Speaker 1: Hilda.
Speaker 2: I'm Chelsea Daniels and this is the Front Page, a daily podcast presented by the New Zealand Herald. Violence towards children is one of the most concerning issues in New Zealand. It's a debate that spans decades back when Child, Youth and Family was responsible for our most vulnerable before it was replaced by Langa Tamariki, and that government agency bears the brunt of trying to look after our children and keep them safe from harm. But recent reports have shown that not only has little changed in terms of family harm, children that do end up in care are still at risk of abuse. We'll discuss more on those issues later, but first on the Front Page ends at Herald's senior reporter, Nicholas Jones joins us to discuss one recent case he's investigated where Child Protection Services had to apologize for getting it wrong. Nicholas, can you explain a bit of the background to the story of Sarah, a woman on the autism spectrum? I believe in how she led to enduring having her newborn uplifted.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was back in twenty fourteen and Sarah, that's not her real name. She was a young first time expectant mum. She had a diagnosis on the autism spectrum and a past diagnosis of an intellectual disability and child youth and Family as it was called back then, they became worried that she wouldn't be able to safely parent her child. That was despite the fact she had strong family support, including from her own mother. A SIF social worker staff in the maternity ward to kind of keep a really close watch on Sarah after she gave birth totally exhausted from a hard labor emergency sea section, she'd had blood loss, and she had a wound infection. But in the days after the birth, the observations sort of compiled by the hospital staff were used to justify taking her baby. Things that were noted down where she was easily distracted and on her phone too much. She became distressed and angry at her baby's crying at one point, and she struggled to settle her baby. When her son was five days old, so IF social workers called a meeting with the family, and while that was going on, they took the baby from the hospital. He was later placed into a permanent home for life, sort of a permanent adoption.
Speaker 2: She has her own experiences of being through the care system as well.
Speaker 3: Hey yeah, When she was young, like a toddler herself, her baby brother was born with a really serious condition that required and to spend a long stretchers in hospital. Her mom was a solo mum at the time, and that put immense strain on her. And when Sarah's brother died when she was still a toddler, and her mom sort of essentially suffered a break down and could no longer care for Sarah properly, and she spent time in state care and later lived with a relative. Her mom's life kind of slowly got back on track and improved greatly when she married her current partner, and when Sarah moved back in with them when she was age fifteen, her life really improved as well. After Sarah's pregnancy, her mum helped her into a flat that was just minutes walk from the family home. Sarah wanted that independence, but her mom planned on being very closely involved in raising her son and was going to stay at the flat whenever needed.
Speaker 2: So this battle to try and get her son back it took nine years. What result did they finally get from the ombe bodsmen?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the family repeatedly complained to Child Youth and Family which is now called Iruna Tamariki, and they complained to others like the hospital, but they were basically dismissed. Iran and Tamariki claimed Sarah quote was given every opportunity at the hospital to show that she could learn new parenting skills and bond with her baby. The family eventually were told by a friend about the Ombardsman office and they complained to the Chief Ombardsman, Peter Boshia, who he looked at the case and he was pretty alarmed by what had happened. He thought the claim that Sarah had been given every opportunity to parent her son in those days and the hospital was unsustainable and entirely unreasonable.
Speaker 1: Chief Ombardsman today released a comprehensive report after his office poured through more than two thousand complaints about the troubled agency. Some of the experiences he looked into were extremely distressing, including arangata he kept in an institution against their wishes for years, a young disabled mother whose baby was uplifted at birth never to be returned, as well as incorrect and biased information being provided to the family court.
Speaker 3: He was also concerned that there was really little attempt by Sif and the social workers to properly understand Sarah's disability and her autism, or even really look into what support could be available to help her be a parent. He recommended Orang a tamariki apologize and make a payment to the family, which it did so, and Ot sent the family a letter that said, quote, we should always be mindful that a disability does not negatively impact a person's parenting capabilities. We hope that your experience is not repeated.
Speaker 2: Does she have any contact with her son today?
Speaker 3: By the time the Ahmudsman and sort of looked into the case and made his recommendations, Sarah's son was aged six. He is now ten and he remains living with his adopted parents. Currently, he doesn't have contact with his birth mum or her family. Sarah has a long term partner and she wants to start a family, but she's too scared to do so. While living in New.
Speaker 2: Zealand, we often hear ordering a tamariki. There are some issues with it. Right, this happened when it was child, youth and family. Are you confident that anything's changed this case?
Speaker 3: And the Ombudsman's sort of findings or criticisms was a factor in a recent kind of review or overhaul of Oranga Tamariki's disability policy. Basically their policy that kind of guides how they interact with disabled parents or children. They say they've made other changes like higher staff who are more sort of specialized in the disability areas. Peter Boshia, the chief armersman, that question and he said he can't, of course, sort of guarantee that things won't reoccur or problems come back. He is happy with a lot of the changes made, but he does say Orang Tamriki have a lot of work still to do.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us, Nicholas, and you can find a link to Sarah's story in our show notes. While Sarah's son was taken from her by Child Youth and Family, that organization was replaced by Urranga Tamariki in twenty seventeen and has faced many of those same concerns since then. A recent report by the Independent Children's Monitor, released two and a half years after the death of Malachai Subats, has found that system wide change is still needed.
Speaker 1: Malachai Subeks was an invisible child within the system.
Speaker 4: That is then the state and conclusion of an investigation into the death of the five year old murdered by his caregiver.
Speaker 2: But more on this. We're joined now by Aaron Jones from the Independent Children's Monitor. Aaron, can you remind us of how the tragedy of Malachi led to this report?
Speaker 5: So following his death, government agencies looked at their role, what they knew, what they could have done differently that might have produced a different outcome. And then one of the things they also asked was for Dame Curen Patasi to come in and complete an independent review, which she did. She made fourteen recommendations. She saw gaps in the child protection system, and she's made fourteen recommendations on how that can be improved. One of those recommendations was for us to come back and report on progress to close those gaps, which is what we've done and that's what our report talks to.
Speaker 2: Your report's quite detailed, hey, but can you give us kind of the main points found by the Independent Children's Monitor.
Speaker 5: The key thing is of those recommendations that she made, none of them have been implemented apart from one. The only one that was was for us to come back and review progress. So that's pretty sobering. And these recommendations went across a number of agencies, so we're not just talking about all doing a tamariki here, it's other government agencies. They have a role in the system, whether that's education, health, corrections, police, they all have a role in keeping children safe. And so while work had been done at a discussion and planning level, decisions haven't been made to either implement those recommendations or not or actually make or pack steps to implement. So that's a concern.
Speaker 2: How wide spread is the risk for harm towards children and their families in their own homes.
Speaker 5: The most recent data that we have and that we refer to in that report is from Child Matters, which talks about one child being killed every five weeks in New Zealand, and we know that that's high in comparison to other countries around the world. So we have a problem. As everyone would say, you know, any child is killed is one too many. But when you hear about one child every five weeks, that's of concern. So what you see is you have actually a lot of children and young people being reported to wardung A tamariki as being at risk of harm, and so over a lifetime. It's quite staggering. Almost a quarterable children in New Zealand are known to ardung a tamariki at some point. So you have around fifty eight thousand kids or reports a concern being made about kids in New Zealand every year and so that's five percent of our children and our young people in New Zealand, so quite high, I think. The thing to remember though, although reports the concern are made, they will be varied in terms of the extent of the harm that people are seeing. So it could be for example, a child not having had breakfast right up to the most serious end, you know, such as a Malachi's case, where people knew that abuse was occurring or likely to be occurring, and letting what aung a tamariki know.
Speaker 2: So what are the current options for getting children out of harm's way? Is unga tamariki bearing the burden largely here We.
Speaker 5: Did talk about that in a report. There's certainly a sense that this becomes the issue for udung a tamariki to solve, or the issue for that sometimes the police it kind of gets dropped with them and certainly order a tamariki. They've got a statutory obligation, but actually we also need to think more broadly in terms of everyone's role from community, you know, from neighbors, from friends, from Farno, right through the government agencies to make sure that we're keeping kids safe and doing the right things. But once a report of concern comes through to ordering a tamariki, then something needs to be done rome So we had to look at that in our report to see how that operates, and what we saw was certainly what happens is a call comes into ordering a tamariki and they make an assessment about the response. And like I said, some of these calls will be at a low end in terms of concern right up for serious end, so they make a consideration around what the response is. For a number this will be that no further action is taken. And what we saw is that when reports a concern or followed through to the site, they're making an assessment about whether to act or not undulian influenced by the resources that they have. So fifty percent of these cases are classified as no further action, and it's quite varied around the country, so you've got a bit of a post code lottery happening here. So for example, if you're in christ Church, a reporter concern is less likely to be acted upon than it would be in Auckland, so you've got a variability in the threshold. There's also concern about though, even if ordering atomidiki aren't acting in their statutree capacity, you know at the very serious end of stepping in. Nevertheless, there's something going on in the life of that child, and so how can we make sure that there are services that are available to that family, to that child to assess their need, whether it's a need such as not having shoes to come to school to which could actually be an indicator of further concerns of neglect. So the question is do we have a system that, yes, at one point ordering an tamidiqui we need to make sure they are acting when they're needed, but also making sure that we've got services in place to get through the door, to visit with the family, to see the child most important, understand what the needs are and then make sure that those needs are met. And if those needs are at that serious end, then making sure it comes back to ordering a tamariki and making sure that they act to keep that child safe. It's not always going to be about taking a child out of a home. It will be when that's necessary, but it could be about just putting supports and services in place for that family so that they can actually parent them the right way and that child can be cared for. Now. The other part that we call out in that report is of concern is that when you're seeing professionals NGOs eemilori providers who are getting through the front door, visiting with family then making a reporter concern, only fifty percent of those of them being acted upon by warding a tamariki. And what they tell us is that they've exhausted every option within their own toolbox to support this family. But now it's the harmers at a point or the needs are so great that they need the statutory intervention. And what our report is saying is that the response is variable and therefore we have gaps in the child protection system.
Speaker 6: The Royal Commission sees to invasive abuse that's uncovered must lead to a new care safe agency.
Speaker 5: Our system is just a total mess, is designed to just some power and destroy Parlo.
Speaker 6: The Rural Commission found there is no future for audoing a tamaiki. It recommended the state handover power, funding and control to care services at a local level.
Speaker 2: Variations of this agency or tamariki have been around for decades. Right, why are we still talking about these issues today? Why can't we seem to get an agency that works?
Speaker 5: I think what you have is from our perspective and what we hear. So throughout monitoring, we spend considerable time in communities listening to tominique and angatahi and caregivers and faro or a tamiki staff, education health staff to understand how the system is operating, understand when it's working well, and what needs to change to make it better. When we look at ordering a tamaniki based on what we hear and what we see is you've got an organization that is under pressure. Like I said at the start of this conversation, often agencies are seeing it as a problem for what ang a tamariki to solve and they're not able to deliver to the standard that they would want. So talk about it in two parts. One is this discussion we're having about reports a concern and actually being able to get out and see that child to make sure that they are safe. And this goes directly to the story of Malachi, so nobody actually went out and saw him at home with his keygiver. Had they done that, we may have had a different outcome for him. So that's one thing. The second part is when we actually look at the tamariki that come into state care. There are key standards that ding a tamariki are required to meet and these are minimum standards and we report on these each year, and they're not meeting those standards for every child that's in their care. Got to remember, taking a child out of a home is incredibly traumatic. When we do that, and the state effectively becomes the parent, You've got to make damn well sure you do a really good job, and that's what these standards are there for, and ordering a tamique aren't able to meet them. And so I point to a couple that are key. One is social work is visiting tamique and being there for them. They're not able to meet that at the standard that they set for themselves, and it hasn't changed over four years. So something is not occurring despite them saying they're prioritizing it. That's enabling to get ahead of this. And if you go back and think about child safety again, if you're not there in the household for that young person. You're not going to see things, You're not going to be able address their needs and put services in place to help them, and it leaves them in harm's way. And so it's an agency that's under pressure and struggling to be able to meet these standards. You're right, it's been an issue for a long time. These are difficult problems to deal with, but they need to find a way to achieve these standards. But also they need the help of others, And so here I'm talking about making sure that other government agencies are prioritizing these kids in the same way and making sure that their services are prioritized around these cares so that they can be kept safe, they get the services they need, and they can then thrive.
Speaker 2: Are there some issues with their priorities here? If you look at the case of Sophie we spoke about earlier, a neurodivergent woman who wasn't given a chance to try and raise her child, had him taken away from her. Yet many parents are abusing their children without anyone seeming to notice. Where do the priorities lie between that uplift process?
Speaker 5: I guess I think what we've probably seen an observation is sometimes the pendulum swings, and so we've seen a bit around here in terms of the pendulum swinging, probably in the past in terms of actually very risk averse and bringing tamariki into kre and so you've seen high rates of children in state care. I think we've seen cases of current and obviously this case is slightly different, but cases that have been reported in the media where talmuliki you've probably been uplifted unnecessarily or removed from a home unnecessarily, and so the pendulum can sometimes swing back the other way. We know it's really important for kids to avoid the former of being removed from a household, so pendulum can sometimes swing towards actually trying to keep them in the home. Now, what's important is actually not letting the pendulum swing, but sticking to very good practice, consistent practice. And it can be challenging because there are subjective decisions to be made based on the informations available, but that consistent practice isn't necessarily there, and this is why you see variations. You see cases where kids have been removed when perhaps they shouldn't have and maybe services could have been put in place to keep them in the home and keep them safe, or cases where children aren't removed when perhaps they should have been for their own protection.
Speaker 2: It's difficult to make that decision, though, isn't it, Because if there are concerns about a parent abusing a child, the parent isn't going to say, yes, I hit my child.
Speaker 5: Actually, Chelsea, you're hitting on one of the recommendations that Dame Karen with point into, and this is around people working together. So what you see in cases of serious harm over decades now, the story is always there that someone knew something, someone else knew something else. The pieces of the jigs will never get put together. Had you put them together, you would have run to their child.
Speaker 7: The review found ordering attumbandy Kei failed to investigate concerns raised by members of Malakay's FANO, His interactions with the healthstem were disjointed. His childcare center failed to report Malokei's injuries. All safety nets and not a single one caught him.
Speaker 4: There were those who tried to act but were not listened to. There were those who were uncertain and did not act. There were those who knew and chose not to act. This is not acceptable. And we cannot look away.
Speaker 5: And so what Dame Karen has recommended is that these sort of what they call multidisciplinary teams that involve community providers. You might have police at the table, health at the table, education and warding a tamariki working together to put those pieces together and collectively decide what is needed for this family, what is needed for this child. That is your best option of making the very best decision. We always make better decisions when we have more information. And so what is concerning at the moment, and you've got pockets of this practice around the country, but it needs to become core business. And so one of the things we're seeing at the moment is agencies, due to a range of pressures, are pulling back to what they consider to be core business. You hear about arding a tamareki in terms of some of the changes they're making with providers at the moment, they're pulling back to what they call is core business, which is caring for kids that are in statutory care. But it's at the expense of some of this work, this collaborative work that is so important because it's not necessarily seen as core business. And when it's not it's always at the mercy of being lost, and so our worry is actually, rather than progressing this kind of way of working, we might start to see it being removed. Our role is to go back out into communities and see whether that is the case, and if it is, will report on it. Because again, this is the thing that's always been talked about through all of these reports into the death or serious how of kids is where we're agencies working together. We talked about barriers of sharing information. We need to get past this and find a way that we can collectively work so the right response goes out to those kids.
Speaker 2: Why do you think child abuse or child neglect or kids dying? Why do you think it's so endemic to New Zealand? And I just anincdotally. I remember when I first moved to New Zealand ten years ago. Now, I reported on two child deaths where a stepfather allegedly killed their child within the space of like three months, and that blew my mind. And then it kept happening again and again and over my career. Over the last decade, I've probably done five or six. Do you think that it is endemic of New Zealand?
Speaker 5: It's a really difficult question, and I'm not necessarily qualified to answer that one. I think there's probably researched out there that might indicate some of the reasons why we do the harm that we do. I think what we've been focusing on, certainly in terms of that Dame Karen Report and then our report following up, is knowing that this is occurring, what can we as a country do about it. These things have been known for a long time, and I guess one of the frustrations around agency responses to Dame Karen's report, the fact that the thinking is still being done or the planning, is actually, these things have been known for decades. The thinking has been done, it's the implementation. And you know, if and Dame Karen said, look, if it was easy, it would have been done. But equally, I think we just have to get on and prioritize this. You know, our report we talk about you know, this country we can do amazing stuff, and we put our minds to it. You know, you just got to look at the response to COVID and I know, you know there are issues with that as well, but as a country, we were very quickly able to focus on an issue and address it, and we haven't managed to give that same priority to the way that our children are harmed. And there's certainly more that we can do. Dame Carrott has pointed to some of those things. We see those things in our regular reporting. The answers are there, we just got to have a commitment to doing it.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us, Aaron. That's it for this episode of The Front Page. You can read more about today's stories and extensive news coverage at enzeherld dot co dot z. The Front Page is produced by Ethan Seles with sound engineer Patti Fox. I'm Chelsea Daniels. Subscribe to The Front Page on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts, and tune in tomorrow for another look behind the headlines.