Speaker 1: You're listening to the Resident build Up podcast with Peter Wolfcamp from News Talk Seat Bay.
Speaker 2: Squeaky Door or Squeaky Floor.
Speaker 1: Get the right advice from Peter Wolfcare, the Resident Builder on news Talk shad Bay.
Speaker 3: The house sizzor even when it's dark, even when the grass is overgrown in the yard, even when a dog.
Speaker 4: Is too old to bar, and when you're sitting at the table trying not to start scissor hole, even when we are bend, even when you're therellone house sizzle hole, even when there's ghost even when you go around from the ones you.
Speaker 2: Love, your moms scream broken pains appearing in.
Speaker 5: Front of the.
Speaker 6: Locals.
Speaker 2: We's when they're going leaving.
Speaker 7: Them, even when will then, even when you're in their lone.
Speaker 8: Well, A very good morning and welcome along to the Resident Builder on Sunday. You're with me, Peter wolf Camp, the Resident Builder, and this is an opportunity to talk all things building and construction. And can I say right now in terms of the I guess the political, the governmental, the regulatory side of things. Announcements are coming thick and fast from the current government around a whole bunch of building issues and even in the last forty eight or so, quite a big story about the maximum size of a granny flat that can be built in the backyard of an existing property has been settled on at around at seventy square meters. There's a lot to unpack it just in that story alone. On top of recent announcements, A couple of days prior to that, Chris Penk did a couple of little videos talking about cowboy builders and what they hope to be able to do around lbps that are not performing particularly well. So that's a whole new topic. Prior to that was announcements about the government sort of having an oversight into the effectiveness the efficiency of building consent authorities basically councils, and how they process building consents. It's been identified that that's often a bit of a source for some delay in terms of getting new houses or renovations done. Is it takes too long to get a building consent, so it's just announcement upon announcement, upon announcement upon announcements. A lot of that is I think really good in the sense that we're moving, but there's quite a lot to it, and there's a bit to unpick and who better to talk to about these things than the Minister himself. So Chris Pink is going to join me on the program after eight o'clock, fairly briefly, because I've said to him, let's just talk about the BCAS and now we'll talk a little bit about this announcement about Cowboy Builders, and then we will actually get him back into the studio in maybe a month's time or so and do some talk back. So he's happy to take your calls in about a month's time, so we'll do that. But today on the program after eight o'clock, the Minister for Building and Construction, Chris Pink, will be on the line and we'll have a bit of a chat about a couple of things, particularly BCAS. Between now and then. Obviously it's an opportunity for you to have your say and to talk about issues that are important to you in terms of construction, renovations, alterations, maybe legislations, maybe product selection. There is a lot to talk about, and of course today we're we're all bouncing around. I woke at my normal time about sort of five o'clock in the morning without the alarm and thought, oh goody, I've got an extra hours sleep. So yes, it is daylight saving or we've moved out of daylight saving back into regular time, so it's eleven minutes after six or coming up eleven minutes after six. We can take your calls right now. So oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number you can text. Of course, that's nine two nine two, And if you'd like to email me, it is Pete at newstalk SDB dot co dot N said so at just after eleven minutes after six on this the sixth day of April. What's on your mind? What are you thinking about? I was down in Tolpool yesterday for the Home and Garden Show. I shot down on Friday in kind of quite miserable conditions to be fair for much of the Upper North Island, so a slow trip tootling along down to Toulpo, stayed overnight, had an event on Friday night, spent quite a bit of time at the Home and Garden Show, which is on at the Great Lake Center still on today. Actually it'll be a much more pleasant day today than it was on Friday. Yesterday was pretty good as well, beautiful sunshine just to completely from when I went to bed, when I woke up and I was staying quite near the lake front. Completely different outset or outlook from the window. So beautiful day in Tolpo yesterday, but an opportunity to talk to a whole bunch of people, whether it was like there was a bunch of exhibitors, a couple of people involved in housing companies, and just being able to have conversations around you know, what does the market look like, what's happening with your clients? Where what are clients wanting. There's a couple of people there involved. I had a bit of time with Ian Chamberlain, who's running a small ishue a reasonably large building company out of Tolpo, and he's involved with New Zealand certified builders as well, so we had quite a good catch up around what client expectations are in terms of are we seeing people moving towards making more informed decisions around building energy efficient homes, building more sustainable homes, looking for air tightness, looking for air quality, thinking about the thermal performance of the home, or are we still seeing people just wanting what we've always had. So that was interesting to talk about changes in legislation, talk about the impact of what's self certification going to look like for the industry, what's going to happen when, as was announced on Friday, potentially you can build seventy square meters. Seventy square meters is not a small building. Some years ago we lived in a little bricantile unit and that was fifty square meters and we lived there for a number of years. So seventy square meters in the without necessarily requiring a building consent is quite a big building with no oversight from council. So that that's a whole topic to unpack with the minister. But I'm going to park that for now and just focus on the topics that we'd agreed to talk about. But like I say, the Minister at Chris Pink wants to come back into the studio, I'd like to come in and have a chat with you. So we're going to do some talk back within a month, I would say, I'll get that sorted out today, right, let's get into it. It's because we're all up and about. It's daylight savings ended, so we're all ahead of our sales by an hour. Our eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call. You can call right now. We've got a couple of interviews to do during the show. Red Climb passed as always, will join us at eight thirty as well, and we've got a bit of a giveaway as well, just quietly, so we'll do that with it at around eight thirty through till nine o'clock this morning. So a very good morning to you. Welcome along to the show. Let's get stuck in anything that you'd like to talk about with regard to building construction regulations, product product selection compliance. It's all on the table. We can talk about it all. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty before the break, A couple of quick texts, Oh, this is a good one from Doug and Taranaki. Hey Pete, is it all right if I get a sparky to run power to an unconsented pole shed? Thanks? Love the show. Not appreciate you calling or texting Doug. Yes, I don't see why you're electrician can't run power obviously. See this is the interesting thing with electricians. Gas fitter is electricians and gas fitter is prenominantly they are self certifying, right, so they need to comply with the regulations, but they then regulate themselves or they have to ensure that their work is compliant so in terms of doing it to code and to the appropriate standards. So yes, they could do it. But for example, if it is going to be run out there, is it going to go overhead, in which case I'm sure there's regulations about that. Is it going to go underground in case then there are definitely regulations around how deep the trench has to be, what type of cable goes into it, whether it needs to be in conduit, etc. Do you put in a sub board into the shed, which is again I'm not a sparky, but I certainly would so I'd run a decent sized mane out there, put a subboard in there, and then whatever wiring has done inside the shed would need to be appropriate, and you'd probably want to put an extra breaker on the board inside the house to ensure that all of that's just on one circuit. But yeah, I mean, look, if you're sparky, your electrician is prepared to do it, and they do it according to their own regulations, then yes, absolutely you can do that. There's no one to go to consent get that done. Basically, I'm moving into a new house before the final inspection, still needs some decks to complete. Is it the contract works insurance will need to modify or to get another policy through our normal insurer. Well, perfect timing for your question, Nick, because I had the opportunity to spend quite a bit of time discussing the sorts of insurances that you need for renovations and new builds with an insurance specialist during the course of the week. And to be fair, I would have thought that moving in before a new house, like you've obviously moved in but you haven't settled, because a developer is effectively not allowed to sell a house without a code of compliance, and you won't have a code of compliance if you haven't had a final inspection. So are you moving in and renting or are you moving in and you've purchased it, but you've purchased a new house from a developer without a code of compliance. Just for clarity, you can buy an existing house. This my understanding. You can buy an existing house if it doesn't have a code of compliance. Let's say it had a consent from a couple of years ago and never got signed off and it didn't get CCC. You can buy that. But developers who are building to sell must have a code of compliance before they sell that property. So I think there might be a little bit more in that question than a peers. We will take a short break. We're going to jump into the calls in just a moment. If you'd like to join us. I'd love to hear from you this morning, as I do every Sunday morning. Eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to court. Might be too early to do a little shout out too. A delightful couple that I met yesterday tootling back from Topo. There's State Highway one north of Topo is closed for repairs or rebuilding, and I did all these detours on my way down, and on the way back I thought, I'm not going to bother with the detours. I'll just do a big loop sort of through a keynot kihi kihi tawamutu o'halpo and round the back of Hamilton, join up sort of a round Frankton there, which was a lovely drive through the countryside to be fair. And as I was going through Halpo, I saw a little store on the side that had electic curiosities or electic antiques I think it's called and thought oh, that sounds like a bit of me. So wanderdon had a mooch around. Fantastic little and I love antique stores, secondhand stores, so they had a mooch around, and on my way out said thank you very much, enjoy the store, and got talking to the owners who were just delightful, I have to say, and we knew some people and da da dah. It was great fun. Anyway. So ohipo. It's on the main road as you go through. Fantastic little store and just the most delightful owners as well. So thanks for your time yesterday. Really enjoyed the store, RIGHTO. Nineteen minutes after six, the lines are open. Let's take a break, then we'll come back. We're into it. Oh eight hundred and eighty teen eighty the number helping.
Speaker 1: You get those di wipe projects done. Right to the resident builder with Beata Wolfcat call us talk zb righty.
Speaker 8: Oh a quick text just before we rip into it morning, Pete, you said no oversight by council. My reaction to that is that's good to get them out of the picture. I've spent over thirty years in the industry as a small player, but I've always found counsel to be heavily bureaucratic and stifling. Many projects I've wanted to do have been ruined or blocked by a myroad of reasons. Thank you, David. And to be fair, I spent a bit of last night reading through a very well informed, very well thought out response to the possibility of sort of seventy square meter granny flats being built without the involvement of council and all of the concerns about that. So I think this is going to be a good little battleground for quite a while for those people in favor and those people deeply concerned about the possibility that you know, significant because seventy square meters is not small, right, and being built without necessarily with all of the responsibility being put onto the individuals involved who might not be completely competent. Possibly, But hey, look, I take your point, and I appreciate you. Call Pete. Good morning to you. Hello, Pink, Hey, now are you very well in yourself?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 6: Wonderful?
Speaker 8: Good?
Speaker 6: Even better after an extra our sleep. Yeah, Peter, I've just moved into a new property just north of Levin and had the opportunity now with a wonderful north facing aspect to put some smaller panels on the roof of this house and viewing this process as an investment in that the one proposal I've had suggests that I should get about ten return on the investment in solar panels, not including a battery at the stage. But I've seen a recent video about longer term problems with the installation process of the panels on various styles of roof in particular tile roofs, where over time there is a very fine line between getting the height right of the bracket in between the tiles and where it's attached to the i'll call it the rafters, and the amount of force that can either crack tiles or leave gaps that will allow water to run by capillary action back up and cause leaks. The particular roof on this house is a metal tile roof, And I'm just wondering, if you've come across this problem, if you have any advice on what I should be asking installers about in terms of what they're going to do in terms of making sure we don't get long term leeks.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Sure, no, really good question and good to have those concerns, because I guess you know, if you're looking at kind of more conventional long run, whether it's a corrugated profile or a trim deck or a trade deck or whatever, where we're kind of used to working with those sorts of profiles. Whereas when you say metal tile, is it a like Gerrard fairly recent? Metal tile is an older dechromastic roof what's the vintage of that?
Speaker 6: It's the vintage is probably about nineteen twenty four, and it's the Sorry, what am I talking about? Two thousand and going to.
Speaker 8: Say nineteen twenty four? I don't think so, but anyway, yeah, yeah, yeah, so it's a bit later than that.
Speaker 6: My apologies, you're not working at the morning yet. Sure, so that should have read two thousand and four. So the house is about one years old?
Speaker 8: Yeah, all right, And so the metal tile profile doesn't have the stone chip embedded in them? No, okay, yep. I guess the challenge for that is if you fix through the pan, which is closest to the baton underneath, then you're also fixing where the water is going to be. Fixing through the rib on the top is depending on exactly the profile, So some of them sort of have the pan and then it rises then there's a little dip and then a crest and then a dip and then it goes down into the next pan. So it's like three ridges in a row with two troughs. Now, that's the strongest part of the tile, the metal profile tile, but it's also very difficult to seal that because you've got those little grooves in it. Look, I think really it's the sort of thing that when the installer comes, you've obviously, I think the great thing is you've identified a real, a genuine issue in terms of how are you going to seal the roof? Right. So again, if we're talking more conventional long run profiles, whether it's corrugated where you've got a smooth transfer between ridge and trough and so on, we know that if we fix through the top and we put an EDPM washer or a neoprene RuSHA underneath the fixings, that will seal the penetration. And because it's on the top border tends to run off. Absolutely, you know that's the thing. Whereas that's not the case. So look, there will be a solution for it, but you've you've got to well, you will ask the right questions and you'll also you know, be. You can judge it for yourself as to whether or not you feel at the person giving you the answer actually really knows what they're talking about.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, So, having been in the aluminium joinery manufacturing and installation business myself some years ago, I'm just wondering if there's any standard that appliers, any best practice that appliers that could be used to say, hey, how are you complying with us?
Speaker 8: It's a very good question actually, look to be fair, I spent quite a bit of time with a solar installer at the home show yesterday in Telpo, and I've got a sort of follow up meeting booked with them sometime in the next couple of weeks. So, but whether or not there is a code of practice or a best practice guide for solar installation, I'm not sure whether there's like a solar installers association, you know, but like roofing Association or something like that. To you, blunt, I'm not sure. I'm sure that each of them have their own sort of you know, standard operating procedures. This is what we do in this roof, this is what we do in another one. Whether there is an agreed code to be fair. I don't know, no one's ever asked me the question, but I'm happy to look into it. Yeah, I need to move on, but just quickly, you talk about a ten percent return, how do you what's the metric for that? How do you determine that?
Speaker 6: Okay, so you're looking at about and I'll just use very rough term figures here, you're looking at about a capital investment of about twenty thousand dollars approximately, and in terms of a return, it is a reduction in your power bill of about two thousand dollars a year kense year return.
Speaker 8: Although you've got the you've got to repay the capital investment.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I think of it more in the way if you buy shares in the share market, you make a capital investment in those shares, and you're looking for an expected return in terms of dividends and capital gain.
Speaker 8: Yeah, fair enough, I get that.
Speaker 6: So again, this is the same sort of point. So it's it does make lot of sense in terms of with you use someone else's money or whether you use your own money. It's still an investment as such. I'll tell you what I'm setting inside the fact.
Speaker 8: What I found really fascinating with the whole soular thing is that you know, I can recall being involved in their installation, let's say fifteen or even twenty years ago, right, And at that point, one of the real issues was that typically it was about seven to ten years before you got your money back on your investment, right, so the savings paid for the investment and thereafter effectively was free power. But back then, what I found is that the panels often had a lifetime of about seven to ten years, in which case just at the point that you were getting some money back on them, they'd basically turn their toes up and you'd have to replace them, which I always thought that's not a great investment. But and I was looking at some panels yesterday, thirty year warranty on the panels, and after thirty years they'll be performing at eighty two percent or something like that. So that that's in and of itself, the efficiency and the longevity of the panels, I think changes the metric quite significantly. And look, I tell you what I will. I will make sure that I mentioned to James, who I'm going to catch up with to talk about that, and when I do, I'll mention it. And if you've got some more information, feel free to give us a call back. Pete, thank you very very much for your call. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty six thirty two, and Bob, good morning, good.
Speaker 5: Morning, good morning. I would just like the comparison between real wood in an older home with you know, of the flooring, as opposed to artificial or stuff that you buy from the flooring shop, which would wear and tear better.
Speaker 2: Ah. Okay, I've been into.
Speaker 5: An older home. It's had beautiful wooden flooring beautifully done, and it's gone very scratchy, very marked, And how often would you need to re do that as opposed to stuff that's I presume it's artificial and that you lay directly onto the concrete floor that you're going to put in this home, right, craky.
Speaker 8: I mean, there's there's so many different elements there, and some of it might start with esthetics.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 8: So, if for example, it's an existing older home, you know any eear up to sort of the nineteen fifties, typically we did strip flooring. Whether that was if you go back to villas, they were typically cowry. If you go into bungalows, they start to be matti. If you go into sort of nineteen forties, nineteen fifties, they'll often be remoove and so on and so forth. Then we kind of ran out of native timber and stopped analong came particle board. So you know, if it's in a house and you've got all that character there, then yes, often you know, pull up the carpet, sand the floors, and you've got beautiful native timber flooring. What I've found, and I'm in this situation as well, We've done two sands of the floor. I can't sand my floor anymore. So if when this particular coating comes to the end of its life, I don't really have too many options apart from overlaying. I did another little project in fact that projects up on YouTube at the moment, where we had an older house that had a mixture of sort of native timber floors from the original house then a concrete extension, and so we overlaid and used an engineered wood product, which was you know, a board that was a laminated board and it had a finished surface on the top in this case, and was it Matt French oak. And so we lay that over the entire floor and that's down for about five or six years, and that's been remarkably durable. But those floors will scratch and have wear and tear on them as well.
Speaker 5: That last one, was that a floating floor or was that direct to the concrete.
Speaker 8: It does have an option of being fixed as a floating one, but because we had old timber floor and plywood repairs and concrete all at the same level, I opted to have that direct fixed down, So we glued that one down.
Speaker 5: So how bad you know? In five years? Are you happy with the wear and tear? I mean, is it a hard area where like a kitchen dining area it goes from.
Speaker 8: The front door, through the hallway, through the lounge into the kitchen area, and then out to the bifold doors that go out into the rear yard. So yeah, it gets a fair amount of wear and tear, but by and lunch, I'm reasonably happy with it.
Speaker 2: So I think.
Speaker 8: I think the thing is, you know, if you're going for timber, timber is always a little now, whether that's an engineered floor or a natural floor, there's always going to be wear and tears. So you know, if you can be really disciplined around saying well, look, I'm not going to wear hard shoes inside the house. It will wear better, UV if you.
Speaker 5: Let dogs dogs in the house.
Speaker 8: No, no, no, no, no dogs. I mean, look we're at home. We've got a cat, and the cat scratches the floor, right, you know, charging around, playing games and that sort of thing, so they wear right. Timber floors wear, you know, if you're really after durability. In fact, on the same project, I did a little cabin at the back and I used timber lock tiles. So that's super hard wearing, right, But at first glance it looks like timber, so that that's an option in terms of the vinyls because there are there are timber effect vinyl planking as well, which might be a little bit hard, harder wearing, and in some cases it's it's not easy, but it is repairable, as in, you know, if you had some damage, let's say you dropped a pan in the in the kitchen and then it damaged the surface and you had some left over, a suitably skilled person could replace that and install it. So if it is going to be a hard wearing area, you might look at a vinyl because it's repaarable. That's an option, right, Okay, you know, everything wears right, it just depends on.
Speaker 5: How much than the manufactured stuff. Would you say that as an argument.
Speaker 8: I probably would, but I wouldn't say it in such a way that you go, gosh, I wouldn't. I wouldn't contemplate a timber surface because there's there's a warmth about it and a feel to them as well, which you know, you offset that with some of the r ability. I mean, if you really want durability, you'd go for tiles or you know, something like that. But then you might not want that because it feels cold underfoot, or it's too hard or something like that.
Speaker 5: So yeah, break breaks too many plates.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, I've always wondered about that, you know, because I know, we used to do quite a lot of houses and we'd tile the kitchen right, and people will go, no, I don't want tiles in the kitchen because if I dropped something, it'll break.
Speaker 8: And I'm thinking, you know, I figure that if you drop a glass onto a timber floor, it's going to break almost the same as if you dropped it onto a tile floor. I don't know that that's I'd love to test that. Actually, if you've got a set of glasses that you don't want. I'll do my own testing. A nice to chat with you. Good luck with all of those decisions. Take care bother. We'll take a short break. We'll talk to Steve after the break. If you'd like to join us, we've got lines free for you right now. On this our first day back into regular time. Let's say so it'll be a bit brighter in the mornings, but it'll be it'll be a terrible shock to the system tonight at about what's six thirty or so when the sun goes down at eight hundred and eighty eight the number to.
Speaker 1: Call it what God was, but maybe called Pete. First, you will get the resident Builder news talks.
Speaker 8: They'd be some fantastic texts, but we'll we'll talk to Steve first. Hello, Steve, good morning, morning morning.
Speaker 10: I'm ringing from PARMI.
Speaker 11: Nice day to day.
Speaker 10: Look, I've got a two hundred and approx. Two hundred and teen square made a double story home that was built in the nineteen nineties. Had someone come around to check the fireplate. I've got a box fire and my sport yep and it's been smoking about the last probably two or three years. To be honest and I wanted to get a checked before I before winter settled in sure, I thought I thought the battles might be crooked something. Anyway, a guy comes around who is a guest that I think, but they too far and he had a quick looking sultan sit here alarms at crack been there, Yeah, I noticed it a couple of years ago. He condemned it. Yeah, which is when he explained it all, and I was I was really happy with that because on the house.
Speaker 6: To bend down.
Speaker 10: But he talked about and reading My question to you is now we left with it's a big lambs living area which has closed off from another living area which is a heat pump. And there's this whole thing of replacing the fire with the fluid that goes through into the second story and used to not heat that up as well versus electric you know, heat pump and the other the thing. The other thing I'll statement I make is he little bit confused because he talked about having to change locks on doors around the house replacing fire because of the new compliance rules, like you know, he had to look at all my exits and so those locks would be suitable if we put a new fire box because of regulations now, so anyway, I'll leave it.
Speaker 8: I'll look into that. You know, it's it's quite possible at rules. So was that around egress as in you're not okay? So it's not about people being able to get into the space. I'm thinking like the pool fencing, right, so you can't let little ones into around the pool. But this is if you're going to have an open fire. Well, it's not even an open fire, it's.
Speaker 10: Another just to put another because I'm just looking at the replacement. I looked at a simple replacement of flifting kill of what mass sport box again into the area which is all bricked and tiled.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Anyway, when you talk about all these egresses having to be looked at and bolts coming off, slide indoors and all that, I started to think, well, there's to be a rocket science.
Speaker 8: Okay, So well let's put that to one side. What are you thinking about doing with the fireplace because obviously you can't use it given that it's probably unsafe if it's got a great big crack in it, can you I'm thinking too that if you were to pull it out and put another one, and you will need to go for a building consent for that as well. Counsel want to know about these sorts of things.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's right, Yeah, yeah, and I guess yes, and that he probably off the top of his head, said, you properly ban get much change out of ten thousand.
Speaker 8: In terms of for the whole project, for the whole program.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, I mean I've got some Yeah. It doesn't need a seck of fluid triple flue they call them now to go up through the second story, So there's extra costs there. But I'm just weighing up where whether I get a cheap pump in the area, you know good follows by seven killer what peat pump and be done with it?
Speaker 8: What would you do with the fireplace? Just kind of turn it into a decoration?
Speaker 10: Well, I suggested that my son and the yea rather has expive coming out. Yeah he is an electrician entry but doesn't live in the same tilS were however, Yeah, probably his suggestion was just pull down the bricks, do it, or you and make them do up the lounge and make a new corner for yourself and do something hideous with the corner.
Speaker 8: A bit of a challenge, isn't it. I tell you what the other option is and I will give a plug to these guys because I was in their factory not long ago. Sear Fires E s ce A is ce A. It's a Dunedin based so obviously a local New Zealand based fire manufacture. They do gas fires, they do timber fires. They also do interestingly enough, electric fires with effectively a hologram. Now, I know that that might sound tacky, but I've seen them and they're pretty good. I'm just thinking about you know, if you've got the scrape of opening, you've got the whole houses designed around a fireplace basically, or that room will be. You pull that one out, you put in an electric one, do some minor trimmings around the edge. Bingo, You've still got the heating and you've got the appearance and you don't have to worry about flues and fire regulations because it's.
Speaker 2: Not a fire.
Speaker 10: Yeah yeah, yeah, well that's true. Well let's I don't know what the killer, what's what they pump out?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Yeah, they don't muck around, these guys, So have a look at that. I'm gonna move on. Let us know how you get on. I'll tell you what. Interestingly enough, Steve there are so just having a quick look online. So with regard to firepraces and egress, you have to ensure that the fireplaces compliant with the building code and it's maintained, and that escape routes are clear and accessible. Specifically, exit doors must be unlocked and free of obstructions. So that is really really interesting. I'll do a bit more digging around that twelve minutes away from seven. Thanks very much. If you call Steve, we'll take your calls before the news as well, so you can call us right now, oh, eight hundred and eighty, ten eighty. We'll try and get through a few texts as well. Just a bit of a heads up. After eight o'clock, the Minister for Building and Construction, Chris Penk will be joining us just on the line, so there to be fair, there are about ten topics that we could discuss, but in discussion with the Minister and with his team, I've said, look, I want to talk about the BCA announcement which is going back about two three weeks ago, and the recent announcement this week about the perhaps stronger disciplinary actions for want of a better term, cowboy builders. We'll talk about that. There is about another five or six topics that we can discuss, but will do that when the Minister joins me in the studio in a couple of weeks time. So after the news at eight, Chris Pink, the Minister for Housing and Construction or Building in Construction rather will be on the line. So looking forward to that. If you've got any texts, I might be able to slide in a quick question from you as well. So if you've got a very specific text question for the Minister, feel free to slide that into the discussion this morning as well. It is coming up eleven minutes away from seven, Yes, eleven away from seven. We're back into regular time. The clocks went back at two o'clock in the morning, and you can call us now on eight hundred and eighty ten eighty.
Speaker 1: Doing of the house extorting the garden, asked Pete for a hand. The resident builder with peta wolfcap call, Oh eight eighty ten eighty.
Speaker 2: Youth talks envy.
Speaker 8: Rightyo, lines are open, Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty. Someone said electricfiers to killer. What Max? I'm not sure that that's true for the c ones that I mentioned, So I'm going to have a look and find out some fabulous texts. This one I'm very tempted to test. Cork tiles are the ones. We're talking about. Tiles and weather different types of flooring. Means that if you drop your favorite champagne flute when you're drying it at the sink, it won't break. Now, if it hits tiles, it'll break. If it hits timber, it won't. Someone suggested that nothing breaks when dropping it on cork tiles. I'm happy to test that. There might be some evidence for it. I do quite like corktiles. Well, no, they're triggering because I've had to rip up so much of it over the years, and it's quite a job to rip it up, to be fair, But it's making a comeback, which is awesome. Thank you Tom for that. Julie, good morning to you.
Speaker 6: Good morning morning.
Speaker 8: Indeed, I have a problem with the big room windows.
Speaker 12: The town has double glaze. Been here a couple of years. It's just just me and the bedrooms. They're really cold. One bedroom, the curtains are around in the wind and when you stand behind them, it's sort of like the same temperate duringside as it is outside the other one. The first winter I had ice in the channel, and the last one's one of the frost. The two patches prose completely solid. I'd wait till the sun came up, the SRI would open the window and they pour water. Right, nothing, no moisture on the inside of the double gaze. I just wondered what the problem is, or if you have any suggestion.
Speaker 8: Yeah, sure, I think you've highlighted a really good issue. And I suppose as we're getting better and better buildings, we're real that the weak spots which we kind of were able to ignore when we had buildings that had very little insulation and lots of drafts and so on. So as we're sort of effectively blocking all of these gaps in our buildings. Right, So, if you build today, you've got a building wrap on the outside, or you might have a rigid air barrier, You'll probably have insulation in the walls. You'll have flooring that perhaps doesn't is not as drafty as old strip flooring, ceilings that are well insulated hopefully, et cetera, et cetera. So heat transfer always wants to happen, right, if it's warm inside and it's cold outside, it wants to go outside. And if it's the other way around. It wants to come the other way. And so I think, what I'm taking a guess, and I'm going to say that if yours is a townhouse of sort of the last what is it twenty five thirty years old? About eight o eas old? Okay, so even eight years old. Again, I would hazard a guess and say that the aluminum joinery that you've got would be conventional aluminium joy as in, it is not thermally broken aluminium joinery. So while your walls have got good insulation hopefully, and your double glazing is way more effective than single glazing, the aluminium joinery Aluminium is a conductor and so heat will transfer through it, and that's what's happening, right, So you'll have double glazing in the window, you'll have conventional aluminium joinery, non thermally broken, and that's where you'll get condensation collecting on there and it will feel cold. And I've seen graphics of it so tested in a laboratory, what actually happens when you know, you test and examine and do thermal imaging on conventional joinery. So broadly speaking, we've got timber joinery, we've got aluminium joinery. We've got thermally broken aluminium joinery, and increasingly we've got uPVC joinery as well, right, and in some cases composite, and they all formed differently, so yours at conventional aluminium jowinery, it'll be the joinery that's the problem. Now I'm going to go to the break, but I think we should carry on and maybe.
Speaker 1: Whether you're painting the ceiling, fixing with feds, or wondering how to fix that hole in the wall.
Speaker 13: Give Peter wolf Gamp call on eighty the Resident Builder on News Dogs B. Welcome back to the show. It is just coming up seven minutes after seven. My name's people wolf Camp, resident builder. And this is a show all about building. Funnily enough, but building is such a well without being self aggrandizing, there's a lot, right that, all of the various whether it's compliance, whether it's the regulations, whether it's the contractors, whether it is the actual built environment, the regulations, the products, the components, the legislation. You know, all of these things are part of building. So we've talked about tiles, it's part of building. We've talked about soul, we've talked about flooring, we've talked about fireplaces, and now we're talking about bedroom windows. And I guess you know this is where it actually when you're a bit of a building geek, this is where actually building science gets really exciting at the moment, because we're much more able to be very targeted, very refined, very focused on which parts of our building envelope perform well and which parts don't. And you know, for a long time, and we've had conventional aluminium jowinery for a long time. The upgrade to H one meant that in many cases, in order to comply with H one, we would see a move from conventional aluminium jowinery. And when I say conventional, what I mean is that if you take a cross section through an aluminium window, essentially the aluminium on the inside is connected to the aluminium on the outside. I'm not trying to oversimplify this and I'm not trying to run it down. I'm just saying that that's what it looks like when you cut through it.
Speaker 8: So, now, if you're talking about thermally broken aluminium jewinery, there is a break between the aluminium on the exterior and the aluminium on the inside, which stops the transfer of heat through the aluminium because aliminium is a great conductor. Other types of joinery Timber, for example, is a very poor conductor of energy, and that's why often timber joinery is thermally efficient because it's a poor conductor. Other types of joinery composites uPVC and so on, perform better in terms of their ability to manage that transfer of heat than conventional aluminium jowinery, And up until quite recently, most aluminium jowinery was conventional, and even with better insulation in the walls and with double glade, it focuses the weak spot often on that. And so a couple of years ago I got called to a relatively new house with a person said I'd like you to come and have a look. The windows are leaking, and that that can happen. But in this instance, it wasn't the windows leaking. It was simply condensation that was building up through the aluminium jewry and that was the problem. So, Julie, I wonder whether you've got a similar issue there that if it's a relatively new house you've got double glazing. The double glazing is doing its job. It's slowing down the transfer of heat between inside of its warm and outside of its coal, and that heat is looking for somewhere else to go, and it's finding its way through the aluminum jowinery, the conventional aluminum jewinery, and that's where you've got the issue that you've got. I think does that make sense to you, Julie, oh hand, Sorry, the.
Speaker 6: Whole window drifts.
Speaker 12: The other one that I need, the bottom half that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, are you like for a for a window to freeze shut? That's that requires I suppose a feel amount of moisture and very low temperatures. So are you where are you based in the country?
Speaker 12: Christ dirch okay, But it was only a mild frost, but it.
Speaker 8: Was enough to I suppose there was sufficient moisture to create or to to create ice and thereby Jamy window mm hmm.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I have to open a lot a lot of the time, but course not on the really cold but I have gone half lark on whatever.
Speaker 8: I think that's great.
Speaker 12: Don't heat the bedrooms, so it's.
Speaker 8: Not see now that that might be you know this in terms of heating the bedroom, right, that actually might be part of your solution, you know, so maybe installing some thermal drapes that will help as well. So okay, thermal drapes. But rather than letting the bedroom get down to twelve fourteen degrees, right, try and keep the temperature in that room even to a modest eighteen degrees will make a difference to the environment inside that space. So maybe your next change. And given that you've only got a small amount of the room that that effectively is not particularly good at retaining heat. If you were to add some heat to it you hopefully you won't spend too much money on that, but it will make a significant difference to the environment inside that room.
Speaker 6: Yeah, lovely, Okay, all.
Speaker 8: The very best, take care of Julie Pete. I text you a little while about about getting aluminium double blazing or UPBC. You suggested you PVC. I got it and it's absolutely brilliant. Thank you very much. Tim. That's interesting and I was looking at some data the other day on measurable scientific data about what happens to heat transferred depending on the type of joinery that you've got, and it's quite fascinating to read. Thank you very much for that text. And that's good to hear. Oh eight one hundred eighty ten eighty. I'll catch up with a few texts actually corptiles. We've mentioned that morning peat I'm renovating my bathroom, Should I tile first before hanging the vanity and the vertical storage unit? Increasingly we do, and I think there is a benefit to it. You don't necessarily have to tile everywhere, but rather than rather than hang the vanity and tile up to it, which then allows for moisture to sort of creep in around the edges. I think typically we're tiling the walls, hanging the vanity on it or the wall unit on it. My mates who are renovating at the moment, I'm pretty sure that that's exactly what they've done. Earlier on we were talking about installing solar onto a metal tile roof, and this is a relatively model one modern one. Someone stepped through how they're going to attach the peerlins instead of the batons. Well, the thing with metal tile roofs typically is they don't really have perlins. They tend to run battons over the top of the trusses or joists, which are small. Conventional perlin is x seventy five x fifty, so seventy by fortyish of timber or forty five of timber, and so that gives you a fair amount of purchase for the screws that will hold the rails that hold the solar panels. If you've got a fifty x twenty five batten, you're not getting as much purchase. So I wonder whether the solar installers will try and aim for purchase fixing into either the truss or to the joist. But I'll make some further inquiries because that's a bit of a challenge and flooring question. Please, with good quality laminated flooring like nineteen month one which would be stuck down in concrete or timber floors, can this be used in kitchen and bathroom situations i e? Wet areas? There was a Hali a kerfuffle a couple of years ago where building regulations changed to include protection of wet areas, and that then started to include anywhere that had a tap fixing. So for example, a dishwasher has a tap fitting, a kitchen has a tap fitting. A handbasin and a toilet is effectively a tap fitting, and that one point five meters radius around that fitting needed to be impervious, and there was a lot of discussion around does that mean you can't have timber flooring, for example, in a kitchen. How do you make that impervious? To be fair, I'm not sure where they exactly got to, but I think it's kind of settled to a point where, yes, you can do laminate flooring for example in a kitchen. You may need to do some waterproofing, you might need to use a particular brand of laminate flooring. But it certainly doesn't mean that everything has to be tiles, which is one of the discussions from a wee while ago. But it's still contested ground. To be fair, that wasn't a terribly clear piece of legislation, to be blunt, right, Oh, fifteen and a half after seven, we're talking all things building and a very good morning to you, money, my morning, how things are?
Speaker 14: Just walking my dog along the Munitou.
Speaker 8: River, Manitou? Where is the Munaitou river? Muna River. I'm with you, yes, I'll just think to you.
Speaker 14: Earlier on you mentioned about people worried about breaking their glasses and their yes on toll falls in kitchens.
Speaker 8: Yes, well for me, it's not the case.
Speaker 14: It's the times they get broken, right, Yeah, all all my families that have houses, it had piles, say, I don't know, maybe a female members form of these tiles, especially because they got a lot of kids and broken tile or broken tiles in the kitchen, so they hate it. They don't like it.
Speaker 8: I wonder whether there's I wonder whether there's a couple of things happening there. One is and depending on the age when it was installed. I mean, look, I can remember doing tiles on a particle board floor in a kitchen about more than thirty years ago. And back then in terms of building regulation, we literally just it was a particle board floor, and we got our adhesive when we trailed it, and we put the tiles down right, no waterproofing underneath it. The floors were not necessarily designed for tiles, et cetera, et cetera. By comparison, I went to a renovation last week where because they've got tiles in a bathroom, the floor joists at four hundred centers, it's nogged at four hundred centers. They've got particle board or no, they used nineteen mil fiber cement sheet screwed down. Then they've done waterproofing. And then the other key thing is that tilers you can do like dobs of adhesive and put the tile down, and so you don't have a full bed of adhesive. You effectively have these little pockets. And if you happen to drop something on the space where there's no tile adhesive, it's got very little support and it'll break. So yeah, I mean, tiles well laid on the right substrate are probably less resistant to breaking than ones laid in a different manner.
Speaker 14: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but I know what's you saying.
Speaker 8: And look, you know, often you see it where you know, tile cracks and then you go shivers to get that off, especially if it's like in a shower or in a wheat area. You go, you know, can I get that off without damaging the water proofing? And then if I do damage the waterproofing, how do I repair the waterproofing? It just gets really really challenging saying that done. Heaps of tiling, and I love them in the right place. So thanks very much. Enjoy the walk with the dog on this hopefully beautiful morning. I tell you what, I'm still slightly freaked out about it. There was amazing fog over the harbor this morning. Driving in, it reminded me of those scenes from the Harry Potter movies, you know, where the death Eater has come down and you get that sort of black mist hanging around, like you couldn't see the city. As I was driving in from the shore, approaching the Harbor Bridge, looking out across the Harbor, I could see the top of the sky tower, but below it not a thing. It was. There was this I suppose sea fog. I'm guessing it was, but it was black. It was it was kind of it was quite evocative, I have to say, driving in this morning, right oh, I eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call. If you've got a question of a building nature, you should call me right now in the next hour of the program, So from eight to eight thirty. I'm really looking forward to a chat with the Minister for Building and Construction, that is Chris Pink. He's going to phone in and we're going to have a chat. Particularly, I mean to be fair, there is a long, long list of recent announcements that we could discuss, but I'm going to try and restrain myself to just talking about the things that we agreed we'd talk about, which is the BCAS so the building consent authorities and the government's move to get monitoring on how quickly bcas are processing building consents, and I've got a couple of questions for them around that. And then the other one that we want to talk about is the more recent announcement regarding increased sort of disciplinary action for wayward builders like this Chappie who appeared in the Herald article wins this Herald article the fifth So two days yesterday a builder who ran three years behind schedule while building a couple's home and then charged them an extra seventy two thousand dollars for labor and materials and then left the job and other contractors had to do it. Craig O'Brien, this is all in the paper, so I'm not revealing anything here. Craig O'Brien is the contractor Deborah and Basil Richards, who were then stuck with one hundred and thirty thousand dollars contractors bill, despite having already paid O'Brien in advance. O'Brien promised to repay the money they stumped up for the contractors, but the Richards have thus far managed to recoup only a fraction of it. Meanwhile, it's alleged that O'Brien has recently built a two bidge and extension to his own home. This is all revealed in a decision from the Building Practitioners Board. The couple made a complaint to the board, which has the power to suspend or even cancel a licensed building practitioners license, about thet or the conduct of O'Brien, and a recently released ruling, the board stopped short of that penalty. I don't know why stopped short of that penalty and instead imposed a seventeen hundred dollar fine and censured O'Brien for a breach of the profession's code of ethics. It is a penalty that complainant Deba Richards told NZME was weak.
Speaker 2: For me.
Speaker 8: It's sort of like if this was America, we could see them and there'd be consequences, but there are no consequences in this country. According to the board's ruling, O'Brien had been contacted by the Richards for a com contracted for a complete home build in Auckland. It was meant to have finished the job in March twenty twenty one, but it wasn't completed until April twenty twenty four, and that was with the help of other contractors. While the soon states the home is now finished, Deborah Richard said she was still to get a code to meet the code and needed more work to get it over the line. The couple were building the house to sell, but lost the buyer because it took so long. Then they then lost potential rent earnings after being unable to tenant it sooner. During the build, O'Brien charged the Richard and extra seventy two thousand dollars for labor and materials, but kept knowing that invoices or evidence to prove their additional cost. He told him it was due to price fluctuations when contract. This had to be brought in at a cost of one hundred and thirty thousand dollars to the Richards. O'Brien and O'Brien agreed to repay them ten thousand dollars per month, but they've thus far received only twenty one thousand dollars. Interesting, according to the company's office, are seeking advice ah the company Building Labour Solutions Limited, when into receivership owing creditors according to the company's office, one hundred and eighty eight thousand dollars, he's now liquidated and will get away free according to well, that's the opinion of the client. So the board said in its investigation into O'Brien's breaches of the Code of Ethics, it was limited because much of his conduct occurred before the code became enforceable in twenty twenty two. However, the code states that a license builder must act in good faith, which means dealing fairly and honestly with a client and keeping one's promises. We probably should get someone from and beyond to talk about the Code of Ethics. I've been talking about it in different sort of groups and formats and forums for a little while. If you are engaging in LBP, it is worth informing yourself about it. I think it's very good. I think that it most disputes that people probably have with their lbps are probably more likely around their behavior and practice rather than the actual building work itself. And that's where I think the Code of Ethics, which became enforceable I think it was October twenty twenty two, you know, should make a real difference. So check it out for yourself. Really easy to find four basic categories, nineteen different sort of requirements under that fairly broad brushstroke types of things. But you know, behaving professionally is now. There is the code of Ethics, so have a look at it. If you're engaging with a contractor, and if you are an l and you don't know about the Code of ethics, you need to get on board and learn about it. To be blunt. Twenty four minutes after seven less good morning, Hello, Liz.
Speaker 6: How are you? Can you hear me?
Speaker 8: I can go ahead, please.
Speaker 6: Good good, Hey. I just want to have to talk to you about a DVU system.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 6: I've bought five of these units and put them into different hounds that I've owned. I was up setting the other day.
Speaker 8: Can we just just for the purposes of being clear, I doubt that. Did you put them in or did you have them installed?
Speaker 15: No?
Speaker 6: No, no, they've been professionally instructed by d DVS.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm with you, yep, yep.
Speaker 6: But I was up in the ceiling the other day changing my filter. Yes, you know you can change the filter as yourself.
Speaker 16: Yep.
Speaker 6: And it's quite a simple matter. While I was up in the ceiling, I heard my fan were squealing. I thought, well, that doesn't sound good. So when I came down, I turned the system off because I thought, well, it's the fan, it's the fans squealing, it's probably a bearing, and it's a bearing sales, it could catch a item overhead.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I churned the system off and I phoned DVS Hamilton because I live in Hamilton and I've dealt through them. And the guy that I phoned said, oh, look, i'll put you onto another chap. So I got put onto this so other chap and told him about oh no, no, I'll have to put you onto our serviceman. So I got put onto the third person, which was a serviceman, and I told him what the problem was and he said, oh, I know, mate. He said, we're going to have to put a new system and it's going to cost you about two five And I said, hang on mate. I said, this system we've got is under ten years old. And he said, oh, well that's all we can do. And I said, well, I'm not happy about that. I said, I bought a lot of units off you guys, and I've dealt with looking all the way through. And he said, I'll have to get back to you. So two days later I get a call from d the s Auckland technical guy, and he said, well, the fan system you've got we can't replace. What we're going to do is replace it with a new system. And I said, well, well, what's that going to cost me? And he said it's going to cost you six hundred and sixty dollars including GUS two. So I'm disappointed because I thought these units would last longer than ten years.
Speaker 8: Look, I'll be really clear, you know, I'm not particularly interested in you litigating your dispute with a company on air when I don't know all of the circumstances. So if you've got a dispute with them, have it out with them. I don't think this is the right format to be discussing it. And what I would suggests and I understand you frustration, but you know what you should do is go back and have a look at the original contract, the warranties that are given, and potentially there's a warranty on parts. Let's say that's two years or five years. Now. If it happens to be a fifteen year warranty and it's failed within ten years, then you've got reason to be, you know, to go to them and expect them to replace it. If, for example, it states clearly you know these particular items are warrantied for this amount of time and it's past that. Then you accepted that when you had it installed, and I understand that being disappointed. But to be really honest, I'm not prepared to litigate this on air. That's something for you to discuss, given that it's very specific with the company involved, and I would do this for any company. I have no engagement with them or anything like that. I just think it's unfair to litigate it on air. So appreciate the call, but we'll leave it there. Oh eight one hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call. It is twenty eight after seven. Squeaky door or squeaky floor.
Speaker 1: Get the right advice from Peter Wolfcare, the resident fielder on News Talks HEB.
Speaker 8: Radio News Talks B. We're talking all things Billink. Sorry, I'm distracted by a text that's coming that's given me a hard time, which is fine, uh Radio. Oh, this is a great text. I mentioned the fog on the way in because it was it was really quite dramatic, quite eerie. That's not fog, that's TG t TG Trump tariff gloom from from Owen. Thank you, very much. That's very wise. T TG Trump Tariff Bloom Radio. Let's talk about Sola. Hello, Grant, good morning, Pete. How are you good? Thank you and yourself?
Speaker 16: Yeah yeah, yeah, good, thank you. It is a dramatic little fog, isn't it.
Speaker 8: It really is like it was like so dense you couldn't see the lights of the city as I was driving up to the bridge from the shore.
Speaker 16: Wow, that's cool. Yeah, it's just I'm just looking out and I can they just missed one hundred meters and then can't see anything.
Speaker 8: Okay, but like the go where we're probably going to talk about something else, won't we Yes.
Speaker 16: Yeah, yeah, there are two things, all the three that we were in there to.
Speaker 17: Okay, So this whole.
Speaker 16: Aun panel guy, he should like obviously get somebody else to instill that, like an installer to instill them. But I was looking at them, you know, like it's all on panels and things, and like if you can get his neighbor on either side of him to buy some as well, right, and then when you hook the three of them up, they can they will, you know, he can pay them off quicker and because he can put more juice back in the into the grid, you know, and plus you know, like he could come your own little pound station, which is a.
Speaker 8: Great idea and probable, but we all know that these things get incredibly complicated. So I think, stick to your own grid and it's way simpler.
Speaker 16: Yeah, yeah, true, true that.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 16: Okay, Now remember quite some muster Den or six or maybe two.
Speaker 6: A while ago.
Speaker 16: I suggested that the sand hills in christ Church were man made, not natural, and you went, well, I don't know about that. I had to look into it. And then I thought, oh, beats on the radio. I wonder if he looked into it.
Speaker 8: And to be fair, I probably didn't, and I probably won't with a grace respect. Right, let's talk about building. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number, Frank, Hello there.
Speaker 17: Yeah, Pete.
Speaker 11: I bought a new house, quite of brought a new house up in a red beach and I'm moving in a few weeks. It's got a nice big deck on it, but unfortunately, well it's made of the deck as a pine deck. I've usually had Queeler prefer pine, but I'll go for the.
Speaker 6: Pine.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 11: My question is I'm going to oil it. How long should I leave it? Like should I oil it this season or should I oil it next season?
Speaker 8: So it was laid let's say, prior to summer. So it's had a summer, right, it's most of we had a summer.
Speaker 11: Yeah, we've had a good three months most probably.
Speaker 8: I think that's long enough for it to effectively. What you want with new treated pine decking is that it kind of flashes off, right, so the timber preservative that's in it gets a chance to breathe, rise to the surface, and then it's not going to sort of push off your stains. So in that sense, I think, given and given the summer that we've had, you know how little rain that we've had until recently, it's probably ready for a sealer. And ideally, I'm just thinking about winter coming, right, if you can get it sealed before winter settles in, and I know we've had quite a bit of rain the last couple of days. That will dry out if you had two, three, four days of decent weather and then get a coat of sealer onto it. And most of the sealers now for decking are essentially a penetrating oil stain, so I would still give it a treatment. So maybe even today while it's still wet from the weather over the last little while. Go and get some deck wash. Apply that give it an agitate with a stiff broom. Rinse it off. Don't water blast it, just rinse it off. Let that dry, and as soon as it feels dry, I'd get into it with an oil based or with a penetrating oil stain onto that timber.
Speaker 11: Excellent, I think it again.
Speaker 8: These you job for the day. Take care, Take care, Frank. I'm just watching. We've got obviously TV screens in the studio and they've got BBC News on and they're looking at Romania back in the days just after the fall of the Berlin Wall and so on. So we're talking early nineteen ninety one. I had some pictures of down town book Arrest and the massive white house effectively that Charchescu built back then, and the boulevards that they created and downtown book Arrest, and then it had the protests, and as it happens, I was actually there in about it would have been May or June of nineteen ninety one, and it was still pretty lawless. It was pretty rugged back then. I was traveling through. I'd been in Greece. I traveled up through Bulgaria, took the train from Thessalonica to book Arest, stayed a couple of stayed about a week in book Arrest, and then traveled on to Budapest. And someone had suggested that I buy a couple of packets of Marlborough cigarettes curtains of cigarettes, because you could use that to barter. And so I was wandering through downtown brook Arrest with a carton of cigarettes on the backpack and met some kind of lonely looking guards outside that White House, that parliament building or that palace right in the middle of town. Said can I have looked through? And they sort of went, oh yeah, And I gave them a few packets of cigarettes and I wandered through it. That's the most bizarre experience, to be fair. It was just a bunch of us wandering through the old White House building, massive chandeliers, these huge ornate staircases. I think I actually went right up to the roof looked out over the city. Anyway, it's quite funny seeing those pictures on the TV. There you go, there's a happy memory. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. We'll talk to Brian straight after the break your new smealthy.
Speaker 1: You get those DIY projects done right, the resident builder with beatable scat call.
Speaker 2: Oh eight, you've talked ZVY.
Speaker 8: Radio. We're actually we're going to talk to Daniel from Nanoclear shortly. But before then, Brian, greetings to you. Hang on sick. Here we go, Brian, Hello there.
Speaker 17: Yes, I live next door to a restaurant.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 17: And one of the customers has driven into the thing.
Speaker 8: Yeah, sure I shouldn't, but I can imagine that happening.
Speaker 17: Yep. He's taken out a couple of posts which were concreted in right, Yes, and three panels are down right. Two were less loose that fell down in the wind three nights ago.
Speaker 8: Yep.
Speaker 17: And the police have said it to be nine months before the prosecuted.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 17: Yeah, so I send a letter to the restaurant telling them, uh as you are aware one of your customers has during in an offense. Again, I have spoken to the police, and it could be nine months.
Speaker 8: I think I might have a quicker I might have a quicker solution for your Brian, why don't you just go to your insurer.
Speaker 17: I'm not insured a car afford it, okay?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 17: Things that could you send me attached quote to your insurance company and get the fence fixed? All right? And those replied, thanks for sending the quote, but the sense for a pair is your and my client's business, and the police has already stated we don't need to do anything.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Have you been able to identify the driver of the car that caused the damage.
Speaker 17: I've got his name, because.
Speaker 8: Ultimately it's it's probably not even the restaurant's respect if it was the restaurant. Let's say the restaurant did deliveries and it was their delivery driver that backed.
Speaker 17: Into the city one of their customers.
Speaker 8: Okay, well, I can't see how they are responsible for their customer's behavior, particularly since it happened outside of the premises.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 8: So ultimately the person responsible is the person who is driving the car. Because you're not insured, you're going to have to seek redress from that person. I wonder if you can find their details I would do. I would go to the disputes tribunal because you'll be able to get a hearing quite quickly. Chances are the person won't attend, in which case you'll get a determination from the disputes tribunal, which then gives you something that's enforceable by the court, and then the court will then help you to recover the money from the driver of the vehicle. So stop all the correspondence, find out, find out who the person is, go to the dispute tribunal, get a hearing, go from there. That'll be the quickest way.
Speaker 17: How long will it take to go through the.
Speaker 8: Look, it might not, it might be a couple of months, but it's going to be quicker than anything else because I would imagine that the person. Look, you could approach the person, but if you're not getting a response from them, you know, how are you going to keep chasing them up? I would go dispute tribunal because then you have the backing of the district court. I'll try that. Annoying, but I would try that.
Speaker 17: Doesn't the restaurant own half the side fence?
Speaker 8: Not necessarily, because chances are the person who is occupying the restaurant leases the building from the owner. So and then as a property owner, I wasn't responsible for the damage. It's not like it's an old fence that fell over. It's it's an individual using a car that's damaged the fence. It's got if I was the owner of the land, I'm not responsible for it because I didn't cause the damage.
Speaker 17: All right, If I pay to get the fence repaired while waiting for the pols, doesn't the person next door have to pay half?
Speaker 8: Nope, because it's it's damage as a posts, you know, if the fence, Well, the only way you could do that, and the only way you can get half of the payment is if you, under the Fencing Act go to them and say we need to replace the fence as a result of damage. I'm seeking a contribution from you. They might argue, well, the damage wasn't caused by me, nor was it normal wear and tear. It's a one off event, because then they're going to have to try and claim from the person who did it as well, which just gets time consuming as well. So I think your shortest course of action is going to be to try and find out the name and address of the person who caused the damage, the driver of the car, and then register with the Disputes Tribunal and seek a judgment from them for damages and then that is enforceable by the court. And that's the one thing that's the advantage. And we had the basically chief judge or chief adjudicator from the dispute Stribunal on the show a little while ago. And that was the one thing that I learned about that which was really really useful. Right yoh, we're going to take short break. We'll come back. We'll talk to Daniel from Nanoclear in a moment. We've got time for a couple more calls, and then after the news at eight o'clock a chance to have a bit of a chat with the Minister for Building and Construction Chris Pink will join me after eight o'clock.
Speaker 1: Measure twice God was but maybe call Pete first, feed your WORFCAF the resident builder News Talk said be a couple of.
Speaker 8: Weeks ago someone rang and was talking about sort of faded aluminium joinery. Interestingly enough, so in many cases you'll get faded aluminium jowinery. Maybe the garage door looks a bit dull, so aluminium powder coated surfaces can fade and discolor over time. New Zealand weather, the intense weather the UV causes oxidation and corrosion on aluminium windows and garage doors. So Nanoclear is a solution to restore and protect these surfaces. Today, Daniel, one of Nanoclear's professional applicators, is here to tell us a bit more. Daniel, good morning, Good morning Peter, how are you hey. Now, I know Nanoclear is like a protective coating, So tell us a little bit more about it and what makes it the best solution for the protection of aluminium window frames and garage doors.
Speaker 15: Yeah, thanks Peter. Yeah, we have a team of friendly professionals who take care and special attention to protecting your proddicated surfaces, increasing the look and the value of your asset, whether it be your personal home or your business. Now, Nanoclaire is a spray on coating and it has several key benefits that offer long term protection to your garage doors and your aluminium jewnery. So, as I said, it's a spray on finish and it gives you a smooth and as new finish. We can adjust the gloss level from matts to full gloss, or even apply that texture on the new aluminium jewinery, extrusions on that, on that on the new windows. So Nanoclaire is six times harder than paint and it's highly resistant to scratches. It's also chemical insolvent, resistance, so housewash treatments, bug sprays, sunscreen off your hands, and even graffiti won't stick to the surface. That can all be easily wiped off. Yeah, and like you mentioned, it's UVR resistant, so meaning it won't fade and it'll protect your jowinery for.
Speaker 6: Up to ten years.
Speaker 8: It is impressive, and I suppose especially for houses where maybe you've done a retrofit of the double glazing, it can be a little bit tricky when you've got some old new jowinery side by side, might end up looking a bit patchy.
Speaker 15: Yeah, exactly. Yeah, after retrofitting, we make sure the jewinery is coded evenly so the old areas look just like the new extrusions, avoiding any discrepancy and color that can be obvious with retrifiting. So to do this, we coak the entire window to ensure a uniform like new appearance. This option it not only helps achieve a warmer home at a lower cost than replacing the jewinery, but it also transforms the look of your property.
Speaker 8: Now I've seen your work firsthand, and when you recolored some alminium joinner in a house to a completely different shade. So if you've got an old orange one, but you weren't gray that can you can do that?
Speaker 17: Yeah?
Speaker 15: That's right. Yeah, No, It's incredible how something as simple as just changing the joinery color can give you home a completely new look.
Speaker 6: It's almost as if.
Speaker 15: You've had a major renovation, completely updating their parents. So to do this, we remove all the hardware and the latches, the handles, and that strip out the ceiling rubbers and the opening sashes. We've even take those little furs out of the ranch sliders and fully recolor the joinery. And after we've done even builders can't tell a difference. Plus, we offer an upgrade to modern hardware to replace your handles and latches and just give it a brand new look without the hassle or expense of replacing it entirely.
Speaker 8: Now, Nanoclear operate nationwide, right across the country. How can people get in touch?
Speaker 15: Yeah, just simply visit us at dub dub dub dot, nanocleare dot co, dot and z. We'll come to your site, provide you a quote, and we'll guide you through the process. We have a team of friendly people ready to help make your elumentum jowinery look new again.
Speaker 8: Nanocreas a great solution, Thanks very much, Daniel. So, if your powder coded surfaces are starting to get tired, or you're looking to replace, looking to make them look like new, or change the color of your aluminium joinery or garage doors, contact Nanoclear. That's nanoclear dot co dot m z z B right over. Try and get through quick couple of calls before to break anita. Hello there, Hi, how are you going? Yeah? Very well, thinks.
Speaker 18: My question is I've got a nineteen sixties weatherboard. How this looks like a housing court pouse of that style in that era. I was told five years ago when I purchased it that I may need to replace the roof ridges on the roof at some stage. It isn't a problem yet, but I was really I was just wanting to know can that be done without replacing the clay tiles, because I haven't got an issue with the clay tiles at.
Speaker 8: All for the age of the house. Are you sure it's clay tiles not concrete ones?
Speaker 18: I've been told clay tile.
Speaker 8: Okay. It's interesting because they're not that common at that vintage, right, They're quite common earlier on. So I guess what you Yeah? So let's say that it might actually be a concrete tile, in which case, yes, you can replace roof tiles. This is the great thing generally with concrete tile roofs is that you know individual tiles can be removed and replaced. Ridge tiles that might have broken could be replaced, or in some cases someone might come along lift the ridge, capping up, chip off the mortar, redo the mortar and reuse the if they're in a suitable condition. Reuse the existing roof tiles roof ridges and just replace the ones that might be broken. Sometimes sourcing them can be a bit of a challenge, and obviously whoever does the work, they should be able to offer you a warranty or some sort of guarantee about the weather tightness of the job at the end. But yes, it's definitely repairable.
Speaker 18: Right okay, And as far as establishing who does that sort of work, what's the best way to google? Google that?
Speaker 8: Look, there are a couple of large companies out there, so Edwards and Hardy's. There's a few others if you do a Google search, But someone like Edwards and Hardy's, for example, have been around for a long time, and there might be other specialists in repair and maintenance of existing concrete tile roofs. Yeah, they'll be out there without a debt.
Speaker 18: It's just just in case question.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think it's it's unlikely that you're going to be faced with sort of a complete replacement. You should be able to repair it. All the very best to you, take care of Thanks, Anita, all the best. So after the break, Chris Pink, the Minister for Building and Construction, will be joining me. To be fair, there's a lot of announcements that have been made, including just recently a decision that seventy square meter granny flat will be able to be built without necessarily requiring a building consent and so on. We're not going to touch on that. We're going to be talking about BCA's and we're going to be talking about cowboy builders. So straight after the break we'll take a text if you've got time and if the Minister's got time, But looking forward to a chat with Chris Pink straight after eight o'clock eight thirty. We're into the garden with Red Climb.
Speaker 2: Pasted doing up the house, sorting the garden.
Speaker 1: Asked Pete for a hand as a resident builder with Peter Wolfcap call oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty US Talks Envy.
Speaker 8: Well, very good morning, welcome back to the program. Just gone six and a half minutes after eight. It is my great pleasure this morning to welcome back to the program. We had an opportunity to talk with the Minister of Building and Construction last year on the show, and I reached out recently given that I guess this was fairly clearly signaled there would be a number of changes from this government with regard to building, particularly with a focus on trying to prove efficiency, trying to make it more affordable to build houses in New Zealand. So it is, as I mentioned, great pleasure to welcome back to the program, Chris Pink. Thank you very much for your time on a Sunday morning.
Speaker 2: How are you, Chris, Good morning, Peter.
Speaker 15: It's a pleasure to be with you on the show today.
Speaker 8: Yeah, hey, looking forward to it. And can I just say too, I've really appreciated the fact that I've been to a number of events this year, whether it's a little factory out by the airport in Hamilton with a guy who's doing three D printing, or out at the Stark Windows factory, a little while ago, and you're there and one of the things one of them. Without wanting to ingratiate myself or anything, but one of the feedbacks I get is that you are seemingly genuinely interested in the issue in your portfolio and you're out there talking to people all the time. So good on you.
Speaker 15: Oh well, I really appreciate that. I mean, for my part, I think i'd be mad if I wasn't engaged with You're doing the thing, building the things and knowing the things. Com clearly you know you're everywhere too, so yeah, yeah, setting out those great events.
Speaker 8: And places that we see awesome. Okay, Now, look, there are we could choose from any number of topics, but I promised that i'd stick to two of them. So just in terms of the I suppose you're looking to get efficiency gains in the consenting process. And I guess ever since you've become the Minister for Building and Construction, people have come to you and said it takes too long to get a building consent, and so there's some changes there. Can you just step us through what the changes are likely to be?
Speaker 15: Yeah, I mean there's a really big picture where we ask if the people giving the consents at the moment are the right ones at the moment. Of course, it's your local council and there are sixty six ers days across the country, so that's a big piece of work that we're trying to get to the bottom of. There's the question around whether they should have the liability that they do. Namely, you know, something goes wrong and the builder there's nowhere to be found or genuinely runs out of money, and the events the claim for a defect, then the ratepayers are on the hook. So those are a sort of big picture questions swirling around. But in the meantime, actually from the very start, I thought, well, we need some data to actually understand if the things that people are telling me and it dotally are true, which is that oftentimes they'll apply for content it will take a lot longer than the x tree period, which is to say, what the law sets out of twenty week and days and it dotally, you know, it does take longer than now often because further information will be requested in RFI and it'll stop the clock. And there's a bit of cinisism out there, and maybe sometimes it's justified, but in fairness to the councils, and I did try to make this point a week ago, maybe not clearly enough, but in finners to the council, sometimes they get pretty poor applications for building contents and they think they genuinely need to spend a bit of extra time going back and forth to get to the bottom of that before they can rightly sign those off. So maybe it's a bit on bo sites, but certainly if we can get past that and understand what the incentives on the system, then you maybe we'll lean up with a system that is quicker and if we're more affordable for people who are trying to build on please you.
Speaker 8: I acknowledge that, because again in discussions within the industry, certainly it did feel a little bit like the problem is always with the council. And I'm not here to defend the councils, but I would imagine that they get plans submitted to them that are of poor quality, and so it's quite justified that they stop the clock send out an RFI because the quality is poor. So I guess there is that, and then there's potentially that they are actually taking too long or the processing teams are not able to deal with the workload and that's holding things up. One of the other changes you're talking about is the potential for one portal for the lodgment of building consents. What's the work around that.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I mean that's really important idea to my mind, and just reflecting back actually the thing that people say to me when they're out there trying to do the building work, be it you design professionals. Of course Frital starts having architectural design licensed building practitioners or of course those on the tools and the whole point there is that for those who are operating across more than one council boundary, which is actually many within a region, but also those are operating at a nationwide scale, it has to interact with different systems. It's probably literally different logins and different ways of uploading documents and receiving things back. Just speaks to the bigger problem about the lack of consistency and ease of dealing with different councils across the country. And of course that's a real drag on productivity if we don't enable people to sort of get on and use the same design from one town to the next. And it's part of that bigger picture that we're trying to get past of everything being so bespoke, so one off, and really not able to get the efficiency gains that you should be able to expect. In BETWEENY first and three.
Speaker 8: Is what that single point of contact? What would that look like? So essentially a sort of a central agency that all of your building consents are entered into one portal and then distributed to the bcas.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I mean that that could be one that's more or less the models that we've talked about as a single national B THEA or building Consent authority. But I should note for the sake of completeness, there are a couple of other possibilities that we've been consulting on. One is to have a map of New Zealand drawn with boundaries along regional lines and say, well, if you're within that region, you've got to have a single point of contact or you know, essentially a single maybe a legal entity and separated out from the councils. And then and then the other option would just be sort of a variation of that where some councils actually, to give a lot of credit words due are looking to consolidate those functions already across regional boundaries. So many councils have said, look our mates across the way, you know, we want to sort of see some resources when it comes to creditation or maybe the personnel. You know, a small council particularly and someone goes on lead that that puts them in difficult position. So that's sort of the other kind of big, big model that could be done. But just to really sorry, just to quickly go back to that initial possibility that you've mentioned. I think some sort of national system, whether it's a single IT system and portal and then it gets distributed out is a distinct possibility. And of course the other thing to turn in the mix there would be the possibility of private building contend authorities such as are actually already allowed for in the legislation, but that don't yet exist.
Speaker 8: Right, Okay, So there's there's lots of changes there. And you've mentioned a couple of times we have a large number of BCA's right building con send authorities. So how likely do you think it is that we'll see that number reduced? That there will be, either with their agreement or top down a move to consolidate the number of bcas.
Speaker 15: I would say it's absolutely inevitable that the number will do. Yeah, simply not tenable to have sixty six different interpretations of a single building code, whether or not there are all the way down to one or may or maybe something you know, literally in between.
Speaker 7: It could be.
Speaker 15: I mean, you can imagine thirty regions, for example, and I've just made up that number, sure mathematically, but you can imagine a couple of different nations. But but certainly the biggesting model isn't working, and so do expect it there'll be a lot fewer than our sixty six in terms of what we come up with.
Speaker 8: So in terms of the reporting that you've asked back from the BCAS, I think the first graphic has come out there, you know, with some councils processing most of their consents within twenty days, some taking considerably longer. Are you asking BCAS to report back? Is it every quarter?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 15: Correct?
Speaker 6: Quarter?
Speaker 2: Okay, quarterly?
Speaker 8: What do you hope to achieve by that?
Speaker 15: Well, we want to build up a picture of because what's tepping up there? Because yeah, I mean again anecdotal evidence, you know, it's evidence of a type. But suddenly a lot of people have said to me they get the RAF on the nineteenth day, and they're suspicious and suspicious that right stopping the clock. You've got the councilors who say, oh, we you know, we process everything within the time frame, but you know that the counting as though, you know that the time doesn't elapse when when they're asking for that further information. But in the real word, of course, if you're borrowing money to do a new build, or if you're simply waiting to have the use of the house back, you know that that's not particularly meaningful to hear that. You know, by some technical measure, other times frames have been reached. So it's really a good faith effort to try and get behind that, and also to understand you know, some councils actually managing us pretty well, in others not so much so, just to sort of look at that regial variation, but not in a finger pointing or blame game kind of a way.
Speaker 8: Yeah, okay, because again anecdotally, and I know we've used that phrase a number of times, but you will often hear this where you know, let's say developer working across a couple of different councils will find that he gets different responses from different councils as if there are multiple building codes, but there's not. There's one Building Act and one Building Code, but it seems the interpretation varies, which must be incredible. It is incredibly frustrating.
Speaker 15: Absolutely, I mean that's frustrating for them. But of course, you know, overall, if you think about the system that lacks productivity and has the same you know, per per person our output as we the year nineteen eighty five, it's just crazy and we've got to get past that. And so if you think about the incentives that you know, from a council point of view, again, in the sake of fairness, each of those is its own separate legal entity with all rbility. They can't say, oh, well that you know, the ABC District council down the road approved these plans. They must be fine. You know, they've got to go through that themselves because otherwise they could be on the hook and their ratepayers could bear the burden of something going wrong. So you know, again it's it's fairs to not where the incentives lie. But they're not the right place. Acerson could tell.
Speaker 8: Okay, so we're going to make some changes there by the sound of it, we're going to take a short break, but I'd like to come back and talk about your more recent announcement. And lots of people have text through about the seventy square meter granny flat, but we'll leave that for another day. But I do want to come back and talk about Cowboy builders and what you might be able to do about that in just a moment. So joining me this morning on the program, Chris Pink, Minister for Construction and or Building and Construction, will be back straight after the break.
Speaker 1: Whether you're painting the ceiling, fixing the Feds, or wondering how to fix that hole in the wall.
Speaker 2: Give feeder Wolf Caaba call on eighty. The resident builder on News dog z'b.
Speaker 8: With me on the program is the Minister for Construction and Building and Construction, Chris Pink. Thank you very much for joining us on a Sunday morning. I am getting a bunch of texts and so I just want to do this one first. Take Pete, can you ask the Minister we had private certifiers under the nineteen ninety one Building Act. When the leaky homes happened, they shut up shop and disappeared. If we bring back private certifiers and self certifiers, how will we stop this happening again?
Speaker 19: What's your thoughts, Chris, Yeah, I mean not very fair point that correspondence makes that we desperately need to avoid any kind of lack of quality or assurance.
Speaker 15: So I mean, no decisions have been made in terms of what the system would look like in terms of building concent authorities. But I would just know that actually at the moment when councils get overwhelmed by having too many applications, one of the things they do is they pass them out to private certifiers by a different name or maybe by that name, but not being the building in central authorities themselves, and they do the work and then pass it back to the council, and the council says to the developer, He've got a version of that already is in all of us. You know, what can you do to make sure that you're not going to have some dubius outfit making decisions that are going to leave a consumers such as homeowners or anyone really who's who's who's getting buil vulnerable and in the large nicture of the effects all of people, retirement, savings at stake and soul, we know we've got to get that right, So we're not going to move in any direction that could risk the quality and doesn't It is in fact by you know, pret mechanisms, be it private insurance, maybe public assurance, or a FIDELND or one of those models for example they use in Australia. So we're very mindful of the need not to have either an individual building level defect go no good or bad to going unpunished in that sense, or a system wie failure. God for the the lety bids we.
Speaker 8: Have outs for buildings. I'm guessing you know, as government, you'd go into it with a very different lens than back in nineteen ninety one.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 15: Absolutely, I mean the lesson seemed to me to be pretty well ranged and we're not going to tune the clock back on that. But at the same time, I would also just gently point out that we have a building crisis at this country in this country at the moment, and it's said it costs so jolly much to a lot of can't afford that, and that's not fair to them, it's not good for communities and all the social outcomes. And if you think of kids not tuning up to school because parents have been moved around from one and secure and talk to the next. You know, there's a lot at stake. Were simply as a balance, and we've we've obviously going to try and get that right.
Speaker 8: Okay, the other thing, And again, I'm very aware that there's been a number of announcements and I'm really keen to talk about a whole lot of things, so we'll probably get you on. But I again, but I do want to talk about this announcement with regard to strengthening the disciplinary process for you know, for one of a better term cowboy builders. Right, And I read out a story today, it's in the Herald online, it's in the newspaper today about a couple who lost about one hundred and ten thousand dollars to a builder that took an extra couple of years, left the work unfinished, still hasn't got coded compliance and so on. And so the censure for that particular builder, seventeen hundred bucks hasn't even had a license suspended. So what is it that you want to do? Because to be fair, when I when I heard the announcement, I thought, well, hang on, you're already talking about things that are already there. The disciplinary board's been there, the ability to censure LBPS has been there to implement fines. What's changing?
Speaker 15: Yeah, a very good question, and I just to acknowledge I'm obviously I come in on that case not having read that, but b because I mean number one, it sounds like it's one of very many in the space. So there's a lot of something that's broken at a system level.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 15: Yeah, so we're without knowing as circumstances, it is all too common to hear about this. So so it's a matter of fairness that we do something about that. But actually as well, if I can, just if you're only just indulge me for a moment, to get back into the bigger picture, you know, to the extent that we can be more enabling for trusted building professionals who do have a good track record and and you know, will be accountable and not simply disappear off into the distance of things go badly. If we're going to be more enabling there to beat up with system, we also need to say, well, actually, who cannot be trusted to do that? And where do we actually need to be more you know, accountable and in place greater scrutiny and The answer is, you know, I've used the phrase cowboys, and I know it's a bit club to sort of use that, that that's vernacular, but people do have a good.
Speaker 8: Understand I think everyone knows what you mean. So why not yeah, exactly.
Speaker 15: Yeah, So in terms of what we do, I mean, there are a few different ways you can attack this. One actually is an interesting disconnect I've discovered, which is that whereas council inspectors in building control offices sometimes say we've got some terrible work going on around the past. You know, I've gone out and I've seen some of this, they're not making it up. There are some pretty bad practices out.
Speaker 8: Pretty shorekeepers thing going on.
Speaker 15: Yeah, yeah, that's right. If I talk to the Building Practitioners Board and they say, well, we don't we're not always aware of this, you know. So this is a body that does the disciplinary stuff, but it doesn't get reported to them, and sometimes it doesn't, and it's no requirement for it to be reported. Sure, we're just going to continue to get what we've always had. So that's one. Another thing is to give them the tools that they need in attempts enforcing remedial action, like training orders, which is pretty much.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 15: So sometimes it might be poor performance, but it might be amount of ethics. It might just simply be that a builder doesn't know what he or she is doing, and it's a hod of, you know, basically getting them to come up to scratch and then they can carry on and everyone will be happy going forward. But she is no diary teeth.
Speaker 6: At the moment.
Speaker 15: That so add that to greater disciplinary penalties, which is something we haven't announced, but except to say that we're looking at that as well. Now, I think we start to build up a bit of a picture of how we can have a bit more teeth are for those cowboy builders that are otherwise leaving people very much for rest in some cases.
Speaker 8: Because surprisingly, given that the Code of Ethics for LBPS has been in place since I think October twenty twenty two, I'm still a little bit surprised more alarmingly the builders that I talk to who don't know about it. And then I'm saying to clients these days, if you're contracting with a builder, you should read it yourself, right. It is actually a really good piece of legislation came in twenty twenty two. Familiarize yourself with it because I suspect that most disputes with LBPS are actually around their practice rather than the actual building.
Speaker 15: Yes, I'm sure that's true. Yeah, Yeah, that's interesting. I mean, if if you've found a general lack of out there on that, then there'll be a way to be a problem. But if even some of the other trades without getting to them one by one, don't hit that kind of cod of ethics basis as well, and it's a problem if you want to tell someone to count for, you know, practices that might be around lack of communication or handling of money as opposed to the actual building us themselves in for worknership. As you say, I've.
Speaker 8: Had a number of texts that have complained at the fact that I haven't asked you about granny flats. But what we did decide is that and you are very generous and offering that to come into the studio and do some talk back on this. So we'll pin down a date for that and we'll we'll get you back. And can I also say too, just in that recent announcement, that I think the idea of a waterproofing class for LBPS is good. I think it's been a gap in the system that it seems like now MB's going to plug pardon the pun, about waterproofing for a new waterproofing class. I think that's really good.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I think let's beck and as you say, we can get into many other areas, but thin Granni flips on a future occasion as time allows. But I'm sending me up to the conversation. But can I just acknowledge the point around the waterproofing cost Actually that specifically came out of the consultation on the Grannie fats you. Yes, clearly level entry showers yep, you know, proven that kind of accommodation, and so we listen to that feedback and thought, well, actually this was probably something more generally across the board that we need to provide for.
Speaker 8: Okay, Chris, thank you very much for your time this morning. I'll reach out to your people, they'll talk to my people. We'll get a time when you can come into the studio and we'll let loose the telephone lines and you can have a chat with people here at ZB. Appreciate your time this morning. Pleasure take care. Yes. So in answer to the person that goes what's the text peak, very disappointed in you and zb you're talking to Chris Pink immediately after the seventy square meter granny flat announcement and you're not prepared to ask him questions. This has huge implications property owners and the construction industry. Given that there has been announcement, there should also be the ability to tusk it straight away, not in a month's time. Won't be listening to you again, thank you. I would suggest you do listen because the Minister will come in and we'll talk about it in depth. This is what I decided that we would talk about when I reached out to him two weeks ago prior to the announcement on Friday. Righty, oh, let's go into the garden. A red kline past is standing by. I think he's happily at the departure lounge maybe at christ Church Airport. Will reach out to Ridd and we will talk all things gardening and the wonderful world of bugs. And for those people that call in, here's your incentive. We've got a Clark cultivator. You've heard talk about them. I've used them myself. We've got one of those to give away on the show this morning as well. It is eight point thirty good squeaky.
Speaker 2: Door or squeaky floor.
Speaker 1: Get the right advice from Peter Wolfcamp, the Resident Builder, on News Talks EDB. For more from the Resident Builder with Peter Wolfcamp, listen live to News Talk SEDB on Sunday mornings from six, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio