Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks. It be follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio. It's time for all the attitude, all the opinion, all the information, all the debates.
Speaker 2: Of theists, now.
Speaker 1: The Layton Smith Podcast powered by News Talks.
Speaker 3: It be Welcome to podcasts two hundred and sixty two for October thirty, twenty twenty four. I was just twelve weeks ago that we spoke with power engineer Brian Leyland on electricity supply inadequacies. But his concern has since deepened, so we update and consider whether nuclear power deserves more attention. And it hits up me as it does. Last year when we were in London, Christian Smith, whom I am closely related, podcasted on life in London for young New Zealanders in particular. It was appreciated by a large number of people. Media commentary recently seems to suggest that the young are fleeing Britain. Have things changed since July twenty three? Well, yes and no, and Christian's got plenty to say. Now I don't really need to point out that from today there is one week to the most important election, If not ever, then certainly in our lifetimes. There are some people who are bored with it or don't like it around interested. I feel sorry for them, to be honest, because this is an incredibly, incredibly important election that affects the whole world and that includes US. So at the back end of two six two I'll drop in some aspects of this election that are worthy of attention in my opinion, But first COVID inquiries that are getting attention on both sides of the Tasman and Britain and the US and elsewhere. And I choose to quote Robert McCulloch who guessed it on podcasts two fifty one. McCulloch is a professor of economics at Auckland University who has the ability to be a brutally honest well in his opinion and be offensive in his criticism to some, including some good acquaintances of mind as it happens, it is though a case of free speech, like it or not now in his blog down to Earth Kiwi, the Australians make it official. Labour leader Hipkins, aided by his henchmen in the mainstream media, wrecked New Zealand's economy by ordering vaccine's late and destroyed trust in our government. I think it's more to it than that, to be honest, but nevertheless, this is his opinion and I shall air it. Days after this blog released its two minute COVID Inquiry, which I argued Labour leader and former COVID nineteen minister Chris Hipkins, together with former PM A Dern and Health Chief Ashley Bloomfield, ordered the COVID vaccine late, which crushed the New Zealand economy and smashed trust in government as it forced them into an over reliance on lockdown. In twenty twenty one, the Australian COVID Inquiry has released near identical findings, almost word for word, and briefly the first wide ranging inquiry into the nation's pandemic. This is Australia Response has found delays procuring COVID nineteen vaccine cost lives and delivered a thirty one billion hit to the economy. In New Zealand's case, it was a fifteen billion dollar hit, which is why our health system is now underfunded, infrastructure crumbles and teachers are underpaid. Then if we swing to his closing, New Zealand does not need to waste more money on COVID inquiries. The Australians have done ours for us. It matches what this blog argued in twenty twenty one, as evidenced by our writings and radio interviews, maybe more than any other institution. Our mainstream media Radio New Zealand One News, Herald, News Hub and stuff, should take a look at themselves and ask why they sold out kiwis by not objectively scrutinizing the New Zealand government during those times. So there is more after the mail room, the back end of the mainstream media at its place in the world. And while there is so much more than we can deal with, we'll do our best to point out a couple of interesting factors now in a moment. Brian Leland Laighton Smith. Brian Leyland is a consulting engineer with the experience in all aspects of the power industry, and that experience covers over fifty decades. We last spoke with him only twelve well, I say only twelve weeks ago, because it seems like it was only about five or six, but in podcasts number two hundred and fifty I think it was, And now we're doing two hundred and sixty to Brian appreciate your time and appreciate even more your input the subjects of electricity supply in this country. When we spoke twelve weeks ago, you were disturbed, but now you are even more concerned over the continued supply and reliability of electric power in this country. Correct.
Speaker 4: Correct, We.
Speaker 5: Scraped through the shortage because it rained just in time. The legs were at a lower level than they've ever been before, and if it hadn't rained, we would have had blackouts. But even then we had shortages that led to shutdown in two industries, So in a way we did have blackouts, but not affecting the consumer. So we're in a serious situation now.
Speaker 3: The MDAG, the market developed an advisory group that existed between twenty seventeen and February of this year, has what do we call.
Speaker 5: Them past it's had a look at als degeneration going forward, and it's all based on some very dubious assumptions.
Speaker 3: All right, now you've gone through this and it must have taken you some time. You've drawn up some conclusions on your part, and so you've posed some questions. Shall we run through them or some of them?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I think that's a good idea right.
Speaker 3: So, starting at the top, a basic assumption is that domestic, industrial and commercial consumers will be happy to make major changes in their behavior. For domestic consumers, most of the changes will save less than a few dollars a day. For commercial consumers like officers and shops that need to reduce consumption will in most cases lead to losses in sales or productivity. So what is your question?
Speaker 4: Okay, just a little bit of background.
Speaker 5: The assumptions behind all this are but we haven't gone that generating capacity and therefore the consumers are going to have to respond otherwise we'll have blackouts and they're looking at having a massive response from consumers. So question is, so, in the real world evidence from New Zealand or overseas, consumers will be happy to change the way their home or business runs to save a small amount nol thritty cost. And the answer appears to be absolutely not. They'll do a bit. And in the days when we made good use of water heating, we could reduce our load by five or ten percent just overpeak them on periods, but not enough to make a difference to a dry year, not enough to make a difference to the situation where the wind doesn't blow for several days.
Speaker 3: And we get those days now.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Another indeed, another assumption is that people will be happy to plug in their electric car and have the system deplete their battery whenever the system is in trouble.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, as far as I can make out, there's no evidence anywhere in the world of this being a substantial contributor to demand side management. And I can't imagine that people would want to risk having their battery flat when they get up in the morning just to safe make a few dollars selling pounds a year to the system.
Speaker 4: Well, that that's being reflected, it makes sense. Yeah, that's that's.
Speaker 3: Reflected in in this In this next observation, another assumption that sales of electric vehicles in New Zeala are going to increase rapidly. Yet the evidence indicates that now that the subsidies have been removed, the enthusiasm for electric cars has largely died away. Is that is that correct?
Speaker 5: Yes, that's dire, and I've got figures to prove it. Electric car sales this year were hardly greater than last year. And what you need for electric cars to be a success is something like a fifty increase year on year on year, and it's not happening anywhere in the world. And you must always remember that electric cars would not exist but the government mandates and subsidies.
Speaker 4: It isn't.
Speaker 5: An industry that would exist in a competitive situation.
Speaker 3: Let me throw it a personal observation here. It's my belief that part of the reason that is tied up with all this is that they want us out of cars anyway. They want us out of cars and into in the public transport, in the walking and on bikes and scooters and what have you. And they've made some progress in places like well, you've got your fifteen minute hounds that are developing around the country. I'm not sure how many there are, but there are some. But I always revert to Auckland, to Auckland Central for an example, where they've screwed up shockingly, disgracefully and very badly just to boot and wreck the city.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I know. The whole thing's crazy.
Speaker 5: And if you're looking to get people out of cars, and what you've got to do is provide them with a convenient door to door transport, and people are now developing electric self driving taxis that will do that job, and you know, the whole industry is waiting there to go ahead. Self driving is going to come sooner or later. You won't get people back into buses in the way that they expect, but you will get them into a self driving speaking their self driving service.
Speaker 4: You'd have to have a lot of them though.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, okay, we went with with with great interest. Now worldwide, the evidence is that more wind and solar power connected to the system, the higher the power price, Australia being a perfect example. I think I think wholesale prices increased in Australia for about four cents to what about triple that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, pretty well, that's that's a characteristic that seems to be all over the world. They are always saying the wind and solar are the cheapest, and what they really mean is at the station gate that cheaper, but by the time you've paid for backup and transmission and all the other costs they impose on the system, it's very expensive. So it's basically nonsense to talk about wind and solar being cheap.
Speaker 3: Okay. Now, the group that being the market Developing Advisory Group under the auspices of the Electricity Authority, the group assumes that in spite of the declining income from wind and solar power when it is abundant and needs to be dumped and causes a price crash, generators and developers will continue building wind and solver. Now that to me seems to be nuts. Why do they believe that many of the consented products will be built in spite of the obviously declining economics as we get more and.
Speaker 5: More of them, Because they're ignoring the realities of the power system. And I think the people who've been involved in this report don't have a good understanding of how the power system works. The basic underlying problem, I think is that there is a whole amount of groupthink amongst the people in Wellington and among the senior people in some of the generating companies, and they all believe this and it's become an article of firm belief, and there's not enough people involved with experience of the power system who will point out that there's serious problems with it.
Speaker 3: Just a quick word on geo thermal good.
Speaker 5: We are developing more, and we should, but there's a limit to how much we can develop. We don't quite know what the limit is, but it's certainly good.
Speaker 3: Is it likely to be hindered by other groups?
Speaker 5: Probably if they spread out into new fields. All the fields are being developed were identified years ago as promising or better than promising. But there are other areas where there may be a good resource which needs expiration drilling, right, and there may be objections to that.
Speaker 3: Now, all these these questions, and there are more, but we've touched on I think the main ones. All these questions need responses. So is there anything in place or are you following any lines of shall we say, pursuit?
Speaker 5: I it is a formal letter to a member of the electricity authority what you've got in front of you?
Speaker 3: But only one member?
Speaker 4: Is that right?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 5: And I can't say I can't and will not say who it is. No, that would be wrong, all right?
Speaker 3: But is that one member in a position to be able to influence the.
Speaker 4: Authority reasonably high? Up?
Speaker 3: Okay? This will be shall we say interesting? Now? There is the other subject that I'm very keleen to talk about, albeit probably briefly, is nuclear energy. And I've been I've been keeping an eye on Australia and there is a there is a what i'd call a major shifting attitude in Australia from from people who were waking up to the fact that nuclear is the answer. And there is a There is also a what shall I call it a quote, and it doesn't matter who said it, but it was somebody of appropriate authority that without nuclear there will be no net zero. You want net zero, you have to include nuclear.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Has that applied to New Zealand? Two?
Speaker 4: Do you think?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 5: Even geothermal imits carbon darkside, so jeering amounts, some feels quite a lot and some not very much.
Speaker 3: All right, what about this? What about this? This this one question, and it's an obvious one, very obvious because it's been around forever, that that is likely to have an influence on members of the population, and that is nuclear safety. How far have we advanced enormously?
Speaker 5: And the fact is that in the Western world, no nuclear station has killed anybody from radiation. Three Mile Islands has cause of station to be shut down on a disaster. You've got more radiation from spending a couple of hours in Grand Central Station, which is made of granite whichmits radiation. Fukushima, According to the International Sensus, nobody has or will die of radiation from Fukushima, yet they shut down lots of nuclear stations. The whole thing's crazy. It's seriously safe. It's something like a hundred times safer than the next major generating technology, certainly safer than large stamps.
Speaker 4: They're very dangerous.
Speaker 3: Well, my sister lived very close to three Mile Island when it happened, and she her husband and the two little kids who jumped in the car and left, as did so many other people. Yeah, and then I can't remember now how long it was before they moved back, but they certainly did and seemed to have suffered no ill effects.
Speaker 5: Of course they wouldn't. They've probably probably less radiation than what you've got from a long airline trip. What did you go about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you go up further up in the sky, you get more radiation. Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, it's the problem is that according to the rules, they're not reality. Six thousand milli seabirds will kill you, none will not hurt you, and three there and will half kill you. So the more of it, the more dangerous. Is The reality, which is well proven and well established, is up to about three thousand, two or three thousand millisivers are harmless. And the proof of that is medical radiation. When you get radiated in some cancer, it's the cancer itself is subject to a lethal dose of radiation. Six thousand more more milionsiverts. These stuff just outside of the cancer gets a very still gets a very high radiation dose. You don't you can't suddenly cut it off. So all the people who have radiation for cancer are radiated, also get radiated healthy tissues, and their death rate is not abnormally higher than normal. They don't die of radiation sickness afterwards at all. Right, So the whole thing is based on assumptions which are demonsterly not true, and it is seriously safe.
Speaker 3: Okay. My response to that, if I were of such a mind, would be to say to you that convincing people that it's safe is not going to happen because we won't let it happen because we don't want we don't want nuclear in New Zealand. End of story. And so it will be the subject will be shut down, the same as matters of climate change have been shut down by the media and elsewhere. Is that the way you see it?
Speaker 5: No, I give quite a lot of public lectures on net zero, the dream and the reality, and I usually mention nuclear power, and I often ask the audience, which is in the older age group, whether they think New Zealand should be considering nuclear power, and from usually round about a half foot they hands up. When I ask who thinks we shouldn't, a few put the hands up. It's something we should be talking about. If men made carbon dioxide really is real and dangerous, which I don't believe, it is the only satisfactory solution and an acceptable price and an acceptable reliability.
Speaker 3: By the way, Cop twenty nine is upcoming is I can't help but laugh because after twenty nine cops, what improvements have they made to the world.
Speaker 4: None?
Speaker 5: Last year, we've burnt more coal than we ever had before, and give mean us or the world, the world, the world more coal than ever has before. Consumption of oil and gas is still going up, and people like us are here poverishing ourselves in a feeble attempt to make a tiny change to the world's climate.
Speaker 4: It's crazy.
Speaker 3: A tiny change.
Speaker 4: Hey well, well not even that. I suggest no change, no change, Yeah, no measurable change.
Speaker 3: That'll do. I'll settle to no measurables.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, it's it's a fascinating life. We're living at the moment. May what's the Chinese saying, May you live in interesting times?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a curse. By the way, we're certainly living in interesting times. There's no doubt about that exactly. And it's going to get more interesting.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think so, Brian appreciate it. Thank you, hips, and we'll.
Speaker 2: Talk you very much. We shall love you to talk to you always. We'll talk again, Layton Smith.
Speaker 3: Leverrix is an antihistamine made in Switzerland to the highest quality. Leverx relieves hay fever and skin allergies or itchy skin. It's a dual action antihistamine and has a unique nasal decongestent action. It's fast acting for fast relief and it works in under an hour and lasts for over twenty four hours. Leverrix is a tiny tablet that unblocks the nose, deals with itchy eyes, and stops sneezing. Leverrix is an antihistamine made in Switzerland to the highest quantity. So next time you're in need of an effective antihistamine, call into the pharmacy and ask for Leverix lv Rix levrix and always read the label. Takes directed and if symptoms persist, see your health professional Farmer broker Auckland. Christian Smith is a New Zealander. He's an X at least for the moment. He lives in London. He works in London. He is a lawyer. Spent a couple of years working for a top law firm in Auckland, then went to London and decided he wanted to be in media, so he did some studies in journalism and now he is a lawyer journalist and he has a family background of media. His father is moderately successful in the New Zealand radio market. Now it is fifteen months since we spoke in London. Fifteen months and I don't know where it's gone, but it's down the drain. And we did a very interesting We had a very interesting conversation on the podcast and a lot of people appreciated it. This was about life in London and for expats from here moving over there. Now, my belief is that based partly on a couple of lines that I'll read you at a moment, but my belief is that things have changed somewhat in the last fifteen months, not necessarily in fact, I'll say not for the better and by the way, welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 6: How right am I? Well, thank you for having me back. Not particularly not particularly right.
Speaker 3: Sorry. What's changed in fifteen months? I would say, having.
Speaker 6: Read those articles you referred to, I would say many of the problems they talk about were there before. I don't think much has changed in the last fifteen months really. I think, I mean, we can come onto politics in a minute in the sense that is a new government after the election in July, and that will or may bring about big, big changes, but particularly on a kind of micro personal lifestyle level, not much has really changed. Of course, the UK went through plenty of issues surrounding the cost of living and pandemic and said over the last sort of eight years or so, a lot of those issues still exist. I think, perhaps of anything, what's changed in the last for fifteen months is things seem to have calmed down a wee bit. Inflation is down. It's back down to kind of pre pandemic levels I believe was around two percent and the most recent numbers, which is obviously around where they target it. Cost of living is still a big issue, but it does feel less intense for people. I think people have adjusted, but also it's easy for me to say that as a kind of single individual not having to support a family, the job market is I am mixed reports.
Speaker 3: It's all right, I think, you know, generally things are much the same, I suppose. Okay, So the two articles I'm talking about, we're both in the Telegraph a couple of days apart. First one is it's time for the young and ambitious to leave Brittain. Fly into Britain through Heathrow, and one of the first things you'll see on getting off the plane is a helpful sign pointing a little way to the baggage reclaim. Looking ahead to the budget, it might be worth adding a second, larger sign, abandon all hope ye who pay tax here ahead of the budget. The only element that appears to be in doubt is just how much Chancellor Rachel Reeves intends to raise taxes. By the Institute of Physical Studies thinks we're in for twenty five billion pounds in tax rises. The Bank of America suggests thirty five billion. Is this of great concern to you and your colleagues.
Speaker 6: I think you can take that into two Take that question into two parts. The first part of abandon all hope, you know watch the situation on the ground, and the second part being the budget. I think to the short answer to the budget question is sort of twofold. First of all, the government here has sort of pledged not to raise taxes on working people. There's a huge kind of ridiculous debate going on in the media at the moment about what a working person is because the labor government tried very hard not to mention working class during the election campaign because that nobody really wants to talk about class anymore apparently.
Speaker 3: But generally speaking, it's the.
Speaker 6: Budget comes out on the Davis podcast comes out, I believe, so in many ways we're sort of floating in the year before that. It's quite a hush hush thing over here. Before the budget comes out. They leak a thing or two on purpose. But apart from that, but I think the tax rerisers look set to mainly go on businesses, things like inheritance tax, that sort of thing. It seems almost very unlikely to go on your average pay earner. So in terms of our I me and my colleagues concerned about that, not particularly at the moment. If you want to take the question of abandon all faith, you who pay taxes here or you know people who are here. I mean that I think I think I find it very hard to take a broad brush approach to kind of economic issues in the UK. I think it's so dependent on what you do and what you're trying to do here. You know, if you're if you're an average average worker, things are generally pretty tough in terms of you know, cost of living and that sort of thing. If you're running a business, I hear it's it's it's.
Speaker 3: Very very tough. Well, what you've just said is is pretty damn serious. I would have thought, I if the cost of living is as high as you're talking, well, I know it is, having having been there just fifteen months ago, But has it noticeably gone up at all? Since I wouldn't say, I wouldn't say in the last fifteen months.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think there's a statistic that I think is a really interesting one, which is that per capita in the UK GDP per capita now in the UK is closer to Poland than it is to the US. And I think there was something I read not that long ago that suggested that Poland might catch up and or overtake the UK in terms of gdp per capita in the near future. Now, I think that sort of does a disservice to how well the Polish economies been doing in the last decade or so.
Speaker 3: It's been doing very very well.
Speaker 6: But given the sort of impression that the UK has and how it's you know, what the UK is used to being in the world as in a leading first world economy, I mean that says quite a lot. I think there are major, major issues economically, and I'm not an economist, but there are major economic issues with the UK and a lot of that comes down to, you know, I think relatively boring policy related things like planning, laws and access and that sort of thing. But that is where a lot of the problems arise. Well, it is so in practically every other country in the world. As you say, the budget, the budget comes out, we've after we've done this podcast, But is there anything likely on the budget frontline that would encourage you to go to Portugal?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 6: I see, I mean personally no, I think I think it's worth saying that. You know, I love the UK. I've been here for six years now and it's it's it's fantastic. I also think it's probably important so we might come on to this later that you know, kind of self sort of internal naval gazing and doom and gloom mongering amongst you know, the chattering classes say in the UK it's a national and across the country it's a national pastime.
Speaker 3: So sort of talking.
Speaker 6: About how everything is just awful and we're all doomed is just something that has gone on in the UK for the last eighty years.
Speaker 3: It just it just happens.
Speaker 6: So I think every time you kind of hear about how horrible things are, probably need to take everything with a pinch of salt in that sense in saying that there is still a sense of gloom over the country. In terms of you know, people want to I can understand why there's this sort of dry for people to move to Portugal, and that's not a purely UK thing. You know, they're plenty of people who want to go and do the digital nomad thing nowadays who might want to go to other countries and you know where they're more encouraged to go, like Canada, like the Netherlands where they give them tax breaks or it's easier to get visas, and that you know, it's you're sort of treated in an immigration sense, you're welcomes rather than seen, as you know, to being one of the many people who have come in that year. There's still a sense here that nothing works in the public service sector. You know, Trains are regularly delayed or canceled. There have been strikes over the last few years. Many of them have just sort of ended, hopefully for good, but they'd likely a huge well, we'll see, but that's been a huge issue.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: It seems that no sooner has one section of the tube been reopened after repairs, that another one has shut. I actually I got I got an email from Transport for London about our local tube line escalator that was being shut for maintenance next month for three months. And I'm not an expert, but I don't understand why one escalator takes three months to fix. And you know, it's the stories with buying a house here as well. Is much like New Zealand. It's very hard for young people, particularly in jobs where you know, traditionally forty years ago it would have been fine to buy a house in that job. There are huge issues with water companies polluting into rivers. The NHS National Health Service is still a disaster zone really, so there is the sense that nothing really worked. I suppose that's just not that's not new since last year, and I.
Speaker 3: Got the impression that the NHS is in worse shape now than it was fifteen months ago. It's on a declaim. I mean, I.
Speaker 6: Suppose you could say that that is true in the sense that it's still headed in the same direction. I mean, it depends which report you read and which anecdotal piece of evidence you take, and who you're asking it which time, whether it's in winter or somewhere or whatever.
Speaker 3: I mean. The new government.
Speaker 6: Started to review into the NAGS, which has recently completed a kind of root and branch what's going on, what's going on with it?
Speaker 3: How can we make it fit for the future.
Speaker 6: And the review is very damning to no one's surprised, I think, with the least surprising thing that has come out of government reviews ever. But you think, you know, I know, there are obviously problems in New Zealand as well, but things like wait times here are just extraordinary. You know, people genuinely fear god having to go to A and E because they know they're going to be there for hours and hours and hours. So According to this report, waiting times in A and E, ten percent of patients wait twelve hours or more to be seen, and the waiting times in A and E are estimated to contribute to fourteen thousand deaths a year that could have been prevented.
Speaker 3: If those waiting times weren't there. I mean, that's extraordinary, extraordinarily terrible. And yet there are people who still think that it's the best health service in the world.
Speaker 6: Well, I think, I mean, I think that's interesting because in many way the NHS is and I might have said this last time we spoke, the NHS is kind of the closest thing the UK now has to a national religion, and until recently, to criticize the idea of it was unheard of. But I think what has really happened, and partly this was driven by the kind of wake up call. Well it was worse than a wake up call that COVID was, But there is now a kind of acceptance that there needs to be serious structural change and that's what the current government is saying to make it serviceable, because it just is not working at the moment.
Speaker 3: Well, question is the current government, which is a left wing government, capable of even approaching that little and succeeding. Well, the proof will be in the pudding, I suppose. I mean, they had this report into the health service. They're now considering how to implement Chambers. But I think changes. But I think that much in the same way as the budget. You know, the kind of messaging from the new government which is sort of adding to the sense of gloom across the board is things are going to get worse before they get better. You know, there needs to be significant investment in not just a public services, but also just sort of the country and the economy, and that's going to cost money and take time, and there's you know, the main message from the government is that they're trying to get across is that enough of this quick fix idea, Let's actually look at properly how to long term fix the problems at the country faces, which sounds like a very sensible approach. I think just at the moment they are struggling somewhat to convey exactly what that will look like and convince people that they know how to do it. That could possibly be because it's exactly true, they don't know how to do it well.
Speaker 6: I mean, look, I think that the honeymoon period for the government that was elected in July did not last particularly long.
Speaker 3: They have been plagued by a series of issues.
Speaker 6: I think it's fair to remember though, that to point out perhaps that you know, kind of labor governments tend to have to meet a higher standard in the public eye than conservative governments. I mean, the UK is a conservative country with a large sea in the sense that I think since the war that the Conservative Party has been in power for basically double the time that Labor Party has been in power. People inherently think of the Conservative Party as a as the party of government, and so that means that the Labor Party has sort of held to higher standards in general. We might disagree about that, but I think that is generally seen as not an uncommon opinion. But that means that, you know, to kind of achieve the things they want to achieve, they have to really make a good go of it. Otherwise people are going to look at what, you know, in five years time when there's another election and say you haven't really done anything, will vote you well. And that's the case across kind of Europe and a lot of the West, where you know, the two major parties aren't really offering much change and haven't really been great at it since the GFC.
Speaker 3: The second article from the Telegraph headed a very nice life for a lot less money. Why young people are fleeing high tax Britain and the tax is going to get even high by the look of it. So as an example of a fellow called Charlie Baron who moved from London to Lisbon last year, he wanted to leave Britain as much as he wanted to go to Portugal. And then he gets into how much it costs to set up a company and do business and what have you, but he talks of the advantages, the lifestyle advantages. Also, Portugal is a country that I've heard more and more about favorably over the last few years, and possibly possibly any other country. But getting back to wine, getting back to what you are closer to it than me, so you might have a better idea getting back to Britain itself, which is part of the reason that young people are being encouraged or are fleeing from Britain. Some thirty percent of eighteen to twenty four year olds want to move abroad, according to a UGOV survey that was earlier this year. What's more, more than a third of British people believe that they are right too, and that young people face a brighter future that if they emigrate. At a survey from job a job site indeed, what would you call a job site? Indeed found almost two thirds of Britain would consider working abroad. Two thirds rise into an astronomical three quarters among eighteen to twenty four year olds. Suggested a widespread dissatisfaction with life in the UK. And I could go on giving you more ugly statistics like that. There's examples of couples with kids all wanting to get out of Britain because the schooling's not so good. They think it's probably better elsewhere. Christian, I just say that I think I think that I've learned something recently, and that is that. And you touched on this in a round about way a moment ago, and that is that it's a case of the grass on the other side of the fence looking greener. But in some cases it happens to be true. You've got friends in Amsterdam. Why did they go there? How long have they been there and why do they stay?
Speaker 6: I do They've probably been there around the same amount of time I've been in London. I think some of them went somewhat for family reasons, you know, they had family there as well. But I mean, Amsterdam is an interesting country which is much more welcomes, shall we say, highly educates people with tax breaks when they get there for the first kind of between twenty months and five years, in an effort to bring in kind of to attract those sorts of people Canada does. I don't know about tax breaks, but they make visas much easier. I mean, talking about young people in the UK wanting to move abroad, I suppose what that survey doesn't necessarily tell us is how many of them want to just go abroad for a few years and come home like many Kiwis do. And how many You know, what this sort of compared to in the past. I mean, I think, you know, British people moving abroad for a while is nearly as common, or is perhaps less common than it is for Kiwis, but it's still relatively common. So I mean, there is a sense of the grass is always green. But again I'd say it's dependent on what you do. I think for many people that that issue is you know, if you're in let's say, I don't know a marketing job, or a public health job, or or a teacher. Your prospects looking to the long term, you know, you might be struggling when you're younger, in your or twenties, say for salary reasons, but in the UK your prospects looking further ahead are also not amazing.
Speaker 3: You know, there's not a huge.
Speaker 6: There's not an extraordinary kind of ladder of pay to go up, which there might be in other countries. But then again, if you flip that on its head, if you're a lawyer in the UK, say your salary prospects are, particularly if you're working anywhere to do with business law, your salary prospects compared to most other countries are frankly enormous. And you could say some of the things about anything in the financial sector. So it really does, it really does depend on what you want to do. I mean, doctors is a really good example, and I think doctors is something that I mean Australia in particular, of course, as everyone listening will know gets right, and New Zealand less so, but in particular the UK. You know, the UK has a huge issue with doctors moving from from here to Australia and New Zealand. I went to a music festival in the summer with a mate of mind who's adopted as a GP in the Hawk's Bay, and he came over just for a holiday and we met up with some of his friends who were doctors or are doctors he met working in hospitals in New Zealand, and they were telling me, you know, just how many hospitals in New Zealander staff by Briish or Irish doctors, and how many of them or their colleagues, you know, we're no longer working in medicine in the UK that either changed careers or moved overseas.
Speaker 3: And it's you know, you know, island's the same. They've got similar problems, and.
Speaker 6: That's just because the working conditions in the PAYER are frankly significantly better. And for most people it's a bit of a no brainer, you know. I think often it's it's from some people I speak to it sounds like the norm is to go rather than to stay. But again it depends on what you do, and it depends on personal circumstances.
Speaker 3: What about education in the UK, I mean, there's a there's a couple in one of these articles, who moving to Australia from Kent. And they're moving to Australia because well, when education came up in the discussion, they were going to the three kids were going to a school they were very happy with this is primary school, but the prospects beyond that were very well sad would be an appropriate word, and so they were looking forward to getting to Australia and having the kids get a better education. Now I could suggest to them that there's things that they might not know, but that that would depend on the advantage that they saw over what they've what they've already got on. By the way, that couple, he's a builder and Australia has recently changed its entry rules for certain occupations and building building is one of them. Now, what happens when the builders, Because you've got a shortage of housing, you can't afford to lose builders in Britain. But if they're going to find it better to move to the antipathies or anywhere else for that matter, then that creates a problem for you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, I can't say I'm a massive expert on that or on the education system.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 6: I mean Funnily enough, my two of my flatmates are a builder and a teacher, so I talk to them a fair amount. And I've sort of just moved over here from New Zealand to do the sort of wee type thing.
Speaker 3: I don't think they're going to be here.
Speaker 6: They don't, you know that their plan is to go back within a few years, but they wanted to come over here and you know, travel and live somewhere else and that sort of thing. I can't say, you know that I know how much of an issue that's going to be with builders leaving the UK. I mean, I would say, generally speaking, the UK is still a very attractive country, and I think you're going to see a thing where a lot of the builders, as many of them actually already are, will come from overseas, you know. So there's plenty of builders from other parts of Europe, for example, in the UK who have been here since well before Brexit, So I don't know exactly how much of a lack there is actually.
Speaker 3: I couldn't tell you.
Speaker 6: Teachers, there's certainly a shortage of teachers, and I know that there's significant you know, I've got a few friends over here with teachers and their experience of schools over here is quite different to back home. It depends if you're talking about secondary or primary. I suppose. I think a school curriculum over here is much more lightly controlled. Is one of the things that secondary teachers say, you're kind of told what to teach by the government. There's much less kind of leeway than there is a New Zealand, where you can pick from a larger variety of subjects, and there's a much much stronger emphasis on examinations and.
Speaker 3: The results of those.
Speaker 6: You know, I've always since moving over here, I've always been really grateful that I did my schooling in New Zealand because the pressure on kids over here, because there's more emphasis on exam results, and that's a large part because of the more importance given to people going to university and go to good universities, so that the sort of stress that you see on teenagers can be extraordinary. You know, there's huge rooms with anxiety and arex hea and that sort of thing at high schools over here.
Speaker 3: But then I mean more generally, there's.
Speaker 6: A huge diversity and quality of schools over here as well, which there is in New Zealand of course too, and I can't really speak evidentially on that, but you do hear about sort of underfunding and overwork of teachers, which is definitely something I've seen reflected and my friends over here.
Speaker 3: I see though that there's a flight of a considerable number of students, good students from school to universities in the US.
Speaker 6: Now, yeah, I mean, I don't know the numbers behind that. I mean, I know it's a thing in New Zealand as well, of course. I mean the university is at the moment are going through something of a crisis because basically it's short short history of this was back in twenty twelve the government effectively tripled university fees from three thousand pounds a year to nine thousand pounds a year overnight, hugely controversial. Lots of riots took place around that. But because of that, the university is now kind of twelve years later.
Speaker 3: Saying we need more money.
Speaker 6: And one of the consequences you're seeing of that is that there are more international students been being offered places at universities over here because they have to pay more fees. There's not a cap on. I don't know if there is a cap on. How high international fees can go. But you know, as whos get more money from international students, so there is increasing increasing pressure on local students for places because of that.
Speaker 3: Okay, so let me just quote you this bit. For now, young Britains are going to keep moving overseas well. They're doing that from everywhere, aren't they. I mean it's more I think it's more universal now than it ever has been. Liberty, who works in international development, and Sam, a teacher, moved abroad in August. They considered other locations Dubai, where Liberty's employer has another office, or Thailand, which is a well worn route for British teachers, but found you'd never guess, but found Kenya offered the best combination of new experiences, lower living costs, and perpetual summer. Let's pray as you'd consider virtual summer, I can perpetual summer. I can see the attraction of that. Yes, I can say.
Speaker 6: Actually, as the clocks went back this weekend and today's the first working day where the sun went down at hlpas four, I'm more than ready to move to Kenya.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, I'd be happy to come and visit. So there are all sorts of reasons and there, and their frequently individual reasons, depending on people's lives and what they're up to and who they're doing doing it with and all that sort of all that sort of thing. But does it leave I mean, does it let me ask you this, does it leave a state or an atmosphere of uncertainty in a lot of people's minds.
Speaker 6: Yes, I think very very much so. I mean, I mean, i'd say getting sick of London in particular is nothing new. I mean, there's a reason why so many people who work in London often end up having a family and settling down outside London, you know, you know, near London and places like Surrey or Oxfordshire and then commute to London. And that's even more so now with remote working. And you know, you just have to tell by the number of English people or British people in New Zealand, how how long you know, how that's always been a thing. But I think there is a huge sense of uncertainty here at the moment. I mean an enormous amount amount will depend on how this government goes over the next five years, and I think most people aren't enormously hopeful. You know, the reason labor one more than anything else, was a vote against the Conservatives and the kind of fiasco of Liz Trust and the partying and downing Street during during COVID, and the anger that many people still have towards peace, like Boris Johnson because of that. But you know, there's not a great kind of economic vision of the current Labor government, or of really anyone in the UK, I mean, even the two people who are now vying to be the Conservative Party leader, which will be announced I think next week. You know, I'm much keener to talk about issues like wokeism than actual economic policy that the country desperately needs.
Speaker 3: I mean, you can have a.
Speaker 6: Conversation about how important it is to talk about workism as well, but the lack of economic discussion is frustrating, and I think most people don't really see the positive path through. I mean, I would say, you know, looking historically, the UK has always ebbed and flowed, you know, since since the war and since before, you know, basically since the end of the First World War, the UK has always ebbed and flowed. And it will come again and I'm sure will be a kind of easier place to live than it is now. And it's not all doom and gloom, and as I kind of said earlier, that there's a national sentiment of doom and gloom.
Speaker 3: It's a national pastime.
Speaker 6: But I think that most people don't have a huge amount of faith that things are going to be particularly good for a while now. In saying that, if you're a New Zealander thinking about moving to the UK, it's still a fantastic place to be and it's all contextual. You know, if you want to come over here and come for a great job or an opportunity to travel or try someone new, that's still there and there's nothing stopping you doing that.
Speaker 3: Do Kiwi's for instance at Australians. Do they get paid less? And I'm thinking of people like lawyers, seeing that that seems to run in the family and the family of a few friends and doctors if you want, or any group that you're familiar with. Do they get paid less than the UK or in New Zealand? No, less than less than somebody of equivalent status in the UK.
Speaker 6: Lawyers get paid significantly more in the UK. I mean I'm talking no, but yeah, but I mean, for a key we to go to London and apply for a job, would they expect or would they get offered the job for a lower rate than what a local would. I haven't really. Well, again, it depends on the situation, you know. I know people who have come over here and now work at really really top law firms and they get paid the same. There's there's kind of a unity of pay depending on your experience over here in most places. I do also know of people who have come and struggled more to find a job and perhaps ended up working as a contractor for a long period of time, and that mean they don't necessarily get paid as well. I haven't heard any circumstance where where kiwis are being paid less because they're not from the UK. In terms of being a doctor, I mean, there are so few New Zealand. The UK kind of shoots itself in the foot by making it so difficult for doctors from places like Australia and New Zealand and other English speaking countries to come to the UK, by making it, you know, having really intense kind of requalifying exams that people have to sit, it's very rare for doctors to come over here. It does happen, but generally speaking, doctors get paid much worse in the UK than they do in New Zealand, and particularly compared to Australia. But again I haven't heard of any you know, having to be paid worse than your kind of local colleagues.
Speaker 3: I'm just running whether I mentioned something and I will. I know. I know of a doctor, young doctor who has made such headway in life that he, after working doing the rounds here at various hospitals and in Australia, ended up in London, still young, and was at a specialty hospital for a year. Upon that contract expiring, he and he and his wife wanted to move back to New Zealand, and they did, but before they came, they were offered, he was offered an amazing contract that would not be matched here. But they they they had plans for what they wanted to do here and that was that. I thought staying on there for another couple of years would have been well worth well worthwhile. But you know it, like we say, it depends on the individuals.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's not an uncommon thing I know amongst people here to want to move back to New Zealand. If you've been here a while and decide you want to have a family and you know now at the time, I think, generally speaking, the kind of quality of life, particularly for kids. I mean, I don't have kids, so it's hard to say. I'm not ingratiating how the school system works, but generally speaking, it sounds like it's a lot better, particularly if you're living in London. I mean, I mean, it's better in New Zealand.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 6: You know, London's a big city. There's but plenty of crime. I mean, it's.
Speaker 3: It's it's.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well perhaps that's true, but I think you know, there's sort of you know, you've got better access to the beach, to mountain hiking and mountain biking and whatever else you want to do. Outside of New Zealand, there's less pressure on kids. I think the kind of kids that people seem to say generally happier, Well, don't take that out if you can. I don't know if that's true, but there is definitely a sentiment among people that I know that they want to move home when they have a family.
Speaker 3: I want to wind up on back on education and politics, the politics involved, because there is Jonathan Turley, the law professor from Washington who just wrote a very good book on the importance of free speech, the indispensable right free speech in an age of rage. It's good book, I've got it, and he refers to a new survey of more than a thousand professors showing that seventy eight percent will vote for Harris and only eight percent will vote for Trump. Other than a poll of the Democratic National Committee, there are few groups that are more reliably democratic or liberal For anyone in higher education, the result is hardly surprising. The poll tracks what we already know about the gradual purging of departments around the country of conservative, libertarian and dissenting professors purging. It's a very ugly scenario as far as education is concerned. Is there an equivalent situation in Britain.
Speaker 6: It's a difficult question. My gut would be to say no. I mean, I think that you'd be kidding yourself if you didn't think that the majority of kind of higher education teachers in the UK are not left leaning as in most Western countries. I have I know people who went to university at in the US who were somewhat taken aback at and these are people who are I would probably describe as left wing myself, but they were. They were quite taken aback at how how little room there was in some places for a discussion outside of you know, for kind of wanting to be conservative or anything like that, not that they were trying to be in that time. But in the UK, I mean I think that, I mean, there are plenty of sort of high profile right leaning academics in the UK, and I don't think that it is as big an issue here is in the US. And I think that's the case about lots of things in countries like New Zealand and the UK and Australia, where you know, we see US issues and kind of transfer them over to our countries without necessarily giving value to context. But I would say that there's more of it. Ironically, in many ways, there's more of an animosity, I think, towards the Conservative Party than conservativism conservatism, So.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't, you know, pretty stupid people running the show. And I think, you know, there's a certain anger amongst many young people at a lot of the things that have done. I mean, in particul the bricks that I think, you know, you can have your own views on bricks no matter what. But I think something that's.
Speaker 6: Often lost in kind of international discussion is that if you're a young person over here, speaking of let's say, moving to Portugal before bricks, you could move to any country in Europe without a visa and living there for the rest of your life, no problem. Now you need countries like Portugal to offer you a digital nomad type situation to do that. But anyway, I'm getting off track.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 6: In terms of university education, no, I don't think there is an equivalent of that. I think like many institutions, you know, mostly young people tend to be left wing, but I don't think there's that sort of animosity there. But you know, I haven't been in higher in tertiary education for a number of years now, That's what I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I said that to wind up. But there is one other thing I just want to hit you with without warning. The power supply in Britain. I'm not entirely sure about how reliable it is, but I wonder, I wonder if there is an issue with power supply, the cost of it in particular, and whether or not there's a much greater move to move.
Speaker 6: To nuclear Yeah, a very interesting question and debate that's going on in the country at the moment, I obviously no. New Zealand's going through plenty of issues with that right now. There were massive energy will increases over here in twenty twenty two and twenty twenty three. The government kind of ended up stepping in and subsidizing a lot because it was just becoming astronomical. In a similar way as I know that it's an issue in the US election at the moment that was largely driven by the war in Ukraine and sanctions on Russia and kind of resulting issues with oil and natural gas coming from Eastern Europe. There is a debate about increasing nuclear power plants. With the number of nuclear power plants over here, I'm not sure exactly where that is at the moment. It's sort of on the new governments to do list. They have increased the planning for onshore wind farms in the UK that's seen as a huge future source of power. It's it has become less of a discussion topic this year than it was last year or year before, but long term, like many countries, it's a serious issue all right now.
Speaker 3: The very last question, what's the opinion of Jacinda Adiran in written now, I think still fairly positive.
Speaker 6: I think people over here would generally a bit flummixed with her stepping down and then Labour's subsequent loss in the election. But I also think that people don't give Justina are doing that much thought over here? What about what about oh sorry, expats?
Speaker 3: Not much.
Speaker 6: I'd say mixed, I think, I mean, I doubt it's moved on much since last year's election, but you know, there's still a fair amount of resentment after COVID amongst some people. I think there's some disappointment at how her premiership played out. But I also think there's lots of people who are frustrated that she stood down and that Labor was voted out. So I'd say the opinion is mixed. But I think memories will be long for people who felt jaded after what happened during COVID and being locked out of the country. But you know, I mean, my personal opinion is, you know, as we may have said last year, I think it was will be the right thing at the right time.
Speaker 3: But I was lucky I didn't have to come home, and you were lucky about that too, all right, it has been a pleasure to talk with you anytime, anytime, anytime, all right. I'll keep it in mind, so thank you and we'll talk soon. Enter the mail room for two sixty two and if you'd like to write to us latent at NEWSTALKSIB dot co dot Nz or Carolyn at NEWSTALKSIB dot co dot Nz. So Carolyn aka missus producer.
Speaker 7: How are you later?
Speaker 4: I'm very good good. In fact, I'm feeling extra good and you look extra good. Go for it.
Speaker 5: Late.
Speaker 7: In this from Jin judge Anthony Willie reminded us that we live in an age where highly complacent humanity is willingly tyrannized by increasingly self righteous totalitarians. Just recently, the wicked leftist Australian government has canceled Candice Owen's visa in the hopes of wiping out her shows, which have been selling extremely well across Sidney, Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane and Adelaide. Now Immigration New Zealand is quote assessing her visa. I've paid for front row tickets to Candice Owen's show in New Zealand, so I'll be utterly ticked off if Immigration New Zealand makes the same idiot decision Immigration Australia made in desperate times like these, where our freedoms are being choked to a slow death by these modern day Nazis. I find that laughter helps. I recently discovered one of the best stand up comedians of our times, stand up comedian Donald J. Trump, delivered one comedic zinger after another at the Al Smith Memorial Foundation dinner. On a more serious note, Tucker Carlson gave one of the most powerful speeches I've heard in history. Donald Trump's victory will be a triumph of the human spirit. It will be a triumph of Americans over the machine that seek to oppress them. It will be a middle finger wagging in the face of the worst people in the English speaking world who are leaders. It will be a moral victory the size of which I never thought I would live to see. And as essential, it's so important that it happens. And Jen goes on to say, maybe that is exactly what an insane humanity needs. The sane comedy of a Donald Trump presidency that makes fun of the idiots. May Trump outlaugh Carris Hackle to become the forty seventh President of the United States, because the world needs to laugh again.
Speaker 3: Yes it does. Layton, regarding your prediction of a Trump victory, in the US presidential election. On paper, Trump should be a shoe in, but the Deep State cannot be allowed cannot allow that to happen. Trump was purposely denied victory in twenty twenty by the unelected Deep State stooges, the Three letter agencies, and the complicit legacy media, all conspiring to commit the most outrageous election fraud ever witnessed. All the swing states shut up shop and supposedly stopped counting votes late in the evening of election Day twenty twenty, with Trump leading comfortably. Then in the middle of the night, massive amounts of votes all for Biden, suddenly had Trump trailing. For anybody who doesn't know that or isn't sure of it, it's true. The Deep State got away with this massive fraud in twenty twenty, thus were able to install corrupt puppet Biden as president, having miraculously received eighty one million votes after campaigning from his basement, along with his totally clueless sidekick Harris as vice president. I said much of this in last week's podcast. I think from memory the military industrial complex could breathe a sigh of relief after a four year hiatus and get back to the business of laundering money to politicians from the profits of the billions of dollars worth of ammunition and weapon sales approved by Congress to fund their endless wars. It is patently obvious that the Deep State will be attempting all nefarious means to stop Trump from becoming president again. They have already carried out numerous cases of law fare with the intent of putting him in jail. There have been two known assassination attempts on Trump in recent months. One avenue that the Democrats are taking this time is to steal the election by bastardizing the overseas voter system. They have been actively advertising on YouTube that US citizens can vote in the election from anywhere in the world. I'm not sure they don't do that anyway every year, but I'd stand corrected if necessary. The problem is there is no way of telling whether a person voting has US citizenship, as there is no requirement to provide ID or even a Social Security number, no requirement to have ever lived in the state you wish your vote to be counted, in which the Democrats hope to overwhelm the legitimate vote in swing states with these unverified citizens emailing their votes from overseas. The Democrats have already telegraphed their moves by stating that votes could take days or weeks after the US election day to fully count due to the expected influx of these highly dubious overseas votes. Same playbook as twenty twenty. Just keep manufacturing more Democrat votes after election day until they have surpassed the Republican vote. Needless to say, if the Democrats can't rig enough votes in their favor, It'll be left to the deep State to swart Trump's bid for the presidency, and that very likely will involve violence. As for Trump's competition in the race to the White House, Miss Cabbage Brain, I recommend watching Candace Owen's recent YouTube podcast where she delves into the bloodlines of the present Vice president. In recent months, Carmala Harris has been attempting to blackify her heritage in some perverted attempt to appeal to black voters. Harris has even falsely claimed in her autobiography that a photo of her standing next to a dark skinned house servant was a grandmother, when in reality evidence says her grandmother was very fa skin. Well, as you never forgets you would have had two. Cantice Owens over several recent podcasts, says come to the conclusion that Harris is Indian Irish. Owen's also interview judge Joe Brown this week over two hours long, but the judge knows his stuff and well worth watching. From David. There's a few claims in there that given more time, if David were on the phone, I discussed with him, but overall it's difficult to say that anything is straight out FB. Is that putting it delicately enough? Misproducer?
Speaker 7: I thank you.
Speaker 3: You have a.
Speaker 7: Disturbanced on the head of quite nicely right good?
Speaker 3: You had a disturbed look on your face.
Speaker 7: Ladon Craig says, I did hear a couple of responses to my email around the COVID passes and that was the email that you read. Was it not about COVID passes being well?
Speaker 3: He manufactured his own.
Speaker 7: I was comfortable circumventing the system when it was established that the job did not prevent transmission, which was actually before any were administered. I did not get an exemption on checking what was required. I visited a few cafes to see how the procedure worked. Most establishments scanned, but a number just viewed. The first pass I manufactured was for establishments that simply viewed the pass that was a computer generated one which was made by a year nine school child. The name and photo were mine. After a few weeks of using this pass, I decided to look at how and if it would be possible to develop a pass that could be scanned. That proved a step too far, so I decided to borrow a friend's pass and see what happened. I didn't think it would work, as the photo on the pass was of a thirty eight year old with dark hair and I am seventy five.
Speaker 4: With gray hair.
Speaker 7: What I found so and what to my amazement, was that when they scanned, they simply listened for the approval sound from the scanner and then simply handed back the carden and I went. Not once was I refused entry. I established as I entered what system was being used.
Speaker 4: Simple.
Speaker 7: I accept that some people may have an issue with my actions. However, I'm very relaxed. As I have already said, I only decided to do what I did when it was established that the JAB did not stop transmission. The draconian responses taken by the Ard Labor government was unacceptable, unethical and outside the bounds of the New Zealand Human Rights Act. Doing what I did also exposed another failure of the COVID response as dictated and implemented by the lying Ard Labor government. And he goes on to say, does Craig thanks for your weekly podcasts in this crazy world. It is great to hear your reasoned thoughts and common sense debates.
Speaker 3: And as to your moments, you can apply the same verbiage. Caroline writes, I've been catching up on your last few podcasts and so enjoying the critical and thoughtful manner in which you explore such landmine topics as vaccines, among others. I plan to share my vaccine story with you in a separate email, but I've just read this article which encapsulates so well I thought the state of public health, both in the US and New Zealand in Brackett. Since New Zealand follows the American model of healthcare and a whole holy Grail of vaccines, we are an increasingly sick population. As the number of vaccines, especially on the childhood immanization schedule, increases, so too does the rate of autism at other chronic diseases, autoimmune conditions, obesity, et cetera. In childhood. For instance, in my childhood, the rate of autism was around one in ten thousand, with only a handful of vaccines gins. Today there are rates of autism as high as one in thirty seven kids, with an exploding rate of shots given according to the childhood schedule from pregnancy up to eighteen. Yet there are still no clinical trials comparing vaccinated with unvaccinated children, except the Amish population in the US, who don't vaccinate their kids and where autism is almost unheard of. I've heard the excuse for this is that the Amish are a genetically different population. Parents are still being gas lit when they ask questions. Worse, they are coerced and manipulated into vaccinating their child in the complete absence of informed consent through a mixture of fear and guilt. Your child could be permanently harmed or die if you don't comply pressed onto them by medical professionals. In raggots these days, I use the term loosely close braggets who themselves are coerced and manipula d by public health officials and medical boards. The loss of career career, job status, and reputation is too much for most to bear, so they don't investigate vaccines other than what the official NOH line is. There are some fundamental questions or parents should ask. Firstly, where are the independent studies comparing vaxed versus unvaxed children? Second, where are the studies which can demonstrate how the different ingredients in different vaccines given together up to six vaccines and a time to my baby are safe and effective? And where are the full list of ingredients of all vaccines on the childhood Immunization schedule. The answer to all the above, of course.
Speaker 4: Is none.
Speaker 3: Parents need to get informed and ask these questions of their medical professional and firmly decline their child being used as a human guinea pig until they're able to give full and informed consent. I hope you enjoy the attached article. Caroline, thank you, and if there is sorry, I should add this. She is a retired pediatric nurse and plunket nurse, a mother of three now adult unvaccinated children, all healthy. By the way, now, if there is any other medical person who wants to comment of your life, Leyton.
Speaker 7: Renton says high Laighton, a periodic listener here, I appreciate your take on things. Thanks so much. I just listened to your interview of Anthony Willie very good. In it, a few references have made to the COVID idea and era what I call the COVID crap. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of clarity about this, even among those who opposed and oppose all the draconian measures justified on the basis of it. Most who took this stand, nevertheless still accept the basic narrative that there is a virus SARS cove two and that this virus causes a disease COVID nineteen. The main difference between those who were for and those who were against the measures was that the former said the virus and disease was deadly and required extraordinary measures to combat, including the removal of constitutionally guaranteed freedoms, whereas the latter said that the virus is not much different to the cold or the flu, and no special measures were required to deal with it. Certainly not the removal of our freedoms. I think the presumption of a virus and the disease it has claimed it caused is a serious error on the part of those who accept the second opinion and severely restricts their ability to oppose the tyranny imposed. They basically share the same view as those they oppose. And then Renton goes on to say, later, and he's produced a little video. He sent you the link, which I'm sure you've got.
Speaker 4: He says.
Speaker 7: His video challenges this presumption, and I think brings clarity to the issue. I commend it to your consideration.
Speaker 4: Pass it over and I'll give it. I'll give it a look, Thank you, thank you. Later.
Speaker 3: We shall see you next week. You will, at least I regime. I'm not sure about next week, to be honest, because well on Wednesday, I'm going to be sitting downstairs glued.
Speaker 7: There may be not podcast because you're you're going to be.
Speaker 3: No, they're going to be podcast. Patrick Besham's coming.
Speaker 4: Along fabulous, And I don't know how. I don't know quite how we're going to structure it at this point, but.
Speaker 3: We're going to a moving feast. It is a moving feast, and it's going to be a damn good one. Thank you, missus, Brittany, Thanks so much, Leighton Smith. Now I have to admit that I'm pushing my deadline. Clock to include this, but that's my fault. There is a war in the US. It is a propaganda war. It's a war that is aided and bettered by technology as much as anything else. A multiplicity of media in all its high tech forms, which lend themselves to deception, sad, wicked, and evil is the order of the day for some at least. Let me give you an example as an introduction, and not from where you think it would be coming. J Badicharia, an ab you probably familiar with, is a medical scientist. He has written on Brownstone the most devastating report so far, the House Report that is, the House of Representative report on HHS COVID propaganda is devastating. The Biden administration spent almost a billion dollars to push falsehoods about COVID vaccines, boosters and masks on the American people. If a farmer company had run the campaign, it would have been fined out of existence. HIHS engaged a pr firm, the Four's March Group, for the propaganda campaign. The main goal was to increase cod COVID vas uptake. The strategy one exaggerate COVID mortality risk. Two downplayed the fact that there was no good evidence that the COVID vax stops transmission. The propaganda campaign extended beyond VAX's uptake and included exaggerating mask efficacy and pushing for social distancing and school closures. Ultimately, since the messaging did not match reality, the campaign collapsed public trust in public health. The pr firm drew most of its faulty science from the CDC's guidance so for Disease Control guidance, which ignored the FDA's findings on the vaccine's limitations FDA being Food and Drug Administration, as well as scientific findings from other countries that contradicted CDC group think. The report details the CDC's mask flip flopping through the years. It's especially infuriating to recall the CDC's weird, anti scientific, anti human focus on masking toddlers with cloth masks in twenty twenty two. President Biden's COVID advisor waited until December twenty twenty two, right after leaving government service, to tell the country that there is no study in the world that shows that masks worked that well. What took him so long? The propaganda campaign hired celebrities and influences to persuade children to get the COVID vacks. I think if a celebrity is paid to advertise a faulty product, that celebrity should be partially liable for if the product harms the people. In the absence of evidence, the propaganda campaign ran ads telling parents that the vaccine would prevent their kids from getting long COVID. With a collapse in public trust in the CDC, parents have begun to question all CDC advice. Predictably, the HHS propaganda campaign has led to a decline in the uptake of routine childhood vaccines. That would please some people. But so that's an example from a different field from politics. But basically you can say that it's all politics one way or the other. Now, the core of my point has been contributed to by the owner of the Washington Post. Now, I've been critical of the Washington Post time and time and time again. I've said things like, let's be inclusive here. I've said things like, if you're getting your information from the Washington Post or the New York Times, don't believe it until it's verified by more than one other at least one other source. Why, because they are not to be trusted and if you wanted, if you wanted, now the evidence for my approach to this for some considerable time, it's been delivered by the best person that could possibly be. I mean, I can refer to mak Levin's books on the met there and on the Democrat Party and other things, but this actually takes the cake, and you probably are aware of it by now. In what is likely even more harrowing for the co op editors at the Washington Post, Jeff Bezos, its owner, has just penned an explainer for his decision to not allow the Liberal Rag to endorse Kamala. We present the opinion piece here in full. This is shocking levels of honesty, the hard truth. Americans don't trust the news media. The credibility gap can be bridged by independence. In the annual public surveys about trust and reputation, journalists in the media have regularly fallen near the very bottom, often just above Congress. But in this year's galluphole, we have managed to fall below Congress. Our profession is now the least trusted of all that is journalism mainstream. Something we are doing is clearly not working. Let me give an analogy voting machines must must meet two requirements. They must count the vote accurately, and people must believe they count the vote accurately. The second requirement is distinct from and just as important as the first. Likewise, with newspapers, we must be accurate, and we must be believed to be accurate. It's a bitter pill to swallow, but we are failing on the second requirement. Most people believe the media is biased. Anyone who doesn't see this is paying scant attention to reality, and those who fight reality lose. Reality is an undefeated champion. It would be easy to blame others for our long and continuing fall incredibility and therefore decline in impact, but a victim mentality will not help. Complaining is not a strategy. We must work harder to control what we can control to increase our credibility. Writing this for the staff of the Washington Post, presidential endorsements do nothing to tip the scales of an election. I'm not going to go into that. It's been done elsewhere, including on radio. I don't know how much of it, though, has been expressed, he writes. Secondly, I would also like to be clear that no quid pro quo of any kind is at work here. Neither campaign nor candidate was consulted or informed at any level or in any way about this decision. It was made entirely internally. Dave Limp, the chief executive of one of my company's blue origin, met with former President Donald Trump on the day of our announcement. I sighed when I found out, because I knew it would provide ammunition to those who would like to frame this as anything other than a principal decision. But the fact is I didn't know about the meeting beforehand. Even Limp didn't know about it and advance The meeting was scheduled quickly that morning. There is no connection between it and our decision on presidential endorsements, and any suggestion otherwise is false. You can see my wealth and business interests as a bulwark against intimate or if you can see them as a web of or you can see them as a web of conflicting interests. Only my own principles can tip the balance from one to the other. I assure you my views here are in fact principled, and I believe my tracker are good. As owner of the post since twenty thirteen, backs this up. You are, of course free to make your own determination, but I challenge you to find one instance in those eleven years where I have prevailed upon anyone at the Post in favor of my own interests. It has not happened. Lack of credibility isn't unique to the Post. Our brethren newspapers have the same issue, and it's a problem not only for media, but also for the nation. Many people are turning to off the cuff podcasts, inaccurate social media posts, and other unverified new sources, which can quickly spread misinformation and deepened divisions. The Washington Post and The New York Times win prizes, but increasingly we talk only to TI do a certain elite. More and more we talk to ourselves in brackets. He writes. It wasn't always this way. In the nineteen nineties, we achieved eighty percent household penetration in the DC metro area. While I do not wish to push my personal interest, I will also not allow this paper to stay on autopilot and fade into irrelevance, overtaken by unresearched podcasts and social media barbs, not without a fight. It's too important. The stakes are too high. Now more than ever, the world needs a credible, trusted, independent voice, and we're better for that voice to originate than the capital city of the most important country in the world. Are more. There's more writing, more details, but you get the picture. The Washington Post has been recognized by its owner as being not just unreliable, but misleading and lying. And they have been whther or not this makes a difference, and how much of a difference it makes, because the staff are very upset. Then we have to wait and see. But you get the point. The verification has been made, by the way, if I didn't mention it. The title of the article published on zero Hedge after colossal exodus of subscribers Washington Post, Bars Bezas explains the hard truth about not endorsing Karmada. I may have mentioned that at the beginning, I don't recall. According to two sources within the paper and familiar with the subscriber exodus, over two hundred thousand digital subscription cancelations had occurred by Monday afternoon of this week. Not all cancelations take effect immediately. Still, the figure represents about eight percent of the paper's paid circulation of two point five million and it's still spreading apparently, so you can see why the new nervousness. Whether he was spooked into doing that or had it on his mind anyway because he was uncomfortable with the falsehoods that emanated from that address, I don't know. And while there are many, many, many examples of what's going on, I would imagine that many of you, most maybe hopefully are aware of it and have been keeping track of it. But let me conclude this podcast with something I mentioned earlier I think in the interview that is the thin blue line university professors are approaching near unanimity as a democratic lock and written by Jonathan Turley. You'll find it at Jonathan Turley tu l Ey dot org Jonathan Turley dot org. He says, below is my column in The Hill on the recent poll of university professors in this election speaks volumes about the composition of higher education today. Here is the column. The twenty twenty four presidential election is shaping up to be the single most divisive election in our history. The public is split right down the middle, with almost every group splintering between former President Donald Trump and Vice President Carmala Harris. There is, however, one group that seems almost unanimous professors. A new survey of more than one thousand professors shows that seventy eight percent will vote for Harrison, only eight percent will vote for Trump. For anyone in higher education, the result is hardly surprising. The poll tracks what we already know about the gradual purging of departments around the country of conservative, libertarian, and dissenting professors. Indeed, the lack of political and intellectual diversity may be turning some donors and even applicants from higher education. With failing revenue at applications, universities are starting to re embrace commitments to neutrality on political issues. Some, however, are doubling down on advocacy and orthodoxy. It is an example. In an op ed this week, Wesleyan University president Michael Ross called on universities to reject institutional neutrality and officially support Carmela Harris, calling neutrality a retreat cowardly if you want, if you are another word, Ross compared Trump's election to the rise of the Nazis and insisted that schools should give up the popular pastime of criticizing the woke and call out instead the overt racism. He added, without a hint of self awareness or irony, that we should not be silenced because of fears of appearing partisan. In my book, writes Turny, the indispensable right free speech in an Age of Rage, I discussed the intolerance in higher education and surveys showing that many departments no longer have a single Republican as faculties replicate their own views and values. So not only are professors voting on mass for Harris, Roth would have the schools themselves work openly for her election. That ideological echo chamber is hardly an denticement for many who are facing rising high tuition costs with relatively little hope of being taught by faculty with opposing views. There are obviously many reasons why faculty may reject Trump specifically, but this poll also tracks more generally the self identification and contributions of faculty. A Georgetown University study recently found that only nine percent of law school professors identify as conservative at the top fifty law schools, al most identical to the percentage of Trump voters found in the new poll. Notably, Roth acknowledged that the current lack of intellectual diversity in higher education has become so extreme that there might be a need for an affirmative action program for conservatives. Stop there, because I want to throw in something else that came into my possession by being sent to me. It's an opinion piece from the Sydney Morning Herald on the twenty sixth of October, headed Trump's Garden Party echoes America's Nazi Moment by Bruce wolp Wlpe if you give you his credentials is a senior fellow at the University of Sydney's United States Studies Center. He served on Democratic staff with the US Congress and as chief of staff for former Prime Minister Julia Gillard. It's a hit piece on Trump of the ugliest and most untruthful kind. It is littered with falsehoods and lies. He likens the Trump rally at Madison Square Garden to the Nazi rally that was there in nineteen thirty nine, comparison that's been made by almost every Democrat in the last couple of weeks. It's built up and they think now they've got momentum, but it's about the only thing that they have to run with. Calling Trump a Nazi and expanding on it obestly. He repeats the lies that are attributed to the Joint Chiefs of Staff a million particular, who refused to deploy the army forces to put down demonstrations in cities across America in the wake of the murder by police of George Floyd. We all know that story. No one has ever been as dangerous to this country as Donald Trump. Billy told Bob Woodwood for his new book War. Now I realize he's a total fascist. He's the most dangerous person in this country. Well, Milly hates Trump with a vengeance because Trump called him out. There is no truth to the claim that Trump is a fascist, no evidence for it whatsoever. There are lies that have been told about comments that Trump made about Hitler's henchmen, but they have been disowned by other people who were president at the times. Had never happened, never happened. It is an ugly, ugly campaign and I can only say, may the best man win, And as there is only one man and only one best of anything of either, that's Trump. It's fascinating to see the people who have who have changed sides, and we've picked those names up over the over the over the course of the last few months who've changed sides, people who have been Democrats in the past and realized that the Democrats are the major issue and gone to join the ranks of the Republicans one way or the other. And the next time we podcast it'll be election day, and I can't wait for it because the role. I know what the result is and I've mentioned it, mentioned it last week. Trump will we and I'm thinking landslide. I really don't think it's going to be as close as some people are suggesting or have been, in spite of what some polls might be saying. At that point, I'm going to say, if you'd like to write to us Layton at ustorksb dot co dot nz, well Carolyn at ustorksb dot co dot nz, send you nice comments to me and the complaints to her, and we shall return for podcasts two hundred and sixty three next week Huge Day. Until then, there's always thank you for listening, and we'll talk soon.
Speaker 1: Thank you for more from us Talks B. Listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go. With our podcasts on iHeartRadio