on the family elements in the team, whether they thought by bringing them home that would be an appropriate break before going back for another time. But yeah, it's a good comparisons with the IPL That doesn't happen, does it. So it's yeah, I guess a complex scenario, probably with the numbers et cetera and the fatigue element, or whether they felt they needed to break after after Sri Lanka. But yes, they've chosen what they have and I just go back now in straight back into it.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know what.
Speaker 9: Well they went to lad to a great annoyed a first, didn't they. So they went about I don't know, the seventh of September, so they had you know, a few days probably ten days there first and then a couple of weeks, so it was it was getting on for a month away, was it. I don't look, I don't know, And if they had stayed it would have been I guess another two weeks and then three tests. More so that would have been a couple of months at least, I would have sort I don't know, certainly, the IPL is about to change dramatically, isn't it. As we all know, you cannot thou shalt thou shalt not leave.
Speaker 6: No, that's going to be one of them. And I just want to get your take on the eye pl issue that Jerry was talking about. All is Yeah, they're going to be punished if they leave ahead of their contract, but they're now going to get a boost and earnings a match fee of what is equivalent of about thirteen thousand, nine hundred nearly fourteen thousand New Zealand dollars for every game you play on top of your contract. I mean, everybody's going to go there, aren't they if they can.
Speaker 7: It makes me wish I'd spend more time than nets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's amazing, I thought, Jura Bowler.
Speaker 4: I'll do anything for that.
Speaker 10: No, it's incredible dough and I wondered, though I wasn't quite clear on that whether that will come out eventually, come out of the auction prices, or whether that will balance out eventually as a as a quid pro quo or whether if.
Speaker 7: That's indeed on top of everything else. I mean, that's staggering money when you think eleven players on the field as well, I think it'll be.
Speaker 4: Twelve they'll be paid for from the team sheet.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's just it's mind boggling really in an indication of I think if you look at the wider context of just how powerful the BCCI is and all the sponsors and the team owners and so forth, and how much influence they'll have on the game. And here we are talking about trying to create a test calendar or you know, will cricketing calendar, and just how much that these people are just not going to be budged at all in terms of getting what they want from that. So your money's going to talk for sure. And this is just another example of it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's interesting. I was just reading in the in crick Info said the Sun will be separate to the franchise's auction person. To break up the money, the twelve players named on the team sheet will be paid the additional incentive incentive as a match fee, which works out in the ninety lap rupees. But you know it's expensive, so it's an extra encouragement, isn't it to get into the team. I mean from his endlers point of view, due there aren't too many play regularly in the IPO anyway. Daryl Mitchell played and Devin Conway played, didn't he regularly? Ruts and Ravendra had a few games, But a lot of them basically sat on the bench, didn't they?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they did.
Speaker 9: But that's what makes this tour coming up quite interesting. They'll be desperate those players to perform well in India in front of these people, and if they can make their mark on this tour, they could well come into some sort of reckoning. But I think it's also raised the pressure. I mean, I know we've been through the contract sort of system and time in New Zealand recently. Man, what's that next one going to be?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 9: The only way you can get out of that as if you're injured. Then we had the players like Santner and Mitchell and Williamson, some of those older players, Ferguson obviously Will Well, you know he's outside that about Glenn Phillips for Allen, all those people. They will be desperate to make that group and try to get into that IPL now, so extra pressure to on the New Zealand you know contract system.
Speaker 6: Interesting addition to the Black capstore. Perhaps a return from a different point of view. He was manager in charge of boarding, passes and team organization. Now Mike Sandal is being employed as the team's performance manager. Now. He was part of the administration, logistical and diplomatic Chief executive of New Zeven Cricket got Wennick says that his skills flit comfortably into the role. What did you make of that?
Speaker 4: All?
Speaker 6: Is Mike Sandal back after winning the Ranfilly Shield for Taranaki as the chief executive, He's back in the leadership role of the Black A.
Speaker 7: Well, I've got a lot of time for Mike Sander. I think he's got a bit of the Midas touch there as well. And whether you know that role is just I know it's talking about performance, et cetera. But he does have the ear of a number of those players and as an enormous respect, I suppose the man of Mike Sandal in that team environment is pretty big. And I mean he's gone on head is to say, success with Taranhaki with the NPC, but also the run for the ship for the Shield. I just think that he will offer, I guess a a wise counsel in some regard for some of those players, given when they're on tours so regularly. I'm intrigued he's gone back to it, just to be perfectly frank, I thought that his days would have been done and dusted in that role, so much travel overseas, et cetera, that he might have decided that enough was enough. And that's probably why we went to Tanhaki originally. But he's obviously keen to get back into it and they're gonna they're gonna welcome him with with open arms. But yeah, it's so wider position rather than just the standard manager portfolio.
Speaker 6: Just before you leave us all us hurrah hurrah that we're having a real happy time because the White fans that all win. They broke a ten game losing streak to beat India and it was a bloody good performance. But I'd have to say, because India is not an easy side.
Speaker 7: To beat, well, that's right, I know around nz in metowers here dancing in the streets. It's probably the most significant win I think since they beat maybe England in that bronze middle match of the Comnwealth Games. It's a couple of years ago. But you're convincing and all of a sudden, you know, they just look outstanding against what's a pretty formidable Indian side these days. In your Sophie divine stepping up, but you also had others delivering them In the bowling attack can bin well together in rosemany me getting four wickets for starters. I think Eden Cars and a couple as well. You always have the services of immediate cur to stabilize things. But Georgia Plumber doing well opening the betting too, so I thought good on them for making a statement in that opening win and long mate continue from hearing with the Australia coming up will be the true benchmark.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it shocked you into reality journey, didn't it.
Speaker 3: I even't sent you a text.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I know, and I'd love to have seen all those people dancing at nz ME. But look, yeah, of course it was fantastic for their confidence start of the tournament. Perhaps court rather like New Zealand against Afghanistan the first game in the t twenties, wasn't it really? In the World Cup, India looked just a bit short of a gallop. Did you see the catch as they dropped you know, and some of the things. So New Zealand. New Zealand prospered because of that, and I don't think they'll get that help from Australia. But it throws a lot of jeopardy on India.
Speaker 3: Doesn't it. Now. I know they've beaten Pakistan.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so it's suddenly become quite an interesting group that Pakistan spinners aren't going to be.
Speaker 3: Easy for New Zealand.
Speaker 9: If you've had a look at that, fellas, that'll be interesting against New Zealand. They've got loads of them.
Speaker 3: Ikbar.
Speaker 9: There's a couple of left arm orthodoxes, two off break bowlers as a leg break bowler, so they could bowl between fifteen and twenty overs of spin. That won't quite suit the New Zealand as quite so much. But anyway, that's in the future. It's early days.
Speaker 6: Yeah. The grounds over there, of course, are conducive to spin the longer they play on the decks over there. I'd just like to fish off this morning with one important fact you may or may not have caught up with. In the world of T twenty domestic cricket, the Garden Route Badgers won a six wicket win over the Tuskers in the domestic game and because of that win, they're now preparing for a match with the Limpopo im Parlors. So that's the latest news on Tea twotty Cricket. And I'm sure we needed and there was no special match fee for anybody.
Speaker 4: Well, I hope not.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm thinking people tuning into the On the Front Foot podcast. They're really getting the in depth drilling down into the.
Speaker 4: Minutia of the cricket world with the Garden Root Badgers.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I Reckon, Rude climb Past and David Asenboro. They will be the commentators or the umpires for sure, bound to be.
Speaker 6: Thanks for joining us all as I know you've got plenty of work going on, will be continuing through the Indian series and hopefully you'll be able to join us at some stage to review the one of the test matches that they play in India and hopefully it's good news that we are talking about at that time.
Speaker 7: No, probably all the base and then yeah, look forward to it. Brian, all right, cheers, O, all right, put them, don't put a bulletin together.
Speaker 4: I will do up.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Check out the Garden Root Badges of what they're up to.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think you've got to put that result through.
Speaker 4: That's brilliant, all right, elders.
Speaker 6: Cheers, guys, cheers, all right, get yourself ready for the rest of the world Team Preview Championship for the women, and of course the Test cheams coming up will probably have a preview of a mixture a game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it'd be good, look forward to that, all right.
Speaker 1: Summer for more from you, Talk sat B, listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio.