Speaker 1: Caldercot. Welcome to the b YC.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Export Bear Garden Studio and welcome to the ACC headquarters. I'm Paul Ford, godfather of the Pagema Gaid and today we are getting fired up for the English and Welsh crusade of New Zealand that is underway in Queenstown.
Speaker 1: They have landed.
Speaker 2: We're sniffing around the border Gaviscar series. We're checking on the planket shield and we get some cricket violence right between the eyes and reflect on the monsoon magnet.
Speaker 1: That is a cricket series in Sri Lanka. No Jason Hoyt.
Speaker 2: Today as he recovers from his boxing debut over the weekend were he lost on points to Joe Biden and a disgraceful woman about ahead of his fight against Mike Tyson and a g string on boxing day. But we do have our pleasy, didn't they of the fantastic scoop making the Bounce newsleader Dylan Clever with us today.
Speaker 1: Dylan, how the hell are you?
Speaker 3: I'm very good, Thank you, Paul. Thanks for the kind introduction.
Speaker 1: We'll get into one of those scoops in a bit. Look. First off, I reckon.
Speaker 2: We should have a look at this one day International series over in Sri Lanka that succumbed to the rain gods and Pala Kelly overnight. Not quite the same success as New Zealand enjoyed in the drawn T twenty series. But can we take much out of these performances from what is essentially a development squad really in a series of three rain affected matches.
Speaker 3: Very little can we take out of it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Look, they went to the first one in dan Burler, which was a follow on from the T twenty series. They got hammered there. Let's be fair on Duckworth Lewis by forty five runs. Sri Lanka scored three hundred and twenty four for five. New Zealand could only get one hundred and seventy five for nine in return off twenty seven. Again rain affected in Pala Kelly first game, but New Zealand fell short with two hundred and nine didn't beat out there forty seven overs and then Shri Lanka struggled to chase that down two hundred and ten for seven. And then finally last night I was all excitedly watching well Young and Harvey Nichols. You know, look quite comfortable until the spinners came on. They certainly comfortable against pace and one hundred and twelve to one, it was all over. And really the talking point is we keep going to Sri Lanka and we keep getting rained on.
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 2: Have you been into the history box on that or are you just saying that was of your head?
Speaker 3: It felt so awfully familiar, I thought I would do some geekery and the first thing that surprised me was that it's actually the first bilateral One Day series we've paid there in eleven years. But I want my suspicions were.
Speaker 1: It seems like Sri Lanka's played in New Zealand every year four eleven years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. And so in twenty thirteen it was a three months match series. The first one in hand Them Totter was no result, second one, same venue was twenty three overs per team. The third one in dan Buller was a thirty three over versus twenty five over Duckworth Lewis affair. In twenty twelve we had a four match ODII series. The first at Pala Kelly was fifty overs versus twenty three on Duckworth Lewis. The second the second at Pala Kelly was a thirty three over a side match that was also decided on Duckworth Lewis. The third at ham bent Tota was thirty two overs versus twenty seven, again decided on Duckworth Lewis. Sri Lanka won all three of those Duckworth Lewis, but the crown and glory was the fourth one at Hambantota which was no result and then the previous series, so that was a tri series in Sri Lanka. I think he might have involved int you as well. And the New Zealand's match was Sri Lanka in that tri series at dan Buller was no result.
Speaker 1: God, that's extraordinary. So that's three six ' ten. That's eleven rain affected matches in a row.
Speaker 3: The past eleven, Odie Eyes and Sri Lanka have all been rain affected and Sri Lanka won the vast majority of them on Duckworth lows.
Speaker 1: That is preposterous.
Speaker 2: It's also ridiculous that we haven't won any of those games on duck with Lowis.
Speaker 1: But I guess we.
Speaker 2: Shouldn't dwell on that God that is there, that is well, we should just not go at this time. But I guess we don't call the shots.
Speaker 3: There's another curiosity in that as well, that every single venue of that and there's that eleven match streak is up in the highlands, there's no there's no gaull od I or Columbo. All up in the hills, the rain rolls in that gets I don't know, perhaps nothing much goes on there and they think, well, we'll give them the New Zealand.
Speaker 2: To be fair, some of the crowds look quite fired up. I quite enjoyed the crowds. They look quite lively, beautiful, lively than the pictures.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but no, there was nothing to take out of it other than I think the major difference in that the two teams was Sri Lanka was far closer to the full strength and New Zealand was and their spinner's economy rates with far superior like lysa Thik Sharner and Jeffrey Vandersay were far more effective at keeping the runs in check. I don't know, can you take anything out of Will Young bettered Nicey. I guess I compiled as last. I think his last eleven Odie eyes. I don't know if you can remember, but that game of the World Cup opener that New Zealand one and Conway and Ravendra had got big tons and they thresht England and that same game Will Young was strangled down leg side. I think it might have been a first ball duck, you know, hellishly unlucky. Since then, he's compiled seventy to fifty four, seventeen, thirty two, thirty three, one hundred and five, eighty nine, twenty six, forty eight, twenty six and fifty six not out. So he has been amazing, amazingly consistent and ODII cricket. Does that count for much these days? That's a question I'll throw to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, look, look, look I'll be I think it does. I think it does, and it's great to see, you know that he is putting together a record. I mean obviously, so obviously he's the next cap off the rank, but it's also a sign that he's not getting bored and frustrated, that he just.
Speaker 1: Keeps on putting those numbers up. So yeah, I mean, good on them.
Speaker 2: I think he averaged sixty five in the series, But for comparison, I think coustial Menus was averaging two hundred and fifteen or something, and I think Fernando was fifty odd so yeah, look he was. He was probably the second best better in the in the series. But I don't think there's a hell of a lot anyone else got out of it. A few other scores. I think Chapman got a he got a seventy odd I think yeah.
Speaker 3: I think he got a top scorer in the series for New Zealand. And Nichols got some nice enough forty odds last night when he had been really struggling coming off the back of a very poor for trophy, which again raised questions as to how he managed to find himself in this New Zealand Odie Ice squad and then failures in the first two games. He would have been feeling some heat. So and he looked nice actually, in fact, when the spinners came on, he looked more accomplished than Young did last night. But jeep, some of those shots Young played off the pacemen were just mint.
Speaker 1: Saw a beautiful straight drive that I was doing. The dishes sensational and it.
Speaker 3: Does make you realize just what a fine talent he is. And again it's that his New Zealand cricket maximized it. And I think the answer is probably resounding.
Speaker 1: No, he looked like he was having a bloody good time in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah I had, I had one eye, you know, on him, and you talked about it.
Speaker 1: I think last week, you know, a little not.
Speaker 2: Not a swagger per se, but a confidence, And I thought I thought we could see that last night as he was out there with with Nichols, as we were hoping that they wouldn't run each other out in some sort of act of malicious malevolence.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Look, one guy that I thought would have been annoyed at his series as Tim Robinson, you know, way down.
Speaker 1: I think he was just looking here, what did he get? Average?
Speaker 2: Sixteen forty eight runs off forty seven balls.
Speaker 1: And one of those scores was thirty five.
Speaker 2: So it took a couple of failures and Glenn Phillips was a little bit out of sorts too, but yeah, look I agree with you, but Young looked sublime until the heavens opened.
Speaker 1: And yeah, the bowling it was Michael Bracewall. He did some good things.
Speaker 2: I think he was top of the wickets and so on, but yeah, not a hell of a lot to really take. And given the how few overs were played across the thing, that series.
Speaker 3: I thought Bracewall was the time you reminder that the guy can play cricket, right you mentioned last week He's just an unreal fielder. He's a sensational fielder. He was too expensive though, but he was a wicket taking option. But you watch the difference between him and Think Channer. And I know Thik Channer's got the Karen ball, the big arm ball, something that Bracewall and the New Zealand spinners don't zest. But I did feel like they leaked too many runs. Mind you, csemendous Is was batting out of this world and home conditions. So but yeah, I mean it was a time you reminder that Michael Bracewall was still there. You're still part of that burgeoning, finger spinning list of options we've got.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure any of them will well. Before that India Test series, I wasn't sure that any of them were world class. But you know, join the Q now braces behind Len Phillips, a Jaz Mitchell Santner.
Speaker 1: Lovely problem to have.
Speaker 2: Hey, DC, let's take a break and when we come back, let's get stuck into the New Zealand Test squad. I think you did pretty well on your guestimates for the squad.
Speaker 1: We'll be back shortly. Welcome back to the b y C.
Speaker 2: It's Paul Ford and Dylan Cleaver coming to you today. And Dylan, the New Zealand Test squad was named this week. Do you want to give us a rundown on that and maybe any any points of interest, anything surprising in there. I think you guessed pretty well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, So the squad is Lathan Captain, Blundle Wicker Keeper, Conway Duffy, Henry Mitchell, O'Rourke, Phillips, Ravendra, Nathan Smith, Tim Southy Caine, Williamson, will Young and Mitchell Santon will come in for the second and thirdest in Wellington Hamilton and one of those pace bowlers will drop out of the squad. There's two uncapped players in that team, which is Duffy and Nathan Smith. And yeah, I had a punt at picking the thirteen slash fourteen and for some reason I should have got all fourteen, but for some reason I didn't have Nathan Smith, although I had this funny feeling he was right there in the mix and I actually thought they might have an extra spinner as a kind of stock bowler slash deep in the batting lineup for christ Church as well. I thought Santna would be in for all three on the back of what he did in India and the fact they love him. You know, he offers leadership, he offers the potential of runs down the order fields brilliantly and can bolve very tightly. But they brought him in for the second and third Test and have Smith in for the first one. So I guess the points of interest really are Nathan Smith. Do they crow bar them into that first Test lineup ahead of Duffy or do they play just the three seamers and both Duffy and Smith's on the sidelines. And of course Sally announced Manning official that this will be his last Test series barring qualification for the World Test Championship, which would be a final in Lords, during which he would make himself available for clearly no guarantees of selection.
Speaker 2: I'm also available for selection for that as well. Yeah, look, it's interesting to see Nathan Smith in there. Yeah, it really does feel like it's a duel for that fourth semi spot. You know, I've put my cards on the table last week. I'd love to see Will Young in there. But I just don't think that the New Zealand selectors are going to do that. I think that with came back, they're going to want to have those four seemers, And yeah, it's going to be an interesting decision. I guess in terms of seniority, you would expect that Duffy would.
Speaker 1: Be given a shot.
Speaker 2: But it does seem like they like the cut of Nathan Smith's jib and if they're looking for a bit more batting insurance, then you know, you you suspect that a guy down the order betting at number eight who can bash it around could could be pretty handy. So yeah, look it's a it's again a good conundrum for the selectors. Yeah, you called the center thing. I guess, were you thinking maybe Bracewall might be in there? Is it who you were thinking might sort of?
Speaker 3: No, I she thought was Handton would be in for the start and they might bring a js ptel and got for an extra spin option. Probably wouldn't use them, but just to have them there in case they roll up to seven Park and get the similar wicket that they got in South Africa. We're here last summer and rolled up to Wellington and get a similar wicket they had when Nathan Lyon and Glenn Phillips were the two most effective bowlers at the base and last summer, which nobody anticipated. And I still find it hard to believe that you're going to find a wicket like that in November in Wellington, but who knows. But look, I actually totally agree with you. This whole fourth seema thing feels again and we use this work quite often when describing a Gary Stead's side, but it feels slightly dogmatic and that you go to Christus, you go to have the over and you have to play four seamas. I think what we tend to forget is that when New Zealand we're at the most effective doing that, the fourth seamers were Jamison Wagner, Bolt or Saudi and they had Colin de Gronholm as your backup who was a genuine number seven guy who's capable of scoring Test centuries. Colinder Grondholm is your fourth seema is a lot different than Nathan Smith, your four seema where you have or Jacob Duffy where you have to you're lengthening the tail and to be I'm fear of Nathan Smith. I haven't seen enough from bat. I do know he's capable with the bat, but there's a difference between being capable of the bat first class level and being capable with the bat when you're faced with you know, at chest attack. They are not the strongest English Test attack you can ever come across, but still a good chest attack. So yeah, look they did it last summer with Scott Coogar. Liners have four seamer. He barely bold. He did slog a few runs in one of the innings here, but I'm like you, I'd actually rather see them play Will Young, make that batting lineup really strong and say to Sally Henry all yours guys, go get it done, Go get it done.
Speaker 2: The other interesting piece of context around this, and I don't know whether this changes anything, is obviously New Zealand has to win effectively to stay in the running, and you know there's different permutations and whatever, but basically New Zealand needs to win this series three mel to give themselves a shot at that World Test Championship final. So I guess I was thinking about this, and you could argue that picking four seamas is a more aggressive option if you're trying to win a Test match.
Speaker 3: But if it all seems effective.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: And if your fourth seamer is as you say, it's a I think I can't if you said Matt Henry in there as well, but you know what an embarrassment of Richards having Henry, Jamison and yeah de grondeom all in the mix for selection, which you know we're not in that position anymore.
Speaker 1: So Yeah, I don't know who.
Speaker 2: England would look at and go we would rather face Duffy or we would rather face Smith. He's probably reasonably familiar to a lot of them. Obviously McCullum would know them both well. Jim Pattel's been in and around that team as well, he would have some pretty decent insights in Both of them have played county cricket.
Speaker 1: I actually heard.
Speaker 2: NASA the saying say, just as an aside, that Nathan Smith was his the local pro at his at Radlett in Hertfordshire before he ended up going off and playing, getting sort of scaled up and going and playing.
Speaker 1: Was it for what's the ship? What's the source?
Speaker 2: I think it was anyway, Yeah, someone described him as yep, get him in the get him in the main team because he wacks it and he bolves quick, which is quite a nice, quite a pithy description for for Smith.
Speaker 1: But yeah, look it's a it's a it's a bit of an interesting one in terms of I am intrigue.
Speaker 3: I would like to see him, actually, you know, I am intrigued by what Nathan Smith can offer. I just hope they're confident that he will be a genuine option and you know, just not the spear preck that spends most of his time a third man.
Speaker 1: And yes, yeah, exactly exactly as you.
Speaker 2: Maybe we'll have a bit more of a chat about I think there's some correspondence about Kanes. Maybe we'll come back to that one. But I guess the big news in this whole squad naming was Tim southy sensational career coming to a close for New Zealand and DC.
Speaker 1: You had a pretty decent scoop on this one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you probably read it first in the bounce.
Speaker 2: To be.
Speaker 3: Brutally honest, it was not that hard to anticipate. I think the writing was on the wall as soon as he handed the captaincy back. That was the signal that selection was no longer guaranteed. He wouldn't have played every you know, if they had the Afghanis Sand Test as well in India, I think, you know, there was a chance that he probably looking to play maybe four of those Tests overseas. I think Gary said signal that he wouldn't be playing every Test as it was. He got too in India. I think he got both in Sri Lanka. So that sounds about right, and it's the right time. And there's just has been a lack of wickets. There's no other way of putting it. You know, he's still bowling a relatively nice shape with the new ball for a couple of overs, but there doesn't seem to be any punch when he comes back for those second and third spells. He's used more as a holding bowler. And yeah, I mean it just feels like the timing is right. It's probably not his choice. But look, you go through some of those numbers and there's a whole list here, should we go through them? I mean, only Fleming Victorian Taylor have played more than as one hundred and four Tests. He's got the most teach winy wickets by any human alive or dead. He's got the most Test wins by a New Zealander at forty six. He's got the most international wickets by a New Zealander. I think it's seven hundred and seventy international wickets. He's got the second most Test wickets behind him. Ay, he's got the third most ODI wickets behind for Tory and Mills, is it? I think? So? I should have checked that really, And my favorite stat of all, he's got the six most sixes in Test history with ninety three and cheap as I hope he swings for the hills and goes for one hundred and sixes of this series. It's all over.
Speaker 2: And I know we should be talking about, you know, his seven for sixty four at Bengaluru and six.
Speaker 1: For forty three and six for fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Lords and you know all these these sensational bowling figures and all that kind of stuff, But how good is the sixers?
Speaker 1: Thing?
Speaker 2: Like when you look at the company that he is rubbing shoulders with in there, Stokes, McCullum, Gilchrist, Gaale keallous Seywag Sharma, Lara, Ken's, Richard's, it's amazing, amazing company. And I know you've got a couple more stats, but I do love the three hundred Test wickets two hundred one Day wickets and one hundred T twenty International wickets. That's that's a good insight into his hosatility and commitment to New Zealand.
Speaker 3: Frankly, yeah, and he's one of only twenty five players to have the two thousand runs in two hundred chest wickets and another one of my favorite stats. And it feels like I'm cheapening his legacy here a little bit with batting stats when he was clearly a bowler who could swing the willow a little bit. But only two players have scored as many Test runs as him without scoring a century. Can you name them?
Speaker 2: Well, I reckon, I'm worn, I feel as one of the two. But geez, I'm really struggling on the second one. I'm god, I can't even I can't even think. I mean, I'm sorry. That the sort of Lance Kenes or is it someone really sort of niche out of the subcontinent.
Speaker 1: I just don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm very niche out of the sub continent. It was the tree Link and work Keeper Narish and Dick Weller.
Speaker 1: Geez, well, that's not quite as a illustrious company.
Speaker 2: I feel like dick Weller's punching above his weight there being in there with Southern and warned to be honest.
Speaker 1: But yeah, a sensational career.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure as we as we see things unfold over the next few weeks, it be great to reflect on some of those magnificent performances from Timseuth and hopefully he's got another one to give us over there, or another, in fact, another six to give us.
Speaker 3: It can't you reflect on something right now? Though? And this is something that bothers me a little bit, And it's on the comments of my news letter all the time as well, and I hear it on talkback. He's got all these incredible numbers. He was always available. He made it very very clear that he put playing for his country above anything else, and yet he's never quite had the universal adoration in a way that a had the Bond, or even Bolt and Wagner had. You did you get that sense, and if so, do you have any kind of reasons or any theories as to why that might be?
Speaker 2: Gosh, that's an interesting reflection. I don't know if I feel like that.
Speaker 1: I mean I do.
Speaker 2: I don't think this is the point of what you say, but I do feel like he has not muddled. I'm trying to think so not let himself down, but I guess not tarnished, because it makes it sound like he's done. He's been bad, but the last couple of years have been tough going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, and you know, the best will in the world and so on.
Speaker 2: It's just been really hard to keep backing his selection in the team and it's felt bad.
Speaker 1: I think we've acknowledged it on here.
Speaker 2: It's a horrible feeling to have this guy that's literally given Parfa's life to playing for New Zealand very deliberately, I think, has turned down a lot of the riches going on around the world in terms of t twenties and yeah, it's just given as guts.
Speaker 1: But it's an interesting point.
Speaker 2: And I guess for a long time he was that that duo with Trent Bolt, and maybe that's the maybe that's the root of this of this feeling, you know. I think in Bolt, I think Trent Bolt's favorite bowler was was he Macram Tim So Howthy's favorite bowler was Glen McGrath.
Speaker 1: And I mean it's kind of.
Speaker 2: That there's something in that that this kind of more Bolt, I think more of an extrovert, more of an outgoing guy, sort of laughing when he's out there, intensely competitive, and I'm sure Tim is exactly the same on that front, just more of a more of a hype man, whereas I feel like Tim's now he's a public persona is more reserved and more low key and a bit more surly, and you know, he's that sort of calming influence. So yeah, look, I just think that public persona is quite is just quite different. I mean everything you read about those both of those guys actually, but you know, Tim feels like he's a real alpha in that New Zealand dressing room. Yeah, but like lots of these New Zealand sports people, you do wonder whether he just pulls the shutters down a little bit when he heads out into public.
Speaker 3: He's never been there polished in front of a camera or a dictaphone, has he. It's always been he started off for your Shakxi just to cut off Northland Farm that kind of a little bit, I think, when you know he maybe wasn't living up to his potential early and he had a little bit of a reputation as a party boy, which I don't think was ever totally justified. I think there were elements of this story that might have been true, But from what I've been told, he's never been a big drinker, never lived a life of excess la kind of your Jesse Ryders, Doug Bracewells, that that kind of thing, like, he was always very dedicated to the team and fitness. But I think that stuck a little bit and I think it made him a little bit weary from there. And after that, as you say, I think shutters came down and the public really never saw a totally Tim Southey who was totally engaged with them, totally engaged with the cricket, totally engaged with the team, but not that front facing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels like one of those guys that's accidentally famous and doesn't really dine out on it very much.
Speaker 1: You know, it was probably trying to keep a low profile.
Speaker 2: I mean, I had not a huge you know, I don't follow thousands of cricketers on Instagram and so on. But my sense is that trump Bolt will be a lot more you know, living it up.
Speaker 1: Through through those mediums than Tim Sally would.
Speaker 2: And I love both of them, you know, it's just a different approach, But I do think that, yeah, that extroverted personality of trump Bolt maybe lends itself to being more sort of beloved by the New Zealand public. And it's sort of wrong because you know, if you're going to go on the things that the cricket followers really really want, it's that commitment to New Zealand, and I think Tim's absolutely top of the heap on that front.
Speaker 3: Is he in your Four Pillars of New Zealand past bowling? More importantly, he absolutely is.
Speaker 2: So Yeah, the Mount Rushmore of New Zealand paste bowling for me was is Hadley, Southy, Bolt and Bond with cheating here honorable mentions Wagner, Morrison and Martin.
Speaker 3: Okay, well that's that's interesting. I think we've got something very similar. But I also cheated. I mean, Sir j had I mean that goes without saying he is. He's not just the pillar or the Mount Rushmore. He's going.
Speaker 1: I feel like the Mount Rushmore was on his farm. It's on his land, it's on his.
Speaker 3: Orchid orchard, and he's also commissioned the sculptor as well.
Speaker 1: And he is selling photos of it for ninety nine to ninety five.
Speaker 3: Exactly with explicit instructions to make his just a little bit larger than the rest of the sculptures. So him, I've got term and trend. They almost come as a package deal, and I was thinking about doing that as a package deal, but no, they are separate. But the tour really struggled with were how do I shoe horn Jack Cowie and Shane Bond into the four pillars. Shane Bond I saw nearly every delivery he bowled, and he was a phenomenon, but he just wasn't available that often.
Speaker 2: There was the cricket fastest New Zealand had a fifty Test wickets and what eighteen tests eighty seven wickets, stress for rictures to feat in backs and knee injuries and ic El Shenanigan's.
Speaker 3: You know, never bowling innings in Test cricket where he didn't take a wicket, which is quite remarkable. Like the guy was a gift, but he was a gift that was snatched away from us all too often. And look, it's a similar story with Jack Cowie. And I think it was Wisdom Magazine said of or the Bible of Cricket said of Jack Cowie. Had he been Australian. He might have been termed a wonder of the age.
Speaker 1: Gee, that is my praise.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the guy only played nine tests. I never saw it, clearly, I never saw it. His career was between the two Tours of England of thirty seven and forty nine. By the time he was on the forty nine tour, I think he was a little bit beyond past his best, but I think he's still averaged. It seemed like twenty six per wicket on that tour. Len Hatton said he was just dynamite quick, with a spitting copra of an off break and a playing the ball away. I think how he got Manhattan, who was one of the great all time, for zero in one in his Lord's debut, So yeah, terrific. So I'm putting those in there because they played so seldom. They make up one of my pillars.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, right, they're sort of doing one hundred tests collectively, sort of thing fifty plus or whatever it was. Yeah, yeah, interesting. I've got also Jason Hoyt's text through his Matt Rushmore and see what you think of this. Dale Hadley, Chris Pringle, Derek Sterling, Martin Sneden, honorable mention Ben Lister.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that sounds a lot like Jason Hoyt. He's a massive fan of Martin Steden. Obviously he loves the windmill action.
Speaker 2: Chris Springle thirty wickets at forty six. Dale Hadley seventy one wickets, not bad ye at thirty but best bowling four for thirty.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Dale Hadley was poised to be a star as well, and then he put his foot in a lawmar or something. They got a horrific injury just as he was at his peak. The late Derek Sterling, a fantastic CD servant, pushed off the pickets of Fitzerbert Park, his home ground. But yeah, interesting choices. Hey, I've got a bit of correspondence for you here. It's from Dylan Dylan Nielsen. Hey, guys, I couldn't help but notice the buyc and the bounds broke. The news of Tim Salle's retirement last week, which was kind of expected. Slightly more worrying was Paul's confident declaration there would also be Kane's last Test series. Was this idle speculation or should I brace myself for the worst of all news? Love the show, don't go missing from a month again, please.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, absolutely no inside information very much, just a sort of a vibe thing really. I mean, I just look at his ongoing injuries. I look at the fact he's got three young kids, he's got an English wife.
Speaker 1: I yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's baggeral test cricket coming out.
Speaker 2: I looked at yeah, exactly. I look at the schedule. We play England, then there's potentially the World Test Championship. I think that there's some barbwey test matches. We've got, only got the West Indies next summer. It doesn't give him a lot to cling onto. And I just just it was just a spidy census thing, to be honest, you know, folding a couple of other things. You know, the captaincy changed, Tom Latham's in there, Tom Latham and Gary Stead. There's an axis there. He's off to the South African Premier League. So you know he's obviously key to play, but sort of play in other ways. And start to see a bit more activity around his business interests. I think he's involved in apples, he's involved in I think I saw Kombucher.
Speaker 3: So yeah, local kom Butcher brew not beare yeah.
Speaker 2: A couple of yeah, the last couple of couple of months, and then I don't want to I've got no sense of the timing on this, but you know, I saw him in the nets at Hamilton before the Planket Shield game that he's playing currently, and it seemed to me that like Tim Soudy was, you know, just like he seemed unburdened, and he seemed quite flippant and quite loose, and he said some quite poignant things, you know, talking about agent stage and obviously kind of reflecting on to Southey's career alongside his mortality.
Speaker 3: During that he.
Speaker 2: Did he did contemplate his own mortality and yeah, coaches, I think that B and D and it just made me think, just slip out the side door, that he wouldn't want thunder from Tim, I wouldn't want a song and dance, but everything we can to make sure he's here at least till next summer surely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, worryingly, I think you might be onder something there. And again, this is the top of the head stuff. I don't want to make it sound like I've got a connection into the Williamson family or anything like that. I haven't, but there was a couple of things that give me hope that he might press on and and one of them is they're on his casual contract. I mean, he's an all time great, he's New Zealand Cricket's McCaw and the way he carries himself and the way he goes about it, and because he's on this casual contract, you can actually taylor his calendar to what he wants to do effectively. I know that might not go down well with everyone, and I know he might himself feel that that's taking the past, but that's kind of what they've been doing for the past four years. Anyway. He's missed a lot of cricket. Some of it's been through injury, well, a lot of it's been through injury, but some of it's just been through not engaging with some of these bilateral these endless bilateral series that are going on. I've kind of had a look at the calendar for the next cycle. Dylan kleback, Yeah, assistant, I'm not going to do it now. I will save it, save it for next week if anyone's interested in. But I reckon I got a way of getting him through to the twenty twenty seven Cricket World Cup, which is when we can say goodbye that home summer, that Southern Hemisphere summer. The twenty six twenty seven they're away in Australia for three tests, so I'd love to see him have one more crack at Australia and then they're also home. I think maybe it's a bumper summer. They might even be home to England and Sri Lanka there and I've just got I can see parades down the main street of Mount Monganoi, a final farewell at Bay Oval, but Dylan Klever led hikoy Yeah, New Zealand cricket free entry, spill over into Blake Park for big screens, free beer, free captain's hats, free rocket apples, you know, maybe even an investa sture how you say that word, where you get a New Zealand or a merit awarded to them at lunch on the first day. All this sort of stuff that he absolutely did test, but we're just going to make him do it.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, it's a fever dream for you and a fever nightmare for him, That's exactly.
Speaker 1: It's amazing. Yeah, I look forward to that.
Speaker 2: Maybe you could write that up as a Google calendar that we can all that you could share and we can all sort of embed that into our list of calendars on Google and we can kind of keep an eye on we came.
Speaker 3: I can do that. I'm finding close to having already done it.
Speaker 2: Oh you do worry me at at times, Dylan. Yeah, well, Dylan, I can tell you England have landed. I've seen the photos of them coming into Queenstown, the classic stereotype photos of the bags coming off the plane, and looks like they are gearing up for some golf at Millbrook ahead of the New Zealand at Cricket eleven at the Sir John Davies over eleven am. I guess my question is up game or are they really just actually here to play golf.
Speaker 3: They're certainly here to play golf initially. It's a very bassball way of going about things, isn't it. There's plenty of choices down there as well. In fact, it's not so long ago that my oldest child went around Central Otago playing a bit of golf. So if they get sick of Millbrook, they can shoot down to Roxburgh, which is a lot of fun. There's all sorts of courses there can't go wrong, but arrow Town's always good for the soul. Yeah, I hope they're as distracted as can be because I've still got that World Test Championship, hope, and that requires England to play their part in a series loss have.
Speaker 2: Isolated through our ongoing analysis. We need the distractions to win. So yeah, a bit of golf that will be helpful. World Test Championship is not going to be as distraction for they're pretty much stuffed. They've just lost a series in Pakistan, but they one day series in the West Indies. Brenda McCollums taken on the white ball reins feels like it could be another distraction with her James Anderson and his wife bleating about him being dropped in the media even though he's about as old as Methuselah and.
Speaker 3: His wife has not taken Awhall, has she She.
Speaker 2: Must have had her clothing allowance reduced or something. And we've got the IPL action coming up next week as well.
Speaker 3: So he's in that though James Anderson's in.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes he is.
Speaker 2: I tell you one that I did see went pretty well over in the West Indies as the new boy Jacob Bethel who he's only twenty one years old, but they are talking about him same hushed tones as they were talking about Harry Brook. So that's what Marcus Stroscothic thinks.
Speaker 1: So yeah, look out.
Speaker 3: Okay, there's another big series about to start as well, this time across the Tasman and that's one that I'm tremendously looking forward to. And I'm not sure. I haven't worked out the WTC implications yet and what is the best result for New Zealand. But I'm assuming that we're assuming that Australia are going to be kind of in so if they beat India that probably helps how things go. But yeah, there's a few Well, Australia had their issue replacing David Warner, but India have gone next level with their issues. And at the top of the order, Rowat Sharma is not there on opportunity leave shouldn't and Gill has cracked something and is unavailable, and they are looking at kl Rah Hall opening the batting, and maybe a young fellow called Paddy Carl who was in the India squad that lost to quite heavily to Australia. A and a couple of unofficial tests, joining him at the top of the order.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting that that's a massive loss.
Speaker 1: Shouldn Gil being out. I mean, he's he's scary.
Speaker 2: Ko Roll got one on the got crunched on the hand this week as well, So I think he's been for scans, but it's been cleared warming up at the whacker. Actually, Charmi is also an Coli'S been for some scans.
Speaker 1: So yeah, they're really they are really in the wars.
Speaker 2: Australia too, have got their troubles, as you say, new opener even opened in Sheffield. Shield cricket nicknamed Buddha after childhood cricket coach Fat shamed him and he's never been able to shake the nickname.
Speaker 1: And of course they've got Cameron.
Speaker 2: Green out with the buggered back headed Marsha just back from parental leave as well. And you know, both teams really are. It's Army gets thrown around a lot, but geez, gentleman, in these teams. I mean, I think Australia, every single player apart from McSweeney.
Speaker 1: Is over thirty five.
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 1: I think that's what I saw made. No, that's not true.
Speaker 2: Over thirty Macsweeny's the only guy that's under thirty, he's twenty five. And then yeah, the Indians have got you know, lots of old dogs in there as well, you know row It Cooley, Boomera, Ashwyn, you know. Yeah, they've got some old buggers in there too. So yeah, it's going to be interesting. I'm really looking forward to seeing Richard part go berserk and yashas Vijai's while he looked potentially ominous but ultimately wasn't against New Zealand.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I sure he had his moment Stindy and that that series, that five test series starts at the very user friendly time zone for New Zealand three twenty pm on Friday at not the Whacker, I was just about to say the Whacker by default, but the Opus Optus in Perth. Sorry, it's a four test series. Yeah, before they move on there, I think they have a pink ball warm up in Canberra and they play a pink ball test in Adelaide that didn't go so well for India last time out, all out thirty something in that test. Then they go up to the Gabatoire and that series ends with the Boxing Day Test in Melbourne.
Speaker 2: So you've got haven't they got the Sydney They've got the Sydney one in there. I don't think I just don't think it's in our notes.
Speaker 3: I think it is year ye, that New Year's Day test that would make sense my notes.
Speaker 1: And there's a bit of.
Speaker 2: There's a bit of speculation that those first three tests per Adelaide and Brisbane have been set up in that order to sort of try and get just But I think I heard Simon dal saying that this week, which I think is an interesting and interesting theory, they kind of want him to be wrecked by the time. Well, there's speculation, I guess, conspiracy theory, speculation rather than any anything official, that they want him cooked by the time Boxing Day and the STG matches roll around.
Speaker 1: So an interesting thing to watch out for there.
Speaker 2: And probably the biggest decision that India have to make is which spinner.
Speaker 1: They're going to be picking. Do they pack at Jadasia, do they pick an Ashwin? Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see that. Obviously got coolled it.
Speaker 2: The yard ave in there as well, but you'd expect he's a bit of a he's more shitty on the batting front, so so, but yeah, magnificent can't wait to get stuck into that series DC. Just to bring things down the level, Let's have a quick look at the planket shield before we get out of here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, well the planket shield is in full swing now around two is underway and we'll go around the grounds at Seddon Park. This is just from after the first day. Actually, I haven't had a chance to do much of a catch up today, but after the first day at Seddon Park, ND word out for two hundred and sixty eight with Williamson and I have to confess it was a fairly painstaking sixty, but he's still top scored with sixty with the late blooming Jordan Sussex three fifty three and Danrew Ferns three sixty two Auckland were cruising along in reply at Sex and Oval CD just all out for disappointing two hundred and two d cleaver quality start. The season continues with fifty four not out. Camp Paul was the chief destroyer for the Cantabs, taking five to thirty four, and just on a little note, Camp Paul was the son of Justin Paul, who wrote the brilliant essay letter to Israel. We've had Justin Paul on the show to talk about that. Yeah, and you can check out the essay in full on the Bounce Substack newsletter. I'd encourage you to do that. Canterbury, the last I saw about eighty odd for two with Rehys Marry who was not out in the forties and at University Oval, Wellington. We're in a really good position. Three hundred and thirty nine for six Overnight Nickelley one hundred and fifty four, Logan van Beek continuing his fine start to the season for sixty eight. I think they were dismissed relatively quickly this morning three fifty seven, three fifty seven year. I thought it was a bit of a collapse and Otago were doing right. They lost the earlier wik at of Thorn Parks, but I saw Jacob Cumming had scored a few runs. I'm not sure how they're going at the moment, but yeah, just a quick rundown of the Golden Box, which is the award that the BYC gives to the top scoring plunket shield batter for the season. D Cleaver CD leading the way with two five with the two Willingtonians Van Beek and Nick Kelly closely following on one nine to six. The silver Sweatband may have changed a little bit depending on Liam Dudding is doing the CD transplant that's ended up in Wellington this year. Dan rul Ferns though leads away on nine and I think Dudding in Sussex were next at eight, although that may have changed. And just a little bit of a recap here. We had a really messy end to last season, clearly involved Jason Hoyt just not turning up and the studio being refitted, but essentially we went missing as the domestic season concluded. So you might not be aware that last year's winners of the Golden Box was Dale Phillips of Otago was six eighty six, so he's defending champion, with the runner up being Garris Severin of Wellington was six x seven and a special shout out to the for the over forties, Greg Hay nearly stole it actually you can pile six hundred and forty three in his final season for the Mighty CD. What a warrior he was. And the Silver Sweatband winner was Nathan Smith of Wellington with thirty three and the runner up was Otago's Jacob Duffy with one. So I guess it's nice to see that plunkettshield performances certainly, and when it comes to the ball we're being rewarded. So yeah, look, if anyone knows Nathan Smith and Dale Phillips, if you can get in touch with them and get them to send back their trophies so we can get the golden box engraved and the silver sweatband embossed for the new winners if needed. Well, my word, this is embarrassing. Just as we're about to cross over to Pool for his wonderfully can pile Old Violence Corner, which was going to be a nice little warm up for this week's Who Am I, our PC at this end has completely crashed. Just too much good cricket information today, too much for it to handle. So we're going to have to pull the pin there, and we thank you for your patience, We thank you for your listenership. We love having you along for the ride. But it is unfortunately a truncated BYC this week, but we will be back with the full show next week. Thanks for joining us.