Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Sport podcast with Jason Vine from News Talks EDB. The only place for the big names, the big issues, the big controversies and the big conversations.
Speaker 2: It's all on Weekend Sports with Jason.
Speaker 1: Vine and the DQ seven Dynamic Black Runout edition on Youth Talks EDB your home of sport.
Speaker 3: Hi Beck, You're to good afternoon. Welcome in to the Sunday edition of Weekend Sport on News Talks ed by August nine, Happy birthday to my Dad. Happy eighty eighth birthday to Rod Laver. Happy one hundredth birthday to News Talks EDB. On August the ninth, nineteen twenty six, the ZB call sign was heard for the first time. Today and across August, we celebrate one hundred years of ZB, both on the air and online. We're going to mark the milestone in sporting terms. After two chat to our greatest ever Olympian, Dame Lisa Carrington about her career to date. In the future, she's about to become a mum, but still has eyes firmly on the twenty twenty eight Los Angeles Olympics. Also going to bring back the most iconic voice in sports coverage here on News Talks EDB the door. Yen of Radio Sports Broadcasting Murray Deeker is going to join us this afternoon as well, and across the show, I'd like to relive some of the great sporting moments of the last century. Keen to hear yours as well. Text them in nine two ninety two your greatest sporting memories of the last one hundred years. Former All Blacks captain Sam Kin going to lead us off today talking All Blacks v. South Africa and how we can beat them. Also a new concussion initiative that he's involved in Sam Caine. First up, there's a ran Furley Shield challenge and to need in this afternoon. Otago put the log on the line against Canterbury who they took it off last year. We'll get you inside the Otago camp and also in the Deep South the National Basketball League Final and in UGG a repeat of last year, Southland Sharks Wellington Saints going to cover that off as well. Please join the show at any time. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the phone number nine two nine two for your text messages and in particular your best sporting moments. From the last one hundred years emails into Jason at Newstalk SEDB, dot co dot enz just got nine past midday.
Speaker 1: Pre one matters in Sport. We can sport with Jason Vine and the Audi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout Edition available at your local Audi dealership.
Speaker 2: News Talks v Well.
Speaker 3: If anybody understands the cauldron and the physical nature of rugby tests in South Africa, it is former All Blacks captain Sam Kain.
Speaker 4: Aaron Smith Nice over the head pass from Barrett for Will Jordan right hand side of the park is the skip up Sam Kaine, right hand side the All Black school. At first try and look how much it means to them.
Speaker 3: But Sam Kaine also knows better than most the physical toll elite rugby can take. And now the former All Blacks captain and one hundred and five match All Blacks loose forward is lending his support to a New Zealand developed initiative aimed at improving the way concussion is managed at every level of the game. He has become an ambassador for hit Kit, a rapid response concussion kit created by concussion specialist and founder of the Headache Clinic Helen to FUI to help players, coaches, and families navigate the crucial first seventy two hours after a suspected head knock at any level of the game. Sam King's with us. Good afternoon, Sam, Thanks for your time, mate. What was it about hit kit and helen to Fui's work that made you want to get involved?
Speaker 5: Hey, Pini, thanks having me on. You summarized it all pretty well there in the intro. But the reason I wanted to get involved, and it was purely just because I saw the work. I saw what she had created and literally just flipped a message and said, well done, I'm right imagine this is going to have a really positive impact on the community game and good on you for creating it. And she messaged back saying thank you. Would you like to be involved in helping get it out there? And I just thought, yeah, it's a great opportunity. You know, I'm happy to do my partner help try and promote it and get it out there and hopefully you get to a stage where sort of every rugby team in New Zealand, right from junior foot all the way up, has one on the sideline in case something happens.
Speaker 3: Throughout your rugby career. How much did your understanding of concussion change from when you first started playing to when you well, I mean you're still playing, But how much has it changed across your career.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's changed a lot, for sure, and it will change a lot in the next ten years too. I think even from when I started out, there was still protocols in place, but just our level of understanding of it has increased massively, and I think there's been real positive steps in the professional game. And we are lucky because we've got medical experts on hand to help us and navigate the recovery process and make sure we're fairly well looked after. But get the community game often rely on volunteers and parents to do their best, and the kit just allows them like peace of mind with some real clear guidelines around what to do.
Speaker 6: And that's all you.
Speaker 5: Want for those semi two hours is to know that you've done everything you can to he upset someone up for a full recovery.
Speaker 3: It's a physical sport, it's a contact sport. That's the attraction for a lot of people who get involved in it. How difficult is it as a player to admit that you've taken a knock to their head when your instinct is just to stay on.
Speaker 5: Well, I think there's two different knocks. If someone's taken a bad one, sometimes they're not actually aware that they're not quite right, and that's where you you do rely on teammates, you know, people on the sideline to pick those sort of things up. And then there's other knocks where you're not sure or you always you say you do know you're not quite right, but you know part of you may want to try and carry on, and it's it's almost an embedded into the rugby culture over years. You know, like if you're a little bit injured you can still play on, then stay on from back in the days when you know a player would never go off and give someone on the bench an opportunity. When it comes to hid knock, the bravest and the most grateous thing you can do is put your hand up and say no, I'm not quite right and take yourself off. Because we know from studies it's like one taking a knock is one thing, but it's to take two blows in one game can can be a lot worse. So look, there's been twice think in my career where I've taken a knock, tried to play on for a couple of minutes and realized I'm not quite right and put my hand up and taken myself off the field.
Speaker 3: Yes, Do you think attitudes among players have changed, have genuinely changed or is there still a bit of a tendency to as you say, of you know, I'm okay, I've taken ahead, I'll play on. Do you think there's still a tendency to downplay concussion symptoms in some areas or has there been major improvement.
Speaker 5: There's definitely been major improvement. Like it's really hard to speak on behalf of everyone, but I know a lot personally my attitudes towards it, certainly in the probably second half of my career, having seen teammates have had to retire from it. And then, yeah, I suppose I'm a sort of bit of a low key advocate, Like if I see someone take a knock, I'll be one of the first to check in and make sure they ride or alert someone from the sideline. So I think it has change. It It's always difficult because some players are at different stages of their careers. They might be playing for an opportunity they've just got an opportunity or playing for a contract with all these sort of things, and that's where things can be harder for some people. But the more education that we've got out there, the more awareness and we create around it, then hopefully we'll continue to trend in the right direction.
Speaker 3: I know every parent listening and you're probably the same. You know, you want the best for your kids and you don't want to put them into into potentially perilous situations, but you want them to get involved in sport, and rugby is a massive part of our sporting culture. Parents I know can sometimes struggle with the decision of whether their child should even play rugby or return to the sport after they've taken a knock. What is your message to rugby mums and dads.
Speaker 5: Well, it's such an amazing sport. Well, sport in general is great, but the camaraderie that you get from rugby, the all the life lessons you learn, like there's you could go mountain biking, you know, all these different supports and there's always an element of risk and you know that and that's part of it what makes it fun also as well. But I think when it comes to the concussion where people shouldn't be scared off by it because a large number of cases suffering a concussion, as long as that's treated well, it's like any other injury your body will make a can make a full recovery. And that's the importance of the hit KAT is that the first seventy two ours is really important. There's clear guidelines and if someone does stuff for a concussion and you look after them well, then there's no reason why they won't make a full recovery. So although it's never nice seeing a concussion or someone affected by a blow like that, it's it can as long as it's treated, then there's a good chance everyone makes a full recovery. I'd hate for it to be the reason it scares people off, because the risks that are involved are far outweighed by the benefits and the growth that someone is likely to get as long as they fall in love with the game, that's the main thing. As a perio, I just want my kids to be able to fall in love with something a sport, an activity, or hobby and just really really go after it. And if their kids, if that's rugby for their kids, then yes, there's risks involved. Absolutely, but there's so much, so many benefits as well.
Speaker 3: Well said Mate, well said, and Kit, I think it's going to have a huge, hugely positive effect, as you say, on the first seventy two hours after a head not mate, while I've got your speaking of physical challenges in South Africa, the All Black's over there at the moment you played them sixteen times I think in test matches, were they genuinely the most physically challenging for you?
Speaker 5: He probably consistently the most physically challenging. I mean, like we had periods the earlier in my career, we had some really good wins over them, you know, like that, so they're not I think that at the start of the games, like what the All Blacks are trying to play, getting back to sort of our world call our rugby DNA, a little bit of faster tempo and trying to bring a bit of fatigue back into the game. The sound friends are like anyone to say, say, get a bit of fatigue, then the physicality drops off as well. So a key a key for us, I think, and hopefully the officials allow a free flying game one of obviously, I guess the saums wasn't like that, so it doesn't really allow the fatigue to creep in quite the same. But yeah, there physical budget a lot even you know, just yeah, kia human that's again, aren't they And it's as those close quarters you know, collectively, size does matter. So yeah, it's a good challenge though, like I used to love playing cert Aficans, there's.
Speaker 3: Always this talk about playing at altitude as well, you know, we've got to play at altitude that's going to be has to be a lot harder, is that true?
Speaker 5: It is a lot harder. Absolutely. It's the first time you play there, I reckon that really catches you off guard because you've never experienced anything like it. You feel unfit, Yeah, throats burning, and you're just wondering if you're going to be able to get through. But it's like a thing hard once you've done it once before, you push through, you know what you're capable of. So I experienced a few times both that almost quite enjoyed playing there because you knew it was going to get hard, but you knew you could push through. And it's not. Well, the South Africans are immune to outsitude either. There's only a small group of them that actually live at altitude. You know, a lot of them don't even live in South Africa these days, play there rugby in Japan or around the world. So I don't personally, I don't see it a big, big advantage to them playing at outitude, And if anything, it may allow a little bit more fatigued to creep into the game in the sort of the last ten minutes of each half. And you know, as all boats were try and back ourselves and to execute in those moments when keep going. So yeah, it's hard, but as lively.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you were part of a lot of memorable All Blacks ones in South Africa. Here at World Cups, is there one performance, one All Blacks performance that sort of stands out as the blueprint for how to beat them? Particularly over there.
Speaker 7: Perhaps we had a lot of year You're right, we had some really good wins and a lot of them involved.
Speaker 5: Some of them were at Alice Park, which is at altitude. We'll probably the most of the ones that stick outer at altitude actually, and the same thing, like you'd finished the game, or we'd have photos and the theme room of previous teams and we'd acknowledge teams that had gone before they'd finish the game and just pure exhaustion, like guys, hands on knees, crouched over and just reminds you of how deep you have to push yourself to win there. But I bit to your question around the blueprint, it's as if we're it's if we're able to move the ball. As you said, that bigger a little bit, bigger bodies, So if we can keep them, keep them moving, keep the ball in play, minimis of downtime. And I think that that plays into our hands a little bit, a little bit of variation with how we play our kicking game. If the deep the defense is coming up hard in the midfield, we've had a bit of success with some kicks in behind. So yeah, up teno the blueprint, I think, But it's a Reliza webent on the officials as well.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, you're right there, you're right there. How's everything going in Japan? You enjoying it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Yeah, it's been good. It's a soft season at the moments back in New Zealand, but you head back in about three weeks to start pre season and we're at three and a half months of pre season in the heat. But yeah, one more year on my contact over there, and we'll see we might be certainly getting closer to the end.
Speaker 3: All right, we'll keep tabs on that. I've kept you from your family for long enough. Sam, Congratulations on your involvement in hit Kit. I know it's going to have a hugely positive impact on a lot of families around the country. Thanks for joining us, made always good chat.
Speaker 5: Thanks finally, thanks for thanks for giving me on to chat about it. As you say, I think it can really do some awesome stuff and hopefully in sort of five years time, it's one of those things that's sort of up there beside the first aid kits for most families. So yeah, thanks mate, No.
Speaker 3: Thank you, mate, Sam kan joining us on News TALKSB and Weekend Sport. Hit Kit is a rapid response concussion kit developed by concussion expert Helen Tofui, designed to support the critical first seventy two hours after a head injury at any level. In the kit, there is a step by step recovery guide for days one to three, a concussion red flag checklist, an instant ice pack, a rapid absorption supplement, and a mini wound care first aid pack. All of that is in hit Kit. It's only forty bucks. I mean that's pretty good value, right, pretty good value. Hit kit dot en z is where you find out more hit kit dot en z. Great to have Sam Kaine as navigated. Incredible was, isn't it? You just saw Helen to Foy's post about I thought I'll just flicker and O and say congratulations, and all of a sudden he's an ambassador and an advocate. Not a bad guy to have on doing doing that. Sam Kaine is also our lines open by the way O eight hundred and eighty ten eighty, as though always are. Sam Kaine is also they're giving us the blueprint for beating the spring box. Just run them around, run those big buggers around, get them tired, induce fatigue. That's how we do it. And thankfully, Dave any strategy is based on that. Optimism has been the catch cry, hasn't it for Dave Renie's All Blacks, Quick rock ball, moving it through the hands, getting it wide, finding space. As Sam mentioned there, and he can perhaps do this now that he's not on the All Blacks. It does rely a little bit on the officials, and yesterday in the two opener, there wasn't exactly an officiating team that wanted the game to flow necessarily in that game. I think that's fair to say. Hopefully it'll be better in the Test matches. But I feel after hearing Sam Kane talk one hundred test All Black former captain talk about how you do it and he won a lot of Test matches over there. I crunch the numbers on Sam Kine ahead of that interview. He played against South Africa sixteen times, won ten of them, and seven of those games he played against them more in South Africa and he won four, so he was more often a winner in South Africa than he was on the losing side. I feel a lot more optimistic. How optimistic do you feel about this upcoming Test series? Yesterday we spoke about it about yesterday's game. We can touch on that but tonight at around ten o'clock. The side to face the Sharks in Durban Wednesday morning is named by Dave Rennie, so we'll have I think it will almost completely changed side. We'll find out now. I think we can all pretty much name it the shadow side for these Test matches. That's what he's going to put out against the Sharks in Durban on Wednesday. So if you want to kick around the rugby we can oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty nine two nine two is our text line. You can also send through your favorite sporting moments in the last one hundred years. As ZEB celebrates its one hundredth birthday Today twelve twenty six lines open back with your calls. Next on Weekend Sport.
Speaker 2: The scoreboard only tells half the story.
Speaker 1: Piney tells the rest Weekend Sport with Jason Vine and the out e Q seven Dynamic Black Runout Edition Test Drive Today News Talks eNB.
Speaker 3: Twelve twenty nine on News Talks Ebagetti calls in a moment, But as we celebrate one hundred years of ZEB, we're remembering some of the great moments of sport from the last century. Three Rugby World Cup wins for the All Blacks nineteen eighty seven in Auckland.
Speaker 8: The game is all over and the All Blacks have won this match against the franch by twenty nine points to nine, and the All Blacks become the first holders of the William Ware Allis Trophy.
Speaker 3: The Rugby World Cup.
Speaker 8: They are supreme in world rugby. Let's have beaten France in the final.
Speaker 3: Here John Macbeth on the call there twenty eleven in Auckland.
Speaker 9: The game is over.
Speaker 10: New Zealand nights France seven New Zealand.
Speaker 4: The Rugby World Cup Chapions top.
Speaker 11: Two thousand and eleven.
Speaker 3: Nigel Yolden that time PJ. Montgomery was on the sideline with Graham Henry afterwards in the World.
Speaker 9: Cup beater to be already tapped in it.
Speaker 2: So that's a huge game of rugby.
Speaker 11: And now guys am just hanging there into the business.
Speaker 10: And what did you think when you had to put Donald on?
Speaker 11: Goodness gracious?
Speaker 2: Then he play well.
Speaker 10: The atmosphere down here on the floor of Eden Park.
Speaker 3: Is quite extraordinary.
Speaker 10: I've been on the touch line for many many years now but experience nothing.
Speaker 3: Like this PJ. And then of course twenty fifteen at Twickenham with Nigel back on the mic.
Speaker 12: Bolly to Bill, Bill trying to get to the outside, cuts it back.
Speaker 11: Let's take it.
Speaker 4: Bit Smith, Smith steps still stepping bit Smith.
Speaker 13: Now he tucks the foot race.
Speaker 12: Bonet parrot, bonet parrot.
Speaker 11: Does it set up? He tries to tow it on that that's up. There's no try that tries the World.
Speaker 10: Cup winner bone it parrots turnover ball.
Speaker 11: Oh blacks linked in the field, rap it up, but a bow on it?
Speaker 9: World Chump's coming back?
Speaker 12: Did you fail it?
Speaker 3: Oh not? It's so good, so good. The goose bumps from back then, absolutely brilliant. Just a couple of texts on the concussion situation before we go to the lines mass power at Piney. This is a million miles away from my playing days, where all we had was smelling salts and it was a badge of honor to carry on playing. And it was funny you couldn't remember half the game. I'm glad things have changed. Me too, mus me too. Get a Piney says this one. If I'm not sure if you're wanting a full debate on concussion, but there is some pretty clear evidence that's been done, or clear evidence based research that's been done that states CT is caused by numerous non concussive head knocks. Rugby, NRL football, NFL all have an issue. Because of the number of non concussive hits a player gets from the ages of ten to eighteen, it means they're already well down the path by the time they make it into the big time. Yeah, it's certainly an issue. Certainly an issue to deal with. Lines are open on news talks here B twenty eight to one. Get the Chris.
Speaker 14: Yeah, mate.
Speaker 15: One of my favorite sport memories is Team New zeal And picking up the Ausies where they're boat sank.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes that yeah, the boat that just sunk to the bottom, didn't it in that America's Cup regatta. Yes, that's right.
Speaker 15: You know, after them doing us the under them, we came around and we picked them out of the water like the gentlemen we are.
Speaker 3: It's a good point. I would hope that they would have done the same to us we had these issues. Was that two thousand and three from memory when when our mast broke and they would trying to bail water out of our boat. I think I've got the year right anyway. Yeah, No, it's a good memory that the one of us helping the Aussies out is a better memory.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Absolutely.
Speaker 15: And also about the rugby, I'd be happy overall if we managed to get like a two to two result because we are going to South Africa. I've got two very good spring Box fifteen sides. We've got a good solid one and then we've got another bunch of guys developing.
Speaker 17: So if we.
Speaker 15: Could squeak a two to two result out of there and then get through the midweek games, I think that would be a win for us going into the next World Cup.
Speaker 3: I agree, Chris, I agree, and certainly I think if we can, if we can leave South Africa after three tests with the series alive, like I feel like Baltimore might be more of a leveler in terms of the fact that it's well in Baltimore, not at altitude at Alice Park or in South Africa. Look, I Chris, I'd take two too right now. I see that on the air last week and I had a lot of people say, oh, you know that's you know, that's not an All Black's way of thinking. But if you whiten the scope out as you have to next year's World Cup, if we have a two to two series result against South Africa, just over a year after the Rugby World Cup, I'll be very happy.
Speaker 16: Absolutely, let's over.
Speaker 3: We can, but hope we can. But hope, Chris. Great to hear from you, And like I say, Sam, listening to Sam Kaine, I don't know, he just gave me a bit of a boost, you know. Former All Blacks captain you take a lot of what he sees with a huge degree of credibility behind it. He knows how to win over there. It sounds simple, doesn't it. Run the buggers are out, get them tired, because we often, you know, I guess, fall into the trap of thinking what we have to do over there is muscle up to South Africa and sort of, you know, beat them at their own game. And a couple of people have pointed out to me that actually yesterday's all black scrum, the pack was heavier than the stormers, So yes, you do have to have big men, and yesterday, with the likes of Fabie and Holland and Simon Parker involved in the front rowers as well, we did have a big pack, but the scrum was perhaps a bit of a work on yesterday. So it's not just the size, the sheer size. I want to see that ball move through the hands royguard Love, Barrett to Pyre, out to Jordan and McKenzie and whoever plays on the left wing, Clark or maybe moreby maybe Carter. Let's move the ball, Let's move it quickly. That's the recipe, fell, isn't it Run the buggers around? Mate?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 18: I reckon Pony, I reckon the big boy soon gets pretty tired when he's got to do a bit of running for a long period a time. Agree, if he gets hold of you're in trouble. But if he can't catch you, right, that's.
Speaker 3: Right, that's right.
Speaker 11: How are you?
Speaker 3: How are you feeling? I'm not sure we've spoken about the spring Box All Blacks test series. You and I. Would you take two too?
Speaker 16: Yeah?
Speaker 18: I would actually like Yeah. I was just starting to Andy. I tried to get through last week. I was so busy and yesterday but it was just so busy because yeah, I've been wanting to have a chat to here just on my general views as well, if that's all right as well. Just on the way the all Backs are God and Dave. Ready, just before I do pointy, I just a quick one because I said to Andy, if you were okay with it?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 19: Good.
Speaker 18: On the Warriors I watched on Friday night. It was good to see and they I haven't clearly pulled out a bit of magic there for a while, but they stuck in there and held in there. And I do like cooks cook staff at fall Back.
Speaker 3: I think, Yeah, Nicole Kluk start yep, yep, I loved them there. I liked them there as well. Yep I did too.
Speaker 18: Yeah, because I get a bit hard to remember the names to pronounce them. But and Dylan as well, I've always been a great, always a mighty. He makes some good yards. He runs in there like a forward and takes it up and does a lot of yards that way. So you know his value is in that as well. And he had some great runs, so it was good to see and that Harker was something like house. They fired up, like I think it fired them up like the Bulldogs come out against them last week. They did that against Pamworth and to kind of the Panthers and Stundon. But anyhow, I'll get I'll get onto the rugby before we run out of the time. An Clark what a what a machine he is as well for the Warriors and HeLa Sema that And it's a shame that Metcalf's going because and it's worked out the way it has because yeah, he's a real set and they proved that too in that game. But yeah, I think that's I think, like Sam Caine said, run the biggers around, you know, that's the secret to beating them. I think if we can match up to them physically in the forwards and we don't get overpowered, but we stand there ground, so to speak, and put it with them, then it's run them about and get that ball out there and get them half in a bit.
Speaker 15: You know.
Speaker 18: But because I like what Reni's doing is great, because I was wanting to say to you, like going back a bit, but I can't remember who it was we played, but it was one of those games where we had twenty minutes of absolute scored about three or four tries, and they tried something a bit different to make that happen because we were struggling up until then they come out. I think it was after the second half. That wouldn't have happened in Raises, while the short term that he had that wouldn't have happened because it seemed like that sort of creativity or thinking the player's been able to think on the field themselves and try something or talk about it seemed to be snuts shut down. So that's good. I think that's another anything where he's given the players a bit of free reign if it's not where and come up with something for me, you know, and tell me and give it a go. And the other thing to one of those games, which I thought was really good. Just the Marshall was commentating and he mentioned it because he's such an astute player. Was there was a ruckle, there was a mall and a couple of the backs came in. It might have been Ruiguard or Love or just can't remember exactly who they were, but a couple of the backs came over and they bowled the fellers off the ball.
Speaker 5: Like the forwards would normally do.
Speaker 18: And Justin commeted on that and said, I like to see that as well, because they're getting licensed to if you want to get in there, do that, you know, don't stand back and do whatever.
Speaker 5: They stick to the structure.
Speaker 18: So that was great. But I yeah, I think we're on the right track. I'm liking it and I think it is a four runner to the World Cup. I think the South African Tour is a four runners to the World Cup and to build up and.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, what.
Speaker 3: Good it fell good summary, Good summary mate. I think I think I want to leave it on a high like that that you know, it is a forerunner to what's going to happen next year. Good to get your thoughts as always made on the All Blacks and the and the Warriors as well. Exciting times to be a fan of both. Text through here loving your show when I I leave, it wasn't just loving your program. That wasn't the text. My husband and I were at the Rugby World Cup final, says KB in nineteen eighty seven. My husband won two tickets at work that day or the day before. Fantastic it was. We'll never forget it. We were surrounded by the fringe. Love it, KB, Thanks indeed, God, Hi.
Speaker 20: Mate, Yeah Ga, poney. Favorite memory. I'm just thinking about this now.
Speaker 6: For me, it was just personal to me.
Speaker 20: It was going with my dad to Sharif's Brook and bending first rugby tesday. I watched Barry's John and the Lions were playing the All Blacks, and you know, to see such high quality players and people who will remain in people who had generation's memory forever, and how wonderful.
Speaker 6: The rugby was. And anyway, so getting onto.
Speaker 20: The All Blacks in South Africa, I only you, Poney. The boy's got to move through the back line and it's got to be around. We've got to retain the posession.
Speaker 6: You can't score of the opposition the money.
Speaker 20: That got the wall in their hands, and I just too often, I think that's the problem that South Africa, as we've seen that the storm was already with the officials allowing stoppages and creating stoppages all the time, giving those guys breathing, there's irish out here, and the bloke stopping for his contact lenses repeatedly. I think of the second time around the referee saw what was going on and it says get off the fieldmate, or or we're out here.
Speaker 6: We're carrying on without you, I think, and I just think.
Speaker 20: That the rest aren't aware of what's going on, that they know we're in a team that's sucking.
Speaker 6: In the oxygen and they should be taking care of it. The other observation to make, and it's just annoying me.
Speaker 20: It's the only thing that really is annoying me with Poke.
Speaker 6: Me in New Zealand's at the moment is the halfbacks.
Speaker 20: We've got some wonderful harm bets, but we've got an awful lot of wall. Will be at the base of the scrum. They can throw it out that they're sitting there and they hesitate for five seconds or so that time gives the opposition to see whether they're going to kick, where they're going to kick, or whether they're going to pass it. They know what's coming and we shouldn't be providing at time. This game is certainly under Renny is becoming a real high speed, maintain position.
Speaker 19: Game.
Speaker 20: And I just think I saw it last night when the game between the Marcos and the Boys from down Napey Way and.
Speaker 6: The first scrum, the first two scrums, he actually at the pace of.
Speaker 20: The scrum and he must have wanted the five seconds on both occasion before he kicked the ball.
Speaker 6: And we're so obvious what's going on. It gives the opposition too much.
Speaker 3: Simon my well, Garth, you're right about that as a tactic, Yeah, you're right, And I think daver and he is actually trying to get the All Blacks half backs to to well first of all, to get to the right quickly and then to clear it quickly. But you know, it's a great point you make that you know, the longer you wait, the worse it gets. As far as letting the opposition get set up. Barry John lines to it. That must have been what seventy one presumably Good to have your memories, mate, good to have your memories. Seventeen away from one news talks, he'd b oh, eight hundred and eighty, ten to eighty talking spring box, talking your favorite memories of the last one hundred years. We're back with more calls after this.
Speaker 2: The scoreboards, Dalent waits, the world.
Speaker 1: Weights and the sports talk and your home of sport for one hundred years.
Speaker 11: This is rue said be the feature station.
Speaker 1: It's Weekend Sport with Jason Pine and the ud EQ seven Dynamic black Runout edition available while stogs last news talks, that'd.
Speaker 3: Be thirteen to one text through here. Any news on the Billy Proctor injury. Here's Neil Barnes a few hours ago on that.
Speaker 9: Too early it he's been assessed at the moment, but obviously but saw yesterday. But let's be on the positive side, and I hope that's all right. But no, I can't give you any more information because I simply don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, shoulder injury for Billy Procter. He left the left the field during the win over the Stormers. So let's hope that he's going to be okay, Mark, Hi, Yeah.
Speaker 19: It's just wondering on that whether Neil Blacks or Dave Redeye sees Rico as a winger or a center, and I'm quite sure about that.
Speaker 3: A winger I reckon. A winger, I reckon yeah. I although he's pretty versatile. He played pretty well at center for a long time for the All Blacks, but I would say a winger, Yeah. I feel as though the other four are ahead of him in the queue for those midfield spots.
Speaker 19: I like him at center.
Speaker 5: I think you've got that speed and.
Speaker 19: Power and size. Really, I think he's fantastic next to Jordi. The spring Box. I mean, they can adly beat the Argentinian Pumaslau tonight, but one by seven. I mean, I think this is going to be a Fournel whitewash by all.
Speaker 17: But I.
Speaker 3: Love it, Marke, love that, mate, love it.
Speaker 19: I didn't. I didn't realize we're playing the spring Box four weeks consecutively. That's where we've probably never done that before.
Speaker 3: We I don't think so those old old style tours when they came here and we went there, I'm almost certain the test matches weren't weak to week to week to week. No, I think this would be this would be a first in that regard.
Speaker 19: Yes, yeah, I mean Rathie has always got a plan. I mean you could see the disappointment when he when he went to Eden Park and lost that match. He was nearly in tears, which was quite great to see to be here. But yeah, I just think we're going to have to manage our players. I think that's what that was my reasoning behind the reason. And I attended the match unfortunately and Willington when the box put it on us, but you know, they put on a whole new team. We're basically playing that the team we had the week before, and yeah, I thought it's sort of like fifty sixty minutes into the game, they were just sort of done, you know. And that's when the Springboarts really opened up on them on the on the test matches. As a sports fan, I just want to see the games decided on the field. I'm just sick and tired and we're seeing it every international match now that the games getting decided by the referee and cards, and at some point world rugby has to go, you know, And it's right through just about every game right through the World Cup. I mean you could say the last World Cup final was spoiled by you know, obviously cards and it didn't didn't help New Zealand. But I think in Super Rugby that they've got the balance right. And to me, the two Australian rests were probably two of the best in the world, and the fact that they give you the best game to watch, and this stop start of fear we were going up to the TMO and then that that carding players. It's not to watch, is it. It's just not fun to watch.
Speaker 3: No, it's not. It absolutely isn't. And I think we all get foul Playmark, We all understand that there have the consequences and repercussions for severe foul play. But look, this is probably a conversation for another day. But yeah, I looked at those yellow cars yesterday and only browns in particular. You know that tackle has started on the upper chest and slid up to the head. Look if the referee doesn't spot it in real time on the field with close proximity in his favor, then what are we doing?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 19: I just think it's getting to the point where that when the TMO, especially from upstairs, can interject into the game. I mean, it's a context sport. People are flying in from everywhere all the time. I mean, you could just able to pick out any any racks and find some sort of foul play there where a player's heads contacted. And I just think that, yeah, I'm just as watching international rugby, it's certainly not it's flowing as a Super Rugby competition wasn't here, And I'd actually like to see maybe an angus gardener takes the games. I mean, it's just when you see the rest sometimes think oh no, this is just going to be a stop start of fear with bloody thirty penalties really in five red calves, five yellow cards.
Speaker 3: You know, we all understand Mark, and we're talking to Sam kne earlier about concussion. You know, we all understand how important it is to protect the safety of the players. But yeah, I mean the constant TMO intervention. I mean, we got spoiled, didn't we in Super Rugby when they made those changes and said, look, okay, TMO, you just stay silent apart from these situations. It's like the TMO has just become a fourth part of the officiating team in real time, you know, listening even in July in those test matches, you know, listening to being on the sideline and getting the effect feed which we get, which you get if you listen to the radio commentary of the referee, but the tmo's voices as constant as referees. Anyway, as I say, maybe a conversation for another day. Eight away from one News Talk SIBB.
Speaker 1: When there's a line call, it's your call. Weekend Sport with Jason Fine News Talks.
Speaker 3: HEBB coming up five to one. Just a reminder after two, Dame Lisa Carrington is on the show and Murray Deeker as well, the doy end, the trailblazer of radio sports broadcasting. As we celebrate one hundred years, a chance to remember some of the great sporting memories from the last century. The last ball of the twenty fifteen Cricket World Cup semi final between the black Caps and South Africa at eden Park Steam.
Speaker 2: Bowls and it swung away and that's going for.
Speaker 11: Six and that's the match.
Speaker 21: Ron Elliott takes New Zealand to the World Cup Final for.
Speaker 3: The first time ever. Yeah, what a moment that was. If you go to Eden Park you can find that spot because they've painted the seat where the ball landed green in the Eden Park stand there so you can always reminisce about that, and what about this perhaps the most iconic piece of sports radio broadcasting ever.
Speaker 10: Now in nineteen ninety five, at stand up, New Zealand, Black Magic is about to sail to an unprecedented five deal with Salt and Summetry. The America's Cup is now New Zealand's Cup, and for only the second time in one hundred and forty four years, for most Illustrious and a loser of Praises in Sailor International Sports, Bolder's Prize leaves the United.
Speaker 3: States now PJ The America's Cup is now New Zealand's Cup. Has there been a more iconic sentence uttered in our sports broadcasting history? If there has, I can't think of it. Right now, approaching one o'clock the Ranfurlly Shield goes on the line in Dunedin this afternoon. Otago have the log on their sideline. Canterbury are coming to take it back. Of course, it was Otago who took got off Canterbury last season. So we'll get you inside the Otago camp and the National Basketball League Final two.
Speaker 1: The only place to discuss the biggest sports issues on head off the field got a story. It's all on Weekend Sport with Jason Vine and the UDIQ seven Dynamic Black Runout edition on Youth Talks MB your home of.
Speaker 3: Sport Oho there one O seven. This is Weekend Sport on News Talk, zedby Andy McDonald has put the show together. On Jason Pine, We're here till three. Just got a lovely text from PJ Montgomery bull of an arker. It says, Jason from Musket Cove, Fiji. You're booming in by starlink. I don't even know what that is, PJ. But it's great to have you listening, and I hope you heard your iconic line. Goodness only knows how many times p J. Montgomery has been asked about that. I mean, what a line. I wonder if he knew when he said that the America's Cup is now New Zealand's cup. I wonder if he knew then how utterly iconic that sentence would be, PJ. Great to have you listening and trust you enjoying yourself in Fiji, mate, Lots of great texts coming through Jason. Loving hearing the old clips and stings before the news brings back a lot of memories, says Annie is it possible to hear a wee part of your oldest rugby game. I don't know whether it's one of the oldest ones Annie, but it goes to a couple of texts I've got through here. One from John says, please play Winston McCarthy's commentary he was a radio legend, and from Murray Piney. You're probably too young to remember, but Winston McCarthy, listen. It's a goal iconic for anyone old enough to remember. Murray. I am a little bit old to remember it, but I have heard it lots of times and it remains iconic.
Speaker 16: That comes kark.
Speaker 22: Now, he moves up, he's kicking and that's a lovelace.
Speaker 13: Listen, that's the guy.
Speaker 23: There.
Speaker 13: You go.
Speaker 3: Listen, it's a goal from Winston MacArthur. Year you speak about wonderful moments on the radio news talks, he'd be celebrating one hundred years the ninth of August nineteen twenty six, so one hundred years to the day the zib call sign was first heard after two Murray Deekers on the show, and Dame Lisa Carrington as well. But we start this hour with rugby and the ran Furley shield goes on a line on the line rather again this afternoon holders Otago welcome Canterbury to Forsyth bar Stadium. It was, of course Canterbury who Otago took the shield off last season.
Speaker 24: They're still going Otago up towards the five minute line of Canterbury.
Speaker 11: They keep it in tight. They've just got to hold onto it.
Speaker 24: Bower with a carry offloads off the ground to Umaga Jenson, Canterbury trying desperately to turn the ball over.
Speaker 11: There's the hooter back to Bella.
Speaker 13: Otago have done it.
Speaker 4: You win the red Pillage Shield for the eighth time of their history and break Canterbury hearts thirty eight thirty six.
Speaker 11: Incredible.
Speaker 3: Heah, what a day for Otago and christ Church. The same two teams meet this afternoon from just after two o'clock with the log of wood on the line. Let's bring an Otago lock slash loose forward slash utility. We'll start at actually, well can we start there. I've been trying to work out whether you're a lock of blondside flanker a number eight. Can you can you shed any light for us?
Speaker 25: Yeah?
Speaker 14: That's good question. Sometimes I'm not quite sure myself, but definitely eight and six of my preferred positions. But just the last couple of years, I've just been doing what's guest the team, I suppose, so anytime on the fields on a bad time, so.
Speaker 3: A way I look at it, love that love that you won the Shield off Canterbury at the back end of last season. Memorable day coming from fifteen points down to beat them thirty eight thirty six in christ Church. Where does that day sit in the rugby that you've played.
Speaker 14: Yeah, definitely up there. It'd be hard for that not to be the pinnacle for me in terms of my career so far. She has a pretty special night in christ Church. Yeah, we're sort of under the pumpoi but came back and had some pretty cool heads and some special moments from some special players in their team. But yeah, it's it's pretty highly there for me. It's gonna be tough to knock that off its perch.
Speaker 3: Was that your first round Fury Shield challenge?
Speaker 14: Yeah, yeah it was. I've been waiting, been waiting a couple of years.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 14: Yeah, just eager to get my own challenge and pretty good strite great so far, so I'd like to keep that record in text.
Speaker 3: Bet oh bet I bet so. I mean, this is, no doubt a silly question, but how driven do you think Canterbury will be to come to your place this afternoon and take it back?
Speaker 25: Oh?
Speaker 14: Yeah, they'll be highly driven. It's to be hard, not for any for any team not to get up for a ram Frely Shield challenge. You know, they don't come very often. You won't get for a few years sometimes, but yeah, we're expecting them to come and bring everything and throw it at us and behave every right to do so.
Speaker 3: And on the other side of the coin, how determined are you all to keep the log for a bit longer?
Speaker 14: Yeah, no, we're We've had a pretty special week in tenth week and just try to trying to flip that mindset and look at it as we're trying to attack for the shield again, not defend it. But yeah, had a pretty good week and we'll be doing everything to keep it for another week.
Speaker 3: You also met them, of course in the NPC Final last year and going down thirty six twenty eight on that occasion. How much has the sting of that been used as motivation ahead of this NPC season.
Speaker 14: Yeah, like the way I've sort of scend up a year. You know, we want to go one better than that, and you know, you've got to have the confidence in your group to know you can, and yeah, definitely use as a little bit of fuel, but we sort of use that to build off and get better. You know, we can't just rely on what we did last year. We've got to obviously improve a few things and keep some things the same, but overall use as a little bit of fuel just to get better and give us more more confidence than anything.
Speaker 3: There was a superb season for Otago in twenty twenty five, second on the table and the regular season memorable wins over Wakata and Bay of Plenty in the quarters and the semis. I mean, it was a terrific season. What were the things that you know did go so well last season that you think will be helpful as you as you attack twenty twenty six.
Speaker 14: I think belief might be a bit of a cliche, but last year we just got more and more belief in the group, and I think right at the start of the year one of their key leaders, Gilbert Sam Gilbert sort of hit the nail on the head and say, you know, we don't want to be seen as underdogs anymore and thinking ourselves as that, like, we want to believe and though we are some of the top contenders in the camp, and we've sort of tried to use that mindset and just use that and build belief and more confidence, and a week in week heals and yeah, confidence of belief in the group does great things.
Speaker 3: I reckon, Well, you started the season last weekend on Stag Day down and in Vericago, which I guess could have been a bit of a banana skin for you. We know how up they get down there. But a comfortable forty one fourteen win. How happy was the playing group and the coaching staff with last weekend?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 6: No, really happy.
Speaker 14: Good to get a win like that under your belt. And like you said, it can be a pretty hostile environment down there sessionistag Day. So yeah, we're starting to come out with a pretty yeah, pretty confident one and yeah it does a bit for the group, but they all want us going through the camp and just happy to get a come back from State hahioan up the road with a good win like that.
Speaker 3: I bet. I just want to ask you about playing alongside Fabian Holland obviously have done so in an Otago shirt and in a Highlander shirt. Not this season in Super Rugby of course with the injury. But what's it been like playing alongside him and you know, linking up for them in the second role on occasion, but just being in the same Ford pack as him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that's been great.
Speaker 14: Fabian's a great man. I've been lucky enough to play quite a bit of age group stuff alongside Shades, growing up through Lander's twenties and things like that. But yeah, he's been great having the group for a bit. He's obviously a leader within the group and helping her their set peace and we're obviously stoked to see him back. And they had all blacks environments and rather see him do or have another great year in the black jersey.
Speaker 3: Did you sort of realize when you first started playing with him that you know he was it was a pretty decent player.
Speaker 14: Yeah. I remember back at high school that St Andrew's here at Christler's Boys. I remember seeing this big tall I thought he was German at the time lot but turned down he was a big Dutch fellow. And yeah, he could tell you something special about him for a different gravy and it's an awesome see him kick on and it's no surprises how driven he is.
Speaker 3: Where he's got to wonderful stuff. Well for you guys this afternoon, it is the log of wood on the sideline there at Forsyth Barer's. Canterbury come and try and take it off. You're all the best, will hope, but it stays with you guys for a bit longer. Appreciate you taking the time for a chat.
Speaker 14: Yeah, awesome, Thank you, Pinie, appreciate it.
Speaker 3: No, thank you for joining us. Well, all the best of this afternoon will start up. He's playing Lock this afternoon, but as you heard him say, six' eight his preferred, position but he's happy. Anywhere five past. Two that game kicks off In. Dunedin If otago were to defend the shield, successfully the next chance for somebody to take it off them would Be wellington in a couple of. Weeks they Play otago On, sunday the twenty third Of august. Year that's two weeks. Today If canterbury were to win at this, afternoon Then bay Of plenty have a crack at it Next saturday. Afternoon those two meet and what at the moment is just AN mpc game but If canterbury take the shield, home then it'll be Of. Bay it'll Be bay of. Plenty having a crack at them this, Afternoon maust, says in, fact must have sent me four texts all the. SAME i hope you're going to talk about The magpies. Today i'm sure Of wellington we're, winning you'd be talking about, them Must that's a little bit. Unfair but, Look i've been very impressed with The. Magpies very. Impressed aleck On texas, Day, poney alick. Hep how good are Those Hawks Bay magpies another fifty piece this weekend Against, tasman fifty On wellington last. Weekend only two, games but, jeez now looking the, goods Says. Alec up The. Magpies also looking forward to your chat tomorrow morning with sav and The husk about the mike's going to be. Fizzing he will, Be, yeah commentary box tomorrow morning will be will be chockers with all sorts of. Chat another texture. Head this is just. Random i'm just sort of ticking these off as we. GO i like to try and answer the questions that come through IF i. Can, jase do you know When Shannon frazzel is due to be eligible for The All. Blacks Ask, RICHARD i feel like he would complete our Loose. Fords, well he's available, now isn't. He jenniferzel's played For, tessman hasn't? He he's PLAYED MPC, yep so he is eligible, Now. Richard If Dave rennie is of the mind he could Pick Shannon frazel now if there's an injury In South. Africa if the Loose ford gets, Injured jenniferzell could be your, man certainly when they get back for The Bledisloe cup matches end of yet. Tour, yeah So jenniferzel is back in the mix. Now somebody also pointed out to me that If Billy proctor can't continue on this, tour then would that open the door For Richie. MOONGER i know they play different. Positions billy practice am midfield. Back Richie wonger is a first. Five Dave rennie said that he would you know that he would Consider Richie waronger in a like for like. Situation he too has played THE mpc, now so he is. Available. YEAH i don't. KNOW i feel as though they just bring another midfield back over if they if they Lost Billy. Procter but it's an interesting, point an interesting. Point our NUMBERS r eight hundred and eighty ten eighty anything you want to bring up this afternoon or the best to otago this afternoon And. Canterbury of, COURSE i don't think we should be Anti. Canterbury we're not Anti. Canterbury all the best for a fantastic shield match this, afternoon one. Eighteen we'll take a break when we come, back actually before we, go before we. Go another text thro here as iconic as pj's ninety Five America's cup commentary.
Speaker 25: Was and it.
Speaker 3: Was what About Harold abraham's commentary Of Jack lovelock winning the fifteen hundred meters at the nineteen thirty Six olympics In. Berlin, well, Fortunately, TONY i have that. Prepared love Love lock just running.
Speaker 22: Perfectly, now come, On, jack three hundred meters to, go love, luckly three hundred meters to, go love.
Speaker 13: Lock canniham gone up to text.
Speaker 22: Edition love knock out on his love boy on, ahead love luck me Love love love Love hunniam Jacka carli, Up, No I've jack a hundred.
Speaker 13: Yards to, Go come, On, jack my gott he.
Speaker 22: Done It, jack come Up lovelock Win HIVE u s got you win one, hooray love luck finding the Tax Canim tech And macarlis.
Speaker 3: Sir, yeah come, On. Jeck Harold abraham is a good friend Of Jack lovelock of, course and having the chance to call him winning that gold medal in nineteen thirty, six ninety years, ago goodness me ninety years. Ago one twenty back of a second Weekend Sport.
Speaker 1: Roots to the Grand Stand weekends fort With Jason vine and The AUDI q Seven Dynamic Black runout edition from one.
Speaker 2: Eight Hundred NEWS Talksb.
Speaker 3: News TALKS, Heb i've had a bunch of people text. Me, Yeah shannifrazel blow a hammy before the first game last, Week, Seys david And nelson hasn't taken the field. Yet another text, here, Yeah jennifrazel hasn't yet. Played this is a good one though hasn't yet played For. TASMANIA a love order Correct frazell's and it hasn't yet played For. Tasmania and then the second text came. Through WHAT i meant Was tasman, Okay Well jennifrazel look speedy. RECOVERY i hope he's back. Soon. Hamstring was, THAT i mean depends on that the seriousness of, it doesn't. It hopefully he'll be back soon For tasman Or tasmania and be eligible for The All. Blacks Arthur High, Hi, Jason i've got something.
Speaker 26: Interesting for the last hundred, YEARS i don't think it's actually ever happened In New. Zealand this joker that played Against charles nineteen seventy. One he was on the wing For taranaki and he was only. Seventeen his name Was Murray kid and he played For. Nipple he's come From New Plymouth Boys High school and his first game was against The British. Earl he's on the wing AND i don't think there's ever been a seventeen year old against. International AND i was there and every time he Tackled joker duck and the crowd would row at. Him you know how excited they were to see this young, kid you, know bowl a tackle As Joko duckham here was marking on the. WING i don't think there's been any younger person that's ever gone against. International when He's hireland only.
Speaker 3: Seventeen what a moment for, HIM i what a moment seventeen to play against an international, team but also to have the crowd on your side like. That so he must have been he must have held ten feet tall out, There.
Speaker 26: Arthur, yeah that's. Right, Yeah, yeah he came down from King country and played For. Taranaki, YEAH i.
Speaker 16: Think it was.
Speaker 11: That that's, Yeah Murray.
Speaker 3: Kidd did you say his name Was Murray? Yathur?
Speaker 26: No, no, sorry carry it certainly had the right certain name for his only.
Speaker 3: Exactly, Exactly, Arthur well seid, mate thanks for calling. In, yeah what a terrific. Memory murray, kid seventeen years old playing against The. Lions how? Good how? Good one twenty Five National Basketball league supremacy goes on the line this. Afternoon it's the defending Champion Wellington.
Speaker 27: Saints the fourth seed has dominated the First The saints will have an opportunity to go back to. Back the reigning champions storm through to The Grand final one and twelve and sixty.
Speaker 3: Nine, yeah they'll take on The Southland sharks and The Southland.
Speaker 2: Sharks we'll host the.
Speaker 24: Susand Bil Grand final in twenty twenty six and The sharks come away eighty four to seventy four.
Speaker 3: Winners it is a repeat of last Year's Grand, final this time for the first. Time it's an in The, cargo our Own Nick buley is part Of Sky Sports Cover you joins. Us now let's start with where you, Are, nick In, vericargol The Southland sharks playing their first ever Home Grand. Final how significant could that home court advantage? Be this, AFTERNOON, o good, Afternoon.
Speaker 24: Piney great to be with you as a new sort'sb celebrates one hundred.
Speaker 11: Years, LOOK i think it is.
Speaker 24: Significant these two, teams of, course met each other twice in the regular, season once in a The, cargo once at The Tearesby arena In, wellington The sharks one on home court that was way back In, may The Wellington saints one on home court just a couple of weeks. Ago but not only the home, advantage it's the first, time my, understanding the first time in the seventeen year history of The Southland sharks that they have sold Out Ilt, Stadium southland three, thousand seven hundred and seventy tickets to be.
Speaker 11: Exact so that place is going to be absolutely.
Speaker 24: Humming i've been lucky to be there a couple of times over my few years involved with The National Basketball. League and, yeah there's a few places around the country that have a fantastic home atmosphere and get behind their, team and South and would certainly be right up there in terms of the way they support not only The, sharks but The Southern steel and The Southland. Stag SO i think it could, be you, know something that will play into the advantage of The, sharks but that alone isn't going to get it.
Speaker 3: Done all, right, well fantastic they have such a big crowd in. Coming how much can we read into what happened between these two teams in the final last year or even during the regular season this. Year is any of that important or do we have a clean slate? TODAY i think the.
Speaker 24: Most recent Game, pinty given it was only a couple of weeks, ago as a real significant tail tale as to what could transpire this. Afternoon of, course South and would not want it to go that. Way they lost one hundred and nineteen to ninety. Four The Wellington saints have the best offense in the. League they averaged just to tick over one hundred points the, game and they were absolutely humming on that. Occasion and they've found form at the best possible. Time let's not forget just a week ago they went up To auckland and absolutely ran through the top seed At auckland Till atara one hundred and twelve to sixty, Nine so that that's a potential sign as to what could happen this.
Speaker 11: Afternoon and saying.
Speaker 24: That though you know on that day everything went right For, wellington you had seventeen made three. Pointers for The, saints you Had Elijah, pepper the LEAGUE, mvp scoring twenty nine, points but you also had that support cast and around him with A Keitcher lea scoring twenty six, Points Carlin davison almost a triple, double so that that could. Happen but at the same time Too. SOUTHLAND i was there in Christ church seven days. Ago it was a real sort of playoff grind type of the game as opposed to know everything flowing, offensively but they found a way and perhaps you know that that's a sign. Too in finals, games your defense is just as important as your offense and limiting the opposition's. Opportunities they held The Canterbury rams to seventy four. Points SO i don't think last year's final matters from a form perspective because they are quite different, teams but it Certainly lingers and stings still.
Speaker 11: For The Southland. Sharks not often you see pinety.
Speaker 24: Import players From america come, Back Caleb asbrey And Kiln. Boone they came back after last year's disappointment to right a few wrongs here. Today and the coach as, Well Jonathan yeim in his second year in the. League you, know he's sort of spoken publicly about the minutes after losing The Grand final last year and how basically a lot of them in the group would just, say, right let's run it back next year and go one.
Speaker 11: Better they get that opportunity this.
Speaker 3: Afternoon, Absolutely redemption absolutely is on the menu For southland this. Afternoon in order to get, it they need to Stop Elijah pepper SEASON, mvp scoring it close to twenty nine points a. Game can one to actually stop? Him or is it more about trying to make his life as difficult as possible?
Speaker 11: Today, YEAH i think the, Latter, PINEY i.
Speaker 24: Think you, know you look over the course of the, LEAGUE i think only the last once in the last nineteen, games which is pretty much the bulk of the, season Has Elijah pepper not scored.
Speaker 11: Twenty points in his last seven. Games he's scored at least twenty.
Speaker 24: Seven, interestingly, though for, me the last When southland Beat wellington in the regular, Season Elijah pepper.
Speaker 11: Scored forty three points and that was still in a.
Speaker 24: Loss so for, me that sort of speaks To, Look Elijah pepper is going to get his.
Speaker 11: Shots as he says the LEAGUE. Mvp he is an absolute scoring. Machine he can get to the basket and kill you in the mid, range and he's an elite three point shooter as.
Speaker 24: Well it's more about containing and limiting the support cast for south and Forcing Elijah pepper into some of the shots that he doesn't like as.
Speaker 11: Much that feels like the strategy for, me because if you try and.
Speaker 24: Double Team Elijah, pepper ultimately you're going to leave someone else. Open if you get a ketcher there starting to hit his shots At Dante agra mccarl And, davis and then things become a lot harder for The Southern.
Speaker 3: Sharks all, right let's go to The sharks, then and you land naturally on their point Guard Ryland jones as a potentially key part of their. Team terrific season FAN. Mvp how integral and how crucial might he be this?
Speaker 11: Afternoon, YEAH i really Like Ryland jones first year in the.
Speaker 24: League as you, say traditional point. Guard he doesn't have to go above and beyond to facilitate the. Offense he feels like a little bit of a glue, guy but he's just always there and doing something and making a positive. Contribution seven is fifteen points a, game even six. Rebounds it just seems to be in the right place at the right time to then allow The sharks to get out and run on. Transition so between He Caleb, asbury who as a, mention was here last, year have a real chip on his.
Speaker 11: Shoulder he didn't make The All star.
Speaker 24: Five piney and he's let everyone know already on social media and some of The Sky sport commentary team And Sam turmmans as, Well Defensive player of The. Year just a focal, point the yankeor down there in the. Interior so, look The Southern shows has got a lot of key. Pieces but if someone Like Ryland jones in particular can support, You Caleb asbury's You Sam timmons from a scoring perspective as much as a facilitation and really is going to be the sum of all parts today For. Southland, look they've got guys who can score certainly great defensive unit as. Well but if everyone can can buy and get a little bit extraduce out of The orange from, everyone then that'll go a long way to giving them the outcome they so desperately.
Speaker 3: Crave, well you've mentioned a lot of players from the starting fives from both. Sides who has the deeper, Bench.
Speaker 11: Oh that's a great.
Speaker 24: Question i'd stay Probably, wellington although there are question mark Around Hiram. Harris he's currently listed as. Questionable he rolled his ankle in that semi final win over The Auckland. Tuittara of, course as you, Know Pioneers Grand FINAL mvp in this very matchup last year twenty, points fourteen.
Speaker 11: Rebounds he's the, heartbeat all Hustle Hiram.
Speaker 24: Harris if he's, out then Coach Aaron young is going to have to go deeper down his. Bench but they've got guys Like Jordan hunt who come off the bench who can certainly have an. Impact Sam gold as another player for The Southland, SHARKS i really like that they Have Tobias, cameron son of the Great Pido cameron off their bench and he's just a real good glue. Guy he'll Make he'll probably come on and Defend Elijah pepper and try and make his life as difficult as.
Speaker 11: Possible but that.
Speaker 24: Both these, teams by the point you get in this season where It's Grand, Final, piney they're rarely running a six or seven man rotation at.
Speaker 11: Best they used to. That i'd be surprised to see our super young.
Speaker 24: Players but who, knows it might be an opportunity for An Aubrey hunger out Of wellington to make a hero or a name of himself with a couple of big plays off the.
Speaker 3: Bench, well speaking of big, plays big basketball games in, fact any basketball, game but big ones in, particular can change quickly in a couple of, possessions a big, three a, turnover a run of six or eight. Points which of these two teams do you think has the greater capacity to produce that decisive.
Speaker 24: Run, oh that's a beautiful thing about basketballs And, piney you never quite know until the. Day compared to, yeah a rugby game or, football it feels like you can just change in a made, shot defensive.
Speaker 11: PLAY i look At Wellington saints.
Speaker 24: Though and the, way particularly in the last three or four, weeks have won their last five and by significant margins as. Well AND i even just cast my mind, back you, know the semi final last, week it was even reasonably close sort of first, quarter they started to push in the, second and then they just absolutely put their foot down in the third and saying that Those southland you, know they jumped out to a double digit lead over The Canterbury rams last. Week canterbury climbed all their way back, in you, know came back from seventeen.
Speaker 11: Down to tie things up at the end of the third.
Speaker 24: Quarter But Caleb asbry back to back threes to open the fourth and that Set southland on its. Way so, look both of these, teams that's what makes this Afternoon's Grand finals so. GOOD i reckon it's a bit of a marketer's, dream of, course because you've got that redemption Story Grand final repeater last. Year but you've got so much elite production in these both these two. TEAMS i just hope it lives up to its billing because this.
Speaker 11: Could ebb and. Flow as we saw last.
Speaker 24: Year it wasn't really until the last heck thirty forty seconds Where wellington could perhaps you know that they were going to be lifting a banner for a thirteenth, time all.
Speaker 3: Right just before you go just up the road in the not to just in, Future canterbury are going to try and wrestle The Ranfully shell back From. Otarga, now of course you cover all forms Of canterbury, sport you reckon that when you get back to Christ it whenever that, is the shield will be there as.
Speaker 24: Well oh, here, LOOK i think that that's a game that has significant potential to go right the distance as.
Speaker 11: Well i've really liked What otago particularly did last.
Speaker 24: YEAR i was fortunate enough to call The Ranville shield win they had Over canterbury last. Year and in speaking of redemption the grand final between the two, teams When canterbury Beat otaga to win THE Npc trophy so early in the season it was quite.
Speaker 11: Hard to get a real read On.
Speaker 24: Otaga they were actually hearing In maccargo last Week stag they beat Beat southland quite. Comfortably they don't Have Dylan pledge at the moment is their real spark, plug but Still Lucas casey And Christian Leo william and THERE i was actually speaking To otago Coach Mark brown because funnily enough he's my wife's Boss piney and in another job that is my wife doesn't work for The Otago, union, okay BUT i was having to reach out to him earlier in the week and he, said we're not out to defend the Ran Philly. Shield we want to win it again and our style is, attack, attack attack under the roof At Forsyth.
Speaker 11: BAR i think they'll have a real, go so too Will canterbury.
Speaker 24: THOUGH i Mean richie men are at ten and The Evergreen johnny McNichol at full.
Speaker 11: Back that they've got a lot of potential as.
Speaker 24: Well So i'll be keeping half an eye on how things go up, there, owd that's for, sure all.
Speaker 3: Right so just after two o'clock and duneed and It's targo Against canterbury for the Ram Philly shield three o'clock this. Afternoon and in The cargo SELLS Nbl Grand Final Southland Sharks Wellington. Saints who you Got.
Speaker 11: I'll put on the cout, Here, Piney i'll Go. Sharks regardless of.
Speaker 3: That it's been good to talk to you and we hopefully will get the opportunity to do that again.
Speaker 24: Soon cheer's, MATE i love. IT i appreciate you you taking the time to get basketball on the. Airwaves you're a big supporter of the, sports so really appreciate.
Speaker 3: It now good, Man. Nick thanks, Indeed nick biorly part Of Sky sports coverage of The National Basketball League final this afternoon just after. Three that game kicks off at what sounds like it'll be a jam packed, Stadium, southland The Southland sharks against The Wellington saints for the twenty twenty Six National Basketball league. Title coming up twenty two to. Two when we come, back we go To. France that's Where james mccony is as always in A Sunday he'll join us with his sporting. Musings after this the.
Speaker 1: Biggest names in sports talk TO Fini Weekend sport With Jason vine and THE ldiq Seven Dynamic Black runout edition includes thirty thousand dollars of premium, upgrades youth talks and be.
Speaker 3: Coming up nineteen minutes away from Two sunday. AFTERNOONS i mean a lot of things on this. Show they mean a chat To james, mccony one of my favorite times on the radio, show one of my favorite times of the. Week how are you? Mate?
Speaker 25: Ah bon sois, bonjour monsieur jesson.
Speaker 11: Bean i'm very.
Speaker 25: Well it's CRAP.
Speaker 3: BMSC i take it from that opening salvo the you're somewhere in the south Of, france is? This AM i correct in that?
Speaker 25: Assumption, yes you are.
Speaker 28: RIGHT i am in the south Of france in a place Called, carcasson which is not far From, toulouse and as it's a very historic place with the largest walled city in all Of, europe and as seen in Robin hood At prince Of, thieves it's quite a popular place to film some.
Speaker 25: Movies so if you ever see somewhere with a lot of, turrets it might Be. Carcasson.
Speaker 3: Wonderful, well it's great to have you beaming. In hopefully you've been keeping an eye on bits and pieces Of New zealand. Sport did you manage to catch The All blacks against The, stormers for? EXAMPLE i?
Speaker 25: DID i saw. It it was you, know chalk it.
Speaker 28: Up it's a start and look there with debuts as. Well good to See Josh jacob get. ON i think that you, Know Antonin seigner And Fabian holland did pretty. Well Sam darry keeps on improving his, stocks And Josh morby some touches at, fullback which is in you, know you got to try as, well which is great to, see but, look it Wasn't it wasn't an outstanding, game but there were reasons for. That AND i do have concerns about rugby at the, moment.
Speaker 3: Do, you BECAUSE i was going to ask you about. That i'm not sure whether you Caught Argentina South africa because that was a bit of a tough watch as.
Speaker 28: Well, yes and this is the whole thing with rugby is, that you, KNOW i think rugby is suffering from an identity.
Speaker 25: Crisis it doesn't know what it.
Speaker 28: Is you, know when we were growing, up rugby was the game they played in heaven And i'm not sure How god Or Saint peter would explain the rucking back, then the fist fights and the scrotum, grabbing but, hey it was beloved and it had a. Brand and also nations Like New zealand And france Played champagne, rugby you, know and that was that was sort of part of it as, well just expressing. Yourself and now it's a game of, stoppages video ref interferences and box cacks and they still haven't sorted out scrummery sets in my, opinion and most what would you call it neutrals or casuals are still confused by the.
Speaker 3: Game, yeah AND i guess that is one of the big, challenges isn't it? FAKE i, mean rugby will always have its die hard, fans particularly In New. Zealand you, know we grew up watching the. Game i'm going to watch The All blacks every single time they. Play i'll tolerate all that. Stuff i'll watch rugby BECAUSE i love. Rugby but your discretionary, fan as you, say your casual, observer will take one look at the first half of The All Black, stormers which actually took fifty one minutes to, complete and so what's going on?
Speaker 11: Here?
Speaker 28: Yeah put it this, way, LIKE i love rugby as, well so don't get me, Wrong i'm all inn. Really but in the same time that rugby has steadily gotten harder to, watch rugby league has improved out of. Sight you, know they've outlawed high contact as. Well they don't tolerate slowing the ball down and the six again rule has pretty much made monster forwards Like nelson Us off or so and more.
Speaker 25: Extinct you. Know so they're ruthless in.
Speaker 28: Terms of trying to improve the game for everyone to, watch whereas rugby hasn't been able to do anything. MEANINGFUL i don't think to change the, game and partly that's politics and world. Rugby we don't need to get into. That but you know the issue is that one in five rugby games is incredible and it gives all of us hope because everyone, goes, wow did you see that? Game and then we're, back you, Know so that's that's all it's got in its. Favor but WHAT i hope is that you, know the marketing departments are working over, time aren't they trying to sell the game with the greatest rivalry and all that sort of, Stuff and we're all going to watch.
Speaker 25: It i'm going to be glued to the, telly can't wait to see what.
Speaker 28: Happens BUT i just, hope and, LOOK i Think David reni's showing signs of that is that we see the ball in hand, more that we actually see teams trying to show what they can, do and that those have sort of been the indications from. This Dave renni coached All.
Speaker 3: Blacks you're really interesting to hear him say that as, well because most coaches just try to win rugby matches one way or the. Other in any fashion that is available to. Them, Yeah Dave renny very early on. Didn't he, said, look we know that that rugby's in a battle for, eyeballs and we need to play our, part WHICH i think is actually a really, progressive you, know outlook for a guy who lives and dies by whether his team wins or.
Speaker 28: Not, Yeah and it's kind of interesting BECAUSE i looked at that game and it was really in the balance and even you, know When Peter arco through that nice off load To Leroy, CARTER i mean could have been called back being.
Speaker 25: Forward it was definitely line ball And.
Speaker 28: Carter had to beat three, players but The All blacks were really in a tussle up until. Then you, know that fat call had gone the other, way then, hey it could have just been one of the great upsets that we're talking about. Now but, hey you, know the last quarter against those, teams you can see some class comes through at.
Speaker 25: Least BUT i, WAS i was a little bit.
Speaker 28: Concerned AND i think we've talked about DU persecti, ME i don't have to go on about, it BUT i saw him play so well at twelve with that setting up that try Against, auckland just, thinking you, know sometimes rugby isn't necessarily about, saying, hey we want the biggest player or the player who's showing up best in. Stats it is a game when it comes down to, it you, know and there's lots of players who actually can impact the game just because they're the best at that specific moment if you, like you, know what's put in front of, them they can rise to the. Occasion and that's WHERE i want to see from this what would you call it midwek team from The All blacks is who are the players that are going to rise to the?
Speaker 25: Occasion, yeah me? Too me.
Speaker 3: Too can ask About Tim payne a couple of months, ago if you'd said To Tim, payne you're going to be playing football In, paraguay coming off the bench on your debut and scoring an absolute, banger he would have, said, No Now i'm going to be in pre season With Wellington. Phoenix isn't this an incredible tale that because of one post on social media buy a bloke In South america with a you, know quite a few, followers That Tim payne's life arc has changed like.
Speaker 13: THAT i.
Speaker 28: Know it's it's even bigger than the. Movie if you make if this was a. Movie people wouldn't even believe. It let's, say oh, no it's just so far, fetched it's. Crazy so So Tim pain this, goal just to put it, mildly like you, said it's a, banger it's a. Worldie he started the movement as well in his own half and set the winger. Free the winger squares it outside the. Area Tim payin hits it first, time curling into the top corner or near the top, corner away from the. Keeper so first time SHOTS i watched in most of The World, CUP i don't THINK i saw a decent first time shot as good As Tim pain's in the Entire World.
Speaker 25: Cup you know What i'm talking, About piney no, one.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 25: One most people who can have control.
Speaker 28: Of the ball and they banging it in you know where the spiders, live top. Bins but and of course there were some great goals Carbo verdi is It sydney Cabral you know there's some, beauties absolute. Beauties but That timpain goal was crazy so, good AND i just wonder whether did the always get it?
Speaker 25: Right did we with someone Like Tim.
Speaker 28: Payne we sort of, tried and we wanted them to sort of calm down and, say, look just do your, job blah blah, Blah but maybe we should have done the exact opposite and, Said Tim, payin you're you, know you've got six million, followers must feel good you take the free.
Speaker 11: Kicks yes you, know, yes you, know like just you go on marauding runs.
Speaker 28: Up front because you the world wants to see, you and maybe you just just because you've got that kind of confidence that only six million followers can give. You that just set them. Free whereas we did this Classic kiwi, thing didn't We, na he's just going to focus on as, football don't worry about.
Speaker 11: Him, wrong, wrong so.
Speaker 3: True BUT i keep coming back to, it you, KNOW i keep coming back to The argentine influencer who was just trying to find the least fallow person at The World cup and he just landed On. Timpaine it was complete, luck complete good, fortune and it has set off this chain of events which has led to something that none of, us Particularly, timpaine could possibly have. IMAGINED a couple of months, Ago no.
Speaker 25: And you AND i were.
Speaker 28: Talking we were, saying look the way only way to maximize us because that guy was From. Argentina most of his followers are From Latin america and they Were spanish, speaking and even the brains like REMEMBER Kfc brazil and all those sort of sliding dunks And Donuts argentina or, whatever you, know like big brands but based in those, countries just sliding into his dms and onto his. Comments so you're not going to reach them by playing for The phoenix or even going to the you, KNOW mls or whatever you want to do In.
Speaker 25: America you have to go To South.
Speaker 28: America so we went To, paraguay WHICH i thought was a bit of a dodgy landing spot BECAUSE i, thought.
Speaker 25: Oh paraguay really beve it doesn't. Matter he's there doing.
Speaker 11: It it's visible and everyone's seeing what he can.
Speaker 25: Do which is the best goal of his entire.
Speaker 3: Career, yeah amazing, Stuff amazing stuff From Tim. Payne, WELL i think that's it messy as they, say and you're part of the world and Are revoir.
Speaker 28: Did the am pony which is you're welcome was nothing at. All and by the, WAY i did catch up With mike clamp And Nigel. Gainey if Any Wellington rugby fans And Sean spring as, well that's a bit of a deep.
Speaker 25: Cut if you're A wellington rugby.
Speaker 28: Fan and they all live in Bear ritz and they all catch up and there's a good bunch of kiwi's there and it was wonderful to see.
Speaker 25: Them Mike clamp not bad on the guitar at.
Speaker 28: All so you, know the sad thing is is that the only LYRICS i knew all from start to finish With George michael's. Songs so please don't judge. Me and you know that's All i'll. Say maybe you could play us out with a bit of.
Speaker 25: Faith DOES i.
Speaker 13: Gotta have the.
Speaker 1: Biggest names and sport are Here Weekend sport With Jason, Vine News TALK.
Speaker 3: Zb coming up five to. Two we're, celebrating of, course one hundred years of Z b AS zib went to wear for the first time on this, Day august the, ninth nineteen twenty. Six there have been so many great moments down the. Years Michael campbell won THE Us Golf open in two thousand and. Five the morning after the late Great Paul holmes spoke to him ON Zb.
Speaker 9: Breakfast, Michael, Michael.
Speaker 29: I'll tell you what shower this morning as A Us open.
Speaker 9: Champion that's, RIGHT i bet it. Was Congratulations michael.
Speaker 29: Thanks it's been the incredible last what folve hours or so or seventeen hours haven't been crowned as THE Us open. Champion it's been, unbelievable.
Speaker 5: UNBELIEVABLE i know that the.
Speaker 29: Response back home has been it's been really huge as, well And i'm looking forward to coming home and ensuring my success was bought the people back over there so.
Speaker 9: Well response back, here response back here has just. BEEN i, mean the country's gone. Bamie.
Speaker 30: MICHAEL i, know and we all watched, it and you, know the word went round, gosh you were having that wonderful final. Round we all got up early and we and we watched it and we felt for. You it was just the most marvelous thing to. See the debating Here, michael whether it's the greatest sporting achievement ever By New.
Speaker 9: Zealand, Michael, oh it's.
Speaker 29: Hard hard to. Say, really it's not my thing to say with my judgment probably, biased but maybe fining highlights of. Gentlemen, yeah that's probably probably on power To Bob charles went back in fifty.
Speaker 5: THREE i believe.
Speaker 29: Was wont to make a championship two two years, ago but to be part of history of, country little sporting history is a wonderful honor for.
Speaker 3: Me That's Michael campbell speaking with the late Great Paul, holmes the late Great Sir Paul, holmes the morning after his triumph in two thousand and. Five of, course last month we Had Ryan fox emulate him and he had a chat To Mike hoskin the morning. After we're celebrating one hundred years of Z b and we'll do it in depth after two with A, Dame Dame Lisa carrington going to join us after two. O'clock and Then, deeks the, one the, Only Murray. Deeker one hundred years of bringing you the big, weds.
Speaker 2: The big heartache.
Speaker 13: And the big.
Speaker 2: Issues i'll tell you.
Speaker 13: Here he is the sign of.
Speaker 8: Police batty's running Down charls and crash on us the.
Speaker 1: Protesters Weekends forward With Jesson dames and the seven dynamic black runout edition from. One News talk.
Speaker 2: Said oh then.
Speaker 3: Then newsic, man it takes your, bag doesn't. It News talks ED b two o. Seven I'm Jason pine With danda. McDonald this Is Weekend sport as we Celebrate News TALKS eDV turning one Hundred august, nine nineteen twenty. Six the station was heard for the first. Time i'm going to talk To Murray deeker this hour appointment listening as he was so often across as nearly three decades in this very, chair behind this very. Mic but As News TALKS dB celebrates one hundred years on the, year we thought it only fitting we spend some time with one of the Greatest New zealanders ever to wear the fern and to represent us on the world.
Speaker 12: Stage, oh it's gonna be a fight to the finish Between New zealand And. Hungary the rest have been left. Behind Can Lisa carrington make it eight gold? Medals she's got the race face on the Red Sonnies carrington coming down to the. Line it is gonna be gold For New Zealand's Lisa. Carrington it Is paris perfection.
Speaker 3: Here Dame Lisa carrington hasn't just rewritten the record, books she has torn them. Up From olympic gold In london and twenty twelve to an extraordinary haul of Eight Olympic golds and Nine olympic medals overall across her four games since she is our most Successful olympian of all. Time but those medals only tell part of the story behind the dominance has been years of relentless, discipline, sacrifice and an wavering pursuit of. Excellence now she and Husband michael are preparing for an exciting new. Chapter Dame lisa will soon become a, mum while still harboring deep ambitions to add another chapter to her incredible sporting. Legacy at The Los Angeles olympics in twenty twenty, Eight Dame Lisa carrington joins us to look back on the moments that shaped, her the memories she'll treasure, forever and what is coming. Next Dame, lisa thanks for joining us to help celebrate zb's one Hundredth when you hear the Words New zealand's Greatest, olympian what goes through your?
Speaker 23: Mind, yeah IT'S i, mean it was quite interesting hearing you have that little intro just. Then, no it, is it's. Unusual it's not SOMETHING i ever THOUGHT i could, do and it's. Not, YES i don't wake up every day thinking that for.
Speaker 3: Sure if from someone had told the teen Age Lisa carrington FROM hpi that she had become an eight Time olympic, champion what do you? Reckon she would have thought of.
Speaker 23: THAT i think she would have laughed and thought how and just maybe wouldn't even have started because that's quite, OVERWHELMING i think for a teenager who.
Speaker 3: First introduced you to kayaking and what was it that hooked you?
Speaker 23: In so kayaking really became a part of my life through surf life, Saving so starting in the surf ski at my local surf club at Fuk Taney Surf club.
Speaker 13: And then.
Speaker 23: Developing my dad's or developing. There my dad took me along to An ian ferguson kayak camp who was throwing At Lake, latouiti which was not very far From, Fulksani so we came along And, YEAH i guess that's kind of how it. Started AND i think from THERE i just picked up a Real. Isaac kayaking is you, know can take me a little bit further than surf life Saving AND i GUESS i just traveled on that, trajectory on that, path you, know Making New zealand teams and that type of, thing and when you start to be good at something to be, RECOGNIZED i just kind of carried.
Speaker 3: On, yeah were there moments early on when you realized that you were capable of taking the sport quite? Far for?
Speaker 5: You?
Speaker 13: Ah FOR.
Speaker 23: I think it's hard to. KNOW i think it's so gradual AND i think it was just small steps at a, time from you, know the fust ambition was just turning up and racing at a national, competition to then being picked for A New zealand, team a junior, team and then from there becoming one of the best peddlers In New. Zealand so it's really hard to know IF i WHEN I i, guess the thing THAT i find stranger IS i KNEW i could be good the moment THAT i started winning international, races which was and even then The olympics was still my goal and it sometimes you, KNOW i think maybe it's kiwik culture or how HOW i, am but it's really scary to dream really, big to, think you, Know i'm going to one day one gold medal when you don't know how you're going to do. It SO i think it was just a gradual thing of general just wanting to be better at, something RECOGNIZING i was good and, thinking, okay this pass is this is the ONE.
Speaker 14: I want to go.
Speaker 3: On, well it's been a wonderful path with more to. Come the eleventh Of august twenty, twelve just a few days short of fourteen years, Ago Dame, lisa what do you remember most vividly about the day you won your First olympic gold? Medal?
Speaker 23: Oh that, DAY i, think you, KNOW i remember waking up probably around four am and just trying to distract myself by, watching you, know some SOME tv, shows you, know, like you, KNOW i was only twenty, three SO i start pretty you, KNOW i was very, young well now compared to. Now AND i just remember kind of getting out there on the race course and hearing this heartbeat that the loudspeaker was playing as we were kind of rolling into our start, gates And i'm just, thinking why would they play? There it's like it's literally going faster and faster like that Is oh my, gosh that's that's quite.
Speaker 17: Scary, Yeah AND i guess at that, point you, know there.
Speaker 23: Was REAL i, mean there's not a lot of, expectation and so my biggest thing there WAS I i'd BEEN i was, LIKE i want to, win BUT i don't have, to you, Know SO i was kind of racing with a lot of, freedom AND i as we went down the, COURSE i remember having that last fift meters AND i DON'T i wasn't winning at that, point and just THINKING i want this and kind of recognizing then it's, like, wow, Okay i'm pretty. Competitive i'm in the.
Speaker 15: Race let's.
Speaker 3: Go so, yeah, unreal unreal. Stuff so gold In, london golden bronze And, rio three more golds In, tokyo three more golds In. Paris how different have each of Your Olympic games experiences been from one?
Speaker 5: Another?
Speaker 23: Yeah if they have been REALLY i guess quite, different particularly as you get, older you, know four years later or you, know if we're talking About tokyo And, paris those ones were five you, Know tokyo was five years posts twenty, sixteen and Then paris is only three years later From. Tokyo so each one has been really, different AND i, think really it's a trajectory of trying to constantly grow and be, better.
Speaker 5: You.
Speaker 23: Know adding in twenty, SIXTEEN i edited racing THE k one five, hundred WHICH i got, bronzen and then from there, realizing, OKAY i really want to do a bit of, there But i've got to find out figure out how to kind of push myself and challenge myself to get. Better and that's when WE i started racing team boats and after that to go Into Tokyo, olympics and so everyone's kind of an evolution to constantly try to find more and more capability and kind of reached the biff THAT i.
Speaker 17: Could do as an athlete and as a you, know as a.
Speaker 23: Person so every Every olympics tells a different, story but it is just like a as constantly a livel up on the next one or you, KNOW i couldn't have couldn't have done any of those medals In paris Or tokyo without the Previous olympics. Before so for constant, Growth, really.
Speaker 3: How much has the way you feel on An olympic start line? CHANGED i mean you talked about the heartbeat going through the speakers in twenty, twelve WOULD i think would have would have given any of us THE hebgb? Spot do you still do you still get nervous on An olympic start?
Speaker 13: Line?
Speaker 20: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 23: ABSOLUTELY i mean the CLOSER i got to you, know In, paris it WAS i think that was probably the Most that's the most physically.
Speaker 17: Best and mentally Best i've ever. Been and so still on that start line it just means a lot.
Speaker 23: MORE i think AS i have evolved through my athletic, career it Just i've kind of learned how to dig deeper and deeper and kind of put myself out there more and. More and so whilst you, know winning in twenty, TWELVE i just remember, thinking this is only scratching the. Surface SO i think there's no way That i've not lined up and had a great performance without being. NERVOUS i think. Nerves If i'm not, nervous there is something.
Speaker 17: Wrong but to, me it's like it.
Speaker 23: Helps me the best fun of myself because in that, MOMENT i, WANT i wanted. It i'm a little bit scared of not doing What i'm capable, of But i'm prepared to go and race the HARDEST i. Can so there's a real nice mass of.
Speaker 17: Confidence and, well don't stuff it.
Speaker 3: Up we see the metals and the metal, races but what is it that we don't see what have been the keys to your sustained? Excellence, YEAH i think while.
Speaker 23: It's it is just every day trying to be a little bit.
Speaker 19: Better and.
Speaker 23: You, know it isn't LIKE i, said that's an. Evolution so WHERE i got to and WHERE i am today is not the same athlete WHEN i. Started SO i think it's just been constantly learning how to tune your, training learning more turning, up showing up every day executing because by the end leading Into paris and really like there was no fault in my. Training so but that took a lot of, time and you, know.
Speaker 13: There's a lot of.
Speaker 23: You, know hard moments and it does become number one and things fall to the, side like you don't get as much time with your, family or you're constantly, tired or At christmas you've got to go training Or New. Year so there's those moments where there's it's there's a twenty four seven and but you, know like it you don't get to those to that place without giving it. All but it's amazing when you, know we get to do, it and you don't forget when you're on that podium and you cross the line and you're, like, oh you, know it worked really. Hard but you kind of when you are in the, trenches you kind of forget those hard moments too because it is. Tricky it is you, know when it all works, out it's all. Fine but, yeah so, there's, yeah there's a lot that goes into, it but, yeah absolutely wouldn't change it for the.
Speaker 3: World this year has brought very exciting personal news with your pregnancy and impending parenthood for you And, michael how much has that shifted your your perspective on life and on. Sport, YEAH i think.
Speaker 23: You, Well i'm you, know fundamentally the, same BUT i, think you, know it's really taught me to slow down a little. Bit AND i, think you, know there's LIKE i, see there's such an evolution to to my athletic career and to WHO i. Am SO i, think you, know this is really special for, us and it's so awesome for me to be on this journey was bucky BECAUSE i think you realize that whilst you know the middles or the successes are, incredible you can't you, know you work so hard for, it but ultimately there are bigger.
Speaker 17: Things so it's really.
Speaker 23: Special to me to kind of.
Speaker 17: Feel there and then look at sport in another, way.
Speaker 23: Which is it's not the bill with, indoor which it really does feel like when you're in it twenty four to. Seven SO i think it's a really nice way to just. Go you know, what at the end of the, day you walk, home you walk in the door at, home and you know your special people are. There SO i, think you, know where as sport is or. Not and you, know but for, sport for, athletes it stops at some point we either stop getting good, enough we get. Injured we're a year a bit.
Speaker 17: Old so you, know LIKE i, THINK i just really aware.
Speaker 23: There i'm so privileged to be doing sport and attempting it while doing this other crazy, thing which is incredibly. LATE i, mean every woman out there will will have their own, story but it's it's a really special thing and we're both really excited for.
Speaker 3: It And Los angeles twenty twenty eight remains a. Goal was it always your, Mindset Dame, lisa that you would be both a mum and continue to be an elite.
Speaker 2: Athlete, No LIKE i.
Speaker 23: Think initially or a few years, AGO i thought it wasn't, possible and then just because of you, know their commitment it takes to do, SPORT i didn't think it Was and then now we get to see these amazing. Families you, KNOW i say families because it's you, know there's there's this, female the female that has to compete and have the, child but it's also the support and you, know the team around the athlete that really make it.
Speaker 17: Happen So.
Speaker 23: I've seen a number of scenarios where it's been, possible AND i think it's initially like, yeah like naively two years ago was like it's not, POSSIBLE i can't do. It so then, go, WELL i actually still want to do. Sport it's it's an amazing career AND i want to be a mum and so, LIKE i know that there's so much undercertainty in this, space BUT i would love to just continue and come back and do, it you, know do both the BEST i.
Speaker 16: Can so, YEAH i think that's.
Speaker 3: AMAZING i think that's. Amazing we're celebrating one hundred years of course here AT zb and sport has produced so many unforgettable moments over over those. Decades do you have a favorite sporting moment that doesn't involve.
Speaker 13: You, yeah it's.
Speaker 23: Interesting you, Know i've, been you, know with watching The Calm games, Recently i've been thinking about the great moments That i've been able to witness and be there in, person and you, know like there are. MOMENTS i think it was in twenty sixteen WHEN I i was racing there we got to watch May drysale race His olympic final and just being on that finish line and watching him win that race by a whisker was, incredible you, know back to back From. London him winning was quite especially WHEN i think there's something amazing when you are able to be there and witness. It but also a little bit more recently was the women's Rugby Wild cup here In auckland a few years. Ago just the it could feel the energy and the crowd and the willingness for our black friends to win The World cup was that was the epic as. Well AND i mean that really thrust a lot of those you, know those players into the spotlight and really highlighted professional. Sports so, yeah there's some.
Speaker 17: Where such a Cool we've had so many amazing.
Speaker 23: You know successes over the over the years and such a little. Country so, yeah there's probably a two sex spring to.
Speaker 3: Mind outstanding just to finish when we celebrate our two hundred years so one hundred years from, now when people are looking back and we're well, gone what do you what do you kind of hope people will will think and say when they when they Remember Dame Lisa.
Speaker 7: Carrington, YEAH i don't really.
Speaker 23: KNOW i THINK i, guess you, know we don't know If olympics is going to be the way we know today right like it's potentially the way the world's, going it's going to. Change SO i think just looking back and, thinking you, know the little you, know Little New zealand being able to produce excellence on the world stage and being really proud of, THAT i, think and believing that you, know anybody can kind of, work work hard and do amazing. Things SO i hope that just draws a bit of inspiration for people and a one hundred years, Time i'm sure you're far off.
Speaker 3: Memory i'm sure it'll. Be it'll be forever enshrined in our sporting. History Dame, lisa it's been great to chat to. You all the very best for a tremendously exciting time. AHEAD i can highly recommend. Parenthood i'm sure you're going to be great at it and we look forward to seeing seeing you then back on the water and charging TOWARDS la twenty twenty. Eight it's been a great pleasure to. Chat thanks for taking the.
Speaker 23: Call, oh thank you so, Much.
Speaker 3: No thank, You Dame. Lisa Dame Lisa carrington our Greatest, olympian eight gold, medals nine all up and an absolute delight exciting time for her about to become a mum and then back on the water and charging Towards la twenty twenty eight Six Murray deeker before. Three your favorite sporting memories from the last one hundred, years available to text them through or on the. Phone oh eight hundred eighty ten. Eighty this Is Weekend sport back in the month.
Speaker 2: One hundred years of bringing you the Big wins.
Speaker 13: Cup you see it's cut.
Speaker 2: The big, heartache.
Speaker 13: News and the big.
Speaker 8: Issues Hellier harry is the sound Of, Ice bobby's, Raining Joe shields and crash on.
Speaker 2: Us The Protests Weekends board With Jason tyne the right.
Speaker 1: And The audi two seven dynamic Black runout edition from one thirty nine nine Ninety News Talks it'd.
Speaker 3: Be two twenty, Nine bread, says While lisa is, Amazing punuck guilf For New Zealand you'll always be the. Best couldn't agree More, bread could not agree More High, Chris, Hi.
Speaker 21: Hi, jason great. Show look just my first memory of the Spring box At Lencaster park ninety six. FIVE i thought we had huge, forward then there's ran out And Alice, Stricter prix. Etcetera tiny. UDEA i don't know over fifty thousand there and you know sixteen all and udeas me getting done over in.
Speaker 19: The ruts by the All Black.
Speaker 21: Fords all day is a lock and with a wet laced up ball from in front in front of the, bank he kicks the winning.
Speaker 3: Goal. Yeah, man, Man it's amazing what you, remember isn't.
Speaker 5: It.
Speaker 3: Chris i've often SAID i don't know which day the bins go, out BUT i can remember stuff from forty to fifty years ago THAT i witnessed as a as a young, boy as obviously you can. Too, yes and and my.
Speaker 21: Fourth Warning, Memories well that was, one but also that series listening to it By John houston during the.
Speaker 3: Court, Yes John, Howson, yes So.
Speaker 21: John houston does the coll and you KNOW i need HEARD i Heard John howson a lot of. Times the other one was seventy six In montreal when we won the gold medal in the hockey AND i think it was All In. RICHARDS i don't think My john macbeest did it because he's From timur and So i'm pretty sure it Was Alan richards did the.
Speaker 19: Call there a.
Speaker 21: A he won At, headingley first Ever test win In. England Brian waddell eighty five and Pers Brian Waddle series win Against australia seventy four At Lancaster, park First test win ever Against, Australia Alan richards and then finishing up With Brian allen With brandon three hundred.
Speaker 11: To the.
Speaker 21: Base AND i was there as well and listening on the radio to what's, Again, yeah.
Speaker 3: Some great voices bringing us amazing. Moments, chris thanks for calling, through. Mate, yeah That's that's Something i've been thinking a lot about in the in the last few. Days is the is the voices that that have brought us these, Moments And chris mentioned a few. There one of the biggest influencers on me has Been Graham, moody the, late extremely Great Graham, Moody, moods his voice bringing us so many memorable. Moments the nineteen ninety Five Rugby World Cup final Of Alice. PARK i Think Murray deaker might have been alongside him that day in the expert comments, seat you, Know moods calling that in the ninety six tour and so many other iconic, moments so many iconic. Voices thanks for all your texts and feedback as. Well twenty Eight away from three speaking Of Murray, deeker a trailblazer in radio sports. Broadcasting he is with us right after this On Weekend. Sport the big names in sport have talked to us for one hundred.
Speaker 2: Years Good, Morning Everybody well on the.
Speaker 1: Air Weekend sport With Jason pain and THE udq Seven Dynamic Black Runout edition includes thirty thousand dollars of premium.
Speaker 2: Upgrades call oh eight hundred eighty ten Eighty News talk Z b.
Speaker 3: Two thirty five As News TALK sedb celebrates one hundred years of. Broadcasting there are certain voices that have become part Of New zealand's sporting, soundtrack and few are more recognizable Than Murray. Deecer's for more than thirty, Years murray was one of the country's most influential and uncompromising sports. Broadcasters his Programs Spark, Debate Broke, stories challenged the biggest names in sport and gave listeners a platform to have their. Say whether you agreed with him or, not you always listened along the. Way he won the award For Best Sports Presenter commentator seven, times was a finalist on another ten. Occasions was appointed An officer of The New Zealand order Of merit for services To broadcasting in two thousand and nine and received The Outstanding contribution To Radio award in twenty. Fourteen but perhaps his greatest achievement was becoming one of the defining voices Of New zealand sport across a. Generation as we celebrate a century of news, talks 'b a great pleasure to welcome back one of the statesations broadcasting. Legends Murray deeker is with. Us, murray great to have you on the. Air you spent nearly thirty years behind the microphone here At News Talk. Zbaby when you first walked into the zb, studio did you have any idea what the journey would?
Speaker 16: Become, pony that's an outstanding. Introduction, listen the checker is on the. Way you've got it word for.
Speaker 3: It, well a man of your quality deserves an intro like. That but where did it all?
Speaker 16: Begin, well it basically, began as things often. DO i was a replacement for other, people mainly For Andy, hayden and he did a show between eleven and. Twelve and at the TIME i was running The foundation For alcohol And Drug education and the mative minde was packing. Pies he was running a pie factory and he looked. Down he was the only Person i'd told THAT i had to get out of the area of drug and alcohol. Education only person he looked down he saw scoreboard presenter. Required he rang me. Up he, said, mate this is your. Job you should get into. THIS i Rang Bill francis said to, Me, NO i didn't think you'd be interested in, that because you dedicated to the area of. EDUCATION i, said, Mate i've had an absolute cuts full of. It i'm ready to move. On what, Happened, fortunately was it a guy WHO i don't know Called bill McLaren bill McCarthy And wellington had been already, appointed but he was arguing about the money that they were, paying and it was no wonder the money was. Pathetic and so while he was arguing with, that they gave me a. Trial AND i had been sitting in that seat where you sat, too And i'd been there about an hour and a, half AND i thought that this Jacket wellington comes, Up i'll kill him BECAUSE i knew that this was the job for.
Speaker 3: Me well it was the job for, you and your style became a legendary. Passionate you were, Fourth you were never afraid to ask difficult. Questions did that style come naturally or was it something you developed over? Time, no it was.
Speaker 16: NATURAL i felt it was my job to ask the questions that the listener, wanted asked that the bloke sitting in the car driving along or the woman preparing dinner would have asked WHOEVER i was, interviewing and that led at times to tough, questions controversial, questions and it didn't. MATTER i viewed it very carefully THAT i was there for two, things for the listeners and to promote, sport and that was. It and of personalities got in the way or that was their, problem not.
Speaker 3: Mine did you ever think to, yourself, All i've gone a bit far there or did you never think?
Speaker 5: That?
Speaker 16: NO i never thought that never crossed my.
Speaker 3: Mind on talk, radio we tend to use a delay function that allows us to dump anything which shouldn't go to Where NOW i understand that you would often broadcast without a. Delay so did you ever get caught?
Speaker 11: Out, yeah.
Speaker 16: Totally i'm coached In New Aukland Secondary school's rugby team in one of the outstanding players and it was a guy Called Murray. Dixon it was a team that had in It Shawn, Fitzpatrick farnobodika. Feenie you, know there were a lot of great players mark great batchels in, them but the spot was off the back of the line out and he was the. Star AND i sort of forgot about him AS i moved into. Radio and then about nineteen ninety two he ranged me up at home and SAID i need a. Favor AND i, SAID, dicko what is? It and he, SAID i need to get on your radio. Program i'm working For epiglass And i'm meant to be selling this stuff and he, said you, KNOW i need a plug AND i, said just doesn't work like, that, MATE i can't do. It AND i could hear the disappointment coming all the way from West auckland to. Me AND i said to, him, listen does every glass sponsor or? Anything and he, said, yeah The Tenor. Cup AND i didn't have a clue what he was talking, about AND i, said, well when's that? On he said next week In New plymouth and this is a race for in pea class yachts.
Speaker 6: For little boys and.
Speaker 16: Girls and SO i, said you go down, there take a mobile phone with you and cover it And i'll come to. You SO i come into Z b at about eleven o'clock an hour before we started by that stage, buildings as he often, did my producers have a gap OF plexi he, said who's this snipwork you've got coming? ON i, said what are you talking? About he, said we're announcing an all black team at twelve. O'clock if this joker wants to wants to go on before.
Speaker 22: Them and.
Speaker 16: So at two o'clock what happened was This we FINALLY i calmed Down murray AND i said to, him, mate we'll have you on straight. Up the music, too and after THE us it. Too it went like, This.
Speaker 22: It is The.
Speaker 16: America's cup of secondary school. Yachting the greats have been, Here, Blake, Dixon, barker they've all. Competed and now to cover this event and association With, epiglass that wonderful product that we've got Is Murray. Dixon murray was in a tin boat and he stood out of the tin boat and stood on a, crab and so the class cross, went our man down there Is Murray. Dixon. Shit oh, sorry, deeps BUT i stood on a flippant. Grab now the word wasn't, flippant but it was rhymed with.
Speaker 3: It, amazing, amazing.
Speaker 16: Stuff not one, complank not one, Complaint. Piney people just know when someone's genuine or. Not dixon denies a path of the time WHEN i run into.
Speaker 3: That's. Magnificent you Mentioned Greg billings, there your longtime. Producer tell us a bit more about.
Speaker 16: Him, yeah twenty three years he produced that. Program he's got he's got an amazing feel for. Radio he'd been in it all his. Life you, SEE i hadn't. Been and WHEN i came, in all he did was grizzly moan and yell at. Me AND i had to fill in for Late In smith one, day And Carolyn leane he said after the, intro, jeekes that was. Terrific AND i looked up at her and thought she was taking the piss out of, me because that's All gregor and ever. Done and YET i could not have wished for a better. Producer he suited my. Style he was very loyal to me behind my.
Speaker 11: Back he just.
Speaker 15: Defended me all the.
Speaker 16: Time that's got sick of doing. It and for twenty three. Years we went to war. Together and he read me about three days ago and he said to, Me i've just sent a nd AND i won't mention the radio. Station it's not. Ours he, Said i've just seen an ad for a program on A. Saturday it's got four. Producers can you imagine? That AND i thought to, Myself, greg you know you produced. It we did six hours On, saturday six hours On, sunday every public. HOLIDAY i did two hundred and fourteen shows in a row BECAUSE i wasn't prepared to not go on in case that guy from McCarthy From wellington came up and on a, receipt SO i wasn't going to let anyone else in.
Speaker 5: There and we just worked.
Speaker 16: Together And i've probably spent more time with him THAN i have with my, wife and you, know AND i live with. Her But greg AND i just got, on and you, know we still get. On we still, argue and we still, fight and he still tells me off AND i still tell him WHAT i think of. Him BUT i would not have swapped him for.
Speaker 3: Anyone, yeah he is a brilliant. Guy he used to ring, Up It's greg from the. Radio that's all you needed to. Know It's greg from the. Radio and everybody.
Speaker 13: Knew who he.
Speaker 3: Was viewed hundreds thousands of sports, people. Digs who do you admire the?
Speaker 2: Most richie McCaw.
Speaker 16: For all sorts of reasons his captaincy winning The World cup on one, leg but a personal, Side richie has incredible royalty to. People so On rebel with A cause ON, TV i Imitated hanson and you know how he, diversity it's going to be down the, dub all that sort of stuff that he was, doing AND i did it all at the.
Speaker 13: End of the.
Speaker 16: Program richie had been injured and had been appearing on my radio show at the top of the program and people had loved. It so AFTER i had done, that we went to cross to him and he wasn't. There we made inquiries and he's message came, back If mary's going to criticize my friends like, THAT i don't want to barron. It SO i wasn't going to back. DOWN i seen him a message saying. YOU i, said you, Know henson had been sitting straight opposite me AND i said the same.
Speaker 5: Thing and.
Speaker 16: We didn't make contact again for three or four. MONTHS i was going through a period where BASICALLY i couldn't get any all black on my show at. ALL i went through a period one time pinety of about three. Years people weren't aware of it BECAUSE i just talked about them instead of to. Them, ANYWAY i couldn't get to, anyone AND i applied to through the kennels and came through. That, Yes George duncan would come. On he was the message, guy And Richard gill who was the fit this, guy and then McCaw And richie flew up From christchurch went on THE tv. Show of course we recorded at for radio as, well and after the show we were driving to the hotel he was staying In Spencer On byron AND i, Said, TOM i really appreciate you coming, up And richie just looked at me and he, said, well that's in the, Past, Murray let's move. On and that's the mark of the. Man he is, spectacular no question about. It EVERYTHING i had to do with him was to do with, loyal, humility total, essence no wonder The All blacks played well under.
Speaker 3: Him you've Seen New zealand sport evolve enormously both during your time behind the, mic all of that time and the time Since. Murray in your, eyes what has changed the most for better and also for.
Speaker 16: Worse standards are, HIGHER i, reckon the times are, better the skills are more, developed and the professionalism is becoming a. Parent what's, worse club sport has, suffered particularly, rugby And i'm disappointed in. THAT i get told by the guys at North Shore Rugby club So i'm In gunbury and co that their clubs has. Gone and in fact it is true that in some areas club rugby is still, strong but there are less numbers. Playing AND i think that has a lot to do with the fact that there is too much concentration on the top of the pyramid and not enough on the grass. Roots New zealand sport is strong when the grass roots are. Strong and IF i was to find one other thing that stands out to, me and it just stands out so. CLEARLY i cannot believe the success That New zealand cricket. Has people don't talk about. It there is no other country in the world has ever gone To india and won A test series three. Nil we were the first to win the Inaugural Test. Championship we were beaten that time when the bat ball Hit stokes as bat in the fifty to. Fifty we go to The West indies with a team And i'm looking at these jokers that are playing over. THERE i don't even have a clue who they. Are they've been pulled in off the paddic and they beat The West. Indies could, god The West indians used to murder. Us cricket gets a bum rush from today's media there are it very rarely leads THE tv in zen. News and you, Know i'm waiting to hope That Andrew saville is at our reunion BECAUSE i want to get right at his ear and chewy about because he could do something on. That cricket has been the success story for. Me women's sports getting more. Emphasis why? Not and you do, that and you do without thinking about. IT i actually used to think about making sure that it was women's sport on my program because in those, days the person who was in charge of the radio in the house was the white AND i wanted to get ratings, up and SO i used to do a lot on, netball in, particular because it was a SPORT i knew a little bit about because.
Speaker 5: My sister played.
Speaker 3: It very sound strategy just to finish. Stakes zedby's been part Of New Yellen holmes for one hundred years, now one hundred. Years when people look back at your, contribution your significant contribution to THE zb, story what do you hope they. REMEMBER i hope they.
Speaker 16: Put a smile on their, face AND i hope that they, think, hey he told it the way he saw. It sometimes he got it, wrong sometimes he got it. Right but he told it with, passion and he told it with almost. Love because, really When i'm asked what are the things THAT i like in my, world sport is right up. There family first and then sports second for. Me and it will always be like, That AND i hope that that's what people, remember because it was with out doubt the time of my life THAT i will always look back on with warmths and with the fact THAT i worked with a gang of good, people but particularly the relationship With billings was important One.
Speaker 3: MURRAY i just wanted to finish by thanking you personally for the trail that you blazed for everyone who's followed you into the wonderful world of. Sport on news talks he'd BE i listened to you growing up and as a young man and never believed i'd be given the honor of the same microphone that you. Had none of us will ever match what you did or the impact and influence you had on many many. People congratulations on your hugely significant role in our broadcasting. History and thanks for joining us this. Afternoon you're too.
Speaker 16: Kind keep up the good work and keep doing the job that most people would give their right arm, for and especially, Me i'd give the whole.
Speaker 3: Lot we should get you back In. Dicks good to jet to, You Murray, dicker the one only eight and a half to Three News.
Speaker 1: Talks he'd be the big names and the big calls on your home of Sport Weekend sport With Jason Fine News.
Speaker 3: Talks dB el, says a great interview With. Dex are you two going to the same barber these these? Days? Hell, yes we have a very similar. Hairstyle that's us for. Today huge thanks To anny McDonald for pulling everything. Together good on you. Mate well we'll see you tomorrow night On Sports. Talk thank you for listening In after three It's Tim beverage with The Weekend. Collective just as we, close as we bring up one hundred years of coming out of here, speakers it is NATURAL i think to ask what the future might be for. Radio it is my belief that we will always need. Audio there are many times in our lives when we can't watch or read, something but we can always listen to. IT i believe the spoken word will be transmitted in some, way shape or form until the end of. Time, personally it has been an absolute joy playing my small part on News. TALKS i love coming here every day and carrying the legacy of this radio. Station The All blacks often say they're only the caretakers of the jersey that they. WEAR i feel the same about our. Microphones no one is bigger than the radio, station and all we can and should strive for is contributing our chapter and leaving it better than we found. It it was my honor and privilege to turn the microphone on just once on this iconic radio. Station to be trusted with it every weekend is SOMETHING i will never ever take for. Granted So happy, Birthday News talk. Zbat here's to the next one.
Speaker 13: Hundred say.
Speaker 11: We all a got a hundred years to live.
Speaker 2: For more From Weekends sport With Jason.
Speaker 1: Fine listen live To News talks It be weekends from midday or follow the podcast On.
Speaker 2: iHeartRadio