Speaker 1: You're listening to the Marcus Lush Night's podcast from News Talks, i'd.
Speaker 2: Be increasing's welcome people if you're in Marcus here till twelve. I hope it's good where you are. I hope if it's not good, it gets better by midnight. That's my plan. I hope it's your plan. Probably a two topic night tonight. There's the obvious topic and the unobvious topic. But I imagine there's a lot to say, and I want there to be a lot to say about social media for under sixteen, sixteens and under under sixteen. And I guess that's probably jammed the talkback earlier on today, But yeah, I think there's probably a fair bit to say about that, both from people who think it's a good idea or a bad idea, and also from people's experience with people and their family and their how can I say it are, their experience with social media for people under sixteen, I would assume pretty much most of it is bad unless your child has become some sort of social media phenomenon and might have made big coin internationally. But I think in the long run that would probably be bad as well. So yeah, I'm kind of curious to know where you are with it and if you support it, because even though it's going to come out of the bat, I imagine this will become policy because Labor seems keen and National seems keen, and Australia has got it and seems to be working well. I don't think they've brought it in yet, but seems as though they've got the plan to have it working fairly well. So Yeah, I don't know how you enforce it, but I think probably National has done it because it gets people talking and I think probably it's a vote winner. That would be my understanding is that people think, yes, it's a good thing, because I don't think people really want to have the hassle of trying to enforce it with their children. I guess that's kind of And I've got children. I have children. I currently have children. They are nine and eleven, and they're not naggy kids. But the eleven year old he doesn't have a cell phone, and I think, probably as mates do, I think he pretty much knows he's not going to get one anytime soon. He's pretty resigned to that. Yeah, the younger child wants a smart watch so he can counter steps. Well, what steps?
Speaker 3: And I.
Speaker 2: Totally I'll count your steps for you. And that really annoys him because every time he walks our counter of steps and he doesn't like that at all. I said, that's twelve steps there, shut up there, that's fourteen there. I thought you wanted your steps. Do you not like that? Anyway? I don't know why people would buy the children smart watches to go out this well, I know why they'd buy smart watches to go out their steps. I think they get the contective So I talked to the children about getting a pager. I said to the eldest one, do you want a pager? Dad? I'd rather have nothing than a pager. I don't think they realized quite how flash on a hippopager looks you look like you're a doctor doing heart transplants or something, or a drug dealer off the wire. So yeah, they went that keen on the pager either. So yeah, So I don't know that be having a smartphone anytime soon. I can imagine there's probably people want the children to have cell phones because parenting's busy these days. They do a lot of different things. There's things in the morning, there's things after school, and they're getting picked up at different times. It's more complicated. They have busier lives. Whether that's good or bed I don't know, but that just is. So parenting is a taxi driver in Australia told me once is mainly logistics. I think they're pretty well right, and if you've got a cell phone, the logistics becoming easy because you can text them. And so I've also talked to the children if they want a like a Nokia with snake, but they're not that key. They'd rather have no phone than the phone that's just kind of done nothing. I think it'd be more embarrassing in a phone than does nothing than having no phone. So that's kind of what they're resigned to, and they seem pretty resolved with it. So where am I going with this?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yes, so what I think happens, because I'm kind of an expert on this, what I think happens is parents. Here's how parenting works. I want to get in touch with me. I want to keep in touch with my child. I want to be able to text them when the school bus breaks down or there's an excident I happen yesterday on the Bluff Road. And I want to be able to get in touch with it. So I'll tell you what. I'm going to get a new phone. You have my old phone, and that tends to be how the younger people get smartphones. I think I'm right with that one. So it's more about an ability to locate and call them, and of course then the kids get hooked on. And I don't know what the social media band is going to be about. I presume it's going to be TikTok, Facebook, Instagram. They're the three I would not allow for the other sixteens and that makes sense to me. And naps and Snapchat. Tell me about Snapchat? Oh yes, oh yes, that's what. Snapchat's the one that Seymour used. That's right, And there was some sort of there was some sort of controversy about that you're doing it to children because I think Snapchat's got an element of deceptiveness because you seen videos and then they disappear, so there it's undiscoverable. I've never been anywhere there stapchat, so yeah, no, that's not a good thing. So yeah, Snapchat, TikTok, Facebook, and Instagram. I don't know what the others are. So that's what they're talking about. I imagine the band would be. I don't know what the band is in Australia, but yeah, I look, I guess what I need to say. I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea. I think there's probably votes in it. I think probably. I think it would be easier if parents enforced that. But yeah, I can see the vineage how parents get into it. Children want a phone for location and doing things like that and for getting in touch with each other. Next thing you know, they're on TikTok or Instagram and stuff like that. But the thing about it, and I think we all know about that, is that Facebook no sorry, is that social media is incredibly time consuming. You can spend your whole life on it, and it's probably the better things that young people should be doing. Also, I think the thing with social media is that you can It causes anxiety and stress because you can be attacked, and you can you know, all those things, you can be bullied, and all those things happen on social media. It's a pain in the neck. I certainly know. When we went to intermediate school for the elder boy, they said the parent, the teacher said, oh, look, we don't do we won't do we won't deal with anything involved in social media out of school. They're not interested. I thought that was a fair comment to so yes, that's the situation. So yeah, I would rather it was parents that told that children they couldn't use it. But if it becomes a band, that might make it easy for some parents. I don't really have a problem with it. I don't think that's why nationals come up with I think nationals come up with ex votes in it. But probably is the same thing in some ways, isn't it. So your comments on that would be fascinated. Also, may as the kids wouldn't want a pager, do even know if you can still get a page? So yeah, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. And also your experience, maybe some of them. I'm just trying to think of some good stuff that's happened to children on social media. I can't think of anything. I can't really think of a positive social media story. I remember when I first started on Facebook, was quite exciting your remade, old people and stuff like that, But those experiences have long gone. Now you just get advertisements for various things. I mean, some of them are interesting. You do see some new products, but most of it to waste of time and literally to waste of time, because we all spend far too much time and that we should Why is that I don't know algorithms, because it's compelling. They know how our brains work, our brains full of plastic microplastics. They know how they work, and they know what they need to do to get us hopped. So good luck with that. By the way, it's got to be drawn from the biscuit box to be voted on, but then it would be a private members bill. I imagine most people would vote for it. And also with the fact that Albanese and Australia the Labor Party, they're into it. I reckon hip I would be into it also, so the two would get together. It would probably pass. It could well be policy next year anyway, I can imagine as they're getting ready for the debate next year for the election twenty twenty six, and whoever is the leader of both parties. But let's say it stays the status quo, and Jenna or whoever they're moderator debate, says lukso will you continue to ban will you still be looking to ban social media? And he'll say yes, and then I'll say to Hipkins, Will if Luxan's going to ban it, what do you do? He'll probably say, well, yeah, there's merit in doing that. So I'm curious with your opinions about that. Eight hundred and eighty ten eighty nine two nine two detext. The other thing I see it's going to be a two topic night t t in two topic night. The other thing I've been doing quite a bit of reading about today is claw machines. Now half of all games in Japan and video parlors are claw machines. And they're the machines where you have that grabber and the container and you direct the grabber and it grabs something and you might win a soft toy that's worthless, but you've won it, and you get a high, that absolute high when it comes off and the grabber gets it and gets it to the drop zone, you're beside yourself with excitement. I stay well clear of them. I kind of think it's some form of gambling, although I'm not trying to have those band but I'm pretty fascinated by them anyway, as you tend to be fascinated by the things you avoid. But today I learned that those grabbing machines. I was watching a video of a guy that was at a factory and he was refilling grabbing machines. Get this, he was refilling grabbing machines that people played online. I had no idea you could do this, so I went onto the websites. You can go to any website or google it, and you can play those claw machines from your cell phone and they will mail the prizes to you. Who knew that he didn't and who's doing it. That sounds buddy brilliant. So yeah, you get some piece of junk email currier to you three months later. But wow, I had no idea you could do it from your forget TIMU. Some of your people could be hooked on those grabbing games. And by the way, I think that they are engineered. They change the dials so for months you don't win anything until they've made the fortune. Then they can wound it up to kind of get you hooked again. Anyway, social media and kids and grabbing machines. That's the two topics for tonight, and I'm big on this particularly. Yeah, I think there's no limit to where we could go with this. There's no limit to the angle fangles on this one. I'm looking at the texts already one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nineteen eleven, twelve, Get in touch, and also your family solutions, because I'm sure there's great battles. I mean, why would a nine year old want to count as steps cheepers? Actually, I'd like to watch the Council of Steps, actually, but I haven't had the character tell him that. Nickots Marcus, welcome, Hello, greetings, good evening.
Speaker 5: Yeah, hi, hey, so you're talking about the grab machines. Just a little story. Just forty years ago, I was in I was in London and there was quite a lot of these parlors and they had a few of those machines. And I went to one of these parlors and it was I think two p pieces that you were supposed to put into the machine there and I looked at them. About eighty percent of the coins are in there from all over the world. Was in London, was a very international place way back then, and there was people from all nationalities and just looked at all these coins. And I went to the manager. I said, what do you do with his staring coins? He said said, I got you know, I got baggs and I said, I like to lick coins. I said, how about I give you a two piece pizza? And I got how I started my coin collects and I walked out with about two hundred, you know, coins to all sorts of countries. I'd hardly even heard of Allstar Africa in Asia and what a great.
Speaker 2: What a great story. And that's not even what and that's not even what you rang up about that that's the big top again.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, wow, yeah, I think that's interesting. With the with the social media band. Funny. It was funny because I thought about pages just a moment before you said. I thought, come home now.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and my partner's saying, of course, come and you'll be bringing pages back. But the kids are just shaking the head, thinking she's meant, you know, honestly, it's not going to have that here.
Speaker 5: I sold dinosaurs.
Speaker 4: Oh are you so?
Speaker 2: Did you have a few on the band? You're okay about it?
Speaker 5: Or I had three three deads?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I mean if they can do it, I think yeah, it would be good. I mean sense of work. Well in school was with the phone thing?
Speaker 6: What do you know?
Speaker 5: I mean, have they implemented something?
Speaker 2: No, I think it's that they've passed the legislation, but I think it doesn't come into December. That's my that's my recall. But look I will fact check that for you, Nick. I'm pretty sure that's the way it's gone. Of course they probably Australia passed landmark laws in October, backing down bending under sixteen. Some social media comes into effect in December. Yes, I was right. The government faced a number of hurdles before then. Good on them. Mail Alben Easy twenty four past eight, Matt, it's Marcus.
Speaker 7: Good evening, Good Marcus.
Speaker 8: Yeah, my phone call kind of encompasses both topics. But I saw on TikTok this guy had a hack for winning a toy on the form machine every single time.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, and what was the heck it's.
Speaker 8: Hard to explain, but he was just he'd grabbed the joystick thing and go andy clockwise around the circles, and when the thirty seconds was up, the clare would automatically come down, and every single time he would win, just by jimming it around andy clockwise every single time.
Speaker 2: Wow, and any reasons why.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I didn't really get it far, but whatever, it.
Speaker 2: Would just go randomly into the middle, would it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they would do it by itself instead of you pushing the button, and it would just lower it down when once the time was up. And that's probably the key to it, I guess, not pushing the button on your own, leaving the machine or it after thirty seconds.
Speaker 2: Because they kend of just the level of grabbing with it too. I wonder if that happened after thirty second Yeah, okay.
Speaker 8: Yeah, could do something in it though, Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll get onto that.
Speaker 8: Okay, yeah, yeah sounds good.
Speaker 2: Did you want to say about social media as well?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I was just going.
Speaker 8: To say I liked the idea because like under sixteen seemed way too young to be on that. But how on earth, like you said, were they police it?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 2: Well, I guess you just I guess you need to sign up to to Facebook, to Instagram, to TikTok or to snapchat, and you just need proof of idea.
Speaker 4: I would think like a student.
Speaker 2: Id well, I mean they know your age, wouldn't they go it is you chet gptai to look at your pictures?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 8: True, Well I think they should do it.
Speaker 4: If they can do it would be great.
Speaker 2: Okay, nice to hear from you, Matt, Thank you, Claw machines and social media band Beth Marcus welcome.
Speaker 9: Hello Marcus. How are you this evening?
Speaker 2: Good? Thank you Bet.
Speaker 9: Both topics again, now that we studied the gravy machines, the claw machines, and stage three statistics at UNI. And there's an algorithm and they grab harder on the eleventh or the assistance grab. It's built into the machine.
Speaker 2: So that is random reinforcement. Is that right? So you get more hooked? Yeah, I feel we did something similar in Stage one psychology with the pigeon picking, and every and every time when the pigeon got reinforced randomly that blue ahead gasket and it was hooked for life. But yeah, okay, so eleventh.
Speaker 9: Yeh yeah, okay, eleventh or fifteenth, depending on which country, which machine.
Speaker 2: Wow, So you should play for a length of time if you want to win, is that right?
Speaker 9: Well, you should stand back and watch from win someone wins. Let them have king cohs before you step up and put your money in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, you just watch it. They're watching. Okay. Beth, nice to talk, Thanks so much for that. Get in touch. You want to be a part of the show.
Speaker 7: Head on.
Speaker 2: The strong start, they say in the industry, strong start with a double topic, the two topic, the two topic, how's your father get it?
Speaker 4: Going?
Speaker 2: Claw machines and social eight hundred and eighty ten eighty Dave, Welcome, Marcus could eat the good ev Marcus.
Speaker 10: We're on the run route from then the cargol se Queenstown. And my eleven year old daughter made you on. In the background, of course, she was listening and quiped up about social media and had a fantastic story to share about about why she's not on it and and funny when your call was talking about you know how they beat when you're sixteen or how they know and and Tatum, my daughter said, well, I just googled what age she had to be to get what was it?
Speaker 4: Girl? Yeah?
Speaker 11: What what was that?
Speaker 10: Tug tiktox hung with her chat Snapchat? She googled and it said you had to be sixteen. So she didn't download it, not that she would have been able to, because of course we had the pair of controls. But I just thought that was that was quite fascinating that that she just googled to see where the age was. Nice to know I've got to po an obedience daughter.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, I got my friend and September last year. And there's always been a six stretch rule of my f that there's no TikTok, no social media, nothing like that, only to contact your parents and your family, because my mom told me the story once where this doctor interviewed this these six these boys and girls around sixteen, and they all said that they regretted having those abilities to have social media and TikTok and snapchat and everything, because they were way too young to process and.
Speaker 10: Understand what they saw.
Speaker 2: So tATu View's got one of the old noki in nine eight one o's I wish. So why she got the smartphone?
Speaker 10: Well, well she actually done a bitter year ago should diagnosed type one not beatis so the way that's managed now is by the phone.
Speaker 4: And then.
Speaker 10: More interesting enough, two and a half year old sister years ago got diagnosed as well. So the pair of them have it. So the pair of them, you know, well phone since she was three, obviously she'd never use it.
Speaker 2: But that's interesting point. So you need that that's got that's got apps on it to help with diabetes control?
Speaker 4: Is that right? You're yeah?
Speaker 2: How you Garston ethel Kingston Devil staircase.
Speaker 10: Lumston pulled over ethel because I thought seven hour probably lesion, that will just make the beat radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, you do lose it about now too, I think I think you switched to the Queenstown frequency. Dave. Nice to hear from you. Thank you, Tatum. Who's so the big question is?
Speaker 12: Now?
Speaker 2: The big question is, oh, he's talking about a different machine, the guy with a coin collection Nick Nick is talking about a I was looking about those as well too. They're only invented in nineteen sixty five. He was talking about the other machine is called a coin cascade?
Speaker 4: Is it.
Speaker 2: Like on Tipping Point? Is it called a coin cascade machine? What are they called? Where you've got those different shelves? I love those? What are they called called? Is a coin cascade? No, it's called something different, like on Tipping Point. If anyone knows what they're called, text me through too, because I had it worked out yesterday. Name of game, Name of game where you win coins on moving shelves.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing about those is half the money falls down the side down the edges. A coin pusher machine. So interesting enough. The coin pusher machines have have been invented quite recently nineteen sixty four. I think, I know that's not recently at sixty, but they thought they'd be older than that anyway, So I'll talk about those as well as well as the grabbing machines A weight one hundred eighty ten eighty nineteen nine two de text head on Midnight. Yes, but by the way that the the claw machines were invented after they made the Panama Canal, because when they're making the Panama Canal they use those kind of things to grab mud. And soon after someone thought, well that's a good thing. We'll put them in a cabinet and you can win soft toys. They weren't electric to beginning. They were just cranked interesting in it. The first recognizable coin pusher was Penny Falls in nineteen sixty four. Yep, true story. I've got texts. Someone called them a coin dozer. I like that too, dB Marcus, good evening.
Speaker 3: I tried that online claw thing. After you mentioned that, I wind up Uncle Google and ask for one of those sites. Wow, not a money maker. So it let me win five times in a row, and then it said if you want to win Biger prizes, please give us your information. Well, of course I locked out.
Speaker 2: So were you on genuine machines?
Speaker 3: No, they were computer generated.
Speaker 2: They're animated because you can go to real machines.
Speaker 3: I'll try.
Speaker 2: That's the point I'm making, is that there's real machines connected to your cell phone and you can control them and they'll carry the put prizes to you.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 4: But of course there's there's lots of things out there that do that.
Speaker 13: You can have.
Speaker 3: I think the Panama Canal. You can roll the cameras there, yes, via apps, and the suspects more cameras and other things everywhere. So I suppose I shouldn't be surprised with the claw machine.
Speaker 2: But it does seem I mean there was because on this video I saw there's like warehouses of claw machines, right, and the guy going through and restocking them.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: And there's no one in them. It's just they're all there for the online customers.
Speaker 3: They're all remotely controlled.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I guess you've just got your cell phone and just push left and right and drop and then they mail the pries to you.
Speaker 3: And Beth was right though. What you do is you stand back and you do some research and once you've worked out what the the wind rakers for any given claw machine, you wacause it's lost that many times, then you yourself and you've got a better chance of it.
Speaker 2: But if you're programming at your program at randomly to tighten up the claw randomly, wouldn't you.
Speaker 3: They would still give themselves a margin. They wouldn't want the randomness to be better than say, one and ten, Yes, that's right, Oh, want it to be worse than one in fifteen. So the Mars will just make it as best said one and eleven or one in fifteen, have be done with it and save themselves some money.
Speaker 2: Five grand a month profit.
Speaker 3: Wow, I'm like, go buy a couple, set them up in my bedroom.
Speaker 2: I don't think that. I don't think you make five grand a month if you own them yourself. I think you've actually got to have them somewhere public.
Speaker 3: No I mean the remote control Oh.
Speaker 2: Yes, no, absolutely, oh absolutely.
Speaker 3: Put up a bedroom full of them and just have them all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a big site. Oh there you are, there's someone where they look at. Oh yes, someone from Elsinki having a going own. Good luck with that.
Speaker 3: Then good luck with that, and you can sit there with a but and go we won't be having that guy winning again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, you should do that because actually it's a good thing for a good thing for these end economy power Well, actually, why would it be good for us.
Speaker 3: I'll make it just for New Zealanders to save on shipping postage. But just a quick one on Facebook. I haven't been on Facebook for many, many, many years, and just that this weekend I went back on to a specific railways employees group and I must have been I've had a lot of fun. Yeah, I've better, you know, reconnected with you know, colleagues home way back.
Speaker 2: I also think Facebook is tremendous for sharing old photos like I'm on time Spanner, which is old photos around all kind of historical photos, and also some other ones audio culture, a couple of those music sites.
Speaker 4: And.
Speaker 2: When it clicks to research and well written either great photos or well written documentary articles about musicians. I think it works very well. The comments normally to tear up quite quickly, but the website, you know face. I think Facebook is fantastic if you're on the right stuff.
Speaker 3: When I first joined Facebook, I found that I was becoming too much of a stalker side turned it off and stop going there and have you.
Speaker 2: Have you become less of a stalker.
Speaker 3: Well, I've, like I said, this is the first time they got in years and years. But I'm only on one side and I am with friends. Yeah, as opposed to stalking enemies.
Speaker 2: Thanks t V. Nice to hear from you. Keep it going people.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Has anyone played the Claw Machine online? Real claw machines, real ones, good evening. Marcus had a lot of lucks on the Teddy Game the clause work one and three. Don't bag the old nock here as I'm still using one twenty years on. Free from any social media ads or scared. I love a Nokia Marcus inland Reven. You'll be able to do the age check for the social media ban. You can win food, keyrings, figures and Lego with CLW machines, you can change settings when they pay out. I watch experts on TikTok paying live. They win lotso Marcus. There are other alternaives to giving your children's smartphone, including the Space Talk smart watch, which is a lockdown sim enabled watch which allows phone calls and text messages bring the child and approved parent. It also allows the child to send their location and their parents to view the location on a map. God ops, it's a bit stalky, I think is it a bit kind of helicoptery craw machines are gambling their program to only work a predtermined percentage at the time, because I don't doubt that Marcus. He may win some votes for this, but I think he's as a whole up more with the equity paything that they are rushing through Parliament tonight. The kid's first smartphone only had eight gigabytes of memory, allowed three apps other than phone and text, couldn't cut with social media, just a few games. Problems solved far a watch? How accurate are they? Steps get counted by arm movements, So if you move your arm while not moving, that count as a step. I've offered one how the I guess the steps work because it's the phone's going up and down as you walk. Wouldn't it be like that if they can detect if they can detect earthquakes for the movement of the phone before you use to detect detect walking. Should I play a claw machine? Should I do it?
Speaker 12: Now?
Speaker 2: Eh? I've googled clan machine and that's something quite different. Claw machine play remotely. The kill Joys are probably bend it, play real claw crazy, play real claw machines, win real prizes, play online now email. I don't want to do that. Might take a bit of a setup for this one. People Sheep getting touch Marcus till twelve. How you're going people? What's happening in your neck of the woods?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Eight hundred and eighty?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: The social media band? Good or bad? What have I been saying all day about that? I suppose I had a good bang on about that? Have they?
Speaker 12: Oh?
Speaker 2: How dare they tell people what to do? What about the parents? It's there job, make the kids lunch, monitor their cell phone usage? So I am interested. Anyone that's played one of those craw machines in real life. Are not in real life, but they've played it remotely in real life. If someone does that, that would be of interest to me and the old social media band. Yes, no, I think most people would be for it.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 2: Did it get rid of the phones at schools? That seem to be fairly successful? I guess it was. I'm not sure about that. I haven't really asked anyone at secondary school that you can take them can't show? Is that right?
Speaker 13: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm still getting to tone with year one, year two, Why do think you're going to form primis and forms. I think that's what a lot of parents are struggling with. By the way is predicted, the South IGN's going to be absolutely downpulled with ret wet weather Thursdays, it's going to hit big now carve train at Rolliston, hate Horne, Sint John have departed the scene with a social media and the claw machines. They're a parenting nightmare too, because I never there's one of these some at the end of Cargo Airport that they should get rid of. They never work, They've never once paid out. I don't know why they're there, god forsaken place, and yeah, always tell preus they don't put any money. It never pays out. But they should just get rid of them. It's a it's not good for people's experience of the airport. Just causes a huge amount of tension. So anyway, I need to pick it up and take it away and dump it somewhere. I feel quite strong about that one. We definitely never paid out, but never does. I don't know what happens if you've tried tuning it off at the wall and shaking it doesn't seem to change it much. I guess they've got things around that anyway. I'm surprised that they are so popular and so compelling. Of course, there's always that great shot of the children that have crawled inside them, you know, that always goes viral. But I think probably parents encourage the children they're toddlers to do that, because how could a toddler climb in there? Seems very unlikely to me, but every so often that's one of the great shots on the local paper. Be in touch if you want to be a pat of the show, Marcus Tall Midnight, as I say, a hundred and eighty Teddy had nine two nine two to text social media. I think everyone seems to be in favor, is that right, which means it will probably happen if no one's opposed. I mean, they're got to draw it out first, but I might make it policy for the next election because if National wants it and Labor wants it, well, then if it's popular, no one's going to go against. So I think they're going to actually lose votes by that. No one cares about the sixteen year olds. They don't vote Marcus. My mate Bobo had the coin machines all over hawks ban the seventies and eighties. He refers to them as sliders. Marcus was that dB Cooper. Yes, the fair in John Street in Newtown used to have machines with a spinning table inside an arm well, then move across and push the button. I love those with the watchers. They were compelling and someone texts through. I thought banning social media front of six would be great as my daughter attempted suicide in twenty twenty due to social media during lockdown. Fine, now it won't work as it will be impossible to force. It would mean everyone whose you would have to have some form of digital idea to prove who they are online, to verify their age, so you need to log into absolutely everything you do to do online. Also, VPNs can bypass us as well to some extent going forward. By no, Now, if I had kids again, they would never get a phone or social media until they were sixteen plus parental controls of REBST way forward, I think not the government wasting money on something that won't work, although you didn't have it. I mean that said with kindness. You say what you know now, so there's no way you can know that Therefore, you surely should be in favor of a compulsory ban, because there's no way parents can know the harm it can cause. Haven't you proven with that text the reverse of what you pointers? I'm just wondering that you might want to comment, Marcus starting to go. Started going to time Zone with my kids three and a half one and a half years, been there four times so far. Each time someone else has won something from a claw machine or one of those doz of machines, and they give them to my kids. Well you would too, No, I already wants a soft beer or a hard bear. Oh welcome people, nine seven seven pasts, don't How are you going? I hope it's good where you are. People. We are talking claw machines. Now. They are the machines you see everywhere, and you can grab soft toys from the claw. I didn't realize just how huge they were. Like in Japan, half of all machines and arcades are claw machines. I don't know why. I don't know why also though, but what I hadn't known until I was reading about them today research is that you can play physical real machines remotely from your cell phone. Wanting to encourage you people to get off tim and get addicted to something else. But if you've done that, how was it and how long did you have to arrive wait for the soft toy to arrive or the key ring or whatever it is? Ill stear my kids to wait for that. Don't know. Yeah, I just I just don't think. I think those machines are appearing forget Facebook. I think those machines are a parenting challenge. All that random reinforcement, you know, next thing, they're hooked. I've been hooked, flan Ste We're clear of them myself. I have had wins. So we have two about Clowe machines and also the social media band. By the way, I've done some reading during the news in Australia. YouTube is not one of the social media that has banned, so YouTube's okay. They're also it's quite a complicated story. There's a British company that's engaged to getting the verification right and I think they have recruited a group of children or people under sixteen and it will be their job to test the security on certain social medias to make sure that they have got their checks and balances worked out. So you probably get done from trapman A bit like selling smokes to under sixteen year olds, even though you address them in bolved with the fake fake mustache and stuff. It's the same with social media. If you are a social media company, you're allowing under sixteen people on your you know, put the onus on them and phone them. So I need to talk about this. People of the lines are free, let's be hearing from you. Social media also too, hasn't even got a good social media story for an under sixteen year old. I don't think anyone has. They just get hooked. I've seen this. They're just on their damn phones the whole time because it's just so compelling. Social media ban is long over due. Children understandably have no self control and don't learn critical skills and awareness into adulthood. The harm from social media oute weighs any perceived benefits. Device addiction, online bullying, pornography, in appropriate content, disengagement from family, deteriorating mental health. The list goes on. Parents can't monitor and can't lead by example because they are addicted themselves. We are a device free household with two young kids. It's not easy, but it's the best for them. Their imaginative play is incredible, and our engagement and undivided attention with them is priceless. They will thank us later. Wow, Scott's Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 4: Here you are, Marcus good thank you, Scott good good. Anon on one of these parents basically back in the day, my daughter's sixteen now in primary school. She's got a good report, so I basically went out and bought her a phone. Like, have never understood computer or technology. I've never owned a computer in my life. Now she's got to the age she's sixteen now and she's just over it. Like she's been bullied before on social media. It's been sorted out, but it's one of those things that the conversation's here at the moment and I know, like you talk about what can be done about it, but I just see the conversation needs to be had because who knows in another five years that that can be sorted out, and when it does get sorted out, you can be in front of the ball too, sort of out. Yeah, so you regret it, Well, I wouldn't say I regret it because she's she's gone through it. She's been through it, and she's like written above it, so to speak, but it's like it's been a hard road and it's like, you know, I just don't know. It's like you know, kids these days, it's like whether or not. It's like if a child has to go through it, I wouldn't want any child to go through it, but if it's a learning curve in this day and age, and like, actually it's just you know, maybe if we put the work in now to sort it out, how like you say, how we going to police it in that and maybe two or three years they can't police it, But it's all about being in front of the board to police it, so to speak.
Speaker 2: And maybe too that the young people themselves will get sick of social media, maybe that maybe it's become old hat, maybe they're into something new. I don't know that that's true, but I wonder about that.
Speaker 4: Well as well. Like my daughter's there saying like she's she's just like that's the thing. It's like she's just over it now. Like you know, she has a TikTok, but it's you know, as far as Instagram and everything like that goes, she's just like she's what everything from her accounts and it's just that thing where it's.
Speaker 2: Like what's the format? What was the format of the bullying? Was the bullying TikTok or face a Facebook?
Speaker 4: The bullying it was it was basically primary school.
Speaker 2: Okay, it was on what social media form?
Speaker 4: Well, it was just like a school format that basically kids were on from from the school and just basically kids got the wrong idea about bits and pieces and just basically attacked her online kind of stuff. I was lucky enough. I talked to the principal and it was sorted out pretty much straight away. Everything was out with But it's it's everything, Like it wasn't so much on a so like Instagram or techtok, but it was like these schools seemed to have like pages like with the students kind of clock into and rumors are spread. Basically the stuff is said.
Speaker 2: School, the school, the school lap Yeah okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah. It's just like and it just spirals out of control kind of stuff. So it's lucky enough that like she went through it in primary school, intermediate kind of stuff. But like now she's in high school. It's like, you know, it was still a factor last year when she was like basically and unfitful, but like now she's just kind of like she's over it, she's you know, it's just so hopefully she's risen above it.
Speaker 2: Nice to hear from you, Scott, Thank you. Fifteen past nine. Mike Marcus welcome.
Speaker 7: I am Marcus.
Speaker 2: Good Mike.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Hey, look, these are smartphones and the apps that these young people are able to access certain services. The tense draws them away from uh, you know, the their lack of knowing where there, where they are, you know, what, what they're moving about.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I really don't.
Speaker 7: I really don't think their whole situational awareness is really bad. And for me, that is like taking away the most basic instinct of a human.
Speaker 2: Uh you know, you're saying social media takes wrecks their development of the world, dyn and their spatial is that what you're saying. It stunts them.
Speaker 7: Yeah, out of their spatial awareness.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And it's like not having you know, an immediate conscience of whether they're at while they're doing something with the moon, about in the community or whatever. And it seemed to really just sort of dumb things down.
Speaker 2: Okay, your favor of the band, Mike.
Speaker 7: I am in favor of band.
Speaker 2: If you if you're kids about that age, No, I don't okay, but you just can see the lack of spatial awareness.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I can see it in the community.
Speaker 2: That's what we want. You're a seer. Oh wait, one hundred eighty daddy texts. Keep those going, Marcus. It's not in the social damage. But pedestrian injuries are up around fifty percent.
Speaker 1: Of the ten years.
Speaker 2: Who that's probably the way the driving's going, is it or is it because people are on their phones. I don't know, Marcus. The wombs are out of the can. You can't put the genie back in the bottle. Gosh, that's a couple of metaphors. What's thed is education and engagement for parents. They are best able to lead by example. That you're not overbearing legislation that will never be enforceable. I'd be thinking me quite easy to enforce it. He enforced anything.
Speaker 7: Good.
Speaker 2: New social media story. My sixteen year old son when he was fourteen, sold gibbets for CROs. He put it from Ali Baba to the people have bled him on Facebook Marketplace. He made two and a half thousand dollar profit. Not bad for a fourteen year old gibbets. There are those things you put through the hole in your crocs. I think probably the gibbet thing has passed. I don't know if I want a gibbet. I've never had a of Crocs. I'm not entirely sure. It needs to happen for me to have a peer, because they probably are a.
Speaker 4: Bit of me.
Speaker 2: I did watch a woman online that made this is me online. She made it. Some of the contries is quite compelling. She made a pair of crocs out of wood. It tooked like fourteen days. And most people saying online their clogs, what you're making is clogs, but they had the holes and the safety strap. Ban ban ban ban everyone wants. No one's got a good social media story. I could even remember my first engagement with social media. It was on Facebook when those were the days old photos been sheared. Goodness. The funny thing is if you're a certain age when you have photos, old photos shared on Facebook. There weren't many photos because no one had cameras. Night clubbing. It wasn't something you did. Do you ever see a photo of yourself out and about with the warbye boot? I mean it was quite different because there weren't many. I was like, whoa, I love a claw machine. I've got my arm stuck in one trying to reach up into the delivery hole. I had a few wines, to be honest, Sonya karaka. Nice to hear from you, sonya. Or it does look tempting, by the way, some of the ones online very interesting things you can win with the grabbers. A lot of those arcades now just when tickets well, I'm not a big fan of that, redeemed tickets for prizes because the prizes are all junk. Yeah, that's not nearly as exciting. Love me a claw machine, Well, I don't really love it because I refuse to play them, but I do like the psychology of them. I do find them quite fascinating. Hello, Abby, it's Marcus. Welcome.
Speaker 12: Hi.
Speaker 2: How's it going good yourself?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You hopped.
Speaker 9: What they say?
Speaker 2: You're hop day? Are you hooked on car machines?
Speaker 14: No, not not so much. My dad's actually listening at them minutes so I'm calling. He told me to call up and tell the core machine story. So I thought I would because he'll be in the shed laughing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, here we go. Yep.
Speaker 14: It's not even that great of a story. It's just the time when we've turned through Wellington once when I was like seven, yeah or something. We were staying at a hotel that was just down the road from an old time zone we like every single day, and it happened to gone like a machine sphere And when me and old it was like a plush toy guitar.
Speaker 5: And I was over the moon.
Speaker 2: Did you win it?
Speaker 14: Yeah? Yeah, you won it for me?
Speaker 2: After how long?
Speaker 14: It didn't take him too long?
Speaker 2: I don't, wow, but he must think that is it the story he wanted you to tell?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Have you still got the plush guitar? Yeah, of course, that's okay. So they had gone there and you're both and he won it. Brilliant. That's nice. You've got you to bring that story, Abby. I like that. That's great. Okay, there we go. That's the story. Is he in the Is this ship in the same house as you? Abby? Is he like I've moved out a home that same city? Yeah?
Speaker 14: Of course.
Speaker 2: How big is the plush guitar?
Speaker 14: It's only a little wee thing, like a foot long or something.
Speaker 2: Because you can't win anything very big. The ones with basketballs, they're my favorite.
Speaker 14: Yeah, Now it's just a small ways brilliant.
Speaker 2: Okay, there we go. Just character headlines. If we want to talk about claw machines. Well, that's good that people are ringing their daughters getting them to call get in touch. The social media ban will never actually happen. It's just a smoke screen to for that other grubby policy they washed through today. Can't stand lux and he's a dog in sheep's clothing. One of them is on pay equity for women, and one of them is that they can actually now allow for big problems projects like dams. They can allow kiwis and animals like that to die. So yeah, fairly controversial. Hello Michael, it's Marcus. Good evening, Good evening.
Speaker 13: How are you good?
Speaker 2: Michael? Thank you.
Speaker 13: So social media ban and not only I have to go with David Seymour and that it's not a workable proposal. So social media is not great. I agree, but that banning an online website, I just always banning alcohol doesn't work.
Speaker 2: Well, hang about, hang about because they reckoned once, the Aussie one kick, And I mean, I mean, if you're a David Simwa echo like fair play to you, but I don't.
Speaker 13: It's not a fair personal But he's a normally right about this.
Speaker 2: But they reckon once the Australian one goes in that and it's proven to be successful. Which they're confident of is that every other country in the world will copy it for every quickly. And there are bands for there are bands for things with age groups. I mean the alcohol ban is you're not comparing like with like. If you look at banning cigarettes to people under sixteen, most under sixteen year olds don't smoke.
Speaker 13: No, but most I said, I will have drunk at some point in the life. Like drunk at some point. Most alcohol bands are under aythings has never been really huge YEA.
Speaker 2: Good, well it has really because most understand I'm talking about smokes. Most under sixteen year olds haven't smoked. I mean they might have smoked occasionally, but they're not hooked on at twenty four seven like social media and people and people under eighteen do not tend to be addicted to alcohol. They don't tend to have enough experience with it to have formed an addiction. Yet people eleven and ten are addicted to social media. So I don't know. I don't know where David Seymour has any expertise on this whatsoever.
Speaker 13: Not been appeared a little bit which is useful I work as a software engineer the tech industry, so websites are kind of my specialty.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Have you struggled Have you struggled with the consequence of children and addiction on social media?
Speaker 13: Not personally, No, I think, in fact, at least a depression a lot of young adults. The studies are very clear of the fact it's not great. So it's just it's the technology to ban any sort of digital interface. It doesn't exist. There's no reasonable way. They tried to do it. What's the pirate? They went back and there, Well have you work?
Speaker 2: Have you seen how the Australians attempting to do it?
Speaker 13: I have, and it's it's really weird. It's not a waysist. The dependent social media is so like Snapchat got left out I believe of their definition because it's used for communications. No YouTube US social media.
Speaker 2: YouTube was the one that got left out.
Speaker 13: Yes, which also is also social media, and.
Speaker 2: There's nothing about there's nothing about snapchat, but YouTube is the one that's not been included.
Speaker 13: I think, right, yeah, yeah, and there will.
Speaker 2: Be a group there is. It's called the Do you know much about the age check certification scheme?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 13: Actually, haven't heard of that.
Speaker 2: Now, okay, that's the UK company that's been recruited to conduct assessment of the technology used to determine whether people are the age they say they are when accessing social media. So they've done the report and they will have people involved also, a group of people that will be sixty or under sixteen that will be trying to get on these devices, so school children will test out estimation with tech estimates estimates how old a user is. So there's quite complicated things. And I presume they could probably ban social media companies that allow sixteen people under sixteen to use those platforms, just like a dairy selling smokes to under sixteen year olds could get banned.
Speaker 13: I mean, I'm sure they I'm sure they could. Look as privenationalogy would work, and I hide up that it as privilegeology does work, then sure it sounds like a great, great solution. I just have very little faith in the technology to work. I guess is my perspective, that does work. Fantastic, But maybe that's.
Speaker 2: All the parents need. Maybe your parents need to say you're not allowed to be on and it's banned. I mean that yeah, itself would be something, would it not. I'll tell you something well, I don't know if I'll tell you something, but something that I am interested in bloring a little bit. Often when there's legislation proposed, and I don't know if this is ever going to be drawn, but the Australian one is going to happen. That often when legislation is proposed, people will say it'll never work, which is a really easy thing to say, because how did you disprove that that it will work? But here's a question for you. What's an example of a piece of legislation that was introduced that didn't work. I'm sure there are some, but I can't remember what they are. We always hear about things that aren't going to work, and it always seems to they always seem to find a way to make them work. I'm trying to think of a form of legislation. I mean, we could talk about that left hand turn rule, that weird one when you gave right, you gave way to traffic on your right turning right, and then I'll joy So Stephen always came in with the National Party and got that overturned, one of his great achievements the old remember that. So that was a but that worked for the time it was just confusing and seemed a bit daft, and they went back. But I just want to think about legislations they say are never going to work and actually do work. So I can't think any time the naysayers were proven right, can you? Probably prohibition would be the one thing that was not successful. And I presume that was to do with bribery and cops gone bad and crooked judges. This is the American occasion. But yes, so you might want to talk about that also tonight. Social media and claw machines. How to beat them? Banning social media to under sixteen should have been done fifteen years ago. Children. They are so groomed with these apps they will do anything to bypastorals. It won't work. Focus on other more issues. I'm a national support of but disagree with this. Shut the gate after the bull has charged? How will it be monitored? Michelle follow the money. Michelle also said I believe that Anzac Day should have more importance than Easter in New Zealand. Has Anzac affected everyone in New Zealand? Easter is only for those that believe in it. Wow, we got Anzac Day. Someone says MMP is one of those things that people had said it never worked, but it worked well. People say it didn't work, and it did well. I think people are happy with them MP. Do we have another chance to vote on it again, we'd decide to stick with it. I think the majority are quite in favor of mmp.
Speaker 7: OH.
Speaker 2: A lot of people said that banning plastic bag wouldn't work. It seems to have been quite successful. It's a good point that one blending of plastic straws that seemed to work. Trump didn't like it. America's gone back and they've banned the paper ones. I think a lot of parents will be upset because taking away their social media and turn you're taking away their babysitter. Thanks Patrick Marcus. The classic band that never worked was the ban on spray paint to stop graffiti. Did they have a band on spray paint? I don't know anything about that. I don't know how they get hold of it. I know it's age restricted, but yeah, I actually think there's not much tagging it all these days. I mean, for a while, they're twenty years ago and talk aback was a total moral panic. But these days, I mean people just ignored it, and it seems to pretty well sorted itself out, hasn't it. I'm just reading about the Boo Boo if anyone's across the story, So Craze sweeping Australia properly New Zealand. La Booboo, a very plushy featuring a bizarre grin and sharp teeth, has become the ultimate status Buddhists boosting item pop with huge celebrities such as Rihanna and Jua Lupa lipa designed by Hong Kong born artists Kasing Long. The product is sold by Chinese toy company PopMart. Finding collaboration with Loan on the storybook The Monsters, recent in twenty fifteen. So that's what everyone wants. I don't know anything about it. You might have something understand something about that. It's fully grown adults, not children so much that are desperate for these I want to talk about social media. What harm would it do to Bannitt Marcus. I think it's never too late. Ban it now and you'll see results in ten to fifteen years Marcus. More importantly, is there any rain hitting the hydro lakes? Cheers Ga. The lakes low has been dry down southeast. I think there will be raining in the hydro lakes. It will be a very special thing. Spray cans locked away in hard you don't know where people get hold of them anyway, Marcus klaw machines. When I was working at my first job at the Bowling Alley, there was an arcade which included claw machines, one of which was for giant soft toys, and the claw was mess if. One girl had her money stuck in the machine and by the time I fixed it, she was gone. I hit the button to release the glorious claw and picked up a huge pink bear. Pretty big women. In terms of soft toys and claw machine. Side topic, I had a Nippy's five hundred million stay beautiful. Side topic two spurs aren't that good? I don't follow English football, but thank you for that. Oh what else can I tell you? People? A new Pope. The vote for the new Pope starts tomorrow. Mother's Day is Sunday. The new Miss Mission Impossible movie, The Final Reckoning starts on the seventeenth of May, and the budget is on the twenty second of May. This day in twenty twenty three, Charles three and Kimilleu a crown King and Queen. This year in two thousand and for the final episode of Friends aired. I don't know what happened in the final episode of Friends. This day in nineteen ninety four, that's thirty one years ago, the Channel Tunnel opened. This day. In fifty four, Roger Banister became the first person to run a mile under four minutes. And this day, in thirty seven the Hindenburg zeppelin filled with hydrogen went up in flame. So she's a big day in history. Also to this happening in Sydney. If you park over someone's driveway in Sydney, fine as six hundred and sixty dollars. Sure there'd be great fans for that here. Now, how likely is a world war within the next ten years? I can tell you forty one. Between forty one and fifty five percent of respondents in five European countries British, Britain, Spain, Germany, Italy and Spain said they thought another world war was fairy or fairly likely with the next five to ten five to ten years, if you shared, by forty five percent of Americans and sixty eight to seventy of six percent said they expected any new confort would involve nuclear weapons, and fifty seven to seventy three percent thought a third World War would lead to great loss of life in the nineteen thirty nineteen forty five war. Oh that's not free cheery, is it. But get in touch. You on to be part of the show. Marcus till twelfth, social media and claw machines love your talk before the news if you want to come through. Oh, by the way, we think we know why Trump wants to reopen Alcatraz. Now Alcatraz represented something very strong, very powerful in terms of law and order. Our country needs law and order. Alcatraz, I would say the ultimate right Alcatraz sings, singing Alcatraz the movies. Trump continued, Now, it's not right now, not, it's right now a museum, believe it. A lot of people go there. It's how's the most violent criminals in the world, And nobody ever escaped. One person got there, but they, as you know the story, they found his clothing rather barely ripped up, and it had a lot of shark bites, a lot of problems. But it seems as though it's sharks at freak about So none of this is true. But he's obsessed with sharks, and that seems to be the whole thing for that. Trump has a long standing interest in sharks. During the campaign, he spoke occasion about electric batteries and choosing introcution over death by shark attack. In twenty fifteen, he nearly landed a leading role in the Sharknado three film, So there we go. It's all about sharks. The Alcatraz history page sketches out fourteen escape attempts, but none that mentioned a shark bitten shirt. In fact, it states that one of the many myths about Alcatraz is it was impossible to survive aor swimthyard to the main lmber because of sharks. In fact, there are no managing sharks in San Francisco Bay, only small bottom feeding sharks. The main obstacles with a cold temperatu the strong currents in the distance. To sure, Trump segue to the movies when asked why he wanted to open the Toorious prison. I guess I was supposed to be a movie maker, he said, after fielding an earlier question about his sudden announcement to step one hundred percent tariffon films produced in foreign lands. We are talking about the banning of social media to under sixteens. A lot of people say it well, but most people a sense of very much in favor of it. I am ambivalent, but I think that the criticism is that it can't You can't just say you can't do something because it's not going to work. I think if you really want to do something, you can make it work if there is that will, and there seems to be that will. But yeah, the parents are to blame because the parents enable children because they give them phones, and they give them phones because they want to be good pair. They want to know where their children are and they want their children have phones because it's easy for logistics for pickups and change of plans and the likes. So the parents are to blame it. I'm sure the parents themselves haven't grown up with it, so they're just giving that to them and I think it's going to be easier thing. And unfortunately they give their children their own their own old phones which are smartphone enabled, and of course the kids get given that. It's like you know, trying to get altitude and then down to sea level, you just can't. You just go nuts because there's so much there. So yeah, it is a parental problem, but the parents have no idea. Parents are busy, they just want to do their best, but it seems to me they're making mistakes. So yeah, and I guess if there is a band, they can say, hey, no, the government has banned it. You're not allowed to cell phone. Or if they've got a cell phone and it's got those apps and they say, hey, you've got to leave those it's illegal. Give you something to say, doesn't It gives you a point of contact. You say you can't do that. It's like if you find your kid drinking and say, hey, eighteen, is it eighteen anyway? Or doing something else whatever it is, meth or I don't know what the analogy is, but you'll thought of something. Or spray painting buildings. Alex ats Marcus, good evening.
Speaker 5: Hi Marcus.
Speaker 15: There you're going complainer of the band. I've got two daughters growing up, got two daughters growing up. Really want to avoid them using this stuff. In terms of how it can be implemented, the government actually has an online logan for something called real Meat, which tracks your study link, your IOD, your company's office, company registration all in one and has all your personal data. Now Facebook doesn't have to have all that data. What the GCSA, and you know government passes can do that, say track if you're trying to go Facebook dot com, it prompts you to log in through that before you can access the website Facebook dot com. And the only way you get access to Facebook dot com if identifies that, oh, according to this profile, you're over sixteen, you get an iod number of very much at a very young age, under eighteen as soon as your first job at et cetera. So you know, I don't see why not that can be implemented as a gateway to get it.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 15: They're not going to stop people paming a VPN that tells you that, oh, you're logging in from the USA or something like that. Kids have to really pay for that or go some reary, nefurious means to get into that stuff. So I think that's one of the ways it can be implemented them shouldn't be too costs since we already.
Speaker 2: Have the infrastructure, and talk to me about this is there must be a way if because Facebook is operating here, they need to respect their rules. So Facebook, TikTok, Snapchat, Instagram, if they find that they have got sixteen year old uzellers on their site. Surely they can be banned because that would be the law in our country and they would be not be o bay. I mean, they can only operate in our country if they provide, if they obey the laws laws of this country. So you have some significant times for them if yeah, I know what you're say, Yeah, okay, go again.
Speaker 15: You know what what I'm saying is that you know, not necessarily a law to ban it, but more like we have a gateway to get into the website initially, so yes, it's not like it's a legal ban. It's more like, oh well then you see on government has a policy you have to log in through before you can access this website. And suddenly, what's he do you know? You can't get into the website if you're under sixteenth.
Speaker 2: But what I'm saying if someone does manage to bypass that and they do find themselves on Facebook, then New Zeidland government can find Facebook for allowing someone under sixteen who's a citizen of this country on Facebook, and they could actually that could that would encourage Facebook to be slightly more rigorous with who they lead. I don't even know what the age group is for Facebook, do you.
Speaker 16: Well?
Speaker 15: I don't need a Personally, I have to stop using it as off right. But if I'm perfectly honest, I think that's a slippery slope. When you start talking to big organizations saying or you have to do this, you have to do that, it's more like, you know, one, we.
Speaker 12: Just have.
Speaker 5: A lot of kids.
Speaker 2: Dang, I'm sorry, Why is this slippery slope? I mean if you ben if you do you find dairies for selling cigarettes to sixteen year fifteen year olds, why couldn't you find Facebook for allowing fifteen year olds on their website? You don't say its the slippery slope If daiies aren't allowed to sell smokes to kids.
Speaker 15: Okay, Well Facebook's not only just there for the social media aspect. They have a marketplace, so cerdainly if you say, well, you can't act this Facebook to use marketplace, do you say the same about trading to those same kids that want to sell stuff on trading or buy stuff off trading?
Speaker 2: Well, do you think kids should be on Facebook and on marketplace?
Speaker 15: I don't think they should be. I'm just saying what defines whether that's social media or whether that's just something where you sell and buy goods.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think social media and the Australians. In the Australian example, it's Facebook, Facebook, It's Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram and TikTok. So Facebook would bean marketplace as well.
Speaker 15: Okay, so we have a blanket band across all aspects of Facebook and meta applications as well. So that's WhatsApp fall into that as well in that case market because that's just literally just the texting and calling app.
Speaker 2: I don't know. If I don't know, we're already looking at the Australian example, Australian social social media all.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I think it covers all the meta applications, including WhatsApp, which I find pointless to be honest. But that's just calling and texting. I mean, you know what, what's the harmond that's a seen year olds?
Speaker 2: Are your kids on WhatsApp?
Speaker 15: No, that's too young. I don't wanted to grow into that sort of stuff. But yeah, I've probably pull a lot of parental controls. But what I'm suggesting is the government and force parental control in the way I mean, you know, passing a law. You know what else do we start banning after, you know, after social media, we find something else that's harmful be Alex.
Speaker 2: WhatsApp's not in the band?
Speaker 5: Oh good good. I don't agree for what's band?
Speaker 2: WhatsApp Messenger kids? What are the others? WhatsApp Messenger kids? What are the others? Don Google, classroom, YouTube and kids help line out of the scope of yeah, YouTube and the band Alex. The band hasn't happened yet. It doesn't happen until December.
Speaker 5: There's gonna be.
Speaker 15: Some sort of lobbying because these these are multi billion dollar dollar organizations. They're probably going to do something to get around this sort of stuff. And we'll never see the light of day of the band.
Speaker 2: I reckon convinced the light of day Alex. It's been It's been hailed around the world, has been the most significant policy in Australia. Yeah, it'll happen. I have no doubts. Marcus. Your phone is not old unless it's broken, so it's no use to your children. Why are you buying a new phone if there's nothing wrong with it. I think people are updating, aren't they. They justify give themselves a new phone thing. It'll be good for the kids, Marcus, It's a dumb idea. Kids will just navigate to another social media page and then there'll be zero protection. I'd much rather my kids using the same thing I'm on. Really wow, we were the kids my great too. Oh boy, get in touch Jamie Marcus. Welcome, Hey Mark, and.
Speaker 12: Here you go.
Speaker 16: Call her, call her about past marketplace. It my fifteen year old or is forever getting kicked off marketplace?
Speaker 5: Really too?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 16: Yeah too? They just turn it off. So I think it's because he's too young. So he asked me for an email address, and he always manages to get it back, but then he'll yeah, then they work out that he's too young, and then they shut it down. Happened, It happened to all of us.
Speaker 2: Made what So he's fifteen? What are they buying and selling on Marketplace?
Speaker 16: I just looked for like cheap motorbikes and things he can fix. And then he tries to swap a motorbike he's fixed for something else. Is quite entrepreneurial.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, that seems like a real gift for him.
Speaker 16: Yeah yeah, so but yeah, they and then his screens are always you know, and anyone got an email address, we need to sign up again marketplayer. Just anyone plays the marketplace. But then they do sign up again, and sometimes I won't give them the marketplace back. They only give them the faith. And then they're quite funny and they feel ripped off that they went through all the rigular role to sign up again and that they haven't even got it back again.
Speaker 2: So he's quite sensible with the social media by the sounds of things.
Speaker 16: Yeah, yeah, he's pretty good. I was. The two younger kids six and seven. They're not on it obviously, but yeah, he like, yeah, we've just moved to the country last week, so I think he probably needs the social media to chat to experience and then snipchat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he'll be remote. Now, you'll be remote, not knowing any one. They've moved them to the boondocks.
Speaker 16: Yeaheah, yeah, that's yeah. It's just funny how you so differently. They are kind of self policing it. I guess, well, I can only go for meta. I don't know about the other like ticked off and what.
Speaker 2: Hate? How they call it meta? See the country fell out of love with that, and didn't they?
Speaker 16: Oh how yeah, how good funny? I look at I look at it as nothing talks to the camera, like because he's the next cop. Like he's just pulled you over and he's about to give you a ticket, but before he's given you the ticket, he gives you a spear.
Speaker 5: Mate.
Speaker 16: You know, I could have done you twenty over, but I'm only going to give you ten because I'm a good guy. You know. He kind of put that xt cop sort of vibe. And the Trump policies are very trump like. Think once Trump came the US economy, the Australians didn't want a bar of them.
Speaker 2: You make a good point with cops a because that cops small talk when you've been pulled over. Boy, that's going to be some of the most that's going to be some of the most difficult conversations you have because you're not really in a position of power.
Speaker 17: Are you.
Speaker 16: Yeah, And I just think he's yeah, Like that's how Dune Import to the Nation was like that. So I kind of thought he, yeah, there was no compassion, you know, whereas you look at Elbow, I sort of talked up a bit of compassion and I know he's kind of he captures you. But then a lot of my Australian teams they are too they were going to vote for They all said, are you going to vote for Liberals? Because liberals are known to be good with the economy.
Speaker 5: That's all they did.
Speaker 16: I was like, can you elaborate on that? And they could have. There's no good with the economy. Liberals are only want the economy.
Speaker 2: And I'm really, how are they feeling about How are they feeling about the loss? They took it badly? They're good with the economy type people.
Speaker 16: Oh yeah, well they just obviously the sound bad. But the uneducated truck rather so. I haven't actually spoken to them about it because it wiped me up too much.
Speaker 2: Nice to hear from your Jamie. You house worked out, all right.
Speaker 16: Yeah, it's pretty good. Yeah, the kids love it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 16: So the fifteen year old's got a wires end eighty five. So all weekend all I could hear was two stroke dirt figs sitting around. But yeah know they love it so cool.
Speaker 2: No rettlesnakes or anything.
Speaker 16: No, no, no. When we went to look at the place, we didn't see one stake. But I think they're hibernating now.
Speaker 4: It's pretty cold.
Speaker 2: Any koalas.
Speaker 13: I think that is.
Speaker 16: I haven't seen any. We did have a possum living and we call it the Bossom Ship. It was like an old water tank ship. But yeah, that doesn't seem to be there anymore.
Speaker 2: What what use the motorbike?
Speaker 16: Oh god, probably too sound and until or something that's cold old, But he loves it. Make the hell of the record.
Speaker 10: He seems to ride it.
Speaker 16: Around and just m riding around this remn and he must have loved the sound.
Speaker 2: Of the pretty good. Nice to hear from j We hold your horses, people with you soon get in touch, JT. Marcus welcome, good, how to go good, Thank you JT.
Speaker 3: As far as the social media goes, I'm in favor of the band. And the good thing we've learned today is that the Axe Party are a bunch of spineless douchebags. Wow, what they've done to punching down on woman today. And you know they are just idea logically driven the Muppets. My son is twelve and a half and I want this band to come in before in the next.
Speaker 2: Year as most of his mates got the phones.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep. He's got a tablet that he's always using and he's one point seven meters tall and eighty five kg, so he's a big unit.
Speaker 2: And what's the fact that with the site's got to do with social media.
Speaker 3: You try taking it.
Speaker 2: I see what I see? Why? No, I'm glad, I asked, I see exactly what you're saying. Okay, well yeah, okay, yep.
Speaker 3: Recently he's even started getting up halfway through the night and putting a movie on in the lounge.
Speaker 2: It's going to make parenting. It's going to make parenting much easier if it's illegal. And I'm not saying you and I are week parents because it would be anything, but but boy, oh boy, it's going to make things easier.
Speaker 3: Just just the fact that you can say that it's illegal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can't legal. That's sixteen.
Speaker 3: That's all you need. And all these social media owners and like that, they don't let their own families use it because they know the way that algorithms work. I mean, I was going to introduce a new topic about did you hear about the twenty public halls in the center Otago Council area that they're trying to get rid of?
Speaker 2: Didn't click saw the headline, didn't click on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're trying to get They reckon that there's twenty halls, and they reckon they need three hundred thousand dollars each of earthquake strengthsening over the next five or sixty years or something.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking, should there should be the condition of those billionaires moving there restore a hall.
Speaker 3: Those those halls have already been there for about one hundred years. They're not going to start falling down. It's just stupid laws that they try. And and the crazy thing about the many A Toto is the population's only ground by sixty people over the last twenty years, but yet the other half of the council area, Alexandra and Cromwell populations ground by at least fifty percent in.
Speaker 2: The last how long twenty years. I spent some time in the last couple of weekends up in Wonca, and I just could not believe how much, how big that whole three or what I'd ever know that shopping center that's gone. I can't work out what population they're expecting there is that much gone in there as far as retail and lighted. It's unbelievable. It's looking like it's going to be one hundred thousand, that they're planning for one hundred thousand people's city.
Speaker 3: I went to Wanica there for the first time in about twelve years, about two weeks ago or three weeks ago, a ring up and said about it. And they've got that one lane bridge between christ Church and Wanaka that mind blowingly crazy.
Speaker 2: And how can you how can you just open a city to such an adult rate of commercialization and say you don't want a McDonald's. How smug is that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I said, I said that to the locals. I think they are sick of hearing about people going on about how they need a McDonald's.
Speaker 2: Well, just come across as precious and slightly pious.
Speaker 3: That whole Uppercluse, the area with Albert Town and how we're flat and Lake Harware and Lugget and that it's going to end up being you know, it's going to end up being a city before too long.
Speaker 2: I think it ended up being South South, the South Island's second biggest city, because.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true. Everyone reckoned that CenTra Otago has got more populations than the Needing But it's going to take a lot longer before that happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, it's I mean, I don't. I mean, last time I looked at one o t only about ten thousand or something. I mean, but you check all the other bit to the.
Speaker 3: Twelve eight hundred.
Speaker 2: Okay, I look at those holes. Will they knock them down or will they sell them?
Speaker 3: Well, I think all the locals are going to rally round and start using them more. They need to be used like daily so that the say that the rent doesn't increase too much. But also a lot of those local communities they've had fundraisers, barbecues and all that to upgrade them and put a new kitchen equipment and all sorts to try and for the council to try and say, if the council wants to save money, they need to get rid of personnel, don't to get rid of country. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, so they were worried about the water bills. That's the trouble. Should have gone with three waters, but they two got too antsy about that. It's the key, that's why the rates are through the roof. I'm gonna run, Joe Tel I'm on headlines, but nice to hear from you, Marcus. My friends and I only communicate through various game chat rooms for parties, get together a business meetings because they can't be monitor hacked on. Social media apps are so last decade, so they can ban away. It won't make difference to us old people are so out of touch. There you go by the way people. I saw in the paper too that the hunt Ridge which has become one of the recent great walks. A lot of people did it the last season, big amount, which is which is good. It's a.
Speaker 8: Becau.
Speaker 2: It's a good walk. But the first days are fairly it's a long walk first days like six hours, which probably as far as great walks go, is quite a long time climbing up. So there you go. But that seems to be the one that everyone's doing. There's not much happens in two we before and after the walk. That's where you start from to a tarparty. So just warning you, but if you want to give it a go, I'd recommend it. Get in touch by name is Marcus. Social media and the Claw Machines. Did you know you could play the claw machines remotely? Because I never knew that you can actually play claw machines, real clor machines via your phone. Have you done that? How much have you won, doesn't matter how big your kids are, Just unplug your modem. What about the dodgy conversations that happened on chatrooms on Minecraft games that seems worrying. I don't really know about chatrooms on Minecraft. I know you can talk to people your friends. I haven't really experienced that. I think the children play Minecraft or Fortnite. Someone has sent a message that says rap Al curtis a brit that flew with the RNSNAF nineteen seventy three to nineteen seventy nine during the Royal Navy on the Sea Harrier killed today six eighty two. We took off in a peer to investigate a contact over the still burning HMS Sheffield. Neither he nor the wingmen were of a seen nor heard from again, presumed mid air collision. Someone some young persons come in and said that old people are say out of touch, but I'm around a lot of young people with kids, sports, whatever, and they seem to and yeah, there are people that are kids at eleven, twelve thirteen. They seem to be very, very captivated by TikTok. So you can say that they're out of touch, But are you telling me that children are into TikTok? It seems to me that they certainly are you with your special chat room, So maybe I am out of touch, but it seems to be the kids are all on TikTok. What about kids that want a what about kids that want a step hunter. They've had a nine year old that wat a smart watch that'll count your steps, thought, fidget spin a y, I'll count your steps. I told him and started counting his steps. Wasn't of that at all. One I was with the other kid the other day and they're at the basketball with some of his mates, and they said, who's that guy? That's my father? Least least he admitted it. My dad was sporting in like an Abe Lincoln bed and yeah, anyway, so yes, oh he's my father. I thought that was priceless. Who want to count their steps? Never wanted to count my steps. Don't think they're accurate. Marcus. My wife's son and his mate at a claw mashoe at the cinemas the Albany Ork and his mate won a toy. So when the trap door opened to drop the toy out, my son's wife's son jumped and then the door. Who got stuck in there to One of the staff opened up the glass door to let him out. He was in the mid twenties. The twitter the claw doesn't close until it's above the toy's head. If you have won one, then that's better than me. Marcus. The book style and focus and excellent openly inside of the power of social media distrectened the vent attention for all ages, not just young people. Well worth the read. I've instantly deleted all the apps and feel lighter and happier as a result. That's from James. If you complain that your Sky sport now lives live streamers glitching, Sky blames your into that connection, even if it's working fine for everything else. When I was a teenager, drinking under twenty one was illegal, didn't stop us. Sex hunder sixteen was illegal, didn't stop us. Making something illegal doesn't stop anything. It just makes it hidden. Kids have to learn from their own mistakes. Well that's not quite right, really, Yeah, I mean I think you could, actually you could actually say quite a lot to that text. Good evening. When I was living in Perth, used to put coins in the claw masue at work, never onon phones or anything cool. BUTTT got a Kerbitt and a Miss Piggy and gone. So when they were providing the Muppets, I see Miss Piggy's on a bit of a comeback. She's become a pop culture icon. I see Marcus. I'm a mum of four, nana of three. Parents are responsible for teaching and guiding their kids. Schools should ban phones at school. They have that gentleman before saying is twelve year old ways eighty five kg states his son is up watching TV at two am. So what the government needs to do is turn off the TV system at eleven like that I used to so parents don't need to parent. My son doesn't allow his two children to watch TV at all. Monday to Friday TV no one watches TV. Parents pay the bill on the phone most of the time, have some control over what they can and can't do. There should be a phone planned for under sixteen year old with limited access. Well that's not a bad idea, but you make an age sixteen. You can't do social media bomb solved. I'll tell you what. There'll be a ton of votes in it. Luxan wants to get back in. That's what he needs to do, and then Chippy or say I'll do the same thing. Then there's no difference. You've kind of nullified it just like that. Also, some decis I've actually just got an email. This is a scam. I've just received an email right Health New Zealand, please confirm your email address held by health user and tifutto or they would be asking via an email to confume your email. Would they where this email address in our records that you've provided to one of our hospitals in the past. It's the bottom it's got, it's clever, it's got be aware of phishing email scams. If you're not comfortable selecting the links in the email, you can find more information on the Health New Zealand to futto or a website and search for patient email verification. Now that's clever. That's a scam, Adan, But they put the bottom bit. Where would I look to see if it's a scam? Oh, I tell my private email. I'll thought it to you. Include a tatrigion investment to.
Speaker 17: Dan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have a look at that time if that's a scam. Because yeah, it's got me confused. I'm in that age age group now I'm probably am susceptible to scams. Scams. Did it come through? What come through? Does it come through? It's because it Health New Zealand White White. Taha, it's weird. Does it come through?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I pushed scent. It's sent from here eleven o nine got it? Ere we go. Come on, people, let's be hearing from you. Anything else you might want to talk about tonight, would love to you. There might be something entirely different, random loose. I don't know what you got tonight. I just do my best. What have you got? People? Also the great walks? Have you done the hump Ridge? Have you climbed miser peak? There are two questions for you. There's a scam. It's a scam. It's a scam. It's a scam. Yeah, Why they're seeing emails to check on? That looks scammy though, Hey, it's unprompted exactly why they're seeing that. Has anyone else got a scam from Health New Zealand asking for email details? And I think it is a phishing scam? pH Come on, if you're driving doing something interesting, need your calls now. Let's get this last hour to go quickly so I get on with the day. People come on pretty bad. They rode down all those pool Hootakawa trees and Hawk's Bay. Cheapest. They'll get them on a security camera. By the way, we had to carry outside our house. It's all happened in Bluff. There was a ute that got set like to now they're looking for someone with a tin of petrel cheapest Glendaya.
Speaker 12: Hi, how are you?
Speaker 2: Is it not a scam? No?
Speaker 12: I work for a DHB and they are starting to send out people wanting to know confirmations of their right email so that they can start doing appointments by emails.
Speaker 2: Really, yeah, I don't think I've ever engaged with the health system apart from a collarbout about fifteen years ago. Would that would that be what they've got it from?
Speaker 12: Could be, But I know with our DHB and they were starting to send out them to people that I don't know if it's because they're in the system or not, whether they go right through the hospital records and just check everybody. But I know that our DHB is definitely doing it.
Speaker 2: At the moment, it was the only gout engage, the only way to gain The only way I'd engage with the hospital would be if I was sick and fronted up there and then it'll ask me my email. Why would they're going to be emailing me something, are they?
Speaker 12: Well? Just in case I want it on record for later on. Maybe it is a scam with you one, but I know our da. You're definitely sending out emails at the moment, checking to see if stuff got the write email addresses for people, so I don't.
Speaker 2: Think it's going to happen. Yeah, okay, that's kind of you coming through Glendre. I appreciate that. So not a scam maybe, But I still don't want to get because you don't want the hospital emailing you. They just get, they'd be just be, they'd freak out. They'll be bad news, wouldn't it. It's the last thing I want. I just want to stay well clear anything else people. That's that one sorted out, Marcus. I treat everything as a scam these days, lol. I always talk, not really talk to my partner or Dan. Seems to be the way it works for me. Is this a scam, it's not a scam. I've had the same I got that email, Marcus. I'm not a huge fan of craw machines. I call them pokey machines for kids, they certainly are the gateway. I was so hooked on those coin coin shove what they called coin does coin pushes. Love those as a child obsessed with them, would bite for miles to play one. It's gambling, no doubt about it. Marcus had to scam the dab won't be saying that to everyone. Only people waiting for appointment'll get an email confirmation. Well else you said, it's true. There has to be rules and regulations in place for society to function properly. The pointers that rules will always be broken. We have to teach our kids to make good choices and courage them to want a productive life. I know people whose sons have never had a job and stand in their rooms on their phones. Mine have worked since I left school. None of us had a TikTok, but we do use YouTube. Around nineteen to eight, well into the airport, there was a game that gave you an electric shock. You put in a coin and held the handles, then tune up the parent till you couldn't take it anymore. Come on, more of you, let's be hearing from it. Come on, did you reply as me dan.
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Dan's replied, okay, so if you sent me an email, dan Oh to my phone, Gee, a thousand different things happening. I just want your calls, guys, give me a cavlcat of calls before the end. We need it now more than ever. Come on, what have you got? You might have something really exciting to tell me?
Speaker 15: Who so?
Speaker 2: Did you email them? Oh yeah, Flip too complicated. I'm gonna get rid of my phone soon. I would get a pope tomorrow. What time to expect smoke signals? There isn't an exact time. Here we go, We're on, We're all on. Give me everyone, you get the other one. We haven't got time to expect smoke. There isn't an exact timing for the smoke signals that occurs during a conclave. Experts use past cloon caves may get you get a guesses on the conclave's first dates, like the Cannibals, will only conduct one round of voting. As the majority of the day we spent taking care of the introductory business, including a special sermon led by one of the church's top officials. One or black smoke. Could we expect around seven or eight local time? We'll be here for it, Giselle, it's Marcus. Good evening, Good.
Speaker 18: Evening, Marcus. That's that fishing email. You can tell who it's from by the email address that it came from.
Speaker 2: Oh you might.
Speaker 18: What email address?
Speaker 2: Did it come from whereould I click.
Speaker 18: On if it came to you, then at the top it will say from I've it's got you know j GB ALEX you know at something else or rather than you think, oh, this is.
Speaker 13: Just a fish.
Speaker 2: Well I looked at that.
Speaker 18: Who is it from?
Speaker 2: So I clicked on that and it just comes up. I can't see where where the email is.
Speaker 18: You can't see their email address?
Speaker 2: No, because it's on my cell phone right.
Speaker 18: Oh oh it's a text. Sorry, it's not an email.
Speaker 2: It is an email, but it's on my You know how when you get your cell phone emails, as it goes as much information.
Speaker 18: Yeah, what about if you click on reply then it'll come up with an address.
Speaker 2: Ah, if you push reply, it says from Health New Zealand. Why TAHA can to repatient verification email dot verification at TYPOAMU, dot health INZ, dot gov dot in Z. That looks a jit, doesn't it.
Speaker 18: It's looking good. Unfortunately, it's looking good.
Speaker 2: It is correct to Yeah, okay, I can see how people get confused about that. Sheefers creepers. I don't know why the cost wants to contact me too. That's not something that I've got any desire for I got that email to it checked by a person works with schemes.
Speaker 4: Is it was?
Speaker 2: Okay? There we go. Come on, more calls, more of this, less of this, more of this, less of that, anything that social media. Let's get rid of it. Let's get rid of everything. Claw machines. You might have a good story about those, A drunken story about a claw machines. Now, what's this about? Pyramid? I don't understand that text anyway, Do get in touching on a talk? Anything goes before the end, including stories about claw machines. I hate those new game parlors that you go into and you just win tickets. All the games are all sizzled, but there's no joy to them. You want just claw machines, coin pushes and those round ones that knock watches off. But once you become a parent, boy, oh boy, kids always want money for those, don't they. Nope, nope. For while, you get sick of saying, no, can I have a step counter?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 2: Can I mind you?
Speaker 16: The kid?
Speaker 2: The other kid's never asked for self, and he just knows he's not getting one. What a remarkable child he is? Oh yes, okay, yeah, HIZL. Sorry, I cut you off before we had some more stuff to say.
Speaker 18: Oh, that's right, I just had double juice tonight. So that yeah, the pay equity claim. So I've just left an industry in support work, family support work because I finished what I was studying. So I've now registered as a health professional. But so my industry, which was as support workers, like mental health support workers, has had a pay equity claim in the works for three years, and so all of the legal paperwork that was done for that has now been quashed. If this bill goes through, then what support workers have been waiting for three years for is now counseled. It's null and void. And yeah, I just feel really disappointed about.
Speaker 2: And Gselle just looking quickly at social media. It's all done under urgency, which there's no reason to do it under urgency. That's your understanding as well.
Speaker 18: Yeah, well, it just means that claims that have been ongoing for several years that were coming to completion have have now been told. You know, your claim is not going to go through. All the claims that you know that are in process of being canceled, you have to start again.
Speaker 13: And so.
Speaker 18: You know, so much money has been spent on legal costs by certain unions and organizations banning together to go for pay equis claims.
Speaker 2: And I can also see that people are mobilizing like there's no good out for tomorrow. They've unleashed some sort of monster by bringing this through. People are furious.
Speaker 18: I'm absolutely furious because you think of Okay, here's an example of victim support workers. So as soon as the police find somebody who's died, like via homicide or suicide, they go to a victim support workers there acute support for the first few weeks after something like that, before they go through into NGOs for counseling support. So if your loved one dies by suicide, you see a victim support worker as the first person to hold you post that event, and they get paid twenty nine dollars ten an hour.
Speaker 2: Okay, And you know, Giselle, can I just come right back because and I'm probably guilty of this. When we hear about pay equity, most of us probably don't understand what it even talks about. But it's professions. We're sixty to seventy percent of the profession are women. That's correct, isn't it?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 18: And so it's like, well, that's women's work, so it's natural that you'd be doing that. There's no skill involved, which we could say the same about builders, and if we want to go that way, like oh, plumbing, No, that dirty work, that's men's work. There's no skill involved. And the amount of training that support workers have to earn twenty nine dollars ten an hour is equal to what a plumber earned, I mean as trained in.
Speaker 2: I think the most extraordinary thing is that lux And has come out and that said could save billions for the government. I mean, when has something that's supposed to address fairness and to wipe that saying it's going to save billions? Where is that a smart thing to say?
Speaker 18: Is a quality ever about money?
Speaker 2: It's pretty crazy.
Speaker 18: It's and it's it's intense people, and I'm going to I'm going to protest and I haven't protested. You know, I'm fifty two and I'm no longer even in that industry.
Speaker 2: I'm just well, I see this. They're protesting outside Van Velden's office tomorrow and Saint John's. There's all sorts of things that plan for tomorrow from a quick look at. So are you in Auckland, Yeah, I'm in Auckland.
Speaker 18: I just think it's so sexist that that women's what's considered women's work. It's it isn't It isn't considered equal to men's work because it's in caregiving. So what if it's in caregiving, plumbing, building, that's men's work. What Oh, I've seen blokes left bricks. It's easy work. Why do they need to get paid sixty backs an hour?
Speaker 2: Although or I shouldn't do it all though, I would presume that most of the a lot of the jobs are working for government organizations, are they or for there's civil servid jobs, and they'd be right.
Speaker 18: Yeah, the NNGO is working in rest homes, working in for NGOs, so not for profit, so social support as opposed to industries that create money, it's industries that cost money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, you know, yeah, you mean, have you been contacted for a protestomer have you found that there is one?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 18: I haven't looked for sexual assault crisis counsel now, so I've been out on work, so I've moved understand, you know, I've moved beyond. But now I'll find out and go to it. It's important, like something's really fighting for and I just think that these people at twenty nine dollars is just a dreadful wage for that, for the amount of risks that you hold for other loved ones post traumatic events. I just think it's shocking.
Speaker 2: Marcus Seemer's report of said brookers saved the budget by canceling pay Equity Act. That's from Mary. Thank you for that. When you say that, Marcus. We can use an app called Google Family Link. We use an app called We See What Become deeply promise it can't be happening soon this month, isn't it? Goodness graces? We use an app called Google Family Lip. You can track your kids one of the apps they use. Limit the time spent on app, set time limits on apps, turn on off the devices. Parents, gigivers need to set the rules. Until my kids can afford to pay their own devices. I'm in charge. Is that all becomes negotiation? Doesn't it? Just ban them? Every parent's going to be delighted. Ban social media. They have it when they're sixteen. They make more sense. Tho I spent the last four years watching silly videos. Get back to watching TV or reading. We'll having new pope tomorrow with a bit of luck. I refuse to get obsessed about the pope because there are a lot of pope raggers about the information. But why is the different paper different colors? Dan not different chemicals? But originally think it'd be just from the paper, wouldn't you. They've always had chemicals. I haven't watched that conclave. I haven't watched the movie. Don't get to the movie as much because I work at nights. You feel lazy going in the daytime. And if ever the kids want to go to the movies, they're dread things like Minecraft or that dog animated one that was looked terrible. And I think probably the kids at the stage where they probably go to the movies with their mates. Yeah, hi, Marcus, I am a key with living in Aussie. I got one of those emails too, Thank you for that, Pam. No, I won't watch the Mission impossible. The only thing that will get me back to the movies would be Wicked, the second half that comes out in November next year. I will be there opening day and that's what I can't wait to see. That's what's got me going back to the movies. Because no one mourns the Wicked. No one mourns the Wicked in fact, I was even looking us even I even went through the whole met Gala photos to seem my mates. I can't even remember their names now, the slight one and the other one that's sung in the movie Tremendous. Could don't know why they weren't there. Got no idea why they weren't there. Yef Goldland was there, but I think you would have asked them both, wouldn't you, both Arianna and Cynthia. But no no sign of them anyway.
Speaker 6: Terry, Hello, Yeah, I'm just before I talk about the movie. This social media thing, how are you going to get parents to parents exactly the same way for their under sixteens or under eighteens. I guess, you know, not every parent's going to sort of agree with that, but anyway.
Speaker 2: It's a good point, but I think it would be Yeah. I think you'd have to have some steps and balances to get a Facebook membership and that you know, and you would have to go and pretend you're in another country or go through some deception to sign on with an element of illegality. So I guess if your parents agree with that, then that's them. I suppose there will always be those parents that want to beat the system went there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well I don't. I wouldn't envy being a parent in this day and age.
Speaker 2: No, actually, yeah, well yeah, I'm trying to think. I imagine the hard thing is encouraging what career to go for, what careers are going to be around in twenty years time. I think it's the real challenge.
Speaker 6: But anyway, yeah, yeah, I just I just quickly rang about movies. I haven't been to the movie theater since before COVID, and I just the only one I want I should have seen when it came out and gone to was Top Gun Maverick because a lady I worked with saw and said it was a movie that she would go and see again straight away.
Speaker 2: Well, I had seen that. I had seen that. It was I don't love Tom Cruise. That's the trouble with the Top Gun for me. I don't want them.
Speaker 17: There's nothing wrong with the so neither just scary. She doesn't he's too short to play Jack Rachel exactly better.
Speaker 2: And he took that woman for a spin, that lovely Katie Harder. Know there's something here. Look, I'm allergic to Tom Cruise. That would be my trouble.
Speaker 13: Oh, that's no good.
Speaker 6: He's one of the great. He's one of the great actors of his generation.
Speaker 2: And no, I don't think. I don't think.
Speaker 6: Didn't you see Collateral with him and Jamie.
Speaker 2: Brilliant that I did like that. I did see that because filmed on a filmed on video, one of the first movies at film and video. I really like Collateral, right, Okay, yeah, okay, that's a good point. Terry. You've caught me out there. I remember. Yeah, you're right, he cann act. Well. Thank you.
Speaker 1: For more from Marcus Slash Nights, Listen live to news talks there'd be from eight pm weekdays, or follow the podcast on iHeart Radio out