Speaker 1: Hilda. I'm Chelsea Daniels and this is the Front Page, a daily podcast presented by the New Zealand Herald. Donald Trump's Liberation Day has felt more like a blood bath for the world economy. The US president last week announced what he called reciprocal tariffs on almost every country on Earth, as well as some islands uninhabited by human life. New Zealand was not as impacted as most, with just a ten percent tariff on our goods imported into the US, but the European Union has had a twenty percent bump on tariffs, while China has received an additional thirty four percent tariff. More than fifty countries have reportedly sought talks with the US to ease these tariffs. But as trillions of dollars are wiped from the US stock market, what does this all mean for New Zealand? They on the front Page. We're sorting through the numbers with Enzied Herald Business Editor at Large Liam Dan. Liam. First off, can you explain to those who are unaware what a tariff actually is? Sure?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean a tariff's just an a tax really at the border on goods coming into your country, and it's one of the oldest forms of taxation in the history of world or human economics. And yeah, it's paid by the importer at the border and adds costs to imported goods, raises money for the government, and imparts an advantage to locally produced goods.
Speaker 1: And what direction does it go in, because that's one of the confusing aspects of this, right, Trump is actually making goods more expensive to US consumers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, he argues that foreign countries will pay. I mean, technically, you know, it's absolutely the case that the US importer pays. They have to fill out a form and it goes to US customs. But what I think Trump means is that he believes the foreign countries trying to sell the goods will bear the cost, which means that if they want to get the goods, and they'll have to lower their prices or the prices will be too high and no one will buy them. So and that respect, it could cost us, and it could cost other countries. If we want to sell the same amount of wine into the US, maybe our prices will have to come down and will have to wear the cost. That's not clear, you know, Like New Zealand sells a lot of Hamburger beef. All our leftover the poor male dairy cows or the ones that you know because they're male, they become hamburger beef. They go off to the US to become hamburgers, and the US needs that. They have a shortage of that kind of beef, and they've been taking a lot of New Zealand and Australian beef for basically for hamburgers. And if they still need that, you know, they're going to have to take it and pay the tariff, and the consumers there will pay the cost. Yeah, it could be split, but it's hard to know for sure, but yeah, there will be there. Expecting costs to go up for US consumers.
Speaker 1: Trillions of dollars have been white of the value of the US stock market in response to the tariffs already. How rare is this market reaction?
Speaker 2: Well, this is pretty bad. I don't know how it's going to go in the next few days, whether you know, there's so much relying on what comes out of the White House. But this is a serious, serious meltdown. This is like, you know, brings back feelings of the GFC. There was a big meltdown when COVID hit a really massive sell off for a few days. But then, of course the government came in with stimulus, and the same with the GFC. Eventually the government comes in and the Federal Reserve comes in to support things. In this case, the government does not coming to the rescue. The US government is the reason that this has happened. So yeah, but it's historic. This is an historic sell off. This is a global market meltdown. The world has changed, you know, a little be in the history books.
Speaker 1: And in terms of what this mimics in years gone by. I mean, you mentioned the GFC. During the GFC, markets essentially crashed by more than what we're seeing at the moment. What will indicate GFC levels within the next few days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting because the GFC was a huge demand shop. It's the fear that takes hold really that causes the problem. The tariffs are supposed to create costs for US consumers, which means that there's inflationary issues, which means interest rates are likely to stay higher in the US, their dollar would go higher. All of that stuff was predicted as an inflationary problem, but the fear and shock when it happened meant that the opposite has happened. The US dollar has fallen in relative terms. US bond yields have fallen, and there's a lot of fear about recession in the US now and that is overwhelming the other bad stuff. So there's two lots of bad stuff here. And the demand side bad stuff is what's really we've seen in the past few days. Whether that stabilizes or who could say. But you know, if we see more retaliation the Chinese have responded, if we see Europe respond with more tariffs, you know, then you have to go back to the nineteen thirties to get a comparison with what's going on. I mean, this is sort of you know, the last time the US did something like this was something called the Smoot Hawley Act in nineteen thirty when they thought, as a response to the big stock market crash of twenty nine that putting tariffs on everything was going to be a solution. And that's famously been talked about and almost you know, universally accepted as a failure in economics, and you know, kids are taught about it in schools.
Speaker 1: Well, Ferris Bueller, isn't it in that movie?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. There's a famous scene in the first Bueller's Day Off for those who are of a certain age and love that movie, where the class is sitting on their board as all hell and the teacher pretty much explains the Smoot Hawley Act.
Speaker 3: In nineteen thirty, the Republican controlled House of Representatives, in an effort to alleviate the effects of the anyone, anyone Great Depression past the anyone anyone the tariff Bill, the Holly Smooth Tariff Act, which anyone raised or lowered, raised tariffs in an effort to collect more revenue for the federal government. Did it work? Anyone anyone know the effects? It did not work, and the United States sank deeper into the Great Depression.
Speaker 2: US kids all over, they've all been taught this. Trump says that's wrong. He has a different view on that, and his advisors have a different view. They think the problem was that the tariffs were taken off from the first place in nineteen oh nine, I think he said, and that the Smooth Hawley Act was too little, too late, and they should have kept the tariffs on. So he's HARKing back to the great days of the late nineteenth century when US had very high tariffs and low income tax what they called the Gilded Age when there was a it was a great time for billionaires. JP Morgan and all that sort of stuff. He's literally saying that's what they want to get back to, those great days of America. Yeah, there's a little bit of skepticism. That would be an understatement. But so there is a lot of lot of fear and panic through US markets about what is actually happening.
Speaker 1: And what does such a loss mean at a consumer level or is this only a concern for investors at this stage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look, we've been through crashes before. It looks horrible when you look at your KEII saver, and it might you know, we're going to have some volatility and it might might get worse. You know, there's no question that there is a risk that things could get worse for consumers, like until you know, in New Zealand it's we sort of buffered a little bit. Our share market is down as well, but it's not our direct The direct tariffs on New Zealand were seen as manageable by economists. The issue for US is what happens to Asia and China and the economies there. And I guess to some extent the US, So it's the demand. So are people still going to want to buy as much of our stuff? Are they going to want to travel here? So it's a risk for tourism. Already we've seen in New Zealand shares fall a lot. There's a risk that it does hit tourism, so that that fragile recovery tourism is just starting to sort of add value to the New Zealand economy again sort of since COVID and that's at risk. We're lucky we sell food. You know, it never goes out of fashion, but it's still you know, when you saw the tariffs were huge on countries like Vietnam and you know, a lot of Thai land, a lot of Southeast Asian countries. China's going to take them on a trade war. There's all sorts of side effects. So it's too soon to say for sure exactly what this will mean. There might be some weird upsides for New Zealand, but overall, the hit to the global economy is going to be felt here. So you know, if global demand is down and global growth is down, New Zealand's going to feel that, and that's going to make our recovery much harder to sustain.
Speaker 1: And it's interesting as well. I mean, there might be some people out there saying, look, what happens in the US stays in the US, and we're in a good position. But if you look back to the eighties, I noticed that when Wall Street crashed that iconic twenty percent, I think dead in the end, and it was the worst crash ever recorded on Wall Street. The New Zealand Stock Exchange, didn't it then not only crash twenty percent, but continue to crash up to fifty sixty percent in the months that followed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. It was a very different stock market in New Zealand at the time. We had we were in a stock market bubble ourselves at the time, and we had a lot of very speculative investment companies and so forth on the market in New Zealand. Now our market is much more of a sort of a slightly boring reflection of the economy. It's got some big retailers, it's got some we've seen, you know, some companies are affected by tariffs. Fisher and pikel Healthcare as one of our biggest companies, and that's affected by tariff's But that gets priced and it hasn't been booming, it's fair to say our New Zealand and inziet X anyway. So yeah, it's coming off in response. There's a bit of fear in markets generally when things crash, but there isn't a reason for it to just just absolutely go through the floor in the same way as there was in the nineteen eighties. A lot of it's more directly tied to how our economy is going. So those retailers are struggling until humors get out and spend again. So that's not great news. If there's just just the amount of uncertainty and that the damage it does to confidence. All of this is not great news in that sense.
Speaker 1: So why is Trump doing this? What's his argument for all of it?
Speaker 2: He seems to genuinely believe that this is a way to get back to a world where US manufacturing is dominant. So obviously, when you take the tariffs away, it's much cheaper to build, you know, the labor is much cheaper in Vietnam or China or whoever to build build the cars and build the phones, and sew the clothes and make the Nike sneakers. So the US has effectively exported out a lot of manufacturing jobs. He's talking about bringing them back, and I suppose that appeals to his base in some of those towns and cities that have been really hammered by the globalization process and seeing the factories shut down. Yeah, I'm personally at skeptical. You know, a lot of his supporters are saying, yeah, we want the factories back, and we want this. I'm not sure that young Americans want to be back in a factory working for the kind of wages. You know, the kind of wages that Americans would expect to get paid for factory work are not going to mean that it's very hard for their goods to be competitive, even with the tariffs, because you know, just such a huge difference between America and the places where they are making this stuff now in America, the previous economic model had been to control the IP, the intellectual property on Wall Street. It sort of controls the financial markets of the world, you know, and Silicon Valley is it's the tech giant of the world, and it's kind of through all. You know, they're big companies. They own the IP and all the money come the dividends all come back but the yeah that the jobs haven't been there. That's Trump's theory, I guess, is to rebuild. He's talking about rebuilding US manufacturing, bringing car making back to Detroit, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, I kind of imagine that the late eighteen hundreds and then the boom time that we're talking about would have been an amazing time for worker riots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't was it was rough right, it was, you know, like they didn't have all the labor laws that came about through the years of the early twentieth century. And that's sort of the kind of world that you're in with some of these other probably poorer countries that have much cheaper labor. So yeah, it's very hard to see the US getting back to that. And as a plan, it even even it looks like a fairly long term plan. So politically, there's going to be some real issues with you know, the idea that they tank the US economy in the short term. Even if he's able to keep selling or he will keep selling this longer term dream of rebuilding manufacturing, it just would take a considerable amount of time to do that, and you know, the political cycles pretty short these days. It's going to be a real test of Trump's popularity. Put it that way, and.
Speaker 1: I mean has put a tariff on the Herd and McDonald Islands, which is only inhabited by penguins and seas and Norfolk Island has received a twenty nine percent tariff despite claiming to have no export relationship with the US. These mistakes, if you can call them mistakes, don't really instill you with too much confidence to they sure.
Speaker 2: I mean a look, to be fair, I've heard that the White House has come back and said, look, they did that because they want to make sure that in this case Australia, which has the sort of the Australian territories, doesn't use them as a loophole because they are separate territory. And I don't know, like the idea that Australia would funnel all its steal exports through you know, Norfolk Island or something. It just seems a bit crazy to me. But that's that's what the White House says was the reason for that. The way that the tariffs are worked out shocked a lot of people, and that's part of what's causing some of the sort of uncertainty and chaos. So they're called reciprocal tariffs, but they literally aren't reciprocal. New Zealand has an average tariff on American goods of about one point nine percent or something, and on the chart that Trump had it said we had a twenty percent tariff. They worked it out just by looking at the trade balance with the countries and countries that had a trade deficit with the US. So we have what the US would call a trade deficit with them. We sold more stuff to America than we bought last year, so about nine billion dollars worth of goods went to America. Well, that was our surplus, and so they just do the maths on that.
Speaker 4: Tomorrow, the United States will implement reciprocal tariffs on other nations. It's been a long time since we even thought of that. We used to think about it a lot. We didn't think about it for many decades, and you see what's happened for nicians that treat us badly. We will calculate the combined read of all their tariffs, non monetary barriers, and other forms of shooting. And because we are being very kind, we're kind people, very kind. You're not so kind when you got ripped off, you my auto worker friends.
Speaker 1: How long could it roughly take for Trump to restart some of the industries that he wants to restart in the US, like manufacturing. You can't just move an entire business to the US overnight, can you.
Speaker 2: Well, this is the issue. It takes time to build the factory, even if companies move very quickly to try and you know, like if Nike wants to repatriate at shoe factories or something like that, that's going to take a lot of time and shifting and changing to the global supply chains. And it's also kind of you know, would you you know, the Trump administration has a habit of negotiating changing policy. Things can change overnight. You know, at what point does the policy become clear and certain enough that these companies can trust that it's worth making these big moves. So yeah, look, probably quite a long time, and probably a longer time than you know, this current political cycle. So for example, you know, use has got midterms next year already, there'll be a huge amount of intense focus on the economy on Wall Street in the coming months, and it would be hard to see how you'd get the upside from a policy like this, even if it worked for several years.
Speaker 1: What do you think New Zealand will or should do in response to all of this. Do we just need to stop buying American products or perhaps look at alternative trading partners, which I know that they're already doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we have to stay a little calm. We are we actually are sitting in a pretty good spot with the tariffs themselves. You know that they're not going to kill trade with the US, so you know, there is a little bit of keep calm and carry on. We certainly aren't going to try and accelerate things and have escalate things and put on our own tariffs because A that would be a risk of coppying more flat back from the US, and B it just doesn't fit with the way our economy works. And we sort of a bipartisan agreement on the idea that we're a low tariff economy, we're an open, free trading economy. And look, the government is already very focused on you know, both both both labor and national over the years, very focused on finding new new trade partners. You know, you've seen Christopher lux and talk a lot about India, and boy, that's you know, that's that's got huge potential and I really hope they can progress that. In fact, this might help them progress that because India has got big problems with huge tariffs going on into the US, so they might be looking around for friends. There may be opportunities there to expand trading partnerships like the CP TPP and other other you know trading you know, multilateral trading agreements we're in. We've got our free trade agreement with China.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Look, you know, New Zealand is quite good at this stuff. We have really great trade officials and diplomats that do this stuff. We've got it being quite flexible. I mean, it's it's it's tough. It's going to be a really tough time, but I think we are well placed to sort of find a pathway through it.
Speaker 1: And looking towards the next few days or even weeks, what should we be be looking out for when it comes to the next global financial crisis? I mean, what are the warning signs, what are the red flags that will be popping up?
Speaker 2: Well, it's all going to play out in real time on currency markets, equity markets, commodity markets. I would say that the big ones for New Zealand will be we'll start to see you the dairy auctions, the commodity prices are going to be an issue. So if it starts to affect global demand for commodities, that could mean less money coming into New Zealand. But then again, you know it is food, so that's that we've got that going for US. I am concerned about what it might do to tourism and the short term for consumers. You know, when you look at things like oil, oil price is absolutely crashed in the last two or three days, so you're going to be paying less to fill up the tank. The New Zealand dollar is actually up in relative terms against the US dollar, and the US barrel price of oil has fallen to sort of levels we haven't seen since you know, the darkest days of COVID, So that's you know, US sixty sixty three dollars a barrel I think, or you know, around sixty dollars a barrel. So yeah, some of these things are sort of deflationary, weirdly in the first instance, or disinflationary, so you know, the economists expect it. It should also start to create inflationary pressure in other places, you know, as other countries put up Tariff's, you know, So you've got basically two forces pushing against each other, these deflationary forces, you know, the demand side, which is the shock that you know, consumers might stop spending because of all the uncertainty, and that's dominating at the moment. And then you've got the inflationary side, the supply side, which is what we know that Tariff's kind of do in the long run, which is pushed costs up. So you know, these two competing forces is say, both not great things, and at the moment it's it's the sort of recessionary demand side stuff that's dominating.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us, Liam, great, no, happy to be here. That's it for this episode of The Front Page. You can read more about today's stories and extensive new coverage at enzdherld dot co dot nz. The Front Page is produced by Ethan Sills and Richard Martin, who is also a sound engineer. I'm Chelsea Daniels. Subscribe to the Front Page on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts, and tune in tomorrow for another look behind the headlines.