Speaker 1: The information provided in this program is of a general nature and is not intended to be personalized financial advice. We encourage you to seek appropriate advice from a qualified professional to suit your individual circumstances. The Trump trades have all played out, Bitcoin, big tech, and bond yields are all surging. As has come back became a reality what assets money may flow to next?
Speaker 2: So you know, if we have an equity market that could rise by twenty percent within the year, that's pretty significant.
Speaker 1: What do you think, Greg, the lesson should be for investors on the prediction market versus the polls? Is the lesson always follow the money? Oh?
Speaker 2: It seems to be, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: Major US stock markets, the S and P five hundred and Nasdaq have hit new records, marking the best post election day in their history. That's on top of the lead up to the US election, where the same markets had their best pre election performance since nineteen thirty six. According to investor Pedia, investors were favoring bank stocks as well as the US dollar and gold. As the result rolled in, Bitcoin had its biggest moment here we Go, having an all time hive seventy five thousand US dollars on America's election night, so she couldn't have written a better script.
Speaker 3: Having it hit a new all time high on the night of the election.
Speaker 1: I think one of the most important things is we have the first bitcoin president.
Speaker 2: Hello, bitcoiners, thank you very much. Hello, it's good to be with you.
Speaker 1: The frenzy flowed into Black Rocks Bitcoin exchange traded fund, taking in one billion US dollars of inflows in the first twenty minutes of the market opening post election result. On the night, the prediction markets bet the polls with billions of dollars in punts price singing a Trump victory before it was actually officially announced. Traders executed that accordingly. On the bond market, This is how the short term two year and long term ten year bond yields responded on election night, going vertical, according to JB. Drax on Or. That was on top of increases in the weeks leading up as trade is priced in risks to inflation from Trump's proposed plan, including higher tariffs on imports. Analysis of candidate campaign promises suggested Trump would trigger a deepening in the US fiscal deficit of around seven point seven trillion US dollars.
Speaker 3: Just because the promises has given of significant tax cuts are generally estimated to be far larger than the ones that Democrats have, and I think we would end up in a deficit situation.
Speaker 1: Whether that occurs or is allowed by Congress is yet to be seen, but US based economists have their concerns.
Speaker 3: The United States all deficits a little bit like those fancy credit cards that'll tell you what the credit limit is. There is a credit limit, but the only way to find out is a by hitting it, and I think that's what has economists concerned.
Speaker 1: Tiger Brokers Chief strategy Officer Greg Bolland has been watching all as it's closely before, during, and after the US election. Look at Tesla, I mean that was not as high as fifteen percent on stage this morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well so it's nearly there again.
Speaker 1: So never met against Elona.
Speaker 2: Now, I've never been against Elon is obviously back the winning horse here Peces.
Speaker 1: If it's anything like the last Trump presidency, stocks will be in for a boost. Great, good to see you, Thank you so much for doing this big week.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you, medicine. Lovely to see you again. And he's a huge week this week and a huge weeks last week. So last week we had two hundred and fifty six of the S and P five hundred stocks report, and then this week obviously we've got the election and tomorrow morning news on in time the Federal Reserve, it probably will well ninety chance of also reducing rates by another twenty five basis points.
Speaker 1: Great, mostly between us until the weekend. Then that's when we can restore it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and around them. Walk on to Halp Medison last Saturday, just to keep myself in tune.
Speaker 1: Oh that's great. Like, I want to ask you about your Trump trades, if you don't mind sharing, how were you prepositioned going into this and if you don't mind telling us, how have they played out for you?
Speaker 2: My own personal trades mostly been selling puts against stocks that I think are going to rise. So with stocks like quoll Con they're reporting is tomorrow, the stock prices around one sixty yesterday, it's around one seventy today, and so I'm happy to buy it at one fifty. So if I sell a put, I make some money out of that put premium that someone's prepared to pay me. That's how I've done it, just by selling productions on markets that on stocks that I think are going.
Speaker 1: To go higher. You're always the derivatives guy, I love it. Let's talk about all those broad Trump trades that we're seeing across markets right now. Equities are certainly up in the US across the board significantly, big tech, real winner, banks, a big winner Bitcoin, USD. I mean, give me the color on how this has played out and how strong it is.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the main thing is what the markets want is certainty, and this has been a very decisive win for Trump and also the Republicans in terms of the Senate and also Congress. So it is definitely a move in their case the red or to the right towards it Republican government. In terms of the Trump trades, as you said, there's certain stocks that are done particularly well. And if we look at at the markets today, the Trump related stocks themselves, like Trump Media, is actually more or less flat, although yesterday it was up around fifty or sixty percent in the after ours market last night. Today, the financials have been the big winner and definitely the top two out of the stocks that have gone higher is Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan both up. JP Morgan up ten and a half percent, and Godman stacks up about up a little bit more than that, but also the likes of Morgan, Stanley and City and Wells Fargo all up between sort of eight and a half and twelve and a half percent, so they'll been the biggest winner in terms of stocks. And if you look at the S and P five hundred out of the top twenty gainers, eleven are financials.
Speaker 1: While financial is up so strongly, I'm assuming that that's because investors are now taking out the risk of extra regulation, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, extra regulation, tax perhaps and benefiting smaller companies. Companies grow, they need to then list or or get more capital, so they go to the big banks for that capital. And also more certainty abound interest rate it's going forward and inflation coming down definitely. The job numbers last week were pretty weak. The ICN numbers this week were reasonable, So the chances of probability of a rate cut on Friday is very high.
Speaker 1: Where do you think equities could go from here? If you look at history, how have US equity markets performed when there has been such a decisive like this election result and also a Republican result.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so in terms of in terms of the results so we can we can look at charts in terms of returns the day after, the week after, the months after, and the year after, if you like. And if you look at the last two elections, so that Biden election, the day of the election was certain that he was the president, the market went up two point two percent, and the SMP five hundred wreas previously and under trumpet went up one point one percent. And the average between nineteen eighty four and now is actually a decrease of about zero point five of a percent. So the SMP rallying today around two point six percent is higher than it's ever done in the last period from nineteen.
Speaker 1: Eighty well, so this is actually rare, and that's considering that it was already the best pre election performance since like nineteen thirty six heading into this. So this all net is pretty incredible for equity.
Speaker 2: Market three and the equity markets will continue to go higher in my opinion. And if you look at the returns on the SMP five hundred in the year after an election, it's around sixteen and a half percent. Under Biden, it was around twenty four percent. Trump around twenty four percent also, and also Obaman his last term it was up around twenty six percent. So you know, if we have an equity market that could rise by twenty to twenty five percent within the year, that's pretty significant for people who wish to invest inequities and significant for New Zealanders who have qvserver funds, and a lot of these server funds invest in these top tier companies in the US.
Speaker 1: No such thing as an absolute short thing, though, Greg No, if we consider the risks. It is proposed that Trump would be more inflationary to the US economy through things like direct tariffs on imported goods into the US. How could slightly higher inflation if that occurs, if we get more borrowing and a larger fiscal deficit in the US, how could that impact US company earnings?
Speaker 2: Yeah, certainly so in terms of in terms of the tariffs and the like. It's definitely something that the market may may increase in. Moody's put out a report saying that under a Trump government, inflation could go from the two and a half percent to three and a half percent by the end of twenty twenty five. Under House would have maybe stayed the same or even belower. So it definitely is cause for worry in terms of inflation, prices may go up, but one percent is not too high in terms of you know, under the Biden administration, it was the third worst term in terms of inflation and an average inflation rate for that whole term. It was a third worst since the nineteen eighties and.
Speaker 1: The third largest fiscal deficit on record, referred only to twenty Queen twenty one, which recovered years, so absolutely excepit.
Speaker 2: What grees are the things that you mentioned in terms of physical deficit, there's definitely cause for concern. If Trump does doesn't increase or that reduces tax rates or keeps tax rates the same, then the income earned for the from the federal government is less. So you know that both both parties are fiscally irresponsible. There's no doubt about that.
Speaker 1: More inflation could actually be good for a higher fiscal deficit, because the US government could just inflate more of that dead away, couldn't they correct.
Speaker 2: But also the biggest problem under the Biden administration, the differential between inflation and wages and wage growth and inflation growth or price growth if you like, was prices were three or four times higher than wage growth, and at the end, wages were slightly ahead in terms of growth. And so if under a Trump administration more jobs are created, particularly in smaller companies because of tariffs and protectionism, then you know, wage growth should be hopefully above the three and a half percent that that inflation is. So you know, the whole premise of the Trump trade and the Trump election has really been the effect on the economy or the Biden administration. And you know, after after COVID, most most governments have been elected out, so you know, he was there with fiscal easing or least physical policy to to help create more jobs and keep the economy going. And the same happened in New Zealand, and you know we're paying the cost now, but that also caused high inflation.
Speaker 1: We aren't quite seeing the inflation potential expectations on the equities market, but it is playing out quite strongly on the bond market. Fine yields had been surging, they were pretty much vertical on that immediate election result. That means, with the inverse relationship, the bond prices are falling. What does that mean for fixed income investors that are in bonds and US treasuries at the moment and could it longer term signal actual better returns in US treasuries certainly.
Speaker 2: So in terms of the ten year tenure end of the curve is definitely a lot higher, but interest rates coming down at the short end, particularly for drop again by another twenty five basis points for the cash rate this Friday. There's definitely a steepening of the curve between the short term rates and long term rates, and so people will either move into shorter term products like the treasuries and the like, where the yields may go up because they're going to be borrowing more so therefore they have to offer more interest and more risk obviously, but also you know, people will move out of treasuries, long longer term treasure bonds, in long term corporate bonds into equities because equity markets are likely to rally from here.
Speaker 1: But coin bitcoin, where does that go from here? All time high on election night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, So I shares black rocks. It has the predominant ETF which started at the beginning of the year. That was up eight point eight percent overnight. And then if you look at the individual Trump trade stocks that could benefit from from bitcoin changes, coin Base was up thirty two percent this morning and Marason Digital what nineteen percent? So significant increases in the in the prices of those related to bitcoin and cryptocurrency.
Speaker 1: How do you see a Trump presidency actually changing the game for bitcoin investors? Material? Is it?
Speaker 2: Hopefully over time there'll be more regulation of bitcoin. That's probably against Trump's thing in terms of regulation, But you know, people are investing in these sorts of products need certainty, and the likes of an ETF on bitcoin like the ib which is offered by Ice Shares and Black Crock provides a way or mechanism of investing in these markets without having to store the bitcoin or worry about your passwords and all that sort of thing. So move movement towards some more certainty around the process of clearing and settlement and trading and security of the bitcoin will help. And and you know, definitely the likes of the ETFs helped with that, and that will that may long continue.
Speaker 1: And now under this leadership it will be more help than hinder you think.
Speaker 2: Create in district correct, Yes, and definitely he has been a big proponent of bitcoin.
Speaker 1: What do you think, greg, the lesson should be for investors on the prediction market versus the polls is the lesson always follow the money.
Speaker 2: Well it seems to be, doesn't it. So if you look at the polls right up till you know, the till the boats closed, it was a fifty to fifty game. Whereas the the the tipsters and the I could have said Trump was going to win for from weeks ago. So in the odds of you know, your payout being high, Honor trump victory was quite low. So you know, definitely follow the money and then that's whether what's happening at the moment.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for your time, Greg, always good to chat.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you.