Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talk zed B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Big Day Ahead. On the diplomacy front, Christopher Luxen will meet with Chinese President Jijimping in an attempt to strengthen our trade relationship. So eight hundred and seventy one million dollars where the commercial agreements have been signed so far between Kiwi businesses and our Chinese counterparts, and more is expected to come. Alistair Crozier is the executive director of the New Zealand China Council and is with us this morning. Happy Mataniki to you, Alistair.
Speaker 3: And to you too, Andrew, Good morning.
Speaker 2: Nearly a billion dollars worth of business. Is this a success so far?
Speaker 3: Yes, it looks to have been a really busy couple of days in Shanghai. Agreements signed in all sorts of areas, from primary produce to beauty product exports to new air routes and so. Yes, going to Beijing on a bit of a high.
Speaker 2: So there was there were some visits that he did yesterday, but today they really down to it. So how should the Prime Minister play this today with meeting g do they just exchange peasantries, Hello, how do you do? Or will they talk specifics?
Speaker 3: Sure? No, these will be substantive meetings. I think the first point to notice there's actually three big meetings today is I understand it with President She but also the PM's most direct counterpart is probably Premier Lee Chang, who visited New Zealand last year and also the Speaker of the legislature there. And in all these meetings they will be more than peasantries. There's a lot to discuss. I think it comes down to a respectful exchange of views on a wide range of subjects.
Speaker 2: Okay, will we be talking about our relationship when it comes to of course, the threat that China opposes in the South Pacific is our relationship somewhat fractured as we stand.
Speaker 1: Up to them.
Speaker 3: I don't think it is fractured. I won't hazard a guess as to exactly what topics will come up today, but I think the key thing that both sides have repeatedly emphasized is firstly, there are in nevatively going to be differences between countries of such different situations as New Zealand and China. But secondly, it's important to deal with those differences respectfully and consistently, and that very much ties in with New Zealand style of diplomacy. We don't use the megaphone, and I think, you know, we'll get to a stage with our relationship where we're both able to raise things in a collaborative way and make progress that way.
Speaker 2: Was the announcement of the dropping of funding to the Cook Islands unfortunate timing.
Speaker 3: I think it's just part of the world we live in that there's multiple issues going on at any one time, and again it's really the way in which these things are discussed rather than the contents.
Speaker 2: All right now, how big a focus will tourism be, because I know we're at something like eighty something percent of what there was pre COVID. It's been tough times in China, they're not traveling quite so much. How important is tourism in our relationship?
Speaker 3: Very important? And I think you've seen that on the visit and then the lead up to the visit. I think we've had three separate announcements from Immigration New Zealand about tweaks to the visa policy that will make it easier for Chinese people to visit New Zealand. We've also had the announcement of a new flight from Shanghai through Auckland to Latin America. So you know, I think New Zealand's pulling out all the stops to encourage those tourists to come back to New Zealand. We have had about a quarter of a million Chinese visitors in the last year, but you're right, that's still down on where we were before the pandemic.
Speaker 2: Have you a little bit as good, Alison Crozier from the New Zealand China Council, I thank you for your time this morning.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talks B listen live on or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio.