Speaker 1: Welcome to Shared Lunch, brought to you by chairs Eas at Chareza's are on a mission to create financial empowerment for everyone. I'm Sonya Williams, Coco and co founder at chairs EA's, and today we are diving into the business of travel. Talking to CEO of Webjet Group, Katrina Barry.
Speaker 2: Travel as a percentage of discretionary spend is that its highest ever percentage of all time.
Speaker 1: To talk about the future of Webjet and the future.
Speaker 2: Of travel, Generation Y, Generation Z they will plan and tire trips off TikTok. I think we use AI very well. As you say, do you build it, buy it or borrow it? Now it's built it by borrow.
Speaker 3: Or bot it.
Speaker 1: Webjet has also been in the spotlight lately following its recent takeover. Bit Before we get started, there's important information you should always consider.
Speaker 4: Investing involves the risk you might lose the money you start with. We recommend talking to a licensed financial advisor. We also recommend reading product disclosure documents before deciding to invest. Everything you're about to see and hear is current at the time of recording.
Speaker 1: We'd like to acknowledge the gadagaul people of the or nation where we're recording from today and pay respects to elders past and present. Welcome Katrina, Hello son, You're lovely to be here, Lovely to have you back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, it's been a while.
Speaker 1: I know, And so we spoke last September and was just going through the d merger. What's been happening since then?
Speaker 3: Oh, well, I haven't been bored, let me tell you that.
Speaker 2: So on the first of October we got the final sign through of the merger and I guess what we've been up to as a team since then is we decided to take a big, hard, honest, clear.
Speaker 3: Eyed look at ourselves.
Speaker 2: So we did a big strategy piece working through I guess where is everything going and travel with everything going in tech agentic AI, where is it all leading us to? So that included a lot of numerical stuff but also really exciting brand research and coming off the back of that, we've laid out our plan now. So now we have a very clear and robust strategy to double our ttv SO from one point six to three point two billion over the next five years.
Speaker 1: And last time we talked about I mean, you're from an amazing retail background. We talked about the brand maybe getting a bit of a glow up. How's that eventuated?
Speaker 3: So look is going really well. So we did the brand research.
Speaker 2: We spoke about three and a half thousand Strands and Kiwis and you know, wanted to get their take on the entire travel landscape from not just our brand, but all of our competitive brands. And we looked into and you know, really went deep on the data and their preferences in their thinking on each of those three and a half thousand customers their last three transaction. So that's a big body of data and understanding of the industry. So we took that the keiso what's from us?
Speaker 3: For us?
Speaker 2: From that was seventy three percent of strands and Keywi's no and love and trust Webjet. So I think that was our hypothesis, but it's great to have that confirmed. And they said to us, you know, key insights such as you know what I know you guys for flights. I didn't realize you did other stuff, but it'd be great if I could do all of my travel planning with you. So that's led to a corporal of our strategy in terms of us really starting to re emphasize our solutions around hotels, around stays, around tours and packages, et cetera that we're now sort of leaning into. So it was really a deep piece of work. Off the back of that, it's also informed the aesthetic, so the look and the feel and how that translates into user experience. So the glow ups coming along very nicely and we're really looking forward to launching that to the Aussie and Keywi public and the second half of this year.
Speaker 1: Any kind of hints at what that might be taking shape into or the Zene the secrets.
Speaker 2: The thing that came back to us really strongly was this is the brand that Astraans and New Zealanders resonate with and they trust it. And what we don't want to change that, don't want to revolutionize it.
Speaker 3: It's about evolution.
Speaker 2: So I think the key thing is just spanking it really fresh, contemporary and irrelevant and that's what you'll see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you've also had some interesting stuff happen that has been in the headlines with BGH Capital recently trying to make a takeover bid. What can you tell us about this?
Speaker 2: Sure, Well, there's not much I can I can share with you, To be honest, you know, with subject to Act disclosures on this, but what I can tell you is, you know.
Speaker 3: I think this is not unexpected in my view.
Speaker 2: I think people are waking up to what ourselves at Webjet and our board have known for a long time, which is this this stock w j L is training at a significant discount to its potential and to the fact that it prints off a very very strong IBIDA every year. We just closed out our annual results and.
Speaker 3: We delivered.
Speaker 2: EBITDA for the whole group of thirty nine point four million dollars with no debt and a very strong balance shed one hundred and eighteen million dollars. So I think people are looking at that. They see a consistent business that you know, princes of Ebida every year, that is the leader in online travel space. And I think they're going to see what we think, which is a significant potential in this business and we're only just getting started. The point of the merger was to allow the former Webjet Limited business to split into a B to B division and a B two C division, and the objective of that was to allow both businesses to focus on their unique customers and challenges. And this is a business that you only have to believe in two things if you think it's it's got the right to win. The first one is do you think people are going to continue to travel? I think there's an obvious answer to that. For Austraands in New Zealanders, we are intrepid folk and we're always going to go and see the world. And the next piece you need to believe is do you believe that every retail category is going to continue to go online and that tech and AI is going to enable that. You know, for me, I'm being focused most of my career on e commerce, so I believe that's a strong yes to that. We're significantly underpenetrated for the sale of travel online in Australia New Zealand than we are overseas, so there's a nice little tail in there.
Speaker 3: That we've got in built growth to go.
Speaker 2: So I think what the market is doing is realizing business with significant potential. The fundamentals are there in terms of this is a well known brand, strong awareness, strong trust. This category, like most retail categories, is going to continue to grow online. So it's got a very nice set of sundamentals and I think that's why we're getting a bit of attention.
Speaker 1: And speaking of that attention, Hello World, which aren't they competed of yours have bought a steak and Webjet group.
Speaker 2: You know, the travel industry is famous for understanding travel and value amongst its peer group, and Hello World is you know one of our competitors. There are bricks and mortar or a storefront form of distributing travel. We're an online one, so I'm sure they see us as a competitor, but I also think, like most businesses, we may be an interesting investment.
Speaker 1: So you're competing with travel agents. Why would someone choose webjet over a travel agent?
Speaker 2: Well, webjet is a travel agent. We're just an online travel agent. And I think where people are going to is why would I drive for twelve kilometers and then find a park, and then wander through the moor to find that store, and then the queue whilst there's no one available, and then wait for a twenty two year old to give my life savings for for this big trip that I want to do.
Speaker 3: I don't see.
Speaker 2: Why anyone should be doing that, Like we should all be able to do this beautifully online in our track your decks, sitting on our couch and curate that and all be delivered to you automatically within five minutes rather than sitting there waiting.
Speaker 3: For two hours for it to be curated.
Speaker 1: So the way that.
Speaker 2: Technology is going, in the way that AI is being used within that, it's just going to be the most easiest thing to do it with your thumbs sitting on your couch.
Speaker 1: So let's chat about travel. It was one of the beliefs that people are going to continue to travel. How are you saying that at the moment. What are the trends happening in travel?
Speaker 2: So it's proven to be very resilient even in this environment where there's such a strong cost of living crisis that's continuing amongst you know, both Australia and New Zealand in terms of their domestic economies, and the macroeconomy certainly isn't helping. I think the entire market is seeing a bit of softening around retail and travels. You know, we're not immune, and I think that's really starting to come through since January this year.
Speaker 3: But what I like, what.
Speaker 2: I can you know, what amazes me and when I think about is when you look at the ABS stats in terms of another people returning from outbound if you will, or international trips. You know, that figure is still really really strong. It might be softening a bit, but travel as a percentage of discretionary spend is that its highest ever percentage of all time. So you know, that's a fascinating thing if you think about it, given we're in a cost of living crisis. That says to me, culturally, it's one of those shifts that's come out of COVID. You know the old saying, you know, if it you always want some what you can't have. I think that's how people are thinking about travel now. These are experiences, This is joy and they got taken away from you and so people want to really really hold on too that, you know, same as I think working from home is. You know, it's an end built change. Now it's a cultural change that was seeing come out of COVID. I think prioriti travel and travel experiences is a similar long term change.
Speaker 1: How do you see I guess social tourism, how does that impact with jet and travel and how do you how do you leverage that or do you leverage that?
Speaker 2: I think different generations get their inspiration, you know what I call content from different sort of places and Generation Y and Generation Z you know who. They will plan entire trips off TikTok. They will they will plan their weather, going their hotels and obviously the food most important. Uh you know, they'll plan all of that off TikTok. So I think, you know, social commerce, if.
Speaker 3: You will, is here to stay.
Speaker 2: You know, it's really quite interesting our customers go across all the generations. When I imaginally originally moved into the role about a year ago, I was like, Oh, surely it's more mature. We're quite even across all the age demographics. But like every business, you need to be continuing to grow that that those younger generations. So I see our role as connecting with content providers social media and different ways to you know, to interact with our customers across social media, and that's our role, be there when they're ready to execute.
Speaker 1: Do you use influences as part of your strategy?
Speaker 2: No, we haven't really, and it's again it's another area that I think we will be investigating more and more in the future. We've been highly transactional and I think we need to move to be more relational, and that's what our brand research told us. People know and they love and they trust web jets. So whilst we're an online business and everything we do is transacting online, we have twenty four seven servicing, We have that that that voice or you know, email chat, whatever you want to do at the end of at the end of the line when you get into trouble. And that's so much better than something that's faceless and.
Speaker 3: That you don't know or you know, somebody who's booked it for you that you can't.
Speaker 2: Get hold of because they've got weekends, you know, online we don't have weekends.
Speaker 3: We're always online.
Speaker 1: How about competition, So globally you've got Booking dot Com, Expedia. How does WE'BJE stand out from the global competition.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Sure, So with the global competition, most of the big behemoths, so Booking dot Com and Expedia et cetera, they will start out at hotel sites and they're doing very much for our sturategy is too, which is selling across the cell you know, the whole travel funnel now, so and that is very much what we're we're trying to do as well. The only difference is I don't have over five billion dollars marketing budget and Tina fey, although I would like to consider myself hilarious and maybe I'll step into our own ad, but I don't think the marketing partner is going to let that happen. But we're not trying to be Booking dot Com or Expedia. We're not trying to be a big global business. We are homegrown, twenty seven nearly years young, and we are preferred for a large section Australian as Ylanders who want to be able to transact their travel all in one spot and know that they've got Osie your Ki business at the backup of that, you know, with servicing in our time zone twenty four to seven. So I think that's you know where we want to play. That said, though allegedly there is a Tina Faith who lives in Adelaide. If you're listening, please contact me because we can't afford the other one, but we might be able to afford you.
Speaker 1: Last time, I think we talked about revenge travel, which is you know what you were talking about before, when you're told you can't do something and then you want to go and do it. So we thought we'd better come with a new term, pleasure. Have you heard of pleasure? Pleasure.
Speaker 3: You know what I've heard about pleasure. I wish I'd spent more of my life focusing on pleasure.
Speaker 2: I was that nerdy did the business trips and just went there and back, you know, to dedicated, and I really think there needs to be more pleasure in life. Yeah, I mean it's a very I think definitely post COVID, a real opportunity and I think with more flexible working mindsets that employeers have, we're seeing a lot of people, you know, book for their work trip and then take a few days either side, or you know, at least a week either side to have a holiday experience. So definitely on the rise. I think, definitely more on the rise coming out of COVID, and a note to self that as an overly dedicated professional women, we should probably put more pleasure in our lives.
Speaker 1: I don't mind a bit of pleasure, which is when you merge business and leisure. Have you seen it dropping off with more people returning to the office.
Speaker 3: Or we haven't really noticed that as a change.
Speaker 2: I mean, business travel is extremely resilient and despite you know, escalating airline pricing around Australia and New Zealand, domestically, business travel is softer, but it's just all very, very resilient.
Speaker 1: So what's next for the travel industry. I think you touched on AI before. I know, last time we caught up, you were talking about how, you know, the multi destination stops it was being you know, you were using some AI to harness optimization there. Do you want to talk about those kinds of trends and what's been going on at Webjet?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Sure, So.
Speaker 2: I think our belief system is that AI is no longer a future trend.
Speaker 3: It is here and it is real.
Speaker 2: And you know, I task my team with Okay, I want you to just think critically of every single thing in this business that we do and see where AI can't help on an operational basis, and I think we use AI very well on that level. A great example is QA or quality assurance. So with all course into agents, you'd have someone you know, logging in and listening to your cause and going, oh, sonya, that was really great.
Speaker 3: I loved it.
Speaker 2: How when you spoke with that customer you said, X, Y and Z next time. I think you can really help them out a little bit more by doing ABC so as a coaching formula. So now we just have AI listen to it processes and summarize it up and send that to the agent.
Speaker 3: So operationally we use it really well.
Speaker 2: Where we're doing lots of thinking right now is how do we take it to that next level? You know, I always used to say do you build it, buy it or borrow it? Now it's built it by borrow or bot it, So you know, really thinking about how we use it within our strategy. And I think how people curate any aspect of their life and any purchasing decision is going to be fully informed by AI in the future. And what AI does need though is brands. So if we can put the bot and the brand together, I think that is really a secure future for businesses that could be dismediated by any amount of sort of AI technology that's being developed right now.
Speaker 1: How are you finding that kind of transition or change as you lead the company?
Speaker 2: Look, I think any transformation is really difficult. Change is difficult. As humans, we don't actually like it. We're naturally creatures of repeat, So change in transformation is really difficult. And I think we're walking along a strong line of transformation and Webjet. You know, we're twenty seven years young, and as part of the broader group, it was a consistent performer that didn't have a heap of investment. Now where we've pulled that out, we've got of its own dedicated board, its own dedicated balance sheet, and you know, some stronger I guess additions coming into the business in terms of transformation, and we're asking a lot of the business and that's to you know, really go on a process of evolution. But you know, please to say my business is you know, really starting to evolve and adapt really really well.
Speaker 1: When you think for the next five years, you know, any other challenges or opportunities impacting your industry.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, one key challenge will be level of competition domestically for airlines. I'll be really interested to see where that evolves to given we've lost Tiger, bondser and Rex in the last you know, a couple of years. So I think that'll be interesting to see how that evolves. And I think AI and how it evolves in terms of how it helps people curate plan book is the sort of key trend that we're really watching. But for us, specifically for Webjit for the next five years, we've outlaid our plan now It's a very clear and robust strategy and now we are one hundred percent focused on executing it.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of other noise, but the most.
Speaker 2: Important thing I have seen in my time in terms of delivering value for your shareholders, whoever they are, is about really focusing on your strategy and just delivering that. So what is what's coming next, Well, there's the relaunch of the brand that'll be some time later in this year. At the same time, we'll relaunch our packages and tours offering. So we're partnering with some great organizations such as Intrepid and a travel corporation to add flights, package and tours together to create a unique content, unique package, so we'll be delivering that. We are looking at developing our own loyalty program to create that real stickiness with our customers, keep them coming back and reward them for doing so. So we're currently very early stages but developing out our loyalty strategy. And I guess the last piece is business travel. We talked about a little bit leisure, business and leisure. We talked a little bit about that before, but we are we learned in our big strategy search last year that we're actually by default a corporate travel advisor. People love webjit for really transparency around fees and transparency around that I'm getting the best price on that flight. And the third thing, they love our mix and match matrix where you can fly up with one airline and fly back with another, getting that on one ticket, and most airlines won't offer that, they won't offer their competition to you, and we put that together for people. So it turns out and smaller than medium sized businesses, they really appreciate that transparency and the ability to deliver great you know, ticket pricing and great travel expenses through.
Speaker 3: To their CFO.
Speaker 2: So we want to We've spoken to a lot of those customers understand what are their two other three three things that they really need to you know, sort of us to become their preferred corporate travel provider or for us to retract other customers in the small to medium sized enterprise area. So we've developed out that strategy and we look forward to sort of launching that as well.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: And so is there anything you know You've obviously got shareholders through the shares these platform, what's one thing you'd like your shareholders to know?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 2: I think I said it at a on stage in an ASEX conference very recently. I think we're the best stock on the AX right now.
Speaker 3: Do you believe in travel? Yes? Do you believe everything's going to go online? Yes?
Speaker 2: And I think we're training at a significant discount to our potential. So that's one thing, And the second thing I'd say is thank you for those who are investing in us. We believe this is you know, this incredible value in this business, and myself and the team look forward to delivering it for you.
Speaker 1: Is there anything we haven't talked about today that you wanted to cover?
Speaker 2: We came out and we announced our dividend policy last week, so really pleased that will be delivering dividends from f I twenty six, will do a special at the half, so that's a pretty exciting. People have been after that for a while. And we'll continue to update in terms of the strategy is going and how we're moving forward and our ambitions to be to capture more of the travel wallet and to move into new customer basis like the business one. So we look forward to updating our shareholders on that journey.
Speaker 1: Do you have a favorite quote or piece of business advice that keeps you going as a leader, or that you really like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think one of them that I've always have in the back of my mind is like, don't take it personally. And where that comes from is a book that a mentor gave me really early on. Now I'm going to get the author's name right, but I think it's Don Miguel Ruiz or something. To look it up, everybody, And it's called the Four Agreements. It's like a bite sized, tiny book and it's just like rules for how to live. And the first one is don't take it personally. So so often you everyone thinks that things are all about them and it's not. The next one is don't make assumptions. So so often people fall into the trap of making assumptions or they assume negative or you know, just don't do those assumptions.
Speaker 3: Be impeccable with your word. How good is that for a rule than life?
Speaker 2: You know, so often today in a world of fake news and mere puffery and say whatever you can, there's no facts anymore. Being impeccable with your word, I think is you know, an old fashioned pillar that I love to subscribe to. And the last one is just do your best. Sounds like your mum's saying something to you. But I think you know, all we can hope for is do your best. So that's a book I give my team. So at the moment, I, you know, always like to have you draw on those four agreements if you will, four agreement with yourself whenever I whenever I need.
Speaker 3: It's like a little pocket full of wisdom.
Speaker 1: Thanks Heep for joining us today, Katrina. You are so welcome, so good to chat a year on or almost a year on indeed, and no shortage of things happening during that year. No, it's all excitement and thanks everyone for tuning in. You can what Shared Lunch on YouTube or any of your favorite podcast apps. Leave a comment about what you'd like to hear about next Catch you next time. A sustrans stands