Speaker 1: I'm Chelsea Daniels and this is the Front Page, a daily podcast presented by the New Zealand Herald.
Speaker 2: Politics is rarely.
Speaker 1: Quiet in New Zealand, but we've seen plenty of upheaval in the last few weeks. Notably, after over a year of protests and thousands of submissions against it, the Treaty Principal's Bill has finally been killed off after being voted down in its second reading in the House yesterday.
Speaker 2: But things are looking up for the coalition, with.
Speaker 1: Two recent polls birming up support for National Act and Ends at first, even if it remains a tight race between the right and left blocks. Now that trade wars and tariffs have shaken up the global economy, what is the government going to focus on to keep their re election hopes alive and labor thrive despite.
Speaker 2: Controversies hitting its partners.
Speaker 1: Today on the Front Page to talk through the latest in politics, we're joined by Newstalk.
Speaker 2: ZB political editor Jason Wolves.
Speaker 1: So, Jason, let's start with the end of the Treaty Principle's Bill. It's fair to say this one has been pretty divisive and a bit of a burden that National has carried so far.
Speaker 2: This term.
Speaker 1: Now that the bill has been voted down, do you think that's the end of it or has David Seymour opened a Pandora's box with this one.
Speaker 3: Well, David Seymour would like to think that this one is coming back. I mean he's been making all these cryptic remarks about this isn't the end of the fight, and we've still got various different things that we can do so or yet to see what that is. And he consistently talks about this is how this is an MMP government and we're an MMP system. So everything is back on the table when it comes to negotiations the next time around.
Speaker 4: But there is almost no way that Christopher Luxen will let this happen.
Speaker 3: I mean, he probably won't say it in public, but he probably does quite regret letting this bill come out in the way that it has. I mean, he has been very forthright in his condemnation of the bill, but that is after it did have its first reading where the Nats voted for it, and the select committee process as well. So listen, it has been somewhat of a weight around Christopher Luxen and National's neck. And in the House yesterday there and PS were talking about how they were happy to see the back of it, and Chris Luxen was saying it's time to move on. So whether we actually are able to move on is really up to David Seymour.
Speaker 1: Well, was it ever good enough that they always said that they were going to vote it down at the second reading?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, to be honest, they didn't always say that it was.
Speaker 4: It was quite unclear.
Speaker 3: In the coalition agreement it did say that they would support it to a select committee, and then after that it was a little bit more ambiguous. And right at the start, the Prime Minister wasn't committing to anything until the situation really turned and he felt the pressure and he got more and more fork right every single week to the point where we have it now where he's talking about how to visit it is and how he wants to see the back of it. Right at the beginning of government, he wasn't talking like that.
Speaker 1: So both the most recent ur and zed Reid research and one Newsvarian polls have shown the Coalition remains ahead, maintaining a two to six seat lead over the Left. Blog what do you think is keeping them at the front of the pack at the moment.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that some of the international trips have certainly helped. I mean people are looking at the fact that Winston is actually quite statesmanly overseas and they like the look of that, and the PM and India and Vietnam.
Speaker 4: Is he's looking quite good on the global stage.
Speaker 3: And there is a sense, you know, that the economy is not in as good a shape as it could be, and there is a sense and the government is certainly trying to be shifting the blame to the Trump administration, saying well, it's because of these tariffs that we're going to see some economic hurts. And it seems like people are hearing that message and receiving it. I mean, Nicola Willis has done well at really fostering that idea. But the other side of politics is people are not liking what they're seeing. On the other side, I mean, labor has been relatively quiet. I would say they haven't put out anything much in the realms of policy. I mean it would be unusual to start seeing that in midway through the term. But you look at the support partners on the left, I mean, the Greens have had one heck of a couple of weeks in terms of bouncing from one scandal to the other, anti party Mahdi with this business of the Privileges Committee and really thumbing their nose.
Speaker 4: At to process at how this all works.
Speaker 3: I think voters would probably look at that and say, I kind of prefer the other guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll get more on those things in a moment. The government has also released its new quarterly plan, with thirty eight things on the to do list, most of which are taking things to cabinet or passing already announced legislation. Do we need to see some kind of bold or at least marginally interesting policy from the government.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean.
Speaker 3: They would probably argue that we're already seeing that, and as a journalist I love to see marginally interesting things come across my desk, so I'll be hoping for that as well. I mean, there are a few things in there that will kind of get generate some headlines, such as changes to the new Zealand driver's license standards. You know, we'd be looking at that to see what is that, How does that affect me, how does that affect people that I know? But I do think on the whole, these quarterly plans are quite good. It gives a really strong indication of what the government's focus is and what's coming next. But it doesn't mean that they're really concreted and wedded to what's happening in the quarterly Plan.
Speaker 4: They can do things outside of that.
Speaker 3: For example, you know, the quarterly Plan didn't have pasta or announce the Defense Capability Plan, but the government did that, you know.
Speaker 4: So they're not.
Speaker 3: Strictly wedded to doing only what is in the quarterly Plan. But the fact that they have a bit of a roadmap is something that's very good when it comes to certainty.
Speaker 1: And that big defense budget commitment. Is that the kind of thing that gets people rushing to the polls.
Speaker 3: In a way yes, and in another way no. And I know that sounds cryptic and doesn't make much sense, but let me explain it. You'll have people that look at the state of the world right now and think it's probably high time that New Zealand does invest more in defense. And our defense force doesn't just blow things up and go to war. I mean a lot of what our defense force does is helps out with initiatives in the Pacific and providing relief after disasters. So that is critically important because New Zealand does have a responsibility in the Pacific to do those sorts of things. But on the other hand, I mean, it makes it a lot easier for opposition parties to say you're spending twelve billion dollars on defense, but you're not funding X policy that would have why impact on child poverty. So would It's going to make things a lot easier for the left to attack the government. But I think they're probably happy to wear this because I think that more people than not understand that this is a critical need for this sort of taxpayer funding.
Speaker 5: Let's bring up the preferred prime minister numbers now. Christopher Luxen is up one but at twenty three percent, he's still facing a tough crowd. Chris Hipkins is up three points to twenty percent, his highest result in a year and a half. Winston Peters continues his party strong results, up two points on seven percent. Meanwhile, down two points is Chloe Swallbreck on four percent, the co leader under pressure last week over the Benjamin Doyle scandal, taking an even bigger hit though David Smore down three points to three percent. The school Lunch's minister getting a serve of his own.
Speaker 1: So the one use poll in particular, how a two percent rise for Winston Peters. This comes after the Deputy PM came out swinging against things like DEI policies and trans riots. Do you think that is actually resonating with voters or given he stops being Deputy PM next month, do you think he's just getting started on his whole campaign mode.
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And I think that identity politics and these sorts of issues will become more prevalent as we get to the election. And Winston Peters has seen that this works for him. It's not just this time, but he's seen it throughout his entire career as well. So I would absolutely be banking on Winston to continue beating this sort of anti DEI. I mean, he just learned the word woke, so he's going to be rallying against that sort of thing as well.
Speaker 1: So he's learned a few words this week he has he has in.
Speaker 3: Terms of the Benjamin Doyle saga, there is one word that he learned that he hasn't been able to explain to us, the meaning of which Chicklam quite grateful to not hear. The An eighty year old man described that but in terms of what he wants to do next, I would say absolutely these identity politics is going to be the front of New zealand first initiatives.
Speaker 1: It's his eightieth birthday this week, making him the oldest serving politician in Parliament. He's just six years shy of Walter Nash's record. He was eighty six when he died, still serving his constituents. Now do you think Peters is still in this for the long haul. There's been not a mutter, not a murmur about retirement or succession plans publicly, at least if.
Speaker 3: You started talking about the succession plans, first person that would come at you would be Winston Peters. I mean, you say his name three times in a row, spin around and he appears behind you to tell you how you're a bad journalist because you didn't ask this question or you have the wrong focus on that, and he is still doing it well. I mean he is one of the best, if not the best foreign ministers New Zealand has ever seen.
Speaker 4: He's well respected.
Speaker 3: By not just m fact but by other diplomats around the world and other people in government, so on that side of things, he absolutely has more to go. It really depends on the next iteration of government. I think that he could probably keep going if he was a minister, I think he would have a lot harder of a time in opposition. And I don't think that Winston has another term in opposition in him, but I think that he's probably more than willing and able to do another term in government well.
Speaker 1: Looking at the other side of the aisle, Labor leader Chris Hopkins continues to poll decently. The gap between them and National isn't huge, but if Labor wants to get back in next year, they'll need the Greens in Tibati Maldi right. In the last two weeks, though, Green MP Tamotha Pole has come under fire from some waters for her views on policing.
Speaker 5: And I want to acknowledge the people that enter the police force with the hope of changing things, because that system has rotten in many ways.
Speaker 1: And her fellow MP, Benjamin Doyle, of course, has been in the eye of a storm of controversy over some old social media posts. So Bussy is a reference to me, as I've said, Pussy ga Law is a wordplay of the character from the James Bond novel Goldfinger. Pussy Galore and then going back to the Treaty Principal's bill you mentioned before, to Batty Maldi and PE's have refused to face the Privileges Committee over that Hakker from last year. How do you think all of this has gone down in the Labor camp?
Speaker 3: Oh? I know that the Labor Party is not happy about it. I know that they've what they're think publicly. I mean, Chris Hopkins came up very strongly against Tamotha Paul, calling her comments stupid, and since then Tarmotha Paul is actually fired back at Chris Hepkins.
Speaker 4: So there's a lot of friendly.
Speaker 3: Fire going on that doesn't actually look particularly friendly. Tamatha Paul did actually acknowledge that she would not be the police minister if there was a government, and that probably should have been obvious. There's absolutely no way that somebody like Tamotha Paul should be in charge of the police after making those sorts of comments. And you know, I will admit there have been a lot of people that have come out and said that she was correct to say what she did in terms of some of the contexts around people that don't feel safe with police. But that is the comment of an opposition MP, not to the comment of somebody who is the police Minister in waiting, and Ginny Anderson obviously would probably assume that Mantle again should Labor win the election, and she's still around when.
Speaker 4: That does occur.
Speaker 1: And do you reckon Labor being so vocal about those comments like you said, but then on the other hand so distant from the whole Benjamin Doyle saga, do you reckon they think that they can win the majority by themselves potentially next year.
Speaker 3: I think that that sort of ship has sailed in terms of a majority. I mean, we saw in twenty twenty the just our durn government achieve an unprecedented majority in the House. They didn't need coalition partners, they could have done it all themselves.
Speaker 4: We will never.
Speaker 3: See that again, I don't think, and I think that the circumstances in which the fostered that will probably not happen again. And listen, I might be wrong. It could happen again. I could have egg on my face, but it's extremely unlikely. So Labor know that they need to play nice with the Greens and Tea Party Marty, but I also do know that it's behind the scenes especially with Tea Party Marty. There is a lot of concern because Tea Party Marty are very radical and the government will try in the next election campaign to paint them all with the same brush, to say, a vote for Cruscipkins is a vote for Tea Party. And look at what TI Party Marty are doing, which is great for Tea Party Marty. I mean, they've managed to gather support since they've been.
Speaker 4: In Parliament at a rate of knots.
Speaker 3: But it doesn't help the wider left coalition, but it does help the party itself.
Speaker 1: And of course the biggest political news in the world right now is the US tariffs and the subsequent shakeup of the global economy. What sort of challenge do you think this means for our government?
Speaker 4: Oh, it's a big challenge for them.
Speaker 3: We saw earlier this week with Chris Lutson and Nikola Willis coming out and giving these sort of impromptu stand ups about the state of the economy, and Nicola Willis in particular was doing her utmost to say this is because of the tariffs. The government is here to help, the government is got to plan. The government's plan is working, but these tariffs really throw a Spanner and the works there. So they're worried because obviously the budget was very tight, already operating allowance of two point five billion dollars.
Speaker 4: That's new money going into the budget.
Speaker 3: Grant Robertson was closer to three and a half four billion dollars, So there's already a lot of money that they don't have. You already don't have a lot of money to extra money to play with. So the fact that the economy is going to be hit like this will hit tax revenues. And as tax revenues are hit, it means the government has less money as well. So obviously you can see why they're worried about this because people vote based on the economy for a lot of them, and if you're not feeling good, you're going to take that out on the government.
Speaker 4: It doesn't matter if it's Trump's fault.
Speaker 6: We've looked across government, both at an individual department or agency level and across government as a whole, and we've seen not just so much what are the areas that are completely wasteful, but where are the areas where there was a good intention. But actually, when we measure it up in the cold light of day, these dollars are not delivering as much as they could elsewhere. So there's a number of areas we've looked at. Will make them all clear on budget day. But one thing is a theme of the budget, which is that the public service isn't going to get more funding for doing the same thing. There is only more funding if new Zealanders are going to benefit from additional services or improved impact from those services.
Speaker 1: And in terms of that bad jet, I mean, how much where they've got little to no regal room, don't they? But what are the chances of them completely changing it within the next couple of weeks. I mean, you know, we don't know what is happening our tower with the US tariffs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: It's always a risk that that happens, but we probably wouldn't know. There's nothing more secret in politics than the budget process and the preparation, So if there were some big tectonic changes happening behind the scenes, we.
Speaker 4: Probably wouldn't know what those were.
Speaker 3: Nicola Willis would give us an inkling that that would be happening.
Speaker 4: She does.
Speaker 3: She's quite good at dropping what I like to call fiscal breadcrumbs when it comes to laying out what's happening with the government. She'll softly, softly start talking about how times are tough and international, what we're seeing, and how much it costs the government to pay back some of its some of the debt that it's taken on. So I imagine that she would definitely let us know the tenor of the budget has changed, but I don't think we'd be very likely to know how much it has changed since it was put together at the beginning or at the end of last year.
Speaker 1: And Australia is of course gearing up for an election, and a few months ago it looked like Anthony Alberzi would be a one term PM, but now the polls have narrowed, with Labor back in the lead. Similarly, in Canada, we reported earlier this year on Justin Trudeau's resignation and the expected wipeout of his Liberal party. Now The Economist reports that the Liberals under the new PM, Mark Karney, are enjoying one of the largest polling surges in political history. The New York Times has called it the Trump bump, benefiting moderate leaders. Who do you think might benefit from this election in twenty twenty six, Perhaps, well.
Speaker 3: It's an interesting one because both chris Is are both moderate leaders, and Chris Luxon and Nicola Willis will definitely run on a don't rock the boat sort of platform. But again, I mean, if you have to look at the shape of the government and who would be the most I'm not chaotic, but who would be the hardest bedfellows to work with. I mean, say what you will about Winston Peters and David Seymour, but they have worked together well. The government hasn't fallen apart. There have been some issues school lunches notably, but they also agree to disagree at times. And one of the great things that the Prime Minister did when crafting this coalition agreement was he allowed those support parties to be themselves and so New Zealand First still has a very much New Zealand First identity.
Speaker 4: They didn't just adopt.
Speaker 3: The government and become some gray shadow of what they once were.
Speaker 4: They're still New Zealand First.
Speaker 3: Likewise, with the Act Party, voters are now used to that and it's not actually all that scary as it was before the elections to a lot of people.
Speaker 4: Looking at the other side, I think.
Speaker 3: That there will be still and going back to the point that I made before a lot of concern around a government with Tipati Marti and the Greens, given the perspective that of a lot of people that those two partners are getting more and more radical.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us, Jason, no problem ador. That's it for this episode of the Front Page. You can read more about today's stories and extensive news coverage at enzherld dot co dot nz. The Front Page is produced by Ethan Sills and Richard Martin, who is also a sound engineer.
Speaker 2: I'm Chelsea Daniels.
Speaker 1: Subscribe to the Front Page on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts, and tune in on Monday for another look behind the headlines.