Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from news Talks.
Speaker 2: Right now, it is time for the panel and to introduce. I normally come up with some sort of smart ale introduction for my guests, especially if they're a bit long in the tooth. But I thought, but I thought, no, not this time. He is the silver Fox of journalism. He's an institution. He's Mark Kreisel.
Speaker 1: Mark.
Speaker 3: Hello, how are you? Shortest one ever? What's that?
Speaker 4: That's the shortest one ever? Well, but I've parodied you too much? Yes, but how are you? I'm good, mate. You don't get a body like this without a lot of hard work. Thank god, I'm on radio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's sort of a silver fox, but not quite as silver.
Speaker 3: It was just as much of a fox, of course. He's the resident builder Fox. It is Pete Wolfcamp.
Speaker 5: Hello, Pete.
Speaker 2: I don't know where that long in the tooth thing came out of. We're all long in the tooth, aren't we? Well beyond your generation?
Speaker 3: Zed? That sounds like you're just digging a big hole for yourself. Yeah, okay, I think let's move on to but how are you? Pete?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I'm pretty good.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Keeping out of mischief.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's still plenty on.
Speaker 3: So how much time do you spend on the tools these days?
Speaker 5: I hung a door yesterday, well, hung very well. Oh no, just slotted straight in.
Speaker 4: It's really fantastic.
Speaker 3: That was great. Does that mean you're not spending a lot of the hanging of a door as.
Speaker 5: Your your extraordinary part of my week? To be fair, it had been a job that I'd promised someone that I would do for a long time, and then for any number of reasons, I didn't get round to doing it. And then yesterday it was like, right, I'm going to go and do that.
Speaker 4: Hanging your door must be sorry, Peter, hanging your door must be hard, harder than it looks.
Speaker 2: It looks hard. Actually, be honest, I think just right, you know.
Speaker 5: I feel I've got to be completely honest. It was a kitchen door, right, so it's too click on it just okay, okay. But yes, doors have this magical ability where you can take a door off, work on it, and when you go to hang it again, it's chained shape. Yeah, it won't fit. It happens almost every single time.
Speaker 3: And that's are you talking about?
Speaker 2: If you just take it off at the hinges or if you actually take off the hinge plates and all that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can drive the pins out and you go put it back in and it doesn't fit.
Speaker 4: Years ago, a long time, another life away. I used to be a fencing contract and.
Speaker 3: I think that was part of one of your other introductions.
Speaker 4: We've moved on from that. We've moved on, but used to hang gates and it was it was so hard just getting it right.
Speaker 3: I took a lot of a fence from that. Oh god, do we have a drum roll for that? There we go.
Speaker 5: I brother used to do of fencing in this company was called Parry and Thrust.
Speaker 3: That's not bad.
Speaker 2: Actually that is quite a good name for a fencing company.
Speaker 3: A little confusing for some.
Speaker 2: But yeah, hey, now the Olympics are underway. Firstly, are you guys Olympic junkies?
Speaker 3: Are're looking forward to the Olympics?
Speaker 5: Peter, I don't know if i'd describe myself as an Olympic junkie, but there there are parts of it that will be spectacular. I'm not sure about them. I'm not going to start for the breakdancing, for example. All this is skateboarding in there as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, skateboarding surfing will be amazing.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 5: I saw those waves out at Tahiti in Chiapu.
Speaker 4: It's like one of the scariest, most spectacular waves in the world.
Speaker 3: And I love this.
Speaker 4: Like they've got the sailing of Marseille, they've got the surfing in Tahiti. I think it's yeah, they've made the most had the opening ceremony.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, before we get onto that, actually that you mentioned the breakdancing because you have written off the back break dancing, I think there's going to be a lot of curious watching and you're probably gonna look at it and go, how.
Speaker 3: The hell do that?
Speaker 5: Sure, it's spectacular, I'm just not sure that it qualifies.
Speaker 2: As swimming snchronized swimming. I mean, that's one of the joys of life times and.
Speaker 4: The Olympics are one of those things you grow into Like when they come it's like, oh my god, it's the Olympics again. And then as you you grow into it, you know you got is the athletics and there's something amazing there, or there's a weightlifted doing something extraordinary, and once those personnelity do start to grow with it, you get into it. But I don't think it's something you look forward to as much.
Speaker 5: Looking forward to the Veldrome events. Yeah, the Karen and they those things.
Speaker 3: That's phenomenal.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: Actually, the thing is there's so much to choose from. As I went to have a look at the guide and thinking what am I going to watch? When you realize, you know, there's just you can't keep up with it all obviously because it's just so much. I used to traditionally used to love the gymnastics because I don't know, it's just in the days where we only had one or two channels probably, But the track and field we've I mean, we've got the prospect of some medals on the track and field, which to me, to me, a track and field medal is pretty much the ultimate for Olympics because I don't know why, but because it's just I mean, the idea of Hamish getting a gold medal or possibly in the in the Hamish care Actually I suddenly had a mental blank on his name. But Eliza McCartney could be in there as well, I think.
Speaker 4: God, and I apologize, but I forget her name. That great woman's sprinter, Oh Hobbs so hot, so she's amazing and she comes from Taranaki as well, which makes it doubly amazing.
Speaker 2: So no, I actually I think I think if she gets the final, that.
Speaker 5: Would be just I think the final would be amazing.
Speaker 2: To get to the semi final would be pretty good as well. But there's something about I mean, well, to me, getting into the semi final final of one hundred meters is one of the greater Olympic achievements I can think of, because I don't know, it's just it's the ultimate, the sprint, the track and field, isn't it.
Speaker 4: I remember as a kid we were living in Wellington at the time. I was going to Plympton School and one of the teacher's husbands was a member of the rowing eight and he brought his gold medal to school and I just wasn't in the class. She wasn't my teacher, but I remember walking past that classroom and catching a glimpse of it through the window. Wow, and oh my god, what a thrill. And I think there's something about the Olympics with those athletes that come from a lot of small towns, come from all over New Zealand, and not all just from Auckland or Wellington or christ Church. There's something really aspirational about it.
Speaker 3: I love that about them.
Speaker 2: I'm not I wasn't really and I'm not really into some of the sports that have their own masters, like the tennis and the golf, And in a way, I wasn't really that into the Sevens until I watched the guys play their first game against South Africa, and I thought, this team are amazing and I couldn't believe again and lost. I just thought the skill level, and I suddenly realized how much I cared about the Sevens. I didn't realize until until I watched. But it's because in that first game against South Africa, the skill level and just we just looked amazing.
Speaker 3: And then and then I don't know why.
Speaker 2: We faced how did we face a team that we beaten pool play and ended up facing them for the quarterfinals. But anyway, yes, okay, let's move on to the opening ceremony. Mark, you haven't seen.
Speaker 4: It, No, I haven't, so you guys can't say anything spoiler alert.
Speaker 3: I'll watch it late.
Speaker 4: I watched, and I'm not really an opening ceremonies kind of guy, but I did love the London one where they threw the queen out of helicopter James Bond and they built the beautiful hill with all the villages and things like that. I thought that was amazing. So I will have a look at the Paris one. You guys need to tell me if it's worth it. I look, Peter, where you go.
Speaker 5: Well, judging by the noise coming from the front room at my place while I was having a snooze, it sounded spectacular and I caught the end. And what I absolutely love is the way in which Paris has been showcased. I think by putting so many of the events in the city. You know, I think the beach volleyball is going to be, you know, within viewing distance of the Eiffel Tower. I mean, that's spectacular. And so if you've got all of these fantastic, well renowned, you know, iconic in the best sense of the word locations, why not have your games right there? I think that's spectacular.
Speaker 2: Of course, the big core was them to have to not have the opening ceremony in a stadium, and to feature Paris, and to have it along the Seine. And look, it's an incredibly long ceremony. Every opening ceremony is long because you're in the parade of athletes and things, and they interspersed it with different acts. Lady Gaga was there. I actually thought I thought it was just brilliant. It's funny you see people. I don't think Australia liked it because everyone everyone in Australia expect their team to be early. But of course they were towards the end because I think they're hosting in about eight years time or something. But I just looked at it was so French and I'm a bit of a Francophile. I love you know, I love Paris. I thought it was absolutely brilliant. But of course it's all in real time, so you can't people are so used to their Instagram feeds. So when the horse, you know, the horse gets off the Seine and it sort of has that transition, it's in real time, so you they were interspersing it with different clips and things. But the bit that nailed me totally was Celine Dion seeing at the end. And the reason was I knew she was, you know, we'd heard she was singing and she was going to and I'd read that and watch it live, watched it delayed on you you should sing on the Eiffel Tower, and I thought, you know, we know what she's been through with her with his stiff person syndrome and the loss of her voice and her recuperation on it. And I was ready for it to be quite a frail but sort of good enough representation. And she stood up that and she there and she blew me away. I think it was probably one of the more moving things I've seen it along tear streaming in my checks. I was I was quite overcome by.
Speaker 5: This.
Speaker 2: Might be it crank it up of it there anyway, So she and it's one of my favorite songs as well, Edith PF, because I was thinking they're going to do a bit of ed PF and she came on singing.
Speaker 3: That and I thought it was just I gave it. I thought it was sublime. What about you, Pete.
Speaker 5: Look, maybe I don't have the quite like anytion you do with it, but no, Look, I think it's also the human story because she's been quite open about in the struggles that she's been through. I thought it was a phenomenal recovery or interlude in her illness or whatever. So to see her there exemplified something of the human spirit, and that's beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so and one of the I mean I did see some it was it was a fairly gender diverse sort of parade as well. I think Fox News pundits we're not very happy with it.
Speaker 3: But I was like, how, it's just so French, you do what.
Speaker 4: French a jot about what anybody filled the anglers.
Speaker 3: Well, actually there's a reason the French a bit arrogant.
Speaker 4: They have good reasons to be. Yeah, that's true. I love the French as well. I think they're They're hilarious, infuriating.
Speaker 5: And to point out that when the fire broke out in Notre Dame, right, that's mark On went, we're going to fix it, which they have and he said we're going to do it by the Olympics, which they didn't. But I'm taking nothing away from that because I've been watching the restoration.
Speaker 2: Phenomenal performance hangout. They even had performance hanging out the side of Notre Dump. They incorporated everything. It was just it was fantastic.
Speaker 4: And also there was the classic French thing with the rail service going down because of.
Speaker 3: Well it could be some French.
Speaker 2: Well they think the Russia, they think I saw something in the news about it being for some sort of far left.
Speaker 4: It could be could mean no one's no one's taken the blame. This is the classic thing. I think every time I've been to France the rail service has been disrupted or there's been a strike or something like that. There just it'll be some passionate group somewhere who's who.
Speaker 3: Sounds like they did very well.
Speaker 2: I wonder what it was like for the athletes, because I did see somebody saying it's a shame that the athletes didn't get to hear the chair of the crowd and walking into a stadium. It's like, well, if you want to gear the chair of the crowd when a medal, then when a medal, and it all will be all.
Speaker 3: But you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I mean that's anyway. Look I give it, I give it ten out of ten. And look it's it's difficult to get everything right logistically phenomenally blew my mind. Then I heard of the budget was over a billion pounds or something zero.
Speaker 5: No, seriously would be, wouldn't.
Speaker 2: I mean even that horse that went up the scene, I thought that mechanical horse that was going, but the guy I was riding up the Seine, I thought even that. I wonder how much cost to build that. That would have been many many thousands of euros just for that little thing. And then ah no, anyway, there we gave Look, if you haven't seen it, people watch the first bit with the aerial view of Paris, check out Gaga and then crank Ford, you know, look at look for New Zealand arriving on their boat as well, and then crank Ford to the last ten minutes and boom.
Speaker 4: Was our boat on foils.
Speaker 3: That would have been something.
Speaker 5: Taking everybody else on the cyclists.
Speaker 2: I think that might have I think that might have actually caused some problems logistically if we'd jumped the queue.
Speaker 3: But anyway, hey, look to tell you what.
Speaker 2: We're going to come back and discuss lots of other things as well, but we're gonna take a break now. And it's twenty one past three. This is news Talk z B.
Speaker 6: You know I'm falling apart in final gaggle.
Speaker 2: Yes, welcome back to the weekend collective huntin Beverage.
Speaker 3: My esteemed guests are Pete wolf Camp and Mark Kreisel.
Speaker 2: That's better than the sort of backhanded sort of insults I gave you at the start, wasn't that, guys?
Speaker 3: Sorry? About that, you know anyway?
Speaker 2: Anyway, Hey, look, just one last thing on the Olympics. I still can't quite get get my head around the Canadians women's football team. So the coach has been sent home because it turns out that that drone that they flew over a football fans training session was not their first rodeo rodeo rodeo.
Speaker 6: The Canadians, of all people, Yeah there meant to be nice, like if it was like, I don't know, the Americans or someone who's ruthlessly wants to win all the time, but the Canadians, they have state healthcare and everything.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 2: And look, I'm dumb enough about soccer to wonder what they could possibly learn from watching a soccer football from wondering what they could have possibly learned, unless they would just wanted to know what sort of formation the women were running.
Speaker 3: And to be.
Speaker 4: Honest, the White fans aren't a great threat.
Speaker 3: Well too one close. They got the first goal.
Speaker 2: I live in hope and our defense look pretty good for quite a while.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Pete, I.
Speaker 5: Must be sending home the coach scene. I guess from an Olympic point of view, you want to nip anything like this in the bud, right, So it sends a clear signal to anyone else who might be thinking about using some sort of underhand tests across the sports.
Speaker 4: They should have they should have docked their points, that they should have forfeited that match and we should have got it, and that that would have learned them.
Speaker 5: The hard thing with that, though, is it hits on the players, right, and the players had nothing.
Speaker 4: To do with it.
Speaker 5: It would have been management.
Speaker 3: But everyone, it's all in.
Speaker 2: It's a team, your coaches, your physios, everyone, and if somebody's going to block the copy bok that battery.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, they hit the Russians over the drug thing. You know, they weren't allowed to compete for years.
Speaker 3: And that wasn't every.
Speaker 4: Russian athlete, just most of them, you know, so you know I think, yeah, I would adopt them points. I thought, you know if yeah, yeah. Oh by the way, just on the team thing. The other thing I forgot to mention was that there's a refuge Olympic team and they gave an award to the guy who has championed that cause, and I thought that was actually really beautiful. That was something towards the end as well that I thought that was a magnificent It is a magnificent idea. And the guy that gave the award to I can't remember, but he was the one who championed it. So are they stateless? They have no state for people basically in refugee. It's a refugee Olympic team. That's extraordinary, isn't that?
Speaker 5: That's fantastic?
Speaker 3: God, I'll get emotion at that moment. Does matter? Let's get into the other big.
Speaker 2: Story, which well, I mean, gosh, it's two weeks since, just under two weeks since someone took a shot at Donald Trump, and here we are now Joe Biden has is not going to be standing.
Speaker 3: It looks like it's pretty.
Speaker 2: Much in the bag for Kamala Harris before they announced her, I wouldn't have given the Democrats much of a.
Speaker 3: Shot full stop. But a week is a long time in politics, isn't it. Mark.
Speaker 4: Look, I think I know everybody said when when they made the attempt on Donald Trump's life, that that said he's won the you know aniz I mean like the guy or hate the guy. I mean, that was an extraordinary reaction to stand up and go fight, fight, fight, But things happened, so quickly now and things turn around. It feels like a long time ago, and it was probably a little over a week. And the thing is with America, I think America is desperate to believe. They love the idea of believing it's something new, and they can turn on a dime, you know, literally, And I think this has given some real momentum. It's somebody younger, it's fresher if they don't, you know, someone who wants to look forward rather than back. I think it's given them a real chance. And I had to look at the latest poll in the New York Times. Their neck and neck now, whereas before Trump was just pulling away.
Speaker 3: We'll see how that plays out.
Speaker 4: There will be a lot of nasty stuff happening in this election. I think they'll play on the fact that she's a woman. They'll play on the fact that she's an African American woman, she's an Asian American woman, and there'll be a lot of nasty stuff I think comes out. But I think there's going to be a real momentum behind her, and there's going to be a lot of young people and a lot of people who will vote this time because well, a lot of people just wouldn't have gone out for a number of new voter registrations.
Speaker 3: I think went through went through the roof people. Do you think, what do you think?
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, I think you're absolutely right, Mike in terms of how quickly this is mo and I agree with you. I saw the assassination and then thought, oh, well that's that says ticket to the White House effectively, and then you know, Joe Biden finally finally, finally, finally accepting reality and standing down endorsing Kamala. I mean, whether or not the Democrats at their convention decide to sort of self destruct and have some tortuous election process, or whether they'll go actually the best thing for all of us is just to appear united and go ahead. Then it becomes a question of who's the running mate, who's the VP.
Speaker 4: They don't have time, they haven't got time, they just got no time. Well, they've got to get behind her and go, go, go.
Speaker 2: She's got Obama's he's Michelle, and Barack Obama just an indorster as well.
Speaker 4: I think just sender A Dorn and I think there's something in this now that if someone who's around for a while and they get kicked around and you're pulled apart and you look inside their homes, you know them really well. But if someone comes in late in the game, there's real energy in that they new they haven't you haven't got sick of them yet, and they just roll along. And I think, you know, not that I'm saying this should be a tactic for all political parties, but if you can get into like a month before the election, it probably helps.
Speaker 2: Here's here's the thing as well. And look, I've got to own up to. Before she was sort of anointed, I thought, oh, I don't know, and I was impressed with her sort of four years ago, and then she dropped off the radar, and I thought, oh, maybe you were just all to anyway, I thought that it wouldn't work for her, But I actually, I'll make a prediction now. I actually think she's going to do it. Yeah, I think that the one thing. And I don't know how when else's reaction to this was, but the attack politics that Trump has played with Biden and all that sort of stuff, it just sounds like the tired old fat bully boy Trump rolling out the same sort of stuff.
Speaker 3: What did you call that?
Speaker 2: She was abum three weeks ago she was a bumer failed VP.
Speaker 3: He's trolling her.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if Americans might if we're all it doesn't matter about us, but if people might be getting a bit sick of that tired old, you know, Trump crap.
Speaker 4: All she has to do is stand up and say over and over and over again, sorry, pro choice, pro choice, pro choice, because there is over sixty percent of Americans believe in the right people's right to abortion. That those those those bills that have been driven through by the Republican led states have been incredibly unpopular. And women make up well over half half of the electorate. And if you you know, if you go against women, they're going to vote against you. So I think I think she's got a really good chance. There's still a lot of work to do, and that crazy system in America, the electoral college is a tough one. So it come down to places like Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Michigan, Ohio. You know, you know, Carmela might be like Hillary Clinton and win the popular vote but lose.
Speaker 2: Number she needs to the other The actually, the VP thing, I saw an article about the top of the four possible packs, because it's going to be a bloke, but the one who seems to be sneaking, screeping his mark Kelly Astronaut and his CV, I mean they to be he's impressive.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In fact, if it went for Garmela, he might have fancied his own chance at running for the.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he'll be hard to beat.
Speaker 5: He's also Gifford's husband, is that right, the woman who was shocked.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: And another guy called Jeff Bsher, who's another guy who's succeeded in some sort of conservative areas.
Speaker 4: He was a fighter pilots in the Gulf War.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, he's got a lot going on for him, and apparently he's very good on the border as well. He understands it really well and he's done some really good working around that.
Speaker 3: So okay, so call it who's going to win?
Speaker 2: I like making predictions because you know what, who cares if you get wrong. It's like a sporting prediction. I think I think she'll do it.
Speaker 3: I think she's going to go. There's still I mean, there's still.
Speaker 4: A long way to go.
Speaker 3: Can you think it happen here? It is?
Speaker 2: If I had to stick one hundred bucks in which one way a couple of weeks ago would have been like, I think I better put it on Trump, And I don't think i'd better.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 4: I just don't. I just don't want to see him back in there. I always remember there was a Canadian professor wrote about living in Canada during the Trump years, said it was like living above a meth lab.
Speaker 3: And I don't think.
Speaker 4: The world needs any more of that.
Speaker 3: The world is fragile.
Speaker 4: We're just getting over COVID and inflation and cost of living and everything like that. We do not need Donald Trump adds.
Speaker 3: That mix.
Speaker 2: Seems slightly anti climactic. But the Green Party AGM is kicking off today, possibly not capturing the same amount of headlines as Kamala Harris. But I guess the big issue they've got to sort out is the fate of form. Well that their former member Darling Tana, who is now I think she's independent, sitting there cozially next to the Mary Party.
Speaker 3: Isn't she ride the back.
Speaker 4: She's like in a little corner all by her own self.
Speaker 2: Although I saw an image I saw her sitting next to Debbie Naruwapaka when Debbie was talking to Parliament the other day. She was sitting in the in the seat next to her.
Speaker 3: She must have crept up.
Speaker 4: Her place is right at the back. I mean, I just think this is ridiculous.
Speaker 3: She's got to go.
Speaker 4: She got what two thousand votes or something all up. You know, she's just there on the coattails of the Green Party. I'm so sick of people going in and and and you know, on the party vote and then just doing something horrendous and then leaving and sitting there as an independent. It's honestly kick her.
Speaker 5: Out one hundred percent. And what I find staggering is that she you know.
Speaker 2: They she's pouns there. Well, she can change them anyway.
Speaker 5: Satana whose whose husband has run the business. Now, businesses fail all the time, that happens, but the liquidators report us out. One of the creditors of the business is the Inland Revenue Department. The figure that I saw was one hundred and forty four thousand dollars, right, which again, businesses, they fail, right, these things happen. However, she is in Parliament being paid by the tax payers while not paying tax.
Speaker 3: Yep, there's an iity there. That's very pete. That is a great it's good as.
Speaker 5: A business owner knows what it is to do your GST and your provisional tax and your terminal tax and all the rest of.
Speaker 4: It esc and then you don't. I think what hurts for the Greens too is it's anti migrants, you know, exploiting migrants. Yes came over, which would go really hard against the Greens who see themselves as a very principal party and will be tearing themselves apart internally about what to actually do with this.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing I don't There's a reason I like the Waker jumping legislation because it enables us to get rid of people like Darling Tanna, and there are some other examples we can probably think of a big back in history.
Speaker 3: But here's the other side of it.
Speaker 2: Though, I still don't like the idea that it puts this sort of onus on that puts all the control and the party in a way too much. And so I still haven't worked out whether I like the legislation, because if how many MPs are put into electric seats and they win an electorate, and do we know much more about them than we do about list MPs, and you cannot get rid of an electric MP. So I just wonder if it puts the onus on parties, any party, to make sure that the person they stick up there is the only.
Speaker 5: Reason that she is in parliament. Tanna is in parliament is because she joined with the Green Party righta to her own device that she would never be elected to the House of Representatives. So it's different. I think if it's an electoral vote, if I happen to vote for Joe who's in my electorate, and then he decides he doesn't like the party that he's been associated with, he could arguably still say well, I got those votes from my constituents, and.
Speaker 4: She's holding to see that that could be someone who would be really engaged in doing something positive and moving forward.
Speaker 3: You know, I mean to.
Speaker 2: Achieve I would be dishonest if I didn't repeat my comments I made it, and my earlier talkback show that. You know, it's hardly the seat's going to be filled with a high flag. I think the Greens are quite low on I think their depth seems to be to be a little bit shallow, and I find it kind of hard case and the part of me thinks, well, we're paying the salary for someone who's not going to be doing much anyway. This is hilarious. Stay in there, Darlene, it's just so entertaining.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, I think she should go. But I guess there's also the side where there are, you know, people who feel that they didn't leave the party, the party left them.
Speaker 3: You know, if your party.
Speaker 4: Does turn a smaller party turns and does something that you find something to take a principal stand on.
Speaker 3: I think that's quite different.
Speaker 2: But yes, that's right, you've been busted.
Speaker 3: Yeah, gusted, and.
Speaker 2: Actually, come on, leadership of the Green Bee leaders, don't wait for evem to go.
Speaker 3: We will vote on this. Just that's the way they roll.
Speaker 4: That's intriguing.
Speaker 5: As will they be able to be pragmatic, Well, it's going to be hilarious.
Speaker 3: We're going to find out.
Speaker 2: I think we might even be I'm not sure who we've got on our show tomorrow for politics, but we might be able to off some more further insight tomorrow. So you guys are going to have to stay tuned because it's going to.
Speaker 3: Be hot, hot, hot.
Speaker 2: We may just stay here, they just just stay in the road stretcher anyway.
Speaker 3: Anyway, right, we're going to take a break.
Speaker 2: It is at twenty one minutes to four News talk s B.
Speaker 3: It's stip Whosa feels like Gordy of Nose. Just how to take and welcome back to the weekend Collective.
Speaker 2: I do love it some of the texts of rolled and it always happens with American politics, saying you guys.
Speaker 3: Are so opinionated. The point and unfortunately, I guess sometimes we.
Speaker 4: All imagine listening to us if we didn't have an opinion mentioned, if we did.
Speaker 2: A week in collective, we will sit on the fence. Well, on the one hand, you could say such and such, but I don't know. On the other hand, what do you think? And Pete goes, well, you're right. On the one hand you could say this, but on there, Oh.
Speaker 4: Thank you for your contribution, Thank you for yours, Mark, thank you for thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Hey, just it is a political story, but it's not in terms of whether you right left or whatever. But Nelson Man next Smith wants to get rid of sandwich boards.
Speaker 5: No he doesn't.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm just reading the headline, Pete.
Speaker 5: The media today it's all about the bloody headlines.
Speaker 2: They're looking at. I think they're worried about obstacles on the pavement.
Speaker 3: Aren't they obscules.
Speaker 4: Or visual pollution?
Speaker 5: No, it's I think because I listened to the interview and so when he was talking to Hosking and saying, look, it's a proposal that's been put forward by some of the counselors who obviously have been lobbied by disability groups and sold which is fair enough. Around we're having reasonable access unimpeded access on the footpath. That makes sense, yes, But he's just going, look, it's just the timing's really bad.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: We've got retailers that are struggling already, and a number of them would say we get people walking into the store because they can see what the store's about because there's a sandwich board on there, but they're supposed to only have one and some as most people do kind of trying.
Speaker 2: So just don't impede the sidewalk. If you've got a wide sidewalk, then sure, go with your sandwich board. And if it's stopping people getting along it, then get rid of it.
Speaker 3: But it's common.
Speaker 4: I spent a day once with a friend of mine's brother who is in a wheelchair going around was a Wellington actually going around shops and oh my god, what an eye opener. I'd never ever really you know, typical selfish, able bodied person, never really thought about it. But oh my god, just going somewhere with a wheelchair and little steps and places that you don't expect them, and stores and stuff. So I mean, I was completely humbled by that day. So I'm actually on side to take and get rid of the bloody things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: Also, if you've got a dog and you're taking a dog for a walk along the sidewalk, you retract, please retract that leash.
Speaker 3: God, the number of times you get some little shit.
Speaker 2: To tangled around your ankor yes, well I couldn't think of.
Speaker 4: As long as that in a bag.
Speaker 3: That's that's the right.
Speaker 2: Who thought Mark Krassle could be so mischievous with a sense of humor? Anyway, just another story here. I think this is another bad headline for Boeing. Two astronauts have been stuck up in space for forty nine days after venturing out on what was supposed to be an eight day trip. It's forty one days longer than their plan mission because they're Boeing built ride home, it is full of leaks, full of leaks, will have to spend at least a few more weeks, so they'll have to spend a few more weeks at the aboard the International Space Station. I guess when you sign up to go into space, you sign up for that sort of thing.
Speaker 5: But I can't imagine they'd be too upset. I mean, it'd be an amazing experience. You'd want to hang out there for as long as you could, which I.
Speaker 4: Well, it depends how long you've got.
Speaker 3: You know, you can't pop down the that's right.
Speaker 5: Borrowing food from the Russians.
Speaker 2: Of course, it does seem that Boeing is yeah right. I mean, if you we're starting up an airline, Mark.
Speaker 3: Krysl, No, I wouldn't get a bowing.
Speaker 2: I mean, you air Bus, you'd be chatting to them unless you've got a real knockdown to it.
Speaker 4: None of it really makes sense, isn't it? Bignks of metal flying through the air. But you do have to hope for the best.
Speaker 2: Indeed, hey, look we're going to take a moment. We'll be back with our panelists. I'm with Mark Kryzel and Pete wolf Camp. I'm Tim Beverages the Weekend Collective. It is fourteen minutes to four.
Speaker 3: News Talk said bat.
Speaker 2: And welcome back to the Weekend Collective. Twenty seventh of July is and my, well, that sound like it's the start of the show with just the last bite of the apple or the bite of the cherry with Pete wolf Camp and Mark Kreisel. Look, guys, I'm a big fan of bacon, so I was wondering what you're you know, whether this would influence the choice of where you buy your bacon. But the winner of the best bacon and ham in New Zealand has been crowned Upper Huts. Cameron Harrison Butchery has received the Supreme Winner in the bacon category for its honey coured streaky bacon and Sam's Butchery and Silvadaale won the Supreme Award for ham.
Speaker 4: Now good, I love, I do. Who doesn't look well? Okay, I know a lot of people vegans, Muslims, Jewish people don't like bacon. But yeah, I don't want to offend you, but I love bacon and you guys are missing out.
Speaker 2: Actually it's funny how I mean bacon at a cafe If you don't like to have the odd bacon and eggs, if a cafe has a good bacon, then you'll go back there. But if it hasn't, they'll never see me again.
Speaker 3: It's all about and the.
Speaker 5: Coffee, the bacon, and the coffee buddies.
Speaker 2: Oh, how good, Well that's absolutely I haven't had one of those for a long time.
Speaker 5: But just finish my show on Sunday nine o'clock Central Flea markets on there's always a young fellow out the back there frying up bacon and egg buddy. So I go to the flea market, grab a coffee from Kinship, and then go out and have bacony buddy. It's a perfect morning.
Speaker 2: I just I just am fascinated with how different bacon can be as opposed to all the other cuts of meat. I mean, a steak generally to me as a steak, and maybe it's the way you cook it and how how much fat there isn't it? But with bacon, it's just the art of curing bacon is it's a mystery.
Speaker 4: What do you eat if you if you can't get bacon?
Speaker 5: Facon?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 3: What do you mean? What?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: What was that word?
Speaker 5: Are you not a Cosmopoltan man about town?
Speaker 3: Facon?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Who's making facon?
Speaker 3: Are you voting? Are you wading for the Green Party in our Pete Walk camp. Oh, I do know? Okay, when have you had fake it?
Speaker 5: Local cafe Von Dellen Dimport and Sam there serves up a kimchi pancake. I would be into that kimchi pancake. What is avocado?
Speaker 4: And I think I think he does? Does he do the or have you eaten fake it? Who's who's making fake it?
Speaker 2: I just think if you want to add us, if you like the taste of bacon, just.
Speaker 4: I also don't understand if you're not going to eat meat, why eat something.
Speaker 3: That looks like meat or it's a strange one, doesn't it? Yeah? I guess.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know what do I do?
Speaker 5: Some friends of us did a spaghetti bolonnaise using what's kimchi?
Speaker 3: What is kimchi?
Speaker 4: Kimchi is cabbage, Like basically it's delicious. It's delicious. I have icy and good and I have to say when I went to North Korea, seriously, the best thing I ate there, it's absolutely delicious.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Facon, Yeah, so is it because they don't serve bacon that you had it or you went I'm going to go oh, okay, really and did they have bacon?
Speaker 5: The Delitarian.
Speaker 3: Did they have bacon as an option? Though? Do they have bacon? They have no? Surely?
Speaker 5: Thinking about the eggs benedict with HALLOOMI see there's a vegetari.
Speaker 4: But think about it if he had a break in, If he had a break in, would someone steal the facon or the bacon?
Speaker 3: That tells me there's time to squeeze. Another topic.
Speaker 2: If we've got bad punts from Mark Kreysel again, that's the second bad one today company third possibly I think we should just mention this for fun. But in nineteenth century shipwreck filled with champagne has been found off the coast of Sweden. It's loaded with dozens of bottles of champagne and mineral water. It does sound I don't know, it just sounds wonderful.
Speaker 3: Really.
Speaker 5: I love those stories stories.
Speaker 3: So it's an amazing though.
Speaker 4: So the mineral water apparently back in the day was as precious as champagne. It was only drying by noble people and the wealthy, and then and when it went places that it had to have security with it as well.
Speaker 2: Well. I think that the reason that people drank. The peasants in France drank wine and when they're out in the field.
Speaker 3: Was because the fermentation was.
Speaker 2: Probably the reason that you weren't going to get an upset stomach from drinking some dodgy source of water.
Speaker 3: Would that be it?
Speaker 4: Yes, that could be it, which is also what Kim Butcher does.
Speaker 2: Okay, and the will come and we're going to be talking about kimchi pancakes again. Where's that place you get the kim chi pancakes and faking once we'll give them a plug because you've said it's pretty down town, which one von Dell von del Cafe and dimport. Okay, just quickly, one last thing. Are you into animated movies?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Not.
Speaker 2: The reason I brought this up last is because Inside Out Too has just become the highest gross grossing highest gross sorry, I think of kim Chi has become the highest grossing animated film taken out. Here's the number, one point four six billion dollars.
Speaker 3: So I haven't seen it and I have never heard of it. As my daughter who went.
Speaker 4: Last week ten out of ten she said, and I think it's a really good movie in terms of something that that helps the kids to understand their emotions and that sort of thing. So it's got a it's got a good, good message. Plus it's entertaining.
Speaker 5: We've seen Inside Out one as the family. Haven't seen Inside Out too yet, but it is on the list.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I'll check it out. Actually, I didn't notice by the way back to the whole Olympic thing they had they did fixture?
Speaker 3: Did they feature what were those? Oh I've forgotten that now minions.
Speaker 5: That's right, I didn't even watch it, and I still know more.
Speaker 2: French creation the minions, the minions because yeah, well, I mean French.
Speaker 3: Well why were that the parison? Why were they fixing the parents?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Maybe I don't know. Maybe this was a cute idea.
Speaker 5: Probably how about dead pooling there too, that'd be the same.
Speaker 2: Hey, guys, thank you, Oh no, hey, thanks so much for joining us. Mark Cries or people Camp. We're going to take it out with a little bit more of Celine Dion from the closing of the ceremony. If you get the chance to go and see.
Speaker 3: It, do that. We'll be back shortly.
Speaker 2: It is time for the one roof radio show and Helen Sullivan joins us, and we'll look forward to company and taking a cause.
Speaker 3: Then. But enough from me.
Speaker 2: Let's have a little bit of Saline to take us to the break at four minutes to four.
Speaker 3: News Talk said by.
Speaker 1: For more from the Weekend collective, listen live to News Talks be weekends from three pm, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio