Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talk sad B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, take another pat.
Speaker 3: Now we don't get in.
Speaker 2: It's a trick.
Speaker 4: It is out.
Speaker 3: The test is over.
Speaker 2: Couldn't smoke from.
Speaker 3: Us A beauty it is out and.
Speaker 2: Hear you guys.
Speaker 3: This delivery has in.
Speaker 2: Many US as we bow.
Speaker 1: On the front foot with Brian Waddle and Jeremy Cody powered by News Talks dead B at iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: Hello, we're on the front foot again. Three tests in India. We haven't won there since nineteen eighty eight on Katie Yep thirty six years ago. I think we've only ever won there twice NK Poor and nineteen sixty nine. Bangalore is first up. We paid tribute to another black bet who passed away last week and two wins for the pos as they I a semi final based at the World T twenty and Garth Galloway and Jeremy Coney with me and I got some bewildering yous from Moultan, your favorite ground at Jeremy as bory as it would have been watching Pakistan score five fifty six in England eight hundred and twenty three. Finally, a game of cricket broke out. At least Brooke had a strike rate of ninety eight after scoring three hundred and seventeen. But do you know what sober wildering they're contemplating playing the second ties on the same strip, did you believe it?
Speaker 2: Well, actually, Evan Gray sent me a picture I think on Instagram or something. I don't even have Instagram, but it showed two old fashioned fans at one at each end of the pitch that obviously that obviously watered where all the bowler's footmarks were. And they had a couple of people peddling wildly to get these fans going around to try and dry the pitch. But the Jets it was a it's an interesting idea. It's an interesting idea. Let's play another game on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, when I read that there were fans out in the middle, I thought there were a couple of spectators had climbed the fence, but I found out that they were actually blowing fans. You wouldn't have seen that, gosh that had whipped their hair off the top of your head, wouldn't.
Speaker 5: It doesn't take much to whip the hair off the top of my head, but I in fact, there isn't any hair there. But the thing, yeah, it's if they were fans, they wouldn't have been people because of when any fans watching the game. Wise, I don't know if you tuned in, but the whole thing is covered on YouTube, which is quite nice. So you get that here Athurs and Hussein and goers back in the team and I watched quite a.
Speaker 2: Lot of it.
Speaker 5: But they were saying and that's why this news comes as such a surprise, because they during that coverage they identified the pitch for the new game and it was a couple of pitches away. It had a bit of green grass on it. This thing, so it does seem very strange. Indeed, I think one of the most lifeless pictures I've ever seen in test cricket. Very strange, I suppose. I mean, the other thing I thought was intoing. The Bamie Army were there in the small number, and I don't think I saw a Pakistan fan in the ground.
Speaker 2: Only those ones gath who usually do that sort of sipping of the tea, yes, yes, and not knowing quite what to do for thirty seconds.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they may be planted. I'm not sure. If they're cricket fans.
Speaker 2: They're looking the wrong way.
Speaker 4: Very very good at drinking tea.
Speaker 3: There'll be something for us to watch and I'll pick it up on YouTube if that's where it can be picked up. The Black Caps hardly had their feet on the ground before they were entering a short warm up phase for the three Test series with India. Such as International Crickets these days, limited warm up time and for Garry Stead, limited time to says the pitch in being Aluru for the first Test, but enough time to make crucial decisions.
Speaker 6: Going on on past conditions here. I think the decision for us to make will be whether we play three seemas or just the two. It's interesting when you look at the last series that India have just played against Bangladesh, albeit not at this ground, that they have played three seemas in their own conditions. So I think once, I mean, you've been here before as well.
Speaker 7: You know that.
Speaker 6: It's conditions that will take turn at some stage. It's just how much support there is I think for the Seemas in the early stages of the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I suppose you've got a lot of players. You've also played the t turny cricket there IPL, but the conditions may be just a little bit different from what you get in those games.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, And look, I mean this is a high scoring ground when you look at the IPL and it's not a it's not a huge ground. And we played here twice through the twenty twenty three World Cup as well, a very high scoring loss to Pakistan and the Duckworth Lewis game where we scored four hundred. So look, we have some experience here recently, but just just really looking forward to getting getting into training today in the next three days before we start this match. It's always exciting to come to India. They are a real challenge. They have a vast, i think array an experience of cricketers now and the IPL has certainly helped to grow that for them.
Speaker 3: What areas do you want to see the most improvement from the last series.
Speaker 6: Look, I think two things stand out for me. One is if we can get partnerships and we start and put them under pressure, it's maintaining that for longer. So I think in three of the fore innings in Sri Lanka we actually batted very well in difficult conditions and the pitch can change very very quickly over here, So it's about recognizing that and when we do get in is pushing in for big ones. And with the ball, it really just comes down to accuracy and consistency. So whether that's spin or scene, we've seen that the most successful I think players in these conditions it does come down to accuracy. And you look at Again and Dere and someone like Ashwin and Judasia who just I guess they survive on their accuracy over here. And it's something that we keep talking about with our players is our ability to do that will be very important through this series as well.
Speaker 3: What attitude do you want to take into the test in terms of on the pack, You really have to take them on like the old days of when we played Australia, rather than just looking for survival. You've got to take them on and make the play.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think that depends a little bit on how the pitch is playing at the time, but we've certainly talked about wanting to be a team that plays with I guess a slightly more aggressive It's it's got to become what it has to come natural to the players. We have though as well, so we're asking our players to play with a style that they're going to walk off the park at the end of the day saying, hey, I can I can live and die by it, by the way that I've played out there. And and because ultimately it is their careers, it's the ones that that they are. They are batting and bowling in their careers, it's no one else, So we are encouraging them to play that way, and we certainly know against India to beat them, especially if it does start turning, then you have to take a certain amount of risk and with the bat to score the runs that you want to score.
Speaker 3: Any update on Cain Williamson.
Speaker 6: He certainly won't be here to Test one, but we just play that by air at the moment and we're hopeful that he'll be He'll be right for Test too.
Speaker 3: When will a decision be made?
Speaker 6: Look, I imagine it will be somewhere through that middle of the first Test, and then I think this still three or four days in between the two tests, so it's probably no different to us getting here yesterday and being ready for a test in four days.
Speaker 3: Depending on your selections. Who's going about at number.
Speaker 6: Eight someone has to say yeah, look, I mean Matt Henry's scored runs there before. Tim Soudy's better than that position. They've both scored fifties and that for New Zealand, So that's always the balance. I think that possibly in New Zealand becomes more you think about it more there, especially if it's going to be like real Seema friendly. I think here the first thing you want to do is make sure you've got the bowl, as you think that can take twenty wickets as well, and that's certainly part of the thinking as we go into this first Test.
Speaker 3: What about number three? Will Young?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I would imagine so, yeah, I see that Will Young is likely to slot into that position.
Speaker 3: What's the latest situation with Kyle Jamison.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Kyle's progressing well. I haven't obviously seen him for a while now being that we've been over here, but I've seen some video of him and he's tracking along nicely. I mean the plan is still for him to start in that super smash type window and he's sent me on track to be ready for that.
Speaker 3: There's some quite interesting comments in there. One of those is south to be considered as a number eight. I can't believe it. I mean, he struggles to be a number eleven at Test match level. Batting at number eight. Goodness, gracious me, is that what Gazilla is reduced to.
Speaker 5: It seems incredible, doesn't it. I mean, you know, so many fans have been so frustrated over the Southy's betting for such a long time. We all know the contribution he's made with the ball, you know, I can't remember the last time that he, in the old fashioned phrase, got his head done and played a proper cricket knock. He is seemingly just constantly trying to hit the ball over the boundary from his number nine position. You know, I think his batting, I think he's let himself down in New Zealand down with his batting over an extended period of time. And it just shows you the sort of lack of well, this inability to get out of the club really that I call this team now, And it just seems like I for starters, I didn't think Saldy would get picked for the Test, and I think that's the right selection. But then to pick him and play him at number eight, I just find it extraordinary. And the whole thing is so sad really seeing a captain having to stand down as captain during a series or before this new series starts going to Sri Lanka and underperforming having underperformed in series before that. It's very amusing and I'm sure there will be a lot of New Zealand fans who are extremely frustrated by what they hear and see.
Speaker 3: Jerry, You've had a look at teams that could be picked out of the squad that they've got there, and I don't think any of those teams included Sauvi from our point of view. Unless Stead is determined to play three seamers as India have done, as he mentioned, and that would be Sauve, will I Rourke and Matt Henry, then wouldn't.
Speaker 2: It Probably wid I think the underlying issue about the New Zealand side is and the number eight position you're talking about, is that none of our main bowl is bat That's an issue at this level. Now, Why has that happened? Why has Saudi allowed himself to treat his batting in such a frivolous way? But for so long? I hear Steed said he got a fifty at number eight or something like that. I had a quick look in twenty twenty three he got seventy three against England at the base in reserve. You remember the time they won by one run in England, you know inserted, and you said, well they got to follow on, didn't they? And they were in the field for so long. And that was at a strike rate of one hundred and forty nine, which just highlights Garth's point back promptly. Then five years before that, twenty eighteen, he got a fifty that was at christ Church strike rate one hundred and four versus England again. And four years before that two thousand and fourteen, he got a forty at Leeds strike rate of one hundred and sixty six. So you can see if Saudi bats at eight, is he going to smash Ashwyn over five hundred and twenty Test wickets? Now Jadasia or Boomera around, is he going to smash Sarah will simply bounce him. So I think if you look at past New Zealand sides ninety nine two thousand Flemings team in India number eight, Chris Keirns, number nine, Dion Nash number ten, Daniel Vittori, that's an interesting eight nine ten, isn't it. And then in nineteen eighty five New Zealand played Australia. That's our team. We didn't play against India. Number eight Smith, number nine Braceful, both of those two dot Test hundreds, Number ten Lance Keirns. And then you go back to that team you were talking about fifty five years ago, nineteen sixty nine in India, Number eight Wadsworth top score eighty, number nine Dale Hadley top score fifty six, number ten Bob Curis top score fifty one, and number eleven Hendley Howard top score sixty one. They could all hold a bat and you compare it to the lot that we've got. Now there is an issue, isn't it straight away?
Speaker 5: And the other thing that you meet you when you talk about heavy houth and you know in nineteen sixty nine he took nine wickets in the testments that they wanted in the eight or nine, so he could bowl as well.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 5: When you look at Saudi's last ten innings in this calendar year, he's faced i think one hundred and two balls and ten innings. His scores are five to one seven twenty six, not three two two ten and he's been promoted.
Speaker 2: It just says why we need someone like a Nathan Smith who can bowl his little seema and swing it a wee bit. Got the most wickets in the in the Planket Shield last year. Has been over playing in England of that sort of player, but he can hold a bat as well well.
Speaker 5: I think I think more importantly Jerry, you know I agree with you completely, but I bit more importantly. It just cries out for you know, a massive shift in thinking, and that means a change in personnel in terms of I think Gary Steden co time for a change. This sort of thinking as woolly and can't last.
Speaker 2: I'm afraid.
Speaker 3: The other person, of course, that I don't think that they can include in this Test match is Mitchell Sentner. Either more from a bowling point of view rather than a batting point of view.
Speaker 5: He is being picked again as a specialist spinner wads. I think he's played in twenty eight Tests now. He's taken his wickets at a cost of forty two runs. His best bowling figures are three for forty four in a Test match. He's never taken five wickets. He's never taken four wickets in a Test innings, and yet he has played twenty eight Test matches for New Zealand as a specialist spin bowler again. You know, I think New Zealand cricket should that we should hang our heads in shame that he has picked as a front line spin bowler. And I think the fact that Sody has been called in for Tests two and three just as a further indictment on the spin bowling ranks in New Zealand. For him to be traveling over there with the possibility of playing Test cricket, that simply tells you that we have very little strength in those numbers. And I have to say it's something that we've been preaching about for a number of years.
Speaker 3: Well he's over there of course because Michael Braceball may be returning home for the birth of another child, so he's going to be there as a replacement for Braceball. We want to pick a side that's going to be aggressive, that's going to be able to take India on. We're not going to have Williamson at three. Will Young seems to be the man. According to Gary Stead, what's our top five or top six flock?
Speaker 2: Like Jerry Colonway lays the young Ravendra Mitchell Phillips, I don't think there's too much doubt you can change a few of the numbers around, but those will be the six players with Williamson absent. So I mean, I think really we could pick three different sides. I disagree with you, but with Garth, I think that Santner is one of our better number eights, even though it's not particularly strong. I think he got a thirty and a fifty or something like that in Sri Lanka. But if I it's a you know, if if I wanted to pick the best strongest batting lineup, and that may not be the way you want to go, I'd have those six that I've mentioned blood or would be at seven, and then you'd have Sentner, Henry, Patel O'Rourke. Now what that leaves is the best lower order we have at the moment for batting. You know, mean means you've got two seemas O'Rourke and Henry. Is that the option you want? It means you use O'Rourke and Henry and after an initial crack with the new ball, you then give them short two to three over bursts to go with the spinners Stantner and Patel. Stantner you would have to use as a holding like a third Seema Wads, as he used to do when Mike Hessen was the coach, especially in the fings, so that would be similar to the Sri Lankan sides that we saw. Then the strongest bowling option for me would be Blundle at seven, Henry at eight, but Tell at nine, Sally it's at number ten and eleven. Oh Raw, that's the three seamers and one spinner. Totel with the two part timers, and that, I censor is the team that New Zealand will favor. The seamers can do a better job I think in Asia than a second spinner. Actually, you can get through your first innings a lot more by using a seamer at one end and a spinner at the other. It weakens the New Zealand batting quite a lot, I think. And then the third option I think if you want to pursue you mentioned was an aggressive lineup and aggressive play. Gary Stead spoke about that, but to go in tandem with the batting that they that they use against spin. At the moment, you have Blundle at seven, Henry at eight, but Tell at nine, Sears at ten, and Iraq at eleven, So you get two pace options that will become our future. You get Sears and if it swings it will you know, he'll get a bit of movement, a rurical attack with the bounce. Henry the most consistent medium fast we have and that's the way. But there are problems again there the batting is weakened.
Speaker 3: Two good options, though, Garth, I think in terms of the final makeup, bearing in mind that spinning option that you talked about as a weak area, no braceful. Would you play them in one Test match and then have him come home for the birth of his child?
Speaker 5: Well, you see, I probably would if I'd like to see him packed the head of Satan. But again, what I would like and what they will do two different things. And you know, I think when Jerry's right, they will pick Satner. I think you know that that's against figures of one none for sixty four, one for fifty one and none for eighty two in Gaul in Sri Lanka. So but they'll pick him, and they'll pick him because of his batting strength. And you know this is this is what Jerry's referred to and that's been a constant theme with this, with this New Zealand setup. I think though that you know everything that you're hearing from Gary Stead tells you that they're going to play Saudi. That's that's what I think they're going to do, you know, And that means that they will have to play Henry and O'Rourke as well. And so it just becomes to me if that's what they go ahead with, they move away from what they did in twenty twenty one where they had Jamison and Saldi and Saldi you remember five wickets in the first innings in camp or in Bold very well, but I can't see him doing that again. And if they go with that side, then it weakens the spin bowling option. So it just seems to me they've got a real problem. But they obviously want to play Southy and for me, I would be O'Rourke and Henry and then I'd be looking at my spin bowlers, Buttel would be the first one i'd pick, and then I would be trying to find a way for Bracewell and Phillips to be doing the rest of it. But I think they'll go with Santana and that defensive option, and again, as Jerry says quite rightly, he'll be that defensive bowler who can hold an end up and they'll hopefully attack from the other ends. But gee, there's going to be some work to do.
Speaker 2: Bracewell, as far as our spinners are concerned, is by far the most penetrating in terms of spinning the ball. He will get the ball to get up in the air, he'll dip it away. But they've got to give him some bowling. They must get him. He's very good in the park and he can get as many runs as Santla's going to get and he'll be more dangerous with the ball so well, I personally, yeah, I personally think he should certainly play.
Speaker 3: The other thing that was interesting when I asked Gary Stead about what the things that he would like to see an improvement, and he mentioned partnerships. We realized that the batting was substandard in Sri Lanka, but he didn't mention the fielding. And I think that that was the lowest quality fielding I have seen from a New Zealand side. You know, we hear the fact that we've pride ourselves on our fielding. We've always worked hard on the fielding. And I dismissed that no one tries to drop the catch. Well, of course that's not the case. Then no one ever tries to drop a catch. But the fact of the matter are there was some poor attempts at catching during that series and that's got to be picked up as well to support those bowlers.
Speaker 5: Two key positions for me in that regard once Blundell behind the stumps for New Zealand is going to be absolutely critical. I don't think he kept particularly well in India last time, and I don't think he kept particularly well in Tri Lanka and he did drop a crucial chance. And then of course Mitchell at first slip, and we've said live on here on a number of occasions that Mitchell does not look like a natural first slipper. Yes he does take some good grabs in there, but he's not consistent enough in my opinion to be a top class first slip. And it's very hard that those two positions are absolutely critical. And you know New Zealand are going to be starting well and truly behind things in India and they have got to be They've got to be perfect behind the stumps.
Speaker 2: In my view, if you get in in India, you get runs and runs, particularly in the first innings. The best way you know, how Will Young is going to get four possible innings isn't he at number three? I would think the way it's looking at the moment, if Williamson doesn't get back there, maybe six. Actually, if Conway fails, who knows, this could be a tough tour India, a stronger bowling attack New Zealand Boom run Saraj. They like this fellow a steep not a step seeing akash Deep as well, they like him. But Ashwand Jadeja, Akshapatel and Kildep Yadav. That's all good spinners, aren't they over there? They've got more experience and they know how to use the SG bore which is slightly smaller. It's got a higher, more pronounced scene last longer than the kooker barrow does. As you pointed out, wads twelve series now in India, and the best we've done is one all fifty five years ago. You know, our best batsmen is absent. Our batsmen gets sixties and seventies. They got to be one hundred and fifties over there. And I've highlighted here our fielding in New Zealand has deteriorated. So I've come in. But anyway, England, and the last point I would make is India away in Australia next so they will know they want the points against New Zealan and they got a five Test series in Australia. The incent of is there for India to play well.
Speaker 1: Brian Waddell, Jeremy Coney on the front foot.
Speaker 3: Talking about fielding, one of the great fieldsmen of Black Cap era has passed away last week. You Garth and Jerry or Jerry you would have played with him in a few games. I think your first game featured Brian Hastings who passed away in christ Church and yet another farewell to a frontline Black Cap cricketer.
Speaker 5: Absolutely and Brian Hastings was a lovely man and as you mentioned, was a very fine fielder, particularly in the gully behind the stunts. A yeah, lovely man and a good player. Played at thirty one matches over a period of seven years for New Zealand. That was a lot of Test cricket in those days. He scored four centuries which makes him more than useful in those days and thirty which I ventured to suggested a little bit below part. But the pictures weren't as they are today. The ball seemed around a little bit more and Brian Hastings will be remembered very fondly in d by many New Zealand fans, and of course he played in a few fascinating series. He played, of course in that win against the West Indies, played in the Test when Rodney Redmond scored his one hundred in his first Test match, and featured in that magnificent partnership with the Richard Collins one hundred and fifty one for the tenth wicket's.
Speaker 4: Seventy nine for nine with Hastings on one hundred and two Collins fifty three one hundred and twenty eight. This one's the College helps us in a swear another world with God.
Speaker 5: Run through the coother yep, we remember him with a great deal of affection. Brian Hastings terrific contribution to New Zealand cricket.
Speaker 2: Yeah haste. What a good natured, affable and kind of popular team man he was. His playing instincts were always assertive. He liked to set up or attacker targets. You know, good in the park. You mentioned Gully Garth that certainly and also cover when I was playing. He was part of that team in the late sixties and early seventies really wasn't he. When you remember players like Burgess and Hastings and Turner and Congo and Wadsworth, those kinds of people often scored runs when they were needed. You mentioned that base in reserve sixty nine. I remember that was the day when Charlie Griffiths and Prof Edwards, the two opening bowlers for the West Indies, were left out of the touring team to go to England for the West Indies, and they unleashed their anger on the top order of New Zealand that time, and the New Zella were only chasing about one hundred and fifteen hundred and sixty something like that, and Haster went in and we must have been two for thirty and then very shortly after three for forty. Hayster was in, but Brian Yule came to join him at number five. They put together a partnership of about US seventy or eighty runs I think, and Hayster was not out at the end at oh he was over sixty anyway, I know that runs, and Ross Morgan from Auckland was batting with him when they won that game. There's that famous photo of Graham Dowling wrapping his arm around Hayster's shoulder as they walked up from the base and reserve up to the up to the changing rooms up there. So yeah, I recall two things about Hayster. The first was that in seventy four when we played Australia at Lancaster Park, a very tight match, both teams scoring about two thirty to two point fifty in each of their innings, and we were batting last, chasing Ida know about two thirty, we lost Dad Parker in mystery Morrison and Congo. Congo was run out and so we were suddenly three for sixty after quite a reasonable start. And then Hayster joined Glenn Turner who had already got one hundred and the first dig and they had a partnership of over one hundred. I was next in. I knew I was watching every ball, willing it on, sitting in the tunnel down there at Lancaster Park, and Hayster actually got out on the second to last ball of the day. I couldn't believe it. He hit Ashley Mallet and was caught at long arm, second to last ball of the day. I could have strangled his neck, scrawny neck. Anyway, we needed about sort of fifty and I went in the next day and played a sort of a very bad smell innings, you know. I hung around and got out with about twenty to go and turned from Ken Wadsworth got those runs and I remember a big flashing off drive where Words smashed it and a spectator stealing the ball trying to run away, but he was chased by a very resolute Ian redpath from Australia, and he recovered the ball and gave it back to Haster actually, who gave it to the Canterbury Association. It was mounted and in the fiftieth reunion, just that last game we played Australia down there, and it was actually at that reunion, So the last time I saw Paste actually was in the member's lounge at the pavilion, looking a bit frail, but still very much as sparkle in the eye. I do remember my last memory of Haste as on the ground we were playing in Perth. A couple of our bowlers we were bowling, had a quick rub down prior to going out, and Haste the city had quite a tight back, so he grabbed the young jewant that was lying down there and rubbed it on himself. Vigorously on his back at presumably the right spot, and during which the bell went for us to get onto the field. So he raced off to complete a quick toilet and then ran out onto the field. And for the first ten minutes I've never seen him moving so much. I mean he was at cover and he was saving one almost at midawn, so he's racing across the pitch to save. He could not stop moving. And I went past him after an over or two and I said, Haster, that stuff's obviously loosened up your back and he said yeah, he said, but it was going to the toilet after that was the problem. He said, I'm scorching and on fire and mistrides. He forgedt. Do you wash his hands? Yeah, he had the DP, but you know, Haste to play for Burnside. He played for other clubs as well, in christ A, Burnside West. He was of course of Wellington College, played for Wellington, played for Wellington, Yeah and CD. When he lived in Blenham, he was an ICC match referee. Love Trotting, loved Trotting, but most of all just a bloody good mate, you know. Hastere was and very sad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pleasant man to talk to when you were in christ Church, and he spent a lot of time watching games while he was capable. Towards the end of his period in christ Church. Sad to see him go, but lovely memories of Brian Hastings.
Speaker 2: Brian Waddell, Jeremy Coney on the front foot.
Speaker 3: The White films are now starting to show a greater level of consistency. Three wins from four games at the Women's T twenty World Cup. That consistency is coming from the younger players, Georgia Plummer starting to deliver at the top of the order on the expectations from developing talent the likes of Eden Carson, fran Jonas gaining the experience on the international stage. Some tears of delight for the Ferns that skip us, Sophie Divine after beating Pakistan without needing run rate to decide their fate.
Speaker 7: Oh lot, we wanted to bat. We thought it was a good surface. I thought Pakistan were really smart with how they bowl, taking all the pace off it and making us have to create power momentum, which is really hard to do when you're facing that sort of lack of pace. And yeah, I mean outside the power player I thought we were sort of talking one thirty one to forty would have been about par, but as soon as the field is spread, that pace goes off. It was extremely hard work, so we sort of had to reassess. Obviously we would have liked a few more runs, but that's the nature of the game. And then I guess the great thing about it as we knew Pakistan were going to have to come out swinging, and also we knew that one hundred and eleven was going to have to be enough, so that probably galvanized the side a little bit to know that it's enough runs for us today. And again, just really proud of the way the group pulled together, kept things simple. It would have been easy to sort of look too far ahead, but to do the job tonight's you know, really pleasing.
Speaker 3: The final pool stage weren't coming on top of what Divines says were supporting Australia to beat India the previous night.
Speaker 7: I think from about the twelfth over of the Australian bowling innings, we were clapping every single dot ball and things like that. So look, it was another great game. Those two sides seem to have some absolute humdingers in terms of matches. So yeah, again thanks to oursie mates across the ditch. Hopefully we'll be seeing them in a final in a couple of days time. But yeah, again, it just shows the strength of women's cricket that, you know, a side like India has missed out. Yeah, and it just goes to show you the strength of the woman's game at the moment. Ah, Yeah, you're right, and it's really important that we reflect on where we've come from. In terms of that South Africa World Cup, we're in an exact same situation as we are in this tournament. We knew we'd have to win at least one of our first two games and obviously the remaining games, and we learn a lot about ourselves, not only from that World Cup, but the I guess following twelve eight months. We obviously brought in a really young squad and to see them grow and shine like this tournament. You know, if it's not Georgia Plimmer, it's Eding Casson. If it's not eating it's Franjonis. But it's not Franuzzy I thought was outstanding today. And to be able to see the growth of those youngsters, it certainly makes me proud, sort of a bit of a proud mum. I'm sure I'm not the cool mum that they want me to be. But to see the growth that they've had from Matt tournament, it was really hard for them to be thrown into that and expectations. But for us, you're right, probably no one has expected us to be here, and I guess that's a bit of a key we way though, we sort of fly under the radar and you know, just sort of will swift away a little bit. But to know that when we play our best cricket, we can win this thing. So we'll certainly, you know, enjoy tonight's success and what we've been able to achieve, but this is now. The next focus for us is now we're here, we want to win the bloody thing. Yeah, and I think you look at who's on the bench. I mean, Molly pen Fold has been outstanding the last twelve month. She's you know, come on and leap some bounds. And you've still got players like Jess k hanaho Leak Asprick you missed out tonight, And it is it's those small way things where it's going to take time to build depth, especially in the country as small as New Zealand. It's not going to happen overnight. So this has been you know, even since before the World Cup, common games, you know, for us to continue to build, and it's going to be a continual work on for us as given the same level of depth because we're not India, we don't have a billion people you know to sort of pick from. So yeah, again it's really positive signs, but we know that this is just part of the journey and yeah, we're moving in the right direction, but there's still a long way to go.
Speaker 3: And their own victory over India in the opening game was a key factor in their progress to the Semis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was huge.
Speaker 7: You know, it'll probably be something that we reflect back on once this Toilman's finished, whenever that is. I think I spoke after that match that we've been planning that game for a long long time and to see our plans you know, come to fruition is something that was really pleasing and to see you know, I guess at the time, it's always nice to win, but I guess the way that we won as well obviously helped our net run rate, but it also showed a lot in terms of what our bowlers are capable of against you know, an absolutely dangerous Indian banning lineup, but also with the bat that we've got threats throughout our lineup. So yeah, it certainly was. I guess gave us a bit of a confidence boost. Everyone knows we haven't had the greatest results over the last six to nine months, so to be able to pull that out it has it's given this group and even tonight's performance I think as well, you know, Pakistan are a dangerous team as well. I think Fatimasana is just the absolute future of the women's game and just so much respect for her and obviously condolences to her and her family, but for her to come out there tonight just blows my mind really to show you know, her strength and stuff like that, so players like her going around. I think the woman's game is going to be in pretty good hands.
Speaker 3: And finally this week domestic cricket starts this weekend the Ford Trophy. Central Districts playing Auckland Wellington a home against the Canterbury and Northern Districts have a home game against Otago.
Speaker 2: Brings to an end.
Speaker 3: Another edition of On the Front Foot will be able to have a look and review the Test match this time next week. Hopefully they've taken note of some of the things we've offered by way of assistance and all the help.
Speaker 2: We know that's not true, no.
Speaker 3: But you know is that our teams never have to go on the path.
Speaker 2: Yep, no worries. Good on your odds all right now, take care bye.
Speaker 7: Summer.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talks at b listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio