Speaker 1: Life, the ext World Beer Gardens Studio and brought to you by Export Ultra the Beer for Here. This is the Agenda Podcast for Friday, the twenty first of June.
Speaker 2: The Agenda Podcast the home of Sporting Nonsense and clap Trap, brought to you by Next Sport, a Vulture.
Speaker 1: Big Podcast Today Lane Big Podcasts. At the end of this podcast, we're going to a mountain of yours please to get through. But before then we do have a very special guest. A two thousand and three Super Rugby Grand Final winner with the Blues. Steve Devine is going to be joining us.
Speaker 3: Should I bring up the fact that I had him onto the second tier of Eden Park during that November game or should I not? Because they actually wasted us.
Speaker 1: It was quite hard for me to get Steve to agree to this. So if you could just park the fact that you it's.
Speaker 3: Going to be in the back of my mind the whole time. And he looked up that half volley and I put him onto the second tier back over his head.
Speaker 1: You know I was going to annoy him more than that is that he almost bowled me out. I had a French cut that just missed my off stump. And then ran away to the boundary for four and that I think would probably piss them off even more genuinely getting cut it.
Speaker 3: I don't think we bring either of those. He's been very.
Speaker 1: Kind to us to come onto the podcast today a little later than usual, recording this one today because the Hidaky Boys are on their Big Bend Bender.
Speaker 3: Big Beef Bender reveal.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't exactly know how it works. All I know is that at about nine o'clock this morning, we were hustled onto a bus and taken to a backpacker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with Kidder and the drag Queen, the drag.
Speaker 1: Queen, and then beer pong poker, a few beers, and we all of a sudden find ourselves back in the office to do our actual work today.
Speaker 3: It was welwin, wasn't it been on a poker table and I was drinking a glass of champagne and then Joe Jury bringing me a mess of pind A Hazy and it was like quarter past nine. Yeah, it was like I didn't order either of these drinks. And then I got snapped in a photo. As you know, this is this is the kind of entreatment that I get involved in. And then Big Joel Harrison puts it up and it's his lanes in for another bender, sleeping on the on the studio, it's it's film. I'm asleep. I'm like, this is entrapment, a honey trap.
Speaker 1: It is now, this will be the most degenerate thing you hear me say today, and I say a lot of degenerate things. Yeah, if you're drinking in the morning, high percentage, I think you have to go high percentage. You don't want to be slogging your way through like a four three four percent out. I think you go high impact. I don't mind an espisso martini if I'm.
Speaker 3: A lot of those going down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, obviously responsibly, don't doubt if you're going to drive a forklift later. But if you're at a beach club in Bali, if you're on a bender with the radio hurdac.
Speaker 3: He wos Did I see someone drinking a Gin and Tonic? Was that Joel Harrison? Was he on a Gen andine?
Speaker 1: Who saw the notorious pants man? Joel Harrison on a Gen and Tonic? He then turned around there was a poker table there. Definitely the earliest stuff played poker obviously three am. That's still nighttime, so this is a nine am. He sharked everyone. He sat next to Kezy and was just like, how does this game work? Keezy bought it hook line and sinker. Oh, so you know you got two and then that's appeared, then you've got three of a kind straight and and Joe was like, oh, okay, so what happens if I got like one hundred and He's like, no, no, don't do that. All of a sudden, cut to ten minutes later, Joels cleaned us all out. She sharcked us and turned Deli from Hodaki.
Speaker 3: He took his watch off through that on the table, it was all on. I've got a mate who does that. I'm gonna told you. He goes to the casino sober at like two or three in the morning. Yeah, that's to the poker table, and he cleans up all the drunk assholes, all the wasted guys who do nan Quain's going on, and he just goes home with three or four hundred dollars at like three or four in the morning. That's a great strategy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've had a mate, In fact, I've had mini mates who poker. Had a moment probably about five years ago really going. I think was when the online poker really started taking off and I had a couple of mates. I reckon, I you know, if I jecked my job and I just hit the tables pretty hard, I reckon, I could do it. There's only one of my mates. So I actually believed he could have done it well.
Speaker 3: Shane Moon did it for a while. He was a professional poker player, he was on the circuit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the difference is the shortcut veera as he has millions of dollars, yes, so end of profile and a profile, so people are going to invite them. I'm sure people would want to stump up for him as well. If you're just a guy, you know, if you're a plumber from South Genery, that's a bit tougher, I think, unless you really know the ins and outs it.
Speaker 3: Did at You're right, There was a while there live like a lot of live TV was like a tournaments and guys with a million, million, million barks and all that kind of came.
Speaker 1: The soop the World Series of pokerhead a moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, has that kind of died down because of onlines taken over?
Speaker 1: No, No, because I think that I think that actually coincided with online because people could watch the world series and then go and play their own hands all And the other thing is those guys that were getting really good at it, they would have three or four hands going at a time, right, so in a night that could play four times as many hands as you could actually play if you're having a poker night. But I think it was funny because one of the girls from hadak He came over and goes, oh, this would be a great like invite your friends around and organize like a night to come and play poker. I was like, yeah, that's exactly what it is, and that's exactly what we do.
Speaker 4: We do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you guys do book club, Yeah, steal all that kind of carrying on. Yeah, tup of weir parties, Yeah, the fuck wear parties are a bit.
Speaker 1: Different, but the parties yeah, yeah, I don't mind those tupway party. My missus cleaned up at a tup of Wear party one. Yeah, it was outrageous then that all of her mates are like, oh, we saw her clean up. It's our own problem is when you're from rural New Zealand, you're selling to the same people over and over.
Speaker 3: Well that's kind of a pyramid scheme though, but she would have done all right out of it when because she would have franchised it out to those ones, because.
Speaker 1: She would be I think she just took her money and bounced.
Speaker 3: It's just like thanks, thanks for coming.
Speaker 1: Shanny ever did one and it was just like out of there, and then all in mates were like, oh, she made heaps some money off that meat. It's like, hey, you guys all live in ash Burden.
Speaker 3: Everyone's got yeah, everyone's got place to containers. There's only one you can you could probably do one a decade. Yeah, a toup of party.
Speaker 1: But anyway, you Benda continues on right now, we're going to try, well, I'm going to try and go and meet up with them later on. Why is that because at one thirty Angelina from The Day Show is going to be performing or teaching a pole fitness class and you know, I'm on a bit of a fitness bush.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I mean like a pole fitness class. How many poles are there?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 3: Like there's like, is there like ten or eleven poles that everyone can do it on?
Speaker 1: Well, they're going to a whiskey bart and apparently I don't know if this is a permanent pole. I think they're going to install it.
Speaker 3: She was like, no, they just got one. It's another VIP roomount of the back. That's the one pole. Oh well, unfortunately it probably means I probably won't be able to get up on it. Then ILD just have to. This was the infamous pole that Lee Hart danced on once. And I know what we're talking about now. Yes, I've been there. Yeah, that was when that and the roof just about came in. If you want to see it, you know, when you're those poles of disrepute. Yeah, I've never seen one bend. I've never seen one, a curve, a share of one. Until Leehart leaned back and swung around one. It was both the hottest thing and the most non hoddest thing we've ever seen is Lee hat spin around that pole. That same night, we almost saw Leehart die because as we walked out of that bar, I think we might have got tossed out of that bar.
Speaker 1: Actually, we went across the road and we're standing in the middle of the road on an island about to cross. There were two lanes. Someone stopped in the lane closest to us because they recognized Lee. They waved to him, and then they waved him across the road. He goes to walk past them, but there was another lane here to get past too. He kept walking and a bus came flying past him, just about skinned his nose, and I was just watching it. You know, when something so bad it's happening, you just freeze. I was like, aha, And this bus that just came flying past them screeched its brakes on because it saw him out of the blind spot, and everybody within one hundred minutes just like, holy shit. I think I just about saw the guy die for like one mad moment.
Speaker 3: And this was also the same night that you know, because it was I think it was in winter, and they have the clear clear plastic out side to stop the wind.
Speaker 1: Yes, and you pull the sides down so it kind of separates different bars along the street.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it was walking long. He walked straight into.
Speaker 1: The straight into it, and then the bouncer comes out. It was just like, this guy's obviously wasted.
Speaker 3: Are you okay?
Speaker 1: And then he recognized and was like, actually, do you want to come in? And then we went into that bar. It was funny, it was very fortuitous. You weren't here on the podcast yesterday. But Heath and I talked about because we went to David Yuka's press conference. He's got to fight fourteenth or September. We talked about who would you like to see on the undercart because they're going to have some celebrity matches, and he said he wanted to see Luxe and v Heart settle it once and for all.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Lee Heart would beat the living with Jesus out of Laxon. Yeah. Lee does a bit of boxing. He does. He does more than Chris Laxon. No, I know, I there was bet if Laxon took him to three, then he's a chance.
Speaker 1: Well, one of the things that Lee didn't blowing a spot up a little bit here, but he would go and do a boxing class with a few of his mates in the morning and it would be like hit the bag, blah blah blah. Do some sit ups now, do a lap of the block or two laps of the block, whatever, And he was doing it with like some of his best mates. So as soon as they got out of eyeshot of the gym, that was like shoes pack up and then they just sat down for a minute and they all agreed like, as long as none of us leave, then we're all sweet, and so then all right, long enough and go back and then jog back. But yeah, I think I think Lee would piece up Chris Laxon to settle it once and for all, just before we move on to some extual sport. The I don't know if you've seen this, but the mega mind guy who's taking his three kids on the run.
Speaker 3: Ah yep and Mary Kapa, yeah.
Speaker 1: He So the police have put up an eighty thousand dollars reward for any information that leads to finding the kids. I don't think that they obviously the kids probably aren't doing it to great, but everybody around the region seems to think that he's done.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's not fun for his life.
Speaker 1: But I've just said today that they're not willing to extend the period for that. And so that's little fire under me because I have a theory here and I want to harness the power of AI to make to earn this eighty thousand dollars. I think what I do is I commissioned chet GPT to take one hundred guesses based on all of the stories that are written.
Speaker 3: About this case as to where these people could be.
Speaker 1: And then I make a hundred fake email addresses and I send all one hundred of these in to the police. Are the off chance that one of them hits, and I make the eighty k.
Speaker 3: This would been one of you and there half assed because I like it. But I don't think they're just dishing it out to see who's the closest. I mean, it's not a game of battleships where like I think a power of AI. It could be like we found him here, he was closest, but it was closest this this thing here said he was on the fourth redge back from the farm. So I think this one wins. And I know that at a.
Speaker 1: Reverse engineer, And I just think if they were just like, well, this tip says that it could be here, then they go there and they find it, Well, how.
Speaker 3: Many tips are they getting that are just complete and out of bullshit? As well? But the people sifting through the bullshit, Yeah, it must there must be some amusing ones.
Speaker 1: Well, they better buckle themselves in because I'm about to fire one hundred of them in there.
Speaker 3: That's like mega mine. Yeah, can we use a different photo? Surely there's a different photo that doesn't make him look like mega mine. He's got the world either he's got the world's biggest forehead or that he's there some sort of fish eye lands on that photo. Yeah, I think it's that. It's it's the most outrageous photo. Makes him look like a total moron.
Speaker 1: And even it's not, but it looks like it's a security footage that yeah, zoomed in from on high it's a bad angle of the man. But anyway, I think that there's You're right though, Like around my neighborhood there's been a bunch of posters for this missing care.
Speaker 3: You're never finding that care?
Speaker 1: How often do people actually hit those things up with the with info? And have you ever heard of someone actually claiming the reward.
Speaker 3: I had one of the greatest scenarios ever. It was a lost chicken. We we went for a walk in our neighborhood and it was like a sign on a powerpole. It was half ripped off, and one of the kids goes, what's that And I was like, it looks like someone's lost their chicken. And we live in suburban marrow Neck, Devenport, and I was like, I guys, And then there was another sign. It was it looked old. I'm like, there's lost chicken. And then we you're not fifty meters down the street. My son goes, there's that chicken and it was down a driveway because it was gray. It was a gray, fluffy chicken. And I said, that's not the chickens. That's not a checking that signs is so that's someone else's checken. And he goes, oh, go grab it. I said, you can't walk on to someone's property and grab a chicken, because he's got no shame about grabbing chickens. Anyway, Then we had Christmas drinks. This was before us Christmas drinks at our house, and all the neighbors came over and one of the neighbors from over the road was like, oh my god, the kids are so upset. They've lost their chicken. Was I was at your chicken signs on the thing, and she goes, yeah, he was like a little gray chicken. And we went I looked at Ralph, and we looked at We went we know where it is. And Ralph ran out the door and he like ran two hundred minutes and he came back with this great chicken into the house and they're like Oh my god, it's the chicken it was. Were they offering a reward they gave I think they've tooked down the dairy for an ice cream or something, but there was They weren't offering a reward. But it was just the weirdest. It was like we're living in a simulation. It was like, there's the sign. It looked really old, and there there was a chicken down someone else's driveway, just picking away at the grass.
Speaker 1: Sure enough, anyway, fell down the chicken.
Speaker 3: Found the chicken.
Speaker 1: Samchure sport on the rundown.
Speaker 3: That's in your hands. You'll see.
Speaker 1: I've printed out a picture Killian and Barbey broke his nose the other day. He broke the fuck out of his nose too. If you've seen the footage, he's now donned a mask adorned with lecoque on the front of it and the French flag as well. I think it even has his initials over his right eye. Of course, that mask, as you look at it, does that provide any coverage of the nose at all.
Speaker 3: It looks more like a leather some sort of leather mask.
Speaker 1: Like what mankind you still, yeah.
Speaker 3: It doesn't, because usually when you say that I in my mind it is NBA full face. Yeah, the Phantom of the Opera, NBA big full, clear plastic mask. And it looks this looks like you're not a masquerade. It's a bad masquerade mask.
Speaker 1: Like if it should have the little handheld part on.
Speaker 3: The side, feathers coming out the top of it.
Speaker 1: It also kind of looks a little bit teenage mutant Ninja two. Yes, that sounds like Yeah, it looks like Donna Tello. Yeah, that's not protecting hiss. No, that isn't protecting shit.
Speaker 3: That's a way to getting back onto the field, yes, and playing.
Speaker 1: And also if and when they win, this will be an iconic photo. This will we've posted everywhere. There'll be a mural banks he will do something with it. And I just think that it's actually not providing any coverage at all. I think this is a crocod shit. But anyway, I could be wrong. It's the bridge of his nose that broke. Maybe it's just an aesthetic thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe. And also I don't think they're doing it for any commercial reasons, because you ain't shifting those mind you. If you're a fan, I'll tell you what I wouldn't mind it. Oh yeah, it'd be a great way thing to wear to the game, as everyone with the big giant embarpeir Ninja turtle mask.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't mind it all right. The actual sport that's happening this weekend, it's sort of all boiled down to one thing, and that's the Super Rugby Grand Final and it's just Blues Verse Chiefs. As we mentioned this week, twenty thousand fans pouring up the State Highway one mad Max Fury road style from Hamilton. They're taking hovercrafts, they're taking oats, start taking.
Speaker 3: Planes, absolutely jetboats up to Meddy Medi and then hit shiking the rest of the way.
Speaker 1: I've heard a rumor that every farmer between the Bombays and Hamilton has opened their gates so that you could drive your four wheeler.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is coming from naaah here.
Speaker 1: Yep, paddling up the whiteout as far as they can come. So it is the biggest thing in sports that's happening. And I actually think that the Super Rugby season has been quite good as well. So the combination of all of that happens tomorrow night. We're going to be covering it. But you know, you don't come to us for honest analysis of you know, you come to us for claptrap and nonsense.
Speaker 3: Yes, we need sports adjacent content.
Speaker 1: We're sports adjacent. We need someone who was there, who was in the fight in the fray the last time that the Blues won this, and we've got just that man. Steve Devine joins us right after this air break. All right, well, it was a great pleasure to welcome into the Agenda podcast the half back for the last legitimate Blues title back in two thousand and three, live from Australia. Steve Divine, Good morning, Steve. How are you getting on, mate?
Speaker 4: I'm very well, Thank you gentlemen. How are you guys?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're very well.
Speaker 1: Thanks mate. We're getting pretty excited, an't we laned for this for the Super Rugby Final?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm getting I'm pretty pumped. Actualick. So I've heard rumors is twenty thousand Chiefs fans and an armada of manabusses coming over the Bombay Hills. I've heard.
Speaker 4: I've heard there's been explosives for the longer Bombay Hills and there may be a slide a slip.
Speaker 3: I also heard rumors there's going to be a blockade at Rainbow's end across the motorway that you know that Auckland is going to just park their buses in the way. But I don't think somethings stopping the manabus.
Speaker 4: As long as they bring those bloody bells, then I'm good with it.
Speaker 3: Actually, the thing is, I agree with you, Steve, because the bells are for MULU and that is the MPC team that is wack out or MPC, it's not Chiefs. So I agree with you. I don't mind the bells for MPC, but I've got no affinity to the bells for the Chiefs for some reason. And I'm like, I'm a mulus hard as well. I grew up in Hamilton and the tron.
Speaker 4: A little bit of vomit just came out.
Speaker 3: You swallowed it down. You swallow it and you enjoy it.
Speaker 4: Be careful, you be careful what you say, because you could stir up your chlamydia.
Speaker 3: Cal transfer it down this phone if you don't watch it. I think it's only the work you catch it.
Speaker 4: You can't catch it on the phone, right.
Speaker 3: We'll find out.
Speaker 1: I don't know if anyone could, it'll be lame. I think it's only people from wykido that even know that that that's only an NPC thing and not a a Super Rugby thing. We'll get to the this week's final in a minute. But as I said before two thousand and three, the last legitimate I don't count the Trans Tasman Super Rugby Grand Final. Steve, do you is that a legitimate title to you? Does that have an ASTERIXK?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: It wasn't was it was it all there? It wasn't all there? Right, it wasn't. Yeah, that was a half. But you know, you take a when when you need to take when. I think the Blues needed that at that time. But this is this is the big one, right, it is the one.
Speaker 1: Twenty years since that last final and you unfortunately in the semi final, what haven't you you got knocked out against the Brumbies. Is that what it was? You probably can't remember.
Speaker 4: I tried to murder I tried to murder George Gregan. The ball popped out behind a ruck and he jumped down to land on the ball, gather up the ball, and I just thought this was my chance to murder him, and so I rushed in. But one of my good good mates, Justin Collins, had the same idea and we end up taking out each.
Speaker 3: Other friendly fire, friendly fire.
Speaker 4: Fortunately I laid on the ground unconscious for probably twenty minutes, but he actually got up and tried to play on and if you watch the videotape, I have seen it this week. If you watch the videotape, he ends up we end up scoring a try from we turned the ball over and then we end up scoring a try. He was standing in the gold area with the Brumbies team. He thought he was playing for true true story. So he called me an idiot for get knocked out and I was like, well, at least I know had the decency to lie on the ground for twenty minutes.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was just looking up that game and there's a photo there. It's one of the toughest photos I think I've seen from a rugby match, and it's you on the stretch as you're getting carried off and there's just blood pouring out.
Speaker 3: Do you hear your eyes are open? You're like, yeah, we're all good fore hellas.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was a that was a big one. I actually came to about about fifteen minutes after the match in the in the dressing sheds, and I was lying on the table and I sort of sort of came to and I was like, I looked at doc and there was doctors and there's all sorts of people standing around. I was like, I was like, Doc, am I going to be all right for next week? And he he looked at me like nah.
Speaker 1: So a little bit disappointing that you didn't get to play in that in that Grand Final. But that team, that two thousand and three team is one of the most like iconic Super Rugby teams I think in Super Rugby history. Some of the like the back line that you guys had was incredible. Doug Howlett was the fifteen for most of that season. Repentny was with you guys as well, although he wasn't he didn't play in the semi final or the final today.
Speaker 4: He got injured. He got injured in the semi as well. Repent he has an amazing ability to when he gets injured, he gets really injured. I think he broke his arm or his league or something in that semi final and then it was just yes, so we missed him for the final.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 4: It was an incredible year. We actually, I think last year we had our twenty year reunion for that that year we got all the old boys together. It was a it was a good, good weekend. But it was yeah, remarkable, remarkable team. Toy two, Po Millsey, you know, Xavier Rush, Yeah, Joe Joe, Rock's, Rico Gear, Yeah, we were Lee Stasne's. Was there a bit a bit of the old mate it was. We were stacked, Yes, it was. It was a great team.
Speaker 1: Carlos was well, can't gloss over that. It was like an all star team, that team, and I think that in the last few years the Blues have sort of started to become that again, a little bit of an all star team, at least in the back line. Do you see any similarities between that team in this team now?
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, you know there's there's there's some players there that are, you know, making their name. I look at Rico, he's just, you know, super athlete. There's there's there's certainly guys there that are starting to get on top of it of what they do. A few All Blacks starting to make their way back into the team. I think the standout for me this year with the Blues has really been the Fords. I think for a long time the Blues. It's always been a question mark about how hard the forwards are and I just think this year, I think the Fords are probably outperformed the backs. To be fair, they're just you know, they're they're pretty discipline of what they do. They get down into the twenty two and then it's just the Fords use brute power a lot of the time to get themselves over the line. And you know, I know it's a different scenario this weekend, but you know, three weeks ago when they played the Chiefs at Eden Park, they you know, it was just all about brute power and it really showed and they got on top of the Chiefs and one comfortably.
Speaker 3: So that's all part that's all part of the plan though, Steve, obviously from the Chiefs is basically you know, you're not going to beat the Chiefs smoke.
Speaker 4: You're not going to be smoking mirrors.
Speaker 3: Plan right, You're not going to beat the.
Speaker 4: Chiefs here times.
Speaker 3: You're not going to beat them three times in a sleeper rugby comp Come.
Speaker 4: On, well except in two thousand and three, yeah, probably not.
Speaker 8: I think.
Speaker 4: Actually I tell you what, I tell you what in two thousand and three we were getting smoked by the Chiefs after about fourteen minutes and Troy Flavell stomped on someone's head and got sent off.
Speaker 3: Doesn't sound we played.
Speaker 4: We played the rest of the game of fourteen and and still one comfortably, I believe.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, so I begain. That leads into your your predictions. How do you think it's going to play out on Saturday? I mean, is it going to a lot of people saying it's going to be a bit of a turgid affair? Close, tight, low scoring. What's your thoughts, man?
Speaker 4: I think it'll be tight. I think it'll go two ways. It'll go. If the Blues allow the Chiefs to play the game they want to play with that back line, I think I think will be the Blues will be in some trouble. If the Blues can keep it tight, keep it close, keep it in a forward game, I think they will get on top of the Chiefs with just forward dominance. Yeah, the Chiefs back on when they're on, they're on right, when they're unstoppable when they go. So you give them freedom and you give them space, and they're going to hurt you. So the Blues just need to shut that down. I just think the Chiefs have had a pretty good bounce of the ball over the last two weeks. They got pumped by the Blues and then they just smoked the Reds and obviously played very well last weekend. Sometimes you don't get the bounce of the ball sort of three four weeks in a row, you won't get it a couple So yeah, I just I just think maybe they've done a little bit too much. But in saying that all, I'm also a big believe you've got to lose a final to win a final, and the Chiefs did that last year and the Blues haven't. So it's going to it's going to be tight. I don't think it's going to be a thirteen plus a weekend. I think it's going to be a twelve and under weekend, and it could go either way. I just if the Blues can keep it set, peace orientated, I think I think they're going to have a little bit of an advantage. But you know that Chiefs team, if they click, you know, if they click, you're you're in for a very tough night.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've sort of got a bit of a theory that the Blows have always got a bit of a bed shit in them. Do you think that if the Chiefs get out to an early lead that they could potentially capitulate the other Blues?
Speaker 4: Well, we haven't seen that in recent years, have we. I don't know where where you brought that.
Speaker 3: He's a Warriors fan as well, so that.
Speaker 4: These two teams, these two teams, it's really for a long long time it's been it's not even really been about rugby. It's about who can beat the other team up the most generally wins, you know, So they just they were just it's going to be so physical. It's just they're just going to try and absolutely beat the bejeebers out of each other, and often the team who does that the best wins this match. And that's how I've sort of been over the last twenty years.
Speaker 1: So if you're a hunting man, you'd sort of go like the one to seven sort of option.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm hearing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I made it. It's going to be. It's gonna be. I'd definitely bet on there being a lot of blood. I think that's going to happen. It'll get niggly, it'll get real niggily, because that's what they always are and you know, I'm My concern is the Chiefs came down three weeks ago and they didn't really present themselves physically and they got a little bit beaten up up front particularly, and that will be that would be a big motivator this weekend to the Chiefs team. If their forwards can hold out the Blues, then with that back line, I think they could be in some trouble.
Speaker 3: All right, well you're picking.
Speaker 4: That's as good. That is as good as I'm going to give you in terms of a Chief.
Speaker 3: Appreciate it. Appreciate it now, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: We won't hold you any longer. Thank you very much for joining us from across the ditch.
Speaker 3: Steve.
Speaker 1: You're someone who knows what it takes to win the Super Rugby title, a legitimate Super Rugby title for the Blues.
Speaker 3: So looking forward to watching it.
Speaker 1: Enjoy that Super Rugby final across the ditch there, mate.
Speaker 4: We'll do Boddy and get up the Blues a go.
Speaker 2: Boys, yours please brought you by Leader Home of the LP.
Speaker 1: Real honor and the privilege having Steve Devine on the show. But we need to get to your feedback. Let's do it right now. Rip into the first caller here call it yours please.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I know you lot of classy bunch of buggers and your followers are cut from.
Speaker 4: The same GiB.
Speaker 9: There's some ultra pre game down and donners need to better classic venue. I hear there's a castle down there, So how about you go give at a hone, get a few buses flowing and then you can kind of tailgate on the way there. You've got twenty five to thirty minutes of absolutely ripping and tearing on a bus before you get the game.
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Atlantic Castle and precking knees talking about there. That's it, It's not that's it. I'm not sure how open Lantic Castle would be to us having an ultra pre game there. It's quite a big heavy tourist destination in Dneda, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I've never been there despite living in Dunedin for years. It was as prohibitively expensive I think for a reason, yes, to stop people like me from going there, but also kind of was like, oh, it's not actually a castle.
Speaker 3: It's also quite a small castle. Yeah, it's like not a when you go to England, you see and you go to France, and you see castles, people don't give a shit about it. Yeah, people like you keep some people are keeping stock in castle. Yes, yeah, yeah it's castles and shiit that that one's just a stone thing, that's the top of a hell well.
Speaker 1: And even it was like it's a suppose house.
Speaker 3: I guess it was the first castle in New Zealand.
Speaker 1: I know, but like I don't know what about I just don't understand why they would pour that much money into building that thing. Like if you wanted some sort of tourist attraction, rebuild one of the par you know, like that is a genuine New Zealand tourist attraction that people want to see.
Speaker 3: Alan he would have been built by some church, wouldn't.
Speaker 1: If you if you're some UK tourists down in New Zealand, for yeah, they're like, we've got a castle that I'm all right.
Speaker 3: Dippen is that the thanks the servants?
Speaker 1: I think the other problem I think the other problem that we actual castle is this the gatehouse. The other problem we have is I don't know if Jeremy Wells is allowed back then, and if we've got him with us, he might be banned.
Speaker 3: Year after that. Miss New Zealand for casts with the old have yeah beging away in the stables.
Speaker 1: Ringing out across the ground. So look, that could be that could be a problem. But I think as of right now, everything's still up in the air.
Speaker 3: Is that roight?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think we're going to finalize it either today or tomorrow. We were going to go.
Speaker 1: I like the idea though, yes, by just thinking, yeah, another caller here, you're Spitz.
Speaker 6: Yeah, good a fellas just on the Luxe and versus Heart undercard on the David Nika Fight. Just wondering why don't we do a battle royale of all the New Zealand's TV hosts and then we do another battle royale of all New Zealand's radio hosts, and then we see who has the big show. Instead of putting yourself on disrepute at the awards, just seems like an easier way. Cheers.
Speaker 3: It's like a royal rumble. It'll be a lot more enjoyable to watch than the radio awards are. Oh yeah, a lot of egos in that room, as you can imagine.
Speaker 1: I've always said for the longest time that instead of the Radio Woods, we should have a night where everyone gets together and their mums come in and tell them that they love them, and then we don't have.
Speaker 3: To do the whole award stop looking next in a validation.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I'd agress Royal Rumble in the TV world would be absolutely hectic. I don't know who I think would win that. I guess if you're counting some of the former athletes. Is why on corpu a TV yeah have to say he is though you would have to say he is.
Speaker 3: Well, I think you'd say it's Monty Betham.
Speaker 1: Is Paul Gallon, he's not a New Zealander.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Monty Betham, Sonny Bell, Sonny Bell. Yeah. See, I mean that has four Yeah, I don't know, there's there's a different level because former athletes and then you've got Hillary Barry, yeah, Andrew Saville. You know, like you've got people like that who are just going to get Melissa chan Green correct, people that are just going to get strafed immediately.
Speaker 1: So, because how the Royal Rumble works is it's usually like two dudes start and then every few minutes another guy's introduced. So I don't know how that works when you've got genuine TV presient into Simon Della's in there and Mike McRoberts and they'd go and at it and then all of a sudden, oh no, he comes, why don't you corporate?
Speaker 3: They'd all run for the hells and he'd just be there on his own until Monty Bethaan got there. And then it's an actual boxing. Yeah. Oh, you could throw Neil Walker in there. Neil he used to throw hands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 3: I think it'd be it'd be quite a tough watch.
Speaker 1: And then if you go across to the radio one I threw out Hoyt versus Hoskin. This is something I've wanted to see years.
Speaker 3: My god, that'd be so good. That'd be so good because they're both so dangerously skinny and small. They'll both be wearing jeans and they've both got quite big heads. Yeah, they're both we were in distress jeans, yes, And that would and like maybe Chucks or something or some sort of.
Speaker 1: HEYT would have Chucks, and then there'd be some sort of Louis Vuitton loafer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, lou Biton. Yeah. Yeah, that's the well h hip box and a loafer, I know.
Speaker 1: And Heath's point yesterday about I brought this up with him and he was like, oh, but there's just so much humiliating footage of Jason hoy in athletic endeavors, and I was like, only because he's been filmed doing it. I think if he filmed Hosking doing the same stuff, it would.
Speaker 3: Look just as bad. You know. So I don't know.
Speaker 1: I still think that one's even. I don't think the TB could split them. It'll be interesting to see, but I think in the Radio Royal Rumble it'll be pretty it'll be pretty tough going.
Speaker 3: What about Heath Heath and Bryce from the Rock?
Speaker 1: Oh? Well, Bryce did it recently? Did he fight Tammy Davis? Is that who he fought?
Speaker 3: Oh No, it wasn't that. Did Timmy Davis fight Jay Reeve? Maybe because Ja is quite a big unit.
Speaker 1: He is a big unit, giant We're talking about giant swedes. He's got one of the greatest. I think that would.
Speaker 3: Be Rice Casey, Matt Heath, I Reckon is a good one. Andrew Mulligan, Jeremy Wells. I think Welles would get him on the reach and height.
Speaker 1: Andrew Mulligan played for my social basketball team this Wednesday?
Speaker 3: Did he Yeah? Did he get angry? Because he's got an angry social sports player.
Speaker 1: N he didn't hear he hit a glorious little baby skyhook that I think they've posted on they think, don't go and look at it, look at ours instead, But uh, he did hit that. I feel like you could probably throw Roger in with Hosking and heyt oh, yeah that's true, that's true. It will be quite a good mix, and then you've got your edge. Visit him stuff. I don't think you know one wants to watch any anyway. And then I will fight my day's host storm he Tower any.
Speaker 3: Day of the week. In fact, I just think i'd love to beat the shadow Martin Devon. Mmmm, I think you could.
Speaker 1: I did last time they did the Fight for Life, white On you could be fought on the undercard. At that point, I was working in the mainstream sports media and I text white Onion said I'll scrap Beaver on the undercart and he just laughed another.
Speaker 3: I'm serious. And Devon's probably got way too much reach because he's quite tall, isn't he.
Speaker 1: Well, he did punch a kid in the office one.
Speaker 3: Oh, yes, he's got he's got he's.
Speaker 1: Got form, although from what I hear it didn't I don't know if it landed.
Speaker 3: No, I don't. I think it was just a wilding. I'd have to go. I'd have to go go down Loan to Dark Arts and just work on his kidneys.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we've gone too long on this one, but it is a fascinating topic. If this triggers anything for you, let us know on the voicemail another caller here your space.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good old lads, it's the reverse curse.
Speaker 7: I'm back again, just commenting on the charity boxing fight.
Speaker 3: I think we all saw.
Speaker 7: And remember the the old we scuffle after a few beers at three em and Wellington between the Kia Joannie and Justin Marshall cheese.
Speaker 3: I'd love to see that.
Speaker 7: We're in another result, but hopefully a care could smack her with the ship commentary out of them. So yeah, cheers lads of the Mother of Us suck the blues?
Speaker 1: Yeah does in Gloucester glasshouses. You know we're far far from us to be throwing stones about ship commentary with the purveyors.
Speaker 3: Of ship commentary. Mate. Okay, lucky that that was great that footage of because it was like I think it was Caleb k was holding him back outside. Yeah, yeah, but you know that classic domat don't waste that may and then you could see the little frosted tips of you've never won anything, You've never won a work up? Yeah? Or is it Joannie that said that to Marshall.
Speaker 1: I don't know, no, no, no, I'm pretty sure that's what Marshall was saying to you Anie. It would have been funny to watch that one come to fruition and it's just jogged my memory. Steph mccayver, of course on the TV thing. He's fought in the Fight for Life I think three times.
Speaker 3: And he's been hospitalized three times. He got stretchered twice. I think you could put him in the same campus Hot Hosking and Roger. You could do it. You could do a tag team like I don't know.
Speaker 1: I I despite the fact he's been stretchered twice, I do think mcavee was the voice of boxing.
Speaker 3: He follows boxing.
Speaker 1: I think that gives him a leg up at least.
Speaker 3: Nat Poyton Hosky I don't know, and Roger fairly, I don't. I don't know either.
Speaker 1: I kind of do think you locked those four in a room. I think Mackiva walks out. You reckon I think he might. I think he might. Anyway, we need to set one of these up. Another caller here, yours.
Speaker 8: Please yellow celebrity charity boxing match, Glane versus when I get to take the dog over seas.
Speaker 3: Hey, I'm not getting dragged into this beef.
Speaker 1: Okay, I love that you for the longest time tried to say that it was me that was having the beef for them. There's a lot of the line, but that's that's a that's a suicide mission. If I'm getting the ring with AFB. I mean, I'm not sure how to approach that. Say, if I did, I would hope for a soldier's death.
Speaker 3: Go out on your shield. No, just come and like walk into just the cleanest right hock and then just go down like I don't want to be pummeled into submission after two or three rounds and come out with a face like a world as bench. I just want to clean. I just want to clean, clean, chinning, honorable dead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, would you last longer with ed Infanel Blake or Sydney Sweeney?
Speaker 3: Don't as that?
Speaker 1: Another caller here?
Speaker 3: You get a flower?
Speaker 5: Hey, g Lane, just in regards to your little convo about baseball, the other day. Yeah, but like you got into the last for two to three years, and once you actually get your head around the little idiosyncrasies, if you will, in the little rules and all that sort of jazz, it's actually a bloody good watch. So if you do take an acc trip to the stage to watch, hook me in.
Speaker 4: Are we there?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: It is.
Speaker 3: I quite like baseball in the fact that you're always in the game, like you can be Yeah, you can be four four down in the last stretch and you can have a loaded bases head a home run and be back in the game. There's a bit of az allowed in cricket, isn't there. Yeah, there is a bit you can you know this, you're going to lose, whereas the baseball you're always in. You're always in with the snaff. You could win it in the last last innings. Yeah. So I quite like that. I just I don't think I've got room for it in my life.
Speaker 1: That's what I've always said, You've got room for cricket all baseball, not both. I think Matt Heath might be the only one now.
Speaker 3: I think he's even waiting on that. I don't know he's wavering because he's also got the Warriors and he's gone full. He's gone into as well.
Speaker 1: Something he's going to give last one here call it yours please.
Speaker 7: Yeah good.
Speaker 3: Let's just wondering what's with all this funcks canory business?
Speaker 6: Why not just fuck?
Speaker 4: Why many didn't?
Speaker 8: Would all be heavy?
Speaker 3: That's a good point. I was with him for the first half of that. It's a good point. I mean you you're just you're basically bringing the whole of South Canderby down when in reality people just want to stay fuck way many. I know, I know.
Speaker 1: And the funniest thing is when you because so to send a voicemail you have to have signed up for iHeart Radio, and when you do that you have to put your area.
Speaker 3: Code, and I checked is sure enough.
Speaker 1: It's because within South Canterbury everybody hates why men and it's just.
Speaker 3: Like, what the fuck we can love them just with just a hot bed of just kind of mid provincial Canterbury. It's not anywhere else. No one's saying fuck North Otago.
Speaker 1: The funniest part about this whole thing is like, if you're from a small town around the country, you're better sworn rivals with the next town over. I fucking hate.
Speaker 3: It's like running it in the West Coast.
Speaker 1: They're like, yeah, they're like against Graymouse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they've got there's a village down the road, five hundred minutes down the road, there's sworn enemies. That's what is like.
Speaker 1: Everyone hates. They say that there the water is not safe to drain. Everyone's got six fingers. They shut the gates when the sun goes down. Blah blah blah blah blah. But the weirdest part is is that despite the fact that you hate the people five hundred meters down the road from you, nobody is more similar to you than them. Like, if you're anywhere overseas, you bump into someone from Timuru and you're from Wyman.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like going season ousies. I hate ossies. But when you have a ceas, you'll pumped in a cab and they're good sorts. Ye until they get together, Yeah, until they get together in a group and they suck.
Speaker 1: So a few of the we've been making a few videos out of these Yours Pleases lately, and so a few of my mates have seen them that don't listen to the podcast, and one of them, because they all signed off with Fox South Canterbury. Like Jesus, what was the Australia about South Canerby? Like, mate, listen to the podcast. Yeah, it's so much worse than you think it is.
Speaker 3: We should make some T shirts fucks South Canterbery t shirts. Yeah, I reckon, we'd sell quite a few. I don't want to make those. I love South Canery. You know what we should do.
Speaker 1: We should make one for every team in the Heartland Championship ahead of this year and sell them. When South Canterbury comes to your neck of the wood and fucks your team up, I'll sell you a T shirt.
Speaker 3: I'll profit off of it. There's like me shorting the market with the Black Kens. Yeah it is, it is, okay, all right, I'm in. I'm gonna do that. All right.
Speaker 1: We're gonna knock this thing on the head because Angie's pole fitness class starts and just a fittness class fitness class, and you know, I'm on a big fitness kick at the moment, spot having pounded three hazes already this morning.
Speaker 3: We're gonna We're gonna have sports book coming.
Speaker 1: Up to Oh yes, sportsbook on the same feed with Carl Tyley from the tearb so there'll be all the ins and outs of a massive weekend of sport, including the Warriors, myself and Keezy commentating that one at five pm. Basically park up on your couch Chuck Sky Sport nine on from about four point thirty. Ye we're gonna be doing the Warriors. That's going to roll straight into the Super Rugby Grand Final. The mone of Us is coming Laye and mcconey on the call for that one.
Speaker 3: Enjoy your weekend of sport.
Speaker 1: We will see you on Monday for another episode of their gender podcast.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The ACC's a gender podcast brought to you by Export Ultra. For more episodes, like and follow on iHeartRadio for you'll get your podcasts