Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News TALKSTB. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio The.
Speaker 2: Big League podcast podcast play News TALKSB.
Speaker 3: This week on the b LP, Wade Egan stops by for a chat after the Warriors wind streak ends at five. Michael Burgess challenges camera coach Ricky Stewart after his sides aggressive tactics and does the NL need to seriously consider a mid season representative break. My name is Nick Buley. Let's go b LP. Ah, here we go again. The Warriors lose and the pitchfork's are out. The keyboards are being bashed too many eras, they've got nothing on attack. They're soft through the middle. It goes on and on and look, well, I admire the passion from the fan base and some questions do need to be asked. Can we please take a collective breath and cut the doomsday nonsense? The Warriors were not far off beating a very good Canberra team without their co captains, arguably their two most influential players. Let's not lose sight of the big picture. They are third third on the NRL table. Was it a disappointing result?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Is it season defining no Michael Burgess, Senior Sports rider at the New Zealand Herald.
Speaker 4: Have I gone soft or I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 3: What was your initial take after Sunday's performance and defeat.
Speaker 5: It's a good point, you know.
Speaker 6: I think the reaction, the frustration, the anger even is being felt because people know that they could have won that game and how big it would have if they managed to jag that win on Sunday, that would have been a massive result and even more momentum, and it was there. But they weren't quite good enough. That doesn't mean they didn't play well. I thought they played quite well. They just weren't clinical enough. And the Raiders are a very good team, very good team. You know, they're better than any of the teams the Warriors have played lately. I think looking back across the season, maybe the Raiders are probably only second to the Storm in terms of who the Warriors are faced. So Raiders are a very good team. Tough conditions. Without their two leaders, they still had a real go. But I can see I can understand the frustration because people know how important this could have been, especially given they've got what have they got coming up, Rabbitos Away, Sharks Away and then Penrith for memory.
Speaker 5: So they've got a tough run coming up. So understand the frustration.
Speaker 6: But I agree with you not season defining, and there were things to like, which we'll get into in a minute.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we certainly will.
Speaker 3: And look, I want to get into the attack specifically as one of them.
Speaker 4: I want to also get into it.
Speaker 3: But a press conference back and forth featuring yours truly, But look, before we get to that, special guest Wade Egan stop by for a chat with you Burge for his take on that sixteen to ten loss to Canberra.
Speaker 6: Hell of a battle tonight. Look like a credibly tense game.
Speaker 5: What did you make of it?
Speaker 7: Yeah, they're a good side can Berus are. Yeah, very tense game. And yeah we probably just left a few chances out there. I thought were pretty good defensively other than a few lapses. But yeah, we probably should have sort of scored some points at about tennis toga.
Speaker 5: Was that the difference? You think? Just all that rid zone ball and you couldn't make the most of it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we got held up a couple of times. I will close a few times, and yeah, we just didn't nice our chances. I think we are a few little communication sort of areas as well on ages and which is disappointing, but I thought we can take a lot out of it, like we're good defensively.
Speaker 5: And how do we get sort of build on that.
Speaker 6: How hard are they to play against the special with their defense which seems to sort of swarm and slide at the same time.
Speaker 5: No, they're a very good team.
Speaker 7: They're probably the best team we've played so far this year.
Speaker 5: Obviously played them twice, but I think they're probably other than probably Melbourne. I guess them in Melbourne are probably the toughest opposition we face. And they're there.
Speaker 7: Backfield, just outstanding out there the way they carry the ball.
Speaker 5: So credit to them.
Speaker 7: They played really well, and then they're going to be a pretty tough team to be.
Speaker 5: I think that you made here.
Speaker 6: How crucial were those two simboning periods. They score when they're down to twelve men and then they also score on you when chance gets gets burned.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's disappointing obviously, probe more disappointing when we had sorry, they had twelve men and they scored. So yeah, I guess we'll look at an interview and hopefully sort of take things we can improved from.
Speaker 6: On a positive note. Happy with the defensive.
Speaker 7: Effort, Yeah, yeah, definitely, that's sort of what we're trying to pride ourselves on their defensive effort.
