Speaker 1: You're listening to the Marcus lush Night's podcast from Newstalks.
Speaker 2: A'd be.
Speaker 3: Greetings in good evening. Yes, not Operation Midnight Hammer, but Operation Midnight Chatter. Will talk till twelve. If you want to partake, you're welcome. You're welcome to partake, You're welcome to listen. I reckon it's probably going to be a three topic night. I got no idea why it's going to be three time. That's just what I suspect. I feel there's no singular topic going to dominate everything. We'll keep an eye on the cease fire, very complicated, the old three headed beast, which is the cease fire. So obviously the next four hours i'll keep you update on that. If anyone breaks that, I don't think it. Actually it didn't even enforce until now, but I never know what constitutes breaking it. But we're all across that tonight till twelve. Some of you will be interested in that also too. There's three things I want to start off with. Actually I don't normally start with a trident, but I feel that's kind of what we've got to do tonight. I feel that's what we've got to do. It's thirty years since the Rugby World Cup final in South Africa with Nelson Mandela and the Springbok jersey and the cap presenting the cup to the winner with Francois Piena nineteen ninety five. You might have been there, and that would be great to hear from you. If you were there, it was history. Probably if you look back in time and want to have gone to one rugby match, that was probably it, although the All Blacks didn't win obviously. But yes, there's been movies. I mean, there are many games that there have been movies made about, so you might have been there. I want to know what it was like, the tour before the match and that final match also, So if you're there, very happy to talk about that, because of course I just emerged from the isolation of the apartheid era and they played there, so anyway, it was huge thirty years ago, so I don't ah, I kind of remember watching it. So if you're part of that, that's something you want to talk about, feel free to come through. The Other thing I'm really curious to know about, right And as I said, there's probably be a three topics start tonight. The Bugger in the terrible name. This is Noel Edmonds pub. Now, if you don't know Nol Edmonds, he was everywhere in the nineties with Nol House Party and mister Blobby. It was kind of unwatchable, but I think people us even watched it because it had been a phenomenon in England, and I mean light tenth there was sort of Barrymore, Michael Barrymore and Noel Edmonds. Funny enough, both of them have moved and you've seen it at some stage of their life. I don't know what that tells you about them, but anyway, but Noel Edmonds is near Motorweka now nar Nelson. I don't think it's actually called that. It's called something else the town where he is. But he's got a well, he's got a number of businesses with pubs and restaurants and the like, and he's done a TV series about them, which is a bit like Clarkson's Farm.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: Anyway, my question is is it any good? Have you been there? What's it like? He says he's hemorrhaging money, and there's not much sympathy for that because I think probably he was in the head not so long ago for grizzling or being a bad and I can't remember what it was, but if you've been there, I'm curious to know what that's like. He eventually went to Matakhana and now he's in the Motawaka Valley. So if you've been there to his pub, the bugger In, or the restaurant or the Vineyard, wouldn't I know what it's like. If you've don't experience that, is it worth a trip? He spent thirty mil on it, and now he's made a TV series about it now eight hundred and eighty ten eighty and nineteen. I think it's a terrible name for a pub, the bugger In. It's not even clever. But anyway, it's just me. So if you've been there, let me know what it's like. That's two things I can ask you about tonight. And the third I'm just trying to work out what the name of the town is because I want to get that's right. Oh, it just looks like flat farm man doesn't even look that extraordinary the landscape. Oh, now I can see where it is. No, I've got the wrong one. It's brought up something wrong on my map, So I apologize for that. I was looking at the one on Piaco. But yes, if you want to come through and talk about that. Eight hundred eighty ten eightyan nine two nine two to text. So that's what we are on about tonight. Anyway, I will find out where it is, so get in touch, as I say, oh, eight hundred eighty ten eightyan nine two nine two to text. Now I want to also talk about people that have never had smartphones. We might save that for a little while. Don't know how long will save that for, but we might just save that one. Jason, it's Marcus. Welcome and good evening.
Speaker 5: How are you good?
Speaker 3: Thank you Jason?
Speaker 6: Excellent, No, and yes, my goodness to me. Growing up in the UK, I recall him.
Speaker 7: The first time I recall him was Saturday Morning.
Speaker 6: Swapshop, which was a kid's TV show. He was a legend. I grew up with him. But unfortunately it turns out that he's not who we imagined he was really Yeah, well yeah, I'm kind of disappointed. I thought he was a good sword and it turns out he's not.
Speaker 3: I think that's TV people, particularly kids hosts, that become I mean, who'd want to be a kid's host anyway? For a start, that's a weird thing to want to be.
Speaker 6: And then let's not go down that.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, I mean look at was he was? He the BBC ITV.
Speaker 8: To be honest, I think probably it TV square enough for me.
Speaker 7: Yeah, okay, he's not.
Speaker 6: Proper enough for the beab.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 3: I was just thinking along the lines of who they have hit at the BBC as kid hosts, and they've been shocking. Anyway, have you made have you made a four? Ready to go and see his place?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 8: I haven't.
Speaker 6: Actually, it's probably best I don't because I can't believe I've got anything polite to say.
Speaker 3: Well, I appreciate you coming through anyway, Jason. Then we'll get off here while we can anyway. Willet's Marcus, welcome in good evening?
Speaker 11: Good is that may?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I will Gooday.
Speaker 11: I just wanted to say I wanted to take now off of it here.
Speaker 12: I am.
Speaker 11: I live in the Nelson region and I've got beehos all over his property. Oh good, Yeah, I've I've been working with now I'm muzzy and good bag of this way to get along with him really well, and he's been been really good for the community and to me but yeah, that's I'm a good runs. He's just think it's just a bit. That's like a people taking the person taking advantage of my face. That yeah, to f my twoth ins in there.
Speaker 3: So what's he got there? Is the risk that I see on the on the internet. The restaurant says it's temporary closed. Is anything open there?
Speaker 11: Uh, they're not too sure. I know they have they kept in a Yeah, I didn't realize.
Speaker 8: The pub was closed.
Speaker 3: River Haven temporarily closed, so I don't know why. But that doesn't say the bagger run that might be open.
Speaker 11: I'm not too sure. The last I was there, I had a pipe here and you know the pubbles there, but really really fun.
Speaker 3: Is it quite busy?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 13: Not?
Speaker 11: When I was there, there's a lot of bikes that come through there. A lot of the people got drafted, not really high in that and they stopping for a pint and and yeah that's over crowds. Did they only opened nothing on weekends? Maybe Friday, said day.
Speaker 3: Because it's actually quite it's not the world's most popular spot. It's quite out of the way, isn't it.
Speaker 11: Yeah it is, yeah, Yeah, there's it's probably Yeah, it's probably thirty forty minutes from Richmond.
Speaker 8: Some reasons.
Speaker 3: Okay, oh good, and your bees are there. Your bees are there to fertilize the good are they They're not they're gathering honey. They're there to fertilize it. That the way it works.
Speaker 11: Both are the pollinad and they've got a mess of garden up top and pollen aiding their fruit trees and that. Yeah, and Losie loves das and and all that. So and yeah, they've they've got a bit of honey. So we've put off a cup of honey and know we're selling it. I'd say, I'm not too sure what the plant is there?
Speaker 5: What's the honey?
Speaker 3: What's what's the honey? Predominantly it's awesome gold.
Speaker 11: That's a mixture of sort of honey, Joe, there's a bit of minoka nuka there. It's kind of more of distant honey. What we call it autumn gold because it's been a miss of this sort of stuff on there.
Speaker 3: Okay, thanks for that. Natti Moti is where it is by the way too, that's or the Motorwacre Valley. Keep the calls coming through. I'm curious if you've been there, Bugger in eight hundred and eighty ten eighty, he's played thirty million goodness. You need a good return on it. You wouldn't you think you need to be open more than just the weekends Ape. You'ist good people, Marcus, there we go. This is great, Marcus. I was redisappointed in the pace the National anth and was sung at the Chief Crusader's Final. Too slow like a dirge? What did you think you might have been too picky? Best wishes, Mary, You're not being picky at all, Merry. The trouble is the song's not good and it is dirge like even at the Olympics when its Oh, I can feel the energy being drained out of my body ther it is a dirge, a durgae. It's not a good song.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I don't think we should change it because it's ours, but it's not a banger. Some anthems are bangers. Some anthems are bangers. Ours is far from it. Our anthem is a It feels like your spirit has been drained from you throughout the course of the song. I feel like I'm being deflated. It's just hasn't got a good beat, and I'm not a musical person. I just know I don't like that anyway. It's fine now, Mary, people are agreeing with you. She's right. It was killed on Saturday. Who sung it?
Speaker 10: Who sung it?
Speaker 3: I don't really have a sweepstack. Was it Lizzie Marvelli or was it who was it sung it? Just if y either two people at the national anthem at the Crusaders Final. They did it in two minutes and seven seconds. Two minutes seven seconds. Just for a comparison, the great Hailey Western Ra seventeen years ago, fifteen years ago, thirteen years and fifteen years ago thirteen she did it in one fifty seven, in fact, one fifty two. So Hailey does it fifteen seconds? Quicker? You want to do it less than two minutes. Basically, if you're over to you're just you're milking it. That's my take on that one anyway. But you don't know if they're any good singers. I think one of them is from pop Stars. It was Jenkrmene and Michael Kuriesa, Shane Marcus, welcome, Marcus, how you got good? Shamee?
Speaker 14: Hey where I'm from? Two minutes is a long time just saying yeah, yeah, hey, nol Edmonds, I might have come in halfway through that story. Yeah, the context for you is it is it just about him been down there and having a bit of money and trying to make a living.
Speaker 15: Is that what the story is about.
Speaker 3: I just asking if the restaurant and the bar were any good.
Speaker 14: I've been there a number of times. The restaurant and the bar are fantastic. He's actually quite a bit operator our business, does a little bit of business with them. I haven't seen him for twelve months, but he's a good investor, does a lot for that area, brought a few rundown properties, and I think he's done quite a good job. But I'm not sure where the negativity comes from. Maybe it's tall foppy Kiwi syndrome.
Speaker 16: I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: I'm not hearing the negativity. I was just curious because I see there's a lot of publicity of the UK for his TV series. Now, why when you're seventy five would you do a TV series about what you're doing? I don't know the answer to that, do you no?
Speaker 14: I think much you have been in the limelight. He has for most of his life been out of it. Probably hurts, you know. I don't think a lot of New Zealanders understand how successful he is or was in the UK, and it might even be a coup someone like him and his wife moving to New Zealand investing a few million bucks. So maybe in England he's a very popular man.
Speaker 3: Is that right? Okay?
Speaker 14: So there's he started with Blue Peter and he's one of the original founders off Top Kit way before Clarkson.
Speaker 3: Mh goodness.
Speaker 14: Really, if you research Noel Edmonds what he's done for television in the UK, you'll have a heart attack.
Speaker 12: Man, he's right up there.
Speaker 14: He is the men very interesting character, made a lot of money over a long time and invested an awful lot of New Zealand. Lots of New Zealand businesses have benefited from him being here and having a crack if. He's a very good operator.
Speaker 3: So he does he work in the restaurant ah.
Speaker 14: But he's pretty hands on. He's got some land pretty sensey land rovers to other little high end vehicles, couple of jacks and he knows what he's doing. He won't die wondering and he's got some money he doesn't mind spending.
Speaker 3: So what's your connection with him? Shane?
Speaker 14: Just run a small business up in the North Island that makes steel kinks and he has some businesses that require skill and he chose our company to supply them. And I've just dealt with him since then, and he's always been really good to deal with.
Speaker 3: Steel Texis loves still tanks for vehicles or for wine or something.
Speaker 14: I know, diesel. Thanks good operation.
Speaker 15: The one is a green.
Speaker 14: He's like, you know, he's a battery objectors around Marcus.
Speaker 3: Oh, I know, Shane. I'm not trying to be tricky. I'm just talking to is like a puzzle. I'm just saying, what what's he need the diesel tanks for? Is it for his vineyard or something?
Speaker 14: Yeah, he's got a lot of orchards and some other properties down there that would require machinery to be operating at all at all times.
Speaker 3: Okay copy that twenty six past eight eight hundred and eighty ten eighty nine to text Marcus. If you've ever heard the noise that the little penguin makes that lives around the Golden the buggering in is quad an app name for that pub whatever that means. Keep your texts coming through nine two nine two to text Marcus till twelve a rugby World Cup Final nineteen ninety five, this day thirty years Marcus I was at the game on Saturday with the Crusaders and Chiefs. Sion one hundred sent agree with other cause and testers texters that that was the worst rendition ever of the national anthem. Incredibly slow. There are about three different speeds coming from the different areas of park. It was just awful, Marcus Smiths said, is anthem, but never know what's the triple star? Love the Raoh we should forget about the English cheers Mary Gee Mary, that's a controversial text for earlier the night it'll happen Marcus private Heady Adams has produced a rebust tradition of the internationally the on two occasions at the wonderful afl Ensics ceremony prior to the Collingwood Essendon match on April twenty fifth. Also the this is the different text. Also the speed thing definitely makes a difference too, Like when Happy Birthday song starts at toddler party, it's always about half the speed it should be. Plus people can sing. Probably if it's faster, they're less anxious for it to hurry up and finish. Marcus, it's time for shape shifter and brook Phraser to co lab on a new national anthem. Very slow, Hey, the old anthem. They're rigged it. Oh hell, I don't know who's the musical directly ss that go out there and eratio, get it done. One beat, Hayley Western go in one forty five. You're done and dusted. If you want to comment on that also too, be kind. That sounds like a disaster. Maybe they did it deliberately to put the chiefs off their step. You never know these days prematch entertainment. They might have rigged it. Tell you what, we'll have no cowbells, will sing the anthem frustratingly slow, will put them off their spot. Anyway, get in touch marks till twelve. If breaking news breaks, will be here breaking it Operation midnight Hammer, not quite but midnight chatterheadle twelve. Seven minutes ago, Israel Defense minister says he has ordered a tack on Iran after claiming Tehran has violated the ceasefire. Well that was quick cheapers, by the way. According to the BBC website, Iran has denied firing at Israel could be one of their proxies. Marcus and his anthems should be changed to air poor by Prince Toui tek it's a banger. Oh yes, I'm familiar with his backcannon. That is a great song. That's one of the great songs of all time. Then someone wants I want POI air for our national anthem. So no one happy with that. I don't think anyone would have the guts in the current government to change the anthem. They tried the flag and it backfired. But maybe that's what we need to do. Sing it frustrating, he siding and can people will get jack of it, Marcus. Maybe they need a drum and bess remix of it. Base it's twenty twenty five, after all, the kids would go nuts. UT's nay ah gee, we're back with it. And I haven't brought this up the anthem. Just don't put me on a cross. This is not me saying we should change it. This is the people. There's Jean valjeaning it's the people singing the songs of angry men. Why would they have the national anthem for a lie? And I thought that's probably slightly pompous, is it anyway? Get in touch on a Torkettil twelve Rugby World Cup thirty years ago, the winning one at South Africa Elis pak Is. They always call it, Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty just a text here, Mark, I just did some quick research. Edmonds had nothing to do with Blue Peter, nothing to do with starting top gear, but did host two series of it. The guy is wrong, he said, do the research. Backfire, Marcus. We don't need to change the anthem, just speed it up. It's not a funeral, it's a celebration. Maybe they chose singers that were unsuitable for the tempo. I don't know the people. I don't know what their directions were. But you want to do it quick, in and out, that's my take. I mean the British, God bless them. They do a lot wrong. But I'll tell you what that God Saved the King. Gee, that's quick. Flip your in and out about thirty seconds. What would be the world's shortest national anthem? Do you reckon? I'll google that up, thank you very much. It's probably God Save the King. I think he used to be God Save the Queen, well, which would be long long. And they're both one syllable words, aren't they. Apparently Japan is one of the oldest and shortest anthems in the world. Cam Iago yep, camiyaga, kimigaio seems to be the shortest in the world. Go figure. I'm just desperutly trying to find out how long it is. Some Wikipedia are a wonderful thing. Only pears to have ten words. May you reign continue a thousand and eight thousand generations until the tiny People's ground A mess of boulders. Lush with moss. That's the eendlish translation. Of course that's my surname. So I'm excited about that. Lush with moss. I don't know how long it is, by the way, might be a minute, six in and out, four lines, threety two characters. Oh dan? Is that on the quiz? Lush?
Speaker 17: No?
Speaker 3: What's the shortest national anthem in the world? Lush with moss? Why is that not on the chase? What is the shortest national anthem in the world? There you go, lines free, It's a fiesta. Get in touch, Marcus still twelve Operation Midnight Chatter. I'll get you there, Marcus. All three blokes we've phoned and have had poor audio setups. That's right. That's why I wonder if it was someone one person doing sort of voice detection. There you go, get in touch. Mainly, what people are furious about is the anthem. I haven't heard any discussion on that. That's normally I'm up for anthem scandal. But yeah, and you got to say, you know, Western rass sat the bar so high that I'd walk away. I know a lot of people like Judd Arthur. They love Judd Arthur, didn't they because he was a opera singer and a rugby player. You don't think he was strongly a pined on the David Bain situation, wasn't here? Memory serves me right, and my memories normally fairly good with Arcania like that ARCANEA. What's the longest anthem? Then? Yeah, there will be ones that go I think our one's goes forever. There's more verses, but we don't do those.
Speaker 18: Hi, Mary Hallo Marcus.
Speaker 13: I'm so pleased that I got the response that I did, because I thought, perhaps I'm just an eighty two year old Twitter's too narrow minded and not quite was the world that think of the French national anthem.
Speaker 3: Browsing one of the French one. They've just about won the game as they stand there they cry, and it's so moving.
Speaker 13: I know that. Yeah, No, I was just I put my actually put my head in my hands when it was it was being I thought, I can't believe that he's ever organized this, has done it, has done this. So let's hope that the next time we play the All Blacks or whoever, that they live and it up a bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's terrible. The players don't sing it, no one's into it. It's a dad let's face it as a dud what it is?
Speaker 8: Yes on, Mary?
Speaker 3: Are you a Crusaders supporter, Well, look I.
Speaker 13: Can tell you another little story. I'm actually a Chief supporter. I was a real Frian. I was a real fan of Damien. But I did something really quite weird once when the tech camera was on him and he swore explicitly. So I sent off a text to the the Chief's management saying, you know, all these young kids are watching these games, and you know some of these rugby players they should be aware of what the impression they're giving. So you know, once again, perhaps I am the rabbit now who finds his older lady.
Speaker 3: A bit of a Karen move there texting the boss because he swore. That's Pete Karen, that's amazing. Did you get a reply?
Speaker 13: No, well I just got a standard reply. But anyway, the joke of it was that a friend of mine said, if Damien comes on the field and sticks his finger up in the air, hell, yo, it's at me.
Speaker 9: And then the.
Speaker 13: Next time, after I'd said this text, he didn't pay for two weeks. So I was head of a lot of people having the odor bells. It's all your fault.
Speaker 3: You're not saying how do you get the how do you get how do you have the chief's phone number?
Speaker 13: You just know I sent an email, So I just did it through their management through an email. So you know, it's amazing what happens when you know, I do a bit of investigation on these magic phones.
Speaker 3: There he goes, was it the air word? That's all they say, isn't it word?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 13: And you know when the camera's right on them and it's so explicit and it's not means reference. I mean, we know how they feel. I must feel pretty dead.
Speaker 3: To say fidget spinner or something. You know, he should be more responsible. He's got a liquor company and things. He should be more responsible. That's a bad example.
Speaker 13: Isn't it absolutely good that you agree with me?
Speaker 3: Good Mary, I'll pick Carroen. They're cheapest creepers, Marcus. Nothing tops God save the King at twicken and with eighty thousand Arabi clans seeing at the top of their lungs, amazing, have to be there, Marcus, congrats on Duned and retaining their airport's international status. They should give North and South Islands fraud national airports each Ironically, when you go on air tomorrow, sky Open TV will air world's most scenic railway Durneys Bore the inlander and the seasider through the Taidi Gorge, the greatest traine trip in the country. Maybe we should night on the things you've complained and texted people about. But gee, emailing David Mackenzie's boss because he swore that's kind of next level ownership, isn't it. You might want to comment on that. Eight hundred and eighty to eighty nineteen to nine. My name is Marcus. Welcome looking forty. I will keep you updated with the cease fire, although how would you know? Oh what are the latest updates? Iranian state media vision response to Israel's exis of the country breaking arrests implemented ceasefire, denying reports that fired missiles at Israel after the ceasefire came into effect, and israel Is vowed to strike targets in the heart of Tehran after Iran violated a ceasefire hours after it went into effect. So yep, you're not what there used to be the ceasefires, Marcus aid, anthem last Saturday night. All I remember is the young woman standing there in the shortest dress at a rugby final. Come on, a bit of decorum, please, very inappropriate for the event, plus it being the worst rendition of the anthem day, always shaving for them for what they wear. Now, goodness, Marcus, she would be hard to beat Ireland's call, but the Sri Lankan anthem at the cricket is rather upbeat. I would love ours to be Dave Dobbin slice. I don't like Slice of Heaven. Yeah, I don't like that. It's a bit too. I mean, I like Dobbin, but not Slice of Heaven. Of course, Ireland's call because it was hoops with Dave Dobbin. Ireland's call is not an anthem e, there is it? Can I say that? I don't think Ireland's calls. It's a great song, but it's only because the Republic of Ireland and the part of the UK that's Northern Ireland come together for rugby. I need a special song. There you go, Marcus. Can we talk about school speeches? Finding my topic? Hard day in the life without technology? How about where's your punctuation for that text? Marcus? I've been to many global sporting events. Nothing beats Cardiff Arms of the Welsh people beautifully singing with passion and in tune. Gary doesn't help their rugby though, does it. That's the trouble with them, too much effort on the singing. The top topic seems to be the stand of the anthem at the rugby final. I don't even know why they needed the anthem at the rugby final. And while they had two people singing it, but apparently Freevere slow two minutes and seven seconds Western radd in one fifty two, so yeah, it is slow. I don't know what their brief was, but there we go. People went happy with it. I don't know if it was deliberate, ah, but it's just one of those songs. You get it wrong, you get it so wrong, you get it wrong. It seems like a wet week. It's slow. Don't know what the answer is. Anyway, you might want to comment on that. Noel Edmonds, if you've been to his restaurant, that is good also too, to talk about that too tonight. The Rugby World Cup thirty years ago. You might have been at that final. Curiously what it was like touring around South Africa in nineteen ninety five as they got welcome back into world rugby? Haha? Anything else? Also the ceasefire you might have your hot reckons on that doesn't appear to be holding. But we don't really know. I don't know who is the impartial observer to tell us stuff from there. But we'll keep you updated with that. Also, there is something different you want to mention brilliant get amongst it? Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty the way the boy racers and live in They are saying that they've got nowhere else to go. They're getting pinged for doing convoys. The men said they are frustrated authorities sought to crack down on them but gave them no affordable to go. One day at Manfield is probably just under a grand Why does skaters have skate parks. Footballers have football fields. Why do rugby players have rugby fields? They want somewhere they can go boy races. Well done of the response that you might want to comment anyway, Bridget, this is Marcus. Welcome good Marcus, tell you good, Bridget.
Speaker 19: I just wanted to make the comment about the Levin boy racers. Now, I mean, I'm middle aged now and plus, but haven't we been hearing it about these boys for a long time now? We should we should really be embracing their boy racer thing that they're happening in live In and just get behind them instead of just like pushing them to the site.
Speaker 3: Like good branding for the town. Because we all know about the Levin boy racers a.
Speaker 19: Well, they're kind of like a movement now. They've been around for like a decade or so, haven't they.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Well, this isn't Are you from there?
Speaker 19: No, I'm not, but I mean, yeah, I'm not. I could be wrong, but at least five years, right, yeah, yeah, So I'm just I just don't know why we don't just give them somewhere to race. They're not going to stop racing. They're obviously well entrenched now and just just lay off them, you know. I mean, we're better off policing it than we are to be not giving them anywhere to do their they're.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I appreciate it. So you're catching yourself out with the phone on that, with your ready on that caught you up. I think you make some valid points. Thank you, Nigel, Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 20: Good evening.
Speaker 3: Then, young Nigel, my name is Marcus, not Nigel.
Speaker 20: Okay, yeah, sorry Marcus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm not young. Don't pete calling me young anyway, what did you want to say?
Speaker 20: I was going to say, I'm going to challenge you on the best rail journey in New Zealand. I reckon it's the christ the Graymouth terribly after after a good dumping of snow, it's just marvelous.
Speaker 3: There and back there and beck in a day. The people are kind of poking their eyes out with boredom by the end of it.
Speaker 20: But that's the same with Tory. Gorgeous.
Speaker 3: No, that's as sure. That's a couple of hours up, a couple of hours back. It's brilliant, it's perfect.
Speaker 20: Or the other option, as you get off the train, wherever's a middle march or booker rang and do the cycle trail.
Speaker 3: A yeah, no, I yeah, I just think that I always support the Tayry Gorge because there's run. You know, they don't make a fortune out of it, and I always think it's I think five hours there and back the gorge.
Speaker 20: Yeah yeah, but don't you what about that alpine scene with all the snow. I went up done the christ Church the Graymouth after a big dumping of snow and it was like being in fairy land with all the snow. Now, once you got up off the tender be planes into the Alps, it was beautiful.
Speaker 3: Okay, thanks Nigel, Joe, Marcus welcome, Hi Joe. Okay, it's Marcus. Welcome here you are mate, good, thank you, Joe.
Speaker 21: Yeah, I was just ringing up about the.
Speaker 12: Races.
Speaker 8: Yes, so I was in town that night.
Speaker 21: Me and my partner are out having a drink or whatever, and we were there and the cops were, you know, doing their things. They were eradicating everyone whatever, and it was good what they were doing, but they were targeting the wrong people, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Sure, tell you more. Who were they targeting?
Speaker 21: It was no so the boy racers had left, they'd all got in their cars that've gone and we were just outside the pub and we all got told to leave town.
Speaker 3: Oh they're targeting you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, just bystanders.
Speaker 3: And yeah, oh that sounds like that's that sounds like real bad policing.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 21: No, well, you know, obviously they're targeting what they could get. But yeah, it was, Yeah, it was sort of more like, hey, Chase, what you're actually here for?
Speaker 3: Always seems a bit hyped up? This thing, doesn't it. They're like they're all, yeah, I reckon. Yeah, I can't quite work it out because I'm there are even that many people living out How many boy races are there?
Speaker 15: Oh?
Speaker 21: They all come from backtown and it's you know, they're they're really burnouts and they leave like they're only doing.
Speaker 16: It for attention.
Speaker 3: Will Where do they do the burnouts?
Speaker 21: Oh, they do it on their main interceptions and everything, which you know, you can understand the truckers, but they're getting paid, they're suing their waiting, so you know, the entertainment. Good on them.
Speaker 8: But yeah, just the way that.
Speaker 21: You know, the cops react and everything, that's sort of if you're going to do something, do it to the people who are actually causing the issue, not innocent people on the side of the road that are obviously come out from a pub. They see what's going on, so they come out to look.
Speaker 3: Sounds wrong, Joe, thanks for that. We'll talk about that more in the next hour. But it was a busyer. It's all going on. Oh, eight hundred and eighty t nine nine to the tics mark till twelve. We are talking about the Levin Boy Races, which is.
Speaker 4: Great.
Speaker 3: I've got no idea what even the thing is, and most of us only know the headlines, but I don't really know what happens if it's an annual thing of there's something that regularly. Got no idea what it is. I mean, it always seems incongruous Levin and Boy racing. So if you're involved we know anything about it, give us a holler and maybe we can deal with some facts about this. Also, oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty, they're saying they need somewhere to go, yeah, which is often the cry of the Boy races. But then there's old times that say, oh, we've opened up the car club. They don't want to go there, but I think it's quite expensive. They're going to a race track and do things like that. Anyway, you might want to talk here till twelve oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty night. I wait, John Marcus, welcome, Hello, Margaret, Tell you good John, Thank you.
Speaker 8: It's good. Hey, I'm actually a Karen enthusiast myself.
Speaker 3: Good thanks for calling.
Speaker 8: Oh no, that's fine. Hey. I do think it probably was in the right area, but it was actually the good thing.
Speaker 17: You know.
Speaker 8: I actually do enjoy the cars, and they were good. It was in the wrong area.
Speaker 3: Are you talking about where it was on Levin?
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, yes, it was a good thing for the cars to have it, but it wasn't a wrong area. And I can agree with the people not wanting to go to the car clubs because they actually don't have the areas for people to do burnout.
Speaker 3: Can you tell me what the Levin thing is? Does it happen every year?
Speaker 2: Does it?
Speaker 22: No?
Speaker 8: I'm actually not entirely sure. I just caught wind of it. Yeah, and it would have been probably about three days before, so I went down and I did go to it, but it wasn't the wrong area and people could have got hurt, but we were pretty controlled. I would have.
Speaker 3: Thought, who was how many people were there?
Speaker 20: Oh?
Speaker 8: To put a number on it, I would say fifty people.
Speaker 3: Was it well organized?
Speaker 8: Well, obviously not Marcus, but well, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, was there someone in charge?
Speaker 8: I don't actually know the nitty gritty to be fair, but fair enough.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And was there a burnout competition? John?
Speaker 8: No, No, I don't think there was. I was just a couple of enthusiasts, what doing laps or.
Speaker 2: What's that?
Speaker 7: Sorry?
Speaker 3: Were they doing laps? I mean what were they actually doing? Oh?
Speaker 8: No, I was just quite related to it, just a little bit of a car thing.
Speaker 3: What did you turn your radio on?
Speaker 23: No?
Speaker 8: No, I don't have radio on. Okay, you're going on the background here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that doesn't work. Okay, So yeah, can you? Yeahs hung up? What a terrible call they hung up anyway, So you might have been involved with that, because I've got no idea what it was. If it's an organized thing or something happens regularly. It's been in the news number of times, but there's huge hype around about it. We weren't saying they're pooringly behaved and this and there's that. But I'm sure there's boy races that congregate all around the world every day, all around yours in it every day and don't kind of have the same attention. So yes, you might know something more about that, because ev it's quite sort of a settled sweep town, isn't it. Not much going on anyway, getting a lot of new callers, which is great, but just turn your radio off when you can't get on here, otherwise you'll hear yourself delayed and it will mess with your mind. It'll mess with your mind like you won't imagine, I can promise you because you'll hear yourself in the background and it will it will affect your your flow of thought. That's my take on that one. Also to about the National anthem, how appalling it was at the Crusader's Chiefs match. Just slow sorry Marcus, but who the hell do these kid racists think that I was involved with the racism Beau Monsteret ANDRT in the seventies. Someone says, how many kids and gum boots were handed off the wild we shootout on the weekend? What does that mean? They had one in field and where they could go, but it cost Ooh, it's all about what happened at Levin. While we talking about Levano, because the guy said that it's because the guys sounded a bit self pitying. What said is that the skaters have skateboarding places and the rugby players have fields, but the boy racers have nowhere to go. But they've got the roads. That's what the cars are for, aren't they? Aren't they for the roads? Was even talking about this, Dan, I find the original article. There was something about that today. That's why I'm talking about it. Levin boy Races, Oh yeah, Tnarian dead story. Livin Invasion organizers say boy races need somewhere to go. Live In Invasion organizers say government tough talk and promise boy racer crackdown spurred them on. They say enthusiasts have nowhere off road to go. Transport minist promises tougher luws on the way, and it says they've been labeled cowardly, try hard, idiots, menaces, and morons. They've going a crowd of a thousand and two hundred cars filled the Horner fen to a town over three weeks ago, doing burnouts that caused public outcry and a large public response. But the people kind of involved with organizing and doubling it down, says convoys are just corenthusias out to see each other's cars. They're not intimidating the public. The men who agreed not to be named said they were frustrated authorities sought to crack down on them but gave them nowhere affordable to go. They're not going to said. As a sport, pads are quite expensive. One da manfield is probably just under a grand. It's not cheaper accessible for those of us who like to do it on the daily or we kens. Why does skaters have skate parks? White of footballers have football fields. Wide of rugby players have rugby fields. Those are publicly fund of those are free. There's obviously a big trend coming through in right now where skidders are getting out there on the street. You're gonna need somewhere to put them. I presume a skidder is like a drifter, is it? What's a skidder? They're skidders. Police officers are attacked with fireworks, something the organizers said they didn't condone, and four bystanders were injured by the cars. We endorse for people of stealth, the roads stay clear of our skidders, but still they like to get close to get that ten second video.
Speaker 2: Brilliant.
Speaker 3: You want to mention that eight hundred and eighty skidders, Marcus, Let's be very clear, living was a riot. Police were padded with rocks and bottles, head bottles and fireworks. Sort of them lucky that none suffered serious injury. Why Marcus. Years ago and the mid eighties we used to cruise up around the Queen Street and Nork and mostly hild cars off. Often we would go to places like a Scott Road marg and E which was an industrial area away from the public. It was a rite of passage held. We didn get a schooled by police, but not on the scale day. I think probably the scale is not their big these days. You're hard to hear of boy races.
Speaker 7: I don't what a.
Speaker 3: Skids are, Marcus. They say with scientific evidence. News Inna is the best place to be if World War III was ever to break out, as long as you don't want to go and buy butter or fruit and veggies for your family looking for your hot reckons on the anthem performance at the can at the Crusaders Chiefs match Saturday night, two minutes seven seconds. Far too long. I don't know if that had a backing track or what the time was, but not good A cappella. That'll be the problem. The other thing too is the boy racers and live in They say they actually need places to go and do their skidders. No idea what a skidder is. I think it might be like a burner. I don't know. Seems to be annual season with people beating up on the boy races. This story kind of peaks from time to time and then they're ignored and they go away. But the couple of the organizers have got their backs up with the government saying there's going to be harsher boy racer laws.
Speaker 12: All good.
Speaker 3: I'm then standing up for themselves. I suppose. I think there were fireworks. I don't know if the police had rocks thrown at them. I look into that police describe being hit by fireworks. Yeah, ten arrested. Oh one young woman had both your legs right over. Well, that's not a good look. Eight twenty past nine, JOHNO, it's Marcus.
Speaker 7: Welcome, Marcas going good. John It's right.
Speaker 23: Hey, Yeah, I reckon like I'm a bit older now, I'm mid thirty's, you know, and I've been They've done it.
Speaker 7: I reckon.
Speaker 23: The bloody boy racers scenes massive these days. A yeah, where I live and Cambridge, and you know you get mobs of hundreds of cars. They come into town and skids everywhere. Police try and turn up, they just throw bottles and ship at them.
Speaker 3: And what sort of cars, John know, what sort of cars are the boy races into these days?
Speaker 20: Wow?
Speaker 23: Because you can go and buy like a pretty cheap Falcon and stuff now, and you know they've got plenty of plenty of toad to do a skid pretty easily.
Speaker 16: And then.
Speaker 3: There are they're old cars.
Speaker 23: Yeah yeah, well they're all like, you know, a model Falcons and stuff like that, where will drive Falcons and like what year like the Da Falcon heaps them around. I don't know what they are. They must be like late teens, yeah, okay, yeah yeah. And then and then all those Japanese cars that we had growing up, well a lot of them are like modern modern day classics and stuff now and yeah, they they're richet and bust them to day. It all over Instagram and TikTok and all that.
Speaker 3: You know, so they're all filming each other, that's the thing.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 3: That's a different level as the post. So what's a skidder?
Speaker 23: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Oh well I've got no idea. I'm just getting it.
Speaker 23: Some burnout.
Speaker 3: So they just get they just get to like dary and streets, they do burnouts and that's the kind of thing. Then they post those videos.
Speaker 23: Yeah, and then they also they've obviously got like group chats and stuff, and someone will just say there somewhere and then within like an hour there's fucking hundreds of just.
Speaker 3: Bring the language back, but yeah, there's hundreds.
Speaker 23: It's just hundreds of them there, you know. And then I'll just chet each other and that just snowballs massively.
Speaker 3: I mean to be fair, To be fair, John, if you're young and you're into cars, it sounds quite fun. It sounds like.
Speaker 14: I'm not gonna lie, you.
Speaker 3: Know, as long as you don't start having running battles with the police. Yeah, yeah, and as long as you're safe with the burnouts. Because some burnout I think there was some work party Winton, some guided a burnout in the shed and it work doing it somemer, which seemed to be stupid. But you know, you'd want to stay well clear of the burnouts. But I guess with people wanted to film them, they get quite close.
Speaker 23: Well, I think, how you know, our obstacle was always trying not to get caught. But now they just don't really care, I feel, you know, okay, yeah, you know the police turned up and they'll just you know, they throw bottles and fireworks or whatever at them, and you know they that regard for the law.
Speaker 3: Really A Levin does sound a bit different. Are you in Cambridge? John?
Speaker 23: Oh? I am yup, yup.
Speaker 3: But the boy races had come from Hamilton, wouldn't they.
Speaker 23: Yeah, well they do, like they do big meet up. So I know that there's on Tarafus straight in Hamilton. The boy races through laps around there like most Saturday nights or whatever. But every year they do a thing called the Hamilton Invasion and they'll be like, I don't know, three hundred plus cars that come down. It's like it's absolute carvts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, brilliant, okay, good to hear. Joo, brilliant, colorful language. Mark Marcus, welcome, you're okay, Marcus.
Speaker 12: I remember in the two thousands, kind of probably early mid two thousands there's boy races because I'm from Auckland, and that'd be creising around in Auckland too, like down Queen Street and stuff just sort of slow just and there was some seriously cool cars, all jack cars and stuff like Evos there, specially Evos and the Sabahi wrxs and skylights and stuff, and you could recognize them even from being a performance car, like they are really properly done cars. And there was no police, snow violence, no fireworks, no throwing things, no nothing, and they were more just sort of cruising and almost kind of parading the cars, kind of revving the engines, windows down, all saying good out of each other, and if you knew them, you'd say hi and whatever. And I reckon, what's happened is it's become really kind of boguny and it's I mean, three hundred cars and kind of rar on news in one it. I mean, I've just traveled to Dunedin today and there's some kind of matte black old Nissons and stuff like slammed on wheels kind of I don't know, like I just remember a time where it was actually quite spectacular, no harm being done, just really cook cars and you know, actually some quite onto it.
Speaker 3: Guys, Yeah, turn out well, to be fair, I always thought the boy Racer was the definition of bogan but and yeah, and Mark, what's different now? Is in the old days, even going back to Beaumont Street in the seventies, they don't seem to be drag racing anymore. They're not doing illegal street bass. They're just doing burnouts and skidders.
Speaker 12: Yeah, they're just absolutely blazing tie and then and then when the old farmers or whatever where they're in those areas whatever you know, come out and say clear off, they absolutely lose their rets and start throwing things and kicking off.
Speaker 3: Have you have you have you seen this or just heard about it?
Speaker 12: I'm just hearing him. I hear, I read and hear atective about what you're talking about, Like, yeah, when.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen much bad stuff. We've got boy racers in the cargo, but they just go around the two roundabouts and just go back and around, and it always seems quite quaint and kind of unspectacular.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you've got what about gorons?
Speaker 8: Do you have some gorens?
Speaker 3: They have the old Yeah they got there. Yeah, they've got the big old cars. They come down, they go to the they come up to the Blossom festival and they drive her out up Queen's Down. But they they, I mean, they seem pretty old and pretty unharmless.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and the criteria seems to be a to have a mullet and maybe.
Speaker 3: I think I think you're go to a bench seat so you can get three in the front.
Speaker 12: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I think that's quite important. And the cars get handed down from generation to generation.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and then maybe some girls on there and some of those, yeah, much as we used to have.
Speaker 3: The no, I think they have. I think they have flag and I think they have the Petsy rigular beer and a paste glass. I think that's what they do.
Speaker 12: Or even those goon bags, you know, the bus wine, maybe.
Speaker 3: The old riot peck and it has been going for a hundred years, hasn't it.
Speaker 24: Yeah, it has.
Speaker 12: I think My point is that I remember it being a little bit more. Yes, you say, I mean they're all boguns, but I don't know.
Speaker 24: I don't think.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's even sophisticated.
Speaker 12: Well maybe just a tear above like your head cars make, you know, the magazines, and I'm making it in there because they were they are a well done car and setting these ten second records at Mary Mary or whatever, and they were and then you'd see the same car that you've just seen in the performance car just just you know, cruising down Queen Street. Just I mean, basically it's full of It's just from how face you can get from one set of lights to the next. Se You're not going to get up about more than thirty k's actually, but you know, and I remember it being just actually quite spectacular and a bit more interesting than just idiots with these matte black sort of shith household cars just you know, ruining their tires.
Speaker 3: Okay, I've got to think more about that, but well, might see someone else is going to get into the if it's become if it's become less sophisticated supers get in touch by name is Marcus welcome?
Speaker 16: Oh wait?
Speaker 3: One hundred and eighty ten eighty and nineteen ninety two to text, who get in touch Marcus till twelve anyway, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty nineteen ninety six. It is all about the boy races. Pretty happy to talk about this. A lot of great texts coming and I'll get to those soon. Beautiful the liver. So what I can tell it seems the whole thing that's changed about boy racing is now it's gone online, TikTok, Instagram, It's quite visual, and I guess you're doing burnout. So one of those other things door bangers. What's it when you slam the doors? Or I can't I had some videos once upon a time. I don't know much about it. But oh wait, ten hundred and eighty today, Jamie Marcus, welcome, Oh Marcus, there you go, good Jamie.
Speaker 15: I was just listened to your last caller and as someone that was very much in the scene in the mid two Felvin, there was nothing. There was nothing sophisticated about it. The only I was thinking, why were they lots more sophisticated was only because the cars were newer, whereas now they're thirty years or twenty years down the track, you know, so they're still racing the same cars because it's a passion for them. But yeah, they're just so that was and yeah, you did have the ones that got on the magazine, but then well they were far and kee between. They've used to go and buy five hundred dollars Graspers cut the springs and then we cruise up and down Queen Street and then go out in South Auckland. And they were riots for the whole the whole shooting matches to.
Speaker 3: Go on you and when you come across them, like occasional, they'd be parked right along Key Street towards the mc cann ex pay. There would be a lot of cars. It'd be four or five hundred, wouldn't there.
Speaker 15: Yeah, yeah, it was massive. Yeah, it would be. When you get on the Southern Motorway, it would be like it was bumping a bump of trafficking at eleven o'clock at night, you know, all going to like clear any drive before when that first got put in before there's imagine the houses along there now, but there was just that was in the middle of nowhere.
Speaker 3: How did you communicate? Was this pre cell phones or was this texting days?
Speaker 15: This was just texting days, but it was very much. So you just go down Queen Street and then the word aeron was sort of going, we're going to leave now. And then you'd get down the bottom down through Key Street and then out on the Southern Motorway and you just take a car and follow and you'd hope that you'd end up in the right spot.
Speaker 11: Was sorry you go?
Speaker 3: Was the racing or burnouts or just yeah, yeah, all of.
Speaker 15: The bump yeah, and then the cops would show up, and then you know you'd all scrambled a couple of bottles and get in front of them, and then you go to the next right game A cat and Mountain of night. Huge fun, so much.
Speaker 3: Fun, incredibly exciting. I suppose you're young with your car. It seemed, yeah, stakes were high.
Speaker 15: Yeah, you get a fine every weekend, but you didn't care. You know, I wasn't tool till now they've they've put me in the bump. But back then you go, what's the eight hundred dollars fine when you only earned four hundred dollars a week? Was the kind of well, you know, there was a big amount of money and you didn't care.
Speaker 3: What were you find mainly for.
Speaker 15: No warrant, no regio restricted driver and the company learner restricted driver with friends just all that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: How much did you mess up?
Speaker 15: The peak of it was about forty grand I had to get a person alone to pay the box, so I didn't come back to the country, So I bought my second house, got a person alone, paid them off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did it come to stages you're building up towards forty grand fine? You think actually I got to stop because this is getting out of hand or were having too much fun.
Speaker 15: I got to the point where, you know, like I say, I was an apprentice vs probably making six hundred dollars a week. They were taking one hundred dollars in fines, and so it was just like, man, this was never going to end. So who kids, we just keep getting some more.
Speaker 3: Okay, So you never you never stopped until you left the country.
Speaker 15: Yeah, then yeah, and then I'm paying them. Ahletil we moved to Australia and then they got you know, I had eight grand in the end, so I paid that about four months ago.
Speaker 5: I paid out.
Speaker 3: Did you get speeding tickets or tickets off on thee? I suppose you can't with your job as a truck driver.
Speaker 16: Yeah you got.
Speaker 15: I didn't every state for a while there, I had a few grands of fines just because they loved to the trucks are an easy target over here. They know, get money out of here.
Speaker 3: You know that, of course they are suppose yeah, okay, but yeah, do you know anything about the contemporary scene. Is that the same kind of thing what they're doing now?
Speaker 15: I'd imagine so I couldn't. Yeah, I haven't say for years, I've been over here but from the video though, it's it's pretty similar. They're raising the same of cars, like, yeah, they buy those mid nine probably get those mid ninety Falcons and be your skidder. Yeah, d cheap.
Speaker 3: Someone's asking you if you remember a car with a Ridgio four banger.
Speaker 15: Ring the bell, but yeah, I can't really remember.
Speaker 3: Ev. That's addressing. People are trying to get your shout out to their cars they remember anyway, Okay, yeah, what's a skidder?
Speaker 15: I don't be just like I imagine it would be anything real drive that's cheap, so like a Falcon or coming on.
Speaker 3: Okay, nice to hear from you, Jamie twenty four away from Team We're talking boy Racing eight hundred and eighty Marcus First Car Park, Mission Bay. Back of the day, mid eighties women make one bat mark when escort huge burnouts just seems to be part of most males growing up. That's it. That's what they do. Get where their mates drive cars happen forever a text or read it. Check out Mexican and hun Cartel on YouTube. That's from Wayne. So a lot of them seem to have Facebook pages now or Instagram accounts where they show their post videos I guess that's the next level. Now it seems as though you can post pictures of yourself doing things. I imagine the success of the Fast of the Furious movies would probably show where your audience are. I think they're still making them. Are they brilliant? I've watched all of those, tell you what, they vary quite a lot in quality. Harriet Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 10: Hi.
Speaker 25: I'm just bringing to make a comment about all of the boy racers bringing up tonight and making their disclosures about their previous and long term you know, speeding fines and all the rest.
Speaker 3: And I'd just like to make them meaning, I don't think guys find with the speeding. I think he said they were for yeah, well driving on a restricted license, unaccompanied and unregistered and unwarranted. I think he mentioned speedings to be fair.
Speaker 13: Okay, So there's.
Speaker 25: Boy racers, and there's skinners, and there's all these things. But twelve years ago one of them killed my sister on the side of the road.
Speaker 3: So where was that area.
Speaker 25: I would just like to see what people've got to say about that. So what were the circumstances of that, Well, the circumstances the lost control and hit my sister on the side of the road.
Speaker 3: So I would just like to see what people have got as a spectator, what was the scenario that happened.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that was yep, spectator's true.
Speaker 16: Hm.
Speaker 9: So I would just like to see what people have got to say about that.
Speaker 3: So what's your response to the people from Levin saying that they need places where they can go and do it where it's safe.
Speaker 25: I think that boy raises need their has taken off them. They need to learn responsibility before they drive.
Speaker 3: Well, they tried that. That didn't work. I mean, I know that crush The Colins tried it. They crushed one car and I think they got the wrong car, So it seemed as though the whole laws were unenforceable.
Speaker 25: M okay, And what do you say about the dead people on the side of the road.
Speaker 3: Oh, well, yeah, that's the tragedy. But I'm just trying to say that they've tried to find a workable way to stop it, and they don't seem to have had any success.
Speaker 25: No, not yet.
Speaker 3: And they tried to crush cars and it was unworkable. That's why they're not doing it anymore. They crushed one and they got the wrong they got the wrong one.
Speaker 25: But these boys aren't getting harsh on penalties.
Speaker 3: Well it seems though that age, the penalties don't really worry them. As he said he had forty thousand dollars with a fines.
Speaker 25: Yeah, and that's exactly right.
Speaker 3: Nice to talk, thank you. Eighteen to ten, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty Marcus. There are two different kinds of car groups out there. They're those with rebuilt cars that belong to recognize car clubs and are usually tombed as hot rods and go on cruisers. Then you have the boy races as they are apparently called. It don't seem to care too much about their cars or anyone else. Shame. Someone can't do date a padder can get it concreted. So they have somewhere to go and do their burnouts donuts without bothering the community. Let's face it, even the kids have skateboard parks. Just breaking news, his real defense minister says he's ordered a tech on a run after claiming to run has violated cease fire. He's ordered a force for military response. So yep, much going on there, Dean Marcus. Welcome to Harriet.
Speaker 2: I am boy racist from back in the day. Unfortunately, these are tragic things that can happen, and it's not fair. I remember back in the day seeing people get hit out of certain places that people would congregate, you know, guys swinging donuts and stuff. Seeing people get hurt, it's very, very tragic. But it's honestly no different to being at a rally. You know, cart loss control and somebody gets hit. It does happen. It's just one of those freak things.
Speaker 3: Quite often rallies.
Speaker 2: Don't you that the unfortunately, but it does happen. I suppose you run the risk when you're a spectator. You know it's happened at which Araka park? Remember one of the years ago, one of the guys Will think she was my mate's brother, Will came off as car he was in a stock car going around the track, actually flew off, went into the crowd and actually killed somebody, unfortunately.
Speaker 3: I guess the difference probably is with some of the nighttime so called illegal activities with boy racis. I imagine probably I don't know, I'm not partaking, but I mentioned that's probably often as there there'd be alcohol involved, which probably would appair judgment and some of the decisions made, or even worse, I would think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, just for a quick story, my mate, you just have a custom Bedford van. It's called Midnight Miss had a mural of a sailing ship on the back, done beautifully, you know, turned timber inside, had a nice big double bed in there and had three twenty seven shives and a forward. Unfortunately, but we're racing a guy in a falcon. We're going to the lights of Wellesley Street and Victoria and the lights changed and the guy and the falcon decided to go. We stopped, and it was lucky we stopped. As soon as we stopped, hed a bang under the van hopped out. Looked down underneath in the drive shaft had actually dropped off the back of the gearbox and onto the ground, and the other part was still connected to the to the dipp So if that had happened while we were going nuts, we probably would have pulled vaulted end over end down Queen Street. So we were lucky we stopped.
Speaker 3: This in the eighties, eighties, nineteen eighties.
Speaker 2: It was in the eighties year, mid eighties to sort of late eighties year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Midnight did the Midnight must have steam trains on the side of.
Speaker 2: It, thank no, No, the midnight must So it was a sailing It was like sailing ship type thing. So it was metallical, metallic brown. And inside it was all turned timber, you know, like a French polisher had done turned all the timber. It was all done promptly inside a nice big double bed and had the bubble window at the back on the left and the right inside. But I had a mural of an old sailing ship on the back. Somebody might remember it, but I mean there were a few vents flating around those days. Used to be an old Crimson transit man called the Deer Hunter, which was quite well known that used to cruise around town as well.
Speaker 3: What happens to vans that they just get scrapt in the end.
Speaker 26: Do they?
Speaker 2: I don't know, you kind of hope people have held on to them and they're actually you don't see them around, do you. No, you don't, honestly you don't. It's real. It's good when you do see the odd one, but you know, it's like all those classic gut falcons and manaros and that you know, they're all tucked away in someone's garage. Now worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Speaker 3: You know, nice to talk, Thanks so much, Jan, good evening, Paul ats Marcus, will we just chick? I've just done something weird with my mouth. Oh, Paul, it's Marcus. Welcome.
Speaker 8: Hey, I'm just rigging about that previous caller, Harriet y. I do agree with the fact that it was wrong, but she didn't really set the scene on how what had happened to her sister.
Speaker 3: No, but that's I mean, it's a powerful call to make, isn't it, because someone's got killed for what they're doing. But I mean, you know, I mean, of course, a lot of people get killed by cars, about four hundred every year. So yes, yes, yes, bol it's tragedy.
Speaker 8: But yeah, I mean something completely different.
Speaker 3: Yes, And I didn't feel particularly comfortable grilling here about the about the details of his sister's death because obviously it was a tragedy.
Speaker 8: Oh no, no, no, the same. It's not apples with apples.
Speaker 3: But you've got to have that. You know, there probably can be another discussion here about.
Speaker 8: Because there is a degree of empathy or I understand that.
Speaker 3: But you know, it seems as though even since American graffiti there'd be sixty years ago that at least. Yeah, there's all has been boy racers, and there's always some sort of moral panic. And I'm sure people out there think it's much much worse than it is because they're never they're witnessing it. They just hear their reports the next day. I know, for a long time christ Church was tormented by boy racers going around the inner city avenues and they banned them. I know in Hamilton five years ago it was all out the west of Hamilton and people were tormented. I know in Auckland for a long time was happening. Now it seems unlikely of all things, that's happening in Livin.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And that's exactly things. And people see a lot of things. People see the steps. But it happens most nights other than not. I'm not condoning it, but we all hear about it when it goes dead.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But also to the young people, it's probably not a huge amount for them to do. Are you too young to be going? I haven't got much money, you got your cars and it's probably everything you need really Yeah. Yeah, particularly in small towns with his dumb and I suppose a lot of people on video games these days, are they? I mean, I'm not in that kind of market, but.
Speaker 8: No, neither of myself really to be fair, but yeah, I just.
Speaker 3: Can't see them. So I just can't see them solving it anytime soon.
Speaker 8: No, and crushing them is not going to fix up. Like you said in that call, they've tried then and that didn't work well.
Speaker 3: I even think they I think in the end they got the wrong car. The guide swapped. There was a guy from Milton. He'd swapped the plates, so they didn't even crushed the right car. So it sort of made the government look a bit like a laughing stop. They could even find the car and confiscat and get rid of it, so it just seemed unworkable. I mean, there's smart boy races, aren't they, because I know all the things with switching around number plates and all sorts of stuff.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well then you get somebody that's got a vehicle that's financed, and how.
Speaker 10: Does that go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a good point. It's a really good point. Okay, Paul. Thanks. They say boy races need places to go to do their stuff. What that stuff as, I don't know. They say skidders, although on the flip side. You could probably say they'd build them that stuff. They wouldn't want to go because what they really want is the element of danger and illegality. I'm sure that's one of the draw cards for it.
Speaker 16: Text.
Speaker 3: They not only swap plates, but they have police radios and watchers too. They sit the road interests to where they are. The smart ones leave when the cops are on their way, but the drunk, surly, young ones are what leads to the chaos that eat it up and live in. That sounds like a good ring true to me. The livin instant was mostly out of town. Is using it as a convenience. Why don't they join a car club and use the Manfield track to hell with tex and ratepayer supplying them with a skid pad. They say, Manfield, that man will costure just under a grand, so it's too expensive. So we are talking about you want to comment, oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. The back comment tonight is also about how bad the anthem was it? The rugby the final of Super Rugby the Crusaders versus the Chiefs. Apparently it was a shocker, slow and long a cappella two minutes seven for like two hours seven apparently, I don't know why we do it to tell you what the players aren't into. It be different if the players got right into it and use it to rack them up a bit. But Noah, Anyway, that's what we're on about tonight, eight hundred eighty ten eighty nine nine to text, get in touch, looking forward to your comeds if something different you want to talk about. Also, let's be hearing from your Marcus till twelve and I'll keep your da with you throughout the course of the evening. But we mainly talking about boy racist. Your thoughts please, because Christ seem to sort it out and Hamilton seemed to sort out. It just seems to kind of appear in different places. But boy racers say they need places where they can go, and they say there's rugby field for rugby players, which is fair enough when council spend a fortune on stadiums, although it's a sport not a pastime. I guess that's a slight difference. A good evening, Gabe, it's Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 27: How are you Marcus?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 3: Thanks Gabe, excellent.
Speaker 27: Hey, I was just thinking about this whole good pad thing. Yeah, totally understand I'm a rate payer. In fact, we have two houses we pay rates on and they do they just rip around and wrap up all the tar seel and all your beautiful streets and all the rest. Why not give them a dedicated space so they don't go and wrap themselves around a powerpole. And sure they could pay the fund it if it's the worst part, but at least give them an option.
Speaker 3: I guess the questions would they use it? But I'm sure it'll be concrete, so it'd be better too, wouldn't it.
Speaker 27: Well, either that or you know, ash felt. But the chip seal stuff just it's cheap and nasty and it's you know, I don't think it it's built to last as much as what it is. They've just reach chip sealed our street probably less than six months ago, and they just go over top of what currently there. They don't come in the holes and all the rest. I mean, for these guys on a good pad, I think they're good. Like if that's their passion and that's what they want to do, then why not support that?
Speaker 3: If you go as a society, is there a boy race a problem where you are? Gabe?
Speaker 27: Yeah, I'm in sung today, mate, there's there's definitely a few of them. My brother lives in christ Church and he said that was terrible and they basically the police cracked down on them and that kind of has stopped them somewhat. But you know, at the end of the day, some of the guys get on the track and do it properly, and then there's the ones that either can't afford to get on a track and do it properly or they just out there to cause trouble. And Mike, I think you said, you know, they probably enjoy the illegality.
Speaker 12: Of doing this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sure. I've been at the tracks a bit. Stuff. It's sort of second generation with the money, I would think too. Probably nice to talk Gabe, Jack Marcus.
Speaker 8: Welcome the obvious solution.
Speaker 22: Good pad for them, but YESU was counsel and a sec are going to shut it right down. These unwarranted vehicles, vehicles that are not fit for the road and figuring on the skip pad whether it's private.
Speaker 3: Property or you make a very good point too, because if you're going to be on a skid pair, you would need to be warranted and your car would need to have safety checks, would it Otherwise? It would become a death trap. It works.
Speaker 22: And the problem is these people go on Facebook marketplace by two three dollar cars. They don't give back of a car or anybody else on the road with that vehicle. And what's going to have on the skid pad. The vehicle's going to fall apart. They might fall off a S good pad, rolls or car andji themselves and j bystanders, you know. So a simple solution is if they had warranted vehicles, you know, insurance, and there's some sort of oversight on it, by all means, get a S good pad. I'm sure the counselor a scis be more than happy of it. But at the moment, there's the large majority of them that love having unwarranted vehicles, love the risk of being caught by the cops and just you know, just having that badge on their shoulder. Hey, I've got this from the cops. So I got that from the cops. So I expacked the cops tonight by driving like a complete fall.
Speaker 3: You know that that's the problem, Jack, Jack, do you know this from experience? Are you a parent, a boy racer or a cop.
Speaker 22: I'm not a cop.
Speaker 12: I'm not a parent.
Speaker 22: I'm not a boy racer. I've been to a couple of events as a bystander. I know people have boy racers as permit of your texts earlier. A lot of them do have police scanners, but that only works up in like Living and Pumps Awkway because it's not in crypt channels. When they come down to Wellington, they're not sure when the cops have been called or coming unless they're spotted by their spot is at their entrances to these streets.
Speaker 3: I sus speak what you're saying, right, I suspect if you're unregistered or unwarranted, it does add to the excitement of it.
Speaker 9: It seems too.
Speaker 22: It just seems to be an attraction the whole Oh what we're doing isn't legal. And the problem is that ACC is still accepting these claims from his injury. They should just be declining them like what we're doing, Oh, you're an illegal event?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 22: That would crack down a lot of people attending these Their claims are.
Speaker 3: I don't think the boy raised them intelligent. I don't think they're going to be thinking about ACC somehow.
Speaker 22: I'm pretty sure they think about it pret quickly once they're lane on that hospital bed, wondering how your wage is going to be covered, how we're going to be paying for their rents coming up. It's at the end of the day and it's head figure out up in legal st get their vehicles in a legal condition. I'm sure farm owners have been more than happy to let them on certain paddocks if their vehicles are legal warranted and there is no risk to a farm owner.
Speaker 3: Nice to hear from you, Jack, Thank you, good evening, Sarah. It's Marcus. Welcome.
Speaker 18: Hi Marcus Cecely, congratulations on your award a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 18: And I was actually ringing to talk about Trump, but I just thought i'd say on the boy racer thing, I have five brothers and they have between us all we've managed to have. I was trying to count them up, but probably a does nephews. Nobody has been into the boy racing thing, and I think it's a parenting thing around boundaries, safety and all that stuff.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 23: I think.
Speaker 3: I think there's great differences between where you live too. I think in rural communities like south And it's a real, very big thing because it's not a lot else to do and people need cars. Because they're living out of the city on farms and it becomes a big thing. So I think, and I don't think suddenly everyone in South is a bad parent.
Speaker 18: Yeah, I think you're right about that. Though I'm calling from Auckland, so I think you're probably right. So it's kind of a thing where there is boy racing and that sort of stuff in Auckland too, But yeah, different reasons. I was just going to call about the Trump thing and say, it's a really difficult time in the world. And I did study World War two history some time ago, and I just remember the time between Chamberlain and Churchill, and Chamberlain tried for years to go through very peaceful times in negotiations with Hitler and Germany, and I think and then Churchill came in after him and basically declared that the Britain was at war with Germany. And I just think we are in one of those very strange times where there is a lot going on in the world and it's really hard for us to sit there in the background was a lot with very little information. When there are countries with a lot of nuclear capability in development, like Iran, and I think some in the context of peace time and pragmatism. There is some quite extreme views in countries like Iran, and it's very difficult to think of those countries with nuclear arms.
Speaker 3: Yeah, although once you've got nuclear arms, once you use them, you get a blitter rage. I think that's why North Korea is not use these. It's mutual, it's mutual destruct It's mutual destruction, isn't it.
Speaker 9: That's exactly what it is.
Speaker 18: And I think that there are a number of countries who do have them, and then there are many who who do not have them, and those who are in development, maybe they potentially like North Korea.
Speaker 3: Like your point here, I think North care has got I think North Korea has got nine that they can use nine I have them.
Speaker 4: But I'm just.
Speaker 18: Thinking there are countries where there are potentially extreme views, and you might argue that North Korea has got quite extreme views, but I would think that Iran has experience.
Speaker 3: You could argue that the United States has got free extreme views these days.
Speaker 18: Yeah, they have potentially used to, but I don't think the whole thing has played out yet, That's all I'm saying. And I think it's really difficult for us to form a view at this fine some time, and I think we can form an anti Trump or anti Iran or anti Israel's view. And I really don't feel like we actually have enough information, especially here in New Zealand. But I feel like we don't have enough information.
Speaker 3: I don't anyone's as anyone asking anyone to form a view, are they?
Speaker 19: Yeah, well, I.
Speaker 9: Think actually so.
Speaker 18: I think I've got friends over on the in the Northern Hemisphere who have got views, and I've got friends on this side of the world who have used And I don't actually think we are in a place to actually have a view or a fixed view on it.
Speaker 3: Live with the Sarah Thank You twenty one past ten. No one loved the anthem the text are saying it's terrible.
Speaker 4: Marcus.
Speaker 3: Yes, that anthem was a shock of so long and slow, totally inappropriate for the rug. We needed a fast, enthusiastic performance. Should have been backed by cowboys. Twenty three past ten. David Marcus welcome, Hey, yeah, good David, thank you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's going on up to just bighlight. A couple of things in the sense of the boy Racers subject. I've had a nineteen ninety five toilet super for the last eleven years, and for those eleven years, I've been getting profiled as a boy racer. I'm a car enthusiast. I've never modified the car at all. It's completely stuck out of the factory. But yeah, for some reason, I just keep on getting profiled with the nineties Japanese import car.
Speaker 3: What do you mean you get profile? You mean you get stopped or what happens?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, no, I get Well, it's been ten eleven years of harassment. Realistically, I live up in Hamilton, by the way, So.
Speaker 3: What form does the haracement take.
Speaker 7: Well, they'll like fly up out of nowhere past like three or four different cars, pulled me over and say it's a random stop where I got full license, waff Ridge, Everything's legal, everything sweet. So in my books, that's not exactly a random stuff.
Speaker 3: Is daytime or not? Is daytime or nighttime? David both?
Speaker 7: It doesn't really matter if it's day or night. But I would say it's gonna be worse at night because you're gonna get profiled if you're in a Japanese nineties car.
Speaker 3: Yeah are you young?
Speaker 7: But I was young once upon a time.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm just trying to think once people realize you're not boy racing material. Does the heate apologize or do they just go about the way.
Speaker 7: You don't get apologies from police and Hamilton. There's a lot of thing.
Speaker 3: Well they check your license and make your blow, do they.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's all just a waste of time, really, waste of my time, wasted their time, waste of resources sounds it, But yeah, I did go I did go out a couple of times to go check it all out, and and I can see where they're all coming from. I didn't get involved in it. It's kind of just spectate. But when you think about it, I'll be keeping an eye on it over the last well eleven years or so. And people just can't afford to get into professional drifting at that point. And the reason why they go out to the middle of nowhere is for the respect of the community when it comes down to it. They're trying to go out to the most romance, all of the most remote areas they can think of, so they don't disturb people's sleeps. They don't do too much to mess up the roads, but you'll just see the police come along and just chase them around all night, and that just creates more havoc because everybody's running away, people are trying to find different spots. Yeah, it's just chaos. So yeah, what someone else is saying, if they did give them a dedicated spot in the middle of nowhere, yeah, they'd go to it.
Speaker 16: No worries.
Speaker 3: Is a good cow the super.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah yeah, but I'm thinking about getting rid of it.
Speaker 3: To be honest, it's not worth it, or it is worth it.
Speaker 7: Well, the sentimental value, it's it's pretty high up there. But with all the harassment and I'm receiving more being profiled, I just don't think it's worth it. I might just swop up for classic American muscle car lowrider or something, just because you don't exactly see what Rod's classics and low writers getting pulled over constantly?
Speaker 3: How many times a week? Would this happened a month?
Speaker 7: Uh, not so much anymore. But the latest thing, I was going through town just three o'clock in the morning. They went over to a friend's. Well we were just playing games all night, watching movies, but we go get some food pass through town. This was on June the first and next thing, you know, I'm getting profiled because it's three in the morning. I've literally got some pickup strips and some strips on my lap as I'm driving through town. Next thing you know, I'm getting arrested and pulled out of the car.
Speaker 3: They're resting you on the grounds.
Speaker 7: Well yeah, I'm taking that through the course at the moment, but realistically there was no real grounds. If I'm pounded the car, it's just classic profiling.
Speaker 3: What charge did they reached you for?
Speaker 7: Well that's the tricky part. So I'm driving through town down on the side of the road. There's no cop stop or anything, any signals puts the stand out. Well, he wants me to stop, and I think you did say the words stopped. So I was like, in New Zealand, you have the right to know you're being stopped. You can't request that and they should provide that. So I asked, as the police officer, you know, why am I being stopped? What is the reason? Which he didn't provide. I asked him again, you know, if you can give me a reason why I should be stopping, because I have the right to know, then I'll stop. Just tell me, like I do you want to do a breath test? Do you want to do a license shack? Just tell me and I'll stop. He just ends up pulling out his pepper spray, ripping up like ripping open the door, just starts getting the aggress of trying to rip my keys out of the ignition. So I'm sitting there, got my friend over here next to me, he's setting a wall and we're both like, what the hecks going on here? Wow? So there is there is a downside to all of us in the sense that there is genuine car enthusiasts that get the bad rep or being a boy racer just because they own a Japanese vehicle.
Speaker 3: Nice to hear from me, David, thank you for you, Thank for you, honesty, Peyton, Marcus, welcome, there you go, and there Marcus.
Speaker 24: Yeah, it's good talking at the boy of races. I agree what Jack said. He was right to what he was saying. So I think, you know, we're going to do something for them because hearing you Plymouth were spending millions and dollars on a sports stadium that they call it the Hub, new netball courts and all that sort of thing. So we know, like Jack said, he sort of much said it all like you know, sort of safety in that as well, like you that previous call or said as well. But I think as a community we have to do something for them, like build something for them because they're out here in the industrial areas. If you've got kids in that and that you know they're going to do their stuff, you can do whatever you like. Maybe we should heads together as a counselors the government too, and we have places like there have the scrap of speedway here in Strafford, your Mary, Marya in Auckland. There's plenty of facilities around. Maybe we've got to charge them like.
Speaker 25: You.
Speaker 24: They got to have the vehicles are going to be warranted to dance to the they do.
Speaker 8: Build something like that.
Speaker 24: They can do their thing like a twenty or ten dollars entry whatever it is, so they can get their frustrations. They can do what they want to do. And I think we just have to work together. That's what they do. They've been doing it for years.
Speaker 12: But let's build.
Speaker 24: Something for them, like save it for an hour or two from a major city like you Plymouth, Hamilton where it is. Build something for them. At least if you've got parents, you know they can do their thing in a safe area, and let's do it. They do something about it.
Speaker 3: Wow, were you one?
Speaker 24: Oh, we used to do a little bit about two like here, we scot up like that up there.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 24: Younger days you've got them up the mountain in the car parks and do wheelies in the big car park there. We they been going on for years, so we can't say we haven't been doing it. So let's let's do something for them. Because we spend all this money like the communities and swimming pools. Like I said before, it's still something for them. So appearance you know, they can your sons and your daughters, they can go to one of these facilities. It might cost a bit of money. Adult run that they say before. We have a lot of places it. They already have the facilities. They just charge them. I said there Sunday. Then they can do your thing and a safe environment and then the cops can jump on them. But you can say you don't have to do this stuff anymore because we've got facilities where you can do your stuff. Ten or twenty dollars entry fee and everybody wins.
Speaker 3: Real it nice to hear from your Pete. Thank you keep your calls coming through. Good evening, John AT's Marcus.
Speaker 11: Welcome, good evening market, can you hear me? Okay?
Speaker 3: Let unclear?
Speaker 11: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 28: I lived in Sweden for a number of years and the people over there are a little bit more pragmatic than we are when it comes to the boy raisers situation. And I just quickly explained to you that they have a kind of a crazy system. They have a car they make for boy races and it's Evolvo, people for car, and they called it an a tractor. You can find them on the into met there. And what they do they get the Evolvo can't put two gearboxes behind it, which slows the thing down. That match that in low low the car's got a top speed of thirty kilometers an hour, and that means a twelve year old kid can trove it on the roads, and they do. The farmers make them. All the kids turn up at school on the Evolvo duets they're called, you know, which is an interesting way just to look make sure the kids can.
Speaker 16: Drive while they're still young.
Speaker 28: And then after that they have developed in that country and I used to go and watch them. They are great. They're called folk racing and it's kind of evolved into rally cross but it's a circuit where it's half tassie on half dirt and you've probably seen it before on the motory sports. But there's folk racing. Just members of the family can go and all drive the same car and you know that it works out on your lap times and all that. But they embrace that. Those kind of people, the boy racers will go there. They learn how to drive properly in a controlled environment and you could just have a folk racing car, which is usually an old Volo years old and it's really you know, it's all positive. I can't see any negative about It's quite quite good. And I believe that you know that somehow we have to look at the boy racers here because every country in the world has got the same problem, and I thought Sweden addressed it as best of any and I've ever seen. Thank you for listening to that.
Speaker 3: My absolute pleasure.
Speaker 7: John.
Speaker 3: Do we go, Peter Marcus welcome? Hello, Yeah, Hi Peter, Wow, nice to hear from you.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Look, it's about boy racis. But look, we've never had a car in my life. I've never had a cup, but we do have boy wasaces here at the Marine uh in the Saar it's very dangerous.
Speaker 8: Look, we got elderly, we got.
Speaker 4: Children from school, you know, are we school for listeners? They all go home, They're all we do have. Boy wasaces zooming the cars fast days in the seat, no key for the for the in.
Speaker 3: The At three o'clock in the afternoon, are they racing?
Speaker 4: Are normally around the time, normally around three when they usually children go home. They walk through the theater same as the hourly they go pay their bills.
Speaker 8: They nick mid it round girl, And I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, oh no, no, not to just put your holy crossing the road early and uh, you know, tragedy ambulance.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, you know, it's still a problem, tea. But Peter, thanks for that. Nice to talk to you. Twenty away from eleven hitdled twelve, Pete, a lot of people shouting out and during your sound effects as that they're excellent, excellent.
Speaker 9: MJ.
Speaker 3: Marcus welcome, Yeah.
Speaker 7: Is going good?
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 10: So I'm actually one of the main leaders of one.
Speaker 8: Of the car crews over and telling her, well go you yeah.
Speaker 10: Oh well it's probably a bit sarcastic, but we do actually try and keep everything like quite chill and talent basually runs like sticking to the rules and not drink driving and whatnot because we don't want to have any crashes and whatnot at our meetups. But it's the people that are the tracks that then put a bad name on everyone else. Nine times out of ten, if you look at the drivers of the cars, they're the ones that's sober and they're the ones that are more responsible. Yes, they're doing skids, but a lot of the times it's out in the big intersections and whatnot. So have the road blocked off, so that's at like there's going to be a car coming around the corner or anything like that.
Speaker 3: Is it unofficial that your leader or is it some sort of arequ So we run from croup.
Speaker 10: Chats and then you like we put out with the spots are and whatnot and when they're going to be happening in the group hats okay?
Speaker 3: So do you close the roads down yourself for the skids? Nah?
Speaker 10: Not ourselves. It's just people people that turn up can't really stop it.
Speaker 3: So you're doing skids on public roads?
Speaker 7: Are you?
Speaker 3: Nah? Nah?
Speaker 2: Nah? Nah?
Speaker 16: Where are you?
Speaker 3: Where you where you're doing them?
Speaker 8: Wow?
Speaker 7: Now on the back roads the country roads?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, But it's on roads roads. Yeah, yeah, so what do you how do you stop regular traffic?
Speaker 23: Wow?
Speaker 10: When you come around the corner and you see fifty cars blocking the road, okay, it's quite hard to get through.
Speaker 3: Okay. Many of the cars not registered or warranted? Okay, how many cars unregistered and unwarranted?
Speaker 26: No, see quite a feel of them.
Speaker 10: Are Like you'll get the ones that will come on a trailer and whatnot that would be built in garages, and then they'll throw them on a trailer to get them there to the to a spot so they're not getting pulled over on the way. And then most of the drivers that are doing the skids a full licens got everything in order because.
Speaker 7: They know their attention is hot.
Speaker 10: Like, if you're heading into one of the spots, the chance to getting pulled over are pretty high.
Speaker 7: And no matter what car you're driving.
Speaker 3: And how would how would the skid work? You just just tell me how the actual skid goes.
Speaker 10: Read it up and stunting the clutch and hold on.
Speaker 3: Well, just dubbed the language okay, yeah, okay, and your video that wow, I mean I guess the question say want to sound I don't want to sound add old fashion MJ. But is that the same as a boon out?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, okay, you would have done some back.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't have actually, but anyway, okay, so they burn out, okay, yeah, and how close would people? What's the greatest danger that you reckon?
Speaker 10: The greatest danger?
Speaker 5: What do you mean?
Speaker 7: And what aspect?
Speaker 3: Well, who's going to get hurt of people standing standing close to someone's burnout goes bare? They could take out someone's legs or.
Speaker 10: Only the drunk idiots that walk up and everyone knows where the's good hap in the intersection, and you'll get people that will get way too on the person. Then they'll start getting real confidence running out into the middle or trying to slap the back of cars and whatnot.
Speaker 3: That's crazy, and they'll be wanting to video on their phone and stuff like that. So they drunk the young they're wondering out slapping the back of the car. Next thing, they've been hit.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, because nine times out of ten, any of the videos of people getting run over or sweeps off their feet and whatnot, it's not the car losing control. It all that cars skidded through their countless times, and they've done the same thing but someone else has just skipped out trying to be the hero and all of a sudden on their ass.
Speaker 3: So it's pretty hard to control those drunken idiots that kind of come along for the for the thrill of an eight.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 8: So that's why oftentimes we'll just get the boys.
Speaker 10: That actually just want to be there to have a skid. We'll just getting them together and keep it all in between us and then get out and have no spectators out there.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you won't so you won't publicize. It'll be done on the down low.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, and what it is one of our good intersections that's pretty quiet, and just get into.
Speaker 3: It, very illuminating him. Jo's JORDI greatly thank you. By the way, one more day of summing up by the judge before the mushrooms, before the trial, before the jury gets sequested to come up with their inevitable verdict and put Aaron Patterson behind bars for a long time. That'll be probably where I can't imagine the jury will be out, but they might go out to her on the next day. So I haven't seen much compelling evidence to think that she didn't do it. With the old d Hydrader goodness. So that'll be tomorrow, the next that it'll be Wednesday, Thursday. We should get averted on that one. We are talking boy races. The livin people think they need skid pads where they go and do it. I thought MJ was enlightening, you cause you imagine sort of the young pesses coming along, haven't been on the RTDs or something, wandering, oh, wandering around, slap in the back of the car. Good dunk. So that there's some pretty ganali videos out there of people doing that sort of stuff. You want to comment, it's nine from eleven with you till twelve people of New Zealand get amongst an eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. No one knows what's happened to the enriched uranium be someway safe. Seems like it's just in conventional barrels. For what I was seeing on the CNN when they're winning a or away, fifty six percent of Americans disapproved of the attack. So yeah, and that will change, I guess is we find out how it goes, how the ceasefire goes, where they get into a war, a long war. Ate away from eleven. My name is Marcus welcome, good evening a Hunter.
Speaker 4: Hello, how are you doing good?
Speaker 3: Thanks? Hunter?
Speaker 26: I noticed you were talking about the boy racers from Leven and how they were well skid pads would be ideal to keep them off the street. Yeah, you know, I think it's a well, you know the skate parks around the skaters. I understand. It's like a concrete path. It's big enough for like a car or two to just slit rip out of me, out out out of the suburbs. It would keep them well off the street.
Speaker 3: Would they use them? Hunter? Are you are you of that persuasion?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 26: Yeah, no, I have a modified car. I get it. I would a hundred We would one hundred percent prefer to take it off the street if we had the choice, where do you do it?
Speaker 10: Now?
Speaker 26: I take it down I normally, if I do decide to go do it, I take it down to the industrial area at night, no one's around. It's wide enough the road generally. Yeah, if someone don't show up, I'll just say all right, I'm out of here.
Speaker 3: And basically what you're doing is people no longer racing, or what you're doing is just burnouts, right yeah?
Speaker 20: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Is it expensive for tires?
Speaker 26: Depends on what tires you get. If I am going to burn rubber, I'm not going to get a nice set of tires. Generally, I'll just go get a second hand set of tires. It's the dumped already shut them.
Speaker 3: Oh okay. So and how how much how many days with the skids would you get on those.
Speaker 26: From being generous?
Speaker 4: Two?
Speaker 26: Maybe three?
Speaker 3: Oh okay, okay, okay, so it's gonna be hand and twenty bucks for a couple of days of burnouts. Okay, So you know, drifting like on fast to the furious, people aren't doing that. It's it's it's not as. It's not as because that would be quite dangerous if people are like doing drifting around corners. But it mainly is just burnouts, is it.
Speaker 26: Yeah, I'm not going to say people don't do it. There are the occasional people that will go do it, but the majority of the time it's just burnouts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, because I imagine if you're having having illegal drifting races, then I imagine that really could take out some pedestrians.
Speaker 26: Yeah, yeah, no, I don't. I don't support that whatsoever. That's gonna end in tears.
Speaker 3: Are your is your car?
Speaker 26: Warranted at the moment.
Speaker 3: Yes, Okay, what do you see as the great danger?
Speaker 26: The danger is at this stage, it's it's most of the time it's people getting too close to try film from social media when they're trying to, you know, rip their tires. Generally they do need to swing the car a little bit and better rubor is needed.
Speaker 4: But it's just.
Speaker 3: Is people getting quite on a hits on social media with things like burnouts. Is it quite a big audience for that stuff?
Speaker 26: Depends?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it can be.
Speaker 26: If the burnout is big enough and yeah, you get some good footage, you're definitely there is an audience for it.
Speaker 3: Have you got your own social media page yourself?
Speaker 26: Hunter, I'm not for burnouts? No, No, I won't put that stuff online. It's I would rather not encourage people to do it on the streets.
Speaker 20: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean the way you sounds quite sensible. It sounds like if they had a place that people would go. I mean, you wouldn't need that bigan area, would you.
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 26: No, The place I use is maybe like a fifty meter a fifteen maybe like a fifty meter wide road that's like a cold de sack right at the end. That's that's that's enough room to give my car onto it. And it's a big board selcan.
Speaker 3: So you've got to go buy four secondhand tires and then for one hundred and twenty bucks, and then you've got to check your car up and put those four tires on, and then I'll give you two.
Speaker 26: Days generally, just too mates, because of.
Speaker 3: Of course, of course, And how does it take to get the tires on?
Speaker 21: Not that long?
Speaker 26: Not that long time. I can do it, and I can do it about twenty minutes.
Speaker 3: Well I never thought about that. And then you get two days worth of those tires.
Speaker 26: Yeah, yeah, I could go by brand new ones if I want, but it's just not worth the money.
Speaker 3: But there must be money in the tire companies for all of this. They must be loving it.
Speaker 26: To a certain extent.
Speaker 3: Yes, it should get Bont's it's nice to talk, Hunter, found you enlightening. Also, there we go. Sounds like a very reasonable guy, doesn't he? Brilliant Marcus. The problem with building the boy races a track is then the government has endorsed at what comes next? Well, they endorse all sorts of things. Lookers on five dollar note on Hillary wet up the mountain, Mountain climb and that's not safe. Government endorses that. There's always people taking risks. What made this country great risks? Look at the old guy split in the at and all that radiation. He didn't care. Just split it away. He goes split, split, split. Now we've got nuclear fusion. Goodness me. By the way, if you're going to the rugby in Dneda and there is a train from Mosgiel, well there should always be a train from Mosgile. That's a train that they should be bringing back because it's double tracked and there's tunnels that would be better than the bus. Good evening, Donor. It's Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 9: Hello Marcus, just quickly, just on that the anthem.
Speaker 22: It's what was a dide.
Speaker 9: We were sitting in a pub and we all looked at each other and said who died? But anyway, that was.
Speaker 3: Hang on it was it good? Were you You weren't in Canterbury?
Speaker 7: Were you?
Speaker 23: No?
Speaker 9: I was in Northland? Was the only chief supporter in the pub?
Speaker 23: Was there?
Speaker 3: Was there a good atmosphere at the pub with people watching it?
Speaker 16: Yes?
Speaker 9: Yeah, god, you know no, it was good even though the warriors had just lost, but we were okay, Yeah, Okay, anyway, what you just read out something about somebody really worried about this son or not because I had to collect them. Sixteen year old is an al teaser. I'd love to know how a sixteen year old could afford the al teaser.
Speaker 3: How much is it worth?
Speaker 9: Apparently they're thirty to sixty grand because they're all souped up a bit of her by the time they've done what they need.
Speaker 3: Cont it's his independence. You know, he might be working stacking groceries or stacking shelves.
Speaker 9: Yeah, my kids had little, cheapy cars and the ones they could afford to with cheap.
Speaker 20: I just I really.
Speaker 9: You know, whoever the parent is, maybe they could give you a callin and tell us exactly how their kid could afford the.
Speaker 3: Old We're going to start judging the parents now.
Speaker 9: No no, no, no no, no, well might, but no, I'd love to know what sort of jobs they're doing, because there's the whole stack of kids. I'd love to get them doing those jobs.
Speaker 3: On the train between five nine hundred and twenty grand for a medium price for our teaser sety nine dollars.
Speaker 9: Excellent, okay before the souping, and I'd still love to know the sixteen year old that's earned that sort of money.
Speaker 3: Good on them.
Speaker 9: I'd love to know what they're doing. But yeah, no interesting.
Speaker 3: So he's the latest from the United States. Visibly furious, Trump launches if word rent at Israel at Iran on live TV for breaking ceasefire before telling Nitya, who do not drop those bombs? Donald Trump has vented his fury with a foul mouthed rant at Israel and Iram dropping the F word. Is he accused both of violeting a cease fary broken last night. The art of the deal. We've got two countries who have been fighting for so long and so hard, they don't know what the if they're doing, he says. He stormed onto the marine one a helicopter away from the press. The cease fire agreement appears to be in tant is just hours after coming into effect, with the warring art jenemies accusing one another of launching strikes almost immediately after they agreed to stop their tit for tet attacks. By the way, just as an aside, can I say once again what an extraordinary looking helicopter that is. I'm not really a helicopter first, but every time, I said, I'm just totally in awe of it. Marine one.
Speaker 7: What is it?
Speaker 3: It's massive, but just kind of has the one. We must have massive rotors, jet to gorgeous chopper. Unbelievable.
Speaker 7: What is it?
Speaker 3: A VH ninety two, a Patriot white tops. Any Marine Corp aircraft carrying the Vice Prison, United States without the prison has the call signed Marine two.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 3: I think there's a few of them. As of two thousand and nine, Marine one had never had an extent or been attacked. However, in two thousand and six, prison George Bosh George W. Bush boarded Marine one with the departing press secretary, but the helicopter would not work, so the prison lifted a car. By the way, the former VH three Marine ones at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library. Mess of Marine one is the proferdal tunate to motorkids, which can be expensive and logically difficult.
Speaker 7: There you go.
Speaker 3: Anyway. As a security measure, Marine one often flies in a group of as many as five identical helicopters. One helicopter carries a president while the other serve as decoys. Upon take off, these helicopters shift in formation to obscure location of the president. This has been referred to as a presidential shell game. Marine one is also equiped with stentimentary anti missile counter measures, such as flares to counter hexity missiles and cheff to counter radio guided missiles. To edit the security of Marine one, every member of HTMIX one is required to pass a Yankee White background check before touching any of the helicopters used for presential travel. I found that interesting to get in touch with talking boy racers and Trump and the anthem at the rugby that was shocking, apparently, Marcus. When the anthem is played in slow tempo, try and sing the words of twinkle twiggered little start of the music, and you'll find that that's a match because the anthem was written to that tune. Marcus. Even in Roman times people complained about young men racing through the streets on their chariots. Yes, the cost of staff for counselors high. The Sea of and n City Council's paid four hundred andy three thousand. What does she do, Oh, she does a great deal. She's like a sea of a big company. It's a fairly big job in a council. Chief executive You've got a huge number of staff under your under your watch. It's a big business I think it's pretty standard or council chief exexcutive. But because its a big business position, you need people have an extremely high caliber for those jobs. So yeah, they're not just something that goes to meetings. It's something that runs the whole shebang. And that pay rate would be set by the councils after input from the high salaries commissioned all sorts of people. So yeah, you want have a quality person running the whole show, otherwise it would be a disaster. Anyway. Oh, by the way, this is Trump just before he goes to go on the helicopter. Have listened to this.
Speaker 17: Israel as soon as we made the deal, they came out and they dropped the load of bombs, the likes of which I've never seen before, the biggest load that we've seen. I'm not happy with Israel. You know, when I say, okay, now you have twelve hours, you don't go out in the first hour, just drop everything you have on it. So I'm not happy with them. I'm not happy with Iron either, But I'm really unhappy if Israel's going out this morning because the one rocket that didn't land, that was shot perhaps by mistake, that didn't land. I'm not happy about that. Have we basically have two countries that have been fighting so long and so hard that they don't no what they're doing. You understand that.
Speaker 3: He is furious, looks like he's gonna blow old Trump. God help us. Anyway, there we go. Yeah, not happy at all. Twenty five to twelve, looking forward to you. Drag racing, that's what run about, Marcus Man. Years ago I went to queak Key Street drag. Someone put d'sil on the road, all the flash cars taking off trying to do burnout. Me and Thisss and Sunny drove off, nicety friends. They just started a great burnout. I had no idea. There we go a lot of people who have enjoyed their days doing burnout, and we've got Trump swearing. Seems quite unstatesman like. Is ditch the tie and the hat. Least surprising news ever, there's a cease fight didn't hold, Marcus. I wasn't watching DC a couple of weeks ago and saw Trump fly out in the white that spectacular helicopter, a beautiful green color and so shiny. Wayne AT's Marcus Welcomes.
Speaker 5: Okay, I don't know how many people know about it, but Tony Quinn has put a big skid pad in down at Hampton Downs down there that people can go there and use. I think you've got to pay a nominal fee that go user. But it's a massive, big concrete skid pad and.
Speaker 4: I didn't know that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's huge. It's right out and side, right out in out of their main office. I've been down there a few times. I don't been on there myself, but I've been down there, watched the occasional day down there and there's it gets fairly well used, but not I don't know how often it's opened.
Speaker 3: It's quite a big deal, that isn't It's quite There's apartments and all sorts of things there, aren't there?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, massively a very expensive apartment.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think you have to be a car person to want to stay there, wouldn't you.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah, well I think a lot of them are.
Speaker 3: I'm just to see what I'm looking at on Google Maps. Where is the skid peg out the front of it?
Speaker 7: Is it?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, out? I suppose it's probably about thirty meters by thirty meters looks huge.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'll see if I can get some more information about that, Wayne, Thanks for that. There we go. That's just south of Auckland people, just just south of the drags at Meddy medi Anyway, twenty two to twelve, you on talk Marcus to the end here till midnight. Got to be a part of it. Trump is furious, an explete of ridden. So yeah, well, he thought he had done the great thing. Now it appears that perhaps they are not obliterated in a way he told them. I suppose do he want of the hum out of there because now it's sort of been sequestered. Anyway, guestplay for stories to tell us whether he's done the right thing in time? Eight hundred and eighty, ten eighty. I don't know. It's Marcus, welcome, give.
Speaker 16: You hear Marcus, could hear your voice?
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 16: Just a quick note on current situation with President Trump. I think he's he's upset because it what's happened with the supposed breach of ceasepies. It jeopardizes his a long term vision of a Nobel Priest Peace Prize. I think he's got of annoys him the most. Oh that's my theory, and.
Speaker 3: I think he probably saw himself this would be his legacy move. He would be the guy that stopped Iran getting the nuclear getting nuclear warheads. But you know, yeah, some say it could have accelerated them because there'd be so few curious. It's what they'll do. They'll double down and be yeah so I mean goodness.
Speaker 16: Oh and in the essence here if you started this because he anyway, he took he he broke the curry, he.
Speaker 3: Pulled them out. Yeah, he pulled them out, the inspectors and took your.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 3: Nice to hear from you, thank you. That's I need some sleep. But yes, no one liked the anthem and mainspreads. Shouldn't have set them up like that. They should actually get people and actually make sure they're going to do a good performance. Give them the proper tempo. They'll just be young musicians trying to get out in life. They don't want to be vilified for how bad they did. You know, they make them do it proper or you get western ra, but you don't set them up to fail. That's terrible. They have families that was tuning into it. How do you think we went, mum, Well it was but slow. It's going to protect people from things like that. That's not good, is it?
Speaker 7: Oh boy?
Speaker 3: Anyway?
Speaker 1: For more from Marcus slash Nights, listen live to News Talk Set B from eight pm weekdays, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.