Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from News talksb stand Um, your brother, your bra.
Speaker 2: She's my sister, don't you.
Speaker 3: Will beleeve?
Speaker 4: Yes, welcome back. This is the Weekend Collective. That dismal piece of music was chosen by my next guest, whichween say that with the uh. I'd say that with my tongue slightly in my cheek. Anyway, this is the Weekend Collective and as you know, I like to let our guests choose a bit of our music, and which accounted for all the country music we had in the panel with Jenny Vernon and Paul Spoonley. And by the way, if you've missed any of our previous hours, we get them up online pretty quickly. Son, go and check them out on the News TALKSBI website or on iHeartRadio button. Right now, this is the parent Squad and we would have a chat about Okay, well you will have if you follow the news vaguely. You can't have missed the tragedy around the run It Straight game where a young man or On Sattathwait died after playing it in his backyard. And look, we're not going to dwell on that, but as we know, when you're a kid, you do things that maybe if you thought about it a couple of times, you wouldn't or if you thought a bit more about the consequences. And the question is, so, no matter how hard parents try, kids are always going to do unwise or dumb things. Is it possible to mitigate that risk? Is it something where parents can have a voice in stopping their kids or giving them that little voice in their head that goes, hang on, tim, do you really think you should do that? And how do you do that if you're a parent, But also if you're listening, what was the dumbest thing you ever did in your youth that you thought, you know what, I should have listened to my mum or my dad and I wouldn't have got myself in so much trouble. But I didn't, and I went ahead and did it anyway. And there we go. That's I'm luckily I'm still around to tell the tale, but to discuss that and other things. He is principal psychologist at Umbrella Well Being and as we know, has terrible taste of music. And his name is sorry, no, I'm just kidding. It's actually not a bad song. Google, It's just a way of just a way of loosening up for the show. How are you.
Speaker 2: Good, mate, I'm very good. I was just enjoying that lovely piece of music and the.
Speaker 4: House Martins, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It is? Yeah, yeah, from way back in the day, back in the mid eighties.
Speaker 4: I think, I'm sure that's been covered a few times by different bands. I was thinking, I know that tune, but maybe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not their original. They covered it off somebody else from the sixties and seventies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was just big because they were all singing a cappella and it was like, oh my gosh, who's ever sung that before? This is nineteen eighty four, So yeah, no.
Speaker 4: Need to apologize for a terrible taste of music.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 4: Hey. By the way, hey, this is completely trivial before we get into the If you ever want to have a bit of a laugh, there's a website called the Pudding dot com okay, and you can give it access temporarily to your Spotify and or your Apple Music or whatever, and it goes in and it looks at everything you're playing, and it basically just pulls you apart on your musical days I do it every now and again just to tell me how transic I am.
Speaker 2: Oh, that sounds that. That sounds like it sounds like something I'd have to have a bit of courage to do, because because I find myself getting very defensive over my music, I think.
Speaker 4: Oh, oh my god, I've really taken it backwards today. No, you have no.
Speaker 2: I think it was when I was When I was growing up in the eighties, there was a lot of militancy I think around music. You were you know, you were into this music, and if you were into this music, you couldn't be into that music.
Speaker 4: And a lot of it was political. It was tribal, it wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it very much was. I can remember, you know, a lot of my kids at school, the kids at high school were into you know, sort of Bond Jovi and def Leppard and all those terrible hair metal bands, and then it was like, no, there's no way on listening to that, And it was it was very very tribal. And I think I've sort of grown up with that sort of sense of having to defend my honor or about about my musical choices. But I'm loosening up. I'm loosening, are you. I'm not sure, well a little bit. You should have seen me back in the day, really, were you?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, something to be a punk.
Speaker 2: I was too too young to be a punk, but more in that sort of new wave, you know, kind of the Smiths and very independent music and very this is amazing and we you know, give the big finger to the main stream and that kind of stuff. So it was that punk ethos but but but not not quite punk itself. But yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: You tell that with your parents to go dound to dinner, to the neighbors or something. Were you the child that your parents were like, oh, for goodness, please, dog, look, can you not wear that shirt?
Speaker 2: Look? I did turn into that, but later on one time it was actually one of the first times I meet my parents in law. I just had my hair cut really short and dyed bright orange, and possibly in retrospect, wasn't the best move, but there you go. I was only twenty or twenty two or something.
Speaker 4: Well, these the people who became your parents in law.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay, yeah, yeah, it was obviously got through that test, I'm assuming, Well, yeah, no, I got through the test. I got you know, it came out the other side. We've been happily married for almost thirty years. So yeah, thirty years. Next year.
Speaker 4: You got married when you were about eighteen. You look a young chap, look at you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not quite early twenties. Twenty twenty three.
Speaker 4: I think twenty three were very bad to be given you twenty three plus quick arithmetic.
Speaker 2: Everybody knows that I was and that I was born young enough to be in the Dunedin long and in Judinal study, right, so everybody can figure that out. Remember we talked about.
Speaker 4: This, Yes, I love that that you're actually part of that study. Now, by the way, before we get into it, people are going, what's Google talking about? The dned and Longitudinal Study is a study where that which is very forward thinking because the people who see the benefits of the study, many of them probably wouldn't have lived to it the scientists who set it up. But it was basically tracking a whole lot of outcomes in about a thousand children's lives who are born at a certain time. You know what's happened in their lives, what's their health, what's their diet and all those sort of things, and where they are amazing isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's one of the longest, not only one of the longest running studies in the world, but also one of the studies that's kept something like ninety percent of its original participants, which is one of its major achievements. So yeah, we got followed up every two or three years and we're still being followed up. I went back last year, although now they're calling it the aging study, not the developmental.
Speaker 4: Just like god that there's not something you needed to be told, is it? Ah, that's brutal.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 4: The Aging Study, high doogle?
Speaker 2: I know it's like, oh, is that where I've got to in life? But I just got to own it. I am getting older and that's okay.
Speaker 4: Good on you. Okay, what's the dumbest thing you did as a kid and could your parents have stopped it?
Speaker 2: I was thinking about that. The dumbest thing I can remember that springs to mind. There was a group of us. We were wandering around Dunedin's streets and we wanted to get from one place to another. Rather than go over the hill, we went through a train tunnel and the train tunnel was alive. You know, there were trains going through the tunnel, and so we just bowled through, and that we were having all these debates about, oh, if you get stuck in a train tunnel, you've got to push yourself against the wall because the train sucks you under. Oh, freaking each other out. Could my appearance have stopped me? But probably not. But you know, I could feel inside, I could feel that horrible sort of sense of this is not right, this is not right, this is not right. I did it anyway, I didn't. I didn't love it, I must say, but it was pretty freaky.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Because I'm wondering if the reason we put this in for a discussion is because well, obviously we've seen the tragic events that told and I actually I would rather we launched off another news story, but it is in the media about people doing unwise things, because it just, you know, I just have nothing, but you know, deepest sympathies to the family, satisfay, and so let's push that to one side, because I can think of dumb things I did where in fact that I'll be honest, the dumbest thing I did was, you know, I was on an age of my traveling for a sports tournament. I think when I was seventeen, and my parents let me have the car and I just with and I was driving friends and I just drove way too fast and I look at a particular corner I went round, and if there'd been a truck coming the other way, we wouldn't be here because I'd underestimated it. I wasn't following the law properly, and I was lucky to get away with it. And that's the stuff that I think terrifies. Yes, cars, I mean they are death machines if you do if you make the wrong decision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely. I think there's so many things, and it's that teenage years, isn't it too, The chasing of the adrenaline, the wanting to do something that's crazy, and the importance of your friends. I think too, that's that sense of really strong peer pressure in your teenage years. I mean that was my example when I talked about my example of going through the train tunnel. Everybody else was going to do it, so I could not do it. So yeah, very much that sense of peer pressure. Felt super uncomfortable about it, and that could have ended up quite tragically. For there was about half a dozen of us said I think there, so yeah, it's it's it's a it's a really tricky time. I think.
Speaker 4: I think, well, actually, I think through our initial discussion, there is a different way to frame that question. I mean, it's it's an easy one to say, how do you stop your kids doing dumb stuff? But I think the bigger question is possibly because I don't think kids do necessarily, I don't think they genuinely do generally do dumb things in isolation, I think is the question better framed is how do you compete with the influence of your children's peers?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Nice, Yeah, I agree. I think it's partly how do you overcome that and also how do you get them to listen to that their conscience for one of a better term insight, because I knew when I was walking through that train tunnel that wasn't the right thing to do, but I wasn't brave enough to be honest, I wasn't to be able to stand up and say, oh, this is stupid, guys, I'm not going to do it. So, yeah, competing with the peer influence, listening, listening to that wise in a voice that we all have at some point, and raising kids so that they can actually stand up to that and say no, this doesn't feel right to me, I'm not going to do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I think. I mean, I guess it is about how you help your kids.
Speaker 2: I mean it.
Speaker 4: Always comes back to this as well. It's not what you do right then when they're confronted with a peer group that are a little challenging, I guess it's how do you Is it about giving them the confidence that they don't need the affirmation of that peer group all the time of now, I mean, how do you do or that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I think so. I think it's that sense of self confidence or being comfortable, being able to stand up and say, hey, look that I don't feel okay about that. But that is a huge thing for a teenager to do when a teenager is typically searching for, you know, for friendship and recognition and belonging and gosh, if I say this, I might you know, I might be thrown out of the group.
Speaker 4: And that it's that age where it is part of their evolution as human beings that there's a natural pulling away from their parents.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, one hundred percent absolutely, And the seeking of adrenaline and thrills and not being very good at forecasting long term consequences either because your brain is still developing, so it's really battling against a whole lot of things. I don't think it's impossible, but I think it is hard.
Speaker 4: Look, we love your calls on this. I mean, look, if you wanted to share with us a story, I think sometimes if there's nothing better than sometimes hearing about bad mistakes of others, because in fact, is that one of the is that one of the sort of approaches to take is that to share with your kids the bad mistakes you've made, or stories stories of whoa I mean, I keep on thinking of, you know, going back far enough. The brother's grim fairy tales were written, I think one to freak people out just for entertainment, but I think as well, they all had a message about stranger danger or don't do this, or the boy who cried wolf and because he actually doesn't get to that kid despite what Disney does with it, that kid gets eaten by the wolf.
Speaker 2: They're not that they are grim those I was listening to a podcast about it, and their explanation was that they were collecting those tales to establish sort of some element of what is common law and our society, what's the common understanding? And the tales were were we're folklore about representing those sort of basic fundamental principles of law and society before it was written down, which was quite an interesting take on it.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I know we've digressed a bit. But if you won't want to google the original Brothers Grimm's fairy tale, brace yourself because it's you know, I mean, it makes Tarantino a lot pretty harmless, doesn't it?
Speaker 2: Even Hansel and Gretel. You know, it's like, jeez, leuis what the heck were they doing? Oh? He was being kept in a cage so he could be cooked in an oven. What are we telling our kids? No?
Speaker 4: And then they tempt the witch into the oven, I think, and they shut the door and she gets she gets cooked.
Speaker 2: Anyway, And sleep tight, darling, because I won't have any bad dreams now.
Speaker 4: It's actually gosh, there's so many questions that are coming out of this. But how, I mean, how do you get your kids to just have that little voice that does make them think twice? There's a joke that exists in our family now. There's a family friend of my wife's family, and the running gag is because when I get together, we sometimes have a have a you know, in the evening, we have a chat, we have a whiskey or something, and because the conversation always flows, I'm maybe have another whiskey and then another one. And I jokingly have nicknamed him as Bad Goofy because you might remember that the Disney there was Good Goofy and Bad Goofy, and Goofy would have come up, Goofy would have that moment where something would happen. There'd be Good Goofy on his shoulder, going, oh, Goofy, don't do this, because this is what will happen if you do this, and everyone will be angry with you and you'd be a good person. Then Bad Goofy was going, come on, give it a go.
Speaker 2: It's that attraction and the teenage years, isn't it to doing that kind of the band stuff, the stuff that your parents say no, don't do, I think you can be two. Parents can be too strict, and that actually push kids into doing more antisocial stuff. If they're really, really, really staunched with the rules, you can get the whole reverse effect by pushing kids much closer towards that. So it's a real going back to brother's grim, it's a real goldily locked sort of area. Not be too soft and not be too hard.
Speaker 4: Well, I think that ties into I mean, there's so many themes that ties into, doesn't it. But I would have thought that, actually, that's that's one of the big ones. In fact, if you are one of those parents who are becoming more and more authoritative, you are pushing your children into a situation where they are going to be yep, that mum and dad can get stuffed. I'm doing this one to assert my independence. Yeah two, but I'm not thinking of the consequences because it's all about you, mum and dad, and I'm going to make my own decision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, yep, yep, one hundred percent. And at the other end, if your two lacks, if your kids are roaming around the streets at whatever are and you don't care, it's like, well, no, gee, surprise, surprise, they've gotten into trouble. So, you know, parenting teens are such a delicate balancing act, I think, and nobody gets it right. And you know, as we mentioned earlier, battling against a whole lot of natural kind of developmental things as well. So it's super hard, super hard.
Speaker 4: We want your cause on this eight hundred and eight text nine two nine time. We've got one text here just before we go to the break about how do you stop your kids making Okay, I'm not going to put it in a trivialized way, how do you stop your kids doing really dangerous stuff that can really either affect their lives in the ultimate Neggard way that they lose theirs or that they end up making a bad decision that affects them for the rest of their lives. Because they've got a text here that says we were obviously taught not to drunk, a drive drunk or tired, et cetera. But one year our school brought home brought in a woman in her mid twenties who'd been a successful businesswoman before falling asleep at the wheel and is now severely disabled. She spoke to us about her life before and her life now, and showed us photos of her in hospital in the crash, and we were all very responsible drivers after that. They I mean, as are those actually those are real life stories? Yeah? Do they resonate?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: I think they might.
Speaker 2: I think it depends who's telling them, So that might have been a really nice example of somebody who's just that slight bit older who would be seen as a role model by teenagers, whereas if it was their parents, they're unlikely to buy into that. So I think getting the right and that can that might be really useful. Thing is is your team as you a young person, do they have some friends who are slightly older who are just that slight bit more responsible? And that might be from a community group or a sports club or a church group or something like that, But just that is there somebody that they will listen to because they're not going to listen to you as parents?
Speaker 4: Probably right? We love your cause on this. Also, what was the dumbest thing you ever did? And do you? I mean? Is it? Is it a case of trying to pass your lessons on to your kids by saying, look I tried this and this is what happened and hopefully it sinks that way. I eight hundred eighty ten eighty text nine to my guest is Google Sutherland from Umbrella Well Being and we'll be back in just a moment. News Talk they'd be yes, News Talk said be that's the parents squad with Google Southerland talking about how do you stop kids doing dumb things I eight hundred eighty ten eight or sharing your story about the dumb thing you did and what might have changed it for you and yeah, let's take your cause. Dean Hello.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it just strikes me as a little bit crazy that people don't let their kids grow up with them and learn from the sort of silly things that you do do in your life. They sort of tend to try and I don't hide it.
Speaker 4: Do you mean parents who don't like to admit the stupid things that yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, and they don't actually have their kids around them. A lot a lot of people actually ship them out too much. You know, our kids have always wanted to come home and pull whatever whatever it is, you know, on the weekends and that sort of thing. They were all grown up now, but yeah, they know it was stupid thing or even done in my life. I mean, you know, you sort of hope that the hope that they can bloody loan that way. I think people, I think.
Speaker 4: There's something to that because there are some parents who like to maintain their authoritarian sort of figure in a way, then they don't like to admit that they were kids and they did dumb stuff as well. What do you reckon doogle?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I agree, I think especially you know Deane, your point about them just growing up with you, just so that it's not a it's not something weird. It's just they see you and all your your warts and all really and and and hopefully that does rub up rub off on them in some ways. They can see that you're not perfect.
Speaker 5: You also do a little bit. You're sort of want your kids to do a little bit better than you do crap. I just mean, you know, you hope you can at least prove on bloodies blood and too many people don't bother ye.
Speaker 2: You're trying to leave your kids a little bit better than you were, and then hopefully their kids will be a little bit better than they were.
Speaker 4: Of course, I think Dean, what happens is is if they find out that, oh, hey, Dad, you did this and you haven't shared that with them, it robs you of the chance to say, guess what what you're trying to do now? I did it when I was young and it played out really badly for me, and I don't want you to because if they find out through other means, you've robbed yourself of that opportunity, haven't you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, well yeah, yeah, yeah, it's quite It's an easy way to get your kids to talk anyway. I mean a lot of people don't. Yeah, And we've always said because of it's a massive accidence in my life. And these kids have seen the reason, the results of them, and so on and so on and so on, and I mean, yeah.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 4: That's good stuff, Dean, thanks for sharing that with us. Yeah, Google, Yeah, no, I agree.
Speaker 2: I think it's that, yeah, that they can see that you've and they've seen the consequences, especially young, especially when they're young. Maybe as a teen it might be a different thing, but especially when they're young, if they see that those things have happened, they can understand a bit more of the consequences. I think great opportunities for kids to learn.
Speaker 4: Let's go to Irene. Hello.
Speaker 6: Yes, So I was just rung to say. When I was young, and very young, my brother was about five or six and I was about seven, and we played with these We used to play cowboys and Indians and we had this lino and the dad had us in the shed and we had a sheath knife and we were trying to stab the one er hied in it, and the other one was try stabbing their stabbing to see if we could catch the air. Oh my god, and we're only young and I and for eighty years I have thought of that and wondered how stupid we were and how stupidly innocent we were doing it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well you're alive to tell the tale. Iran Thinker. Oh my goodness. Actually, the old bow and arrow when we were kids growing up, I mean it's amazed. I mean we were we actually had bows and arrows, which had you could, you know, I don't know if we I don't know if my brother tried to use me as target price or not. I'm not sure. I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I remember, you'd remember when things like pohas and tom thumbs and all those sort of things were and you just throw them at each other, And it was like.
Speaker 4: I don't think we'd do that. Actually, that was one of the ones where the school back in the days of double happies and tom thumbs and thunderbolts, which were really yeah expensively, you wouldn't want to throw too many of those around. But no, we had photos, color photos shown to us at school of people with eyes blown out. Yeah, yeah, I remember something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was like the fireworks lady or something like that, and she came round and talked about fireworks going off in somebody's pocket and setting their whole trousers on fire.
Speaker 4: That makes me nervous, terrible. Well, actually, this is Here's the thing. There is something in I mean, is there something in I don't know what the language how I should describe this, but in traumatic examples where people might go all that's because these days everything carries a warning like or you know, this may contain scenes that were upsetting to some of you, as I wonder if we're overplaying that stuff.
Speaker 2: Look, I was thinking too more about the role of influencers. Actually social media influencers. They're the people that you know, young people are looking at and what are they saying about this sort of stuff. I think you can get two graphics sometimes that you actually put people off and they don't look at it or they just get freaked out. But I think the role of influencers is huge, and there's always been influencers. Let's not pretend it's a new social media thing. You know, in my day, before social influencers, there were still people that influenced me socially. So I think they've got a big role to play as well, because they're just that little bit older and you look up to them and you want to be like them. And that's that's harticles, because you can't control who those are. Necessarily.
Speaker 4: Just before we go to our next caller, this is just a text to share someone's the dumbest thing. Dumbest thing I did was when I was about seventeen, A group of us wanted to get from Cook's Beach to Fitty Younger, but we missed the last fairy, so we borrowed Mark have Friends dinghy and an outdoor motor from a outboard motor from a shed close by, and eight of us went over to and back much later. Doesn't sound dangerous, but it was the time of the Alaskan earthquake and the tides were way high and running very fast. The water was about two inches below two inches below the top of the boat, no life jackets, and I was sure we were all going down, going to drown. Crazy crazy thing to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, those teenage years, aren't it. That's just your go. If only we could just put the kids away until they were twenty five. But we can't. We can't, we can't. And that's and that's the reality of it is, you know, kind of going back to Dean's point, who have you got in your life? Who are the kids looking at? Who are their role models? Who are they seeing and what are they learning from those? And I think just that's so crucial just to put in the hard yards during those pre teen years, because that'll pay off, well, hope as much as it can in the teenage years.
Speaker 4: Right, let's take some more calls. Pete god A, it's peedy, how are you good things?
Speaker 7: I'll tell you a true story and I don't believe it. It's definitely a true story. I have got an arrows from me nose. What we're what we're doing is on the farm in the winter time, and the were neighbors and the farmers was the dry period of the cows and putting. His dad was putting these tournament tournament spacely swee the space on the tray and me and Ivan we were shooting, had the barren arrow, and he thought, rather than wasting a lot of time firing the arrow and retrieving it, so we thought, oh, what we'll do is we'll save that time. Is you go one end of the paddic, I'll go on the other end, and we'll shoot it to each other, not deliverately, trying to aim at each other, but a little bit. What we thought we're doing is doing it at probably half a dozen times is working out well, and then we probably be two or three minutes away from each other, you know. They picked it up and should each other again. And then the son got in my eye and he's young hand and I can't bear the son got in my eye and I went through my outside of me nose. He went to the middle section, you know, and I just sat there and then was the lucky lucky it was? It was a target area hit. We had one hunting are. If I lost that ord lost me nose or probably would have been dead. So what was what was on the So he yelled out to his daddy's putting the tournaim the sweee on the trailer on his portray of the tractor. So cut along through it shortly and all the way back on the back of the farm, all the way to the house, and he rung up the doctor and he was over the doll up phones and and rang up Well, we ain't got one thing to do. You come down and put them inside the car, which is pretty hard, and you got the air and you.
Speaker 4: Well you didn't try to You didn't play that game again, did you, Pete.
Speaker 7: So so what happened was the coming back on the going back all the way to the back to the back of the farm to their house and bring up the doctor and he said, you're not fighting arrows to each other anymore, are you.
Speaker 4: All?
Speaker 7: The doctor said, just just slide there, just standing them up. He called it in tell them to lay down or laid down for probably about twenty minutes, and they just stroyed up and got up and walked away.
Speaker 4: Well, I think you're pretty lucky, Pete. But thank you for that lovely story. They'll probably have a few people wincing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's terrible.
Speaker 4: Actually, thanks for you. I appreciate the call. You know, somebody's just texted the obvious questions about the boy racer behavior. So we see that stuff, and I would suggest that, well, I think there's probably a lot of kids who you're around town, you think that's going to be doing this. You go along because you're curious, and you get the ones who are bit closely involved. But then you get somebody gets the legs run over or hit by a car. Any take on the psychology or what.
Speaker 2: We can do about that, Well, you know, there's a lot of and I'm not think we need to think about the age of those of boy racers too. I think I think they're older them, you know, I think, yeah, some of them at least will be teens. But there is that whole you know, let's flock to it because it's exciting, it's interesting, and everybody else is do I think it's a nice counter example of who have you gotten your kids? Who is in your kid's life, who are they looking up to? And if they're looking up to other sort of twenty three twenty four year old boy racers, then not surprising that they might become you know, influenced by that.
Speaker 4: Well what can you do about that?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 4: Okay, they're drifting into a crowd. You think this is I mean, there'll be stories about people who shifted towns. Well, okay, we're just going to have to move, We're going to shift schools, whatever, neighborhoods.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's tough because of course, if you immediately say to them, don't hang around with them, then of course that's a bit like a red rag to a ball, and of course they'll hang around with them. There there's look at I don't know what to do in the exact moment. I think, you know, there's a lot of work to do beforehand around who are they hanging out with, who are they being involved with, what are they doing with their spare time, and maybe also an opportunity for parents to look at them at their own behaviors as well. I don't have you know this is who knows. But if parents are are inadvertently reinforcing or giving the thumbs up to that behavior as well, who knows what's going on. But I think you've just got to be really careful around who's around you or who's around the kids, and who they're hanging out with.
Speaker 4: We're going to take a quick break back into the ticket. It's twenty one minutes two six news talks that we don't forget the sports. Yes, welcome back to the Weekend Collective on tim Bevers. My guest is doctor Dougal Sutherland. He's principal psychologist today Umbrella well Being. By the way, if you want to check out the Umbrella Wellbeing and get in touch umbrella dot org dot NZ. I mean you get there eventually if you just type an umbrella well being. But if you type an umbrella you possibly will get what the French called a parapluy, which is the umbrellas full rain.
Speaker 2: You get, you get blunt umbrellas. I think was the first thing you think, So yes, sorry, I was thinking about the boy racer things, and you know, that was just one before the break, and I remember one somebody and I thought it was quite wise. They're interviewing some boy racers who were saying, hey, look, we just want sort of the adrenaline of the fast cars. And what somebody had done, a community had done, is they said, okay, look, we accept that you really like this, but let's give you some guardrails. So let's give you a safe place to do this, with some broad adult supervision. So I think they set them up on a race track or something with some with some oversight, and I wonder if that's part of it too, is saying hey, look, we accept that you want to take some level of risk, but let's put some guard rails around you so that it doesn't end up in a tragic situation. So that that's I was just thinking about that something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're right, I think that, and then you find out that there are some who actually that's enough for and there are some for whom the illegal give it and giving it to the cops. Element is that is the main appeal, and you still get those other sides of it, and that's when.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but you're probably you know, sort of the sheep from the goats. They're a little bit of think.
Speaker 4: Hey, are girls or boys worse at thinking ahead and thinking, hey, maybe don't do that.
Speaker 2: Boys tend to be worse at it. They tend to be more Yeah, they tend And part of that, and this is a huge generalization, but the prefront or cortex, that bit of the brain that gives you that self control is slower to develop in boys than girls. And I think we often see that. You just see that. You know, everybody says old girls develop faster, you know, they're mature, quicker, and they that's there's some truth in that. So so boys do tend to be a little bit slower in that department. I think too. There's some people are just into thrill seeking a lot more than other people. There's you know, there's a thrill seeking type of personality and they love it and and that was never one of mine. But yeah, some people are just into taking risks and enjoy the thrills a lot more than other people.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of these conversations we have DOO will also come back to as also reminding parents just to take time to talk to their kids. Yes, because I think you know that they're busy on devices and they you know, they get busier and busy, and I think we have a generation of kids who extracurricularly speaking, I would guess all my kids certainly are busier than I was. I focused on one sport and flogged it to death. Yeah, okay, a bit of music as well, but I mean my kids do ballet, you know, netball, choir, music, blah blah blah. It's like, oh, just trying to find a quiet moment. Yeah, yep, yep. It is busier and live.
Speaker 2: I definitely agree, you know that. I think I think there's just more options, which there's nothing wrong with that, but it was certainly and there's also something good about kids getting bored and just figuring out stuff to do, although obviously that can go awry.
Speaker 4: That's sometimes the where these dumb ideas. Hey, let's try and shoot arrows at each other and catch it with their hands.
Speaker 2: Gosh, when Pete was talking, I remember that how I broke both my arms on a farm bike when I was thirteen.
Speaker 4: Oh well, okay, I think as a salutary lesson, you should share that to us before we wrap up.
Speaker 2: We were just I was on the back of a quad bike and I was leaning back on both my arms, and we were shooting down the paddock, counting haybales. I can't remember why we thought that was a good idea, and we hit a ditch. It wasn't a huge ditch, and my arms basically acted as shock absorbers when and so I came out and both my arms were well, yeah, and it was I blacked out for five minutes or so, I think due to the pain. And then, of course I was fourteen with two casts, and I couldn't shower myself or doing anything else like that, which is exactly kind of the wrong developmental age. So I had to be showered by my parents and toileted by my parents. For a good success.
Speaker 4: There's hopefully someone's listening. They'll be thinking, oh, there's a one way to write a by one time for one more quick call.
Speaker 3: Jeff, Hello, bog Yeah, get mate. You know these boy racers are really you know, I lock what's happening. You know, we just didn't do so many stupid things. You know, these young guys think going out there and do burnouts and this and that and causing trouble. And there's one hundred police that went into love And I used to live in Levan for seventeen years and it just turned into a terrible town. So we cannot let these guys run a town. They're not they're not kids anymore.
Speaker 4: Well, I think in that case, you're right, Jeff. You I mean, I think that's people. That's why people are seeking constant just for that sort of behavior. I mean, are we have we got light on consequences with our kids as well? Do you think Google? Sound like I'm not my generator an excer, But you know, I.
Speaker 2: Was just thinking back about the stories from Pete Irene and Dean about the crazy things that they did when they were when they were younger, and that they sounded like a generation older than me. I don't know. I think I think there are no I think I think we've been we've generally got a safer society. That would be my impression. But maybe that means that people don't learn so much. But we don't want to people. We don't want to have to use sort of terrible consequences for people to learn from. So it's a delicate balancing act, but I think, yeah, I think there is. We do need to be thinking about people's safety.
Speaker 4: Hey Doogle. Always great to talk to you, mate, Really appreciate your time today. And if people want to go and check out your work or get in touch, it's umbrella dot org dot that's the one. Excellent. Hey, thanks so much for your time.
Speaker 2: Thanks mate, appreciated talk.
Speaker 4: Cheers, Bye bye. We'll be back with Christopher Reeve. I keep on referring to MS Superman because those who are old enough to remember the original Superman Christopher Reeve spelt slightly differently. But he'll be with us on a second to rap Sport. This is News Talk said B. It's eleven minutes to six.
Speaker 1: For more from the weekend collective, listen live to News Talk Said B weekends from three pm, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.