Speaker 5: And I thought we were really good for most of the game tonight.
Speaker 7: Obviously got a few few tries in there, but our goal on defense is pretty good and we can take some pretty good complies.
Speaker 3: Out of that.
Speaker 5: Everyone's feeling a bit down.
Speaker 6: But if you look at thirteen weeks on from Las Vegas against the same team, can you.
Speaker 5: See can you see a lot of progress? Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, a lot of progress made. But yeah, we're definitely not happy with the loss. You know, even though we won a few in a row, we definitely wanted to.
Speaker 5: We thought we'd sort of.
Speaker 7: Left one out out tonight, and yeah, it's very disappointing. But we go again next week and yeah, we're sort of I guess we progressretty well since since round one, but yeah, we're still not out near where we.
Speaker 5: Want to be.
Speaker 6: Does that show our father's teams come that that you're you're all pretty pretty flat after this?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I think so, mate.
Speaker 7: Obviously, I think we hold ourselves to pretty high standards and if you don't win, it's sort of a I guess the disappointed resolved for us.
Speaker 5: But I guess we can take some good things.
Speaker 7: Out of that game as well, especially out of fence. So yeah, we're revealed tomorrow and to go from there, how.
Speaker 6: Were you feeling with sort of five ten minutes to go? Do you think you were you were going to do it?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Well, I think Big Maratha got held up, like he just missed there. And you know, we're close to Scrin a couple other times, so we definitely threw some good shots at.
Speaker 5: Him, but we just yeh couldn't get over.
Speaker 6: One night and Joseph Tupp and he just told us that it does sort of mean more to him playing against the Warriors than other in there our teams, with his family in the crowd, and you know, he's a key with it felt like he was on a bit of a man on a mission tonight. He's how tough is he.
Speaker 5: Is an opponent?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Yeah, he's a world class player. Obviously, he's one of the of the best front rolls in the game. And yeah, I guess it is sort of a bonus for him coming back home and playing in front of his friends and family, and yeah, he was. He was really good tonight and he's he's he's good most week's made his Yeah, as I said, one of the best front rollers.
Speaker 5: And yeah, he had a games hot.
Speaker 6: And finally, how are you coping with the load, all the travel you had recently and all these all these close games?
Speaker 5: How are you feeling physically? Yeah? No, feeling good, mate.
Speaker 7: I think I've sort of the Fittestuf've sort of being I guess in healthier stuff, sort of.
Speaker 5: Been for a while.
Speaker 7: So yeah, feeling really good and yeah, hopefully keeping knocking the knocking the games up.
Speaker 5: Did it? Did it hurt a bit? The origin situation?
Speaker 7: Oh, I'm not not, not really mate. If I if I get the call it one day to be awesome. But until it, I'm just sort of focused on playing for footy for Warriors.
Speaker 5: And if if a chance comes, I guess I'll take it. But yeah, until then, I'm focusing the worst.
Speaker 6: Is it nice though, that you're right in the frame and there were some people a bit surprised that you you didn't get the call it.
Speaker 5: That must be a nice feeling I get. Yeah, yeah, it is a nice feeling.
Speaker 7: Mate, I guess, Yeah, sort of Coulter be up in I guess mentioned in the likes that Arena.
Speaker 5: So yeah, sort of a dream.
Speaker 7: As a kid wander a young Feller and Risko who South Wales trying to grow up and play Origin. But yeah, it is also also pretty cool just to be mentioned in so I guess arena.
Speaker 2: This is the Big League podcast.
Speaker 1: This is going on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Big League podcast on the Warriors band wagons since day one.
Speaker 3: Well Berger, before we unpack the Warriors performance, a lot of commentary online about the way the camera Raiders went about their work.
Speaker 4: They had two.
Speaker 3: Synbons, four players put on report, ten penalties committed in all but to carry on postmatcht howsari if you want to call it that which has riled up some Warriors supporters. It sounds like the players we're giving it back after a few Warriors fans were dishing it out during the game. Here's Ricky Sture more specifically on some of those incidents around aggression. This all came about unprompted by the way Ricky Stewett talking about his team's approach.
Speaker 8: We could getting told these games about entertainment and that was an entertaining game tonight. But we can't discipline aggression because our game, our broadcast is promote aggression. We've got to be real careful that we don't go and want to scrutinize aggressive actions in a game that is molded on pure aggression and passion. On Wednesday night, we've got the one of the most special games in our calendar happening, and it's created the profile and the culture. The passion of origin is through aggression. My promoting foul play. But I got panealizing and I don't mean penalizing out there. But with match review committees, we can't gauge as willing nelly passion players for aggression.
Speaker 3: And here you are, Michael Burr, just challenging Ricky Stewart's position as you.
Speaker 8: Say, you feel like you when he releases Joe's when you release his head. That's what we practice to do. But we practice releasing the head and less I didn't say I've said it wrong, but you spoke the referee about releasing your head. And I'm not, as I say, like, I'm not promoting for.
Speaker 4: Our playmate, not promoting for oul playmate.
Speaker 3: I enjoyed that that little tip for tat there, Michael Burgess, and look, you're there as a journalist asking the hard questions which we want to hear and answer from. But you are on here on the Big League Podcast as an analyst. You're there live obviously. Did you think the camera raid has crossed the line?
Speaker 5: Probably? Probably?
Speaker 6: I mean, it's a tricky one, isn't it, because you know that they are a very aggressive team. It's an aggressive game. All teams have their enforces. I just look like maybe they pushed the boundaries a bit too much.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: I hate crusher tackles, I really do. And sometimes they're accidental, sometimes they're not. But I didn't like what I saw with that. There are a couple of high shots, a couple of shoulder charges, but it just felt like they were out to intimidate, which you know is part of the game. And good on them because they were coming to Mount Smart thirty thousand people.
Speaker 5: They had to do it. They wanted to upset the Warriors. They did it well.
Speaker 6: The Warriors probably lack enforces in a way without Fisher, Harrison Barnett on the field, but I thought there probably could have been another syn been in there, and I just think Ricky Stewart. You know, origin is different, unusual, parallel to draw, but also you've just got to you do still have to protect the players to some degree.
Speaker 3: I agree, and look, I thought one of the most frustrating people out there in the field on Sunday night was Adam g the referee. He was really trying to get a handle on both teams, showing real willingness and intense and agree call it what you like. And then around the discipline around six to goes and offside penalties, he went to the Synburn option. Even then that didn't seem to prove a deterrent for poor discipline and it just sort of unraveled for the Earth. Will be interesting at this point in time as we go to record. At some stage this afternoon Monday afternoon, the Nral judiciary will come out with a report looking at those incidents. Jacob Laban was the other one on report outside of the four Raiders incidents.
Speaker 4: That was for something we don't see all that often.
Speaker 3: Too, burge a raised leg off a kickoff reception into the contact into a defenders.
Speaker 4: Sorry, so that'll be an interesting one as well.
Speaker 3: Let's part that for the time being, though, Let's get to the Warriors, and look, they had their chances, particularly late. I mean on another night, ma Arter, their cord reaches out there and dots it down. He was held up centimeters short. But look, I think you nailed it in your report. They were pretty poor during those sinbinning periods. Not often you see a camera team or an opponent go down a player and still able to win the arm wrestler in terms of posision, field position and the points.
Speaker 4: That's when they scored one of their tries.
Speaker 3: And then when Chance Nickel Klukstar was yellowcarded or sinbind in the second half, camera then scored again. So that was one that Andrew Webster I'm sure will reflect on and know that their game drivers need to be better.
Speaker 5: They do.
Speaker 6: I mean, that was a key We talk about turning points, but that was a key turning point. The Raider has just gone down to twelve men, Warriors hot on the attack, They've got the lead, gig got momentum. They get a penalty as well, of course, and they go wide from that penalty. I think it was Chance that tried to sort of no look past to Roger on the first or second tackle. It goes over the sideline and then I think on their next set was when Chanelle spilled the ball and that was just about the only time they had the ball in that ten minute period. Otherwise the Raiders were camped in their line. They scored a try, so I think things started to unravel there because if the Warriors go to halftime it's a fourteen nil, which they could have done, then it's a very different game and it's probably enough enough to get home. But the Raiders got back into the game in that period and they were the ones feeling good at halftime. So yeah, not making the most of those of those the period of the symbenning was really really frustrating for the team and I'm sure the crowd.
Speaker 3: Well, let's take away look down at the attack because I suppose over the last three weeks now two of which have obviously been wins. But if we look at the last three weeks, just scored the six tries. One on Sunday night against Canberra, that being Roger tw e vasishit good finish in the left wing corner.
Speaker 4: And we were.
Speaker 3: Talking last week Burge more about it felt like a slight shift for mine from a positive standpoint on the fifth tackle options of Shanelle Harris Tavita and Luke Metcalf. It felt like they were moving in the right direction. Sunday night against the Raiders. Look, it wasn't easy. We're the wise against a very good team, missing your two premiere props. But so the backs aroundable to perhaps fully function off front football, but it just looked a little bit clunky combinations, a little bit off. Ali l'attawa coming back in on that right center position. Lekahala Sima just there was a bit of a disconnected there and I noticed he actually ended up getting subbed off having played eighty minutes the week before for a couple of repeated eras. Here's Andrew Webster's thoughts first.
Speaker 4: On the attack before we unpack it.
Speaker 9: There's some really good attack, there was some frustrating So it just wasn't going to be a night to go around them, to try and go hands hands hands.
Speaker 5: Well, Roger scored one.
Speaker 9: But after that we tried to do that a couple of times. It just wasn't a night for that. We looked on unorganized at times. But we'll call the players and some blokes turn turning up with the no and their roles, so something you just got to we've got to really fix this week.
Speaker 4: What do you make of the attack Verge?
Speaker 6: I mean, Wade Egan made a good point when I talked to him after the game about the communication was a bit off, which he said is disappointing because there's one thing, regardless of other things in the match, the communication should always be there. But as webs are alluded to, some of the some of the calls and the plans went a right. I think the thing here is that we've got to look a bit deeper. It's not so much about the fifth tackle options. It's about what's happening on tackle two, three and four in the red zone. Because there's not much happening. So they get to the fifth tackle, they're not on the front foot, they haven't asked questions. That offence is swarming all around, and then it makes it even harder to come up with something that's the That's the genius of teams like the Storm is that they do so much earlier in the count when there in the red zone. By the time they get to the fifth tackle, you've got camera Munster or Pappenhausen or someone who's got or Hughes who's got time and they set up a play and bomb, So there are issues there. Metcalf Luke feels like he's still doing things off the cuff a bit, which is fine because that's how he plays. But there's there's got to be a balance, and there were points in that game weren't there where the Warriors had a lot of repeat sets and didn't create too much. There are caveats. The conditions made it hard. Raiders' defense is amazing. They've got one of the best defense in the competition. They seem to be able to slide and jam at the same time, and they were pushing it with the offside and doing it well. So you put those treasons together. But there had to be a bit more variety, didn't they.
Speaker 3: That was the word I was about to use, variety. And there's been criticism or scrutiny around, you know, the same sort of attacking shape or the Warriors being just a little bit predictable or one dimensional, you know, heading that short man whether it's near Corda or a Hallaesima at second row and then trying to play out the back or trying to get it out to Dallen or Roger without sort of earning the rights and as you say, that's where Melbourne are so effective, was sort of so much so much going on and attack, creating a decision in the defensive line, and then ultimately seeing that wilt. So it will be interesting going forward. Before we move on Tomighty Martin has been sort of lurking in and around the interchange role, various roles. He actually ended up slotting into fullback with Charles Nickel Klokstar Sinbins in the second half and then he sort of floated around as a sort of playmaking locke. I suppose he was a middle ford really when Chars came back on, Wade Egan was still on the field.
Speaker 4: Is that an option going forward?
Speaker 3: Did you like what Tomighty was able to offer or is that even a case then of cluttering things even further, because then you've got what is it for playmakers or trying to do something to inspire something on attack?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it can clatter, can't.
Speaker 6: And you notice when Tomarty does come come in and try to play make Chanelle sort of takes a bit of a back seat.
Speaker 5: But I like what Tomati does.
Speaker 6: He's a bit different to his approach, so I think that's worth per savering with it's a point of difference. That's what Andrew Webs is thinking. And on Lecky, you mentioned him before. I think the thing with Leccer we're forgetting is he's only played a handful of games and this does happen to young guys.
Speaker 5: And maybe you know, I still like him as an impact player.
Speaker 6: I think he's been great starting, but he's great as an impact player. Maybe he needs a couple of games where he's back to being an impact player. Of course, it's hard to have a guy on the bench as a second rower. It changes your rotation a bit. But you know, I wouldn't be too worried about what he did on Sundays, just a young guy that that'll happen. He gets targeted and makes a couple of mistakes. There's no doubt he's a gun, but you just need to manage his time.
Speaker 2: The Big League Podcast for the biggest league fans, The Big League Podcast on.
Speaker 4: The Warriors Bad Wagons.
Speaker 5: Since day one, you.
Speaker 3: Are on The Big League Podcast neck Bulian for Nathan Love alongside Michael Burges. We're going to get to Sunday's game. This Sunday's game against South Sydney during our quick fire predictions. But I did want to get into what's becoming an age old issue, Burge, and that is, should the NRL continue during State of Origin? Could we alternatively have a three week representative break?
Speaker 4: For example?
Speaker 3: And I bring this up because on the weekend we have five upsets in a condensed round. Maybe I'm just angry because I went none from five and tipping. But the Bulldogs, for example, there top of the table, hampered significantly by losing players to Origin, which game ones on Wednesday, and are thrashed by the Dolphins. We effectively end up getting this for six weeks of the NRAL because it's both before and after an Origin game which is held midweek on a Wednesday. And look, I really start feeling for the good teams who have deserved their place on the NRAL ladder, who are then unfairly punished having good players. This issue won't go away, I know, Burge. In the past, there's been discussions around do we move into the end of the year. Doesn't feel like the players really want to batter themselves after a big NRL season, then have three weeks of Origin tagged on to the end.
Speaker 4: There'll be expansion at some point with.
Speaker 3: The Perth Bears and the Papua New Guinea team and potentially another entry to take it to twenty that could then see a change in the schedule. What is the answer here, because at the moment it doesn't feel like we're in a good situation for the competition or the integrity of the competition, at least that's my view.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a good point.
Speaker 6: I hadn't thought about it exactly how you worded it, And you're right. The big teams kind of do get punished, don't they for their performances and having good players that end the playing origin. I mean, I guess the other side of that is you've got teams like the Roosters in the Storm that have a lot of good players and seem to have a lot of money, and people wouldn't feel as sorry for them in that way. But it's hard to think of other competitions, sporting competitions of the world where it does become so lopsid a different times and these teams get effectively burdened for having star players. The answer is exactly right. There needs to be a break, ideally with some tests thrown in there. This is another topic for another podcast Nick, But test match footy is becoming more and more irrelevant, and it's so sad because it's sort of been disappeared to November and by then a lot of players aren't available on a play, whereas you've got to at least have one mid year test with some specific games as well. The problem is it will never happen because the broadcasters they just need content. All they care about is content. And if then I go to them and say, look, we're going to shave, We're going to shave three weekends off, they're saying, well, what do we want in return?
Speaker 5: It's a real shame. What you need here.
Speaker 6: You need the top people at Channel and at Fox taking a a more holistic view and saying players need a break. You get better competition, less injuries if you have a a more realistic season instead of just bloody burning them like they do to be great.
Speaker 3: You know, I'd really like to know and maybe put in some inquiries with a Fox or A nine or a Sky. Is there a dip in broadcast viewership during this period? Because I look at some of those teams and I follow NRAL closely and with the greatest respect, I haven't heard of some of these guys that are just popping up Willie Nelly out a reserve grade.
Speaker 4: You know, is that what we want for the competition?
Speaker 3: Don't we want our best players playing, as you say, a content beast. But I'm growing increasingly frustrated around Yeah, as you say, what other competition does this happen? Where I know State of Origin is king in terms of the revenue that's created and the broadcast interest there, but we're pulling away forty forty five of the best players and we're getting to a situation where I think it might hurt a team in the grand scheme of things, perhaps making the eight. And look, it's a funny thing to say in many ways because I know it's benefited the Warriors over the years. And yes they lost just the Mitch Barnett at the week just being but yeah, I just wonder if there's a simple solution, as you say, if you then had a break, you can reinvigorate Test football. I know that complicates things even further because we're currently got a situation where salm Old and Tonguan players are playing Origin as well. But who's to say we couldn't have a Kiwi's England Series Super leagu'es just finished we summer tour or something like that.
Speaker 4: P and G. I don't know, But it's a talking.
Speaker 3: Point, isn't it, Because I know we're going to get into our quick fire predictions shortly, but I'm just for the sake of it going to pick all the teams that I don't think are going to win, because it's just an absolute lottery at the moment. Like we both went none from five and that's purely with team who are below. We went with basically all favorites. And yeah, I just wonder is it good for the competition creating this this lottery situation when players are absent through origin.
Speaker 4: My argument would be it's not.
Speaker 6: There has been over the years a bit of romance around this period too, because you had players you haven't seen before come along, play a couple of games, and then the next season they're in first grade. And I remember often they talk about the baby Broncos back in the days when the Broncos had so many Queensland players, you know, and they or a Storm team that was devoid of a few of their stars, or that the Storm always been lucky. Because I've drenly had a lot of Kiwis, so the Kiwis of course are still playing. So yeah, there's some people like the interests that creates having some new names in there. But I just think the other thing is asking way too much of the players. It's not it's actually it's actually worse. It's worse what happens this weekend. The fact they're playing an Origin game on Wednesday night, which is the toughest thing they do all year, and then they're expected to back up on Friday night. You know, you had players in the past back and a half to forty eight hours. I think Camera Smith once played on well many times on a Friday night after playing Wednesday, and they meant to play Friday, Satday, Sunday. And the bodies aren't aren't designed for that, but they're loyal to their club. They're kind of expected to play. That's crazy stuff. But I think from a welfare point of view, because then you probably get more injuries this weekend because of it, et cetera, et cetera. It's another can of worms. From a welfare point of view, it needs to be looked at and the next broadcast deal. Let's hope this is on the.
Speaker 2: Gender big Moments the Big League Podcast.
Speaker 3: On that note, Birch, let's get into some quick fire predictions. We'll start with State of Origin A because Wednesday night, I know you'll be glued to your TV as will I an intriguing series. This New South Wales, fair to say coming in his favorites having won last year, but that was under Michael McGuire, who is now under serious pressure as a Brisbane Broncos here coach Larry Daily comes back in first game is in Brisbane, so there is obviously that home advantage there for Queensland.
Speaker 4: Which way do you see this one going?
Speaker 5: First of all, Nick, I can't remember are you Are you a blues.
Speaker 3: Man or I'd have to say morons if I was really pushed. I'm not super passionate about it. But yeah, if one or the other that I'd go with Queensland. I think that's just I don't know.
Speaker 4: I went with that.
Speaker 3: Then my stepbrother supported New South Wales and I just thought it'd be different.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, I mean I think I think it's still light a key. We still love Queensland from back in the Allen Langer Wally Lewis days, I think right. And then there was a long period when they were the underdogs for a long time, and then that period where they were unbeatable for a long time. But for some reason we seem to follow Queensland and a lot more. I know that frustrates change. Your Webster's always saying he runs into so many, so many Queensland fans on his walks around around the eastern suburbs. I'm delaying this though, because I'm really not sure Queensland at home and they kind of have to win because if you lose the first game at home it makes the series really really hard. But it's hard to tip against New South Wales. They do look like the better team on paper. They look like they've got more weapons certainly, and probably a bit more size. So it's going to take one of those underdog Queensland spirit type efforts to do it. I think Queensland, if they win, will have to win it late. New South Wales is more of a team that could build a lead and go on with it. So I will, against my heart, will I will tip New South Wales.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll go Queensland. And as you say, I think, yeah, they're going to have to grind away almost Warriors esque where it's just built on effort, scramble, defense and a couple of key moments. I'm really intrigued actually to see how Mitchell, Moses and Nathan Cleary combine as a five eighths halfback duo to sort of Premier seven's in the NRL.
Speaker 4: Do we see more of Moses as a runner? Do we see more of Area is a runner?
Speaker 3: Or do they just sort of duel half back if you like, just own a side of the field each. But very much looking forward to Wednesday night. Then we kick into the NRL and what have we got? A seven game slates? As you mentioned, Bird, there will be some. I'm just trying to wrap my brain off the top of my head. Dragons Knights is the Friday night game. Newcastle representatives, Kaylen Ponger. You think, surely, Kaylen Ponger wouldn't back up forty eight hours. We've seen, as you said, Caam Smith do it in the past, but Dragons Knights the Nights out of nowhere without Ponger beating Penrith.
Speaker 5: At the weekend, Yeah, there was out of nowhere.
Speaker 6: I guess it just shows you know, they would do to put in a good performance. They've had a terrible season, but on paper they've still got a good team, so I was happy for them because it's been pretty miserable for the nights.
Speaker 5: But I can't see continuing. I think I like the Dragons in this.
Speaker 3: I'm going to go Newcastle because I like the Dragons too. And this is the NRL, as we know, during the state of Origin period where nothing makes sense. Three games late Saturday afternoon, Titans and the Melbourne Storm on the Gold Coast to kick things off five pm, New Zealand times at three pm.
Speaker 6: I've talked a lot of Storm players over the years about this, and I think even Craig Bellamy once and he just said that they take great pride in their performance during Origin.
Speaker 4: They're sort of.
Speaker 6: Every year they say themselves, right, no matter who we've got missing or who's not playing, we're still going to perform. We're still going to bank points and invariably that's what they do. So I'll back the Storm to keep on keeping on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm going to Titans are going to be consistent here.
Speaker 4: Cowboys Tigers.
Speaker 5: I love this. I like the Cowboys at home.
Speaker 6: I think Tigers, you know, they're an interesting team. The Tigers, I don't think their top eight material. Don't think they've had the They've got this squad that's deep enough to get to September football. But you know they've had some had some good wins, but just starting to see some cracks. So yeah, I think the Cowboys at home will prevail.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm going to be a bit more sensible here and go with the Cowboys, although again they are you know, Tom Deeddon for example, state of origin and Joame Low perhaps are the points to prove having been demoted out of New South Wales, so that'll be an interesting one, but I will go the Cowboys are manly Brisbane around out things on Saturday night, that's at Brookvale.
Speaker 6: I think the Broncos will be starting to get a bit desperate, won't they, because already Michael McGuire is under so much pressure. Like it hasn't been a great start to the season. It's been okay, but they've had you know, a few losses now in the last few weeks, so they really really need to win this. But they're not always great when they come to Sydney. Last time they came to Sydney, they lost. So I really hope the Broncos can do it for McGuire's sake, and maybe maybe they will.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I thought Manly were very average without DC, which I did sort of flag on last week's pod. Thirty points to ten. They lost to a paramount side without Mitchell Moses. Yeah, that's a real tough one to pack. I'll go Manly.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think there's a few things.
Speaker 3: Bubbling away off field at Brisbane, which tends to be every season, but it seems to be getting in the way of the on field performance right onto the big one for a lot of fans and listeners of this podcast. In terms of Warriors on the road facing the South Sydney rabbit Os, It's a two pm local kickoff at Akor Stadium, so four pm Sunday for us here in New Zealand. James Fisher Harris will be back from suspension. Mitch Barnett an outside chance. I would have thought he'll be named either as a starter or on an extended reserves bench and provided he gets through Wednesday, okay, he should play rabbit Oze. It's always been a tough one history, hasn't it for the Warriors Birds.
Speaker 4: How do you see this one playing now?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I mean It's good that it's a Sunday because that does give Mitch Bunnett a bit of extra time. Let's just see how banged up he gets some origin. Hopefully he's okay because he is vital, as is Fisher Harris. As we've seen against the Raiders when they're not there. Look, they've got the rabbit o's and then the week after, as you said, they've got Creneller away. You would have thought that the rabbit os is really a game to target because Crenella will be extremely tough the way they're going, So this is a big one. They've got to be a lot better across the park. They can be a lot better across the park. The question will be can they take their chances. I'm sure the yardage game will be okay, But as you say, you're exactly right. Rabbits traditionally always cause problem for the Warriors. I remember a lot of bad losses over the years. I will tip the Warriors here to bounce back. I think there's enough in this team that they can bounce back quickly, but they'll need to be good.
Speaker 4: They will be They will need to be good.
Speaker 3: Rather the one in car uraging sign that I would point out as yet that the Warriors have been really good after a loss.
Speaker 4: After the Vegas loss, they won. After the Melbourne mauling, they won.
Speaker 3: So let's hope that that trend continues and losing streaks don't become a theme in season twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: So I will go the Warriors.
Speaker 3: Then it's so we wish Sydney, Derby, Penrith and Paramatta.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this should be a good one. Actually, shouldn't remember just a few years ago when these two teams were two of the best teams of the comp and of course there was the Grand Final in twenty two.
Speaker 6: So this should be because Paramatta is showing some signs finally of getting going a bit this year. I'm going to tip the Panthers though, because it's unusual for them to have two losses in the role.
Speaker 3: But Seevan teens Burge the last ye.
Speaker 6: They have had a crazy season this year. Yeah, do you write them off for they gone? Can they still make the eighth?
Speaker 4: No that I will Nick Buley guarantee here they will the eight.
Speaker 5: Okay, Oh, I like that. I will have to.
Speaker 6: We'll make a notice and we'll look back. But I kite agree with you. I was reading a piece in the Cidny Morning Herald about a month ago where they've already been written off, saying they can't make the eight.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 6: They're the kind of team that can constring ten to eleven games together and suddenly you know they're not going to be first or second, probably not even top four. But if they get to fifth or six, they're still dangerous. So ye, I'll go with the Panthers here to win the Battle of West Sydney.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm going with the Panthers as well, And just to illustrate my confidence the Panthers. Yes, there are nine points, three wins, seven losses, and a drawer against the Cowboys, but there's just three points separating seventeenth and eighth, so it seems a long way away, but an actual fact, when you study the table little bit more, it isn't. So there's just enough class there and Ivan Cleary's going to figure it out. They're going to figure it out at some stage, and they'd be the last team I want to play first round in September to just round things out. Birds here and now I'll supposed to be quick fire predictions, but there's anything but Roosters Raiders, which in itself has a fair bit of history between these two teams as well, And I'm sure Ricky Stiett will be lacking very little motivation to get up against the Sydney Roosters. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think there's still some herd from that from that Grand Final and a couple of dusty calls. They think they've got this game. Probably depends on what happens, not make excuses for myself, but probably depends on what happens at the judiciary, because if Tarpani and someone else ends up out, it does change things for them quite a bit. But I really like what the Raiders are doing this year. They're they're a good team. Man, They're going to be right in it in the final. So I'll tip the Raiders against a resurgent Roosters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm going to go with the Raiders as well.
Speaker 3: I think that is an important caveat to note if they were to be without a Tarpany or potentially a Huts and young post origin. But they look like a very complete team, a very well balanced team. Like the way they go about their work through the middle, they make yardage, they're back five.
Speaker 4: I thought we didn't really get to but they were super impressive.
Speaker 3: The lots of to Balley Savage said Chris, so yeah, we'll go with the Green Machine to continue.
Speaker 2: To roll on.
Speaker 4: That'll do it. For other edition of The Big.
Speaker 3: League Podcast, please follow, subscribe wherever you do tuner and looking forward to Wednesday State of Origin. Looking forward to Sunday four pm The Warrior is away to the South Sydney Rabbit os My thanks to you, Michael Burgess. One name is Nick Bewley. Have a great week.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talks ed B listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcast on iHeartRadio