Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from News Talk SEDB.
Speaker 2: Yes, welcome back to the Weekend Collective on tim Beverage and this is the Health. By the way, if you miss any of our hours you want to catch up with them, go check out our podcast, some news talks website.
Speaker 3: I'll go to iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Our political hour was interesting talking to former chief of staff for Marco Rubia Matt Terrell, just about the whole Trump win and followed up with a fascinating discussion as well with Morris Williamson. So you can check that out on our podcast. But right now we want you to cause us at the Health aub I eight hundred and eighty ten eighty in text on nine two nine two, And my guest this hour is well, he's well known to the show. In fact, it's quite well known to z B, having spent a bit of time in the airwaves going.
Speaker 3: Back quite a while now. But as Kent John's good, I ken, yeah, we'll be a few years now.
Speaker 2: How long is it since you were a sports sort of.
Speaker 4: Since I was flicked, Since since I was wasn't since this company just urfed me and my colleagues. They just so flagrantly four and a half years.
Speaker 5: Can you believe that?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 4: Yeah, March of twenty twenty, right in the guts of COVID.
Speaker 3: Gosh, time flies, doesn't it.
Speaker 4: And then we came back four or six weeks later and we did a one off now and so I was back in the chair for thirty minutes I think it was, and that was it all.
Speaker 3: She wrote, Yeah, there we go.
Speaker 2: So you as people know you're you're a health than wellbeing coach Kent John'shealth dot co dot nz. But you you've got another gig you've mentioned just before we went on.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to about the new gig, the new job that I've picked up. So I'm working for a health clinic and new market called Autonomy and it's quite a good name, Tim, given that we want you to be autonomous.
Speaker 5: With your own health.
Speaker 4: So the thing, I've said this to you before, and this is my view. The power of health is not in medication. It's not in what the GP says, it's not in what the specialists might tell you. The power is in your own hands. We don't have to get as sick as we are, and most of the chronic health diseases that we might even mention some of them today largely a largely avoidable.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the old radio gag still got it.
Speaker 4: Largely avoidable, preventable, and in some cases reversible. So I've started a new job there Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Would love to hear from people. If you want to come in and have a consultation, coming and have a chat, talk about how you're doing.
Speaker 5: I love to hear from you.
Speaker 3: So people that go to go to see you at this place, what are they looking for?
Speaker 4: There are three types of people who will come into the clinic. There are the optimizers, the real the fitness guys and women who are wanting an edge. There are then people who are not feeling particularly good, something's gone wrong, the middle aged men a lot of the time in their forties early fifties, starting to feel a worried about their worried about their energy levels, a lot of inflammation. The GP may have said, hey, look you need to sort yourself out. And then the third group of people are the people who are sick, who have chronic disease like type two diabetes or obesity or cardiovascular disease, and they need an intervention. So we're working with any anyone who wants to be healthy you, which is a huge percentage of the population by the way. So that's what we're doing. It's hard to get to work with a team. And we've got some wonderful people, some people like minded, same as me, passionate, enthusiastic, it's neat excellent.
Speaker 3: Well, they don't keep you out of mischief.
Speaker 2: Now, what we want to talk about, which sort of ties into that, it is that time of the year. You just feel like creeping up the end of the year, and a lot of people will say they get into be a burnout.
Speaker 3: People feel over committed. There's so many things.
Speaker 2: I mean, you've got schools wrapping up, and exams and kids and Christmas shopping and planning the holiday and all that sort of thing. And actually, we want your calls on this. Do you get burnt out at the end of the year, And if you don't, how do you avoid it? And let's not catastrophize everything. But you know, there are a lot of people sometimes it's some career dependent as well, where there's certain careers where you just feel absolutely bugger at the.
Speaker 3: End of the year. Are you do you get burnout?
Speaker 4: I learned from this a few years ago. I haven't allowed myself to go down that path again. But for me, when I was doing radio breakfast Radio here tim the worst month of the year for me, the hardest month mentally was November. I would always struggle in November because I'd come back from labor weekend. And I now call this the sprint finish. Everyone's sprinting for home. Now we can smell the holidays, we can see the finish line, and we then overload on work, we overload on social commitments at exactly the time, and we're probably struggling on low fuel from what has been a busy off and turbulent year. And so I remember just running into a wall in November thinking, my god, I've still got seven eight weeks to go. I'm so bloody close, and I've still got seven or eight weeks to go. So one year I actually had some leve up my sleeve and decided to take four or five days in November. That was a game changer, really, So it's actually not a bad tool if you've got extra leave and you can if you can, and you can, you can use one, two, three extra days across this month, are you able to do that?
Speaker 5: Just to slow things down a little bit.
Speaker 3: Actually, I it's.
Speaker 2: Also wonder does this I mean, I'm not sure what my social calendar is like over Christmas. It's not hugely busy. Don't could particularly get invited too many places these days. But look, but it's going to too many Christmas parties and all that as part of the burnout.
Speaker 3: I don't know, just accepting every invitation you get to catch up. We've got to go around such and such as even Christmas drengths, and then next such and such we've gotta do this. Is it the partying that wears out?
Speaker 4: I think it contributes. But if you say yes to everything, it's great for the first week or two, and then by week three, week four, heading into Christmas, you're like, oh, another party. It'll be more alcohol, more sugar, more bad food, more late nights, whatever it might be. But I think also tim around people. We've got this intriguing set up here in New Zealand and also elsewhere in the Southern Hemisphere where our holidays align perfectly with the end.
Speaker 5: Of the year.
Speaker 3: Well that seems logical, doesn't it.
Speaker 4: But then we get six weeks off for the school holidays, whereas in the Northern and the likes kids.
Speaker 3: Get six weeks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like kids get six weeks.
Speaker 4: But elsewhere America, UK, Europe, it's not quite that. I think they've got a better balance, whereas in Australasia we've just got this mad sprint to the finish and then I think people collapse into their break, which is not a great thing. And so I've done that, I've been there, I've done it multiple times. I really manage my time now after labor weekend to ensure that I don't get sick like I used to.
Speaker 2: I think there's a simple explanation for them other countries having the holidays at a different time. It's in the northern Hemisphere they do the summertime, I guess, don't they Otherwise they'd be taking six weeks in winter and no one really wants to do that unless you're a keen scaler like me.
Speaker 3: Yes, which I would love.
Speaker 4: But they I don't know if they have them. I don't think they have that mindset of hey, I'm going to sprint as hard as I can and then collapse into a holiday, which is what you see here. So we've talked about burnout on this program before. Burnout rates in New Zealand proper burnout from work number one, but also home life has never been high?
Speaker 3: Right now, what is burnout?
Speaker 2: Because it's a very emotive phrase, it is, so I mean, yeah, what has burnout?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 4: World Health Organization classified burnout only five years ago, which so it's good we've actually got some information now. They've classified it essentially as chronic workplace stress that goes unchecked. So it's chronic stress over time that then is not sorted out, not dealt with, so things get worse and it shows up in a lot of tiredness, fatigue, emotion, maybe lashing out, frustration, doing things that you ordinarily wouldn't do, a lot of maybe a few tears. You're prone to crying a little bit, You're prone to outbursts. You're prone to disliking your colleagues more, you don't feel as productive at work. That can be very real, or it can be perceived. Your colleagues may not even know that. And it also aligns with disharmony, lack of engagement, looking around for work, looking for another job, not being committed to the tasks that you're doing, things that you used to taking your stride now bug the heck out of you little things start to get on your work.
Speaker 5: That's burnout.
Speaker 4: And what we now know too is, of course the financial pressure that people are facing at home to they're now then bringing that to work. So you've got people turning up to work who are highly stressed, highly worried, highly anxious about interest rates, about food prices, and now that's projecting into their demeanor in the office. So there's a lot to think about there, and it gets why is the year goes on because we're running on fumes by November.
Speaker 2: I was actually just reflecting on that when you were talking about what it is, and I think the sign for me when I'm getting a bit and oh, look I do. I do strange hours, so sometimes I get a bit jaded with the overnights too. It's just a couple of nights a week, but it's a weird. It's not enough to do it regularly that you get used to it. So but I've reckoned worked out For me, it's when I've started to develop less patience with the kids and I might snap at them in a way that might make me think I've got to go and apologize once I've calmed down.
Speaker 3: That's my sign.
Speaker 2: But The way I actually do cope with it is I just tell myself that I've I think to me, it's I just forced myself to drop that to do list of things when I really should be looking after them after school, and I think, which is.
Speaker 3: Hard to do. If you've got a lot on your plate.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you've just got that's I think that's the hardest thing for me, and it might be for a lot of other people. If you've got kids and you've got work pressures that you managed to separate the two and as soon as you overlap them.
Speaker 4: That's a real source of stress for me. And we saw that, didn't we in the lockdowns? Great example of how multitasking is so bloody hard and we try and do it. I find myself cognizant of this too and aware of it. Hey, you've got your kids. They're wanting your time, They're wanting your attention. But there's emails that I've got to get to and I wanted to read that article. I've got to make that phone call. What you end up doing is both things averagely. Averagely, I'm not as good at my job over here, and I'm a poorer parent for not putting my time into my kids. But what happens to stress levels when we try and multitask, they just go up?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I want to hear from you I eight hundred eighty ten eighty. Are you one of these people who have experienced or you get burnout towards the end of the and what are you doing about it?
Speaker 3: What have you done about it?
Speaker 2: Or if you're looking for some sort of insight on how to avoid it, we'd luck to hear from you on I eight hundred eighty ten and eighty text nine two nine two.
Speaker 3: Actually, and the other simple question.
Speaker 2: Is is there such a thing as having too much fun towards the end of the year with this do and that do? And we've got to wrap up here and then before you know it, you've been getting boozed a little bit more time than you a little bit more frequently than you should. What's the secret to avoiding the end of year burnout and over commitment? Give us a call eight eight text. Guest is Kent John's from Kent John'shealth dot co dot n Z. We want your calls, get on to it. Back in the May News talk said B this is the health hap. My guest is Kent John's from Kent John's Health. How do you manage yourself towards the end of the year so you don't get the old burnout that everyone talks about. I do wonder, Kent if part of it's I mean, I don't know if this is the right thing to do. But sometimes I think I don't mean denial, but also not buying into the sort of dramatic rhetoric of like you know that everyone's going to experience burnout, almost just refusing to accept It's like, I'm.
Speaker 3: Not burned out. I'm fine, It's just another month, It's just another day.
Speaker 4: If you've got good self awareness and you're good with your and you know how your emotions are going and your value self care, sure you can.
Speaker 5: Manage your way through it and you'll be fine.
Speaker 4: That's sort of I'd probably like to think that's what I do now. Things might change this year, having taken on some more work and juggling a little bit more around the kid situation, I might collapse into Christmas. My god, I hope I don't, and I'll be working hard to make sure that I don't. But I think if you've got really good self awareness, to mean you've got measures in place. This is a great time of the year. It's a great time, but I also know that people there are people out there who are struggling like buggery right now because there's the sprint finish to the end. We're done with public holidays, and our expectations on ourselves and each other ramp up all of a sudden. There's Christmas stuff out there, there's Christmas jingles, there's thoughts of about going to the mall, and we've got to come up with lists.
Speaker 5: We think about all of the things.
Speaker 4: I've got to get this done by Christmas, But do you actually have to actually.
Speaker 2: You know what the other things. I used to be a bit grinchy on Christmas and I don't know. Yeah, no, seriously, I was quite grinchy and I can't work out why. But actually I think that sometimes it's just that whole I don't know what Christmas has. Christmas can bring a whole lot of things to the fore, and you know it's not everyone's Christmas is as a reminder of great things. Often you can be your first Christmas where you're missing, a family member's passed away, all sorts of things, or you've been through some turmoil but I made a decision, and it was probably when I had kids that just to embrace Christmas and just go look, actually, let's not because there are still parts that I go, you know, such and such, just the busyness of the time. But I think there's also a choice there is to just your attitude about it it or is that too? Is it easier said than done. Just love Christmas, turn on the Christmas songs, get out the Mariah carry you know, crack it. I had to look and by the way, as I say that, I had to ask my producer to tie home because she wants to start playing Christmas music now.
Speaker 3: So she's right into it. So I'm like, no, no, no, no, it's not December yet, not December, but you know, changed the attitude around Christmas? Something anything on that.
Speaker 4: Big difference between November the thirtieth listening to a Christmas song and December the firs.
Speaker 2: I reckon, yeah, yeah, she got very excited. On the first of November she played Christmas song. I was like, what the hell are you doing?
Speaker 4: I mean, it is we can wind ourselves up with the frustration of the over commercialization of everything, and hey, it's the first week of November and already the ads are out and you go around and Christmas stock you you could allow yourself to get beaten up by it, couldn't you.
Speaker 3: I think that's what it was.
Speaker 2: I think I was just like, oh, for God's sake, looks it's nowhere near Christmas yet, and you're starting to ram it down our throats and you hear the same ad again. It's like, but then just change it and think. I don't know, it's easier said than done.
Speaker 6: Is it?
Speaker 3: Did your attitude to twist Christmas change when you had kids? I've always loved Christmas?
Speaker 5: Why I am?
Speaker 4: I am aware though we probably started early with the on ramp to Christmas is extended, hasn't it the last few years around shopping?
Speaker 2: And I have to be fair that my wife does look after the Christmas shopping. She enjoys it, and so she has taken that off my you know, the bulk of the Christmas shoping. In fact, it's almost got to a disgraceful stage where I sort of have to say, what have we given?
Speaker 3: The what's centa? Anyway? Well, let's not talk about that, the no go area on radio? What about this? I've got a text here how can you.
Speaker 2: Deal with the end of year burnout when you're one of the staff who has to work through the holidays. Should I plan a holiday for January? In other words, not work through January? I'm guessing I don't know what If you're working right through we.
Speaker 5: Are you working through?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I used to work through.
Speaker 3: Actually i'm doing I'm doing the Breakfast show for four weeks, so I'm actually.
Speaker 5: Quite so what's your plan around leave.
Speaker 3: I'll take some time off after that.
Speaker 2: I usually usually do, but last year we had we did take the whole of summer off pretty much.
Speaker 3: And what I would work.
Speaker 4: Through I would work through the Christmas period and the New Year period year after year after year after year, and then have a holiday mid to late jam And I loved it. I absolutely loved it. And I'm sure it'll be the same for you, Tim. I bet you over that Christmas period when you're in here broadcasting, it'll just feel like things have just been tamped down a little bit. There won't be as many people in the office. It's easy to get a car park.
Speaker 5: It's the commute.
Speaker 4: The commute's not as the commute's not as big things think people are a bit brighter, a bit breezy.
Speaker 5: The weather is better.
Speaker 4: It's the work is not as tough as it can be during the year.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, you generally, But I have to say we're getting off the topic.
Speaker 3: But hosting breakfast is going to be pumping.
Speaker 2: Baby, It's going to be full on and I'm quite looking forward to so actually for me, it's kind of an exciting time, but I'll also be dreading that.
Speaker 5: But if you're working through.
Speaker 4: If you're working through, then clearly your leave is going to be used at another time. But maybe that that would be at this point. Whew, Okay, it's second week of November. I've still got November, December and ulla jaan. Yeah, just being aware of being conscious of when it might be that you get a chance to take a break and what what can you control between now and need to look after yourself because we know that self Kiy is a big one in this part of this conversation.
Speaker 2: The Texas is the second for me is I have this thing called an incredibly laid back and relax personality that doesn't allow me to work too hard and I'm single with no kids. Boom, Well, possibly there is less stress. I know how much kids add to it and tell you what. Let's take some calls.
Speaker 3: Grant good, I yeah, Hello.
Speaker 7: What's your name now?
Speaker 8: Tim?
Speaker 7: That's right?
Speaker 8: Hello?
Speaker 2: Hello, Keno nice, just being smarty, a smart fart because he's a regular.
Speaker 3: Quartending smarty Pete. So there we go, There we go. Hello, Hello, Grant, how are you?
Speaker 7: Yeah? I want to talk to.
Speaker 3: N Okay, I'll sit back. Remember I have the control over who how long you stay here for. You have to be nice.
Speaker 4: He's on the right side of the buttons here, Grant, so be careful, buddy.
Speaker 5: There you go.
Speaker 7: Well, first off for it. Talk quickly. We're talking about work play stress, Kendo. You were worried every time I talk to you. It's been a while. About my one liter of apple juice I used to drink. I drink the fresh up, which is only twenty five percent in one lead of apple juice is seventy or five percent purefied water. So there's only two fifty mills of apple juice a day. And it's fantastic. An apple today in what apple and juice today? Keeps the doctor away again the apple?
Speaker 5: Grant, eat the apple. Don't drink the juice, mate.
Speaker 7: I can't stand eating apples. Anyway, we'll put that on my best Okay, I'm still alive and I still still Tim will tell you I'm his best talkback caller. But anyway, so now we'll work play stress. I'm retired a couple of years now, sixty seven, and I just I don't know whether it was my normal personality. I suppose I would describe themselves as pretty laid back. But I never used to get upset about anything. And he used to drive the other A lot of the other people mad. You know, some problem would have coming in the office and they'd go right in the face and they'd start the you know, the voice would rise and all that sort of thing. I kept telling him, just calm down, you'll be able to think clearer and and everything will be fine. So that's my tip for we've played stress. Soak yourself into completely relaxing. Because you can think clearer, you can actually solve the problems better than when you're under stress and worry about it.
Speaker 5: There is some truth to that.
Speaker 3: We can we can don't worry, be happy. Yeah. In fact, that was quite a song, wasn't it. Do you think he had the answer was that for Williams?
Speaker 5: Bobby mcpherrien.
Speaker 3: Oh that's right, I'm getting muddled up.
Speaker 5: Name another one of his songs. That's the Great Christmas gig pass.
Speaker 3: I'm terrible on who's something? What do you think that's it?
Speaker 4: Don't worry, be happy, choose your attitude grounds Grant, you're still there.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, they I didn't realize you're still talking to me. I'm actually in a car, not in my house of I went for drive on the motorway. The motorways bocked all the way from Mendaria to Ruma Rubber, so I try to find my way back to the Great South Road. I've taken the wrong way and ending out in the country. And on.
Speaker 5: Follow your own advice. Don't follow your own advice. Don't get wound up about the traffic.
Speaker 3: There's good thing you can do about it, hear from your grant. Look, we're happy to take your calls on this eight one hundred and eighty ten eighty. In fact, there is something to that about the choice about burnout, isn't there? They don't worry, be happy?
Speaker 4: Well, sometimes we do wind ourselves up. We absolutely wind ourselves up when we could actually make a choice not to get stressed about things that is for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Another Texas says high I always work through Christmas and Auckland. I take the last week off from January and Auckland Anniversary Day and first week of February off includes Whiteing Day, so eight business days gives me about thirteen days off.
Speaker 3: In fact, I actually feel for the people who have to take that.
Speaker 5: In fact, I wowsed downs. I went down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder if that is part of the stress, is that it's not even for many times, Christmas is not even a time that gives you you have much choice because for many firms, they will make you take time off at Christmas at the time when everyone else is on holiday. If you want to go somewhere accommodation travel, it's order to premium. In fact, if you are lucky enough to be able to work through Christmas, I would say, do the Christmas shifts and.
Speaker 3: Then take some time off when it's a little bit more laid back.
Speaker 5: A lot to be said for that. That's what I used to do it well, I used to have the choice. I'd go through.
Speaker 4: Yeah, year after year after year, I would work through to the back end of January. But I know the point that you're making a lot of companies, a lot of businesses, they have that closed down period. Well, you could suck up a lot of your leave at a time when maybe you don't want to do that. So then it's about having a conversation with your manager or your boss and maybe you're needing to take some unpaid leave later in the year. That might be a choice. Might not be a great financial one, but it might be a good for mental well being choice. And or then being strategic about when you take your leave. Most people only get four weeks a year.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, well I or my leave I take without pay, so that's quite freeing in a way.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 2: Hey, look, the other thing that's we wanted to have a chat about is it's diabetes Awareness month.
Speaker 5: Didn't know that until recently.
Speaker 2: Well a month's a long time, I guess. And if you look there, there's always some awareness month on something every week. But there are some interesting things about diabetes and common myths that it's worth debunking as well. If you had a bit of a look into the whole diabetes thing. Is that's something you do as a health coach? Too right, too right, fantastic for sure.
Speaker 3: It's everywhere. Yeah, it's everywhere.
Speaker 5: Was it one hundred how many?
Speaker 3: How many?
Speaker 5: I was look at the statistic.
Speaker 4: One hundred thousand New Zealanders have been diagnosed with diabetes in the last three years, so it's about forty five new cases every single day.
Speaker 3: That's huge, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Most of them will be type two diabetes, and most of them would be utterly preventable.
Speaker 3: Diabetes Action Month. Actually, there we go. Yeah, that's just a subtle bit of semantics there, which is.
Speaker 4: Well, I like that, I like the fact that it's called action month, okay, But then the question is, okay, what do we do? This was my point around mental Health Awareness Week a few months back to I think we should change it to mental Health Action Week because everyone knows that we have mental health crisis in New Zealand or a mental health emergency. We all know that everyone's aware of it. The question then is, okay, what do we do about it? So at least with this Diabetes Action Month, they're probably trying to be affirmative and proactive and suggest that, hey, there are things that we need to do. But then there's a conflation I think around some of the messaging. If you look at their website, and think about the campaign which is called Don't Sugarcoat Diabetes, and that they are not wanting to demonize sugar.
Speaker 2: Is that actually one of the Is that one of the sort of myths around you know, you get diabetes.
Speaker 3: If you're simply addicted to sugar and all that sort of thing. Is that a myth?
Speaker 2: Or is that actually one of the I mean, I think we should probably trying to avoid having too much sugar.
Speaker 4: I can't see how you can have a reasonable conversation about diabetes without mentioning the fact that sugar is the bad guy in the story.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 5: You can't get away from that.
Speaker 4: So I think we need to be careful if we say to people, hey, sugar vilification is wrong, and eat moderation and all that sort of stuff. I think people actually need to know what they're dealing with. And I think if you looked at alcohol, for example, do we demonize alcohol? It's highly debatable, right, do we demonize it as it glorified whatever? But we know the damage to that from alcohol, and we know that alcohol is poisonous because it's a form of ethanol. And so if you're talking to someone about fatty liver disease, for example, you might actually have to say, look, there's no getting around this. Alcohol is the problem here. It's not you, it's the alcohol. And I think when we're having the conversation around diabetes and other metabolic health problems, it's great to say to people it's not you, it's the sugar. It's the process food that's the problem. So reframe it that way.
Speaker 2: In fact, because there there was an article in the Herald about diabetes and the first myth is that eating too much sugar causes diabetes, and type one diabetes has nothing to do with sugar, apparently, because that is something that's an autoimmune condition that develops.
Speaker 3: I mean, that was the thing.
Speaker 2: That I that's.
Speaker 3: But a confusing thing for people, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Well they've then conflated type one diabetes with type two in that particular article with the New Zealand Herald, and again the issue that I would take with that messaging tem is, hey, let's not overstate the role of sugar when you actually can't overstate it. It's impossible to overstate the role of sugar in type two diabetes, and it isn't It is an issue for people with type one diabetes as well. Because they are under about a very very tight blood sugar control, and so they're having to take in chealin because their pancreas can't create enough, so they're having to take in chelin. Well, if you can, you to spike your blood sugars unnecessarily from eating sugar. That then impacts the ability of the insulin that you then take to do its job. So people with type one diabetes have to be equally as aware of how much sugar they are consuming as someone with type two diabetes, And to be perfectly honest, for anyone that doesn't have diabetes, we should all be aware of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do we know about the because obviously type one diabetes is something that's it's not actually related to weight or lifestyle choices. That's something that's an autoimmune thing, and it seems that you it can appear from birth. I'm not an expert on these things obviously when I'm just looking at the information we got here. But type two diabetes is the one where.
Speaker 4: You can do something about it, doesn't it Process food disease, that's what it's called, is it. Yeah, So type two diabetes is essentially an intolerance to carbohydrate, to process carbohydrate. It's an intolerance. So you develop type two diabetes over time.
Speaker 2: Have you had many people you've had to come to see you because they're sort of been given that message they need to change a few things because that at risk of type two diabetes. Because of the risk of it, you can foreshire changes, can't you?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: I mean the world over now people there are thousands and thousands and tens of thousands, ten of cases of people who have reversed their type two diabetes. It's utterly reversible, and it's preventable. And it's called processed food disease for a reason because sugar and process food is the number one cause of type two diabetes unless you're very, very unfortunate, and there's a genetic component.
Speaker 3: That's type one, isn't it well, Well.
Speaker 4: Even people with type two, but a tiny, tiny percentage of people can pick up type two diabetes from genetics. Team it is largely dietary related and lifestyle related illness, and it's preventable. And so the question then becomes what is driving the type two diabetes, And it's things like inflammation, glycation, and stress and a problem within called in chillin resistance, so that drives the type two diabetes. Okay, so what drives those things? Well, it's lifestyle related in diet is the number one cause.
Speaker 2: But we take your cause on this is if you have, if you've had to deal with diabetes, or if you live with it, how are you managing it? But also if you've, if you've been at risk of it, have you managed to sort of defeat it. I do know a few people have actually been given some pretty strong warnings about diabetes that if they continue the way they're going, and they've actually not that where Neither either of us are doctors in terms of giving advice on how to avoid it, but we want to hear your stories about it as well because it is Diabetes Action Month.
Speaker 4: My point, Tim is that we can't minimize the the issue around sugar and its contribution. There's no point minimizing it and trying to just put it to the one side. Well, it might contribute, it might not. Don't worry about sugar too much. No, we need to be absolutely conscious about how much sugar we are eating because it is affecting and hurting far more people than alcohol and cigarettes combined. Because we all eat that's why.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we're also taking your calls if you've got If you're looking at this time of the year and you're thinking it's getting into the silly season, it's not quite the silly season, it is it. It's getting pretty close. What are we about? Seven weeks to Christmas? Have you ever gone through burnout? But what do you do to try and make sure that you don't let the holiday season stress get to you? Give us a call on eighty text too, it's twenty two five News Talks.
Speaker 3: He'd be seven. Oh, there's a bit of a cure for burnout, isn't it? A little bit of Dolly and Kenny Islands on the stream. Guest is Kent Kent John's from Kent John's Health. Let's take some calls.
Speaker 6: Roger High Yeah, good look. I've twice been diagnosed with two diabetes, once when I was forty, and you know, I sort of embarcked on the course of changing my diet and doing a lot of exercise and reversed it then and now I'm sixty three, and about six months ago, I mean probably for the last i'd be fair to say I for the last year, and so I felt like I was just fort to you know, through stress and things. Just been eating whatever I wanted, you know, quite quite bad, really a lot of a lot of sugar and stuff like that. And again I've been on a on a pretty pretty strict regime. I find I've got to either be I've either got to be sort of one hundred percent spector or I'm just off the rails. There's not much moderation for me. And again, my my numbers have come right down, you know, so I definitely think it's it's it's possible for most people, you know, not all like you said before, but most people, if they if they change their diet, cut out the sugar, probably cut out a lot of the fat as well, because because you know, the sugar is sort of is bad, but your body doesn't deal with the sugar so well. If you have if you have been having a high fat diet as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's the standard American diet, high fat, high sugar, and the fat generally is not the problem to the problem is that fat carries a lot of calories and the body doesn't know what to do with those calories because it's having to deal with the sugar. That's great, though, to hear Roger and that's encouraging stuff. That what he's been able to do is to put in to practice those self care mechanisms tim And it probably is for Roger that he's just his ability, his metabolic ability to withstand sugar is probably very low.
Speaker 5: So some of us.
Speaker 4: Can tolerate a lot of rubbish food before we get sick. Some of other people can only tolerate a very little amount before things start to go haywire. So it's good for Roger that he's got that information on board.
Speaker 2: By the way, you can't go to Diabetes Action Month for DOT or DOT in Z and you can actually fill out a quick questionnaire as to whether you're at risk of diabetes. And it's actually quite a useful little questionnaire because it helps you sort of identify or maybe that's the thing I ticked that box maybe for exercise, but more I'll be all right, because it's basically says, do I am I physically active and I have away from my height?
Speaker 5: All those certainly helps if you're physically active.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The battleground is food.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just like any other chronic disease that we can talk about, the battle ground is food.
Speaker 3: Right, Let's go to some more calls Greg, Hello, yeah, good, fel good.
Speaker 8: Here you go, Hello, yeah yeah good Yeah. I'm just I'm just queering. What's there is classic coke and no cake?
Speaker 3: Oh, coke zero? You mean all that stuff?
Speaker 8: Yah knows well, it used to be, but now it's no sugar, no sugar.
Speaker 4: Coke's it's a It's a better but still poor choice, Greg, because of the response in the body to the sweetness that the body anticipates sugar. So and if you have a one mouthful of coke zero or Pepsi max or whatever, it's super sweet. The body says, sugar's coming, Sugar's coming, Sugar's coming, So it loads up, gets ready to go, produces a whole lot of inchellin the sugar doesn't turn up, but your metabolic health will suffer because of it. There's a guy called doctor Robert Lustig in the United States. He's a terrific follow and he talks about these drinks, and he is an absolute guru on metabolic health. And he said, five years ago they probably didn't know enough as to talk about the toxicity of sugar free drinks. Now they do. They're about half as toxic as a regular coke, about half about half as bad, but it's still bad.
Speaker 3: Depends on the type of sweetener.
Speaker 2: There's something about the stevia versus aspartamine or something I can't remember, but I.
Speaker 8: Didn't like to see you yet. Scrap.
Speaker 4: We we don't know enough yet to mister how that impacts our gut health.
Speaker 2: I always just think, just have sparkling water. Always feels like you're having something festive.
Speaker 4: Anyway, sugar free drinks lead to inflammation. They lead to all sorts of problems, even though they are truthfully a better choice.
Speaker 3: Okay, right, let's take some more calls.
Speaker 2: Adam High, Yeah, hey, how are you get am?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 9: Guys, Yeah, I just thought i'd call it done. Interesting a long time listen their first time caller. But I was diagnosed with that one percent mitochondrial genetic diabetes two years ago.
Speaker 6: It's been a bit of a journey since then.
Speaker 9: As a you know, generally a fit, active five year old always sort of lendered what was wrong with me with myself in earlier days, you know, I used to get real lot headed, shaky. But yeah, I've been on a bit of a journey. So I got diagnosed two years ago. So I'm not sure whether it fits into TIP one on type two, but I do take insulin in the evenings and repid insulin when.
Speaker 8: The blood spike.
Speaker 9: But yeah, it's a bit of a tough journey, I must say.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh thanks for telling us about that. How do you think you're coping? Are you going all right?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, not too bad.
Speaker 9: It's you know, I'm seeing specialists and also going through like the public system. So the glucose monitoring device that's just been funded from the first of October is a life changer room, I say, because you know, you know exactly what foods and what drinks you know work and don't work. So I think that's a bit of a miracle that that was funded for type ones, but also for the genetic you know percentage of the population that unfortunately Gondon as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and do you have to pay close attention to to mark us on a daily basis and also your HbA one C level.
Speaker 9: Yeah, every three months, every three months. So the HBO A one C I'm still not perfect made on sixty one, which you need to be obviously under forty. But yeah, it's pretty tough. I must say. You know, I run a lot. I'm fitting a very fat and active. But yeah, it's not as easy I think, just saying that, you know, you need to stick to low carves, low sugar foods, because yeah, it's pretty broup, especially if you're on the run. You know, there's not that many options out there all the time. Yeah, yeah, And I'm just wondering, yeah, like, did you do you have any other cases that you know you might know of yourself from that mitochondrial and a younger you know, younger age demographic.
Speaker 4: No, I can't say I have come across this at personally or individually. The people that I've coached have all been either type just a classic type one diabetic on unshillin or type two and they then get their HbA one C to come down more often than not just through dietary intervention. You're your body function, your metabolisms probably giving you a real real challenge.
Speaker 5: Hey, by the sounds of.
Speaker 9: It, yeah it is. But to be honest, I felt the best I've ever felt in the last two years, which doesn't quite make sense, but it does now because you know, I'll cut out bears completely. Here you go in the low card bears and change the gin I say.
Speaker 3: Right, sideways, move good on Adam. Hey, thanks for you co mate. We've got to head to a break just quickly.
Speaker 2: If you are what would be the signs that would make because you generally need to go to a doctor, get to get referred for a blood test or whatever the testers for diabetes, wouldn't you.
Speaker 5: If you don't go and get yourself a blood test.
Speaker 4: I would recommend that once a year go and get a warrant of fitness and then ask for a blood test.
Speaker 3: See the dot for the warrant fitness.
Speaker 4: Get the warrant fitness from the nurse and the doctor. But then you're also entitled to go and grab a blood test whenever you like. And if the doctor queried that, you just say, hey, I want to know what's going on here. I'll look after myself, So you go and get your blood test as often as you can to. Symptoms would be inflammation, poor sleep, poor skin, terrible energy levels, weight gain, feeling bloated, all sorts of different things.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Actually, if you concerned about your health and if you're worried, it's always good to talk to a health professional. Yeah right, we'll be back in just to ticket's eight and a half minutes to five News talks, he'd b news talks HEADB. This is a health HABITM beverage. My guest is Kent John's. We're talking a little bit about diabetes and also burnout. Time for one more quick call, Karen.
Speaker 7: Hello, Oh hi, how are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good? How you Karen?
Speaker 5: Good?
Speaker 7: Good?
Speaker 6: Good.
Speaker 10: I had a neighbor who was diabetic, and I said to him, do you want to get rid of your diabetes? And he said yeah. So I told him what to do to fast. He did the five two diet and then he went back to his doctor one month later and his doctor didn't said he didn't need medication anymore. And then within one month he was off all meds his diabetes and his doctor was shocked. They said, what did you do? And he said, I fasted because when you fast, you reduce your insulin, which then gets rid of your type two diabetes.
Speaker 2: Probably always best to get a bit of a bit of I mean, generally you get a bit of advice from your doctor one what you should do, wouldn't you Yes?
Speaker 10: Yes, So I did tell him to go to his doctor, and you know, but he that on him. He decided not to and he just said it himself and within one month, he was off all medications to type the diabetes because by fasting, you reduce your insulin, which then reduces because if you get if you reduce your insulin, your diabetes would disappear. That's type two I'm talking about. Because of causes is high insulin.
Speaker 3: Good stuff.
Speaker 4: You're getting the insulin down as absolutely essential to him. So that's that's a great story. Care And I've heard this many, many, many times two Tim is that doctors will go, wow, how did you do this?
Speaker 5: And the person has just changed what.
Speaker 10: Even I was very close to pre diabetes, but because of my fast thing, I avoided it and now my bludge was the thirty eight good stuff.
Speaker 2: Karen, Hey, thanks so much for your core. Gosh, time flies and you're having fun. Kent John's Health dot cod.
Speaker 4: At n zed or give us a shout at the Autonomy Clinic. Tim come on and say good ay, we'd love to see you.
Speaker 3: Excellent. The Smart Money with Martin Hawes is next. News Talk z B.
Speaker 1: For more from the weekend collective, listen live to News Talk ZEDB weekends from three pm, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio