Speaker 1: Kiyota.
Speaker 2: I'm Chelsea Daniels and This is the Front Page, a daily podcast presented by The New Zealand Herald. A new report has suggested that the country's biggest city is going backwards. The second annual State of the City report, which compares Auckland's progress against nine major cities around the globe, has shown that things are on the backwards trend. While outside factors like the Anniversary weekend, floods, inflation and post COVID recovery contribute it to the worse than expected outcomes, the report highlights a number of longer term problem areas that the city really needs to address today. On the Front Page, ends At Herald's senior writer Simon Wilson joins us to analyze the state of Auckland and how the city can improved. Simon, what's the purpose of this State of the City report and how long has it been running?
Speaker 3: The report was set up last year and the first one came out in the middle of last year. It's the work of a group called the Committee for Auckland, which is civic leaders in the private and public sector, as well as the Council Agency Tatuki. Auckland Unlimited, as well as KOI TI, which is a think tank associated with Auckland University and the Council itself, So it's kind of kind of high powered pedigree, if you like. And the idea is to benchmark Auckland against nine other comparable cities places like Helsinki and Copenhagen in Scandinavia, Brisbane in Australia, Austin in Texas America, places like that, to see how well we're doing across a range of measures.
Speaker 2: And how did they pick those specific cities.
Speaker 3: Those cities are similar in size to Auckland and are generally cities that are quite highly regarded internationally as Auckland does, and have a similar ambition, if you like. They want to be cities that are working well in the modern world. They want to be connected through technology. They want to offer opportunities for entrepreneurs and everybody else to come and live and work and play. They want the same things that we want. So therefore they are our key competitors because they are the cities that are also saying to all those entrepreneurs and all those people of talent and everybody else, don't go to Auckland, come to Brisbane. Or come to Helsinki or wherever.
Speaker 2: What exactly does the report measure?
Speaker 3: The report measures a whole lot of different things, ranging from prosperity through the quality of the cultural experience through its sustainability, a whole lot of stuff about lifestyle, what it's like to live in the place, So that's everything from you know, when you want to get out in the weekend, is the something to do and of course in Auckland there's an awful lot to do, through to what's the transport like and how safe is it on the streets and those sorts of things as well the quality of education, the resilience of the city in relation to natural disasters and other three and the opportunities that people have, the economic, cultural, social opportunities that people have as well.
Speaker 4: The State of the City Report is a benchmarking tool that looks at how Auckland ranks against competitive cities around the world. The report can help us come together to forge a consensus on what our priorities for action should be. What the things are that are holding Auckland and by extension, New Zealand back.
Speaker 2: I guess the headline draw from this report seems to be that Auckland is slipping backwards compared to these other cities. Is that actually the case.
Speaker 3: That is the case in some key indicators. So they had ten key indicators, and we are getting worse in four of them. We're the same in three, and we're better in three, but in the four that we're getting worse in. That's the quality the experience of being in the city. It's connectedness, everything from how well we get around, but also broadband connectedness and generally how well connected to the rest of the world. In sustainability and especially in prosperity, we are falling.
Speaker 2: I can certainly see that from everyday life. And I mean I often see people like those massive tour buses in Auckland, you know, those double decker ones, and I often think to myself as I'm walking to work, what are they seeing?
Speaker 3: Yep, Well, those buses, those tour buses. They people have got off a cruise ship. They're on their way to rip Rure or possibly to somewhere up north to bare Of Islands for a day trip. They'll see something pretty good.
Speaker 2: You mean, they'll see the sky tower on the way past past.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So if you get off your cruise ship and get onto a bus and off you go. That's fine. But the larger question in terms of what this report's done is said, well, if we want people of talent and opportunity to come and live and work here, and if we want people to invest here, then how good is the offer that we're making. And this report says that from the middle of last year to the middle of this year it's got worse.
Speaker 2: So what are some of the main reasons for Auckland slipping or slowing compared to those other cities.
Speaker 3: House prices one of the key factors. House prices are high in many of the cities that we're compared against, but they're not as high or they haven't risen as far. And that's partly because New Zealand economy and the Auckland economy are so dependent on house prices continuing to rise. That's how we are structured. You know that there's a theory that Auckland is a housing market with an economy tacked on, and that is a problem for us in terms of attracting people to come here. So that's the key issue. We've got better at resilience, which is one of the interesting things because of the terrible floods and storms we had at the beginning of twenty twenty three. We scored low and resilience a year ago, but there have been a range of things, including how we mitigate against that and plans like the Council's plans for making space for water, things like that, which are making the city more resilient. So that's a good mark if you like. But there's still a lot more to do.
Speaker 2: And you mentioned transport as well. How are we doing in that department.
Speaker 3: Well, we're not doing well at all, and I think everyone would agree there. One of the underlying factors that is highlighted in the report is a disconnect between city planning and national planning, and Auckland's Mayor Wayne Brown says the same. I think government probably says the same, and the attempts to integrate the planning are fraught with difficulty because there are different priorities involved. But the cities that we're compared against, by and large have much stronger public transport, much stronger and safer cycling networks and walking networks, those sorts of things which take the pressure off the roads. They have often better freight on rail, which again takes pressure off the roads, and that's the key to improving Auckland's transport, but we're quite a long way from achieving it.
Speaker 6: We're at a three year low in terms of traffic performance, and that measures the satisfaction that commuters have. It measures the network efficiencies around Auckland. We have improved in terms of work life balance in Auckland and also we're back into the top thirty in the world in terms of student appeal. So look, there's some great news and things we should be proud of.
Speaker 2: Well, you know Auckland better than most people, I'd say, do you agree with this report's findings.
Speaker 3: I do. This is a great place to live if you have a decent job and you don't live too far away. Otherwise it starts to get problematic, and we've got to make it a greater place to live for a whole lot more people and simply that category if you like. One of the things that the report says that's interesting is that the objective measures are one thing, and that's what they've done, but they've also tried to assess perception and they've said that the perceptions of people from around the world looking at Auckland, if they've had something to do with it, here, they can be quite favorably impressed with it, But if they're just hearing about it, what the hearing is slipping that the city has more trouble, more problems than it deserves, if you like. And that's really because we've had a great deal of trouble positioning ourselves. You know, we like to say we're a high tech economy. We're actually not. We like to say that we're a place where it's torrific to bring up kids. Well that's clearly not true as well relative to other cities, and the things we like to say about ourselves kind of get in the way a bit of actually making progress in those areas. So there's a problem there. It is a good place, but it ought to be an exceptional place. It has everything going for it in terms of its location, it's climate, it's natural beauty, and stable democracy and relatively strong economy compared to many parts of the world. It ought to be a terrific place, and we're not making the most of it.
Speaker 2: Auckland Mayor Wayne Brown describes in the press release that came along with this report that Auckland is more of a city state than a local council, and it needs an Auckland deal in order to improve what's your response.
Speaker 3: To that, Well, the government says the same thing, but the Auckland deal will be made not made, particularly around transport. Wayne Brown is pushing for an Auckland integrated transport plan, but he's also made it clear that he doesn't share the government's priorities for where the main transport money should be spent. So how you get an Auckland deal in that way will be pretty problematic. In addition to that, while it's true that the New Zealand economy is largely dependent on exports from the rural sector, food and fiber, trees and meat and dairy in particular, we need to be able to grow our tech sector and we need to do that in agriculture as much as everywhere else in Auckland has potentially a much bigger role to play in doing that than it currently shoulders now So there is disconnect with the universities's disconnect with some of the specialist institutions, and they all need to be working much more closely with government, with Council, with the city, with money in the city to exploit their potential.
Speaker 5: Auckland is special nowhere in Australia or New Zealand as any council looking after a third of the Now I am the representative.
Speaker 3: Of a third of New zeal And.
Speaker 5: We're treated as if we're just a horror for neur council wherever that is. This is a driver of the country. If Aukland does well, the country does well. We are forty percent of the economy, we produce forty percent of the packs, and we don't get our share back well.
Speaker 2: Brown's tenure as mayor has been dictated largely by what the city has done wrong. I suppose do you think he's championing the positive sides of Auckland.
Speaker 3: One of the great issues for all cities is that they need champions. The champion is the cheerleader who gets out there into the world and says, look at the wonderful things we do in our city, and gets among the citizenry and inspires us all to play our little part to make the city better and bolder and more terrific to be in. Which means that you've got to find a way to say this is wrong and we're going to fix it. But you've also really got to find the way to make people feel good about things and do better and set those benchmarks high. Many New Zealand politicians find it easier to complain, and in my own view, our mayor when Brown, finds it far easier to complain than actually make things better.
Speaker 2: Well. The Harold also recently reported that Brown wants to put elected officials in charge of Auckland Transport, bring ekir Panaku Auckland and Taratuki Auckland Limited in house. Do you think those changes are something the city needs and would that actually address the concerns raised in this report.
Speaker 3: It's a really interesting challenge. Firstly, I think the mayor is absolutely right we should have more democratic control over Auckland Transport and the other agencies of council. The Auckland Transport spends about half of the Council's income and yet it's an independent board and is not as answerable to Counsel to our elected representatives as it should be. So the Mayor is quite right about that. More democracy would be great. However, the bigger issue is the disconnect I was talking about between central government and low government, and Auckland Transport at the moment is kind of stuck in the middle a little bit between them and then the third factor is I don't know if Wayne Brown is fully aware of the danger of getting what he wishes for, because every Auckland council we've had since the super city was formed in twenty ten has been a council that believed in public transport, believed in lowering emissions. And there is still a council policy called the Transport Emissions Reduction Plan the URB, which calls for us really significant emissions reductions by twenty thirty in our transport in this city. That TURB is not being implemented by Auckland Transport. But if transport planning came under the auspices directly of Auckland Council, then most councilors would say, we've got to do much more to make that a reality, To lower our emissions, to increase public transport, cycling and walking, to make the streets safer and easier to be in for everybody. That is what the public consistently says they want when they are asked to vote or to make public submissions. It's very consistent and very clear, and yet it hasn't really been done. So yes, Brown's right, we need more democracy, but I also think he may not be fully aware that what he's arguing for is a lower emissions transport economy, which will make the streets safer and more pleasant to be on and will have those really big improvements in public transport well.
Speaker 2: The report's three main recommendations involving building up Auckland's competitive position in key industries, national policies to form a national local consensus on infrastructure, and conscientious and collaborative leadership about the city's direction, appeal and identity development. Now buzzwords aside.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll tell you it is really hard to say buzzwords aside because the report is an exercise in buzzwords. It's so riddled with jargon. One of the reasons for it is that you can describe a problem in jargon, which is theoretically technical language or professional language, and avoid talking about the politics. But the reason we have this and not that is political always because there have been political choices made to build that road, not to have those buses, to have mari wards or not have marrii wards, all those sorts of things. They are political choices. One of the things this report says is that Auckland is one of the most diverse cities in the world is right up the top. We really don't exploit the potential of that, and it is also founded on this remarkable relationship or a relationship with a remarkable potential between Mani Fenua and everybody else, and we don't exploit that. Well, those things are political, may require leadership, and if we had them, it's part of making Auckland really special because those provide us with our.
Speaker 2: Uniqueness in terms of buzzwords aside and I'm assuming you wrung them through perhaps AI to decipher what everything was, what everything meant, or it may make it worse. Does that sound about right to you? Or do you think we should look at other changes? Perhaps we do need to be more competitive in those key industries though, don't.
Speaker 3: We Yes, we do, Yes, we do.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 3: One of the elements of that is that A good example of the challenge for Auckland and for New Zealand is from Terra's recent decision to get out of value added milk powder products and other words, the cheeses and all the rest that its various brands are producing and simply concentrate on commodity production and export of milk powder.
Speaker 1: Here we giant Fonterra one of the largest dairy producers in the world, is changing the way it does business. It's looking at selling off some of our most well known brands, among them Anchor, Mainland Carpetsy, Fern Leaf and Mum Baby Formula and Fresh and Fruity. The consumer channel, your kitchen staples, milk, cheese, yogurt, butter earned a three point three figure and that is the arm being sold.
Speaker 3: Now, that's anti everything that we've been told for a long time. Now this country and its economy needs to be doing an exports. It undermines it completely. Fonterra is an Auckland company based here, and we'll find it very easy to tell you all about the high tech work they're doing and how sophisticated they are and blah blah blah. The reality is they are have decided not to lead in that tech area, but to just get back to that commodity production. That's a real challenge for the city. If the big dairy company isn't going to do that, how are we going to prosper and grow as a city relying on highly skilled people to generate money for us for the city economy. And it's you know, it's hard to know the answer to that when the corporates aren't doing their bit in this case font Era.
Speaker 2: And lastly, Simon, after reading the report, would you be staying in Auckland or would you be moving to Copenhagen or the like?
Speaker 3: I would stay in all. However, would I like to spend some time in some of those other cities us in Geek, Copenhagen, Austin which I've been to, Yeah, definitely. Dublin's another one, though. There are cities there that are doing exciting things and we could learn from and it would be great for us to have the chance to do that. The other things this report says is that even if you look at bigger cities, and it gives the example of Saint Paulo in Brazil and New Delhi in India, which are both enormous, enormous cities, they have really exciting things going on that we think of them as kind of just full of people and not doing much, but it's actually not true. And where cities in those developing countries are doing really fascinating things to build their economies, and we're sitting here Smokeley going it's isn't it nice to be here? The challenge just gets bigger and bigger for us.
Speaker 2: As we sep our twenty eight dollar cocktail on the waterfront. Thanks for joining us, Simon. That said, for this episode of the Front Page, you can read more about today's stories and extensive news coverage at enzedherld dot co dot z. The Front Page is produced by Ethan Siles with sound engineer Patty Fox. I'm Chelsea Daniels. Subscribe to the Front Page on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts, and tune in tomorrow for another look behind the headlines.